Genomes and Genes
Summary: A polyhydric alcohol with about half the sweetness of sucrose. Sorbitol occurs naturally and is also produced synthetically from glucose. It was formerly used as a diuretic and may still be used as a laxative and in irrigating solutions for some surgical procedures. It is also used in many manufacturing processes, as a pharmaceutical aid, and in several research applications.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- TDP-43 is directed to stress granules by sorbitol, a novel physiological osmotic and oxidative stressorColleen M Dewey
Department of Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9111, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:1098-108. 2011..In this study, we establish sorbitol as a novel physiological stressor that directs TDP-43 to stress granules in Hek293T cells and primary cultured ..
- Gene expression profiles and intracellular contents of stress protectants in Saccharomyces cerevisiae under ethanol and sorbitol stressesTomohiro Kaino
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 79:273-83. 2008..When yeast cells were exposed to 1 M sorbitol stress, the expression of GPD1 encoding glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase is induced, leading to glycerol ..
- In vitro screening of potato against water-stress mediated through sorbitol and polyethylene glycolJai Gopal
Crop Science Laboratory, Research Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 8589 Japan
Plant Cell Rep 26:693-700. 2007..Different levels of water-stress were induced using five concentrations of either sorbitol or polyethylene glycol (PEG) in MS medium. Water potential of various media ranged from -0.80 MPa to -2.05 MPa...
- Sorbitol-fermenting enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- causes another outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome in childrenK Alpers
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Epidemiol Infect 137:389-95. 2009An outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) among children caused by infection with sorbitol-fermenting enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- (SF EHEC O157:H-) occurred in Germany in 2002...
- Erythrocyte aldose reductase activity and sorbitol levels in diabetic retinopathyG Bhanuprakash Reddy
National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad, India
Mol Vis 14:593-601. 2008..We investigated the relationship between ALR2 levels and human DR by measuring ALR2 activity and its product, sorbitol, in erythrocytes.
- Aldose reductase inhibition counteracts oxidative-nitrosative stress and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation in tissue sites for diabetes complicationsIrina G Obrosova
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, 6400 Perkins Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Diabetes 54:234-42. 2005..kg(-1) . day(-1)) for 6 weeks starting from induction of diabetes. Sorbitol pathway intermediate, but not glucose, accumulation in sciatic nerve and retina was completely prevented in ..
- Dietary sources of aldose reductase inhibitors: prospects for alleviating diabetic complicationsMegha Saraswat
National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17:558-65. 2008..in high glucose containing medium was used to underscore the significance in terms of prevention of intracellular sorbitol accumulation...
- Sorbitol co-feeding reduces metabolic burden caused by the overexpression of a Rhizopus oryzae lipase in Pichia pastorisRamon Ramon
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, ETSE, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 130:39-46. 2007..pastoris, the effect of sorbitol/methanol mixed substrates was tested in batch and fed-batch cultures...
- Sorbitol dehydrogenase overexpression potentiates glucose toxicity to cultured retinal pericytesShinjiro Amano
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, 830 0011, Kurume, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299:183-8. 2002The polyol pathway consists of two enzymes, aldose reductase (AR) and sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- Chromosomal dynamism in progeny of outbreak-related sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NMMartina Bielaszewska
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitat Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:1900-9. 2006b>Sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM (nonmotile) is a unique clone that causes outbreaks of hemorrhagic colitis and hemolytic-uremic syndrome...
- Catalytic mechanism of Zn2+-dependent polyol dehydrogenases: kinetic comparison of sheep liver sorbitol dehydrogenase with wild-type and Glu154-->Cys forms of yeast xylitol dehydrogenaseMario Klimacek
Institute of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12 I, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Biochem J 404:421-9. 2007Co-ordination of catalytic Zn2+ in sorbitol/xylitol dehydrogenases of the medium-chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamily involves direct or water-mediated interactions from a glutamic acid residue, which substitutes a homologous ..
- Plasmolysis effects and osmotic potential of two phylogenetically distinct alpine strains of Klebsormidium (Streptophyta)Franziska Kaplan
Institute of Botany, Functional Plant Biology, University of Innsbruck, Sternwartestrasse 15, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
Protoplasma 249:789-804. 2012..investigated in two different Klebsormidium strains from alpine habitats by incubation in 300-2,000 (3,000) mM sorbitol. Several members of this genus were previously found to tolerate desiccation in the vegetative state yet ..
- Turgor pressure regulation and the orientation of cortical microtubules in Spirogyra cellsK Iwata
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, Hirakata, Osaka, 573-0101 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 42:594-8. 2001..5 h, 0.25 M. Similar changes in MT orientation and recovery of the turgor pressure were also observed in 0.30 M sorbitol solution. These results suggest that the MT orientation may be correlated with the turgor pressure...
- Sorbitol-fermenting, β-glucuronidase-positive, Shiga toxin-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 in free-ranging red deer in South-Central SpainSandra Diaz
Instituto de Investigacion en Recursos Cinegeticos, CSIC UCLM JCCM, Ciudad Real, Spain
Foodborne Pathog Dis 8:1313-5. 2011..coli O157:H7 in free-ranging red deer in south-central Spain, to assess their potential as reservoir hosts of sorbitol-fermenting (SF) E. coli O157:H7 strains, which are emerging causes of hemolytic uremic syndrome in Europe...
