Summary: Drugs designed to treat inflammation of the nasal passages, generally the result of an infection (more often than not the common cold) or an allergy related condition, e.g., hay fever. The inflammation involves swelling of the mucous membrane that lines the nasal passages and results in inordinate mucus production. The primary class of nasal decongestants are vasoconstrictor agents. (From PharmAssist, The Family Guide to Health and Medicine, 1993)
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- [Ultrastructural changes in human nasal mucosa in rhinitis medicamentosa]S Knipping
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg
HNO 54:742-8. 2006..Nasal obstruction is caused by rebound swelling when the decongestive effect has disappeared. The patient starts using nasal drops more frequently as a result of tachyphylaxis...
- Nasal decongestants in the treatment of chronic nasal obstruction: efficacy and safety of useDesiderio Passali
Chief Professor, ENT Clinic University of Siena Medical School, Policlinico Le Scotte Viale Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
Expert Opin Drug Saf 5:783-90. 2006b>Nasal decongestants are the most powerful drugs in the reduction of nasal obstruction. Despite their large use, local and systemic adverse reactions are frequent...
- Relationship between rhinitis duration and response to nasal decongestion testGiorgio Ciprandi
Department of Internal Medicine, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Laryngoscope 118:1139-41. 2008..The purpose of the study was to evaluate the impact of the duration of rhinitis on the response to nasal decongestion test in a cohort of patients with PER...
- The development and application of a system for simultaneously determining anti-infectives and nasal decongestants using on-line solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryGhazanfar Ali Khan
Department of Chemistry, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
J Pharm Biomed Anal 66:24-32. 2012A method for the simultaneous analysis of antibiotics, antiviral and nasal decongestants in treated sewage effluent and surface water has been developed and validated...
- Do topical nasal decongestants affect polyps?Leif Johansson
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Central Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 126:288-90. 2006..Decongestion is therefore recommended prior to nasal endoscopy, especially in polyp diagnosis, as it does not artificially change the size of the polyps...
- Comparison of the clinical efficacy of standard and mucoadhesive-based nasal decongestantsChristo T Tzachev
Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Br J Clin Pharmacol 53:107-9. 2002..To compare two xylometazoline 0.1% preparations: reference commercial solution (RS) and test mucoadhesive solution (TS)...
- alpha2-adrenoceptor agonists as nasal decongestantsM R Corboz
Pulmonary and Peripheral Neurobiology, Schering Plough Research Institute, 2015 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, NJ 07033, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:149-56. 2007....
- Effect of treating severe nasal obstruction on the severity of obstructive sleep apnoeaH A McLean
Dept of Medicine, Queen s University, 102 Stuart Street, Kingston, ON K7L 3N6, Canada
Eur Respir J 25:521-7. 2005..In conclusion, treating nasal obstruction reduced mouth breathing during sleep and obstructive sleep apnoea severity, but did not effectively alleviate obstructive sleep apnoea...
- Simultaneous analysis of the H1-antihistamine acrivastine and the decongestant pseudoephedrine hydrochloride by high-performance liquid chromatographyXiaochen Gu
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba, 50 Sifton Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
J Pharm Biomed Anal 37:663-7. 2005..This method was used to assay various samples from studies of the commercial preparation Semprex-D capsules. The method was found to be accurate, specific, selective, rapid, and versatile for use in routine quality control analyses...
- Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in elite athletes: optimal management for quality of life and performanceConstance H Katelaris
Institute of Immunology and Allergy Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead 2145, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Sports Med 33:401-6. 2003..Since avoidance strategies are rarely practical for the athlete, consideration should be given to strategies such as immunotherapy, where long-term benefit is possible...
- Improving the management and quality of life of patients with allergic rhinitisVictoria Carr
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London
Prof Nurse 20:31-3. 2005..This paper looks at the main causes of allergic rhinitis and its symptoms, and describes the available treatments to manage the conditon...
- Pediatric allergic rhinitis: treatmentLien Lai
Department of Medicine, Creighton University Medical Center, 601 North 30th Street, Suite 5850, Omaha, NE 68131 USA
Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 25:283-99, vi. 2005..Immunotherapy generally is reserved for patients unresponsive to therapy or unable to take medications...
- Efficacy and safety of an oral formulation of cetirizine and prolonged-release pseudoephedrine versus budesonide nasal spray in the management of nasal congestion in allergic rhinitisUrsula P Zieglmayer
ENT University Clinic Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Treat Respir Med 4:283-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the decongestant properties and tolerability of oral cetirizine and pseudoephedrine in a prolonged release form with those of nasal (aqueous spray) budesonide...
