Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of urea and water to carbon dioxide and ammonia. EC 126.96.36.199.
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- Cryptococcal urease promotes the accumulation of immature dendritic cells and a non-protective T2 immune response within the lungJohn J Osterholzer
Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Health System, Ann Arbor, 2215 Fuller Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Am J Pathol 174:932-43. 2009b>Urease, a major virulence factor for Cryptococcus neoformans, promotes lethal meningitis/encephalitis in mice. The effect of urease within the lung, the primary site of most invasive fungal infections, is unknown...
- Urease as a virulence factor in experimental cryptococcosisG M Cox
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Infect Immun 68:443-8. 2000b>Urease catalyzes the hydrolysis of urea to ammonia and carbamate and has been found to be an important pathogenic factor for certain bacteria...
- Urease expression by Cryptococcus neoformans promotes microvascular sequestration, thereby enhancing central nervous system invasionMichal A Olszewski
Veteran s Administration Medical Center Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Am J Pathol 164:1761-71. 2004Our objective was to determine the role of the cryptococcal virulence factor urease in pulmonary-to-central nervous system, dissemination, invasion, and growth. C...
- Real-time imaging of trapping and urease-dependent transmigration of Cryptococcus neoformans in mouse brainMeiqing Shi
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Invest 120:1683-93. 2010..Using a knockout strain of C. neoformans, we demonstrated that transmigration into the mouse brain is urease dependent. To determine whether this could be amenable to therapy, we used the urease inhibitor flurofamide...
- Comparison between magnifying endoscopy and histological, culture and urease test findings from the gastric mucosa of the corpusK Yagi
Department of Internal Medicine, Niigata Prefectural Yoshida Hospital, Japan
Endoscopy 34:376-81. 2002..pylori-negative normal stomach were described. This report describes the specific histological features and magnified views of the H. pylori-negative stomach and compares them with those seen during H. pylori-induced gastritis...
- Ureases as a target for the treatment of gastric and urinary infectionsC Follmer
Department of Physical Chemistry, Institute of Chemistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro 21941 909, Brazil
J Clin Pathol 63:424-30. 2010b>Urease is known to be a major contributor to pathologies induced by Helicobacter pylori and Proteus species...
- Large-scale virtual screening for the identification of new Helicobacter pylori urease inhibitor scaffoldsHoma Azizian
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 16 Azar Ave, Tehran, Iran
J Mol Model 18:2917-27. 2012..pylori urease enzyme. One of the compounds selected showed urease inhibition in the low micromolar range...
- Cutting edge: urease release by Helicobacter pylori stimulates macrophage inducible nitric oxide synthaseAlain P Gobert
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, and Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Immunol 168:6002-6. 2002..iNOS by coculturing macrophages with wild-type or mutant strains deficient in VacA, CagA, picB product, or urease (ureA(-)). When filters were used to separate H...
- Interplay of metal ions and ureaseEric L Carter
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 4320, USA
Metallomics 1:207-21. 2009b>Urease, the first enzyme to be crystallized, contains a dinuclear nickel metallocenter that catalyzes the decomposition of urea to produce ammonia, a reaction of great agricultural and medical importance...
- Unprecedented loss of ammonia assimilation capability in a urease-encoding bacterial mutualistLaura E Williams
The Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
BMC Genomics 11:687. 2010..Blochmannia perform key nutritional functions for the host, including synthesis of several essential amino acids. We used Illumina technology to sequence the genome of Blochmannia associated with Camponotus vafer...
- Insights into the role and structure of plant ureasesCristian Follmer
Departamento de Fisico Quimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CT, Bloco A S410, Rio de Janeiro 21941 909, Brazil
Phytochemistry 69:18-28. 2008..Since the isolation and characterization of jack bean urease by Sumner in 1926, many investigations have been dedicated to the structural and biological features of this ..
- Requirement of nickel metabolism proteins HypA and HypB for full activity of both hydrogenase and urease in Helicobacter pyloriJ W Olson
Department of Microbiology, 813 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Mol Microbiol 39:176-82. 2001The nickel-containing enzymes hydrogenase and urease require accessory proteins in order to incorporate properly the nickel atom(s) into the active sites...
- Biopsy site for detecting Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with gastric cancerChan Gyoo Kim
Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Ilsandong gu, Goyang, Gyeonggi, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:469-74. 2009..pylori. The aim of this study was to determine appropriate biopsy site for detecting H. pylori in gastric cancer patients...
- Design, synthesis, and evaluation of novel organophosphorus inhibitors of bacterial ureasesStamatia Vassiliou
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Wroclaw University of Technology, Wyb Wyspianskiego 27, 50 370 Wrocław, Poland
J Med Chem 51:5736-44. 2008A new group of organophosphorus inhibitors of urease, P-methyl phosphinic acids was discovered by using the structure based inhibitor design approach...
- Role of rapid urease test and histopathology in the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in a developing countryJaved Yakoob
Department of Gastroenterology and Pathology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Gastroenterol 5:38. 2005The aim of this study was to determine the effect of commonly self-prescribed proton pump inhibitors (PPI) on the results of rapid urease test and histology for the diagnosis of H. pylori infection.
