Genomes and Genes
Summary: A proprotein convertase with specificity for the proproteins of PROALBUMIN; COMPLEMENT 3C; and VON WILLEBRAND FACTOR. It has specificity for cleavage near paired ARGININE residues that are separated by two amino acids.
Publications257 found, 100 shown here
- Proteolytic activation of tick-borne encephalitis virus by furinK Stadler
Institute of Virology, University of Vienna, Austria
J Virol 71:8475-81. 1997..out in vivo and in vitro studies with tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) virus to investigate the possible role of furin in this process as well as the functional consequences of prM cleavage...
- Anthrax toxin: receptor binding, internalization, pore formation, and translocationJohn A T Young
Infectious Disease Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 76:243-65. 2007....
- Constitutive alpha-secretase cleavage of the beta-amyloid precursor protein in the furin-deficient LoVo cell line: involvement of the pro-hormone convertase 7 and the disintegrin metalloprotease ADAM10E Lopez-Perez
IPMC du CNRS, UMR6097, Valbonne, France
J Neurochem 76:1532-9. 2001..Here we report on the fact that the furin-deficient LoVo cells are devoid of regulated PKC-dependent sAPPalpha secretion and therefore represent an ..
- The proprotein convertasesD F Steiner
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 1028, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 2:31-9. 1998..b>Furin (SPC1) has emerged as one of the major processing enzymes of the constitutive secretory pathway and its ..
- Processing of transforming growth factor beta 1 precursor by human furin convertaseC M Dubois
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:10618-24. 1995..To determine whether cleavage of pro-TGF beta 1 can be achieved by the furin convertase in vitro, purified precursor was incubated in the presence of a truncated/secreted form of the enzyme...
- Prediction of proprotein convertase cleavage sitesPeter Duckert
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, BioCentrum-DTU, Technical University of Denmark, Building 208, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Protein Eng Des Sel 17:107-12. 2004..In mammals, seven members have been identified, with furin being the one first discovered and best characterized...
- Processing of the Ebola virus glycoprotein by the proprotein convertase furinV E Volchkov
Institut fur Virologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, 35011 Marburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:5762-7. 1998..GP is cleaved by the proprotein convertase furin. This was indicated by the observation that cleavage did not occur when GP was expressed in furin-defective LoVo ..
- Furin-dependent intracellular activation of the human stromelysin-3 zymogenD Pei
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor 48109 0640, USA
Nature 375:244-7. 1995..which is encrypted with an Arg-X-Arg-X-Lys-Arg recognition motif for the Golgi-associated proteinase, furin, a mammalian homologue of the yeast Kex2 pheromone convertase...
- Inhibition of Chikungunya virus infection in cultured human muscle cells by furin inhibitors: impairment of the maturation of the E2 surface glycoproteinSimona Ozden
Unité d Epidémiologie et Physiopathologie des Virus Oncogènes, CNRS URA 3015, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 283:21899-908. 2008..We show that among a large panel of proprotein convertases, membranous furin but also PC5B can process E3E2 from African CHIKV strains at the HRQRR(64) / ST site, whereas a CHIKV strain of ..
- Cleavage mechanism of the H5N1 hemagglutinin by trypsin and furinX L Guo
College of Life Science and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Amino Acids 35:375-82. 2008..e., trypsin and furin and peptides of the cleavage sites specific to H5N1 and H1 HAs, which constitute models of HA precursor in complex ..
- Proteolytic activation of the spike protein at a novel RRRR/S motif is implicated in furin-dependent entry, syncytium formation, and infectivity of coronavirus infectious bronchitis virus in cultured cellsYoshiyuki Yamada
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Proteos, Singapore 138673
J Virol 83:8744-58. 2009..S) protein of the coronavirus (CoV) infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) is cleaved into S1 and S2 subunits at the furin consensus motif RRFRR(537)/S in virus-infected cells...
- Site-specific cleavage of BMP4 by furin, PC6, and PC7Sylvia M Nelsen
Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
J Biol Chem 284:27157-66. 2009..In Xenopus oocytes, furin and PC6 function redundantly to cleave both the S1 and S2 sites of pro-BMP4, as evidenced by the results of ..
- Differential modulation of prM cleavage, extracellular particle distribution, and virus infectivity by conserved residues at nonfurin consensus positions of the dengue virus pr-M junctionJiraphan Junjhon
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
J Virol 82:10776-91. 2008In the generation of flavivirus particles, an internal cleavage of the envelope glycoprotein prM by furin is required for the acquisition of infectivity...
- Mutagenesis of varicella-zoster virus glycoprotein B: putative fusion loop residues are essential for viral replication, and the furin cleavage motif contributes to pathogenesis in skin tissue in vivoStefan L Oliver
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Virol 83:7495-506. 2009..In contrast to HSV gB, VZV gB had a furin recognition motif ([R]-X-[KR]-R-|-X, where | indicates the position at which the polypeptide is cleaved) at ..
