Genomes and Genes
Summary: A proprotein convertase with specificity for the proproteins of PROALBUMIN; COMPLEMENT 3C; and VON WILLEBRAND FACTOR. It has specificity for cleavage near paired ARGININE residues that are separated by two amino acids.
Publications290 found, 100 shown here
- Proteolytic activation of tick-borne encephalitis virus by furinK Stadler
Institute of Virology, University of Vienna, Austria
J Virol 71:8475-81. 1997..out in vivo and in vitro studies with tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) virus to investigate the possible role of furin in this process as well as the functional consequences of prM cleavage...
- Prediction of proprotein convertase cleavage sitesPeter Duckert
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, Building 208, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Protein Eng Des Sel 17:107-12. 2004..In mammals, seven members have been identified, with furin being the one first discovered and best characterized...
- Hepatitis C virus-induced furin and thrombospondin-1 activate TGF-β1: role of TGF-β1 in HCV replicationLance D Presser
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, H M Bligh Cancer Research Laboratories, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Chicago Medical School, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
Virology 412:284-96. 2011..Using siRNA approach we demonstrated that HCV-induced furin and thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1) are involved in the proteolytic activation of TGF-β1...
- Furin processing of semaphorin 3F determines its anti-angiogenic activity by regulating direct binding and competition for neuropilinMatthew W Parker
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry and Center for Structural Biology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Biochemistry 49:4068-75. 2010..Semaphorin 3F (Sema3F) possesses an RXRR furin recognition site in its C-terminus, and we demonstrate that it is proteolytically processed...
- RSPO4 is the major gene in autosomal-recessive anonychia and mutations cluster in the furin-like cysteine-rich domains of the Wnt signaling ligand R-spondin 4Nadina Ortiz Brüchle
Department of Human Genetics, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 128:791-6. 2008..Thus, we postulate that RSPO4 mutations preferentially cluster in the furin-like cysteine-rich domains of R-spondin 4, which is in line with experimental data proposing that for beta-catenin ..
- The proprotein convertase furin in human trophoblast: Possible role in promoting trophoblast cell migration and invasionZ Zhou
Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
Placenta 30:929-38. 2009b>Furin, a proprotein convertase (PC), is ubiquitously expressed and implicated in many physiological and pathological processes. This study is aimed to identify the role of furin in human trophoblast invasion and migration...
- Insights from bacterial subtilases into the mechanisms of intramolecular chaperone-mediated activation of furinUjwal Shinde
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97229, USA
Methods Mol Biol 768:59-106. 2011..from the folding and activation of prokaryotic subtilisin, discuss how this has molded our understanding of furin maturation, and foray into the concept of pH sensors, which may represent a paradigm that PCs (and possibly other ..
- Phase I trial of "bi-shRNAi(furin)/GMCSF DNA/autologous tumor cell" vaccine (FANG) in advanced cancerNeil Senzer
Mary Crowley Cancer Research Centers, Dallas, Texas 75201, USA
Mol Ther 20:679-86. 2012..colony-stimulating factor (GMCSF) and a novel bifunctional short hairpin RNAi (bi-shRNAi) targeting furin convertase, thereby downregulating endogenous immunosuppressive transforming growth factors (TGF) β1 and β2...
- Processing of the Ebola virus glycoprotein by the proprotein convertase furinV E Volchkov
Institut fur Virologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, 35011 Marburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:5762-7. 1998..GP is cleaved by the proprotein convertase furin. This was indicated by the observation that cleavage did not occur when GP was expressed in furin-defective LoVo ..
- Proinsulin processing by the subtilisin-related proprotein convertases furin, PC2, and PC3S P Smeekens
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Chicago, IL 60637
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:8822-6. 1992..viruses expressing rat proinsulin I coinfected into COS-7 cells with recombinant vaccinia virus expressing human furin, human PC2, mouse PC3 (subtilisin-related proprotein convertases 1-3, respectively), or yeast Kex2 indicate that ..
- Proteolytic activation of the spike protein at a novel RRRR/S motif is implicated in furin-dependent entry, syncytium formation, and infectivity of coronavirus infectious bronchitis virus in cultured cellsYoshiyuki Yamada
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Proteos, Singapore 138673
J Virol 83:8744-58. 2009..S) protein of the coronavirus (CoV) infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) is cleaved into S1 and S2 subunits at the furin consensus motif RRFRR(537)/S in virus-infected cells...
- Inhibition of furin-mediated cleavage activation of HIV-1 glycoprotein gp160S Hallenberger
Institut fur Virologie, Philips Universität Marburg, Germany
Nature 360:358-61. 1992..found that the enzyme activating the haemagglutinin of fowl plague virus (FPV), an avian influenza virus, is furin. Furin, a subtilisin-like eukaryotic endoprotease, has a substrate specificity for the consensus amino-acid ..
- Prototype foamy virus envelope glycoprotein leader peptide processing is mediated by a furin-like cellular protease, but cleavage is not essential for viral infectivityAnja Duda
Institut fur Virologie, Medizinische Fakultät Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Virol 78:13865-70. 2004..Here we provide strong evidence that furin itself or a furin-like protease and not the signal peptidase complex is responsible for both processing events...