- The value of Ems Mineral Salts in the treatment of rhinosinusitis in children. Prospective study on the efficacy of mineral salts versus xylometazoline in the topical nasal treatment of childrenO Michel
Klinik u Poliklinik für HNO Heilkunde, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Kerpenerstr 62, 50924 Köln, Germany
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1359-65. 2005..d.) with either isotonic Ems Mineral Salts (EMS) solution (Siemens & Co., Bad Ems, Germany) or xylometazoline solution (0.05%) was tested in children (n=66) aged 2-6 years...
- Evaluation of protective and therapeutic effects of dexpanthenol on nasal decongestants and preservatives: results of cytotoxic studies in vitroNorbert Klöcker
AUDIT Institute for Medical Services and Quality Assurance, Taunusstein, Germany
Am J Rhinol 18:315-20. 2004More than 600 million units of nasal decongestants are sold worldwide annually...
- [The tolerability of nasal drugs with special regard to preservatives and physico-chemical parameters]Th Verse
Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik Mannheim
Laryngorhinootologie 82:782-9. 2003..New pharmaceutical formulations for better tolerable nasal sprays are now possible and consequently reformulations introduced to the market. Therefore, a representative and systematic overview on comparable products is mandatory...
- [Tolerance and effectiveness of oxymetazoline and xylometazoline in treatment of acute rhinitis]M Dorn
Casore del Monte, Toscana Italien
HNO 51:794-9. 2003..Local alpha-sympathomimetics in hydrous solution are well known in the therapy of acute rhinitis and sinusitis. However, added preservatives like benzalkonium chloride have a negative effect on compatibility...
- Thunderclap headache and reversible segmental cerebral vasoconstriction associated with use of oxymetazoline nasal sprayAndrea H S Loewen
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta
CMAJ 171:593-4. 2004Oxymetazoline is a sympathomimetic amine found in over-the-counter nasal decongestants. We report a case of chronic use of nasal oxymetazoline associated with thunderclap headache due to reversible segmental intracranial vasoconstriction.
- [Pathologic conditions associated with drug-induced rhinitis]Dusanka Milosević
Zvezdara Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Centre, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 132:14-7. 2004..In conclusion, the most common pathological conditions for developing rhinitis medicamentosa were chronic inflammatory and structural diseases manifested by permanent nasal obstruction as well as acute upper respiratory infections are...
- Control of nasal obstruction in perennial allergic rhinitisDe Yun Wang
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 4:165-70. 2004..Nasal obstruction in persistent allergic rhinitis must be treated the year round, and therefore treatment choices, costs, and compliance all become important public health issues...
- Intranasal drug delivery: an alternative to intravenous administration in selected emergency casesTimothy R Wolfe
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
J Emerg Nurs 30:141-7. 2004
- Characterization of nasal obstruction in the allergic guinea pig using the forced oscillation methodRobbie L McLeod
Department of Allergy, Schering Plough Research Institute, 2015 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, NJ 07033 0539, USA
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 48:153-9. 2002..This is the first report to evaluate changes in nasal resistance in a preclinical animal model using the forced oscillation method...
- [Acute exposure to imidazoline derivatives in children]Fabio Bucaretchi
Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 79:519-24. 2003..To study acute exposure to imidazoline derivatives in 72 children younger than 15 years of age, followed-up from January 1994 to December 1999...
- Pharmacologic approaches to daytime and nighttime symptoms of allergic rhinitisWilliam W Storms
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Colorado Springs, CO, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:S146-53. 2004..Because of the significant detrimental effects of nocturnal rhinitis symptoms on quality of life, allergic rhinitis therapies should be evaluated for efficacy in ameliorating nighttime symptoms...
- Nasal wall compliance in vasomotor rhinitisJean François Papon
Physiopathologie et Thérapeutique Respiratoires INSERM UMR 651, Creteil, France
J Appl Physiol 100:107-11. 2006....
- Comparison of decongestive capacity of xylometazoline and pseudoephedrine with rhinomanometry and MRIM Caenen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Free University Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Rhinology 43:205-9. 2005..However, there was no decongestive effect whatsoever on the mucosa of the sinuses with either sympathicomimetic...
- Rhinitis medicamentosa: therapeutic effect of diode laser inferior turbinate reduction on nasal obstruction and decongestant abusePhilipp P Caffier
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Charité University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Rhinol 22:433-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate long-term outcomes of an outpatient-based diode laser inferior turbinate reduction (ITR) in therapy-refractory rhinitis medicamentosa (RM)...
- Sublingual immunotherapy-induced IL-10 production is associated with changed response to the decongestion test: preliminary resultsGiorgio Ciprandi
A O U San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:574-7. 2007..0016 and p = 0.00294, respectively). This preliminary study provides the first evidence of a changed response to decongestion testing after SLIT that is associated with IL-10 production in patients with PAR...
