Genomes and Genes
Summary: A polyhydric alcohol with about half the sweetness of sucrose. Sorbitol occurs naturally and is also produced synthetically from glucose. It was formerly used as a diuretic and may still be used as a laxative and in irrigating solutions for some surgical procedures. It is also used in many manufacturing processes, as a pharmaceutical aid, and in several research applications.
Publications282 found, 100 shown here
- TDP-43 is directed to stress granules by sorbitol, a novel physiological osmotic and oxidative stressorColleen M Dewey
Department of Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9111, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:1098-108. 2011..In this study, we establish sorbitol as a novel physiological stressor that directs TDP-43 to stress granules in Hek293T cells and primary cultured ..
- Plasmolysis effects and osmotic potential of two phylogenetically distinct alpine strains of Klebsormidium (Streptophyta)Franziska Kaplan
Institute of Botany, Functional Plant Biology, University of Innsbruck, Sternwartestrasse 15, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
Protoplasma 249:789-804. 2012..investigated in two different Klebsormidium strains from alpine habitats by incubation in 300-2,000 (3,000) mM sorbitol. Several members of this genus were previously found to tolerate desiccation in the vegetative state yet ..
- Cryoprotective role of polyols independent of the increase in supercooling capacity in diapausing adults of Pyrrhocoris apterus (Heteroptera: Insecta)V Kost'ál
Institute of Entomology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 130:365-74. 2001Diapausing cold-acclimated adults of the bug Pyrrhocoris apterus accumulate four 'winter' polyols, ribitol, sorbitol, mannitol and arabinitol, in total concentrations of up to 100 mM...
- Erythrocyte aldose reductase activity and sorbitol levels in diabetic retinopathyG Bhanuprakash Reddy
National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad, India
Mol Vis 14:593-601. 2008..We investigated the relationship between ALR2 levels and human DR by measuring ALR2 activity and its product, sorbitol, in erythrocytes.
- OSM1/SYP61: a syntaxin protein in Arabidopsis controls abscisic acid-mediated and non-abscisic acid-mediated responses to abiotic stressJianhua Zhu
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1165, USA
Plant Cell 14:3009-28. 2002..Together, our results demonstrate important roles of OSM1/SYP61 in osmotic stress tolerance and in the ABA regulation of stomatal responses...
- Sorbitol co-feeding reduces metabolic burden caused by the overexpression of a Rhizopus oryzae lipase in Pichia pastorisRamon Ramon
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, ETSE, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 130:39-46. 2007..pastoris, the effect of sorbitol/methanol mixed substrates was tested in batch and fed-batch cultures...
- Sorbitol dehydrogenase of Aspergillus niger, SdhA, is part of the oxido-reductive D-galactose pathway and essential for D-sorbitol catabolismOuti M Koivistoinen
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Finland
FEBS Lett 586:378-83. 2012..pathway D-galactose is converted to d-fructose in a series of steps where the last step is the oxidation of d-sorbitol by an NAD-dependent dehydrogenase...
- In vitro screening of potato against water-stress mediated through sorbitol and polyethylene glycolJai Gopal
Crop Science Laboratory, Research Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 8589 Japan
Plant Cell Rep 26:693-700. 2007..Different levels of water-stress were induced using five concentrations of either sorbitol or polyethylene glycol (PEG) in MS medium. Water potential of various media ranged from -0.80 MPa to -2.05 MPa...
- Testing polyols' compatibility with Gibbs energy of stabilization of proteins under conditions in which they behave as compatible osmolytesInamul Haque
Department of Biosciences, Jamia Millia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi 110 025, India
FEBS Lett 579:3891-8. 2005..of the activity parameters (K(m) and k(cat)) and guanidinium chloride-induced denaturations of lysozyme and ribonuclease-A in the presence of five polyols (sorbitol, glycerol, mannitol, xylitol and adonitol) at pH 7.0 and 25 degrees C.
- Differential response of nucleus pulposus intervertebral disc cells to high salt, sorbitol, and ureaEleni Mavrogonatou
Laboratory of Cell Proliferation and Ageing, Institute of Biology, National Centre for Scientific Research Demokritos, Athens, Greece
J Cell Physiol 227:1179-87. 2012..the origin of this osmo-regulatory response, by using an ionic NaCl/KCl solution, the compatible osmolyte sorbitol, and the readily permeant urea...
- Activation of sorbitol pathway in metabolic syndrome and increased susceptibility to cataract in Wistar-Obese ratsPaduru Yadagiri Reddy
Biochemistry Division, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
Mol Vis 18:495-503. 2012....
- Detection of sorbitol-negative and sorbitol-positive Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes, Campylobacter jejuni, and Salmonella spp. in dairy farm environmental samplesS E Murinda
Food Safety Center of Excellence, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 1:97-104. 2004..Campylobacter jejuni, Salmonella spp., L. monocytogenes, Sorbitol-negative (SN)-STEC O157:H7, and sorbitol-positive (SP)-STEC, respectively, were isolated from 5.06%, 3.76%, 6...
- Sorbitol-fermenting enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- causes another outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome in childrenK Alpers
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Epidemiol Infect 137:389-95. 2009An outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) among children caused by infection with sorbitol-fermenting enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- (SF EHEC O157:H-) occurred in Germany in 2002...
- Osmoregulation of aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase in cultivated interstitial cells of rat renal inner medullaJurgen Steffgen
Abteilung Nephrologie und Rheumatologie, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:2255-61. 2003Little is known about sorbitol metabolism in renal papillary interstitial cells...
- Sorbitol dehydrogenase overexpression potentiates glucose toxicity to cultured retinal pericytesShinjiro Amano
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, 830 0011, Kurume, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299:183-8. 2002The polyol pathway consists of two enzymes, aldose reductase (AR) and sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- Catalytic mechanism of Zn2+-dependent polyol dehydrogenases: kinetic comparison of sheep liver sorbitol dehydrogenase with wild-type and Glu154-->Cys forms of yeast xylitol dehydrogenaseMario Klimacek
Institute of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12 I, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Biochem J 404:421-9. 2007Co-ordination of catalytic Zn2+ in sorbitol/xylitol dehydrogenases of the medium-chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamily involves direct or water-mediated interactions from a glutamic acid residue, which substitutes a homologous ..