- Processing of CD109 by furin and its role in the regulation of TGF-beta signalingS Hagiwara
Department of Pathology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Oncogene 29:2181-91. 2010..as a 205 kDa glycoprotein, which is then processed in the Golgi apparatus into 180 kDa and 25 kDa proteins by furin (furinase)...
- Increased expression of the pro-protein convertase furin predicts decreased survival in ovarian cancerRobert E Page
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Cell Oncol 29:289-99. 2007..We sought to determine if there was an association between the expression of the ubiquitously expressed PCs, furin, PACE-4, PC-5 and PC-7, and ovarian tumor progression.
- A new common integration site, Int7, for the mouse mammary tumor virus in mouse mammary tumors identifies a gene whose product has furin-like and thrombospondin-like sequencesWilliam Lowther
Mammary Biology and Tumorigenesis Laboratory, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Virol 79:10093-6. 2005..that is 2 to 3 kb 5' of the transcription initiation site of a gene, 2610028F08RIK, whose gene product contains furin-like and thrombospondin-like sequences...
- The self-inhibited structure of full-length PCSK9 at 1.9 A reveals structural homology with resistin within the C-terminal domainEric N Hampton
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, 10675 John Jay Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14604-9. 2007..This three-dimensional homology provides insight into the function of PCSK9 at the molecular level and will help to dissect the link between PCSK9 and CHD...
- Constitutive alpha-secretase cleavage of the beta-amyloid precursor protein in the furin-deficient LoVo cell line: involvement of the pro-hormone convertase 7 and the disintegrin metalloprotease ADAM10E Lopez-Perez
IPMC du CNRS, UMR6097, Valbonne, France
J Neurochem 76:1532-9. 2001..Here we report on the fact that the furin-deficient LoVo cells are devoid of regulated PKC-dependent sAPPalpha secretion and therefore represent an ..
- The proprotein convertasesD F Steiner
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 1028, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 2:31-9. 1998..b>Furin (SPC1) has emerged as one of the major processing enzymes of the constitutive secretory pathway and its ..
- An antibody delivery system for regulated expression of therapeutic levels of monoclonal antibodies in vivoJianmin Fang
Department of Preclinical Oncology and Immunology, Cell Genesys, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Mol Ther 15:1153-9. 2007..that drives expression of the antibody heavy and light chains linked by a 2A self-processing peptide and a furin cleavage site...
- Cleavage of group 1 coronavirus spike proteins: how furin cleavage is traded off against heparan sulfate binding upon cell culture adaptationC A M de Haan
Virology Division, Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medcine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 1, 3584 CL Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Virol 82:6078-83. 2008..Here, however, we show that some group 1 coronavirus spike proteins carry a furin enzyme recognition motif and can actually be cleaved, as demonstrated for a feline coronavirus...
- Furin-mediated cleavage of the feline foamy virus Env leader proteinVerena Geiselhart
Abt Genomveränderung und Carcinogenese, Forschungsschwerpunkt Infektion und Krebs, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 242, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Virol 78:13573-81. 2004..biochemical, and biophysical methods, we show that the feline foamy virus (FFV) Elp is released by a cellular furin-like protease, most likely furin itself, generating an Elp protein consisting of 127 amino acid residues...
- Failure of ventral closure and axial rotation in embryos lacking the proprotein convertase FurinA J Roebroek
Laboratory for Molecular Oncology, Experimental Genetics Group, Center for Human Genetics, University of Leuven and Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven
Development 125:4863-76. 1998We have examined the role of Furin in postimplantation-stage mouse embryos by analyzing both the expression pattern of fur mRNA and the developmental consequences of a loss-of-function mutation at the fur locus. At early stages (day 7...
- Processing of transforming growth factor beta 1 precursor by human furin convertaseC M Dubois
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:10618-24. 1995..To determine whether cleavage of pro-TGF beta 1 can be achieved by the furin convertase in vitro, purified precursor was incubated in the presence of a truncated/secreted form of the enzyme...
- Elevated furin expression in aggressive human head and neck tumors and tumor cell linesD E Bassi
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Mol Carcinog 31:224-32. 2001Pro-protein convertases (PCs) are proteases that recognize and cleave precursor proteins. Furin, a well-studied PC, is ubiquitously expressed, and it has been implicated in many physiological and pathological processes...
- Knock-out mouse models of proprotein convertases: unique functions or redundancy?John W M Creemers
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Center for Human Genetics K U Leuven, Belgium
Front Biosci 13:4960-71. 2008..at basic residues within the general motif (K/R)-(X)-(K/R) is mediated by the proprotein convertases PC1/3, PC2, Furin, PACE4, PC4, PC5 and PC7, whereas the proteolysis of precursors within hydrophobic residues performed by the ..
- Anthrax toxin: receptor binding, internalization, pore formation, and translocationJohn A T Young
Infectious Disease Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 76:243-65. 2007....
