Summary: Drugs designed to treat inflammation of the nasal passages, generally the result of an infection (more often than not the common cold) or an allergy related condition, e.g., hay fever. The inflammation involves swelling of the mucous membrane that lines the nasal passages and results in inordinate mucus production. The primary class of nasal decongestants are vasoconstrictor agents. (From PharmAssist, The Family Guide to Health and Medicine, 1993)
Publications208 found, 100 shown here
- [Ultrastructural changes in human nasal mucosa in rhinitis medicamentosa]S Knipping
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg
HNO 54:742-8. 2006..Nasal obstruction is caused by rebound swelling when the decongestive effect has disappeared. The patient starts using nasal drops more frequently as a result of tachyphylaxis...
- Nasal decongestants in the treatment of chronic nasal obstruction: efficacy and safety of useDesiderio Passali
Chief Professor, ENT Clinic University of Siena Medical School, Policlinico Le Scotte Viale Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
Expert Opin Drug Saf 5:783-90. 2006b>Nasal decongestants are the most powerful drugs in the reduction of nasal obstruction. Despite their large use, local and systemic adverse reactions are frequent...
- Relationship between rhinitis duration and response to nasal decongestion testGiorgio Ciprandi
Department of Internal Medicine, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Laryngoscope 118:1139-41. 2008..The purpose of the study was to evaluate the impact of the duration of rhinitis on the response to nasal decongestion test in a cohort of patients with PER...
- The development and application of a system for simultaneously determining anti-infectives and nasal decongestants using on-line solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryGhazanfar Ali Khan
Department of Chemistry, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
J Pharm Biomed Anal 66:24-32. 2012A method for the simultaneous analysis of antibiotics, antiviral and nasal decongestants in treated sewage effluent and surface water has been developed and validated...
- Do topical nasal decongestants affect polyps?Leif Johansson
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Central Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 126:288-90. 2006..Decongestion is therefore recommended prior to nasal endoscopy, especially in polyp diagnosis, as it does not artificially change the size of the polyps...
- Comparison of the clinical efficacy of standard and mucoadhesive-based nasal decongestantsChristo T Tzachev
Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Br J Clin Pharmacol 53:107-9. 2002..To compare two xylometazoline 0.1% preparations: reference commercial solution (RS) and test mucoadhesive solution (TS)...
- alpha2-adrenoceptor agonists as nasal decongestantsM R Corboz
Pulmonary and Peripheral Neurobiology, Schering Plough Research Institute, 2015 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, NJ 07033, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:149-56. 2007....
- Efficacy and safety of clemastine-pseudoephedrine-acetaminophen versus pseudoephedrine-acetaminophen in the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in a 1-day, placebo-controlled park studyEli O Meltzer
Allergy and Asthma Medical Group and Research Center, San Diego, California, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:79-86. 2003..Patients with allergic rhinitis have a wide range of symptoms that are often treated with oral combination products that contain antihistamines, decongestants, and analgesics...
- [The relationship between ostial patency and medical treatment in acute maxillary sinusitis: an experimental study]Ahmet Kutluhan
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Yüzüncü Yıl University, Van, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 9:275-81. 2002..We investigated the relationship between ostial patency and medical treatment in an experimental model of acute maxillary sinusitis...
- Effect of treating severe nasal obstruction on the severity of obstructive sleep apnoeaH A McLean
Dept of Medicine, Queen s University, 102 Stuart Street, Kingston, ON K7L 3N6, Canada
Eur Respir J 25:521-7. 2005..In conclusion, treating nasal obstruction reduced mouth breathing during sleep and obstructive sleep apnoea severity, but did not effectively alleviate obstructive sleep apnoea...
- Improving the management and quality of life of patients with allergic rhinitisVictoria Carr
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London
Prof Nurse 20:31-3. 2005..This paper looks at the main causes of allergic rhinitis and its symptoms, and describes the available treatments to manage the conditon...
- Onset of action, efficacy, and safety of fexofenadine 60 mg/pseudoephedrine 120 mg versus placebo in the Atlanta allergen exposure unitRobert B Berkowitz
RxResearch, Woodstock, Georgia 30188, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 89:38-45. 2002..Second-generation antihistamine-decongestant combinations are often used to treat seasonal allergies. However, onset of action and efficacy data for these agents in a controlled setting are limited...
