Genomes and Genes
Summary: A polyhydric alcohol with about half the sweetness of sucrose. Sorbitol occurs naturally and is also produced synthetically from glucose. It was formerly used as a diuretic and may still be used as a laxative and in irrigating solutions for some surgical procedures. It is also used in many manufacturing processes, as a pharmaceutical aid, and in several research applications.
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Polyol pathway in human epididymis and semenGilles Frenette
Centre de Recherche en Biologie de la Reproduction and Département d Obstétrique Gynécologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Laval, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
J Androl 27:233-9. 2006Two enzymes are involved in the polyol pathway: an aldose reductase that reduces glucose in sorbitol followed by its oxidation in fructose by sorbitol dehydrogenase...
- TDP-43 is directed to stress granules by sorbitol, a novel physiological osmotic and oxidative stressorColleen M Dewey
Department of Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9111, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:1098-108. 2011..In this study, we establish sorbitol as a novel physiological stressor that directs TDP-43 to stress granules in Hek293T cells and primary cultured ..
- Recycling of Shiga toxin 2 genes in sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NMAlexander Mellmann
Institute of Hygiene, University of Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:67-72. 2008..eae probes and agglutination in anti-O157 lipopolysaccharide serum, we isolated stx(2)-positive and eae-positive sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM (nonmotile) strains from initial stool ..
- Abnormal breath tests to lactose, fructose and sorbitol in irritable bowel syndrome may be explained by small intestinal bacterial overgrowthG Nucera
Internal Medicine Department, Gemelli Hospital, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1391-5. 2005BACKGROUND: Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and sugar malabsorption (lactose, fructose, sorbitol) may play a role in irritable bowel syndrome...
- Aldose reductase induced by hyperosmotic stress mediates cardiomyocyte apoptosis: differential effects of sorbitol and mannitolAnita S Galvez
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad de Chile, Santiago 6640750, Chile
J Biol Chem 278:38484-94. 2003Cells adapt to hyperosmotic conditions by several mechanisms, including accumulation of sorbitol via induction of the polyol pathway. Failure to adapt to osmotic stress can result in apoptotic cell death...
- Early neural and vascular dysfunctions in diabetic rats are largely sequelae of increased sorbitol oxidationYasuo Ido
Boston Medical Center, EBRC 820, Diabetes and Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 12:39-51. 2010These experiments were undertaken to assess the importance of cytoplasmic (c) sorbitol oxidation versus mitochondrial (m) pyruvate oxidation in mediating neural and vascular dysfunction attributable to hyperglycemia in diabetic rats...
- Presence and characterization of a mosaic genomic island which distinguishes sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- from E. coli O157:H7Andreas Janka
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Robert Koch Strasse 41, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4875-8. 2005..flanked by segments of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strain EDL933 O islands 43, 81, and 82 was identified in sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H(-) strain 493/89...
- Occurrence of non-sorbitol fermenting, verocytotoxin-lacking Escherichia coli O157 on cattle farmsKatrijn Cobbaut
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Microbiol 138:174-8. 2009..8% (8/68) of the positive farms. From these eight farms, a total of 43 sorbitol-negative E. coli O157:H7 were collected...
- Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet improves mood and gastrointestinal disturbances in fructose malabsorbersM Ledochowski
Dept of Clinical Nutrition, Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Scand J Gastroenterol 35:1048-52. 2000..It was therefore of interest whether a fructose-reduced diet could not only improve gastrointestinal complaints but also depressive signs seen in fructose malabsorbers...
- Sorbitol accumulation and transmembrane efflux in osmotically stressed JS1 schwannoma cellsA P Mizisin
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0612, USA
Neurosci Lett 229:53-6. 1997b>Sorbitol accumulation and transmembrane efflux in JS1 schwannoma cells were examined during osmotic stress in the presence of a sorbitol dehydrogenase (SD) inhibitor and following return to iso-osmotic conditions...
- Sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 in AustriaDorothea Orth
Austrian Reference Center for Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli, Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 121:108-12. 2009..Shiga toxins are considered to be the most important virulence factor of EHEC strains. Non-sorbitol-fermenting EHEC O157:H7 is still the most prevalent serotype isolated worldwide; however, sorbitol-fermenting (SF)..
- Sorbitol can fuel mouse sperm motility and protein tyrosine phosphorylation via sorbitol dehydrogenaseWenlei Cao
Center for Research on Reproduction and Women s Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6160, USA
Biol Reprod 80:124-33. 2009..Two major monosaccharides, sorbitol and fructose, are present in semen...
- Intragastric infusion of glucose enhances the rewarding effect of sorbitol fatty acid ester ingestion as measured by conditioned place preference in miceShigenobu Matsumura
Laboratory of Nutrition Chemistry, Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Oiwakecho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto City, 606 8502, Japan
Physiol Behav 99:509-14. 2010..Although mice showed high affinity for a low-energy fat substitute--sorbitol fatty acid esters and low-concentration linoleic acid solution--they did not exhibit a place preference toward a ..
- Molecular and phenotypic profiling of sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157:H- human isolates from FinlandM Eklund
Enteric Bacteria Laboratory, Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:634-41. 2006..enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC)-hlyA, katP, espP, etpD, sfpA and the flagellar fliC gene, in nine sorbitol-fermenting (SF), beta-glucuronidase-positive E...
