Genomes and Genes
Summary: A loosely defined grouping of drugs that have effects on psychological function. Here the psychotropic agents include the antidepressive agents, hallucinogens, and tranquilizing agents (including the antipsychotics and anti-anxiety agents).
Publications276 found, 100 shown here
- Akt/GSK3 signaling in the action of psychotropic drugsJean Martin Beaulieu
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Université Laval CRULRG, Quebec, Canada
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 49:327-47. 2009b>Psychotropic drugs acting on monoamine neurotransmission are major pharmacological treatments for neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, Tourette syndrome, ADHD, and Alzheimer disease...
- Psychotropic medication use among nursing home residents in Austria: a cross-sectional studyEva Mann
General practice and Institute for Health Services Research, Rankweil, Austria
BMC Geriatr 9:18. 2009..In Austria, prevalence data are lacking. We aimed to determine the prevalence of psychotropic medication prescription in Austrian nursing homes and to explore characteristics associated with their prescription...
- Abrupt discontinuation of psychotropic drugs during pregnancy: fear of teratogenic risk and impact of counsellingA Einarson
Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto ON 5G 1X8
J Psychiatry Neurosci 26:44-8. 2001..To assess the consequences to mother and baby of abruptly discontinuing antidepressant or benzodiazepine medication during pregnancy and to assess the impact of our counselling...
- Genetic dissection of behavioural and autonomic effects of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in miceKrisztina Monory
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
PLoS Biol 5:e269. 2007....
- Administrative initiatives for reducing inappropriate prescribing of psychotropic drugs in nursing homes: how successful have they been?Carmel M Hughes
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Drugs Aging 22:339-51. 2005..Exemplars of innovative prescribing models, involving pharmacists and encouraging resident-centred care, may offer a more palatable approach to improving drug use in this vulnerable population...
- Regulation of adult neurogenesis by psychotropic drugs and stressR S Duman
Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut Mental Health Center, Hew Haven 06508, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 299:401-7. 2001..In addition, exposure to psychotropic drugs or stress regulates the rate of neurogenesis in adult brain, suggesting a possible role for neurogenesis in ..
- Sensitivity of the five-choice serial reaction time task to the effects of various psychotropic drugs in Sprague-Dawley ratsTracie A Paine
Behavioral Genetics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:687-93. 2007..The five-choice serial reaction time task (5CSRTT) is one such model. Here, we characterized the effects of four standard psychotropic agents on performance in the 5CSRTT...
- A review on the impact of P-glycoprotein on the penetration of drugs into the brain. Focus on psychotropic drugsKristian Linnet
The Department of Forensic Chemistry, Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Frederik V s vej 11, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:157-69. 2008..Moreover, the evidence for significant drug-drug interactions involving psychotropic drugs in rodents is considered...
- Use of psychotropic drugs in elderly nursing home residents with and without dementia in Helsinki, FinlandHelka Hosia-Randell
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Drugs Aging 22:793-800. 2005..Our objective was to describe the use of psychotropic drugs in all long-term nursing home residents > or =65 years of age with and without dementia in Helsinki, Finland...
- Functional dyspepsia: are psychosocial factors of relevance?Sandra Barry
Department of Psychiatry, Alimentary Pharmacobiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
World J Gastroenterol 12:2701-7. 2006..The rationale for use of psychotropic medications in FD is apparent but the evidence base to support the use of antidepressant pharmacotherapy is to date limited...
- Brain imaging research: does the science serve clinical practice?Dean F Wong
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Division of Nuclear Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0807, USA
Int Rev Psychiatry 19:541-58. 2007..For example, an optimal dose of D2 antagonist antipsychotics produces occupancy of 65% to 80% of D2 receptors, while a greater dose carries a risk of extrapyramidal side effects...
- Perceived anxiety, depression, and sleeping problems in relation to psychotropic drug use among elderly in assisted-living facilitiesIng-Britt Holmquist
Department of Nursing, Lund University, Sweden
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 61:215-24. 2005..The most commonly used psychotropic drugs as it related to the residents' problems were: benzodiazepines (oxazepam) against anxiety, benzodiazepine-..
- Designer drugs in the general hospitalPhilip A Bialer
Division of Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 25:231-43. 2002..Finally, awareness of a severe withdrawal syndrome from GHB and its precursors is particularly important to psychiatrists of the medically ill, who may be called on to help in the management of these patients...
