Summary: Oleagenous substances used topically to soothe, soften or protect skin or mucous membranes. They are used also as vehicles for other dermatologic agents.
Publications200 found, 100 shown here
- Promoting skin healthSara Burr
Nurs Stand 19:57-65; quiz 66. 2005..It discusses the key structures of the skin and its functions, the role of emollient therapy in children and adults, and external environmental factors...
- It's a wrap: the use of wet pajamas in wet-wrap dressings for atopic dermatitisKelly L Barham
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Dermatol Nurs 17:365-7. 2005
- Emollients: application of topical treatments to the skinGail Dunning
York Hospital Foundation Trust
Br J Nurs 16:1342-5. 2007..b>Emollients have an as important part to play in the treatment of all dry skin conditions...
- [Do emollients prevent active episodes of atopic dermatitis?]K Khadir
Ann Dermatol Venereol 135:139-40. 2008
- Evidence-based skin care management in radiation therapyMaurene McQuestion
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Semin Oncol Nurs 22:163-73. 2006..To review published studies evaluating interventions for the prevention and management of radiation skin reactions/dermatitis...
- Emollients, moisturizers, and keratolytic agents in psoriasisJoachim W Fluhr
Bioskin, Seydelstr 18, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Clin Dermatol 26:380-6. 2008b>Emollients, moisturizers, and keratolytic agents are essential in the topical treatment of psoriasis. They are adjuvants for classic treatments and help to reduce the scale load of individual patients...
- The role of emollients in the management of diseases with chronic dry skinE Proksch
Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 21:75-80. 2008..Within the overall treatment regimen for these diseases, the use of emollients to manage dry skin plays a considerable role in managing skin conditions...
- Role of topical emollients and moisturizers in the treatment of dry skin barrier disordersMarie Lodén
ACO HUD AB, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Clin Dermatol 4:771-88. 2003b>Emollients and moisturizing creams are used to break the dry skin cycle and to maintain the smoothness of the skin...
- Gentamicin ointment versus petrolatum for management of auricular woundsRoss M Campbell
Department of Dermatology, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:664-9. 2005..This study supports the cost-effective and potentially less irritating use of petrolatum for wound care in this difficult to manage area...
- A cost-utility analysis of pimecrolimus vs. topical corticosteroids and emollients for the treatment of mild and moderate atopic eczemaM Pitt
Peninsula Technology Assessment Group, Peninsula Medical School, Dean Clarke House, Southernhay East, Exeter EX1 1PQ, U K
Br J Dermatol 154:1137-46. 2006Conventional treatments for atopic eczema include topical corticosteroids (TCS) and emollients. Pimecrolimus, an immunosuppressant, was licensed in the U.K. in 2003 as an alternative treatment of mild to moderate atopic eczema.
- Tretinoin cream 0.02% for the treatment of photodamaged facial skin: a review of 2 double-blind clinical studiesJ Nyirady
Johnson and Johnson Consumer Products Worldwide, Skillman, New Jersey 08558-9418, USA
Cutis 68:135-42. 2001..02% was well tolerated overall and demonstrated a favorable safety profile. Both studies demonstrated that tretinoin cream 0.02% is safe and effective for the treatment of moderate-to-severe photodamaged facial skin...
- Emollients and the response of facial skin to a cold environmentA Thorleifsson
Department of Dermatology D92, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 148:1149-52. 2003It is debated whether the use of emollients, in cold weather, constitutes a protective factor or a risk factor for frostbite.
- Emollients improve treatment results with topical corticosteroids in childhood atopic dermatitis: a randomized comparative studyJolanta Szczepanowska
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology, Wroclaw Medical University, Wroclaw, Poland
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 19:614-8. 2008The aim of the study was to investigate whether adding emollients to the standard topical corticosteroid therapy influences the outcome of children with atopic dermatitis...
- Moisturizing body milk as a reservoir of Burkholderia cepacia: outbreak of nosocomial infection in a multidisciplinary intensive care unitFrancisco Alvarez-Lerma
Service of Intensive Care Medicine, Hospital Universitari del Mar, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Crit Care 12:R10. 2008..An outbreak of severe nosocomial Burkholderia cepacia infections in patients admitted to intensive care unit (ICU), including investigation of the reservoir, is described...
