Summary: Agents that are administered in association with anesthetics to increase effectiveness, improve delivery, or decrease required dosage.
Publications151 found, 100 shown here
- Anesthetic management of a patient with stiff person syndromeNabil Elkassabany
Department of General Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
J Clin Anesth 18:218-20. 2006..The use of general anesthesia in patients with SPS carries the risk of postoperative hypotonia due to enhancement of gamma-aminobutyric acid action on synaptic transmission by drugs that have a gamma-aminobutyric acid agonistic action...
- Propofol attenuates ovalbumin-induced smooth muscle contraction of the sensitized rat trachea: inhibition of serotonergic and cholinergic signalingMasakazu Yamaguchi
Department of Anesthesiology, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
Anesth Analg 103:594-600. 2006..These results suggest that the mechanism involved in the attenuation by propofol of OA-induced contraction is inhibition of the actions of 5-HT. Propofol should be a useful anesthetic in patients with immunoglobulin E-related asthma...
- The effect of Pencan needle orientation on spinal anesthesia outcomesKenneth Wofford
Naval Hospital, Okinawa, Japan
AANA J 73:121-7. 2005..Patients in whom the lateral needle side port orientation was used for injection were discharged earlier and had fewer side effects. This could translate into significant savings, financially and in terms of staff requirements...
- Preprocedural fasting state and adverse events in children undergoing procedural sedation and analgesia in a pediatric emergency departmentDewesh Agrawal
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:636-46. 2003..We characterize the fasting status of patients receiving procedural sedation and analgesia in a pediatric ED and assess the relationship between fasting status and adverse events...
- When is a patient safe for discharge after procedural sedation? The timing of adverse effect events in 1367 pediatric procedural sedationsDavid H Newman
Department of Emergency Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, City, NY 10025, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:627-35. 2003..Because concern about delayed adverse effects commonly delays discharge after sedation, we attempted to establish the timing of adverse effects in our cohort of procedural sedations...
- Levobupivacaine and fentanyl for spinal anaesthesia: a randomized trialY Y Lee
Kwong Wah Hospital, Department of Anaesthesiology and Operating Theatre Services, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:899-903. 2005..Fentanyl has been used as an adjunct to racemic bupivacaine in spinal anaesthesia. At the time this study was designed, there was no published study on the intrathecal use of 0.5% levobupivacaine with fentanyl...
- Anesthesia for an adult with mucopolysaccharidosis IJohn L Ard
Department of Anesthesiology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:624-6. 2005..We describe the anesthetic management difficulties of a man with mucopolysaccharidosis I. We also briefly review the anesthesia literature related to this disease...
- Intrathecal fentanyl as adjunct to hyperbaric bupivacaine in spinal anesthesia for caesarean sectionFauzia Bano
Department of Anesthesiology, Surgical I.C.U and Pain Management, Dow University of Health Sciences and Civil Hospital, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 16:87-90. 2006..CONCLUSION: Addition of fentanyl to intrathecal bupivacaine results in faster onset with improved peri-operative anesthesia without increasing the side effects...
- Comparison of adjuvant anesthetics for propofol inductionHideaki Tsuchida
Department of Anesthesiology, Kanazawa Medical University, 1-1 Daigaku, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920-0293, Japan
J Anesth 17:154-60. 2003....
- Comparison of the effects of two intrathecal anaesthetic techniques for transurethral prostatectomy on haemodynamic and pulmonary functionK H Walsh
Cork University Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:560-4. 2003....
- [Anesthesia in a patient with acute strangulation of a massive diaphragmatic hernia]E M Pastor Tomás
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 50:210-2. 2003
- Intrathecal fentanyl added to intrathecal bupivacaine for day case surgery: a randomized studyS Goel
Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Chandigarh, India
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:294-7. 2003..5 or 10 microg. Haemodynamic stability was the same for all dose combinations used...
- Technique in questionJ Kelley Avery
State Volunteer Mutual Insurance Company, Brentwood, TN, USA
J Ark Med Soc 102:238-9. 2006
- The effect of intrathecal epinephrine on epidural infused analgesics during laborToshiyuki Okutomi
Departments of Anesthesiology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Reg Anesth Pain Med 28:108-12. 2003..In this study, we tested the hypothesis that the addition of intrathecal epinephrine would lessen the requirement for a rescue dose of epidural analgesia during labor...