- Erythrocyte aldose reductase activity and sorbitol levels in diabetic retinopathyG Bhanuprakash Reddy
National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad, India
Mol Vis 14:593-601. 2008..We investigated the relationship between ALR2 levels and human DR by measuring ALR2 activity and its product, sorbitol, in erythrocytes.
- Novel differential and confirmation plating media for Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli serotypes O26, O103, O111, O145 and sorbitol-positive and -negative O157Björn Possé
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ghent, Merelbeke, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Lett 282:124-31. 2008..A second differential medium was designed for both sorbitol-positive and -negative O157 STEC strains...
- Biosensor for the determination of sorbitol based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymersLiang Feng
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Biosens Bioelectron 19:1513-9. 2004..biosensor based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymers is reported as the first case of imprinting sorbitol. A relevant molecularly imprinted film is prepared by o-phenylenediamine (o-PD) using the electrochemical method...
- A cerebroprotective dose of intravenous citrate/sorbitol-stabilized dehydroascorbic acid is correlated with increased cerebral ascorbic acid and inhibited lipid peroxidation after murine reperfused strokeWilliam J Mack
Department of Neurological Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neurosurgery 59:383-8; discussion 383-8. 2006..We previously demonstrated that exogenously supplied dehydroascorbic acid (DHA), an oxidized, blood-brain barrier transportable form of the antioxidant ascorbic acid (AA), improves outcome after experimental stroke...
- Role of sorbitol in the up-regulation of urinary bladder M(2) muscarinic receptors in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsYat-Ching Tong
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Neurourol Urodyn 21:154-9. 2002This study investigated the role of sorbitol, a metabolic product of glucose, in the pathogenesis of rat diabetic cystopathy...
- Erythrocyte sorbitol level as a predictor of the efficacy of epalrestat treatment for diabetic peripheral polyneuropathyHitoshi Ando
Department of Diabetes and Digestive Disease, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-8641, Japan
J Diabetes Complications 20:367-70. 2006..To address this issue, we investigated the effect of epalrestat (150 mg/day), an ARI, on erythrocyte sorbitol levels as an index of polyol activation and on nerve function test results in 43 patients with diabetic ..
- Determination of mannitol and sorbitol in infusion solutions by capillary zone electrophoresis using on-column complexation with borate and indirect spectrophotometric detectionMarie Pospísilová
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University in Prague, Heyrovskeho 1203, CZ 500 05 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
J Chromatogr A 1143:258-63. 2007..with indirect UV detection at 215 nm was applied for the separation and determination of mannitol (MA), sorbitol (SO) and xylitol in the form of anionic borate-polyol complexes...
- Phylogeny, clinical associations, and diagnostic utility of the pilin subunit gene (sfpA) of sorbitol-fermenting, enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H-Alexander W Friedrich
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Munster, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 42:4697-701. 2004The plasmid-borne sfpA gene encodes the pilin subunit in sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H-. We investigated the distribution of sfpA among 600 E. coli isolates comprising the complete E...
- Comparison of transcriptional responses to osmotic stresses induced by NaCl and sorbitol additions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using DNA microarrayTakashi Hirasawa
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 102:568-71. 2006..laboratory and brewing strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to osmotic stresses induced by adding either NaCl or sorbitol to their cultures were compared by clustering DNA microarray data...
- High-level production of the low-calorie sugar sorbitol by Lactobacillus plantarum through metabolic engineeringVictor Ladero
Unité de Génétique, Institut des Sciences de la Vie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 5 Place Croix du Sud, B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:1864-72. 2007b>Sorbitol is a low-calorie sugar alcohol that is largely used as an ingredient in the food industry, based on its sweetness and its high solubility...
- ERK/MAPK regulates ecdysteroid and sorbitol metabolism for embryonic diapause termination in the silkworm, Bombyx moriYoshihiro Fujiwara
Department of Applied Biology, Faculty of Textile Science and Technology, Shinshu University, Ueda, Nagano 386 8567, Japan
J Insect Physiol 52:569-75. 2006..Diapause termination requires a decrease in the sorbitol concentration, which arrests embryonic development, and the secretion factors from yolk cells that promote ..
- Novel type of fimbriae encoded by the large plasmid of sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H(-)W Brunder
Institut fur Hygiene und Mikrobiologie der Universitat Wurzburg, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Infect Immun 69:4447-57. 2001b>Sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H(-) have emerged as important causes of diarrheal diseases and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome in Germany...
- Upper gastrointestinal tract injury in patients receiving kayexalate (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) in sorbitol: clinical, endoscopic, and histopathologic findingsS C Abraham
Division of Gastrointestinal Liver Pathology, Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2196, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:637-44. 2001Kayexalate (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) in sorbitol has been demonstrated to cause colonic necrosis in a subset of uremic patients who are administered the cation exchange resin for treatment of hyperkalemia...
- Sorbitol co-feeding reduces metabolic burden caused by the overexpression of a Rhizopus oryzae lipase in Pichia pastorisRamon Ramon
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, ETSE, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 130:39-46. 2007..pastoris, the effect of sorbitol/methanol mixed substrates was tested in batch and fed-batch cultures...
