Genomes and Genes
Summary: A five-carbon sugar alcohol derived from XYLOSE by reduction of the carbonyl group. It is as sweet as sucrose and used as a noncariogenic sweetener.
Publications227 found, 100 shown here
- The use of sorbitol- and xylitol-sweetened chewing gum in caries controlBrian A Burt
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 109 Observatory St, Ann Arbor, Mich 48109 2029, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 137:190-6. 2006The author compared the caries-inhibitory action of sorbitol- and xylitol-sweetened chewing gum and assessed the role of these products in caries prevention.
- Effect of xylitol chewing gum on salivary Streptococcus mutans in preschool childrenJaana T Autio
Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
ASDC J Dent Child 69:81-6, 13. 2002..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of xylitol gum in salivary S. mutans levels in preschool children...
- Xylitol production from corn fiber and sugarcane bagasse hydrolysates by Candida tropicalisR Sreenivas Rao
Department of Microbiology, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
Bioresour Technol 97:1974-8. 2006A natural isolate, Candida tropicalis was tested for xylitol production from corn fiber and sugarcane bagasse hydrolysates...
- Increase of xylitol production rate by controlling redox potential in Candida parapsilosisD K Oh
Department of Food Science and Technology, Woosuk University, Cheonju 565 800, Korea
Biotechnol Bioeng 58:440-4. 1998The effect of redox potential on xylitol production by Candida parapsilosis was investigated...
- Synergistic inhibition by combination of fluoride and xylitol on glycolysis by mutans streptococci and its biochemical mechanismH Maehara
Department of Lifelong Oral Health Sciences, Division of Pediatric Dentistry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
Caries Res 39:521-8. 2005The purpose of this study was to evaluate the combined inhibitory effect of fluoride and xylitol on acid production by mutans streptococci, Streptococcus mutans NCTC10449 and Streptococcus sobrinus 6715, from glucose under strictly ..
- Analysis of NADPH supply during xylitol production by engineered Escherichia coliJonathan W Chin
Department of Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 102:209-20. 2009..expressing an NADPH-dependent xylose reductase from Candida boidinii (CbXR) was previously reported to produce xylitol from xylose while metabolizing glucose [Cirino et al. (2006) Biotechnol Bioeng 95(6): 1167-1176]...
- Engineering of a matched pair of xylose reductase and xylitol dehydrogenase for xylose fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiaeStefan Krahulec
Institute of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Austria
Biotechnol J 4:684-94. 2009..of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (phosphate) NAD(P)H-dependent xylose reductase (XR) and NAD(+)-dependent xylitol dehydrogenase (XDH)...
- Production of xylitol from D-xylose by a xylitol dehydrogenase gene-disrupted mutant of Candida tropicalisByoung Sam Ko
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 373-1 Guseong-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-701, Republic of Korea
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:4207-13. 2006b>Xylitol dehydrogenase (XDH) is one of the key enzymes in d-xylose metabolism, catalyzing the oxidation of xylitol to d-xylulose...
- Production of 2,3-butanediol from corncob molasses, a waste by-product in xylitol productionAilong Wang
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Jinan, 250100, People s Republic of China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87:965-70. 2010Corncob molasses, a waste by-product in xylitol production, contains high concentrations of mixed sugars. In the present study, corncob molasses was used to produce 2,3-butanediol (BD) using Klebsiella pneumoniae SDM...
- Antihyperlipidemic activity of 3-hydroxymethyl xylitol, a novel antidiabetic compound isolated from Casearia esculenta (Roxb.) root, in streptozotocin-diabetic ratsGovindasamy Chandramohan
Community Health Sciences Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University, P O Box 10219, Riyadh 11433, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 24:95-101. 2010..An active compound, 3-hydroxymethyl xylitol (3-HMX), has been isolated, and its optimum dose has been determined in a short duration study and patented...
- Xylitol production by a Pichia stipitis D-xylulokinase mutantYong-Su Jin
Department of Food Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1550 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 68:42-5. 2005b>Xylitol production by Pichia stipitis FPL-YS30, a xyl3-delta1 mutant that metabolizes xylose using an alternative metabolic pathway, was investigated under aerobic and oxygen-limited culture conditions...
- In vitro testing of xylitol as an anticariogenic agentPaul S Sahni
Indiana University, Indianapolis, USA
Gen Dent 50:340-3. 2002A number of studies involving xylitol chewing gum have demonstrated that xylitol is both noncariogenic and anticariogenic...
- Optimization of acid hydrolysis of sugarcane bagasse and investigations on its fermentability for the production of xylitol by Candida guilliermondiiRafael Fogel
, , Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP: 21949-900, Brazil
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 121:741-52. 2005..conversion (tC) to 75 h (without nitrogen source addition tC > 127 h), and, consequently, improving the rates of xylitol bioproduction...
