Genomes and Genes
Summary: Acids derived from monosaccharides by the oxidation of the terminal (-CH2OH) group farthest removed from the carbonyl group to a (-COOH) group. (From Stedmans, 26th ed)
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of enzyme treatment during mechanical extraction of olive oil on phenolic compounds and polysaccharidesE Vierhuis
Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Laboratory of Food Chemistry, Wageningen University, Bomenweg 2, 6703 HD Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Agric Food Chem 49:1218-23. 2001..Also, the content of uronic acids in the buffer soluble extract increased considerably due to the use of the enzyme preparations...
- Cultured representatives of two major phylogroups of human colonic Faecalibacterium prausnitzii can utilize pectin, uronic acids, and host-derived substrates for growthMireia Lopez-Siles
Grup de Microbiologia Clínica i Malalties Infeccioses, Departament de Biologia, Facultat de Ciencies, Universitat de Girona, Girona, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:420-8. 2012..Many F. prausnitzii isolates were able to utilize uronic acids for growth, an ability previously thought to be confined to Bacteroides spp. among human colonic anaerobes...
- Quantification of uronic acids in tea polysaccharide conjugates and their antioxidant propertiesHaixia Chen
Department of Food Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 52:3333-6. 2004A technique of high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) was described for the measurement of total uronic acids in tea polysaccharide conjugates...
- Distribution of uronic acids in xylans from various species of soft- and hardwood as determined by MALDI mass spectrometryA Jacobs
Swedish Pulp and Paper Research Institute (STFI, P.O. Box 5604, SE-11486 Stockholm, Sweden
Biomacromolecules 2:979-90. 2001....
- Effects of glucosamine derivatives and uronic acids on the production of glycosaminoglycans by human synovial cells and chondrocytesMamoru Igarashi
Department of Host Defense and Biochemical Research, Graduate School of Medicine, Juntendo University, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Mol Med 27:821-7. 2011..action of GlcN, we examined the effects of GlcN-derivatives (GlcN and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine) and uronic acids (D-glucuronic acid and D-galacturonic acid) (0...
- Two mathematical models for the correction of carbohydrate and protein interference in the determination of uronic acids by the m-hydroxydiphenyl methodMiguel Anxo Murado
Instituto de Investigacions Marinas CSIC, r Eduardo Cabello 6, Vigo 36208, Galicia, Spain
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 41:209-16. 2005The most common method in the routine determination of uronic acids, the m-hydroxydiphenyl reaction, recently adapted to rapid microplate analysis, has as a main inconvenience, in any one of their modalities, interferences due to the ..
- [Comparison of Echinops species on the basis of the monosaccharide composition of polysaccharides]Gyongyi Gyemant
Debreceni Egyetem, Biokémiai Tanszék, Debrecen, Egyetem tér 1 Hungary 4032
Acta Pharm Hung 73:77-9. 2003..The main monosaccharides are glucose in E. orientalis and glucose and mannose in E. commutatus. Glucuronic acid is the uronic acid component in both species...
- An arabinogalactan from the skin of Opuntia ficus-indica prickly pear fruitsYoussef Habibi
Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolecules Vegetales, CNRS, and Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
Carbohydr Res 339:1201-5. 2004..This polysaccharide is thus an arabinogalactan that can be classified in the type I of the arabinogalactan family...
- A defect in exodegradative pathways provides insight into endodegradation of heparan and dermatan sulfatesMaria Fuller
Lysosomal Diseases Research Unit, Department of Genetic Medicine, Children, Youth and Women s Health Service, North Adelaide, SA 5006, Australia
Glycobiology 16:318-25. 2006....
- Structural features of pectic polysaccharides from the skin of Opuntia ficus-indica prickly pear fruitsY Habibi
Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolecules Vegetales, C N R S, and Universite Joseph Fourier, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Carbohydr Res 339:1119-27. 2004..The side chains contained highly branched alpha-(1-->5)-linked arabinan and short linear beta-(1-->4)-linked galactan...
- Changes in cell wall pectins accompanying tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) paste manufactureMontaña Cámara Hurtado
Morning Star Packing Company, Williams and Los Banos, California, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:273-8. 2002..Juice content of polymeric uronic acids (i.e., pectin) also rose with concentration, but to a lesser degree than the increase in soluble solids...
- Compositional analysis and rheological properties of gum kondagogu (Cochlospermum gossypium): a tree gum from IndiaV T P Vinod
Jonaki, Board of Radiation and Isotope Technology, CCMB Campus, Uppal Road, Hyderabad 500 007, Andhra Pradesh, India
J Agric Food Chem 56:2199-207. 2008..Compositional analysis of the gum by HPLC and LC-MS revealed uronic acids to be the major component of the polymer ( approximately 26 mol %)...
- Soybean (Glycine max) cell wall composition and availability to feed enzymesImed Ouhida
Departament de Ciencia Animal i dels Aliments, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra E 08193, Barcelona, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 50:1933-8. 2002..1%), glucose (27.8%), arabinose (13.3%), and uronic acids (17.6%), which accounted for 76% of the water insoluble polysaccharides in soybean cotyledons (WUc)...
