Genomes and Genes
Summary: Compounds or agents that combine with cyclooxygenase (PROSTAGLANDIN-ENDOPEROXIDE SYNTHASES) and thereby prevent its substrate-enzyme combination with arachidonic acid and the formation of eicosanoids, prostaglandins, and thromboxanes.
Publications300 found, 100 shown here
- Identification of novel cyclooxygenase-2 selective inhibitors using pharmacophore modelsAlbert Palomer
R and D Department, Laboratorios Menarini S A, Alfonso XII 587, 08918 Badalona, Spain
J Med Chem 45:1402-11. 2002..Compound 8a (LM-1685) was selected as a promising candidate for further pharmacological evaluation...
- Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor in manBurkhard Hinz
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology, University of Rostock, Schillingallee 70, D 18057 Rostock, Germany
FASEB J 22:383-90. 2008..In view of its substantial COX-2 inhibition, recently defined cardiovascular warnings for use of COX-2 inhibitors should also be considered for acetaminophen...
- Strategies to optimize treatment with NSAIDs in patients at risk for gastrointestinal and cardiovascular adverse eventsJames M Scheiman
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Clin Ther 32:667-77. 2010..However, NSAIDs have been associated with gastrointestinal (GI) toxicity. The cardiovascular (CV) toxicity associated with COX-2 inhibitors and some other NSAIDs further complicates the choice of therapy...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 is instrumental in Parkinson's disease neurodegenerationPeter Teismann
Neuroscience Research Laboratories of the Movement Disorder Division, Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:5473-8. 2003..Because of the safety record of the COX-2 inhibitors, and their ability to penetrate the blood-brain barrier, these drugs may be therapies for PD...
- IL-17 in synovial fluids from patients with rheumatoid arthritis is a potent stimulator of osteoclastogenesisS Kotake
The Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
J Clin Invest 103:1345-52. 1999....
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition by celecoxib reduces proliferation and induces apoptosis in angiogenic endothelial cells in vivoKathleen M Leahy
Pharmacia, Mail Zone AA4C, 700 Chesterfield Parkway, Chesterfield, Missouri 63017, USA
Cancer Res 62:625-31. 2002..2-3.0-fold) in response to celecoxib. Thus, the antitumor activity of celecoxib may be attributable, at least in part, to a direct effect on host stromal elements, such as the angiogenic vasculature...
- Effects of specific inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 on sodium balance, hemodynamics, and vasoactive eicosanoidsF Catella-Lawson
University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 289:735-41. 1999..Our data suggest that acute sodium retention by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in healthy elderly subjects is mediated by the inhibition of Cox-2, whereas depression of GFR is due to inhibition of Cox-1...
- Isolation of linoleic and alpha-linolenic acids as COX-1 and -2 inhibitors in rose hipA K Jäger
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 2, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Phytother Res 22:982-4. 2008..The COX-2/COX-1 ratio was 0.007 for linoleic acid and 0.2 for alpha-linolenic acid. Linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid contribute to the COX-1 and -2 inhibitory activity of rose hip...
- The cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor celecoxib has therapeutic effects in major depression: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled, add-on pilot study to reboxetineN Muller
Hospital for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 11:680-4. 2006..Moreover, the fact that treatment with an anti-inflammatory drug showed beneficial effects on MD indicates that inflammation is related to the pathomechanism of the disorder, although the exact mechanisms remain to become elucidated...
- Screening of ubiquitous plant constituents for COX-2 inhibition with a scintillation proximity based assayU Huss
Division of Pharmacognosy, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Biomedical Centre, Uppsala University, Box 574, SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
J Nat Prod 65:1517-21. 2002..This study showed that a COX-2-catalyzed PGE(2) assay using SPA is suitable for screening natural compounds with respect to COX-2 inhibition...
- Potential involvement of the cyclooxygenase-2 pathway in the regulation of tumor-associated angiogenesis and growth in pancreatic cancerJingsong Chu
Signal Transduction Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 2:1-7. 2003....
- Cardiovascular risk of celecoxib in 6 randomized placebo-controlled trials: the cross trial safety analysisScott D Solomon
Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circulation 117:2104-13. 2008..Our aim was to assess the cardiovascular risk associated with celecoxib in 3 dose regimens and to assess the relationship between baseline cardiovascular risk and effect of celecoxib on cardiovascular events...
