Genomes and Genes
Summary: A loosely defined grouping of drugs that have effects on psychological function. Here the psychotropic agents include the antidepressive agents, hallucinogens, and tranquilizing agents (including the antipsychotics and anti-anxiety agents).
Publications361 found, 100 shown here
- Neurotrophin levels in postmortem brains of suicide victims and the effects of antemortem diagnosis and psychotropic drugsFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals, Department of Psychiatry, 2 ch Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 136:29-37. 2005..absence of change in BDNF and NT-3 levels of drug-treated suicide victims suggests that both neurotrophins are mediators of psychotropic drugs. A better understanding of the neurobiology of suicide could help detect populations at risk.
- Use of psychotropic drugs in elderly nursing home residents with and without dementia in Helsinki, FinlandHelka Hosia-Randell
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Drugs Aging 22:793-800. 2005..Our objective was to describe the use of psychotropic drugs in all long-term nursing home residents > or =65 years of age with and without dementia in Helsinki, Finland.
- Khat: pharmacological and medical aspects and its social use in YemenAhmed Al-Motarreb
Department of Pharmacology, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3XF, UK
Phytother Res 16:403-13. 2002..The risk factors associated with khat chewing are described, with emphasis on the reported increased incidence of acute myocardial infarction...
- Prescribing pattern of psychotropic drugs in nursing home residents with dementiaR B Wetzels
Department of Primary and Community Care, Center for Family Medicine, Geriatric Care and Public Health, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 23:1249-59. 2011..In addition, PDU was analyzed across multiple indications...
- Molecular genetics of CYP2D6: clinical relevance with focus on psychotropic drugsLeif Bertilsson
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences and Technology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Clin Pharmacol 53:111-22. 2002..The present-day knowledge on the influence of the genetic variability in CYP2D6 on the clinical pharmacokinetics and therapeutic effects/adverse effects of psychotropic drugs is reviewed.
- The prevalence of psychiatric symptoms and behavioural disturbances and the use of psychotropic drugs in Norwegian nursing homesGeir Selbaek
Research Centre for Old Age Psychiatric Research, Innlandet Hospital Trust, Ottestad, Norway
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:843-9. 2007Psychiatric and behavioural symptoms in dementia are associated with a range of negative outcomes, including institutional placement and the widespread use of psychotropic drugs in spite of limited evidence for their efficacy.
- Inappropriate prescribing in older residents of Australian care homesA C Stafford
School of Pharmacy, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
J Clin Pharm Ther 36:33-44. 2011..We aimed to determine the prevalence of inappropriate prescribing in residents of Tasmanian (Australia) residential care homes using Beers and McLeod criteria...
- Psychotropic drug prescription in nursing home patients with dementia: influence of environmental correlates and staff distress on physicians' prescription behaviorSytse U Zuidema
Department of Primary and Community Care, Centre for Family Medicine, Geriatric Care and Public Health, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 23:1632-9. 2011..The aim of the study was to examine whether staff distress and aspects of the nursing home environment were associated with psychotropic drug use (PDU) in patients with dementia...
- [Psychotropic drugs induced weight gain: a review of the literature concerning epidemiological data, mechanisms and management]O Ruetsch
Centre Hospitalier Sainte Anne, Secteur 13, 1, rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris
Encephale 31:507-16. 2005..Understanding of the metabolic consequences of psychotropic drugs (weight gain, diabetes, dyslipidemia) is essential: the insulin-like effect of lithium is known; treatment ..
- The influence of drug use on fall incidents among nursing home residents: a systematic reviewCarolyn S Sterke
De StromenOpmaatGroep, Nursing Home Smeetsland, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 20:890-910. 2008..Falls are a major health problem among the elderly, particularly in nursing homes. Abnormalities of balance and gait, psychoactive drug use, and dementia have been shown to contribute to fall risk...
- The course of psychiatric and behavioral symptoms and the use of psychotropic medication in patients with dementia in Norwegian nursing homes--a 12-month follow-up studyGeir Selbaek
Research Centre for Old Age Psychiatric Research, Innlandet Hospital Trust, Ottestad, Norway
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:528-36. 2008..This study investigates the natural course of neuropsychiatric symptoms and the concomitant use of psychotropic medication among a large and representative sample of nursing-home patients with dementia...
- Neurocognitive functioning in patients with bipolar I disorder recently recovered from a first manic episodeIvan J Torres
Research Department, Riverview Hospital, British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Services, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1234-42. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine whether neuropsychological impairments are present in clinically stable patients with bipolar disorder shortly after resolution of their first manic episode...
- Abrupt discontinuation of psychotropic drugs during pregnancy: fear of teratogenic risk and impact of counsellingA Einarson
Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto ON 5G 1X8
J Psychiatry Neurosci 26:44-8. 2001..To assess the consequences to mother and baby of abruptly discontinuing antidepressant or benzodiazepine medication during pregnancy and to assess the impact of our counselling...
- Psychotropic medication use among nursing home residents in Austria: a cross-sectional studyEva Mann
General practice and Institute for Health Services Research, Rankweil, Austria
BMC Geriatr 9:18. 2009..In Austria, prevalence data are lacking. We aimed to determine the prevalence of psychotropic medication prescription in Austrian nursing homes and to explore characteristics associated with their prescription...
- Medication withdrawal trials in people aged 65 years and older: a systematic reviewShoba Iyer
Centre for Education and Research on Ageing, Concord RG Hospital and University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Drugs Aging 25:1021-31. 2008..In conclusion, there is some clinical trial evidence for the short-term effectiveness and/or lack of significant harm when medication withdrawal is undertaken for antihypertensive, benzodiazepine and psychotropic agents in older people...
- Effect of interventions to reduce potentially inappropriate use of drugs in nursing homes: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsLouise Forsetlund
Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services, St Olavsplass, Oslo, Norway
BMC Geriatr 11:16. 2011..The purpose of the review was to identify and summarise the effect of interventions aimed at reducing potentially inappropriate use or prescribing of drugs in nursing homes...