- Tyr-51 is the proton donor-acceptor for NAD(H)-dependent interconversion of xylose and xylitol by Candida tenuis xylose reductase (AKR2B5)Simone L Pival
Institute of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12, A 8010 Graz, Austria
FEBS Lett 582:4095-9. 2008..bromide brought about unidirectional rate enhancement ( approximately 2x10(3)-fold at 300mM) for NAD(+)-dependent xylitol oxidation by Y51A...
- Effect of xylitol-containing chewing gums on interdental plaque-pH in habitual xylitol consumersPernilla Lif Holgerson
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 63:233-8. 2005The aim was to investigate the effect of high and low amounts of xylitol on the interdental plaque-pH, directly and after sucrose challenge, in schoolchildren with habitual consumption.
- Improved NADPH supply for xylitol production by engineered Escherichia coli with glycolytic mutationsJonathan W Chin
Department of Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biotechnol Prog 27:333-41. 2011..coli engineered to uptake xylose while metabolizing glucose was previously shown to produce high levels of xylitol from a mixture of glucose and xylose when expressing NADPH-dependent xylose reductase from Candida boidinii (CbXR)..
- Influence of maternal xylitol consumption on mother-child transmission of mutans streptococci: 6-year follow-upE Soderling
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
Caries Res 35:173-7. 2001b>Xylitol is effective as a noncariogenic or even cariostatic sugar substitute. Habitual xylitol consumption appears to select for mutans streptococci (MS) which shed easily into saliva from plaque...
- Role of xylose transporters in xylitol production from engineered Escherichia coliReza Khankal
Department of Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Biotechnol 134:246-52. 2008..2006 [Cirino, P.C., Chin, J.W., Ingram, L.O., 2006. Engineering Escherichia coli for xylitol production from glucose-xylose mixtures. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 95, 1167-1176.])...
- Six months of daily high-dose xylitol in high-risk schoolchildren: a randomized clinical trial on plaque pH and salivary mutans streptococciG Campus
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Caries Res 43:455-61. 2009A randomized clinical trial was designed to evaluate the effect of daily high-dose xylitol chewing gum on plaque pH and salivary mutans streptococci (MS) in a sample of schoolchildren at high risk of caries...
- Microbiological purification of L-arabitol from xylitol mother liquorMingguo Jiang
College of Chemical Engineering and Ecology, Guangxi University for Nationality, Nanning, 530007, China
J Microbiol Biotechnol 21:43-9. 2011..Therefore, this study describes a novel L-arabitol production method based on biological purification from the xylitol mother liquor, a cheap and readily available raw material that contains a high concentration of Larabitol...
- Novel enzymatic method for the production of xylitol from D-arabitol by Gluconobacter oxydansShun-ichi Suzuki
AminoScience Laboratories, Ajinomoto Co, Inc, Suzuki-cho, Kawasaki-ku, Kawasaki-shi 210-8681, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:2614-20. 2002Microorganisms capable of producing xylitol from D-arabitol were screened for...
- Xylitol production from xylose mother liquor: a novel strategy that combines the use of recombinant Bacillus subtilis and Candida maltosaHairong Cheng
Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism and School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai, China
Microb Cell Fact 10:5. 2011..In China, more than 50,000 metric tons of xylose mother liquor was produced in 2009, and the management of sugars like xylose that present in the low-cost liquor is a problem...
- Cloning of the xylitol dehydrogenase gene from Gluconobacter oxydans and improved production of xylitol from D-arabitolMasakazu Sugiyama
AminoScience Laboratories, Ajinomoto Co, Inc, Suzuki cho, Kawasaki ku, Kawasaki shi 210 8681, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:584-91. 2003b>Xylitol dehydrogenase (XDH) was purified from the cytoplasmic fraction of Gluconobacter oxydans ATCC 621. The purified enzyme reduced D-xylulose to xylitol in the presence of NADH with an optimum pH of around 5.0...
- Lipase-catalyzed synthesis of xylitol monoesters: solvent engineering approachE Castillo
Departamento de Bioingeniería, Instituto de Biotecnologia, UNAM, Apartado Postal 510 3, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62271, Mexico
J Biotechnol 102:251-9. 2003A solvent engineering strategy was applied to the lipase-catalyzed synthesis of xylitol-oleic acid monoesters. The different esterification degrees for this polyhydroxylated molecule were examined in different organic solvent mixtures...
- A model of xylitol production by the yeast Candida mogiiWorasit Tochampa
Department of Biotechnology, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, 10900 Thailand
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 28:175-83. 2005Production of xylitol from xylose in batch fermentations of Candida mogii ATCC 18364 is discussed in the presence of glucose as the cosubstrate...
- Cloning and expression of a xylitol-4-dehydrogenase gene from Pantoea ananatisJ S Aarnikunnas
Division of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Department of Basic Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:368-77. 2006The Pantoea ananatis ATCC 43072 mutant strain is capable of growing with xylitol as the sole carbon source...
