Genomes and Genes
malonyl coenzyme a
Summary: A coenzyme A derivative which plays a key role in the fatty acid synthesis in the cytoplasmic and microsomal systems.
Publications160 found, 100 shown here
- AMP-activated protein kinase and coordination of hepatic fatty acid metabolism of starved/carbohydrate-refed ratsMurwarid M Assifi
Diabetes and Metabolism Unit, Boston Univ Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E794-800. 2005..They also suggest that the changes in these enzymes, and later occurring increases in enzymes regulating fatty acid and glycerolipid synthesis, could be coordinated by AMPK...
- Isozyme-nonselective N-substituted bipiperidylcarboxamide acetyl-CoA carboxylase inhibitors reduce tissue malonyl-CoA concentrations, inhibit fatty acid synthesis, and increase fatty acid oxidation in cultured cells and in experimental animalsH James Harwood
Department of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton Laboratories, Pfizer Inc, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
J Biol Chem 278:37099-111. 2003..Taken together, These observations indicate that isozyme-nonselective ACC inhibition has the potential to favorably affect risk factors associated with the metabolic syndrome...
- Increased malonyl coenzyme A biosynthesis by tuning the Escherichia coli metabolic network and its application to flavanone productionZachary L Fowler
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, 303 Clifford C Furnas Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:5831-9. 2009..network to predict improved Escherichia coli genotypes that more effectively channel carbon flux toward malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) and other cofactors in an effort to generate recombinant strains with enhanced flavonoid production ..
- Minireview: malonyl CoA, AMP-activated protein kinase, and adiposityNeil B Ruderman
D Phil, Diabetes Unit, Boston Medical Center, 650 Albany Street, X825, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Endocrinology 144:5166-71. 2003An increasing body of evidence has linked AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) to the regulation of energy balance...
- Metabolic syndrome: adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase and malonyl coenzyme ANeil B Ruderman
Division of Endocrinology, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:25S-33S. 2006..lipid abnormalities could be a dysregulation of the adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK)/malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) fuel-sensing and signaling mechanism...
- Continuous fatty acid oxidation and reduced fat storage in mice lacking acetyl-CoA carboxylase 2L Abu-Elheiga
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Science 291:2613-6. 2001..The mutant mice accumulated 50% less fat in their adipose tissue than did wild-type mice. These results raise the possibility that pharmacological manipulation of ACC2 may lead to loss of body fat in the context of normal caloric intake...
- Regulation of malonyl-CoA concentration and turnover in the normal heartAneta E Reszko
Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 279:34298-301. 2004..Our data show that, in the absence of enzyme inhibitors, the rate of acetyl-CoA carboxylation is the main determinant of the malonyl-CoA concentration in the heart...
- Malonyl coenzyme A and the regulation of functional carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1 activity and fat oxidation in human skeletal muscleBlake B Rasmussen
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
J Clin Invest 110:1687-93. 2002..acids (LCFAs) into the mitochondria via carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1 (CPT-1) is inhibited by increased malonyl coenzyme A (malonyl-CoA) (a known potent inhibitor of CPT-1) in human muscle during hyperglycemia with hyperinsulinemia...
- Role of the electrophilic lipid peroxidation product 4-hydroxynonenal in the development and maintenance of obesity in miceSharda P Singh
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Biochemistry 47:3900-11. 2008..A., et al. (2007) Mol. Cell. Proteomics 6, 624-637]. The two reciprocal processes are likely to establish a positive feedback loop that would promote and perpetuate the obese state...
- Tamoxifen-induced anorexia is associated with fatty acid synthase inhibition in the ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus and accumulation of malonyl-CoAMiguel Lopez
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QR, U K
Diabetes 55:1327-36. 2006..The finding that TMX can modulate appetite through alterations in FAS expression and malonyl-CoA levels suggests a link between hypothalamic sex steroid receptors, fatty acid metabolism, and feeding behavior...
- Malonyl coenzyme a decarboxylase inhibition protects the ischemic heart by inhibiting fatty acid oxidation and stimulating glucose oxidationJason R B Dyck
Cardiovascular Research Group, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, 474 Heritage Medical Research Centre, The University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2S2 Canada
Circ Res 94:e78-84. 2004..b>Malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) regulates fatty acid oxidation by inhibiting mitochondrial uptake of fatty acids...
- Malonyl-CoA, a key signaling molecule in mammalian cellsDavid Saggerson
Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, Darwin Building, University College London, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT, Great Britain
Annu Rev Nutr 28:253-72. 2008....
- Insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes: association with truncal obesity, impaired fitness, and atypical malonyl coenzyme A regulationPeter N Bavenholm
Division of Medicine, Departments of Emergency and Cardiovascular Medicine, Karolinska Hospital and Institute, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:82-7. 2003..Likewise, sustained increases in the concentration of malonyl coenzyme A (CoA), an inhibitor of fatty-acid oxidation, have been observed in muscle in association with insulin ..