- Total intravenous anaesthesia in horses using medetomidine and propofolRegula Bettschart-Wolfensberger
Equine Clinic, Vetsuisse Faculty University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Anaesth Analg 32:348-54. 2005..To examine the clinical suitability of medetomidine-propofol infusions for total intravenous anaesthesia in horses...
- What is the driving performance of ambulatory surgical patients after general anesthesia?Frances Chung
Department of Anesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 103:951-6. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine whether impaired driver alertness had been restored to normal by 2 and 24 h after general anesthesia in patients who underwent ambulatory surgery...
- In vitro effects of intravenous anesthetics on the sphincter of Oddi strips of sheepMustafa Turan
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Pancreatology 5:215-9. 2005..This study was designed to investigate the direct effects of some intravenous anesthetics on SO in sheep...
- An anaesthetic protocol in the young domestic pig allowing neuromuscular blockade for studies of cardiac function following cardioplegic arrest and cardiopulmonary bypassT Fanneløp
Surgical Research Laboratory, Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:1144-54. 2004..Documentation is difficult to obtain from the scientific literature. When focusing on cardiac function over time, in particular, the ideal anaesthetic protocol should cause no or minor alterations in cardiac variables...
- The effects of two different anaesthesia techniques on bispectral index values and awareness during off-pump coronary artery bypass graftingAzize Bestas
Department of Anaesthesiology, Firat University School of Medicine, Elazig, Turkey
J Clin Monit Comput 18:347-51. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate Bispectral Index values and awareness during two different anaesthesia regimens (fentanyl-propofol and fentanyl-midazolam) in patients undergoing off-pump CABG surgery...
- Safety and efficacy of analgesia-based sedation with remifentanil versus standard hypnotic-based regimens in intensive care unit patients with brain injuries: a randomised, controlled trial [ISRCTN50308308]Andreas Karabinis
Genimatas General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Crit Care 8:R268-80. 2004..This randomised, open-label, observational, multicentre, parallel group study assessed the safety and efficacy of analgesia-based sedation using remifentanil in the neuro-intensive care unit...
- Does the use of fentanyl in epidural solutions for postthoracotomy pain management in neonates affect surgical outcome?Phillip D Bailey
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, The University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Pediatr Surg 40:1118-21. 2005..1% and bupivacaine 0.1% with fentanyl 2 to 5 microg/mL...
- Developing and establishing an ideal method of continuous-infusion epidural analgesia for delivery using the double-catheter methodHidehiro Makino
Makino Clinic, Japan
Tokai J Exp Clin Med 29:79-90. 2004..The mean number of additional drug doses injected via the lower catheter was 0.37+/-0.57(range: 0-2). The number of additional doses in the 49 women averaged 0.16 per hour and 1.04 per delivery. Thus, good results were obtained...
- [Fentanyl or remifentanil to potentiate a single dose of rocuronium in patients anesthetized with propofol with evaluation by accelerometry]T A Ferreira
, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Juan Canalejo,
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 51:190-4. 2004..The surgical and intubation conditions achieved with both combinations are adequate and similar...
- [Patients with ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency. Anaesthesiological and intensive care management]J Schmidt
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, FAU, Erlangen Nurnberg, Krankenhausstrasse 12, 91054 Erlangen
Anaesthesist 54:1201-8. 2005....
- Propofol versus midazolam/fentanyl for outpatient colonoscopy: administration by nurses supervised by endoscopistsBrian J Ulmer
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 1:425-32. 2003..3 vs. 9.4, P>0.5). CONCLUSIONS: Nurse-administered propofol resulted in several advantages for outpatient colonoscopy compared with midazolam plus fentanyl, but did not improve patient satisfaction...
- Propofol for procedural sedation in children in the emergency departmentKathlene E Bassett
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Primary Children s Medical Center, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City 84102, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:773-82. 2003..We determine the safety and efficacy of propofol sedation for painful procedures in the emergency department (ED)...
- The effect of right versus left lateral decubitus positions on induction of spinal anesthesia for cesarean deliveryAlice C S Law
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Anesth Analg 97:1795-9. 2003..There was a faster onset in the left lateral group; however, the maximum block heights and the time taken to achieve them were similar in both groups...
- [Spinal anaesthesia for Caesarean section: dose injection speed have an effect on the incidence of hypotension?]M Bouchnak
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, centre de maternité et de néonatologie de Tunis, rue Jabel Lakhdar, 1007 La Rabta, Tunis, Tunisie
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 25:17-9. 2006..To study effect of injection rate on spinal blockade and haemodynamic of spinal bupivacaine for Caesarean section...
