Summary: Vaccines or candidate vaccines used to prevent and treat RABIES. The inactivated virus vaccine is used for preexposure immunization to persons at high risk of exposure, and in conjunction with rabies immunoglobulin, for postexposure prophylaxis.
Publications294 found, 100 shown here
- Immunogenicity of purified vero cell rabies vaccine used in the treatment of fox-bite victims in IndiaI S Matha
District Hospital, Nashik, India
Clin Infect Dis 40:611-3. 2005..Maximum antibody titers determined using a rapid fluorescent focus inhibition test were 25 IU, < or =90 days after the first vaccination and were 30 IU on day 1050 after booster vaccination...
- Re-evaluating the burden of rabies in Africa and AsiaDarryn L Knobel
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, Scotland
Bull World Health Organ 83:360-8. 2005..To quantify the public health and economic burden of endemic canine rabies in Africa and Asia...
- Overview, prevention, and treatment of rabiesAndrea Julia Nigg
Department of Pharmacy Services, University of Michigan Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:1182-95. 2009..The recently developed Milwaukee Protocol added induction of therapeutic coma to supportive care measures and antivirals; however, its use has shown inconsistent outcomes...
- Imported episodic rabies increases patient demand for and physician delivery of antirabies prophylaxisZélie Lardon
INSERM, U657 and Institut Pasteur, PhEMI, Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e723. 2010....
- Rabies trend in China (1990-2007) and post-exposure prophylaxis in the Guangdong provinceHan Si
1Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, PR China
BMC Infect Dis 8:113. 2008....
- Use of a reduced (4-dose) vaccine schedule for postexposure prophylaxis to prevent human rabies: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practicesCharles E Rupprecht
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases proposed, CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 59:1-9. 2010..Prompt rabies PEP combining wound care, infiltration of RIG into and around the wound, and multiple doses of rabies cell-culture vaccine continue to be highly effective in preventing human rabies...
- Rabies exposure in international travelers: do we miss the target?Philippe Gautret
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, AP HM, chemin des Bourrelys, 13915 Marseille, Cedex 20, France
Int J Infect Dis 14:e243-6. 2010..Little data exist about the spatial distribution of the risk for travelers of being injured by a potentially rabid animal...
- Safety and efficacy of the oral rabies vaccine SAG2 in raccoon dogsF Cliquet
AFSSA Nancy, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Management in Zoonoses Control, OIE Reference Laboratory for Rabies, Community Reference Laboratory for Rabies Serology, Domaine de Pixerecourt, Malzeville, France
Vaccine 24:4386-92. 2006..All 28 vaccinated animals developed high rabies neutralizing antibody titres. After virulent challenge, all 11 controls succumbed to rabies, whereas all 28 vaccinates survived...
- A quantitative indirect ELISA to monitor the effectiveness of rabies vaccination in domestic and wild carnivoresA Servat
AFSSA Nancy, Laboratoire d Etudes et de Recherches sur la Rage et la Pathologie des Animaux Sauvages, Domaine de Pixerecourt, B P 9 54220 Malzéville, France
J Immunol Methods 318:1-10. 2007....
- Human exposure to potential rabies virus transmitters in Olinda, State of Pernambuco, between 2002 and 2006Filipe Dantas-Torres
Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Recife, PE, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:617-21. 2007....
- Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of French travelers from Marseille regarding rabies risk and preventionMatthias Altmann
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
J Travel Med 16:107-11. 2009..To assess the awareness of the mode of rabies transmission, travel-associated rabies risk, and adequate preventive measures among French travelers...
- Rabies update for travel medicine advisorsHenry Wilde
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute, Thai Red Cross Society, and Department of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Infect Dis 37:96-100. 2003..Safe and effective tissue-culture rabies vaccines and human and equine rabies immunoglobulins (HRIG and ERIG) are not readily available in many regions where ..
- Transmission dynamics and economics of rabies control in dogs and humans in an African cityJ Zinsstag
Swiss Tropical Institute, PO Box, CH 4002 Basle, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14996-5001. 2009..Beyond a time-frame of 7 years, it appears to be more cost-effective to combine parenteral dog-vaccination campaigns with human PEP compared to human PEP alone...
- Oral vaccination of mice with adenoviral vectors is not impaired by preexisting immunity to the vaccine carrierZ Q Xiang
The Wistar Institute. Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Virol 77:10780-9. 2003..Oral priming-boosting regimens with either heterologous or homologous adenoviral vectors used sequentially increased both mucosal and systemic antibody titers to rabies virus [corrected]..
- Genetic characterisation of attenuated SAD rabies virus strains used for oral vaccination of wildlifeLutz Geue
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health, Institute of Epidemiology, WHO Collaborating Centre for Rabies Surveillance and Research, Wusterhausen, Germany
Vaccine 26:3227-35. 2008..Our data also supports the idea of a possible recombination that had occurred during the derivation of the European branch of SAD viruses. If confirmed, this recombination event would be the first one reported among RABV vaccine strains...
- Five-year safety and immunogenicity of GlaxoSmithKline's candidate malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02 following administration to semi-immune adult men living in a malaria-endemic region of The GambiaKalifa Bojang
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Banjul, The Gambia
Hum Vaccin 5:242-7. 2009..This study provides the first indication of the long-term safety and persistence of anti-CS and anti-HBs antibodies of the RTS,S vaccine candidate in combination with the novel AS02 Adjuvant System...