- Pediatric allergic rhinitis: treatmentLien Lai
Department of Medicine, Creighton University Medical Center, 601 North 30th Street, Suite 5850, Omaha, NE 68131 USA
Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 25:283-99, vi. 2005..Immunotherapy generally is reserved for patients unresponsive to therapy or unable to take medications...
- Hypertonic saline nasal provocation and acoustic rhinometryJ N Baraniuk
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 32:543-50. 2002..Hypertonic saline (HTS) acts as an airway irritant in human nasal mucosa by stimulating nociceptive nerves and glandular secretion. HTS does not change vascular permeability. In asthma, HTS causes airflow obstruction...
- The value of Ems Mineral Salts in the treatment of rhinosinusitis in children. Prospective study on the efficacy of mineral salts versus xylometazoline in the topical nasal treatment of childrenO Michel
Klinik u Poliklinik für HNO Heilkunde, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Kerpenerstr 62, 50924 Köln, Germany
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1359-65. 2005..d.) with either isotonic Ems Mineral Salts (EMS) solution (Siemens & Co., Bad Ems, Germany) or xylometazoline solution (0.05%) was tested in children (n=66) aged 2-6 years...
- Canine model of nasal congestion and allergic rhinitisRuslan L Tiniakov
University of Illinois at Chicago, and Veterans Affairs Chicago Health Care System, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Appl Physiol 94:1821-8. 2003....
- Pregnancy rhinitis and rhinitis medicamentosaBetty Rambur
College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Vermont in Burlington, VT, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 14:527-30. 2002..To present guidelines for the recognition, management, and referral of pregnancy rhinitis with a goal of improving the quality of the pregnancy experience for women afflicted with this condition...
- Evaluation of protective and therapeutic effects of dexpanthenol on nasal decongestants and preservatives: results of cytotoxic studies in vitroNorbert Klöcker
AUDIT Institute for Medical Services and Quality Assurance, Taunusstein, Germany
Am J Rhinol 18:315-20. 2004More than 600 million units of nasal decongestants are sold worldwide annually...
- [Tolerance and effectiveness of oxymetazoline and xylometazoline in treatment of acute rhinitis]M Dorn
Casore del Monte, Toscana Italien
HNO 51:794-9. 2003..Local alpha-sympathomimetics in hydrous solution are well known in the therapy of acute rhinitis and sinusitis. However, added preservatives like benzalkonium chloride have a negative effect on compatibility...
- [The tolerability of nasal drugs with special regard to preservatives and physico-chemical parameters]Th Verse
Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik Mannheim
Laryngorhinootologie 82:782-9. 2003..New pharmaceutical formulations for better tolerable nasal sprays are now possible and consequently reformulations introduced to the market. Therefore, a representative and systematic overview on comparable products is mandatory...
- Characterization of nasal obstruction in the allergic guinea pig using the forced oscillation methodRobbie L McLeod
Department of Allergy, Schering Plough Research Institute, 2015 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, NJ 07033 0539, USA
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 48:153-9. 2002..This is the first report to evaluate changes in nasal resistance in a preclinical animal model using the forced oscillation method...
- Intranasal drug delivery: an alternative to intravenous administration in selected emergency casesTimothy R Wolfe
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
J Emerg Nurs 30:141-7. 2004
- Control of nasal obstruction in perennial allergic rhinitisDe Yun Wang
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 4:165-70. 2004..Nasal obstruction in persistent allergic rhinitis must be treated the year round, and therefore treatment choices, costs, and compliance all become important public health issues...
- Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in elite athletes: optimal management for quality of life and performanceConstance H Katelaris
Institute of Immunology and Allergy Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead 2145, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Sports Med 33:401-6. 2003..Since avoidance strategies are rarely practical for the athlete, consideration should be given to strategies such as immunotherapy, where long-term benefit is possible...
