Genomes and Genes
Summary: Refuse liquid or waste matter carried off by sewers. (Webster, 3d ed)
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Application of acidogenic fixed-bed reactor prior to anaerobic membrane bioreactor for sustainable slaughterhouse wastewater treatmentAhlem Saddoud
Laboratoire des Bio procédés, Centre de Biotechnologie de Sfax, BP K, Sfax 3038, Tunisia
J Hazard Mater 149:700-6. 2007..The anaerobic treatment led to a total removal of all tested pathogens. Thus, the microbiological quality of treated wastewater fits largely with WHO guidelines...
- Frequent detection of highly diverse variants of cardiovirus, cosavirus, bocavirus, and circovirus in sewage samples collected in the United StatesO Blinkova
Blood Systems Research Institute, 270 Masonic Ave, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3507-13. 2009Untreated sewage samples from 12 cities in the United States were screened for the presence of recently characterized RNA and DNA viruses found at high prevalence in the stool specimens of South Asian children...
- Detection of genogroup IV noroviruses in environmental and clinical samples and partial sequencing through rapid amplification of cDNA endsG La Rosa
Department of Environment and Primary Prevention, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161, Rome, Italy
Arch Virol 153:2077-83. 2008..In order to investigate the distribution of GIV strains in the environment, we analyzed sewage samples collected from five treatment plants, by using newly designed nested RT-PCR assays...
- Highly divergent neurovirulent vaccine-derived polioviruses of all three serotypes are recurrently detected in Finnish sewageM Roivainen
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Euro Surveill 15:pii/19566. 2010..e. search for infectious poliovirus in sewage samples...
- Conversion of sewage sludge into lipids by Lipomyces starkeyi for biodiesel productionC Angerbauer
Department of Environmental Biotechnology, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12, 8010 Graz, Austria
Bioresour Technol 99:3051-6. 2008The potential of accumulation of lipids by Lipomyces starkeyi when grown on sewage sludge was assessed. On a synthetic medium, accumulation of lipids strongly depended on the C/N ratio...
- Production of volatile derivatives of metal(loid)s by microflora involved in anaerobic digestion of sewage sludgeK Michalke
Department of Microbiology, University of Essen, D 45117 Essen, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 66:2791-6. 2000..could be shown to be produced by pure cultures of microorganisms which are representatives of the anaerobic sewage sludge microflora, i.e...
- Oseltamivir carboxylate, the active metabolite of oseltamivir phosphate (Tamiflu), detected in sewage discharge and river water in JapanGopal C Ghosh
Research Centre for Environmental Quality Management, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Environ Health Perspect 118:103-7. 2010....
- Freshwater suspended sediments and sewage are reservoirs for enterotoxin-positive Clostridium perfringensSabrina R Mueller-Spitz
Great Lakes WATER Institute, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53204, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5556-62. 2010..PCR and toxin gene profiles identified 174 isolates collected from the suspended sediments, surface water, and sewage influent as C. perfringens type A...
- Detection and molecular characterization of enteric viruses in environmental samples in Monastir, Tunisia between January 2003 and April 2007K Sdiri-Loulizi
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases and Biological Agents, Faculty of Pharmacy, Monastir, Tunisia
J Appl Microbiol 109:1093-104. 2010A prospective study was performed to characterize the main human enteric viruses able to persist in sewage samples and in shellfish tissues, and to establish the correlation between environmental strains and viral infantile diarrhoea ..
- Human sewage identified as likely source of white pox disease of the threatened Caribbean elkhorn coral, Acropora palmataKathryn Patterson Sutherland
Department of Biology, Rollins College, Winter Park, FL 32789, USA
Environ Microbiol 12:1122-31. 2010..During outbreaks in 2003 a unique strain of S. marcescens was identified in both human sewage and white pox lesions...
- Isolation and characterization of Klebsiella pneumoniae specific bacteriophages from sewage samplesS Kumari
Department of Microbiology, Panjab University, Basic Medical Sciences Building, Chandigarh, 160014, India
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 55:221-7. 2010..Kpn13, Kpn17 and Kpn22), each having specificity against Klebsiella pneumoniae strain B5055, were isolated from sewage samples and characterized in terms of growth characteristics, genetic material, morphology and structural proteins...
- The detection of enteric viruses in selected urban and rural river water and sewage in Kenya, with special reference to rotavirusesN M Kiulia
Enteric Viruses Research Group, Institute of Primate Research, Karen, Nairobi, Kenya
J Appl Microbiol 109:818-28. 2010To determine the occurrence of eight human enteric viruses in surface water and sewage samples from different geographical areas in Kenya.
- Neurovirulent vaccine-derived polioviruses in sewage from highly immune populationsLester M Shulman
Central Virology Laboratory, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
PLoS ONE 1:e69. 2006..Israeli environmental surveillance of sewage from populations with high (>95%) documented vaccine coverage of confirmed efficacy identified two separate ..
- Biomonitoring of complex occupational exposures to carcinogens: the case of sewage workers in ParisHamzeh Al Zabadi
INSERM ERI 11, Nancy University Medical School, 9 Av de la Foret de Haye, BP 184, 54505 Vandoeuvre Les Nancy Cedex, France
BMC Cancer 8:67. 2008b>Sewage workers provide an essential service in the protection of public and environmental health. However, they are exposed to varied mixtures of chemicals; some are known or suspected to be genotoxics or carcinogens...