- Sorbitol causes preferential selection of Muller glial precursors from late retinal progenitor cells in vitroTasneem Zahir
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Mol Vis 12:1606-14. 2006The replacement of glucose by sorbitol in growth medium causes selection of astroglial cells from heterogeneous primary cultures derived from the brains of newborn mice...
- Identification of sorbitol transporters expressed in the phloem of apple source leavesJunya Watari
Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya, 464-8601 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 45:1032-41. 2004b>Sorbitol is a major photosynthetic product and a major phloem-translocated component in Rosaceae (e.g. apple, pear, peach, and cherry)...
- Complete sequence of the large virulence plasmid pSFO157 of the sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- strain 3072/96Werner Brunder
, Josef-Schneider-Strasse 2, , Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 296:467-74. 2006The large virulence plasmid pSFO157 of sorbitol-fermenting E. coli O157:H(-) strain 3072/96 has a size of 121,239bp and contains 96 open reading frames >50bp. It is therefore 29,162bp larger (ca. 32%) than plasmid pO157 of E...
- Polymorphisms of sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH) gene and susceptibility to diabetic retinopathyS Amano
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
Med Hypotheses 60:550-1. 2003The polyol pathway consists of two enzymes aldose reductase (AR) and sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH); the former is the first enzyme in the polyol pathway, that catalyzes the reduction of glucose to sorbitol, the latter is the second one, ..
- Differential expression of sucrose transporter and polyol transporter genes during maturation of common plantain companion cellsMartina Ramsperger-Gleixner
Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, , Staudtstrasse 5, D-91058 Erlangen, Germany
Plant Physiol 134:147-60. 2004The cDNAs of two sorbitol transporters, common plantain (Plantago major) polyol transporter (PLT) 1 and 2 (PmPLT1 and PmPLT2), were isolated from a vascular bundle-specific cDNA library from common plantain, a dicot plant transporting Suc ..
- Down-regulation of sorbitol dehydrogenase and up-regulation of sucrose synthase in shoot tips of the transgenic apple trees with decreased sorbitol synthesisRui Zhou
Department of Horticulture, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Exp Bot 57:3647-57. 2006Both sorbitol and sucrose are translocated to, and utilized in, sink tissues of apple (Malus domestica)...
- The sorbitol phosphotransferase system is responsible for transport of 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol into Salmonella enterica serovar typhimuriumCharles A Testa
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Bacteriol 186:473-80. 2004..Random mutagenesis of RMC26 produced defects in the sorbitol phosphotransferase system that prevented the transport of 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol into the cell...
- OSM1/SYP61: a syntaxin protein in Arabidopsis controls abscisic acid-mediated and non-abscisic acid-mediated responses to abiotic stressJianhua Zhu
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1165, USA
Plant Cell 14:3009-28. 2002..Together, our results demonstrate important roles of OSM1/SYP61 in osmotic stress tolerance and in the ABA regulation of stomatal responses...
- Sorbitol uptake is regulated by glucose through the hexokinase pathway in vegetative peach-tree budsKarine Maurel
, 24 avenue des Landais, , France
J Exp Bot 55:879-88. 2004In peach trees (Prunus persica L. Batsch cv. Redhaven), sorbitol is a primary photosynthetic product and may play an important role in the budbreak process...
- Identification and distribution of the enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli factor for adherence (efa1) gene in sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157: H-Andreas Janka
, , Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 292:207-14. 2002b>Sorbitol-fermenting (SF) Shiga toxin (Stx)-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) O157:H- strains are emerging as causes of hemorrhagic colitis and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome in Europe...
- Synergism between phospholipase D2 and sorbitol accumulation in diabetic cataract formation through modulation of Na,K-ATPase activity and osmotic stressPing Huang
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Exp Eye Res 83:939-48. 2006..Together, these data suggest that increased PLD2 activity in the lens under hyperglycemic condition might impair its osmoregulatory mechanism and reduce its ability to cope with the osmotic stress triggered by sorbitol accumulation.
- D-xylose metabolism in Hypocrea jecorina: loss of the xylitol dehydrogenase step can be partially compensated for by lad1-encoded L-arabinitol-4-dehydrogenaseBernhard Seiboth
Abteilung für Angewandte Biochemie und Gentechnologie, Institut fur Verfahrenstechnik, Umwelttechnik, und Technische Biowissenschaften, A 1060 Wien, Austria
Eukaryot Cell 2:867-75. 2003..The enzyme catalyzed the NAD-dependent oxidation of xylitol and D-sorbitol and the NADH-dependent reduction of D-xylulose and D-fructose...
- Stress kinase p38 mediates EGFR transactivation by hyperosmolar concentrations of sorbitolHao Cheng
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Physiol 192:234-43. 2002..Here, we show that hyperosmolar concentrations of sorbitol activate the EGFR in human keratinocytes...
- Evidence for a role for the Dictyostelium Rap1 in cell viability and the response to osmotic stressRujun Kang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, 300 6174 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Cell Sci 115:3675-82. 2002..The accumulation of cGMP in response to 0.4 M sorbitol was reduced after rapA antisense RNA induction and was enhanced in cells expressing the constitutively activated ..