- Increase of xylitol productivity by cell-recycle fermentation of Candida tropicalis using submerged membrane bioreactorSoun-Gyu Kwon
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Sejong University, 98 Gunja-Dong, Gwangin-gu, Seoul 143-747, Korea
J Biosci Bioeng 101:13-8. 2006Candida tropicalis, an osmophilic strain isolated from honeycomb, produced xylitol at a maximal volumetric productivity of 3.5 g l(-1) h(-1) from an initial xylose concentration of 200 g l(-1). Even at a very high xylose concentration, e...
- Enhancement of xylitol productivity and yield using a xylitol dehydrogenase gene-disrupted mutant of Candida tropicalis under fully aerobic conditionsByoung Sam Ko
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 373-1 Guseong-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-701, Republic of Korea
Biotechnol Lett 28:1159-62. 2006The effects of glycerol and the oxygen transfer rate on the xylitol production rate by a xylitol dehydrogenase gene (XYL2)-disrupted mutant of Candida tropicalis were investigated...
- Xylitol enhances bacterial killing in the rabbit maxillary sinusChristopher L Brown
Department of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1093, USA
Laryngoscope 114:2021-4. 2004..b>Xylitol has been shown to effect ASL ionic composition in vitro and to reduce nasal bacterial carriage, otitis media, and ..
- Effect of xylitol on mutans streptococci and lactic acid formation in saliva and plaque from adolescents and young adults with fixed orthodontic appliancesChristina Stecksén-Blicks
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 112:244-8. 2004This study aimed to investigate two dose regimens of xylitol-containing tablets on the ecology of dental plaque and saliva during treatment with fixed orthodontic appliances. The study group comprised 56 healthy patients (mean age 15...
- Evaluation of the dental plaque pH recovery effect of a xylitol lozenge on patients with fixed orthodontic appliancesAbdulkadir Sengun
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Campus Konya, Turkey
Angle Orthod 74:240-4. 2004The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of a xylitol lozenge on the dental plaque pH profile of fixed orthodontic patients. Twelve volunteers participated in this study...
- Cloning and characterization of the xyl1 gene, encoding an NADH-preferring xylose reductase from Candida parapsilosis, and its functional expression in Candida tropicalisJung Kul Lee
BioNgene Co, Ltd, Jongro Ku, Seoul 110 521, Korea
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:6179-88. 2003Xylose reductase (XR) is a key enzyme in D-xylose metabolism, catalyzing the reduction of D-xylose to xylitol. An NADH-preferring XR was purified to homogeneity from Candida parapsilosis KFCC-10875, and the xyl1 gene encoding a 324-amino-..
- Optimization of fed-batch fermentation for xylitol production by Candida tropicalisJ-H Kim
Department of Food Science and Technology, Research Center for New Bio-Materials in Agriculture, Seoul National University, Suwon 441-744, South Korea
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 29:16-9. 2002b>Xylitol, a functional sweetener, was produced from xylose by biological conversion using Candida tropicalis ATCC 13803...
- Improvement of xylitol production by Candida guilliermondii FTI 20037 previously adapted to rice straw hemicellulosic hydrolysateC J Silva
Department of Biotechnology/FAENQUIL, , Lorena-SP, Brazil
Lett Appl Microbiol 32:248-52. 2001AIMS: To evaluate a simple and economical technique to improve xylitol production using concentrated xylose solutions prepared from rice straw hemicellulosic hydrolysate...
- Effect of chewing gums containing xylitol or probiotic bacteria on salivary mutans streptococci and lactobacilliE Caglar
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Bagdat cad 238, Goztepe, 34728 Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Oral Investig 11:425-9. 2007The aim was to evaluate the effect of xylitol and probiotic chewing gums on salivary mutans streptococci (MS) and lactobacilli (LB). The material consisted of 80 healthy young adults (21-24 years) who volunteered after informed consent...
- Difference in the xylitol sensitivity of acid production among Streptococcus mutans strains and the biochemical mechanismH Miyasawa-Hori
Division of Oral Ecology and Biochemistry, Department of Oral Biology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
Oral Microbiol Immunol 21:201-5. 2006b>Xylitol inhibits the glycolysis and growth of Streptococcus mutans, but to different degrees among strains. Thus, we studied the biochemical mechanism through which the inhibition varies, using S...
- Influence of maternal xylitol consumption on acquisition of mutans streptococci by infantsE Soderling
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
J Dent Res 79:882-7. 2000b>Xylitol is effective as a non-cariogenic sugar substitute. Habitual xylitol consumption appears to select for mutans streptococci (MS) with impaired adhesion properties, i.e., they shed easily to saliva from plaque...
- Thirty-nine-month xylitol chewing-gum programme in initially 8-year-old school children: a feasibility study focusing on mutans streptococci and lactobacilliKauko K Mäkinen
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
Int Dent J 58:41-50. 2008To investigate the use of xylitol-containing chewing-gums in public elementary schools as a means to affect the growth of salivary and plaque mutans streptococci and salivary lactobacilli.
- Xylitol for messrooms--a method worth trying to prevent caries among seafarersU Saarni
Finnish Student Health Service, Turku, Finland
Bull Inst Marit Trop Med Gdynia 48:91-7. 1997..A newer method to prevent caries is systematic use of xylitol. Scientific evidence shows that the addition of small quantities of xylitol, a natural carbohydrate sweetener, to ..