- The plasma levels of interleukin-12 in schizophrenia, major depression, and bipolar mania: effects of psychotropic drugsY K Kim
Department of Psychiatry, Korea University Ansan Hospital, College of Medicine, Korea
Mol Psychiatry 7:1107-14. 2002....
- Trends in psychotropic medication use among U.S. adultsRyne Paulose-Ram
Division of Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, Maryland 20782, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16:560-70. 2007..To examine trends and prevalence of prescription psychotropic medication use among noninstitutionalized US adults...
- Mental disorders and the use of alternative medicine: results from a national surveyJ Unutzer
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Santa Monica, CA 90024, USA
Am J Psychiatry 157:1851-7. 2000..The study examined the relationship between mental disorders and the use of complementary and alternative medicine...
- Heterozygous neuregulin 1 mice are more sensitive to the behavioural effects of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinolA A Boucher
Neuroscience Institute of Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW, 2010, Australia
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 192:325-36. 2007..Cannabis use may precipitate schizophrenia especially if the individual has a genetic vulnerability to this mental disorder. Human and animal research indicates that neuregulin 1 (Nrg1) is a susceptibility gene for schizophrenia...
- Genetic dissection of behavioural and autonomic effects of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in miceKrisztina Monory
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
PLoS Biol 5:e269. 2007....
- Psychotropic medications and the risk of fracture: a meta-analysisBahi Takkouche
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Drug Saf 30:171-84. 2007..Many studies have examined the relationship between the use of psychotropic medications and the risk of fractures, but these studies have reported conflicting results...
- Prevalence and correlates of psychotropic drug use in Dutch nursing-home patients with dementiaRenate M Nijk
Center for Family Medicine, Geriatric Care and Public Health, Radboud University Nijmegen, Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 21:485-93. 2009Neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia patients are common and are often treated with psychotropic drugs. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and correlates of psychotropic drug use in Dutch nursing home patients with ..
- Neurotransmitters, psychotropic drugs and microglia: clinical implications for psychiatryT A Kato
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Curr Med Chem 20:331-44. 2013..Thus, the effects of psychotropic drugs such as antipsychotics and antidepressants have been understood to modulate synaptic regulation via ..
- [Polypharmacy and psychotropic drugs as risk factors for falls in long-term care setting for elderly patients in Lombardy]Federico Baranzini
Sezione di Psichiatria, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, Varese
Recenti Prog Med 100:9-16. 2009Aim of the study was to investigate polypharmacy and psychotropic drugs as risk factors for falls in a Long-term Care Setting for elderly patients...
- For what diagnoses are psychotropic medications being prescribed?: a nationally representative survey of physiciansTami L Mark
Thomson Reuters, Washington, DC 20008, USA
CNS Drugs 24:319-26. 2010..To our knowledge, no prior study has examined the extent to which psychoactive medications are prescribed for non-psychiatric somatic illnesses or the main types of psychiatric disorders for which psychoactive medications are being used...
- Duration of lithium treatment is a risk factor for reduced glomerular function: a cross-sectional studyAlberto Bocchetta
Section of Neuroscience and Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Cagliari, Via Ospedale 54, Cagliari, 09124 Italy
BMC Med 11:33. 2013..In this cross-sectional study, we examined glomerular function in a cohort of patients treated with lithium for up to 33 years and a control group of lithium-naïve patients treated with other mood-stabilizers...
- Neuroprotective effects of psychotropic drugs in Huntington's diseaseEdward C Lauterbach
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Mercer University School of Medicine, 655 First Street, Macon, GA 31201, USA
Int J Mol Sci 14:22558-603. 2013..Clinical data consist of an uncontrolled lithium case series (n = 3) suggesting non-progression and a primarily negative double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of lamotrigine. ..
- Analyses of second-generation 'legal highs' in the UK: initial findingsSimon D Brandt
School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Drug Test Anal 2:377-82. 2010..These findings also suggest that both consumers and online sellers (unlike manufacturers and wholesalers) are, most likely unknowingly, confronted with the risk of criminalization and potential harm...
- Nursing home structure and association with agitation and use of psychotropic drugs in nursing home residents in three countries: Norway, Austria and EnglandI Testad
Psychiatric Clinic, Stavanger University Hospital, Stavanger, Norway
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 25:725-31. 2010..International comparative studies offer special advantages in elucidating environmental risk factors by providing a wider diversity of environmental exposures such as nursing home structures, health care systems and genetic diversity...
- Psychotropic prescription use by community-dwelling elderly in the United StatesRajender R Aparasu
College of Pharmacy, South Dakota State University, Brookings 57007, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:671-7. 2003..To examine psychotropic prescription use in community-dwelling elderly in the United States and its association with predisposing, enabling, and need factors...
- Psychotropic drug effects on gene transcriptomics relevant to Alzheimer diseaseEdward C Lauterbach
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, GA 31201, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 26:1-7. 2012..This report provides an initial summary and framework to understand the potential impact of psychotropic drugs on AD-relevant genes.
- Polypharmacy in psychiatric practice in the Canary IslandsCarlos De las Cuevas
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
BMC Psychiatry 4:18. 2004..The objective of this study was to evaluate the prevalence and conditioners of polypharmacy in psychiatric patients...
- Psychotropic drug effects on gene transcriptomics relevant to Parkinson's diseaseEdward C Lauterbach
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, GA 31201, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 38:107-15. 2012b>Psychotropic drugs are widely prescribed in Parkinson's disease (PD) without regard to their pathobiological effects, and these drugs affect the transcription of a large number of genes...
- Changes to psychotropic medications in the six months after admission to nursing homes in Melbourne, AustraliaDaniel W O'Connor
Aged Mental Health Research Unit, School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 22:1149-53. 2010..Previous studies suggest that antipsychotic medications are often unnecessary and can be withdrawn without ill effects. Depression, in contrast, is believed to be under-recognized and under-treated...
