Genomes and Genes
hormonal antineoplastic agents
Summary: Antineoplastic agents that are used to treat hormone-sensitive tumors. Hormone-sensitive tumors may be hormone-dependent, hormone-responsive, or both. A hormone-dependent tumor regresses on removal of the hormonal stimulus, by surgery or pharmacological block. Hormone-responsive tumors may regress when pharmacologic amounts of hormones are administered regardless of whether previous signs of hormone sensitivity were observed. The major hormone-responsive cancers include carcinomas of the breast, prostate, and endometrium; lymphomas; and certain leukemias. (From AMA Drug Evaluations Annual 1994, p2079)
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- A multigene assay to predict recurrence of tamoxifen-treated, node-negative breast cancerSoonmyung Paik
Division of Pathology, Operation Center, and the Biostatistics Center, National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, Pittsburgh 15212, USA
N Engl J Med 351:2817-26. 2004..The likelihood of distant recurrence in patients with breast cancer who have no involved lymph nodes and estrogen-receptor-positive tumors is poorly defined by clinical and histopathological measures...
- Resistance training and reduction of treatment side effects in prostate cancer patientsDaniel A Galvão
School of Exercise, Biomedical and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:2045-52. 2006..To examine the effect of progressive resistance training on muscle function, functional performance, balance, body composition, and muscle thickness in men receiving androgen deprivation for prostate cancer...
- Androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancerNima Sharifi
Medical Oncology Clinical Research Unit, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
JAMA 294:238-44. 2005..The benefits of ADT in other settings need to be weighed carefully against substantial risks and adverse effects on quality of life...
- Nonadherence to adjuvant tamoxifen therapy in women with primary breast cancerAnn H Partridge
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, D1210, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:602-6. 2003..We sought to estimate adherence and predictors of nonadherence in women starting tamoxifen as adjuvant breast cancer therapy...
- Quantitative effect of CYP2D6 genotype and inhibitors on tamoxifen metabolism: implication for optimization of breast cancer treatmentSilvana Borges
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, 46202, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:61-74. 2006..We conducted a prospective trial in 158 patients with breast cancer who were taking tamoxifen to further understand the effect of CYP2D6 genotype and concomitant medications on endoxifen plasma concentrations...
- Patient beliefs and tamoxifen discontinuance in older women with estrogen receptor--positive breast cancerAliza K Fink
Boston Medical Center, 88 E Newton St, Robinson 2, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:3309-15. 2004..Interventions designed to educate women about the benefits and risks of tamoxifen therapy may help to reduce discontinuance...
- HER-2/neu and p53 expression versus tamoxifen resistance in estrogen receptor-positive, node-positive breast cancerD A Berry
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:3471-9. 2000..Tamoxifen assignment was not randomized-physician discretion was used for premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Trial protocol then specified assignment to postmenopausal women with ER-positive tumors, although not all took tamoxifen...
- Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years' adjuvant treatment for breast cancerA Howell
Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK
Lancet 365:60-2. 2005..Anastrozole should be the preferred initial treatment for postmenopausal women with localised hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer...
- Estrogen receptor status of primary breast cancer is predictive of estrogen receptor status of contralateral breast cancerSandra M Swain
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:516-23. 2004....
- Fulvestrant, formerly ICI 182,780, is as effective as anastrozole in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer progressing after prior endocrine treatmentA Howell
Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 20:3396-403. 2002..These data confirm that fulvestrant is an additional, effective, and well-tolerated treatment for advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women whose disease progressed on prior endocrine therapy...
- Single-therapy androgen suppression in men with advanced prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysisJ Seidenfeld
Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Technology Evaluation Center, Chicago, Illinois 60601 7680, USA
Ann Intern Med 132:566-77. 2000..To compare luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonists with orchiectomy or diethylstilbestrol, and to compare antiandrogens with any of these three alternatives...
- Bcar1/p130Cas protein and primary breast cancer: prognosis and response to tamoxifen treatmentS van der Flier
Department of Pathology Division of Molecular Biology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, University Hospital Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:120-7. 2000..To investigate its role in clinical breast cancer, we determined the levels of Bcar1/p130Cas protein in a large series of primary breast carcinomas...
- Association between CYP2D6 *10 genotype and survival of breast cancer patients receiving tamoxifen treatmentY Xu
Ann Oncol 19:1423-9. 2008..Human cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) genotype may affect the efficacy of tamoxifen treatment in Caucasian women with breast cancer. The most common polymorphism of CYP2D6 in Chinese women is variant 10 (188 C to T)...
- A comparison of letrozole and tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with early breast cancerBeat Thurlimann
Senology Center of Eastern Switzerland, Kantonsspital, St Gallen, and the Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 353:2747-57. 2005..We compared letrozole with tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for steroid-hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women...
