Genomes and Genes
Summary: A loosely defined grouping of drugs that have effects on psychological function. Here the psychotropic agents include the antidepressive agents, hallucinogens, and tranquilizing agents (including the antipsychotics and anti-anxiety agents).
Publications323 found, 100 shown here
- Neurotrophin levels in postmortem brains of suicide victims and the effects of antemortem diagnosis and psychotropic drugsFelicien Karege
Geneva University Hospitals, Department of Psychiatry, 2 ch Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Switzerland
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 136:29-37. 2005..absence of change in BDNF and NT-3 levels of drug-treated suicide victims suggests that both neurotrophins are mediators of psychotropic drugs. A better understanding of the neurobiology of suicide could help detect populations at risk.
- The plasma levels of interleukin-12 in schizophrenia, major depression, and bipolar mania: effects of psychotropic drugsY K Kim
Department of Psychiatry, Korea University Ansan Hospital, College of Medicine, Korea
Mol Psychiatry 7:1107-14. 2002....
- Neurocognitive functioning in patients with bipolar I disorder recently recovered from a first manic episodeIvan J Torres
Research Department, Riverview Hospital, British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Services, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1234-42. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine whether neuropsychological impairments are present in clinically stable patients with bipolar disorder shortly after resolution of their first manic episode...
- Biomarkers in development of psychotropic drugsK Wiedemann
University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 13:225-34. 2011..With a view to developing more individually tailored therapeutic strategies, the characterization of patients and the courses of different types of treatment will become even more important in the future...
- Abrupt discontinuation of psychotropic drugs during pregnancy: fear of teratogenic risk and impact of counsellingA Einarson
Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto ON 5G 1X8
J Psychiatry Neurosci 26:44-8. 2001..To assess the consequences to mother and baby of abruptly discontinuing antidepressant or benzodiazepine medication during pregnancy and to assess the impact of our counselling...
- Psychotropic medication use among nursing home residents in Austria: a cross-sectional studyEva Mann
General practice and Institute for Health Services Research, Rankweil, Austria
BMC Geriatr 9:18. 2009..In Austria, prevalence data are lacking. We aimed to determine the prevalence of psychotropic medication prescription in Austrian nursing homes and to explore characteristics associated with their prescription...
- Mental disorders and the use of alternative medicine: results from a national surveyJ Unutzer
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Santa Monica, CA 90024, USA
Am J Psychiatry 157:1851-7. 2000..The study examined the relationship between mental disorders and the use of complementary and alternative medicine...
- Heterozygous neuregulin 1 mice are more sensitive to the behavioural effects of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinolA A Boucher
Neuroscience Institute of Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW, 2010, Australia
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 192:325-36. 2007..Cannabis use may precipitate schizophrenia especially if the individual has a genetic vulnerability to this mental disorder. Human and animal research indicates that neuregulin 1 (Nrg1) is a susceptibility gene for schizophrenia...
- Genetic dissection of behavioural and autonomic effects of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in miceKrisztina Monory
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
PLoS Biol 5:e269. 2007....
- Akt/GSK3 signaling in the action of psychotropic drugsJean Martin Beaulieu
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Université Laval CRULRG, Quebec, Canada
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 49:327-47. 2009b>Psychotropic drugs acting on monoamine neurotransmission are major pharmacological treatments for neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, Tourette syndrome, ADHD, and Alzheimer disease...
- Distinct neurometabolic profiles are evident in the anterior cingulate of young people with major psychiatric disordersD F Hermens
Clinical Research Unit, Brain and Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Transl Psychiatry 2:e110. 2012....
- [Pharmacological neuroenhancement and brain doping : Chances and risks]A G Franke
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg Universität, Mainz, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 53:853-9. 2010..Brain doping" raises numerous ethical and social concerns that require a continued discussion. Demands of liberalization should be critically questioned...
- The consumption of khat and other drugs in Somali combatants: a cross-sectional studyMichael Odenwald
PLoS Med 4:e341. 2007....
- The risk of falls and fractures associated with persistent use of psychotropic medications in elderly peopleAgnes I Vitry
Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre, Sansom Institute, University of South Australia, GPO Box 2471, Adelaide SA 5001, Australia
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 50:e1-4. 2010..After adjusting for BMI, the IRR in females decreased to 1.22 (95% CI 1.02-1.45; p<0.015) for falls and the RR decreased to 1.92 (p<0.015, CI 1.13-3.24) for fractures...
- Effect of interventions to reduce potentially inappropriate use of drugs in nursing homes: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsLouise Forsetlund
Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services, St Olavsplass, Oslo, Norway
BMC Geriatr 11:16. 2011..The purpose of the review was to identify and summarise the effect of interventions aimed at reducing potentially inappropriate use or prescribing of drugs in nursing homes...