- Weight gain associated with psychotropic drugsP S Masand
State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Department of Psychiatry, 750 E Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 1:377-89. 2000Weight gain is a common adverse effect of psychotropic drugs. Clinically significant weight gain puts the patient at risk for coronary heart disease, hypertension, Type II diabetes, dyslipidaemia and cancer, and can lead to non-compliance,..
- Quality of life for people with dementia living in residential and nursing home care: the impact of performance on activities of daily living, behavioral and psychological symptoms, language skills, and psychotropic drugsC Ballard
Institute for the Health of the Elderly, Wolfson Research Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 13:93-106. 2001..in six facilities received a standardized assessment (Neuropsychiatric Inventory [NPI], Barthel Scale, psychotropic drugs)...
- Pharmacological models in healthy volunteers: their use in the clinical development of psychotropic drugsChristian Gilles
Centre Hospitalier De L ardenne, Sainte Ode, Belgium
J Psychopharmacol 21:272-82. 2007..Their use as industrial tools for drug evaluation requires specific, dedicated development...
- Psychotropic drugs in Bulgaria-frequency and risk of adverse drug reactionsZ Dimitrova
Department of Social Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University-Sofia BG-1000, Sofia, 2 Dunav St, Bulgaria
Boll Chim Farm 141:75-9. 2002..to determine the frequency and risk of appearance of adverse drug reactions/ADRs/during the treatment with psychotropic drugs. The first part of the study is an analysis of the use of the psychotropic drugs for one-year period of time ..
- Behavioral symptoms and the administration of psychotropic drugs to aged patients with dementia in nursing homes and in acute geriatric wardsK H Pitkala
Department of Medicine, Geriatric Clinic, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
Int Psychogeriatr 16:61-74. 2004..To describe the prevalence of various psychiatric and behavioral symptoms among patients with dementia in nursing homes and acute geriatric wards and to investigate the administration of psychotropic medications to these patients...
- Prescribing psychoactive medications in nursing homes: current practice in SingaporeK Mamun
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Changi General Hospital CGH, 2 Simei Street 3, Singapore 529889
Singapore Med J 44:625-9. 2003..To assess the prescribing practice, use and potential adverse effects of psychoactive medications in Singapore nursing homes...
- [Ethical implications of placebo-controlled clinical trials for psychotropic drugs]H Helmchen
Nervenarzt 76:1319-29. 2005..It is concluded that pure placebo-controlled clinical trials of new psychotropic drugs may be acceptable in minor psychic disorders, but in general -- at least in a pure form -- not in major ..
- Biomarkers in psychotropic drug development: integration of data across multiple domainsPeter R Bieck
Eli Lilly and Company, Neuroscience Therapeutic Area, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 45:227-46. 2005..Proteomic research using CSF will hopefully have a major impact on the development of treatments for psychiatric disorders...
- Rhabdomyolysis induced by psychotropic drugsHayato Kaida
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume City, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 30:569-70. 2005..He had taken many psychotropic drugs as treatment for schizophrenia and was very dehydrated...
- Prevalence of psychotropic drug use in nursing homes for the aged in Quebec and in the French-speaking area of SwitzerlandMicheline Gobert
, School of Public Health, , Brussels, Belgium
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:712-21. 2005BACKGROUND: The use of psychotropic drugs is high in institutionalised elderly, which raises the question of its appropriateness...
- Primary care services for depression in Harare, ZimbabweMelanie Abas
Sections of Old Age, Institute of Psychiatry, London
Harv Rev Psychiatry 11:157-65. 2003
- Mechanisms of cellular distribution of psychotropic drugs. Significance for drug action and interactionsWładysława A Daniel
Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Pharmacology, 12 Smetna Street, 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27:65-73. 2003..Lysosomal trapping is an important mechanism of distribution of basic psychotropic drugs; however, the tissue distribution of the aliphatic-type phenothiazine neuroleptic promazine, tricyclic ..
- Psychotropic drugs, cardiac arrhythmia, and sudden deathHarry J Witchel
Department of Physiology and Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:58-77. 2003..Some psychotropic drugs, particularly tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and antipsychotic agents, are correlated with iatrogenic ..
- Assay of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in oral fluid-evaluation of the OraSure oral specimen collection deviceGerold F Kauert
Institute of Forensic Toxicology, University of Frankfurt, Kennedyallee 104, D-60596 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
J Anal Toxicol 30:274-7. 2006..1%. From these results it can be concluded that the OraSure OSCD is useful to collect oral fluid for reliable quantitative THC assay applying a modified elution procedure and gravimetric determination of the amount of oral fluid...