- Chronic cough. Article is not consistent with WHO initiative on rhinitis and asthmaMike Thomas
BMJ 326:1036. 2003
- Relief of cough and nasal symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis by mometasone furoate nasal spraySandra Gawchik
Asthma and Allergy Associates, Upland, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:416-21. 2003..Mometasone furoate nasal spray (MFNS, Nasonex, Schering, Kenilworth, NJ), an anti-inflammatory nasal corticosteroid, has been shown to be safe and effective in reducing the nasal inflammation of SAR...
- [Advance in therapy of acute rhinitis--comparison of efficacy and safety of xylometazoline in combination xylometazoline-dexpanthenol in patients with acute rhinitis]W Kehrl
Klinik und Ambulatorium für Hals Nasen Ohren Krankenheiten, Katholisches Marienkrankenhaus, Hamburg
Laryngorhinootologie 82:266-71. 2003..After proving a synergistic effect of Xylometazoline and Dexpanthenol (Nasic) in patients after nasal surgery, this result should be checked in patients with acute non-allergic rhinitis...
- [Pathologic conditions associated with drug-induced rhinitis]Dusanka Milosević
Zvezdara Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Centre, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 132:14-7. 2004..In conclusion, the most common pathological conditions for developing rhinitis medicamentosa were chronic inflammatory and structural diseases manifested by permanent nasal obstruction as well as acute upper respiratory infections are...
- Thunderclap headache and reversible segmental cerebral vasoconstriction associated with use of oxymetazoline nasal sprayAndrea H S Loewen
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta
CMAJ 171:593-4. 2004Oxymetazoline is a sympathomimetic amine found in over-the-counter nasal decongestants. We report a case of chronic use of nasal oxymetazoline associated with thunderclap headache due to reversible segmental intracranial vasoconstriction.
- The effect of inferior turbinate hypertrophy on nasal spray distribution to the middle meatusA C Dowley
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Hull Royal Infirmary, Hull, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:488-90. 2001..026). This may support a clinical role for inferior turbinate reduction to improve the efficacy of topical nasal therapy, as well as improving nasal airflow...
- Nasal wall compliance in vasomotor rhinitisJean François Papon
Physiopathologie et Thérapeutique Respiratoires INSERM UMR 651, Creteil, France
J Appl Physiol 100:107-11. 2006....
- Intranasal application of the alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist BHT-920 produces decongestion in the catR L McLeod
Allergy, Schering-Plough Research Institute, Kenilworth, New Jersey 07033-0539, USA
Am J Rhinol 15:407-15. 2001..3 and 1.0% lasted over 60 minutes. The present findings indicate that selective alpha2-agonists may produce decongestant activity with an improved cardiovascular profile compared with current sympathomimetic drugs such as phenylephrine...
- Efficacy and safety of an oral formulation of cetirizine and prolonged-release pseudoephedrine versus xylometazoline nasal spray in nasal congestionU P Stübner
Ear Nose Throat University Clinic, Vienna, Austria
Arzneimittelforschung 51:904-10. 2001..With the exception of nasal obstruction, all subjective symptoms as well as the global condition were significantly better under CTZ/PSE. Amounts of nasal secretions during these sessions were significantly lower with CTZ/PSE...
- Treatment of acute and chronic rhinosinusitis in the United States, 1999-2002Hadley J Sharp
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68106, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:260-5. 2007....
- Reference values for acoustic rhinometry in decongested school children and adults: the most sensitive measurement for change in nasal patencySune P Straszek
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Institute of Public Health, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Rhinology 45:36-9. 2007..We want to establish a set of reference values for MCA and nasal volumes for both adults and children and include values also for the decongested nose and determine the most sensitive measurement for change in nasal patency...
- Sinonasal disease and nasal salineBaran Acar
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:625; author reply 625. 2007
- Nasal eosinophils and reversibility to the decongestion test in patients with perennial allergic rhinitisGiorgio Ciprandi
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:292-5. 2007..338). This study provides evidence of a significant association between nasal eosinophils and the reversibility to the decongestion test in patients with PAR...
- Office-based management of allergic rhinitis in adultsJeffrey M Lehman
Department of Allergy and Immunology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tenn, USA
Am J Med 120:659-63. 2007..Controlled studies support the utility of several available treatments that produce fewer symptoms, improve quality of life, and prevent comorbidities...