- Poor health behaviour and reduced quality of life of people treated with psychotropic drugsMartin Kopp
Department of Sport Science, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Hum Psychopharmacol 26:161-7. 2011..We have investigated health behaviour, quality of life, and sociodemographic variables of people with psychopharmacological treatment using data from the most recent Austrian Health Survey...
- Putting the efficacy of psychiatric and general medicine medication into perspective: review of meta-analysesStefan Leucht
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaningerstr 22, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 200:97-106. 2012..The efficacy of psychopharmacological treatments has been called into question. Psychiatrists are unfamiliar with the effectiveness of common medical drugs...
- Antisuicide properties of psychotropic drugs: a critical reviewCarrie L Ernst
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, MA, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 12:14-41. 2004..Recommendations are provided to guide future research as well as clinical practice...
- Psychotropic drugs and falls in the elderly people: updated literature review and meta-analysisFrederic Bloch
Department of Gerontology, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris Hôpital Broca, France
J Aging Health 23:329-46. 2011To carry out meta-analyses on psychotropic drugs and to provide an update of the risk of falling in the elderly people related to psychotropic drugs.
- Neurodevelopmental effects of prenatal exposure to psychotropic medicationsSalvatore Gentile
Department of Mental Health, ASL Salerno, Mental Health Center, Cava de Tirreni, Salerno, Italy
Depress Anxiety 27:675-86. 2010..For all classes of psychotropics, new and/or further studies are warranted to answer definitively the urgent question about the impact of prenatal exposure to such medications on infant development...
- Administrative initiatives for reducing inappropriate prescribing of psychotropic drugs in nursing homes: how successful have they been?Carmel M Hughes
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Drugs Aging 22:339-51. 2005..Exemplars of innovative prescribing models, involving pharmacists and encouraging resident-centred care, may offer a more palatable approach to improving drug use in this vulnerable population...
- Sensitivity of the five-choice serial reaction time task to the effects of various psychotropic drugs in Sprague-Dawley ratsTracie A Paine
Behavioral Genetics Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:687-93. 2007..The five-choice serial reaction time task (5CSRTT) is one such model. Here, we characterized the effects of four standard psychotropic agents on performance in the 5CSRTT...
- Exposure to potentially inappropriate drugs and drug-drug interactions in elderly nursing home residents in Helsinki, Finland: a cross-sectional studyHelka M V Hosia-Randell
Research and Development Unit for Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Drugs Aging 25:683-92. 2008....
- Regulation of adult neurogenesis by psychotropic drugs and stressR S Duman
Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut Mental Health Center, Hew Haven 06508, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 299:401-7. 2001..In addition, exposure to psychotropic drugs or stress regulates the rate of neurogenesis in adult brain, suggesting a possible role for neurogenesis in ..
- Differential effects of psychotropic drugs on feeding in rats: is histamine blockade involved?N Orthen-Gambill
Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 36:837-41. 1990..In support of the hypothesis, significant appetite stimulation occurred only with promazine, while the other two test agents did not increase feeding, and even produced some suppression in food intake...
- Psychotropic drugs, cardiac arrhythmia, and sudden deathHarry J Witchel
Department of Physiology and Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:58-77. 2003..Some psychotropic drugs, particularly tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and antipsychotic agents, are correlated with iatrogenic ..
- Brain imaging research: does the science serve clinical practice?Dean F Wong
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Division of Nuclear Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0807, USA
Int Rev Psychiatry 19:541-58. 2007..For example, an optimal dose of D2 antagonist antipsychotics produces occupancy of 65% to 80% of D2 receptors, while a greater dose carries a risk of extrapyramidal side effects...
- Psychotropic drugs up-regulate the expression of cholesterol transport proteins including ApoE in cultured human CNS- and liver cellsAudun O Vik-Mo
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Dr Einar Martens Research Group for Biological Psychiatry and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, Norway
BMC Pharmacol 9:10. 2009..The aim of the present proof-of-principle study was to investigate whether such drugs also affect lipid transport and export pathways in cultured human CNS and liver cells...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptors in the tripartite synapse as a target for new psychotropic drugsJoanna M Wieronska
Institute of Pharmacology PAS, Cracow, Poland
Neurochem Int 55:85-97. 2009..At present, the most potent seem to be negative allosteric modulators of the first group (mGlu1 and mGlu5), and positive allosteric modulators of the second (mGlu2 and mGlu3) and third (mGlu4/7/8) group of mGlu receptors...
