Genomes and Genes
non steroidal anti inflammatory agents
Summary: Anti-inflammatory agents that are not steroids. In addition to anti-inflammatory actions, they have analgesic, antipyretic, and platelet-inhibitory actions. They are used primarily in the treatment of chronic arthritic conditions and certain soft tissue disorders associated with pain and inflammation. They act by blocking the synthesis of prostaglandins by inhibiting cyclooxygenase, which converts arachidonic acid to cyclic endoperoxides, precursors of prostaglandins. Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis accounts for their analgesic, antipyretic, and platelet-inhibitory actions; other mechanisms may contribute to their anti-inflammatory effects. Certain NSAIDs also may inhibit lipoxygenase enzymes or phospholipase C or may modulate T-cell function. (AMA Drug Evaluations Annual, 1994, p 1814-5)
Publications357 found, 100 shown here
- Curcumin: the Indian solid goldBharat B Aggarwal
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 595:1-75. 2007..g., HERCEPTIN). Considering the recent scientific bandwagon that multitargeted therapy is better than monotargeted therapy for most diseases, curcumin can be considered an ideal "Spice for Life"...
- EULAR Recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: Report of a Task Force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT)K M Jordan
Southampton General Hospital, Southampton S016 6YD, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 62:1145-55. 2003..To update the EULAR recommendations for management of knee osteoarthritis (OA) by an evidence based medicine and expert opinion approach...
- Effect of aspirin on long-term risk of colorectal cancer: consistent evidence from randomised and observational studiesEnrico Flossmann
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
Lancet 369:1603-13. 2007..However, the delay from the early development of adenoma to presentation with cancer is at least 10 years. We aimed to assess the longer-term effect of aspirin on the incidence of cancers...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as anticancer agents: mechanistic, pharmacologic, and clinical issuesMichael J Thun
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, National Home Office, Atlanta, GA 30329 4251, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:252-66. 2002..Finally, we suggest research opportunities that may help to accelerate the future clinical application of NSAIDs for cancer prevention or treatment...
- Celecoxib for the prevention of colorectal adenomatous polypsNadir Arber
Integrated Cancer Prevention Center, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
N Engl J Med 355:885-95. 2006..Overexpression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) has been associated with colorectal adenomatous polyps and cancer, prompting researchers to propose its inhibition as a chemopreventive intervention...
- A randomized trial of aspirin to prevent colorectal adenomasJohn A Baron
Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
N Engl J Med 348:891-9. 2003..Laboratory and epidemiologic data suggest that aspirin has an antineoplastic effect in the large bowel...
- Association between nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding/perforation: an overview of epidemiologic studies published in the 1990sS Hernandez-Diaz
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:2093-9. 2000..Later analyses have also included the effect of patterns of NSAID use, risk factors for UGIB, and modifiers of NSAID effect...
- Biological basis for the cardiovascular consequences of COX-2 inhibition: therapeutic challenges and opportunitiesTilo Grosser
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics and Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Clin Invest 116:4-15. 2006....
- Efficacy and safety of recombinant human activated protein C for severe sepsisG R Bernard
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
N Engl J Med 344:699-709. 2001..In this phase 3 trial, we assessed whether treatment with drotrecogin alfa activated reduced the rate of death from any cause among patients with severe sepsis...
- Approaches to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use in the high-risk patientL Laine
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Gastroenterology 120:594-606. 2001..This review discusses the risks of clinical GI disease in NSAID users, the predictors of increased risk, and strategies for prevention of NSAID-associated GI disease...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors, in osteoarthritic knee pain: meta-analysis of randomised placebo controlled trialsJan Magnus Bjordal
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, 5018 Bergen, Norway
BMJ 329:1317. 2004..To estimate the analgesic efficacy of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors (coxibs), in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee...
- Cardiovascular risk and inhibition of cyclooxygenase: a systematic review of the observational studies of selective and nonselective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase 2Patricia McGettigan
Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine and Public Health, The University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
JAMA 296:1633-44. 2006..Regulatory agencies have provided variable advice regarding the cardiovascular risks with older nonselective NSAIDs...
- EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of hip osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT)W Zhang
Academic Rheumatology, University of Nottingham, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 64:669-81. 2005..To develop evidence based recommendations for the management of hip osteoarthritis (OA)...
- A subset of NSAIDs lower amyloidogenic Abeta42 independently of cyclooxygenase activityS Weggen
Department of Neurosciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nature 414:212-6. 2001....
- Risk of myocardial infarction in patients taking cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors or conventional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: population based nested case-control analysisJulia Hippisley-Cox
Institution 13th floor, Tower Building, University Park, Nottingham NG2 7RD
BMJ 330:1366. 2005....
- A quantitative analysis of NSAID-induced small bowel pathology by capsule enteroscopyLaurence Maiden
Department of Medicine, Guy s, King s, St Thomas Medical School, London, England
Gastroenterology 128:1172-8. 2005..We used wireless capsule enteroscopy to quantitate and assess the nature of the small bowel damage caused by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs when taken on a short-term basis...
- Coxibs and cardiovascular diseaseGarret A Fitzgerald
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 351:1709-11. 2004
- A large cohort study of long-term daily use of adult-strength aspirin and cancer incidenceEric J Jacobs
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, National Home Office, 1599 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:608-15. 2007..However, the potential effect of long-term daily use of higher doses of aspirin on cancer incidence remains uncertain...
- OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis, part I: critical appraisal of existing treatment guidelines and systematic review of current research evidenceW Zhang
University of Edinburgh, Osteoarticular Research Group, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 15:981-1000. 2007....