- Sorbitol-fermenting, β-glucuronidase-positive, Shiga toxin-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 in free-ranging red deer in South-Central SpainSandra Diaz
Instituto de Investigacion en Recursos Cinegeticos, CSIC UCLM JCCM, Ciudad Real, Spain
Foodborne Pathog Dis 8:1313-5. 2011..coli O157:H7 in free-ranging red deer in south-central Spain, to assess their potential as reservoir hosts of sorbitol-fermenting (SF) E. coli O157:H7 strains, which are emerging causes of hemolytic uremic syndrome in Europe...
- Chromosomal dynamism in progeny of outbreak-related sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NMMartina Bielaszewska
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitat Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:1900-9. 2006b>Sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM (nonmotile) is a unique clone that causes outbreaks of hemorrhagic colitis and hemolytic-uremic syndrome...
- Aldose reductase inhibitor fidarestat prevents retinal oxidative stress and vascular endothelial growth factor overexpression in streptozotocin-diabetic ratsIrina G Obrosova
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, MSRB II, Room 5570, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0678, USA
Diabetes 52:864-71. 2003..Both low and high doses of fidarestat (i.e., the doses that partially and completely inhibited sorbitol pathway hyperactivity) arrested diabetes-induced retinal lipid peroxidation...
- Studies of rat and human retinas predict a role for the polyol pathway in human diabetic retinopathyZeina Dagher
Harvard Medical School, Schepens Eye Research Institute, 20 Staniford St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Diabetes 53:2404-11. 2004The polyol (sorbitol) pathway of glucose metabolism is activated in many cell types when intracellular glucose concentrations are high, and it can generate cellular stress through several mechanisms...
- Identification of common subpopulations of non-sorbitol-fermenting, beta-glucuronidase-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 from bovine production environments and human clinical samplesZhijie Yang
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68583 0919, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:6846-54. 2004Non-sorbitol-fermenting, beta-glucuronidase-negative Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains are regarded as a clone complex, and populations from different geographical locations are believed to share a recent common ancestor...
- Recycling of Shiga toxin 2 genes in sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:NMAlexander Mellmann
Institute of Hygiene, University of Munster, Robert Koch Str 41, 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:67-72. 2008..eae probes and agglutination in anti-O157 lipopolysaccharide serum, we isolated stx(2)-positive and eae-positive sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:NM (nonmotile) strains from initial stool ..
- Novel differential and confirmation plating media for Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli serotypes O26, O103, O111, O145 and sorbitol-positive and -negative O157Björn Possé
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ghent, Merelbeke, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Lett 282:124-31. 2008..A second differential medium was designed for both sorbitol-positive and -negative O157 STEC strains...
- Gene expression profiles and intracellular contents of stress protectants in Saccharomyces cerevisiae under ethanol and sorbitol stressesTomohiro Kaino
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 79:273-83. 2008..When yeast cells were exposed to 1 M sorbitol stress, the expression of GPD1 encoding glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase is induced, leading to glycerol ..
- Isolation and characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe mutants defective in cell wall (1-3)beta-D-glucanJ C Ribas
Instituto de Microbiologia Bioquimica, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain
J Bacteriol 173:3456-62. 1991..It is concluded that the cwg1+ and cwg2+ genes are related to (1,3)beta-D-glucan biosynthesis...
- A quantitative analysis of the benefits of mixed feeds of sorbitol and methanol for the production of recombinant avidin with Pichia pastorisCarmen Jungo
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Laboratoire de Génie Chimique et Biologique, Station 6, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biotechnol 131:57-66. 2007The advantages of mixed feeds of sorbitol and methanol for the production of recombinant proteins with Pichia pastoris were analyzed quantitatively...
- Effect of glucose on assimilatory sulphate reduction in Arabidopsis thaliana rootsHolger Hesse
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Department of Molecular Physiology, Am Muehlenberg 1, D 14476 Golm, Germany
J Exp Bot 54:1701-9. 2003..Treatment of roots with d-sorbitol or d-mannitol did not increase APR activity, indicating that osmotic stress was not involved in APR regulation...
- Abnormal breath tests to lactose, fructose and sorbitol in irritable bowel syndrome may be explained by small intestinal bacterial overgrowthG Nucera
Internal Medicine Department, Gemelli Hospital, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:1391-5. 2005Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and sugar malabsorption (lactose, fructose, sorbitol) may play a role in irritable bowel syndrome...
- Aldose reductase induced by hyperosmotic stress mediates cardiomyocyte apoptosis: differential effects of sorbitol and mannitolAnita S Galvez
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad de Chile, Santiago 6640750, Chile
J Biol Chem 278:38484-94. 2003Cells adapt to hyperosmotic conditions by several mechanisms, including accumulation of sorbitol via induction of the polyol pathway. Failure to adapt to osmotic stress can result in apoptotic cell death...
- A model system for increasing the intensity of whole-cell biocatalysis: investigation of the rate of oxidation of D-sorbitol to L-sorbose by thin bi-layer latex coatings of non-growing Gluconobacter oxydansM Fidaleo
Biotechnology Institute, University of Minnesota, 140 Gortner Laboratories, 1479 Gortner Avenue, St Paul, 55108, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 95:446-58. 2006..The oxidation of D-sorbitol to L-sorbose was used to investigate the coating catalytic properties...
- Turgor pressure regulation and the orientation of cortical microtubules in Spirogyra cellsK Iwata
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, Hirakata, Osaka, 573-0101 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 42:594-8. 2001..5 h, 0.25 M. Similar changes in MT orientation and recovery of the turgor pressure were also observed in 0.30 M sorbitol solution. These results suggest that the MT orientation may be correlated with the turgor pressure...
- Expression of RASSF6 in kidney and the implication of RASSF6 and the Hippo pathway in the sorbitol-induced apoptosis in renal proximal tubular epithelial cellsKanchanamala Withanage
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
J Biochem 152:111-9. 2012..We demonstrated that RASSF6 as well as the Hippo pathway are involved in the sorbitol-induced apoptosis in immortalized human proximal renal tubular epithelial HK-2 cells.
- Dietary sources of aldose reductase inhibitors: prospects for alleviating diabetic complicationsMegha Saraswat
National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17:558-65. 2008..in high glucose containing medium was used to underscore the significance in terms of prevention of intracellular sorbitol accumulation...
