Genomes and Genes
histamine h2 antagonists
Summary: Drugs that selectively bind to but do not activate histamine H2 receptors, thereby blocking the actions of histamine. Their clinically most important action is the inhibition of acid secretion in the treatment of gastrointestinal ulcers. Smooth muscle may also be affected. Some drugs in this class have strong effects in the central nervous system, but these actions are not well understood.
Publications185 found, 100 shown here
- Fracture risk in patients receiving acid-suppressant medication alone and in combination with bisphosphonatesF De Vries
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiteit Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 20:1989-98. 2009..Positive associations were observed for any hip and vertebral fracture. The effect size was modest; however, the significance lies in the widespread prescribing of acid suppressants...
- Acid-suppressive medications and risk of bone loss and fracture in older adultsElaine W Yu
Endocrine Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Thier 1101, 50 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 83:251-9. 2008..The use of PPIs in older women, and perhaps older men with low calcium intake, may be associated with a modestly increased risk of nonspine fracture...
- Proton pump inhibitors, histamine H2 receptor antagonists, and other antacid medications and the risk of fractureP Vestergaard
The Osteoporosis Clinic, Aarhus Amtssygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Tage Hansens Gade 2, DK 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark
Calcif Tissue Int 79:76-83. 2006..In all cases, the changes in risk estimates were small and the clinical significance was limited...
- Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of colorectal cancer: a population-based, case-control studyDouglas J Robertson
VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Gastroenterology 133:755-60. 2007....
- Gastric acid suppression and risk of oesophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma: a nested case control study in the UKL A Garcia Rodriguez
Department of Surgery, P9 03, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Gut 55:1538-44. 2006..Gastric acid suppressing drugs (that is, histamine(2) receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors) could affect the risk of oesophageal or gastric adenocarcinoma but few studies are available...
- Cimetidine increases survival of colorectal cancer patients with high levels of sialyl Lewis-X and sialyl Lewis-A epitope expression on tumour cellsS Matsumoto
Department of Surgery, Second Teaching Hospital, School of Medicine, Fujita Health University, 3 6 10 Otohbashi, Nakagawa Ku, Nagoya 454 8509, Japan
Br J Cancer 86:161-7. 2002..0% and that of control group was 85.7% (P=n.s.)). These results clearly indicate that cimetidine treatment dramatically improved survival in colorectal cancer patients with tumour cells expressing high levels of sL(x) and sL(a)...
- Gastro-protective action of lafutidine mediated by capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurons without interaction with TRPV1 and involvement of endogenous prostaglandinsKazuhiro Fukushima
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Yamashina, Kyoto 607, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 12:3031-7. 2006..It is assumed that lafutidine interacts with CSN at yet unidentified sites other than TRPV1...
- Ranitidine and cimetidine differ in their in vitro and in vivo effects on human colonic cancer growthJ A Lawson
UNSW Department of Surgery, The St George Hospital, Kogarah Sydney, Australia
Br J Cancer 73:872-6. 1996..LIM2412, another colonic cancer cell line, was significantly stimulated by both cimetidine and ranitidine in vivo. Ranitidine had no effect on in vitro cell proliferation...
- Effect of lafutidine, a histamine H2-receptor antagonist, on gastric mucosal blood flow and duodenal HCO3- secretion in rats: relation to capsaicin-sensitive afferent neuronsHiroshi Mimaki
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina, Kyoto 607-8414, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 47:2696-703. 2002..The luminal H+ itself is not a ligand for the RT-sensitive site of VR1 but plays a modulator role in the CSN-mediated physiological responses...
- Cimetidine, an unexpected anti-tumor agent, and its potential for the treatment of glioblastoma (review)Florence Lefranc
Department of Neurosurgery, Erasmus University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Oncol 28:1021-30. 2006....
- Long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy and risk of hip fractureYu Xiao Yang
Division of Gastroenterology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
JAMA 296:2947-53. 2006..Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may interfere with calcium absorption through induction of hypochlorhydria but they also may reduce bone resorption through inhibition of osteoclastic vacuolar proton pumps...
- Inhibition of neutrophil activation by lafutidine, an H2-receptor antagonist, through enhancement of sensory neuron activation contributes to the reduction of stress-induced gastric mucosal injury in ratsNaoaki Harada
Department of Biodefense Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 52:469-77. 2007..These observations suggest that lafutidine might reduce WIR-induced gastric mucosal injury not only by inhibiting acid secretion but also by inhibiting neutrophil activation through enhancement of sensory neuron activation...
- Gastroprotective mechanism of lafutidine, a novel anti-ulcer drug with histamine H2-receptor antagonistic activityS Onodera
Pharmaceuticals Research Laboratories, Fujirebio Inc, Tokyo, Japan
Arzneimittelforschung 49:519-26. 1999....