- Office-based management of allergic rhinitis in adultsJeffrey M Lehman
Department of Allergy and Immunology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tenn, USA
Am J Med 120:659-63. 2007..Controlled studies support the utility of several available treatments that produce fewer symptoms, improve quality of life, and prevent comorbidities...
- Nasal eosinophils and reversibility to the decongestion test in patients with perennial allergic rhinitisGiorgio Ciprandi
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:292-5. 2007..338). This study provides evidence of a significant association between nasal eosinophils and the reversibility to the decongestion test in patients with PAR...
- Sinonasal disease and nasal salineBaran Acar
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:625; author reply 625. 2007
- Reference values for acoustic rhinometry in decongested school children and adults: the most sensitive measurement for change in nasal patencySune P Straszek
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Institute of Public Health, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Rhinology 45:36-9. 2007..We want to establish a set of reference values for MCA and nasal volumes for both adults and children and include values also for the decongested nose and determine the most sensitive measurement for change in nasal patency...
- Topical treatment of rhinosinusitisA Fiocchi
Melloni Paediatria and the Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Melloni, Milan, Italy
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 18:62-7. 2007..While saline irrigation, nasal decongestants, steroids, antibiotics, antihistamines and fungicides are all in widespread pediatric use, comparing ..
- A new hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatographic (HILIC) procedure for the simultaneous determination of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (PSH), diphenhydramine hydrochloride (DPH) and dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXH) in cough-cold formulationsMohammed Shahid Ali
Jamjoom Pharmaceuticals Company Limited, Industrial Area, Phase 5, Jeddah 21442, Saudi Arabia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:158-67. 2007..Mobile phase pH is manipulated to regulate ionization and ion-exchange interaction and thereby retention of compounds...
- Decongestion test in patients with allergic rhinitis: functional evaluation of nasal airflowGiorgio Ciprandi
Ospedale San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Am J Rhinol 20:224-6. 2006....
- Medical management and diagnosis of chronic rhinosinusitis: A survey of treatment patterns by United States otolaryngologistsScott M Kaszuba
Bobby R Alford Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Communicative Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Rhinol 20:186-90. 2006..This study was performed to identify current patterns of diagnostic criteria and medical treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) by otolaryngologists in the United States...
- Efficacy of diphenhydramine vs desloratadine and placebo in patients with moderate-to-severe seasonal allergic rhinitisGordon D Raphael
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, Morris Plains, New Jersey 07950, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 96:606-14. 2006..Previous studies have shown that diphenhydramine and desloratadine effectively relieve symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis (SAR)...
- Association between response to decongestion testing and sensitizations and allergic inflammationGiorgio Ciprandi
Dipartimento Patologie Testa Collo, Padiglione Specialità piano terzo, Azienda Ospedale Università San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 96:431-6. 2006..Rhinomanometry is used to measure nasal airflow, which is frequently impaired in allergic rhinitis (AR). Decongestion testing consists of spraying an intranasal vasoconstrictor drug to evaluate recovery of nasal airflow...
- Treatment of acute and chronic rhinosinusitis in the United States, 1999-2002Hadley J Sharp
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68106, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:260-5. 2007....
- [Investigation of the effect of oxymetazoline on the duration of rhinitis]S Reinecke
MMW Fortschr Med 147:46. 2005
- Clinical assessment of a nasal decongestion test by visual analog scale in allergic rhinitisGiorgio Ciprandi
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Am J Rhinol 22:502-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to verify the suitability of the use of the visual analog scales (VASs) as a surrogate for rhinomanometry in the decongestion test assessment in patients with persistent allergic rhinitis...
- Efficacy and safety of an oral formulation of cetirizine and prolonged-release pseudoephedrine versus xylometazoline nasal spray in nasal congestionU P Stübner
Ear Nose Throat University Clinic, Vienna, Austria
Arzneimittelforschung 51:904-10. 2001..With the exception of nasal obstruction, all subjective symptoms as well as the global condition were significantly better under CTZ/PSE. Amounts of nasal secretions during these sessions were significantly lower with CTZ/PSE...
- Pregnancy rhinitis and rhinitis medicamentosaBetty Rambur
College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Vermont in Burlington, VT, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 14:527-30. 2002..To present guidelines for the recognition, management, and referral of pregnancy rhinitis with a goal of improving the quality of the pregnancy experience for women afflicted with this condition...
- Canine model of nasal congestion and allergic rhinitisRuslan L Tiniakov
University of Illinois at Chicago, and Veterans Affairs Chicago Health Care System, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Appl Physiol 94:1821-8. 2003....