- Characterization of Russian rabies virus vaccine strain RV-97A Metlin
Department of Animal Diseases and Food Safety Research, Virology, Mustialankatu 3, FI 00790 Helsinki, Finland
Virus Res 132:242-7. 2008..It also contains several unique amino acid changes in known immunodominant sites of G and P proteins...
- Effective preexposure and postexposure prophylaxis of rabies with a highly attenuated recombinant rabies virusMilosz Faber
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11300-5. 2009....
- Cost-efficient vaccination of foxes (Vulpes vulpes) against rabies and the need for a new baiting strategyT Selhorst
Federal Research Centre for Virus Diseases of Animals, WHO Collaborating Centre for rabies in Central and Eastern Europe, Institute for Epidemiology, Seetr 55, D 16868, Wusterhausen, Germany
Prev Vet Med 51:95-109. 2001..We concluded that distribution of baits in June was optimal given that the durability of baits is above a threshold of 7 days...
- Acceptance of baits for delivery of oral rabies vaccine to raccoonsR C Rosatte
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Wildlife Research and Development Section, Rabies Research and Development Unit, Trent University, Science Complex, P O Box 4840, Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8N8, Canada
J Wildl Dis 37:730-9. 2001..Puncture and impact testing of blister packs in baits suggested that they would adequately serve as a vehicle to contain oral rabies vaccine for delivery to raccoons via baits...
- Experimental rabies vaccines for humansJames P McGettigan
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Jefferson Vaccine Center, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, 1020 Locust Street, JAH 466, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 9:1177-86. 2010..The usefulness of human rabies vaccines is hampered by high cost, complicated vaccination regimens and lack of compliance, especially in areas of ..
- Rabies in wildlife in LatviaSanita Vanaga
Department of Virology, National Veterinary Laboratory, Latvia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 3:117-24. 2003..To successfully eradicate the wildlife reservoirs, the national rabies eradication program must be continued, and it may need to be intensified...
- Evaluation of mass vaccination campaign coverage against rabies in dogs in TunisiaL Touihri
Laboratory of Immunology, Vaccinology and Molecular Genetics, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Tunis Belvedere, Tunisia
Zoonoses Public Health 58:110-8. 2011..The achieved vaccination coverage should be estimated after random visits in many parts of the country and by checking valid vaccination certificates...
- [The first case of rabies in Sweden in 26 years. Inform travellers abroad about risks and treatment following suspected infection]J Hojer
Infektionskliniken, Södersjukhuset Huddinge Universitetssjukhus
Lakartidningen 98:1216-20. 2001..Tourists must be informed of the vital importance of post-exposure prophylaxis after suspected infection...
- Rabies in Estonia: situation before and after the first campaigns of oral vaccination of wildlife with SAG2 vaccine baitEnel Niin
Veterinary and Food Board of Estonia VFB, Väike Paala Street 3, 11415 Tallinn, Estonia, France
Vaccine 26:3556-65. 2008..5%) occurred within the vaccinated area. Only 17 cases were diagnosed between 1 June and 31 December 2006. In 2007, by the end of May, only two rabies cases have been registered...
- Efficacy of oral vaccination in the final stage of fox rabies elimination in SwitzerlandP Bugnon
Institute of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, , Switzerland
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 51:433-7. 2004..The theoretical implication of the successful elimination of fox rabies in Switzerland in spite of a relatively low overall proportion of VNA-positive animals is discussed...
- Vaccinating the vampire bat Desmodus rotundus against rabiesM F Almeida
School of Medicine, University of São Paulo and LIM01 HCFMUSP, Brazil Laboratory of Rabies, Zoonosis Control Center of São Paulo City, Brazil
Virus Res 137:275-7. 2008..A dose of 10(5.0) MICLD(50) rabies virus was used by intramuscular route to challenge the bats postvaccination. The survival proportion in the three groups after the challenge was 71.4%, 71.4% and 100%...
- The global fight against rabiesTalha Burki
Lancet 372:1135-6. 2008
- Safety and immunogenicity of two freeze-dried Vero cell rabies vaccines for human use in post-exposure prophylaxisLing yun Wang
Beijing Center for Diseases Prevention and Control, Beijing 100013, China
Vaccine 29:2679-81. 2011..basis for human rabies vaccination in China, the safety and immunogenicity of two freeze-dried Vero cell rabies vaccines for human use were assessed...
- [Human rabies in France in 2004: update and management]H Peigue-Lafeuille
Service de Virologie, Faculte de Medecine, 28, Place Henri Dunant, 63001 Clermont Ferrand cedex, France
Med Mal Infect 34:551-60. 2004..People traveling abroad, particularly to Africa, are warned not to approach unknown animals (especially dogs) nor to try to import them, and are advised to comply with vaccinal recommendations for travelers, particularly for toddlers...