- Biomarkers in development of psychotropic drugsK Wiedemann
University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 13:225-34. 2011..With a view to developing more individually tailored therapeutic strategies, the characterization of patients and the courses of different types of treatment will become even more important in the future...
- Prescription psychotropic medication use among the U.S. adult population: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994Ryne Paulose-Ram
Division of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3311 Toledo Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 57:309-17. 2004..We estimated prescription psychotropic medication use among US adults...
- QTc prolongation by psychotropic drugs and the risk of Torsade de PointesKatharina Wenzel-Seifert
Klinische Pharmakologie, Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie, Psychosomatik und Psychotherapie der Universität Regensburg, Universitätstr 84, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Dtsch Arztebl Int 108:687-93. 2011Many psychotropic drugs can delay cardiac repolarization and thereby prolong the rate-corrected QT interval (QTc)...
- The risk of falls and fractures associated with persistent use of psychotropic medications in elderly peopleAgnes I Vitry
Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre, Sansom Institute, University of South Australia, GPO Box 2471, Adelaide SA 5001, Australia
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 50:e1-4. 2010..After adjusting for BMI, the IRR in females decreased to 1.22 (95% CI 1.02-1.45; p<0.015) for falls and the RR decreased to 1.92 (p<0.015, CI 1.13-3.24) for fractures...
- Neurodevelopmental effects of prenatal exposure to psychotropic medicationsSalvatore Gentile
Department of Mental Health, ASL Salerno, Mental Health Center, Cava de Tirreni, Salerno, Italy
Depress Anxiety 27:675-86. 2010..For all classes of psychotropics, new and/or further studies are warranted to answer definitively the urgent question about the impact of prenatal exposure to such medications on infant development...
- [Pharmacological neuroenhancement and brain doping : Chances and risks]A G Franke
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg Universität, Mainz, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 53:853-9. 2010..Brain doping" raises numerous ethical and social concerns that require a continued discussion. Demands of liberalization should be critically questioned...
- Putting the efficacy of psychiatric and general medicine medication into perspective: review of meta-analysesStefan Leucht
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaningerstr 22, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 200:97-106. 2012..The efficacy of psychopharmacological treatments has been called into question. Psychiatrists are unfamiliar with the effectiveness of common medical drugs...
- Poor health behaviour and reduced quality of life of people treated with psychotropic drugsMartin Kopp
Department of Sport Science, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Hum Psychopharmacol 26:161-7. 2011..We have investigated health behaviour, quality of life, and sociodemographic variables of people with psychopharmacological treatment using data from the most recent Austrian Health Survey...
- The consumption of khat and other drugs in Somali combatants: a cross-sectional studyMichael Odenwald
PLoS Med 4:e341. 2007....
- Distinct neurometabolic profiles are evident in the anterior cingulate of young people with major psychiatric disordersD F Hermens
Clinical Research Unit, Brain and Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Transl Psychiatry 2:e110. 2012....
- Antisuicide properties of psychotropic drugs: a critical reviewCarrie L Ernst
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, MA, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 12:14-41. 2004..Recommendations are provided to guide future research as well as clinical practice...
- Psychotropic drugs and falls in the elderly people: updated literature review and meta-analysisFrederic Bloch
Department of Gerontology, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris Hôpital Broca, France
J Aging Health 23:329-46. 2011To carry out meta-analyses on psychotropic drugs and to provide an update of the risk of falling in the elderly people related to psychotropic drugs.
- Akt/GSK3 signaling in the action of psychotropic drugsJean Martin Beaulieu
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Université Laval CRULRG, Quebec, Canada
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 49:327-47. 2009b>Psychotropic drugs acting on monoamine neurotransmission are major pharmacological treatments for neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, Tourette syndrome, ADHD, and Alzheimer disease...
- Administrative initiatives for reducing inappropriate prescribing of psychotropic drugs in nursing homes: how successful have they been?Carmel M Hughes
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Drugs Aging 22:339-51. 2005..Exemplars of innovative prescribing models, involving pharmacists and encouraging resident-centred care, may offer a more palatable approach to improving drug use in this vulnerable population...
- Khat use as risk factor for psychotic disorders: a cross-sectional and case-control study in SomaliaMichael Odenwald
Department of Psychology, University of Konstanz, Fach D25, D 78476 Konstanz, Germany
BMC Med 3:5. 2005..We aimed to explore the prevalence of psychotic disorders among the general population and the association between khat use and psychotic symptoms...
- Polypharmacy: when is it rational?Sheldon H Preskorn
University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Clinical Research Institute, Wichita, KS 67211, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 13:97-105. 2007..The authors then present a list of 10 criteria to guide the rational use of psychotropic polypharmacy and explain each in detail with examples drawn from clinical practice...
- Organisational downsizing and increased use of psychotropic drugs among employees who remain in employmentMika Kivimaki
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:154-8. 2007..The authors examined whether working in downsizing organisations predicts use of psychotropic drugs among employees who remain in employment.
- Exposure to potentially inappropriate drugs and drug-drug interactions in elderly nursing home residents in Helsinki, Finland: a cross-sectional studyHelka M V Hosia-Randell
Research and Development Unit for Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Drugs Aging 25:683-92. 2008....
- Regulation of adult neurogenesis by psychotropic drugs and stressR S Duman
Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut Mental Health Center, Hew Haven 06508, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 299:401-7. 2001..In addition, exposure to psychotropic drugs or stress regulates the rate of neurogenesis in adult brain, suggesting a possible role for neurogenesis in ..
- Sensitivity of the five-choice serial reaction time task to the effects of various psychotropic drugs in Sprague-Dawley ratsTracie A Paine
Behavioral Genetics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:687-93. 2007..The five-choice serial reaction time task (5CSRTT) is one such model. Here, we characterized the effects of four standard psychotropic agents on performance in the 5CSRTT...