- Anesthesiologist-controlled versus patient-controlled propofol sedation for shockwave lithotripsyJamal A Alhashemi
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, P O Box 31648, Jeddah 21418, Saudi Arabia
Can J Anaesth 53:449-55. 2006..To compare anesthesiologist-controlled sedation (ACS) with patient-controlled sedation (PCS), with respect to propofol requirements, sedation, and recovery, in patients undergoing extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy for urinary calculi...
- Comparison of four strategies to reduce the pain associated with intravenous administration of rocuroniumA B Chiarella
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, 3B2 32 Walter C Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, University of Alberta Hospitals, 8440 112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2B7
Br J Anaesth 90:377-9. 2003..I.V. rocuronium produces intense discomfort at the site of injection in conscious patients. Four strategies to reduce or prevent this discomfort were studied...
- [Anesthesia for a patient with mitochondrial respiratory chain complex III deficiency]J R Ortiz-Gómez
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital Garcia Orcoyen, C Santa Soria, 22, 31200 Estella, Navarra
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 53:575-9. 2006....
- How deep should "deep sedation" be?Leonard B Weinstock
Am J Gastroenterol 102:906-7; author reply 907-8. 2007
- [Comparison between fentanyl and ketamine as adjuvants of bupivacaine in spinal anaesthesia]R Atangana
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:815-6. 2007
- Peribulbar anesthesia for blepharoplastySergio Lessa
Oculo Plastic Surgery, 1st Infirmary of Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro, Oculo Plastic Surgery, 38th Infirmary of Santa Casa de Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro Catholic, University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Aesthetic Plast Surg 31:463-6; discussion 467. 2007..Peribulbar anesthesia for inferior blepharoplasty was used successfully in 788 selected cases over the past 9 years. This technique is largely accepted for ophthalmologic procedures, but is not yet specifically used for blepharoplasty...
- Midazolam and pethidine versus propofol and fentanyl patient controlled sedation/analgesia for upper gastrointestinal tract ultrasound endoscopy: a prospective randomized controlled trialM Agostoni
Department of Anaesthesiology, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Vita Salute University of Milano, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:1024-9. 2007..Our primary end-points were patient satisfaction and patient cooperation assessed by endoscopist...
- Midazolam reduces the dose of propofol required for induction of anaesthesia and laryngeal mask airway insertionP S Gill
Department of Anaesthesia, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK
Eur J Anaesthesiol 18:166-70. 2001..002 (chi(2)). CONCLUSIONS: Midazolam reduces the dose of propofol required for induction of anaesthesia and successful insertion of the laryngeal mask airway. There was no clinical benefit to be gained from the addition of lidocaine...
- A randomized comparison of levobupivacaine, bupivacaine and ropivacaine with fentanyl, for labor analgesiaM C Atienzar
Department of Anesthesia, Hospital General Castellon, Castellon, Spain
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:106-11. 2008..To compare the analgesic efficacy of epidural infusions of levobupivacaine, bupivacaine and ropivacaine in labor...
- Comparative analysis of costs of total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol and remifentanil vs. balanced anaesthesia with isoflurane and fentanylJ Epple
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 18:20-8. 2001..CONCLUSION: We conclude that propofol and remifentanil is more cost-effective than isoflurane/fentanyl due to its better recovery profile, reduced total direct costs and higher patient satisfaction...
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy under spinal anesthesiaYunus Nadi Yuksek
4th Department of Surgery, Ankara Numune Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Surg 195:533-6. 2008..There are limited data about LC under spinal anesthesia. This study was designed to evaluate LC under spinal anesthesia...
- Combined monitored anesthesia care and femoral nerve block for muscle biopsy in children with myopathiesManikandan Sethuraman
Paediatr Anaesth 18:691. 2008
- [Caudal anesthesia in pediatric surgery]G S Aprodu
Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi, Facultatea de Medicina, Spitalul clinic Sf Maria Iaşi, Clinica de Chirurgie şi Ortopedie Pediatrică
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 112:142-7. 2008..The study analyses the efficacy and the safety of caudal anesthesia for the intra and postoperative pain management in children...
