- Regulation of OPA1 processing and mitochondrial fusion by m-AAA protease isoenzymes and OMA1
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Germany
J Cell Biol 187:1023-36. 2009
..Our findings link distinct peptidases to constitutive and induced OPA1 processing and shed new light on the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative disorders associated with mutations in m-AAA protease subunits...
- Domain loss facilitates accelerated evolution and neofunctionalization of duplicate snake venom metalloproteinase toxin genes
Nicholas R Casewell
Alistair Reid Venom Research Unit, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Evol 28:2637-49. 2011
- ORMDL3 is an inducible lung epithelial gene regulating metalloproteases, chemokines, OAS, and ATF6
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16648-53. 2012
..Transfection of ORMDL3 in human bronchial epithelial cells in vitro induced expression of metalloproteases (MMP-9, ADAM-8), CC chemokines (CCL-20), CXC chemokines (IL-8, CXCL-10, CXCL-11), oligoadenylate synthetases (..
- Synaptic autoregulation by metalloproteases and γ-secretase
Department of Biochemistry, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosci 31:12083-93. 2011
The proteolytic machinery comprising metalloproteases and γ-secretase, an intramembrane aspartyl protease involved in Alzheimer's disease, cleaves several substrates in addition to the extensively studied amyloid precursor protein...
- Scyphozoan jellyfish venom metalloproteinases and their role in the cytotoxicity
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju 660 701, South Korea
Toxicon 58:277-84. 2011
..In conclusion, the present report proposes a novel finding of Scyphozoan jellyfish venom metalloproteinases and their potential role in the cytotoxicity...
- PINK1 is selectively stabilized on impaired mitochondria to activate Parkin
Derek P Narendra
Biochemistry Section, Surgical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS Biol 8:e1000298. 2010
..In addition, they support a novel model for the negative selection of damaged mitochondria, in which PINK1 signals mitochondrial dysfunction to Parkin, and Parkin promotes their elimination...
- Enzymatic toxins from snake venom: structural characterization and mechanism of catalysis
Tse Siang Kang
Department of Pharmacy, National University of Singapore, Singapore
FEBS J 278:4544-76. 2011
..The structures of inhibitor-enzyme complexes provide ideal platforms for the design of potent inhibitors which are useful in the development of prototypes and lead compounds with potential therapeutic applications...
- Androgen receptor expresion in breast cancer: relationship with clinicopathological characteristics of the tumors, prognosis, and expression of metalloproteases and their inhibitors
Luis O Gonzalez
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital de Jove, Gijon, Spain
BMC Cancer 8:149. 2008
..cancer, the tumor expression of androgen receptors (AR), its relationship with clinicopathological characteristics and with the expression of several matrix metalloproteases (MMPs) and their inhibitors (TIMPs), as well as with prognosis.
- The InhA metalloproteases of Bacillus cereus contribute concomitantly to virulence
Unité Génétique Microbienne et Environnement, INRA, La Minière, 78285 Guyancourt Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 192:286-94. 2010
..To study this aspect of pathogenesis, we focused on three metalloproteases, InhA1, InhA2, and InhA3, which share more than 66% identity...
- Structural considerations of the snake venom metalloproteinases, key members of the M12 reprolysin family of metalloproteinases
Jay W Fox
Department of Microbiology, Health Sciences Center, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0734, USA
Toxicon 45:969-85. 2005
..What the reader will observe is that there are very interesting structural features displayed by the various SVMP classes and subclasses that provide insight into their functional characteristics...
- CLCAs - a family of metalloproteases of intriguing phylogenetic distribution and with cases of substituted catalytic sites
Department of Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
PLoS ONE 8:e62272. 2013
The zinc-dependent metalloproteases with His-Glu-x-x-His (HExxH) active site motif, zincins, are a broad group of proteins involved in many metabolic and regulatory functions, and found in all forms of life...
- Human complement activation and anaphylatoxins generation induced by snake venom toxins from Bothrops genus
Immunochemistry Laboratory, Butantan Institute, Av Prof Vital Brazil, 1500, CEP 05503 900, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mol Immunol 47:2537-44. 2010
- The expression and regulation of ADAMTS-1, -4, -5, -9, and -15, and TIMP-3 by TGFbeta1 in prostate cells: relevance to the accumulation of versican
N A Cross
Academic Urology Unit, Division of Clinical Sciences South, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Prostate 63:269-75. 2005
..A sub-group of the ADAMTS lineage of metalloproteases possess versican-degrading properties and are potential regulators of proteoglycan accumulation associated ..