- Intracellular trafficking and activation of the furin proprotein convertase: localization to the TGN and recycling from the cell surfaceS S Molloy
Vollum Institute, Portland, OR
EMBO J 13:18-33. 1994b>Furin is a membrane-associated endoprotease that efficiently cleaves precursor proteins on the C-terminal side of the consensus sequence, Arg-X-Lys/Arg-Arg1, and has been proposed to catalyze these reactions in both exocytic and ..
- Cleavage of protein prM is necessary for infection of BHK-21 cells by tick-borne encephalitis virusSigrid Elshuber
Institute of Virology, University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, A-1095 Vienna, Austria
J Gen Virol 84:183-91. 2003..Shortly before release from the cell, prM is cleaved by the host protease furin to yield mature virions...
- Hepatitis C virus-induced furin and thrombospondin-1 activate TGF-β1: role of TGF-β1 in HCV replicationLance D Presser
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, H M Bligh Cancer Research Laboratories, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Chicago Medical School, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
Virology 412:284-96. 2011..Using siRNA approach we demonstrated that HCV-induced furin and thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1) are involved in the proteolytic activation of TGF-β1...
- MicroRNA-24 regulates the processing of latent TGFβ1 during cyclic mechanical stress in human trabecular meshwork cells through direct targeting of FURINCoralia Luna
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Cell Physiol 226:1407-14. 2011..CMS induced the expression of miR-24 that led to the down regulation of the subtilisin-like proprotein convertase FURIN, which is known to play a major role in the processing of TGFβ1...
- Regulation of cell survival by secreted proneurotrophinsR Lee
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 294:1945-8. 2001..The biological action of neurotrophins is thus regulated by proteolytic cleavage, with proforms preferentially activating p75NTR to mediate apoptosis and mature forms activating Trk receptors to promote survival...
- Prototype foamy virus envelope glycoprotein leader peptide processing is mediated by a furin-like cellular protease, but cleavage is not essential for viral infectivityAnja Duda
Institut fur Virologie, Medizinische Fakultät Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Virol 78:13865-70. 2004..Here we provide strong evidence that furin itself or a furin-like protease and not the signal peptidase complex is responsible for both processing events...
- Furin is an endogenous regulator of alpha-secretase associated APP processingEun Mi Hwang
Department of Physiology, Institute of Health Science, Gyeongsang National University College of Medicine, Jinju, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:654-9. 2006..Here, we examined putative role of furin in the regulation of alpha-secretase activity in vitro and in vivo...
- Inhibition of furin-mediated cleavage activation of HIV-1 glycoprotein gp160S Hallenberger
Institut fur Virologie, Philips Universität Marburg, Germany
Nature 360:358-61. 1992..found that the enzyme activating the haemagglutinin of fowl plague virus (FPV), an avian influenza virus, is furin. Furin, a subtilisin-like eukaryotic endoprotease, has a substrate specificity for the consensus amino-acid ..
- Furin interacts with proMT1-MMP and integrin alphaV at specialized domains of renal cell plasma membraneGaetan Mayer
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
J Cell Sci 116:1763-73. 2003..Both membrane type-1 MMP (MT1-MMP) and the integrin alphaV subunit are fully activated upon cleavage at a furin recognition site...
- Localization of endogenous furin in cultured cell linesJ Shapiro
Cell Biology and Metabolism Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 45:3-12. 1997b>Furin is a dibasic endopeptidase responsible for the proteolytic maturation of many precursor proteins in the secretory and endocytic pathways of mammalian cells...
- Inhibition of proprotein convertases-1, -7 and furin by diterpines of Andrographis paniculata and their succinoyl estersA Basak
Laboratories of Structure and Metabolism of Neuropeptides, Clinical Research Institute, University of Montreal, Que, Canada
Biochem J 338:107-13. 1999..Among the individual components tested against the clinically important convertases, furin and PC1, neoandrographolide (a C3 O-glucoside derivative of the major constituent andrographolide) exhibited the ..
- Heparan sulfate-independent cell binding and infection with furin-precleaved papillomavirus capsidsPatricia M Day
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Virol 82:12565-8. 2008..16 pseudovirions efficiently bound and infected cells lacking HSPGs if their L2 capsid protein was precleaved by furin, a cellular protease required for infection...
- Recombinant immunoproapoptotic proteins with furin site can translocate and kill HER2-positive cancer cellsTao Wang
State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Cancer Res 67:11830-9. 2007..Three furin cleavage sequences, including a synthetic polyarginine tract, and two furin cleavable sequences from PEA and ..
- Regulation of the stepwise proteolytic cleavage and secretion of PDGF-B by the proprotein convertasesGeraldine Siegfried
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, 110 Pine Ave West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1R7
Oncogene 24:6925-35. 2005..Cotransfection of a Furin-deficient cell line LoVo-C5 with proPDGF-B and different PC members revealed that Furin, PACE4, PC5, and PC7 are ..
- Activation of a recombinant membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) by furin and its interaction with tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP)-2H Sato
Department of Molecular Virology and Oncology, Kanazawa University, Japan
FEBS Lett 393:101-4. 1996..MT1-MMP possesses a unique amino acid sequence Arg-Arg-Lys-Arg111 which is a potential recognition sequence for furin-like proteases (Nature, 370 (1994) 61-65)...