- Cardiovascular risk and inhibition of cyclooxygenase: a systematic review of the observational studies of selective and nonselective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase 2Patricia McGettigan
Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine and Public Health, The University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
JAMA 296:1633-44. 2006....
- Breast-cancer-associated metastasis is significantly increased in a model of autoimmune arthritisLopamudra Das Roy
Department of Immunology, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, 13400 E, Shea Blvd, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
Breast Cancer Res 11:R56. 2009....
- Effects of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic n-3 fatty acids from fish oil and preferential Cox-2 inhibition on systemic syndromes in patients with advanced lung cancerLeandro C A Cerchietti
Translational Research Unit, Angel H Roffo Cancer Institute, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nutr Cancer 59:14-20. 2007..This study shows that by modulating the eicosanoid metabolism using a combination of n-3 fatty acids and cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, some of the signs and symptoms associated with a SIMS could be ameliorated...
- Celecoxib-loaded poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles prepared using a novel and controllable combination of diffusion and emulsification steps as part of the salting-out procedurePaul A McCarron
School of Pharmacy, Queens University Belfast, Medical Biology Centre, Belfast, UK
J Microencapsul 23:480-98. 2006....
- Inflammation in lung carcinogenesis: new targets for lung cancer chemoprevention and treatmentJay M Lee
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, UCLA Lung Cancer Research Program, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 66:208-17. 2008..The understanding of molecular mechanisms involved in inflammation and lung carcinogenesis provide insight for new drug development that target reversible, non-mutational events in the chemoprevention and treatment of lung cancer...
- Phase II nonrandomized study of the efficacy and safety of COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib on patients with cancer cachexiaGiovanni Mantovani
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
J Mol Med (Berl) 88:85-92. 2010..Therefore, phase III clinical trials are warranted to test the efficacy and safety of celecoxib...
- Ibuprofen in very preterm infants impairs renal function for the first month of lifeRachel Vieux
Maternite Regionale, Neonatal Department, Nancy University, Nancy, France
Pediatr Nephrol 25:267-74. 2010..Renal function of infants receiving ibuprofen should be carefully monitored and drugs that are eliminated by glomerular filtration handled cautiously during this period...
- Cyclooxygenase-2-dependent and -independent inhibition of proliferation of colon cancer cells by 5-aminosalicylic acidCarmine Stolfi
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier, 1 00133 Rome, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 75:668-76. 2008..Taken together our data indicate that 5-ASA causes both a COX-2-dependent and -independent inhibition of CRC cell growth...
- Cardiovascular effects of the cyclooxygenase inhibitorsWilliam B White
Division of Hypertension and Clinical Pharmacology, Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030-3940, USA
Hypertension 49:408-18. 2007
- Celecoxib and curcumin synergistically inhibit the growth of colorectal cancer cellsShahar Lev-Ari
Department of Cancer Prevention, Tel Aviv Medical Center, Israel
Clin Cancer Res 11:6738-44. 2005..This synergistic effect is clinically important because it can be achieved in the serum of patients receiving standard anti-inflammatory or antineoplastic dosages of celecoxib...
- Selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors inhibit growth and induce apoptosis of bladder cancerJason Gee
Department of Urology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oncol Rep 15:471-7. 2006..Induction of apoptosis in all three cell lines by celecoxib was associated with downregulation of Bcl-2. These changes occur independently of COX-2 expression levels suggesting the presence of a COX-2 independent pathway...
- Selective inhibition of interleukin-8-induced neutrophil chemotaxis by ketoprofen isomersC Bizzarri
Consorzio Biolaq, L'Aquila, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 61:1429-37. 2001..It is concluded that inhibition of IL-8 chemotaxis could represent a new clinical target for ketoprofen isomers and, in fact, contribute to the anti-inflammatory activity of NSAIDs...
- Nimesulide inhibits proliferation via induction of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in human gastric adenocarcinoma cell lineJian Ying Li
Department of Gastroenterology, Affiliated Union Hospital, Fujian Medical University, Fuzhou 350001, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:915-20. 2003..To evaluate the potential role of Nimesulide, a selective COX-2 inhibitor, in proliferation and apoptosis of gastric adenocarcinoma cells SGC7901...