- Cryoprotective role of polyols independent of the increase in supercooling capacity in diapausing adults of Pyrrhocoris apterus (Heteroptera: Insecta)V Kost'ál
Institute of Entomology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 130:365-74. 2001Diapausing cold-acclimated adults of the bug Pyrrhocoris apterus accumulate four 'winter' polyols, ribitol, sorbitol, mannitol and arabinitol, in total concentrations of up to 100 mM...
- Identification of common subpopulations of non-sorbitol-fermenting, beta-glucuronidase-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 from bovine production environments and human clinical samplesZhijie Yang
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68583 0919, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:6846-54. 2004Non-sorbitol-fermenting, beta-glucuronidase-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains are regarded as a clone complex, and populations from different geographical locations are believed to share a recent common ancestor...
- Studies of rat and human retinas predict a role for the polyol pathway in human diabetic retinopathyZeina Dagher
Harvard Medical School, Schepens Eye Research Institute, 20 Staniford St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Diabetes 53:2404-11. 2004The polyol (sorbitol) pathway of glucose metabolism is activated in many cell types when intracellular glucose concentrations are high, and it can generate cellular stress through several mechanisms...
- Recycling of Shiga toxin 2 genes in sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NMAlexander Mellmann
Institute of Hygiene, University of Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:67-72. 2008..eae probes and agglutination in anti-O157 lipopolysaccharide serum, we isolated stx(2)-positive and eae-positive sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM (nonmotile) strains from initial stool ..
- Effect of glucose on assimilatory sulphate reduction in Arabidopsis thaliana rootsHolger Hesse
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Department of Molecular Physiology, Am Muehlenberg 1, D 14476 Golm, Germany
J Exp Bot 54:1701-9. 2003..Treatment of roots with d-sorbitol or d-mannitol did not increase APR activity, indicating that osmotic stress was not involved in APR regulation...
- Aldose reductase induced by hyperosmotic stress mediates cardiomyocyte apoptosis: differential effects of sorbitol and mannitolAnita S Galvez
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad de Chile, Santiago 6640750, Chile
J Biol Chem 278:38484-94. 2003Cells adapt to hyperosmotic conditions by several mechanisms, including accumulation of sorbitol via induction of the polyol pathway. Failure to adapt to osmotic stress can result in apoptotic cell death...
- Abnormal breath tests to lactose, fructose and sorbitol in irritable bowel syndrome may be explained by small intestinal bacterial overgrowthG Nucera
Internal Medicine Department, Gemelli Hospital, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1391-5. 2005Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and sugar malabsorption (lactose, fructose, sorbitol) may play a role in irritable bowel syndrome...
- Interference of bovine herpesvirus 1 (BHV-1) in sorbitol-Induced apoptosisL De Martino
Department of Pathology and Animal Health, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Naples Federico II, 80137 Naples, Italy
J Cell Biochem 89:373-80. 2003..ability of bovine herpesvirus type 1 (BHV-1) to suppress apoptosis, we examined the effects of BHV-1 infection on sorbitol-induced apoptosis on Madin-Darby bovine kidney (MDBK) cells...
- Salivary mutans streptococci and dental caries in three-year-old children after maternal exposure to chewing gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine, and fluorideIngrid Thorild
Public Dental Clinic, Varberg, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:245-50. 2004..aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of maternal use of chewing gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine, and fluoride on salivary mutans streptococci (MS) counts and caries prevalence in the mothers' 3-..
- Ileocolic perforation secondary to sodium polystyrene sulfonate in sorbitol use: a case reportVincent Trottier
Department of General Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Affilie Universitaire De Quebec, Quebec City, Quebec
Can J Gastroenterol 23:689-90. 2009..It can lead to various complications including cardiac arrhythmias. Sodium polystyrene sulfonate (SPS) in sorbitol is an ion-exchange resin that can be used to treat hyperkalemia. It can be used in enema or in oral form...
- Effects of trehalose and sorbitol on the activity and structure of Pseudomonas cepacia lipase: spectroscopic insightAzadeh Azizi
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Int J Biol Macromol 49:652-6. 2011..In this study we have investigated the effects of sorbitol and trehalose on the structural stability and activity of Pseudomonas cepacia lipase (PCL), using UV-visible, ..
- Successful treatment of a colonic ulcer penetrating the urinary bladder caused by the administration of calcium polystyrene sulfonate and sorbitolTakeshi Shioya
Surgery for Organ Function and Biological Regulation, Graduate School of Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 74:359-63. 2007..After admission, she received oral calcium polystyrene sulfonate and sorbitol to treat hyperkalemia. Nine days later, severe abdominal pain developed...
- Influence of NaCl and sorbitol on the stability of conformations of cytochrome cJ Bágel'ová
Department of Biophysics, Institute of Experimental Physics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Watsonova 47, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Biophys Chem 135:110-5. 2008Influence of ionic (NaCl) and non-ionic (sorbitol) additives on structural transitions of cytochrome c was investigated by circular dichroism, optical and EPR spectroscopy...
- Sorbitol-induced apoptosis of human leukemia is mediated by caspase activation and cytochrome c releaseGabriella Marfe
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Arch Toxicol 82:371-7. 2008It has been reported that sorbitol induces apoptosis in several cancer cell lines. However, the molecular mechanism underlying the sorbitol-induced apoptotic process is not yet clearly understood...
- Sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157: indications for an animal reservoirD Orth
Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University and Austrian Reference Laboratory for EHEC STEC VTEC, Innsbruck, Austria
Epidemiol Infect 134:719-23. 2006This study investigates a sorbitol-fermenting enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (SF EHEC) O157 infection in a farmer's family in the Austrian province of Salzburg...
- Osmotic stress up-regulates aquaporin-3 gene expression in cultured human keratinocytesY Sugiyama
Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Ltd, 5-3-28 Kotobuki-cho, 250-0002, Odawara, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1522:82-8. 2001..Incubation of keratinocytes in sorbitol-added hypertonic medium increased AQP3 mRNA expression...
- The biotechnological production of sorbitolM M Silveira
Universidade de Caxias do Sul Instituto de Biotecnologia CP 1352, 95001 970 Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 59:400-8. 2002b>Sorbitol, a polyol found in many fruits, is of increasing industrial interest as a sweetener, humectant, texturizer and softener. At present, it is produced chemically...
- Attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform mid-infrared spectroscopic quantification of sorbitol and sorbose during a Gluconobacter biotransformation processSue Macauley-Patrick
Strathclyde Fermentation Centre, Department of Bioscience, University of Strathclyde, 204 George St, Glasgow G1 1XW, UK
Biotechnol Lett 25:257-60. 2003Mid-infrared spectroscopy (MIRS) was used to simultaneously detect and predict concentrations of D-sorbitol and L-sorbose during a Gluconobacter suboxydans biotransformation...
- Cattle can be a reservoir of sorbitol-fermenting shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H(-) strains and a source of human diseasesM Bielaszewska
Institute for Medical Microbiology, The 2nd Medical Faculty, Charles University, 150 06 Prague, Czech Republic
J Clin Microbiol 38:3470-3. 2000Using the immunomagnetic separation procedure, we isolated sorbitol-fermenting (SF) Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) O157:H(-) strains from two patients, one with hemolytic-uremic syndrome and the other with diarrhea, and ..
- Transcranial doppler monitoring of intracranial pressure therapy with mannitol, sorbitol and glycerol in patients with acute strokeJ Treib
Department of Neurology, University of the Saarland, Homburg, Germany
Eur Neurol 40:212-9. 1998..Using transcranial Doppler (TCD), a continuous monitoring of ICP is now possible, because the TCD pulsatility index (PI) intraindividually closely correlates with the level of ICP...
- Molecular properties of membrane-bound FAD-containing D-sorbitol dehydrogenase from thermotolerant Gluconobacter frateurii isolated from ThailandHirohide Toyama
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:1120-9. 2005There are two types of membrane-bound D-sorbitol dehydrogenase (SLDH) reported: PQQ-SLDH, having pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), and FAD-SLDH, containing FAD and heme c as the prosthetic groups...
- Parallel activation of Ca(2+)-induced survival and death pathways in cardiomyocytes by sorbitol-induced hyperosmotic stressM Chiong
Centro FONDAP Estudios Moleculares de la Celula, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Apoptosis 15:887-903. 2010..Here, we investigated if Ca(2+) signals contribute to this response. Exposure of cardiomyocytes to sorbitol [600 mosmol (kg water)(-1)] elicited large and oscillatory intracellular Ca(2+) concentration increases...
- Noninvasive functional liver blood flow measurement: comparison between bolus dose and steady-state clearance of sorbitol in a small-rodent modelBen van der Hoven
Department of Intensive Care, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G177-81. 2010Plasma clearance of D-sorbitol, a nontoxic polyol, occurs predominantly in the liver and has been used to measure functional liver blood flow after bolus and steady- state intravenous administration...
- Association of prescription of oral sodium polystyrene sulfonate with sorbitol in an inpatient setting with colonic necrosis: a retrospective cohort studyMaura A Watson
Nephrology Service, Department of Medicine, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 60:409-16. 2012Colonic necrosis has been reported after sodium polystyrene sulfonate (SPS)/sorbitol use, but the incidence and relative risk (RR) are not established.
- Lidocaine/monoethylglycinexylidide test, galactose elimination test, and sorbitol elimination test for metabolic assessment of liver cell bioreactorsJörg C Gerlach
Department of Surgery, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Artif Organs 34:462-72. 2010..Measurements of monoethylglycinexylidide synthesis and elimination of lidocaine, galactose elimination, and sorbitol elimination proved to be useful for routine QA of primary liver cell cultures...
- Guanidine-containing molecular transporters: sorbitol-based transporters show high intracellular selectivity toward mitochondriaKaustabh K Maiti
Department of Chemistry, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790 784, Korea
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 46:5880-4. 2007
- Desperately seeking diarrhoea: outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome caused by emerging sorbitol-fermenting shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H-, Germany, 2009S Nielsen
European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training EPIET, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control ECDC, Stockholm, Sweden
Zoonoses Public Health 58:567-72. 2011Infection with sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H- (sf STEC O157:H-) is rare, but emerging in Europe...