- Spray-drying of proteins: effects of sorbitol and trehalose on aggregation and FT-IR amide I spectrum of an immunoglobulin GMichael Maury
Department of Pharmaceutics, Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 59:251-61. 2005..The IgG solution contains initially 115 mg/ml IgG plus 50 mg/ml sorbitol. After dialysis, at least 80% of low molecular weight component was removed...
- Increased risk of cataract development in WNIN-obese rats due to accumulation of intralenticular sorbitolPaduru Yadagiri Reddy
Biochemistry Division, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
IUBMB Life 65:472-8. 2013..Previously we had demonstrated accumulation of sorbitol in the lens of obese rats (WNIN/Ob) and more so in a related strain with impaired glucose tolerance (WNIN/GR-Ob)...
- Identification of the anti-terminator qO111:H)- gene in Norwegian sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157:NMKjersti Haugum
Department of Foodborne Infections, The Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
FEMS Microbiol Lett 329:102-10. 2012b>Sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157:NM (SF O157) is an emerging pathogen suggested to be more virulent than nonsorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157:H7 (NSF O157)...
- Inhibitory effects of isorhamnetin-3-O-beta-D-glucoside from Salicornia herbacea on rat lens aldose reductase and sorbitol accumulation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat tissuesYeon Sil Lee
Seokwon Life Science Research Institute, World Sea Green Co Ltd, Paju 413 832, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 28:916-8. 2005..inhibitory effects of compounds from Salicornia herbacea (Chenopodiaceae) on rat lens aldose reductase (RLAR) and sorbitol accumulation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat tissues were investigated...
- Sorbitol production from lactose by engineered Lactobacillus casei deficient in sorbitol transport system and mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenaseReinout De Boeck
Laboratorio de Bacterias Lacticas y Probioticos, IATA CSIC, P O Box 73, 46100 Burjassot Valencia, Spain
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 85:1915-22. 2010b>Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol largely used in the food industry as a low-calorie sweetener...
- Quantitative determination of endogenous sorbitol and fructose in human erythrocytes by atmospheric-pressure chemical ionization LC tandem mass spectrometryH R Liang
Tandem Labs, A Division of NWT Inc, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 824:36-44. 2005Evaluation of different extraction methods for quantification of endogenous sorbitol and fructose in human red blood cells (RBCs) and matrix effects in ESI and APCI showed that protein-precipitation followed by mixed-mode solid-phase ..
- Effectiveness of the sorbitol H2 breath test in detecting histological damage among relatives of coeliacsA Tursi
Dept of Emergency, L Bonomo Hospital, Andria BA, Italy
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:727-31. 2003..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of the sorbitol H2 breath test (H2-BT) and serological tests (antigliadin (AGA), antiendomysium (EMA) and anti-tissue ..
- Enhancement of cell viability and alkaline polygalacturonate lyase production by sorbitol co-feeding with methanol in Pichia pastoris fermentationZhihao Wang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Biotechnology, Ministry of Education, School of Biotechnology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, 214122 Jiangsu, China
Bioresour Technol 101:1318-23. 2010..In order to enhance cell viability and volumetric recombinant protein productivity, sorbitol, which had been confirmed to be a non-repressive carbon source, was added together with methanol during the ..
- Evidence for a role for the Dictyostelium Rap1 in cell viability and the response to osmotic stressRujun Kang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, 300 6174 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Cell Sci 115:3675-82. 2002..The accumulation of cGMP in response to 0.4 M sorbitol was reduced after rapA antisense RNA induction and was enhanced in cells expressing the constitutively activated ..
- Cryopreservation of boar semen by egg yolk-based extenders containing lactose or fructose is better than sorbitolPanida Chanapiwat
Department of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproduction, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Vet Med Sci 74:351-4. 2012The present study determined the effect of different types of sugars (lactose, fructose, glucose and sorbitol) used in egg yolk-based extender on the post-thawed boar semen quality...
- Herpes simplex virus type 2 US3 blocks apoptosis induced by sorbitol treatmentTakayuki Murata
Laboratory of Virology, Research Institute for Disease Mechanism and Control, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Tsurumai cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Microbes Infect 4:707-12. 2002..cells, we examined whether expression of US3 is sufficient to protect cells from apoptotic cell death induced by sorbitol. Cells expressing US3 showed significantly reduced nuclear fragmentation in the degree that DNA fragmentation and ..
- Evaluation of a multiplex-PCR detection in combination with an isolation method for STEC O26, O103, O111, O145 and sorbitol fermenting O157 in foodK Verstraete
Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research ILVO, Technology and Food Science Unit, Brusselsesteenweg 370, 9090 Melle, Belgium
Food Microbiol 29:49-55. 2012..non-stressed, cold-stressed or freeze-stressed clinical STEC strains, including serogroups O26, O103, O111, O145, sorbitol fermenting (SF) O157 and non-sorbitol fermenting (NSF) O157...
- Purification and characterization of mannitol dehydrogenase and identification of the corresponding cDNA from the head blight fungus, Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum)Frances Trail
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1312, USA
Phytochemistry 61:791-6. 2002..0, and 7.0, respectively. Activity with sorbitol as the substrate was 21% of activity with mannitol...
- An alternative Candida spp. cell wall disruption method using a basic sorbitol lysis buffer and glass beadsCrystale Siew Ying Lim
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
J Microbiol Methods 75:576-8. 2008..which employs the use of glass beads in a simple sorbitol lysis buffer...
- Sugar levels modulate sorbitol dehydrogenase expression in maizeSylvia Morais de Sousa
Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genetica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Cidade Universitaria Zeferino Vaz, CP 6010, 13083 875 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Plant Mol Biol 68:203-13. 2008..This fructose can enter subsequent metabolism via hexokinase, or in maize kernels, by a sorbitol dehydrogenase that reversibly converts fructose + NADH to sorbitol + NAD...
- Glassy dynamics of sorbitol solutions at terahertz frequenciesJuraj Sibik
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge, CB2 3RA, UK
Phys Chem Chem Phys 15:11931-42. 2013The absorption spectra of D-sorbitol and a range of its concentrated aqueous solutions were studied by terahertz spectroscopy over the temperature interval of 80 K < T < 310 K...
- Identification of the operon for the sorbitol (Glucitol) Phosphoenolpyruvate:Sugar phosphotransferase system in Streptococcus mutansD A Boyd
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 0W2
Infect Immun 68:925-30. 2000..5-kb contiguous region containing six open reading frames constituting the operon for the sorbitol P-enolpyruvate phosphotransferase transport system (PTS) of Streptococcus mutans LT11...