- Efficacy and safety of clemastine-pseudoephedrine-acetaminophen versus pseudoephedrine-acetaminophen in the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in a 1-day, placebo-controlled park studyEli O Meltzer
Allergy and Asthma Medical Group and Research Center, San Diego, California, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:79-86. 2003..Patients with allergic rhinitis have a wide range of symptoms that are often treated with oral combination products that contain antihistamines, decongestants, and analgesics...
- Decongestant activity of a new formulation of xylometazoline nasal spray: a double-blind, randomized versus placebo and reference drugs controlled, dose-effect studyF Castellano
IBSA Institut Biochimique S A, 6915 Pambio Noranco, Switzerland
Drugs Exp Clin Res 28:27-35. 2002..1%. HA seems to act as an enhancer/carrier of the active principle, xylometazoline, as already demonstrated for other drugs. The new formulation at a concentration of 0.05% was therefore selected for further clinical development...
- Onset of action, efficacy, and safety of fexofenadine 60 mg/pseudoephedrine 120 mg versus placebo in the Atlanta allergen exposure unitRobert B Berkowitz
RxResearch, Woodstock, Georgia 30188, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 89:38-45. 2002..Second-generation antihistamine-decongestant combinations are often used to treat seasonal allergies. However, onset of action and efficacy data for these agents in a controlled setting are limited...
- Improved strategies and new treatment options for allergic rhinitisSandra K Willsie
University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, MO, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 102:S7-14. 2002..Future therapeutic options include leukotriene modifiers and anti-IgE antibodies...
- Hypertonic saline nasal provocation and acoustic rhinometryJ N Baraniuk
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 32:543-50. 2002..Hypertonic saline (HTS) acts as an airway irritant in human nasal mucosa by stimulating nociceptive nerves and glandular secretion. HTS does not change vascular permeability. In asthma, HTS causes airflow obstruction...
- The effect of inferior turbinate hypertrophy on nasal spray distribution to the middle meatusA C Dowley
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Hull Royal Infirmary, Hull, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:488-90. 2001..026). This may support a clinical role for inferior turbinate reduction to improve the efficacy of topical nasal therapy, as well as improving nasal airflow...
- Intranasal application of the alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist BHT-920 produces decongestion in the catR L McLeod
Allergy, Schering-Plough Research Institute, Kenilworth, New Jersey 07033-0539, USA
Am J Rhinol 15:407-15. 2001..3 and 1.0% lasted over 60 minutes. The present findings indicate that selective alpha2-agonists may produce decongestant activity with an improved cardiovascular profile compared with current sympathomimetic drugs such as phenylephrine...
- Chronic cough. Article is not consistent with WHO initiative on rhinitis and asthmaMike Thomas
BMJ 326:1036. 2003
- Relief of cough and nasal symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis by mometasone furoate nasal spraySandra Gawchik
Asthma and Allergy Associates, Upland, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:416-21. 2003..Mometasone furoate nasal spray (MFNS, Nasonex, Schering, Kenilworth, NJ), an anti-inflammatory nasal corticosteroid, has been shown to be safe and effective in reducing the nasal inflammation of SAR...
- [Advance in therapy of acute rhinitis--comparison of efficacy and safety of xylometazoline in combination xylometazoline-dexpanthenol in patients with acute rhinitis]W Kehrl
Klinik und Ambulatorium für Hals Nasen Ohren Krankenheiten, Katholisches Marienkrankenhaus, Hamburg
Laryngorhinootologie 82:266-71. 2003..After proving a synergistic effect of Xylometazoline and Dexpanthenol (Nasic) in patients after nasal surgery, this result should be checked in patients with acute non-allergic rhinitis...
- [The relationship between ostial patency and medical treatment in acute maxillary sinusitis: an experimental study]Ahmet Kutluhan
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Yüzüncü Yıl University, Van, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 9:275-81. 2002..We investigated the relationship between ostial patency and medical treatment in an experimental model of acute maxillary sinusitis...
- The vascular effects of trace amines and amphetaminesKenneth J Broadley
Division of Pharmacology, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, King Edward VII Avenue, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NB, UK
Pharmacol Ther 125:363-75. 2010..This effect is the basis of their use as nasal decongestants. For over 50 years, they have been assumed to be indirectly acting sympathomimetic amines, their responses ..
- [Drugs and drug abusers]J Schlatter
Service Pharmacie Toxicologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Jean Verdier, Avenue du 14 Juillet, F 93140 Bondy
Presse Med 30:282-7. 2001..Clinical signs of addiction and weaning are observed. OTHERS: Several other drug classes are used by abusers, including analgics, beta-adrenergic agents, nasal vasoconstrictors and corticosteroids...
