Genomes and Genes
histamine h2 antagonists
Summary: Drugs that selectively bind to but do not activate histamine H2 receptors, thereby blocking the actions of histamine. Their clinically most important action is the inhibition of acid secretion in the treatment of gastrointestinal ulcers. Smooth muscle may also be affected. Some drugs in this class have strong effects in the central nervous system, but these actions are not well understood.
Publications207 found, 100 shown here
- Gastric acid suppression and risk of oesophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma: a nested case control study in the UKL A Garcia Rodriguez
Department of Surgery, P9 03, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Gut 55:1538-44. 2006..Gastric acid suppressing drugs (that is, histamine(2) receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors) could affect the risk of oesophageal or gastric adenocarcinoma but few studies are available...
- Risk of Clostridium difficile diarrhea among hospital inpatients prescribed proton pump inhibitors: cohort and case-control studiesSandra Dial
Department of Critical Care, Montreal Chest Institute, QC
CMAJ 171:33-8. 2004..Reduced gastric acidity has been suggested as a risk factor, and we hypothesized that proton pump inhibitors, because of their potency, may be an independent risk factor for this problem...
- Long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy and risk of hip fractureYu Xiao Yang
Division of Gastroenterology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
JAMA 296:2947-53. 2006..Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may interfere with calcium absorption through induction of hypochlorhydria but they also may reduce bone resorption through inhibition of osteoclastic vacuolar proton pumps...
- Systematic review of the risk of enteric infection in patients taking acid suppressionJennifer Leonard
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 102:2047-56; quiz 2057. 2007..There have been concerns raised about the possible association of PPIs with enteric infections...
- Cimetidine enhances immune response of HBV DNA vaccination via impairment of the regulatory function of regulatory T cellsJunpeng Wang
State Key Laboratories of Agro biotechnology, College of Biological Science, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100094, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 372:491-6. 2008..Collectively these findings suggest that CIM enhances the immune responses of HBV DNA vaccine through the stimulation of pro-inflammatory and inhibition of anti-inflammatory cytokine expression patterns...
- Histaminergic signaling in the central nervous system of Daphnia and a role for it in the control of phototactic behaviorMatthew D McCoole
Department of Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, 700 University Avenue, Monroe, LA 71209, USA
J Exp Biol 214:1773-82. 2011..Taken collectively, our results show that an extensive histaminergic system is present in Daphnia species, including the visual system, and that this amine is involved in the control of phototaxis in these animals...
- Clostridium difficile infection in an urban medical center: five-year analysis of infection rates among adult admissions and association with the use of proton pump inhibitorsSuresh Jayatilaka
Division of Gastroenterology, School of Graduate Medical Education, Seton Hall University, South Orange, NY, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 37:241-7. 2007..73, 95%CI: 0.26 to 2.06; p = 0.5520). These data suggest that the widespread prescription of PPI for stress ulcer prophylaxis in acute care facilities may contribute to the increased incidence of CDAD...
- Differential risk of Clostridium difficile infection with proton pump inhibitor use by level of antibiotic exposureVanessa Stevens
Center For Health Outcomes, Pharmacoinformatics, and Epidemiology, SUNY Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Buffalo, NY, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 20:1035-42. 2011....
- Risk of Clostridium difficile infection with acid suppressing drugs and antibiotics: meta-analysisChun Shing Kwok
Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Am J Gastroenterol 107:1011-9. 2012..We aimed to perform a systematic review of incident and recurrent CDI in PPI users, and to evaluate the relative impact of concurrent antibiotic use, or switching acid suppression to histamine-2-receptor antagonists (H2RAs)...
- Clinical outcome and influencing factors of a new short-term quadruple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomized controlled trial (MACLOR study)Gerhard Treiber
Department of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University Hospital of Magdeburg, Leipziger Str 44, D 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Arch Intern Med 162:153-60. 2002..Short-term therapies for eradicating Helicobacter pylori in selected patients might offer advantages in terms of costs, compliance, and adverse effects in contrast to standard 1-week triple therapy...
- Roxatidine suppresses inflammatory responses via inhibition of NF-κB and p38 MAPK activation in LPS-induced RAW 264.7 macrophagesEu Jin Cho
Department of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, College of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Republic of Korea
J Cell Biochem 112:3648-59. 2011..Taken together, these results indicate that the anti-inflammatory properties of roxatidine in LPS-treated RAW 264.7 macrophages are mediated by the inhibition of NF-κB transcriptional activity and the p38 MAP kinase pathway...
- Science review: The use of proton pump inhibitors for gastric acid suppression in critical illnessStephen Brett
Department of Anaesthetics and Intensive Care, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Crit Care 9:45-50. 2005..This review seeks to present the pharmacological evidence that may inform decision-making about the prescription of drugs for prophylaxis of SRMD...
- An effective and more convenient drug regimen for prophylaxis against paclitaxel-associated hypersensitivity reactionsM Markman
Department of Hematology Medical Oncology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 125:427-9. 1999....