- Effects of sorbitol dehydrogenase deficiency on nerve conduction in experimental diabetic miceT F Ng
Institute of Molecular Biology, The University of Hong Kong, China
Diabetes 47:961-6. 1998In this report, we made use of sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)-deficient mutant mice (C57BL/LiA) to test whether there is a close correlation between the level of polyol accumulation and the degree of reduction in motor nerve conduction ..
- Ileocolic perforation secondary to sodium polystyrene sulfonate in sorbitol use: a case reportVincent Trottier
Department of General Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Affilie Universitaire De Quebec, Quebec City, Quebec
Can J Gastroenterol 23:689-90. 2009..It can lead to various complications including cardiac arrhythmias. Sodium polystyrene sulfonate (SPS) in sorbitol is an ion-exchange resin that can be used to treat hyperkalemia. It can be used in enema or in oral form...
- Interference of bovine herpesvirus 1 (BHV-1) in sorbitol-Induced apoptosisL De Martino
Department of Pathology and Animal Health, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Naples Federico II, 80137 Naples, Italy
J Cell Biochem 89:373-80. 2003..ability of bovine herpesvirus type 1 (BHV-1) to suppress apoptosis, we examined the effects of BHV-1 infection on sorbitol-induced apoptosis on Madin-Darby bovine kidney (MDBK) cells...
- Effects of trehalose and sorbitol on the activity and structure of Pseudomonas cepacia lipase: spectroscopic insightAzadeh Azizi
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Int J Biol Macromol 49:652-6. 2011..In this study we have investigated the effects of sorbitol and trehalose on the structural stability and activity of Pseudomonas cepacia lipase (PCL), using UV-visible, ..
- Salivary mutans streptococci and dental caries in three-year-old children after maternal exposure to chewing gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine, and fluorideIngrid Thorild
Public Dental Clinic, Varberg, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:245-50. 2004..aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of maternal use of chewing gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine, and fluoride on salivary mutans streptococci (MS) counts and caries prevalence in the mothers' 3-..
- Successful treatment of a colonic ulcer penetrating the urinary bladder caused by the administration of calcium polystyrene sulfonate and sorbitolTakeshi Shioya
Surgery for Organ Function and Biological Regulation, Graduate School of Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 74:359-63. 2007..After admission, she received oral calcium polystyrene sulfonate and sorbitol to treat hyperkalemia. Nine days later, severe abdominal pain developed...
- Molecular properties of membrane-bound FAD-containing D-sorbitol dehydrogenase from thermotolerant Gluconobacter frateurii isolated from ThailandHirohide Toyama
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:1120-9. 2005There are two types of membrane-bound D-sorbitol dehydrogenase (SLDH) reported: PQQ-SLDH, having pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), and FAD-SLDH, containing FAD and heme c as the prosthetic groups...
- Sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157: indications for an animal reservoirD Orth
Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University and Austrian Reference Laboratory for EHEC STEC VTEC, Innsbruck, Austria
Epidemiol Infect 134:719-23. 2006This study investigates a sorbitol-fermenting enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (SF EHEC) O157 infection in a farmer's family in the Austrian province of Salzburg...
- Parallel activation of Ca(2+)-induced survival and death pathways in cardiomyocytes by sorbitol-induced hyperosmotic stressM Chiong
Centro FONDAP Estudios Moleculares de la Celula, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Apoptosis 15:887-903. 2010..Here, we investigated if Ca(2+) signals contribute to this response. Exposure of cardiomyocytes to sorbitol [600 mosmol (kg water)(-1)] elicited large and oscillatory intracellular Ca(2+) concentration increases...
- Attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform mid-infrared spectroscopic quantification of sorbitol and sorbose during a Gluconobacter biotransformation processSue Macauley-Patrick
Strathclyde Fermentation Centre, Department of Bioscience, University of Strathclyde, 204 George St, Glasgow G1 1XW, UK
Biotechnol Lett 25:257-60. 2003Mid-infrared spectroscopy (MIRS) was used to simultaneously detect and predict concentrations of D-sorbitol and L-sorbose during a Gluconobacter suboxydans biotransformation...
- Transcranial doppler monitoring of intracranial pressure therapy with mannitol, sorbitol and glycerol in patients with acute strokeJ Treib
Department of Neurology, University of the Saarland, Homburg, Germany
Eur Neurol 40:212-9. 1998..Using transcranial Doppler (TCD), a continuous monitoring of ICP is now possible, because the TCD pulsatility index (PI) intraindividually closely correlates with the level of ICP...
- The biotechnological production of sorbitolM M Silveira
Universidade de Caxias do Sul Instituto de Biotecnologia CP 1352, 95001 970 Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 59:400-8. 2002b>Sorbitol, a polyol found in many fruits, is of increasing industrial interest as a sweetener, humectant, texturizer and softener. At present, it is produced chemically...
- Influence of NaCl and sorbitol on the stability of conformations of cytochrome cJ Bágel'ová
Department of Biophysics, Institute of Experimental Physics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Watsonova 47, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Biophys Chem 135:110-5. 2008Influence of ionic (NaCl) and non-ionic (sorbitol) additives on structural transitions of cytochrome c was investigated by circular dichroism, optical and EPR spectroscopy...
- Osmotic stress up-regulates aquaporin-3 gene expression in cultured human keratinocytesY Sugiyama
Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Ltd, 5-3-28 Kotobuki-cho, 250-0002, Odawara, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1522:82-8. 2001..Incubation of keratinocytes in sorbitol-added hypertonic medium increased AQP3 mRNA expression...
- Cattle can be a reservoir of sorbitol-fermenting shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H(-) strains and a source of human diseasesM Bielaszewska
Institute for Medical Microbiology, The 2nd Medical Faculty, Charles University, 150 06 Prague, Czech Republic
J Clin Microbiol 38:3470-3. 2000Using the immunomagnetic separation procedure, we isolated sorbitol-fermenting (SF) Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) O157:H(-) strains from two patients, one with hemolytic-uremic syndrome and the other with diarrhea, and ..
- Sorbitol-induced apoptosis of human leukemia is mediated by caspase activation and cytochrome c releaseGabriella Marfe
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Arch Toxicol 82:371-7. 2008It has been reported that sorbitol induces apoptosis in several cancer cell lines. However, the molecular mechanism underlying the sorbitol-induced apoptotic process is not yet clearly understood...