- Differential effects of psychotropic drugs on feeding in rats: is histamine blockade involved?N Orthen-Gambill
Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 36:837-41. 1990..In support of the hypothesis, significant appetite stimulation occurred only with promazine, while the other two test agents did not increase feeding, and even produced some suppression in food intake...
- An evaluation of an adapted U.S. model of pharmaceutical care to improve psychoactive prescribing for nursing home residents in northern ireland (fleetwood northern ireland study)Susan M Patterson
Clinical and Practice Research Group, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:44-53. 2010..To test the effect of an adapted U.S. model of pharmaceutical care on prescribing of inappropriate psychoactive (anxiolytic, hypnotic, and antipsychotic) medications and falls in nursing homes for older people in Northern Ireland (NI)...
- Quality of life for people with dementia living in residential and nursing home care: the impact of performance on activities of daily living, behavioral and psychological symptoms, language skills, and psychotropic drugsC Ballard
Institute for the Health of the Elderly, Wolfson Research Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 13:93-106. 2001..in six facilities received a standardized assessment (Neuropsychiatric Inventory [NPI], Barthel Scale, psychotropic drugs)...
- The neurocognitive enhancement of surgeons: an ethical perspectiveOliver J Warren
Surgical Cognition and Neuro Imaging Group, Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Surg Res 152:167-72. 2009....
- Behavioral symptoms and the administration of psychotropic drugs to aged patients with dementia in nursing homes and in acute geriatric wardsK H Pitkala
Department of Medicine, Geriatric Clinic, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
Int Psychogeriatr 16:61-74. 2004..To describe the prevalence of various psychiatric and behavioral symptoms among patients with dementia in nursing homes and acute geriatric wards and to investigate the administration of psychotropic medications to these patients...
- Psychotropic drugs up-regulate the expression of cholesterol transport proteins including ApoE in cultured human CNS- and liver cellsAudun O Vik-Mo
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Dr Einar Martens Research Group for Biological Psychiatry and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, Norway
BMC Pharmacol 9:10. 2009..The aim of the present proof-of-principle study was to investigate whether such drugs also affect lipid transport and export pathways in cultured human CNS and liver cells...
- Psychotropic drugs, cardiac arrhythmia, and sudden deathHarry J Witchel
Department of Physiology and Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:58-77. 2003..Some psychotropic drugs, particularly tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and antipsychotic agents, are correlated with iatrogenic ..
- Brain imaging research: does the science serve clinical practice?Dean F Wong
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Division of Nuclear Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0807, USA
Int Rev Psychiatry 19:541-58. 2007..For example, an optimal dose of D2 antagonist antipsychotics produces occupancy of 65% to 80% of D2 receptors, while a greater dose carries a risk of extrapyramidal side effects...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptors in the tripartite synapse as a target for new psychotropic drugsJoanna M Wieronska
Institute of Pharmacology PAS, Cracow, Poland
Neurochem Int 55:85-97. 2009..At present, the most potent seem to be negative allosteric modulators of the first group (mGlu1 and mGlu5), and positive allosteric modulators of the second (mGlu2 and mGlu3) and third (mGlu4/7/8) group of mGlu receptors...
- Psychotropic drugs associated with corrected QT interval prolongationCharlotte van Noord
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:9-15. 2009To study whether listed putative corrected QT (QTc)-prolonging psychotropic drugs indeed prolong the QTc interval under everyday circumstances and to evaluate whether this is a class effect or an individual drug effect, we conducted a ..
- Psychopharmacological treatment of depression, anxiety, irritability and insomnia in patients receiving interferon-alpha: a prospective case series and a discussion of biological mechanismsClementine Maddock
Maudsley Hospital, London, UK
J Psychopharmacol 18:41-6. 2004..Thus, psychopharmacological management can successfully treat psychiatric symptoms in patients who are receiving IFN-alpha...
- Functional dyspepsia: are psychosocial factors of relevance?Sandra Barry
Department of Psychiatry, Alimentary Pharmacobiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
World J Gastroenterol 12:2701-7. 2006..The rationale for use of psychotropic medications in FD is apparent but the evidence base to support the use of antidepressant pharmacotherapy is to date limited...
- A review on the impact of P-glycoprotein on the penetration of drugs into the brain. Focus on psychotropic drugsKristian Linnet
The Department of Forensic Chemistry, Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Frederik V s vej 11, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:157-69. 2008..Moreover, the evidence for significant drug-drug interactions involving psychotropic drugs in rodents is considered...
- Specialist prescribing of psychotropic drugs to older persons in Sweden--a register-based study of 188,024 older personsGunilla Martinsson
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Psychiatry 12:197. 2012..This study aimed to evaluate the prescription of drugs for mental disorders to older persons (≥ 65) in Sweden, focused on the medical specialties of the prescribing physicians...
- Severe and uncommon involuntary movement disorders due to psychotropic drugsS Stubner
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 37:S54-64. 2004Disorders of involuntary movement due to psychotropic drugs pose a major problem when treating mentally ill patients...
- Psychotropics use in the Spanish elderly: predictors and evolution between years 1993 and 2003P Carrasco-Garrido
Unidad de Medicina Preventiva y Salud Publica, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16:449-57. 2007..This study mainly aimed at describing the prevalence of psychotropic medication consumption in the Spanish elderly population between the years 1993 and 2003...
- Psychotropic drugs and accidents in Scania, SwedenBirgit Modén
Department of Clinical Sciences in Malmo, Social Medicine and Health Politics, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, and CRC, Scania University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Eur J Public Health 22:726-32. 2012..The aim of the present study was to investigate the associations between medication with psychotropic drugs and injuries from two types of accidents, i.e...
- Psychotropic drugs use and risk of heat-related hospitalisationKarin Martin-Latry
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, France
Eur Psychiatry 22:335-8. 2007To assess if use of psychotropic drugs is associated with an increased risk of admission for heat-related pathologies during a heat wave period.