- Synthesis and structure-activity relationship of small-molecule malonyl coenzyme A decarboxylase inhibitorsJie Fei Cheng
Department of Chemistry, Chugai Pharma USA, LLC, 6225 Nancy Ridge Drive, San Diego, California 92121, USA
J Med Chem 49:1517-25. 2006....
- The brain-specific carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1c regulates energy homeostasisMichael J Wolfgang
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:7282-7. 2006..CPT1c KO mice also exhibit decreased rates of fatty acid oxidation, which may contribute to their increased susceptibility to diet-induced obesity. These findings indicate that CPT1c is necessary for the regulation of energy homeostasis...
- Cell signaling. A new way to burn fatJaap G Neels
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0673, USA
Science 312:1756-8. 2006
- AMPK expression and phosphorylation are increased in rodent muscle after chronic leptin treatmentGregory R Steinberg
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E648-54. 2003..However, taken as a whole, our data support recent evidence in rodent muscle that leptin stimulates FA oxidation through stimulation of AMPK and a subsequent downregulation of ACC activity...
- Pulling in more fatDavid E Kelley
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Montefiore Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Cell Metab 2:275-6. 2005..In obesity, skeletal muscle accumulates triglyceride. Recent work from Hulver and colleagues (2005) in the October issue of Cell Metabolism implicates stearoyl-CoA desaturase as part of the underlying molecular mechanism...
- Enzymes involved in fatty acid and polyketide biosynthesis in Streptomyces glaucescens: role of FabH and FabD and their acyl carrier protein specificityGalina Florova
Department for Medicinal Chemistry and Institute for Structural Biology and Drug Discovery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23219, USA
Biochemistry 41:10462-71. 2002..In contrast, the ACP specificity of FabH, isotope labeling studies, and a demonstrated alternative mechanism for initiation of the PKS process provide unequivocal evidence that FabH is involved only in the FAS process...
- Expression of genes regulating malonyl-CoA in human skeletal muscleCelia Pender
Department of Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143-1616, USA
J Cell Biochem 99:860-7. 2006..No other genes showed signs of increased mRNA content with obesity, suggesting that there may be selective transcriptional regulation of malonyl-CoA metabolism in human obesity...
- Mitochondrial long chain fatty acid oxidation, fatty acid translocase/CD36 content and carnitine palmitoyltransferase I activity in human skeletal muscle during aerobic exerciseGraham P Holloway
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada
J Physiol 571:201-10. 2006..We further suggest that decreased CPTI M-CoA sensitivity and increased mitochondrial FAT/CD36 protein are both important for increasing whole body fatty acid oxidation during prolonged exercise...
- Inhibition of hypothalamic fatty acid synthase triggers rapid activation of fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscleSeung Hun Cha
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:14557-62. 2005..These findings clarify the mechanism by which the hypothalamic malonyl-CoA signal is communicated to metabolic systems in skeletal muscle that regulate fatty acid oxidation and energy expenditure...
- Prevention of hepatic steatosis and hepatic insulin resistance in mitochondrial acyl-CoA:glycerol-sn-3-phosphate acyltransferase 1 knockout miceSusanne Neschen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CN 06520, USA
Cell Metab 2:55-65. 2005..These data suggest that mtGPAT1 might serve as a novel target for treatment of hepatic steatosis and hepatic insulin resistance and that long chain acyl-CoA's do not mediate fat-induced hepatic insulin resistance in this model...
- Substrate cycling between de novo lipogenesis and lipid oxidation: a thermogenic mechanism against skeletal muscle lipotoxicity and glucolipotoxicityA G Dulloo
Department of Medicine, Division of Physiology, University of Fribourg, Switzerland
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:S29-37. 2004....
- AMPK activation is not critical in the regulation of muscle FA uptake and oxidation during low-intensity muscle contractionMarcella A Raney
Dept. of Kinesiology and Biological Sciences, Diabetes Research Center, Univ. of Southern California, 3560 Watt Way, PED 107, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0652, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E592-8. 2005..These results suggest that while AMPK-dependent mechanisms may regulate FA uptake and FA oxidation at rest, AMPK-independent mechanisms predominate during low-intensity muscle contraction...
- Inhibition of fatty acid synthase-dependent neoplastic lipogenesis as the mechanism of gamma-linolenic acid-induced toxicity to tumor cells: an extension to Nwankwo's hypothesisJavier A Menendez
Department of Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, 1001 Unviersity Place, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Med Hypotheses 64:337-41. 2005....
- Differential carnitine/acylcarnitine translocase expression defines distinct metabolic signatures in skeletal muscle cellsGianfranco Peluso
National Cancer Institute INT Fondazione G Pascale, Via Mariano Semmola, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Cell Physiol 203:439-46. 2005....
- Subsarcolemmal and intermyofibrillar mitochondria play distinct roles in regulating skeletal muscle fatty acid metabolismTimothy R Koves
Department of Physiology, Brody School of Medicine, College of Health and Human Performance, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C1074-82. 2005..These results demonstrate that endurance exercise provokes subpopulation-specific changes in mitochondrial function that are characterized by enhanced fatty acid oxidation and modified CPT1beta-malonyl-CoA dynamics...