- Topical treatment of rhinosinusitisA Fiocchi
Melloni Paediatria and the Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Melloni, Milan, Italy
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 18:62-7. 2007..While saline irrigation, nasal decongestants, steroids, antibiotics, antihistamines and fungicides are all in widespread pediatric use, comparing ..
- Sublingual immunotherapy-induced IL-10 production is associated with changed response to the decongestion test: preliminary resultsGiorgio Ciprandi
A O U San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:574-7. 2007..0016 and p = 0.00294, respectively). This preliminary study provides the first evidence of a changed response to decongestion testing after SLIT that is associated with IL-10 production in patients with PAR...
- Clinical assessment of a nasal decongestion test by visual analog scale in allergic rhinitisGiorgio Ciprandi
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Am J Rhinol 22:502-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to verify the suitability of the use of the visual analog scales (VASs) as a surrogate for rhinomanometry in the decongestion test assessment in patients with persistent allergic rhinitis...
- A new hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatographic (HILIC) procedure for the simultaneous determination of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (PSH), diphenhydramine hydrochloride (DPH) and dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXH) in cough-cold formulationsMohammed Shahid Ali
Jamjoom Pharmaceuticals Company Limited, Industrial Area, Phase 5, Jeddah 21442, Saudi Arabia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:158-67. 2007..Mobile phase pH is manipulated to regulate ionization and ion-exchange interaction and thereby retention of compounds...
- Decongestion test in patients with allergic rhinitis: functional evaluation of nasal airflowGiorgio Ciprandi
Ospedale San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Am J Rhinol 20:224-6. 2006....
- Medical management and diagnosis of chronic rhinosinusitis: A survey of treatment patterns by United States otolaryngologistsScott M Kaszuba
Bobby R Alford Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Communicative Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Rhinol 20:186-90. 2006..This study was performed to identify current patterns of diagnostic criteria and medical treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) by otolaryngologists in the United States...
- Simultaneous analysis of the H1-antihistamine acrivastine and the decongestant pseudoephedrine hydrochloride by high-performance liquid chromatographyXiaochen Gu
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba, 50 Sifton Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
J Pharm Biomed Anal 37:663-7. 2005..This method was used to assay various samples from studies of the commercial preparation Semprex-D capsules. The method was found to be accurate, specific, selective, rapid, and versatile for use in routine quality control analyses...
- Comparison of decongestive capacity of xylometazoline and pseudoephedrine with rhinomanometry and MRIM Caenen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Free University Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Rhinology 43:205-9. 2005..However, there was no decongestive effect whatsoever on the mucosa of the sinuses with either sympathicomimetic...
- [Investigation of the effect of oxymetazoline on the duration of rhinitis]S Reinecke
MMW Fortschr Med 147:46. 2005
- Association between response to decongestion testing and sensitizations and allergic inflammationGiorgio Ciprandi
Dipartimento Patologie Testa Collo, Padiglione Specialità piano terzo, Azienda Ospedale Università San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 96:431-6. 2006..Rhinomanometry is used to measure nasal airflow, which is frequently impaired in allergic rhinitis (AR). Decongestion testing consists of spraying an intranasal vasoconstrictor drug to evaluate recovery of nasal airflow...
- Improved strategies and new treatment options for allergic rhinitisSandra K Willsie
University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, MO, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 102:S7-14. 2002..Future therapeutic options include leukotriene modifiers and anti-IgE antibodies...
- Efficacy of diphenhydramine vs desloratadine and placebo in patients with moderate-to-severe seasonal allergic rhinitisGordon D Raphael
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, Morris Plains, New Jersey 07950, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 96:606-14. 2006..Previous studies have shown that diphenhydramine and desloratadine effectively relieve symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis (SAR)...
- The vascular effects of trace amines and amphetaminesKenneth J Broadley
Division of Pharmacology, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, King Edward VII Avenue, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NB, UK
Pharmacol Ther 125:363-75. 2010..This effect is the basis of their use as nasal decongestants. For over 50 years, they have been assumed to be indirectly acting sympathomimetic amines, their responses ..