- Niacinamide-containing facial moisturizer improves skin barrier and benefits subjects with rosaceaZoe Diana Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 76:135-41. 2005..Instruments provided objective measures of stratum corneum barrier function and hydration on the face...
- Effect of topical treatment with skin barrier-enhancing emollients on nosocomial infections in preterm infants in Bangladesh: a randomised controlled trialGary L Darmstadt
Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 365:1039-45. 2005..Our aim was to ascertain whether topical application of emollients to enhance skin barrier function would prevent nosocomial infections in this population.
- Treatment of patients with atopic dermatitis using wet-wrap dressings with diluted steroids and/or emollients. An expert panel's opinion and review of the literatureA P Oranje
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:1277-86. 2006....
- Measuring the effects of topical moisturizers on changes in stratum corneum thickness, water gradients and hydration in vivoJ M Crowther
Procter and Gamble Technical Centres Ltd, Rusham Park, Whitehall Lane, Egham, Surrey, TW20 9NW, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:567-77. 2008....
- Facilitating facial retinization through barrier improvementZoe Diana Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 78:275-81. 2006....
- Improvement in skin barrier function in patients with atopic dermatitis after treatment with a moisturizing cream (Canoderm)M Loden
Research and Development, ACO HUD AB, Box 542, S 18215 Danderyd, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 140:264-7. 1999..05). Thus, it seems that certain moisturizers could improve skin barrier function in atopics and reduce skin susceptibility to irritants. The mechanism and the clinical relevance need further investigation...
- Dermal tolerance of Sterillium, a propanol-based hand rubG Kampf
Bode Chemie GmbH and Co, Scientific Affairs, Melanchthonstrasse 27, 22525 Hamburg, Germany
J Hosp Infect 55:295-8. 2003..potential for dermal irritation and sensitization of commercially available propanol-based hand rubs containing emollients has not been studied systematically...
- Does hand care ruin hand disinfection?P Heeg
Department of Hospital Infection Control, Tuebingen University Hospitals, Eberhard Karls University, Germany
J Hosp Infect 48:S37-9. 2001..Our data suggest that administration of selected products for hand care does not necessarily impair hand disinfection and is therefore recommended for occupational health as well as for infection control reasons...
- Moisturizers: what they are and a practical approach to product selectionJ N Kraft
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Skin Therapy Lett 10:1-8. 2005..They contain varying combinations of emollients, occlusives, and humectants to achieve their beneficial effects, and there is an overwhelming number of ..
- Skin care in the well term newborn: two systematic reviewsLynne Walker
Fylde and Wyre National Health Service Hospital Trust, Blackpool, England
Birth 32:224-8. 2005..of dry, cracked, or flaking skin in the perinatal period, and short- and long-term consequences of the use of emollients, lotions, or moisturizers for dry skin...
- Atopic eczema: nurse-led care--2. TreatmentsSandra Lawton
Queen's Medical Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham
J Fam Health Care 15:51-4. 2005..The principles of selecting and using emollients and the use of topical corticosteroids are also discussed...
- Clinical practice. Atopic dermatitisHywel C Williams
Center of Evidence-Based Dermatology, Queen's Medical Center, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 352:2314-24. 2005
- Exploring the use of emollient therapy in dermatological nursingJill Peters
Ipswich Primary Care Trust
Br J Nurs 14:494-502. 2005..This is done through education, negotiation and trial of emollients. Health practitioners should ensure that patients understand how the environment challenges the skin, the ..
- The effect of ceramide-containing skin care products on eczema resolution durationZoe Diana Draelos
Dermatology Consulting Services, High Point, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 81:87-91. 2008..Thus, skin care product selection can have an important clinical effect on the clearance of mild to moderate eczema...
- A guide to emollient therapyAllyson Brown
Skin and Wound Care Service, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Plymouth
Nurs Stand 19:68, 70, 72 passim. 2005Although the benefits of emollient therapy have been widely acknowledged in dermatology treatments (Cork 1997), emollients have tended to be undervalued and under-used in general care and wound management...
- Protection effect of cosmetics on human skin under simulated rigorous environmentYan Cheng
Beijing Sino German Union Cosmetic Institute Co, Chinese Academy of Inspection and Quarantine, Beijing, China
Skin Res Technol 14:45-52. 2008..The aim of this study was to develop a model for the evaluation of the efficacy of cosmetics on human skin under simulated rigorous environment...