- The mouse matrix metalloproteinase, epilysin (MMP-28), is alternatively spliced and processed by a furin-like proprotein convertaseSara A Illman
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute and Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, FIN 00014, Finland
Biochem J 375:191-7. 2003..of the mouse protein is 85% identical with the human sequence and contains conserved features such as an RKKR furin-activation sequence following the prodomain...
- Shedding of collagen XXIII is mediated by furin and depends on the plasma membrane microenvironmentGuido Veit
Center for Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmannstrasse 52, 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:27424-35. 2007..This supports the idea that furin, a major physiological protease, is predominantly responsible for shedding...
- In vivo processing and isolation of furin protease-sensitive alphavirus glycoproteins: a new technique for producing mutations in virus assemblySteevenson Nelson
Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry, North Carolina State University, Campus Box 7622, Raleigh NC 27695-7622, USA
Virology 332:629-39. 2005..In a new approach to the production of membrane-free membrane glycoproteins, furin protease recognition motifs were installed at various positions in the E1 glycoprotein ectodomain...
- Polyarginine inhibits gp160 processing by furin and suppresses productive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectionKaren V Kibler
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0460, USA
J Biol Chem 279:49055-63. 2004..into gp120 and gp41 has been attributed to the activity of the cellular subtilisin-like proprotein convertase furin. The prototypic furin recognition cleavage site is Arg-X-Arg/Lys-Arg...
- Furin at the cutting edge: from protein traffic to embryogenesis and diseaseGary Thomas
Vollum Institute, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3:753-66. 2002b>Furin catalyses a simple biochemical reaction--the proteolytic maturation of proprotein substrates in the secretory pathway...
- Role for furin in tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced activation of the matrix metalloproteinase/sphingolipid mitogenic pathwayEdwige Tellier
INSERM U466, Biochimie, IFR 31, CHU Rangueil, 1, avenue Jean Poulhes, TSA 50032, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Mol Cell Biol 27:2997-3007. 2007..by TNF-alpha is required for TNF-alpha-induced proliferation and in turn requires a proteolytic cascade involving furin, membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP), and MMP2, and leading finally to extracellular signal-..
- Molluscum contagiosum virus interleukin-18 (IL-18) binding protein is secreted as a full-length form that binds cell surface glycosaminoglycans through the C-terminal tail and a furin-cleaved form with only the IL-18 binding domainYan Xiang
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases National Institutes of Health, 4 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 0445, USA
J Virol 77:2623-30. 2003..This C-terminal fragment resulted from the cleavage of MC54L by cellular furin, as it was greatly diminished when furin was specifically inhibited or when a furin-deficient cell line was used ..
- Furin-mediated release of soluble hemojuvelin: a new link between hypoxia and iron homeostasisLaura Silvestri
Vita Salute San Raffaele University Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Blood 111:924-31. 2008..However, the mechanisms regulating the 2 HJV isoforms remain unclear. Here we show that s-HJV originates from a furin cleavage at position 332-335...
- Nipah virus fusion protein: influence of cleavage site mutations on the cleavability by cathepsin L, trypsin and furinSandra Diederich
Institut fur Virologie, Hans Meerwein Str 2, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Virus Res 145:300-6. 2009..in the cleavage peptide by exogenous trypsin is very inefficient, and introduction of a consensus sequence for furin does not result in cleavage by this ubiquitous protease...
- Insights from bacterial subtilases into the mechanisms of intramolecular chaperone-mediated activation of furinUjwal Shinde
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97229, USA
Methods Mol Biol 768:59-106. 2011..from the folding and activation of prokaryotic subtilisin, discuss how this has molded our understanding of furin maturation, and foray into the concept of pH sensors, which may represent a paradigm that PCs (and possibly other ..
- Furin-processed antigens targeted to the secretory route elicit functional TAP1-/-CD8+ T lymphocytes in vivoFrancisco Medina
Unidad de Inmunología Viral, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda Madrid E 28220, Spain
J Immunol 183:4639-47. 2009..A well-defined TAP-independent secretory route of Ag processing involves the trans-Golgi network protease furin. Quantitation of this route by using OVA constructs encoded by vaccinia viruses indicates that it provides ..
- The role of furin in papillomavirus infectionPatricia M Day
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Future Microbiol 4:1255-62. 2009..Specifically, a proprotein convertase, furin or proprotein convertase 5/6, must cleave the minor capsid protein for infection to proceed...
- Autocatalytic activation of the furin zymogen requires removal of the emerging enzyme's N-terminus from the active siteKatarzyna Gawlik
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5031. 2009Before furin can act on protein substrates, it must go through an ordered process of activation...
- Specific modulation of Kex2/furin family proteases by potassiumNathan C Rockwell
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 277:17531-7. 2002..Furthermore, the mammalian Kex2 homolog furin displays similar effects...
- Initiation of duck hepatitis B virus infection requires cleavage by a furin-like proteaseYupin Tong
Liver Research Center, Rhode Island Hospital and Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Virol 84:4569-78. 2010..but not to the full-length protein, suggesting a need for proteolytic cleavage of the envelope protein by a furin-like proprotein convertase...