- Xylitol gum and maternal transmission of mutans streptococciY Nakai
Department of Behavioral Pediatric Dentistry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama Shi, Okayama 700 8525, Japan
J Dent Res 89:56-60. 2010..This study confirmed the effectiveness of maternal early exposure to xylitol chewing gum on mother-child transmission of MS...
- D-xylose metabolism in Hypocrea jecorina: loss of the xylitol dehydrogenase step can be partially compensated for by lad1-encoded L-arabinitol-4-dehydrogenaseBernhard Seiboth
Abteilung für Angewandte Biochemie und Gentechnologie, Institut fur Verfahrenstechnik, Umwelttechnik, und Technische Biowissenschaften, A 1060 Wien, Austria
Eukaryot Cell 2:867-75. 2003..the D-xylose pathway in Hypocrea jecorina (anamorph: Trichoderma reesei), we cloned the xdh1 gene, encoding NAD-xylitol dehydrogenase, which catalyzes the second step of fungal D-xylose catabolism...
- Heterologous expression, purification, and characterization of a highly active xylose reductase from Neurospora crassaRyan Woodyer
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 600 S. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1642-7. 2005..This enzyme is one of the most active XRs thus far characterized and may be used for the in vitro production of xylitol.
- Xylitol production by Candida tropicalis in a chemically defined mediumTeak-Bum Kim
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Sejong University, Seoul 143-747, Republic of Korea
Biotechnol Lett 25:2085-8. 2003..various vitamins was substituted for a complex medium containing yeast extract (10 g l(-1)) in the production of xylitol by Candida tropicalis...
- The osmolyte xylitol reduces the salt concentration of airway surface liquid and may enhance bacterial killingJ Zabner
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Departments of Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Physiology and Biophysics, and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Facility, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:11614-9. 2000..We found that the five-carbon sugar xylitol has a low transepithelial permeability, is poorly metabolized by several bacteria, and can lower the ASL salt ..
- Xylitol and glycine fillers increase permeability of PMMA to enhance elution of daptomycinAlex C McLaren
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 451:25-8. 2006..We propose xylitol, a naturally occurring sweetener with direct antibiofilm properties, as a filler material...
- Effect of xylitol on growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae in the presence of fructose and sorbitolT Tapiainen
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:166-9. 2001b>Xylitol is effective in preventing acute otitis media by inhibiting the growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae. To clarify this inhibition we used fructose, which is known to block similar growth inhibition observed in Streptococcus mutans...
- Xylitol concentration in saliva and dental plaque after use of various xylitol-containing productsP Lif Holgerson
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Caries Res 40:393-7. 2006The study consisted of two sets of experiments, one in saliva and one in dental plaque. The xylitol concentration in saliva was determined enzymatically in 12 children (mean age 11...
- Hypoglycemia following canine ingestion of xylitol-containing gumEric K Dunayer
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, 1717 S Philo Rd, Suite 36, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Vet Hum Toxicol 46:87-8. 2004..collapse, and seizures after consuming a large quantity of sugar-free gum sweetened with the sugar-alcohol xylitol. The dog was treated with i.v...
- Use of xylitol chewing gum in daycare centers: a follow-up study in Savonlinna, FinlandHelena Kovari
Savonlinna Health Care Centre, Savonlinna, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 61:367-70. 2003..Several field studies have demonstrated a caries-preventive effect of xylitol chewing gum--a measure that could be a practical way of taking care of oral hygiene during daycare hours without ..
- Xylitol and D-arabitol toxicities due to derepressed fructose, galactitol, and sorbitol phosphotransferases of Escherichia coliA M Reiner
J Bacteriol 132:166-73. 1977d-Arabitol was observed to be toxic to many laboratory strains of Escherichia coli K-12, and xylitol was found to be toxic to an existing E. coli C mutant strain...
- Ultrastructure of Streptococcus pneumoniae after exposure to xylitolTerhi Tapiainen
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, FIN-90014, Oulu
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:225-8. 2004OBJECTIVES: Xylitol is a sugar alcohol which reduces the growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae and the adherence of pneumococci and Haemophilus influenzae to nasopharyngeal cells...
- The purification and properties of human liver ketohexokinase. A role for ketohexokinase and fructose-bisphosphate aldolase in the metabolic production of oxalate from xylitolR Bais
Biochem J 230:53-60. 1985..of the two enzymes was tested to determine the conditions that favour the formation of glycolaldehyde from xylitol. The results indicate that few of these metabolites affect the activity of ketohexokinase, but that aldolase can ..
- Xylitol inhibits inflammatory cytokine expression induced by lipopolysaccharide from Porphyromonas gingivalisSu-Ji Han
Department of Oral Microbiology, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea 602-739
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:1285-91. 2005..b>Xylitol stands out and is widely believed to possess anticaries properties...