- Amelioration of hippocampal neuronal damage after transient forebrain ischemia in cyclooxygenase-2-deficient miceTsutomu Sasaki
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita City, Osaka, Japan
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 24:107-13. 2004..These results of genetic disruption and chemical inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 show that inhibition of COX-2 ameliorates selective neuronal death after transient forebrain ischemia in mice...
- Prophylactic ibuprofen versus placebo in very premature infants: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialV Gournay
Service de réanimation pédiatrique et néonatale, hôpital de la Mère et de l Enfant, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU de Nantes, quai Moncousu, 44000 Nantes, France
Lancet 364:1939-44. 2004..We aimed to compare prophylactic and curative ibuprofen in the treatment of this abnormality in very premature infants...
- Multifaceted roles of cyclooxygenase-2 in lung cancerKaren Riedl
UCLA Lung Cancer Research Program, Department of Medicine, 37-131 CHS, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 10833 LeConte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1690, USA
Drug Resist Updat 7:169-84. 2004..In addition, delineation of how COX-2-dependent genes modulate the malignant phenotype will provide novel insights in lung cancer pathogenesis...
- Hyperinduction of cyclooxygenase-2-mediated proinflammatory cascade: a mechanism for the pathogenesis of avian influenza H5N1 infectionSuki M Y Lee
Department of Microbiology, Siriraj Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Infect Dis 198:525-35. 2008..These data provide a basis for the possible development of novel therapeutic interventions for the treatment of H5N1 disease, as adjuncts to antiviral drugs...
- Cyclooxygenase inhibitors induce the expression of the tumor suppressor gene EGR-1, which results in the up-regulation of NAG-1, an antitumorigenic proteinSeung Joon Baek
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, 111 TW Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Mol Pharmacol 67:356-64. 2005..NAG-1 seems to be an important downstream target protein of this transcription factor, EGR-1, and may mediate the chemopreventive activity of some NSAIDs...
- The cyclooxygenase inhibitor ibuprofen and the FLAP inhibitor MK886 inhibit pancreatic carcinogenesis induced in hamsters by transplacental exposure to ethanol and the tobacco carcinogen NNKH M Schuller
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, 2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 128:525-32. 2002....
- Induction of cyclooxygenase-2 accounts for restraint stress-induced oxidative status in rat brainJose L M Madrigal
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1579-88. 2003..These findings are discussed as possible damaging and/or adaptive roles for stress-induced COX-2 in the brain...
- Effects of celecoxib and rofecoxib on blood pressure and edema in patients > or =65 years of age with systemic hypertension and osteoarthritisAndrew Whelton
Universal Clinical Research Center, Inc, and The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21030 1603, USA
Am J Cardiol 90:959-63. 2002..7%) compared with the celecoxib group (4.7%) (p <0.05). Thus, in patients with controlled hypertension on a fixed antihypertensive regimen, careful monitoring of BP is warranted after the initiation of celecoxib or rofecoxib therapy...
- Role of COX-2 in epithelial-stromal cell interactions and progression of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breastMin Hu
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:3372-7. 2009....
- Cyclooxygenase-2--10 years laterBurkhard Hinz
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 300:367-75. 2002..The present review assesses recent advances in COX-2 research, with particular emphasis on new insights into pathophysiological and physiological functions of this isoenzyme...
- Prevention and 18-month outcomes of serious pulmonary hemorrhage in extremely low birth weight infants: results from the trial of indomethacin prophylaxis in pretermsKhalid Alfaleh
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 121:e233-8. 2008..We also compared the 18-month outcomes of infants with and without a serious pulmonary bleed...
- Expression of cyclooxygenase 2 in human malignant melanomaC Denkert
Institute of Pathology, , Berlin, Germany
Cancer Res 61:303-8. 2001..It remains to be investigated whether selective inhibitors of COX-2 might be useful for prevention or treatment of malignant melanoma...
- Inhibition of delayed rectifier potassium channels and induction of arrhythmia: a novel effect of celecoxib and the mechanism underlying itRoman V Frolov
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
J Biol Chem 283:1518-24. 2008..These observations reveal an unanticipated effect of celecoxib on Drosophila hearts and on heart cells from rats, implicating the inhibition of Kv2 channels as the mechanism underlying this effect...
