Summary: An isomer of glucose that has traditionally been considered to be a B vitamin although it has an uncertain status as a vitamin and a deficiency syndrome has not been identified in man. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p1379) Inositol phospholipids are important in signal transduction.
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- Inositol stereoisomers stabilize an oligomeric aggregate of Alzheimer amyloid beta peptide and inhibit abeta -induced toxicityJ McLaurin
Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3H2, Canada
J Biol Chem 275:18495-502. 2000b>Inositol has 8 stereoisomers, four of which are physiologically active. myo-Inositol is the most abundant isomer in the brain and more recently shown that epi- and scyllo-inositol are also present...
- Crosstalks between myo-inositol metabolism, programmed cell death and basal immunity in ArabidopsisPing Hong Meng
Institut de Biotechnologie des Plantes, UMR CNRS 8618, Universite Paris Sud XI, Bat 630, Plateau de Moulon, Orsay, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7364. 2009..yeast two-hybrid screen using ATXR5 as bait captured AtIPS1, an enzyme which catalyses the committed step of myo-inositol (MI) biosynthesis...
- Targeted metabolomic analyses of cellular models of pelizaeus-merzbacher disease reveal plasmalogen and myo-inositol solute carrier dysfunctionPaul L Wood
Phenomenome Discoveries Inc, 204 407 Downey Road, Saskatoon, SK S7N4L8, Canada
Lipids Health Dis 10:102. 2011..Further targeted metabolomics analyses were conducted to obtain a preliminary evaluation of the metabolic consequences of lipid changes and gene mutations in these cell models...
- Effect of treating streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with sorbinil, myo-inositol or aminoguanidine on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity and vascular function of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerveLawrence J Coppey
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52246, USA
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:21-36. 2002..Treatment of diabetic rats with aldose reductase inhibitors, aminoguanidine or myo-inositol supplementation have been shown to improve motor nerve conduction velocity and/or decreased endoneurial blood ..
- D-chiro-inositol-enriched tartary buckwheat bran extract lowers the blood glucose level in KK-Ay miceYang Yao
Institute of Crop Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, No 80 South Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing, People s Republic of China 100081
J Agric Food Chem 56:10027-31. 2008D-chiro-inositol (DCI) is an active compound in tartary buckwheat [Fagopyrum tataricum (L.) Gaench] with an insulin-like bioactivity...
- Human sodium/inositol cotransporter 2 (SMIT2) transports inositols but not glucose in L6 cellsXiaobo Lin
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue Box 8127, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 481:197-201. 2009To characterize the function of the sodium/inositol symporter SMIT2 in skeletal muscle, human SMIT2 cDNA was transfected into L6 myoblasts using pcDNA3.1 expression vector. Compared with the pcDNA3...
- Small molecule beta-amyloid inhibitors that stabilize protofibrillar structures in vitro improve cognition and pathology in a mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseCheryl A Hawkes
Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 31:203-13. 2010..We have previously reported that scyllo-inositol inhibits Abeta(42) fibril formation but the mechanism(s) by which this occurs has not been investigated in detail...
- Inositol monophosphate phosphatase genes of Mycobacterium tuberculosisFarahnaz Movahedzadeh
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, London NW1 0TU, UK
BMC Microbiol 10:50. 2010Mycobacteria use inositol in phosphatidylinositol, for anchoring lipoarabinomannan (LAM), lipomannan (LM) and phosphatidylinosotol mannosides (PIMs) in the cell envelope, and for the production of mycothiol, which maintains the redox ..
- The Arabidopsis thaliana Myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase1 gene is required for Myo-inositol synthesis and suppression of cell deathJanet L Donahue
Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Plant Cell 22:888-903. 2010l-myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase (MIPS; EC 220.127.116.11) catalyzes the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of myo-inositol, a critical compound in the cell. Plants contain multiple MIPS genes, which encode highly similar enzymes...
- Determination of transport stoichiometry for two cation-coupled myo-inositol cotransporters: SMIT2 and HMITFrancis Bourgeois
Groupe d étude des protéines membranaires GÉPROM, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
J Physiol 563:333-43. 2005Three different mammalian myo-inositol cotransporters are currently known; two are Na+-coupled (SMIT1 and SMIT2) and one is proton-coupled (HMIT)...
- Genetic control of lithium sensitivity and regulation of inositol biosynthetic genesJason King
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
PLoS ONE 5:e11151. 2010..Further studies demonstrated that PO is a negative regulator of inositol(1,4,5)trisphosphate (IP(3)) synthesis, a Li(+) sensitive intracellular signal...
- Evaluation of butylated hydroxyanisole, myo-inositol, curcumin, esculetin, resveratrol and lycopene as inhibitors of benzo[a]pyrene plus 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone-induced lung tumorigenesis in A/J miceS S Hecht
University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Cancer Lett 137:123-30. 1999The potential activities of butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), myo-inositol, curcumin, esculetin, resveratrol and lycopene-enriched tomato oleoresin (LTO) as chemopreventive agents against lung tumor induction in A/J mice by the tobacco ..