- Cimetidine-induced vascular cell apoptosis impairs testicular microvasculature in adult ratsFlávia L Beltrame
Department of Morphology and Genetics, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Histol Histopathol 27:1343-51. 2012..A possible antagonist effect of cimetidine on the H₂ receptors and/or androgen receptors in the vascular cells may be responsible for the impairment of the testicular microvasculature...
- Does famotidine enhance tumor infiltrating lymphocytes in breast cancer? Results of a randomized prospective pilot studyRajinder Parshad
Department of Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Acta Oncol 41:362-5. 2002..01). This study suggests that famotidine enhances tumor infiltrating lymphocytes in breast cancer and might have potential as an immunomodulator. A larger confirmatory study is suggested...
- Cimetidine inhibits salivary gland tumor cell adhesion to neural cells and induces apoptosis by blocking NCAM expressionMasakatsu Fukuda
Second Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Sciences, Meikai University School of Dentistry, 1 1 Keyakidai, Sakado, Saitama 350 0283, Japan
BMC Cancer 8:376. 2008..We further demonstrated that cimetidine inhibited NCAM expression and induced apoptosis in HSG cells. Here, we investigated the effects of cimetidine on growth and perineural/neural invasion of salivary gland tumor cells...
- Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of colorectal cancer: a population-based, case-control studyDouglas J Robertson
VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Gastroenterology 133:755-60. 2007....
- Proton pump inhibitors, histamine H2 receptor antagonists, and other antacid medications and the risk of fractureP Vestergaard
The Osteoporosis Clinic, Aarhus Amtssygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Tage Hansens Gade 2, DK 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark
Calcif Tissue Int 79:76-83. 2006..In all cases, the changes in risk estimates were small and the clinical significance was limited...
- A comparison of two prophylactic regimens for hypersensitivity reactions to paclitaxelJanice S Kwon
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A1, Canada
Gynecol Oncol 84:420-5. 2002....
- A new mechanism for anti-inflammatory actions of proton pump inhibitors--inhibitory effects on neutrophil-endothelial cell interactionsN Yoshida
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:74-81. 2000..Neutrophil-endothelial cell interactions mediated by adhesion molecules may be involved in gastric mucosal inflammation associated with Helicobacter pylori or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs...
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux diseasePaul Moayyedi
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University Medical Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Lancet 367:2086-100. 2006..The role of endoscopic therapy is uncertain. Anti-reflux surgery is probably as effective as PPI therapy although there is a low operative mortality and morbidity...
- A case-control study on adverse effects: H2 blocker or proton pump inhibitor use and risk of vitamin B12 deficiency in older adultsRobert J Valuck
School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E 9th Ave, C 238, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 57:422-8. 2004..The purpose of this study was to examine the possible association between use of prescription histamine H-2 receptor antagonists (H2RA) or proton pump inhibitors (PPI) and vitamin B(12) deficiency in older adults...
- Histamine inhibits the production of interleukin-12 through interaction with H2 receptorsT C van der Pouw Kraan
CLB, Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation, Department of Auto Immune Diseases, Laboratory for Experimental and Clinical Immunology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, 1066CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Invest 102:1866-73. 1998..The observation that histamine strongly reduces the production of the Th1-inducing cytokine IL-12 implies a positive feedback mechanism for the development of Th2 responses in atopic patients...
- Acid-suppressive medications and risk of bone loss and fracture in older adultsElaine W Yu
Endocrine Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Thier 1101, 50 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 83:251-9. 2008..The use of PPIs in older women, and perhaps older men with low calcium intake, may be associated with a modestly increased risk of nonspine fracture...
- [Effect of maintenance therapy by H2RA on the recurrence of gastric and duodenal ulcer and on the occurrence of reflux esophagitis, gastric erosions, and duodenal erosions after H. pylori eradication]Shingo Maeyama
Department of Gastroenterology, Osaka Rosai Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 63:512-5. 2005
- Histamine potently suppresses human IL-12 and stimulates IL-10 production via H2 receptorsI J Elenkov
Arthritis and Rheumatism Branch, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 161:2586-93. 1998....
- Lafutidine, a newly developed antiulcer drug, elevates postprandial intragastric pH and increases plasma calcitonin gene-related peptide and somatostatin concentrations in humans: comparisons with famotidineTomohiko Shimatani
Department of General Medicine, Hiroshima University Hospital, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 51:114-20. 2006..We concluded that lafutidine increases plasma concentrations of CGRP and somatostatin in humans, which may result in inhibition of postprandial acid secretion and gastroprotective activity...
- Fracture risk in patients receiving acid-suppressant medication alone and in combination with bisphosphonatesF De Vries
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiteit Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 20:1989-98. 2009..Positive associations were observed for any hip and vertebral fracture. The effect size was modest; however, the significance lies in the widespread prescribing of acid suppressants...