- AKT activation predicts outcome in breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifenTove Kirkegaard
Endocrine Cancer Group, Division of Cancer Sciences and Molecular Pathology, Department of Surgery, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow G31 2ER, UK
J Pathol 207:139-46. 2005....
- A randomized trial of low-dose tamoxifen on breast cancer proliferation and blood estrogenic biomarkersAndrea Decensi
Division of Chemoprevention, European Institute of Oncology, and University of Milan School of Medicine, Milan, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:779-90. 2003....
- HER-2 amplification impedes the antiproliferative effects of hormone therapy in estrogen receptor-positive primary breast cancerM Dowsett
Breast Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 61:8452-8. 2001..This together with high baseline proliferation is likely to translate to poor clinical response...
- Prognostic and predictive value of centrally reviewed Ki-67 labeling index in postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive breast cancer: results from Breast International Group Trial 1-98 comparing adjuvant tamoxifen with letrozoleGiuseppe Viale
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, European Institute of Oncology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:5569-75. 2008..To evaluate the prognostic and predictive value of Ki-67 labeling index (LI) in a trial comparing letrozole (Let) with tamoxifen (Tam) as adjuvant therapy in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer...
- Tamoxifen in high-risk premenopausal women with primary breast cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. Report from the Danish Breast Cancer co-operative Group DBCG 82B TrialM Andersson
Department of Oncology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Cancer 35:1659-66. 1999..v., concurrent TAM for 1 year did not improve the outcome. These results do not exclude that receptor positive patients may benefit from adjuvant TAM for longer periods given sequentially to chemotherapy...
- National surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project update: prevention trials and endocrine therapy of ductal carcinoma in situVictor G Vogel
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3180, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:495S-501S. 2003..Outcomes will include both ipsilateral and contralateral new breast cancer and recurrences, as well as the occurrence of regional and distant disease. Enrollment will begin in early 2003...
- Her-2/neu overexpression and response to oophorectomy plus tamoxifen adjuvant therapy in estrogen receptor-positive premenopausal women with operable breast cancerRichard R Love
Departments of Medicine and Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53726, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:453-7. 2003....
- Switching to anastrozole versus continued tamoxifen treatment of early breast cancer: preliminary results of the Italian Tamoxifen Anastrozole TrialFrancesco Boccardo
National Cancer Research Institute, 16132 Genoa, Italy
J Clin Oncol 23:5138-47. 2005..Moreover, many women relapse during or after tamoxifen therapy because of the development of resistance. Therefore new approaches are required...
- Genotype of metabolic enzymes and the benefit of tamoxifen in postmenopausal breast cancer patientsPia Wegman
Department of Biomedicine and Surgery, Division of Cellbiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res 7:R284-90. 2005..We therefore investigated the genotypes of CYP2D6 and SULT1A1 in 226 breast cancer patients participating in a trial of adjuvant tamoxifen treatment in order to validate the benefit from the therapy...
- Association of oestrogen receptor beta 2 (ER beta 2/ER beta cx) with outcome of adjuvant endocrine treatment for primary breast cancer--a retrospective studyRaman Vinayagam
Clatterbridge Cancer Research Trust, J K Douglas Laboratories, Clatterbridge Hospital, Bebington, Wirral, Merseyside, UK
BMC Cancer 7:131. 2007..We therefore now assess ERbeta2 protein by immunostaining and mRNA by quantitative RT-PCR in relation to treatment outcome...
- Androgen deprivation therapy increases cardiovascular morbidity in men with prostate cancerChristopher S Saigal
Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Cancer 110:1493-500. 2007..In the current study, the authors attempted to measure the risk for subsequent cardiovascular morbidity in men with prostate cancer who received ADT...
- Radical prostatectomy versus watchful waiting in early prostate cancerAnna Bill-Axelson
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
N Engl J Med 352:1977-84. 2005..In 2002, we reported the initial results of a trial comparing radical prostatectomy with watchful waiting in the management of early prostate cancer. After three more years of follow-up, we report estimated 10-year results...
- Long-acting somatostatin analog therapy of acromegaly: a meta-analysisPamela U Freda
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4465-73. 2005..Although considerable data exist on the use of long-acting somatostatin analogs to treat acromegaly, their reported efficacy differs substantially among trials...
- Selective estrogen-receptor modulators and antihormonal resistance in breast cancerV Craig Jordan
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:5815-24. 2007..This will allow the precise treatment of diseases that was previously considered impossible...