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of esophageal and gastric adenocarcinomas in Los Angeles CountyLei Duan
Division of Population Sciences, City of Hope National Medical Center, 1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:126-34. 2008..Yet, data on potential confounding effects by upper gastrointestinal tract (UGI) disorders on adenocarcinomas of the UGI are limited...
- Targeting cyclooxygenase-2 in human neoplasia: rationale and promiseAndrew J Dannenberg
Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University and Strang Cancer Prevention Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cancer Cell 4:431-6. 2003
- Time dependent risk of gastrointestinal complications induced by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use: a consensus statement using a meta-analytic approachF Richy
Santé Publique, épidémiologie et économie de la santé, CHU, Bat B23, B 4000 Sart Tilman, Belgium, Europe
Ann Rheum Dis 63:759-66. 2004..To provide an updated document assessing the global, NSAID-specific, and time dependent risk of gastrointestinal (GI) complications through meta-analyses of high quality studies...
- Targeting the beta-catenin/APC pathway: a novel mechanism to explain the cyclooxygenase-2-independent anticarcinogenic effects of celecoxib in human colon carcinoma cellsThorsten Jürgen Maier
Pharmazentrum frankfurt ZAFES, Institut fur Klinische Pharmakologie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
FASEB J 19:1353-5. 2005..These findings indicate that the anticarcinogenic effects of celecoxib can be explained, at least partly, by an extensive degradation of beta-catenin in human colon carcinoma cells...
- Sulindac sulfide-induced apoptosis involves death receptor 5 and the caspase 8-dependent pathway in human colon and prostate cancer cellsY Huang
Department of Pharmacology, State University of New York, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Cancer Res 61:6918-24. 2001..Thus, our results demonstrate that sulindac sulfide also engages the membrane DR pathway involving DR5 and proximal caspase 8 to induce apoptosis...
- Effects of pulsed electromagnetic fields on patients' recovery after arthroscopic surgery: prospective, randomized and double-blind studyC Zorzi
Sacro Cuore Don Calabria Hospital, Via don A Sempreboni 5, 37024 Negrar Vr, Italy
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:830-4. 2007..05). Treatment with I-ONE aided patient recovery after arthroscopic surgery, reduced the use of NSAIDs, and also had a positive long-term effect...
- Ulcer prevention in long-term users of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: results of a double-blind, randomized, multicenter, active- and placebo-controlled study of misoprostol vs lansoprazoleDavid Y Graham
Veterans Affairs Medical Center 111D, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Room 3A 320, Houston, TX 77030 4211, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:169-75. 2002....
- Biomarkers of oxidative stress study III. Effects of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents indomethacin and meclofenamic acid on measurements of oxidative products of lipids in CCl4 poisoningM B Kadiiska
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 38:711-8. 2005....
- Topical ocular delivery of NSAIDsMunish Ahuja
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar, 125 001, Haryana, India
AAPS J 10:229-41. 2008..Recent studies showed that the use of colloidal nanoparticle formulations and the potent COX 2 inhibitor bromfenac may enhance NSAID efficacy in eye preparations...
- Cyclooxygenase regulates angiogenesis induced by colon cancer cellsM Tsujii
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, VA Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Cell 93:705-16. 1998..Cyclooxygenase regulates colon carcinoma-induced angiogenesis by two mechanisms: COX-2 can modulate production of angiogenic factors by colon cancer cells, while COX-1 regulates angiogenesis in endothelial cells...
- Critical roles of intracellular thiols and calcium in parthenolide-induced apoptosis in human colorectal cancer cellsSiyuan Zhang
Department of Community, Occupational and Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine MD3, National University of Singapore, 16 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597
Cancer Lett 208:143-53. 2004..These data clearly demonstrate that the intracellular thiols and calcium equilibrium play a critical role in parthenolide-induced apoptotic cell death...
- The effects of Ginkgo biloba extract on lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation in vitro and in vivoIliyana Ilieva
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, North 15, West 7, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Exp Eye Res 79:181-7. 2004..7) treated with GBE in vitro to clarify the anti-inflammatory effect...
- Adherence to proton pump inhibitors or H2-receptor antagonists during the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugsM C J M Sturkenboom
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Medical Informatics, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 18:1137-47. 2003..The efficacy of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) or histamine-2 receptor antagonists (H2RAs) prescribed as prophylaxis for NSAID-related upper gastrointestinal (UGI) toxicity is dependent upon patient adherence...
- NSAID inhibition of GI cancer growth: clinical implications and molecular mechanisms of actionSyeda S Husain
Medical Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:542-53. 2002....
- COX-2: a target for colon cancer preventionLawrence J Marnett
A B Hancock Jr Memorial Laboratory for Cancer Research, Center in Molecular Toxicology, Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 42:55-80. 2002..It is hoped that, as the genome sequence is understood more clearly, other targets will emerge that will provide even more effective drugs for future cancer prevention...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)-independent anticarcinogenic effects of selective COX-2 inhibitorsSabine Grosch
Pharmazentrum Frankfurt, ZAFES, Institut fur Klinische Pharmakologie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Universitat Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:736-47. 2006..We also compare the concentrations of these inhibitors used in in vitro and in vivo experiments and discuss the implications of the in vitro studies for clinical management of cancer with these drugs...
- Oxidative stress-mediated apoptosis. The anticancer effect of the sesquiterpene lactone parthenolideJing Wen
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Departments of Internal Medicine and Anatomy Research Institute for Clinical Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School and Hospital, Chonju, Chonbuk 561 712, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 277:38954-64. 2002..Finally, parthenolide and its derivatives may be useful chemotherapeutic agents to treat these invasive cancers...