- Meta-analysis: proton pump inhibitor or H2-receptor antagonist for Helicobacter pylori eradicationD Y Graham
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:1229-36. 2003..To compare H2-receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors as adjuvants to triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication...
- Anti-ulcer drugs promote IgE formation toward dietary antigens in adult patientsEva Untersmayr
Center of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
FASEB J 19:656-8. 2005..In line with our previous animal experiments, our data strongly suggest that anti-ulcer treatment primes the development of IgE toward dietary compounds in long-term acid-suppressed patients...
- Cimetidine increases survival of colorectal cancer patients with high levels of sialyl Lewis-X and sialyl Lewis-A epitope expression on tumour cellsS Matsumoto
Department of Surgery, Second Teaching Hospital, School of Medicine, Fujita Health University, 3 6 10 Otohbashi, Nakagawa Ku, Nagoya 454 8509, Japan
Br J Cancer 86:161-7. 2002..0% and that of control group was 85.7% (P=n.s.)). These results clearly indicate that cimetidine treatment dramatically improved survival in colorectal cancer patients with tumour cells expressing high levels of sL(x) and sL(a)...
- Histamine H1 and H2 receptor antagonists accelerate skin barrier repair and prevent epidermal hyperplasia induced by barrier disruption in a dry environmentY Ashida
Skin Biology Research Laboratories, Life Science Research Center, Shiseido Research Center, 2 12 1 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 8643, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 116:261-5. 2001..In conclusion, both the histamine H1 and H2 receptors in the epidermis are involved in skin barrier function and the cutaneous condition of epidermal hyperplasia...
- Gastro-protective action of lafutidine mediated by capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurons without interaction with TRPV1 and involvement of endogenous prostaglandinsKazuhiro Fukushima
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Yamashina, Kyoto 607, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 12:3031-7. 2006..We compared the effect between lafutidine and capsaicin, with respect to the interaction with endogenous prostaglandins (PG), nitric oxide (NO) and the afferent neurons, including transient receptor potential vanilloid subtype 1 (TRPV1)...
- Cimetidine, an unexpected anti-tumor agent, and its potential for the treatment of glioblastoma (review)Florence Lefranc
Department of Neurosurgery, Erasmus University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Oncol 28:1021-30. 2006....
- Does cimetidine improve prospects for cancer patients?. A reappraisal of the evidence to dateC P Siegers
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
Digestion 60:415-21. 1999..Since then, several studies have appeared which suggest an anticancer activity for cimetidine, although few attempts have been made to corroborate their findings in large, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies...
- Effect of lafutidine, a histamine H2-receptor antagonist, on gastric mucosal blood flow and duodenal HCO3- secretion in rats: relation to capsaicin-sensitive afferent neuronsHiroshi Mimaki
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 47:2696-703. 2002..The luminal H+ itself is not a ligand for the RT-sensitive site of VR1 but plays a modulator role in the CSN-mediated physiological responses...
- Primary-care physicians' perceptions and practices on the management of GERD: results of a national surveyWilliam D Chey
University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 49109 0362, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:1237-42. 2005..Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is frequently managed by primary-care physicians (PCPs) although little is known about their current practices and management patterns...
- Gastroprotective mechanism of lafutidine, a novel anti-ulcer drug with histamine H2-receptor antagonistic activityS Onodera
Pharmaceuticals Research Laboratories, Fujirebio Inc, Tokyo, Japan
Arzneimittelforschung 49:519-26. 1999....
- Inhibition of neutrophil activation by lafutidine, an H2-receptor antagonist, through enhancement of sensory neuron activation contributes to the reduction of stress-induced gastric mucosal injury in ratsNaoaki Harada
Department of Biodefense Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 52:469-77. 2007..These observations suggest that lafutidine might reduce WIR-induced gastric mucosal injury not only by inhibiting acid secretion but also by inhibiting neutrophil activation through enhancement of sensory neuron activation...
- Effects of a novel histamine H2-receptor antagonist, lafutidine, on the mucus barrier of human gastric mucosaTakafumi Ichikawa
Department of Biochemistry, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1800-5. 2007..Previous human studies have not assessed its gastroprotective effects. The purpose of the present study was to determine the effects of lafutidine on the human gastric mucus layer using both histological and biochemical methods...
- Ranitidine and cimetidine differ in their in vitro and in vivo effects on human colonic cancer growthJ A Lawson
UNSW Department of Surgery, The St George Hospital, Kogarah Sydney, Australia
Br J Cancer 73:872-6. 1996..LIM2412, another colonic cancer cell line, was significantly stimulated by both cimetidine and ranitidine in vivo. Ranitidine had no effect on in vitro cell proliferation...
- Protective effect of lafutidine, a novel histamine H2-receptor antagonist, on dextran sulfate sodium-induced colonic inflammation through capsaicin-sensitive afferent neurons in ratsMitsuaki Okayama
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 49:1696-704. 2004..This action might be attributable at least partly to the enhancement of colonic mucus secretion...