- Cardiomyocyte-restricted peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-delta deletion perturbs myocardial fatty acid oxidation and leads to cardiomyopathyLihong Cheng
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30310, USA
Nat Med 10:1245-50. 2004..We suggest that PPAR-delta is a potential therapeutic target in treating lipotoxic cardiomyopathy and other heart diseases...
- Malonyl-CoA and carnitine in regulation of fat oxidation in human skeletal muscle during exerciseCarsten Roepstorff
The Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Department of Human Physiology, Institute of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E133-42. 2005..They also suggest that, with high muscle glycogen, the availability of free carnitine may limit fat oxidation during exercise, due to its increased use for acetylcarnitine formation...
- In vitro modeling of fatty acid synthesis under conditions simulating the zonation of lipogenic [13C]acetyl-CoA enrichment in the liverIlya R Bederman
Department of Nutrition and Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 279:43217-26. 2004..ISA uses all mass isotopomers, correctly identified imposed gradients of precursor enrichment, and estimated the expected values of fractional synthesis within the constraints of the data...
- Increased Akt protein expression is associated with decreased ceramide content in skeletal muscle of troglitazone-treated miceAnna Planavila
Pharmacology Unit, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutic Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Spain
Biochem Pharmacol 69:1195-204. 2005..These findings implicate ceramide as an important intermediate in the regulation of Akt after troglitazone treatment...
- Regulation of cardiac malonyl-CoA content and fatty acid oxidation during increased cardiac powerKristen L King
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106-4970, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289:H1033-7. 2005....
- tBid induces alterations of mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation flux by malonyl-CoA-independent inhibition of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1A Giordano
Institute of Protein Biochemistry IBP, CNR, Naples, Italy
Cell Death Differ 12:603-13. 2005....
- Hepatic steatosis is not due to impaired fatty acid oxidation capacities in C57BL/6J mice fed the conjugated trans-10,cis-12-isomer of linoleic acidP Degrace
UPRES Lipides et Nutrition EA2422, , , 21000 Dijon, France
J Nutr 134:861-7. 2004..These data indicate that FA oxidation capacities were increased in mice fed CLA2, but were likely depressed in vivo through malonyl-CoA inhibition...
- The role of the carnitine system in human metabolismDaniel W Foster
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9030, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1033:1-16. 2004..Activation of fatty acid oxidation has considerable clinical promise for the treatment of obesity, type 2 diabetes, steatohepatitis, and lipotoxic damage to the heart...
- Increased malonyl-CoA levels in muscle from obese and type 2 diabetic subjects lead to decreased fatty acid oxidation and increased lipogenesis; thiazolidinedione treatment reverses these defectsGautam K Bandyopadhyay
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Diabetes 55:2277-85. 2006....
- gAd-globular head domain of adiponectin increases fatty acid oxidation in newborn rabbit heartsArzu Onay-Besikci
Cardiovascular Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:44320-6. 2004..These results suggest that a decrease in plasma insulin and increase in gAd are involved in the increase of cardiac fatty acid oxidation in the immediate newborn period...
- Malonyl CoA control of fatty acid oxidation in the newborn heart in response to increased fatty acid supplyArzu Onay-Besikci
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ankara University, Turkey
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:1215-22. 2006..Our results suggest that the regulatory role of malonyl CoA remained when the hearts were exposed to high levels of fatty acids...
- Hypothalamic fatty acid metabolism: a housekeeping pathway that regulates food intakeMiguel Lopez
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Bioessays 29:248-61. 2007..Understanding these molecular mechanisms could provide new targets for the treatment of obesity and related disorders...
- Malonyl CoA control of fatty acid oxidation in the ischemic heartJason R B Dyck
Cardiovascular Research Group, Departments of Pediatrics and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Mol Cell Cardiol 34:1099-109. 2002..This paper will discuss some of the molecular changes that occur in fatty acid oxidation in the ischemic heart and will include a discussion of the important role of malonyl CoA in this process...
- LKB1 and the regulation of malonyl-CoA and fatty acid oxidation in muscleD M Thomson
Dept of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Brigham Young Univ, Provo, UT 84602, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E1572-9. 2007..Regardless, our results suggest that LKB1 is an important regulator of malonyl-CoA levels and fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscle...
- Regulation of hypothalamic malonyl-CoA by central glucose and leptinMichael J Wolfgang
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19285-90. 2007..These studies show that hypothalamic malonyl-CoA responds to the level of circulating glucose and leptin, both of which affect energy homeostasis...
- Metabolic response to an acute jump in cardiac workload: effects on malonyl-CoA, mechanical efficiency, and fatty acid oxidationLufang Zhou
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H954-60. 2008....
- Metoprolol improves cardiac function and modulates cardiac metabolism in the streptozotocin-diabetic ratVijay Sharma
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Univ of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H1609-20. 2008..The metabolism changes occur in parallel with changes in gene expression...
- AMPK and ACC phosphorylation: effect of leptin, muscle fibre type and obesityA Janovska
Discipline of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 284:1-10. 2008..AMPK activation by leptin occurred independently of energy-related metabolites. These data demonstrate that the leptin effect on AMPKalpha and ACCbeta is muscle fibre type dependent and fails in diet-induced obesity...