- Involvement of Smads in TGFbeta1-induced furin (fur) transcriptionF Blanchette
Immunology Division, Faculty of Medicine, , Sherbrooke QC, Canada
J Cell Physiol 188:264-73. 2001b>Furin is recognized as being one of the main convertases of the cellular constitutive secretion pathway but the mechanisms regulating its expression are still unknown...
- Histidine-rich human salivary peptides are inhibitors of proprotein convertases furin and PC7 but act as substrates for PC1A Basak
Laboratory of Structure and Metabolism of Neuropeptides, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pept Res 49:596-603. 1997..Instead, H3 and H5 were found to be moderately potent inhibitors of the furin-mediated cleavage of the pentapeptide pGlu-Arg-Thr-Lys-Arg-MCA fluorogenic substrate...
- Inhibition of soluble recombinant furin by human proteinase inhibitor 8J R Dahlen
Department of Pathology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131, USA
J Biol Chem 273:1851-4. 1998b>Furin is a ubiquitous prototypical mammalian kexin/subtilisin-like endoproteinase that is involved in the proteolytic processing of a variety of proteins in the exocytic and endocytic pathways, with cleavage occurring at the C terminus ..
- Conserved furin cleavage site not essential for secretion and integration of ZP3 into the extracellular egg coat of transgenic miceMing Zhao
Laboratory of Cellular and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8028, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:3111-20. 2002..A well-conserved furin site upstream of a transmembrane domain near the carboxyl terminus of each has been implicated in the release of ..
- Source of high pathogenicity of an avian influenza virus H5N1: why H5 is better cleaved by furinPanita Decha
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Biophys J 95:128-34. 2008..studied using the molecular dynamics technique, in comparison with those of the noninserted H5 and H3 bound to the furin (FR) active site...
- Effects of magnesium ions on recombinant human furin: selective activation of hydrolytic activity upon substrates derived from virus envelope glycoproteinMario A Izidoro
Departamento de Biofisica, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Tres de Maio 100, São Paulo 04044 020, Brazil
Biol Chem 391:1105-12. 2010Here we report a detailed analysis of magnesium (Mg²+) ion effects on furin hydrolysis of fluorescent resonance energy transfer decapeptide substrates derived from canonical R-X-K/R-R furin cleavage motifs within certain viral envelope ..
- alpha1-Antitrypsin Portland, a bioengineered serpin highly selective for furin: application as an antipathogenic agentF Jean
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:7293-8. 1998The important role of furin in the proteolytic activation of many pathogenic molecules has made this endoprotease a target for the development of potent and selective antiproteolytic agents...
- Mutation of the BAFF furin cleavage site impairs B-cell homeostasis and antibody responsesClaudia Bossen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Epalinges, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 41:787-97. 2011..Mice expressing BAFF with a mutated furin consensus cleavage site, i.e...
- Furin is the major processing enzyme of the cardiac-specific growth factor bone morphogenetic protein 10Delia Susan-Resiga
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:22785-94. 2011..In vitro digestion of a 12-mer peptide encompassing the predicted cleavage site with furin, PACE4, PC5/6, and PC7, showed that furin cleaves the best, whereas PC7 is inactive on this peptide...
- Furin and proprotein convertase 7 (PC7)/lymphoma PC endogenously expressed in rat liver can be resolved into distinct post-Golgi compartmentsS Wouters
Laboratoire de Chimie Physique des Macromolecules aux Interfaces LCPMI, CP206 2, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Boulevard du Triomphe, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 336:311-6. 1998The intracellular compartmentalization in rat liver of the membrane-associated convertases furin and proprotein convertase 7 (PC7)/lymphoma PC (LPC) was investigated by analytical subcellular fractionation...
- Furin-independent pathway of membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase activation in rabbit dermal fibroblastsT Sato
Department of Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0392, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:37280-4. 1999We investigated the gene expression and intracellular activity of processing protease furin and its involvement in the process of membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) activation in rabbit dermal fibroblasts...
- Influence of a single nucleotide polymorphism in the P1 promoter of the furin gene on transcription activity and hepatitis B virus infectionRui Xiang Lei
Department of Infectious Diseases, Third Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, People s Republic of China
Hepatology 50:763-71. 2009..Unfortunately, this goal is difficult to achieve and requires expensive and time-consuming treatment. Furin, a proprotein convertase, is involved in HBeAg maturation and is therefore a potential therapeutic target or ..
- Furin cleavage of the respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein is not a requirement for its transport to the surface of virus-infected cellsR J Sugrue
MRC Virology Unit, Institute of Virology, Church Street, G11 5JR, Glasgow, UK
J Gen Virol 82:1375-86. 2001The intracellular cleavage of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) fusion (F) protein by furin was examined...
- Furin-mediated processing in the early secretory pathway: sequential cleavage and degradation of misfolded insulin receptorsJ Bass
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:11905-9. 2000..secretory pathway undergo proteolytic cleavage at a tetrabasic concensus site for the subtilisin-like protease furin (SPC 1), generating two unstable proteolytic intermediates of 80/120 kDa corresponding to alpha (135 kDa) and beta ..