- Morphological changes in Streptococcus mutans after chewing gum containing xylitol for twelve monthsYoung Eun Lee
Department of Preventive Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University, SamDuk Dong, Daegu 700 412, Republic of Korea
Curr Microbiol 58:332-7. 2009Few studies have been conducted to evaluate the effect of xylitol on the virulence and morphology of Streptococcus mutans (S. mutans). This study was conducted to evaluate changes in the morphology and virulence of S...
- Development of a xylitol biosensor composed of xylitol dehydrogenase and diaphoraseK Takamizawa
Department of Bioprocessing, Faculty of Agriculture, Gifu University, Japan
Can J Microbiol 46:350-7. 2000In preparation for the development of a xylitol biosensor, the xylitol dehydrogenase of Candida tropicalis IFO 0618 was partially purified and characterized. The optimal pH and temperature of the xylitol dehydrogenase were pH 8...
- Ion-molecule reactions for the characterization of polyols and polyol mixtures by ESI/FT-ICR mass spectrometryMichael A Watkins
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2084, and Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Anal Chem 77:1385-92. 2005..The utility of this method for the analysis of polyols as single-component solutions, as mixtures, or in HPLC effluent (LC-MS analysis) is demonstrated...
- Effect of maternal use of chewing gums containing xylitol, chlorhexidine or fluoride on mutans streptococci colonization in the mothers' infant childrenIngrid Thorild
Public Dental Clinic, Varberg, Sweden
Oral Health Prev Dent 1:53-7. 2003PURPOSE: The aim was to evaluate the effect of maternal use of chewing gums containing xylitol, chlorhexidine/xylitol or fluoride on the prevalence of mutans streptococci (MS) in the mothers' 18-month-old offsprings...
- Xylitol candies in caries prevention: results of a field study in Estonian childrenP Alanen
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 28:218-24. 2000..reported significant reductions in dental caries occurrence associated with the use of chewing gum containing xylitol. No other xylitol products besides chewing gum have so far been tested in field trials...
- A screening study of xylitol binding in vitro to activated charcoalR B Cope
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Vet Hum Toxicol 46:336-7. 2004Ingestion of foods containing the sweetener xylitol by dogs results in a significant, and often sustained, insulin-mediated hypoglycemic crisis...
- Maintaining mutans streptococci suppression with xylitol chewing gumG H Hildebrandt
School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455 0348, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 131:909-16. 2000..Oral MS levels, however, tend to quickly return to baseline values without further intervention. In this clinical study, the authors evaluated the effect of xylitol chewing gum on MS regrowth.
- Field trial on caries prevention with xylitol candies among disabled school studentsE Honkala
Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Caries Res 40:508-13. 2006..In a 1999 survey high caries levels were found among physically disabled school students in Kuwait...
- Evaluation of nonglucose carbohydrates in parenteral nutrition for diabetic patientsM A Valero
Clinical Nutrition, Hospital Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:1111-6. 2001..patients were randomly divided into two groups receiving either glucose (G), n=71, or glucose-fructose-xylitol 2:1:1 (GFX), n=67...
- Xylitol pediatric topical oral syrup to prevent dental caries: a double-blind randomized clinical trial of efficacyPeter Milgrom
Northwest Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7475, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163:601-7. 2009To evaluate the effectiveness of a xylitol pediatric topical oral syrup to reduce the incidence of dental caries among very young children and to evaluate the effect of xylitol in reducing acute otitis media in a subsequent study.
- Influence of cultivation conditions on xylose-to-xylitol bioconversion by a new isolate of Debaryomyces hanseniiFabio C Sampaio
Department of Microbiology, Instituto de Biotecnologia Aplicada à Agropecuária, Federal University of Vicosa, Av P H Rolfs s n, 36571 000 Vicosa, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Bioresour Technol 99:502-8. 2008About 270 yeast isolates were screened for xylitol production using xylose as the sole carbon source. The best isolate, Debaryomyces hansenii UFV-170, released 5...
- Xylitol: effects on the acquisition of cariogenic species in infantsMargherita Fontana
Microbial Caries Facility, School of Dentistry and Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, USA
Pediatr Dent 31:257-66. 2009The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of xylitol gum (XG) on the acquisition pattern of 39 bacterial species, including mutans streptococci (MS), in infants.
- Chemostat study of xylitol production by Candida guilliermondiiT Granström
Helsinki University of Technology, Laboratory of Bioprocess Engineering, Finland
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 55:36-42. 2001The mechanism of production of xylitol from xylose by Candida guilliermondii was studied using chemostat cultures and enzymatic assays. The maximum dilution rate in aerobic conditions was 0.34 1/h. No xylitol was produced...
- Production of ethanol and xylitol from corn cobs by yeastsF Latif
National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Faisalabad, Pakistan
Bioresour Technol 77:57-63. 2001..Maximal xylitol concentration of 21, 20 and 15 g/l from 200 g/l (w/v) dry corn cobs was obtained by C...