- Fibre-optic biosensor based on luminescence and immobilized enzymes: microdetermination of sorbitol, ethanol and oxaloacetateS M Gautier
Laboratoire de Génie Enzymatique Atelier de Biotechnologie, CNRS Université Claude Bernard Lyon, Villeurbanne, France
J Biolumin Chemilumin 5:57-63. 1990..Various NAD(P)-dependent enzymes, sorbitol dehydrogenase, alcohol dehydrogenase and malate dehydrogenase, were co-immobilized on preactivated polyamide ..
- Inhibition of aldose reductase by dietary antioxidant curcumin: mechanism of inhibition, specificity and significanceP Muthenna
Biochemistry Division, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad 500 604, India
FEBS Lett 583:3637-42. 2009Accumulation of intracellular sorbitol due to increased aldose reductase (ALR2) activity has been implicated in the development of various secondary complications of diabetes...
- Distinct physiological roles of two membrane-bound dehydrogenases responsible for D-sorbitol oxidation in Gluconobacter frateuriiWichai Soemphol
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:842-50. 2008Two different membrane-bound enzymes oxidizing D-sorbitol are found in Gluconobacter frateurii THD32: pyroloquinoline quinone-dependent glycerol dehydrogenase (PQQ-GLDH) and FAD-dependent D-sorbitol dehydrogenase (FAD-SLDH)...
- Molar concentrations of sorbitol and polyethylene glycol inhibit the Plasmodium aquaglyceroporin but not that of E. coli: involvement of the channel vestibulesJie Song
Department of Medicinal amd Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kiel, Gutenbergstrasse 76, 24118, Kiel, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1818:1218-24. 2012..e. sucrose, sorbitol, PEG300, and glycerol...
- Sorbitol and myo-inositol levels and morphology of sural nerve in relation to peripheral nerve function and clinical neuropathy in men with diabetic, impaired, and normal glucose toleranceG Sundkvist
Department of Endocrinology, University of Lund, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
Diabet Med 17:259-68. 2000b>Sorbitol and myo-inositol levels and morphology of sural nerve were compared with nerve function and clinical neuropathy in men with diabetic, impaired (IGT), and normal glucose tolerance.
- Physicochemical characterization of solid dispersions of indomethacin with PEG 6000, Myrj 52, lactose, sorbitol, dextrin, and Eudragit E100Hadi Valizadeh
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:303-17. 2004..polyethylene glycol (PEG) 6000, Myrj 52, Eudragit E100, and different carbohydrates such as lactose, mannitol, sorbitol, and dextrin. Indomethacin is a class II substance according to the Biopharmaceutics Classification System...
- Sorbitol dehydrogenase of Aspergillus niger, SdhA, is part of the oxido-reductive D-galactose pathway and essential for D-sorbitol catabolismOuti M Koivistoinen
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Finland
FEBS Lett 586:378-83. 2012..pathway D-galactose is converted to d-fructose in a series of steps where the last step is the oxidation of d-sorbitol by an NAD-dependent dehydrogenase...
- Colonic necrosis in a young patient receiving oral kayexalate in sorbitol: case report and literature reviewYueh Hung Chou
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 27:155-8. 2011..Concomitant administration of kayexalate and sorbitol may induce gastrointestinal injury, which is potentially lethal...
- ZAC1 is up-regulated by hypertonicity and decreases sorbitol dehydrogenase expression, allowing accumulation of sorbitol in kidney cellsMiguel A Lanaspa
Department of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Biol Chem 284:19974-81. 2009..Because ZAC1 has been described to be a potential negative regulator of sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH) in hippocampal cells, we examined whether this relationship also occurs in kidney cells under ..
- A single amino acid change (Y318F) in the L-arabitol dehydrogenase (LadA) from Aspergillus niger results in a significant increase in affinity for D-sorbitolLucy Rutten
Department of Crystal and Structural Chemistry, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
BMC Microbiol 9:166. 2009..only differ in the activity on their biological substrate, but also that only XDH has significant activity on D-sorbitol and may therefore be more closely related to D-sorbitol dehydrogenases (SDH)...
- Effect of sorbitol and residual moisture on the stability of lyophilized antibodies: Implications for the mechanism of protein stabilization in the solid stateLiuquan Lucy Chang
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CN 06269, USA
J Pharm Sci 94:1445-55. 2005..To investigate the effect of plasticizers on the stability of protein formulations in the solid state and to apply these results to a study of mechanisms of protein stabilization by sugars in the solid sate...
- Molecular and phenotypic profiling of sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157:H- human isolates from FinlandM Eklund
Enteric Bacteria Laboratory, Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:634-41. 2006..enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC)-hlyA, katP, espP, etpD, sfpA and the flagellar fliC gene, in nine sorbitol-fermenting (SF), beta-glucuronidase-positive E...
- A cerebroprotective dose of intravenous citrate/sorbitol-stabilized dehydroascorbic acid is correlated with increased cerebral ascorbic acid and inhibited lipid peroxidation after murine reperfused strokeWilliam J Mack
Department of Neurological Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neurosurgery 59:383-8; discussion 383-8. 2006..We previously demonstrated that exogenously supplied dehydroascorbic acid (DHA), an oxidized, blood-brain barrier transportable form of the antioxidant ascorbic acid (AA), improves outcome after experimental stroke...
- Presence and characterization of a mosaic genomic island which distinguishes sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- from E. coli O157:H7Andreas Janka
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Robert Koch Strasse 41, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4875-8. 2005..flanked by segments of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strain EDL933 O islands 43, 81, and 82 was identified in sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H(-) strain 493/89...