- Alpha-adrenoceptor agonistic activity of oxymetazoline and xylometazolineBritta Haenisch
University of Bonn, Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 24:729-39. 2010..e. at receptors highly expressed at the mRNA level in human nasal mucosa, could eventually explain why in nasal decongestants oxymetazoline can be used in lower concentrations than xylometazoline.
- Cytotoxic effects of 110 reference compounds on HepG2 cells and for 60 compounds on HeLa, ECC-1 and CHO cells. II mechanistic assays on NAD(P)H, ATP and DNA contentsWillem G E J Schoonen
Department of Pharmacology, N V Organon, Molenstraat 110, 5340 BH Oss, The Netherlands
Toxicol In Vitro 19:491-503. 2005..These compounds were non-narcotic antitussives, nasal decongestants, narcotic analgesics, hypnotics, vasodilators, specific cellular energy blockers, cellular proliferation ..
- The effectiveness of nasal decongestants, oral decongestants and oral decongestant-antihistamines in the treatment of acute otitis media in childrenAhmet Eyibilen
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Gaziosmanpaşa University, Tokat, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 19:289-93. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of nasal decongestants, oral decongestants and oral decongestant-antihistamines in the treatment of acute otitis media and resolution of the middle ear effusion in children.
- The role of the nose in the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep apnoea and snoringM Kohler
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Eur Respir J 30:1208-15. 2007..External nasal dilators were used in five studies, topically applied steroids in one, nasal decongestants in two, and surgical treatment in one study...
- Surgery for severe rhinosinusitisE Bradley Strong
Department of Otolaryngology, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, 2521 Stockton Boulevard, Suite 7200, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 25:165-76. 2003..This includes a 4-6 wk course of oral antibiotics, nasal steroids, topical nasal decongestants, and oral prednisone if possible...
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs: update on new findingsM R Henzl
Syntex Research, Palo Alto, California
Am J Obstet Gynecol 166:757-61. 1992..In one series of studies, the effect of nasal mucosal inflammation and the concomitant use of nasal decongestants on the nasal absorption of nafarelin was evaluated in women with perennial rhinitis...
- The clinical and radiological spectrum of reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome. A prospective series of 67 patientsAnne Ducros
Emergency Headache Centre, Lariboisiere Hospital, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75010 Paris, France
Brain 130:3091-101. 2007..to various vasoactive substances in 37, mainly cannabis, selective serotonin-recapture inhibitors and nasal decongestants. The main pattern of presentation (94% of patients) was multiple thunderclap headaches recurring over a ..
- The role of the nose in the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep apneaMalcolm Kohler
Pulmonary Division, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 17:33-7. 2009....
- Rhinitis medicamentosa: electron microscopic changes of human nasal mucosaStephan Knipping
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:57-61. 2007..Nasal obstruction is induced by rebound swelling when the decongestive effect has disappeared. The aim of this study was to demonstrate ultrastructural changes in RM...
- Phenylpropanolamine decreases food intake in rats made hyperphagic by various stimuliF A Moya-Huff
Department of Pharmacology, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, Boston 02115
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 28:71-4. 1987Phenylpropanolamine (PPA, d,l-norephedrine), found in many over-the-counter appetite suppressants and nasal decongestants, induces anorexia by a yet unidentified mechanism...
- [Rhinosinusitis in childhood]G Caramia
Primario Emerito di Pediatria e Neonatologia Azienda Ospedaliera Materno Infantile G Salesi, Ancona
Pediatr Med Chir 27:42-9. 2005..Some researcers demonstrated the effectiveness of this approach, also preventig otitis. Nasal decongestants and antinflammatories are useful, too...
- Efficacy of isotonic nasal wash (seawater) in the treatment and prevention of rhinitis in childrenIvo Slapak
Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Clinic, Teaching Hospital Brno, Czech Republic
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:67-74. 2008..To evaluate the potential of nasal isotonic saline application to prevent reappearance of cold and flu in children during the winter...
- Sleep and allergic rhinitisJ Muliol
Rhinology Unit and Smell Clinic, ENT Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 18:415-9. 2008..of sleep in allergic rhinitis by using medications (antihistamines, topical nasal corticosteroids, nasal decongestants, antileukotrienes) and, finally, the relationship between the sleep apnea syndrome with allergic rhinitis ..
- Toxicity of drugs used for treatment of rhinitis: a reminder to the otorhinolaryngologistA P Balbani
Otorhinolaryngology Department, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Am J Rhinol 14:77-82. 2000..05) and a preponderance among males aged 5-9 years and females aged 10-39 years. Accidental intake of medicines accounted for the majority of toxicity cases (57.2%)...