- Adjunctive skin care in the management of rosacea: cleansers, moisturizers, and photoprotectantsJames Q Del Rosso
Department of Dermatology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, USA
Cutis 75:17-21; discussion 33-6. 2005..This review summarizes information regarding 3 classes of these products--cleansers, moisturizers, and photoprotectants--with emphasis on barrier function and skin irritation...
- Kinetics of moisturizing and firming effects of cosmetic formulationsE Xhauflaire-Uhoda
Department of Dermatopathology, University Hospital of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Int J Cosmet Sci 30:131-8. 2008..A sustained tensor (firming) effect was observed during treatment with both the lotion and the cream. However, no remnant firming effect was perceived after stopping treatment...
- The clinical benefit of moisturizersM Loden
ACO HUD AB, Stockholm, Sweden
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 19:672-88; quiz 686-7. 2005..Furthermore, s/he will know more about the relief of dryness symptoms and the functional changes of the skin induced by moisturizers...
- Concepts in skin care maintenanceZoe Diana Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 76:19-25. 2005....
- Use of moisturizers in dermatologic disease: the role of healthcare providers in optimizing treatment outcomesNoreen Heer Nicol
National Jewish Medical and Research Center, University of Colorado, Denver, USA
Cutis 76:26-31. 2005..In addition to topical moisturizers, medications, wet wraps, and hydration therapy has become a frequently used practice in the management of atopic dermatitis...
- Integration of moisturizers and cleansers into a busy dermatology practiceRobert Higham
Mid Valley Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery Center, Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Cutis 76:32-3. 2005..Incorporating these tips into a dermatology practice may provide patients with the desired information and may improve the clinical outcomes of patients with these often challenging dermatologic conditions...
- Lipophilic and hydrophilic moisturizers show different actions on human skin as revealed by cryo scanning electron microscopyJulia Caussin
Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
Exp Dermatol 16:891-8. 2007..Summarizing, SC cells are not equally sensitive to moisturizer application: centrally located corneocytes are more sensitive than corneocytes in the upper and the lowest regions of the SC...
- Skin barrier function and the use of emollients in dermatological nursingSandra Lawton
Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham, UK
Br J Nurs 16:712, 714, 716, 718-9. 2007..This article explores the barrier function of the skin, factors which influence skin barrier function and the use of emollients for dry skin and skin conditions.
- Patchy eczema of elderly patientsWilliam D James
Cutis 80:18. 2007
- Evaluation of barrier creams against sulphur mustard: (II) In vivo and in vitro studies using the domestic white pigRobert P Chilcott
Chemical Hazards and Poisons Division, Health Protection Agency, Chilton, Didcot, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 26:235-47. 2007..cm(-2), respectively), further validating the use of pigs as a toxicologically-relevant dermal model for SM exposure...
- Fluorescent silica colloids for study and visualization of skin care productsSwaminathan Iyer
Department of Physics, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY 13699 5820, USA
Skin Res Technol 13:317-22. 2007..Here, we describe a novel method based on non-contact optical measurements to trace the location and dynamics of skin care products on the skin...
- [Indications for sunflower oil concentrate in the treatment of atopic dermatitis]Gerardo López Pérez
Alergólogo infectólogo pediatra, Servicio de alergia del Instituto Nacional de Pediatria, Mexico, D F
Rev Alerg Mex 53:217-25. 2006..This article includes a series of concepts that justify the use of sunflower oil concentrated like a weapon of forward edge in the treatment of these morbidities...
- Levels of nickel and other potentially allergenic metals in Ni-tested commercial body creamsB Bocca
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Department of Environment and Primary Prevention, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 44:1197-202. 2007..Nevertheless, some creams presented amounts of Co and Cr comparable to those of Ni and therefore they have to be monitored in consideration of their cross-reactivity as well...
- Impaired skin barrier function in dermatologic disease and repair with moisturizationMark Lebwohl
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Cutis 76:7-12. 2005..Some emollients also supply the compromised stratum corneum with vital lipids and accelerate barrier recovery...
- Acceptability of massage with skin barrier-enhancing emollients in young neonates in BangladeshA S M Nawshad Uddin Ahmed
Department of Neonatology, Bangladesh Institute of Child Health, Dhaka Shishu Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 25:236-40. 2007..study was carried out to gain insights into oil-massage practices and acceptability of skin barrier-enhancing emollients in young, preterm Bangladeshi neonates...