- Histamine H1 and H2 receptor antagonists accelerate skin barrier repair and prevent epidermal hyperplasia induced by barrier disruption in a dry environmentY Ashida
Skin Biology Research Laboratories, Life Science Research Center, Shiseido Research Center, 2 12 1 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 8643, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 116:261-5. 2001..In conclusion, both the histamine H1 and H2 receptors in the epidermis are involved in skin barrier function and the cutaneous condition of epidermal hyperplasia...
- Primary-care physicians' perceptions and practices on the management of GERD: results of a national surveyWilliam D Chey
University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 49109-0362, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:1237-42. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Our survey has identified a number of areas of controversy and confusion related to the management of GERD. We hope that our findings can assist in the development of educational materials on GERD for PCPs...
- Effects of a novel histamine H2-receptor antagonist, lafutidine, on the mucus barrier of human gastric mucosaTakafumi Ichikawa
Department of Biochemistry, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1800-5. 2007..Previous human studies have not assessed its gastroprotective effects. The purpose of the present study was to determine the effects of lafutidine on the human gastric mucus layer using both histological and biochemical methods...
- Stress ulcer prophylaxis in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trialIlona Kantorova
Traumatological Hospital Brno, Research Center for Traumatology and Surgery, Czech Republic
Hepatogastroenterology 51:757-61. 2004..Furthermore, our data suggested that especially gastric pH increasing medication could increase the risk for nosocomial pneumonia. Routine prophylaxis for stress-related bleeding even in high-risk patients seems not to be justified...
- Does cimetidine improve prospects for cancer patients?. A reappraisal of the evidence to dateC P Siegers
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
Digestion 60:415-21. 1999..Since then, several studies have appeared which suggest an anticancer activity for cimetidine, although few attempts have been made to corroborate their findings in large, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies...
- Protective effect of lafutidine, a novel histamine H2-receptor antagonist, on dextran sulfate sodium-induced colonic inflammation through capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurons in ratsMitsuaki Okayama
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina, Kyoto 607-8414, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 49:1696-704. 2004..This action might be attributable at least partly to the enhancement of colonic mucus secretion...
- Prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial of cimetidine in gastric cancer. British Stomach Cancer GroupM J Langman
Department of Medicine, CRC Institute for Cancer Studies, Clinical Research Block, The Medical School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Br J Cancer 81:1356-62. 1999..Cimetidine at a dose of 400 mg or 800 mg twice a day does not have a significant influence on the survival of patients with gastric cancer compared to placebo...
- A comparison of two prophylactic regimens for hypersensitivity reactions to paclitaxelJanice S Kwon
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A1, Canada
Gynecol Oncol 84:420-5. 2002....
- An effective and more convenient drug regimen for prophylaxis against paclitaxel-associated hypersensitivity reactionsM Markman
Department of Hematology Medical Oncology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 125:427-9. 1999....
- Efficacy and tolerability of 20 mg pantoprazole versus 300 mg ranitidine in patients with mild reflux-oesophagitis: a randomized, double-blind, parallel, and multicentre studyJ H Van Zyl
Department of Medicine and Gastroenterology at University of The Orange Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 12:197-202. 2000....
- Current guidelines on stress ulcer prophylaxisM Tryba
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Bochum, Germany
Drugs 54:581-96. 1997..The clinical relevance of nosocomial pneumonia due to gastric bacterial overgrowth has decreased during the past decade due to several changes in the management of critically ill patients...
- Intravenous proton-pump inhibitors versus H2-antagonists for treatment of GI bleedingRebecca M Huggins
Department of Pharmacy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:433-7. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Intravenous proton-pump inhibitors are suitable, possibly superior, alternatives to intravenous H(2)-receptor antagonists in treatment of upper GI bleeding...
- Lafutidine, a newly developed antiulcer drug, elevates postprandial intragastric pH and increases plasma calcitonin gene-related peptide and somatostatin concentrations in humans: comparisons with famotidineTomohiko Shimatani
Department of General Medicine, Hiroshima University Hospital, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 51:114-20. 2006..We concluded that lafutidine increases plasma concentrations of CGRP and somatostatin in humans, which may result in inhibition of postprandial acid secretion and gastroprotective activity...
- Standard-dose lansoprazole is more effective than high-dose ranitidine in achieving endoscopic healing and symptom relief in patients with moderately severe reflux oesophagitis. The Dutch Lansoprazole Study GroupJ B Jansen
Department of Gastroenterology, Academic Hospital Nijmegen St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 13:1611-20. 1999..In an attempt to compensate for the lower efficacy, H2-receptor antagonists are now increasingly being used at a higher dose...
- H(2) antagonist-induced thrombocytopenia: is this a real phenomenon?Emily E Wade
Department of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 304 Scaife Hall, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Intensive Care Med 28:459-65. 2002..We evaluate the literature to better define thrombocytopenia related to H(2) antagonist administration and discuss mechanism, potential as a risk factor and case reports describing the severity and duration of thrombocytopenia...