- Secondhand tobacco smoke exposure and chronic rhinosinusitis: a population-based case-control studyDouglas D Reh
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins Sinus Center, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Am J Rhinol Allergy 23:562-7. 2009..To address this evidence gap, we evaluated the association of SHS and CRS risk in a community-based case-control study of adult nonsmokers...
- Chronic rhinosinusitis gives a ninefold increased risk of chronic headache. The Akershus study of chronic headacheK Aaseth
Head and Neck Research Group, HØKH, Research Centre, Akershus University Hospital, Lørenskog
Cephalalgia 30:152-60. 2010..surgery, nasal corticosteroids, discontinuation of overused headache medications and discontinuation of nasal decongestants or unspecified reasons...
- 'Moffett's' solution: a review of the evidence and scientific basis for the topical preparation of the noseE Benjamin
Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, London, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:582-7. 2004..We discuss each component of 'Moffett's' reviewing the science and evidence behind its usage and the huge variation in the techniques of its application...
- Assessment of nasal cycle by acoustic rhinometry and rhinomanometryZhi Li Huang
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, The National University of Singapore, Singapore
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:510-6. 2003..We sought to investigate the pattern, duration, and amplitude of nasal cycle and its response to nasal decongestant...
- Effect of nasal decongestion on voice spectrum of a nasal consonant-vowelGuo She Lee
Institute of Medical Science, Tzu Chi University and Department of Otolaryngology, I Lan Hospital, Department of Health, ROC
J Voice 19:71-7. 2005..The nasal cavity plays an important role in the formation of spectral peaks and valleys, and such engraved voice spectra may also characterize nasal voices like the nasal CV [md:] demonstrated in our study...
- Nasal congestion: a review of its etiology, evaluation, and treatmentJ P Corey
Department of Surgery, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 79:690-3, 696, 698 passim. 2000..Several surgical procedures are also available. This article reviews the current guidelines for the workup and diagnosis of nasal congestion and briefly describes the many and varied approaches to treatment...
- TIA associated with over-the-counter cold preparationP Profice
Acta Neurol Scand 114:358-9. 2006
- Brazilian Academy of Rhinology position paper on topical intranasal therapyJoão Ferreira de Mello Jr
Medical School, University of São Paulo FMUSP, Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 79:391-400. 2013....
- Toxicity and use of over-the-counter cough and cold medication in the pediatric populationEmily J Montgomery
Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Mo Med 105:514-7. 2008..An additional consideration for physicians is the recreational use of over-the-counter medications, including adolescent abuse of dextromethorphan. The recent increase in media attention to these issues warrants further review...
- Nasal resistance in snorers with or without sleep apnea: effect of posture and nasal ventilation with continuous positive airway pressureP Desfonds
Service d'Exploration Fonctionnelle Multidisciplinaire, , , Boulogne, France
Sleep 21:625-32. 1998..In conclusion, nasal resistance measured with posterior rhinomanometry in the supine position is not predictive for OSA. Nasal ventilation with CPAP resulted in an acute and marked decrease in nasal resistance...
- Is acetaminophen as effective as an antihistamine-decongestant-acetaminophen combination in relieving symptoms of acute nasopharyngitis in children? A randomised, controlled trialEmin Unuvar
Department of Pediatrics, Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Capa, TR 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:1277-85. 2007..To determine the efficiency of drugs, which include antihistaminic-decongestant-acetaminophen agents versus only acetaminophen in symptomatic treatment of acute nasopharyngitis in children...
- Rhinitis medicamentosa: what an otolaryngologist needs to knowJayesh Doshi
ENT Department, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Newcastle Rd, Stoke on Trent, ST4 6QG, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:623-5. 2009Rhinitis medicamentosa (RM) is a drug induced non-allergic rhinitis associated with prolonged use of topical nasal decongestants. This review discusses the nasal mucosa microcirculation, basic pharmacology of topical decongestants and ..
- Allergic rhinitis: selective comparisons of the pharmaceutical options for managementBob Lanier
Department of Pediatrics Immunology, University of North Texas, Fort Worth, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:16-9. 2007..This review is intended as an aid in comparing classes and formats of medications affecting nasal allergy...
- Sinusitis and its managementKim W Ah-See
Department of Otolaryngology, Head, and Neck Surgery, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen AB25 2ZN
BMJ 334:358-61. 2007
- Nasal decongestion test in allergic rhinitis: definition of responderGiorgio Ciprandi
Dipartimento Medicina Interna, Semeiotica Medica I Padiglione 3, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Int Immunopharmacol 7:372-4. 2007..Nasal airflow, as measured by rhinomanometry, is frequently impaired in allergic rhinitis (AR). The decongestion test evaluates whether the application of an intranasal vasoconstrictor drug increases nasal airflow...