- Inositol and higher inositol phosphates in neural tissues: homeostasis, metabolism and functional significanceStephen K Fisher
Mental Health Research Institute, and Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurochem 82:736-54. 2002b>Inositol phospholipids and inositol phosphates mediate well-established functions in signal transduction and in Ca2+ homeostasis in the CNS and non-neural tissues...
- Mycothiol biosynthesis is essential for ethionamide susceptibility in Mycobacterium tuberculosisCatherine Vilcheze
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Mol Microbiol 69:1316-29. 2008..Mutations in mshA demonstrate the non-essentiality of mycothiol for growth in vitro and in vivo, and provide a novel mechanism of ethionamide resistance in M. tuberculosis...
- InCa-SiteFinder: a method for structure-based prediction of inositol and carbohydrate binding sites on proteinsMahesh Kulharia
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
J Mol Graph Model 28:297-303. 2009..In this paper we present a new method called InCa-SiteFinder for predicting non-covalent inositol and carbohydrate binding sites on the surface of protein structures...
- An autocrine insulin feedback loop maintains pancreatic beta-cell 3-phosphorylated inositol lipidsJia Yu
The Rolf Luft Research Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Endocrinol 21:2775-84. 2007..Fewer data are available on the 3-phosphorylated inositol lipids (3-PIs) that are the primary products of these kinases...
- Involvement of inositol in reproductionPatricia Beemster
Department of Epidemiology, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nutr Rev 60:80-7. 2002b>Inositol is involved in several aspects of reproduction. It affects overall embryogenesis, may prevent neural tube defects, and stimulates the production of lung surfactant...
- D-chiro-inositol--its functional role in insulin action and its deficit in insulin resistanceJoseph Larner
Department of Pharmacology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:47-60. 2002In this review we discuss the biological significance of D-chiro-inositol, originally discovered as a component of a putative mediator of intracellular insulin action, where as a putative mediator, it accelerates the dephosphorylation of ..
- Quantitative proton MRS of Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease: evidence of dys- and hypomyelinationF A Hanefeld
Abteilung Kinderheilkunde, , , Germany
Neurology 65:701-6. 2005..by increased concentrations of N-acetylaspartate and N-acetylaspartylglutamate (tNAA), glutamine (Gln), myo-inositol (Ins), and creatine and phosphocreatine...
- SMIT2 mediates all myo-inositol uptake in apical membranes of rat small intestineRym Aouameur
Groupe d étude des protéines membranaires GÉPROM, Departement de Physiologie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 3J7
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G1300-7. 2007This study presents the characterization of myo-inositol (MI) uptake in rat intestine as evaluated by use of purified membrane preparations...
- Double-blind, controlled, crossover trial of inositol versus fluvoxamine for the treatment of panic disorderA Palatnik
Ministry of Health Mental Health Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheba, Israel
J Clin Psychopharmacol 21:335-9. 2001..myo-Inositol, a natural isomer of glucose and a precursor for the second-messenger phosphatidyl-inositol system, has ..
- Decreased anterior cingulate myo-inositol/creatine spectroscopy resonance with lithium treatment in children with bipolar disorderP Davanzo
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90024, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 24:359-69. 2001..adolescents with bipolar disorder (BPD) and gender and age-matched normal controls, and to measure changes in myo-inositol levels following lithium therapy, utilizing in vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H MRS)...
- Hippocampal myo-inositol and cognitive ability in adults with Down syndrome: an in vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyFelix Beacher
Section of Brain Maturation, Department of Psychological Medicine, Neuroimaging Research Group, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, England, UK
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:1360-5. 2005..However, the biological determinants of this are poorly understood. The serum sodium/myo-inositol cotransporter gene is located on chromosome 21, and myo-inositol affects neuronal survival and function...
- Significance of subnuclear localization of key players of inositol lipid cycleLucio Cocco
Cellular Signaling Laboratory, Department of Anatomical Sciences, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, Bologna 40126, Italy
Adv Enzyme Regul 44:51-60. 2004
- Both myo-inositol to chiro-inositol epimerase activities and chiro-inositol to myo-inositol ratios are decreased in tissues of GK type 2 diabetic rats compared to Wistar controlsTie-Hua Sun
Insmed Incorporated, 4851 Lake Brooke Dr, Glen Allen, VA 23060, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:1092-8. 2002Previous data from our and other labs demonstrated a decreased chiro-inositol content in urine and tissues of human subjects and animals with type 2 diabetes...
- Glycogen synthase kinase-3 is required for optimal de novo synthesis of inositolAbed N Azab
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Mol Microbiol 63:1248-58. 2007Studies have shown that the inositol biosynthetic pathway and the enzyme glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) are targets of the mood-stabilizing drugs lithium and valproate...
- N-acetyl-aspartate, total creatine, and myo-inositol in the epileptogenic human hippocampusOgnen A C Petroff
Department of Neurology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8018, USA
Neurology 60:1646-51. 2003..Qualitative studies reported that N-acetyl-aspartate content was significantly lower in hippocampal sclerosis...
- Genetic modification of Bacillus subtilis for production of D-chiro-inositol, an investigational drug candidate for treatment of type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovary syndromeKen ichi Yoshida
Department of Biofunctional Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Kobe University, 1 1 Rokkodai, Kobe, Hyogo 657 8501, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:1310-5. 2006D-chiro-inositol (DCI) is a drug candidate for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovary syndrome, since it improves the efficiency with which the body uses insulin and also promotes ovulation...