- Autocatalytic activation of the furin zymogen requires removal of the emerging enzyme's N-terminus from the active siteKatarzyna Gawlik
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5031. 2009Before furin can act on protein substrates, it must go through an ordered process of activation...
- Furin-dependent intracellular activation of the human stromelysin-3 zymogenD Pei
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor 48109 0640, USA
Nature 375:244-7. 1995..which is encrypted with an Arg-X-Arg-X-Lys-Arg recognition motif for the Golgi-associated proteinase, furin, a mammalian homologue of the yeast Kex2 pheromone convertase...
- Human testicular orphan receptor 4 enhances thyroid hormone receptor signalingYa Hui Huang
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Cell Physiol 222:347-56. 2010..The interaction between TR4 and TR may enhance regulation of genes targeted by TR, such as furin, fibrinogen, cdk2 and p21 expression...
- Genetic analysis of fin development in zebrafish identifies furin and hemicentin1 as potential novel fraser syndrome disease genesThomas J Carney
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Georges Koehler Laboratory, Freiburg, Germany
PLoS Genet 6:e1000907. 2010..In addition, the novel genes might prove helpful to unravel the molecular nature of thus far unresolved cases of the human disease...
- Combination of the 2A/furin technology with an animal component free cell line development platform processThomas Jostock
Process Sciences and Production, Novartis Biologics, Basel, Switzerland
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87:1517-24. 2010The recently described 2A/furin technology combines both chains of the antibody in a single open reading frame. Upon translation and secretion, the peptide is processed by the cell to generate native fully functional IgG antibodies...
- Upregulatory expression of furin and transforming growth factor-beta by fluid shear stress in vascular endothelial cellsM Negishi
Department of Molecular Medicine, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 21:785-90. 2001b>Furin, a yeast Kex2-family endoprotease, converts many vasoregulatory propeptides, including pro-transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta to their mature forms...
- Furin regulates the intracellular activation and the uptake rate of cell surface-associated MT1-MMPA G Remacle
The Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Oncogene 25:5648-55. 2006..There are two potential furin cleavage motifs, R(89)-R-P-R-C(93) and R(108)-R-K-R-Y(112), in the prodomain sequence of MT1-MMP...
- In vivo evidence that furin from hepatocytes inactivates PCSK9Rachid Essalmani
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:4257-63. 2011..Ex vivo data showed that human PCSK9 is inactivated by cleavage at Arg(218)↓ by the overexpressed convertases furin and PC5/6A...
- Involvement of furin-like proprotein convertases in the arterial response to injuryJoost P G Sluijter
Experimental Cardiology Laboratory, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 68:136-43. 2005b>Furin-like proprotein convertases (PCs) are proteolytic activators of proproteins, like membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) and transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta), that are described in the arterial response to ..
- Activation of a recombinant membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) by furin and its interaction with tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP)-2H Sato
Department of Molecular Virology and Oncology, Kanazawa University, Japan
FEBS Lett 393:101-4. 1996..MT1-MMP possesses a unique amino acid sequence Arg-Arg-Lys-Arg111 which is a potential recognition sequence for furin-like proteases (Nature, 370 (1994) 61-65)...
- Rab9-dependent retrograde transport and endosomal sorting of the endopeptidase furinPei Zhi Cheryl Chia
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Cell Sci 124:2401-13. 2011The endopeptidase furin and the trans-Golgi network protein TGN38 are membrane proteins that recycle between the TGN and plasma membrane...
- The proprotein convertase furin colocalizes with caveolin-1 in the Golgi apparatus and endosomes of hepatocytesGaetan Mayer
Departement de pathologie et biologie cellulaire, Universite de Montreal, PO Box 6128, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
Cell Tissue Res 316:55-63. 2004The significance of furin in the maturation and activation of a wide array of proproteins in the secretory pathway has been well demonstrated...
- Proprotein convertase models based on the crystal structures of furin and kexin: explanation of their specificityStefan Henrich
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abteilung für Strukturforschung, Am Klopferspitz 18, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Mol Biol 345:211-27. 2005..The recently published crystal structures of the soluble mouse furin and yeast kexin ectodomains have revealed the relative arrangement of catalytic and P domains, the exact domain ..
- Proteolytic activation of respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein. Cleavage at two furin consensus sequencesG Zimmer
, , , D-30559 Hannover, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:31642-50. 2001..processed at the multibasic sequence KKRKRR(136) into the subunits F(1) and F(2) by the cellular protease furin. This maturation process is essential for the F protein to gain fusion competence...
- Loss-of-function point mutations and two-furin domain derivatives provide insights about R-spondin2 structure and functionSheng Jian Li
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, 37 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell Signal 21:916-25. 2009..Cysteine assignments in a Rspo2 derivative containing only the two furin-like domains (Rspo2-2F) provided the first information about the disulfide bonding pattern of this motif, which ..