- Proteolytic processing of the Cryptosporidium glycoprotein gp40/15 by human furin and by a parasite-derived furin-like protease activityJane W Wanyiri
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Infect Immun 75:184-92. 2007..We identified a putative furin cleavage site RSRR downward arrow in the deduced amino acid sequence of gp40/15 from C...
- An activin/furin regulatory loop modulates the processing and secretion of inhibin alpha- and betaB-subunit dimers in pituitary gonadotrope cellsMonica Antenos
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 283:33059-68. 2008..Simultaneously, activin stimulated the proconvertase furin through a Smad2/3-dependent process...
- Hypoxia-enhanced expression of the proprotein convertase furin is mediated by hypoxia-inducible factor-1: impact on the bioactivation of proproteinsStephanie McMahon
Immunology Division, Pulmonary Division, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec
J Biol Chem 280:6561-9. 2005..many angiogenic and invasion-related mediators, some of which are natural substrates for the proprotein convertase furin. Analysis of furin promoters revealed the presence of putative binding sites for hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1)..
- Effect of ultraviolet radiation on the expression of pp38MAPK and furin in human keratinocyte-derived cell linesTien T Huynh
School of Medical Sciences, RMIT University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 25:20-9. 2009..It is unknown whether the activation of proteases such as furin is related to changes in the phosphorylation status of p38MAPK.
- Loss-of-function point mutations and two-furin domain derivatives provide insights about R-spondin2 structure and functionSheng Jian Li
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, 37 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell Signal 21:916-25. 2009..Cysteine assignments in a Rspo2 derivative containing only the two furin-like domains (Rspo2-2F) provided the first information about the disulfide bonding pattern of this motif, which ..
- Furin-mediated cleavage of the feline foamy virus Env leader proteinVerena Geiselhart
Abt Genomveränderung und Carcinogenese, Forschungsschwerpunkt Infektion und Krebs, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 242, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Virol 78:13573-81. 2004..biochemical, and biophysical methods, we show that the feline foamy virus (FFV) Elp is released by a cellular furin-like protease, most likely furin itself, generating an Elp protein consisting of 127 amino acid residues...
- Molecular cloning and cellular localization of a furin-like prohormone convertase from the atrial gland of AplysiaG T Nagle
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555, USA
DNA Cell Biol 14:431-43. 1995..b>Furin is an ubiquitously expressed PC that has been shown to hydrolyze a wide variety of precursor proteins in secretory ..
- Prointegrin maturation follows rapid trafficking and processing of MT1-MMP in Furin-Negative Colon Carcinoma LoVo CellsElena I Deryugina
Cancer Research Center, The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Traffic 5:627-41. 2004..Cleavage by furin is considered to be a principal event in the activation of both MT1-MMP and pro-alphav...
- Simultaneous expression of furin and vascular endothelial growth factor in human oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma progressionRicardo Lopez De Cicco
Department of Pathology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:4480-8. 2004Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the tongue is a common malignancy of the oral cavity. Furin convertase activates several precursor matrix metalloproteinases involved in the degradation of the extracellular matrix...
- Upregulatory expression of furin and transforming growth factor-beta by fluid shear stress in vascular endothelial cellsM Negishi
Department of Molecular Medicine, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 21:785-90. 2001b>Furin, a yeast Kex2-family endoprotease, converts many vasoregulatory propeptides, including pro-transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta to their mature forms...
- Structure and expression of Furin mRNA in the ovary of the medaka, Oryzias latipesKatsueki Ogiwara
Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0810, Japan
J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol 301:449-59. 2004A cDNA for furin was cloned from the ovary of the medaka, Oryzias latipes, by a combination of cDNA library screening, 5'-rapid amplification of cDNA ends (RACE), and 3'- RACE...
- Furin targeted drug delivery for treatment of rhabdomyosarcoma in a mouse modelKatarina Hajdin
Department of Oncology, University Children s Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 5:e10445. 2010..of all PCs in RMS biopsies and cell lines revealed consistent high expression levels for the membrane-bound furin and PC7...
- Bioactivation of Müllerian inhibiting substance during gonadal development by a kex2/subtilisin-like endoproteaseM W Nachtigal
Department of Physiology, Program in Developmental Biology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0444, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:7711-6. 1996..These kex2/subtilisin-like enzymes, PC5 and furin, are members of the proprotein convertase family that have been implicated in hormone bioactivation via ..
- Elevated furin levels in human cystic fibrosis cells result in hypersusceptibility to exotoxin A-induced cytotoxicityWojciech Ornatowski
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3489-97. 2007..Here we measured activity of the major TGN endoprotease furin and demonstrated a marked upregulation in human CF cells...
- The crystal structure of the proprotein processing proteinase furin explains its stringent specificityStefan Henrich
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abt Strukturforschung, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Nat Struct Biol 10:520-6. 2003..b>Furin, the best-characterized member of the mammalian PC family, has essential functions in embryogenesis and ..