- Inhibition of aldose reductase by dietary antioxidant curcumin: mechanism of inhibition, specificity and significanceP Muthenna
Biochemistry Division, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad 500 604, India
FEBS Lett 583:3637-42. 2009Accumulation of intracellular sorbitol due to increased aldose reductase (ALR2) activity has been implicated in the development of various secondary complications of diabetes...
- Noninvasive functional liver blood flow measurement: comparison between bolus dose and steady-state clearance of sorbitol in a small-rodent modelBen van der Hoven
Department of Intensive Care, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G177-81. 2010Plasma clearance of D-sorbitol, a nontoxic polyol, occurs predominantly in the liver and has been used to measure functional liver blood flow after bolus and steady- state intravenous administration...
- Physicochemical characterization of solid dispersions of indomethacin with PEG 6000, Myrj 52, lactose, sorbitol, dextrin, and Eudragit E100Hadi Valizadeh
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:303-17. 2004..polyethylene glycol (PEG) 6000, Myrj 52, Eudragit E100, and different carbohydrates such as lactose, mannitol, sorbitol, and dextrin. Indomethacin is a class II substance according to the Biopharmaceutics Classification System...
- Distinct physiological roles of two membrane-bound dehydrogenases responsible for D-sorbitol oxidation in Gluconobacter frateuriiWichai Soemphol
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:842-50. 2008Two different membrane-bound enzymes oxidizing D-sorbitol are found in Gluconobacter frateurii THD32: pyroloquinoline quinone-dependent glycerol dehydrogenase (PQQ-GLDH) and FAD-dependent D-sorbitol dehydrogenase (FAD-SLDH)...
- Lidocaine/monoethylglycinexylidide test, galactose elimination test, and sorbitol elimination test for metabolic assessment of liver cell bioreactorsJörg C Gerlach
Department of Surgery, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Artif Organs 34:462-72. 2010..Measurements of monoethylglycinexylidide synthesis and elimination of lidocaine, galactose elimination, and sorbitol elimination proved to be useful for routine QA of primary liver cell cultures...
- Desperately seeking diarrhoea: outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome caused by emerging sorbitol-fermenting shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H-, Germany, 2009S Nielsen
European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training EPIET, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control ECDC, Stockholm, Sweden
Zoonoses Public Health 58:567-72. 2011Infection with sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H- (sf STEC O157:H-) is rare, but emerging in Europe...
- Molar concentrations of sorbitol and polyethylene glycol inhibit the Plasmodium aquaglyceroporin but not that of E. coli: involvement of the channel vestibulesJie Song
Department of Medicinal amd Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kiel, Gutenbergstrasse 76, 24118, Kiel, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1818:1218-24. 2012..e. sucrose, sorbitol, PEG300, and glycerol...
- Association of prescription of oral sodium polystyrene sulfonate with sorbitol in an inpatient setting with colonic necrosis: a retrospective cohort studyMaura A Watson
Nephrology Service, Department of Medicine, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 60:409-16. 2012Colonic necrosis has been reported after sodium polystyrene sulfonate (SPS)/sorbitol use, but the incidence and relative risk (RR) are not established.
- Sorbitol and myo-inositol levels and morphology of sural nerve in relation to peripheral nerve function and clinical neuropathy in men with diabetic, impaired, and normal glucose toleranceG Sundkvist
Department of Endocrinology, University of Lund, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
Diabet Med 17:259-68. 2000b>Sorbitol and myo-inositol levels and morphology of sural nerve were compared with nerve function and clinical neuropathy in men with diabetic, impaired (IGT), and normal glucose tolerance.
- Fibre-optic biosensor based on luminescence and immobilized enzymes: microdetermination of sorbitol, ethanol and oxaloacetateS M Gautier
Laboratoire de Génie Enzymatique Atelier de Biotechnologie, CNRS Université Claude Bernard Lyon, Villeurbanne, France
J Biolumin Chemilumin 5:57-63. 1990..Various NAD(P)-dependent enzymes, sorbitol dehydrogenase, alcohol dehydrogenase and malate dehydrogenase, were co-immobilized on preactivated polyamide ..
- Guanidine-containing molecular transporters: sorbitol-based transporters show high intracellular selectivity toward mitochondriaKaustabh K Maiti
Department of Chemistry, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790 784, Korea
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 46:5880-4. 2007
- Effect of sorbitol and residual moisture on the stability of lyophilized antibodies: Implications for the mechanism of protein stabilization in the solid stateLiuquan Lucy Chang
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CN 06269, USA
J Pharm Sci 94:1445-55. 2005..To investigate the effect of plasticizers on the stability of protein formulations in the solid state and to apply these results to a study of mechanisms of protein stabilization by sugars in the solid sate...
- Colonic necrosis in a young patient receiving oral kayexalate in sorbitol: case report and literature reviewYueh Hung Chou
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 27:155-8. 2011..Concomitant administration of kayexalate and sorbitol may induce gastrointestinal injury, which is potentially lethal...
- A single amino acid change (Y318F) in the L-arabitol dehydrogenase (LadA) from Aspergillus niger results in a significant increase in affinity for D-sorbitolLucy Rutten
Department of Crystal and Structural Chemistry, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
BMC Microbiol 9:166. 2009..only differ in the activity on their biological substrate, but also that only XDH has significant activity on D-sorbitol and may therefore be more closely related to D-sorbitol dehydrogenases (SDH)...
- ZAC1 is up-regulated by hypertonicity and decreases sorbitol dehydrogenase expression, allowing accumulation of sorbitol in kidney cellsMiguel A Lanaspa
Department of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
J Biol Chem 284:19974-81. 2009..Because ZAC1 has been described to be a potential negative regulator of sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH) in hippocampal cells, we examined whether this relationship also occurs in kidney cells under ..
- Sorbitol accumulation and transmembrane efflux in osmotically stressed JS1 schwannoma cellsA P Mizisin
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0612, USA
Neurosci Lett 229:53-6. 1997b>Sorbitol accumulation and transmembrane efflux in JS1 schwannoma cells were examined during osmotic stress in the presence of a sorbitol dehydrogenase (SD) inhibitor and following return to iso-osmotic conditions...