- Over the counter but no longer under the radar--pediatric cough and cold medicationsJoshua M Sharfstein
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
N Engl J Med 357:2321-4. 2007
- Evaluation and treatment of respiratory infections: does managed care make a difference?W J Hueston
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, USA
J Fam Pract 44:572-7. 1997..The intention of this study was to determine whether shifting the costs from the insurer to physicians in a staff model health maintenance organization (HMO) influenced antibiotic prescribing...
- The effect of intranasal budesonide spray on mucosal blood flow measured with laser Doppler flowmetryA Cervin
Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Lund, S-221 85 Lund, Sweden
Rhinology 39:13-6. 2001..9 +/- 7.1% measured from baseline values. CONCLUSION: A single dose of intranasal budesonide aqueous nasal spray has no acute effects on nasal septal mucosal blood flow...
- [Electron microscopic studies of the rabbit nasal mucosa after short-term application of naphzoline nitrate]P Agha-Mir-Salim
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen, Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg
Laryngorhinootologie 80:389-93. 2001..Our goal was the systematic investigation of the submucosal vessels and the epithelium after topic application of naphazoline nitrate (Privin) in an animal model...
- The effect of topical xylometazoline on the mucosal temperature of the nasal septumJörg Lindemann
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ulm, Germany
Am J Rhinol 16:229-34. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine the short-term influence of the alpha2-adrenoreceptor agonist xylometazoline on the nasal mucosal temperature...
- Comparison of nasal sound spectral analysis and peak nasal inspiratory flow before and after decongestion in patients with nasal obstructionHyuk Choi
Medical Devices Clinical Trial Center, Guro Hospital, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Brain Korea 21 Project for Biomedical Science, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 120:391-6. 2011..We compared the results of nasal sound spectral analysis (NSSA) with the results of peak nasal inspiratory flow (PNIF) testing and use of a visual analog scale in patients with allergic rhinitis with nasal obstruction...
- Nonprescription cold remedies unsafe for young children, FDA advisers sayKate Traynor
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:2408-10. 2007
- Tarnished silverLee Sataline
Lancet 363:1166. 2004
- [The protective effect of dexpanthenol in nasal sprays. First results of cytotoxic and ciliary-toxic studies in vitro]N Klocker
AUDIT Institute for Medical Services and Quality Assurance, Taunusstein
Laryngorhinootologie 82:177-82. 2003In Germany more than 60 million units of nasal decongestants are prescribed or sold over the counter. The cytotoxic and ciliary-toxic potential of alpha-sympathomimetic decongestants is well established...
- Rationale and feasibility of intranasal delivery of drugs to the eustachian tube orificeMamun Rashid
South West Deanery, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Rd, Exeter, EX2 5DW, UK
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 12:541-6. 2012....
- Regional-dependent intestinal permeability and BCS classification: elucidation of pH-related complexity in rats using pseudoephedrineMoran Fairstein
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O Box 653 Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
AAPS J 15:589-97. 2013..We propose to allow high-permeability classification to drugs with P(eff) that matches/exceeds the low/high class benchmark anywhere throughout the intestinal tract and not restricted necessarily to the jejunum...
- Nasotracheal intubation with three indirect laryngoscopes assisted by standard or modified Magill forcepsS Staar
Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen, Germany
Anaesthesia 68:467-71. 2013..0001. In conclusion, the modified Magill forceps facilitated nasotracheal intubation, independent of the type of indirect laryngoscope...
- [Evidence-based treatment options for allergic diseases in otolaryngology: an update]L Klimek
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie, An den Quellen 10, 65183, Wiesbaden, Deutschland
HNO 61:525-38. 2013..are mast cell stabilizers, antihistamines, glucocorticoids, leukotriene receptor antagonists and nasal decongestants. In type 1 allergic reactions, topical glucocorticoids are currently the most effective treatment and are ..
- [The use of oxymetazoline in nasal endoscopic sinus surgery]Hongtao Zhen
Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 17:281-2. 2003..To assess the value of oxymetazoline used in nasal endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS)...
- Spectrophotometric determination of phenylephrine hydrochloride in pharmaceuticals by flow injection analysis exploiting the reaction with potassium ferricyanide and 4-aminoantipyrineJosé R C Rocha
Universidade de Sao Paulo, Instituto de Quimica, SP, Brazil
J AOAC Int 85:875-8. 2002..The linear dynamic range was between 0.95 and 9 mg/L, with a limit of detection of 0.2 mg/L and a sampling throughput of 120 samples per hour. The method was applied to eyewashes and nasal decongestant liquid medicines...