- An in vivo model to evaluate the efficacy of barrier creams on the level of skin penetration of chemicalsAlexa Teichmann
Center of Experimental and Applied Cutaneous Physiology, Department of Dermatology, Medical Faculty Charité, Schumannstr 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 54:5-13. 2006....
- Increased susceptibility to Staphylococcus aureus colonization of the skin of the NOA mouse: a potentially useful animal model for evaluating antiseptic effectsTaizo Kondo
Division of Pharmacology, Drug Safety and Metabolism, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc, Naruto, Tokushima, Japan
Exp Anim 55:49-56. 2006..The antiseptic effects of an ointment and a lotion containing chlorhexidine gluconate were confirmed using this animal model...
- Avoiding allergic contact dermatitis in patients with venous leg ulcersPauline Beldon
Epsom and St Helier University Hospital, NHS Trust, Surrey, UK
Br J Community Nurs 11:S6, S8, S10-2. 2006..This article explores how the practitioner can recognize allergic contact dermatitis in a patient with a venous leg ulcer and avoid the use of avoid potential skin sensitizers during management...
- An overview of atopic eczema in children: a significant diseaseSteve Gill
Birmingham Children's Hospital
Br J Nurs 15:494-9. 2006..This often breaks down and becomes infected, partly as a result of the close relationship of atopic eczema and the organism Staphylococcus aureus, which is found on the skin of most children with atopic eczema (Goodyear, 1993)...
- Placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized, prospective study of a glycerol-based emollient on eczematous skin in atopic dermatitis: biophysical and clinical evaluationM Breternitz
Skin Physiology Laboratory, Department of Dermatology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 21:39-45. 2008..The therapeutic management of AD is difficult and needs individualized concepts. Moisturizing creams and emollients are useful and important treatment adjuncts for the daily skin care of patients with dry and inflamed skin, e.g...
- The effect of bilayer and hexagonal H(II) phase lipid films on transepidermal water lossSameersingh G Raney
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Exp Dermatol 15:493-500. 2006..This results in the formation of a durable surface barrier capable of significantly reducing TEWL from damaged skin...
- Clobetasol propionate for psoriasis: are ointments really more potent?Lindsey Warino
Ohio State University College of Medicine, School of Public Health, Columbus, OH, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 5:527-32. 2006..We excluded studies conducted before 1980 and those that allowed concomitant treatments...
- Understanding psoriasis and the treatment optionsJane Freak
Wessex Cancer Trust MARC's Line, Dermatology, Salisbury District Hospital
Nurs Times 102:47, 49. 2006
- MoisturizersJasna Lipozencic
University Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Zagreb University Hospital Center, Salata 4 HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 14:104-8. 2006..These agents mimic natural ingredients. Application of moisturizers can serve as important adjunctive therapy for patients with various dermatologic disorders...
- Skin capacitance in normal and atopic infants, and effects of moisturizers on atopic skinTomoaki Matsumoto
Department of Child Development, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
J Dermatol 34:447-50. 2007..The reference values for skin capacitance may be helpful for delineating normal from atopic skin. Certain moisturizers can increase skin hydration...
- Topical tacrolimus 0.1% ointment (protopic) reverses nickel contact dermatitis elicited by allergen challenge to a similar degree to mometasone furoate 0.1% with greater suppression of late erythemaA Alomar
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Sant Antoni Maria Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Contact Dermatitis 49:185-8. 2003..5). This method might provide useful means to compare different concentrations and/or presentations of tacrolimus or other calcineurin inhibitors and topical anti-inflammatory agents...
- Moisturizer technology versus clinical performanceA V Rawlings
AVR Consulting, Ltd, Cheshire, UK
Dermatol Ther 17:49-56. 2004..The complementary occlusive activity of emollients contributes to SC hydration as well...
- Intact skin--an integrity not to be lostR Gary Sibbald
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto
Ostomy Wound Manage 49:27-8, 30, 33 passim, contd. 2003..The healthcare provider's role in this team should emphasize continuity of care, patient satisfaction, and product selection - all vital to protecting skin integrity...
- [NMF and cosmetology of cutaneous hydration]J-P Marty
, , 5, ,
Ann Dermatol Venereol 129:131-6. 2002....