- Early neural and vascular dysfunctions in diabetic rats are largely sequelae of increased sorbitol oxidationYasuo Ido
Boston Medical Center, EBRC 820, Diabetes and Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 12:39-51. 2010These experiments were undertaken to assess the importance of cytoplasmic (c) sorbitol oxidation versus mitochondrial (m) pyruvate oxidation in mediating neural and vascular dysfunction attributable to hyperglycemia in diabetic rats...
- Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet improves mood and gastrointestinal disturbances in fructose malabsorbersM Ledochowski
Dept of Clinical Nutrition, Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Scand J Gastroenterol 35:1048-52. 2000..It was therefore of interest whether a fructose-reduced diet could not only improve gastrointestinal complaints but also depressive signs seen in fructose malabsorbers...
- Molecular and phenotypic profiling of sorbitol-fermenting Escherichia coli O157:H- human isolates from FinlandM Eklund
Enteric Bacteria Laboratory, Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, National Public Health Institute KTL, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:634-41. 2006..enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC)-hlyA, katP, espP, etpD, sfpA and the flagellar fliC gene, in nine sorbitol-fermenting (SF), beta-glucuronidase-positive E...
- Sorbitol-fermenting Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 in AustriaDorothea Orth
Austrian Reference Center for Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli, Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 121:108-12. 2009..Shiga toxins are considered to be the most important virulence factor of EHEC strains. Non-sorbitol-fermenting EHEC O157:H7 is still the most prevalent serotype isolated worldwide; however, sorbitol-fermenting (SF)..
- A cerebroprotective dose of intravenous citrate/sorbitol-stabilized dehydroascorbic acid is correlated with increased cerebral ascorbic acid and inhibited lipid peroxidation after murine reperfused strokeWilliam J Mack
Department of Neurological Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neurosurgery 59:383-8; discussion 383-8. 2006..We previously demonstrated that exogenously supplied dehydroascorbic acid (DHA), an oxidized, blood-brain barrier transportable form of the antioxidant ascorbic acid (AA), improves outcome after experimental stroke...
- Biosensor for the determination of sorbitol based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymersLiang Feng
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Biosens Bioelectron 19:1513-9. 2004..biosensor based on molecularly imprinted electrosynthesized polymers is reported as the first case of imprinting sorbitol. A relevant molecularly imprinted film is prepared by o-phenylenediamine (o-PD) using the electrochemical method...
- Intragastric infusion of glucose enhances the rewarding effect of sorbitol fatty acid ester ingestion as measured by conditioned place preference in miceShigenobu Matsumura
Laboratory of Nutrition Chemistry, Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Oiwakecho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto City, 606 8502, Japan
Physiol Behav 99:509-14. 2010..Although mice showed high affinity for a low-energy fat substitute--sorbitol fatty acid esters and low-concentration linoleic acid solution--they did not exhibit a place preference toward a ..
- Sorbitol can fuel mouse sperm motility and protein tyrosine phosphorylation via sorbitol dehydrogenaseWenlei Cao
Center for Research on Reproduction and Women s Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6160, USA
Biol Reprod 80:124-33. 2009..Two major monosaccharides, sorbitol and fructose, are present in semen...
- Aldose reductase inhibition counteracts oxidative-nitrosative stress and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation in tissue sites for diabetes complicationsIrina G Obrosova
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, 6400 Perkins Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Diabetes 54:234-42. 2005..kg(-1) . day(-1)) for 6 weeks starting from induction of diabetes. Sorbitol pathway intermediate, but not glucose, accumulation in sciatic nerve and retina was completely prevented in ..
- Occurrence of non-sorbitol fermenting, verocytotoxin-lacking Escherichia coli O157 on cattle farmsKatrijn Cobbaut
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Microbiol 138:174-8. 2009..8% (8/68) of the positive farms. From these eight farms, a total of 43 sorbitol-negative E. coli O157:H7 were collected...
- Effect of xylitol and sorbitol on plaque acidogenesisChristian H Splieth
Department for Preventive and Pediatric Dentistry, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Quintessence Int 40:279-85. 2009To evaluate the in vivo potential of xylitol to reduce plaque acidogenicity in comparison to sorbitol.
- Histatin 5 initiates osmotic stress response in Candida albicans via activation of the Hog1 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathwaySlavena Vylkova
Department of Oral Biology, SUNY at Buffalo Main Street Campus, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Eukaryot Cell 6:1876-88. 2007..C. albicans cells prestressed with sorbitol were less sensitive to subsequent Hst 5 treatment; however, cells treated concurrently with osmotic stress and ..
- Presence and characterization of a mosaic genomic island which distinguishes sorbitol-fermenting enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H- from E. coli O157:H7Andreas Janka
Institut fur Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Robert Koch Strasse 41, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4875-8. 2005..flanked by segments of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strain EDL933 O islands 43, 81, and 82 was identified in sorbitol-fermenting (SF) enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H(-) strain 493/89...
- Nitric oxide prevents aldose reductase activation and sorbitol accumulation during diabetesDeepak Chandra
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Diabetes 51:3095-101. 2002..Herein we report that several nitric oxide (NO) donors prevent ex vivo synthesis of sorbitol in erythrocytes obtained from diabetic or nondiabetic rats...
- Another feature of TURP syndrome: hyperglycaemia and lactic acidosis caused by massive absorption of sorbitolC A Trépanier
Department of Anesthesia, Centre Hospitalier Affilie Universitaire De Quebec, hôpital Enfant Jésus, Laval University, 1401, 18 Rue, Quebec, PQ, G1J 1Z4 Canada
Br J Anaesth 87:316-9. 2001..and lactic acidosis complicated the TURP syndrome caused by the massive absorption (approximately 15 litres) of a sorbitol- mannitol irrigation solution...
- Ancestral divergence, genome diversification, and phylogeographic variation in subpopulations of sorbitol-negative, beta-glucuronidase-negative enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157J Kim
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0919, USA
J Bacteriol 183:6885-97. 2001..including markers for acquisition of virulence genes and loss of physiological characteristics, such as sorbitol fermentation ability and beta-glucuronidase production...
- Sorbitol causes preferential selection of Muller glial precursors from late retinal progenitor cells in vitroTasneem Zahir
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Mol Vis 12:1606-14. 2006The replacement of glucose by sorbitol in growth medium causes selection of astroglial cells from heterogeneous primary cultures derived from the brains of newborn mice...