- Detection and quantification of group C rotaviruses in communal sewageEdina Meleg
Regional Laboratory of Virology, Baranya County Institute of State Public Health Service, Szabadság út 7, H 7623 Pecs, Hungary
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:3394-9. 2008..A total of 35 raw and 35 treated sewage samples collected at the same sampling time in four Hungarian sewage treatment plants during a survey in 2005 were ..
- Molecular detection of hepatitis E virus in sewage samplesGiuseppina La Rosa
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Department of Environment and Primary Prevention, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5870-3. 2010..In Italy, the true burden of HEV infection is unknown. Molecular HEV screening of raw sewage samples from 11 wastewater treatment plants yielded 19 positives (16%; 18 genotype I, 1 genotype III) evenly ..
- Evidence of the co-circulation of enteric viruses in sewage and in the population of Greater CairoA H Kamel
Laboratory of Virology, National Reference Center for Enteric Viruses, Public Hospital of Dijon, Dijon, France
J Appl Microbiol 108:1620-9. 2010To characterize major enteric viruses (enterovirus, rotavirus, norovirus, astrovirus and adenovirus) in the sewage of Greater Cairo and to compare the results with clinical data collected during the same period.
- Environmental surveillance of Non-Polio Enteroviruses in IranMohammad Kargar
Department of Microbiology, Islamic Azad University, Jahrom Branch, Iran
Virol J 6:149. 2009..Therefore, by detecting enteroviruses in environmental specimens and sewage, we can understand this virus circulation, the approximate ratio of contaminated persons in society and they are ..
- Tetracycline resistance genes in activated sludge wastewater treatment plantsEric A Auerbach
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, 3204 Engineering Hall, 1415 Engineering Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Water Res 41:1143-51. 2007..Investigation of the effects of UV disinfection on wastewater effluent showed no reduction in the number of detectable tet(R) gene types...
- Sequence of the 68,869 bp IncP-1alpha plasmid pTB11 from a waste-water treatment plant reveals a highly conserved backbone, a Tn402-like integron and other transposable elementsThomas Tennstedt
, , , Postfach 100131, D-33501 Bielefeld, Germany
Plasmid 53:218-38. 2005..Identification of IncP-1alpha plasmids in bacteria of the waste-water treatment plant's final effluents indicates that bacteria carrying these kind of plasmids are released into the environment...
- Oral poliovaccine: will it help eradicate polio or cause the next epidemic?Lester M Shulman
Central Virology Laboratory, Public Health Services, Ministry of Health, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 8:312-5. 2006..Poliovirus rapidly evolves by nucleic acid substitutions and genetic recombination with other polioviruses and non-polio enteroviruses. Evolving oral poliovaccine can rapidly revert to neurovirulence and undergo antigenic alterations...
- Detection of human-derived fecal pollution in environmental waters by use of a PCR-based human polyomavirus assayShannon M McQuaig
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science, University of Florida, Gainesville 33611, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:7567-74. 2006..HPyVs were detected in as little as 1 microl of sewage and were not amplified from dairy cow or pig wastes...
- Bacteriophages may bias outcome of bacterial enrichment culturesMaite Muniesa
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, Diagonal 645, E-08028 Barcelona, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4269-75. 2005..45-microm non-protein-binding membranes. Furthermore, our data indicate that the Salmonella biotypes isolated after the enrichment culture change if bacteriophages are present, thus distorting the results of the analysis...
- Mass loading and fate of perfluoroalkyl surfactants in wastewater treatment plantsEwan Sinclair
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, and Department of Environmental Health Sciences, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York 12201-0509, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:1408-14. 2006..A different pattern was observed in sludge samples, in which the dominance of PFOA decreased, and PFDA and PFUnDA increased, suggesting preferential partitioning of longer-chain PFCAs to sludge...
- Hepatitis E virus epidemiology in industrialized countriesPilar Clemente-Casares
University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 9:448-54. 2003..Twenty of 46 (43.5%) urban sewage samples collected in Barcelona from 1994 to 2002 tested positive for HEV...
- New tools for the study and direct surveillance of viral pathogens in waterAlbert Bosch
Enteric Virus Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, University of Barcelona, Spain
Curr Opin Biotechnol 19:295-301. 2008..However, new tools are nowadays available for the study and direct surveillance of viral pathogens in water that may contribute to fulfil these requirements...
- Novel predominant archaeal and bacterial groups revealed by molecular analysis of an anaerobic sludge digesterRakia Chouari
CNRS-UMR 8030, , 2, , 91057 Evry, France
Environ Microbiol 7:1104-15. 2005..9 +/- 3.1% while Planctomycetes and Synergistes represented <2% each. Using the novel set of probes we extended the coverage of bacterial populations from 52% to 85.3% of the total rRNA within the digester samples...
- An integrated UASB-sludge digester system for raw domestic wastewater treatment in temperate climatesBeni Lew
Agricultural Research Organization, P O Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Bioresour Technol 102:4921-4. 2011..66 l per liter of UASB reactor was design operating at a 3.20 days retention time. Methane produced by the sludge digester is sufficient to maintain the temperature at 30 °C...