- Overexpression of a modified human malonyl-CoA decarboxylase blocks the glucose-induced increase in malonyl-CoA level but has no impact on insulin secretion in INS-1-derived (832/13) beta-cellsH Mulder
Touchstone Center for Diabetes Research and Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 276:6479-84. 2001..These findings extend our previous observations and are not consistent with the LC-CoA hypothesis as originally set forth...
- Hypothalamic malonyl-coenzyme A and the control of energy balanceMichael J Wolfgang
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 512 WBSB, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:2012-20. 2008....
- Hypothalamic fatty acid metabolism mediates the orexigenic action of ghrelinMiguel Lopez
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Santiago de Compostela, S Francisco s n, 15782 Santiago de Compostela A Coruña, Spain
Cell Metab 7:389-99. 2008..Overall, our results indicate that modulation of hypothalamic fatty acid metabolism specifically in the VMH in response to ghrelin is a physiological mechanism that controls feeding...
- Acute regulation of fatty acid oxidation and amp-activated protein kinase in human umbilical vein endothelial cellsZ Dagher
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Circ Res 88:1276-82. 2001..in palmitate oxidation during a 2-hour incubation are associated with a decrease in the concentration of malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) (an inhibitor of carnitine palmitoyl transferase 1), which temporally parallels the increase in AMPK ..
- Fatty acid synthase inhibition in human breast cancer cells leads to malonyl-CoA-induced inhibition of fatty acid oxidation and cytotoxicityJ N Thupari
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285:217-23. 2001..This study identifies CPT-1 and ACC as two new potential targets for cancer chemotherapy...
- Insulin fails to alter plasma LCFA metabolism in muscle perfused at similar glucose uptakeAlice J Yee
Department of Kinesiology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E73-7. 2002....
- C75 increases peripheral energy utilization and fatty acid oxidation in diet-induced obesityJagan N Thupari
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:9498-502. 2002..The dual action of the C75 class of compounds as fatty acid synthase inhibitors and CPT-1 agonists has therapeutic implications in the treatment of obesity and type II diabetes...
- Leptin activates cardiac fatty acid oxidation independent of changes in the AMP-activated protein kinase-acetyl-CoA carboxylase-malonyl-CoA axisLaura L Atkinson
Cardiovascular Research Group, Muttart Diabetes Research and Training Center, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:29424-30. 2002..These data demonstrate for the first time that leptin activates fatty acid oxidation and decreases TG content in the heart. We also show that the effects of leptin in the heart are independent of changes in the AMPK-ACC-malonyl-CoA axis...
- Competition between acetate and oleate for the formation of malonyl-CoA and mitochondrial acetyl-CoA in the perfused rat heartFang Bian
Department of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, 2109 Adelbert Road, Room BRB923, Cleveland, OH 44106-4906, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 41:868-75. 2006..The inhibition by acetate or propionate of acetyl-CoA production from oleate probably results from a competition for mitochondrial CoA between the CoA-utilizing enzymes...
- Evidence of a malonyl-CoA-insensitive carnitine palmitoyltransferase I activity in red skeletal muscleJong Yeon Kim
Department of Biochemistry, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E1014-22. 2002..These results provide evidence of a malonyl-CoA-insensitive CPT I activity in red muscle, suggesting fiber type-specific expression of distinct CPT I isoforms and/or posttranslational modulations that have yet to be elucidated...
- Role of malonyl-CoA in heart disease and the hypothalamic control of obesityClifford D L Folmes
Cardiovascular Research Group, Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cardiovasc Res 73:278-87. 2007..Targeting enzymes that control malonyl-CoA levels may be an important therapeutic approach to treating heart disease and obesity...
- Aging results in paradoxical susceptibility of fat cell progenitors to lipotoxicityWen Guo
Evans Department of Medicine, Obesity Research Center, Boston University Medical Center, 88 E Newton St, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1041-51. 2007..Thus preadipocyte fatty acid handling changes with aging, with increased susceptibly to lipotoxicity and impaired fatty acid-induced adipogenesis and beta-oxidation...
- Regulation of myocardial fatty acid oxidation by substrate supplyS L Longnus
McDonald Research Laboratories/iCAPTURE Centre, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia and St. Paul's Hospital/Providence Health Care, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H1561-7. 2001..More extreme variations in substrate supply lead to changes in fatty acid oxidation by the additional involvement of intracellular regulatory pathways...
- An increase in peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation is not sufficient to prevent tissue lipid accumulation in hHTg ratsJ Ukropec
Diabetes and Nutrition Research Laboratory, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Ann N Y Acad Sci 967:71-9. 2002....
- Alteration of hepatic fatty acid metabolism after burn injury in pigsW Z Martini
Shriners Burns Hospital and the Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77550, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 25:310-6. 2001..05). CONCLUSIONS: The accumulation of hepatic TG in burned animals is due to inhibition of VLDL-TG secretion and to increased synthesis of hepatic TG. Fatty acids are not channeled to TG because of impaired oxidation...