- Behavioral symptoms and the administration of psychotropic drugs to aged patients with dementia in nursing homes and in acute geriatric wardsK H Pitkala
Department of Medicine, Geriatric Clinic, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
Int Psychogeriatr 16:61-74. 2004..To describe the prevalence of various psychiatric and behavioral symptoms among patients with dementia in nursing homes and acute geriatric wards and to investigate the administration of psychotropic medications to these patients...
- Psychotropic drugs associated with corrected QT interval prolongationCharlotte van Noord
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:9-15. 2009To study whether listed putative corrected QT (QTc)-prolonging psychotropic drugs indeed prolong the QTc interval under everyday circumstances and to evaluate whether this is a class effect or an individual drug effect, we conducted a ..
- Psychopharmacological treatment of depression, anxiety, irritability and insomnia in patients receiving interferon-alpha: a prospective case series and a discussion of biological mechanismsClementine Maddock
Maudsley Hospital, London, UK
J Psychopharmacol 18:41-6. 2004..Thus, psychopharmacological management can successfully treat psychiatric symptoms in patients who are receiving IFN-alpha...
- A review on the impact of P-glycoprotein on the penetration of drugs into the brain. Focus on psychotropic drugsKristian Linnet
The Department of Forensic Chemistry, Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Frederik V s vej 11, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:157-69. 2008..Moreover, the evidence for significant drug-drug interactions involving psychotropic drugs in rodents is considered...
- Functional dyspepsia: are psychosocial factors of relevance?Sandra Barry
Department of Psychiatry, Alimentary Pharmacobiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
World J Gastroenterol 12:2701-7. 2006..The rationale for use of psychotropic medications in FD is apparent but the evidence base to support the use of antidepressant pharmacotherapy is to date limited...
- Use of psychotropic drugs in elderly nursing home residents with and without dementia in Helsinki, FinlandHelka Hosia-Randell
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Drugs Aging 22:793-800. 2005..Our objective was to describe the use of psychotropic drugs in all long-term nursing home residents > or =65 years of age with and without dementia in Helsinki, Finland.
- Mental health policy and psychotropic drugsRichard G Frank
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Milbank Q 83:271-98. 2005The pace of innovation in psychotropic drugs has been rapid over the past 15 years. There also have been unprecedented increases in spending on prescription drugs generally and psychotropic medications specifically...
- Relation of prenatal smoking exposure and use of psychotropic medication up to young adulthoodMikael Ekblad
Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Hospital, Kiinamyllynkatu 4 8, 20520 Turku, Finland
Am J Epidemiol 174:681-90. 2011..g., mothers' severe psychiatric illnesses). These findings show that exposure to smoking during pregnancy is linked to both mild and severe psychiatric morbidity...
- Psychotropic drugs on in vitro brain-derived neurotrophic factor production in whole blood cell cultures from healthy subjectsBun Hee Lee
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:623-7. 2010..Thus, the level of BDNF production in human blood cells may not influence the plasma or serum BDNF levels of subjects in clinical studies...
- The use of drug monotherapy in psychiatric inpatient treatmentH Rittmannsberger
Department of Psychiatry 1, Nerveuklinik, Wagner Jauregg, Liez, Austria
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 26:547-51. 2002..Monotherapy has always been the goal in psychiatric drug treatment, but it does not seem to be very common in everyday practice...
- Patient satisfaction with psychotropic drugs: sensitivity to change and relationship to clinical status, quality-of-life, compliance and effectiveness of treatment. Results from a nation-wide 6-month prospective studyIsabelle Gasquet
National Institute of Health and Medical Research U669 Paris Sud Innovation Group in Adolescent Mental Health Methodology, Maison des Adolescents, Cochin Hospital, Paris, France
Eur Psychiatry 21:531-8. 2006..Elements of validation of PSP were also assessed...
- Polymorphic drug metabolism (CYP2D6) and utilisation of psychotropic drugs in hospitalised psychiatric patients: a retrospective studyWim J Tamminga
Pharma Bio Research Group BV, Science Park, NL 9471 GP Zuidlaren, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:57-64. 2003..assess the influence of polymorphic drug metabolism as assessed by genotyping, on the on the utilisation of psychotropic drugs in hospitalised psychiatric patients...
- Pills that swallow policy: clinical ethnography of a Community Mental Health Program in northern IndiaSumeet Jain
University College London
Transcult Psychiatry 46:60-85. 2009..An understanding of this process is critical for the development of training and policy that can more effectively address local mental health concerns in rural India...
- Dementia management programme in a community setting and the use of psychotropic drugs in the elderly populationErik Jedenius
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet Alzheimer Disease Research Centre, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Prim Health Care 29:181-6. 2011..The objective of the present study is to evaluate whether the dementia programme had a secondary effect on the use of psychotropic medication in the elderly population in general...