- Human monoclonal antibodies generated following vaccination with AVA provide neutralization by blocking furin cleavage but not by preventing oligomerizationKenneth Smith
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, 825 NE 13th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Vaccine 30:4276-83. 2012..We demonstrate that hmAb p6C01 is neutralizing by preventing furin cleavage of PA in a dose-dependent manner, but the mechanism of p6F01 is unclear...
- Thyroid hormone promotes cell invasion through activation of furin expression in human hepatoma cell linesRuey Nan Chen
Department of Biochemistry, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen hwa 1 Road, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan, Republic of China
Endocrinology 149:3817-31. 2008..The gene encoding furin, as previously identified by cDNA microarray, is known to be up-regulated by T(3) treatment, and stimulated furin ..
- Enhancing the proteolytic maturation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycoproteinsJames M Binley
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Virol 76:2606-16. 2002..In contrast, a soluble form of furin was specific for the gp120-gp41 cleavage site but cleaved inefficiently...
- Furin at the cutting edge: from protein traffic to embryogenesis and diseaseGary Thomas
Vollum Institute, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3:753-66. 2002b>Furin catalyses a simple biochemical reaction--the proteolytic maturation of proprotein substrates in the secretory pathway...
- SKI-1 and Furin generate multiple RGMa fragments that regulate axonal growthNardos G Tassew
Genetics and Development Division, Toronto Western Research Institute, MCL 6 415, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto M5T 2S8, Ontario, Canada
Dev Cell 22:391-402. 2012..Here, we show that Furin and SKI-1 combine with autocatalytic cleavage and a disulfide bridge to generate four membrane-bound and three ..
- Tumour growth inhibition and anti-metastatic activity of a mutated furin-resistant Semaphorin 3E isoformAndrea Casazza
Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment IRCC, University of Torino Medical School, Candiolo, Italy
EMBO Mol Med 4:234-50. 2012..In summary, we conclude that Uncl-Sema3E is a novel inhibitor of tumour angiogenesis and growth that concomitantly hampers metastatic spreading...
- Mutagenesis of varicella-zoster virus glycoprotein B: putative fusion loop residues are essential for viral replication, and the furin cleavage motif contributes to pathogenesis in skin tissue in vivoStefan L Oliver
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Virol 83:7495-506. 2009..In contrast to HSV gB, VZV gB had a furin recognition motif ([R]-X-[KR]-R-|-X, where | indicates the position at which the polypeptide is cleaved) at ..
- Cleavage mechanism of the H5N1 hemagglutinin by trypsin and furinX L Guo
College of Life Science and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Amino Acids 35:375-82. 2008..e., trypsin and furin and peptides of the cleavage sites specific to H5N1 and H1 HAs, which constitute models of HA precursor in complex ..
- Differential modulation of prM cleavage, extracellular particle distribution, and virus infectivity by conserved residues at nonfurin consensus positions of the dengue virus pr-M junctionJiraphan Junjhon
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
J Virol 82:10776-91. 2008In the generation of flavivirus particles, an internal cleavage of the envelope glycoprotein prM by furin is required for the acquisition of infectivity...
- Inhibition of Chikungunya virus infection in cultured human muscle cells by furin inhibitors: impairment of the maturation of the E2 surface glycoproteinSimona Ozden
Unité d Epidémiologie et Physiopathologie des Virus Oncogènes, CNRS URA 3015, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 283:21899-908. 2008..We show that among a large panel of proprotein convertases, membranous furin but also PC5B can process E3E2 from African CHIKV strains at the HRQRR(64) / ST site, whereas a CHIKV strain of ..
- Site-specific cleavage of BMP4 by furin, PC6, and PC7Sylvia M Nelsen
Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
J Biol Chem 284:27157-66. 2009..In Xenopus oocytes, furin and PC6 function redundantly to cleave both the S1 and S2 sites of pro-BMP4, as evidenced by the results of ..
- Intracellular trafficking and activation of the furin proprotein convertase: localization to the TGN and recycling from the cell surfaceS S Molloy
Vollum Institute, Portland, OR
EMBO J 13:18-33. 1994b>Furin is a membrane-associated endoprotease that efficiently cleaves precursor proteins on the C-terminal side of the consensus sequence, Arg-X-Lys/Arg-Arg1, and has been proposed to catalyze these reactions in both exocytic and ..
- MicroRNA-24 regulates the processing of latent TGFβ1 during cyclic mechanical stress in human trabecular meshwork cells through direct targeting of FURINCoralia Luna
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Cell Physiol 226:1407-14. 2011..CMS induced the expression of miR-24 that led to the down regulation of the subtilisin-like proprotein convertase FURIN, which is known to play a major role in the processing of TGFβ1...
- Regulation of cell survival by secreted proneurotrophinsR Lee
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 294:1945-8. 2001..The biological action of neurotrophins is thus regulated by proteolytic cleavage, with proforms preferentially activating p75NTR to mediate apoptosis and mature forms activating Trk receptors to promote survival...