- The structural motif in chondroitin sulfate for adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes comprises disaccharide units of 4-O-sulfated and non-sulfated N-acetylgalactosamine linked to glucuronic acidWengang Chai
Medical Research Council Glycosciences Laboratory, Imperial College School of Medicine, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:22438-46. 2002....
- Water-soluble polysaccharides from Angelica sinensis (Oliv.) Diels: Preparation, characterization and bioactivityYuanlin Sun
School of Food Science and Technology, Southern Yangtze University, Wuxi 214036, China
Int J Biol Macromol 36:283-9. 2005..The results showed that ASP3 can protect leucocytes and lymphocytes of mice against radiation induced damage, which has potential radioprotective effect on acute radiation injured mice...
- Primary cell wall composition of bryophytes and charophytesZoë A Popper
The Edinburgh Cell Wall Group, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, The University of Edinburgh, David Rutherford Building, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JH, UK
Ann Bot 91:1-12. 2003..2) Uronic acids: acid hydrolysis of PCW-rich material from the charophytes, the hornwort, thalloid and leafy liverworts and a ..
- QUASIMODO1 is expressed in vascular tissue of Arabidopsis thaliana inflorescence stems, and affects homogalacturonan and xylan biosynthesisCaroline Orfila
Plant Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Plant Biology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Thorvaldsensvej 40, 1871, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Planta 222:613-22. 2005....
- Effects of boron deficiency in cell suspension cultures of Populus alba LKoichi Kakegawa
Department of Forest Chemistry, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Matsunosato 1, Tukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8687, Japan
Plant Cell Rep 23:573-8. 2005..Our results suggest that boron deficiency causes a weakening of the interaction among pectic polysaccharides due to a decrease in boron-rhamnogalacturonanII cross-linkage...
- Alginate is not a significant component of the extracellular polysaccharide matrix of PA14 and PAO1 Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilmsDaniel J Wozniak
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7907-12. 2003....
- Structure of a highly substituted beta-xylan of the gum exudate of the palm Livistona chinensis (Chinese fan)Juliana Maurer-Menestrina
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Parana, Caixa Postal 19046, 81531 990 Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Carbohydr Res 338:1843-50. 2003..acid hydrolysis gave 4-Me-alpha-GlcpA-(1-->2)-[beta-Xylp-(1-->4)](0-2)-Xyl, identified by showing that the uronic acids were single-unit side-chain substituents on O-2...
- Tandem mass spectrometric strategies for determination of sulfation positions and uronic acid epimerization in chondroitin sulfate oligosaccharidesJoseph Zaia
Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2526, USA
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 14:1270-81. 2003..The capability of tandem MS to differentiate uronic acid epimers is also shown, providing evidence that complete or nearly complete information on CS covalent structure may be obtained using tandem MS...
- Structural analysis of the extracellular polysaccharide produced by Sphaerotilus natansMinoru Takeda
Division of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National University, Kanagawa, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:1546-51. 2002..natans is a new gellan-like polysaccharide constructed from a tetrasaccharide repeating unit, as shown below. -->4)-alpha-D-Glcp-(1-->2)-beta-D-GlcA p-(1-->2)-alpha-L-Rha p-(1-->3)-beta-L-Rha p-(1-->...
- Induction of necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6 in mice in vivo and in murine peritoneal macrophages and human whole blood cells in vitro by Micrococcus luteus teichuronic acidsT Monodane
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Kagoshima University Dental School, Japan
J Med Microbiol 50:4-12. 2001..These findings suggest that induction of cytokines by teichuronic acids is mainly TLR4-dependent...
- Anomeric reactivity-based one-pot synthesis of heparin-like oligosaccharidesTulay Polat
Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:12795-800. 2007..L-Idopyranosyl and D-glucopyranosyl thioglycosides 5 and 10 were used as donors due to low reactivity of uronic acids as the glycosyl donors in the one-pot synthesis...
- Two related but distinct chondroitin sulfate mimetope octasaccharide sequences recognized by monoclonal antibody WF6Peraphan Pothacharoen
Thailand Excellence Center for Tissue Engineering, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
J Biol Chem 282:35232-46. 2007....
- The antitumor and antioxidative activities of polysaccharides isolated from Isaria farinosa B05Yan Hua Jiang
Institute of Food Science and Engineering, Division of Life Science and Technology, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, PR China
Microbiol Res 163:424-30. 2008..6:4.7:1.0. WIPS1 and WEPS1 had a molecular weight of 42 and 208kDa, respectively. The in vivo tests in mice indicate that WIPS1 and WEPS1 had significant antitumor and antioxidative activities to some extent...
- Structural differentiation of uronosyl substitution patterns in acidic heteroxylans by electrospray tandem mass spectrometryAna Reis
Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 15:43-7. 2004....
- Changes in cell wall composition associated with maturation in the gymnosperm Araucaria angustifoliaRenato Bochicchio
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Parana, C P 19046, CEP 81531 990, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Int J Biol Macromol 38:180-90. 2006..The changes in cell wall composition suggest that the development in gymnosperm cell walls follow the same key events as found in dicotyledon walls (type I)...