- Inositol augmentation of lithium or valproate for bipolar depressionA Eden Evins
Harvard Bipolar Research Program and Department of Psychiatry of the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Bipolar Disord 8:168-74. 2006..Up to half of patients do not respond adequately to currently approved treatments. This study evaluated the efficacy of adjunctive inositol for bipolar depression.
- Cerebral proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in infantile Alexander diseaseKnut Brockmann
Dept of Paediatrics and Neuropaediatrics, Children s Hospital, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
J Neurol 250:300-6. 2003..Strongly elevated concentrations of myo-inositol in conjunction with normal or increased choline-containing compounds in all regions investigated point to ..
- Proton MRS profile of cerebral metabolic abnormalities in Krabbe diseaseK Brockmann
Department of Pediatrics and Neuropediatrics, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Neurology 60:819-25. 2003..The authors performed MRS to characterize metabolic alterations and their regional variation in brain tissue in GLD in vivo...
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) in obsessive-compulsive disorder before and after treatment with inositolP D Carey
MRC Research Unit for Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Metab Brain Dis 19:125-34. 2004b>Inositol, a glucose isomer and second messenger precursor, regulates numerous cellular functions and has demonstrated efficacy in obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) through mechanisms that remain unclear...
- myo-Inositol and sucrose concentrations affect the accumulation of raffinose family oligosaccharides in seedsUte Karner
Institute of Ecology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Exp Bot 55:1981-7. 2004..Galactinol synthase (GolS), which mediates the synthesis of galactinol from myo-inositol and UDP-galactose, has been proposed to be the key enzyme of the pathway...
- Effects of myo-inositol on the in-vitro maturation and subsequent development of mouse oocytesTony Tak Yu Chiu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Hum Reprod 18:408-16. 2003The study aim was to assess whether the incorporation of myo-inositol (MI) into culture medium could improve oocyte maturation in vitro.
- Myo-inositol-1-phosphate (MIP) synthase: a possible new target for antibipolar drugsGalila Agam
Stanley Foundation Research Center, Ministry of Health Mental Health Center, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben-Guron University of the Negev, Beersheva Israel
Bipolar Disord 4:15-20. 2002b>Inositol metabolism is well characterized in yeast at a molecular level, and yeast is the only eukaryote in which genetic, molecular and functional genomic approaches to identify lithium...
- PIG-W is critical for inositol acylation but not for flipping of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchorYoshiko Murakami
Department of Immunoregulation, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 14:4285-95. 2003..The inositol ring of phosphatidylinositol is acylated during biosynthesis of GPI...
- Lithium treatment effects on Myo-inositol in adolescents with bipolar depressionNick C Patel
Division of Bipolar Disorders Research, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0004, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:998-1004. 2006..This study used proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H MRS) to identify the in vivo effects of lithium on myo-inositol (mI) concentrations in adolescent bipolar depression.
- The pssB gene product of Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. trifolii is homologous to a family of inositol monophosphatasesM Janczarek
Department of General Microbiology, M Curie Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland
FEMS Microbiol Lett 173:319-25. 1999..A mutant strain was also defective in nitrogen fixation suggesting a regulatory role of pssB in symbiosis with clover...
- Ovulatory and metabolic effects of D-chiro-inositol in the polycystic ovary syndromeJ E Nestler
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0111, USA
N Engl J Med 340:1314-20. 1999..ovary syndrome have insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, possibly because of a deficiency of a D-chiro-inositol-containing phosphoglycan that mediates the action of insulin...
- Control of mRNA export and translation termination by inositol hexakisphosphate requires specific interaction with Gle1Abel R Alcázar-Román
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8240, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16683-92. 2010..At the cytoplasmic side of the NPC, the conserved mRNA export factors Gle1 and inositol hexakisphosphate (IP(6)) play an essential role in mRNA export by activating the ATPase activity of the DEAD-box ..
- Myo-inositol abolishes salicylic acid-dependent cell death and pathogen defence responses triggered by peroxisomal hydrogen peroxideSejir Chaouch
Institut de Biologie des Plantes, UMR8618 CNRS, Universite de Paris Sud, Orsay, France
New Phytol 188:711-8. 2010..Recent reports have implicated myo-inositol (MI) in defence responses, but the relationships between MI, ROS and SA remain to be elucidated...
- Identification of two scyllo-inositol dehydrogenases in Bacillus subtilisTetsuro Morinaga
Department of Agrobioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Kobe University, 1 1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657 8501, Japan
Microbiology 156:1538-46. 2010scyllo-Inositol (SI) is a stereoisomer of inositol whose catabolism has not been characterized in bacteria...
- PtdIns(3,4,5)P(3) and inositol depletion as a cellular target of mood stabilizersRegina Teo
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, Cardiff, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 37:1110-4. 2009..In the 1980s, Berridge and colleagues proposed that Li(+) treatment acts via inhibition of IMPase (inositol monophosphatase) to deplete the cellular concentration of myo-inositol...