- Organisational downsizing and increased use of psychotropic drugs among employees who remain in employmentMika Kivimaki
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:154-8. 2007..The authors examined whether working in downsizing organisations predicts use of psychotropic drugs among employees who remain in employment.
- Pharmacokinetic properties of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in oral fluid of occasional and chronic usersStefan W Toennes
Institute of Forensic Toxicology, University of Frankfurt, Kennedyallee 104, D 60596 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Anal Toxicol 34:216-21. 2010..5) with no difference between chronic and occasional users. The large inter- and intraindividual variability observed precludes a reliable estimation of THC serum concentrations from oral fluid data using this collection device...
- Let's get physicalTimothy Wand
Emergency Department, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 17:363-9. 2008..The authors argue that mental health nurses must play an active role in health promotion, primary prevention, and the early detection and management of physical health problems in all areas of clinical practice...
- Therapeutic drug monitoring in neuropsychopharmacology: does it hold its promises?Christoph Hiemke
Department of Psychiatry, University of Mainz, Untere Zahlbacher Str 8, Mainz, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 258:21-7. 2008..For psychoactive drugs, animal studies have shown that plasma concentrations of psychotropic drugs correlate well with concentrations in the target organ, the brain...
- Cytochrome P450 2D6 genotyping: potential role in improving treatment outcomes in psychiatric disordersJulia Kirchheiner
Institute of Pharmacology of Natural Products and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
CNS Drugs 23:181-91. 2009..However, routine application of pharmacogenetic dose adjustment in clinical practice requires prospective validation...
- Prevalence and correlates of psychotropic drug use in Dutch nursing-home patients with dementiaRenate M Nijk
Center for Family Medicine, Geriatric Care and Public Health, Radboud University Nijmegen, Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 21:485-93. 2009Neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia patients are common and are often treated with psychotropic drugs. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and correlates of psychotropic drug use in Dutch nursing home patients with ..
- The influence of psychotropic drugs and releasing hormones on anterior pituitary hormone secretion in healthy subjects and depressed patientsG Laakmann
Psychiatrische Klinik, , FRG
Pharmacopsychiatry 23:18-26. 1990Pharmacoendocrinological studies have shown that psychotropic drugs with different actions have different effects on anterior pituitary hormone secretion in man...
- Transient ST segment elevation in right precordial leads induced by psychotropic drugs: relationship to the Brugada syndromeF Rouleau
, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire d'Angers, France
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 12:61-5. 2001b>Psychotropic Drugs and ST Segment Elevation. Transient ST segment elevation in right precordial leads with use of psychotropic drugs is reported in two cases of overdose and one case of therapeutic administration...
- [Chronic psychotropic drugs use in the Canadian labor force: what are the contributions of occupation and work organization conditions?]A Marchand
Ecole de relations industrielles, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7 Canada
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 58:89-99. 2010This study aims to better understand the contributions of occupation and work organization conditions to the development of chronic psychotropic drugs use among workers in Canada.
- The prevalence of psychiatric symptoms and behavioural disturbances and the use of psychotropic drugs in Norwegian nursing homesGeir Selbaek
Research Centre for Old Age Psychiatric Research, Innlandet Hospital Trust, Ottestad, Norway
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:843-9. 2007Psychiatric and behavioural symptoms in dementia are associated with a range of negative outcomes, including institutional placement and the widespread use of psychotropic drugs in spite of limited evidence for their efficacy.
- [Determinants of psychotropic drug utilization in homes for the elderly and in nursing homes]G Stelzner
, SKH Altscherbitz Leipziger Str. 58 04435 Schkeuditz, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 34:306-12. 2001..The causes for increased prescription of psychotropic drugs other than mental disorders have been discussed...
- Psychotropic medication use in children and adolescents: a study from FranceChristine Sevilla-Dedieu
MGEN Foundation for Public Health and the University of Paris René Descartes, Paris, France
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 18:281-9. 2008..This study aimed to describe the extent and patterns of psychotropic medication use in children and adolescents enrolled in a large health plan (MGEN) in France, and its evolution in recent years...
- Do male and female adolescents differ in the effect of individual and family characteristics on their use of psychotropic drugs?Michele Baumann
Integrative Research Unit Individual and Social Development, Faculty LSHASE, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Eur J Pediatr 166:29-35. 2007..Preventive measures should be taken to make adolescents and their parents more aware of the risks and to improve their living conditions...