- Endoscopic tests for the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in children: Validation of rapid urease testEleftheria Roma-Giannikou
First Department of Pediatrics, University of Athens, Greece
Helicobacter 15:227-32. 2010Rapid urease test (CLO-test) is an inexpensive and quick method for diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection with controversial results in children...
- Mycobacterium bovis BCG urease attenuates major histocompatibility complex class II trafficking to the macrophage cell surfaceKhalid Sendide
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Rm 452D, 2733 Heather Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5Z 3J5
Infect Immun 72:4200-9. 2004..In this study we examined whether intracellular alkalinization due to mycobacterial urease could account for the defect in intracellular trafficking of class II molecules...
- Endoscopic diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection by rapid urease test in bleeding peptic ulcers: a prospective case-control studyJui Hsiang Tang
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:133-9. 2009To assess the efficacy of rapid urease test (RUT) in patients with bleeding ulcers, as well as the effects of visible blood in the stomach and short-term (<24 h) use of standard-dose proton pump inhibitor (PPI) on RUT sensitivity.
- Analysis of Streptococcus salivarius urease expression using continuous chemostat cultureY Y Chen
Department of Dental Research, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY 14642, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 135:223-9. 1996..Using continuous chemostat culture, urease activity in Streptococcus salivarius 57...
- Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of phosphoramide derivatives as urease inhibitorsMaría J Domínguez
Synthesis Section and Molecular Modeling Section, Department of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Navarra, Irunlarrea 1, E 31008 Pamplona, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 56:3721-31. 2008The design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of phosphoramide derivatives as urease inhibitors to reduce the loss of ammonia has been carried out...
- Diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori: improving the sensitivity of CLOtest by increasing the number of gastric antral biopsiesIqbal Siddique
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:356-60. 2008The rapid urease CLOtest is commonly used during endoscopy to diagnose the presence of Helicobacter pylori...
- Urease inhibitors as potential drugs for gastric and urinary tract infections: a patent reviewPaulina Kosikowska
Wrocław University of Technology, Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Wrocław, Poland
Expert Opin Ther Pat 21:945-57. 2011b>Urease is the enzyme that catalyzes the hydrolysis of urea, which is involved in serious infections caused by Helicobacter pylori in the gastric tract, as well as Proteus and related species in the urinary tract...
- Inhibition of urease by bismuth(III): implications for the mechanism of action of bismuth drugsLi Zhang
Department of Chemistry and Open Laboratory of Chemical Biology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, PR China
Biometals 19:503-11. 2006..b>Urease, an enzyme that converts urea into ammonia and carbonic acid, is crucial for colonization of the acidic ..
- Detection of Helicobacter pylori in adenotonsiller tissue specimens by rapid urease test and polymerase chain reactionMete Eyigor
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:1611-3. 2009..Helicobacter pylori was searched by rapid urease test (RUT) and polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Presence of H...
- Antifungal activity of plant and bacterial ureasesA B Becker-Ritt
Graduate Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Brazil
Toxicon 50:971-83. 2007..Previous studies by our group have shown that plant ureases, but not a bacterial (Bacillus pasteurii) urease, display insecticidal activity...
- An intact urease assembly pathway is required to compete with NikR for nickel ions in Helicobacter pyloriErin L Benanti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Bacteriol 191:2405-8. 2009We examined the effects of urease and hydrogenase assembly gene deletions on NikR activation in H. pylori strains 26695 and G27...
- Membrane-disruptive properties of the bioinsecticide Jaburetox-2Ec: implications to the mechanism of the action of insecticidal peptides derived from ureasesPedro R Barros
Departamento de Fisico Quimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CT, Bloco A S410, Rio de Janeiro 21941 909, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1794:1848-54. 2009Jaburetox-2Ec, a recombinant peptide derived from an urease isoform (JBURE-II), displays high insecticidal activity against important pests such as Spodoptera frugiperda and Dysdercus peruvianus...
- Jaburetox-2Ec: an insecticidal peptide derived from an isoform of urease from the plant Canavalia ensiformisF Mulinari
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Peptides 28:2042-50. 2007Canatoxin, a urease isoform from Canavalia ensiformis seeds, shows insecticidal activity against different insect species...
- Urease is not involved in the virulence of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis in miceB Riot
INSERM U411, Faculte de Medecine Necker, Paris, France
Infect Immun 65:1985-90. 1997A chromosomal locus (ure) involved in the production of urease activity in the bacterial pathogen Yersinia pseudotuberculosis was characterized. The genetic organization of the Y...
- Jackbean, soybean and Bacillus pasteurii ureases: biological effects unrelated to ureolytic activityCristian Follmer
Department of Biophysics, IB, and Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Eur J Biochem 271:1357-63. 2004In this work we compared two plant ureases, jackbean urease (JBU) and embryo-specific soybean urease (SBU) and a bacterial (Bacillus pasteurii) urease, for kinetic parameters and other biological properties described recently for ureases ..