- Androgen suppression adjuvant to definitive radiotherapy in prostate carcinoma--long-term results of phase III RTOG 85-31Miljenko V Pilepich
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:1285-90. 2005..Radiation Therapy Oncology Group protocol 85-31 was designed to evaluate the effectiveness of adjuvant androgen suppression, using goserelin, in unfavorable prognosis carcinoma of the prostate treated with definitive radiotherapy (RT)...
- Impact of metastatic estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor status on survivalElyse E Lower
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0562, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 90:65-70. 2005..The ER status of the metastatic lesion was a better predictor of survival. Therefore, optimal metastatic treatment cannot be determined solely on primary ER and PR analysis...
- Endocrine and immune responses to resistance training in prostate cancer patientsD A Galvão
Vario Health Institute, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia, Australia
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 11:160-5. 2008..05) following acute exercise. Resistance exercise does not appear to compromise testosterone suppression, and acute elevations in serum GH and DHEA may partly underlie improvements observed in physical function...
- Meeting highlights: international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer 2005A Goldhirsch
International Breast Cancer Study Group, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, Bellinzona, Switzerland
Ann Oncol 16:1569-83. 2005....
- Effect of leuprolide and cetrorelix on cell growth, apoptosis, and GnRH receptor expression in primary cell cultures from human prostate carcinomaEnrique Castellón
Physiology and Biophysics Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Cancer Invest 24:261-8. 2006..These differences with pituitary receptors may be explained by differences in affinity, transduction mechanism and molecular context in prostatic tissue...
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancerNancy L Keating
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4448-56. 2006..We assessed whether androgen deprivation therapy is associated with an increased incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular disease...
- Association between Pak1 expression and subcellular localization and tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer patientsCaroline Holm
Division of Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:671-80. 2006..Here we studied associations between Pak1 expression and subcellular localization in tumor cells and tamoxifen resistance...
- First-line octreotide-LAR therapy induces tumour shrinkage and controls hormone excess in patients with acromegaly: results from an open, prospective, multicentre trialAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II, University of Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 64:342-51. 2006..The majority of patients with acromegaly have large tumours and the outcome of conventional management remains poor...
- Quality of life in the intergroup exemestane study: a randomized trial of exemestane versus continued tamoxifen after 2 to 3 years of tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancerLesley J Fallowfield
Cancer Research UK Psychosocial Oncology Group, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Falmer, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 24:910-7. 2006..To compare and describe the quality of life (QOL) of women allocated to tamoxifen or exemestane within the Intergroup Exemestane Study (IES)...
- Epigenetic information and estrogen receptor alpha expression in breast cancerLaura Giacinti
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Center for Biotechnology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122-6009, USA
Oncologist 11:1-8. 2006..This paper reviews the current understanding of the role of epigenetic information in the development of cancer and its significance in breast cancer as predictive markers of ER status and as new targets of anticancer therapy...
- Adherence to tamoxifen over the five-year courseTimothy L Lash
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 99:215-20. 2006..To estimate the proportion of older women who fail to complete 5 years of tamoxifen therapy and to identify predictors of non-adherence...
- Fulvestrant (Faslodex) in advanced breast cancer: clinical experience from a Belgian cooperative studyPatrick Neven
Multidisciplinary Breast Centre and Gynaecological Oncology, UZ KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium
Breast Cancer Res Treat 109:59-65. 2008....
- Bidirectional cross talk between ERalpha and EGFR signalling pathways regulates tamoxifen-resistant growthD J Britton
Tenovus Centre for Cancer Research, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 96:131-46. 2006....
- Pathology parameters and adjuvant tamoxifen response in a randomised premenopausal breast cancer trialK Jirstrom
Division of Pathology Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, SE 205 02, Malmo, Sweden
J Clin Pathol 58:1135-42. 2005..These parameters are the net result of combinations of genetic alterations effecting tumour behaviour and could potentially reflect subtypes that respond differently to endocrine treatment...
- Biological characteristics of the pure antiestrogen fulvestrant: overcoming endocrine resistanceMitch Dowsett
Academic Department of Biochemistry, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 93:S11-8. 2005....
- Estradiol regulates different genes in human breast tumor xenografts compared with the identical cells in cultureDjuana M E Harvell
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center at Fitzsimons, Aurora, 80045, USA
Endocrinology 147:700-13. 2006..This indicates the extent to which gene expression profiles are uniquely dependent on hormone-treatment times and the cellular microenvironment...
- Aromatase inhibitors reverse tamoxifen induced endometrial ultrasonographic changes in postmenopausal breast cancer patientsO Markovitch
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Meir Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Kfar Saba 44281, Israel
Breast Cancer Res Treat 101:185-90. 2007..There is a necessity to find out if aromatase inhibitors can also decrease endometrial thickness in patients previously treated with long-term tamoxifen treatment...