- Furin is an endogenous regulator of alpha-secretase associated APP processingEun Mi Hwang
Department of Physiology, Institute of Health Science, Gyeongsang National University College of Medicine, Jinju, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:654-9. 2006..Here, we examined putative role of furin in the regulation of alpha-secretase activity in vitro and in vivo...
- Furin: a mammalian subtilisin/Kex2p-like endoprotease involved in processing of a wide variety of precursor proteinsK Nakayama
Institute of Biological Sciences and Gene Experiment Center, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba Science City, Ibaraki 305, Japan
Biochem J 327:625-35. 1997..Seven distinct proprotein convertases of this family (furin, PC2, PC1/PC3, PC4, PACE4, PC5/PC6, LPC/PC7/PC8/SPC7) have been identified in mammalian species, some having ..
- Furin interacts with proMT1-MMP and integrin alphaV at specialized domains of renal cell plasma membraneGaetan Mayer
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
J Cell Sci 116:1763-73. 2003..Both membrane type-1 MMP (MT1-MMP) and the integrin alphaV subunit are fully activated upon cleavage at a furin recognition site...
- Cleavage targets and the D-arginine-based inhibitors of the West Nile virus NS3 processing proteinaseSergey A Shiryaev
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Biochem J 393:503-11. 2006..We have determined that the NS3 proteinase functions in a manner that is distantly similar to furin in cleaving the peptide and protein substrates...
- Soluble form of the (pro)renin receptor generated by intracellular cleavage by furin is secreted in plasmaChristelle Cousin
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale and Collège de France, Paris, France
Hypertension 53:1077-82. 2009..We identified furin as the protease responsible for the shedding of endogenous (P)RR based on the following: LoVo colon carcinoma ..
- Two independent targeting signals in the cytoplasmic domain determine trans-Golgi network localization and endosomal trafficking of the proprotein convertase furinW Schafer
Institut fur Virologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
EMBO J 14:2424-35. 1995b>Furin, a subtilisin-like eukaryotic endoprotease, is responsible for proteolytic cleavage of cellular and viral proteins transported via the constitutive secretory pathway...
- Effects of S1 cleavage on the structure, surface export, and signaling activity of human Notch1 and Notch2Wendy R Gordon
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e6613. 2009Notch receptors are normally cleaved during maturation by a furin-like protease at an extracellular site termed S1, creating a heterodimer of non-covalently associated subunits...
- Cleavage of protein prM is necessary for infection of BHK-21 cells by tick-borne encephalitis virusSigrid Elshuber
Institute of Virology, University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, A 1095 Vienna, Austria
J Gen Virol 84:183-91. 2003..Shortly before release from the cell, prM is cleaved by the host protease furin to yield mature virions...
- The crystal structure of the proprotein processing proteinase furin explains its stringent specificityStefan Henrich
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abt Strukturforschung, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Nat Struct Biol 10:520-6. 2003..b>Furin, the best-characterized member of the mammalian PC family, has essential functions in embryogenesis and ..
- The role of furin in papillomavirus infectionPatricia M Day
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Future Microbiol 4:1255-62. 2009..Specifically, a proprotein convertase, furin or proprotein convertase 5/6, must cleave the minor capsid protein for infection to proceed...
- Furin cleavage of the respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein is not a requirement for its transport to the surface of virus-infected cellsR J Sugrue
MRC Virology Unit, Institute of Virology, Church Street, G11 5JR, Glasgow, UK
J Gen Virol 82:1375-86. 2001The intracellular cleavage of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) fusion (F) protein by furin was examined...
- The neuroendocrine precursor 7B2 is a sulfated protein proteolytically processed by a ubiquitous furin-like convertaseL Paquet
Laboratory of Structure and Metabolism of Neuropeptides, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 269:19279-85. 1994..found in constitutively secreted precursor proteins and recognized by the ubiquitously expressed convertase, furin. pro7B2 (30 kDa), when expressed in endocrine (AtT-20, PC12, and GH4C1) or non-endocrine (Ltk-) cell lines using ..
- Functional characterization of the human placental fusogenic membrane protein syncytin 2Chie Pein Chen
Division of High Risk Pregnancy and Department of Medical Research, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei 104, Taiwan
Biol Reprod 79:815-23. 2008..The endoprotease furin was found to be involved in the posttranslational cleavage of syncytin 1 and 2 polypeptides into surface and ..
- Simultaneous expression of furin and vascular endothelial growth factor in human oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma progressionRicardo Lopez De Cicco
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:4480-8. 2004Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the tongue is a common malignancy of the oral cavity. Furin convertase activates several precursor matrix metalloproteinases involved in the degradation of the extracellular matrix...
- Distinct roles of myosin Va in membrane remodeling and exocytosis of secretory granulesTanja Kogel
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, Bergen, Norway
Traffic 11:637-50. 2010..Interference with myosin Va function blocked the removal of the transmembrane protein furin from maturing SGs without affecting condensation and processing of proteins of the SG lumen...