- Monitoring anthropogenic sewage pollution on mangrove creeks in southern Mozambique: a test of Palaemon concinnus Dana, 1852 (Palaemonidae) as a biological indicatorGil Penha-Lopes
Laboratório Marítimo da Guia, Centro de Oceanografia, FCUL, Avenida N a Senhora do Cabo, N 939, 2750 374 Cascais, Portugal
Environ Pollut 159:636-45. 2011..Palaemon concinnus populations from one peri-urban (domestic sewage impacted) and two pristine mangrove creeks were studied by sampling nearly 100 shrimps per location every 15 days ..
- Analysis of the bacterial community in a laboratory-scale nitrification reactor and a wastewater treatment plant by 454-pyrosequencingLin Ye
Environmental Biotechnology Laboratory, Genome Research Center, The Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Water Res 45:4390-8. 2011..In this paper the reasons for this mistakenly assignment were analyzed and correction methods were proposed...
- Extension of ASM3 for two-step nitrification and denitrification and its calibration and validation with batch tests and pilot scale dataDavid Kaelin
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Uberlandstrasse 133, P O Box 611, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Water Res 43:1680-92. 2009....
- Possible role of denitrification on aerobic granular sludge formation in sequencing batch reactorJunfeng Wan
Universite de Toulouse, INSA, UPS, INP, LISBP, France
Chemosphere 75:220-7. 2009..The presence of nitrate (commonly provided by nitrification) should be considered as a possible factor which helps to maintain the granulation process...
- An epidemiological study of enteric viruses in sewage with molecular characterization by RT-PCR and sequence analysisA Arraj
Bohatier Laboratoire de biologie comparée des Protistes, Universite Blaise Pascal, Aubière et Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite d Auvergne, UMR CNRS 6023, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Water Health 6:351-8. 2008..analyses in concentrated water samples collected over 18 months at the entrance and exit of an activated sludge sewage treatment plant...
- Dissolved oxygen as a key parameter to aerobic granule formationB S McSwain Sturm
Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Water Sci Technol 58:781-7. 2008..These results indicate that the substrate removal kinetics and dissolved oxygen are more significant to granule formation than shear force...
- Clean bio-oil production from fast pyrolysis of sewage sludge: effects of reaction conditions and metal oxide catalystsHyun Ju Park
Faculty of Environmental Engineering, University of Seoul, 90 Jeonnong dong, Dongdaemun Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Bioresour Technol 101:S83-5. 2010Fast pyrolysis of sewage sludge was carried out under different reaction conditions, and its effects on bio-oil characteristics were studied...
- Co-digestion of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste with primary sludge at a municipal wastewater treatment plant in TurkeyRecep Kaan Dereli
Department of Environmental Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, 34469 Maslak, Istanbul, Turkey
Waste Manag Res 28:404-10. 2010Co-digestion of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste (OFMSW) and sewage sludge may be an attractive alternative for sustainable management of two separate waste streams produced in large amounts in all countries...
- Detection of novel sequences related to african Swine Fever virus in human serum and sewageJoy Loh
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Box 8118, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Virol 83:13019-25. 2009..We report here the discovery of novel viral sequences in human serum and sewage which are clearly related to the asfarvirus family but highly divergent from ASFV...
- Methanobacterium petrolearium sp. nov. and Methanobacterium ferruginis sp. nov., mesophilic methanogens isolated from salty environmentsKoji Mori
NITE Biological Resource Center, National Institute of Technology and Evaluation, 2 5 8 Kazusakamatari, Kisarazu, Chiba 292 0818, Japan
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 61:138-43. 2011..nov. and Methanobacterium ferruginis sp. nov., with type strains Mic5c12(T) (=NBRC 105198(T) =DSM 22353(T)) and Mic6c05(T) (=NBRC 105197(T) =DSM 21974(T)), respectively...
- Molecular detection of hepatitis A virus in urban sewage in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilL M Villar
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Lett Appl Microbiol 45:168-73. 2007A one-year survey was conducted to examine hepatitis A virus (HAV) prevalence, distribution of genotypes and their relationship to bacterial indicators in raw and treated sewage samples.
- Covariation and photoinactivation of traditional and novel indicator organisms and human viruses at a sewage-impacted marine beachAlexandria B Boehm
Environmental and Water Studies, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:8046-52. 2009....
- Human enteric viruses in groundwater indicate offshore transport of human sewage to coral reefs of the Upper Florida KeysJ Carrie Futch
The University of Georgia, Department of Environmental Health Science, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Environ Microbiol 12:964-74. 2010To address the issue of human sewage reaching corals along the main reef of the Florida Keys, samples were collected from surface water, groundwater and coral [surface mucopolysaccharide layers (SML)] along a 10 km transect near Key Largo,..
- Continuous presence of noroviruses and sapoviruses in raw sewage reflects infections among inhabitants of Toyama, Japan (2006 to 2008)Masae Iwai
Department of Virology, Toyama Institute of Health, 17 1 Nakataikoyama, Imizu shi, Toyama 939 0363, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1264-70. 2009..1 and GI.2, GII.1, and GIV.1) were detected from raw sewage from April 2006 to March 2008, while limited numbers of genotypes of NoV (GI.8, GII.4, GII.6, and GII...