- Association between CYP2D6 polymorphisms and outcomes among women with early stage breast cancer treated with tamoxifenWerner Schroth
Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Auerbachstrasse 112, 70376 Stuttgart, Germany
JAMA 302:1429-36. 2009..The formation of active metabolites is catalyzed by the polymorphic cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) enzyme...
- Benefit and projected cost-effectiveness of anastrozole versus tamoxifen as initial adjuvant therapy for patients with early-stage estrogen receptor-positive breast cancerBruce E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298, USA
Cancer 101:1311-22. 2004....
- Treatment of lymph-node-negative, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer: long-term findings from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project randomised clinical trialsBernard Fisher
Operations Center, National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Lancet 364:858-68. 2004..We present long-term findings from those trials and relate them to age, menopausal status, and tumour oestrogen-receptor concentrations. We also discuss the extent of progress made in the treatment of such patients...
- Extended adjuvant therapy with anastrozole among postmenopausal breast cancer patients: results from the randomized Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group Trial 6aRaimund Jakesz
Department of Surgery, Vienna Medical University, Vienna General Hospital, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, Vienna A 1090, Austria
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1845-53. 2007..We examined the efficacy and tolerability of extended adjuvant therapy with another aromatase inhibitor, anastrozole, for 3 years among women who had completed 5 years of adjuvant therapy...
- Oestrogen receptors alpha and beta show different associations to clinicopathological parameters and their co-expression might predict a better response to endocrine treatment in breast cancerS Borgquist
Division of Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine Malmö University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Clin Pathol 61:197-203. 2008..This study aimed to define the relationship between ERbeta and clinicopathological parameters in a mixed cohort of breast cancer and, furthermore, to investigate the impact of ERbeta expression on disease outcome...
- Letrozole inhibits tumor proliferation more effectively than tamoxifen independent of HER1/2 expression statusMatthew J Ellis
Duke University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Campus Box 8056, 660 South Euclid, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Cancer Res 63:6523-31. 2003....
- Anastrozole ('Arimidex') versus tamoxifen as first-line therapy in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer: results of the double-blind cross-over SAKK trial 21/95--a sub-study of the TARGET (Tamoxifen or 'Arimidex' Randomized Group Efficacy and Beat Thurlimann
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Oncology Haematology, Kantonsspital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 85:247-54. 2004..Treatment with tamoxifen may still be useful upon subsequent progression...
- Changes in muscle, fat and bone mass after 36 weeks of maximal androgen blockade for prostate cancerDaniel A Galvão
Vario Health Institute, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Australia
BJU Int 102:44-7. 2008..To assess the effects of androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) on whole-body and regional muscle, fat and bone mass in men with prostate cancer without metastatic bone disease...
- Estrogenic effects of toremifene and tamoxifen in postmenopausal breast cancer patientsJ Ellmen
Clinical Development, Orion Corporation, Orion Pharma, Turku, Finland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 82:103-11. 2003..In some tissues tamoxifen 20 may be more estrogenic than toremifene 60 mg/day...
- Increased constitutive activity of PKB/Akt in tamoxifen resistant breast cancer MCF-7 cellsNicola J Jordan
Tenovus Centre for Cancer Research, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cardiff, CF10 3XF, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 87:167-80. 2004..Increased Akt1 activation may contribute to the aggressive phenotype of tamoxifen resistant ER (oestrogen receptor) positive breast cancers...
- Superiority of letrozole to tamoxifen in the first-line treatment of advanced breast cancer: evidence from metastatic subgroups and a test of functional abilityH Mouridsen
Novartis Pharma AG, WKL-490.1.04, CH-4057 Basel, Switzerland
Oncologist 9:489-96. 2004..CONCLUSION: These data demonstrate the consistent superiority of letrozole over tamoxifen and support the use of letrozole as a new standard of endocrine therapy in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer...
- Cyclin D1 overexpression is a negative predictive factor for tamoxifen response in postmenopausal breast cancer patientsM Stendahl
Division of Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, , , Sweden
Br J Cancer 90:1942-8. 2004..Our results suggest that cyclin D1 overexpression predicts for tamoxifen treatment resistance in breast cancer, which is line with recent experimental data using breast cancer cell lines and overexpression systems...
- The antiepidermal growth factor receptor agent gefitinib (ZD1839/Iressa) improves antihormone response and prevents development of resistance in breast cancer in vitroJ M W Gee
Tenovus Centre for Cancer Research, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Redwood Building, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3XF, Wales, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 144:5105-17. 2003..Gefitinib addition to antihormonal therapy could prove more effective in treating estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer and may combat development of resistance...