- cDNA cloning, heterologous expressions, and functional characterization of malonyl-coenzyme a:anthocyanidin 3-o-glucoside-6"-o-malonyltransferase from dahlia flowersHirokazu Suzuki
Department of Biomolecular Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Aoba yama 07, Sendai 980 8579, Japan
Plant Physiol 130:2142-51. 2002..Moreover, 6"-O-malonylation of cyanidin 3-O-glucoside effectively prevented the anthocyanin from attack of beta-glucosidase. These results suggest that malonylation should serve as a strategy for pigment stabilization in the flowers...
- Malonyl-coenzyme A:acyl carrier protein acyltransferase of Streptomyces glaucescens: a possible link between fatty acid and polyketide biosynthesisR G Summers
Department of Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Biochemistry 34:9389-402. 1995..This implies the existence of a functional connection between fatty acid and polyketide metabolism in this bacterium...
- Biochemical characterization of the minimal polyketide synthase domains in the lovastatin nonaketide synthase LovBSuzanne M Ma
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of California Los Angeles, 420 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
FEBS J 274:2854-64. 2007..The KS domain displayed no activity towards acetyl groups, but was able to recognize malonyl groups in the absence of cerulenin. The relevance of these finding to the priming mechanism of fungal polyketide synthase is discussed...
- Relationships between fatty acid and polyketide synthases from Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2): characterization of the fatty acid synthase acyl carrier proteinW P Revill
John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 178:5660-7. 1996..coelicolor FAS, malonyl coenzyme A:ACP acyl-transferase. Expression of S...
- An orphan histidine kinase, OhkA, regulates both secondary metabolism and morphological differentiation in Streptomyces coelicolorYinhua Lu
Key Laboratory of Synthetic Biology, Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
J Bacteriol 193:3020-32. 2011..the increased production of ACT and RED in the mutant could be partly ascribed to the enhanced precursor malonyl coenzyme A (malonyl-CoA) supply through increased transcription of genes encoding acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACCase)...
- Characterization of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa fatty acid biosynthetic gene cluster: purification of acyl carrier protein (ACP) and malonyl-coenzyme A:ACP transacylase (FabD)A J Kutchma
Department of Microbiology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Bacteriol 181:5498-504. 1999..In an in vitro system, purified ACP functioned as acyl acceptor and H(6)-FabD exhibited malonyl-CoA:ACP transacylase activity...
- High-resolution structure of ybfF from Escherichia coli K12: a unique substrate-binding crevice generated by domain arrangementSuk Youl Park
Department of Chemistry and Institute of Basic Sciences, Chonnam National University, 300 Yongbong Dong, Buk Gu, Gwangju 500 757, Korea
J Mol Biol 376:1426-37. 2008..Escherichia coli (Ec_ybfF) belongs to the esterase family for the large substrates, palmitoyl coenzyme A and malonyl coenzyme A, which are important cellular intermediates for energy conversion and biomolecular synthesis...
- Role for malonyl coenzyme A:acyl carrier protein transacylase (MCAT) in the growth-inhibitory effect of the calmodulin antagonist trifluoperazine in Mycobacterium bovis BCGIndrajit Sinha
Mycobacterium Biology Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 30 Medical Drive, Singapore 117609, Republic of Singapore
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:1072-5. 2004To determine whether the fatty acid synthesis enzyme malonyl coenzyme A:acyl carrier protein transacylase (MCAT) is involved in the growth-inhibitory effect of trifluoperazine in the tubercle bacillus Mycobacterium bovis BCG.
- Reconstitution of the FK228 biosynthetic pathway reveals cross talk between modular polyketide synthases and fatty acid synthaseShane R Wesener
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, P O Box 413, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:1501-7. 2011..pathway in Escherichia coli cells, two essential genes, fabD1 and fabD2, both encoding a putative malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) acyltransferase component of the fatty acid synthase complex, are positively identified to be involved ..
- Domain analysis of fatty acid synthase protein (NP_217040) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv--a bioinformatics studyK V Ramesh
Center for Postgraduate Studies, Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College, 18 3, 9th Main, Jayanagar 3rd Block, Bangalore 560 011, India
J Biomol Struct Dyn 24:393-412. 2007..Accuracy of the prediction of 3D structure of different domains of FAS protein was further validated by Ramachandran plot and PROCHECK (G-value)...
- Fatty acid synthase hyperactivation in human colorectal cancer: relationship with tumor side and sexMaria Notarnicola
Laboratory of Biochemistry, National Institute for Digestive Diseases S de Bellis, Castellana Grotte, Italy
Oncology 71:327-32. 2006Fatty acid synthase (FAS) is a multienzyme protein required for the conversion of acetyl coenzyme A and malonyl coenzyme A to palpitate...
- Structure and malonyl CoA-ACP transacylase binding of streptomyces coelicolor fatty acid synthase acyl carrier proteinChristopher J Arthur
School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Cantock s Close, Bristol BS8 1TS, UK
ACS Chem Biol 4:625-36. 2009Malonylation of an acyl carrier protein (ACP) by malonyl Coenzyme A-ACP transacylase (MCAT) is fundamental to bacterial fatty acid biosynthesis...