- Targeting cyclooxygenase-2 in hematological malignancies: rationale and promiseM P Bernard
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Curr Pharm Des 14:2051-60. 2008..Therefore, Cox-2 selective inhibitors have promising therapeutic potential in patients suffering from certain hematological malignancies...
- MR monitoring of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition of angiogenesis in a human breast cancer model in ratsLaure S Fournier
Center for Pharmaceutical and Molecular Imaging, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Radiology 243:105-11. 2007....
- NSAIDs and apoptosisN R Jana
Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience Laboratory, National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, Gurgaon, India
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:1295-301. 2008..Both COX-2-dependent and COX-2-independent mechanisms are involved in NSAIDs-induced neoplastic growth. This article reviews the recent literature that has revealed various important mechanisms of NSAIDs-induced apoptosis...
- Gastrointestinal effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsBrendan J R Whittle
William Harvey Research Institute, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:301-13. 2003..The clinical outcome of the use of the second generation of coxibs, and the newer NO NSAIDs is now awaited...
- Structural and functional basis of cyclooxygenase inhibitionAnna L Blobaum
A. B. Hancock Jr. Memorial Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt Institute for Chemical Biology and Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Med Chem 50:1425-41. 2007
- Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is induced in rat brain after kainate-induced seizures and promotes neuronal death in CA3 hippocampusKenji Kawaguchi
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Brain Res 1050:130-7. 2005..These results suggest that COX-2 activity can contribute to epileptic neuronal injury and that selective COX-2 inhibitors are neuroprotective...
- Clinical pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of celecoxib: a selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitorN M Davies
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Pharmacokinet 38:225-42. 2000..As celecoxib is metabolised by CYP2C9, increased clinical vigilance is required during the coadministration of other substrates or inhibitors of this enzyme...
- Role of combination therapy with aromatase and cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in patients with metastatic breast cancerC Falandry
Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Ann Oncol 20:615-20. 2009..Careful monitoring during future trials will be necessary to accurately assess the risk-benefit ratio of combination therapy...
- Cyclooxygenases: structural, cellular, and molecular biologyW L Smith
Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 69:145-82. 2000..We further examine the evidence for independent signaling by PGHS-1 and PGHS-2, and the complex mechanisms for regulation of PGHS-2 gene expression...
- Molecular cloning of human prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase type II and demonstration of expression in response to cytokinesD A Jones
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
J Biol Chem 268:9049-54. 1993..3-kb message is required for increased prostacyclin biosynthesis. We conclude that expression of PHS II may have important pathophysiological effects in the vasculature...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor enhances the efficacy of a breast cancer vaccine: role of IDOGargi D Basu
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, and Mayo Clinic Arizona, 13400 East Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
J Immunol 177:2391-402. 2006..Thus, a novel mechanism of COX-2-induced immunosuppression via regulation of IDO has emerged that may have implications in designing future cancer vaccines...
- Changes in physicians' practice of prescribing cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor after market withdrawal of rofecoxib: a retrospective study of physician-patient pairs in TaiwanFei Yuan Hsiao
Institute of Health and Welfare Policy, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Ther 31:2618-27. 2009..Safety concerns regarding severe cardiovascular events associated with the use of selective cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitors resulted in the market withdrawal of rofecoxib in September 2004...
- Predictors of failed closure of patent ductus arteriosus with indomethacinN Y Boo
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Yaacob Latif, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur 56000, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 47:763-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine predictors of failed closure of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) following a single course of indomethacin in symptomatic preterm infants...
- Furosemide in preterm infants treated with indomethacin for patent ductus arteriosusPeter Andriessen
Department of Neonatology, Maxima Medical Centre, Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 98:797-803. 2009..To evaluate the effect of furosemide on renal function and water balance in preterm infants treated with indomethacin (3 x 0.2 mg/kg at 12-h intervals) for symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus. Patients and..