- Protocol to predict the dry skin benefit from the unique in-shower body lotion product formKeith Ertel
The Procter and Gamble Company, Sharon Woods Innovation Center, Cincinnati, OH 45241, USA
J Cosmet Sci 59:253-62. 2008..The resulting protocol is consumer-relevant, and reliably and reproducibly predicts dry skin improvement from the in-shower body lotion product form...
- The skin barrier and use of moisturizers in atopic dermatitisMarie Lodén
Research and Development Department, ACO Hud, Sweden
Clin Dermatol 21:145-57. 2003
- Recommendation of moisturizers and cleansers: a study of unmet needs among dermatology patientsDiane Berson
New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY, USA
Cutis 76:3-6. 2005..In addition, it was found that overall patient satisfaction with the care received from their dermatologist is driven by communication...
- Hydration and plasticity following long-term use of a moisturizer: a single-blind studyGregor B E Jemec
Department of Medicine, Roskilde Hospital, Denmark
Acta Derm Venereol 82:322-4. 2002..No dose-response effect was seen, however. Long-term use of moisturizers increases skin capacitance significantly, but does not change the mechanical properties. In vivo skin hydration is a poor predictor of skin mechanics...
- Ceramide-dominant barrier repair lipids alleviate childhood atopic dermatitis: changes in barrier function provide a sensitive indicator of disease activitySarah L Chamlin
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:198-208. 2002..Yet commonly used emollients and moisturizers do not correct the SC ceramide deficiency, the putative cause of the barrier abnormality...
- In vivo measurement of human skin absorption of topically applied substances by a photoacoustic techniqueG Gutierrez-Juarez
Instituto de Fisica, Universidad de Guanajuato, Gto, Mexico
Physiol Meas 23:521-32. 2002..The time constants associated with the rates of absorption, were found to vary in the range between 10 and 58 min, depending on the substance and the part of the body...
- Friction coefficient of skin in real-timeRaja K Sivamani
Center for Tribology, Inc, Campbell, CA, USA
Skin Res Technol 9:235-9. 2003..CONCLUSION: The UMT is capable of making real-time measurements on the skin and can be used as an effective tool to study friction properties. Results from the UMT measurements agree closely with theory regarding the skin surface...
- Randomised controlled trial of short bursts of a potent topical corticosteroid versus prolonged use of a mild preparation for children with mild or moderate atopic eczemaK S Thomas
Centre of Evidence-Based Dermatology, Queen's Medial Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH
BMJ 324:768. 2002..CONCLUSION: A short burst of a potent topical corticosteroid is just as effective as prolonged use of a milder preparation for controlling mild or moderate atopic eczema in children...
- Moisturizers: what they are and how they workC W Lynde
Department of Dermatology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Skin Therapy Lett 6:3-5. 2001..Different classes of moisturizers are based on their mechanism of action, including occlusives, humectants, emollients and protein rejuvenators...
- Intermittent dosing of fluticasone propionate cream for reducing the risk of relapse in atopic dermatitis patientsJ Hanifin
Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland OR, U.S.A
Br J Dermatol 147:528-37. 2002..years) with moderate or severe AD were enrolled into an open-label Stabilization Phase of up to 4 weeks on daily emollients plus FP twice daily...
- Wound Care Product Primer for the Nurse Practitioner: Part IIKimberly Bookout
Children's Medical Center, Dallas TX 75235, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 22:205-7. 2008
- Doxepin affects acetylcholine induced cutaneous reactions in atopic eczemaD Groene
Department of Dermatology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, 91052 Erlangen, Germany
Exp Dermatol 10:110-7. 2001..This is probably caused by rehydrating and moisturizing effects...
- The safety of calcitriol 3 microg/g ointment. Evaluation of cutaneous contact sensitization, cumulative irritancy, photoallergic contact sensitization and phototoxicityC Queille-Roussel
CPCAD, , BP 3079, 06202 Nice cedex, France
Eur J Dermatol 11:219-24. 2001..These studies showed that calcitriol 3 microg/g ointment is a well-tolerated treatment for stable plaque-type psoriasis...
- Functional assessment of a skin care system in patients on chemotherapyJ W Fluhr
Skin Physiology Laboratory, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 20:253-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to verify whether a concomitant treatment with an acidic washing and an acidic emollient (both pH 5.5) can significantly improve the quality of the skin in such patients...