- Malonic semialdehyde reductase, succinic semialdehyde reductase, and succinyl-coenzyme A reductase from Metallosphaera sedula: enzymes of the autotrophic 3-hydroxypropionate/4-hydroxybutyrate cycle in SulfolobalesDaniel Kockelkorn
Mikrobiologie, Fakultat Biologie, Schänzlestr 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:6352-62. 2009..Only distantly related genes were found in the genomes of autotrophic marine Crenarchaeota that may use a similar cycle in autotrophic carbon fixation...
- Synthesis of a putative substrate for malonyl-coenzyme A: 21-hydroxypregnane 21-O-malonyltransferase and development of an HPLC method for the quantification of the enzyme reactionSerge Philibert Kuate
Department of Biology, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Staudtstr 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 860:195-201. 2007..The method was validated...
- Malonyl CoenzymeA decarboxylase regulates lipid and glucose metabolism in human skeletal muscleKarim Bouzakri
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 57:1508-16. 2008b>Malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) decarboxylase (MCD) is a key enzyme responsible for malonyl-CoA turnover and functions in the control of the balance between lipid and glucose metabolism...
- Glycogen storage disease type 1: impact of medium-chain triglycerides on metabolic control and growthAnibh M Das
Department of Paediatric Kidney, Liver and Metabolic Diseases, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany das anibh mh hannover de
Ann Nutr Metab 56:225-32. 2010..Increased malonyl coenzyme A production which compromises oxidation of long-chain fatty acids via carnitine palmitoyltransferase (CPT) 1 ..
- The adrenergic-fatty acid load in heart failureLionel H Opie
Hatter Cardiovascular Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, South Africa
J Am Coll Cardiol 54:1637-46. 2009..Other future therapies may include malonyl-coenzyme A regulators to inhibit fatty acid oxidation, fish oil omega-3, and activators of protein kinase C-epsilon...
- System analysis of an Arabidopsis mutant altered in de novo fatty acid synthesis reveals diverse changes in seed composition and metabolismMingjie Chen
Interdisciplinary Plant Group and Division of Biochemistry, Christopher S Bond Life Sciences Center, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Plant Physiol 150:27-41. 2009..Induction of storage proteins reveals that oil and protein synthesis share carbon intermediate(s) and that reducing malonyl-coenzyme A flow into fatty acids diverts carbon into amino acid and protein synthesis...
- Carbon flux and fatty acid synthesis in plantsStephen Rawsthorne
Department of Metabolic Biology, John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney, NR4 7UH, Norwich, UK
Prog Lipid Res 41:182-96. 2002..Examples of such aspects and future opportunities for our understanding of plant fatty acid synthesis are presented and discussed...
- [Effects of Qushi Huayu Decoction in prevention and treatment of fatty liver in rats based on adiponectin-free fatty acid pathway]Hong Shan Li
Institute of Liver Diseases of Shuguang Hospital, Key Laboratory for Liver Kidney Disease Pattern of Ministry of Education, E Institute of Shanghai Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 7:546-51. 2009..To explore the effects of Qushi Huayu Decoction (QSHYD), a compound traditional Chinese herbal medicine, in prevention and treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in rats...
- Vitamin B12: unique metalorganic compounds and the most complex vitaminsLucio Randaccio
Centre of Excellence in Biocrystallography, Department of Chemical Sciences, University of Trieste, Via L Giorgieri 1, 34127 Trieste, Italy
Molecules 15:3228-59. 2010..Specifically, functionalized bioconjugates are used as "Trojan horses" to carry into the cell the appropriate antitumour or diagnostic label. Possible future developments of B(12) work are summarized...
- Apparent growth phase-dependent phosphorylation of malonyl coenzyme A:acyl carrier protein transacylase (MCAT), a major fatty acid synthase II component in Mycobacterium bovis BCGIndrajit Sinha
Mycobacterium Biology Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 30 Medical Drive, Singapore 117609
FEMS Microbiol Lett 227:141-7. 2003..protein was purified via two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and identified via mass spectrometry to be malonyl coenzyme A:acyl carrier protein transacylase (MCAT), a component of the fatty acid biosynthetic pathway...
- Identification of active-site residues in Bradyrhizobium japonicum malonyl-coenzyme A synthetaseH M Koo
Department of Biochemistry, College of Science, Bioproducts Research Center, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Arch Biochem Biophys 378:167-74. 2000..The kinetic data measured for the mutants suggest that Lys175 and His211 participate in the formation of malonyl-AMP, whereas Glu308 may play a role in malonate binding...
- Purification and characterization of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis FabD2, a novel malonyl-CoA:AcpM transacylase of fatty acid synthaseYi Shu Huang
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Science, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Protein Expr Purif 45:393-9. 2006b>Malonyl coenzyme A (CoA)-acyl carrier protein (ACP) transacylase (MCAT) is an essential enzyme in fatty acid and mycolic acid biosynthesis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. fabd2 is a novel gene coding MCAT in M...