- Vitamin B(12) deficiency associated with histamine(2)-receptor antagonists and a proton-pump inhibitorJ Mark Ruscin
Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 E Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262 0001, USA
Ann Pharmacother 36:812-6. 2002..To report a case of vitamin B(12) deficiency associated with long-term use (approximately 4 1/2 y) of histamine(2) (H(2))-receptor antagonists and a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) in a patient with gastroesophageal reflux...
- Stress ulcer prophylaxis in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trialIlona Kantorova
Traumatological Hospital Brno, Research Center for Traumatology and Surgery, Czech Republic
Hepatogastroenterology 51:757-61. 2004..There are conflicting data on the efficacy and complication rates of various prophylactic regimens...
- Proton pump inhibitors and risk of gastric cancer: a population-based cohort studyA H Poulsen
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Strandboulevarden 49, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Cancer 100:1503-7. 2009....
- Prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial of cimetidine in gastric cancer. British Stomach Cancer GroupM J Langman
Department of Medicine, CRC Institute for Cancer Studies, Clinical Research Block, The Medical School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Br J Cancer 81:1356-62. 1999..Cimetidine at a dose of 400 mg or 800 mg twice a day does not have a significant influence on the survival of patients with gastric cancer compared to placebo...
- H(2) antagonist-induced thrombocytopenia: is this a real phenomenon?Emily E Wade
Department of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 304 Scaife Hall, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Intensive Care Med 28:459-65. 2002..We evaluate the literature to better define thrombocytopenia related to H(2) antagonist administration and discuss mechanism, potential as a risk factor and case reports describing the severity and duration of thrombocytopenia...
- Efficacy and tolerability of 20 mg pantoprazole versus 300 mg ranitidine in patients with mild reflux-oesophagitis: a randomized, double-blind, parallel, and multicentre studyJ H Van Zyl
Department of Medicine and Gastroenterology at University of The Orange Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 12:197-202. 2000....
- Intravenous proton-pump inhibitors versus H2-antagonists for treatment of GI bleedingRebecca M Huggins
Department of Pharmacy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:433-7. 2003..To evaluate the evidence supporting the use of intravenous proton-pump inhibitors in the treatment of gastrointestinal (GI) hemorrhage in comparison with histamine(2) (H(2))-receptor antagonists...
- Current guidelines on stress ulcer prophylaxisM Tryba
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Bochum, Germany
Drugs 54:581-96. 1997..The clinical relevance of nosocomial pneumonia due to gastric bacterial overgrowth has decreased during the past decade due to several changes in the management of critically ill patients...
- Standard-dose lansoprazole is more effective than high-dose ranitidine in achieving endoscopic healing and symptom relief in patients with moderately severe reflux oesophagitis. The Dutch Lansoprazole Study GroupJ B Jansen
Department of Gastroenterology, Academic Hospital Nijmegen St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 13:1611-20. 1999..In an attempt to compensate for the lower efficacy, H2-receptor antagonists are now increasingly being used at a higher dose...
- [Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection in Europe: a meta-analysis based on congress abstracts, 1997-2002]György Miklós Buzás
Ferencvárosi Egészségügyi Szolgálat, Gasztroenterológia
Orv Hetil 145:2035-41. 2004..Meta-analyses evaluated several aspects of Helicobacter pylori eradication based on the randomised controlled trials...
- In vitro availability studies of enoxacin in presence of H2 receptor antagonistsM Saeed Arayne
Department of Chemistry, University of Karachi Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:235-43. 2007....
- Alteration of intracellular histamine H2 receptor cycling precedes antagonist-induced upregulationSatoshi Osawa
First Dept of Medicine, Hamamatsu Univ School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 289:G880-9. 2005..These findings suggested that upon exposure to an antagonist (inverse agonist), the equilibrium between receptor endocytosis and recycling is altered before H2R upregulation, probably via suppressing H2R degradation...
- Development of an HPLC method for the determination of ranitidine and cimetidine in human plasma following SPEDragica Zendelovska
Institute of Preclinical and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Sts Cyril and Methodius University, Medical Faculty, 50 Divizija bb, 1000 Skopje, Macedonia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 33:165-73. 2003..8 and 14% acetonitrile. The recovery, selectivity, linearity, precision and accuracy of the method were evaluated from spiked human plasma. The method has been implemented to monitor ranitidine levels in clinical samples...
- Nasal pain disrupting sleep as a presenting symptom of extraesophageal acid reflux in childrenSeckin Ulualp
Department of Otolaryngology, University at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the Women and Children s Hospital, 219 Bryant Street, Buffalo, NY 14209, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1555-7. 2005..This is the first report documenting nasal pain resolved with acid suppressive therapy in a child with EERD. The incidence and pathogenesis of EERD induced nasal symptoms in children merits further investigation...
- [Pharmacotherapy in complex treatment of ulcerous stenosis]N V Rukhliada
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 162:97-100. 2003..The results obtained show that it is necessary to determine the indications to operations in patients with ulcerous stenosis after complex conservative therapy and the reassessment of the degree of evacuatory disorders...