- Xylitol and D-arabitol toxicities due to derepressed fructose, galactitol, and sorbitol phosphotransferases of Escherichia coliA M Reiner
J Bacteriol 132:166-73. 1977..d-Arabitol sensitivity also occurs in sorbitol-constitutive strains and is shown, like the previous two instances of pentitol toxicities, to result from a ..
- Effect of nonabsorbed amounts of a fructose-sorbitol mixture on small intestinal transit in healthy volunteersJan L Madsen
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Hvidovre Hospital, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark. jan.lysgaard.madsen@ hh.hosp.dk
Dig Dis Sci 51:147-53. 2006Although malabsorption of small amounts of fructose-sorbitol mixtures occurs frequently in healthy humans, insights into their effects on gastrointestinal motility are poor...
- Plasmid and drug resistance profile of sorbitol nonfermenting cefixime-tellurite resistant Escherichia coli isolates from the Gomti RiverS Ram
Environmental Microbiology Division (Gheru Campus, Industrial Toxicology Research Center, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow 226001, 80, India
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 75:623-8. 2005
- Increased sorbitol pathway activity generates oxidative stress in tissue sites for diabetic complicationsIrina G Obrosova
Divison of Nutrition and Chronic Disease, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:1543-52. 2005..Growing evidence indicates that both increased activity of the sorbitol pathway of glucose metabolism and enhanced oxidative stress are the leading factors in the pathogenesis of ..
- Molecular evidence of sorbitol dehydrogenase in tomato, a non-Rosaceae plantKazuhiro Ohta
Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Phytochemistry 66:2822-8. 2005The enzyme NAD-dependent sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH) is well characterized in the Rosaceae family of fruit trees, which synthesizes sorbitol as a translocatable photosynthate...
- Elevated sorbitol concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with mood disordersW T Regenold
Baltimore VA University of Maryland Mood Disorders Program, University of Maryland Department of Psychiatry, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 25:593-606. 2000..Furthermore, increased polyol pathway flux results in elevated sorbitol concentrations in peripheral tissues and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of diabetics with neuropathy...
- Fed-batch methanol feeding strategy for recombinant protein production by Pichia pastoris in the presence of co-substrate sorbitolEda Celik
Department of Chemical Engineering, Industrial Biotechnology and Metabolic Engineering Laboratory, Middle East Technical University, 06531 Ankara, Turkey
Yeast 26:473-84. 2009Batch-wise sorbitol addition as a co-substrate at the induction phase of methanol fed-batch fermentation by Pichia pastoris (Mut(+)) was proposed as a beneficial recombinant protein production strategy and the metabolic responses to ..
- Fructose-sorbitol malabsorptionFernando Fernández-Bañares
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Universitari Mutua Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 11:368-74. 2009Important dietary carbohydrates such as fructose and sorbitol are incompletely absorbed in the normal small intestine...
- Enhancement of cell viability and alkaline polygalacturonate lyase production by sorbitol co-feeding with methanol in Pichia pastoris fermentationZhihao Wang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Biotechnology, Ministry of Education, School of Biotechnology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122 Jiangsu, China
Bioresour Technol 101:1318-23. 2010..In order to enhance cell viability and volumetric recombinant protein productivity, sorbitol, which had been confirmed to be a non-repressive carbon source, was added together with methanol during the ..
- Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, tolerability, and safety of a novel sorbitol dehydrogenase inhibitor in healthy participantsZohar Landau
Pfizer Global Research and Development, 50 Pequot Avenue, New London, CT 06320, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 50:521-30. 2010..of flux through this pathway can be blocked through inhibition of either of 2 enzymes, aldose reductase (AR) or sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- The role of sorbitol pathway and treatment effect of aldose reductase inhibitor ONO2235 in the up-regulation of cardiac M2-muscarinic receptors in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsTsang-Pai Liu
Department of General Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, and Mackay Nursing College, Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC
Neurosci Lett 383:131-5. 2005This study investigated the role of the sorbitol pathway on the genetic up-regulation of the cardiac M(2) muscarinic receptor (M(2)-mAChR) in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats...
- Combination of Dsb coexpression and an addition of sorbitol markedly enhanced soluble expression of single-chain Fv in Escherichia coliDuanpen Sandee
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Biotechnol Bioeng 91:418-24. 2005..The optimal condition for soluble scFv expression could be obtained by adding 0.5M sorbitol to the culture medium...
- Phenotypic and molecular analysis of tellurite resistance among enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 and sorbitol-fermenting O157:NM clinical isolatesMartina Bielaszewska
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 43:452-4. 2005..5%) of 86 sorbitol-fermenting (SF) EHEC O157:NM strains had Te MICs of </=4 microg/ml, did not grow on Te-containing media, and ..
- Suppression of sorbitol dependence in a strain bearing a mutation in the SRB1/PSA1/VIG9 gene encoding GDP-mannose pyrophosphorylase by PDE2 overexpression suggests a role for the Ras/cAMP signal-transduction pathway in the control of yeast cell-wall biogeG C Tomlin
School of Biological Sciences, 2 205 Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Microbiology 146:2133-46. 2000..Genetic evidence is presented showing that at least one further mutation is required for the sorbitol dependence of srb1(D276)...