- Psychotropic drugs up-regulate the expression of cholesterol transport proteins including ApoE in cultured human CNS- and liver cellsAudun O Vik-Mo
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Dr Einar Martens Research Group for Biological Psychiatry and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, Norway
BMC Pharmacol 9:10. 2009..The aim of the present proof-of-principle study was to investigate whether such drugs also affect lipid transport and export pathways in cultured human CNS and liver cells...
- [Cognition on demand?--The wish for cognition-enhancing drugs in medicine]Matthis Synofzik
Institute fur Ethik und Geschichte in der Medizin, Schleichstrabe 8, 72074 Tubingen, Germany
Ethik Med 18:37-50. 2006..Instead, a decision-making model will be developed which builds on the traditional criteria of a physician's practice: the criteria of benevolence, non-maleficence, and autonomy...
- Khat: pharmacological and medical aspects and its social use in YemenAhmed Al-Motarreb
Department of Pharmacology, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3XF, UK
Phytother Res 16:403-13. 2002..The risk factors associated with khat chewing are described, with emphasis on the reported increased incidence of acute myocardial infarction...
- Selective regulation of presynaptic calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II by psychotropic drugsElisa Celano
Center of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy
Biol Psychiatry 53:442-9. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: These findings show that functional regulation of presynaptic CaM kinase II is selectively affected by different psychotropic drugs, and suggest local synaptic mechanisms for pharmacological regulation of the kinase.
- Pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic interactions of psychotropic drugs with antiepileptic drugsAndres M Kanner
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Int Rev Neurobiol 83:397-416. 2008..clear understanding of the pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic interactions between antiepileptic drugs and psychotropic drugs is of the essence to avert unnecessary adverse events and loss of efficacy of psychotropic drugs...
- Morbidity in 258 bipolar outpatients followed for 1 year with daily prospective ratings on the NIMH life chart methodRobert M Post
Stanley Foundation Bipolar Network and Biological Psychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 12723, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:680-90; quiz 738-9. 2003..The detailed course and pattern of illness emerging despite comprehensive treatment with mood stabilizers and adjunctive agents have previously not been well delineated...
- Psychotropic drugs associated with corrected QT interval prolongationCharlotte van Noord
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:9-15. 2009To study whether listed putative corrected QT (QTc)-prolonging psychotropic drugs indeed prolong the QTc interval under everyday circumstances and to evaluate whether this is a class effect or an individual drug effect, we conducted a ..
- Restraint use among nursing home residents: cross-sectional study and prospective cohort studyGabriele Meyer
Unit of Health Sciences and Education, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Nurs 18:981-90. 2009....
- The emerging role of pharmacogenetics: implications for clinical psychiatryChee Hong Ng
The Melbourne Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:483-9. 2004..This article aims to review the implications of pharmacogenetics for clinical psychiatry; these are discussed in the context of environmental and sociocultural factors...
- Hepatotoxicity of commonly used drugs: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antihypertensives, antidiabetic agents, anticonvulsants, lipid-lowering agents, psychotropic drugsShivakumar Chitturi
Storr Liver Unit, Westmead Millennium Institute, University of Sydney at Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW, Australia
Semin Liver Dis 22:169-83. 2002..Well-known causes of liver injury such as chlorpromazine, phenytoin, and methyldopa are not discussed...
- Analyzing the effects of psychotropic drugs on metabolite profiles in rat brain using 1H NMR spectroscopyGerard A McLoughlin
Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Division of SORA, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Proteome Res 8:1943-52. 2009..In this study, we investigated the effects of a range of psychotropic drugs on rat brain metabolites...
- A community based study of patterns of psychoactive substance use among street children in a local government area of NigeriaJide Morakinyo
Department of Psychiatry, University College Hospital, Oyo State, Ibadan, Nigeria
Drug Alcohol Depend 71:109-16. 2003..At present, there is insufficient information regarding the pattern of psychoactive substance use among this group of children in Nigeria...
- The search for medications to treat stimulant dependenceKyle M Kampman
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Treatment Research Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Addict Sci Clin Pract 4:28-35. 2008..Treatment approaches that combine efficacious medications and empirically proven behavioral interventions, such as voucher-based reinforcement therapy, will almost certainly produce the best results...
- Effects of psychotropic drugs on seizure thresholdFrancesco Pisani
Department of Neurosciences and of Psychiatric and Anaesthesiological Sciences, First Neurological Clinic, The University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Drug Saf 25:91-110. 2002b>Psychotropic drugs, especially antidepressants and antipsychotics, may give rise to some concern in clinical practice because of their known ability to reduce seizure threshold and to provoke epileptic seizures...