- Spermicidal efficacy of H2-receptor antagonists and potentiation with 2', 4'-dichlorobenzamil hydrochloride: role of intrasperm Ca2+A Gupta
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research, Punjabi University, 147 002, Patiala, India
Contraception 68:61-4. 2003..These results suggest that elevation of intrasperm Ca(2+) by H(2)-receptor antagonists plays a key role in influencing sperm viability...
- The impact of treatment for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease on health-related quality of life: a literature reviewManishi Prasad
MEDTAP International, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 21:769-90. 2003..Although there is evidence that treatment for GORD does improve symptoms and HR-QOL outcomes, further research is needed to more completely understand the value of medical therapy for GORD...
- Oesophageal acid-peptic strictures in the histamine H2 receptor antagonist and proton pump inhibitor eraA K Nayyar
Rotherham General Hospitals NHS Trust, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S60 2UD, UK
Dig Liver Dis 35:143-50. 2003..We present a survey on the incidence, demography and natural history (re-dilatation rates) of patients with oesophageal acid-peptic stricture seen between 1977 and 1995...
- The efficacy of preanesthetic proton pump inhibitor treatment for patients on long-term H2 antagonist therapyKazuyoshi Hirota
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Hirosaki 036 8563, Japan
Anesth Analg 101:1038-41, table of contents. 2005..05) were at risk. These data suggest that in patients receiving H2-antagonist therapy for longer than 4 wk, prophylaxis for acid aspiration pneumonia should include preanesthetic PPI medication...
- [Helicobacter pylori eradication. Triple or quadruple therapy?, Long or short treatment?]X Calvet
Unitat de Malalties Digestives Hospital de Sabadell Institut Universitari Parc Taulí UAB Sabadell Barcelona España
Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:325-9. 2003
- Gastroesophageal reflux and histamine2 antagonistsSusan Givens Bell
NICU, All Children s Hospital, St Petersburg, Florida, USA
Neonatal Netw 22:53-7. 2003
- Continuous infusion interleukin-2 and antihistamines in metastatic kidney cancerPaul R Walker
Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Medical University of Ohio at Toledo, Ruppert Center, 3120 Glendale Avenue, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 20:487-90. 2005..In this study of CIV IL-2 and antihistamines, this combination appears to be active in metastatic kidney cancer. There appears to be no negative effect of antihistamine on the CIV IL-2 response rate in this disease...
- Heartburn-dominant, uninvestigated dyspepsia: a comparison of 'PPI-start' and 'H2-RA-start' management strategies in primary care--the CADET-HR StudyD Armstrong
Division of Gastroenterology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1189-202. 2005..There are few data on empiric, stepped therapy for heartburn relief or subsequent relapse in primary care...
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease: current treatment approachesWendy Biddle
Director 11:155-9. 2003
- Effects of ranitidine, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole on intragastric pH in dogsAlexa M E Bersenas
Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada
Am J Vet Res 66:425-31. 2005..To identify the normal gastric acid secretion profile in dogs and determine the degree of gastric acid suppression associated with 4 gastric acid suppressants...
- Therapy with gastric acidity inhibitors increases the risk of acute gastroenteritis and community-acquired pneumonia in childrenRoberto Berni Canani
Department of Pediatrics, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Pediatrics 117:e817-20. 2006..To test the hypothesis that GA suppression could be associated with an increased risk of acute gastroenteritis and pneumonia in children treated with GA inhibitors, we conducted a multicenter, prospective study...
- Relationship between histamine2-receptor antagonist medications and risk of invasive breast cancerRobert W Mathes
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:67-72. 2008..The few previous studies evaluating this association have been null but have been limited by small sample sizes, and none have evaluated risk by either histologic type or estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor status...
- Effects of cimetidine-like drugs on recombinant GABAA receptorsKeri E Cannon
Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, Albany Medical College MC 136, 47 New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY 12206, USA
Life Sci 75:2551-8. 2004....
- The effect of H2-receptor antagonist and proton pump inhibitor on microbial proliferation in the stomachKun Wang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Cardinal Tien Hospital and School of Medicine Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1540-3. 2004..The purpose of this study was to investigate the microbial condition of the stomach in patients who received H2-receptor antagonist or proton pump inhibitor...
- [PPI: new strategies for GERD]Etsuo Hoshino
Department of Internal Medicine, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research
Nihon Rinsho 62:1570-6. 2004..A small number of GERD patients resistant to PPI therapy may be due to nocturnal acid breakthrough (NAB) or rapid metabolism of PPI (extensive metabolizer for CYP2C19)...
- Carrier-mediated uptake of H2-receptor antagonists by the rat choroid plexus: involvement of rat organic anion transporter 3Yoshinori Nagata
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 32:1040-7. 2004..These results suggest that rOat3 is the most likely candidate transporter involved in regulating the CSF concentration of H(2)-receptor antagonists at the CP...