- Biosensor for the determination of sorbitol based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymersLiang Feng
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Biosens Bioelectron 19:1513-9. 2004..biosensor based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymers is reported as the first case of imprinting sorbitol. A relevant molecularly imprinted film is prepared by o-phenylenediamine (o-PD) using the electrochemical method...
- Novel differential and confirmation plating media for Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli serotypes O26, O103, O111, O145 and sorbitol-positive and -negative O157Björn Possé
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ghent, Merelbeke, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Lett 282:124-31. 2008..A second differential medium was designed for both sorbitol-positive and -negative O157 STEC strains...
- Early neural and vascular dysfunctions in diabetic rats are largely sequelae of increased sorbitol oxidationYasuo Ido
Boston Medical Center, EBRC 820, Diabetes and Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 12:39-51. 2010These experiments were undertaken to assess the importance of cytoplasmic (c) sorbitol oxidation versus mitochondrial (m) pyruvate oxidation in mediating neural and vascular dysfunction attributable to hyperglycemia in diabetic rats...
- Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet improves mood and gastrointestinal disturbances in fructose malabsorbersM Ledochowski
Dept of Clinical Nutrition, Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Scand J Gastroenterol 35:1048-52. 2000..It was therefore of interest whether a fructose-reduced diet could not only improve gastrointestinal complaints but also depressive signs seen in fructose malabsorbers...
- Sorbitol accumulation and transmembrane efflux in osmotically stressed JS1 schwannoma cellsA P Mizisin
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0612, USA
Neurosci Lett 229:53-6. 1997b>Sorbitol accumulation and transmembrane efflux in JS1 schwannoma cells were examined during osmotic stress in the presence of a sorbitol dehydrogenase (SD) inhibitor and following return to iso-osmotic conditions...
- Sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 in AustriaDorothea Orth
Austrian Reference Center for Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli, Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 121:108-12. 2009..Shiga toxins are considered to be the most important virulence factor of EHEC strains. Non-sorbitol-fermenting EHEC O157:H7 is still the most prevalent serotype isolated worldwide; however, sorbitol-fermenting (SF)..
- Occurrence of non-sorbitol fermenting, verocytotoxin-lacking Escherichia coli O157 on cattle farmsKatrijn Cobbaut
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Microbiol 138:174-8. 2009..8% (8/68) of the positive farms. From these eight farms, a total of 43 sorbitol-negative E. coli O157:H7 were collected...
- Sorbitol can fuel mouse sperm motility and protein tyrosine phosphorylation via sorbitol dehydrogenaseWenlei Cao
Center for Research on Reproduction and Women s Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6160, USA
Biol Reprod 80:124-33. 2009..Two major monosaccharides, sorbitol and fructose, are present in semen...
- Intragastric infusion of glucose enhances the rewarding effect of sorbitol fatty acid ester ingestion as measured by conditioned place preference in miceShigenobu Matsumura
Laboratory of Nutrition Chemistry, Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Oiwakecho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto City, 606 8502, Japan
Physiol Behav 99:509-14. 2010..Although mice showed high affinity for a low-energy fat substitute--sorbitol fatty acid esters and low-concentration linoleic acid solution--they did not exhibit a place preference toward a ..
- Another feature of TURP syndrome: hyperglycaemia and lactic acidosis caused by massive absorption of sorbitolC A Trépanier
Department of Anesthesia, Centre Hospitalier Affilie Universitaire De Quebec, hôpital Enfant Jésus, Laval University, 1401, 18 Rue, Quebec, PQ, G1J 1Z4 Canada
Br J Anaesth 87:316-9. 2001..and lactic acidosis complicated the TURP syndrome caused by the massive absorption (approximately 15 litres) of a sorbitol- mannitol irrigation solution...
- Ancestral divergence, genome diversification, and phylogeographic variation in subpopulations of sorbitol-negative, beta-glucuronidase-negative enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157J Kim
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0919, USA
J Bacteriol 183:6885-97. 2001..including markers for acquisition of virulence genes and loss of physiological characteristics, such as sorbitol fermentation ability and beta-glucuronidase production...
- Molecular evidence of sorbitol dehydrogenase in tomato, a non-Rosaceae plantKazuhiro Ohta
Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Phytochemistry 66:2822-8. 2005The enzyme NAD-dependent sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH) is well characterized in the Rosaceae family of fruit trees, which synthesizes sorbitol as a translocatable photosynthate...
- Xylitol and D-arabitol toxicities due to derepressed fructose, galactitol, and sorbitol phosphotransferases of Escherichia coliA M Reiner
J Bacteriol 132:166-73. 1977..d-Arabitol sensitivity also occurs in sorbitol-constitutive strains and is shown, like the previous two instances of pentitol toxicities, to result from a ..
- Increased sorbitol pathway activity generates oxidative stress in tissue sites for diabetic complicationsIrina G Obrosova
Divison of Nutrition and Chronic Disease, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:1543-52. 2005..Growing evidence indicates that both increased activity of the sorbitol pathway of glucose metabolism and enhanced oxidative stress are the leading factors in the pathogenesis of ..