- Culture and psychopharmacologyK M Lin
Research Center on the Psychobiology of Ethnicity, Department of Psychiatry, Harbor University of California at Los Angeles Medical Center, Torrance, California, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 24:523-38. 2001....
- Cardiac effects of psychotropic drugsS A Chong
Woodbridge Hospital and Institute of Mental Health, 10 Buangkok View, Singapore 539747
Ann Acad Med Singapore 30:625-31. 2001..Sudden death has been associated with certain psychotropic drugs and the underlying cause(s) have been suggested to be some adverse cardiac complications...
- Why people do not take their psychotropic drugs as prescribed: results of the 2000 National Psychiatric Morbidity SurveyC Cooper
UCL, Department of Mental Health Sciences, London, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 116:47-53. 2007..We examined the prevalence and determinants of the reasons given for non-adherence to psychiatric medication in a representative community survey...
- Psychotropic medication in children: a study from the NetherlandsE Schirm
Groningen Institute for Drug Exploration (GUIDE, University of Groningen, University Centre for Pharmacy, Section of Social Pharmacy and Pharmacoepidemiology, Groningen, The Netherlands
Pediatrics 108:E25. 2001..However, the increase in Dutch stimulant use agrees with the previously reported 2.5-fold increase in the United States and shows that the increased use of stimulants is not limited to the United States...
- Psychotropic drugs use and risk of heat-related hospitalisationKarin Martin-Latry
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, France
Eur Psychiatry 22:335-8. 2007To assess if use of psychotropic drugs is associated with an increased risk of admission for heat-related pathologies during a heat wave period.
- The consumption of khat and other drugs in Somali combatants: a cross-sectional studyMichael Odenwald
PLoS Med 4:e341. 2007..We recommend that future disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration (DDR) programs need to be prepared to deal with significant drug-related problems in Somalia...
- Intracellular distribution of psychotropic drugs in the grey and white matter of the brain: the role of lysosomal trappingW A Daniel
Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Pharmacology, Smetna 12, 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Br J Pharmacol 134:807-14. 2001..and density of lysosomes may vary in its different regions), in the present study we examined the uptake of psychotropic drugs by vertically cut slices of whole brain, grey (cerebral cortex) and white (corpus callosum, internal capsule)..
- Determinants for the use of psychotropics among nursing home residentsL Sørensen
Department of Psychiatric Demography, Psychiatric Hospital in Aarhus, Aarhus University Hospital, Skovagervej 2, DK 8240 Risskov, Denmark
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:147-54. 2001..To characterise the prescription pattern of psychotropics in Danish nursing homes and to identify diagnostic, behavioural, cognitive and performance characteristics associated with prevalent psychotropic drug use...
- Prevalence and characteristics of clients with co-occurring disorders in outpatient substance abuse treatmentKatherine E Watkins
RAND, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 30:749-64. 2004..Identifying people with probable mental health disorders as they enter treatment has the potential to increase access to care among those with limited prior access...
- [Effects of a shared decision making model in psychiatric and neurologic practice]J Hamann
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Technischen Universitat Munchen, Germany
Nervenarzt 77:1071-6, 1078. 2006..This report provides a survey of this shared decision making model and a discussion of its implications in the fields of mental health and neurology...
- Psychiatric and neuropsychological issues in sport medicineDonna K Broshek
Division of Neuropsychology, Department of Psychiatric Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Box 800203, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin Sports Med 24:663-79, x. 2005..Greater awareness of these problems, empirical research, and education about mental health issues in the sports medicine community is clearly needed...
- [Personality profile and psychic deviations in offenders examined for psychiatric-forensic appraisal]R Ille
Universitätsklinik für Psychiatrie, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Austria
Nervenarzt 76:52-60. 2005..The importance of classification for risk estimation of delinquent behaviour and its significance for providing forensic opinions is discussed...
- [Risk factors for suicide in substance-related disorders]Barbara Schneider
Zentrum der Psychiatrie, Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie
Psychiatr Prax 33:81-7. 2006..To assess the contribution of sociodemographic and psychopathologic predictors for suicide in alcohol-related disorders and in substance-related disorders in general and to examine the constellations of risk factors for suicide...
- Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with substance use disordersOscar G Bukstein
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 44:609-21. 2005..This parameter considers risk factors for substance use and related problems, normative use of substances by adolescents, the comorbidity of substance use disorders with other psychiatric disorders, and treatment settings and modalities...
- Consumer satisfaction with inpatient psychiatric treatment among persons with severe mental illnessAnn Hackman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, 630 W Fayette Street, 4th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Community Ment Health J 43:551-64. 2007..This may reflect value consumers place on staff time, attention and communication. Teaching may enhance self-efficacy and hope thereby facilitating recovery...
- Treatment of patients comorbid for addiction and other psychiatric disordersKathleen T Brady
Clinical Neuroscience Division, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 67 President Street, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 9:374-80. 2007..Current treatment options and implications for future research are highlighted...
- Axis I comorbidity in patients with borderline personality disorder: 6-year follow-up and prediction of time to remissionMary C Zanarini
McLean Hospital, 115 Mill St, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:2108-14. 2004..The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of axis I disorders among patients with borderline personality disorder over 6 years of prospective follow-up...
- Epidemiology of psychotropic medication use: comparison of sales, prescriptions and survey data in IcelandKristinn Tomasson
Administration for Occupational Health and Safety, Reykjavik, Iceland
Nord J Psychiatry 61:471-8. 2007..The difference between self-reported use and prescriptions filled may reflect compliance problems in psychiatric treatment...
- Psychotropic medication in adults with mental retardation: prevalence, and prescription practicesBørge Holden
Habiliteringstjenesten for Voksne, Hedmark Naeringspark Bygg 15, 2312 Ottestad, Norway
Res Dev Disabil 25:509-21. 2004..Psychiatrists complied more with current guidelines. Implications of the findings are discussed...
- Drug treatment modalities in psychiatric inpatient practice: a 20-year comparisonCorrado Barbui
Department of Medicine and Public Health, Section of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, University of Verona, Ospedale Policlinico, 37134 Verona, Italy
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 255:136-42. 2005....
- [Problematic consumption of addictive drugs in psychiatric rehabilitation]Winfried Sennekamp
Berufsakademie Villingen Schwenningen, Studienbereich Sozialwesen, Reha Zentrum Christiani e V, Albbruck
Psychiatr Prax 31:400-3. 2004..Is an inferior outcome of psychiatric rehabilitation to be expected with patients who consume alcohol or addictive drugs in a problematic manner during rehabilitation treatment?..
- Obesity, psychiatric status, and psychiatric medicationsRobert I Berkowitz
Weight and Eating Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3535 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 28:39-54, vii-viii. 2005
- Women's psychological health according to their maternal status: a study in FranceMarie Josèphe Saurel-Cubizolles
INSERM Unit 149 IFR 69, Epidemiological Research Unit on Women s and Perinatal Health, Villejuif, France
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 28:243-9. 2007..Thus, research and clinical efforts should focus on risk factors for psychological distress in women and on preventive measures beyond the post-partum period...
- Preventing the incidence of new cases of mental disorders: a meta-analytic reviewPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:119-25. 2005..33), indicating a possible adverse effect. Prevention of new cases of mental disorders seems to be possible and may be an important way of reducing the enormous burden of these disorders...
- Psychiatric disorder and unmet service needs among welfare clients in a representative payee programJovier D Evans
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Psychology Department, LD 124, 402 North Blackford Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 3275, USA
Community Ment Health J 40:539-48. 2004..Findings suggest problems or barriers to the provision of services that need to be investigated among this vulnerable community population...
- Estimating Medicare Part D's impact on medication access among dually eligible beneficiaries with mental disordersJulie Marie Donohue
Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, 130 De Soto St, A613, Crabtree Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Psychiatr Serv 58:1285-91. 2007..The objective of this study was to estimate rates of medication switching among dually eligible beneficiaries using antidepressants, antipsychotics, and mood stabilizers attributable to their enrollment in Medicare drug plans...
- Antipsychotic prescriptions in a university hospital outpatient population in Turkey: a retrospective database analysis, 2005-2006Levent Atik
Department of Psychiatry, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Faculty of Medicine, Zonguldak, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:968-74. 2008..The aim of this study is to document the sociodemographic and the clinical profile of patients who are on antipsychotic (AP) medication prescribed in outpatient mental health clinic of a university hospital...
- Psychotropic drug use in older people with mental illness with particular reference to antipsychotics: a systematic study of tolerability and use in different diagnostic groupsStephen Curran
Ageing and Mental Health Research Unit, School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield HD1 3DH, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:842-7. 2005The objective of the study was to provide observational clinical data on psychotropic drugs used in older people with mental illness.