- Psychotropic medication use mediates the relationship between mood and anxiety disorders and obesity: findings from a nationally representative sampleJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology Southern Methodist University, Dedman College P O Box 750442 Dallas, TX 75275, USA
J Psychiatr Res 44:1010-6. 2010..The study findings guide advances in the theoretical conceptualization of the mechanisms involved in mood/anxiety disorder-obesity relations. Clinical implications are discussed...
- Impact of psychotropic drugs on adult hippocampal neurogenesisAnna Kubesova
3rd Faculty of Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic
Neurosci Res 73:93-8. 2012This review focuses on the relationship between psychotropic drugs and adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Adult neurogenesis is important for learning and memory, as well as for depression and anxiety...
- Inappropriate prescribing in older residents of Australian care homesA C Stafford
School of Pharmacy, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
J Clin Pharm Ther 36:33-44. 2011..We aimed to determine the prevalence of inappropriate prescribing in residents of Tasmanian (Australia) residential care homes using Beers and McLeod criteria...
- The cannabinergic system is implicated in the upregulation of central NGF protein by psychotropic drugsParichehr Hassanzadeh
Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 215:129-41. 2011..Studies on the regulation of nerve growth factor (NGF) levels by psychotropics are limited in scope and the mechanism(s) remain elusive which merit further elucidation...
- Psychotropic drugs and falling accidents among the elderly: a nested case control study in the whole population of Scania, SwedenB Modén
Department of Clinical Sciences in Malmo, CRC, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:440-6. 2010The objective of this study was to investigate the associations between medication with psychotropic drugs and falling accidents in the whole population aged 65 years and older in the county of Scania, Sweden.
- Common efficacy of psychotropic drugs in restoring stress-induced impairment of prefrontal plasticityNathalie Dupin
INSERM, U796, Pathophysiology of Psychiatric Disorders, University Paris Descartes, Faculty of Medecine Paris Descartes, Paris F 75014, France
Neurotox Res 10:193-8. 2006..We are presently investigating the involvement of signalling molecules in producing these plastic changes...
- Psychotropic drugs and the risk of fractures in old age: a prospective population-based studyJanne Nurminen
Family Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Turku, Lemminkäisenkatu 1, Turku 20014, Finland
BMC Public Health 10:396. 2010..However, also controversial results exist. The aim was to describe associations between the use of a psychotropic drug, or the concomitant use of two or more of these drugs and the risk of fractures in a population aged 65 years or over...
- Hidden cardiac lesions and psychotropic drugs as a possible cause of sudden death in psychiatric patients: a report of 14 cases and review of the literatureDominique Frassati
Centre Hospitalier Le Vinatier, Bron, France
Can J Psychiatry 49:100-5. 2004To confirm the hypothesis that psychotropic drugs, especially neuroleptics, lithium, and antidepressants, are implicated as a cause of unexpected sudden death in psychiatric patients because of their cardiotoxicity, especially when hidden ..
- [Reversible cardiomyopathy induced by psychotropic drugs: case report and literature overview]B Cruchaudet
Centre de cardiologie clinique et interventionnelle, Hopital du Bocage, CHU Dijon, 2, Boulevard Marechal De Lattre de Tassigny, 21034 Dijon, France
Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 51:386-90. 2002A number of psychotropic drugs, including tricyclic antidepressants, phenothiazine and lithium, have a well demonstrated risk of cardiotoxicity...
- [Taking drugs in the working environment: a study in a sample of 2106 workers in the Toulouse metropolitan area]Maryse Lapeyre-Mestre
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique, EA 3696, Unité de Pharmacoépidémiology, IFR 126, Faculte de Medecine, Toulouse, France
Therapie 59:615-23. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the frequency and characteristics of "supportive" drug use and addictive behaviour in the working environment...
- Psychotropic drug use among older people in general practice: discrepancies between opinion and practiceAndrea Lasserre
INSERM, U707, Paris, France UPMC Université Paris 6, UMR S707, Paris, France
Br J Gen Pract 60:e156-62. 2010The use of psychotropic drugs has increased over recent years in France. GPs are the first prescribers, especially for older patients.
- Psychogenic nonepileptic seizuresTaoufik M Alsaadi
Department of Neurology, University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, California 95817 2307, USA
Am Fam Physician 72:849-56. 2005..Treatment involves discontinuation of antiepileptic drugs in patients without concurrent epilepsy and referral for appropriate psychiatric care. More studies are needed to determine the best treatment modalities...