- The sugar-insensitive1 (sis1) mutant of Arabidopsis is allelic to ctr1S I Gibson
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, MS140, Rice University, 6100 Main Street, Houston, Texas 77005 1892, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 280:196-203. 2001..Characterization of the sis1 mutant revealed that it is allelic to ctr1, a previously identified mutant with a constitutive response to ethylene...
- Dietary supplementation with sorbitol results in selective enrichment of lactobacilli in rat intestineLuz Adriana Sarmiento-Rubiano
Biotechnology Department, Instituto de Agroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos, IATA CSIC, PO Box 73, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
Res Microbiol 158:694-701. 2007A potential prebiotic action has been ascribed to sorbitol, but in vivo evidence of this remains scarce. In the present work, the effect of sorbitol was compared to that of fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) in a rat model...
- Efficacy of a slow-release device containing fluoride, xylitol and sorbitol in preventing infant cariesA S Aaltonen
Health Center of Nummi Pusula, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 58:285-92. 2000..0.25 mg F0- , xylitol 159 mg and sorbitol 153 mg) in the evenings in FAP...
- Anaerobic conditions promote expression of Sfp fimbriae and adherence of sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NM to human intestinal epithelial cellsAnne Müsken
Institute of Hygiene, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:1087-93. 2008The sfp gene cluster, unique to sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM strains, encodes fimbriae that mediate mannose-resistant hemagglutination in laboratory E...
- Proteome analysis of sorbitol fermentation specific protein in Vibrio cholerae by 2-DE and MSQinghua Zou
National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, PR China
Proteomics 6:1848-55. 2006Vibrio cholerae can be differentiated into epidemic and non-epidemic strains by sorbitol fermentation speed, but little research has been done on its mechanisms...
- Effect of xylitol on growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae in the presence of fructose and sorbitolT Tapiainen
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:166-9. 2001..In addition, we evaluated the efficacy of sorbitol in inhibiting the growth of pneumococci, as sorbitol is widely used for indications similar to those for which ..
- A quantitative analysis of the benefits of mixed feeds of sorbitol and methanol for the production of recombinant avidin with Pichia pastorisCarmen Jungo
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Laboratoire de Génie Chimique et Biologique, Station 6, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biotechnol 131:57-66. 2007The advantages of mixed feeds of sorbitol and methanol for the production of recombinant proteins with Pichia pastoris were analyzed quantitatively...
- Role of glucose in the bioconversion of fructose into mannitol by Candida magnoliaeHong Baek
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, 89 Wangsan-ri, Mohyunmyun, Yongin-si, Kyounggi-do 449-791, Korea
Biotechnol Lett 25:761-5. 2003....
- A novel series of non-carboxylic acid, non-hydantoin inhibitors of aldose reductase with potent oral activity in diabetic rat models: 6-(5-chloro-3-methylbenzofuran-2-sulfonyl)-2H-pyridazin-3-one and congenersBanavara L Mylari
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Pfizer Inc, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
J Med Chem 48:6326-39. 2005..selective non-carboxylic acid, non-hydantoin inhibitors of AR yet described (IC50, 1 nM; ED90 vs sciatic nerve sorbitol and fructose, respectively, 0.8 and 4.0 mg/kg)...
- Minalrestat and leukocyte migration in diabetes mellitusJ W C M Cruz
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, , Av. Prof. Lineu Prestes, , , SP-Brazil
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 19:223-31. 2003....
- A highly selective, non-hydantoin, non-carboxylic acid inhibitor of aldose reductase with potent oral activity in diabetic rat models: 6-(5-chloro-3-methylbenzofuran- 2-sulfonyl)-2-H-pyridazin-3-oneBanavara L Mylari
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Pfizer Inc, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
J Med Chem 46:2283-6. 2003..acid aldose reductase inhibitor, 24, which shows remarkably potent oral activity in normalizing elevated sorbitol levels and, more significantly, fructose levels in the sciatic nerve of chronically diabetic rats, with ED(90) ..
- Restoration of ultrastructural and biochemical changes in alloxan-induced diabetic rat sciatic nerve on treatment with Na3VO4 and Trigonella--a promising antidiabetic agentAnju Preet
Hormone and Drug Research Laboratory, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Mol Cell Biochem 278:21-31. 2005..pathway, evident by the reduced hexokinase activity and increased polyol pathway enzymes aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase activity causing accumulation of sorbitol and fructose in diabetic conditions...
- High glucose-induced activation of the polyol pathway and changes of gene expression profiles in immortalized adult mouse Schwann cells IMS32Kazunori Sango
Department of Developmental Morphology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurochem 98:446-58. 2006..Messenger RNA and the protein expression of aldose reductase (AR) and the intracellular sorbitol and fructose contents were up-regulated in IMS32 under high glucose conditions compared with normal glucose ..
- Aldose reductase inhibition counteracts oxidative-nitrosative stress and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation in tissue sites for diabetes complicationsIrina G Obrosova
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, 6400 Perkins Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Diabetes 54:234-42. 2005..kg(-1) . day(-1)) for 6 weeks starting from induction of diabetes. Sorbitol pathway intermediate, but not glucose, accumulation in sciatic nerve and retina was completely prevented in ..