- Human furin is a calcium-dependent serine endoprotease that recognizes the sequence Arg-X-X-Arg and efficiently cleaves anthrax toxin protective antigenS S Molloy
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201
J Biol Chem 267:16396-402. 1992Previous work demonstrated that human furin is a predominantly Golgi membrane-localized endoprotease that can efficiently process precursor proteins at paired basic residues (-Lys-Arg- or -Arg-Arg-) in transfected cells...
- pH-induced conformational transitions of a molten-globule-like state of the inhibitory prodomain of furin: implications for zymogen activationS Bhattacharjya
Biomolecular Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council of Canada, Montreal, Quebec H4P 2R2, Canada
Protein Sci 10:934-42. 2001The endoprotease furin, which belongs to the family of mammalian proprotein convertase (PC), is synthesized as a zymogen with an N-terminal, 81-residue inhibitory prodomain...
- Intracellular activation of human adamalysin 19/disintegrin and metalloproteinase 19 by furin occurs via one of the two consecutive recognition sitesTiebang Kang
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Institute of Molecular Biophysics, Florida State University, Tallahassee 32306 4390, USA
J Biol Chem 277:25583-91. 2002..Human ADAM19 zymogen contains two potential furin recognition sites (RX(K/R)R), (196)KRPR(200)R and (199)RRMK(203)R, between its pro- and catalytic domains...
- Secretory granule biogenesis: rafting to the SNARES A Tooze
Secretory Pathways Laboratory, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London, UK WC2A 3PX
Trends Cell Biol 11:116-22. 2001..At the heart of these findings is the elucidation of molecular mechanisms driving protein--lipid and protein--protein interactions specific for secretory granule biogenesis...
- Furin and membrane type-1 metalloproteinase mRNA levels and activation of metalloproteinase-2 are associated with arterial remodelingD P de Kleijn
Experimental Cardiology Laboratory, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 501:37-41. 2001..Recently, furin-activated membrane type-1 MMP (MT1-MMP) was identified as the in vivo activator of MMP2 in mice...
- Activation of human furin precursor processing endoprotease occurs by an intramolecular autoproteolytic cleavageR Leduc
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201
J Biol Chem 267:14304-8. 1992Human furin is a calcium-dependent serine endoprotease that can efficiently cleave many precursor proteins on the carboxyl side of the consensus cleavage sequence, -Arg-X-Lys/Arg-Arg-, both in vivo and in vitro...
- The H5N1 influenza variant Fujian-like hemagglutinin selected following vaccination exhibits a compromised furin cleavage : neurological Consequences of highly pathogenic Fujian H5N1 strainsAntonella Pasquato
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Mol Neurosci 35:339-43. 2008..of host poultry, resulting in a Fujian-like variant (vFJ) resistant to immunization with two mutations at the furin-processing site of hemagglutinin: loss of the P2 Lys and P9 substitution of Gln to Leu within the cleavage site...
- Urotensin-II-converting enzyme activity of furin and trypsin in human cells in vitroFraser D Russell
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, The Prince Charles Hospital, Chermside, Queensland, Australia
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 310:209-14. 2004Human urotensin-II (hU-II) is processed from its prohormone (ProhU-II) at putative cleavage sites for furin and serine proteases such as trypsin...
- Processing of alpha4 integrin by the proprotein convertases: histidine at position P6 regulates cleavageEric Bergeron
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, QC, Canada, H2W 1R7
Biochem J 373:475-84. 2003..Co-expression of alpha4 with each convertase in LoVo (furin-deficient human colon carcinoma) cells revealed that furin and proprotein convertase 5A (PC5A) are the best pro-..
- Epithelial Na+ channels are fully activated by furin- and prostasin-dependent release of an inhibitory peptide from the gamma-subunitJames B Bruns
Renal Electrolyte Division, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Biol Chem 282:6153-60. 2007..Maturation and activation of ENaC subunits involves furin-dependent cleavage of the ectodomain at two sites in the alpha subunit and at a single site within the gamma ..
- The kindest cuts of all: crystal structures of Kex2 and furin reveal secrets of precursor processingNathan C Rockwell
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of California at Berkeley, Room 16, Barker Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-3202, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 29:80-7. 2004..One mammalian member of this family - furin - is responsible for processing substrates that include insulin pro-receptor, human immunodeficiency virus gp160 ..
- Identification of prodomain determinants involved in ADAMTS-1 biosynthesisJean Michel Longpre
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 5N4, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:33237-45. 2004..that undergoes proteolytic processing at the prodomain/catalytic domain junction by serine proteinases of the furin-like family of proprotein convertases...
- The pro domain of beta-secretase does not confer strict zymogen-like properties but does assist proper folding of the protease domainX P Shi
Departments of Biological Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
J Biol Chem 276:10366-73. 2001..b>Furin cleaves ProBACE460 between the Pro and protease regions to generate mature BACE460...
- Tissue distribution and processing of proSAAS by proprotein convertasesM Sayah
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, LSU Health Science Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Neurochem 76:1833-41. 2001..of proSAAS by prohormone convertases, we incubated recombinant His-tagged proSAAS with recombinant mouse proPC2 or furin, separated the cleavage products using high-pressure gel permeation chromatography and analyzed the products by ..