- Characterization and quantification of class 1 integrons and associated gene cassettes in sewage treatment plantsXu Xiang Zhang
Environmental Biotechnology Lab, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 82:1169-77. 2009Class 1 integrons and gene cassettes containing antibiotic resistance genes (ARGs) in five different sewage treatment plants (STPs) were characterized and quantified using polymerase chain reaction (PCR), sequencing, and quantitative real-..
- 3,3',5-Triiodo-L-thyronine-like activity in effluents from domestic sewage treatment plants detected by in vitro and in vivo bioassaysTomonori Murata
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, 836 Ohya, Suruga ku, Shizuoka, 422 8529, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 226:309-17. 2008Thyroid system-disrupting activity in effluents from municipal domestic sewage treatment plants was detected using three in vitro assays and one in vivo assay...
- Comparison of two extraction methods for the analysis of per- and polyfluorinated chemicals in digested sewage sludgeTao Zhang
MOE Key Laboratory of Pollution Processes and Environmental Criteria, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China
J Chromatogr A 1217:5026-34. 2010..LC-MS/MS), was developed for determination of 17 per- and polyfluorinated chemicals (PFCs) in digested sewage sludge...
- Co-digestion of sewage sludge with glycerol to boost biogas productionM S Fountoulakis
School of Agricultural Technology, Technological Educational Institute of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
Waste Manag 30:1849-53. 2010The feasibility of adding crude glycerol from the biodiesel industry to the anaerobic digesters treating sewage sludge in wastewater treatment plants was studied in both batch and continuous experiments at 35 degrees C...
- Correlation between rotavirus A genotypes detected in hospitalized children and sewage samples in 2006, Córdoba, ArgentinaP A Barril
Virology Institute Dr J M Vanella, School of Medical Sciences, National University of Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
J Med Virol 82:1277-81. 2010..determine whether the RV-A genotypes and cold seasonal pattern described in patients with diarrhea is reflected by sewage surveillance, which could be representative of the RV-A genotypes circulating in the population...
- Occurrence, abundance, and diversity of tetracycline resistance genes in 15 sewage treatment plants across China and other global locationsXu Xiang Zhang
Environmental Biotechnology Lab, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Environ Sci Technol 45:2598-604. 2011Activated sludge was sampled from 15 sewage treatment plants (STPs) across China and other global locations to investigate the occurrence, abundance and diversity of tetracycline resistance genes (tet) in the STPs...
- Modulation of steroidogenesis by coastal waters and sewage effluents of Hong Kong, China, using the H295R assayTannia Gracia
Department of Zoology, National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, Center for Integrative Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 15:332-43. 2008..After exposing H295R cells to extracts of water, the expression of four steroidogenic genes and the production of three steroid hormones were measured...
- Analysis of perfluorinated compounds in sewage sludge by pressurized solvent extraction followed by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometryMarta Llorca
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IDAEA CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1218:4840-6. 2011..The present work has been focused to develop a sensitive and robust method for the analysis of 18 PFCs in sewage sludge, based on pressurized solvent extraction (PSE) followed by solid phase extraction (SPE) clean-up, analytes ..
- Detection of rotavirus A in sewage samples using multiplex qPCR and an evaluation of the ultracentrifugation and adsorption-elution methods for virus concentrationTulio M Fumian
Laboratory of Comparative and Environmental Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Virol Methods 170:42-6. 2010..The goal of this study was to compare two different methods to concentrate RV-A from sewage samples and to improve the detection and quantification of RV-A using a multiplex quantitative PCR assay with an ..
- Seroepidemiology of infection with Toxoplasma gondii in workers occupationally exposed to water, sewage, and soil in Durango, MexicoC Alvarado-Esquivel
Faculty of Medicine, Juárez University of Durango State, Avenida Universidad S N esquina Fanny Anitua, 34000 Durango, Dgo, Mexico
J Parasitol 96:847-50. 2010Water, sewage, and soil are potential sources of infection for Toxoplasma gondii. Therefore, we sought to determine the prevalence of T...
- An international survey of decabromodiphenyl ethane (deBDethane) and decabromodiphenyl ether (decaBDE) in sewage sludge samplesNiklas Ricklund
Department of Applied Environmental Science, ITM, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Chemosphere 73:1799-804. 2008..Environmental data on deBDethane are scarce. Since sewage sludge is an early indicator of leakage of these chemicals into the environment, an international survey of ..
- Sewage impacts coral reefs at multiple levels of ecological organizationPasinee Reopanichkul
Faculty of Science, Health and Education, University of the Sunshine Coast, Maroochydore, Queensland Q 4558, Australia
Mar Pollut Bull 58:1356-62. 2009..Because interventions usually require local data on pollution impacts, we measured ecological responses to sewage discharges in Surin Marine Park, Thailand...
- One-year monthly survey of rotavirus, astrovirus and norovirus in three sewage treatment plants in Beijing, China and associated health risk assessmentX Q He
School of Biological Sciences and Technology, P O Box 162, Beijing Forestry University, Beijing 100083, China
Water Sci Technol 63:191-8. 2011..A total of 96 samples of influent and effluents from three sewage treatment plants (STPs) were collected from November 2006 to October 2007...