- Role of cytoplasmic domain serines in intracellular trafficking of furinFlorencia B Schapiro
Department of Biochemistry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Mol Biol Cell 15:2884-94. 2004b>Furin is a transmembrane protein that cycles between the plasma membrane, endosomes, and the trans-Golgi network, maintaining a predominant distribution in the latter...
- Inhibition of proprotein convertases-1, -7 and furin by diterpines of Andrographis paniculata and their succinoyl estersA Basak
Laboratories of Structure and Metabolism of Neuropeptides, Clinical Research Institute, University of Montreal, Que, Canada
Biochem J 338:107-13. 1999..Among the individual components tested against the clinically important convertases, furin and PC1, neoandrographolide (a C3 O-glucoside derivative of the major constituent andrographolide) exhibited the ..
- Localization of endogenous furin in cultured cell linesJ Shapiro
Cell Biology and Metabolism Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 45:3-12. 1997b>Furin is a dibasic endopeptidase responsible for the proteolytic maturation of many precursor proteins in the secretory and endocytic pathways of mammalian cells...
- Heparan sulfate-independent cell binding and infection with furin-precleaved papillomavirus capsidsPatricia M Day
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Virol 82:12565-8. 2008..16 pseudovirions efficiently bound and infected cells lacking HSPGs if their L2 capsid protein was precleaved by furin, a cellular protease required for infection...
- Regulation of the stepwise proteolytic cleavage and secretion of PDGF-B by the proprotein convertasesGeraldine Siegfried
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, 110 Pine Ave West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1R7
Oncogene 24:6925-35. 2005..Cotransfection of a Furin-deficient cell line LoVo-C5 with proPDGF-B and different PC members revealed that Furin, PACE4, PC5, and PC7 are ..
- Shedding of collagen XXIII is mediated by furin and depends on the plasma membrane microenvironmentGuido Veit
Center for Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmannstrasse 52, 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:27424-35. 2007..This supports the idea that furin, a major physiological protease, is predominantly responsible for shedding...
- The mouse matrix metalloproteinase, epilysin (MMP-28), is alternatively spliced and processed by a furin-like proprotein convertaseSara A Illman
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute and Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, FIN 00014, Finland
Biochem J 375:191-7. 2003..of the mouse protein is 85% identical with the human sequence and contains conserved features such as an RKKR furin-activation sequence following the prodomain...
- Recombinant immunoproapoptotic proteins with furin site can translocate and kill HER2-positive cancer cellsTao Wang
State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Cancer Res 67:11830-9. 2007..Three furin cleavage sequences, including a synthetic polyarginine tract, and two furin cleavable sequences from PEA and ..
- Furin inhibitors: importance of the positive formal charge and beyondFabian López-Vallejo
Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, 11350 SW Village Parkway, Port St Lucie, FL 34987, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 20:4462-71. 2012b>Furin is the prototype member of the proprotein convertases superfamily. Proprotein convertases are associated with hormonal response, neural degeneration, viral and bacterial activation, and cancer...
- A femtomol range FRET biosensor reports exceedingly low levels of cell surface furin: implications for the processing of anthrax protective antigenKatarzyna Gawlik
Infectious and Inflammatory Disease Center, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e11305. 2010b>Furin, a specialized endoproteinase, transforms proproteins into biologically active proteins. Furin function is important for normal cells and also in multiple pathologies including malignancy and anthrax...
- Role for furin in tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced activation of the matrix metalloproteinase/sphingolipid mitogenic pathwayEdwige Tellier
INSERM U466, Biochimie, IFR 31, CHU Rangueil, 1, avenue Jean Poulhes, TSA 50032, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Mol Cell Biol 27:2997-3007. 2007..by TNF-alpha is required for TNF-alpha-induced proliferation and in turn requires a proteolytic cascade involving furin, membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP), and MMP2, and leading finally to extracellular signal-..
- Furin-mediated release of soluble hemojuvelin: a new link between hypoxia and iron homeostasisLaura Silvestri
Vita Salute San Raffaele University Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Blood 111:924-31. 2008..However, the mechanisms regulating the 2 HJV isoforms remain unclear. Here we show that s-HJV originates from a furin cleavage at position 332-335...
- Furin-processed antigens targeted to the secretory route elicit functional TAP1-/-CD8+ T lymphocytes in vivoFrancisco Medina
Unidad de Inmunología Viral, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda Madrid E 28220, Spain
J Immunol 183:4639-47. 2009..A well-defined TAP-independent secretory route of Ag processing involves the trans-Golgi network protease furin. Quantitation of this route by using OVA constructs encoded by vaccinia viruses indicates that it provides ..
- In vivo processing and isolation of furin protease-sensitive alphavirus glycoproteins: a new technique for producing mutations in virus assemblySteevenson Nelson
Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry, North Carolina State University, Campus Box 7622, Raleigh NC 27695 7622, USA
Virology 332:629-39. 2005..In a new approach to the production of membrane-free membrane glycoproteins, furin protease recognition motifs were installed at various positions in the E1 glycoprotein ectodomain...