- Continuous infusion interleukin-2 and antihistamines in metastatic kidney cancerPaul R Walker
Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Medical University of Ohio at Toledo, Ruppert Center, 3120 Glendale Avenue, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 20:487-90. 2005..In this study of CIV IL-2 and antihistamines, this combination appears to be active in metastatic kidney cancer. There appears to be no negative effect of antihistamine on the CIV IL-2 response rate in this disease...
- Drugs for bleeding peptic ulcerP Netzer
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:645-6. 2002
- Vitamin B(12) deficiency associated with histamine(2)-receptor antagonists and a proton-pump inhibitorJ Mark Ruscin
Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262 0001, USA
Ann Pharmacother 36:812-6. 2002..To report a case of vitamin B(12) deficiency associated with long-term use (approximately 4 1/2 y) of histamine(2) (H(2))-receptor antagonists and a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) in a patient with gastroesophageal reflux...
- Combination drug therapy for gastroesophageal reflux diseaseL Brian Cross
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Pharmacoeconomics, College of Pharmacy, University of Tennessee, 847 Monroe Avenue, Suite 205 C, Memphis, TN 38163 2109, USA
Ann Pharmacother 36:912-6. 2002..To evaluate the role of combination therapy with proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) and histamine(2) receptor antagonists in gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)...
- The effect of rabeprazole alone or in combination with H2 receptor blocker on intragastric pH: a pilot studyMurat Toruner
Department of Gastroenterology, Ankara University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 15:225-8. 2004..The aim of our study was to evaluate the effects of proton pump inhibitors alone or in combination with H2 receptor blockers on gastric acidity with 24-hour gastric pH monitoring...
- Effects of three H2-receptor antagonists (cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine) on serum gastrin levelT Ohsawa
Chidoribashi Hospital Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacokinetics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Int J Clin Pharmacol Res 22:29-35. 2002..Gastrin level was highest in patients administered famotidine and lowest among those administered cimetidine. The pattern of gastrin change in patients administered ranitidine was intermediate between famotidine and cimetidine...
- The efficacy of lafutidine in improving preoperative gastric fluid property: a comparison with ranitidine and rabeprazoleTakanobu Uesugi
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kusunoki-cho 7, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
Anesth Analg 95:144-7, table of contents. 2002..Preoperative oral lafutidine may be an alternative to ranitidine as a prophylaxis against aspiration pneumonia...
- Effects of histamine H(2)-receptor antagonists on human plasma levels of calcitonin gene-related peptide, substance P and vasoactive intestinal peptideHiroki Itoh
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Oita Medical University, Hasama machi, Oita 879 5593, Japan
J Pharm Pharmacol 54:1559-63. 2002..The released CGRP and SP by ranitidine and nizatidine administration may produce a gastroprotective effect, increase mucosal blood flow, and inhibit acid secretion in the gastrointestinal tract...
- Determination of cimetidine, famotidine, and ranitidine hydrochloride in the presence of their sulfoxide derivatives in pure and dosage forms by high-performance thin-layer chromatography and scanning densitometryKhadiga M Kelani
Cairo University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Analytical Chemistry, Egypt
J AOAC Int 85:1015-20. 2002..The results obtained were analyzed statistically and compared with those obtained by the official methods...
- [Treatment of gastritis-associated Helicobacter pylori infection in children]Carlos Alberto Velasco Benítez
Pediatra, Gastroenterólogo y Nutriólogo, Universidad Industrial de Santander, Columbia
Rev Gastroenterol Peru 22:159-63. 2002..Finally, we include our personal experience in prevalence and management of Hp found in endoscopies...
- Determination of the time of onset of action of ranitidine and famotidine on intra-gastric acidityJ D Gardner
Science for Organizations, Inc, Chatham, NJ 07928, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1317-26. 2002..No standard methods exist for determining the onset of action of gastric antisecretory agents in human subjects...
- Alteration of intracellular histamine H2 receptor cycling precedes antagonist-induced upregulationSatoshi Osawa
First Dept of Medicine, Hamamatsu Univ School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 289:G880-9. 2005..These findings suggested that upon exposure to an antagonist (inverse agonist), the equilibrium between receptor endocytosis and recycling is altered before H2R upregulation, probably via suppressing H2R degradation...
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease: current treatment approachesWendy Biddle
Director 11:155-9. 2003
- Effects of ranitidine, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole on intragastric pH in dogsAlexa M E Bersenas
Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada
Am J Vet Res 66:425-31. 2005..Twice daily administration of a suspension of omeprazole, was the only regimen tested that approached the potential therapeutic efficacy for acid-related disease when assessed by criteria used for human patients...
- Omeprazole is more effective than a histamine H2-receptor blocker for maintaining a persistent elevation of gastric pH after colon resection for cancerTzu Chi Hsu
Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Surg 187:20-3. 2004..An assessment was made of the change and the effect of a histamine H(2)-receptor blocker (H(2)-blocker) or omeprazole on gastric pH after surgery...