- Expression profiling, gene silencing and transcriptional networking of metzincin metalloproteases in the cattle tick, Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus
Annette Christi Barnard
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, 0002, South Africa
Vet Parasitol 186:403-14. 2012
..In this study we identified metzincin metalloproteases from Rhipicephalus microplus as potential vaccine candidates since they are implicated as essential to blood-..
- Isolation and structural characterization of a new fibrin(ogen)olytic metalloproteinase from Bothrops moojeni snake venom
Carolina P Bernardes
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, 38400 902 Uberlândia MG, Brazil
Toxicon 51:574-84. 2008
..Since the BmooMPalpha-I enzyme was found to cause defibrinogenation when administered i.p. on mice, it is expected that it may be of medical interest as a therapeutic agent in the treatment and prevention of arterial thrombosis...
- Similar active sites in lysostaphins and D-Ala-D-Ala metallopeptidases
IIMCB, Trojdena 4, 02 109 Warsaw, Poland
Protein Sci 13:854-61. 2004
- Bothrops jararaca venom gland transcriptome: analysis of the gene expression pattern
Daniela A P Cidade
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, CEP 20551 013 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Toxicon 48:437-61. 2006
- Evolutionary trends in venom composition in the western rattlesnakes (Crotalus viridis sensu lato): toxicity vs. tenderizers
Stephen P Mackessy
School of Biological Sciences, University of Northern Colorado, 501 20th St, CB 92, Greeley, CO 80639 0017, USA
Toxicon 55:1463-74. 2010
..The functional significance of these biochemical characteristics likely relates to characteristics of prey consumed, and venoms with low metalloproteinase activity may constrain snake prey selection or foraging activity patterns...
- Human meprin alpha and beta homo-oligomers: cleavage of basement membrane proteins and sensitivity to metalloprotease inhibitors
Markus N Kruse
Institute of Zoophysiology, University of Munster, Hindenburgplatz 55, D 48143 Munster, Germany
Biochem J 378:383-9. 2004
..Therapeutic targets for these inhibitors are MMPs (matrix metalloproteases), TACE (tumour necrosis factor alpha-converting enzyme) and angiotensin-converting enzyme respectively...
- Degradation of circulating von Willebrand factor and its regulator ADAMTS13 implicates secreted Bacillus anthracis metalloproteases in anthrax consumptive coagulopathy
Myung Chul Chung
National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Diseases, College of Sciences, George Mason University, 10900 University Boulevard, Manassas, VA 20110, USA
J Biol Chem 283:9531-42. 2008
..We previously demonstrated that purified anthrax neutral metalloproteases Npr599 and InhA are capable of cleaving a variety of host structural and regulatory proteins...
- The Arabidopsis FtsH metalloprotease gene family: interchangeability of subunits in chloroplast oligomeric complexes
Department of Genetics, Development and Cell Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Plant J 37:864-76. 2004
..A threshold model is presented to explain the pattern of variegation in var2 in which AtFtsH8 provides a compensating activity in the green sectors of the mutant...
- The novel metalloproteinase atroxlysin-I from Peruvian Bothrops atrox (Jergón) snake venom acts both on blood vessel ECM and platelets
Eladio F Sanchez
Research and Development Center, Ezequiel Dias Foundation, 30510 010 Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 496:9-20. 2010
..Complementarily, the laminin and collagen binding integrins alpha7beta1 and alpha1beta1 were cleaved by atroxlysin. Even without catalytic activity atroxlysin-I inhibited collagen- and ADP-triggered platelet aggregation...
- Expression profiling of metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in normal and degenerate human achilles tendon
Gavin C Jones
Rheumatology Research Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Arthritis Rheum 54:832-42. 2006
- Effects of glucosamine hydrochloride on the production of prostaglandin E2, nitric oxide and metalloproteases by chondrocytes and synoviocytes in osteoarthritis
Department of Bioregulation, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
Clin Exp Rheumatol 22:293-9. 2004
To determine the response of glucosamine hydrochloride on chondrocytes and synoviocytes in terms of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), nitric oxide (NO) and matrix metalloproteases (MMPs).
- Degradomics: systems biology of the protease web. Pleiotropic roles of MMPs in cancer
Christopher M Overall
The UBC Centre for Blood Research, Life Sciences Institute, CBCRA Program in Breast Cancer Metastasis, Department of Oral Biological, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B C, Canada, V6T 1Z3
Cancer Metastasis Rev 25:69-75. 2006
..These sophisticated cellular control functions highlight new intervention points in multiple pathways to treat early stage cancer...