- Myo-inositol treatment prevents biochemical changes triggered by kainate-induced status epilepticusRevaz Solomonia
Faculty of Life Sciences, I Chavchavadze State University, Georgia
Neurosci Lett 468:277-81. 2010..We have previously shown that myo-inositol (MI) administration reduces kainic acid (KA) induced seizure scores...
- Synthesis of scyllo-inositol derivatives and their effects on amyloid beta peptide aggregationYedi Sun
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, 80 St George Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5S 3H6
Bioorg Med Chem 16:7177-84. 2008scyllo-Inositol has shown promise as a potential therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease, by directly interacting with the amyloid beta (Abeta) peptide to inhibit Abeta42 fiber formation...
- Characterization of the null murine sodium/myo-inositol cotransporter 1 (Smit1 or Slc5a3) phenotype: myo-inositol rescue is independent of expression of its cognate mitochondrial ribosomal protein subunit 6 (Mrps6) gene and of phosphatidylinositol levels Roberto Buccafusca
Department of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Mol Genet Metab 95:81-95. 2008Ablation of the murine Slc5a3 gene results in severe myo-inositol (Ins) deficiency and congenital central apnea due to abnormal respiratory rhythmogenesis...
- Regional myo-inositol concentration in mild cognitive impairment Using 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopic imagingMałgorzata Siger
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Lodz, Kopcinskiego 22, 90 153 Lodz, Poland
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 23:57-62. 2009..Fourteen MCI, 17 AD, and 16 healthy control (HC) subjects were studied. MCI was associated with higher myo-inositol (mIn) concentration in right parietal white matter compared with HC and lower mIn levels in frontal white matter ..
- Computational modeling and in silico analysis of differential regulation of myo-inositol catabolic enzymes in Cryptococcus neoformansEmalee A Mackenzie
Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Long Beach, CA, USA
BMC Mol Biol 9:88. 2008b>Inositol is a key cellular metabolite for many organisms. Cryptococcus neoformans is an opportunistic pathogen which primarily infects the central nervous system, a region of high inositol concentration, of immunocompromised individuals...
- Genome-wide screen for inositol auxotrophy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae implicates lipid metabolism in stress response signalingManuel J Villa-García
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, 249 Biotechnology Building, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Mol Genet Genomics 285:125-49. 2011b>Inositol auxotrophy (Ino(-) phenotype) in budding yeast has classically been associated with misregulation of INO1 and other genes involved in lipid metabolism...
- Prefrontal myo-inositol concentration and visuospatial functioning among diabetic depressed patientsEbrahim Haroon
Semel Institute of Neurosciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Psychiatry Res 171:10-9. 2009..Myo-inositol (mI), a neuronal/glial metabolite associated with multiple functions in the brain, has been shown to be increased ..
- Strategies for acquiring the phospholipid metabolite inositol in pathogenic bacteria, fungi and protozoa: making it and taking itTodd B Reynolds
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Microbiology 155:1386-96. 2009myo-Inositol (inositol) is an essential nutrient that is used for building phosphatidylinositol and its derivatives in eukaryotes and even in some eubacteria such as the mycobacteria...
- Evaluation of expression and function of the H+/myo-inositol transporter HMITElena Di Daniel
Psychiatry Discovery Technology Group, GlaxoSmithKline, New Frontiers Science Park, Harlow, UK
BMC Cell Biol 10:54. 2009..been shown to inhibit key enzymes that regulate PIns production and alter neuronal growth cone morphology in an inositol-reversible manner...
- Contribution of myo-inositol to reproductionE Papaleo
Centro Natalità, Gynaecological Obstetric Department, San Raffaele Hospital, Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 147:120-3. 2009Myo-inositol is involved in several aspects of human reproduction. Elevated concentrations of myo-inositol in human follicular fluids appear to play a positive function in follicular maturity and provide a marker of good quality oocytes...
- Inositol prevents folate-resistant neural tube defects in the mouseN D Greene
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University of London, UK
Nat Med 3:60-6. 1997..Here, we show that a second vitamin, myo-inositol, is capable of significantly reducing the incidence of spinal NTDs in curly tail mice, a genetic model of folate-..
- Inositol supplementation in pregnancies at risk of apparently folate-resistant NTDsPietro Cavalli
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:540-2. 2008
- Homozygote inositol transporter knockout mice show a lithium-like phenotypeYuly Bersudsky
Stanley Research Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheva, Israel
Bipolar Disord 10:453-9. 2008Lithium inhibits inositol monophosphatase and also reduces inositol transporter function. To determine if one or more of these mechanisms might underlie the behavioral effects of lithium, we studied inositol transporter knockout mice...
- Structural and biophysical characterization of human myo-inositol oxygenaseAnn Gerd Thorsell
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Medical Nobel Institute, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Biol Chem 283:15209-16. 2008Altered inositol metabolism is implicated in a number of diabetic complications...
- Structural and mechanistic features of phospholipases C: effectors of inositol phospholipid-mediated signal transductionS R James
Department of Biochemistry, Medical Sciences Institute, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Cell Signal 9:329-36. 1997The production of the intracellular second messengers inositol (1,4,5)-trisphosphate (InsP3) and sn 1,2-diacylglycerol (DG) in response to a wide variety of extracellular primary messengers is achieved by an extended family of inositol ..