- Is an intravenous histamine H2 receptor antagonist superior to an intravenous proton pump inhibitor in acid suppression?Yoshikazu Kinoshita
J Gastroenterol 39:92-3. 2004
- [Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease]Laszlo Herszenyi
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, II Belgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 144:2571-3. 2003
- [Bronchial asthma and gastroesophageal reflux disease: are they interrelated by chance?]N R Paleev
Klin Med (Mosk) 83:9-14. 2005
- Carrier-mediated uptake of H2-receptor antagonists by the rat choroid plexus: involvement of rat organic anion transporter 3Yoshinori Nagata
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 32:1040-7. 2004..These results suggest that rOat3 is the most likely candidate transporter involved in regulating the CSF concentration of H(2)-receptor antagonists at the CP...
- The effect of H2-receptor antagonist and proton pump inhibitor on microbial proliferation in the stomachKun Wang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Cardinal Tien Hospital and School of Medicine Fu-Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1540-3. 2004..The intra-gastric candidal infection was not related to intra-gastric pH or anti-secretory medication in this study...
- Effects of cimetidine-like drugs on recombinant GABAA receptorsKeri E Cannon
Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, Albany Medical College MC-136, 47 New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY 12206, USA
Life Sci 75:2551-8. 2004....
- Heartburn-dominant, uninvestigated dyspepsia: a comparison of 'PPI-start' and 'H2-RA-start' management strategies in primary care--the CADET-HR StudyD Armstrong
Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1189-202. 2005..There are few data on empiric, stepped therapy for heartburn relief or subsequent relapse in primary care...
- Development of an HPLC method for the determination of ranitidine and cimetidine in human plasma following SPEDragica Zendelovska
Institute of Preclinical and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Sts. Cyril and Methodius University, Medical Faculty, 50 Divizija bb, 1000 Skopje, Macedonia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 33:165-73. 2003..8 and 14% acetonitrile. The recovery, selectivity, linearity, precision and accuracy of the method were evaluated from spiked human plasma. The method has been implemented to monitor ranitidine levels in clinical samples...
- The efficacy of preanesthetic proton pump inhibitor treatment for patients on long-term H2 antagonist therapyKazuyoshi Hirota
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Hirosaki 036 8563, Japan
Anesth Analg 101:1038-41, table of contents. 2005..The present study suggests that a proton pump inhibitor may be effective for prophylaxis of acid aspiration pneumonia in patients showing the full tolerance to H2 antagonists...
- Gastroesophageal reflux and histamine2 antagonistsSusan Givens Bell
NICU, All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
Neonatal Netw 22:53-7. 2003
- [Helicobacter pylori eradication. Triple or quadruple therapy?, Long or short treatment?]X Calvet
Unitat de Malalties Digestives Hospital de Sabadell Institut Universitari Parc Taulí UAB Sabadell Barcelona España
Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:325-9. 2003
- [PPI: new strategies for GERD]Etsuo Hoshino
Department of Internal Medicine, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research
Nippon Rinsho 62:1570-6. 2004..A small number of GERD patients resistant to PPI therapy may be due to nocturnal acid breakthrough (NAB) or rapid metabolism of PPI (extensive metabolizer for CYP2C19)...
- Nasal pain disrupting sleep as a presenting symptom of extraesophageal acid reflux in childrenSeckin Ulualp
Department of Otolaryngology, University at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the Women and Children's Hospital, 219 Bryant Street, Buffalo, NY 14209, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1555-7. 2005..This is the first report documenting nasal pain resolved with acid suppressive therapy in a child with EERD. The incidence and pathogenesis of EERD induced nasal symptoms in children merits further investigation...
- Oesophageal acid-peptic strictures in the histamine H2 receptor antagonist and proton pump inhibitor eraA K Nayyar
Rotherham General Hospitals NHS Trust, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S60 2UD, UK
Dig Liver Dis 35:143-50. 2003..CONCLUSION: The incidence of stricture is low and remains unchanged, despite the increased prevalence of reflux disease. Most patients have a good prognosis, only half needing further forcible dilatation, mainly within the first 2 years...
- The impact of treatment for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease on health-related quality of life: a literature reviewManishi Prasad
MEDTAP International, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 21:769-90. 2003..Although there is evidence that treatment for GORD does improve symptoms and HR-QOL outcomes, further research is needed to more completely understand the value of medical therapy for GORD...
- Spermicidal efficacy of H2-receptor antagonists and potentiation with 2', 4'-dichlorobenzamil hydrochloride: role of intrasperm Ca2+A Gupta
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research, Punjabi University, 147 002, Patiala, India
Contraception 68:61-4. 2003..These results suggest that elevation of intrasperm Ca(2+) by H(2)-receptor antagonists plays a key role in influencing sperm viability...