- Improved risk-benefit ratio for topical triamcinolone acetonide in Transfersome in comparison with equipotent cream and ointment: a randomized controlled trialH Fesq
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Technical University Munich, Biedersteinerstr 29, 80802 Munich, Germany
Br J Dermatol 149:611-9. 2003..Transfersome is a drug delivery technology based on highly deformable, ultraflexible lipid vesicles which penetrate the skin when applied non-occlusively...
- Some Nigerian plants of dermatologic importanceFrances O A Ajose
Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Int J Dermatol 46:48-55. 2007..Nigerians still depend largely on crude herbal remedies or traditional medicine. They also use wild plants for cosmetics and perfumery. Some of these herbal remedies have been observed to be effective in certain skin diseases...
- [Pruritus and the hepatitis C virus. The MULTIVIRC Unit]H Dega
, , Paris
Ann Dermatol Venereol 125:9-12. 1998..Dermatology treatment associated antihistamine agents, emollients, and corticosteroids. This population of hepatology patients referred for pruritis comprised 2.5 p...
- Bacterial skin infections in the elderly: diagnosis and treatmentSimone Laube
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Drugs Aging 19:331-42. 2002..b>Emollients and antihistamines are useful measures...
- The world's longest surviving paediatric practices: some themes of Aboriginal medical ethnobotany in AustraliaJohn Pearn
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 41:284-90. 2005..They are prepared as infusions, decoctions and macerations and may be enjoined with emollients such as emu or kangaroo fat for topical application...
- Food-induced acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis in a pregnant womanSonya Valkova
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University Hospital, Pleven, Bulgaria
Skinmed 5:199-201. 2006..05%, and emollients. As a result, her fever disappeared and her erythema faded...
- [Pellagra]Palokinam T Pitche
Service de Dermatologie, CHU Tokoin, Faculté de médecine et de pharmacie de Lomé, BP 81056 Lomé, Togo
Sante 15:205-8. 2005..Topical management of skin lesions with emollients may reduce discomfort...
- Epidemiologic background of hand hygiene and evaluation of the most important agents for scrubs and rubsGunter Kampf
Bode Chemie GmbH and Co, Scientific Affairs, Melanchthonstrasse 27, 22525 Hamburg, Germany
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:863-93, table of contents. 2004..Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guideline, promotion of alcohol-based hand rubs containing various emollients instead of irritating soaps and detergents is one strategy to reduce skin damage, dryness, and irritation...
- Cutaneous reactions due to diltiazem and cross reactivity with other calcium channel blockersM A Gonzalo Garijo
Servico de Alergologia, Hospital Universitario Infanta Cristina, Badajoz, Spain
Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 33:238-40. 2005..Patch testing has been used as confirmatory testing in patients with extensive cutaneous reactions. Cross-reactivity among these drugs have not been established...
- Exacerbation of allergic contact dermatitis during immunosuppression with cyclosporine AF Prignano
Interuniversitary Center of Biologic and Psychosomatic Dermatology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
G Ital Dermatol Venereol 145:543-6. 2010..Topical treatments consist of bland emollients, corticosteroids ointments, topical immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus ointments, coal tar and ..
- Diagnostic dilemma: crusted scabies superimposed on psoriatic erythroderma in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndromeBrian S Fuchs
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Skinmed 6:142-4. 2007..The patient had been diagnosed with psoriasis 2 years previously, and at the time of presentation was using emollients and topical corticosteroid creams with little improvement...
- Efficacy and safety of pimecrolimus cream in the long-term management of atopic dermatitis in childrenUlrich Wahn
Department of Pediatric Pneumology and Immunology, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Pediatrics 110:e2. 2002..We assessed whether early treatment of AD signs/symptoms with pimecrolimus could influence long-term outcome by preventing disease flares...
- Local narrowband UVB phototherapy vs. local PUVA in the treatment of chronic hand eczemaEngin Sezer
Department of Dermatology, Gaziosmanpasa University School of Medicine, Tokat, Turkey
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 23:10-4. 2007..The aim of our study was to compare the efficacy and safety of local narrowband UVB phototherapy with paint-PUVA in patients with chronic hand eczema of dry and dyshidrotic types unresponsive to conventional therapies...
- Low dose methotrexate therapy is effective in late-onset atopic dermatitis and idiopathic eczemaLilach Zoller
Department of Dermatology, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 10:413-4. 2008..Methotrexate therapy has been suggested as a useful immunosuppressant in adult atopic dermatitis...