- Effect of a xylitol and fluoride containing toothpaste on the remineralization of human enamel in vitroHiroshi Sano
Product Development Department, International Division, Lion Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
J Oral Sci 49:67-73. 2007The aim of this study was to examine the effect of a fluoride and xylitol containing toothpaste on the remineralization of human enamel using Quantitative Light-induced Fluorescence (QLF)...
- Metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for conversion of D-glucose to xylitol and other five-carbon sugars and sugar alcoholsMervi H Toivari
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, P O Box 1000, FI 02044 VTT, Espoo, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5471-6. 2007Recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains that produce the sugar alcohols xylitol and ribitol and the pentose sugar D-ribose from D-glucose in a single fermentation step are described. A transketolase-deficient S...
- Threshold for transitory diarrhea induced by ingestion of xylitol and lactitol in young male and female adultsTsuneyuki Oku
Graduate School of Human Health Science, Siebold University of Nagasaki, Nagayo, Nagasaki 851 2195, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53:13-20. 2007..The objective is to estimate the non-effective dosage that does not cause transitory diarrhea for xylitol, lactitol, and erythritol in healthy subjects...
- Xylitol production from rice straw hemicellulose hydrolyzate by polyacrylic hydrogel thin films with immobilized Candida subtropicalis WF79Wen Chang Liaw
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, 123, Section 3, University Road, Touliu, Yunlin 640, Taiwan, ROC
J Biosci Bioeng 105:97-105. 2008Xylose from rice straw hemicellulose hydrolysate was fermented for xylitol production using Candida subtropicalis WF79 cells immobilized in polyacrylic hydrogel thin films of 200 mum thickness...
- Xylitol for caries preventionJohn Peldyak
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Dent Hyg 76:276-85. 2002..When tested as a sucrose replacer, or even as a small dietary addition, systematic xylitol use leads to impressive reductions in caries incidence...
- Electrochemical reduction of xylose to xylitol by whole cells or crude enzyme of Candida peltataSun Mi Park
Department of Biological Engineering, Seokyeong University, Seoul 136-704, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 43:451-5. 2005..were applied to an electrochemical bioreactor, in order to induce an increment of the reduction of xylose to xylitol. Neutral red was utilized as an electron mediator in the whole cell reactor, and a graphite-Mn(IV) electrode was ..
- Effect of xylitol and sorbitol on plaque acidogenesisChristian H Splieth
Department for Preventive and Pediatric Dentistry, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Quintessence Int 40:279-85. 2009To evaluate the in vivo potential of xylitol to reduce plaque acidogenicity in comparison to sorbitol.
- Anticaries efficacy of a sodium monofluorophosphate dentifrice containing xylitol in a dicalcium phosphate dihydrate base. A 30-month caries clinical study in Costa RicaJorge L Sintes
International Relations and Convention Management, GBD Oral Care, Colgate Palmolive Technology Center, Piscataway, NJ, USA
Am J Dent 15:215-9. 2002..836% sodium monofluorophosphate (1100 ppm F) in a dicalcium phosphate dihydrate base plus 10% xylitol; and (2) a positive control dentifrice containing 0...
- Structural analysis of the catalytic mechanism and stereoselectivity in Streptomyces coelicolor alditol oxidaseFederico Forneris
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Pavia, Via Ferrata 1, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Biochemistry 47:978-85. 2008..in its native state and in complex with both six-carbon (mannitol and sorbitol) and five-carbon substrates (xylitol)...
- Long-term effect of xylitol gum use on mutans streptococci in adultsS Haresaku
Department of Preventive and Public Health Dentistry, Oral Public Health, Fukuoka Dental College, Fukuoka, Japan
Caries Res 41:198-203. 2007Many studies have shown the effects of chewing xylitol gum on mutans streptococci (MS) over short- and long-term periods in children; however, few studies have addressed long-term periods in adults...
- Dissolution of xylitol from a food supplement administered with a novel slow-release pacifier: preliminary resultsT Taipale
Korpilahti Muurame Health Care Center University of Turku, Finland
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 8:123-5. 2007The aim of the study was to monitor the pattern of release and salivary xylitol concentrations during sucking of a slow-release pacifier used to deliver a novel food supplement.
- Are sugar substitutes also anticariogenic?Domenick T Zero
Department of Preventiuve and Community Dentistry, Indiana University School of Dentistry, 415 Lansing Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:9S-10S. 2008
- Variables that affect xylitol production from sugarcane bagasse hydrolysate in a zeolite fluidized bed reactorJulio C Santos
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Faculdade de Engenharia Quimica de Lorena, Rodovia Itajubá Lorena, Km 74, 5, SP, Brazil
Biotechnol Prog 21:1639-43. 2005The operational conditions for xylitol production by fermentation of sugarcane bagasse hydrolysate in a fluidized bed reactor with cells immobilized on zeolite were evaluated...
- Effect of xylitol/chlorhexidine versus xylitol or chlorhexidine as single rinses on initial biofilm formation of cariogenic streptococciEva Maria Decker
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Quintessence Int 39:17-22. 2008..b>Xylitol, mostly applied via chewing gum, is known to possess favorable plaque-reducing properties...