- OmpR positively regulates urease expression to enhance acid survival of Yersinia pseudotuberculosisYangBo Hu
Wuhan Institute of Virology, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430071, PR China
Microbiology 155:2522-31. 2009..0 and pH 4.5 with DeltaompR at pH 7.0, and urease components were revealed to be the main targets for OmpR regulation...
- Urease from cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) seeds: isolation, physicochemical characterization, and antifungal properties of the proteinAngela Menegassi
Graduate Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology Center of Biotechnology and Department of Biophysics, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, RS CEP 91501 970, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 56:4399-405. 2008..Despite an abundance of urease in vegetal tissues, the physiological role of this enzyme in plants is still poorly understood...
- Ureases display biological effects independent of enzymatic activity: is there a connection to diseases caused by urease-producing bacteria?D Olivera-Severo
Programa de Pós Graduação em Biologia Celular e Molecular, Centro de Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:851-61. 2006..We showed that some isoforms of jack bean urease, canatoxin and the classical urease, bind to glycoconjugates and induce platelet aggregation...
- Roles of alpha and beta carbonic anhydrases of Helicobacter pylori in the urease-dependent response to acidity and in colonization of the murine gastric mucosaStéphanie Bury-Moné
Unité de Pathogénie Bactérienne des Muqueuses, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 76:497-509. 2008..physiology of Helicobacter pylori owing to its capnophilic nature, the large amounts of carbon dioxide produced by urease-mediated urea hydrolysis, and the constant bicarbonate supply in the stomach...
- Requirement of hydD, hydE, hypC and hypE genes for hydrogenase activity in Helicobacter pyloriStephane Benoit
Department of Microbiology, 812 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Microb Pathog 36:153-7. 2004..were all severely affected for hydrogenase activity, and in some cases (hypA and hypB mutants) also affected for urease activity. This finding prompted us to disrupt the two remaining unstudied hyp genes of H...
- Role of urease in megasome formation and Helicobacter pylori survival in macrophagesJustin T Schwartz
Department of Medicine, University of Iowa and the VA Medical Center, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Leukoc Biol 79:1214-25. 2006..Herein, we explored the role of Hp urease in bacterial survival in murine peritoneal macrophages and J774 cells...
- Mice are protected from Helicobacter pylori infection by nasal immunization with attenuated Salmonella typhimurium phoPc expressing urease A and B subunitsI E Corthesy-Theulaz
Department of Internal Medicine CHUV, and Institute of Pathology, Lausanne University, Switzerland
Infect Immun 66:581-6. 1998..The genes encoding the A and B subunits of H. pylori urease were introduced into S...
- In vivo interactome of Helicobacter pylori urease revealed by tandem affinity purificationKerstin Stingl
Unité de Pathogénie Bactérienne des Muqueuses, Institut Pasteur, 75015 Paris, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 7:2429-41. 2008In the human gastric bacterium Helicobacter pylori, two metalloenzymes, hydrogenase and urease, are essential for in vivo colonization, the latter being a major virulence factor...
- Characterization of Helicobacter pylori nickel metabolism accessory proteins needed for maturation of both urease and hydrogenaseNalini Mehta
Department of Microbiology, 527 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Bacteriol 185:726-34. 2003..that two accessory proteins, HypA and HypB, play a role in nickel-dependent maturation of both hydrogenase and urease in Helicobacter pylori. Here, the two proteins were purified and characterized...
- Description of 'Candidatus Helicobacter heilmannii' based on DNA sequence analysis of 16S rRNA and urease genesJani L O'Rourke
School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2052
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 54:2203-11. 2004..gastrospirillum isolates from humans and animals, which incorporates sequence data based on the 16S rRNA and urease genes...
- Interallelic complementation at the ubiquitous urease coding locus of soybeanAriel Goldraij
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Plant Physiol 132:1801-10. 2003Soybean (Glycine max [L.] Merrill) mutant aj6 carries a single recessive lesion, aj6, that eliminates ubiquitous urease activity in leaves and callus while retaining normal embryo-specific urease activity...
- Correlations of oral bacterial arginine and urea catabolism with caries experienceM M Nascimento
Department of Operative Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gaineseville, FL 32610, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 24:89-95. 2009..if the capacity of oral samples to produce ammonia from arginine or urea was related to caries experience, the arginine deiminase system (ADS) and urease activity in saliva and dental plaque samples were measured in 45 adult subjects.
- Transcriptional regulation of the Streptococcus salivarius 57.I urease operonY Y Chen
Center for Oral Biology, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Bacteriol 180:5769-75. 1998..Thus, it was concluded that PureI was the predominant, regulated promoter and that regulation was governed by a mechanism differing markedly from other known mechanisms for bacterial urease expression.
- Surface properties of Helicobacter pylori urease complex are essential for persistenceTobias D Schoep
Ondek Pty Ltd and H pylori Research Laboratory, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e15042. 2010The enzymatic activity of Helicobacter pylori's urease neutralises stomach acidity, thereby promoting infection by this pathogen...