- Xylitol and D-arabitol toxicities due to derepressed fructose, galactitol, and sorbitol phosphotransferases of Escherichia coliA M Reiner
J Bacteriol 132:166-73. 1977..d-Arabitol sensitivity also occurs in sorbitol-constitutive strains and is shown, like the previous two instances of pentitol toxicities, to result from a ..
- Comparison of transcriptional responses to osmotic stresses induced by NaCl and sorbitol additions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using DNA microarrayTakashi Hirasawa
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2 1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 102:568-71. 2006..laboratory and brewing strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to osmotic stresses induced by adding either NaCl or sorbitol to their cultures were compared by clustering DNA microarray data...
- A novel role for endogenous fructose in ischemic acute kidney injuryMIGUEL ANGEL LANASPA GARCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The polyol pathway is a metabolic route constituted by two enzymes, aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase...
- The functions of the US3 protein kinase of herpes simplex virusBernard Roizman; Fiscal Year: 2011..g. sorbitol) was followed by the findings that (a) HSV encodes two isomers of US3 designated US3 and US3...
- The Plasmodium 2TM and PHIST protein familiesThomas J Templeton; Fiscal Year: 2012..These parasite lines will be used phenotypic assays, such as sorbitol lysis and whole-cell patch clamp...
- Novel Plasmodial Surface Anion Channel Inhibitors as Antimalarial DrugsMichelle M Butler; Fiscal Year: 2013..In preliminary studies, Dr. Sanjay Desai, NIH, developed and applied a screen for PSAC inhibitors using a sorbitol transport assay, that resulted in the identification of several chemotypes that displayed inhibitory potencies (..
- NEUROENDOCRINE ETIOLOGY OF DIABETIC GASTROPATHYThomas Nowak; Fiscal Year: 1999..influence of the duration of the diabetic state on vagal and sciatic nerve concentrations of glucose, fructose, sorbitol, myoinositol, and Na+-K+-ATPase activity...
- Identification of anti-cariogenic/low-glycemic activity factors from Lo Han KuoCHIFU HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. phenylketonurics and diabetics). Moreover, altered sugar alcohol substitute sweeteners, i.e. sorbitol, xylitol, that have been marketed as noncariogenic sweeteners, and more recently as sweeteners for low ..
- MECHANISMS FOR INTESTINAL BILE ACID TRANSPORTFrederick Wilson; Fiscal Year: 1990..The photolyzed cells are subjected to subcellular fractionation, using differential centrifugation and sorbitol gradient separation, followed by SDS-PAGE...
- FREEZING STORAGE OF HEART AT HIGH SUBZERO TEMPERATURESTingchung Wang; Fiscal Year: 1993..temperatures (-8 degrees C or higher) employing modest levels of natural cryoprotectants (glucose, glycerol, sorbitol, etc.)...
- RETINAL MICROVESSELS BASIS FOR INJURY IN DIABETESGary Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 1990..exposed to high concentrations of glucose in tissue culture, retinal pericytes and endothelial cell ssynthesize sorbitol. We believe that intracellular sorbitol may interfere with receptor mediated turnover of inositol phospholipids ..
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..Phase II consists of a six-month pilot RCT of xylitol solution versus control (sorbitol) solution administered once daily or three times a day to children six to 24 months old for six months...
- ACE inhibitor and prevention of diabetic retinopathyJinzhong Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Sorbitol, which can be produced within cells when intracellular glucose is elevated, likewise is increased in the retina ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF DIABETIC CATARACT FORMATIONPATRICK CAMMARATA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The accumulation of organic osmolytes (sorbitol, myo-inositol, taurine) normally protects the lens against osmotic imbalance by maintaining intracellular osmotic ..
- Physiology of Osmotic Stress in Saccharmyces cerevisiaeRobert Ramirez; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, mammalian renal cells are known to accumulate glycerophosphocholine (GPC), glycine betaine, sorbitol, inositol and urea during anti-diuresis...
- Carbon Antioxidants to Prevent Diabetic ComplicationsMICHAEL DIENER; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., eliminates the increases in advanced glycation end-products, protein kinase C activity, sorbitol concentration, and hexosamine pathway flux...
- REGULATION OF RAT RENAL INNER MEDULLARY FUNCTIONJEFF SANDS; Fiscal Year: 1993..III-Inner medullary cells osmoregulate, in part, by regulating the production of intracellular sorbitol. Sorbitol production is regulated by the enzyme aldose reductase...
- SUGAR CATARACTS AND RETINOPATHYDavid Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2000..There is a body of evidence that both the retinopathy and the cataracts found in diabetic patients are caused by sorbitol from the aldose reductase(AR)-catalyzed reduction of glucose...
- Role of fibrate mechanism in diabetes and its complicationsGANESARATNAM BALENDIRAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our findings suggest that these drugs are better inhibitors for an enzyme that converts excess glucose to sorbitol under diabetic condition and plan to study their mechanism in diabetes and its complications.
- DIABETIC RETINOPATHY: BASIC STUDY IN PERICYTE METABOLISMWeiye Li; Fiscal Year: 1993..In this application we propose to study the biochemical mechanisms by which this occurs. Activated sorbitol pathway and decreased myo-inositol content induced by high glucose may alter cell signal transduction through ..
- Hyperglycemia, Aldose Reducatse & Murine AtherosclerosisIra Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Mice are relatively deficient in aldose reductase (AR), the enzyme that converts glucose to sorbitol. We discovered that LDL receptor knockout mice (Ldlr-/-) made diabetic with streptozotocin (STZ) treatment have ..
- DIABETES AND BLADDER SMOOTH MUSCLE METABOLIC DYSFUNCTIONCHRISTOPHER HARDIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..However, in microvascular smooth muscle, pathological flux through the sorbitol pathway is a primary defect...
- PATHOGENESIS OF DIABETIC NEUROPATHYDavid Fink; Fiscal Year: 1993..The link between reduced retrograde transport and the known metabolic abnormalities of hyperglycemia, nerve sorbitol accumulation, or nerve myoinositol depletion is not known...
- PHOSPHOLIPID METABOLISM IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYJoseph Eichberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..as well as in primary neonatal rat and human fetal Schwann cells by examining the effects of aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase inhibitors as well as Vit E and N-acetylcysteine, on arachidonyl containing molecular species (ACMS)..
- STRUCTURE-BASED ALDOSE REDUCTASE INHIBITORSDAVID BORHANI; Fiscal Year: 1992..Aldose reductase catalyzes the reduction of glucose to sorbitol. It has been implicated in the pathogenesis of the chronic complications of diabetes mellitus...