- Buffering effect of a prophylactic gel on dental plaque in institutionalised elderlyAnitha Persson
Department of Odontology, University of Umea, Umea, Sweden
Gerodontology 24:98-104. 2007..The effect of multiple daily applications of a prophylactic gel, with buffering substances, on plaque acidogenicity in elderly institutionalised individuals was evaluated...
- Fermentation performance of Candida guilliermondii for xylitol production on single and mixed substrate mediaSolange I Mussatto
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Faculdade de Engenharia Quimica de Lorena, Rodovia Itajubá Lorena, Km 74, 5, Cx Postal 116, Cep 12600 970 Lorena, SP, Brazil
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72:681-6. 2006..glucose, and 9 g l(-1) arabinose) was investigated to evaluate the glucose and arabinose influence on xylose-to-xylitol bioconversion by Candida guilliermondii...
- Effect of phosphate buffer concentration on the batch xylitol production by Candida guilliermondiiD V Cortez
Department of Biotechnology, College of Chemical Engineering of Lorena, , Brazil
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:321-5. 2006AIMS: To evaluate the effect of phosphate buffer concentration on growth and xylitol production by Candida guilliermondii FTI 20037...
- Xylitol, sweeteners, and dental cariesKiet A Ly
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, USA
Pediatr Dent 28:154-63; discussion 192-8. 2006The purpose of this report was to provide an overview of xylitol and other polyol sweeteners and dental caries for clinicians and to discuss current applications for dental practice and potential community-based public health ..
- Influence of a low xylitol-dose on mutans streptococci colonisation and caries development in preschool childrenP Oscarson
Lycksele Public Dental Clinic, Ume, Sweden
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 7:142-7. 2006AIM: To evaluate the effect of xylitol-containing tablets on mutans streptococci colonisation and caries development in preschool children. STUDY DESIGN: Randomised single-blind prospective design...
- Caries in 4-year-old children after maternal chewing of gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine and fluorideI Thorild
Public Dental Clinic, Varberg
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 7:241-5. 2006AIM: To evaluate the effect of maternal use of chewing gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine and fluoride on caries prevalence in a group of mother's 4-year-old children...
- Screening and characterization of yeasts for xylitol productionC Guo
Centre of Microbial Biotechnology, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
J Appl Microbiol 101:1096-104. 2006AIMS: To discover novel naturally occurring xylitol producing yeast species with potential for industrial applications...
- Preventing dental diseaseJeffrey P Huston
American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 34:491-2. 2006
- Repeated-batch xylitol bioproduction using yeast cells entrapped in polyvinyl alcohol-hydrogelM A A Cunha
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Lorena, Rodovia Itajubá Lorena, Km 74 5, C P 116, 12600 970, Lorena SP, Brazil
Curr Microbiol 54:91-6. 2007Xylose-to-xylitol conversion was investigated in a bench-scale bioreactor using Candida guilliermondii cells entrapped within polyvinyl alcohol-hydrogel beads in a system operated in repeated-batch mode with cell recycling...
- Dental plaque formation and salivary mutans streptococci in schoolchildren after use of xylitol-containing chewing gumPernilla Lif Holgerson
Department of Odontology, Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Int J Paediatr Dent 17:79-85. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of a fixed daily dose of xylitol on mutans streptococci in saliva and the amount of visible dental plaque...
- A modern paradigm for caries management, part 1: diagnosis and treatmentSteven Steinberg
Dent Today 26:134, 136-9; quiz 139. 2007
- The effect of xylitol on Streptococcus mutans in childrenDominique Massoth
University of California School of Dentistry, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 34:231-4. 2006..was performed on 91 second-grade students from the Los Angeles Unified School District to test the effects of xylitol chewing gum on Streptococcus mutans in the saliva...
- Engineering Escherichia coli for xylitol production from glucose-xylose mixturesPatrick C Cirino
Department of Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 95:1167-76. 2006The range of value-added chemicals produced by Escherichia coli from simple sugars has been expanded to include xylitol. This was accomplished by screening the in vivo activity of a number of heterologous xylitol-producing enzymes...
- Decreased salivary uptake of [14C]-xylitol after a four-week xylitol chewing gum regimenPernilla Lif Holgerson
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Sweden
Oral Health Prev Dent 5:313-9. 2007..were to evaluate a simple method to disclose a microbial shift in saliva and to investigate the short- and long-term effects of daily use of xylitol-containing chewing gums on mutans streptococci (MS) and [14C]-xylitol uptake in saliva.
- Enhanced xylitol production by precultivation of Candida guilliermondii cells in sugarcane bagasse hemicellulosic hydrolysateRita C L B Rodrigues
Departamento de Biotecnologia, DEBIQ, Faculdade de Engenharia Quimica de Lorena, FAENQUIL, Lorena, SP, Brazil
Curr Microbiol 53:53-9. 2006The present work evaluated the key enzymes involved in xylitol production (xylose reductase [XR] and xylitol dehydrogenase [XDH]) and their correlation with xylose, arabinose, and acetic acid assimilation during cultivation of Candida ..