- [Drugs and drug abusers]J Schlatter
Service Pharmacie Toxicologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Jean Verdier, Avenue du 14 Juillet, F 93140 Bondy
Presse Med 30:282-7. 2001..Clinical signs of addiction and weaning are observed. OTHERS: Several other drug classes are used by abusers, including analgics, beta-adrenergic agents, nasal vasoconstrictors and corticosteroids...
- Alpha-adrenoceptor agonistic activity of oxymetazoline and xylometazolineBritta Haenisch
University of Bonn, Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 24:729-39. 2010..e. at receptors highly expressed at the mRNA level in human nasal mucosa, could eventually explain why in nasal decongestants oxymetazoline can be used in lower concentrations than xylometazoline.
- Cytotoxic effects of 110 reference compounds on HepG2 cells and for 60 compounds on HeLa, ECC-1 and CHO cells. II mechanistic assays on NAD(P)H, ATP and DNA contentsWillem G E J Schoonen
Department of Pharmacology, N V Organon, Molenstraat 110, 5340 BH Oss, The Netherlands
Toxicol In Vitro 19:491-503. 2005..These compounds were non-narcotic antitussives, nasal decongestants, narcotic analgesics, hypnotics, vasodilators, specific cellular energy blockers, cellular proliferation ..
- The effectiveness of nasal decongestants, oral decongestants and oral decongestant-antihistamines in the treatment of acute otitis media in childrenAhmet Eyibilen
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Gaziosmanpaşa University, Tokat, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 19:289-93. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of nasal decongestants, oral decongestants and oral decongestant-antihistamines in the treatment of acute otitis media and resolution of the middle ear effusion in children.
- Surgery for severe rhinosinusitisE Bradley Strong
Department of Otolaryngology, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, 2521 Stockton Boulevard, Suite 7200, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 25:165-76. 2003..This includes a 4-6 wk course of oral antibiotics, nasal steroids, topical nasal decongestants, and oral prednisone if possible...
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs: update on new findingsM R Henzl
Syntex Research, Palo Alto, California
Am J Obstet Gynecol 166:757-61. 1992..In one series of studies, the effect of nasal mucosal inflammation and the concomitant use of nasal decongestants on the nasal absorption of nafarelin was evaluated in women with perennial rhinitis...
- The clinical and radiological spectrum of reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome. A prospective series of 67 patientsAnne Ducros
Emergency Headache Centre, Lariboisiere Hospital, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75010 Paris, France
Brain 130:3091-101. 2007..to various vasoactive substances in 37, mainly cannabis, selective serotonin-recapture inhibitors and nasal decongestants. The main pattern of presentation (94% of patients) was multiple thunderclap headaches recurring over a ..
- Phenylpropanolamine decreases food intake in rats made hyperphagic by various stimuliF A Moya-Huff
Department of Pharmacology, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, Boston 02115
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 28:71-4. 1987Phenylpropanolamine (PPA, d,l-norephedrine), found in many over-the-counter appetite suppressants and nasal decongestants, induces anorexia by a yet unidentified mechanism...
- The role of the nose in the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep apneaMalcolm Kohler
Pulmonary Division, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 17:33-7. 2009....
- Rhinitis medicamentosa: electron microscopic changes of human nasal mucosaStephan Knipping
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:57-61. 2007..Nasal obstruction is induced by rebound swelling when the decongestive effect has disappeared. The aim of this study was to demonstrate ultrastructural changes in RM...
- Efficacy of isotonic nasal wash (seawater) in the treatment and prevention of rhinitis in childrenIvo Slapak
Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Clinic, Teaching Hospital Brno, Czech Republic
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:67-74. 2008..To evaluate the potential of nasal isotonic saline application to prevent reappearance of cold and flu in children during the winter...
- [Rhinosinusitis in childhood]G Caramia
Primario Emerito di Pediatria e Neonatologia Azienda Ospedaliera Materno Infantile G Salesi, Ancona
Pediatr Med Chir 27:42-9. 2005..Some researcers demonstrated the effectiveness of this approach, also preventig otitis. Nasal decongestants and antinflammatories are useful, too...