- Comparative immunogenicity and efficacy studies with oral rabies virus vaccine SAD P5/88 in raccoon dogs and red foxesP Schuster
Institute of Epidemiological Diagnostics, Federal Research Centre for Virus Diseases of Animals, Wusterhausen, Germany
Acta Vet Hung 49:285-90. 2001..Also all control foxes succumbed to rabies. Our findings demonstrate that SAD P5/88 is not only an effective vaccine for oral vaccination of foxes but also for that of raccoon dogs...
- Inter-laboratory trial to evaluate the reproducibility of a new ELISA to detect rabies antibodies in vaccinated domestic and wild carnivoresA Servat
WHO collabarating Centre for Research and Management in Zoonoses Control, Community Reference Institute for Rabies Serology, Technopole Agricole et Vétérinaire, BP 40009, 54220 Malzéville cedex, France
Biologicals 36:19-26. 2008....
- Characterization of human rabies virus vaccine strain in ChinaJialiang Du
Department of Viral Encephalitis, Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention and State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Xuan Wu District, Beijing, China
Virus Res 135:260-6. 2008..In addition, some mutations and new functional regions were discovered that are presumed crucial to the function of leader region and L protein. There is an equal role for all five genes in the phylogenetics of rabies virus...
- Efficacy and bait acceptance of vaccinia vectored rabies glycoprotein vaccine in captive foxes (Vulpes vulpes), raccoon dogs (Nyctereutes procyonoides) and dogs (Canis familiaris)F Cliquet
AFSSA NANCY Laboratory of Research on Rabies and Wildlife Diseases, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Management in Zoonoses Control, Technopole Agricole et Vétérinaire, B P 40009, 54220 Malzeville, France
Vaccine 26:4627-38. 2008..The square RABORAL V-RG bait, however, was consumed more effectively than the rectangular RABORAL V-RG bait by the raccoon dog...
- Rabies intradermal post-exposure vaccination of humans using reconstituted and stored vaccineThavachai Kamoltham
Provincial Health Department, Petchabun Province, Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute of the Thai Red Cross Society, Department of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Vaccine 20:3272-6. 2002..The modified TRC-ID method induces adequate levels of neutralizing antibodies, protects humans bitten by rabid dogs and results in significant savings in vaccine and travel costs...
- Factors influencing the antibody response of dogs vaccinated against rabiesLorna J Kennedy
Centre for Integrated Genomic Medical Research, University of Manchester, Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Vaccine 25:8500-7. 2007....
- Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of rabies post-exposure prophylaxis: a case study in TanzaniaEunha Shim
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Vaccine 27:7167-72. 2009..Moreover, PEP remains "very cost-effective" provided that at least 1% of doses are administered to people who were actually exposed to rabies...
- Ovine anti-rabies antibody production and evaluationel Rashdy M Redwan
Protein Research Department, Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology Research Institute, Mubarak City for Scientific Research and Technology Applications, Alexandria, Egypt
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 32:9-19. 2009..Sheep's IgG has low immunogenic effect than human and horse antibodies when injected into the mouse. Pure concentrated ovine antibody may serve as a possible alternative to currently available anti-rabies human or equine immunoglobulin...
- Comparison of saftey and immunogenicity of purified chick embryo cell rabies vaccine (PCECV) and purified vero cell rabies vaccine (PVRV) using the Thai Red Cross intradermal regimen at a dose of 0.1 MLShampur N Madhusudana
Department of Neurovirology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences NIMHANS, Bangalore, India
Hum Vaccin 2:200-4. 2006Intradermal (ID) vaccination with modern cell culture rabies vaccines is a means to significantly reduce the cost of post-exposure prophylaxis as compared to intramuscular vaccination...
- Rapid clearance of SAG-2 rabies virus from dogs after oral vaccinationL A Orciari
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Rabies Section, Mailstop G 33, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 19:4511-8. 2001..Attenuated rabies viruses, such as SAG-2, replicate in local tissues of the oral cavity and can be cleared relatively quickly, without viral excretion, leading to protective immunity against the disease...
- Comparison of antibody responses after vaccination with two inactivated rabies vaccinesJ M Minke
Merial SAS, 254, rue Marcel Merieux, 69007 Lyon, France
Vet Microbiol 133:283-6. 2009..and subcutaneously vaccinated with a single dose of one of two commercially available monovalent inactivated rabies vaccines: RABISIN (Merial, France) (group A) and NOBIVAC Rabies (Intervet International) (group B)...
- Factors affecting the serological response of dogs and cats to rabies vaccinationK L Mansfield
Rabies Research and Diagnostic Group, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Weybridge, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Surrey KT15 3NB
Vet Rec 154:423-6. 2004..In dogs, all these factors, except sex, had highly significant (P < 0.001) effects on the test failure rate, and in cats all the factors had a significant effect (P < 0.05)...
- Landscape genetics of raccoons (Procyon lotor) associated with ridges and valleys of Pennsylvania: implications for oral rabies vaccination programsJ Jeffrey Root
United States Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services, National Wildlife Research Center, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:583-8. 2009..These results may be of value for future ORV efforts in Pennsylvania and other eastern states with similar landscapes...
- Peptide mimotopes of rabies virus glycoprotein with immunogenic activityMehdi Houimel
Laboratoire d Immunopathologie Vaccinologie et Génétique Moléculaire, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Tunis Belvedere, Tunisia
Vaccine 27:4648-55. 2009..The RABVG site III mimotope (C-KRDSTW-C) would provide a new and promising concept for the development of rabies vaccine...