- Ibuprofen treatment for closure of patent ductus arteriosus is not associated with increased risk of neuropathologyMichelle Loeliger
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Pediatr Res 68:298-302. 2010..No overt cerebellar alterations were observed in either group. Ibuprofen treatment for PDA closure in the preterm baboon neonate is not associated with any increased risk of neuropathology or alterations to brain growth and development...
- Mechanisms of Kv2.1 channel inhibition by celecoxib--modification of gating and channel blockR V Frolov
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14214 3000, USA
Br J Pharmacol 159:405-18. 2010..1 and other ion channels. In this study, we investigated the mechanism of the action of celecoxib on K(v)2.1 channels...
- COX-2 inhibition improves immune system homeostasis and decreases liver damage in septic ratsBin Li
Department of General Surgery, the First Hospital of Lanzhou University, Gansu, China
J Surg Res 157:43-7. 2009..To evaluate cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibition by NS-398 in septic rats with respect to immunologic derangements and hepatic damage...
- Celecoxib shown effective in preventing colon polypsNancy J Nelson
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:665-7. 2006
- Potential cancer chemopreventive agents from Arbutus unedoEsperanza J Carcache-Blanco
Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences and Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Nat Prod Res 20:327-34. 2006..Activity in the JB6 cell transformation assay was found for pomolic acid 3-acetate (4). All isolates obtained were evaluated in a cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibition assay...
- Biochemistry of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitors and molecular pathology of COX-2 in neoplasiaE Fosslien
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 37:431-502. 2000..These findings might somewhat limit the use of presently available selective COX-2 inhibitors in cancer prevention but will probably not deter their successful application for the treatment of human cancers...
- Flavocoxid, a dual inhibitor of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase, blunts pro-inflammatory phenotype activation in endotoxin-stimulated macrophagesD Altavilla
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 157:1410-8. 2009..The anti-inflammatory activity, measured by protein and gene expression of inflammatory markers, of flavocoxid in rat peritoneal macrophages stimulated with Salmonella enteritidis lipopolysaccharide (LPS) was investigated...
- The additive antinociceptive interaction between WIN 55,212-2, a cannabinoid agonist, and ketorolacAhmet Ulugol
Department of Pharmacology, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Anesth Analg 102:443-7. 2006..This study demonstrated an additive antinociceptive interaction between WIN 55,212-2 and ketorolac in an inflammatory visceral pain model. The combination of cannabinoids and NSAIDs may have utility in the pharmacotherapy of pain...
- Discovery of cyclooxygenase inhibitors from medicinal plants used to treat inflammationHongmei Cao
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, University of Illinois College of Pharmacy, 833 S Wood Street, Chicago, IL, USA
Pharmacol Res 61:519-24. 2010..Roburic acid and phenethyl-trans-ferulate inhibited COX-1 and COX-2 equally. COX inhibition and the IC(50) values of most of these natural product ligands have not been reported previously...
- A review of the gastrointestinal safety data--a gastroenterologist's perspectiveAngel Lanas
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Clinico Universitario, C San Juan Bosco 15, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:ii3-10. 2010..To facilitate such studies a new endpoint, Clinically Significant Upper or Lower GI Events, has been introduced that captures both upper and lower GI events...
- Eudragit S-100 entrapped chitosan microspheres of valdecoxib for colon cancerNaveen K Thakral
Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, 110016, India
J Mater Sci Mater Med 21:2691-9. 2010..4 for 30 min, when applied to mucosal surface of freshly excised goat colon, showed good mucoadhesion. The drug release at pH 7.4 and good mucoadhesive property of the microspheres make the system ideal for colonic delivery...
- Efficacy and safety of flavocoxid, a novel therapeutic, compared with naproxen: a randomized multicenter controlled trial in subjects with osteoarthritis of the kneeRobert M Levy
Primus Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Scottsdale, AZ 85251, USA
Adv Ther 27:731-42. 2010..This study was designed to compare the effectiveness and safety of flavocoxid to naproxen in subjects with moderate to severe osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Flavocoxid, a dual inhibitor of cyclooxygenase-2 and 5-lipoxygenase, reduces pancreatic damage in an experimental model of acute pancreatitisF Polito
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, Section of Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 161:1002-11. 2010..We studied the effects of flavocoxid, a plant-derived dual inhibitor of COX-2 and 5-LOX, in a model of caerulein (CER)-induced acute pancreatitis...