- Pathogenesis of aspirin-exacerbated respiratory diseaseDonald D Stevenson
Allergy and Immunology Division, Scripps Clinic and the Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 24:169-88. 2003..It is more likely that a diminution in number or function of cysLT receptors accounts for the diminished inflammatory response found in ASA desensitization...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs inhibit cellular proliferation and upregulate cyclooxygenase-2 protein expression in endometrial cancer cellsJingchun Gao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu 501 1194
Cancer Sci 95:901-7. 2004..A cytochrome c-dependent apoptotic pathway and/or cell cycle arrest may contribute to the inhibitory effects of these NSAIDs...
- Visible small-intestinal mucosal injury in chronic NSAID usersDavid Y Graham
Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, Room 3A 320 111D, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:55-9. 2005..The prevalence and severity of small-intestinal lesions remains unclear. Our aim was to assess the frequency of NSAID-induced small-bowel injury among chronic NSAID users...
- Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for cancer prevention: an international consensus statementJack Cuzick
Cancer Research UK Centre for Epidemiology, Mathematics, and Statistics, Queen Mary University of London, London UK
Lancet Oncol 10:501-7. 2009..The main side-effect of aspirin is peptic ulcers; therefore coadministration of aspirin with a proton-pump inhibitor is an attractive option and is under investigation in the AspECT trial...
- The flavonoid baicalin inhibits superantigen-induced inflammatory cytokines and chemokinesT Krakauer
Department of Immunology and Molecular Biology, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702 5011, USA
FEBS Lett 500:52-5. 2001..These data suggest that baicalin may be therapeutically useful for mitigating the pathogenic effects of SE by inhibiting the signaling pathways activated by superantigens...
- Nonsteroid drug selectivities for cyclo-oxygenase-1 rather than cyclo-oxygenase-2 are associated with human gastrointestinal toxicity: a full in vitro analysisT D Warner
The William Harvey Research Institute, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London, EC1M 6BQ, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:7563-8. 1999..In conclusion, this full in vitro analysis of COX-1/2 selectivities in human tissues clearly supports the theory that inhibition of COX-1 underlies the gastrointestinal toxicity of NSAIDs in man...
- A population-based study of daily nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use and prostate cancerRosebud O Roberts
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:219-25. 2002..To investigate the association between daily use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and prostate cancer...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of simvastatin in subjects with hypercholesterolemiaJ Musial
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Skawinska 8, 31 066, Krakow, Poland
Int J Cardiol 77:247-53. 2001..The aim of the study was to assess the influence of simvastatin and aspirin on serum levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) in hypercholesterolemic subjects...
- Polymorphisms in COX-2, NSAID use and risk of basal cell carcinoma in a prospective study of DanesUlla Vogel
National Research Centre for Working Environment, DK 2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark
Mutat Res 617:138-46. 2007..While it cannot be ruled out that the present findings are due to chance, the results indicate that high COX-2 expression may increase risk of BCC while NSAID use may be protective...
- Effect of 5-aminosalicylate use on colorectal cancer and dysplasia risk: a systematic review and metaanalysis of observational studiesFernando S Velayos
Division of Gastroenterology and UCSF Center for Colitis and Crohn s Disease, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:1345-53. 2005..We performed a systematic review with metaanalysis of observational studies evaluating the association between 5-ASA use and colorectal cancer (CRC) or dysplasia among patients with ulcerative colitis...
- Increased mortality and cardiovascular morbidity associated with use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in chronic heart failureGunnar H Gislason
Department of Cardiology, Gentofte University Hospital, Niels Andersens Vej 65, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Arch Intern Med 169:141-9. 2009..We studied the risk of death and hospitalization because of acute myocardial infarction and heart failure (HF) associated with use of NSAIDs in an unselected cohort of patients with HF...
- Equivalence study of a topical diclofenac solution (pennsaid) compared with oral diclofenac in symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trialPeter S Tugwell
Centre for Global Health, Institute of Population Health, Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 31:2002-12. 2004..To compare the safety and efficacy of a topical diclofenac solution versus oral diclofenac in relieving the symptoms of primary osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee, in a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy equivalence trial...
- Uncoupling of intestinal mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and inhibition of cyclooxygenase are required for the development of NSAID-enteropathy in the ratS Somasundaram
Departments of Medicine and Surgery, Guy s, King s and St Thomas Medical School, Camberwell, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:639-50. 2000..One suggestion is that the nonprostaglandin mechanism involves uncoupling of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation...
- Cyclooxygenase inhibitors regulate the expression of a TGF-beta superfamily member that has proapoptotic and antitumorigenic activitiesS J Baek
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Mol Pharmacol 59:901-8. 2001..These data demonstrate that NAG-1 is an antitumorigenic and proapoptotic protein, and its regulation by COX inhibitors may provide new clues for explaining their proapoptotic and antitumorigenic activities...
- Reduced hospital stay and narcotic consumption, and improved mobilization with local and intraarticular infiltration after hip arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial of an intraarticular technique versus epidural infusion in 80 patientsKaren V Andersen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:180-6. 2007..We compared wound infiltration combined with intraarticular injection of local anesthetics for pain relief after total hip arthroplasty (THA) with the well-established practice of epidural infusion...
- Prostaglandin synthase 1 gene disruption in mice reduces arachidonic acid-induced inflammation and indomethacin-induced gastric ulcerationR Langenbach
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Cell 83:483-92. 1995..Ptgs1 homozygous mutant females mated to homozygous mutant males produce few live offspring. COX-1-deficient mice provide a useful model to distinguish the physiological roles of COX-1 and COX-2...
- Efficacy and safety of a topical diclofenac solution (pennsaid) in the treatment of primary osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled clinical trialSanford H Roth
Arizona Research and Education, Phoenix, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:2017-23. 2004..A new topical diclofenac sodium solution-containing the absorption enhancer dimethyl sulfoxide-was evaluated for the relief of the symptoms of primary OA of the knee...