- Clinical quiz. Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome (synonyms: broad thumbs and great toes, characteristic facies, and mental retardation -- broad thumb-hallux syndrome)Jean Kanitakis
Department of Dermatology, Hopital Edouard Herriot, 69437 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Eur J Dermatol 12:107, 108-9. 2002..lesions of the limbs and the back that had been present for some years and were recurrent despite treatment with emollients and local steroids. Androgenetic-type alopecia of moderate severity was seen on the vertex of the scalp...
- A randomized comparison of an emollient containing skin-related lipids with a petrolatum-based emollient as adjunct in the treatment of chronic hand dermatitisM Kucharekova
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Contact Dermatitis 48:293-9. 2003..Topically applied lipids may interfere with skin barrier function, and emollients containing skin-related lipids have been suggested to facilitate repair of the skin barrier...
- Atypical X-linked ichthyosis in a patient with a large deletion involving the steroid sulfatase (STS) geneLuz Gonzalez-Huerta
Servicio de Genetica, Hospital General de Mexico, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico D F, Mexico
Int J Dermatol 48:142-4. 2009..Treatment included emollients exclusively with partial and temporary remission of cutaneous lesions...
- [Lichenoid pityriasis (parapsoriasis guttata) in children. Report of 17 cases]C Klene
Service de Dermatologie Pédiatrique, cours de l Argonne, Bordeaux
Ann Pediatr (Paris) 38:469-75. 1991..No truly effective therapy is available. However, oral macrolides can be used especially in patients with early manifestations suggesting an infectious disease. Emollients, heliotherapy and ultraviolet therapy may also be recommended.
- Dermatological aspects of a successful introduction and continuation of alcohol-based hand rubs for hygienic hand disinfectionG Kampf
Bode Chemie GmbH and Co, Scientific Affairs, Melanchthonstr 27, 22525 Hamburg, Germany
J Hosp Infect 55:1-7. 2003..Prevention of irritant contact dermatitis is possible by selection of a low-irritating hand rub, which contains emollients, the correct use of the hand rub and a clear guideline when to disinfect and wash hands in the clinical setting...
- The effect of two skin cleansing systems on moderate xerotic eczemaZoe Diana Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:883-8. 2004..Traditional dermatologic therapy includes the use of emollients, medium or high potency topical corticosteroids, and a change in bathing habits.
- Significant improvement of eczema with skin care and food elimination in small childrenGunilla Norrman
Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Division of Paediatrics, Linkoping University, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 94:1384-8. 2005..To evaluate common methods of investigation and treatment in children younger than 2 y of age with eczema, with or without sensitization to food allergens...
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of n-3 versus n-6 fatty acid-based lipid infusion in atopic dermatitisPeter Mayser
Department of Dermatology, Center for Dermatology and Andrology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:151-8. 2002..Free eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), a fish oil-derived alternative (n-3) fatty acid, may compete with AA, resulting in an anti-inflammatory effect...
- Interaction of commonly used emollients with photochemotherapyA Boyvat
Department of Dermatology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Turkey
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 16:156-60. 2000Even though emollients are commonly used in combination with photochemotherapy, we still lack guidance for the selection of the appropriate emollient to be used in combination with photochemotherapy...
- Comparison of treatment protocols for removing metallic foreign objects from the ventriculus of budgerigars (Melopsittacus undulatus)Corina Lupu
Montreal Bird and Exotic Veterinary Hospital, 6090 Sherbrooke St W, Montreal, QC H4A 1Y1, Canada
J Avian Med Surg 23:186-93. 2009..of 6 different treatment protocols: psyllium with grit, acidic drinking water, fine grit, coarse grit, cathartic emollients (peanut butter and mineral oil), and a control group...
- Contact dermatitis: epidemiology and frequent sensitizers to cosmeticsT L Diepgen
Department of Social Medicine, Center of Occupational and Environmental Dermatology, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:9-13. 2007..Patients can be advised about the use of personal protective equipment and creams and emollients to avoid or ameliorate their condition, but there is little epidemiological evidence for their efficacy...
- Drug delivery systems for local anestheticsEneida de Paula
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Recent Pat Drug Deliv Formul 4:23-34. 2010..composed by a diversity of adjuvants (viscosity inducing agents, preservatives, permeation enhancers, emollients,) and presentations such as semisolid (gel, creams, ointments), liquid (o/w and w/o emulsions, dispersions) and ..