- Low-dose aspirin, coxibs, and other NSAIDS: a clinical mosaic emergesCarlo Patrono
Department of Pharmacology, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
Mol Interv 9:31-9. 2009..In this Review, the authors offer an assessment of drug pharmacokinetics and enzyme physiology that reconciles cardiovascular appraisals from a wide array of clinical data...
- Cyclooxygenase-inhibiting nitric oxide donators for osteoarthritisJohn L Wallace
Farncombe Family Digestive Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Z5, Canada
Trends Pharmacol Sci 30:112-7. 2009..We provide an outline of the rationale for CINODs and their activity, in addition to an overview of the pre-clinical and clinical profile of the most advanced CINOD, naproxcinod...
- Cyclooxygenase inhibitors block uterine tumorigenesis in HMGA1a transgenic mice and human xenograftsFrancescopaolo Di Cello
Hematology Division, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:2090-5. 2008..Importantly, these drugs have lower toxicity than chemotherapeutic agents used to treat advanced-stage uterine cancers...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (etodolac, meloxicam, celecoxib, rofecoxib, etoricoxib, valdecoxib and lumiracoxib) for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review and economic evaluationY F Chen
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, UK
Health Technol Assess 12:1-278, iii. 2008....
- Synergy between enzyme inhibitors of fatty acid amide hydrolase and cyclooxygenase in visceral nociceptionPattipati S Naidu
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0613, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:48-56. 2009....
- Oxidative stress mediates chemical hypoxia-induced injury and inflammation by activating NF-κb-COX-2 pathway in HaCaT cellsChuntao Yang
Department of Physiology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
Mol Cells 31:531-8. 2011..In conclusion, our results demonstrated that oxidative stress mediates chemical hypoxia-induced injury and inflammatory response through activation of NF-κB-COX-2 pathway in HaCaT cells...
- Effects of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on parasite burden, anemia and oxidative stress in murine Trypanosoma cruzi infectionVera L Hideko Tatakihara
Departamento de Ciências Patológicas, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Parana, Brazil
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 52:47-58. 2008....
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in colorectal cancer prevention: pointNadir Arber
Integrated Cancer Prevention Center, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, 6 Weizmann Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:1852-7. 2008..Better patient selection and more effective and safer drugs are needed. Celecoxib is probably best used in a subset of individuals at moderate to high colorectal cancer risk and low risk of cardiovascular disease...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and paracetamol use in Queensland and in the whole of AustraliaNadia Barozzi
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Steele Building, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 8:196. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare the utilization of non selective NSAID, COX-2 inhibitors and paracetamol between Queensland and Australia...
- A cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitor compared with dexamethasone in a survival study of rats with intracerebral 9L gliosarcomasJana Portnow
The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Baltimore, MD 21231-1000, USA
Neuro Oncol 4:22-5. 2002..2). These results suggest that a selective COX-2 inhibitor appears to be as effective as dexamethasone in prolonging survival in a rat brain tumor model...
- Mechanisms of anti-proliferative effect of JTE-522, a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, on human liver cancer cellsTakakazu Nagahara
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tottori University School of Medicine, 36 1 Nishi cho, Yonago, Tottori 683 8504, Japan
Oncol Rep 18:1281-90. 2007..Our data demonstrate that JTE-522 inhibited the growth of HCC cells in a COX-2-independent manner, and that the growth inhibition was in part mediated by the cell cycle arrest and the upregulation of PPAR-gamma protein...
- Inhibition of cyclooxygenases by dipyroneS C Pierre
Pharmazentrum Frankfurt, ZAFES, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 151:494-503. 2007..Here, we aimed to investigate the effects of dipyrone on COX...
- Cancer preventive phytochemicals as speed breakers in inflammatory signaling involved in aberrant COX-2 expressionYoung Joon Surh
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 7:447-58. 2007....
- Anti-apoptotic effects of arachidonic acid and prostaglandin E2 in pancreatic beta-cellsAlexandros Papadimitriou
Beta Cell Development and Function Group, School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, King s College London, London, UK
Cell Physiol Biochem 20:607-16. 2007..We have now investigated the anti-apoptotic effects of AA and its metabolite, PGE(2), in the MIN6 mouse insulin-secreting beta-cell line and mouse islets...