- Patient-controlled sedation for colonoscopy: a randomized trial comparing patient-controlled administration of propofol and alfentanil with physician-administered midazolam and pethidineE Bright
Dept. of Anaesthetics, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Endoscopy 35:683-7. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: PCS provides an acceptable alternative to sedation with midazolam and pethidine with the advantage of significantly faster recovery times, which are of relevance in the outpatient setting...
- Influence of pain treatment by epidural fentanyl and bupivacaine on homing of opioid-containing leukocytes to surgical woundsMartin Heurich
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
Brain Behav Immun 21:544-52. 2007..These findings suggest that nociceptive but not sympathetic neurons are primarily involved in the attraction of opioid-containing leukocytes during early stages of inflammation...
- Intrathecal sufentanil (1.5 microg) added to hyperbaric bupivacaine (0.5%) for elective cesarean section provides adequate analgesia without need for pruritus therapyYavuz Demiraran
Department of Anaesthesia, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Duzce School of Medicine, Duzce, Turkey
J Anesth 20:274-8. 2006..In addition, the incidence of pruritus was significantly lower in the 1.5-microg sufentanil group when compared with that in the 2.5- and 5-microg groups...
- Comparison of fentanyl-bupivacaine or midazolam-bupivacaine mixtures with plain bupivacaine for caudal anaesthesia in childrenSibel Baris
Departments of Anaesthesiology and Paediatric Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ondokuz Mayis University, Kurupelit, Samsun, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 13:126-31. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the intensity and effectiveness of 0.75 ml.kg-1 bupivacaine 0.25% with the addition of fentanyl or midazolam for caudal block in children undergoing inguinal herniorrhaphy...
- Unintended subdural injection: a complication of epidural anesthesia--a case reportAdrian Kalil
Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Portland, Ore, USA
AANA J 74:207-11. 2006..The following case and discussion may help illustrate the mechanism behind this complication and how it can be detected, treated, and, possibly, avoided...
- Combined spinal and epidural anaesthesia in elderly patientsN Tahtaci
Department of Anaesthesia, Gaziantep University, School of Medicine, Gaziantep, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 56:655-8. 2002..In conclusion, simultaneous combination of subarachnoid and epidural blockade may provide sufficient anaesthesia with fewer complications...
- Intrathecal fentanyl/meperidine combined with low-dose epidural bupivacaine for Cesarean section in a patient with advanced Krukenberg tumorsT Okutomi
Departments of Anesthesiology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:1272-5. 2002....
- Is depth of anesthesia, as assessed by the Bispectral Index, related to postoperative cognitive dysfunction and recovery?Ehab Farag
Department of General Anesthesiology and Outcomes Research, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Anesth Analg 103:633-40. 2006..Somewhat deeper levels of anesthesia were therefore associated with better cognitive function 4-6 wk postoperatively, particularly with respect to the ability to process information...
- The effects of general anesthetics on norepinephrine release from isolated rat cortical nerve terminalsVictor N Pashkov
Departments of Anesthesiology and Pharmacology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1274-81, table of contents. 2002....
- Some clinical effects of midazolam premedication in propofol-induced and isoflurane-maintained anaesthesia in dogs during ovariohysterectomyG F Stegmann
Department of Companion Animal Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Onderstepoort, South Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 72:214-6. 2001..Compared to the control group, the dose required to obtain loss of the pedal reflex was significantly reduced by 37%, and the end-tidal isoflurane concentration during maintenance, reduced by 23%...
- The persisting analgesic effect of low-dose intravenous ketamine after spinal anaesthesia for caesarean sectionS Sen
Adnan Menderes University, Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Aydin, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:518-23. 2005..To compare the analgesic effects of intrathecal fentanyl and low-dose intravenous ketamine as adjuvants to intrathecal bupivacaine for Caesarean section...
- Airway management in spontaneously breathing anaesthetized children: comparison of the Laryngeal Mask Airway with the cuffed oropharyngeal airwayBiruta Mamaya
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimatology, Latvian Medical Academy, Riga, Latvia
Paediatr Anaesth 12:411-5. 2002..The efficacy and safety of the smallest size of the cuffed oropharyngeal airway (COPA) for school age, spontaneously breathing children was investigated and compared with the Laryngeal Mask Airway (LMA)...
- Propofol alone titrated to deep sedation versus propofol in combination with opioids and/or benzodiazepines and titrated to moderate sedation for colonoscopyMegan E VanNatta
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2209-17. 2006....