- Comparison of BGM and PLC/PRC/5 cell lines for total culturable viral assay of treated sewageRoberto A Rodriguez
Department of Soil, Water, and Environmental Science, University of Arizona, P O Box 210038, Tucson, AZ 85721 0038, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2583-7. 2008..this study was to compare PLC/PRF/5 and BGM cell lines for use in a total culturable viral assay (TCVA) of treated sewage effluents...
- Microbial dynamics in upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) bioreactor granules in response to short-term changes in substrate feedWilliam P Kovacik
Microbiology Department, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA 99354, USA
Microbiology 156:2418-27. 2010..Our results demonstrated that microbial communities, even highly structured ones such as in UASB biogranules, are very capable of responding to rapid and major changes in their environment...
- Stenotrophomonas daejeonensis sp. nov., isolated from sewageMyungjin Lee
Research and Development Division, H Plus Eco Ltd, BVC 301, KRIBB, Eoeun dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 333, Republic of Korea
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 61:598-604. 2011A Gram-stain-negative, motile, aerobic bacterial strain, designated MJ03(T), was isolated from sewage and was characterized taxonomically by using a polyphasic approach...
- Community onsite treatment of cold strong sewage in a UASB-septic tankWafa Al-Jamal
Institute of Environmental and Water Studies, Birzeit University, Birzeit, The West Bank, Palestine
Bioresour Technol 100:1061-8. 2009..During the monitoring period, the sewage was characterised by a high COD(tot) of 905mg/l with a high fraction of COD(ss), viz. about 43...
- Behavior and occurrence of estrogens in municipal sewage treatment plants--I. Investigations in Germany, Canada and BrazilT A Ternes
ESWE Institute for Water Research and Water Technology, Wiesbaden, Germany
Sci Total Environ 225:81-90. 1999The developed method enables the quantification of estrogens in sewage samples down to 1 ng/l and in river water down to 0.5 ng/l...
- Detection of the nifH gene of Methanobrevibacter smithii: a potential tool to identify sewage pollution in recreational watersJ A Ufnar
Department of Biological Sciences, The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS 39406 0001, USA
J Appl Microbiol 101:44-52. 2006The goal of this study was to develop and test the efficacy of a PCR assay for the environmental detection of the nifH gene of Methanobrevibacter smithii, a methanogen found in human faeces and sewage.
- Multiple profiling of soil microbial communities identifies potential genetic markers of metal-enriched sewage sludgeCatriona A Macdonald
Macaulay Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 65:555-64. 2008The long-term impacts of Cu- and Zn-rich sewage sludge additions on the structure of the microbial community in a field under pasture were investigated using a combination of multiplex-terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (M-..
- Identification of diverse antimicrobial resistance determinants carried on bacterial, plasmid, or viral metagenomes from an activated sludge microbial assemblageLarissa C Parsley
Department of Biological Sciences, Auburn University, 120 W Samford Ave, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:3753-7. 2010....
- Occurrence, abundance and elimination of class 1 integrons in one municipal sewage treatment plantLiping Ma
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, School of the Environment, Nanjing University, 163 Xianlin Road, Nanjing, 210046, China
Ecotoxicology 20:968-73. 2011..1 integrons were investigated for bacterial species isolated from the activated sludge of Nanjing Jiangxinzhou sewage treatment plant (STP, China)...
- Tetracycline resistance genes and tetracycline resistant lactose-fermenting Enterobacteriaceae in activated sludge of sewage treatment plantsTong Zhang
Environmental Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Environ Sci Technol 43:3455-60. 2009Activated sludges were sampled from five sewage treatment plants (STPs) distributed in three geographically isolated areas, i.e...
- Simultaneous determination of hexabromocyclododecane, tetrabromobisphenol A, and related compounds in sewage sludge and sediment samples from Ebro River basin (Spain)Paula Guerra
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IDAEA CSIC, Jordi Girona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Anal Bioanal Chem 397:2817-24. 2010..Analyte recoveries were in the range of 39-120% and 88-126% for spiked sewage and sediment, respectively. Repeatability of replicate extractions was better than 13% relative standard deviation...
- Effects of a realistic mixture of antibiotics on resistant and nonresistant sewage sludge bacteria in laboratory-scale treatment plantsAli Al-Ahmad
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 57:264-73. 2009The detection of antibiotics and resistant bacteria in sewage treatment plants (STPs) has stimulated a discussion on the origin and selection of resistant bacteria during sewage treatment...
- Bacteriophages and diffusion of beta-lactamase genesMaite Muniesa
University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1134-7. 2004We evaluated the presence of various Beta-lactamase genes within the bacteriophages in sewage. Results showed the occurrence of phage particles carrying sequences of bla(OXA-2), bla(PSE-1) or bla(PSE-4) and bla(PSE)-type genes...
- Analysis of volatile fatty acids in wastewater collected from a pig farm by a solid phase microextraction methodS P Yo
Department of Zoology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Chemosphere 38:823-34. 1999..The method may be applied for scanning a wide spectrum of polar organic compounds in environmental samples...