- Characterizing adolescent prescription misusers: a population-based studyTy S Schepis
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Substance Abuse Center, Room S 201, Connecticut Mental Health Center, 34 Park Street, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:745-54. 2008..The characteristics associated with symptoms of abuse and/or dependence related to prescription medication misuse among adolescents were also analyzed...
- The prescription of psychotropic medications for patients discharged from a psychiatric emergency serviceCarrie L Ernst
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:720-6. 2006....
- [Cognitive milieu therapy and restraint within dual diagnosis populations]Jørn Lykke
Sct Hans Hospital, Center for Kognitiv Terapi, Afdeling M, Roskilde
Ugeskr Laeger 170:339-43. 2008..Cognitive behavioural therapy has been shown to contribute to positive treatment outcomes for a range of mental health problems, including schizophrenia and substance abuse...
- Pharmacotherapy for the treatment of aggressive behavior in general adult psychiatry: A systematic reviewLaurette E Goedhard
Altrecht Institute for Mental Health Care, Den Dolder, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1013-24. 2006..The keywords aggression, violence, anger, and hostility combined with drug therapy, psychotropic drugs, adrenergic beta-antagonists, anticonvulsants, anti-depressants, antipsychotic agents, benzodiazepines, and ..
- Psychosocial interventions for the long-term management of patients with severe mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorderMary F Brunette
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03301, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:10-7. 2006..The stages of change, the stages of treatment, and the psychosocial strategies used at each stage of treatment are outlined...
- Trends in the use of psychotropic drugs in Taiwan: a population-based national health insurance study, 1997-2004I Chia Chien
Jianan Mental Hospital, No 80, Lane 870, Jhongshan Road, Rende Township, Tainan County 71742, Taiwan
Psychiatr Serv 58:554-7. 2007..This study examined changes in the use of psychotropic agents in Taiwan between 1997 and 2004...
- Psychopathology and clinical features in an Italian sample of patients with myofascial and temporomandibular joint pain: preliminary dataF Nifosi
University of Padova, Italy
Int J Psychiatry Med 37:283-300. 2007..Sixty-three TMD patients were investigated using clinical and anamnestical psychiatric informations and psychopathological measures...
- Treatment of mental health problems in general practice: a survey of psychotropics prescribed and other treatments providedE Van Rijswijk
Department of General Practice, University Medical Center St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 45:23-9. 2007..This study describes the treatment of mental health problems in general practice as diagnosed by general practitioners (GP)...
- Psychotropic substance abuse among adolescents: a structural equation model on risk and protective factorsGerhard Rumpold
Department of Psychological Medicine and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Innsbruck, Austria
Subst Use Misuse 41:1155-69. 2006..Prevention of adolescent substance use and misuse should aim at these different targets. Information about coping with peer pressure may be a particularly promising route of intervention...
- [Behavior problems in adults with mental retardation. Psychopharmaceuticals are used too often--pedagogical efforts would be better]Inger Näslund
Rehabiliteringsmedicinska Universitetskliniken Stockholm, Danderyds sjukhus AB
Lakartidningen 104:1132-5. 2007
- Managing the neuropsychiatric side effects of interferon-based therapy for hepatitis CCatherine C Crone
Inova Transplant Center, Inova Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 71:S27-32. 2004..These can be additional sources of patient distress during interferon therapy and require appropriate intervention through patient education, psychotropic medications, support, and behavioral techniques...
- Psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents who have epilepsyJana E Jones
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, USA
Pediatr Rev 29:e9-14. 2008
- [Study of use of psychiatric drugs in primary care]C Vedia Urgell
Servei d Atenció Primària Mataró Maresme, ICS, Mataro, Barcelona, Spain
Aten Primaria 36:239-45. 2005..To get to know the profile of use of antidepressants (AD) and tranquilizers-hypnotics (T-H) in primary care in Catalonia...
- A survey of off-label prescribing for inpatients with mild intellectual disability and mental illnessC Haw
St Andrew s Hospital, Northampton, UK
J Intellect Disabil Res 49:858-64. 2005....
- Inpatient child and adolescent psychiatric referrals in Saudi Arabia: clinical profiles and treatmentF A Al-Haidar
Division of Psychiatry, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
East Mediterr Health J 9:996-1002. 2003..The most common medical diagnoses were epilepsy, drug overdose, ambiguous genitalia, orthopaedic injuries and diabetes mellitus.Young people with these medical problems are in real need of psychological assessment and intervention...