- Long-term effect of Trigonella foenum graecum and its combination with sodium orthovanadate in preventing histopathological and biochemical abnormalities in diabetic rat ocular tissuesAnju Preet
Hormone and Drug Research Laboratory, Applied Molecular Biology Laboratory, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Mol Cell Biochem 289:137-47. 2006..Alterations in the activities of enzymes HK (hexokinase), AR (aldose reductase), SDH (sorbitol dehydrogenase), G-6-PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase), GPx (glutathione peroxidase), GR (glutathione ..
- Polyol pathway along the bovine epididymisGilles Frenette
, , , Canada
Mol Reprod Dev 69:448-56. 2004..In order to evaluate the possible involvement of sorbitol in sperm physiology, Western blot of tissue homogenates were probed with an anti-sorbitol dehydrogenase antibody...
- Application of NAD-dependent polyol dehydrogenases for enzymatic mannitol/sorbitol production with coenzyme regenerationS Parmentier
Department of Biochemical and Microbial Technology, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 68:255-62. 2003D-Mannitol and D-sorbitol were produced enzymatically from D-fructose using NAD-dependent polyol dehydrogenases. For the production of D-mannitol the Leuconostoc mesenteroides mannitol dehydrogenase could be used...
- Enhanced tolerance to salt stress in transgenic loblolly pine simultaneously expressing two genes encoding mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase and glucitol-6-phosphate dehydrogenaseWei Tang
Department of Biology, Howell Science Complex, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Plant Physiol Biochem 43:139-46. 2005..tumefaciens-mediated transformation protocol for stable integration of bacterial Mt1D and GutD genes into loblolly pine has been developed and this could be useful for the future studies on engineering breeding of conifers...
- Differential expression profiles of Streptococcus mutans ftf, gtf and vicR genes in the presence of dietary carbohydrates at early and late exponential growth phasesMoshe Shemesh
Institute of Dental Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Hebrew University-Hadassah, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Carbohydr Res 341:2090-7. 2006..mutans in the presence of various dietary carbohydrates: sucrose, D-glucose, D-fructose, D-glucitol (D-sorbitol), D-mannitol and xylitol...
- Gluconobacter oxydans NAD-dependent, D-fructose reducing, polyol dehydrogenases activity: screening, medium optimisation and application for enzymatic polyol productionSofie Parmentier
Department of Biochemical and Microbial Technology, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium
Biotechnol Lett 27:305-11. 2005..Two D-fructose reducing, NAD-dependent intracellular enzymes were present in the G. oxydans cell-free extract: sorbitol dehydrogenase, and mannitol dehydrogenase...
- Effect of osmotic pressure on the production of retroviral vectors: Enhancement in vector stabilityA S Coroadinha
IBET/ITQB, Apartado 12, P-2781-901 Oeiras, Portugal
Biotechnol Bioeng 94:322-9. 2006..medium was raised from 335 up to 500 mOsm/kg using either ionic (sodium chloride) or non-ionic osmotic agents (sorbitol and fructose)...
- Study of the polyol pathway in the porcine epididymisAnna Pruneda
Biotechnology of Porcine Reproduction, Department of Biology INTEA, Faculty of Sciences, University of Girona, Girona, Spain
Mol Reprod Dev 73:859-65. 2006Concentrations of D-glucose, D-fructose and D-sorbitol were quantified in porcine epididymal fluid by spectrofluorimetric assays and aldose reductase (AR) and sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH) were located immunohistochemically in the ..
- Polyol concentrations in the fluid compartments of the human conceptus during the first trimester of pregnancy: maintenance of redox potential in a low oxygen environmentEric Jauniaux
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, London WC1E 6HX, UK
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1171-5. 2005..The concentrations of fructose, inositol, sorbitol, erythritol, and ribitol were significantly higher in coelomic and amniotic fluids than in maternal serum, but ..
- Aldose reductase-deficient mice are protected from delayed motor nerve conduction velocity, increased c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase activation, depletion of reduced glutathione, increased superoxide accumulation, and DNA damageEric C M Ho
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Diabetes 55:1946-53. 2006..b>Sorbitol levels in the sciatic nerves of diabetic AR(+/+) mice were increased significantly, whereas sorbitol levels in ..
- Alternative sugars as potential carriers for dry powder inhalationsHartwig Steckel
Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Christian Albrecht University Kiel, Gutenbergstrasse 76, Kiel 24118, Germany
Int J Pharm 270:297-306. 2004..In this study, alternative carriers like mannitol, glucose, sorbitol, maltitol and xylitol have therefore been evaluated for their potential use in DPI formulations...
- [Role of polyol pathway in pathogenesis of diabetic microangiopathy]Jiro Nakamura
Division of Metabolic Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 63:52-61. 2005
- Different sugar kinases are involved in the sugar sensing of Galdieria sulphurariaChristine Oesterhelt
Institut fur Biologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Plant Physiol 128:291-9. 2002..In its natural environment, these two different sensing mechanisms would enable the alga to utilize a mixture of different substrates in a most economic way by repressing dispensible transporters...