- New insights: dose-response relationship between psychotropic drugs and falls: a study in nursing home residents with dementiaCarolyn S Sterke
De StromenOpmaatGroep, Nursing Home Smeetsland, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Pharmacol 52:947-55. 2012The contribution of specific psychotropic drugs to fall risk in patients with dementia has not been quantified precisely until now...
- Sexual dysfunction with psychotropic drugsMichael Gitlin
Department of Psychiatry, UCLA School of Medicine, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 2200, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 4:2259-69. 2003..Treatment approaches have been poorly developed for both antidepressants and antipsychotics. Antidotes for antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction include bupropion, buspirone and sildenafil...
- Pharmacotherapy of PTSD in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: diagnostic- and symptom-guided drug selectionSomaia Mohamed
New England Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, U S Department of Veterans Affairs Connecticut Health Care System, West Haven, Conn 06516, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:959-65. 2008..S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), information on the role of psychotropic pharmacotherapy in their treatment has not been available...
- Politics and science in classifying the dangers of drugsRobin Room
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Eastern Health, Melbourne, Australia
Evid Based Ment Health 13:97-9. 2010....
- [Use of psychotropic drugs in children]D Purper-Ouakil
Service de Psychopathologie de l Enfant et de l Adolescent, Hopital Robert Debre, 48, boulevard Serurier, 75019 Paris, France
Arch Pediatr 15:1834-6. 2008..The aim of this article is to give an overview of efficacy and safety data in pediatric psychopharmacology...
- Contribution of human hepatic cytochrome p450 isoforms to the metabolism of psychotropic drugsToshiro Niwa
Post marketing Development Research Center, Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 28:1711-6. 2005The metabolic activities of six psychotropic drugs, diazepam, clotiazepam, tofisopam, etizolam, tandospirone, and imipramine, were determined for 14 isoforms of recombinant human hepatic cytochrome P450s (CYPs) and human liver microsomes ..
- [Modifications in psychotropic drug use patterns in a Southern Brazilian city]Maria Aparecida P Rodrigues
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 40:107-14. 2006..To assess the prevalence and patterns of psychotropic use by population and to compare the results with a study carried out in 1994...
- Prevalence of psychotropic use in a South Australian populationRobert Goldney
University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 14:379-83. 2006..To determine the prevalence of psychotropic medication use in a South Australian population...
- Psychotropic drugs and renal failure: translating the evidence for clinical practiceNour T Baghdady
King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Adv Ther 26:404-24. 2009..The aim of this review is to provide a clinically accessible overview of the effect of chronic renal failure on the pharmacokinetics for each of the major classes of prescribed psychotropic agents...
- Utilization of psychotropic drugs in Taiwan: an overview of outpatient sector in 2000Tung Ping Su
Department of Psychiatry, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei) 65:378-91. 2002..of the National Health Insurance claims for outpatient psychiatric services to study the utilization of psychotropic drugs. The analysis followed the drug classification and standardized measurements proposed by the World Health ..
- Pharmacokinetic changes of psychotropic drugs in patients with liver disease: implications for dose adaptationChantal Schlatter
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Drug Saf 32:561-78. 2009Dose adjustment of psychotropic drugs in patients with liver cirrhosis may be important as most of these drugs are predominantly eliminated by the liver and many of them are associated with dose-dependent adverse reactions...
- Changes between 1982 and 2000 in the prevalence of behavioral symptoms and psychotropic drug treatment among old people with cognitive impairment in geriatric careHugo Lövheim
Department of Community Medicine and Rehabilitation, Umea University, Sweden
Int Psychogeriatr 21:941-8. 2009....
- Relation of prenatal smoking exposure and use of psychotropic medication up to young adulthoodMikael Ekblad
Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Hospital, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, 20520 Turku, Finland
Am J Epidemiol 174:681-90. 2011..g., mothers' severe psychiatric illnesses). These findings show that exposure to smoking during pregnancy is linked to both mild and severe psychiatric morbidity...
- Psychotropic drugs on in vitro brain-derived neurotrophic factor production in whole blood cell cultures from healthy subjectsBun Hee Lee
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:623-7. 2010..Thus, the level of BDNF production in human blood cells may not influence the plasma or serum BDNF levels of subjects in clinical studies...
- Mental health policy and psychotropic drugsRichard G Frank
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Milbank Q 83:271-98. 2005The pace of innovation in psychotropic drugs has been rapid over the past 15 years. There also have been unprecedented increases in spending on prescription drugs generally and psychotropic medications specifically...
- Polymorphic drug metabolism (CYP2D6) and utilisation of psychotropic drugs in hospitalised psychiatric patients: a retrospective studyWim J Tamminga
Pharma Bio Research Group BV, Science Park, NL 9471 GP Zuidlaren, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:57-64. 2003..assess the influence of polymorphic drug metabolism as assessed by genotyping, on the on the utilisation of psychotropic drugs in hospitalised psychiatric patients...
- Patient satisfaction with psychotropic drugs: sensitivity to change and relationship to clinical status, quality-of-life, compliance and effectiveness of treatment. Results from a nation-wide 6-month prospective studyIsabelle Gasquet
National Institute of Health and Medical Research U669 Paris Sud Innovation Group in Adolescent Mental Health Methodology, Maison des Adolescents, Cochin Hospital, Paris, France
Eur Psychiatry 21:531-8. 2006..Elements of validation of PSP were also assessed...
- The use of drug monotherapy in psychiatric inpatient treatmentH Rittmannsberger
Department of Psychiatry 1, Nerveuklinik, Wagner Jauregg, Liez, Austria
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 26:547-51. 2002..Monotherapy has always been the goal in psychiatric drug treatment, but it does not seem to be very common in everyday practice...
- Dementia management programme in a community setting and the use of psychotropic drugs in the elderly populationErik Jedenius
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet Alzheimer Disease Research Centre, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Prim Health Care 29:181-6. 2011..The objective of the present study is to evaluate whether the dementia programme had a secondary effect on the use of psychotropic medication in the elderly population in general...