- New anaerobic process of nitrogen removalS Kalyuzhnyi
Department of Chemical Enzymology, Chemistry Faculty, Moscow State University, 119992 Moscow, Russia
Water Sci Technol 54:163-70. 2006..The paper describes also some characteristics of DEAMOX sludge, as well as the preliminary results of its microbiological characterization...
- Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification in an aerobic reactor with granular sludge originating from an upflow anaerobic sludge bed reactorWenquan Ruan
School of Biotechnology, Southern Yangtze University, Wuxi, PR China
Water Environ Res 78:792-6. 2006..39 NH4(+)-N/COD. Intermediate products, such as nitrite-nitrogen and nitrate-nitrogen, were also analyzed to clarify the SND process with the aerobic granular sludge...
- DEAMOX--new biological nitrogen removal process based on anaerobic ammonia oxidation coupled to sulphide-driven conversion of nitrate into nitriteSergey Kalyuzhnyi
Department of Chemical Enzymology, Chemistry Faculty, Moscow State University, 119992 Moscow, Russia
Water Res 40:3637-45. 2006..57 mgS/mgN (stoichiometry of the sulphide-driven denitrification of nitrate to nitrite). The paper further describes some characteristics of the DEAMOX sludge as well as the preliminary results of its microbiological characterisation...
- Anaerobic treatment of a chemical synthesis-based pharmaceutical wastewater in a hybrid upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactorYalcin Askin Oktem
Istanbul University, Department of Environmental Engineering, 34320 Avcilar, Istanbul, Turkey
Bioresour Technol 99:1089-96. 2008..At this point, SMA value was 200 ml CH(4)/g TVS d. It was concluded that the hybrid UASB reactor could be a suitable alternative for the treatment of chemical synthesis-based pharmaceutical wastewater...
- Sequential anaerobic, aerobic/anoxic treatment of simulated landfill leachateO N Agdag
Pamukkale University, Engineering Faculty, Environmental Eng Dept K1n1kl1 Campus Denizli, Turkey
Environ Technol 29:183-97. 2008..The denitrification efficiency was 99% in the same reactor. Total TN removal of the whole system was 99%...
- The performance of a phase separated granular bed bioreactor treating brewery wastewaterM I Baloch
Wessex Water, Bristol Wastewater Treatment Works, Kings Weston Lane, Avonmouth, Bristol, BS11 0YS, UK
Bioresour Technol 98:1849-55. 2007..The granular structure in the acidogenic dominant zone of the GRABBR was susceptible to disintegration and flotation. Methanogenic granular sludge was a multi-layered structure with Methanosaeta-like organisms dominant in the core...
- Improvement of wastewater treatment performance of the Fukashiba treatment plantK Hirose
Kashima Prefectural Sewerage Office, Kitahama 9 Kamisumachi, Kashimagun, Ibarakiken, Japan
Water Sci Technol 53:127-33. 2006The Fukashiba Treatment Plant Kashima Rinkai Specified Sewage Works has received wastewater from the petrochemical complex (90%) and public sewage of Kamisu and Hasaki town (10%)...
- Dynamical modelling of an activated sludge system of a petrochemical plant operating at high temperaturesM A M Maqueda
Pemex Petroquimica, Veracruz, Mexico
Water Sci Technol 53:135-42. 2006..The model was obtained from tests that were carried out in laboratory reactors with 14 L capacity, which were operated at different temperatures (from 30 to 45 degrees C), with the same wastewater and conditions as the actual system...
- Evaluation of a upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor with partial recirculation of effluent used to treat wastewaters from pulp and paper plantsA P Buzzini
Department of Hydraulics and Sanitation, Sao Carlos School of Engineering, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil Av Trabalhador São carlense 400, CEP 13566 590 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
Bioresour Technol 98:1838-48. 2007....
- Comparative study of MBR and activated sludge in the treatment of paper mill wastewaterM Lerner
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Water Sci Technol 55:23-9. 2007....
- Comparison of textile dye treatment by biosorption and membrane bioreactorB Chamam
Universite Montpellier II, LGPEB, 34095 Montpellier Cx 05, France
Environ Technol 28:1325-31. 2007..33 kg m(-3) d(-1) and the permeate quality was always free of suspended solids or turbidity. Moreover, the permeate COD values were always lower than 60 mg l(-1) and small permeate coloration only appeared during malfunctioning periods...
- Biological removal of nitrogen from wastewaterGuibing Zhu
School of Municipal and Environmental Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin 150090, PR China
Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 192:159-95. 2008..More effort should be invested to combine these novel processes (e.g., partial nitrification, ANAMMOX) to enhance nitrogen removal efficiency...
- [Adsorption characteristics of 17beta-estradiol to anaerobic and anoxic sludge]Qing ling Zeng
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resources Reuse, Tongji University, Shanghai 200092, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 28:1981-6. 2007..No significant differences were observed between activated and inactivated sludge. The adsorption abilities of anaerobic activated/inactivated sludge were greater than those of anoxic activated/inactivated sludge...