- Fulvestrant (Faslodex) versus anastrozole for the second-line treatment of advanced breast cancer in subgroups of postmenopausal women with visceral and non-visceral metastases: combined results from two multicentre trialsL Mauriac
Institut Bergonie, Centre Régional de Lutte Contre le Cancer de Bordeaux et du Sud Ouest, 229, cours de l Argonne, 33076, Bordeaux, France
Eur J Cancer 39:1228-33. 2003..Fulvestrant is at least as effective as anastrozole, providing a valuable treatment option for advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women with visceral metastases who have failed on prior endocrine therapy...
- Multiple targeting by the antitumor drug tamoxifen: a structure-activity studyPhilippe de Medina
Département Innovation thérapeutique et Oncologie Moléculaire, Centre de Physiopathologie de Toulouse Purpan, INSERM U 563, C P T P, Institut Claudius Regaud, 20 24 rue du Pont saint Pierre, 31052 Toulouse Cedex, France
Curr Med Chem Anticancer Agents 4:491-508. 2004..These data provide a useful guide for the conception of selective ligands of ERs, AEBS, PKC, CaM or ACAT based on the chemical structure of tamoxifen...
- Two years of adjuvant tamoxifen in premenopausal patients with breast cancer: a randomised, controlled trial with long-term follow-upLisa Rydén
Department of Surgery, Helsingborgs lasarett, SE 251 85 Helsingborg, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 41:256-64. 2005..PR status was a significant predictor of response to tamoxifen in multivariate models with testing of interactions of hormone receptor status and adjuvant therapy...
- Mechanisms of tamoxifen resistanceAlistair Ring
Academic Department of Biochemistry, Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Rd, London. SW3 6JJ, UK
Endocr Relat Cancer 11:643-58. 2004..The experimental and clinical evidence supporting these mechanisms of tamoxifen resistance are discussed in this review...
- Adjuvant endocrine therapy for early breast cancerClaudia Andreetta
Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London, UK
Cancer Lett 251:17-27. 2007..Issues including the timing of administration (up-front or sequential), the duration of the therapy and the role of biomarkers such as PgR and HER2 in optimal selection remain unresolved...
- Towards optimal endocrine therapy for hormone-sensitive breast cancer: initial versus sequential adjuvant aromatase inhibitionJ Spicer
Department of Medical Oncology, Academic Oncology Offices, 3rd Floor, Thomas Guy House, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, St Thomas Street, London, UK
Cancer Lett 248:165-74. 2007..Comparison is made between initial aromatase inhibition, switching, and extended adjuvant strategies. Practical recommendations are given for the endocrine treatment of post-menopausal breast cancer...
- Pharmacogenomic variation of CYP2D6 and the choice of optimal adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal breast cancer: a modeling analysisRinaa S Punglia
Department of Radiation Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:642-8. 2008....
- Neoadjuvant use of hormonal therapy in elderly patients with early or locally advanced hormone receptor-positive breast cancerE Jane Macaskill
Edinburgh Breast Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Oncologist 11:1081-8. 2006..These drugs are particularly suitable to the needs of an elderly population...
- [Adjuvant endocrine therapy in postmenopausal hormone-sensitive breast cancer: to start, to switch or to extend?]Tamás Nagykálnai
Bajcsy Zsilinszky Kórház és Rendelôintézet 1106 Budapest Maglódi u 89 91
Magy Onkol 52:133-43. 2008..In each of these trials incorporation of an AI resulted in significant improvement in study endpoints. Further results will be needed to establish the optimal beneficial effect, use, duration and safety of adjuvant AI therapies...
- Outcome prediction for estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer based on postneoadjuvant endocrine therapy tumor characteristicsMatthew J Ellis
Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Ave, St Louis, MO 63119, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1380-8. 2008....
- Late risk of relapse and mortality among postmenopausal women with estrogen responsive early breast cancer after 5 years of tamoxifenH F Kennecke
Division of Medical Oncology, British Columbia BC Cancer Agency, Canada
Ann Oncol 18:45-51. 2007..An individualized estimate of the risk of relapse and death after 5 years of tamoxifen could improve decisions regarding extended hormonal therapy...
- Five years of letrozole compared with tamoxifen as initial adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer: update of study BIG 1-98Alan S Coates
International Breast Cancer Study Group IBCSG, IBCSG Coordinating Center, Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 25:486-92. 2007..Because this presentation may unduly reflect early events, the present analysis is limited to patients randomly assigned to the continuous therapy arms and includes protocol-defined updated results...
- Predictors of early relapse in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer in the BIG 1-98 trialL Mauriac
French Breast Cancer Group, Institut Bergonié Bordeaux, France
Ann Oncol 18:859-67. 2007..Awaiting results from ongoing randomized trials, we examined prognostic factors of an early relapse among patients in the BIG 1-98 trial to aid in treatment choices...