- Prospective evaluation of a new stool antigen test for the detection of Helicobacter pylori, in comparison with histology, rapid urease test, (13)C-urea breath test, and serologyJeongmin Choi
Department of Internal Medicine and Healthcare Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital Healthcare System Gangnam Center, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:1053-9. 2011..This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy of a new polyclonal enzyme immunoassay for the detection of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) antigen in stool by determination of the optimal cut-off value in the screening population...
- The marine cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. WH7805 requires urease (urea amidohydrolase, EC 188.8.131.52) to utilize urea as a nitrogen source: molecular-genetic and biochemical analysis of the enzymeJ L Collier
Marine Biology Research Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0202, USA
Microbiology 145:447-59. 1999..Oligonucleotide primers were used to amplify a conserved fragment of the urease (urea amidohydrolase, EC 184.108.40.206) coding region from cyanobacteria. A 5...
- Crystalline bacterial biofilm formation on urinary catheters by urease-producing urinary tract pathogens: a simple method of controlRobert J Broomfield
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3TL, UK
J Med Microbiol 58:1367-75. 2009The problem of catheter encrustation stems from infection by urease-producing bacteria...
- A H+-gated urea channel: the link between Helicobacter pylori urease and gastric colonizationD L Weeks
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System and Department of Physiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Science 287:482-5. 2000Acidic media trigger cytoplasmic urease activity of the unique human gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori. Deletion of ureI prevents this activation of cytoplasmic urease that is essential for bacterial acid resistance...
- Characterization of NikR-responsive promoters of urease and metal transport genes of Helicobacter mustelaeJeroen Stoof
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Biometals 23:145-59. 2010..in the gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori controls expression of nickel-transporters and the nickel-cofactored urease acid resistance determinant...
- Effect of subinhibitory concentrations of cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) seed essential oil and alcoholic extract on the morphology, capsule expression and urease activity of Klebsiella pneumoniaeSafoura Derakhshan
Department of Bacteriology, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:432-6. 2008..the effect of subminimum inhibitory concentrations (sub-MICs) on cell morphology, capsule expression and urease activity. Growth of K. pneumoniae strains exposed to sub-MICs of C...
- Motility of urease-deficient derivatives of Helicobacter pyloriShumin Tan
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Bacteriol 186:885-8. 2004Early studies of a ureB mutant derivative of Helicobacter pylori had suggested that urease is needed for motility and that urease action helps energize flagellar rotation...
- Clinical significance of oral urease in diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection by [13C]urea breath testN J Peng
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Dig Dis Sci 46:1772-8. 2001..The study shows a significant effect of oral urease on the results of the [13C]urea breath test...
- Urease-encoding genes in ammonia-oxidizing bacteriaTeresa E Koper
Departments of Biology, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322 4820, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2342-8. 2004Many but not all ammonia-oxidizing bacteria (AOB) produce urease (urea amidohydrolase, EC 220.127.116.11) and are capable of using urea for chemolithotrophic growth...
- Helicobacter typhlonius sp. nov., a Novel Murine Urease-Negative Helicobacter SpeciesC L Franklin
Research Animal Diagnostic and Investigative Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Clin Microbiol 39:3920-6. 2001..In this report, we describe a novel urease-negative helicobacter, Helicobacter typhlonius sp. nov...
- 3D-QSAR CoMFA studies on bis-coumarine analogues as urease inhibitors: a strategic design in anti-urease agents- Zaheer-Ul-Haq
Dr Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, International Center for Chemical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Bioorg Med Chem 16:3456-61. 2008..been performed on thirty (30) bis-coumarine derivatives to correlate their chemical structures with their observed urease inhibitory activity...
- Urease activity and urea gene sequencing of coccoid forms of H. pylori induced by different factorsFusun Can
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Curr Microbiol 56:150-5. 2008..b>Urease activity of H. pylori is an important maintenance factor...
- Oral vaccination with liposome-encapsulated recombinant fusion peptide of urease B epitope and cholera toxin B subunit affords prophylactic and therapeutic effects against H. pylori infection in BALB/c miceWenfeng Zhao
School of Life Science and Technology, China Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tongjiaxiang, Nanjing 210009, China
Vaccine 25:7664-73. 2007A new fusion peptide CtUBE of cholera toxin B subunit and Helicobacter pylori urease B subunit epitope was expressed in Escherichia coli. With this fusion peptide, an oral liposome vaccine against H...
- Double mode of inhibition-inducing interactions of 1,4-naphthoquinone with urease: arylation versus oxidation of enzyme thiolsBarbara Krajewska
Faculty of Chemistry, Jagiellonian University, Ingardena 3, 30 060 Krakow, Poland
Bioorg Med Chem 15:4144-51. 2007..In this work, we investigated the interactions of 1,4-naphthoquinone with urease in an effort to estimate the contribution of the two mechanisms in the enzyme inhibition...
- Structures of Cys319 variants and acetohydroxamate-inhibited Klebsiella aerogenes ureaseM A Pearson
Section of Biochemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Biochemistry 36:8164-72. 1997Cys319 is located on a mobile flap covering the active site of Klebsiella aerogenes urease but does not play an essential role in catalysis...