- Differential substrate specificity of two inositol transporters of Bacillus subtilisTetsuro Morinaga
Department of Agrobioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Kobe University, Kobe, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:1312-4. 2010Bacillus subtilis IolT is the major myo-inositol transporter for growth, while IolF is a minor one unable to support growth. We found that either IolT or IolF was sufficient for moderate growth using D-chiro-inositol...
- Detection of increased scyllo-inositol in brain with magnetic resonance spectroscopy after dietary supplementation in Alzheimer's disease mouse modelsJi Kyung Choi
A A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neuropharmacology 59:353-7. 2010There is evidence that inositol isomers may help protect against formation of toxic fibrils of Abeta fragments in Alzheimer's disease mouse models...
- Localized 1H-NMR spectroscopy in patients with fibromyalgia: a controlled study of changes in cerebral glutamate/glutamine, inositol, choline, and N-acetylaspartateNicolas Fayed
Department of Radiology, Hospital Quiron, Paseo de Mariano Renovales, Zaragoza, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R134. 2010..We also searched for correlations between neuroimaging abnormalities and neuropsychological variables...
- Effects of anti-7,8-dihydroxy-9,10-epoxy-7,8,9,10-tetrahydrobenzo[a]pyrene on human small airway epithelial cells and the protective effects of myo-inositolH Jyonouchi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, School of Medicine, UMHC, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Carcinogenesis 20:139-45. 1999..Tumorigenesis is inhibited by dietary myo-inositol in the post-initiation phase...
- A multicenter in vivo proton-MRS study of HIV-associated dementia and its relationship to ageL Chang
Department of Medicine, John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Neuroimage 23:1336-47. 2004..Aging may further exacerbate brain metabolites associated with inflammation in HIV patient and thereby increase the risk for cognitive impairment...
- TE-averaged two-dimensional proton spectroscopic imaging of glutamate at 3 TRadhika Srinivasan
Center for Molecular and Functional Imaging, University of California San Francisco, 185 Berry Street, Suite 350, San Francisco, CA 94107 1739, USA
Neuroimage 30:1171-8. 2006..an unambiguous measurement of glutamate as well as other metabolites such as NAA, choline, creatine, and myo-inositol. In this study, we extend the single voxel TE-Averaged PRESS technique for two-dimensional (2D) spectroscopic ..
- Metabolite changes in early relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. A two year follow-up studyM Tiberio
NMR Research Group, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK
J Neurol 253:224-30. 2006..Compared with other MR imaging measures, serial (1)H-MRSI may be relatively less sensitive to progressive pathological tissue changes in early RRMS...
- White matter proton MR spectroscopy in children with isolated developmental delay: does it mean delayed myelination?Nicolas Fayed
Magnetic Resonance Unit, Clinica Quiron, Avda de la Ilustración 12, C39, 50012 Zaragoza, Spain
Acad Radiol 13:229-35. 2006..The goal of our study is to determine whether magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) is able to detect alterations in the white matter supporting the hypothesis of delayed myelination in children with IDD and normal MRI...
- 1H-MRS alterations in the cerebellum of patients with familial hemiplegic migraine type 1M Dichgans
Department of Neurology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Neurology 64:608-13. 2005..Genetic studies have established an association with mutations in the CACNA1A gene. However, the mechanisms underlying cerebellar involvement are largely unknown...
- 1H Magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the internal capsule in human brain: a feasibility study to detect lactate following contralateral motor activityJop P Mostert
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 15:1349-52. 2005..We were unable to detect any significant MR spectral change, i.e. neither in the peak areas of inositol, choline, creatine, glutamate and N-acetylaspartate nor in the lactate level, in the contralateral posterior limb ..
- Short TE quantitative proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseR J Cordery
Dementia Research Group, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
Eur Radiol 16:1692-8. 2006..MRI was apparent in the pulvinar region in all vCJD patients; this region also showed greatly increased myo-inositol [MI] (mean 2.5-fold, P=0.01) and decreased N-acetyl-aspartate (NAA; mean 2-fold, P=0.01)...
- Propylene glycol is essential in the LCModel basis set for pediatric 1H-MRSWendy K Oakden
The Imaging Research Centre, Brain Body Institute, St. Joseph's Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Comput Assist Tomogr 29:136-9. 2005..We suggest including PG in the LCModel basis-set for neonatal brain H-MRS to improve the discrimination and quantification of lactate and inositol.
- Brain magnetic resonance spectroscopy in Tourette's disorderTimothy J DeVito
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 44:1301-8. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study suggest compromised neuronal integrity and deficits in density of neuronal and nonneuronal cells in components of the neural circuits implicated in Tourette's disorder...
- High-field localized 1H NMR spectroscopy in the anesthetized and in the awake monkeyJosef Pfeuffer
Department of Physiology of Cognitive Processes, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Magn Reson Imaging 22:1361-72. 2004..3 mM) such as glutamate (Glu), N-acetylaspartate (NAA), creatine (Cr)/phosphocreatine (PCr) and myo-inositol (Ins) were identified with an error below 3%; most other metabolites were quantified with errors in the order of ..