- Electrospray ionization ion-trap multistage mass spectrometric study of sodium cationized aldobiuronic and pseudoaldobiuronic acid derivativesVladimír Kovácik
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 84258 Bratislava, Slovakia
J Mass Spectrom 39:1554-61. 2004..In most cases they take place on the acidic part of the dimer and at the interglycosidic oxygen atom. As a result, the criteria for the differentiation of aldobiouronic and pseudoaldobiouronic acids derivatives were elucidated...
- Structure of aldobiouronic acid and glucuronic acid from Agathis australis degraded gum polysaccharideR B Singh
Department of Zoology, School of Life Sciences, Dr B R Ambedkar University, Khandari Campus, Agra 282 002, India
J Environ Biol 28:163-6. 2007..The components of aldobiouronic acid and glucuronic acid were obtained by graded hydrolysis of degraded gum polysaccharide. The derivatives of aldobiouronic acid was obtained as methyl ester methyl glycoside...
- [Anionic polymers of the cell wall of Streptomyces sp. VKM An-2534]E M Tul'skaia
Bioorg Khim 33:269-76. 2007..The structures were proved by chemical and NMR spectroscopic methods. It is likely that the presence of acidic polysaccharides on the surface of the phytopathogenic streptomycete is necessary for its attachment to the host plant...
- The dual roles of AlgG in C-5-epimerization and secretion of alginate polymers in Pseudomonas aeruginosaSumita Jain
Department of Microbiology, Medical College of Virginia Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, 1101 E Marshall St, Rm 5 051, Richmond, VA 23298 0678, USA
Mol Microbiol 47:1123-33. 2003..Instead of producing poly mannuronate, the algG deletion mutant secreted dialysable uronic acids, as does a mutant lacking the periplasmic protein AlgK...
- Chondroitin 4-sulphotransferase-1 and chondroitin 6-sulphotransferase-1 are affected differently by uronic acid residues neighbouring the acceptor GalNAc residuesTakayoshi Yamada
Department of Chemistry, Aichi University of Education, Igaya cho, Kariya, Aichi 448 8542, Japan
Biochem J 384:567-75. 2004..These results indicate that C4ST-1 and C6ST-1 differ from each other in the recognition of uronic acid residues adjacent to the targeted GalNAc residue...
- Effect of storage on wall-bound phenolics in green asparagusRocio C Rodriguez-Arcos
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Laboratory, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UA, United Kingdom
J Agric Food Chem 50:3197-203. 2002..The possible roles phenolic esters might have in relation to the mechanical, textural, and wound-response properties of asparagus spears are discussed...
- Isolation and characterization of structural components of Aloe vera L. leaf pulpY Ni
DelSite Biotechnologies lab c o Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 4:1745-55. 2004..These findings may help lay a basis for further studies and development of better controlled processing methods and applications for this well-accepted medicinal plant...
- Effect of bitter gourd and spent turmeric on constituents of glycosaminoglycans in different tissues in streptozotocin induced diabetic ratsG Suresh Kumar
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore 570 020, India
Mol Cell Biochem 286:53-8. 2006....
- Methyl esterification divergently affects the degradability of pectic uronosyls in nonlignified and lignified maize cell wallsJohn H Grabber
U S Dairy Forage Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, 1925 Linden Drive West, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Agric Food Chem 53:1546-9. 2005..Variations in uronosyl methylation had little effect on the overall release of total sugars from cell walls...
- Isolation and characterization of pectin from peel of Citrus tankanYukihiro Tamaki
The United Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Kagoshima University, 1 21 24 Korimoto, Kagoshima 890 0065, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:896-9. 2008..2%. The pectin was composed of D-GalA, D-Gal, L-Ara and L-Rha in the molar ratio of 100:11.3:3.6:2.6. The molecular weight was estimated to be approximately 9.2 x 10(4). The pectin formed a gel by conventional procedures...
- Analysis of tomato polygalacturonase expression in transgenic tobaccoK W Osteryoung
Mann Laboratory, Department of Vegetable Crops, University of California, Davis 95616
Plant Cell 2:1239-48. 1990..However, accumulation of the two polygalacturonase isozymes expressed in this heterologous host was insufficient to promote polyuronide degradation in tobacco leaf tissue...
- A modular strategy toward the synthesis of heparin-like oligosaccharides using monomeric building blocks in a sequential glycosylation strategyJeroen D C Codée
Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden University, PO Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
J Am Chem Soc 127:3767-73. 2005..The key 1-thio uronic acids were obtained in an efficient manner from diacetone glucose employing a chemo- and regioselective oxidation of ..
- Effects of stage of maturity and cooking on the chemical composition of select mushroom varietiesCheryl L Dikeman
Department of Animal Sciences and Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Agric Food Chem 53:1130-8. 2005..Cooking increased starch, TDF, and AHF but decreased CP and chitin concentrations. The chitin concentration increased with mushroom maturity. These results detail the complete carbohydrate profile of several important mushroom varieties...
- Pectic methyl and nonmethyl esters in potato cell wallsIain M MacKinnon
Chemistry Department, Glasgow University, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
J Agric Food Chem 50:342-6. 2002....