- Similarity of the effects of erythritol and xylitol on some risk factors of dental cariesK K Makinen
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Lemminkaisenkatu 2, FI 20520 Turku, Finland
Caries Res 39:207-15. 2005..The effects of 6-month use of erythritol (a sugar alcohol of the tetritol type), xylitol (a pentitol) and D-glucitol (sorbitol, a hexitol) were investigated in a cohort of 136 teenage subjects assigned ..
- Mutans streptococci dose response to xylitol chewing gumP Milgrom
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, Northwest Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 USA
J Dent Res 85:177-81. 2006b>Xylitol is promoted in caries-preventive strategies, yet its effective dose range is unclear. This study determined the dose-response of mutans streptococci in plaque and unstimulated saliva to xylitol gum...
- Model compound studies: influence of aeration and hemicellulosic sugars on xylitol production by Candida tropicalisT Walthers
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 91:423-35. 2001..mannose, and glucose), oxygen limitation, and initial xylose concentration on the fermentation of xylose to xylitol was investigated using experimental design methodology...
- Effect of acetic acid present in bagasse hydrolysate on the activities of xylose reductase and xylitol dehydrogenase in Candida guilliermondiiLuanne Helena Augusto Lima
Departamento de Biologia Celular, , 70910-900 Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 65:734-8. 2004..1.1.21) and NAD(P)-dependent xylitol dehydrogenase (XDH) (EC 18.104.22.168), which lead to xylose-->xylitol-->xylulose conversion...
- Metabolic behavior of immobilized Candida guilliermondii cells during batch xylitol production from sugarcane bagasse acid hydrolyzateWalter Carvalho
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Chemical Engineering of Lorena, , Km 74.5, Lorena, S.P, Brazil, 12600-000
Biotechnol Bioeng 79:165-9. 2002Candida guilliermondii cells, immobilized in Ca-alginate beads, were used for batch xylitol production from concentrated sugarcane bagasse hydrolyzate. Maximum xylitol concentration (20.6 g/L), volumetric productivity (0.43 g/L...
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--UNC Clinical CenterDaniel Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Xylitol for Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) is a three-year, multi-center, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Xylitol for Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) is a three-year, multi-center, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study ..
- PREVENT TRANSMIS OF MUTANS STREPTOC FR MOTHER TO CHILDWalter Bretz; Fiscal Year: 2004..young infants by an intervention program which may include restorative procedures, topical fluorides, the use of xylitol chewing gum, and chlorhexidine varnishes; 2) to determine whether this intervention reduces or delays the ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Xylitol for Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) is a three-year, multi-center, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) UTHSC San Antonio Clinical CenterBennett Amaechi; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Identification of anti-cariogenic/low-glycemic activity factors from Lo Han KuoCHIFU HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. phenylketonurics and diabetics). Moreover, altered sugar alcohol substitute sweeteners, i.e. sorbitol, xylitol, that have been marketed as noncariogenic sweeteners, and more recently as sweeteners for low carbohydrate diets, ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) Data Coordinating CenterWilliam Vollmer; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Structural Basis of Selective Permeability in AquaporinDax Fu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim (2) will determine the structures of GlpF in complex with ribitol and its stereoisomer xylitol to elucidate the structural basis for stereo-selectivity in GlpF. Aim (3) will crystallize AqpZ, an E...
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005..The intervention is the daily use of xylitol lozenges...
- Fluoride Varnish to Prevent Caries in Toddlers - An Expanded Immunization ProgramPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2007..Keywords: fluoride varnish, dental caries, oral health, early prevention, multi-center, toddlers. ..
- Biotech & Materials Research to Reduce Caries DisparityPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be co-sponsored by the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, the University of Washington UWeb Bioengineering Center, and the Salivary Diagnostics Project. ..
- Aerosolized xylitol for ventilator-associated pneumoniaLakshmi Durairaj; Fiscal Year: 2007..The focus of this proposal is to study the effectiveness of a new intervention namely xylitol, a 5-carbon sugar, for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia, a common nosocomial infection among ..
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>Xylitol, a naturally occurring sugar alcohol, has been proposed as a prophylactic therapy for AOM...
- Xylitol Enhancement of Bacterial Killing by AirwayJoseph Zabner; Fiscal Year: 2003..This could reduce ASL NaCI concentration by substituting the osmotic effect of NaCI with a non-ionic osmolyte. Xylitol is a simple 5-carbon sugar, commonly used as a non-metabolizable sweetener...
- Practitioners Engaged in Applied Research and LearningJonathan Ship; Fiscal Year: 2006..In summary, the PEARL Network is uniquely positioned to establish and Maintain a PBRN that will conduct research studies designed to positively impact oral health. ..
- Ligand-Receptor Segregation and Airway RemodelingJoseph Zabner; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize that in the asthmatic airways, alterations in the epithelial barrier play a central role in airway epithelial remodeling. ..