- Neutralization of the haemorrhagic activities of viperine snake venoms and venom metalloproteinases using synthetic peptide inhibitors and chelators
J M Howes
Alistair Reid Venom Research Unit, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Toxicon 49:734-9. 2007
- Snake venom fibrin(ogen)olytic enzymes
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Centre, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Toxicon 45:1021-39. 2005
- Changes in matrix protein biochemistry and the expression of mRNA encoding matrix proteins and metalloproteinases in posterior tibialis tendinopathy
Anthony N Corps
Rheumatology Research Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 71:746-52. 2012
..In this study, the authors compared normal PTT, stage II dysfunctional PTT and replacement FDLT, aiming to define changes in collagen modification, glycosaminoglycan (GAG) and the expression of matrix and metalloproteinase mRNA...
- Role of collagens and perlecan in microvascular stability: exploring the mechanism of capillary vessel damage by snake venom metalloproteinases
Instituto Clodomiro Picado, Facultad de Microbiologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
PLoS ONE 6:e28017. 2011
..These results underscore the key role played by these ECM components in the mechanical stability of microvessels...
- The structure of Mlc titration factor A (MtfA/YeeI) reveals a prototypical zinc metallopeptidase related to anthrax lethal factor
Joint Center for Structural Genomics, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Menlo Park, CA, USA
J Bacteriol 194:2987-99. 2012
..These results clearly provide support for MtfA as a prototypical zinc metallopeptidase (gluzincin clan)...
- Snake venom metalloproteinases
Francis S Markland
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Cancer Research Laboratory 106, 1303 N Mission Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Toxicon 62:3-18. 2013
..The "Met-turn" structure contains a conserved Met residue that forms a hydrophobic basement for the three zinc-binding histidines in the consensus sequence...
- The murine goblet cell protein mCLCA3 is a zinc-dependent metalloprotease with autoproteolytic activity
Melanie K Bothe
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Freie Universitaet Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Mol Cells 32:535-41. 2011
..a conserved HEXXH zinc-binding amino acid motif has been identified, suggesting a role for CLCA proteins as metalloproteases. Here, we have characterized the cleavage and autoproteolytic activity of the murine model protein mCLCA3, ..
- The potential role of metalloproteinases in neurogenesis in the gerbil hippocampus following global forebrain ischemia
NeuroRepair Department, Mossakowski Medical Research Centre, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
PLoS ONE 6:e22465. 2011
- Activation of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) by a novel metalloprotease pathway
David A Bergin
Respiratory Research Division, Department of Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Biol Chem 283:31736-44. 2008
..The data describe a previously unidentified lung metalloprotease meprin alpha, and its role in NE-induced EGFR and TLR4 activation and IL-8 production...
- Characterization of secreted proteases of Paenibacillus larvae, potential virulence factors involved in honeybee larval infection
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biologicas Clemente Estable, Avda Italia 3318, CP 11600 Montevideo, Uruguay
J Invertebr Pathol 102:129-32. 2009
..larvae. Inhibition assays confirmed the presence of metalloproteases. Two different proteases patterns (PP1 and PP2) were identified in a collection of P...
- The venom-gland transcriptome of the eastern diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus)
Darin R Rokyta
Department of Biological Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 4295, USA
BMC Genomics 13:312. 2012
- Trypanosoma cruzi GP63 proteins undergo stage-specific differential posttranslational modification and are important for host cell infection
Manjusha M Kulkarni
Division of Infectious Diseases and Center for Microbial Interface Biology, The Ohio State University, Biomedical Research Tower, Rm 1012, 460 W 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210 1240, USA
Infect Immun 77:2193-200. 2009
The protozoan Trypanosoma cruzi expresses multiple isoforms of the GP63 family of metalloproteases. Polyclonal antiserum against recombinant GP63 of T. cruzi (TcGP63) was used to study TcGP63 expression and localization in this organism...
- Self-cleavage of human CLCA1 protein by a novel internal metalloprotease domain controls calcium-activated chloride channel activation
Biochemistry Program, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 287:42138-49. 2012
..These data provide both a mechanistic basis for CLCA1 self-cleavage and a novel mechanism for regulation of chloride channel activity specific to the mucosal interface...