- Rabies virus pathogenesis in relationship to intervention with inactivated and attenuated rabies vaccinesRichard Franka
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Vaccine 27:7149-55. 2009..Reduced vaccine schedules provided efficacious intervention, regardless of the total number of vaccine doses administered...
- Postexposure rabies prophylaxis completed in 1 week: preliminary studyPrapimporn Shantavasinkul
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute, The Thai Red Cross Society World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Research on Rabies Pathogenesis and Prevention, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Infect Dis 50:56-60. 2010..Reducing the number of clinic visits would not only reduce costs for the patient but may also help increase compliance to receive complete PEP. We made an effort to develop PEP completed in 1 week...
- Investigating antibody neutralization of lyssaviruses using lentiviral pseudotypes: a cross-species comparisonEdward Wright
MRC UCL Centre for Medical Molecular Virology, Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
J Gen Virol 89:2204-13. 2008..This robust microassay will improve our understanding of the protective humoral immunity that current rabies vaccines confer against emerging lyssaviruses, and will be applicable to surveillance studies, thus helping to control ..
- Transmission dynamics and prospects for the elimination of canine rabiesKatie Hampson
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA
PLoS Biol 7:e53. 2009..Nonetheless our analyses suggest that with sustained, international commitment, global elimination of rabies from domestic dog populations, the most dangerous vector to humans, is a realistic goal...
- Antibody response of patients after postexposure rabies vaccination with small intradermal doses of purified chick embryo cell vaccine or purified Vero cell rabies vaccineD J Briggs
College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, USA
Bull World Health Organ 78:693-8. 2000..introduction of tissue culture vaccines for rabies has dramatically improved the immunogenicity and safety of rabies vaccines, they are often prohibitively expensive for developing countries...
- Human benefits of animal interventions for zoonosis controlJakob Zinsstag
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Emerg Infect Dis 13:527-31. 2007....
- Evaluation of state-provided postexposure prophylaxis against rabies in FloridaLisa Conti
Florida Department of Health, Tallahassee, USA
South Med J 95:225-30. 2002..Inappropriate administration of PEP and cost can be reduced by establishing a system of after-the-fact review of every episode of PEP with timely feedback to providers...
- Prevention of rabies virus infection in dogs by a recombinant canine adenovirus type-2 encoding the rabies virus glycoproteinRongliang Hu
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Veterinary Institute, Academy of Military Medical Science, 1068 Qinglong Road, Changchun, Jilin 130062, PR China
Microbes Infect 8:1090-7. 2006..Although several genetically engineered rabies vaccines have been developed, few have been licensed for use, principally due to biosafety concerns or due to poor ..
- Human rabies in ChinaYong-Zhen Zhang
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1983-4. 2005
- Multicenter comparative study of a new ELISA, PLATELIA RABIES II, for the detection and titration of anti-rabies glycoprotein antibodies and comparison with the rapid fluorescent focus inhibition test (RFFIT) on human samples from vaccinated and non-vacciM Feyssaguet
Bio Rad, 3 boulevard Raymond Poincaré, 92430 Marnes La Coquette, France
Vaccine 25:2244-51. 2007..4%. This study indicates that this new ELISA test is as sensitive and specific as the current standardized reference method. The method is simple, safe, rapid and can be considered as a useful alternative to the neutralisation test...
- A dog rabies vaccination campaign in rural Africa: impact on the incidence of dog rabies and human dog-bite injuriesS Cleaveland
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, UK
Vaccine 21:1965-73. 2003Despite the availability of safe and effective rabies vaccines, the incidence of dog rabies has been increasing throughout much of sub-Saharan Africa...
- Cost of distributing oral raccoon-variant rabies vaccine in Ohio: 1997-2000Pirouz Foroutan
Department of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, The Ohio State University. Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 220:27-32. 2002..In addition, accurately measured distribution costs can be used to perform an economic cost-benefit analysis for an ORV program...
- An epidemiological description of human-hazardous incidents caused by nonhematophagous bats in Brazil, 2002-2003Julia C M Brazuna
Center for Zoonosis Control, Public Health Department of the Municipality of Campo Grande, Av Filinto Muller, 1601, Campo Grande, MS, Brazil
Prev Vet Med 77:137-44. 2006..The results revealed the need for improving the current human rabies control program in order to reduce noncompliance rates and to decrease the occurrence of flaws in patients' records and in the provision of health care...
- Potential cost savings with terrestrial rabies controlSergio Recuenco
Zoonoses Program, Bureau of Communicable Diseases Control, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237, USA
BMC Public Health 7:47. 2007..As an initial quantification of the potential cost savings for a control program, the collection of selected rabies cost data was pilot tested for five counties in New York State (NYS) in a three-year period...
- Human rabies exposures and postexposure prophylaxis in South Carolina, 1993-2002Jennifer McQuiston
Angell Animal Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Public Health Rep 121:197-202. 2006..An accurate estimation of the incidence of PEP and an understanding of rabies epidemiology is important at the state level to allow for better public health planning...