- Pills that swallow policy: clinical ethnography of a Community Mental Health Program in northern IndiaSumeet Jain
University College London
Transcult Psychiatry 46:60-85. 2009..An understanding of this process is critical for the development of training and policy that can more effectively address local mental health concerns in rural India...
- Common efficacy of psychotropic drugs in restoring stress-induced impairment of prefrontal plasticityNathalie Dupin
INSERM, U796, Pathophysiology of Psychiatric Disorders, University Paris Descartes, Faculty of Medecine Paris Descartes, Paris F 75014, France
Neurotox Res 10:193-8. 2006..We are presently investigating the involvement of signalling molecules in producing these plastic changes...
- The cannabinergic system is implicated in the upregulation of central NGF protein by psychotropic drugsParichehr Hassanzadeh
Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 215:129-41. 2011..Studies on the regulation of nerve growth factor (NGF) levels by psychotropics are limited in scope and the mechanism(s) remain elusive which merit further elucidation...
- Hidden cardiac lesions and psychotropic drugs as a possible cause of sudden death in psychiatric patients: a report of 14 cases and review of the literatureDominique Frassati
Centre Hospitalier Le Vinatier, Bron, France
Can J Psychiatry 49:100-5. 2004To confirm the hypothesis that psychotropic drugs, especially neuroleptics, lithium, and antidepressants, are implicated as a cause of unexpected sudden death in psychiatric patients because of their cardiotoxicity, especially when hidden ..
- [Reversible cardiomyopathy induced by psychotropic drugs: case report and literature overview]B Cruchaudet
Centre de cardiologie clinique et interventionnelle, Hopital du Bocage, CHU Dijon, 2, Boulevard Marechal De Lattre de Tassigny, 21034 Dijon, France
Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 51:386-90. 2002A number of psychotropic drugs, including tricyclic antidepressants, phenothiazine and lithium, have a well demonstrated risk of cardiotoxicity...
- Psychotropic drugs and falling accidents among the elderly: a nested case control study in the whole population of Scania, SwedenB Modén
Department of Clinical Sciences in Malmo, CRC, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:440-6. 2010The objective of this study was to investigate the associations between medication with psychotropic drugs and falling accidents in the whole population aged 65 years and older in the county of Scania, Sweden.
- Psychotropic medication use mediates the relationship between mood and anxiety disorders and obesity: findings from a nationally representative sampleJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology Southern Methodist University, Dedman College P O Box 750442 Dallas, TX 75275, USA
J Psychiatr Res 44:1010-6. 2010..The study findings guide advances in the theoretical conceptualization of the mechanisms involved in mood/anxiety disorder-obesity relations. Clinical implications are discussed...
- Impact of psychotropic drugs on adult hippocampal neurogenesisAnna Kubesova
3rd Faculty of Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic
Neurosci Res 73:93-8. 2012This review focuses on the relationship between psychotropic drugs and adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Adult neurogenesis is important for learning and memory, as well as for depression and anxiety...
- Psychotropic drugs and the risk of fractures in old age: a prospective population-based studyJanne Nurminen
Family Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Turku, Lemminkäisenkatu 1, Turku 20014, Finland
BMC Public Health 10:396. 2010..However, also controversial results exist. The aim was to describe associations between the use of a psychotropic drug, or the concomitant use of two or more of these drugs and the risk of fractures in a population aged 65 years or over...
- DEVELOPMENT OF SPLIT DAMID AS AN ALTERNATIVE METHODOLOGY TO CHROMATIN IMMUNOPRECIRaphael Kopan; Fiscal Year: 2010..sites directly bound by transcription factors implicated in mental health in animal models exposed to psychotropic drugs or carrying a mutation known to affect behavior in humans...
- A novel and powerful C. elegans behavioral model of addictionEric A Engleman; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the prospect of identifying new molecular targets, and the future application of this model to screen compounds for medications development, this project has a tremendous potential impact for the treatment of human drug addiction. ..
- Endocannabinoid DiscriminationJenny L Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- NEUROCHEMICAL ACTIONS OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGSSolomon H Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2013..grant has supported our research on fundamental neurochemical mechanisms which may underlie the actions of psychotropic drugs. In recent years we have characterized novel neurotransmitters such as nitric oxide and D-serine, areas ..
- Fetal Nicotine Exposure and Chemosensory PlasticitySteven L Youngentob; Fiscal Year: 2010..An understanding of these processes will facilitate the development and testing of preventive or therapeutic strategies. ..
- Development of novel vaccines against drug abuse - Proof of concept study for vacCHENMING M ZHANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project will target this need directly by developing novel vaccines for the treatment of drug addiction. These vaccines will likely possess greater stability and immunogenicity when compared with the current vaccines. ..
- Neurosteroid-BZ combinations: Strategy for reducing abuse and sedationJames K Rowlett; Fiscal Year: 2013..The ultimate goal for this research program is to provide critical preclinical information for development of a broadly effective combination product with an improved side effect profile for treating anxiety disorders. ..
- Beta-catenin modulates dopamine dependent signal transduction and behavior.JOSHUA CLAIR SNYDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..reports suggesting that 2-catenin may be a downstream effector molecule necessary for the efficacy of psychotropic drugs we propose to test the hypothesis that that dopamine signaling and the actions of psychotropic drugs are ..
- Phosphorylation and Regulation of Dopamine TransportersRoxanne A Vaughan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Modulation of Dopaminergic VTA Neurons by Urotensin IISTEWART DONALDSON CLARK; Fiscal Year: 2010..The investigation of which may add another layer of understanding the complex action of psychoactive drugs. ..
- Structural characterization of a human neurotransmitter transporterKevin H Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..This application seeks to better understand how drugs affect neurotransmitter transporters by both abused and therapeutic drugs in the hope that more effective compounds can be developed. ..