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..A preliminary estimate of the effect size of xylitol treatment from the pilot RCT will suggest whether the effect if sufficiently large to warrant a large formal RCT to be proposed. ..
- Diagnosing Acute Bacterial Sinusitis in Children and Measuring Treatment ResponseNader Shaikh; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, we will also develop a symptom scale which will allow researchers to compare the effectiveness of different treatment strategies for children with acute bacterial sinusitis. ..
- Sleep Intervention During Acute Lung InjurySairam Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will find the best sleep measurement tool and administer a new medication that improves sleep by soothing inflammation which may, in the future, improve the quality of life of patients. ..
- Methamphetamine Pharmacotherapy Development CenterJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our focused, mechanistically-based studies present opportunities for methods development and efficacy evaluations that could not be practically achieved without a collaborative center. ..
- MDMA Dependence and Discontinuation SyndromeJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Addiction to MDMA appears to be a serious risk of use; our studies will carefttlly define important clinical features of this emerging disorder. ..
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2006..These methods and biomarkers may be of diagnostic value. They will be useful for assessing longitudinal changes in disease severity, phenotype, or the effects of treatment. ..
- MDMA Dependence and Discontinuation SyndromeJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Addiction to MDMA appears to be a serious risk of use; our studies will carefttlly define important clinical features of this emerging disorder. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Clinical Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxy AmphetaminesJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..This experiment will investigate the role of alpha-1 adrenergic receptors in the action of MDMA and will provide preliminary data on the possible use of prazosin in the treatment of acute MDMA toxicity. ..
- Interleukin-4 effects on calcium in airway smooth muscleJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Studies will be done with freshly-dispersed bovine and cultured human airway smooth muscle cells. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2007..These methods and biomarkers may be of diagnostic value. They will be useful for assessing longitudinal changes in disease severity, phenotype, or the effects of treatment. ..
- Clinical Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxy AmphetaminesJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2008..This experiment will investigate the role of alpha-1 adrenergic receptors in the action of MDMA and will provide preliminary data on the possible use of prazosin in the treatment of acute MDMA toxicity. ..
- Clinical Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxy AmphetaminesJohn E Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2010..This experiment will investigate the role of alpha-1 adrenergic receptors in the action of MDMA and will provide preliminary data on the possible use of prazosin in the treatment of acute MDMA toxicity. ..
- Sleep Intervention During Acute Lung InjurySairam Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will find the best sleep measurement tool and administer a new medication that improves sleep by soothing inflammation which may, in the future, improve the quality of life of patients. ..
- MDMA Dependence and Discontinuation SyndromeJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Addiction to MDMA appears to be a serious risk of use; our studies will carefttlly define important clinical features of this emerging disorder. ..
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2009..These methods and biomarkers may be of diagnostic value. They will be useful for assessing longitudinal changes in disease severity, phenotype, or the effects of treatment. ..
- Clinical Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxy AmphetaminesJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2008
- MDMA Dependence and Discontinuation SyndromeJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2008
- Interleukin-4 effects on calcium in airway smooth muscleJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2004..Studies will be done with freshly-dispersed bovine and cultured human airway smooth muscle cells. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2004..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- CALCIUM REGULATION IN SINGLE AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLSJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2000..To address these aims, the principal method is radiometric imaging of [Ca2+]i in single, bovine airway smooth muscle cells loaded with the calcium dye, fura-2. ..
- MECHANISMS OF RHINITIS IN CFSJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 1999..e. nasal provocation) as the means to evaluate future treatments of CFS. ..
- CALCIUM REGULATION IN SINGLE AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLSJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 1999..To address these aims, the principal method is radiometric imaging of [Ca2+]i in single, bovine airway smooth muscle cells loaded with the calcium dye, fura-2. ..
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF METHAMPHETAMINE STEREOISOMERSJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 1999..Primary outcome measures include drug and metabolite measurements in plasma and urine and subjective and cardiovascular measures, including 2D echocardiography. ..
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF METHAMPHETAMINE STEREOISOMERSJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2000..Primary outcome measures include drug and metabolite measurements in plasma and urine and subjective and cardiovascular measures, including 2D echocardiography. ..
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF METHAMPHETAMINE STEREOISOMERSJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Primary outcome measures include drug and metabolite measurements in plasma and urine and subjective and cardiovascular measures, including 2D echocardiography. ..
- Interleukin-4 effects on calcium in airway smooth muscleJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Studies will be done with freshly-dispersed bovine and cultured human airway smooth muscle cells. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2003
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF METHAMPHETAMINE STEREOISOMERSJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2003
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF METHAMPHETAMINE STEREOISOMERSJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2002
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2002
- Interleukin-4 effects on calcium in airway smooth muscleJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2002