- Bispectral index guided timing of intubation without neuromuscular blockade during sevoflurane induction of anaesthesia in adultsR M van Twest
Anaesthetics Department, Gold Coast Hospital, Southport, Queensland, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:606-12. 2006..A target BIS value of 25 provides good to excellent intubating conditions and better intubating conditions than a target BIS of 40 during sevoflurane induction of anaesthesia without the use of neuromuscular blocking agents...
- Effects of adding midazolam on the postoperative epidural analgesia with two different doses of bupivacaineTomoki Nishiyama
Surgical Center, The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Anesth 14:92-7. 2002..To investigate the interaction of midazolam with different doses of bupivacaine, by comparing the analgesic, sedative, and amnesic effects of continuous epidural midazolam with two different doses of bupivacaine...
- Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory effects of ellagic acidStephanie Corbett
VA San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 25:214-20. 2010..01). Our findings suggest that ellagic acid may be effective against inflammation, may have a prolonged onset and duration of action, and may interact with known cyclooxygenase inhibitors...
- Intrathecal clonidine decreases propofol sedation requirements during spinal anesthesia in infantsYatindra K Batra
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Paediatr Anaesth 20:625-32. 2010..We studied the propofol requirement after intrathecal administration of clonidine or fentanyl in infants undergoing lower abdominal surgeries...
- The hypnotic and analgesic effects of 2-bromomelatoninMohamed Naguib
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Anesth Analg 97:763-8. 2003..This study provides evidence that 2-bromomelatonin has properties that are desirable in anesthetics or anesthetic adjuvants...
- Effect of dexmedetomidine on the characteristics of bupivacaine in a caudal block in pediatricsI Saadawy
Department of Anesthesia, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 53:251-6. 2009..This prospective randomized double-blinded study was designed to evaluate the analgesic efficacy of caudal DEX with bupivacaine in providing pain relief over a 24-h period...
- Optimizing dosage of ketamine and xylazine in murine echocardiographyQi Xu
Experimental Cardiology Laboratory, Baker Heart Research Institute and Alfred Heart Centre, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:499-507. 2007..Ketamine at 100 mg/kg alone produces acceptable anaesthesia, stable cardiac function with a minimal depressant effect and is therefore recommended if single-dose anaesthetic is to be used...
- Atropine: re-evaluating its use during paediatric RSIAlan Bean
Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center, Michigan, USA
Emerg Med J 24:361-2. 2007
- Effects of NMDA receptor antagonists on visceromotor reflexes and on intestinal motility, in vivoA D Shafton
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:617-24. 2007..8-2.4 mg kg h(-1)). Effects on motility reflexes are likely to be due to non-NMDA receptor actions, possibly on nicotinic receptors...
- [Prevention of "post-sevoflurane delirium" with midazolam]P J Kulka
Abteilung für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Oberhausen, EKO, Virchowstrasse 20, 46047 Oberhausen
Anaesthesist 50:401-5. 2001..Thus, the prophylactic administration of midazolam extenuates but does not solve the problem of post-sevoflurane agitation...
- Effects of diazepam and flumazenil on minimum alveolar concentrations for dogs anesthetized with isoflurane or a combination of isoflurane and fentanylP W Hellyer
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80526, USA
Am J Vet Res 62:555-60. 2001..Diazepam, but not flumazenil, further decreased isoflurane-fentanyl MAC. Our results indicate that diazepam enhances, whereas flumazenil does not affect, opioid-induced CNS depression and, possibly, analgesia in dogs...
- [Intrathecal fentanyl reduces the dose of propofol required for sedation during spinal anesthesia]V Contreras Dominguez
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Hospital Clinico Regional de Concepción, Chile
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 54:421-4. 2007..To assess the effects of 2 dosages of intrathecal fentanyl on the requirement for propofol infused intravenously for the sedation of patients under spinal anesthesia...
- Some cardiopulmonary effects of midazolam premedication in clenbuterol-treated bitches during surgical endoscopic examination of the uterus and ovariohysterectomyG F Stegmann
Department of Companion Animal Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Onderstepoort, South Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 72:33-6. 2001..Midazolam premedication may increase adverse respiratory effects when administered before propofol induction of anaesthesia...
- A comparison of fentanyl, sufentanil, and remifentanil for fast-track cardiac anesthesiaM Engoren
Department of Anesthesiology, St Vincent Mercy Medical Center, Toledo, Ohio 43608, USA
Anesth Analg 93:859-64. 2001....