- Canine rabies ecology in southern AfricaJohn Bingham
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation Australian Animal Health Laboratory, Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1337-42. 2005..The implications for understanding rabies ecology and control are reviewed, as are previous studies on rabies ecology in African canids...
- Rabies surveillance in the United States during 2003John W Krebs
Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 225:1837-49. 2004..The California and Puerto Rico cases were the result of infections with bat and dog/mongoose rabies virus variants, respectively, and each patient had a history of a bite...
- Comparative evaluation of specific ELISA and RFFIT antibody assays in the assessment of dog immunity against rabiesC Bahloul
Laboratory of Immunology, Vaccinology and Molecular Genetics, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Tunisia
Epidemiol Infect 133:749-57. 2005..A seroconversion threshold of 0.5 IU/ml should be cautiously considered and a higher threshold (1 IU/ml) could be more appropriate in the evaluation of rabies immunity in the field in order to marginalize the interfering factors...
- Rabies and other lyssavirus diseasesM J Warrell
Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Lancet 363:959-69. 2004..Meanwhile, enormous challenges remain in the control of animal rabies and the provision of accessible, appropriate human prophylaxis worldwide...
- Canine vaccination--providing broader benefits for disease controlSarah Cleaveland
Wildlife and Emerging Disease Section, Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, UK
Vet Microbiol 117:43-50. 2006..The tools and delivery systems are all available--all that is needed is the political will to free the world from the ongoing tragedy of these diseases...
- Canine ecology and socioeconomic factors associated with dogs unvaccinated against rabies in a Mexican city across the US-Mexico borderMaricela Flores-Ibarra
Instituto de Investigaciones en Ciencias Veterinarias, , , CP 21100 Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
Prev Vet Med 62:79-87. 2004..Crossbred dogs had 1.5 times higher risk of nonvaccination compared to purebred dogs. The canine-ecology structure is similar to that in regions were rabies is endemic...
- Vaccination with rabies to study the humoral and cellular immune response to a T-cell dependent neoantigen in manD M C Brinkman
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Immunol 23:528-38. 2003..Five patients diagnosed with a combined immunodeficiency were vaccinated using the same protocol and showed a number of abnormalities, either in the humoral or the cellular immune response to the rabies neoantigen...
- Oral vaccination of dogs with recombinant rabies virus vaccinesCharles E Rupprecht
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Rabies Unit, Mailstop G 33, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virus Res 111:101-5. 2005....
- Rabies postexposure prophylaxis, New York, 1995-2000Jesse D Blanton
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1921-7. 2005..Bats accounted for 30% of exposures, more than any other group of animals; consequently, bats have replaced raccoons as the leading rabies exposure source to humans in this area...
- Rabies and rabies-related viruses: a modern perspective on an ancient diseaseF Cliquet
Laboratory of Research on Rabies and Wildlife Diseases, OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health) Reference Laboratory for Rabies, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Research and Management in Zoonoses Control, , France
Rev Sci Tech 23:625-42. 2004..Rabies is still a significant public health problem, particularly in areas where canine rabies is still endemic, such as countries in Africa and Asia...
- Human rabies prophylactics: the French experienceY Rotivel
Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du, Docteur Roux, France
Vaccine 21:710-5. 2003..Data on rabies cases in animals, rabies cases in humans, PET, surveillance of exposures to baits and oral vaccines for the wild fauna, and exposures outside the French territory will be successively considered and discussed...
- Kinetics of humoral immune response after rabies VR-G oral vaccination of captive fox cubs (Vulpes vulpes) with or without maternally derived antibodies against the vaccineE Blasco
Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Aliments, AFSSA Nancy, Domaine de Pixerecourt, B P 9, F 54220, Malzeville, France
Vaccine 19:4805-15. 2001..Provided a vaccine-bait suitable for such young cubs exists, oral vaccination at den entrances with VR-G is a feasibility...
- [An epidemiological study of rabies virus in domestic dogs, cats and wildlife and the immunogenicity study for rabies vaccines derived from different cell cultured virus strains]Guan mu Dong
National Institute for the Control of Parmaceutical and Biological Products, Beijing 100050, China
Bing Du Xue Bao 23:417-23. 2007..The rabies vaccines which prepared from aG and CTN strains have already been produced successfully in China...
- Rabies postexposure prophylaxis, Marseille, France, 1994-2005Philippe Gautret
Hopital Nord, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Marseille, France
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1452-4. 2008..Most injuries were associated with indigenous dogs; rabies vaccine was overprescribed. We suggest that the World Health Organization guidelines be adapted for countries free of terrestrial mammal rabies...
- Rabies control in rural Africa: evaluating strategies for effective domestic dog vaccinationM Kaare
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, UK
Vaccine 27:152-60. 2009..These results suggest that rabies control is logistically feasible across most of the developing world and that the annual costs of effective vaccination campaigns in Tanzania are likely to be affordable...
- Inferior rabies vaccine quality and low immunization coverage in dogs ( Canis familiaris) in ChinaR L Hu
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Veterinary Institute, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Changchun, China
Epidemiol Infect 136:1556-63. 2008..Results also indicated that the quality of rabies vaccines for animal use did not satisfy all of the requirements for an efficacious vaccine capable of fully ..