- Streptozotocin-induced diabetes causes metabolic changes and alterations in neurotrophin content and retrograde transport in the cervical vagus nerveP G Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Exp Neurol 170:149-61. 2001..Elevations in vagus nerve hexose (glucose and fructose) and polyol levels (sorbitol), and their normalization with insulin treatment, verified that the STZ treatment resulted in hyperglycemia-..
- Multiple effects of trehalose on protein folding in vitro and in vivoM A Singer
Department of Pathology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Mol Cell 1:639-48. 1998....
- Sorbitol dehydrogenase overexpression potentiates glucose toxicity to cultured retinal pericytesShinjiro Amano
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, 830-0011, Kurume, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299:183-8. 2002The polyol pathway consists of two enzymes, aldose reductase (AR) and sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- [Risk factors for diabetic complications: Abnormality of polyol metabolism]Nigishi Hotta
Chubu Rosai Hospital
Nippon Rinsho 60:60-6. 2002
- Effects of sorbitol dehydrogenase deficiency on nerve conduction in experimental diabetic miceT F Ng
Institute of Molecular Biology, The University of Hong Kong, China
Diabetes 47:961-6. 1998In this report, we made use of sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)-deficient mutant mice (C57BL/LiA) to test whether there is a close correlation between the level of polyol accumulation and the degree of reduction in motor nerve conduction ..
- Nitric oxide prevents aldose reductase activation and sorbitol accumulation during diabetesDeepak Chandra
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Diabetes 51:3095-101. 2002..Herein we report that several nitric oxide (NO) donors prevent ex vivo synthesis of sorbitol in erythrocytes obtained from diabetic or nondiabetic rats...
- Sorbitol promotes growth of Zymomonas mobilis in environments with high concentrations of sugar: evidence for a physiological function of glucose-fructose oxidoreductase in osmoprotectionH Loos
Institut für Biotechnologie 1, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, Germany
J Bacteriol 176:7688-93. 1994..A novel compatible solute for bacteria, sorbitol, which enhances growth of Z. mobilis at glucose concentrations exceeding 0.83 M (15%), is described...
- Effects of polyhydroxy compounds on the structure and activity of alpha-chymotrypsinL M Simon
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:416-20. 2002The effects of glycerol, polyethylene glycol, fructose, glucose, sorbitol, and saccharose on the conformation and catalytic activity of alpha-chymotrypsin were studied in 0...
- Experimental evidence for the influence of molecular crowding on nuclear architectureKarsten Richter
Division of Molecular Genetics, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Sci 120:1673-80. 2007..Supplementation of sucrose, sorbitol or NaCl to the growth medium shifted nuclear organization, observed by fluorescence and electron microscopy, ..
- Aldose reductase inhibitor fidarestat prevents retinal oxidative stress and vascular endothelial growth factor overexpression in streptozotocin-diabetic ratsIrina G Obrosova
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, MSRB II, Room 5570, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0678, USA
Diabetes 52:864-71. 2003..Both low and high doses of fidarestat (i.e., the doses that partially and completely inhibited sorbitol pathway hyperactivity) arrested diabetes-induced retinal lipid peroxidation...
- Glucose-mediated induction of TGF-beta 1 and MCP-1 in mesothelial cells in vitro is osmolality and polyol pathway dependentTeresa Y H Wong
Institute of Nephrology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 63:1404-16. 2003BACKGROUND: Glucose is converted to sorbitol and then to fructose via the polyol pathway that has been implicated in the pathogenesis of organ damage...
- Carbohydrate availability affects growth and metabolism in peach fruitBrunella Morandi
Dipartimento Colture Arboree, University of Bologna, 40127 Bologna, Italy
Physiol Plant 133:229-41. 2008Along with sucrose, sorbitol represents the main photosynthetic product and form of translocated carbon in peach...
- Polyol pathway and protein kinase C activity of rat Schwannoma cellsHideki Kamiya
The Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 19:131-9. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that PKC, especially PKC-alpha activity, is decreased in Schwann cells exposed to high glucose and that this deficit is mediated through polyol pathway hyperactivity...
- The polyol pathway as a mechanism for diabetic retinopathy: attractive, elusive, and resilientMara Lorenzi
Schepens Eye Research Institute and Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, 20 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Exp Diabetes Res 2007:61038. 2007The polyol pathway is a two-step metabolic pathway in which glucose is reduced to sorbitol, which is then converted to fructose...
- Effects of ellagic acid and 2-(2,3,6-trihydroxy-4-carboxyphenyl)ellagic acid on sorbitol accumulation in vitro and in vivoHidenori Ueda
Department of Natural Medicinal Chemistry, Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Motoyamakitamachi, Higashinada-ku, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 27:1584-7. 2004..the inhibitory activity against AR of EA and TEA in vitro, and EA in vivo by measurement of the accumulation of sorbitol, which is the product of glucose reduction catalyzed by AR...
- Changes in fruit sugar concentrations in response to assimilate supply, metabolism and dilution: a modeling approach applied to peach fruit (Prunus persica)M Genard
Unité Plantes et Systèmes de culture Horticoles, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Domaine Saint Paul, Site Agroparc, 84914 Avignon Cedex 9, France
Tree Physiol 23:373-85. 2003..The model predicts the partitioning of carbon into sucrose, sorbitol, glucose and fructose in the mesocarp of peach fruit...