- Anesthetic efficacy of lidocaine/meperidine for inferior alveolar nerve blocks in patients with irreversible pulpitisJason Bigby
Department of Endodontics, College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Endod 33:7-10. 2007....
- Inhibition of cardiac potassium currents by pentobarbitalAlexander Bachmann
Aventis Pharma, DG Cardiovascular Diseases, H821, 65926 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 365:29-37. 2002..26 mM (-40 mV) and 0.91 mM (-120 mV). The data show that pentobarbital suppresses both cloned ( I(K), I(Kir2.2)) and native ( I(K), I(K1)) cardiac potassium currents with the highest affinity for I(Ks)...
- Bispectral analysis during cardiopulmonary bypass: the effect of hypothermia on the hypnotic stateJ P Mathew
Division of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Anesth 13:301-5. 2001..To evaluate the hypothesis that the bispectral index (BIS) is not affected by the hypothermia that is associated with cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)...
- Anaesthesia for phaeochromocytoma removal in a 5-year-old boyP Matsota
Department of Anaesthesiology, Children's Hospital, P and A Kyriakou, Athens, Greece
Paediatr Anaesth 12:176-80. 2002..We discuss the clinical and laboratory characteristics of the case, the diagnostic approach, the preoperative and intraoperative management and the postoperative course...
- Oral midazolam with and without meperidine for management of the difficult young pediatric dental patient: a retrospective studyJohn E Nathan
Department of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School, USA
Pediatr Dent 24:129-38. 2002..The purpose of this retrospective study was to examine different dosages of midazolam used alone or in combination with different dosages of meperidine for managing difficult young pediatric dental patients...
- Repeat cesarean section in a morbidly obese parturient: a new anesthetic optionKrzysztof M Kuczkowski
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Diego, CA 92103 8770, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:753-4. 2002..We present a case of a morbidly obese parturient who underwent repeat cesarean section under CSEA conducted with the recently introduced (and commercially available) CSEA needle set, specifically designed for morbidly obese patients...
- A randomized, double-blinded trial of subarachnoid bupivacaine and fentanyl, with or without clonidine, for combined spinal/epidural analgesia during laborMichael J Paech
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, 374 Bagot Road, Subiaco 6008 WA, Australia
Anesth Analg 95:1396-401, table of contents. 2002..The addition of clonidine 15-45 micro g to subarachnoid fentanyl and bupivacaine reduced blood pressure and did not significantly increase the duration of spinal analgesia...
- Intrathecal diamorphine or intrathecal fentanyl to supplement spinal anaesthesia for Caesarean section?D W Cooper
Br J Anaesth 90:107; author reply 107. 2003
- Can analysis of the bispectral index prove helpful when monitoring titration of doses of midazolam and ketamine for sedation during paediatric cardiac catheterizationAyse Baysal
Dr Siyami Ersek Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Hospital, 45 ADA Mimoza 1a D 15, Atasehir, Istanbul, Turkey
Cardiol Young 18:51-7. 2008..The scores for the bispectral index may not reflect correct values in children, but may be helpful during titration of sedatives such as midazolam and ketamine...
- GHB: a new and novel drug of abuseK L Nicholson
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0613, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 63:1-22. 2001..Drug abuse experts need to familiarize themselves with GHB as possibly representing a new type of drug abuse problem with some unique properties...
- Autonomic regulation of insulin secretion is changed by pentobarbital in miceKung Shing Lee
Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, ROC
Neurosci Lett 479:6-9. 2010..This finding is suitable to explain the critical hypoglycemia was not observed in subjects received ginseng...
- Comparison of thiopental, urethane, and pentobarbital in the study of experimental cardiology in rats in vivoMichal Zorniak
Department of Pharmacology, Cardiovascular Research Division, Medical University of Silesia, Zabrze, Poland
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 56:38-44. 2010....
- [Advantages of unilateral spinal anaesthesia]Battista Borghi
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 45:182-7. 2010..In comparison to conventional technique it requires a bit longer preparation time, but provides less hemodynamic side effects with higher cardiovascular stability, increased autonomy after surgery and better patient acceptance...
- Intrathecal sufentanil decreases the median effective dose (ED50) of intrathecal hyperbaric ropivacaine for caesarean deliveryX Chen
Department of Anaesthesia, Women s Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Zhejiang 310006, China
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 54:284-90. 2010....