- Failure of multiple-site intradermal postexposure rabies vaccination in patients with human immunodeficiency virus with low CD4+ T lymphocyte countsT Tantawichien
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute, Thai Red Cross Society, and Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Infect Dis 33:E122-4. 2001....
- Postexposure treatment and animal rabies, Ontario, 1958-2000Christopher P Nunan
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 8:214-7. 2002..Introducing HDCV led to an immediate doubling of treatments. Both animal rabies and human treatments declined rapidly after the vaccination program was introduced, but human treatments have leveled off at approximately 1,000 per year...
- Owner valuation of rabies vaccination of dogs, ChadSalome Dürr
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1650-2. 2008..Owners would pay approximately 400-700 CFA francs (US $0.78-$1.36)/animal. To vaccinate >or=70% of dogs, and thus interrupt rabies transmission, health officials should substantially subsidize these vaccinations...
- Cost effectiveness of rabies post exposure prophylaxis in the United StatesPraveen Dhankhar
Division of Emerging Infections and Surveillance Services, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, MS D59, Atlanta, GA 30333, United States
Vaccine 26:4251-5. 2008..The uncertainty caused by the wide range of cost effectiveness can only be resolved through analysis of data describing rabies transmission risk in a variety of scenarios...
- Use of rabies vaccines after reconstitution and storagePakamatz Khawplod
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institutes, Thai Red Cross Society and Department of Medicine, King Chulalongkorn University Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Infect Dis 34:404-6. 2002..The 90-day booster dose mandated in the current intradermal regimen may not be necessary if the day 28 dose is doubled, eliminating 1 clinic visit at no additional cost in vaccine...
- Rabies surveillance in the United States during 2007Jesse D Blanton
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 233:884-97. 2008..One human rabies case was reported from Minnesota during 2007. Although typing of the rabies virus variant in this case was not possible, an investigation of this case indicated a bat as the most likely source of exposure...
- Elimination of rabies from red foxes in eastern OntarioC D MacInnes
Rabies Unit, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Peterborough, Canada
J Wildl Dis 37:119-32. 2001..Persistence of terrestrial rabies, and ease of elimination, appeared to vary geographically, and probably over time. Ecological factors which enhance or reduce the long term survival of rabies in wild foxes are poorly understood...
- Economics of human and canine rabies elimination: guidelines for programme orientationK Bögel
Division of Communicable Diseases, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 68:281-91. 1990..On the other hand, for obvious ethical reasons, if attention is paid to improvement of post-exposure treatment, then the national authorities should consider a planning horizon close to 15 years...
- Direct and indirect costs of rabies exposure: a retrospective study in southern California (1998-2002)Stephanie A Shwiff
National Wildlife Research Center, Wildlife Services, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Fort Collins, CO 80521 2154, USA
J Wildl Dis 43:251-7. 2007..About one third of the total cost for suspected human rabies exposure was attributed to indirect costs (e.g., lost wages, transportation, and day-care fees), most of which were not reimbursable to the patient...
- Human rabies postexposure prophylaxis during a raccoon rabies epizootic in New York, 1993 and 1994J D Wyatt
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, New York 14642, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 5:415-23. 1999..g., raccoon saliva on pet dogs' and cats' fur) should also be considered...
- The elimination of raccoon rabies from Wolfe Island, Ontario: animal density and movementsRick Rosatte
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Rabies Research and Development Unit, Trent University, DNA Building, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
J Wildl Dis 43:242-50. 2007..No cases have been detected since late January 2000 (to February 2007)...
- Public health impact of reemergence of rabies, New YorkHwa Gan H Chang
New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York 12237, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:909-13. 2002..To reduce rabid animals, exposures, and costs, oral vaccination of wildlife should also be considered...
- Experimental immunization of cats with a recombinant rabies-canine adenovirus vaccine elicits a long-lasting neutralizing antibody response against rabiesR L Hu
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Veterinary Institute, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, 1068 Qinglong Road, Changchun 130062, PR China
Vaccine 25:5301-7. 2007..During the past decade, human rabies caused by cats has ranked the second highest in China. Several recombinant rabies vaccines have been developed for dogs. However, seldom have these vaccines been assessed or used in cats...
- A review of the economics of the prevention and control of rabies. Part 2: Rabies in dogs, livestock and wildlifeM I Meltzer
National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 14:481-98. 1998..The economics of using oral vaccines to prevent raccoon rabies invading uninfected areas has yet to be examined...
- Failures of post-exposure rabies prophylaxisHenry Wilde
Infectious Disease Unit, Department of Medicine, Division of Research and Development, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Rama IV Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Vaccine 25:7605-9. 2007..True failures, where all was done according to WHO recommendations, are fortunately extremely rare. Presented are seven such deaths. Other examples of common management deviations that resulted in deaths are also shown...
- Dog ecology and demography information to support the planning of rabies control in Machakos District, KenyaP Kitala
Department of Public Health, Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Nairobi, PO Box 29053, Nairobi, Kenya
Acta Trop 78:217-30. 2001..The main implication for rabies control is that adequate vaccination coverage is unlikely to be achieved, even under optimal delivery, using the current strategy of annual vaccination of dogs older than 3 months...