- Psychotropic drugs and the perioperative period: a proposal for a guideline in elective surgeryFrits J Huyse
Dept of General Internal Medicine, University Medical Center, Groningen, The Netherlands
Psychosomatics 47:8-22. 2006Evidence-based guidelines for the perioperative management of psychotropic drugs are lacking. The level of evidence is low and is based on case reports, open trials, and non-systematic reviews...
- The prevalence of psychiatric symptoms and behavioural disturbances and the use of psychotropic drugs in Norwegian nursing homesGeir Selbaek
Research Centre for Old Age Psychiatric Research, Innlandet Hospital Trust, Ottestad, Norway
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:843-9. 2007Psychiatric and behavioural symptoms in dementia are associated with a range of negative outcomes, including institutional placement and the widespread use of psychotropic drugs in spite of limited evidence for their efficacy.
- Do male and female adolescents differ in the effect of individual and family characteristics on their use of psychotropic drugs?Michele Baumann
Integrative Research Unit Individual and Social Development, Faculty LSHASE, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Eur J Pediatr 166:29-35. 2007..Preventive measures should be taken to make adolescents and their parents more aware of the risks and to improve their living conditions...
- Use of psychotropic drugs in an urban adolescent population: the impact of health-related variables, lifestyle and sociodemographic factors--The Oslo Health Study 2000-2001Svetlana Skurtveit
Division of Epidemiology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Nydalen, Oslo, Norway
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 14:277-83. 2005The aims of the study were to examine use of psychotropic drugs among 15-16 years old adolescents and to study the association between use of drugs and health-related, lifestyle and sociodemographic factors.
- Duration of lithium treatment is a risk factor for reduced glomerular function: a cross-sectional studyAlberto Bocchetta
Section of Neuroscience and Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Cagliari, Via Ospedale 54, Cagliari, 09124 Italy
BMC Med 11:33. 2013..In this cross-sectional study, we examined glomerular function in a cohort of patients treated with lithium for up to 33 years and a control group of lithium-naïve patients treated with other mood-stabilizers...
- Analyses of second-generation 'legal highs' in the UK: initial findingsSimon D Brandt
School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Drug Test Anal 2:377-82. 2010..These findings also suggest that both consumers and online sellers (unlike manufacturers and wholesalers) are, most likely unknowingly, confronted with the risk of criminalization and potential harm...
- Pollution by psychoactive pharmaceuticals in the Rivers of Madrid metropolitan area (Spain)Silvia González Alonso
Department of Preventive Medicine, Public Health, Immunology, and Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Health Science, Rey Juan Carlos University, C Atenas s n, E 28922 Alcorcón, Madrid, Spain
Environ Int 36:195-201. 2010..We conclude that the origin of pharmaceutical pollution in the rivers of Madrid is mainly the discharge of sewage treatment plants in Madrid's metropolitan area and a comprehensive monitoring program should be implemented...
- Clinical significance of pharmacokinetic interactions between antiepileptic and psychotropic drugsEdoardo Spina
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Epilepsia 43:37-44. 2002..Conversely, new AEDs appear to have a lower potential for interactions with all psychotropic drugs. While antipsychotics and anxiolytics do not significantly influence the pharmacokinetics of most AEDs, some ..
- QTc prolongation by psychotropic drugs and the risk of Torsade de PointesKatharina Wenzel-Seifert
Klinische Pharmakologie, Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie, Psychosomatik und Psychotherapie der Universität Regensburg, Universitätstr 84, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Dtsch Arztebl Int 108:687-93. 2011Many psychotropic drugs can delay cardiac repolarization and thereby prolong the rate-corrected QT interval (QTc)...
- Adverse endocrine and metabolic effects of psychotropic drugs: selective clinical reviewChaya G Bhuvaneswar
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, 3535 Market Street, 2nd Floor, Outpatient Clinic of Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
CNS Drugs 23:1003-21. 2009..They encourage continued critical assessment of benefits versus risks of psychotropic drugs and underscore the importance of close coordination of psychiatric and general medical care to improve long-..
- Mental distress and subsequent use of psychotropic drugs among adolescents-a prospective register linkage studyAnne Kjersti Myhrene Steffenak
Hedmark University College, Elverum, Norway
J Adolesc Health 50:578-87. 2012To investigate the association between mental distress, other factors, and subsequent use of psychotropic drugs in adolescents aged 15-16 years.
- Prescribing potentially inappropriate psychotropic medications to the ambulatory elderlyJ R Mort
College of Pharmacy South Dakota State University, 1011 11th St, Rapid City, SD 57701, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:2825-31. 2000..This study used the revised criteria in ambulatory settings to quantify potentially inappropriate prescription of psychotropic agents and identify associated characteristics...