- Improving Outcome in Neonatal Abstinence SyndromeBarry M Lester; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Molecular mechanisms of stimulant abuseAURELIO ANTONIO contact GALLI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Defining how insulin signaling affects dopamine neurotransmission may help to explain the mechanistic basis of how food intake regulates dopamine neurotransmission and drug abuse. ..
- Yale/NIDA Neuroproteomics Research CenterKENNETH ROBERT WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Univ. Texas) with established records of research into the molecular actions of psychostimulants and psychotropic drugs, as well as of other basic aspects of neurobiology, will continue to work together with members of the W.M...
- Fluoxetine: Sensitive Ages and Genotypes for Adverse Effects in Juvenile MonkeysMari S Golub; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study will help guide safe use of fluoxetine in children. ..
- Methamphetamine &Amphetamine Differentially Affect Dopamine Transporter ActivityHabibeh Khoshbouei; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Neglected By The Evidence: The Intersection of Medical Complexity and DementiaLori A Daiello; Fiscal Year: 2013..other general or regional (spinal or epidural) anesthesia on the rate of post- operative cognitive and functional decline in cognitively impaired patients in the year after hip fracture repair surgery. ..
- Drugs of Abuse and Memory SpanJOSEPH MARK GALIZIO; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Drugs of abuse may produce cognitive deficits and this project will develop a new animal model to identify and characterize acute and residual effects of abused drugs on memory capacity. ..
- NIDA Epidemiology Training Program: ICOHRTAJAMES CHRISTOPHER ANTHONY; Fiscal Year: 2010..In renewal, the partners will solve problems that surfaced in the first years (e.g., augment science writing instruction;use internet for frequent video-conferencing). ..
- DRUG ABUSE RESEARCH CENTERSolomon H Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2013..how novel proteins and small molecular messengers provide the neuronal signaling which underlies actions of psychotropic drugs. The ongoing and proposed projects of the four principal investigators interdigitate and are notably ..
- Heavy Metal and Drug Self-Administration: MechanismsPAUL JEFFERSON WELLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..e., lead contamination and cocaine use. Based on the available literature, there is reason to believe that environmental pollutants may increase vulnerability to drug addiction. ..
- Comparing Methods to Pay for Psychotropic Medications for Medicare BeneficiariesYuting Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will compare approaches that involve: a) covering generic psychotropic drugs, b) covering all psychotropic drugs for a certain subpopulation, and c) reducing the size of the doughnut ..
- Ligand-Specific Allosteric Modulation by Drugs of AbuseMICHAEL VINCENT LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Psychotropic drugs often target neuronal membrane proteins that are functionally activated through complicated allosteric ..
- Gamma-Secretase and Myelin: A Paradigm Shift in Brain DisordersGang Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..As such this work represents a new way of thinking about brain functions and disorders. ..
- Amphetamine Regulation of DAT Function in c.elegansLucia Carvelli; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Gestational Age Variation in Human Placental Transport MechanismsSammanda Ramamoorthy; Fiscal Year: 2013..This translational research will promote more informed decisions regarding fetal risk from psychoactive drug use during pregnancy. ..
- A novel cannabinoid receptor in cortical nerve terminalsStephen M Smith; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cannabis is one of the most widely used psychotropic drugs and it has been linked with numerous serious adverse effects including dependence, psychiatric disorders, and cardio-respiratory disease...
- Effects of Morphine on Chimeric HIV-1 Infection in MiceJENNIFER L KELSCHENBACH; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Pain, psychological symptoms, and prescription/illicit drug use in the MACSJENNIE C TSAO; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- In Vivo Discovery of Psychotropic Drugs by High-Throughput Behavioral PhenotypingRandall T Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2012In vivo discovery of psychotropic drugs by high-throughput behavioral phenotyping the challenge despite their ubiquity and impact, diseases of the central nervous system (CNS) remain among the most poorly treated medical conditions...
- MECHANISMS OF ACTIVE NEUROTRANSMITTER TRANSPORTShimon Schuldiner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hence the study of the mode of action of the neurotransporters, as proposed in this research project, is fundamental for understanding the communication between nerve cells in the normal and diseased brain. ..
- The Ninth Annual Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry MeetingAnil K Malhotra; Fiscal Year: 2013..in order to engender true interdisciplinary approaches to the problem of variation in clinical response to psychotropic drugs. The meetings have been highly successful as evidenced by continued growth in participation, excellent ..
- Immune Tolerance; Sigma Receptor as a Therapeutic TargetVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Using Perturbation to Characterize, and Build Models of, Individual NeuronsMichael H Rowe; Fiscal Year: 2010..The data could suggest novel treatment approaches for drug addiction and drug-induced nervous system damage. ..
- POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING IN THE BIOLOGY OF DRUG ABUSEJohn R Traynor; Fiscal Year: 2013..They include state-of-the-art tools for mouse and rat genetics, genomics, proteomics, and informatics. Thus, our postdoctoral fellows will profit from a highly sophisticated, yet supportive, research and training environment. ..
- Parity and Addiction Act: Impact on Benefits, Use and CostsSUSAN LOUISE ETTNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..will examine the association of MHPAEA with changes in access, utilization and cost of MH/SA services and psychotropic drugs, using linked insurance claims and eligibility data from 2008 to 2013...
- XEROSTOMIA-INDUCING MECHANISMS OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGSJIA HUEY YU; Fiscal Year: 1993..It would also provide information regarding the beneficial effect of a pharmacologic agent, Sialor, in antagonizing drug-induced changes in salivary gland function...
- RADIOLIGANDS FOR CENTRAL NORADRENERGIC UPTAKE SITESShanaz Tejani Butt; Fiscal Year: 1992..abnormalities associated with depression and related psychiatric disorders or the mechanism(s) of action of psychotropic drugs has focused on brain monoamines, in particular norepinephrine and serotonin (5HT)...