- The role of endocrine therapies in reducing risk of recurrence in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancerEmma Pennery
Breast Cancer Care, Kiln House, London SE1 0NS, UK
Eur J Oncol Nurs 12:233-43. 2008....
- The discovery and mechanism of action of letrozoleAjay S Bhatnagar
World Wide Services Group Ltd, Geispelgasse 13, CH 4132, Muttenz, Switzerland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:7-17. 2007..An extensive program of randomized clinical trials has demonstrated the clinical benefits of letrozole across the spectrum of hormone-responsive breast cancer in postmenopausal women...
- Letrozole as upfront endocrine therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone-sensitive breast cancer: BIG 1-98Dieter Koeberle
Department of Internal Medicine, Division Oncology Hematology, Kantonsspital, CH 9007, St Gallen, Switzerland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:55-66. 2007..A subsequent analysis after additional follow-up will address the question of monotherapy versus sequential therapy...
- [Adjuvant treatment of breast cancer. Endocrine therapy]Henning T Mouridsen
Rigshospitalet, Finsencentret, Onkologisk Klinisk 5074, København Ø
Ugeskr Laeger 169:3072-6. 2007..Additionally, aromatase inhibitors have recently demonstrated further benefits in postmenopausal women. The ideal sequencing of treatment with tamoxifen and/or an aromatase inhibitor is the subject of several ongoing studies...
- Safety of aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant settingEdith A Perez
Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:75-89. 2007..Overall, the benefits of AIs over tamoxifen are achieved without compromising overall quality of life...
- [Sensitivity of chemotherapy depending on hormone status in breast cancer]Yoshinori Ito
Division of Breast Cancer, Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research
Nippon Rinsho 65:568-71. 2007
- The patient experienceNadia Harbeck
Frauenklinik der Technischen Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Strasse 22, Munich 81675, Germany
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:91-103. 2007..The major benefits of letrozole are to improve prospects for long-term survivorship in the adjuvant setting and to delay progression and the need for chemotherapy in the metastatic setting...
- Adjuvant letrozole versus tamoxifen according to centrally-assessed ERBB2 status for postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer: supplementary results from the BIG 1-98 randomised trialBirgitte B Rasmussen
Department of Pathology, Nordsjaellands Hospital, Hilleroed, Denmark
Lancet Oncol 9:23-8. 2008..Our aim was to establish whether the benefit of letrozole versus tamoxifen differs according to the ERBB2 status of tumours...
- Advances in adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal womenNancy U Lin
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, Mayer 232, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:798-805. 2008..We outline controversies in choosing the optimal endocrine approach, and we discuss selected ongoing studies. Finally, we highlight future research directions, such as the need to understand host and tumor heterogeneity...
- Prescription pattern of aromatase inhibitors for the adjuvant therapy of breast cancer in Germany - results of the second survey among gynaecologists and medical oncologistsDiana Luftner
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik mit Schwerpunkt Onkologie und Hämatologie, Charite, Campus Mitte, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Onkologie 31:19-25. 2008..In sequence to our first survey in 2004 on antihormonal therapy with aromatase inhibitors (AIs), we conducted a second survey on the prescription practice in 2005...
- Intent-to-treat analysis of the placebo-controlled trial of letrozole for extended adjuvant therapy in early breast cancer: NCIC CTG MA.17J N Ingle
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Oncol 19:877-82. 2008..57, P = 0.00008]. The trial was unblinded and placebo patients were offered letrozole...
- Controversies in endocrine treatment: effective utilization of steroidal and nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors: now and in the future. ForwardMatti Aapro
Clinique de Genolier, Vand, Switzerland
Anticancer Drugs 19:S1. 2008
- Ovarian suppression for early breast cancerNicholas Wilcken
Department of Medical Oncology, Westmead and Nepean Hospitals and University of Sydney, NSW 2145, Australia
Lancet 369:1668-70. 2007
- Letrozole in the extended adjuvant setting: MA.17Paul E Goss
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, 55 Fruit Street, Cox Bldg, Room 640, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:45-53. 2007....
- Re: Randomized trial of letrozole following tamoxifen as extended adjuvant therapy in receptor-positive breast cancer: updated findings from NCIC CTG MA.17Luc Vakaet
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:1162; author reply 1162-3. 2006
- New drugs in breast cancerS Iqbal
Breast Unit Research Group, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 2:975-85. 2001..Tamoxifen has a new role in chemoprevention in patients at high risk of breast cancer. This paper summarises these results...