- Cyclooxygenase inhibitors: a novel direction for Alzheimer's managementManish Nivsarkar
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, B V Patel Pharmaceutical Education and Research Development PERD Center, SG Highway, Thaltej, Ahmedabad 380 054, Gujarat, India
Pharmacol Rep 60:692-8. 2008..Further experimental work towards identifying the most efficacious COX-2 inhibitors, as well as the mechanism of action and the optimal dosage regimen should be executed...
- Role of coxibs in the strategies for gastrointestinal protection in patients requiring chronic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory therapyCorrado Blandizzi
Division of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 55, Pisa 56126, Italy
Pharmacol Res 59:90-100. 2009....
- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and cardiovascular riskOrly Vardeny
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705 2222, USA
Cardiol Clin 26:589-601. 2008....
- Cyclooxygenase-2 mediates the delayed cardioprotection induced by hydrogen sulfide preconditioning in isolated rat cardiomyocytesLi Fang Hu
Cardiovascular Biology Research Group, Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Pflugers Arch 455:971-8. 2008..In conclusion, we provided the first evidence that SP may produce delayed cardioprotection via K(ATP)/PKC dependent induction of COX-2 expression and via nitric oxide-induced COX-2 activation...
- NSAID use in individuals at risk of renal adverse events: an observational study to investigate trends in Australian veteransElizabeth E Roughead
Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre, Sansom Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
Drug Saf 31:997-1003. 2008..Randomized clinical trials had demonstrated fewer adverse gastrointestinal events with COX-2 inhibitors, but no difference with other adverse events, including adverse renal events. There was a rapid uptake of these medicines...
- NSAIDs: gastroprotection or selective COX-2 inhibitor?Andrew Dickman
Marie Curie Centre, Woolton, Liverpool, UK
Palliat Med 18:275-86. 2004..This review discusses the merits of both options and devises a treatment strategy for the safe and cost-effective use of these drugs in the palliative care population...
- Changes in osteoarthritis management by general practitioners in the COX2-inhibitor era-concomitant gastroprotective therapyStéphane Bouée
Cemka Eval, 43, boulevard du Maréchal Joffre, 92340 Bourg la Reine, France
Joint Bone Spine 71:214-20. 2004..We evaluated their use in the treatment of osteoarthritis by general practitioners, with special attention to concomitant prescription of gastroprotective agents...
- Multiple roles of COX-2 in tumor angiogenesis: a target for antiangiogenic therapyStephen Gately
Department of Translational Medicine, NeoPharm Inc, 150 Field Drive, Suite 195, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA
Semin Oncol 31:2-11. 2004....
- Cyclooxygenase involvement in thromboxane-dependent contraction in rat mesenteric resistance arteriesManlio Bolla
, Paris, France
Hypertension 43:1264-9. 2004..Inhibition by 3 chemically different cyclooxygenase inhibitors (ie, flurbiprofen, indomethacin, and aspirin) potently reduced the contraction to 27%, 25%, and 6% of ..
- Pathophysiology of vascular dysfunction in a rat model of chronic joint inflammationColin G Egan
Biological Sciences, University of Paisley, Paisley PA1 2BE, UK
J Physiol 557:635-43. 2004....
- Selective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase-2: a growing class of anti-inflammatory drugsI A Mardini
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Mol Interv 1:30-8. 2001....
- [Clinical pharmacology of selective inhibitors of cyclooxygenase-2]P Patrignani
Dipartimento di Medicina e Centro di Eccellenza sull'Invecchiamento, , Chieti
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 23:13-8, 37-40. 2003
- [Safety of selective inhibitors of inducible cyclooxygenase-2 taken for a long period]Dominique Lamarque
Unité d hépato gastroentérologie et service de chirurgie générale, Hotel Dieu, 1 place du parvis de Notre Dame, 75004 Paris
Bull Cancer 91:S117-24. 2004..The selective inhibitors may reduce the renal sodium excretion and increase the blood pressure, particularly in hypertensive patients whose the blood pressure has to be regularly checked...
- [Analgesic effects of cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors]Christian Jayr
DAAR Institut Gustave Roussy 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif
Bull Cancer 91:S125-31. 2004....