- Effect of retinal laser photocoagulation on the activity of metalloproteinases and the alpha(2)-macroglobulin proteolytic state in the vitreous of eyes with proliferative diabetic retinopathy
Maria C Sanchez
Centro de Investigaciones en Bioquímica Clínica e Inmunología CIBICI CONICET Departamento de Bioquímica Clínica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Ciudad Universitaria, Cordoba, Argentina
Exp Eye Res 85:644-50. 2007
..In addition, we suggest that alpha(2)M plays a key role in the control and regulation of the ocular neovascularization involved in the pathogenesis of ischemic retinal diseases such as PDR...
- Metalloproteases and rotator cuff disease
Angelo Del Buono
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Campus Biomedico, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 21:200-8. 2012
..Further studies are needed to better define the mechanism of action, and whether these new strategies are safe and effective in larger models...
- Proteolysis of Xenopus laevis egg envelope ZPA triggers envelope hardening
Leann L Lindsay
Department of Animal Science, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, United States
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 324:648-54. 2004
..We propose a mechanism for egg envelope hardening involving ZPA proteolysis by an egg metalloprotease as a triggering event followed by induction of global conformational changes in egg envelope glycoproteins...
- Metalloproteinases in Drosophila to humans that are central players in developmental processes
Department of Cell and Regenerative Biology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Biol Chem 286:41905-11. 2011
- Novel venom gene discovery in the platypus
Camilla M Whittington
Faculty of Veterinary Science, The University of Sydney, Regimental Crescent, Camperdown, NSW 2006, Australia
Genome Biol 11:R95. 2010
..We have constructed and sequenced a cDNA library from an active platypus venom gland to identify the remaining components...
- JAMM: a metalloprotease-like zinc site in the proteasome and signalosome
Xavier I Ambroggio
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
PLoS Biol 2:E2. 2004
..The active site-like architecture specified by the JAMM motif motivates structure-based approaches to the study of JAMM domain proteins and the development of therapeutic proteasome and signalosome inhibitors...
- UV-induced EGFR signal transactivation is dependent on proligand shedding by activated metalloproteases in skin cancer cell lines
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany
Int J Cancer 124:531-9. 2009
..Using RNAi this EGFR activation was further shown to depend on the metalloproteases ADAM9 and ADAM17 in SCC-9 cells...
- A membrane metalloprotease participates in the sequential degradation of a Caulobacter polarity determinant
Joseph C Chen
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Beckman Center, 279 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305 5329, USA
Mol Microbiol 55:1085-103. 2005
..MmpA belongs to the site-2 protease (S2P) family of membrane-embedded zinc metalloproteases, which includes SpoIVFB and YluC of Bacillus subtilis and YaeL of Escherichia coli...
- ADAMs, cell migration and cancer
Medical Oncology Research Program, Vall d Hebron University Hospital Research Institute, 08035, Barcelona, Spain
Cancer Metastasis Rev 25:57-68. 2006
- Metalloproteases regulate T-cell proliferation and effector function via LAG-3
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
EMBO J 26:494-504. 2007
..We show that LAG-3 cleavage is mediated by two transmembrane metalloproteases, ADAM10 and ADAM17, with the activity of both modulated by two distinct T-cell receptor (TCR) signaling-..
- A family of putative metalloproteases in the salivary glands of the tick Ixodes ricinus
IBMM, Institut de Biologie et Médecine Moléculaires, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
FEBS J 275:1485-99. 2008
..Here, we describe a multigene family coding for five putative salivary metalloproteases induced during the blood meal of Ixodes ricinus...
- Activation of plasminogen activator inhibitor implicates protease InhA in the acute-phase response to Bacillus anthracis infection
Myung Chul Chung
National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Diseases, George Mason University, Manassas, VA 20110, USA
J Med Microbiol 58:737-44. 2009
- Isolation and characterization of metalloproteases with a novel domain structure by construction and screening of metagenomic libraries
Abteilung Genomische und Angewandte Mikrobiologie, Institut für Mikrobiologie und Genetik der Georg August Universität, Grisebachstr 8, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2506-16. 2009
..of two prepeptidase C-terminal domains and one proprotein convertase P domain, is novel for bacterial metalloproteases. Studies with derivatives of MprA and MprB revealed that the C-terminal extension is not essential for ..