- Sleep and allergic rhinitisJ Muliol
Rhinology Unit and Smell Clinic, ENT Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 18:415-9. 2008..of sleep in allergic rhinitis by using medications (antihistamines, topical nasal corticosteroids, nasal decongestants, antileukotrienes) and, finally, the relationship between the sleep apnea syndrome with allergic rhinitis ..
- Toxicity of drugs used for treatment of rhinitis: a reminder to the otorhinolaryngologistA P Balbani
Otorhinolaryngology Department, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Am J Rhinol 14:77-82. 2000..05) and a preponderance among males aged 5-9 years and females aged 10-39 years. Accidental intake of medicines accounted for the majority of toxicity cases (57.2%)...
- Secondhand tobacco smoke exposure and chronic rhinosinusitis: a population-based case-control studyDouglas D Reh
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins Sinus Center, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Am J Rhinol Allergy 23:562-7. 2009..To address this evidence gap, we evaluated the association of SHS and CRS risk in a community-based case-control study of adult nonsmokers...
- Chronic rhinosinusitis gives a ninefold increased risk of chronic headache. The Akershus study of chronic headacheK Aaseth
Head and Neck Research Group, HØKH, Research Centre, Akershus University Hospital, Lørenskog
Cephalalgia 30:152-60. 2010..surgery, nasal corticosteroids, discontinuation of overused headache medications and discontinuation of nasal decongestants or unspecified reasons...
- Mechanisms and mediators of nasal symptoms in non-allergic rhinitisR J Salib
Department of Otolaryngology, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, Southampton, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 38:393-404. 2008..Better understanding of the underlying pathophysiological basis should enable the development of more accurate testing, and better targeted therapeutic options in the future...
- Unapproved prescription cough, cold, and allergy drug products: recent US Food and Drug Administration regulatory action on unapproved cough, cold, and allergy medicationsCraig Ostroff
Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MD 20993 0002, USA
Chest 140:295-300. 2011..The FDA remains committed to its mission of ensuring that safe and effective drugs are available to American consumers...
- Pharmacotherapy of rhinitis and rhinosinusitisMohamad Chaaban
Department of Surgery, Section of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 20:61-71. 2012..In this article, the pharmacotherapy of allergic and nonallergic rhinoconjunctivitis and rhinosinusitis is discussed with emphasis on intranasal steroids, antihistamines, and antibiotics...
- Efficacy and safety of an oral formulation of cetirizine and prolonged-release pseudoephedrine versus budesonide nasal spray in the management of nasal congestion in allergic rhinitisUrsula P Zieglmayer
ENT University Clinic Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Treat Respir Med 4:283-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the decongestant properties and tolerability of oral cetirizine and pseudoephedrine in a prolonged release form with those of nasal (aqueous spray) budesonide...
- Case-control study of a gastroschisis cluster in NevadaLeslie Elliott
University of Nevada, School of Community Health Sciences, Lombardi, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163:1000-6. 2009..To identify potential risk factors associated with a sudden increase in gastroschisis cases in northern Nevada...
- Argyria or cyanosisA C Timmins
Intensive Care Unit, Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske, Truro, Cornwall
Anaesthesia 43:755-6. 1988..The patient was thought to be cyanosed immediately after a total knee replacement. Argyria, its differentiation from cyanosis and its prevention are discussed. The need for a careful drug history is noted...
- Treatment of the common coldMadeline Simasek
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am Fam Physician 75:515-20. 2007..Topical (intranasal) and oral nasal decongestants have been shown to relieve nasal symptoms and can be used in adolescents and adults for up to three days...
- Efficacy and safety of oral phenylephrine: systematic review and meta-analysisRandy C Hatton
Drug Information and Pharmacy Resource Center, Shands at the University of Florida, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:381-90. 2007..Oral phenylephrine is used as a decongestant, yet there has been no previously published systematic review supporting its efficacy and safety...
- Restricting cough and cold medicines in childrenGeoffrey K Isbister
Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Newcastle, Calvary Mater Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 48:91-8. 2012..We aimed to systematically review the evidence for the effectiveness and safety of cough and cold medicines in children...