- [Pharmacotherapy in complex treatment of ulcerous stenosis]N V Rukhliada
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 162:97-100. 2003..The results obtained show that it is necessary to determine the indications to operations in patients with ulcerous stenosis after complex conservative therapy and the reassessment of the degree of evacuatory disorders...
- [Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection in Europe: a meta-analysis based on congress abstracts, 1997-2002]György Miklós Buzás
Ferencvárosi Egészségügyi Szolgálat, Gasztroenterológia
Orv Hetil 145:2035-41. 2004..Meta-analyses evaluated several aspects of Helicobacter pylori eradication based on the randomised controlled trials...
- Long-term effect of H2RA therapy on nocturnal gastric acid breakthroughWilliam K Fackler
Center for Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders, Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Gastroenterology 122:625-32. 2002..Because of H2RA tolerance, there is no difference in acid suppression between PPI twice daily and PPI twice daily + H2RA after 1 week of combination therapy...
- Relationship between histamine2-receptor antagonist medications and risk of invasive breast cancerRobert W Mathes
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:67-72. 2008..The few previous studies evaluating this association have been null but have been limited by small sample sizes, and none have evaluated risk by either histologic type or estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor status...
- [The effect of H2 receptor blockers on renal function. An attempt to accurately measure glomerular filtration]Waldemar Motyl
, , 78-500 Drawsko Pomorskie
Ann Acad Med Stetin 50:97-105. 2004..The present findings suggest that the full dose of cimetidine is capable of inhibiting tubular transport of creatinine and thus may improve the accuracy of creatinine clearance measurements for the study of renal function...
- Effects of histamine 2 receptor antagonists on endothelial-neutrophil adhesion and surface expression of endothelial adhesion molecules induced by high glucose levelsYoshiyuki Takeuchi
Department of Internal Medicine and Bioregulation, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
J Diabetes Complications 21:50-5. 2007..These data suggest that cimetidine acts directly on endothelial cells to inhibit high-glucose-induced expression of adhesion molecules and neutrophil adhesion mediated by increasing endothelial NO production, but not by inhibiting PKC...
- Simple and universal HPLC-UV method to determine cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine and nizatidine in urine: application to the analysis of ranitidine and its metabolites in human volunteersDiane A I Ashiru
Department of Pharmaceutics, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX, UK
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 860:235-40. 2007..The assay was successfully applied to a human volunteer study using ranitidine as the model compound...
- Effect of histamine-2 receptor antagonists on blood alcohol levels: a meta-analysisD S Weinberg
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Gen Intern Med 13:594-9. 1998..Studies with larger numbers of participants were less likely to demonstrate this effect. Relative to accepted, legal definitions of intoxication, the effect of any H2RA on blood alcohol level is unlikely to be clinically relevant...
- [Safety of proton pump inhibitors]Juan V Esplugues
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultat de Medicina i Odontologia, Universitat de Valencia, Valencia, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 127:790-5. 2006..After two decades of use, PPIs have proved to be very effective and safe drugs...
- Fosinopril H(2)-receptor antagonists interaction studies by derivative spectroscopyNajma Sultana
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:19-25. 2007....
- In vitro interactions of captopril with H2-receptor antagonistsNajma Sultana
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:132-9. 2007..As a result, the availability of captopril was affected by the concurrent administration of H2-receptor antagonists. Accordingly coadministration of both the drugs should be avoided...
- [Pharmacological efficacy of bismuth tripotassium dicitrate in peptic ulcer]Iu B Belousov
Ter Arkh 79:58-66. 2007
- A new sensitive flow-injection chemiluminescence method for the determination of H(2)-receptor antagonistsYu Hai Tang
Institute of Analytical Chemistry, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, People s Republic of China
Luminescence 22:343-8. 2007..56 x 10(-10) g/mL for CIMT, 8.69 x 10(-10) g/mL for RANT hydrochloride and 2.35 x 10(-9) g/mL for FAMT (S:N = 3). This method has been successfully implemented for the analysis of H(2)-receptor antagonists in pharmaceuticals...
- In vitro availability studies of enoxacin in presence of H2 receptor antagonistsM Saeed Arayne
Department of Chemistry, University of Karachi Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:235-43. 2007....
- Comparison of the kinetic characteristics of inhibitory effects exerted by biguanides and H2-blockers on human and rat organic cation transporter-mediated transport: Insight into the development of drug candidatesK I Umehara
Drug Metabolism Research Laboratories, Drug Discovery Research, Azusawa, Tokyo, Japan
Xenobiotica 37:618-34. 2007..The acquisition of information on OCT/Oct mediated-transport and/or inhibition such as that presented in this report is very useful for further understanding of certain aspects of uptake, distribution, and excretion for drug candidates...
- [Modern attitude towards management of laryngopharyngeal form of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Lithuanian clinical practice guidelines for adults]Nora Siupsinskiene
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 43:832-9. 2007..Combined therapy for nonresponders is described. Algorithm for stopping the medication is recommended. These recommendations may provide an efficient and economical approach to the management of this problem...