- An essential role in molting and morphogenesis of Caenorhabditis elegans for ACN-1, a novel member of the angiotensin-converting enzyme family that lacks a metallopeptidase active site
Darren R Brooks
Molecular and Cellular Biosciences Research, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Miall Building, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:52340-6. 2003
- A new protein structure of P-II class snake venom metalloproteinases: it comprises metalloproteinase and disintegrin domains
Run Qiang Chen
Department of Animal Toxinology, Kunming Institute of Zoology, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming 650223, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 310:182-7. 2003
- Regulation of skeletal muscle oxidative capacity and insulin signaling by the mitochondrial rhomboid protease PARL
Anthony E Civitarese
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Cell Metab 11:412-26. 2010
..We propose that lower PARL expression may contribute to the mitochondrial abnormalities seen in aging and T2DM...
- Synergistic inhibition with a dual epidermal growth factor receptor/HER-2/neu tyrosine kinase inhibitor and a disintegrin and metalloprotease inhibitor
Department of Medicine, The Milton S Hershey Medical Center Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Cancer Res 68:7083-9. 2008
..These results suggest that there may be an additional clinical benefit of combining agents that target the ErbB pathways at multiple points...
- Identification and characterization of human archaemetzincin-1 and -2, two novel members of a family of metalloproteases widely distributed in Archaea
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Medicina, Instituto Universitario de Oncologia, Universidad de Oviedo, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
J Biol Chem 280:30367-75. 2005
..We report here the identification of two new human metalloproteases that have been called archaemetzincin-1 (AMZ1) and archaemetzincin-2 (AMZ2) to emphasize their close ..
- Hemorrhage induced by snake venom metalloproteinases: biochemical and biophysical mechanisms involved in microvessel damage
Jose Maria Gutierrez
Instituto Clodomiro Picado, Facultad de Microbiologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
Toxicon 45:997-1011. 2005
..In addition, endothelial cells become more susceptible to blood flow-dependent shear stress, which further contributes to capillary wall disruption...
- Regulation of the mitochondrial dynamin-like protein Opa1 by proteolytic cleavage
Department of Biological Chemistry, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Cell Biol 178:757-64. 2007
..We conclude that Yme1 constitutively regulates a subset of Opa1 isoforms and an unknown mitochondrial morphology protein, whereas the loss of membrane potential induces the further proteolysis of Opa1...
- Backbone flexibility controls the activity and specificity of a protein-protein interface: specificity in snake venom metalloproteases
Hannes G Wallnoefer
Institute of General, Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Innsbruck, Innrain 52a, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Am Chem Soc 132:10330-7. 2010
..A perfect paradigm to study such multispecific protein-protein interfaces are snake venom metalloproteases (SVMPs)...
- Analysis of Bothrops jararacussu venomous gland transcriptome focusing on structural and functional aspects: I--gene expression profile of highly expressed phospholipases A2
Unidade de Biotecnologia, Universidade de Ribeirao Preto, UNAERP, 14096 380 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
Biochimie 86:211-9. 2004
..Adjoining this very abundant class of proteins we found 88 transcripts codifying for putative sequences of metalloproteases, which after clustering and assembling resulted in three full-length sequences: BOJUMET-I, BOJUMET-II and ..
- Collagens, proteoglycans, MMP-2, MMP-9 and TIMPs in human achilles tendon rupture
Department of Experimental Biomedical and Clinical Sciences DSBSC, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:1577-82. 2008
..expression of collagen Type I, decorin, and versican including enzymes involved in their metabolism as matrix metalloproteases (MMP-2 and -9) and tissue inhibitory of metalloproteinase (TIMP-1 and -2) using real-time PCR, zymography and ..
- Expression of metalloproteases and their inhibitors in different histological types of breast cancer
J M del Casar
Unidad de Investigacion, Fundación Hospital de Jove, 33290 Gijón, Asturias, Spain
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 136:811-9. 2010
b>Metalloproteases (MMPs) and their tissue inhibitors of metalloproteases (TIMPs) are involved in several key aspects of tumoral growth, invasion and metastasis...
- Venomic and antivenomic analyses of the Central American coral snake, Micrurus nigrocinctus (Elapidae)
Instituto Clodomiro Picado, Facultad de Microbiología, Escuela de Medicina, Universidad de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica
J Proteome Res 10:1816-27. 2011
..nigrocinctus equine antivenom revealed differences in immunorecognition of venom proteins that correlate with their molecular mass, with the weakest recognition observed toward 3FTxs...