- Intranasal flumazenil and naloxone to reverse over-sedation in a child undergoing dental restorationsChristopher Heard
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Women and Children s Hospital of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14222, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 19:795-7; discussion 798-9. 2009..Desaturation was attributed to laryngospasm, which was managed with positive pressure ventilation and oxygen. The sedation was reversed with a combination of IN flumazenil and naloxone...
- Local anaesthetic adjuvants: neuraxial versus peripheral nerve blockKjell Axelsson
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:649-54. 2009..To present a review of the literature on the importance and the clinical characteristics relevant to adjuvants added to local anaesthetics in neuraxial and peripheral nerve blocks...
- Anaesthesiological strategies in elective craniotomy: randomized, equivalence, open trial--the NeuroMorfeo trialGiuseppe Citerio
Neuroanaesthesia and Neurointensive Care Unit, Department of Perioperative Medicine and Intensive Care, San Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Milano, Italy
Trials 10:19. 2009..This trial, named NeuroMorfeo, aims to assess the equivalence between volatile and intravenous anaesthetics for neurosurgical procedures...
- Cerebral state index vs. bispectral index during sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anaesthesiaTomoki Nishiyama
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Anaesthesiol 26:638-42. 2009..The present study was performed to compare the BIS and CSI during sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anaesthesia...
- [Gamma-hydroxybutyrat (GHB)-dependence and -withdrawal in the case of previous alcohol dependence]Christoph Richter
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin
Psychiatr Prax 36:345-7. 2009..gamma-Hydroxybutyrat (GHB) is used medically for narcolepsy and as a narcotic. It is also a rare illegal drug. In this case report the development of a GHB-dependency against the background of a primary alcohol dependency is described...
- The effects of meperidine and epidural analgesia in labor on maternal heart rate variabilityA Weissman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Int J Obstet Anesth 18:118-24. 2009..The aim of our study was to assess the effects of these two methods of analgesia on autonomic nervous system modulation of maternal heart rate variability in laboring women...
- [Placental passage of anesthetics and adjuvants]C Lang
Klinik für Anästhesie und Intensivtherapie, Klinikum, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35033 Marburg
Anaesthesist 51:409-17. 2002....
- Effect of sublingual triazolam on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitisMatthew Lindemann
Private Practice Limited to Endodontics, Flint, Michigan, USA
J Endod 34:1167-70. 2008..Therefore, when using conscious sedation, profound local anesthesia is still required to eliminate the sensation of pain during endodontic treatment for patients with irreversible pulpitis...
- Intravenous clonidine decreases minimum end-tidal isoflurane for induction of electroencephalographic burst suppressionE K Entholzner
Institut für Anaesthesiologie, Universitat Munchen, Germany
Anesth Analg 85:193-8. 1997..A significant increase of delta activity was only found in the saline group. We conclude that the known minimum alveolar anesthetic concentration reduction of clonidine seems to be due to a direct cerebral action...
- The effects of nicardipine on dynamic cerebral autoregulation in patients anesthetized with propofol and fentanylH Endoh
Departments of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine and Anesthesiology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
Anesth Analg 91:642-6. 2000..1% +/- 3.6%/s at baseline to 8.3% +/- 2.6%/s during hypotension (P: < 0.01). During deliberate hypotension induced by nicardipine, the cerebral dynamic autoregulatory response is impaired in normal adult patients...
- Sedative and cardiorespiratory effects of acepromazine or atropine given before dexmedetomidine in dogsR K Alvaides
Departamento de Cirurgia e Anestesiologia Veterinária, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, CEP, Brazil
Vet Rec 162:852-6. 2008....
- Managing an acute pain crisis in a patient with advanced cancer: "this is as much of a crisis as a code"Natalie Moryl
JAMA 299:1457-67. 2008....
- A comparison of remifentanil and sufentanil as adjuvants during sevoflurane anesthesia with epidural analgesia for upper abdominal surgery: effects on postoperative recovery and respiratory functionA Casati
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Milan, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Anesth Analg 91:1269-73. 2000..We demonstrated that remifentanil is as effective as sufentanil during the intraoperative period, but that it provides shorter time to extubation and fewer effects on postoperative SpO(2) in the first 7 h after surgery...