- Clinically significant psychotropic drug-drug interactions in the primary care settingBrett A English
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 8300, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 14:376-90. 2012..Increased awareness of clinically relevant psychotropic drug interactions can aid clinicians to achieve optimal therapeutic outcomes in patients in the primary care setting...
- Pharmacokinetic properties of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in oral fluid of occasional and chronic usersStefan W Toennes
Institute of Forensic Toxicology, University of Frankfurt, Kennedyallee 104, D 60596 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Anal Toxicol 34:216-21. 2010..5) with no difference between chronic and occasional users. The large inter- and intraindividual variability observed precludes a reliable estimation of THC serum concentrations from oral fluid data using this collection device...
- Mechanisms of cellular distribution of psychotropic drugs. Significance for drug action and interactionsWładysława A Daniel
Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Pharmacology, 12 Smetna Street, 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27:65-73. 2003..Lysosomal trapping is an important mechanism of distribution of basic psychotropic drugs; however, the tissue distribution of the aliphatic-type phenothiazine neuroleptic promazine, tricyclic ..
- Perceived anxiety, depression, and sleeping problems in relation to psychotropic drug use among elderly in assisted-living facilitiesIng Britt Holmquist
Department of Nursing, Lund University, Sweden
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 61:215-24. 2005....
- Organisational downsizing and increased use of psychotropic drugs among employees who remain in employmentMika Kivimaki
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:154-8. 2007..The authors examined whether working in downsizing organisations predicts use of psychotropic drugs among employees who remain in employment.
- Primary care services for depression in Harare, ZimbabweMelanie Abas
Sections of Old Age, Institute of Psychiatry, London
Harv Rev Psychiatry 11:157-65. 2003
- Quality of life for people with dementia living in residential and nursing home care: the impact of performance on activities of daily living, behavioral and psychological symptoms, language skills, and psychotropic drugsC Ballard
Institute for the Health of the Elderly, Wolfson Research Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 13:93-106. 2001..in six facilities received a standardized assessment (Neuropsychiatric Inventory [NPI], Barthel Scale, psychotropic drugs)...
- Prescribing psychoactive medications in nursing homes: current practice in SingaporeK Mamun
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Changi General Hospital CGH, 2 Simei Street 3, Singapore 529889
Singapore Med J 44:625-9. 2003..To assess the prescribing practice, use and potential adverse effects of psychoactive medications in Singapore nursing homes...
- The influence of psychotropic drugs and releasing hormones on anterior pituitary hormone secretion in healthy subjects and depressed patientsG Laakmann
Psychiatrische Klinik, , FRG
Pharmacopsychiatry 23:18-26. 1990Pharmacoendocrinological studies have shown that psychotropic drugs with different actions have different effects on anterior pituitary hormone secretion in man...
- Rhabdomyolysis induced by psychotropic drugsHayato Kaida
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume City, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 30:569-70. 2005..He had taken many psychotropic drugs as treatment for schizophrenia and was very dehydrated...
- Transient ST segment elevation in right precordial leads induced by psychotropic drugs: relationship to the Brugada syndromeF Rouleau
, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire d'Angers, France
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 12:61-5. 2001b>Psychotropic Drugs and ST Segment Elevation. Transient ST segment elevation in right precordial leads with use of psychotropic drugs is reported in two cases of overdose and one case of therapeutic administration...
- Weight gain associated with psychotropic drugsP S Masand
State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Department of Psychiatry, 750 E Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 1:377-89. 2000Weight gain is a common adverse effect of psychotropic drugs. Clinically significant weight gain puts the patient at risk for coronary heart disease, hypertension, Type II diabetes, dyslipidaemia and cancer, and can lead to non-compliance,..
- Psychotropic drugs in Bulgaria-frequency and risk of adverse drug reactionsZ Dimitrova
Department of Social Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University Sofia BG 1000, Sofia, 2 Dunav St, Bulgaria
Boll Chim Farm 141:75-9. 2002..to determine the frequency and risk of appearance of adverse drug reactions/ADRs/during the treatment with psychotropic drugs. The first part of the study is an analysis of the use of the psychotropic drugs for one-year period of time ..
- Cytochrome P450 2D6 genotyping: potential role in improving treatment outcomes in psychiatric disordersJulia Kirchheiner
Institute of Pharmacology of Natural Products and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
CNS Drugs 23:181-91. 2009..However, routine application of pharmacogenetic dose adjustment in clinical practice requires prospective validation...
- Prevalence and correlates of psychotropic drug use in Dutch nursing-home patients with dementiaRenate M Nijk
Center for Family Medicine, Geriatric Care and Public Health, Radboud University Nijmegen, Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 21:485-93. 2009Neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia patients are common and are often treated with psychotropic drugs. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and correlates of psychotropic drug use in Dutch nursing home patients with ..