- Acidic glycosaminoglycans in developing sterno-costal cartilage of the hydrocephalic (ch+-ch+) mouseM Breen
Biochim Biophys Acta 304:828-36. 1973
- A unique nonreducing terminal modification of chondroitin sulfate by N-acetylgalactosamine 4-sulfate 6-o-sulfotransferaseShiori Ohtake
Department of Chemistry, Aichi University of Education, Igaya cho, Kariya, Aichi 448 8542, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:38443-52. 2003..Oligo III behaved identically with the sulfated Oligos I and II. These results suggest that GalNAc4S-6ST may be involved in the terminal modification of CS-A, through which a highly sulfated nonreducing terminal sequence is generated...
- Glycosaminoglycan content in skin of the tight-skin mouseS C Ross
Arthritis Rheum 26:653-7. 1983..Biochemical studies included determinations of hexosamines, uronic acids, and total GAGs by cetylpyridinium chloride precipitation...
- A facile preparation of uronates via selective oxidation with TEMPO/KBr/Ca(OCl)(2) under aqueous conditionsFeng Lin
State Key Laboratory of Bio organic and Natural Products Chemistry, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, China
Carbohydr Res 339:1219-23. 2004..The beneficial effect of Aliquat 336 was also disclosed in the oxidation of certain substrates...
- Variability in the carbazole assay for N-desulfonated/N-acylated heparin derivativesChristopher M Hattan
Division of Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, United States
Carbohydr Res 342:2664-9. 2007....
- Molecular dynamics and atomic charge calculations in the study of heparin conformation in aqueous solutionCamila F Becker
Centro de Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Carbohydr Res 340:1499-507. 2005..This information can be potentially of great relevance in the design of heparin-derived antithrombotic compounds...
- An atypical approach identifies TYR234 as the key base catalyst in chondroitin AC lyaseCarl S Rye
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, 2036 Main Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z1, Canada
Chembiochem 7:631-7. 2006..In addition a structural and mechanistic rationale is provided for different active-site acid/base configurations in syn and anti lyases...
- Possible role of the polyuronic components in accumulation and mobilization of iron and phosphate at the soil--root interfaceSalvatore Deiana
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali Agrarie e Biotecnologie Agroalimentari, Universita di Sassari, V le Italia 39, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Plant Physiol Biochem 45:341-9. 2007..Citric and malic acids showed to be active in the mobilization of both Fe and P whereas pyruvic acid appeared inactive...
- Purification and characterization of a beta-glucuronidase from Aspergillus nigerH Kuroyama
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Science, Saitama University, 255 Shimo-Okubo, Urawa 338-8570, Japan
Carbohydr Res 333:27-39. 2001..It released uronic acids not only from p-nitrophenyl beta-glucosiduronic acid (PNP-GlcA) but also from acidic galactooligosaccharides ..
- Potential antioxidant capacity of sulfated polysaccharides from the edible marine brown seaweed Fucus vesiculosusPilar Rupérez
Departamento de Metabolismo y Nutricion, Instituto del Frio, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Ciudad Universitaria s n, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 50:840-5. 2002..Soluble fractions (42.3% yield) were composed of neutral sugars (18.9-48 g/100 g), uronic acids (8.8-52.8 g/100 g), sulfate (2.4-11.5 g/100 g), small amounts of protein (< 1-6...
- Synthesis and evaluation of potential inhibitors of chondroitin AC lyase from Flavobacterium heparinumCarl S Rye
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, 2036 Main Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6T 1Z1
J Org Chem 67:4505-12. 2002..The anion of compound 2 was found to be a competitive inhibitor with a K(i) value of 5 mM, whereas the conjugate acid had a K(i) value of 35 mM...
- Galactosaminoglycan composition in chicken eggshellT Nakano
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Poult Sci 81:709-14. 2002..Results of chondroitinase-ABC digestion demonstrated 4-sulfated disaccharides to be the major repeating units in the chicken eggshell galactosaminoglycans...
- [Interaction of nucleic acids and glycans]A N Zimnitskiĭ
Biofizika 52:443-51. 2007..The data obtained suggest the existence of template synthesis of GAG polysaccharide fragments with the participation of NA...
- Fractional and structural characterization of hemicelluloses from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) and cocksfoot grass (Dactylis glomerata)F Xu
College of Material Science and Technology, Beijing Forestry University, Beijing 100083, China
Carbohydr Res 341:2073-82. 2006..4-38.2%), uronic acids (9.3-15.3%) and rhamnose (3.0-3.9%), but were lower in glucose (25.1-28.3%), galactose (13.3-15...
- Acacia senegal gum: continuum of molecular species differing by their protein to sugar ratio, molecular weight, and chargesDenis Renard
Unité de recherches Biopolymères, Interactions, Assemblages, INRA, rue de la Geraudiere, BP 71627 44316 Nantes Cedex 3, France
Biomacromolecules 7:2637-49. 2006..In addition, both sugars content (neutral and uronic acids) and UV profiles revealed that FIII was composed of a continuum of molecular species differing both by their ..