- A proteomic approach reveals transient association of reticulocalbin-3, a novel member of the CREC family, with the precursor of subtilisin-like proprotein convertase, PACE4Akihiko Tsuji
Department of Biological Science and Technology, Faculty of Engineering, University of Tokushima, 2 1 Minamijosanjima, Tokushima, 770 8506, Japan
Biochem J 396:51-9. 2006..Our findings suggest that selective and transient association of RCN-3 with the precursor of PACE4 plays an important role in the biosynthesis of PACE4...
- Barley serine proteinase inhibitor 2-derived cyclic peptides as potent and selective inhibitors of convertases PC1/3 and furinMichele Villemure
Neuropeptides Structure and Metabolism Unit, Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1R7
Biochemistry 42:9659-68. 2003..inhibit two members of this family of enzymes, namely, the neuroendocrine PC1/3 and the ubiquitously expressed furin. We studied peptide sequences related to the 18-residue loop identified as the active site of the 83 amino acid ..
- Plasticity of extended subsites facilitates divergent substrate recognition by Kex2 and furinLaura Rozan
Department of Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 279:35656-63. 2004Yeast Kex2 and human furin are subtilisin-related proprotein convertases that function in the late secretory pathway and exhibit similar though distinguishable patterns of substrate recognition...
- Trichoplusia ni gloverin, an inducible immune gene encoding an antibacterial insect proteinA Lundstrom
Department of Microbiology, Stockholm University, S 106 09, Stockholm, Sweden
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 32:795-801. 2002..This progloverin inhibited the growth of E. coli and the activity is comparable to that of H. gloveri mature gloverin. Processing of progloverin was possible in vitro, using human furin.
- Defective prodynorphin processing in mice lacking prohormone convertase PC2Y Berman
Department of Pharmacology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurochem 75:1763-70. 2000..with similar substrate specificity because we find no significant changes in the levels of PC1, PC5/PC6, or furin in these mice as compared with wild-type mice...
- The proteolytic processing of pro-platelet-derived growth factor-A at RRKR(86) by members of the proprotein convertase family is functionally correlated to platelet-derived growth factor-A-induced functions and tumorigenicityGeraldine Siegfried
Laboratory of Biochemical Neuroendocrinology Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, H2W 1R7, Canada
Cancer Res 63:1458-63. 2003..In the colon carcinoma cell line LoVo, we found that Furin is the most potent PDGF-A convertase...
- Activation of membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase 3 zymogen by the proprotein convertase furin in the trans-Golgi networkTiebang Kang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota, 321 Church Street S.E, 6-120 Jackson Hall, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Cancer Res 62:675-81. 2002..We demonstrated that the conversion of MT3-MMP zymogen into active form is dependent on both the furin-type convertase activity and the R(116)RKR motif...
- Biosynthetic processing of the pro-alpha 1(V)2pro-alpha 2(V) collagen heterotrimer by bone morphogenetic protein-1 and furin-like proprotein convertasesChristine Unsöld
Department of Pathology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 277:5596-602. 2002..pro-alpha1(V)(2)pro-alpha2(V) heterotrimers, pro-alpha1(V) N-propeptides and pro-alpha2(V) C-propeptides are processed by BMP-1-like enzymes, and pro-alpha1(V) C-propeptides are processed by furin-like proprotein convertases in vivo.
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha converting enzyme is processed by proprotein-convertases to its mature form which is degraded upon phorbol ester stimulationKristina Endres
Institute of Biochemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Eur J Biochem 270:2386-93. 2003..We have identified the proprotein-convertases PC7 and furin to be involved in maturation of TACE...
- Inhibitory potency and specificity of subtilase-like pro-protein convertase (SPC) prodomainsMartin Fugere
Department of Pharmacology, Institut de Pharmacologie de Sherbrooke, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 5N4, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:7648-56. 2002..Our data demonstrated that the use of prodomains as specific inhibitors acting in trans would be of limited usefulness, unless modified into more specific compounds...
- Structural studies of a neuropeptide precursor protein with an RGD proteolytic siteC Zachariah
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Biochemistry 40:8790-9. 2001..The peptides were tested in a platelet aggregation assay for RGD activity and were processed in vitro by PC2 and furin. The native peptide with a proline following the RGD site has minimal structure around the RGD region, does not ..
- Proteolytic processing of the hepatitis B virus e antigen precursor. Cleavage at two furin consensus sequencesFabienne Messageot
, Gif sur Yvette, 91198 France
J Biol Chem 278:891-5. 2003..Keeping in mind this characteristic and the amino acid sequence of the cleavage sites, we concluded that furin is involved in the maturation of the HBeAg...
- 'Shed' furin: mapping of the cleavage determinants and identification of its C-terminusB Plaimauer
Biomedical Research Center, Hyland Immuno Division, Baxter Healthcare, Uferstr 15, 2304 Orth Donau, Austria
Biochem J 354:689-95. 2001The human endoprotease furin is involved in the proteolytic maturation of the precursor molecules of a wide variety of bioactive proteins...