- The effect of sucrose on plaque and saliva urease levels in vivoE Toro
University of Puerto Rico, School of Dental Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Arch Oral Biol 55:249-54. 2010..to this environmental change by increasing the activity or expression of alkali-generating pathways, such as the urease pathway...
- Urease expression in a Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum ethanologen allows high titer ethanol productionA Joe Shaw
Mascoma Corporation, Suite 300, 67 Etna Road, Lebanon, NH, USA
Metab Eng 14:528-32. 2012Genes encoding the enzyme urease were integrated in a Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum ethanologen...
- Requirement of carbon dioxide for in vitro assembly of the urease nickel metallocenterI S Park
Department of Microbiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
Science 267:1156-8. 1995Assembly of protein metallocenters is not well understood. Urease offers a tractable system for examination of this process...
- Iron-containing urease in a pathogenic bacteriumEric L Carter
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13095-9. 2011Helicobacter mustelae, a gastric pathogen of ferrets, synthesizes a distinct iron-dependent urease in addition to its archetypical nickel-containing enzyme...
- Prochlorococcus marinus strain PCC 9511, a picoplanktonic cyanobacterium, synthesizes the smallest ureaseK A Palinska
Unité de Physiologie Microbienne, Département de Biochimie et Génétique moléculaire, Institut Pasteur CNRS, URA 1129, 28 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris, France
Microbiology 146:3099-107. 2000The urease from the picoplanktonic oceanic Prochlorococcus marinus sp. strain PCC 9511 was purified 900-fold to a specific activity of 94.6 micromol urea min(-1) (mg protein)(-1) by heat treatment and liquid chromatography methods...
- Crystal structure of the first plant urease from jack bean: 83 years of journey from its first crystal to molecular structureAnuradha Balasubramanian
Centre of Advanced Study in Crystallography and Biophysics, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600 025, India
J Mol Biol 400:274-83. 2010b>Urease, a nickel-dependent metalloenzyme, is synthesized by plants, some bacteria, and fungi. It catalyzes the hydrolysis of urea into ammonia and carbon dioxide...
- Immunological features and the ability of inhibitory effects on enzymatic activity of an epitope vaccine composed of cholera toxin B subunit and B cell epitope from Helicobacter pylori urease A subunitLe Guo
Biotechnology Center, School of Life Science and Technology, China Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tongjiaxiang, Nanjing, 210009, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 93:1937-45. 2012Epitope vaccine based on urease of Helicobacter pylori is a promising option for prophylactic and therapeutic vaccination against H. pylori infection...
- Identification of a modular pathogenicity island that is widespread among urease-producing uropathogens and shares features with a diverse group of mobile elementsErika L Flannery
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan Medical School, 5641 Medical Science Building II, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Infect Immun 77:4887-94. 2009..mirabilis strains isolated from other body sites (P<0.0001), further suggesting that it contributes to niche specificity and is positively selected for in the urinary tract...
- Urease produced by Coccidioides posadasii contributes to the virulence of this respiratory pathogenFariba Mirbod-Donovan
Department of Biology, Margaret Batts Tobin Building, Room 1 308E, University of Texas at San Antonio, 6900 North Loop 1604 West, San Antonio, TX 78249, USA
Infect Immun 74:504-15. 2006b>Urease activity during in vitro growth in the saprobic and parasitic phases of Coccidioides spp...
- Establishment of systemic Brucella melitensis infection through the digestive tract requires urease, the type IV secretion system, and lipopolysaccharide O antigenTatiane A Paixao
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Infect Immun 77:4197-208. 2009..In this study, a mouse model of oral infection was characterized to assess the roles of urease, the VirB type IV secretion system, and lipopolysaccharide for establishing infection through the digestive tract...
- Characterization of the Helicobacter pylori urease and purification of its subunitsD J Evans
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Microb Pathog 10:15-26. 1991..Helicobacter pylori cells contain a large amount of an extremely active urease (E.C.18.104.22.168)...
- Nanoengineered optical urea biosensor for estimating hemodialysis parameters in spent dialysateM Swati
Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Centre for Research in Nanotechnology and Science, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076, Maharashtra, India
Anal Chim Acta 676:68-74. 2010An optical biosensing scheme based on urease encapsulated calcium alginate microspheres which are coated with polyelectrolyte nanofilms predominantly composed of cresol red (CR) dye is demonstrated in this paper...
- UreG, a chaperone in the urease assembly process, is an intrinsically unstructured GTPase that specifically binds Zn2+Barbara Zambelli
Laboratory of Bioinorganic Chemistry, Department of Agro Environmental Science and Technology, University of Bologna, I 40127 Bologna, Italy
J Biol Chem 280:4684-95. 2005Bacillus pasteurii UreG, a chaperone involved in the urease active site assembly, was overexpressed in Escherichia coli BL21(DE3) and purified to homogeneity...
- Effects of metal on the biochemical properties of Helicobacter pylori HypB, a maturation factor of [NiFe]-hydrogenase and ureaseAndrew M Sydor
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, 80 St George Street, Toronto M5S 3H6, Canada
J Bacteriol 193:1359-68. 2011The biosyntheses of the [NiFe]-hydrogenase and urease enzymes in Helicobacter pylori require several accessory proteins for proper construction of the nickel-containing metallocenters...