- Fed-batch methanol feeding strategy for recombinant protein production by Pichia pastoris in the presence of co-substrate sorbitolEda Celik
Department of Chemical Engineering, Industrial Biotechnology and Metabolic Engineering Laboratory, Middle East Technical University, 06531 Ankara, Turkey
Yeast 26:473-84. 2009Batch-wise sorbitol addition as a co-substrate at the induction phase of methanol fed-batch fermentation by Pichia pastoris (Mut(+)) was proposed as a beneficial recombinant protein production strategy and the metabolic responses to ..
- Plasmid and drug resistance profile of sorbitol nonfermenting cefixime-tellurite resistant Escherichia coli isolates from the Gomti RiverS Ram
Environmental Microbiology Division Gheru Campus, Industrial Toxicology Research Center, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow 226001, 80, India
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 75:623-8. 2005
- Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, tolerability, and safety of a novel sorbitol dehydrogenase inhibitor in healthy participantsZohar Landau
Pfizer Global Research and Development, 50 Pequot Avenue, New London, CT 06320, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 50:521-30. 2010..of flux through this pathway can be blocked through inhibition of either of 2 enzymes, aldose reductase (AR) or sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- Effect of nonabsorbed amounts of a fructose-sorbitol mixture on small intestinal transit in healthy volunteersJan L Madsen
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Hvidovre Hospital, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark jan lysgaard madsen hh hosp dk
Dig Dis Sci 51:147-53. 2006Although malabsorption of small amounts of fructose-sorbitol mixtures occurs frequently in healthy humans, insights into their effects on gastrointestinal motility are poor...
- Elevated sorbitol concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with mood disordersW T Regenold
Baltimore VA University of Maryland Mood Disorders Program, University of Maryland Department of Psychiatry, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 25:593-606. 2000..Furthermore, increased polyol pathway flux results in elevated sorbitol concentrations in peripheral tissues and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of diabetics with neuropathy...
- Suppression of sorbitol dependence in a strain bearing a mutation in the SRB1/PSA1/VIG9 gene encoding GDP-mannose pyrophosphorylase by PDE2 overexpression suggests a role for the Ras/cAMP signal-transduction pathway in the control of yeast cell-wall biogeG C Tomlin
School of Biological Sciences, 2 205 Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Microbiology 146:2133-46. 2000..Genetic evidence is presented showing that at least one further mutation is required for the sorbitol dependence of srb1(D276)...
- Synergism between phospholipase D2 and sorbitol accumulation in diabetic cataract formation through modulation of Na,K-ATPase activity and osmotic stressPing Huang
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Exp Eye Res 83:939-48. 2006..Together, these data suggest that increased PLD2 activity in the lens under hyperglycemic condition might impair its osmoregulatory mechanism and reduce its ability to cope with the osmotic stress triggered by sorbitol accumulation.
- D-xylose metabolism in Hypocrea jecorina: loss of the xylitol dehydrogenase step can be partially compensated for by lad1-encoded L-arabinitol-4-dehydrogenaseBernhard Seiboth
Abteilung für Angewandte Biochemie und Gentechnologie, Institut fur Verfahrenstechnik, Umwelttechnik, und Technische Biowissenschaften, A 1060 Wien, Austria
Eukaryot Cell 2:867-75. 2003..The enzyme catalyzed the NAD-dependent oxidation of xylitol and D-sorbitol and the NADH-dependent reduction of D-xylulose and D-fructose...
- Differential expression of sucrose transporter and polyol transporter genes during maturation of common plantain companion cellsMartina Ramsperger-Gleixner
Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Staudtstrasse 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Plant Physiol 134:147-60. 2004The cDNAs of two sorbitol transporters, common plantain (Plantago major) polyol transporter (PLT) 1 and 2 (PmPLT1 and PmPLT2), were isolated from a vascular bundle-specific cDNA library from common plantain, a dicot plant transporting Suc ..
- Phenotypic and molecular analysis of tellurite resistance among enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 and sorbitol-fermenting O157:NM clinical isolatesMartina Bielaszewska
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 43:452-4. 2005..5%) of 86 sorbitol-fermenting (SF) EHEC O157:NM strains had Te MICs of </=4 microg/ml, did not grow on Te-containing media, and ..
- Phylogeny, clinical associations, and diagnostic utility of the pilin subunit gene (sfpA) of sorbitol-fermenting, enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H-Alexander W Friedrich
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Munster, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 42:4697-701. 2004The plasmid-borne sfpA gene encodes the pilin subunit in sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H-. We investigated the distribution of sfpA among 600 E. coli isolates comprising the complete E...
- Enhancement of cell viability and alkaline polygalacturonate lyase production by sorbitol co-feeding with methanol in Pichia pastoris fermentationZhihao Wang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Biotechnology, Ministry of Education, School of Biotechnology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122 Jiangsu, China
Bioresour Technol 101:1318-23. 2010..In order to enhance cell viability and volumetric recombinant protein productivity, sorbitol, which had been confirmed to be a non-repressive carbon source, was added together with methanol during the ..
- Sorbitol causes preferential selection of Muller glial precursors from late retinal progenitor cells in vitroTasneem Zahir
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Mol Vis 12:1606-14. 2006The replacement of glucose by sorbitol in growth medium causes selection of astroglial cells from heterogeneous primary cultures derived from the brains of newborn mice...