- Risk factors for sclerema neonatorum in preterm neonates in BangladeshAmna Zeb
Department of International Health, International Center for Advancing Neonatal Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:435-8. 2009..This study presents a retrospective analysis of risk factors for sclerema neonatorum in preterm neonates in Bangladesh...
- [Skin care and skin protection in preterm babies]Astrid Körner
Universitäts Kinderspital beider Basel, Basel
Pflege 22:266-76. 2009..databases addressed the following topics: Skin-assessment, selection and use of adhesives, skin care with emollients, and body cleaning (wash interval)...
- Impact of Sunflower Oil Massage on Neonatal Mortality in NepalLuke C Mullany; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is increasing evidence of the role of the neonatal skin and the potential for newborn massage with topical emollients in providing protection from invasive pathogens...
- Novel Topical Treatment for Disorders of KeratinizationBakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Current treatment options include the use of emollients and moisturizers, and keratolytic agents including salicylic acid, urea, or alpha hydroxy acids...
- GANGLIOSIDE GENE MODULATION EFFECT ON CELL MOTILITYAmy Paller; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide information about the role of gangliosides in caveolin-1 mediated signaling and may lead to novel therapies for patients with abnormal healing responses. ..
- GANGLIOSIDE GENE MODULATION EFFECT ON CELL MOTILITYAmy Paller; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Applied Research in Antimicrobial Resistance: Studies of Susceptibility TestingLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- Outcomes of Omission of Radiation With Lumpectomy (BCS) Among Low-Income WomenRoger Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- Improving Antimicrobial Prescribing Practices in the Neonatal Intensive Care UnitLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Antimicrobial Prescribing Practices in the Neonatal Intensive Care UnitLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Training in Interdisciplinary Research to Reduce Antimicrobial Resistance (TIRAR)Elaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2009..These evaluationswill be a focal point of discussion in the Faculty Development Seminar, and suitable program modifications will be implemented by the Leadership Team. ..
- Distribution of the Costs of Antimicrobial Resistant InfectionsELAINE LUCILLE LARSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..The analyses will match patients with resistant infections (hospital- and community-acquired) to susceptible patients and to uninfected patients. _^ ..
- Training in Interdisciplinary Research to Reduce Antimicrobial Resistance (TIRAR)ELAINE LUCILLE LARSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..These evaluationswill be a focal point of discussion in the Faculty Development Seminar, and suitable program modifications will be implemented by the Leadership Team. ..
- Patterns of Patient Care in AppalachiaRoger T Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., high volume of cancer care, comprehensive treatment center and oncologist practice);and (iii) Facility volume, type, comprehensiveness and accredited status, and surgeon case volume, training status, and vintage. ..
- Breast and Prostate Cancer Data Quality and Patterns of Care Study in NCRoger Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..5) Participate in the analysis of aggregate data and follow common protocols of the collaborative PoC group. ..
- Outcomes of Omission of Radiation With Lumpectomy (BCS) Among Low-Income WomenRoger Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Staff Hand Hygiene and Nosocomial Infections in NeonatesElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- STAFF HAND HYGIENE AND NOSOCOMIAL INFECTION IN NEONATESElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results of this study can be generalized to many clinical settings. ..
- HOME HYGIENE INTERVENTIONElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Logistic regression, Liang-Zeger regression, and Chi Square analyses will be used to test differences in rates of transmission of symptoms and changes in quantity, types and resistance patterns of microbial flora of the hands. ..
- Phase I Clinical Trials of New Anticancer AgentsPatricia LoRusso; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Preterm Infants: Light Effects on Health and DevelopmentDebra Brandon; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pimecrolius on T cell Responses in Atopic MarchJonathan Spergel; Fiscal Year: 2007..In third aim of the trial, we explore the effects of pimecrolimus as a disease-modifying agent in the prevention of asthma. Asthma phenotype will be examined by spirometry per and post-beta-2-agonist and exhaled nitric oxide. ..
- Interdisciplinary Research:Antimicrobial Resistance(RMI)Elaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the final year, plans for a sustainable Consortium on antimicrobial resistance will be formalized. ..
- Impact of Hand Hygiene Guideline on Infections and CostsElaine Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..