- Recent advances in endocrine therapy for postmenopausal women with early breast cancer: implications for treatment and preventionJ S Tobias
Meyerstein Institute of Oncology, Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Ann Oncol 15:1738-47. 2004..AIs are now being assessed in the adjuvant and prevention settings...
- Endocrine therapy for early breast cancerSyed A Hussain
Cancer Research UK, Institute for Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham, Vincent Drive, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 4:877-88. 2004....
- [Letrozole vs. placebo after adjuvant tamoxifen in postmenopausal breast cancer: the MA-17 study]Stefania Gori
SC Oncologia Medica, Azienda Ospedaliera di Perugia
Suppl Tumori 3:S27-31. 2004
- [Letrozole vs. placebo after adjuvant tamoxifen in postmenopausal breast cancer. The example of the MA-17 study]Samantha Forciniti
Ospedale Renzetti, Lanciano, CH
Suppl Tumori 3:S25-6. 2004
- Ductal carcinoma in situ, complexities and challengesGregory D Leonard
Cancer Therapeutics Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20889-5105, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:906-20. 2004..Ongoing and recently completed studies should provide information on outcomes in patients treated with lumpectomy alone and on the effectiveness of aromatase inhibitors as an alternative to tamoxifen...
- Tamoxifen: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?Daniel F Hayes
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:895-7. 2004
- Endocrine resistance in advanced breast cancerM Dowsett
Marsden Hospital, London, England
Acta Oncol 35:91-5. 1996..There is evidence, however, that in some patients the intratumoural concentration of tamoxifen is substantially reduced at relapse, despite no change in plasma levels...
- Relationship between intratumoral expression of genes coding for xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes and benefit from adjuvant tamoxifen in estrogen receptor alpha-positive postmenopausal breast carcinomaIvan Bieche
Laboratoire d Oncogénétique INSERM E0017, Centre Rene Huguenin, St Cloud, France
Breast Cancer Res 6:R252-63. 2004..One molecular mechanism proposed to explain tamoxifen resistance is altered tamoxifen metabolism and bioavailability...
- A randomized trial of exemestane after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancerR Charles Coombes
Department of Cancer Medicine, Imperial College and Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 350:1081-92. 2004..04). CONCLUSIONS: Exemestane therapy after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy significantly improved disease-free survival as compared with the standard five years of tamoxifen treatment...
- [Controversies in endocrine therapy for breast cancer]Masayo Kawakami
Department of Surgery and Breast Oncology, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, 3-18-22 Honkomagome, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8677, Japan
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 31:181-7. 2004..Further research concomitant with clinical trials may lead to a more reliable endocrine therapy modality in the treatment of breast cancer...
- Data from the Arimidex, tamoxifen, alone or in combination (ATAC) trial: implications for use of aromatase inhibitors in 2003Aman U Buzdar
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:355S-61S. 2004..Anastrozole should, therefore, now be considered a valid alternative option to tamoxifen for adjuvant hormonal treatment in all postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer...
- Focus on anastrozole and breast cancerK Mokbel
St George s Hospital and Medical School, London, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 19:683-8. 2003..The potential role of anastrozole in the neoadjuvant setting, the management of DCIS, premenopausal breast cancer and breast cancer prevention is currently being investigated...
- The best use of adjuvant endocrine treatmentsKathleen I Pritchard
Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Breast 12:497-508. 2003..Her-2 neu status is being explored as a predictive factor for selection of endocrine therapy, but is not yet considered standard for this purpose...
- A randomized trial of letrozole in postmenopausal women after five years of tamoxifen therapy for early-stage breast cancerPaul E Goss
Division of Hematology Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 349:1793-802. 2003..The aromatase inhibitor letrozole, by suppressing estrogen production, might improve the outcome after the discontinuation of tamoxifen therapy...
Research Grants147 found, 100 shown here
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARDMatthew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, this research program may help decrease the burden of cancer treatment for prostate cancer survivors. ..
- ADAM: Androgen Deprivation vs. Antiandrogen MonotherapyMatthew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this project will provide important insights into the relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in bone metabolism, and maintenance of muscle size and strength in older men. ..
- Targeting Androgen -IGF Interactions in Prostate CancerCharles Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Mayo Clinic Breast Cancer SPOREJames Ingle; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Tamoxifen biotransformation pathway pharmacogenomicsMATTHEW PHILIP GOETZ; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Tamoxifen biotransformation pathway pharmacogenomicsMatthew Goetz; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Modification of tamoxifen effectiveness by gene polymorphisms and other drugsTimothy Lash; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the modification of tamoxifen effectiveness by genetic polymorphisms or drug interactions will help patients and physicians to make fully informed decisions about hormone therapy. ..