- [The observation of the ciliotoxicity of nasal mucosa with nasal decongestant]Yishu Teng
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Hospital of Otorhinolaryngology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, 510080, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:824-6. 2005..To study the ciliotoxicity of nasalmucosal with nasal decongestant, in order to choose the appropriate nasal decongestant...
- Over-the-counter cough and cold medication use in young childrenTeresa Ryan
Phoenix Children s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Pediatr Nurs 34:174-80, 184. 2008....
- Effect of oxymetazoline nasal spray on intraocular pressure and retrobulbar hemodynamicsOsman Kursat Arikan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine, Kirikkale University, Kirikkale, Turkey
J Otolaryngol 35:30-5. 2006..To determine the effect of oxymetazoline nasal spray on intraocular pressure and retrobulbar hemodynamics in patients with open-angle glaucoma and to compare the results with those measured in healthy control participants...
- [Pharmacological and clinical evalutation of nasal obstruction: application to xylometazoline]Andre Pradalier
Centre d Allergologie de l Ouest Parisien, Hopital Louis Mourier, Colombes, France
Therapie 61:3-11. 2006..The effects on nasal epithelium ciliary activity which are observed in vitro are modest and even less pronounced in vivo owing to dilution in situ and protective physiological processes...
- Classification of cilio-inhibiting effects of nasal drugsP Merkus
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Laryngoscope 111:595-602. 2001..In this study, the effect of nasal drugs and their excipients on the ciliary beat frequency (CBF) is investigated...
- Medical and surgical management of chronic sinusitisP Eloy
Catholic University of Louvain (UCL, Cliniques Universitaires UCL de Mont-Godinne, Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Yvoir, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 51:271-84. 1997....
- The clinical spectrum of ocular allergyDominique Bremond-Gignac
Department of Ophthalmology, Robert Debre Hospital, 48, bd Serurier, 75019 Paris, France
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2:321-4. 2002..The principal field of research in ocular allergy concerns therapeutic applications and new concepts of physiopathologic mechanisms needed to understand the most optimal treatment that can be delivered...
- Rhinitis medicamentosa: therapeutic effect of diode laser inferior turbinate reduction on nasal obstruction and decongestant abusePhilipp P Caffier
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Charité University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Rhinol 22:433-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate long-term outcomes of an outpatient-based diode laser inferior turbinate reduction (ITR) in therapy-refractory rhinitis medicamentosa (RM)...
- [Adverse cardiovascular and central neurologic reactions to sympathomimetics used as nasal decongestants: results of the French National Pharmacovigilance Survey]Pascale Olivier
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique, centre Midi Pyrénées de pharmacovigilance, de Pharmacoepidemiologie et d Informations sur le Medicament, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse, Faculté de Médecine de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Therapie 58:361-6. 2003..study to identify cardiovascular and neurological adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with the use of nasal decongestants containing a sympathomimetic agent. Of a total of 165 ADRs. 15 were strokes or cerebral haemorrhages...
- [Acute exposure to imidazoline derivatives in children]Fabio Bucaretchi
Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 79:519-24. 2003..To study acute exposure to imidazoline derivatives in 72 children younger than 15 years of age, followed-up from January 1994 to December 1999...
- Nonallergic rhinitisPhil Lieberman
Clinical Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Allergy and Asthma Care, 7205 Wolf River Blvd, Suite 200, Germantown, TN, 38138, USA
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 14:439. 2014..This review will concentrate on chronic nonallergic rhinitis in its various forms, discussing the epidemiology, underlying mechanisms, and its therapy. ..
- Allergic rhinitis. Options for pharmacotherapy and immunotherapyB J Ferguson
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
Postgrad Med 101:117-20, 123-6, 131. 1997..The first article, beginning on page 110, discusses signs, symptoms, and triggering allergens...
- Objective assessment of internal nasal dimensions and speech resonance in individuals with repaired unilateral cleft lip and palate after rhinoseptoplastyInge Elly Kiemle Trindade
Laboratory of Physiology Hospital for Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 20:308-14. 2009....