- Anti-inflammatory drugs in the 21st centuryK D Rainsford
Biomedical Research Centre, Faculty of Health and Wellbeing, Sheffield Hallam University, Howard Street, Sheffield, SI 1WB, UK
Subcell Biochem 42:3-27. 2007....
- The effect of celecoxib, a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, in familial adenomatous polyposisG Steinbach
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 342:1946-52. 2000..Patients with familial adenomatous polyposis have a nearly 100 percent risk of colorectal cancer. In this disease, the chemopreventive effects of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs may be related to their inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2...
- Postoperative analgesia in total hip arthroplasty: a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled study on peroperative and postoperative ropivacaine, ketorolac, and adrenaline wound infiltrationLasse Juel Andersen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Odense University Hospital, Middelfart, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:187-92. 2007..Comfort and lack of pain are important for optimal mobilization after hip replacement. We investigated the efficacy of double wound infiltration...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, short-chain fatty acids, and reactive oxygen metabolism in human colorectal cancer cellsC Giardina
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs 06269 3125, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1401:277-88. 1998..The short-chain fatty acids did not have this activity. The ability of these NSAIDs and short-chain fatty acids to alter cellular ROS metabolism may contribute to their chemopreventive activity...
- Celecoxib for the prevention of sporadic colorectal adenomasMonica M Bertagnolli
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 355:873-84. 2006....
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonists modulate immunostimulated processing of amyloid precursor protein through regulation of beta-secretaseMagdalena Sastre
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, 53127 Bonn, Germany
J Neurosci 23:9796-804. 2003..In conclusion, proinflammatory cytokines activate beta-secretase, and NSAIDs inhibit this effect through PPARgamma...
- Cyclooxygenases: new forms, new inhibitors, and lessons from the clinicTimothy D Warner
The William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
FASEB J 18:790-804. 2004..This review will discuss how the latest studies help us understand the roles of COX-1 and COX-2 and what clinically proven benefits the newer generation of COX-2-selective inhibitors offer..
- Effect of anti-inflammatory drugs on overall risk of common cancer: case-control study in general practice research databaseM J Langman
Department of Medicine University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT
BMJ 320:1642-6. 2000..To examine whether anti-inflammatory drug treatment protects against the commoner cancers in the United Kingdom...
- Parthenolide and sulindac cooperate to mediate growth suppression and inhibit the nuclear factor-kappa B pathway in pancreatic carcinoma cellsMichele T Yip-Schneider
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Room 041, Building R4, 1044 West Walnut Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 4:587-94. 2005..These data provide preclinical support for a combined chemotherapeutic approach with NF-kappa B inhibitors and NSAIDs for the treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of cyclooxygenase-2 expression in pancreatic tumorsT Koshiba
Department of Surgery and Surgical Basic Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Int J Pancreatol 26:69-76. 1999..In this study, we investigated Cox-2 expression by means of both immunohistochemical analysis and immunoblot analysis in pancreatic tumors...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and bladder cancer preventionJ E Castelao
Department of Preventive Medicine, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033 0800, USA
Br J Cancer 82:1364-9. 2000..Acetic acids seemed to exhibit the strongest protective effect, whereas aspirin/other salicylic acids and oxicam showed the weakest protection...
- The effects of resveratrol, a phytoalexin derived from red wines, on chronic inflammation induced in an experimentally induced colitis modelAntonio Ramon Martín
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Seville, Profesor García González Street 2, Sevilla 41012, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 147:873-85. 2006..In conclusion, resveratrol reduces the damage in chronic experimentally induced colitis, alleviates the oxidative events, returns PGE2 production to basal levels and stimulates apoptosis in colonic cells...
- Aspirin use and mortality from cancer in a prospective cohort studyLuke D Ratnasinghe
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, NCTR, Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079, USA
Anticancer Res 24:3177-84. 2004..The purpose of this study was to assess the association between aspirin use and death from cancer and cardiovascular diseases with a special emphasis on cancer mortality...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of neoplastic progression in Barrett's oesophagus: a prospective studyThomas L Vaughan
Public Health Sciences Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Lancet Oncol 6:945-52. 2005..We aimed to assess the role of NSAID in the development of oesophageal adenocarcinoma and precursor lesions in people with Barrett's oesophagus--a metaplastic disorder that confers a high risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma...
- Polymorphisms in genes involved in the inflammatory response and interaction with NSAID use or smoking in relation to lung cancer risk in a prospective studyUlla Vogel
National Research Centre for the Working Environment, DK 2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark
Mutat Res 639:89-100. 2008..p for interaction was 3 x 10(-6) for COX-2 A-1195G and 9 x 10(-5) for PPARgamma2 Pro(12)Ala. The results suggest that NSAID use may modify risk of lung cancer differently depending on the genotype...
- Systematic review: adherence issues in the treatment of ulcerative colitisS V Kane
Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:577-85. 2006..It is a combination of understanding patient behaviour, recognizing signs of non-adherent behaviour and utilizing management strategies to change behaviour that will improve patient outcomes...
- Antitumor agent parthenolide reverses resistance of breast cancer cells to tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand through sustained activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinaseHarikrishna Nakshatri
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Oncogene 23:7330-44. 2004..These results identify a new antitumor activity of parthenolide, which can be exploited to reverse resistance of cancer cells to TRAIL, particularly those with elevated XIAP levels...