- Docking studies on NSAID/COX-2 isozyme complexes using contact statistics analysisGiuseppe Ermondi
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, V P Giuria 9, 1 10125 Torino, Italy
J Comput Aided Mol Des 18:683-96. 2004..We use a combination of a traditional docking procedure with a new computational tool (Contact Statistics analysis) that identifies the best orientation among a number of solutions to shed some light on this topic...
- Interactions between aspirin and COX-2 inhibitors or NSAIDs in a rat thrombosis modelAnwar Umar
Department of Pharmacology, , 33076 Bordeaux, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 18:559-63. 2004..The interactions with aspirin do not seem to affect all NSAIDs to equal levels. The clinical impact of this needs to be confirmed in adequately powered clinical trials or pharmaco-epidemiological studies...
- Role of cyclooxygenase-2 in cytokine-induced beta-cell dysfunction and damage by isolated rat and human isletsMonique R Heitmeier
Department of Cardiovascular, Pfizer Global Research and Development, 700 Chesterfield Pkwy, West, Mail Code T2C, St Louis, MO 63017, USA
J Biol Chem 279:53145-51. 2004....
- Coxibs and cardiovascular diseaseGarret A Fitzgerald
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 351:1709-11. 2004
- [Coxibs, which real therapeutic advance?: Recent pharmacoepidemiological data]Jean Louis Montastruc
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique du Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse, France
Therapie 59:201-5. 2004..Currently marketed coxibs do not appear to meet the previously defined criteria for therapeutic advance...
- [Therapeutic advances with coxibs: few certainties and a lot of doubts]Jean-Yves Jouzeau
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie et UMR 7561 CNRS-UHP, , , France
Therapie 59:207-11. 2004
- Tolerability of three selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors, meloxicam, celecoxib and rofecoxib in NSAID-sensitive patientsG Senna
, Ospedale Civile Maggiore di Verona, Verona, Italy
Allerg Immunol (Paris) 36:215-8. 2004..However for this reason a controlled oral challenge with these drugs is useful for the proper management of patients sensitive to classic NSAIDs...
- Longer use of COX-2-specific inhibitors compared to nonspecific nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: a longitudinal study of 3639 patients in community practiceFrederick Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases Arthritis Research Center Foundation, Wichita, Kansas 67214, USA
J Rheumatol 31:355-8. 2004..To compare COX-2-specific inhibitor therapy with conventional nonspecific nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NS NSAID), and investigate the effect of demographic and disease factors on NSAID duration of use...
- FETAL REFLEX RESPONSES TO CEREBRAL HYPOPERFUSIONCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 1999..Improvement of our knowledge of the rnle of prostanoids in the control of fetal blood pressure is also quite important in light of the use of prostaglandin synthase inhibitors clinically for various reasons, including tocolysis. ..
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF PAIN AND HYPERALGESIAJon Levine; Fiscal Year: 1993..of leukotrienes (LTs), a newly discovered class of AA metabolites whose synthesis is not blocked by cyclooxygenase inhibitors. We showed that leukotriene B4 (LTB4), a product of the 5-lipoxygenase pathway of AA metabolism, reduced ..
- Use of Novel Cox-2 Inhibitors in Neurological DisordersSTANLEY BELL; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Eicosanoids and Diabetic RetinopathyRose Gubitosi Klug; Fiscal Year: 2007..The candidate's preliminary data suggest that both lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase inhibitors can ameliorate the high glucose-induced cell death seen in cultured retinal endothelial cells...
- PROSTANOID BIOSYNTHESIS IN SYSTEMIC MASTOCYTOSISJohn Oates; Fiscal Year: 2003..Inhibition of PGD2 biosynthesis with nonselective cyclooxygenase inhibitors (the nonsteroidal anti- inflammatory drugs) has been employed in the treatment of this disorder, but ..
- IMAGING COX-2 GENE EXPRESSION IN INFLAMMATION AND TUMORSHarvey Herschman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Studies with this mouse will correlate optical and microPET imaging technologies. ..
- IMAGING COX-2 GENE EXPRESSION IN INFLAMMATION AND TUMORSHarvey Herschman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Studies with this mouse will correlate optical and microPET imaging technologies. ..