- Intracerebroventricular leptin administration differentially alters cardiac energy metabolism in mice fed a low-fat and high-fat dietWendy Keung
Cardiovascular Research Centre, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 57:103-13. 2011..In high-fat-fed mice, leptin increased cardiac malonyl coenzyme A levels, secondary to a decrease in malonyl coenzyme A decarboxylase expression...
- Role of hypothalamic AMP-kinase in food intake regulationYasuhiko Minokoshi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Aichi, Japan
Nutrition 24:786-90. 2008..Thus, these results suggest that food intake and nutrient metabolism are coordinately regulated by the common signaling pathway of AMPK in the hypothalamus...
- An acyl-coenzyme A carboxylase encoding gene associated with jadomycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces venezuelae ISP5230L Han
Department of Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Microbiology 146:903-10. 2000..It is concluded that jadJ supplies malonyl-coenzyme A for biosynthesis of the polyketide intermediate that is eventually processed to form the antibiotic jadomycin B...
- Absence of malonyl coenzyme A decarboxylase in mice increases cardiac glucose oxidation and protects the heart from ischemic injuryJason R B Dyck
Cardiovascular Research Group, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2S2
Circulation 114:1721-8. 2006Acute pharmacological inhibition of cardiac malonyl coenzyme A decarboxylase (MCD) protects the heart from ischemic damage by inhibiting fatty acid oxidation and stimulating glucose oxidation...
- A Zea mays GTP-binding protein of the ARF family complements an Escherichia coli mutant with a temperature-sensitive malonyl-coenzyme A:acyl carrier protein transacylaseI I Verwoert
Department of Genetics, BioCentrum Amsterdam, Vrije Universiteit, Netherlands
Plant Mol Biol 27:629-33. 1995..Complementation of a mutation affecting bacterial membrane lipid biosynthesis by a plant ARF protein, could indicate the existence of as yet unidentified bacterial equivalents of this ubiquitous eucaryotic GTP-binding protein...
- The crystal structure of MCAT from Mycobacterium tuberculosis reveals three new catalytic modelsZexuan Li
Tsinghua Nankai IBP Joint Research Group for Structural Biology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Mol Biol 371:1075-83. 2007The malonyl coenzyme A (CoA)-acyl carrier protein (ACP) transacylase (MCAT) plays a key role in cell wall biosynthesis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and other bacteria. The M...
- Regulation of fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscleB B Rasmussen
Metabolism Unit, Shriners Burns Institute, Texas, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 19:463-84. 1999..Nonetheless, the rate of glucose or glycogen metabolism is probably the primary regulator of the balance between glucose and fatty acid oxidation in muscle...
- Cloning and mutational analysis of human malonyl-coenzyme A decarboxylaseJ Gao
The Center for Human Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
J Lipid Res 40:178-82. 1999b>Malonyl coenzyme A (CoA) decarboxylase (E.C.4. 1.1.9) catalyzes the conversion of malonyl CoA to acetyl CoA...
- 3D-QSAR studies on malonyl coenzyme A decarboxylase inhibitorsMaulik R Patel
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, St John s University, Jamaica, NY 11439, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 15:4470-81. 2007..718 and 0.725, respectively. The information obtained from CoMFA and CoMSIA 3D contour maps may be of utility in the design of more potent MCD inhibitors...
- Fatty acid oxidation and malonyl-CoA decarboxylase in the vascular remodeling of pulmonary hypertensionGopinath Sutendra
Pulmonary Hypertension Program, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2B7
Sci Transl Med 2:44ra58. 2010....
- Unnatural polyketide analogues selectively target the HER signaling pathway in human breast cancer cellsSeok Joon Kwon
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180, USA
Chembiochem 11:573-80. 2010..Therefore, these polyketide analogues might prove to be useful drug candidates for potential breast cancer therapy...
- Molecular characterization of an Escherichia coli mutant with a temperature-sensitive malonyl coenzyme A-acyl carrier protein transacylaseI I Verwoert
Department of Genetics, BioCentrum Amsterdam, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 348:311-6. 1994..Site-directed mutagenesis of codon 257 revealed a requirement for an aromatic amino acid at this position in the polypeptide chain, to assure temperature stability of the enzyme...
- Some novel insights into the pathogenesis of alcoholic steatosisM Raj Lakshman
Lipid Research Laboratory 151T, VA Medical Center, 50 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20422, USA
Alcohol 34:45-8. 2004..kinase, which, through a complex mechanism, may regulate the relative concentrations of intracellular malonyl coenzyme A and long-chain acyl-coenzyme A, the key metabolites responsible for the balance between fat synthesis versus ..
- Cloning and nucleotide sequence of the fabD gene encoding malonyl coenzyme A-acyl carrier protein transacylase of Escherichia coliK Magnuson
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801
FEBS Lett 299:262-6. 1992We report the cloning and nucleotide sequence of the gene encoding malonyl coenzyme A-acyl carrier protein transacylase of Escherichia coli. Malonyl transacylase has been overexpressed 155-fold compared to a wild-type strain...