- Slow desiccation improves dehydration tolerance and accumulation of compatible osmolytes in earthworm cocoons (Dendrobaena octaedra Savigny)Christina R Petersen
National Environmental Research Institute, University of Aarhus, Department of Terrestrial Ecology, Vejlsøvej 25, 8600 Silkeborg, Denmark
J Exp Biol 211:1903-10. 2008..NMR spectroscopic analysis of compatible osmolytes revealed the presence of sorbitol, glucose, betaine, alanine and mannitol in dehydrated embryos...
- Nitric oxide regulates the polyol pathway of glucose metabolism in vascular smooth muscle cellsKota V Ramana
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555-0647, USA
FASEB J 17:417-25. 2003..that administration of the NO synthase (NOS) inhibitor N(G)-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME) increased sorbitol accumulation in the aorta of nondiabetic and diabetic rats, whereas treatment with L-arginine (a precursor of NO) ..
- RENAL CELL SOLUTE REGULATIONSteven Gullans; Fiscal Year: 1993..In renal epithelial cells four major osmolytes exist, glycerophosphorylocholine (GPC), betaine, myo-inositol, and sorbitol. Our studies of whole animals and MDCK cells indicated that each osmolyte can be regulated independently but the ..
- OSMOLYTE PROTECTION OF PROTEINS AGAINST INACTIVATIONDAVID BOLEN; Fiscal Year: 2001..A major focus will be on osmolytes of mammalian kidney, including the compatible osmolytes sorbitol and inositol, and the counteracting osmolytes glycerolphosphoryl choline (GCP) and betaine...
- METABOLIC STUDIES IN NORMAL AND CATARACTOUS LENSESSATISH SRIVASTAVA; Fiscal Year: 1993..during hyperglycemia and the activated enzyme is glycosylated, leading to an increased reduction of glucose to sorbitol. Further studies will be performed to establish the mechanism and the site of activation of aldose reductase and ..
- The functions of the US3 protein kinase of herpes simplex virusBernard Roizman; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. sorbitol) was followed by the findings that (a) HSV encodes two isomers of US3 designated US3 and US3...
- The Plasmodium 2TM and PHIST protein familiesThomas J Templeton; Fiscal Year: 2010..These parasite lines will be used phenotypic assays, such as sorbitol lysis and whole-cell patch clamp...
- Identification of anti-cariogenic/low-glycemic activity factors from Lo Han KuoCHIFU HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. phenylketonurics and diabetics). Moreover, altered sugar alcohol substitute sweeteners, i.e. sorbitol, xylitol, that have been marketed as noncariogenic sweeteners, and more recently as sweeteners for low ..
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in diabetic nephropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..mice and the wild-type mice with normal PARP content; and 3) to identify contribution of two enzymes of the sorbitol pathway, aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase, and individual reactive oxygen species to high glucose-..
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..Phase II consists of a six-month pilot RCT of xylitol solution versus control (sorbitol) solution administered once daily or three times a day to children six to 24 months old for six months...
- ACE inhibitor and prevention of diabetic retinopathyJinzhong Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Sorbitol, which can be produced within cells when intracellular glucose is elevated, likewise is increased in the retina ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF DIABETIC CATARACT FORMATIONPATRICK CAMMARATA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The accumulation of organic osmolytes (sorbitol, myo-inositol, taurine) normally protects the lens against osmotic imbalance by maintaining intracellular osmotic ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF SUGAR CATARACT IN LENS CELLSPATRICK CAMMARATA; Fiscal Year: 1999..The conversion of tissue glucose to sorbitol by the enzyme aldose reductase (AR), has been implicated as a potential mechanism leading to sugar cataract in ..
- POLYOL PATHWAY AND ISCHEMIC INJURY IN DIABETIC HEARTSRavichandran Ramasamy; Fiscal Year: 2005..In polyol pathway, glucose is reduced to sorbitol by aldose reductase (AR) and subsequently oxidized to fructose by sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- Carbon Antioxidants to Prevent Diabetic ComplicationsMICHAEL DIENER; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., eliminates the increases in advanced glycation end-products, protein kinase C activity, sorbitol concentration, and hexosamine pathway flux...
- PATHOGENESIS OF DIABETIC NEPHROPATHYYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2006..is regulated by a rate limiting enzyme, aldose reductase (AKR1B), that is involved in the reduction of glucose to sorbitol and detoxification of reactive carbonyls and lipid dialdehydes, utilizing NADPH as the cofactor...
- OXIDATIVE STRESS AND CATARACT FORMATIONSHAMBHU VARMA; Fiscal Year: 2005..GSH-peroxidase knockout mice will be used for specific aim #3. The levels of sorbitol, fructose, glycated proteins, AGE, ATP, GSH, malonaldehyde (MDA) and the chaperone activity of alpha-crystallin ..
- PHOSPHOLIPID METABOLISM IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYJoseph Eichberg; Fiscal Year: 1993..of biochemical and functional alterations, including reduced peripheral nerve conduction velocity, elevated sorbitol levels, decreased myo- inositol content and diminished Na+,K+-ATPase activity...