- Insecticidal effect of Canavalia ensiformis major urease on nymphs of the milkweed bug Oncopeltus fasciatus and characterization of digestive peptidasesMarina S Defferrari
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9500, CEP 91501 970 Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 41:388-99. 2011..Here we studied the digestive peptidases of Oncopeltus fasciatus (milkweed bug) and its susceptibility to jackbean urease (JBU). O. fasciatus nymphs fed urease showed a mortality rate higher than 80% after two weeks...
- A single gene (Eu4) encodes the tissue-ubiquitous urease of soybeanR S Torisky
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia 65211
Mol Gen Genet 242:404-14. 1994We sought to determine the genetic basis of expression of the ubiquitous (metabolic) urease of soybean...
- Effect of different organic acids (citric, malic and ascorbic) on intragastric urease activityA Agha
Department of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1145-8. 2005The mechanism of citric acid-enhanced Helicobacter pylori urease activity remains unclear.
- Characterization of JBURE-IIb isoform of Canavalia ensiformis (L.) DC ureaseFernanda Mulinari
Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1814:1758-68. 2011..Previously, we cloned a cDNA encoding a Canavalia ensiformis urease isoform named JBURE-II, corresponding to a putative smaller urease protein (78kDa) when compared to other plant ..
- Production of anti-Helicobacter pylori urease-specific immunoglobulin in egg yolk using an antigenic epitope of H. pylori ureaseJi Hyun Shin
Department of Pharmacology and Gastroenterology, Dankook University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
J Med Microbiol 53:31-4. 2004..pylori proteins have previously been reported. In this study, the urease epitope that is recognized by IgY-Hp was identified and used as an immunogen to produce urease-specific IgY (IgY-..
- Induction of a Th17 cell response by Helicobacter pylori Urease subunit BJin Yu Zhang
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medical Laboratory, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, PR China
Immunobiology 216:803-10. 2011..In the present study, we investigated the potential role of Urease subunit B (UreB) in the induction of Th17 cell response. Co-cultured splenic lymphocytes from H...
- Persistence of immobilised and total urease and phosphatase activities in a soil amended with organic wastesJose Antonio Pascual
Department of Soil and Water Conservation and Organic Wastes Management, Centro de Edafologia y Biologia Aplicada del Segura CEBAS CSIC, Murcia, Spain
Bioresour Technol 82:73-8. 2002This paper reports on the persistence of total and immobilised enzyme activities (urease and phosphatase) in a soil amended with organic wastes containing high levels of total-urease and phosphatase activity...
- Urease of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli: evidence for regulation by fur and a trans-acting factorSusan R Heimer
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Infect Immun 70:1027-31. 2002Recent genomic analyses of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strain EDL933 revealed two loci encoding urease gene homologues (ureDABCEFG), which are absent in nonpathogenic E. coli strain K-12...
- Invitro effect of Canavalia ensiformis urease and the derived peptide Jaburetox-2Ec on Rhodnius prolixus Malpighian tubulesFernanda Stanisçuaski
Department of Biophysics, Institute of Biosciences, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, 91501 970, Brazil
J Insect Physiol 55:255-63. 2009Ureases are metalloenzymes that are widespread among plants, fungi and bacteria. Urease isoforms (jack bean urease-JBU and canatoxin) from Canavalia ensiformis seeds are toxic to insects and fungi, suggesting a role in plant defense...
- Stage-specific gut proteinases of the cotton stainer bug Dysdercus peruvianus: role in the release of entomotoxic peptides from Canavalia ensiformis ureaseAngela R Piovesan
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves, 9500, Building 43421, CEP 91501 970 Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:1023-32. 2008Canavalia ensiformis ureases are toxic to insects of different orders. The entomotoxicity of urease is due to a 10 kDa internal peptide released by proteinases in the insect digestive tract...
- Combined effect of heavy metals and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons on urease activity in soilGuoqing Shen
Department of Environment and Resource, College of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 201101, PR China
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 63:474-80. 2006..zinc, lead, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)-phenanthrene, fluoranthene, benzo(a)pyrene toward soil urease activity were studied after 7, 14, 21, and 28 days of exposure under controlled conditions...
- Helicobacter pylori urease activates blood platelets through a lipoxygenase-mediated pathwayGerman E Wassermann
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Cell Mol Med 14:2025-34. 2010..H. pylori produces urease which neutralizes the acidic medium permitting its survival in the stomach...
- Canatoxin, a toxic protein from jack beans (Canavalia ensiformis), is a variant form of urease (EC 22.214.171.124): biological effects of urease independent of its ureolytic activityC Follmer
Department of Biophysics, IB, Universidade Federal Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Gonçalves n degrees 9500, Porto Alegre, RS, CEP 91 501 970, Brazil
Biochem J 360:217-24. 2001..Partial sequencing of internal peptides indicated homology with urease (EC 126.96.36.199) from the same seed. Canatoxin has approx. 30% of urease's activity for urea, and K(m) of 2-7 mM...