- A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in womenPaul M Ridker
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1293-304. 2005..Randomized trials have shown that low-dose aspirin decreases the risk of a first myocardial infarction in men, with little effect on the risk of ischemic stroke. There are few similar data in women...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in tumorigenesis (Part II)M M Taketo
Laboratory of Biomedical Genetics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, Japan
J Natl Cancer Inst 90:1609-20. 1998..This Part II (of a two-part review) focuses on the growing clinical and experimental evidence that NSAIDS and COX-2 inhibitors can influence the risk of colon (and possibly of other) cancers...
- Inflammation in Alzheimer disease: driving force, bystander or beneficial response?Tony Wyss-Coray
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Administration Palo Alto Health Care System, 3801 Miranda Avenue, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Nat Med 12:1005-15. 2006..Related factors, on the other hand, elicit beneficial responses and can reduce disease...
- The epidemiology of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsJ Tenenbaum
Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 13:119-22. 1999..Although no NSAID is totally safe, a number of studies have demonstrated that NSAIDs may be ranked according to relative gastrointestinal toxicity. The role of Helicobacter pylori in NSAID-associated problems remains uncertain...
- Reversal of obesity- and diet-induced insulin resistance with salicylates or targeted disruption of IkkbetaM Yuan
Joslin Diabetes Center and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Science 293:1673-7. 2001..These findings implicate an inflammatory process in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance in obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus and identify the IKKbeta pathway as a target for insulin sensitization...
- Diclofenac sodium gel in patients with primary hand osteoarthritis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialRoy D Altman
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Rheumatol 36:1991-9. 2009..To measure the efficacy and safety of diclofenac sodium gel in patients with primary hand osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Neuroprotective effect of resveratrol on 6-OHDA-induced Parkinson's disease in ratsFeng Jin
Department of Pharmacology, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 600:78-82. 2008..These results demonstrate that resveratrol exerts a neuroprotective effect on 6-OHDA-induced Parkinson's disease rat model, and this protection is related to the reduced inflammatory reaction...
- Reduced hospital stay, morphine consumption, and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia after unicompartmental knee arthroplastyPer Essving
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:213-9. 2009..The degree of postoperative pain is usually moderate to severe following knee arthroplasty. We investigated the efficacy of local administration of analgesics into the operating area, both intraoperatively and postoperatively...
- Cardiovascular events associated with rofecoxib in a colorectal adenoma chemoprevention trialRobert S Bresalier
Department of Gastrointestinal Medicine and Nutrition, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030 4009, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1092-102. 2005....
- Ajoene, a natural product with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-like properties?V M Dirsch
Institute of Pharmacy, Center of Drug Research, Butenandtstrasse 5 13 B, University of Munich, 81377, Munich, Germany
Biochem Pharmacol 61:587-93. 2001..This finding may add a novel aspect to the biological profile of the garlic-derived natural product ajoene which might be important for understanding the usefulness of garlic for chemoprevention of gastrointestinal carcinomas...
- Protection from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-induced gastric ulcers by dietary nitrateEmmelie A Jansson
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm 171 77, Sweden
Free Radic Biol Med 42:510-8. 2007..Future studies will reveal if a diet rich in nitrate can offer an additional nutritional approach to preventing and treating peptic ulcer disease...
- Lipoxin A4 stable analogs are potent mimetics that stimulate human monocytes and THP-1 cells via a G-protein-linked lipoxin A4 receptorJ F Maddox
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Reperfusion Injury, Department of Anesthesia, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 272:6972-8. 1997..Moreover, they provide additional evidence that the LXA4 stable analogs retain selective bioactivity in monocytes and are valuable instruments for examining the functions and modes of action of LXA4...
- Comparison of cyclooxygenase inhibitory activity and ocular anti-inflammatory effects of ketorolac tromethamine and bromfenac sodiumL David Waterbury
Pacific BioLabs, Hercules, CA 94070, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1133-40. 2006..To compare the cyclooxygenase (COX) activity and anti-inflammatory effects of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) ketorolac tromethamine (ketorolac) and bromfenac sodium (bromfenac)...
- Outcome of peptic ulcer bleeding, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use, and Helicobacter pylori infectionDewkoemar Ramsoekh
Department of Gastroenterology, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:859-64. 2005..NSAIDs and Helicobacter pylori are risk factors for the development of peptic ulcers. A prospective study was conducted to determine prevalence of NSAID use, H pylori infection, and outcome of peptic ulcer bleeding...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs induce apoptosis in gastric cancer cells through up-regulation of bax and bakX M Zhou
Department of Medicine and Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China
Carcinogenesis 22:1393-7. 2001..Bax and bak are important in the chemoprevention of gastric cancer...
- Treatment of ankylosing spondylitis by inhibition of tumor necrosis factor alphaJennifer D Gorman
Division of Rheumatology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1349-56. 2002....
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs repress beta-secretase gene promoter activity by the activation of PPARgammaMagdalena Sastre
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:443-8. 2006....
- Cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression inhibits death receptor 5 expression and confers resistance to tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-induced apoptosis in human colon cancer cellsXiming Tang
Department of Gastrointestinal Medicine, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 62:4903-8. 2002..In summary, modulation of DR-5 and Bcl-2 levels by COX-2 attenuates TRAIL-induced apoptosis and represents a novel mechanism of intrinsic drug resistance in human colon cancer cells...
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding associated with the use of NSAIDs: newer versus older agentsJoan Ramon Laporte
Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Drug Saf 27:411-20. 2004..The aim of this study was to estimate the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding associated with NSAIDs and analgesics, with special emphasis on those agents that have been introduced in recent years...
- GP and patient perspectives on treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for the treatment of pain in osteoarthritisBrian Crichton
Warwick University, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 18:92-6. 2002..In the light of this and recent data on the efficacy, safety profile and cost-effectiveness of COX-2 selective inhibitors, GPs should re-examine their medical management of OA...