- In vivo quantitative 1H MRS of cerebellum and evaluation of quantitation reproducibility by simulation of different levels of noise and spectral resolutionMaria Antonietta Macrì
Enrico Fermi Center, 00185 Rome, Italy
Magn Reson Imaging 22:1385-93. 2004..Different noise and line broadening conditions were considered and simulated in the spectral processing in order to evaluate the effect of spectral quality on the concentration estimates...
- Conversion from mild cognitive impairment to probable Alzheimer's disease predicted by brain magnetic resonance spectroscopyPedro J Modrego
Neurology Unit, Hospital de Alcañiz, Spain
Am J Psychiatry 162:667-75. 2005....
- Observation of coupled 1H metabolite resonances at long TEBrian J Soher
Department of Radiology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Magn Reson Med 53:1283-7. 2005..The spectral analysis for spectra with longer TE times also showed less variability due the higher metabolite SNR, simpler spectral patterns, and the decreased baseline contributions...
- 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 3 T in cryptogenic and mesial temporal lobe epilepsyFranz Riederer
, , , A-1090 Vienna, Austria
NMR Biomed 19:544-53. 2006..to compare concentrations of N-acetylaspartate (NAA), glutamate (Glu), glutamine (Gln), Glx (=Glu + Gln), myo-inositol (mI), total creatine (Cre) and other metabolites in the temporal lobes of patients with mesial temporal lobe ..
- Anterior cingulate glutamate-glutamine levels predict symptom severity in women with obsessive-compulsive disorderMurat Yucel
Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre, National Neuroscience Facility, Carlton South, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 42:467-77. 2008..The purpose of the present study was to investigate how ACC biochemistry in OCD varies as a function of gender, hemisphere, subregion, and symptomatology...
- Long and short echo time proton magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging of the healthy aging brainDominick J O McIntyre
Basic Medical Sciences, St George s University of London, London, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:1596-606. 2007..To investigate the relationship between subject age and white matter brain metabolite concentrations and R(2) relaxation rates in a cross-sectional study of human brain...
- Axonal damage but no increased glial cell activity in the normal-appearing white matter of patients with clinically isolated syndromes suggestive of multiple sclerosis using high-field magnetic resonance spectroscopyM P Wattjes
Department of Radiology Neuroradiology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:1517-22. 2007..The purpose of this study was to investigate metabolic alterations in NAWM in patients with CIS with use of high-field (1)H-MR spectroscopy and to compare the results to those in patients with an early course of MS...
- [Subtle brain abnormalities in adrenomyeloneuropathy]C Teriitehau
Service de Radiologie H I A Percy, boulevard Henry Barbusse, 92 Clamart, France 16 rue des Réservoirs, 78000 Versailles, France
J Radiol 88:957-61. 2007..All patients underwent brain MR including T1W, T2W, FLAIR and spectroscopy. After a review had been validated by three different reviewers, review of MR images was performed by consensus using a semi-quantitative scale...
- Cerebral diffusion tensor imaging and in vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in patients with fulminant hepatic failureSona Saksena
Department of Radiodiagnosis, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:e111-9. 2008....
- Accelerated proton echo planar spectroscopic imaging (PEPSI) using GRAPPA with a 32-channel phased-array coilShang Yueh Tsai
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Magn Reson Med 59:989-98. 2008..1). Concentration values of N-acetyl-aspartate (NAA), total creatine (tCr), choline (Cho), myo-inositol (mI), and the sum of glutamate and glutamine (Glx) for both methods were consistent with previous studies...
- Short-TE localised 1H MRS of the human brain at 3 T: quantification of the metabolite signals using two approaches to account for macromolecular signal contributionsMichael Gottschalk
INSERM, U836, Grenoble, France
NMR Biomed 21:507-17. 2008..could be reliably quantified in parietal white matter under these experimental conditions: N-acetylaspartate, myo-inositol, glucose, glutamate, glutathione, creatine and choline...
- High field MR imaging and 1H-MR spectroscopy in clinically isolated syndromes suggestive of multiple sclerosis: correlation between metabolic alterations and diagnostic MR imaging criteriaMike P Wattjes
Dept of Radiology Neuroradiology, University of Bonn, Germany
J Neurol 255:56-63. 2008....
- Metabolic changes in the thalamus after spinal cord injury followed by proton MR spectroscopyKatarina Likavcanova
Institute of Experimental Medicine, ASCR, Prague, Czech Republic
Magn Reson Med 59:499-506. 2008..The data also showed an increase in inositol (Ins), glutamate, and creatine (Cr) concentrations on the third day postinjury; the Ins concentration remained ..
- 1H-magnetic resonance spectroscopy markers of cognitive and language ability in clinical subtypes of autism spectrum disordersLidia Gabis
Weinberg Child Development Center, Safra Children s Hospital, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Child Neurol 23:766-74. 2008..lower N-acetyl-aspartate/creatine ratios bilaterally in the hippocampus-amygdala but not cerebellum, whereas myo-inositol/creatine was significantly increased in all measured regions...