- Identification of sorbitol transporters expressed in the phloem of apple source leavesJunya Watari
Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya, 464 8601 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 45:1032-41. 2004b>Sorbitol is a major photosynthetic product and a major phloem-translocated component in Rosaceae (e.g. apple, pear, peach, and cherry)...
- Fructose-sorbitol malabsorptionFernando Fernández-Bañares
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitari Mutua Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 11:368-74. 2009Important dietary carbohydrates such as fructose and sorbitol are incompletely absorbed in the normal small intestine...
- The role of sorbitol pathway and treatment effect of aldose reductase inhibitor ONO2235 in the up-regulation of cardiac M2-muscarinic receptors in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsTsang Pai Liu
Department of General Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, and Mackay Nursing College, Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC
Neurosci Lett 383:131-5. 2005This study investigated the role of the sorbitol pathway on the genetic up-regulation of the cardiac M(2) muscarinic receptor (M(2)-mAChR) in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats...
- Combination of Dsb coexpression and an addition of sorbitol markedly enhanced soluble expression of single-chain Fv in Escherichia coliDuanpen Sandee
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Biotechnol Bioeng 91:418-24. 2005..The optimal condition for soluble scFv expression could be obtained by adding 0.5M sorbitol to the culture medium...
- Anaerobic conditions promote expression of Sfp fimbriae and adherence of sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NM to human intestinal epithelial cellsAnne Müsken
Institute of Hygiene, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:1087-93. 2008The sfp gene cluster, unique to sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM strains, encodes fimbriae that mediate mannose-resistant hemagglutination in laboratory E...
- Sorbitol uptake is regulated by glucose through the hexokinase pathway in vegetative peach-tree budsKarine Maurel
UMR 547 PIAF Université Blaise Pascal, 24 avenue des Landais, F 63177 Aubière Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 55:879-88. 2004In peach trees (Prunus persica L. Batsch cv. Redhaven), sorbitol is a primary photosynthetic product and may play an important role in the budbreak process...
- The sorbitol phosphotransferase system is responsible for transport of 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol into Salmonella enterica serovar typhimuriumCharles A Testa
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Bacteriol 186:473-80. 2004..Random mutagenesis of RMC26 produced defects in the sorbitol phosphotransferase system that prevented the transport of 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol into the cell...
- Proteome analysis of sorbitol fermentation specific protein in Vibrio cholerae by 2-DE and MSQinghua Zou
National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, PR China
Proteomics 6:1848-55. 2006Vibrio cholerae can be differentiated into epidemic and non-epidemic strains by sorbitol fermentation speed, but little research has been done on its mechanisms...
- High-level production of the low-calorie sugar sorbitol by Lactobacillus plantarum through metabolic engineeringVictor Ladero
Unité de Génétique, Institut des Sciences de la Vie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 5 Place Croix du Sud, B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:1864-72. 2007b>Sorbitol is a low-calorie sugar alcohol that is largely used as an ingredient in the food industry, based on its sweetness and its high solubility...
- OSM1/SYP61: a syntaxin protein in Arabidopsis controls abscisic acid-mediated and non-abscisic acid-mediated responses to abiotic stressJianhua Zhu
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1165, USA
Plant Cell 14:3009-28. 2002..Together, our results demonstrate important roles of OSM1/SYP61 in osmotic stress tolerance and in the ABA regulation of stomatal responses...
- Down-regulation of sorbitol dehydrogenase and up-regulation of sucrose synthase in shoot tips of the transgenic apple trees with decreased sorbitol synthesisRui Zhou
Department of Horticulture, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Exp Bot 57:3647-57. 2006Both sorbitol and sucrose are translocated to, and utilized in, sink tissues of apple (Malus domestica)...
- The sugar-insensitive1 (sis1) mutant of Arabidopsis is allelic to ctr1S I Gibson
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, MS140, Rice University, 6100 Main Street, Houston, Texas 77005 1892, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 280:196-203. 2001..Characterization of the sis1 mutant revealed that it is allelic to ctr1, a previously identified mutant with a constitutive response to ethylene...
- Comparison of transcriptional responses to osmotic stresses induced by NaCl and sorbitol additions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using DNA microarrayTakashi Hirasawa
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2 1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 102:568-71. 2006..laboratory and brewing strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to osmotic stresses induced by adding either NaCl or sorbitol to their cultures were compared by clustering DNA microarray data...
- Erythrocyte sorbitol level as a predictor of the efficacy of epalrestat treatment for diabetic peripheral polyneuropathyHitoshi Ando
Department of Diabetes and Digestive Disease, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 8641, Japan
J Diabetes Complications 20:367-70. 2006..To address this issue, we investigated the effect of epalrestat (150 mg/day), an ARI, on erythrocyte sorbitol levels as an index of polyol activation and on nerve function test results in 43 patients with diabetic ..
- Stress kinase p38 mediates EGFR transactivation by hyperosmolar concentrations of sorbitolHao Cheng
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Physiol 192:234-43. 2002..Here, we show that hyperosmolar concentrations of sorbitol activate the EGFR in human keratinocytes...
- Identification and distribution of the enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli factor for adherence (efa1) gene in sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157: H-Andreas Janka
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 292:207-14. 2002b>Sorbitol-fermenting (SF) Shiga toxin (Stx)-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) O157:H- strains are emerging as causes of hemorrhagic colitis and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome in Europe...