- Molluscum contagiosum virus interleukin-18 (IL-18) binding protein is secreted as a full-length form that binds cell surface glycosaminoglycans through the C-terminal tail and a furin-cleaved form with only the IL-18 binding domainYan Xiang
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases National Institutes of Health, 4 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 0445, USA
J Virol 77:2623-30. 2003..This C-terminal fragment resulted from the cleavage of MC54L by cellular furin, as it was greatly diminished when furin was specifically inhibited or when a furin-deficient cell line was used ..
- Polyarginine inhibits gp160 processing by furin and suppresses productive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectionKaren V Kibler
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0460, USA
J Biol Chem 279:49055-63. 2004..into gp120 and gp41 has been attributed to the activity of the cellular subtilisin-like proprotein convertase furin. The prototypic furin recognition cleavage site is Arg-X-Arg/Lys-Arg...
- Nipah virus fusion protein: influence of cleavage site mutations on the cleavability by cathepsin L, trypsin and furinSandra Diederich
Institut fur Virologie, Hans Meerwein Str 2, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Virus Res 145:300-6. 2009..in the cleavage peptide by exogenous trypsin is very inefficient, and introduction of a consensus sequence for furin does not result in cleavage by this ubiquitous protease...
- An activin/furin regulatory loop modulates the processing and secretion of inhibin alpha- and betaB-subunit dimers in pituitary gonadotrope cellsMonica Antenos
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 283:33059-68. 2008..Simultaneously, activin stimulated the proconvertase furin through a Smad2/3-dependent process...
- Source of high pathogenicity of an avian influenza virus H5N1: why H5 is better cleaved by furinPanita Decha
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Biophys J 95:128-34. 2008..studied using the molecular dynamics technique, in comparison with those of the noninserted H5 and H3 bound to the furin (FR) active site...
- Involvement of Smads in TGFbeta1-induced furin (fur) transcriptionF Blanchette
Immunology Division, Faculty of Medicine, , Sherbrooke QC, Canada
J Cell Physiol 188:264-73. 2001b>Furin is recognized as being one of the main convertases of the cellular constitutive secretion pathway but the mechanisms regulating its expression are still unknown...
- Elevated furin levels in human cystic fibrosis cells result in hypersusceptibility to exotoxin A-induced cytotoxicityWojciech Ornatowski
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3489-97. 2007..Here we measured activity of the major TGN endoprotease furin and demonstrated a marked upregulation in human CF cells...
- Effect of ultraviolet radiation on the expression of pp38MAPK and furin in human keratinocyte-derived cell linesTien T Huynh
School of Medical Sciences, RMIT University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 25:20-9. 2009..It is unknown whether the activation of proteases such as furin is related to changes in the phosphorylation status of p38MAPK.
- Histidine-rich human salivary peptides are inhibitors of proprotein convertases furin and PC7 but act as substrates for PC1A Basak
Laboratory of Structure and Metabolism of Neuropeptides, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pept Res 49:596-603. 1997..Instead, H3 and H5 were found to be moderately potent inhibitors of the furin-mediated cleavage of the pentapeptide pGlu-Arg-Thr-Lys-Arg-MCA fluorogenic substrate...
- Furin and proprotein convertase 7 (PC7)/lymphoma PC endogenously expressed in rat liver can be resolved into distinct post-Golgi compartmentsS Wouters
Laboratoire de Chimie Physique des Macromolecules aux Interfaces LCPMI, CP206 2, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Boulevard du Triomphe, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 336:311-6. 1998The intracellular compartmentalization in rat liver of the membrane-associated convertases furin and proprotein convertase 7 (PC7)/lymphoma PC (LPC) was investigated by analytical subcellular fractionation...
- Specific modulation of Kex2/furin family proteases by potassiumNathan C Rockwell
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 277:17531-7. 2002..Furthermore, the mammalian Kex2 homolog furin displays similar effects...
- Proteolytic processing of the Cryptosporidium glycoprotein gp40/15 by human furin and by a parasite-derived furin-like protease activityJane W Wanyiri
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Infect Immun 75:184-92. 2007..We identified a putative furin cleavage site RSRR downward arrow in the deduced amino acid sequence of gp40/15 from C...
- Conserved furin cleavage site not essential for secretion and integration of ZP3 into the extracellular egg coat of transgenic miceMing Zhao
Laboratory of Cellular and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8028, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:3111-20. 2002..A well-conserved furin site upstream of a transmembrane domain near the carboxyl terminus of each has been implicated in the release of ..
- alpha1-Antitrypsin Portland, a bioengineered serpin highly selective for furin: application as an antipathogenic agentF Jean
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:7293-8. 1998The important role of furin in the proteolytic activation of many pathogenic molecules has made this endoprotease a target for the development of potent and selective antiproteolytic agents...
- Bioactivation of Müllerian inhibiting substance during gonadal development by a kex2/subtilisin-like endoproteaseM W Nachtigal
Department of Physiology, Program in Developmental Biology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0444, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:7711-6. 1996..These kex2/subtilisin-like enzymes, PC5 and furin, are members of the proprotein convertase family that have been implicated in hormone bioactivation via ..