- MRI and MRS alterations in the preclinical phase of murine prion disease: association with neuropathological and behavioural changesKerry A Broom
Experimental Neuroimaging Group, Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Sherrington Building, Parks Rd, Oxford, OX1 3PT, UK
Neurobiol Dis 26:707-17. 2007..Increases in the glial metabolite myo-inositol were observed at later stages when microglial and astrocyte activation is substantial...
- Longitudinal changes during aging using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopyAmy J Ross
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:291-8. 2006..spectroscopy ((1)H-MRS) visible metabolites (N-acetyl aspartate [NAA], creatine [Cr], choline [Cho], and myo-Inositol [mI]) in brains of elderly individuals over 3 years and relate them to cognitive function...
- Neurochemical alterations of the brain in bipolar disorder and their implications for pathophysiology: a systematic review of the in vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy findingsAysegul Yildiz-Yesiloglu
Dokuz Eylul Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Izmir, Turkey
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:969-95. 2006..To perform systematic analysis of current proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy ((1)H MRS) findings in bipolar disorder (BD)...
- Review of 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy findings in major depressive disorder: a meta-analysisAysegul Yildiz-Yesiloglu
Dokuz Eylul Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Izmir, Turkey
Psychiatry Res 147:1-25. 2006..of major depressive disorder (MDD) that examined the metabolites N-acetylaspartate (NAA), choline (Cho), myo-inositol (mI), glutamate/glutamine/gamma-aminobutyric acid-GABA (Glx), and creatine (Cr)...
- Single voxel proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in post-stroke depressionLidia Glodzik-Sobanska
Center for Brain Health, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Psychiatry Res 148:111-20. 2006..performed to assess N-acetylaspartate/creatine (NAA)/Cr, glutamate+glutamine (Glx)/Cr, choline (Cho)/Cr and myo-inositol (mI)/Cr ratios. Patients were assessed within the first 10 days after stroke and again four months later...
- Measurement of brain metabolites in patients with type 2 diabetes and major depression using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopyOlusola Ajilore
Department of Psychiatry, UCLA Semel Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:1224-31. 2007..Absolute values of myo-inositol, creatine, N-acetyl aspartate, glutamate, glutamine, and choline corrected for CSF were measured using the LC-..
- Sensitivity-encoded (SENSE) proton echo-planar spectroscopic imaging (PEPSI) in the human brainFa Hsuan Lin
MGH HMS MIT Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Charlestown 02129, and Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Magn Reson Med 57:249-57. 2007..g., glutamate (Glu) and inositol (Ino)) with acceptable spectral quality and localization...
- Reduced cingulate glutamate/glutamine-to-creatine ratios in adult patients with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder -- a magnet resonance spectroscopy studyE Perlov
University Hospital of Freiburg, Department of Psychiatry, Hauptstrasse 5, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 41:934-41. 2007..In the present study, we wanted to test the hypothesis that prefrontal glutamate signals indirectly indicate dopaminergic dysfunction in adult patients with ADHD...
- Brain energy metabolism and neurotransmission at near-freezing temperatures: in vivo (1)H MRS study of a hibernating mammalPierre Gilles Henry
Department of Radiology, Center for Magnetic Resonance Research, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Neurochem 101:1505-15. 2007....
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy performance for detection of dementia, Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment in a community-based surveyJ M García Santos
Neuroradiology and Head and Neck Imaging Section, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Hospital General Universitario Morales Meseguer, Murcia, Spain
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 26:15-25. 2008..To evaluate (1)H-labelled magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) in patients with a low Mini Mental State Examination (MMSE) score identified during a dementia community-based survey...
- Metabolic markers of neuronal injury correlate with SIV CNS disease severity and inoculum in the macaque model of neuroAIDSMargaret R Lentz
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Neuroradiology, Boston, Massachusetts 02114 2696, USA
Magn Reson Med 59:475-84. 2008..In considering therapy for neuroAIDS the findings here support prevention of the encephalitic process, but suggest that suppressing the formation of multinucleated giant cells alone would be insufficient to prevent neuronal injury...
- Measurement of brain glutamate using TE-averaged PRESS at 3TRalph Hurd
GE Medical Systems, Menlo Park, California, USA
Magn Reson Med 51:435-40. 2004..A repeatibility error of <5%, and a coefficient of variation (CV) of <10% were observed for brain Glu levels in a study of six normal volunteers...
- Focal and lateralized subcortical abnormalities in unipolar major depressive disorder: an automated multivoxel proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyMeena Vythilingam
Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:744-50. 2003..METHODS: Whole brain and subcortical measures of Cho, NAA, Cr, and myo-inositol (mI) were obtained in 18 patients with MDD and 20 control subjects using automated two-dimensional CSI (1)H-MRS...
- Pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration: MR imaging, proton MR spectroscopy, and diffusion MR imaging findingsR Nuri Sener
Department of Radiology, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24:1690-3. 2003..08-1.12 x 10(-3) mm(2)/s), compared with the apparent diffusion coefficient values from the normal white matter regions. Apparent diffusion coefficient values in the globus pallidi were lower than those in the unaffected thalamus...