- Augmentation of Helicobacter pylori urease activity by its specific IgG antibody: implications for bacterial colonization enhancementTadasu Iizumi
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Biomed Res 26:35-42. 2005..pylori-specific IgG antibodies that would be transplacentally transferred to infants. In addition, H. pylori urease-specific IgG was associated with chronic gastric atrophy and post-immunization gastritis is usually correlated ..
- UreR, the transcriptional activator of the Proteus mirabilis urease gene cluster, is required for urease activity and virulence in experimental urinary tract infectionsJonathan D Dattelbaum
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Infect Immun 71:1026-30. 2003Proteus mirabilis, a cause of complicated urinary tract infection, produces urease, an essential virulence factor for this species...
- Effect of chemical modification of histidines on the copper-induced oligomerization of jack bean urease (EC 188.8.131.52)Cristian Follmer
Graduate Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Center of Biotechnology, Universidade Federal Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, CEP 91 501 970, RS, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 435:15-20. 2005Aggregation of jack bean urease (JBU) is associated with alterations of its biological properties, notably the ureolytic and entomotoxic activities...
- gammadelta T cells increase with gastric mucosal interleukin (IL)-7, IL-1beta, and Helicobacter pylori urease specific immunoglobulin levels via CCR2 upregulation in Helicobacter pylori gastritisSeiji Futagami
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:32-40. 2006..The purpose of this study was to investigate possible factors that could impact on gammadelta T cell accumulation in the gastric mucosa...
- UreC PCR based diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection and detection of cag A gene in gastric biopsiesK K Mishra
Department of Microbiology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science, Lucknow, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 45:31-7. 2002..specimens from 116 dyspeptic patients was compared with other routine invasive diagnostic methods (culture, rapid urease test [RUT] and histology)...
- Implications for induction of autoimmunity via activation of B-1 cells by Helicobacter pylori ureaseShingo Yamanishi
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Infect Immun 74:248-56. 2006..These B-1 cells are mainly located in the pleural cavity or mucosal compartment. The existence of H. pylori urease-specific immunoglobulin A (IgA)-producing B cells in the mucosal compartment and of their specific IgM in the sera ..
- The relationship between dental caries status and dental plaque urease activityM Shu
Department of Restorative Dentistry, College of Dental Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 22:61-6. 2007Ammonia production from the metabolism of urea by urease enzymes of oral bacteria moderates plaque acidification and may inhibit dental caries, as suggested by in vitro studies and indirect clinical observations...
- Soybean cultivars 'Williams 82' and 'Maple Arrow' produce both urea and ammonia during ureide degradationChristopher D Todd
Department of Biochemistry and Interdisciplinary Plant Group, 117 Schweitzer Hall, University ofMissouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
J Exp Bot 55:867-77. 2004..AHA), which has been used to inhibit plant ureases, but not by phenylphosphorodiamidate (PPD), a more specific urease inhibitor. Thus, in both cultivars, allantoate may be metabolized by allantoate amidohydrolase...
- Nickel-binding and accessory proteins facilitating Ni-enzyme maturation in Helicobacter pyloriRobert J Maier
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Biometals 20:655-64. 2007..b>Urease accounts for up to 10% of the total cellular protein made and is required for initial colonization processes, and ..
- Allophanate hydrolase, not urease, functions in bacterial cyanuric acid metabolismGang Cheng
Department of Biochemistry, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4437-45. 2005..In total, the data indicate that s-triazine metabolism in a broad class of bacteria proceeds through allophanate via allophanate hydrolase, rather than through urea using urease.
- Identification of three urease accessory proteins that are required for urease activation in ArabidopsisClaus Peter Witte
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Biochemie der Pflanzen, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Plant Physiol 139:1155-62. 2005b>Urease is a nickel-containing urea hydrolase involved in nitrogen recycling from ureide, purine, and arginine catabolism in plants...
- Diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with bleeding ulcer disease: rapid urease test and histologyM Castro-Fernandez
Services of Digestive Diseases, Valme University Hospital, Seville, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 96:395-8; 398-401. 2004..in patients with bleeding peptic ulcer is limited by a decreased sensitivity in standard invasive tests, rapid urease test and histology. There is controversy about the convenience of using one, neither, or both diagnostic tests.
- Catalyzed decomposition of urea. Molecular dynamics simulations of the binding of urea to ureaseGuillermina Estiu
Department of Chemistry, The Pennsylvania State University, 104 Chemistry Building, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Biochemistry 45:4429-43. 2006We present the results of molecular dynamics simulations on the urea/urease system. The starting structure was prepared from the 2.0 A crystal structure of Benini et al. [(1999) Struct. Folding Des...
- Cloning, sequencing and molecular characterisation of a cryptic plasmid from a urease-positive thermophilic Campylobacter (UPTC) isolateT Ito
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, School of Environmental Health Sciences, Azabu University, Sagamihara, Japan
Br J Biomed Sci 64:70-3. 2007Cloning, sequencing and molecular characterisation of a cryptic plasmid, pUPTC237, from a urease-positive thermophilic Campylobacter (UPTC) isolate obtained from the natural environment in Northern Ireland is reported in this study...