- Simple and universal HPLC-UV method to determine cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine and nizatidine in urine: application to the analysis of ranitidine and its metabolites in human volunteersDiane A I Ashiru
Department of Pharmaceutics, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX, UK
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 860:235-40. 2007..The assay was successfully applied to a human volunteer study using ranitidine as the model compound...
- [Modern attitude towards management of laryngopharyngeal form of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Lithuanian clinical practice guidelines for adults]Nora Siupsinskiene
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 43:832-9. 2007..Combined therapy for nonresponders is described. Algorithm for stopping the medication is recommended. These recommendations may provide an efficient and economical approach to the management of this problem...
- Comparison of the kinetic characteristics of inhibitory effects exerted by biguanides and H2-blockers on human and rat organic cation transporter-mediated transport: Insight into the development of drug candidatesK I Umehara
Drug Metabolism Research Laboratories, Drug Discovery Research, Azusawa, Tokyo, Japan
Xenobiotica 37:618-34. 2007..The acquisition of information on OCT/Oct mediated-transport and/or inhibition such as that presented in this report is very useful for further understanding of certain aspects of uptake, distribution, and excretion for drug candidates...
- [Bronchial asthma and gastroesophageal reflux disease: are they interrelated by chance?]N R Paleev
Klin Med (Mosk) 83:9-14. 2005
- [Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease]Laszlo Herszenyi
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, II Belgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 144:2571-3. 2003
- Is an intravenous histamine H2 receptor antagonist superior to an intravenous proton pump inhibitor in acid suppression?Yoshikazu Kinoshita
J Gastroenterol 39:92-3. 2004
- Omeprazole is more effective than a histamine H2-receptor blocker for maintaining a persistent elevation of gastric pH after colon resection for cancerTzu Chi Hsu
Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Surg 187:20-3. 2004..An assessment was made of the change and the effect of a histamine H(2)-receptor blocker (H(2)-blocker) or omeprazole on gastric pH after surgery...
- A new sensitive flow-injection chemiluminescence method for the determination of H(2)-receptor antagonistsYu Hai Tang
Institute of Analytical Chemistry, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, People s Republic of China
Luminescence 22:343-8. 2007..56 x 10(-10) g/mL for CIMT, 8.69 x 10(-10) g/mL for RANT hydrochloride and 2.35 x 10(-9) g/mL for FAMT (S:N = 3). This method has been successfully implemented for the analysis of H(2)-receptor antagonists in pharmaceuticals...
- Effects of three H2-receptor antagonists (cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine) on serum gastrin levelT Ohsawa
Chidoribashi Hospital Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacokinetics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Int J Clin Pharmacol Res 22:29-35. 2002..Gastrin level was highest in patients administered famotidine and lowest among those administered cimetidine. The pattern of gastrin change in patients administered ranitidine was intermediate between famotidine and cimetidine...
- [Pharmacological efficacy of bismuth tripotassium dicitrate in peptic ulcer]Iu B Belousov
Ter Arkh 79:58-66. 2007
- In vitro interactions of captopril with H2-receptor antagonistsNajma Sultana
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:132-9. 2007..As a result, the availability of captopril was affected by the concurrent administration of H2-receptor antagonists. Accordingly coadministration of both the drugs should be avoided...
- Decrease of intragastric acidity in healthy subjects dosed with ranitidine 75 mg, cimetidine 200 mg, or placeboMark I Hamilton
Centre for Gastroenterology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Dig Dis Sci 47:54-7. 2002..043). The inhibitory effect of ranitidine, 75 mg, on intragastric acidity can be detected from 0-15 hr after an oral dose. Cimetidine 200 mg has little inhibitory effect beyond 10 hr...
- Fosinopril H(2)-receptor antagonists interaction studies by derivative spectroscopyNajma Sultana
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:19-25. 2007....
- [Safety of proton pump inhibitors]Juan V Esplugues
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultat de Medicina i Odontologia, Universitat de Valencia, Valencia, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 127:790-5. 2006..After two decades of use, PPIs have proved to be very effective and safe drugs...
- Management of heartburn in a large, randomized, community-based study: comparison of four therapeutic strategiesC W Howden
Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1704-10. 2001..CONCLUSION: Proton pump inhibitor treatment provides more consistent heartburn relief than an H2-receptor antagonist, or "step-up" or "step-down" therapy...
- Effects of histamine 2 receptor antagonists on endothelial-neutrophil adhesion and surface expression of endothelial adhesion molecules induced by high glucose levelsYoshiyuki Takeuchi
Department of Internal Medicine and Bioregulation, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
J Diabetes Complications 21:50-5. 2007..These data suggest that cimetidine acts directly on endothelial cells to inhibit high-glucose-induced expression of adhesion molecules and neutrophil adhesion mediated by increasing endothelial NO production, but not by inhibiting PKC...