- Partial characterisation of high-molecular weight glycoconjugates in the trail mucus of the freshwater pond snail Lymnaea stagnalisSimon Ballance
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 137:475-86. 2004..of the glycopeptides is consistent with mucin-like molecules, there being no significant amounts of xylose or uronic acids. The residual 20% of the preparation, which apparently resisted reduction and protease digestion, had a similar ..
- Carbohydrate metabolism of eggs of the whitefish, Coregonus spp. during embryogenesis and its relationship with egg qualityFranz Lahnsteiner
Department for Organismic Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstrasse 34, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 142:46-55. 2005..Coregonus spp. eggs contained hexoses, ketoses, 6-deoxyhexoses, heptoses and uronic acids with hexoses, ketoses, and 6-deoxysugars occurring free and in bound form...
- Determination of saccharide content in pneumococcal polysaccharides and conjugate vaccines by GC-MSDJohn S Kim
Wyeth Vaccine, Research and Development, 4300 Oak Park, Sanford, NC 27330, USA
Anal Biochem 347:262-74. 2005..Monosaccharides released during methanolysis included hexoses, uronic acids, 6-deoxy-hexoses, amino sugars, and alditols...
- Effect of procyanidolic oligomers of Vitis vinifera on the biosynthesis and excretion of corneal glycosaminoglycansA M Robert
Laboratoire de Recherche Ophtalmologique, Hopital Hotel Dieu, Universite Paris 5, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 53:411-5. 2005..This was accomplished by the determination of their chemical components, hexoses, hexosamines and uronic acids as well as the incorporation of (35)S-sulfate in the presence and without PCO in the culture medium...
- Ion chromatography characterization of polysaccharides in ancient wall paintingsMaria Perla Colombin
Dipartimento di Scienze dell Ambiente e del Territorio, University of Milano Bicocca, Milan, Italy
J Chromatogr A 968:79-88. 2002..separation of seven monosaccharides (fucose, rhamnose, arabinose, galactose, glucose, mannose, xylose) and two uronic acids (galacturonic and glucuronic) was achieved in 40 min...
- Convergent evolution sheds light on the anti-beta -elimination mechanism common to family 1 and 10 polysaccharide lyasesSimon J Charnock
York Structural Biology Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5YW, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12067-72. 2002Enzyme-catalyzed beta-elimination of sugar uronic acids, exemplified by the degradation of plant cell wall pectins, plays an important role in a wide spectrum of biological processes ranging from the recycling of plant biomass through to ..
- Two genes in Arabidopsis thaliana encoding GDP-L-galactose phosphorylase are required for ascorbate biosynthesis and seedling viabilityJohn Dowdle
School of Biosciences, University of Exeter, Geoffrey Pope Building, Stocker Road, Exeter EX4 4QD, UK
Plant J 52:673-89. 2007Plants synthesize ascorbate from guanosine diphosphate (GDP)-mannose via L-galactose/L-gulose, although uronic acids have also been proposed as precursors...
- Characteristics of bioemulsifier V2-7 synthesized in culture media added of hydrocarbons: chemical composition, emulsifying activity and rheological propertiesF Martínez-Checa
Microbial Exopolysaccharide Research Group, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Spain
Bioresour Technol 98:3130-5. 2007..Respect to chemical composition, percentage of uronic acids found in exopolymers produced in hydrocarbon media was always higher than that described for V2-7 EPS (1...
- Structural modification induced in heparin by a Fenton-type depolymerization processElena Vismara
G Natta Chemistry Department, Polytechnic of Milan, V Mancinelli 7, 20131 Milan, Italy
Semin Thromb Hemost 33:466-77. 2007..Natural uronic acids, especially the 2- O-sulfate iduronic acid (I (2S)), are also present as reducing residues...
- Direct detection of HSulf-1 and HSulf-2 activities on extracellular heparan sulfate and their inhibition by PI-88Md Motarab Hossain
Section of Pathophysiology and Neurobiology, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, 36 3 Gengo, Morioka, Obu, Aichi 474 8522, Japan
Glycobiology 20:175-86. 2010..The state of sulfation in glucosamines and uronic acids within the chains strongly influences their binding...
- Analysis of carbohydrates in wood and pulps employing enzymatic hydrolysis and subsequent capillary zone electrophoresisO Dahlman
Swedish Pulp and Paper Research Institute, Stockholm
J Chromatogr A 891:157-74. 2000..All reducing sugars (i.e., neutral monosaccharides and uronic acids) which occur as structural elements in the polysaccharides of wood and pulp can be quantitated in a single such ..
- Inhibition of croton oil-induced oedema in mice ear skin by capsular polysaccharides from cyanobacteriaN Garbacki
Laboratoire de Pharmacognosie, Institut de Pharmacie, CHU, Tour 4, Universite de Liege, Belgium
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 361:460-4. 2000..Analysis of five of the extracts showed the presence of neutral sugars (from 34.3% to 47.1%, w/w), uronic acids (from 7.1% to 26.7%, w/w) and proteins (from 30.1% to 57.0%, w/w) in the crude polymer...