- Metabolic changes in the vicinity of brain contusions: a proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy and histology studyMartin Ulrich Schuhmann
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Neurotrauma 20:725-43. 2003..Changes of creatine and phosphocreatine (Cr&PCr), N-acetylaspartate (NAA), choline (Cho), inositol (Ino), taurine (Tau), glutamate (Glu), and lactate (Lac) were assessed and compared to neuronal, glial and ..
- Biogenesis of lipoarabinomannan in mycobacteriaMary Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2010..mannosyltransferase;MPI, mannosylated phosphatidylinositol;MS, mass spectrometry;myo-Ins, myo-inositol;ORF, open reading frame;investigator, phosphatidyl-myo-inositol;PIM, phosphatidyl-myo-inositol mannosides;TFA, ..
- Cyclohexanehexol Therapy in Transgenic Models of Alzheimer's DiseaseAlpaslan Dedeoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..We found that oral R-flurbiprofen is well tolerated and detectable in transgenic mouse brain. Scyllo-inositol, an isomer of cyclohexanahexol, inhibits A oligomers formation and, when orally administered to AD transgenicyc ..
- Cyclohexanehexol Therapy in Transgenic Models of Alzheimer's DiseaseAlpaslan Dedeoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..We found that oral R-flurbiprofen is well tolerated and detectable in transgenic mouse brain. Scyllo-inositol, an isomer of cyclohexanahexol, inhibits A oligomers formation and, when orally administered to AD transgenicyc ..
- REGULATION OF PHOSPHOLIPASE CT Harden; Fiscal Year: 2002..neurotransmitters, growth factors, and other stimuli produce their physiological effects by stimulation of inositol lipid breakdown...
- Molecular T. vaginalis-host interactions in relevance to inflammatory sequelaeRaina Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2009..LPG is a glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-like anchored molecule, which unlike other GPI-like parasitic molecules, contains no mannose and has poly-N-..
- Molecular T. vaginalis-host interactions in relevance to inflammatory sequelaeRaina N Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2010..LPG is a glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-like anchored molecule, which unlike other GPI-like parasitic molecules, contains no mannose and has poly-N-..
- ACTIVATION OF PI-SPECIFIC PHOSPHOLIPASE C ENZYMESMary Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2003..the cleavage of phosphoinositides to diacylglycerol (a second messenger activator of protein kinase C) and inositol phosphates...
- Structure-Function Analysis of Leishmania MITAndreas Seyfang; Fiscal Year: 2006..In these protozoan flagellates, myo-inositol plays an especially important role as the precursor for GPI-anchored protective and/or immunomodulatory surface ..
- REGULATION OF PHOSPHOLIPASE CJohn Sondek; Fiscal Year: 2007Many extracellular stimuli produce their physiological effects through promotion of inositol lipid hydrolysis...
- REGULATION OF PHOSPHOLIPASE CJohn Sondek; Fiscal Year: 2007Many extracellular stimuli produce their physiological effects through promotion of inositol lipid hydrolysis...
- Coupling of D-chiro-inositol to insulin in PCOS womenMARIA IUORNO; Fiscal Year: 2004..The cellular mechanisms of insulin resistance in PCOS are still largely unknown. D-chiro-inositol phosphoglycan (DCI-IPG) is a nonclassical mediator of insulin action that has been demonstrated to increase ..
- FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERIZATION OF LEISHMANIA TRANSPORTERScott Landfear; Fiscal Year: 2000..In this proposal we will study the role of three membrane transporters, those for glucose, myo-inositol and nucleosides, in the biology of Leishmania parasites...
- AFFINITY LABELS FOR INOSITOL POLYPHOSPHATE RECEPTORSGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 1999..The second messenger D-myo-inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate (Ins(1,4,5)P3, or IP3) binds stereospecifically to domains of membrane receptors to cause ..
- The Role of Inositol Signaling in Human DiseaseJohn York; Fiscal Year: 2005..is to elucidate how diverse extracellular stimuli elicit selective cellular responses through the activation of inositol polyphosphate (IP) signaling pathways...
- MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR COUPLING TO INOSITIDES IN CNSStephen Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..volume, cells release Kv, CI-, and "non-perturbing" organic osmolytes, a major component of which is myo-inositol. Efflux of the osmolytes occurs via a volume-sensitive organic anion channel (VSOAC), which primarily gates CI'...
- Structural study of enzymes of inositol biosynthesisBoguslaw Stec; Fiscal Year: 2002..More specifically, we are interested in enzymes involved in the synthesis of myo-inositol. Myo-inositol is generated by the conversion of D-glucose-6- in enzymes involved in the synthesis of myo-inositol ..
- INSULIN AND THE POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROMEJOHN NESTLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..by putative inositolphosphoglycan (IPG) mediators of insulin action and a deficiency in a specific D-chiro-inositol-containing IPG may contribute to insulin resistance in individuals with impaired glucose tolerance or type 2 ..
- ACTIVATION OF PI-SPECIFIC PHOSPHOLIPASE C ENZYMESMary Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2007..the cleavage of phosphoinositides to diacylglycerol (a second messenger activator of protein kinase C), and inositol phosphates (cyclic 1,2-inositol phosphate in the case of bacterial PI-PLC and both cIP and inositol-1-phosphate ..