- Assessing the costs and benefits of an oral vaccine for raccoon rabies: a possible modelM I Meltzer
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 2:343-9. 1996....
- Efficacy of rabies biologics against new lyssaviruses from EurasiaCathleen A Hanlon
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Rabies Team, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virus Res 111:44-54. 2005..The potential impact of these new lyssaviruses on human and domestic animal health and the impact on the putative bat reservoir populations will require further field and laboratory investigation...
- Bilateral neuro-retinitis following chick embryo cell anti-rabies vaccination--a case reportRohit Saxena
Dr R P Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
BMC Ophthalmol 5:20. 2005..The Optic nerve is rarely involved after sheep brain anti-rabies vaccination in the form of retrobulbar neuritis or papillitis. Bilateral neuroretinitis after chick embryo cell antirabies vaccination has not been reported...
- Rabies control in South and Southeast AsiaHenry Wilde
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute, Thai Red Cross Society, WHO Collaborating Center and Department of Medicine, King Chulalongkorn University Hospital, 1871 Rama IV Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Vaccine 23:2284-9. 2005..There have been many new developments since publication of the last WHO rabies expert committee report in 1992 (new version in print)] and we will address those that have practical applicability...
- Prophylaxis against rabiesHenry Wilde
N Engl J Med 352:1608-10; author reply 1608-10. 2005
- Duration of immunity: an anamnestic response 14 years after rabies vaccination with purified chick embryo cell rabies vaccineClaudius Malerczyk
Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Novartis Vaccines, Marburg, Germany
J Travel Med 14:63-4. 2007
- An immunogenicity, safety and post-marketing surveillance of a novel adsorbed human diploid cell rabies vaccine (Rabivax) in Indian subjectsM K Sudarshan
Department of Community Medicine and Rabies, Epidemiology Unit, Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore, India
Hum Vaccin 4:275-9. 2008..4%), swelling with induration (2.8%), fever and headache (1.4%). No serious adverse event was reported from the studies. In conclusion, Rabivax (adsorbed) is an immunogenic, safe and efficacious vaccine for rabies prophylaxis in humans...
- One-time intradermal DNA vaccination in ear pinnae one year prior to infection protects dogs against rabies virusDonald L Lodmell
Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 903 South Fourth Street, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
Vaccine 24:412-6. 2006..m. with DNA that did not express the rabies virus G. The data suggest that a one-time i.d. rabies DNA vaccination into ear pinnae offers a new approach to facilitate control of endemic canine rabies in developing countries...
- Generation and evaluation of a recombinant modified vaccinia virus Ankara vaccine for rabiesJacqueline Weyer
University of Pretoria, Department of Microbiology and Plant Pathology, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Vaccine 25:4213-22. 2007..Recombinant MVA boosted humoral immune responses in these animals when administered peripherally, but not when administered orally...
- [Rabies virus antibody titers in dogs in Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul State, during the anti-rabies campaign, 2003]Leonardo Rigo
Secretaria Municipal de Saude de Campo Grande, Campo Grande, MS, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:553-5. 2006..It was found that 51.1% of the animals did not have protective titers. No correlation was found between vaccine application or multiple vaccinations and higher immune titers...
- MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF RABIESBernhard Dietzschold; Fiscal Year: 2006..from these studies will have practical implications for the development of safer and more efficacious live rabies vaccines, and will provide further basic information on rabies virus pathogenicity...
- Second Generation Rabies VaccinesJames McGettigan; Fiscal Year: 2007..of one dose of passive immunization (rabies immune globulin) along with five active immunizations with rabies vaccines. We hypothesize that replication-deficient RVs will make excellent rabies PEPs...
- Development of a vaccine for murine Lyme diseaseLinden Hu; Fiscal Year: 2006..burgdorferi to mice and in sterilizing infection in infected ticks. ..
- POTENT RABIES VACCINES FOR FREE RANGING CARNIVORESKOON PAK; Fiscal Year: 2003..II objectives of this research project are to extend safety and efficacy testing of these newly developed rabies vaccines in laboratory rodents and target animals (raccoon and skunk), and to choose a strain for which a master seed ..
- Inosine in the over-the-counter treatment of MSDOUGLAS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Passive Immunization for Neurotropic Virus InfectionDOUGLAS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ultimate aim of this project is to provide a protocol whereby exposure to neurotrophic viruses can be treated by passive immunization when contact with the agent is imminent or has recently occurred. ..
- Passive Immunization for Neurotropic Virus InfectionDOUGLAS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ultimate aim of this project is to provide a protocol whereby exposure to neurotrophic viruses can be treated by passive immunization when contact with the agent is imminent or has recently occurred. ..
- Maintenance of Blood-Brain Barrier Integrity as a Neurotropic Virus ImmunizaitonDOUGLAS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Immunohistochemical, cellular and molecular techniques will be used to characterize the activity of CD4 T cells, vascular endothelial cells, and BBB-associated astrocytes as well as the changes that occur at the BBB during infection. ..
- Uric Acid: An Alternative Approach to the Prevention of Spinal Cord Injury?DOUGLAS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this proposal we will use a model system to determine whether raising uric acid levels may provide a safe, natural means of preventing secondary nerve cell death and improving the outcome of spinal cord injury. ..