- [A randomized, prospective, comparative, multicenter study of rabeprazole and ranitidine in the treatment of reflux esophagitis]Hyun Yong Jeong
Department of Internal Medicine, Chungnam National University College of Medicine, Chungnam, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 47:15-21. 2006..This study was done to evaluate the efficacy of rabeprazole (proton-pump-inhibitor) and ranitidine (H(2)-receptor antagonist) in the symptom relief and treatment of erosive esophagitis diagnosed by endoscopy...
- In vitro availability of metformin in presence of h(2) receptor antagonistsNajma Sultana
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 19:28-34. 2006..On the other hand, increase in metformin concentration may result in hypoglycemic effects...
- [Activity of malondialdehyde in rat plasma after H2 histamine receptor blockade]B Burak
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 54:63-7. 1999..The level of the MDA was determined from the plasma and compared to the 1 mg of the blood protein. None of administered H2 blockers changed the malondialdehyde level in serum of the experimental rats...
- [The effect of H2 receptor blockers on renal function. An attempt to accurately measure glomerular filtration]Waldemar Motyl
Z Oddziału Wewnetrznego Szpitala Powiatowego w Drawsku Pomorskim, ul Bolesława Chrobrego 4, 78 500 Drawsko Pomorskie
Ann Acad Med Stetin 50:97-105. 2004..The present findings suggest that the full dose of cimetidine is capable of inhibiting tubular transport of creatinine and thus may improve the accuracy of creatinine clearance measurements for the study of renal function...
- pH, healing rate, and symptom relief in patients with GERDJ Q Huang
Department of Medicine, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Yale J Biol Med 72:181-94. 1999....
- Histamine signaling through the H(2) receptor in the Peyer's patch is important for controlling Yersinia enterocolitica infectionScott A Handley
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9268-73. 2006..In this study, we provide evidence that histamine signaling through the histamine H(2) but not the H(1) receptor is important for controlling Y. enterocolitica infection within the Peyer's patches and mesenteric lymph nodes of mice...
- Drugs for bleeding peptic ulcerP Netzer
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:645-6. 2002
- Long-term effect of H2RA therapy on nocturnal gastric acid breakthroughWilliam K Fackler
Center for Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders, Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Gastroenterology 122:625-32. 2002..Controversy exists over its efficacy because of H2RA intolerance. No prospective study has addressed this issue...
- Effects of histamine H(2)-receptor antagonists on human plasma levels of calcitonin gene-related peptide, substance P and vasoactive intestinal peptideHiroki Itoh
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Oita Medical University, Hasama machi, Oita 879 5593, Japan
J Pharm Pharmacol 54:1559-63. 2002..The released CGRP and SP by ranitidine and nizatidine administration may produce a gastroprotective effect, increase mucosal blood flow, and inhibit acid secretion in the gastrointestinal tract...
- Determination of cimetidine, famotidine, and ranitidine hydrochloride in the presence of their sulfoxide derivatives in pure and dosage forms by high-performance thin-layer chromatography and scanning densitometryKhadiga M Kelani
Cairo University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Analytical Chemistry, Egypt
J AOAC Int 85:1015-20. 2002..The results obtained were analyzed statistically and compared with those obtained by the official methods...
- Spectrophotometric determination of H(2)-receptor antagonists via their oxidation with cerium(IV)Ibrahim A Darwish
Department of Pharmaceutical Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Assiut University, Assiut 71526, Egypt
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 69:33-40. 2008..3-102.6+/-0.57-1.90%) without interference from the common excipients. The results obtained by the proposed method were comparable with those obtained by the official methods...
- Determination of the time of onset of action of ranitidine and famotidine on intra-gastric acidityJ D Gardner
Science for Organizations, Inc, Chatham, NJ 07928, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1317-26. 2002..No standard methods exist for determining the onset of action of gastric antisecretory agents in human subjects...
Research Grants105 found, 100 shown here
- CASE-CONTROL SURVEILLANCE OF SERIOUS ILLNESSES AND DRUGSLynn Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..One focus of CCS analyses will be the relation of the widely used drug classes, statins, histamine H2 antagonists, and selective serotonin uptake inhibitors, to risk of common cancers...
- Alzheimer's Disease Patient Registry (ADPR)Eric Larson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these studies will be invaluable to the development and testing of strategies to reduce the risk of AD and related conditions, and to reduce the burden of cognitive decline in the growing population of older persons. ..
- NSAIDS and Other Medications in Prostate Cancer EtiologyJanet Stanford; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of the study may provide unique insights on the pathogenesis of this complex disease and lead to innovative strategies for prostate cancer prevention. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF DEMENTIA IN CACHE COUNTY, UTAHJohn Breitner; Fiscal Year: 2001..These exposures will receive emphasis in the incidence phase of the study as a likely preface to randomized primary prevention trials. ..
- GASTRIC BIOLOGY OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2002..Understanding the means of survival and cytotoxicity of this pathogen will enable more rational treatment of peptic ulcer disease. ..