- Relative efficacy of oral analgesics after third molar extractionJ Barden
Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, The Churchill, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Br Dent J 197:407-11; discussion 397. 2004..To compare the relative efficacy of analgesics after third molar extraction from systematic reviews of randomised, double blind studies...
- A randomized trial of aspirin to prevent colorectal adenomas in patients with previous colorectal cancerRobert S Sandler
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7555, USA
N Engl J Med 348:883-90. 2003..Experimental studies in animals and observational studies in humans suggest that regular aspirin use may decrease the risk of colorectal adenomas, the precursors to most colorectal cancers...
- The therapeutic potential of NO-NSAIDsJohn L Wallace
f Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:11-20. 2003..Recent clinical trials of NO-NSAIDs have provided a 'proof of concept' that is completely consistent with pre-clinical characterization of these compounds...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and oxidative stress in cancer cellsM Adachi
First Department of Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo Medical University, Sapporo, Japan
Histol Histopathol 22:437-42. 2007..In this paper, we propose that increased ROS generation is one of the key mechanisms for NSAIDs-mediated anticancer effects on various cancer cells...
- Recombinant human lactoferrin ingestion attenuates indomethacin-induced enteropathy in vivo in healthy volunteersF J Troost
Department of Human Biology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht, Universiteitssingel 50, 6229 ER Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1579-85. 2003....
- Long-term NSAID use in primary care: changes over a decade and NICE risk factors for gastrointestinal adverse eventsP W Thompson
Poole Hospital NHS Trust, Poole, Dorset BH15 2JB, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1308-10. 2005..To assess numbers at risk of gastrointestinal adverse events using the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidance on the use of cyclo-oxygenase (Cox) II selective drugs...
- Use of analgesics and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, genetic predisposition, and bladder cancer risk in SpainJoan Fortuny
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Municipal Institute of Medical Research, Autonomous University of Barcelona corrected Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1696-702. 2006....
- Induction of apoptosis in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts by celecoxib, but not by other selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitorsNatsuko Kusunoki
St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 46:3159-67. 2002..This study was undertaken to investigate whether selective COX-2 inhibitors could induce apoptosis of RA synovial fibroblasts (RASFs)...
- Sites of action for future therapy: an adenosine-dependent mechanism by which aspirin retains its antiinflammatory activity in cyclooxygenase-2 and NFkappaB knockout miceB N Cronstein
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Ave, New York, NY, 10016, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 7:361-3. 1999..This adenosine-dependent, antiinflammatory effect of aspirin points to another target of drug development...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the elderlyM Buffum
Nursing Service for Research, VA Medical Center, School of Nursing, School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Pain Manag Nurs 1:40-50. 2000..This article reviews current information about using NSAIDs in elderly persons...
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori and risk of peptic ulcers in patients starting long-term treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a randomised trialFrancis K L Chan
Departments of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of China, Hong Kong
Lancet 359:9-13. 2002..We hypothesised that eradication of H pylori infection would reduce the risk of ulcers for patients starting long-term NSAID treatment...
- GI-Safer Formulation of Indomethacin for use in Preterm NeonatesUPENDRA K MARATHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..This grant proposal will partially fund the development of a new molecular complex of indomethacin and phosphatidylcholine, a new formulation of indomethacin that significantly reduces GI injury. ..
- Research Center for Pharmacology &Drug ToxicologyL Jackson Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mapping Orofacial Nociceptive Pathways and Alterations Due to InflammationJOSHUA EMRICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our work will be critical for a better understanding nociceptor pathways and processes underlying hypersensitivity pain and may ultimately lead to novel targets for its treatment. ..
- Gender Selectivity to Colon Cancer Chemoprevention by NSAIDSRAMESH K contact WALI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings will have an important bearing on the healthcare recommendations for colon cancer chemoprevention which have to be cognizant of this gender selective efficacy for maximum cost-benefit potential of NSAIDS. ..
- Nanotheranostics for Early Colorectal Cancer Detection and TreatmentJeffrey S Souris; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- CHONDROPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF POMEGRANATE EXTRACTTariq M Haqqi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our findings are likely to open the door for the development of novel therapeutic strategies for the treatment of OA. ..
- MECHANISMS OF CHONDROPROTECTION BY POMEGRANATE FRUIT EXTRACTTariq M Haqqi; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our findings may open new avenues regarding the use of PFE or compounds derived from it for the treatment and/or prevention of OA. ..
- Flavonoids, esophageal/gastric cardia adenocarcinoma and Barretts Esophagus RiskMarilie D Gammon; Fiscal Year: 2013..This would allow some EA and GCA to be prevented before individuals develop these lethal cancers. ..
- Diagnosis of sub-clinical cryptic group A streptococcal myonecrosisAmy Evelyn Bryant; Fiscal Year: 2013..Bringing such a new diagnostic tool to the clinic would profoundly affect management decisions and dramatically improve patient outcomes for such an insidious but rapidly progressing and devastating disease. ..
- The Role of a Novel Vitamin E Metabolite in Colon Cancer Prevention and TherapyQing Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Combined Computational and Wet Lab Screening for Drugs Tested via OATsSanjay K Nigam; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal is to identify highly specific substrates for the nasally expressed organic anion transporters, Oat1 and Oat6, thereby allowing for efficient intranasal delivery and transport of drugs to the CNS. ..
- Risk reduction through polyamine inhibition among colorectal carcinoma patientsJASON ZELL; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- A Prospective Study of Colorectal Cancer: One-Carbon Metabolism and InflammationCornelia M Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2012..Through this research, we will learn more about how to prevent colorectal cancer and about possible public health recommendations based on genetic characteristics. ..