- Histamine signaling through the H(2) receptor in the Peyer's patch is important for controlling Yersinia enterocolitica infectionScott A Handley
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9268-73. 2006..In this study, we provide evidence that histamine signaling through the histamine H(2) but not the H(1) receptor is important for controlling Y. enterocolitica infection within the Peyer's patches and mesenteric lymph nodes of mice...
- pH, healing rate, and symptom relief in patients with GERDJ Q Huang
Department of Medicine, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Yale J Biol Med 72:181-94. 1999....
- "Proton-pump inhibitor-first" strategy versus "step-up" strategy for the acute treatment of reflux esophagitis: a cost-effectiveness analysis in JapanYasuki Habu
Department of Gastroenterology, Saiseikai-Noe Hospital, 2-2-33 Imafuku-Higashi Joto-ku, Osaka 536-0002, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:1029-35. 2005....
- Spectrophotometric determination of H(2)-receptor antagonists via their oxidation with cerium(IV)Ibrahim A Darwish
Department of Pharmaceutical Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Assiut University, Assiut 71526, Egypt
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 69:33-40. 2008..3-102.6+/-0.57-1.90%) without interference from the common excipients. The results obtained by the proposed method were comparable with those obtained by the official methods...
- [Cause and prevention of nocturnal gastric acid breakthrough]Kyoichi Adachi
Department of Internal Medicine II, Shimane Medical University
Nippon Rinsho 60:779-83. 2002
- [A randomized, prospective, comparative, multicenter study of rabeprazole and ranitidine in the treatment of reflux esophagitis]Hyun Yong Jeong
Department of Internal Medicine, Chungnam National University College of Medicine, Chungnam, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 47:15-21. 2006..This study was done to evaluate the efficacy of rabeprazole (proton-pump-inhibitor) and ranitidine (H(2)-receptor antagonist) in the symptom relief and treatment of erosive esophagitis diagnosed by endoscopy...
- Management of heartburn in a large, randomized, community-based study: comparison of four therapeutic strategiesC W Howden
Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1704-10. 2001..CONCLUSION: Proton pump inhibitor treatment provides more consistent heartburn relief than an H2-receptor antagonist, or "step-up" or "step-down" therapy...
- [Activity of malondialdehyde in rat plasma after H2 histamine receptor blockade]B Burak
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 54:63-7. 1999..The level of the MDA was determined from the plasma and compared to the 1 mg of the blood protein. None of administered H2 blockers changed the malondialdehyde level in serum of the experimental rats...
- In vitro availability of metformin in presence of h(2) receptor antagonistsNajma Sultana
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi, Karachi-75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 19:28-34. 2006..On the other hand, increase in metformin concentration may result in hypoglycemic effects...
- Decrease of intragastric acidity in healthy subjects dosed with ranitidine 75 mg, cimetidine 200 mg, or placeboMark I Hamilton
Centre for Gastroenterology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Dig Dis Sci 47:54-7. 2002..043). The inhibitory effect of ranitidine, 75 mg, on intragastric acidity can be detected from 0-15 hr after an oral dose. Cimetidine 200 mg has little inhibitory effect beyond 10 hr...
- Therapy with gastric acidity inhibitors increases the risk of acute gastroenteritis and community-acquired pneumonia in childrenRoberto Berni Canani
Department of Pediatrics, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Pediatrics 117:e817-20. 2006..To test the hypothesis that GA suppression could be associated with an increased risk of acute gastroenteritis and pneumonia in children treated with GA inhibitors, we conducted a multicenter, prospective study...
- Duodenal ulcer and gastroesophageal reflux disease today: long-term therapy--a sideways glanceK D Bardhan
District General Hospital, Rotherham, United Kingdom
Yale J Biol Med 69:211-24. 1996..The new class of drug, the reversible proton pump blocker (e.g., BY841) approaches this requirement...
- Omeprazole. A review of its use in Helicobacter pylori infection, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and peptic ulcers induced by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsH D Langtry
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 56:447-86. 1998..pylori infections or as monotherapy in the treatment and prophylaxis of GORD with or without oesophagitis or NSAID-induced gastrointestinal damage...
- Participation of histamine H1 and H2 receptors in passive cutaneous anaphylaxis-induced scratching behavior in ICR miceN Inagaki
Department of Pharmacology, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 367:361-71. 1999..Histamine might also play an important role in compound 48/80-induced scratching behavior...
- Lansoprazole: an update of its place in the management of acid-related disordersA J Matheson
Adis International Limited, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 61:1801-33. 2001..Lansoprazole has emerged as a useful and well tolerated treatment option in the management of acid-related disorders...
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease: pathophysiology and pharmacology overviewE Z Dajani
International Drug Development Consultants IDDC Corporation, Long Grove, Illinois 60047 9532, USA
J Assoc Acad Minor Phys 11:7-11. 2000..Additional studies are clearly needed to address the unresolved treatment issues in GERD...