- Let's get physicalTimothy Wand
Emergency Department, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 17:363-9. 2008..The authors argue that mental health nurses must play an active role in health promotion, primary prevention, and the early detection and management of physical health problems in all areas of clinical practice...
- Designer drugs in the general hospitalPhilip A Bialer
Division of Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 25:231-43. 2002..Finally, awareness of a severe withdrawal syndrome from GHB and its precursors is particularly important to psychiatrists of the medically ill, who may be called on to help in the management of these patients...
- Assay of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in oral fluid-evaluation of the OraSure oral specimen collection deviceGerold F Kauert
Institute of Forensic Toxicology, University of Frankfurt, Kennedyallee 104, D 60596 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Anal Toxicol 30:274-7. 2006..1%. From these results it can be concluded that the OraSure OSCD is useful to collect oral fluid for reliable quantitative THC assay applying a modified elution procedure and gravimetric determination of the amount of oral fluid...
- [Ethical implications of placebo-controlled clinical trials for psychotropic drugs]H Helmchen
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Freie Universitat Berlin
Nervenarzt 76:1319-29. 2005..It is concluded that pure placebo-controlled clinical trials of new psychotropic drugs may be acceptable in minor psychic disorders, but in general -- at least in a pure form -- not in major ..
- Biomarkers in psychotropic drug development: integration of data across multiple domainsPeter R Bieck
Eli Lilly and Company, Neuroscience Therapeutic Area, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 45:227-46. 2005..Proteomic research using CSF will hopefully have a major impact on the development of treatments for psychiatric disorders...
- Therapeutic drug monitoring in neuropsychopharmacology: does it hold its promises?Christoph Hiemke
Department of Psychiatry, University of Mainz, Untere Zahlbacher Str 8, Mainz, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 258:21-7. 2008..For psychoactive drugs, animal studies have shown that plasma concentrations of psychotropic drugs correlate well with concentrations in the target organ, the brain...
- Prevalence of psychotropic drug use in nursing homes for the aged in Quebec and in the French-speaking area of SwitzerlandMicheline Gobert
Unité des Sciences Hospitalières HOSP, School of Public Health, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:712-21. 2005The use of psychotropic drugs is high in institutionalised elderly, which raises the question of its appropriateness...
- [Chronic psychotropic drugs use in the Canadian labor force: what are the contributions of occupation and work organization conditions?]A Marchand
Ecole de relations industrielles, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7 Canada
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 58:89-99. 2010This study aims to better understand the contributions of occupation and work organization conditions to the development of chronic psychotropic drugs use among workers in Canada.
- Pharmacological models in healthy volunteers: their use in the clinical development of psychotropic drugsChristian Gilles
Centre Hospitalier De L ardenne, Sainte Ode, Belgium
J Psychopharmacol 21:272-82. 2007..Their use as industrial tools for drug evaluation requires specific, dedicated development...
- Why people do not take their psychotropic drugs as prescribed: results of the 2000 National Psychiatric Morbidity SurveyC Cooper
UCL, Department of Mental Health Sciences, London, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 116:47-53. 2007..We examined the prevalence and determinants of the reasons given for non-adherence to psychiatric medication in a representative community survey...
- The emerging role of pharmacogenetics: implications for clinical psychiatryChee Hong Ng
The Melbourne Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:483-9. 2004..This article aims to review the implications of pharmacogenetics for clinical psychiatry; these are discussed in the context of environmental and sociocultural factors...
- Psychotropic drugs use and risk of heat-related hospitalisationKarin Martin-Latry
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, France
Eur Psychiatry 22:335-8. 2007To assess if use of psychotropic drugs is associated with an increased risk of admission for heat-related pathologies during a heat wave period.
- A community based study of patterns of psychoactive substance use among street children in a local government area of NigeriaJide Morakinyo
Department of Psychiatry, University College Hospital, Oyo State, Ibadan, Nigeria
Drug Alcohol Depend 71:109-16. 2003..At present, there is insufficient information regarding the pattern of psychoactive substance use among this group of children in Nigeria...
- Cardiac effects of psychotropic drugsS A Chong
Woodbridge Hospital and Institute of Mental Health, 10 Buangkok View, Singapore 539747
Ann Acad Med Singapore 30:625-31. 2001..Sudden death has been associated with certain psychotropic drugs and the underlying cause(s) have been suggested to be some adverse cardiac complications...
- Selective regulation of presynaptic calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II by psychotropic drugsElisa Celano
Center of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy
Biol Psychiatry 53:442-9. 2003....