- Hypoxia-enhanced expression of the proprotein convertase furin is mediated by hypoxia-inducible factor-1: impact on the bioactivation of proproteinsStephanie McMahon
Immunology Division, Pulmonary Division, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec
J Biol Chem 280:6561-9. 2005..many angiogenic and invasion-related mediators, some of which are natural substrates for the proprotein convertase furin. Analysis of furin promoters revealed the presence of putative binding sites for hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1)..
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005..In doing so, we will test the hypothesis that furin-like subtilisin family proprotein convertases (PCs) are at least partially responsible...
- Von Willebrand Factor Multimer Assembly and StructureJ Evan Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2010..The cleavage of the VWF propeptide by furin also is regulated by pH, and the role of propeptide cleavage in VWF storage and secretion will be characterized...
- Von Willebrand Factor Multimer Assembly and StructureJ Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2009..The cleavage of the VWF propeptide by furin also is regulated by pH, and the role of propeptide cleavage in VWF storage and secretion will be characterized...
- Molecular Requirements for Recombinant Cytotoxins EfficacyWaldemar Debinski; Fiscal Year: 2009..of the restricted binding sites for the cytotoxins and an intracellular protease activating bacterial toxins (furin) play major roles in the cytotoxins' tumor cell killing...
- Molecular Requirements for Recombinant Cytotoxins EfficacyWaldemar Debinski; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the restricted binding sites for the cytotoxins and an intracellular protease activating bacterial toxins (furin) play major roles in the cytotoxins'tumor cell killing...
- Molecular Requirements for Recombinant Cytotoxins EfficacyWaldemar Debinski; Fiscal Year: 2007..of the restricted binding sites for the cytotoxins and an intracellular protease activating bacterial toxins (furin) play major roles in the cytotoxins' tumor cell killing...
- Guidance of Taste Nerve During DevelopmentMICHAEL ROCHLIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The role of the protease furin, previously implicated in Sema3A inactivation, will be tested in vitro using a specific inhibitor.
- Blockade of Anthrax Cytotoxicity Using Furin InhibitorsIris Lindberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..Previous research has shown that this cleavage is performed by a cellular surface enzyme known as furin, a member of the family of eukaryotic subtilisins...
- Genetic Determinants of Hypertensive Heart Disease in CRIDaniel Dries; Fiscal Year: 2009..The candidate genes of interest are: corin, furin, ANP, BNP, CNP, NPR-A, NPR-B, NPR-C, PKG-I, and NEP...
- Genetic Determinants of Hypertensive Heart Disease in CRIDaniel L Dries; Fiscal Year: 2010..The candidate genes of interest are: corin, furin, ANP, BNP, CNP, NPR-A, NPR-B, NPR-C, PKG-I, and NEP...
- SPECIFICITY AND STRUCTURE--THE KEX2 AND FURIN PROTEASESRobert Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2000..The first known human Kex2 homologue, furin, is implicated in many physiology/medically important processes: maturation of precursors of growth factors and ..
- Characterizing Class 1 Fusion Proteins: Elucidation of Coronavirus fusion peptideIKENNA MADU; Fiscal Year: 2007..A bioinformatics analysis of the IBV Bdtte spike protein revealed a unique consensus Furin cleavage site within the S2 domain of the spike protein...
- Epithelial BAFF and APRIL in Airway Inflammation, Immunity and DiseaseRobert Schleimer; Fiscal Year: 2009..study the production and source of BAFF and APRIL by antigen challenged human mucosal tissue and will analyze the furin proteases involved in their expression...
- Epithelial BAFF and APRIL in Airway Inflammation, Immunity and DiseaseRobert P Schleimer; Fiscal Year: 2010..study the production and source of BAFF and APRIL by antigen challenged human mucosal tissue and will analyze the furin proteases involved in their expression...
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery W Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..mutations prevent Ca2+ binding to domain 2, rendering plasma gelsolin susceptible to aberrant endoproteolysis by furin in the Golgi during secretion...
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2007..mutations prevent Ca2+ binding to domain 2, rendering plasma gelsolin susceptible to aberrant endoproteolysis by furin in the Golgi during secretion...
- Specificity and Structure: The Kex 2 and Furin ProteasesRobert Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2005..The first known human Kex2 homologue, furin, is implicated in maturation of growth factors and growth factor receptors, coagulation factors, viral ..
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have discovered that the protease furin (found in the Golgi and endocytic compartments) and, potentially, related members of the prohormone convertase ..
- STUDIES ON CLOSTRIDIUM SEPTICUM LETHAL TOXINRodney Tweten; Fiscal Year: 2003..is produced as an inactive protoxin which requires proteolytic activation by normal cellular proteases such as furin. The investigators propose to continue the detailed study of the cytolytic mechanism of alpha toxin in order to ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF BLOOD CLOTTING PROTEINSBruce Furie; Fiscal Year: 2001..The physiological roles of furin and proprotein convertase 7 (PC7) in propeptide cleavage of the vitamin K-dependent proteins will be determined ..