- Canadian Consensus Conference on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults - update 2004David Armstrong
Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University, Hamilton
Can J Gastroenterol 19:15-35. 2005..Since the last Canadian Consensus Conference in 1996, GERD management has evolved substantially...
- Effect of H2 antagonists on the differential secretion of triamterene and its sulfate conjugate metabolite by the isolated perfused rat kidneyM R Muirhead
Department of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology, University of Adelaide, Australia
Drug Metab Dispos 19:312-6. 1991The isolated perfused rat kidney model was used to examine the effect of the histamine H2 antagonists cimetidine, ranitidine, and famotidine and the organic anion inhibitor probenecid on the differential renal handling of triamterene and ..
- Gastroprokinetic activity of nizatidine during the digestive state in the dog and ratS Ueki
Central Research Laboratories, Zeria Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Saitama, Japan
Arzneimittelforschung 49:618-25. 1999..In comparison with famotidine and cimetidine, nizatidine may be different from other histamine H2-receptor antagonists and has unique properties other than its gastric antisecretory activity...
- Gastric and extragastric actions of the histamine antagonist ranitidine during posttraumatic sepsisR M Stewart
Department of Surgery Trauma Division, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163
Surgery 117:68-82. 1995b>Histamine H2 antagonists (e.g., ranitidine) are generally thought to specifically reduce gastric acid secretion and are commonly used for stress ulcer prophylaxis in critically ill patients because of their efficacy and safety profile...
- Use and costs of anti-secretory and cardiovascular co-medication in osteoarthritis patients treated with selective or non-selective NSAIDSSteven Simoens
Research Centre for Pharmaceutical Care and Pharmaco economics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Onderwijs en Navorsing 2, Herestraat 49, P O Box 521, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Pharm World Sci 28:309-17. 2006..This study aims to compare use and costs of anti-secretory and cardiovascular co-medication in osteoarthritis patients treated with selective or non-selective NSAIDs...
- Histamine H1 receptors are involved in mouse nasal allergic responses: a demonstration with H1 receptor-deficient miceRyoji Kayasuga
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Japan
Int Immunopharmacol 2:745-50. 2002..These results suggested that histamine H1 receptors play an important role in nasal allergy symptoms induced by histamine...
- Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux diseaseMichael Pettit
Clinical Pharmacy Unit, Royal Sussex Country Hospital, University of Brighton, Eastern Road, Brighton, BN2 5BE, UK
Pharm World Sci 27:432-5. 2005..There are no clear data to support either treatment strategy as a universal approach to all patients; consequently, physicians must always choose the course best suited to the individual patient...
- Role of the histamine system in nefopam-induced antinociception in micePhilippe Girard
Laboratoires Biocodex, Service de Pharmacologie, Zac de Mercières 60200 Compiègne, France
Eur J Pharmacol 503:63-9. 2004..In conclusion, nefopam analgesic activity is not mediated by histamine H1 or H2 receptors, but can be slightly modulated by histamine H3 receptors in mouse pain tests...
- A comparative study of the actions of histamine H2 receptor antagonists on transmission in the isolated superior cervical ganglion of the ratK A Alkadhi
Department of Pharmacology, University of Houston, Texas 77204 5515
Neuropharmacology 29:285-90. 1990..It is suggested that the ganglion effect may be due to the action of these agents on the acetylcholine receptor-ion channel complex in the postsynaptic membrane...
- Lansoprazole. An update of its pharmacological properties and clinical efficacy in the management of acid-related disordersH D Langtry
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 54:473-500. 1997..In addition to its efficacy in healing or maintenance treatment, it may provide more effective symptom relief than other comparator agents...
Research Grants105 found, 100 shown here
- CASE-CONTROL SURVEILLANCE OF SERIOUS ILLNESSES AND DRUGSLynn Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..One focus of CCS analyses will be the relation of the widely used drug classes, statins, histamine H2 antagonists, and selective serotonin uptake inhibitors, to risk of common cancers...
- Alzheimer's Disease Patient Registry (ADPR)Eric Larson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these studies will be invaluable to the development and testing of strategies to reduce the risk of AD and related conditions, and to reduce the burden of cognitive decline in the growing population of older persons. ..
- NSAIDS and Other Medications in Prostate Cancer EtiologyJanet Stanford; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of the study may provide unique insights on the pathogenesis of this complex disease and lead to innovative strategies for prostate cancer prevention. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF DEMENTIA IN CACHE COUNTY, UTAHJohn Breitner; Fiscal Year: 2001..These exposures will receive emphasis in the incidence phase of the study as a likely preface to randomized primary prevention trials. ..
- GASTRIC BIOLOGY OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2002..Understanding the means of survival and cytotoxicity of this pathogen will enable more rational treatment of peptic ulcer disease. ..