- ABUSE LIABILITY OF COMMONLY PRESCRIBED HYPNOTICSCRAIG RUSH; Fiscal Year: 1999..Thus, this FIRST Award will sere as a foundation for future R01 applications to study sedative hypnotic compounds with unique neuropharmacological profiles. ..
- PSYCHOMOTOR STIMULANTS AND ADRENERGIC NERVE FUNCTIONCharles Smith; Fiscal Year: 1991..noradrenergic neurons in the central nervous system are important sites for the pharmacological actions of psychotropic drugs, especially those psychomotor stimulants such as cocaine and the amphetamines which are known to release ..
- PSYCHOTROPIC DRUG SENSITIVITY IN THE ELDERLYLawrence Miller; Fiscal Year: 1993b>Psychotropic drugs are commonly used in the elderly, and their use is associated with substantial morbidity due to drug toxicity and interactions. Toxicity occurs in part due to enhanced sensitivity to drugs in the elderly...
- Periadolescent Methylphenidate exposure: Brain functionDiana Dow Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through these studies, a comprehensive pre-clinical evaluation of the effects of chronic methylphenidate on learning, behavior, brain function and molecular patterns will be completed. ..
- NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY OF ALTERED CONSCIOUSNESSReese Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies are multidisciplinary. They involve only human volunteers. The research will further understanding psychoactive drug use, health consequences and management. ..
- DRUGS, ALCOHOL AND DRIVING: PREVALENCE AND CRASH RISKM Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS, ELECTROSHOCK & BRAIN AMINE UPTAKEEDITH HENDLEY; Fiscal Year: 1980..More importantly, our studies should also shed light on the uptake mechanism itself, which is a common mode olfaction of a number of drugs that are popularly abused, e.g. cocaine and amphetamines. ..
- HYPERKINETIC BOYS AND THEIR SIBLINGS AS YOUNG ADULTSJan Loney; Fiscal Year: 1991..Unmedicated group (also referred between 1972-1975,ut, because of physician preference, not treated with psychotropic drugs); and d) a Late Unmedicated group (referred between 1976-1978 and not treated with psychotropic drugs)...
- HAART Regimens in Substance AbusersDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..inhibitors and/or inducers of human Cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) isoforms, responsible for metabolism of many psychotropic drugs, potentially abusable drugs, and substance abuse treatments...
- PSYCHOACTIVE DRUGS: BIOCHEMICAL MECHANISMS OF ACTIONElaine Sanders Bush; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- PRESCRIBING PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS TO YOUTH: CULTURAL FACTORS IN PARENTAL ATTITUDESDavid Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2009..culturally related constructs explain ethnic and racial differences in parents'willingness to prescribe psychotropic drugs to youth...
- PSYCHOACTIVE DRUG METABOLISM BY BRAIN CYTOCHROMES P450Vijayalakshmi Ravindranath; Fiscal Year: 1999..Human brain P-450 may influence pharmacological modulation of drugs acting on CNS; it is therefore important to identify P-450 mediated biotransformation of psychoactive drugs and characterize the enzymes mediating such reactions. ..
- ALZHEIMER'S IN LONG TERM PROPRANOLOL FOR AGITATIONElaine Peskind; Fiscal Year: 2003..data available suggest only modest efficacy and substantial adverse effects for antipsychotic and other psychotropic drugs prescribed for these problems...
- BENZODIAZEPINE EFFECTS ON THE PERCEPTION OF SLEEPWallace Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- FUNCTIONAL EFFECTS OF ALLELIC VARIATION IN HUMAN CYP2D6ROBERT HAINING; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, we believe that isoforms of 2D6 which affect active site serine and threonine residues will show altered partition ratio of dextromethorphan O-demethylated to N-demethylated metabolites. ..
- Alcohol/naltrexone, neuropeptide interaction with opioid receptor dynamics studieDONNA GRUOL; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed studies will investigate actions of alcohol that occur at the level of the opioid receptor level to gain an understanding of mechanisms that mediate alcohol-opioid interactions. ..
- PSYCHOACTIVE DRUG USE BY NURSING HOME ELDERLYJudith Garrard; Fiscal Year: 1993..My plans for career development phase are fourfold: To learn about psychotropic drugs by taking graduate level courses in pharmacotherapeutics; To gain experimental knowledge about how health ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL PHARMCOKINETICS OF PSYCHORTOPIC DRUGSLouise Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2004..the limited pharmacokinetic(PK) information, child psychiatrists are forced to prescribe a new generation of psychotropic drugs to children using dosing regimens extrapolated from adults...
- PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS & MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR TYPESHENRY YAMAMURA; Fiscal Year: 1992..Furthermore, these cell lines will be used as models for the development of selective drugs which act at a single type of mAChR thereby improving therapeutic effects while reducing side effects...
- NEUROCHEMICAL ACTIONS OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGSSOLOMON SNYDER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will characterize putative protein phosphorylation by PP-IP 5. We will also complete purif aboutcation and cloning of PP-IPs kinase which forms bis PP-IP4, which contains two pyrophosphate groups. ..
- NICOTINE'S EFFECTS ON OTHER DRUGS OF ABUSEElena Kouri; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY SOCIETIES MEETINGJack Bergman; Fiscal Year: 1999..Finally, proceedings of the meeting will be published in high-impact international journals, assuring their timely dissemination to the entire scientific community. ..
- TMS Intervention Development for Auditory HallucinationsRalph Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2003Auditory hallucinations of speech reported by patients with schizophrenia are often resistant to psychotropic drugs and can cause significant distress, functional disability and behavioral dyscontrol...
- PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS AND CARE OUTCOMES IN NURSING HOMESBARRY FOGEL; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- LOCALIZED NEUROTOXICITY OF METHAMPHETAMINE AND COCAINEDAVID BRUNSWICK; Fiscal Year: 1990..These studies will allow for an assessment of possible regional difference in sensitivity to the neurotoxic effects of these drugs of abuse...