- Hypothalamic responses to fasting indicate metabolic reprogramming away from glycolysis toward lipid oxidationMichal M Poplawski
Fishberg Center for Neurobiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Endocrinology 151:5206-17. 2010..The present studies also provide a large panel of novel glucose-regulated genes that can be used as markers of glucose action to address mechanisms mediating hypothalamic responses to nutritional state...
- Tsc13p is required for fatty acid elongation and localizes to a novel structure at the nuclear-vacuolar interface in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeS D Kohlwein
SFB Biomembrane Research Center, Department of Biochemistry, Technical University Graz, A8010 Graz, Austria
Mol Cell Biol 21:109-25. 2001..Compromising the synthesis of malonyl coenzyme A (malonyl-CoA) by inactivating acetyl-CoA carboxylase in a tsc13 mutant is lethal, further supporting a role ..
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF ADIPOSE GENE EXPRESSIONM Lane; Fiscal Year: 1993..We have obtained compelling evidence that C/EBPalpha serves an essential role in the coordinate activation of a group of adipose-specific genes during adipose conversion...
- FUNGAL POLYKETIDE SYNTHASESCHARLES SIH; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Antiadipogenic Influence of HIV Protease InhibitorsM Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long term objective of the proposed research is to facilitate the design of anti-HIV therapeutics that lack lipoatrophic potential. ..
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF ADIPOSE GENE EXPRESSIONM Lane; Fiscal Year: 2007..The 32kDa CUP/AP-2alpha- interacting protein, p32, previously identified in our lab, will be characterized and its role determined. ..
- INSULIN AND ADIPOSE CONVERSIONM Lane; Fiscal Year: 1991..e. whether by altering gene transcription or by altering the rate of specific mRNA turnover. The molecular mechanisms by which this regulation is exerted will be investigated...
- REGULATION OF LIPOGENESISM Lane; Fiscal Year: 2001..for derepression and repression of the SCD1 and SCD2 genes. ..
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF ADIPOSE GENE EXPRESSIONM Lane; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., the Myc/Zif and Sp1 sites) that regulate the C/EBPalpha gene. how C/EBPalpha (and adipocyte genes it controls) is hormonally regulated in the differentiated adipocyte notably in insulin and cAMP. ..
- FACTORS AND GENES RESPONSIBLE FOR ADIPOCYTE COMMITMENTM Lane; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF LIPOGENESIS AND VLDL SYNTHESIS/ASSEMBLYM Lane; Fiscal Year: 1993..Positive feed-forward" control will also be investigated. * the molecular basis for tissue-specific expression and regulation of the SCD1 and SCD2 genes...
- Convergence of Nuclear Receptor and Forkhead SignalingPaul Dowell; Fiscal Year: 2004..The excellent research environment at Johns Hopkins coupled with an extensive collaborative team of experts in relevant fields of study is ideal for successful completion of the proposed work. ..
- Effects of ethanol on AMP kinase signalingDavid Crabb; Fiscal Year: 2007..It may also shed light on the pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. ..
- The role of cardiolipin apoptosisDIANE HICKSON BICK; Fiscal Year: 2007..The role of these modified phospholipids in cyt c release will be determined. We will answer the question "is the loss of cyt c preceded by deacylation of CL?" ..
- MECHANISMS OF ACTIONS OF ALCOHOL AND OMEGA3 FATTY ACIDSRaj Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 1999..the mechanism of inhibition of hepatic sialyltransferase activity? Specifically, does ethanol inhibit the synthesis of sialyltransferase and by down regulation of its hepatic mRNA levels? ..
- Estrogens and Insulin Resistance in WomenJerrold Olefsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- CARNITINE PALMITOYLTRANSFERASE AND FATTY ACID METABOLISMDaniel Foster; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- INSULIN RECEPTORS AND THE GLUCOSE TRANSPORT SYSTEMJerrold Olefsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF MALONYL COA IN MUSCLE DURING EXERCISEWILLIAM WINDER; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will contribute to our understanding of the mechanisms responsible for increasing fat utilization during exercise. ..
- Regulation of Mammalian Oocyte MaturationStephen Downs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will benefit the development of in vitro systems where either meiotic arrest or completion of meiotic maturation is the desired endpoint. ..
- Roles of Lipoate Pathways in Plasmodium SurvivalSEAN PRIGGE; Fiscal Year: 2007..falciparum fatty acid biosynthesis. ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF MALONYL COA IN MUSCLE DURING EXERCISEWILLIAM WINDER; Fiscal Year: 1993..This information will be important for better understanding the metabolic derangements of diabetes mellitus and for understanding regulation of fat utilization during exercise...
- Estrogen Effects in Insulin Target and Granulosa CellsJerrold Olefsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies should also highlight the role of inflammatory pathway activation in these pathophysiologic events and this may have potential therapeutic implications for new treatment approaches. ..
- FATTY ACID METABOLISM IN CARDIAC ISCHEMIADIANE HICKSON BICK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Location of a malonyl-CoA compartment that is inaccessible to CPT-I will shed light on the inconsistency between the high malonyl CoA content in heart and reliance on beta-oxidation. ..