- The Gastric Biology of Helicobacter PyloriGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2009..A better understanding of effects of acid inhibition on H. pylori may allow improvement or replacement of triple therapy for eradication. ..
- GASTRIC ENTEROCHROMAFFIN-LIKE CELL IN ULCER DISEASEGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hence this approach will provide additional insights into mechanisms of regulation of gastric secretion and enable illuminated interpretation of the pathophysiology of peptic ulcer disease. ..
- THE GASTRIC ACID PUMP AS A TARGET FOR ULCER TREATMENTGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of the proposed research will further improve the agents used for the treatment of acid-related diseases and also our knowledge of the ATPase and cellular events involved in regulation of its activity. ..
- THE GASTRIC ACID PUMP AS A TARGET FOR ULCER TREATMENTGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- GASTRIC ENTEROCHROMAFFIN LIKE CELL IN ULCER DISEASEGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 1999..These data will allow a novel understanding of the peripheral regulation of gastric acid secretion as well as the exocytotic process in a non- excitable endocrine cell. ..
- The Gastric Biology of Helicobacter PyloriGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2010..A better understanding of effects of acid inhibition on H. pylori may allow improvement or replacement of triple therapy for eradication. ..
- NON-OPIOID ANALGESICS DERIVED FROM IMPROGANLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will help to discover the mechanism of action of this novel class of agents, and lead to the development of new pharmacotherapies for pain. ..
- P450 Epoxygenase Mechanisms of Opioid AnalgesiaLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will uncover new biochemical mechanisms for pain relief, and test a new group of chemicals for pain-relieving properties. This research could lead to the development of new, non-addicting pain relievers. ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2007..These collaborative experiments between pharmacologists, neurophysiologists and chemists will discover the mechanism of action of this novel class of agents and lead to the development of new, non-opioid pharmacotherapies for pain. ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANALGESIALINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 1992..These studies will enhance our knowledge of antinociceptive mechanisms, and may lead to the development of novel, clinically useful agents for the relief of pain...
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 1999..These studies will clarify the mechanisms by which MOR relieves pain, enhance the understanding of histaminergic antinociceptive mechanisms, and may lead to the discovery of non-addicting, novel medications for the treatment of pain. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Obesity, H pylori and Risk of Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Subsequently, in a case-control study, all newly diagnosed BE and randomly selected controls will be examined for the volume and activity of visceral obesity (CT scan and serum adipocytokines). ..
- Obesity, H pylori and Risk of Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Subsequently, in a case-control study, all newly diagnosed BE and randomly selected controls will be examined for the volume and activity of visceral obesity (CT scan and serum adipocytokines). ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Alzheimer Screening in Primary Care: PRISM-PC StudyMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future directions: We anticipate that participants' responses could guide the design of specific counseling and educational interventions to overcome a patients' reluctance to accept dementia screening. ..
- Mechanisms of Ductus Arteriosus RegulationJohn Reese; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will examine new roles for prostaglandins and their relationship with other vasoactive mediators during development. ..
- Risk Factors for Barrett's EsophagusBrian C Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2010..These questions are especially relevant given our nation's current obesity epidemic. ..
- Alzheimer Screening in Primary Care: PRISM-PC StudyMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2009..Future directions: We anticipate that participants' responses could guide the design of specific counseling and educational interventions to overcome a patients' reluctance to accept dementia screening. ..
- Epidemiology and Incidence of Barrett's EsophagusDouglas Corley; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study explores how hormones associated with body fat may change the way the body heals after an injury, and increase the risk of cells developing precancerous changes. ..
- Mechanisms of Ductus Arteriosus RegulationJOHN JEFFREY REESE; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will examine new roles for prostaglandins and their relationship with other vasoactive mediators during development. ..
- Risk Factors for Barrett's EsophagusBrian Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2007..M. Michael Wolfe, well-established investigators in health-services research. At the completion on the project, the candidate will have gained the experience to become an independent researcher in clinical epidemiology. ..
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will provide data that clinicians need to prescribe these widely used medications in a way that minimizes the risk of sudden cardiac death. ..
- Pharmacological Management of DeliriumMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2010..A major advantage of the proposed individualized intervention is reducing exposure to potentially harmful medications and using low dose of haloperidol during the critical early days of ICU care. ..
- VANDERBILT CENTER FOR EDUCATION/RESEARCH ON THERAPEUTICSWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2007..These projects are tightly linked to our theme/sub-theme and have the potential to materially improve clinical practice in highly vulnerable populations that often are under-represented in other research programs. ..
- PROSTAGLANDIN SIGNALING IN FEMALE REPRODUCTIONJohn Reese; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these experiments will enhance the understanding of maternal-fetal PG signaling, and are likely to provide new insights into premature or dysfunctional labor in women. ..
- Epidemiology and Incidence of Barrett's EsophagusDouglas Corley; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Enhancing Care for Hospitalized Older Adults with CIMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..