- SMOKING & GENETIC INTERACTION IN BREAST CANCER ETIOLOGYTimothy Lash; Fiscal Year: 2004..The second study would collect buccal swabs from participants in the study of adjuvant tamoxifen therapy (Dr. Silliman PI). A similar analytic plan would be conducted, but with a case-only design. ..
- Predictive Biomarkers of Adjuvant Trastuzumab in the HER2+N9831 Intergroup TrialMONICA MADDEN REINHOLZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our study proposes biomarker tissue correlative studies to help identify those patients most likely to benefit from this treatment. ..
- Predictive Biomarkers of Adjuvant Trastuzumab in the HER2+N9831 Intergroup TrialEdith Perez; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our study proposes biomarker tissue correlative studies to help identify those patients most likely to benefit from this treatment. ..
- Modification of tamoxifen effectiveness by gene polymorphisms and other drugsTimothy Lash; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the modification of tamoxifen effectiveness by genetic polymorphisms or drug interactions will help patients and physicians to make fully informed decisions about hormone therapy. ..
- VISUAL ADAPTATION LIMITS AND AGE-RELATED DISEASEAlvin Eisner; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Female Hormones and VisionAlvin Eisner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Louisville Breast Cancer UpdateAnees Chagpar; Fiscal Year: 2007..This annual event is the only one of its kind in Kentucky, and provides an important resource for education of clinicians, scientists and advocates. ..
- Resveratrol, Carbohydrate Restriction and Prostate Cancer ProgressionStephen Freedland; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- SFSU/UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Partnership ProgramMack Roach; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Biomarkers for Aromatase Inhibitor TherapyMatthew J Ellis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Resveratrol, Carbohydrate Restriction and Prostate Cancer ProgressionSalvatore V Pizzo; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Novel Biomarkers for Aromatase Inhibitor TherapyMatthew Ellis; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Phase III Trial of Exercise Training in Postsurgical Lung CancerLee Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009..Despite its importance, effective interventions to improve exercise capacity among lung cancer patients are not available. ..
- UDPGLUCURONOSYLTRANSFERASE GENOTYPE AND ORAL CANCER RISKPhilip Lazarus; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may provide potentially important genetic biomarkers which may reflect upon an individual's risk for oral and potentially other tobacco-related cancers. ..
- STUDY OF OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTURESSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- NEW APPROACHES TO EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF ACROMEGALYPamela Freda; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF THE CELL CYCLE IN HYPERSENSITIVITY TO ESTRADIOLRichard Santen; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- NEW APPROACHES TO EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF ACROMEGALYPamela Freda; Fiscal Year: 2003..My sponsor, Dr. Wardlaw, continues to be committed to providing me with the guidance I need to pursue my research plans and to facilitate my transition to independent investigator. ..
- UDP-GLUCURONOSYLTRANSFERASE GENOTYPE AND CANCER RISKPhilip Lazarus; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies should significantly impact on the field of cancer genetics and epidemiology as they will enable us to better assess the role of variation in glucuronidation pathways and cancer induction. ..
- Analysis of 5'UTR-Mediated Regulation of p53 ExpressionPhilip Lazarus; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TOBACCO AND CANCER RISK--DOSE, METABOLISM AND GENETICSPhilip Lazarus; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- AROMATASE INHIBITORS FOR CONTROL OF BREAST CANCERAngela Brodie; Fiscal Year: 1980..We also propose to apply aromatase inhibitors to studying the interrelationships of estrogen with other hormones and their effects on steroid hormone plasma and receptor levels. ..
- AROMATASE AND BREAST CANCERAngela M Brodie; Fiscal Year: 2010..These strategies will be tested in our unique model to determine their anti-tumor efficacy. The results of these studies could improve treatment for breast cancer patients. ..
- Genetic and Environmental Determinants of Warfarin ResponseNita Limdi; Fiscal Year: 2009..This knowledge will provide an evidence base for future pre-prescription genotyping for accurate warfarin dosing and facilitate its use in qualifying patients. ..
- Vanderbilt-Shanghai Chronic Disease Research Training ProgramXiao Ou Shu; Fiscal Year: 2009..This program will have significant impact on chronic disease research and prevention in China, and possibly extend to other developing countries. ..
- Novel treatments for polycystic kidney diseaseVicente Torres; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic and Environmental Determinants of Warfarin ResponseNita Limdi; Fiscal Year: 2009..This knowledge will provide an evidence base for future pre-prescription genotyping for accurate warfarin dosing and facilitate its use in qualifying patients. ..
- Cohort Study of Cancer-Inhibitory Dietary Factors in MenXiao Ou Shu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results from this study may guide new strategies in the primary prevention of common cancers in both Western and Asian men. ..