- The soybean Eu3 gene encodes an Ni-binding protein necessary for urease activityS K Freyermuth
Department of Biochemistry and Interdisciplinary Plant Group, 117 Schweitzer Hall, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Plant J 21:53-60. 2000..eu3-e1 is a completely recessive null allele. Eu3-e3 is a semi-dominant specifying 0.1% wild-type urease activity in the homozygous state and 5-10% as a heterozygote (Meyer-Bothling et al. 1987)...
- ROLE OF CALCINEURIN IN CRYPTOCOCCUS NEOFORMANS VIRULENCEJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2002..basis of traits associated with virulence: including growth at elevated temperature, capsule, melalin, and urease production, and mating type. This group recently identified a molecular factor regulating C...
- UREASE AND GENE EXPRESSION IN CAMPYLOBACTER PYLORIHARRY MOBLEY; Fiscal Year: 1991..characteristic of the human stomach but can protect itself by generating ammonia and carbon dioxide from urease-catalyzed urea hydrolysis...
- UREASE AND GENE EXPRESSION OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIHARRY MOBLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..highly restricted to the gastric mucosa of humans, has adopted a strategy of survival that includes synthesis of urease as its most abundant cellular protein...
- Virulence Factor Trafficking in CryptococcusPeter Williamson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Each of the mutants identified in Specific Aims 2 and 3 will then be assessed for production of other virulence-related factors such as capsule, urease, phospholipase and virulence in a mouse model.
- Structure-Function Studies of the Proton-Gated Urea Channel from H. PyloriHartmut Luecke; Fiscal Year: 2009..UreI is a proton-gated urea channel necessary for rapid access of urea to intrabacterial urease, essential for maintaining the periplasm at pH 6.1 in the acidic environment of the stomach, as low as pH 2...
- Structure-Function Studies of the Proton-Gated Urea Channel from H. PyloriHartmut Luecke; Fiscal Year: 2010..UreI is a proton-gated urea channel necessary for rapid access of urea to intrabacterial urease, essential for maintaining the periplasm at pH 6.1 in the acidic environment of the stomach, as low as pH 2...
- Structure-Function Studies of the Proton-Gated Urea Channel from H. PyloriHartmut Luecke; Fiscal Year: 2009..UreI is a proton-gated urea channel necessary for rapid access of urea to intrabacterial urease, essential for maintaining the periplasm at pH 6.1 in the acidic environment of the stomach, as low as pH 2...
- Regulation of Host Nitrogen Balance by the Gut MicrobiomeGary D Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Urea, produced by the host, is hydrolyzed in the colon by urease-producing gut bacteria and the resultant ammonia is absorbed by the host and utilized for protein metabolism...
- H.pylori arginase modulation of ulcers and cancerDavid McGee; Fiscal Year: 2007..H. pylori exerts an enormous amount of cellular energy on nitrogen metabolism including the urease enzyme. Therefore, the critical role of urease in virulence has been a major research focus. However, H...
- Helicobacter pylori: Tactic Responses and Persistence in the Gastric MucosaPaul Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2007..key histidine or other amino acids is required for signal transduction; (Aim III) We propose to determine how the urease system (pH stasis) and global response regulators ArsRS and HP1043 (acid stress) interface with rapid acid pH ..
- Helicobacter pylori: Tactic Responses and Persistence in the Gastric MucosaPaul Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2009..key histidine or other amino acids is required for signal transduction; (Aim III) We propose to determine how the urease system (pH stasis) and global response regulators ArsRS and HP1043 (acid stress) interface with rapid acid pH ..
- Helicobacter pylori: Tactic Responses and Persistence in the Gastric MucosaPAUL STOKES HOFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..key histidine or other amino acids is required for signal transduction;(Aim III) We propose to determine how the urease system (pH stasis) and global response regulators ArsRS and HP1043 (acid stress) interface with rapid acid pH ..
- Molecular Biology of Oral Alkali ProductionROBERT BURNE; Fiscal Year: 2005..and disease of bacterial ureases focusing primarily i) on the pH- and carbohydrate-dependent expression of the urease of Streptococcus salivarius, but also ii) on the utility of recombinant, urease-producing bacteria in inhibition ..
- Urea-dependent virulence in uropathogenic bacteriaCARLEEN COLLINS; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION(provided by applicant: Urease, which catalyzes the hydrolysis of urea to ammonia and carbonic acid is produced by diverse bacterial species including various aerobes, facultative anaerobes and obligate anaerohes Both Gram-..
- UREASE AND GENE EXPRESSION OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIHARRY MOBLEY; Fiscal Year: 2003..highly restricted to the gastric mucosa of humans, has adopted a strategy of survival that includes synthesis of urease as its most abundant cellular protein...
- X-RAY ABSORPTION SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOENZYMESRobert Scott; Fiscal Year: 1993..Examples of all known types of nickel-containing enzymes, including jackbean urease, Klebsiella aerogenes urease, Desulfovibrio gigas (NiFe) hydrogenase, D...