- Pharmacologic approaches to daytime and nighttime symptoms of allergic rhinitisWilliam W Storms
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Colorado Springs, CO, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:S146-53. 2004..Because of the significant detrimental effects of nocturnal rhinitis symptoms on quality of life, allergic rhinitis therapies should be evaluated for efficacy in ameliorating nighttime symptoms...
- Acute sinusitisGraham Worrall
Memorial University of Newfoundland in St John s
Can Fam Physician 54:82-3. 2008
- [Treatment of inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract -- comparison of a homeopathic complex remedy with xylometazoline]Hermann Ammerschläger
Facharzt für Allgemeinmedizin, Aschaffenburg, Deutschland
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 12:24-31. 2005..Restoration of unrestricted respiration and drainage of the nasal sinuses reduce the risk of further complications (i.e. chronicity)...
- Relationship between nasal cavity volume changes and nasalanceH Birkent
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 123:407-11. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of a nasal decongestant on nasal volumes and nasalance scores, and to determine the relationship between these measures...
- Nasal mucociliary transport: new evidence for a key role of ciliary beat frequencyWilbert M Boek
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Laryngoscope 112:570-3. 2002..Nonetheless, the factors determining mucociliary transport are only partially understood. Ciliary beat frequency is assumed to be one of the main parameters, although the experimental evidence remains inconclusive...
- The role of the nose in the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep apnoea and snoringM Kohler
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Eur Respir J 30:1208-15. 2007..External nasal dilators were used in five studies, topically applied steroids in one, nasal decongestants in two, and surgical treatment in one study...
- Egg sensitization caused by immediate hypersensitivity reaction to drug-containing lysozymeMaria Cristina Artesani
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 101:105. 2008
- Empirical vs natural weighting in random effects meta-analysisJonathan J Shuster
Department of Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, College of Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100177, Gainesville, FL 32610 0177, USA
Stat Med 29:1259-65. 2010....
- OTC use of a topical nasal spray solution containing xylometazoline plus ipratropium in patients with common coldB Strandell
Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 47:744-51. 2009..Combination of xylometazoline and ipratropium in a nasal spray provides fast, effective symptomatic relief of nasal congestion and rhinorrhea in adults with common cold...
- Cough and cold medication use by US children, 1999-2006: results from the slone surveyLouis Vernacchio
Slone Epidemiology Center at Boston University, 1010 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatrics 122:e323-9. 2008..We sought to describe the prevalence and patterns of pediatric use of cough and cold medications, with particular attention to use among young children...
- [Adverse drug reaction as the form of onset of egg sensitization]I Ledesma Benítez
An Pediatr (Barc) 66:424-5. 2007
- Acute urinary retention due to pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in a 3-year-old childTutku Soyer
Departments of Pediatric Surgery, Ankara Guven Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 50:98-100. 2008..The aim of this case report is to emphasize the clinical importance and differential diagnosis of PEH overdose in children and to discuss the appropriate treatment approach to PEH overdose in the emergency department...
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..A preliminary estimate of the effect size of xylitol treatment from the pilot RCT will suggest whether the effect if sufficiently large to warrant a large formal RCT to be proposed. ..
- CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF METHAMPHETAMINE STEREOISOMERSJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Primary outcome measures include drug and metabolite measurements in plasma and urine and subjective and cardiovascular measures, including 2D echocardiography. ..
- Interleukin-4 effects on calcium in airway smooth muscleJOHN MADISON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Studies will be done with freshly-dispersed bovine and cultured human airway smooth muscle cells. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2009..These methods and biomarkers may be of diagnostic value. They will be useful for assessing longitudinal changes in disease severity, phenotype, or the effects of treatment. ..
- MDMA Dependence and Discontinuation SyndromeJohn Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Addiction to MDMA appears to be a serious risk of use; our studies will carefttlly define important clinical features of this emerging disorder. ..
- Clinical Pharmacology of 3,4-Methylenedioxy AmphetaminesJohn E Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2010..This experiment will investigate the role of alpha-1 adrenergic receptors in the action of MDMA and will provide preliminary data on the possible use of prazosin in the treatment of acute MDMA toxicity. ..