- On the relevance of the Met-turn methionine in metzincins
Proteolysis Laboratory, Department of Structural Biology, Molecular Biology Institute of Barcelona, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Barcelona Science Park, Helix Building, c Baldiri Reixac, 15 21, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
J Biol Chem 285:13951-7. 2010
..Replacement of the methionine with residues that deviate in size, side-chain conformation, and chemical properties impairs the plug-core interaction and prejudices molecular stability and activity...
- Extracellular proteases of Acanthamoeba castellanii (encephalitis isolate belonging to T1 genotype) contribute to increased permeability in an in vitro model of the human blood-brain barrier
School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Birkbeck College, University of London, London WC1E 7HX, UK
J Infect 51:150-6. 2005
..Objectives of this study were to determine the effects of Acanthamoeba on the permeability of an in vitro blood-brain barrier model and factors contributing to these changes...
- Role of metalloproteases in vaccinia virus epitope processing for transporter associated with antigen processing (TAP)-independent human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-B7 class I antigen presentation
Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, 28220 Majadahonda Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 287:9990-10000. 2012
..These data may explain why TAP-deficient individuals live normal life spans without any increased susceptibility to viral infections...
- Substrate specificity of a metalloprotease of the pappalysin family revealed by an inhibitor and a product complex
Departament de Biologia Estructural, Institut de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona, CSIC, c Jordi Girona, 18 26, E 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Arch Biochem Biophys 457:57-72. 2007
..of insulin-like growth factors and the founding member of the pappalysin family within the metzincin clan of metalloproteases. We have recently identified an archaeal relative, ulilysin, encompassing only the protease domain...
- Endothelin-converting enzymes and related metalloproteases in Alzheimer's disease
Biomedical Research Institute of New Jersey, MidAtlantic Neonatology Associates, and Atlantic Health System, Morristown, NJ, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 33:S101-10. 2013
- Expression of mRNAs coding for VAP1/crotastatin-like metalloproteases in the venom glands of three South American pit vipers assessed by quantitative real-time PCR
N A C Tavares
Department of Biochemistry and Laboratory of Immunopathology Keizo Asami LIKA, Federal University of Pernambuco, Av Professor Moraes Rego 1235, Cidade Universitaria, Recife, PE 50670 901, Brazil
Toxicon 52:897-907. 2008
Snake venom metalloproteases encompass a large family of toxins, with approximately 200 members already catalogued, which exhibit a diversity of structures and biological functions...
- Molecular characterization and comparative study of 6 salivary gland metalloproteases from the hard tick, Haemaphysalis longicornis
National Research Center for Protozoan Diseases, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Obihiro, Hokkaido, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 147:93-101. 2007
Six genes encoding metalloproteases were identified from the salivary gland of the hard tick, Haemaphysalis longicornis...
- [Metalloproteases, vascular remodeling and atherothrombotic syndromes]
Jose A Rodriguez
Laboratorio de Aterosclerosis, Area de Ciencias Cardiovasculares, CIMA Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Espana
Rev Esp Cardiol 60:959-67. 2007
- Mitochondrial respiratory chain dysfunction modulates metalloproteases -1, -3 and -13 in human normal chondrocytes in culture
Rheumatology Division, INIBIC Hospital Universitario A Coruña, A Coruna, Spain
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 14:235. 2013
..In this study we have investigated the relationship between the MRC dysfunction and the regulation of metalloproteases (MMPs) in human normal chondrocytes in culture.
- The substrate degradome of meprin metalloproteases reveals an unexpected proteolytic link between meprin β and ADAM10
Institute of Biochemistry, Christian Albrechts University, 24118, Kiel, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 70:309-33. 2013
The in vivo roles of meprin metalloproteases in pathophysiological conditions remain elusive. Substrates define protease roles...
- The role of serine- and metalloproteases in Nasonia vitripennis venom in cell death related processes towards a Spodoptera frugiperda Sf21 cell line
Ellen M Formesyn
Laboratory of Zoophysiology, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Insect Physiol 59:795-803. 2013
..Two protease families, serine proteases and metalloproteases were examined for their possible cytotoxic functions in the Spodoptera frugiperda (Sf21) cell line using ..
- Secreted proteases from dermatophytes
Service de Dermatologie et Venereologie, Laboratoire de Mycologie, BT422, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Mycopathologia 166:285-94. 2008
..and are members of two large protein families, the subtilisins (serine proteases) and the fungalysins (metalloproteases). In addition, dermatophytes excrete sulphite as a reducing agent...
- Extracellular metalloproteases from bacteria
Ji Wei Wu
Dezhou University, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 92:253-62. 2011
Bacterial extracellular metalloproteases (BEMPs) are a large group of metal-containing proteases secreted by heterotrophic bacteria...