- Developing Avirulent Rabies Virus VaccinesZhen F Fu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such characterists will make these recombinant RV vaccines particularly suitable for post-exposure treatment. ..
- Immunologic Determinants of Schistosoma-mediated Resistance to Malaria in HumansKirsten E Lyke; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- CORE--VECTORJaap Goudsmit; Fiscal Year: 2005..To coordinate preclinical toxicology studies under GLP conditions and prepare IND applications to support the initiation of phase I and phase II clinical trials...
- Oral Vaccine to Inhalation RabiesHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2006..In aim 2, the AdC68rab.gp vaccine will be tested in a non-human primate rabies virus challenge model. ..
- Replication-deficient rabies vectors against rabies infectionJames P McGettigan; Fiscal Year: 2010..of one dose of passive immunization (rabies immune globulin) along with five active immunizations with rabies vaccines. The experiments in this proposal are designed to test the hypothesis that replication-deficient RVs would ..
- Genetic Vaccine to Rabies VirusHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2006..In aim 3, we are proposing experiments in non-human primates to test the vaccine for efficacy in pre- and post-challenge vaccination experiments with and without concomitant application of RIG. ..
- Killed Rhabdoviruses as Novel Anthrax VaccinesMatthias Schnell; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly, Anthrax challenge experiments of the most promising constructs in mice will indicate if the inducted responses are protective against Anthrax infection. ..
- A novel rhabdovirus-based anthrax vaccineMatthias Schnell; Fiscal Year: 2007..The general concept, if proven successful, may also lead to a general technique for developing more effective vaccines for other important pathogens. ..
- Immune Responses To AAV-Mediated FIX Gene TransferHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2007..The projects will be supported by an Administrative Core, which will provide the needed oversight, and a Vector Core, which will provide the investigators with purified and quality controlled vectors. ..
- Astrocytes and Restricted HIV-1 ReplicationMatthias Schnell; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, these complementary approaches will be utilized to analyze, on molecular levels, the mechanisms of HIV-1 reservoirs and persistence in human astrocytes. ..
- EVOLUTION OF IMMUNE RECOGNITION AND EVASIONAustin Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- EVOLUTION OF IMMUNE RECOGNITION AND EVASIONAustin Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CANCER VACCINE TO P53Hildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Prime/Boost Immunization against HIV-1 by Viral VectorsMatthias Schnell; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- RABIES VIRUS-BASED VECTORS AS AN HIV-1 VACCINEMatthias Schnell; Fiscal Year: 2003..After detectable immunity is induced by the vaccine, the immunized monkeys will be challenged intravaginally with SIVmac251. Thus, complementary approaches will be used in vaccine development. ..
- Developing Avirulent Rabies Virus VaccinesZhen Fu; Fiscal Year: 2004..If the further attenuated rabies viruses no longer causes diseases in animals at any age and by any route of inoculation, yet remain immunoqenic, they can be developed as modified live rabies vaccines for humans and animals.
- Immunologic interaction of schistomiasis & acute malariaKirsten Lyke; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Prime-boost regimens for adenoviral vaccines to HIV-1Hildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- EVOLUTION OF IMMUNE RECOGNITION AND EVASIONAustin Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, by increasing our understanding of the population diversity and evolutionary history of human immune system genes, this research will enhance our knowledge of human immune function in health and disease. ..
- EVOLUTION OF IMMUNE RECOGNITION AND EVASIONAustin L Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, by increasing our understanding of the population diversity and evolutionary history of human immune system genes, this research will enhance our knowledge of human immune function in health and disease. ..
- EVOLUTION OF IMMUNE RECOGNITION AND EVASIONAustin Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, by increasing our understanding of the population diversity and evolutionary history of human immune system genes, this research will enhance our knowledge of human immune function in health and disease. ..
- Gene Duplication and Genome EvolutionAustin Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2004..5) Examining the role of transposable elements in duplication of genomic segments by testing for nonrandom association between these elements and putatively duplicated blocks in the yeast genome. ..
- Developing Avirulent Rabies Virus VaccinesZhen Fu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such characterists will make these recombinant RV vaccines particularly suitable for post-exposure treatment. ..
- E1-deleted adenoviral vectors for oral immunizationHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2004..In aim 4, we will determine the tropism of the simian and human Ad recombinants upon oral application emphasizing localization of and cytokine production by transduced antigen presenting cells (APCs). ..
- Mucosal Vaccine to HIV-1 GagHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2002..In the third aim, we will test a prime-boost regimen using DNA vaccines, expressing Gag for systemic priming combined with the adenoviral recombinants for systemic or intranasal booster immunization. ..
- CANCER VACCINES TO HPV-16 ASSOCIATED TUMORHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2001..In case the applicant's hypothesis is correct, data gathered within the realm of this application will serve as the basis for a clinical Phase I trial. ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN THE IMMUNOBIOLOGY OF VACCINESHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2007..All of the course work will take place at The Wistar Institute. ..
- HIV-1 Vaccine-Induced CD8+ Memory CellsHildegund Ertl; Fiscal Year: 2003..The role of the two different memory CD8+ T cell populations in limiting propagation of the vaccinia gag recombinant virus will be tested by adoptive transfer experiments. ..