- Structure and chemical composition of the cell walls from the haploid yeast and mycelial forms of Ustilago maydisJ Ruiz-Herrera
Department of Genética y Biología Molecular, Unidad México, D F, Mexico
Fungal Genet Biol 20:133-42. 1996..No chitosan or uronic acids were detected...
- Analysis of microbial extracellular polysaccharides in biofilms by HPLC. Part I: Development of the analytical method using two complementary stationary phasesStefan Meisen
Instrumental Analytical Chemistry, University of Duisburg Essen, Lotharstr 1, 47057, Duisburg, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 391:993-1002. 2008..A procedure for the qualitative and quantitative determination of various monosaccharides, oligosaccharides and uronic acids as important components of the carbohydrate fraction of microbial EPS by high-performance liquid chromatography ..
- Polysaccharides from the skin of the ray Raja radula. Partial characterization and anticoagulant activityMohamed Ben Mansour
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie 04 UR 01 09, Faculte de Medecine, Monastir, Tunisia
Thromb Res 123:671-8. 2009..The polysaccharide fraction from the skin of the ray Raja radula was extracted, characterized and assayed for anticoagulant activity...
- Occurrence and composition of extracellular lipids and polysaccharides in a full-scale membrane bioreactorDjamila Al-Halbouni
Institute of Hygiene and Environmental Health, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
Water Res 43:97-106. 2009..Photometric analysis of sugars showed that uronic acids (glucuronic, mannuronic and galacturonic acid) as common units of bacterial polysaccharides accounted for 8% (w/..
- [Polar components of Black sea seaweed Colpomenia peregrina (Sauv.) Hamel]A I Usov
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninskii pr 47, GSP Moscow, 119991 Russia
Bioorg Khim 30:182-9. 2004..a complex heteropolysaccharide containing, in addition to fucose and sulfate, other neutral monosaccharides and uronic acids. The English version of the paper: Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, 2004, vol. 30, no...
- Expression of UDP-glucose dehydrogenase reduces cell-wall polysaccharide concentration and increases xylose content in alfalfa stemsDeborah A Samac
USDA ARS Plant Science Research, 495 Borlaug Hall, 1991 Upper Buford Circle, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 113:1167-82. 2004The primary cell-wall matrix of most higher plants is composed of large amounts of uronic acids, primarily D-galacturonic acid residues in the backbone of pectic polysaccharides...
- Effect of polysaccharide from Auricularia auricula on blood lipid metabolism and lipoprotein lipase activity of ICR mice fed a cholesterol-enriched dietG Chen
College of Food Science and Nutritional Engineering, China Agricultural Univ, Beijing, China
J Food Sci 73:H103-8. 2008..5% total carbohydrate, 19.6% uronic acids, 15.8% sulfate groups, 1.7% N, and 20.3% ash...
- Enhancement of nitrifying biofilm formation using selected EPS produced by heterotrophic bacteriaS Tsuneda
Department of Chemical Engineering, Waseda University, 3 4 1 Ohkubo, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 169 8555, Japan
Water Sci Technol 43:197-204. 2001..Among EPS components, the concentration of uronic acids gave a good correlation with flocculation ability, which suggests that acidic polysaccharides play a major role ..
- Differences in carbohydrate profiles in batch culture grown planktonic and biofilm cells of Amphora rostrata Wm. SmVishwas B Khodse
National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa, India
Biofouling 26:527-37. 2010..two modes of growth, the concentration of total carbohydrates, carbohydrate fractions, neutral carbohydrates, uronic acids and amino sugars in planktonic and biofilm cells of Amphora rostrata were measured...
- Microbial signature lipid profiling and exopolysaccharides: experiences initiated with Professor David C White and transported to Tasmania, AustraliaPeter D Nichols
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, CSIRO Food Futures Flagship, GPO Box 1538, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia
J Microbiol Methods 74:33-46. 2008..pollutant halogenated hydrocarbons in groundwater and subsurface aquifers; exploiting the ubiquitous nature of uronic acids in microbial EPS to quantify these exopolymers in complex environmental samples; development of rapid and non-..
- Bacterial exopolysaccharides from extreme marine habitats: production, characterization and biological activitiesAnnarita Poli
Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, C N R, Via Campi Flegrei 34, Pozzuoli, Naples, Italy
Mar Drugs 8:1779-802. 2010..Some EPS are neutral macromolecules, but the majority of them are polyanionic for the presence of uronic acids or ketal-linked pyruvate or inorganic residues such as phosphate or sulfate...
- Effect of germination on the carbohydrate composition of the dietary fiber of peas (Pisum sativum L.)María A Martín-Cabrejas
Departamento de Quimica Agricola, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid UAM, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 51:1254-9. 2003..IDF) and soluble dietary fiber (SDF) were subjected to acid hydrolysis, and the resultant neutral sugars, uronic acids, and Klason lignin were quantified...
- Extracellular polymeric substances mediate bioleaching/biocorrosion via interfacial processes involving iron(III) ions and acidophilic bacteriaWolfgang Sand
Universitat Duisburg Essen, Biofilm Centre, Aquatische Biotechnologie, Geibelstrasse 41, D 47057 Duisburg, Germany
Res Microbiol 157:49-56. 2006..mediate attachment to a (metal) sulfide surface, and (ii) to concentrate iron(III) ions by complexation through uronic acids or other residues at the mineral surface, thus, allowing an oxidative attack on the sulfide...