- Effects of psychotropic drugs on seizure thresholdFrancesco Pisani
Department of Neurosciences and of Psychiatric and Anaesthesiological Sciences, First Neurological Clinic, The University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Drug Saf 25:91-110. 2002b>Psychotropic drugs, especially antidepressants and antipsychotics, may give rise to some concern in clinical practice because of their known ability to reduce seizure threshold and to provoke epileptic seizures...
- Hepatotoxicity of commonly used drugs: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antihypertensives, antidiabetic agents, anticonvulsants, lipid-lowering agents, psychotropic drugsShivakumar Chitturi
Storr Liver Unit, Westmead Millennium Institute, University of Sydney at Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW, Australia
Semin Liver Dis 22:169-83. 2002..Well-known causes of liver injury such as chlorpromazine, phenytoin, and methyldopa are not discussed...
- Restraint use among nursing home residents: cross-sectional study and prospective cohort studyGabriele Meyer
Unit of Health Sciences and Education, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Nurs 18:981-90. 2009....
- [Cognition on demand?--The wish for cognition-enhancing drugs in medicine]Matthis Synofzik
Institute fur Ethik und Geschichte in der Medizin, Schleichstrabe 8, 72074 Tubingen, Germany
Ethik Med 18:37-50. 2006..These offers seem to meet the wishes and needs of people striving for enhancement of their mental capacities. How should medicine deal with these wishes? And, especially, what criteria might serve a physician's decision-making?..
- NEUROCHEMICAL ACTIONS OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGSSolomon H Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2010..grant has supported our research on fundamental neurochemical mechanisms which may underlie the actions of psychotropic drugs. In recent years we have characterized novel neurotransmitters such as nitric oxide and D-serine, areas ..
- Endocannabinoid DiscriminationJenny L Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- EFFECT OF MARIJUANA ON MACROPHAGE ANTIGEN PRESENTATIONGuy Cabral; Fiscal Year: 1993..The effect of THC on the secretion of the co-stimulatory signal interleukin-1, requisite for replication of T-helper cells in addition to antigen receptor occupancy, will be established using C3H/HeJ mouse thymocyte proliferation...
- Immune Tolerance; Sigma Receptor as a Therapeutic TargetVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- LICIT AND ILLICIT ABUSED DRUGS/BEHAVIORAL INTERACTIONROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition to providing new information about determinants of two licit forms of drug taking behavior which produce significant health risk, these studies will provide an improved understanding of the nature of the addictive process...
- AFFINITY LABELS FOR INOSITOL POLYPHOSPHATE RECEPTORSGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 1999..The affinity reagents and the binding domain data obtained from these reagents will be important in defining the mechanisms of these ubiquitous and varied molecular switches. ..
- Maternal Viral Infection and Fetal Brain DevelopmentPaul Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also use cytokine injections of non-infected mothers to help identify cytokines that may mediate the effects of maternal viral infection. ..
- Trafficking and Regulation of Monoamine TransportersHALEY MELIKIAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Trafficking and Regulation of Monoamine TransportersHaley E Melikian; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PET IMAGING OF SEROTONIN TRANSPORTERS IN THE BRAINHank F Kung; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed tracers for imaging SERT can be prepared by regional radiopharmacies and distributed within any major metropolitan area benefiting a large number of patients undergoing antidepressant treatment. ..
- PROBLEM DRINKING IN WOMEN--A 20-YEAR NATIONAL STUDYSharon Wilsnack; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DISCRIMINATIVE EFFECTS OF BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWALCHARLES FRANCE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Collectively, these studies will provide fundamentally new information on the in vivo pharmacology of GABAA modulators and will help to identify the pharmacologic and behavioral determinants of physical dependence on sedative hypnotics. ..
- Periadolescent Methylphenidate exposure: Brain functionDiana Dow Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through these studies, a comprehensive pre-clinical evaluation of the effects of chronic methylphenidate on learning, behavior, brain function and molecular patterns will be completed. ..
- NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY OF ALTERED CONSCIOUSNESSReese Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies are multidisciplinary. They involve only human volunteers. The research will further understanding psychoactive drug use, health consequences and management. ..
- DRUGS, ALCOHOL AND DRIVING: PREVALENCE AND CRASH RISKM Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Chronic PCP Primate PFC Dopamine Deficit and SchizophreniaRobert Roth; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Impact of the Medicare Part D Benzodiazepine Exclusion on Managed Care PatientsSusan Ettner; Fiscal Year: 2007..especially if they are withdrawn abruptly from the medication or switched to less appropriate or efficacious psychotropic drugs. We examine the implications of the loss of BZD coverage resulting from the Medicare Part D exclusion using ..
- Pharmacogenetics in indolealkylamine metabolism and drug interactionsAiming Yu; Fiscal Year: 2007....