- A rapid and sensitive fluorometric method for the quantitative analysis of snake venom metalloproteases and their inhibitors
J E Biardi
Department of Biology, Fairfield University, 1073 North Benson Road, Fairfield, CT 06824, USA
Toxicon 57:342-7. 2011
b>Metalloproteases are responsible for the hemorrhagic effects of many snake venoms and contribute to other pathways that lead to local tissue damage...
- Rock squirrel (Spermophilus variegatus) blood sera affects proteolytic and hemolytic activities of rattlesnake venoms
James E Biardi
Department of Biology, Fairfield University, 1073 North Benson Road, Fairfield, CT 06824, USA
Toxicon 57:323-31. 2011
..These results suggest that rock squirrels (S. variegatus) can defend against metalloproteases and other proteases after envenomation from at least two of five rattlesnake predators they might encounter...
- Contribution of metalloproteases, serine proteases and phospholipases A2 to the inflammatory reaction induced by Bothrops jararaca crude venom in mice
Bianca Cestari Zychar
Laboratorio de Fisiopatologia, Instituto Butantan, Av Vital Brazil, 1500, 05503 900 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Toxicon 55:227-34. 2010
..Notwithstanding, the relative participation of serine proteases, metalloproteases and phospholipases A(2) in the inflammatory reaction produced by crude Bothrops venoms is poorly understood...
- Hydrated conidia of Metarhizium anisopliae release a family of metalloproteases
Sohail S Qazi
Microbial Biotechnology Molecular Microbiology Laboratories, Department of Applied Microbiology and Food Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Invertebr Pathol 95:48-59. 2007
..anisopliae in its saprobic or pathogenic modalities. To our knowledge this is the first report describing release of metalloprotease isozymes from conidia...
- Tackling EGFR signaling with TACE antagonists: a rational target for metalloprotease inhibitors in cancer
Paraic A Kenny
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Road, MS977 225A, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 11:1287-98. 2007
..This review presents the background to these findings and a rationale for the continued development of TACE inhibitors for the treatment of epidermal growth factor receptor-dependent epithelial tumors...
- The zinc metallopeptidase family: new faces, new functions
Rebecca A Lew
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton Victoria, Australia 3800
Protein Pept Lett 11:407-14. 2004
- Roles of metalloproteases in metastatic niche
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Curr Mol Med 11:609-22. 2011
- Structural aspects of the metzincin clan of metalloendopeptidases
F Xavier Gomis-Ruth
Institut de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona, CID CSICC Jordi Girona, 18 26 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Mol Biotechnol 24:157-202. 2003
..Moreover, newly available genomic sequences have unveiled novel putative metzincin families and new hypothetical members of existing ones...
- Metalloproteases and egg-hatching in Pediculus humanus, the body (clothes) louse of humans (Phthiraptera: Insecta)
V M Bowles
Centre for Animal Biotechnology, School of Veterinary Science, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, 3010, Australia
Parasitology 135:125-30. 2008
..05) louse egg-hatch (100% and 58%, respectively). The presence of metalloproteases at the time of egg-hatch and the inhibition of egg-hatch in P...
- Impaired autoproteolytic cleavage of mCLCA6, a murine integral membrane protein expressed in enterocytes, leads to cleavage at the plasma membrane instead of the endoplasmic reticulum
Melanie K Bothe
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Freie Universitaet Berlin, 14163 Berlin, Germany
Mol Cells 33:251-7. 2012
..They have been shown to modulate endogenous chloride conductance, possibly by acting as metalloproteases. Based on the differential processing of the subunits after posttranslational cleavage, two subgroups of CLCA ..
- Presence of peptide inhibitors in rattlesnake venoms and their effects on endogenous metalloproteases
Sean M Munekiyo
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Northern Colorado, 501 20th St, CB 92, Greeley, CO 80639 0017, USA
Toxicon 45:255-63. 2005
..of rattlesnakes and evaluated the role of these peptides in inhibiting and stabilizing isolated major venom metalloproteases (Cvo Pr V and cromipyrrhin) from Crotalus oreganus oreganus and C. mitchelli pyrrhus venom...
- Metalloproteases and the degradome
Alejandro P Ugalde
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Universidad de Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Methods Mol Biol 622:3-29. 2010
b>Metalloproteases comprise a heterogeneous group of proteolytic enzymes whose main characteristic is the utilization of a metal ion to polarize a water molecule and perform hydrolytic reactions...