- Discontinuing NSAIDs in Veterans with Knee OsteoarthritisLiana Fraenkel; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed strategy is particularly appealing because it replaces the widespread use of NSAIDs with a safer alternative, enables delivery of care to Veterans with limited access, and is likely to be cost saving. ..
- Chemopreventive effect of fish oil derived EPA in lung cancerPeiying Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal intends to define a novel targeted natural chemopreventive agent against lung cancer. ..
- NSAID-Phosphatidylcholine Association: Insight in GI Ulcer Pathogenesis/TherapyLenard M Lichtenberger; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, by pre-associating soy PC with NSAIDs we have developed a novel family GI-safer, therapeutically effective PC-NSAIDs that can be made available to the public using an accelerated FDA regulatory pathway. ..
- NSAIDs During Postpartum Involution for Breast Cancer ChemopreventionPepper J Schedin; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. pregnancies per year. ..
- (R)-flurbiprofen Substrate-Selective Inhibition of COX-2 and Analog DevelopmentDaniel Hermanson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The drugs may also be applicable to treatment of several prevalent medical conditions that endocannabinoids have been shown to play a role including Alzheimer's disease, drug dependency, obesity, and depression. ..
- Registry Study of Parkinsons Disease in DenmarkBeate R Ritz; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research cannot be performed in the US due to a lack of population PD registries that would provide access to such a large number of cases and valid methods for control recruitment from the general population. ..
- Does underrecognition of kidney disease affect patient safety?Jeffrey C Fink; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Diet, Activity, and Lifestyle as a Risk Factor for Colorectal CancerMartha L Slattery; Fiscal Year: 2012..Identification of polymorphisms or haplotypes that are relevant to colorectal cancer will advance our understanding of etiology, may lead to specific health recommendations, and can identify targets for drug therapy. ..
- Massachusetts Center for Birth Defects Research and PreventionAllen A Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, the MCBDRP will utilize and evaluate, where possible, multiple communication pathways to raise awareness of NBDPS findings and their implications. ..
- Disparities in Breast Cancer: Development and Survival in Hispanic and NHW WomenMartha L Slattery; Fiscal Year: 2013..These genetic factors will be evaluated with survival to determine their contribution to survival differences observed for Hispanic and NHW women. ..
- Who benefits from Colorectal Cancer Screening? A subgroup Analysis of the MinnesAasma Shaukat; Fiscal Year: 2013..We are interested in exploring the relationship between consumption of NSAIDs, high fiber diet and BMI as effect modifiers of effectiveness of screening. ..
- Prostaglandins in C. elegans FertilizationMichael A Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Regardless, basic research on prostaglandins in the C. elegans gonad has the potential for discovering molecular mechanisms of human infertility, contraception, and cancer. ..
- PERIPHERAL NOCICEPTORS IN PERSISTENT PAINPATRICK WILLIAM MANTYH; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our goal is to better understand the peripheral nerves that drive fracture pain, determine whether nerves regulate fracture healing and test whether novel therapies reduce fracture pain without unwanted side effects. ..
- MECHANICAL LOADING OF BONE AND PROSTAGLANDINSCarol C Pilbeam; Fiscal Year: 2010..A better understanding of how mechanical loading regulates bone may help us to develop better therapies for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. ..
- Aldo-keto reductase family 1 member B10 AKR1B10 in pancreatic carcinogenesisGuang Yu Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Novel Mechanisms of NSAID-induced GI ToxicityJames D Lillich; Fiscal Year: 2012..This research may help reduce or eliminate the loss of billions of dollars per year due to medical complications resulting from NSAID-induced GI toxicity. ..
- Prostanoid signaling and inflammation in aging and Alzheimer's diseaseKatrin I Andreasson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our findings will be relevant to the development of novel therapeutic strategies targeting pro- inflammatory pathways in AD. ..
- Signaling cascades and memory deficits during agingThomas C Foster; Fiscal Year: 2010..The long range goal is to provide interventions to delay, prevent, or treat cognitive decline associated with unsuccessful aging in order to improve the health and well- being of older Americans ..
- Chemopreventive Effect of NSAIDs Against Prostate CancerBhagavathi Narayanan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Clear delineation of the chemopreventive efficacy of celecoxib and exisulind in this preclinical model of prostate cancer will allow the rational design of human clinical trials. ..
- Clavulanic acid: a potential abuse-deterrent and CNS-active therapeuticScott M Rawls; Fiscal Year: 2012..Utilization of this proven strategy here may identify a novel CNS-active therapeutic, in much the same way that valproic acid is used to manage prostate cancer and NSAIDs are used to manage Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Androgen signaling in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)Zhou Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Elucidating the mechanism(s) of abnormal androgen signaling elevation in BPH may lead to new approaches for BPH prevention and/or treatment. ..
- Prostaglandins and Cerebellum DevelopmentMargaret M McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Understanding how inflammation and the medications taken to treat it impact on the developing cerebellum will provide important mechanistic insight into the origins of these disorders of mental health. ..
- Mechanisms for NSAID Alzheimer PreventionGregory M Cole; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- The Nashville Breast Health StudyWei Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2009..Studies investigating gene-gene and gene-environment interaction could provide valuable information in identifying high-risk individuals for designing cost-effective preventive strategies for breast cancer. ..
- Prostaglandin E2 Signaling in Growth and Pains of EndometriosisJoe A Arosh; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is a R21 application addresses the mission of NIH/NICHD on women's reproduction health. ..
- Treatment of SLE with ajulemic acid, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid derivativeMeggan Mackay; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Blocking a novel cytokine signaling pathway for the treatment of rheumatoid arthrKirill Ostanin; Fiscal Year: 2013..By the end of Phase II, we will have a set of prioritized leads and will be well-positioned to begin IND-enabling preclinical studies. ..