- Gamma-hydroxybutyrate--a drug of abuseK R Drasbek
Institute of Physiology and Biophysics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Neurol Scand 114:145-56. 2006..In addition, we discuss the latest discoveries in the quest for distinct GHB receptors in the brain, and their possible implications for future therapies of GHB abuse...
- Central anticholinergic syndrome strikes againShaul Cohen
J Clin Anesth 18:399-400. 2006
- General anesthesia for a patient with alternating hemiplegia of childhoodRina Mehrotra
Can J Anaesth 52:1103-4. 2005
- Thoracic epidural anesthesia as a bridge to redo coronary artery bypass graft surgeryErminio Sisillo
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, IRCCS Centro Cardiologico Monzino, Milan, Italy
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 17:629-31. 2003
- [Metoclopramide and dexamethasone in prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting after inhalational anaesthesia]J Wallenborn
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Universitat Leipzig
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 38:695-704. 2003....
- [Midazolam mixture for sedation of children]Per Løkken
Seksjon for odontologisk farmakologi og farmakoterapi, Universitetet i Oslo, Postboks 1057 Blindern, 0316 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 123:3054-5. 2003
- Missed Opportunities for Diagnosis of Child MaltreatmentELISABETH GUENTHER SKOKAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- Microarray analysis of neuronal ischemic preconditioningPiyush Patel; Fiscal Year: 2007..A substantial benefit of the research will be the identification of novel therapeutic targets upon which future drug development can be based. ..
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND RESPIRATORY NEUROTRANSMISSIONEckehard Stuth; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Impact of CPAP on Functional Outcomes in Milder OSATerri Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..Secondary aims of the study are: 1) to examine whether CPAP also improves daytime sleepiness; 2) to determine whether CPAP can reduce nocturnal blood pressure to lower the risk for stroke and hypertension linked to OSA. ..
- Gender Influence in Mice with Myocardial InfarctionXiao Ping Yang; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND RESPIRATORY NEUROTRANSMISSIONEckehard Stuth; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Physical Activity and Substance AbuseMark A Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will be the first systematic examination of the effects of exercise on a range of behavioral processes that are believed to be involved in the development of substance use disorders. ..
- Lidocaine for Neuroprotection During Cardiac SurgeryJoseph P Mathew; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of lidocaine therapy holds great promise for improving cognitive function and as a consequence, quality of life and functional independence for the large number of our increasingly elderly patients. ..
- Alternative Mechanisms of Adenosine Receptor ActivationHOLGER K K ELTZSCHIG; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Extracellular Adenosine During Ventilator Induced Lung InjuryHolger K Eltzschig; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: These studies will lay the groundwork for novel and specific therapeutic approaches in the treatment of acute lung injury. ..
- Neonatal Anesthetic NeurotoxicityPiyush M Patel; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research will attempt to characterize the mechanisms by which anesthetics injure the developing brain and the means by which this toxicity can be prevented or treated. ..
- Extracellular Adenosine During Ventilator Induced Lung InjuryHOLGER K K ELTZSCHIG; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: These studies will lay the groundwork for novel and specific therapeutic approaches in the treatment of acute lung injury. ..
- Extracellular Adenosine During Ventilator Induced Lung InjuryHolger K Eltzschig; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: These studies will lay the groundwork for novel and specific therapeutic approaches in the treatment of acute lung injury. ..
- Social and Enviromental Influences on Opioid SensitivityMark Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies should identify the critical biological, pharmacological and environmental factors contributing to differences in drug-seeking behavior across subject populations. ..
- ANESHETIC MODULATION OF NATIVE NICOTINIC RECEPTORSPamela Flood; Fiscal Year: 2003..The resulting information will provide understanding of the molecular mechanism underlying one of the anesthetic effects that limit anesthetic safety. ..
- Cerebal Ischemia During Anesthesia and SurgeryPiyush Patel; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long term goals of the research are to prevent the occurrence of isehemic brain injury in patients undergoing anesthesia and surgery. ..
- TRAINING IN FUNCTIONAL IMAGING AND ALCOHOL WITHDRAWALDONALD MYRICK; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND RESPIRATORY NEUROTRANSMISSIONEckehard Stuth; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such mechanistic knowledge could also help in the design of safer anesthetic agents with the least deleterious effects on respiration. ..
- "Post-partum steroid withdrawal-induced depression"REBECCA CRAFT; Fiscal Year: 2006..Findings from the proposed model will enhance our understanding of the etiology of PPD and possibly lead to improved treatment options. ..