- Innovations: geriatric psychiatry: diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer's diseaseHelen Lavretsky
University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:617-9. 2006..pharmacological treatment with antipsychotics, antidepressants, cholinesterase inhibitors, and other psychotropic drugs. They conclude that although these medications have some beneficial effects, no intervention is currently ..
- [Process of change in patients with concurrent substance use - mental health problems]Didier Acier
Psychologue chercheur, Centre Dollard Cormier, Universite de Montreal
Sante Ment Que 32:59-82. 2007....
- Chapter 5.5: major public health problems - mental ill-healthClaes Göran Stefansson
National Board of Health and Welfare, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Public Health Suppl 67:87-103. 2006
- Psychotropics in pregnancy: weighing the risksSandeep Grover
Department of Psychiatry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Indian J Med Res 123:497-512. 2006..In this review we discussed the current evidence of the teratogenic risks with psychotropic drugs commonly used to treat psychiatric disorders and also focused on decision making in such patients.
- NEUROCHEMICAL ACTIONS OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGSSolomon H Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2010..grant has supported our research on fundamental neurochemical mechanisms which may underlie the actions of psychotropic drugs. In recent years we have characterized novel neurotransmitters such as nitric oxide and D-serine, areas ..
- Endocannabinoid DiscriminationJenny L Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- EFFECT OF MARIJUANA ON MACROPHAGE ANTIGEN PRESENTATIONGuy Cabral; Fiscal Year: 1993..The effect of THC on the secretion of the co-stimulatory signal interleukin-1, requisite for replication of T-helper cells in addition to antigen receptor occupancy, will be established using C3H/HeJ mouse thymocyte proliferation...
- Immune Tolerance; Sigma Receptor as a Therapeutic TargetVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- LICIT AND ILLICIT ABUSED DRUGS/BEHAVIORAL INTERACTIONROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition to providing new information about determinants of two licit forms of drug taking behavior which produce significant health risk, these studies will provide an improved understanding of the nature of the addictive process...
- AFFINITY LABELS FOR INOSITOL POLYPHOSPHATE RECEPTORSGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 1999..The affinity reagents and the binding domain data obtained from these reagents will be important in defining the mechanisms of these ubiquitous and varied molecular switches. ..
- Maternal Viral Infection and Fetal Brain DevelopmentPaul Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also use cytokine injections of non-infected mothers to help identify cytokines that may mediate the effects of maternal viral infection. ..
- Trafficking and Regulation of Monoamine TransportersHALEY MELIKIAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Trafficking and Regulation of Monoamine TransportersHaley E Melikian; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PET IMAGING OF SEROTONIN TRANSPORTERS IN THE BRAINHank F Kung; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed tracers for imaging SERT can be prepared by regional radiopharmacies and distributed within any major metropolitan area benefiting a large number of patients undergoing antidepressant treatment. ..
- PROBLEM DRINKING IN WOMEN--A 20-YEAR NATIONAL STUDYSharon Wilsnack; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DISCRIMINATIVE EFFECTS OF BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWALCHARLES FRANCE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Collectively, these studies will provide fundamentally new information on the in vivo pharmacology of GABAA modulators and will help to identify the pharmacologic and behavioral determinants of physical dependence on sedative hypnotics. ..
- Periadolescent Methylphenidate exposure: Brain functionDiana Dow Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through these studies, a comprehensive pre-clinical evaluation of the effects of chronic methylphenidate on learning, behavior, brain function and molecular patterns will be completed. ..
- NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY OF ALTERED CONSCIOUSNESSReese Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies are multidisciplinary. They involve only human volunteers. The research will further understanding psychoactive drug use, health consequences and management. ..
- DRUGS, ALCOHOL AND DRIVING: PREVALENCE AND CRASH RISKM Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Chronic PCP Primate PFC Dopamine Deficit and SchizophreniaRobert Roth; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Impact of the Medicare Part D Benzodiazepine Exclusion on Managed Care PatientsSusan Ettner; Fiscal Year: 2007..especially if they are withdrawn abruptly from the medication or switched to less appropriate or efficacious psychotropic drugs. We examine the implications of the loss of BZD coverage resulting from the Medicare Part D exclusion using ..
- Pharmacogenetics in indolealkylamine metabolism and drug interactionsAiming Yu; Fiscal Year: 2007....