- Treatment of coke wastewater in a sequential batch reactor (SBR) at pilot plant scaleE Maranon
Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Higher Polytechnic School of Engineering, University of Oviedo, 33204 Gijón, Spain
Bioresour Technol 99:4192-8. 2008..Final concentrations in the effluent of 1.8 mg phenols/L, 5.4 mg SCN/L, 206 mg COD/L and 78 mg N-NH(4)(+)/L were obtained...
- Application of the UASB inoculated with flocculent and granular sludge in treating sewage at different hydraulic shock loadsTarek Sabry
Iowa State University, USA
Bioresour Technol 99:4073-7. 2008..the resistance to hydraulic shock loads of flocculent versus granular sludge used in UASB reactors treating sewage with high solids content...
- Statistical modeling and optimization of biomass granulation and COD removal in UASB reactors treating low strength wastewatersPuspendu Bhunia
Environmental Engineering and Management Section, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Bioresour Technol 99:4229-38. 2008..0 kg COD/m(3) d. Validation of model predictions for treatment of synthetic wastewater and actual sewage reveals the efficacy of these models for enhancing granulation and COD removal efficiency.
- The elimination of Salmonella typhimurium in sewage sludge by aerobic mesophilic stabilization and lime hydrated stabilizationIveta Placha
Institute of Animal Physiology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Soltesovej 4 6, 040 01 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Bioresour Technol 99:4269-74. 2008This study observed the effects of two methods, aerobic mesophilic stabilization and lime hydrated stabilization of sewage sludge upon the survival of Salmonella typhimurium...
- Degradation of 4-chlorophenol in UASB reactor under methanogenic conditionsPartha Sarathi Majumder
Centre for Environmental Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Powai, Mumbai 400 076, India
Bioresour Technol 99:4169-77. 2008..Specific methanogenic activity of the sludge of control and test UASB reactor was 0.832 g CH(4) COD/g VSS d and 0.694 g CH(4) COD/g VSS d, respectively...
- Optimization of methane fermentation from effluent of bio-hydrogen fermentation process using response surface methodologyXing Wang
The State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai 200092, China
Bioresour Technol 99:4292-9. 2008..81 and calcium concentration of 380.82 mg/l. Verification experiment of the estimated optimum conditions confirmed that the RSM was useful for optimizing the methane yield from effluent of bio-hydrogen fermentation of food waste...
- Effect of operational parameters on the removal of particulate chemical oxygen demand in the activated sludge processJose A Jimenez
Brown and Caldwell, Maitland, Florida, USA
Water Environ Res 79:984-90. 2007....
- [Impact of dissolved oxygen on the activity of anaerobic granular sludges]Yong Zhu
Department of Environmental Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200062, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 28:781-5. 2007..Anaerobic granular sludges are demonstrated high tolerance for dissolved oxygen so that in practice this factor can be neglected...
- Quantitative comparison of stability of ANAMMOX process in different reactor configurationsRen Cun Jin
Department of Environmental Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, PR China
Bioresour Technol 99:1603-9. 2008..In terms of stability, UASB reactor was more suitable configuration compared with USFF reactor. The instability indices proved to be effective and explicit for the evaluation of ANAMMOX systems...
- Bioaugmentation of cyanide-degrading microorganisms in a full-scale cokes wastewater treatment facilityDonghee Park
Advanced Environmental Biotechnology Research Center, School of Environmental Science and Engineering Department of Chemical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, South Korea
Bioresour Technol 99:2092-6. 2008..Therefore, there is a need for further studies on how to solve these operating problems in full-scale bioaugmentation approach...
- Treatment of molasses wastewater by acetogenic bacteria BP103 in sequencing batch reactor (SBR) systemSuntud Sirianuntapiboon
Department of Environmental Technology, School of Energy, Environment and Materials, King Mongkut s University of Technology Thonburi KMUTT, Thungkru, Bangmod, Bangkok, Thailand
Bioresour Technol 99:1806-15. 2008..2+/-3.7%, respectively. The large molecular weight fraction of MP in both U-MWW and An-MWW solutions were rapidly removed by acetogenic bacteria BP103, while the small molecular weight fractions of MP still remained in the effluent...
- Anaerobic treatment as a core technology for energy, nutrients and water recovery from source-separated domestic waste(water)Grietje Zeeman
Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Sub Department of Environmental Technology, Wageningen University, PO Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Water Sci Technol 57:1207-12. 2008..The total energy saving of the new sanitation concept amounts to 200 MJ/year in comparison with conventional sanitation, moreover 0.14 kg P/p/year and 90 litres of potential reusable water are produced...
- Appropriate design of activated sludge systems for nitrogen removal from high strength wastewatersNazik Artan
Environmental Engineering Department, Istanbul Technical University, Maslak, Istanbul, Turkey
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 39:1913-24. 2004..The design approach is tested for two types of strong industrial wastewaters with different N contents and COD/N ratios and a typical domestic sewage for comparative evaluation.
- Enhanced biological phosphate removal by granular sludge in a sequencing batch reactorEbru Dulekgurgen
Environmental Engineering Department, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, Maslak 34469, Istanbul, Turkey
Biotechnol Lett 25:687-93. 2003..6% for phosphate, and 71% for nitrogen. Microscopic observations revealed a morphological diversity...