- PC8 [corrected], a new member of the convertase familyA Bruzzaniti
St Vincent s Institute of Medical Research, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Biochem J 314:727-31. 1996..PC8 was predicted to be 785 residues long and was structurally related to the mammalian convertases furin, PACE4, PC1 and PC2, sharing more than 50% amino acid identity over the catalytic region with these family members...
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005..In doing so, we will test the hypothesis that furin-like subtilisin family proprotein convertases (PCs) are at least partially responsible...
- Von Willebrand Factor Multimer Assembly and StructureJ Evan Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2010..The cleavage of the VWF propeptide by furin also is regulated by pH, and the role of propeptide cleavage in VWF storage and secretion will be characterized...
- Von Willebrand Factor Multimer Assembly and StructureJ Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2009..The cleavage of the VWF propeptide by furin also is regulated by pH, and the role of propeptide cleavage in VWF storage and secretion will be characterized...
- Molecular Requirements for Recombinant Cytotoxins EfficacyWaldemar Debinski; Fiscal Year: 2009..of the restricted binding sites for the cytotoxins and an intracellular protease activating bacterial toxins (furin) play major roles in the cytotoxins' tumor cell killing...
- Molecular Requirements for Recombinant Cytotoxins EfficacyWaldemar Debinski; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the restricted binding sites for the cytotoxins and an intracellular protease activating bacterial toxins (furin) play major roles in the cytotoxins'tumor cell killing...
- Molecular Requirements for Recombinant Cytotoxins EfficacyWaldemar Debinski; Fiscal Year: 2007..of the restricted binding sites for the cytotoxins and an intracellular protease activating bacterial toxins (furin) play major roles in the cytotoxins' tumor cell killing...
- Guidance of Taste Nerve During DevelopmentMICHAEL ROCHLIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The role of the protease furin, previously implicated in Sema3A inactivation, will be tested in vitro using a specific inhibitor.
- Blockade of Anthrax Cytotoxicity Using Furin InhibitorsIris Lindberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..Previous research has shown that this cleavage is performed by a cellular surface enzyme known as furin, a member of the family of eukaryotic subtilisins...
- Genetic Determinants of Hypertensive Heart Disease in CRIDaniel Dries; Fiscal Year: 2009..The candidate genes of interest are: corin, furin, ANP, BNP, CNP, NPR-A, NPR-B, NPR-C, PKG-I, and NEP...
- Genetic Determinants of Hypertensive Heart Disease in CRIDaniel L Dries; Fiscal Year: 2010..The candidate genes of interest are: corin, furin, ANP, BNP, CNP, NPR-A, NPR-B, NPR-C, PKG-I, and NEP...
- SPECIFICITY AND STRUCTURE--THE KEX2 AND FURIN PROTEASESRobert Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2000..The first known human Kex2 homologue, furin, is implicated in many physiology/medically important processes: maturation of precursors of growth factors and ..
- Characterizing Class 1 Fusion Proteins: Elucidation of Coronavirus fusion peptideIKENNA MADU; Fiscal Year: 2007..A bioinformatics analysis of the IBV Bdtte spike protein revealed a unique consensus Furin cleavage site within the S2 domain of the spike protein...
- Epithelial BAFF and APRIL in Airway Inflammation, Immunity and DiseaseRobert Schleimer; Fiscal Year: 2009..study the production and source of BAFF and APRIL by antigen challenged human mucosal tissue and will analyze the furin proteases involved in their expression...
- Epithelial BAFF and APRIL in Airway Inflammation, Immunity and DiseaseRobert P Schleimer; Fiscal Year: 2010..study the production and source of BAFF and APRIL by antigen challenged human mucosal tissue and will analyze the furin proteases involved in their expression...
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery W Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..mutations prevent Ca2+ binding to domain 2, rendering plasma gelsolin susceptible to aberrant endoproteolysis by furin in the Golgi during secretion...
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2007..mutations prevent Ca2+ binding to domain 2, rendering plasma gelsolin susceptible to aberrant endoproteolysis by furin in the Golgi during secretion...
- Specificity and Structure: The Kex 2 and Furin ProteasesRobert Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2005..The first known human Kex2 homologue, furin, is implicated in maturation of growth factors and growth factor receptors, coagulation factors, viral ..
- A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Gelsolin Amyloid DiseaseJeffery Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have discovered that the protease furin (found in the Golgi and endocytic compartments) and, potentially, related members of the prohormone convertase ..
- STUDIES ON CLOSTRIDIUM SEPTICUM LETHAL TOXINRodney Tweten; Fiscal Year: 2003..is produced as an inactive protoxin which requires proteolytic activation by normal cellular proteases such as furin. The investigators propose to continue the detailed study of the cytolytic mechanism of alpha toxin in order to ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF BLOOD CLOTTING PROTEINSBruce Furie; Fiscal Year: 2001..The physiological roles of furin and proprotein convertase 7 (PC7) in propeptide cleavage of the vitamin K-dependent proteins will be determined ..