- Migraine, Migraine Medication Use, and Risk of Breast CancerChristopher I Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women in the United States and is the 2nd leading cause of cancer mortality;therefore, identifying new risk factors for breast cancer is of considerable public health importance. ..
- Type II 11B-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase and Colorectal TumorigenesisMingzhi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Functional Analysis of Cyclooxygenase-2Lawrence J Marnett; Fiscal Year: 2013..These substrate-selective inhibitors may represent candidate cancer chemopreventive agents that lack the gastrointestinal and cardiovascular side effects of currently marketed NSAIDs. ..
- Signaling cascades and memory deficits during agingThomas C Foster; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- A Novel Class of Therapeutic Agents for the Treatment of Skin Diseases AssociatedJoel S Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. atopic dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis). ..
- Nsaid Effects on Clinical and Imaging Breast BiomarkersPATRICIA ANN THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Success in this phase II biomarker trial of sulindac combined with AI will serve as justification for a larger trial with cancer specific outcomes. ..
- Pro & Anti-Inflammatory Cytokines in Colorectal CancerGLORIA YF HO; Fiscal Year: 2010..These high-risk individuals may benefit from prophylactic NSAIDS for prevention of colorectal cancer. ..
- Risk Factors for Hearing LossGary C Curhan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use a multidisciplinary approach to examine the association between these common factors and the risk of hearing loss. ..
- Convergence of the COX-2 and 5-lipoxygenase pathwaysClaus Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2013..Novel therapeutic applications of available anti- inflammatory medications are imminent. ..
- Eicosanoid regulation of experimental Lyme arthritisCharles R Brown; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information will further our understanding of how inflammation is regulated and allow the design of more effective anti-inflammatory treatments. ..
- mPGES-1/EP1 in volume regulationTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..New information resulted from this proposal will help define PGE cascades in the control of ECFV. ..
- Effects of NSAIDs on the genesis of streptococcal myonecrosis after traumaAmy Evelyn Bryant; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Development of a novel agent for lung cancer preventionArun Kumar Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2013..Long term, validation of p-XS- Asp as an effective and safe agent would reduce the chances of developing lung cancer, particularly, in smokers/former smokers thereby directly decreasing the mortality incidence. ..
- Preclinical Pharmacogenomics and Synaptic Biomarkers for Alzheimer's DiseaseGregory M Cole; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Control of Arthritic Pain by Inhibition of TRPA1 ActivityJEFF MARK HERZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..The anticipated Phase 2 program will consist of animal efficacy testing in multiple OA models and conducting pharmacokinetic studies in multiple animal species using oral dosing to enable the filing of an IND. ..
- Nuclear Hormone Receptor in Intestinal BiologyRAYMOND NELSON DUBOIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of the experiments proposed here may lead to the design of novel approaches for prevention and/or treatment of colorectal cancer. ..
- Rectal Indomethacin to Prevent of Post-ERCP Pancreatitis in High Risk PatientsBadih Joseph Elmunzer; Fiscal Year: 2012..The objective of this study is to set up an infrastructure of medical centers that can determine, in a scientifically rigorous fashion, if indomethacin reduces the risk of pancreatitis after ERCP. ..
- Mechanisms of Triterpenoids in Prevention of Prostate CancerSubhash C Gautam; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Phosphodiesterase 5: A Novel Target and Inhibitor for Breast Cancer ChemopreventiGary A Piazza; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goals of these studies are to validate PDE5 as an anticancer target, determine its potential role in cancer, and identify a safe and effective tadalafil derivative for preclinical drug development. ..
- Biophysical Basis of Organization and Dynamics of Prestin Membrane ComplexesRobert M Raphael; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- The Role of Bioactive Lipids in Inflammation and CancerRAYMOND NELSON DUBOIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Information gained from these studies will be important for achieving the long-term goal of reducing the cancer burden and revealing more effective ways to prevent cancer. ..
- Alcohol Injury Healing, Cytoprotection and SurvivinMichael Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009..Information gained from these studies will lead to better understanding of the mechanisms underlying ETOH-induced injury and will provide for the development of better therapeutics for treating ETOH-induced injury. ..
- PREVENTION OF ULCER HEMORRHAGE BY H PYLORI ERADICATIONDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- ETHNIC DISPARITY IN THE USE OF JOINT ARTHROPLASTYDENNIS ANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Program Director, Munro Peacock, M.D., was appointed in July 1987. The GCRC was ..
- Clinical Evaluation of GI Safer Naproxen for the Treatment of OsteoarthritisUPENDRA K MARATHI; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- GI-Safer Naproxen Formulation R&D for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis and RelatedUpendra Marathi; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- DOXYCYCLINE EFFECT ON OSTEOARTHRITIS PROGRESSIONKenneth Brandt; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study should answer the question whether oral treatment with doxy - a relatively safe, readily available and inexpensive drug with which decades of clinical experience have accrued - can modify the natural history of OA in humans. ..
- Cancer Prevention by West African Medicinal PlantsMichael Wargovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have unique access to actual plants with purported anti-inflammatory activity used by actual traditional healers in West Africa. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Combined Chemoprevention in Beta-Catenin Mutant MiceGayle Orner; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Combined effects of tea plus NSAIDS towards colon cancerGayle Orner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS FOR CHEMOPREVENTION OF COLON CANCERCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue distribution and comparative metabolism studies of curcumin and PEMC will be studied with synthetic [3H] curcumin and [3H]-PEMC in vivo in male F-344 rats. ..
- Flavocoxid: A Medical Food Therapy for OsteoarthritisSarah Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2004..This innovative compound has commercial potential with its expected efficacy comparable to or exceeding the currently marketed COX inhibitors but with fewer side effects and at a significantly lower cost. ..