- Microphyte and macrophyte-based lagooning in tropical regionsI M K Noumsi
Wastewater Research Unit, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde I, P O Box 8404, Yaounde, Cameroon
Water Sci Technol 51:267-74. 2005..Macrophyte lagooning did not show any definitive superiority as to nutrient removal when compared to microphyte lagooning. Microphyte lagooning was the most effective process in faecal indicators removal...
- Non-filamentous sludge bulking caused by a deficiency of nitrogen in industrial wastewater treatmentY Peng
College of Environmental and Energy Engineering, Beijing Polytechnic University, Beijing, 100022, China
Water Sci Technol 47:289-95. 2003..94, more serious non-filamentous bulking occurred. Furthermore, the effects of nitrogen deficiency on the nitrogen sources and phosphorus sources utilization rate and the COD removal rate were investigated in the experiments...
- Performance of very shallow ponds treating effluents from UASB reactorsM von Sperling
Department of Sanitary and Environmental Engineering, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
Water Sci Technol 51:83-90. 2005..The results endorse the applicability of the system composed by UASB reactors followed by very shallow ponds in series, with low detention times...
- Twenty years' monitoring of Mèze stabilisation ponds: part I--Removal of organic matter and nutrientsB Picot
Department Sciences de l Environnement et Santé Publique, UMR 5569 Hydrosciences, Université Montpellier l, Faculte de Pharmacie, BP 1149, 34093 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Water Sci Technol 51:23-31. 2005..Nitrification and denitrification seem to be a major process of nitrogen removal in warm periods. Most of the phosphorus removal was observed to take place in the two polishing ponds...
- Anaerobic treatment of poultry mortality in a temperature-phased leachbed-UASB systemTen Hong Chen
Department of Bio Industrial Mechatronics Engineering, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan 40227, ROC
Bioresour Technol 97:1398-410. 2006..The results were compared to that of another similar system where the UASB reactor was maintained at 35 degrees C instead of at 55 degrees C...
- Detection of Pathogens in Avian Fecal PollutionSANDRA MCLELLAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..many times are not a reflection of serious contamination events that present a known health risk, such as human sewage overflows...
- Natural History of Urban LeptospirosisAlbert Icksang Ko; Fiscal Year: 2010..to hypothesize that effective prevention of urban leptospirosis requires providing slum communities with adequate sewage and drainage systems...
- Novel accelerated in vitro breeding for phytoremediationMIHALY CZAKO; Fiscal Year: 2007..of TCP at Southern Sun (8a), and to demonstrate biomass production and remediation of a select pollutant in city sewage sludge at BioTech, Inc., Cayce SC (8b), and potentially in hog lagoons in Clinton, NC...
- PREVENTION OF MILK-BORNE TRANSMISSION OF HIV IN BOTSWANAMyron Essex; Fiscal Year: 2004..is likely to increase infant morbidity and mortality, especially in environments where water quality and sewage treatment are not optimal...
- Transmission dynamics of cryptosporidial infections in IndiaGagandeep Kang; Fiscal Year: 2010..as well as potentially transmissible infections in family members, household animals, drinking water and sewage. Molecular information on genotyping will be integrated with clinical and epidemiologic information in a spatial ..
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..Hypothesis: Bacterial species in the Dental sewage pipe biofilms include those from the oral biofilms (e.g...
- The metalloenzymes of ammonia-oxidizing bacteriaA Pacheco; Fiscal Year: 2005..Mixtures of Nm. europaea, and complementary bacteria that reduce nitrite to nitrogen, are used in sewage treatment plants to eliminate excess ammonia from waste water...
- Local Health Impacts of Land Application of Sewage SludgeSteven Wing; Fiscal Year: 2009..internet to seek assistance in conducting research into health problems that may be caused by land application of sewage sludge, and to educate citizens and government officials...
- Local Health Impacts of Land Application of Sewage SludgeSteven Wing; Fiscal Year: 2007..internet to seek assistance in conducting research into health problems that may be caused by land application of sewage sludge, and to educate citizens and government officials...
- Local Health Impacts of Land Application of Sewage SludgeSteven B Wing; Fiscal Year: 2010..internet to seek assistance in conducting research into health problems that may be caused by land application of sewage sludge, and to educate citizens and government officials...
- LUNG DISEASE IN CHINESE TEXTILE WORKERSDavid Christiani; Fiscal Year: 2009..in a wide variety of occupational settings, including textiles, grain processing, wood processing, animal confinement, sewage treatment, biotechnology, and clean-up of environmental disasters such as Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- LUNG DISEASE IN CHINESE TEXTILE WORKERSDavid Christiani; Fiscal Year: 2007..control in a wide variety of occupational settings, including textiles, grain processing, wood processing, animal confinement, sewage treatment, biotechnology, and clean-up of environmental disasters such as Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- South Valley Partners for Environmental JusticeLAURO SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2007..two superfund sites and an extensive network of leaking underground storage sites, abandoned landfills, the metro sewage treatment facility, and extensive residential septic systems...
- ISEB-2004-Chicago International ConferenceAnanda Chakrabarty; Fiscal Year: 2004..are waste water treatments, clean energy, remediation of toxic dump sites or oil spill, municipal or industrial sewage or effluent treatments, are the major areas of concern or study...