- Papilin, a novel component of basement membranes, in relation to ADAMTS metalloproteases and ECM development
John H Fessler
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1570, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:1079-84. 2004
..with a cassette of protein domains at the carboxyl-end of the ADAMTS subgroup of secreted, matrix-associated metalloproteases. Papilins primarily occur in basement membranes...
- Role of metalloproteases in retinal degeneration induced by violet and blue light
University Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Adv Exp Med Biol 664:159-64. 2010
An essential role for metalloproteases (MMPs) has been described in blood vessel neoformation and the removal of cell debris. MMPs also play a key role in degenerative processes and in tumors...
- Characterization of the astacin family of metalloproteases in C. elegans
Ja On Park
Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
BMC Dev Biol 10:14. 2010
Astacins are a large family of zinc metalloproteases found in bacteria and animals. They have diverse roles ranging from digestion of food to processing of extracellular matrix components. The C...
- Spatial localization of bacteria controls coagulation of human blood by 'quorum acting'
Christian J Kastrup
Department of Chemistry and Institute for Biophysical Dynamics, The University of Chicago, 929 East 57th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Nat Chem Biol 4:742-50. 2008
..We refer to this mechanism as 'quorum acting' to distinguish it from quorum sensing--it does not require a change in gene expression, it can be rapid and it can be independent of bacterium-to-bacterium communication...
- Activation of latent myostatin by the BMP-1/tolloid family of metalloproteinases
Neil M Wolfman
Department of Inflammation, Wyeth Research, 200 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15842-6. 2003
- Astacin-like metalloproteases are a gene family of toxins present in the venom of different species of the brown spider (genus Loxosceles)
Department of Cell Biology, Federal University of Parana, Brazil
Biochimie 92:21-32. 2010
..Moreover, mRNAs extracted from L. laeta and L. gaucho venom glands were screened for astacin-like metalloproteases, and cDNAs obtained using LALP1-specific primers were sequenced, and their deduced amino acid sequences ..
- The three extra-cellular zinc metalloproteinases of Streptococcus pneumoniae have a different impact on virulence in mice
Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare, Laboratorio di Microbiologia Molecolare e Biotecnologia, Universita di Siena, Siena, Italy
BMC Microbiol 3:14. 2003
- Hax1-mediated processing of HtrA2 by Parl allows survival of lymphocytes and neurons
Jyh Rong Chao
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Nature 452:98-102. 2008
..Together, the results identify a previously unknown sequence of interactions involving a Bcl-2-family-related protein and mitochondrial proteases in the ability to resist the induction of apoptosis when cytokines are limiting...
- A novel P-I class metalloproteinase with broad substrate-cleaving activity, agkislysin, from Agkistrodon acutus venom
Wen Jeng Wang
Chang Gung Institute of Technology, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan 33303, Taiwan, ROC
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 324:224-30. 2004
..These findings suggest that agkislysin is a P-I class metalloproteinase with unique biological properties...
- Insights into and speculations about snake venom metalloproteinase (SVMP) synthesis, folding and disulfide bond formation and their contribution to venom complexity
Jay W Fox
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0734, USA
FEBS J 275:3016-30. 2008
- High resolution analysis of snake venom metalloproteinase (SVMP) peptide bond cleavage specificity using proteome based peptide libraries and mass spectrometry
Adriana F Paes Leme
Brazilian Biosciences National Laboratory, CNPEM, Campinas, Brazil
J Proteomics 74:401-10. 2011
- Interaction of the cysteine-rich domain of snake venom metalloproteinases with the A1 domain of von Willebrand factor promotes site-specific proteolysis of von Willebrand factor and inhibition of von Willebrand factor-mediated platelet aggregation
Solange M T Serrano
Laboratório Especial de Toxinologia Aplicada and CAT CEPID, Instituto Butantan, Sao Paulo, Brazil
FEBS J 274:3611-21. 2007
..Thus, specific interaction of cysteine-rich domain-containing SVMPs with VWF may function to promote the hemorrhage caused by SVMP proteolysis of capillary basements and surrounding stromal extracellular matrix...
- Shedding of the amyloid precursor protein-like protein APLP2 by disintegrin-metalloproteinases
Institute of Biochemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
FEBS J 272:5808-20. 2005
..Retinoic acid treatment of two neuroblastoma cell lines upregulated the expression of both APLP2 and ADAM10, thus leading to an increased release of soluble APLP2...