- In vitro anti-adhesive activity of green tea extract against pathogen adhesionJi Hye Lee
Department of Food Technology, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul 136 701, Korea
Phytother Res 23:460-6. 2009..CSI-4) with the maximum yield of 4% (w/v) is composed of a major proportion of carbohydrates containing 40% uronic acids, but lack of catechins...
- Functional characterization of D-galacturonic acid reductase, a key enzyme of the ascorbate biosynthesis pathway, from Euglena gracilisTakahiro Ishikawa
Department of Life and Environmental Sciences, Shimane University, Nishikawatsu, Matsue, Shimane, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70:2720-6. 2006..Apparently it utilized NADPH with a Km value of 62.5+/-4.5 microM and uronic acids, such as D-galacturonic acid (Km=3.79+/-0.5 mM) and D-glucuronic acid (Km=4.67+/-0.6 mM)...
- Bioflocculant exopolysaccharide production by Azotobacter indicus using flower extract of Madhuca latifolia LSatish V Patil
School of Life Sciences, North Maharashtra University, Post Box 80, Jalgaon 425001, Maharashtra, India
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 162:1095-108. 2010..polymer was characterized by different chemical tests, FT-IR spectroscopy, and TLC which showed presence of uronic acids, O-acetyl groups, and Orcinol with suggestive indication of alginate like polymer...
- Glycoprotein emulsifiers from two marine Halomonas species: chemical and physical characterizationT Gutierrez
Microbial and Molecular Biology Department, Scottish Association for Marine Science, Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory, Oban, Scotland, UK
J Appl Microbiol 103:1716-27. 2007..To partially purify and characterize bioemulsifiers produced by two new marine Halomonas species, TG39 and TG67, and to compare their emulsifying activities with those of commercial emulsifiers...
- Physiological and biochemical investigations on egg stickiness in common carpN Mansour
Department of Organismic Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstr 34, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Anim Reprod Sci 114:256-68. 2009..Glucose, fructose, galactose, and uronic acids were the major carbohydrates...
- The pathway via D-galacturonate/L-galactonate is significant for ascorbate biosynthesis in Euglena gracilis: identification and functional characterization of aldonolactonaseTakahiro Ishikawa
Faculty of Life and Environmental Science, Shimane University, Matsue, Shimane 690 8504, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:31133-41. 2008..The identification of aldonolactonase provides the first insight into the biosynthesis of AsA via uronic acids as the intermediate in photosynthetic algae including Euglena.
- Overexpression of pectin methylesterase inhibitors in Arabidopsis restricts fungal infection by Botrytis cinereaVincenzo Lionetti
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, 00185 Rome, Italy
Plant Physiol 143:1871-80. 2007..While the content of uronic acids in transformed plants was not significantly different from that of wild type, the degree of pectin ..
- Digestibility by dairy cows of monosaccharide constituents in total mixed rations containing citrus pulpJ Miron
Institute of Animal Science, Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, Bet Dagan, Israel
J Dairy Sci 85:89-94. 2002..Across treatments, neutral detergent fiber (NDF) glucose was more digestible than NDF xylose and uronic acids and less digestible than NDF arabinose, galactose, and mannose...
- GC/MS analytical procedure for the characterization of glycerolipids, natural waxes, terpenoid resins, proteinaceous and polysaccharide materials in the same paint microsample avoiding interferences from inorganic mediaAnna Lluveras
Laboratory of Chemical Science for Safeguarding the Cultural Heritage, Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry, University of Pisa, Via Risorgimento 35, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Anal Chem 82:376-86. 2010..and analyzed separately by GC/MS, thus enabling a quantitative analysis to be performed on aldoses and uronic acids, amino acids, mono- and dicarboxylic aliphatic acids, to determine polysaccharide, proteinaceous, and ..
- Signature active site architectures illuminate the molecular basis for ligand specificity in family 35 carbohydrate binding moduleMárcia A S Correia
CIISA, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, Pólo Universitário do Alto da Ajuda, Avenida da Universidade Tecnica, 1300 477 Lisboa, Portugal
Biochemistry 49:6193-205. 2010..binding site of the CBM displays significant structural similarity with calcium-dependent CBM35s that target uronic acids, subtle differences in the conformation of conserved residues in the ligand binding site lead to the loss of ..
- Optimization of the extraction of anthocyanin from Bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miq.) marc produced during traditional wine processing and characterization of the extractsC S Ku
Department of Advanced Organic Materials Engineering, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Jeonbuk 561 756, Republic of Korea
Bioresour Technol 99:8325-30. 2008..and pectin) in Bokbunja marc underwent significant variation toward the formation of by-products (glycerol and uronic acids) during yeast fermentation, and that the amount of anthocyanin produced was reduced 10-fold when compared to ..
- Structural analysis and antiviral activity of a sulfated galactan from the red seaweed Schizymenia binderi (Gigartinales, Rhodophyta)Betty Matsuhiro
Departamento de Ciencias Quimicas, Facultad de Quimica y Biologia, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, Casilla 40, Santiago 33, Chile
Carbohydr Res 340:2392-402. 2005..0:0.89 together with uronic acids (6.8 wt%) and minor amounts of other neutral sugars...