- Determination of mannitol and sorbitol in infusion solutions by capillary zone electrophoresis using on-column complexation with borate and indirect spectrophotometric detectionMarie Pospísilová
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University in Prague, Heyrovskeho 1203, CZ 500 05 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
J Chromatogr A 1143:258-63. 2007..with indirect UV detection at 215 nm was applied for the separation and determination of mannitol (MA), sorbitol (SO) and xylitol in the form of anionic borate-polyol complexes...
- Efficacy of a slow-release device containing fluoride, xylitol and sorbitol in preventing infant cariesA S Aaltonen
Health Center of Nummi Pusula, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 58:285-92. 2000..0.25 mg F0- , xylitol 159 mg and sorbitol 153 mg) in the evenings in FAP...
- Evidence for a role for the Dictyostelium Rap1 in cell viability and the response to osmotic stressRujun Kang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, 300 6174 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Cell Sci 115:3675-82. 2002..The accumulation of cGMP in response to 0.4 M sorbitol was reduced after rapA antisense RNA induction and was enhanced in cells expressing the constitutively activated ..
- RENAL CELL SOLUTE REGULATIONSteven Gullans; Fiscal Year: 1993..In renal epithelial cells four major osmolytes exist, glycerophosphorylocholine (GPC), betaine, myo-inositol, and sorbitol. Our studies of whole animals and MDCK cells indicated that each osmolyte can be regulated independently but the ..
- OSMOLYTE PROTECTION OF PROTEINS AGAINST INACTIVATIONDAVID BOLEN; Fiscal Year: 2001..A major focus will be on osmolytes of mammalian kidney, including the compatible osmolytes sorbitol and inositol, and the counteracting osmolytes glycerolphosphoryl choline (GCP) and betaine...
- METABOLIC STUDIES IN NORMAL AND CATARACTOUS LENSESSATISH SRIVASTAVA; Fiscal Year: 1993..during hyperglycemia and the activated enzyme is glycosylated, leading to an increased reduction of glucose to sorbitol. Further studies will be performed to establish the mechanism and the site of activation of aldose reductase and ..
- The functions of the US3 protein kinase of herpes simplex virusBernard Roizman; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. sorbitol) was followed by the findings that (a) HSV encodes two isomers of US3 designated US3 and US3...
- The Plasmodium 2TM and PHIST protein familiesThomas J Templeton; Fiscal Year: 2010..These parasite lines will be used phenotypic assays, such as sorbitol lysis and whole-cell patch clamp...
- Identification of anti-cariogenic/low-glycemic activity factors from Lo Han KuoCHIFU HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. phenylketonurics and diabetics). Moreover, altered sugar alcohol substitute sweeteners, i.e. sorbitol, xylitol, that have been marketed as noncariogenic sweeteners, and more recently as sweeteners for low ..
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in diabetic nephropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..mice and the wild-type mice with normal PARP content; and 3) to identify contribution of two enzymes of the sorbitol pathway, aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase, and individual reactive oxygen species to high glucose-..
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..Phase II consists of a six-month pilot RCT of xylitol solution versus control (sorbitol) solution administered once daily or three times a day to children six to 24 months old for six months...
- ACE inhibitor and prevention of diabetic retinopathyJinzhong Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Sorbitol, which can be produced within cells when intracellular glucose is elevated, likewise is increased in the retina ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF DIABETIC CATARACT FORMATIONPATRICK CAMMARATA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The accumulation of organic osmolytes (sorbitol, myo-inositol, taurine) normally protects the lens against osmotic imbalance by maintaining intracellular osmotic ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF SUGAR CATARACT IN LENS CELLSPATRICK CAMMARATA; Fiscal Year: 1999..The conversion of tissue glucose to sorbitol by the enzyme aldose reductase (AR), has been implicated as a potential mechanism leading to sugar cataract in ..
- POLYOL PATHWAY AND ISCHEMIC INJURY IN DIABETIC HEARTSRavichandran Ramasamy; Fiscal Year: 2005..In polyol pathway, glucose is reduced to sorbitol by aldose reductase (AR) and subsequently oxidized to fructose by sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- Carbon Antioxidants to Prevent Diabetic ComplicationsMICHAEL DIENER; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., eliminates the increases in advanced glycation end-products, protein kinase C activity, sorbitol concentration, and hexosamine pathway flux...
- PATHOGENESIS OF DIABETIC NEPHROPATHYYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2006..is regulated by a rate limiting enzyme, aldose reductase (AKR1B), that is involved in the reduction of glucose to sorbitol and detoxification of reactive carbonyls and lipid dialdehydes, utilizing NADPH as the cofactor...
- OXIDATIVE STRESS AND CATARACT FORMATIONSHAMBHU VARMA; Fiscal Year: 2005..GSH-peroxidase knockout mice will be used for specific aim #3. The levels of sorbitol, fructose, glycated proteins, AGE, ATP, GSH, malonaldehyde (MDA) and the chaperone activity of alpha-crystallin ..
- PHOSPHOLIPID METABOLISM IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYJoseph Eichberg; Fiscal Year: 1993..of biochemical and functional alterations, including reduced peripheral nerve conduction velocity, elevated sorbitol levels, decreased myo- inositol content and diminished Na+,K+-ATPase activity...