- The Gastric Biology of Helicobacter PyloriGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2009..A better understanding of effects of acid inhibition on H. pylori may allow improvement or replacement of triple therapy for eradication. ..
- GASTRIC ENTEROCHROMAFFIN-LIKE CELL IN ULCER DISEASEGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hence this approach will provide additional insights into mechanisms of regulation of gastric secretion and enable illuminated interpretation of the pathophysiology of peptic ulcer disease. ..
- THE GASTRIC ACID PUMP AS A TARGET FOR ULCER TREATMENTGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of the proposed research will further improve the agents used for the treatment of acid-related diseases and also our knowledge of the ATPase and cellular events involved in regulation of its activity. ..
- THE GASTRIC ACID PUMP AS A TARGET FOR ULCER TREATMENTGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- GASTRIC ENTEROCHROMAFFIN LIKE CELL IN ULCER DISEASEGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 1999..These data will allow a novel understanding of the peripheral regulation of gastric acid secretion as well as the exocytotic process in a non- excitable endocrine cell. ..
- The Gastric Biology of Helicobacter PyloriGeorge Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2010..A better understanding of effects of acid inhibition on H. pylori may allow improvement or replacement of triple therapy for eradication. ..
- NON-OPIOID ANALGESICS DERIVED FROM IMPROGANLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will help to discover the mechanism of action of this novel class of agents, and lead to the development of new pharmacotherapies for pain. ..
- P450 Epoxygenase Mechanisms of Opioid AnalgesiaLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will uncover new biochemical mechanisms for pain relief, and test a new group of chemicals for pain-relieving properties. This research could lead to the development of new, non-addicting pain relievers. ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2007..These collaborative experiments between pharmacologists, neurophysiologists and chemists will discover the mechanism of action of this novel class of agents and lead to the development of new, non-opioid pharmacotherapies for pain. ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANALGESIALINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 1992..These studies will enhance our knowledge of antinociceptive mechanisms, and may lead to the development of novel, clinically useful agents for the relief of pain...
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 1999..These studies will clarify the mechanisms by which MOR relieves pain, enhance the understanding of histaminergic antinociceptive mechanisms, and may lead to the discovery of non-addicting, novel medications for the treatment of pain. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Obesity, H pylori and Risk of Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Subsequently, in a case-control study, all newly diagnosed BE and randomly selected controls will be examined for the volume and activity of visceral obesity (CT scan and serum adipocytokines). ..
- Obesity, H pylori and Risk of Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Subsequently, in a case-control study, all newly diagnosed BE and randomly selected controls will be examined for the volume and activity of visceral obesity (CT scan and serum adipocytokines). ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Alzheimer Screening in Primary Care: PRISM-PC StudyMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future directions: We anticipate that participants' responses could guide the design of specific counseling and educational interventions to overcome a patients' reluctance to accept dementia screening. ..
- Mechanisms of Ductus Arteriosus RegulationJohn Reese; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will examine new roles for prostaglandins and their relationship with other vasoactive mediators during development. ..
- Risk Factors for Barrett's EsophagusBrian C Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2010..These questions are especially relevant given our nation's current obesity epidemic. ..
- Alzheimer Screening in Primary Care: PRISM-PC StudyMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2009..Future directions: We anticipate that participants' responses could guide the design of specific counseling and educational interventions to overcome a patients' reluctance to accept dementia screening. ..
- Epidemiology and Incidence of Barrett's EsophagusDouglas Corley; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study explores how hormones associated with body fat may change the way the body heals after an injury, and increase the risk of cells developing precancerous changes. ..
- Mechanisms of Ductus Arteriosus RegulationJOHN JEFFREY REESE; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will examine new roles for prostaglandins and their relationship with other vasoactive mediators during development. ..
- Risk Factors for Barrett's EsophagusBrian Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2007..M. Michael Wolfe, well-established investigators in health-services research. At the completion on the project, the candidate will have gained the experience to become an independent researcher in clinical epidemiology. ..
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will provide data that clinicians need to prescribe these widely used medications in a way that minimizes the risk of sudden cardiac death. ..
- Pharmacological Management of DeliriumMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2010..A major advantage of the proposed individualized intervention is reducing exposure to potentially harmful medications and using low dose of haloperidol during the critical early days of ICU care. ..
- VANDERBILT CENTER FOR EDUCATION/RESEARCH ON THERAPEUTICSWayne Ray; Fiscal Year: 2007..These projects are tightly linked to our theme/sub-theme and have the potential to materially improve clinical practice in highly vulnerable populations that often are under-represented in other research programs. ..
- PROSTAGLANDIN SIGNALING IN FEMALE REPRODUCTIONJohn Reese; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these experiments will enhance the understanding of maternal-fetal PG signaling, and are likely to provide new insights into premature or dysfunctional labor in women. ..
- Epidemiology and Incidence of Barrett's EsophagusDouglas Corley; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Enhancing Care for Hospitalized Older Adults with CIMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..