- Lacrimal acinar secretory vesicle biogenesis and releaseRonald Marchelletta; Fiscal Year: 2006..isolation of subcellular membrane compartments from CCH-stimulated lacrimal acinar cells by centrifugation over sorbitol density gradients and partitioning into aqueous polyethyleneglycol-dextran followed by SDS-PAGE and Western ..
- DIABETES MELLITUS AND THE ANTERIOR SEGMENT OF THE EYERichard Schultz; Fiscal Year: 1980..membrane abnormalities seen with electron microscopy, unusual HLA antigen loci, and the identification of sorbitol and other carbohydrates in the corneal epithelium...
- GENETICS OF NEPHROPATHY IN HUMAN TYPE 2 DIABETESSTEVEN ELBEIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Sorbitol accumulation and aldose reductase expression will be examined and tested for linkage to the aldose reductase ..
- PATHWAYS OF ETHANOL METABOLISMBernard Landau; Fiscal Year: 1980..will be estimated from the fate of the R hydrogen of ethanol compared to the hydrogen bound to carbon 2 of sorbitol. Whether (2-2H) sorbitol can be used in place of (2-3H) sorbitol will be determined...
- DEAZA ANALOGS OF ALDOSE REDUCTASE INHIBITORSISAAC DONKOR; Fiscal Year: 1992..Since aldose reductase catalyzes the conversion of excess glucose to sorbitol, inhibition of this enzyme represents a clinically useful approach toward the treatment and/or prevention of ..
- Peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst:diabetic neuropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..arterioles, metabolic indices such as nerve cytosolic and mitochondrial NAD+/NADH redox state, energy state, sorbitol pathway intermediates, and measures of oxidative stress such as nitrotyrosine, poly(ADPribose), lipid ..
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in diabetic nephropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..mice and the wild-type mice with normal PARP content; and 3) to identify contribution of two enzymes of the sorbitol pathway, aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase, and individual reactive oxygen species to high glucose-..
- Multifunctional Antioxidants as Anti-Cataract AgentsPeter Kador; Fiscal Year: 2007..without inhibiting the experimentally established initiators of diabetic cataract formation -- hyperglycemia and sorbitol formation, this proposal seeks to incorporate functional groups into 1-N,N'-dimethylsulfamoyl-4-(2-pyrimidyl)..
- Investigating the Molecular Mechanism of Hexose-induced Stress in Lens and RetinaPeter F Kador; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, these studies should help identify new drug targets for the treatment of these diabetic complications. ..
- Role of Organic Osmolytes in Renal Papillary NecrosisGilbert Moeckel; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is necessary to understand these processes in order to design effective diagnostic procedures, therapeutic approaches and preventive measures for RPN. ..
- Fluoride Varnish to Prevent Caries in Toddlers - An Expanded Immunization ProgramPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2008..Keywords: fluoride varnish, dental caries, oral health, early prevention, multi-center, toddlers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of COX2 in Medullary Interstitial Cell Survival and FunctionGilbert Moeckel; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is necessary to understand how these cells function in order to design better drugs to treat high blood pressure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biotech & Materials Research to Reduce Caries DisparityPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be co-sponsored by the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, the University of Washington UWeb Bioengineering Center, and the Salivary Diagnostics Project. ..
- Protein Biomarker Profiles of Abusive Alcohol ConsumptionFrank Witzmann; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vanadocenes as a New Class of Spermicidal DrugsOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL DIABETIC AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHYROBERT EDWARD SCHMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, we are poised to understand the pathogenesis and develop novel therapies for diabetic autonomic neuropathy. ..
- DYSREGULATION OF THE TAURINE TRANSPORTER IN DIABETESMartin Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2002..AR catalyzes the conversion of glucose to sorbitol and is thought to act as an osmotic stress response protein by compensating for hypertonic stress through ..
- Activated Sugars for Drug DiscoveryRyan Woodyer; Fiscal Year: 2006..These sugars can be used to make derivatives of natural products with new therapeutic properties, for example, antibiotics that are effective against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of QLF Handpiece for Early Caries DetectionGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Optically enhanced dental sealants to indicate placement and material conditionGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] 3) An optically doped sealant combines the efficacy advantages of a clear sealant with the visibility advantages of an opaque sealant. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Stampidine: A Novel Broad-Spectrum Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of STAMP in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- POLYOL PATHWAY AND ISCHEMIC INJURY IN DIABETIC HEARTSRavichandran Ramasamy; Fiscal Year: 2005..In polyol pathway, glucose is reduced to sorbitol by aldose reductase (AR) and subsequently oxidized to fructose by sorbitol dehydrogenase (SDH)...
- Caries Risk Assessment Instrument for Young AdultsGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2005..Future large-scale investigations will be undertaken to validate the merits of the instrument. ..
- Clinical Models Workshop:Remin-Demin, Precavity, CariesGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2005..The meeting will be held on July 3-5, 2005 in the Downtown Marriott Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana, immediately prior to the annual ORCA (European Organization for Caries Research) meeting. ..
- IN VIVO IMAGING OF GROWTH PLATE DYNAMICSCornelia Farnum; Fiscal Year: 2009..Detailed functional knowledge of vascular routes to the growth plate, and movement of molecules within the growth plate, is essential as thought is given to targeting therapeutic agents to the growth plate. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Nerve Pathology in DiabetesAndrew Mizisin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIGH GLUCOSE, DNA, AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSMara Lorenzi; Fiscal Year: 2002..If a chain of causal relationships is established, the studies will bring to the fore targets for rational interventions. ..
- Macromolecular X-Ray Crystallography InstrumentNeela Yennawar; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- NEUROPATHOLOGY OF THE AGING SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEMRobert Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these experiments should provide insight not only into autonomic dysfunction, but into a variety of pathologic processes in which NAD is a prominent component. ..
- METABOLIC STUDIES IN NORMAL AND CATARACTOUS LENSESSATISH SRIVASTAVA; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Mood Disorders & Diabetes: Common Disease MechanismsWILLIAM REGENOLD; Fiscal Year: 2005..aims to determine whether increased conversion of glucose by aldose reductase through the polyol pathway to sorbitol--a potentially neurotoxic metabolite--is a mechanism of the brain white matter disease that has been associated ..