- Changes in polysaccharide and protein composition of cell walls in grape berry skin (Cv. Shiraz) during ripening and over-ripeningAnysia Vicens
INRA, UMR 1083, F 34060 Montpellier, France
J Agric Food Chem 57:2955-60. 2009..content of insoluble polysaccharides was observed, as well as a significant de-esterification of methoxylated uronic acids, indicating that some modifications occur in cell wall polysaccharides...
- Comparison of the complexation potential of extracellular polymeric substances (EPS), extracted from activated sludges and produced by pure bacteria strains, for cadmium, lead and nickelGilles Guibaud
Laboratoire des Sciences de l Eau et de l Environnement, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques, Universite de Limoges, 123, Avenue Albert Thomas, 87060 Limoges Cedex, France
Chemosphere 59:629-38. 2005..extracted from pure bacteria cultures are mainly composed of proteins and low quantities of polysaccharides and uronic acids in comparison with EPS extracted from activated sludges...
- Characterization of the cell wall of the ubiquitous plant pathogen Botrytis cinereaDario Cantu
Department of Plant Sciences, University of California Davis, One Shields Ave, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Mycol Res 113:1396-403. 2009..Neutral sugars and proteins constituted most of the mass of the B. cinerea cell walls, although chitin and uronic acids were detected...
- Brown algae overproduce cell wall polysaccharides as a protection mechanism against the heavy metal toxicityLeonardo R Andrade
Laboratório de Biomineralização, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, CCS, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Cidade Universitaria, 21941 590 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Mar Pollut Bull 60:1482-8. 2010..We found that raw dried polysaccharides, sulfate groups, uronic acids, fucose, mannose, and galactose were significantly higher in contaminated algae compared with the control ones...
- Application and comparison of four selected procedures for the isolation of cell-wall material from the skin of grapes cv. MonastrellR Apolinar-Valiente
Departamento de Tecnologia de Alimentos, Nutricion y Bromatologia, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Murcia, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 660:206-10. 2010..Regarding the carbohydrates composition, the four different CWM were rich in uronic acids and glucose, together with varying amounts of arabinose, xylose, mannose and galactose...
- Azithromycin blocks quorum sensing and alginate polymer formation and increases the sensitivity to serum and stationary-growth-phase killing of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and attenuates chronic P. aeruginosa lung infection in Cftr(-/-) miceNadine Hoffmann
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Rigshospitalet, Institute for Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Panum Institute 24 1, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3677-87. 2007..alginate by the incomplete precipitation of polymerized alginate and high levels of readily dialyzable uronic acids. In addition, we find that mucoid bacteria in the stationary growth phase became sensitive to AZM, whereas ..
- An arabinogalactan-protein from cell culture of Malva sylvestrisBirgit Classen
Pharmazeutisches Institut der Christian Albrechts Universität Kiel, Abteilung Pharmazeutische Biologie, Kiel, Germany
Planta Med 68:232-6. 2002..9 : 1, some uronic acids, and a small protein moiety with the main amino acids serine, alanine and hydroxyproline...
- PHYSIOCHEMICAL EFFECTS OF DIETARY FIBER IN HUMANSJUDITH MARLETT; Fiscal Year: 1990..Soluble and insoluble fractions of each fiber will be analyzed for individual pentoses and hexoses by HPLC, uronic acids, beta-glucans and lignin content...
- Gene Discovery and Heparan Sulfate BiogenesisJeffrey D Esko; Fiscal Year: 2010..interactions depend to a large extent on the composition and the arrangement of sulfated sugars and epimers of uronic acids in the heparan sulfate chains, which in turn depend on the substrate specificity of various biosynthetic ..
- ROLE OF CAPSULAR POLYSACCHARIDE IN ENTERIC VIRULENCEMary Carruthers; Fiscal Year: 1980..This material contains fucose, galactose, sialic acid and uronic acids. It is immunogenic in rabbits and does not induce antibody to the homologous O antigen...
- GENETIC REGULATION OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 1999..3. Modification of heparan sulfate. A new mutant (clone 17) was found to lack 2-O-sulfated uronic acids in heparan sulfate...
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein BindingJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- A Thermo Electron LTQ Mass SpectrometerJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..The salary for the instrument operator will be provided by the Dean of BU School of Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein BindingJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Post-biosynthetic remodeling of heparan sulfateJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research will explore the structure-function relationships of vascular heparan sulfates in order to inform efforts to develop protein binding microarrays, drugs and therapeutics. ..
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein BindingJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein BindingJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- An in-situ gelling nasal vaccine delivery platformYAWEI NI; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will form the basis for phase II development of this platform targeting demonstration of safety and efficacy against selected pathogens that have significant unmet medical and biodefense needs in humans. ..
- An Inactivated Influenza Nasal Powder VaccineYAWEI NI; Fiscal Year: 2004..Completion of these preclinical studies will form the basis for an IND submission. ..