Summary: An isomer of glucose that has traditionally been considered to be a B vitamin although it has an uncertain status as a vitamin and a deficiency syndrome has not been identified in man. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p1379) Inositol phospholipids are important in signal transduction.
Publications257 found, 100 shown here
- Myo-inositol and beyond--emerging networks under stressRavi Valluru
Ecophysiology of Plants Under Environmental Stress, INRA SUPAGRO, Institute of Integrative Plant Biology, 2 place Viala, Montpellier, France
Plant Sci 181:387-400. 2011Myo-inositol is a versatile compound that generates diversified derivatives upon phosphorylation by lipid-dependent and -independent pathways...
- Genetic localization and heterologous expression of validamycin biosynthetic gene cluster isolated from Streptomyces hygroscopicus var. limoneus KCCM 11405 (IFO 12704)Deepak Singh
Department of Biological Science, Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Myongji University, Yongin, 449 728, Republic of Korea
Gene 376:13-23. 2006..This promises excellent opportunities to elucidate biosynthetic route(s) to the validamycin complex and to engineer the pathway for industrial application...
- Two major inositol transporters and their role in cryptococcal virulenceYina Wang
Public Health Research Institute, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, ICPH Building, Room W250H, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Eukaryot Cell 10:618-28. 2011..The existence of high inositol concentrations in brain and our earlier discovery of a large inositol transporter (ITR) gene family in C...
- In Silico identification of pathogenic strains of Cronobacter from Biochemical data reveals association of inositol fermentation with pathogenicityStephen E Hamby
School of Science and Technology, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, NG11 8NS, UK
BMC Microbiol 11:204. 2011..Therefore to be able to differentiate between the pathogenic and non-pathogenic strains is of interest to the food industry and regulators...
- Inositol stereoisomers stabilize an oligomeric aggregate of Alzheimer amyloid beta peptide and inhibit abeta -induced toxicityJ McLaurin
Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3H2, Canada
J Biol Chem 275:18495-502. 2000b>Inositol has 8 stereoisomers, four of which are physiologically active. myo-Inositol is the most abundant isomer in the brain and more recently shown that epi- and scyllo-inositol are also present...
- Inositol- and folate-resistant neural tube defects in mice lacking the epithelial-specific factor Grhl-3Stephen B Ting
Rotary Bone Marrow Research Laboratories, c o Royal Melbourne Hospital Post Office, Grattan Street, Parkville, Victoria, Australia 3050
Nat Med 9:1513-9. 2003..Spina bifida in ct/ct mice is folate resistant, but its incidence can be markedly reduced by maternal inositol supplementation periconceptually...
- Alpha-synuclein-glucocerebrosidase interactions in pharmacological Gaucher models: a biological link between Gaucher disease and parkinsonismAmy B Manning-Bog
The Parkinson s Institute, 675 Almanor Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA
Neurotoxicology 30:1127-32. 2009....
- Inositol pyrophosphates inhibit Akt signaling, thereby regulating insulin sensitivity and weight gainAnutosh Chakraborty
The Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 143:897-910. 2010The inositol pyrophosphate IP7 (5-diphosphoinositolpentakisphosphate), formed by a family of three inositol hexakisphosphate kinases (IP6Ks), modulates diverse cellular activities...
- D-myo-inositol-3-phosphate affects phosphatidylinositol-mediated endomembrane function in Arabidopsis and is essential for auxin-regulated embryogenesisYu Luo
State Key Laboratory of Protein and Plant Gene Research, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, People s Republic of China
Plant Cell 23:1352-72. 2011In animal cells, myo-inositol is an important regulatory molecule in several physiological and biochemical processes, including signal transduction and membrane biogenesis...
- Inositol induces a profound alteration in the pattern and rate of synthesis and turnover of membrane lipids in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeMaria L Gaspar
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, NY 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 281:22773-85. 2006The addition of inositol to actively growing yeast cultures causes a rapid increase in the rate of synthesis of phosphatidylinositol and, simultaneously, triggers changes in the expression of hundreds of genes...
- IMPA1 is essential for embryonic development and lithium-like pilocarpine sensitivityKim Cryns
Research and Early Development Europe, Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Beerse, Belgium
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:674-84. 2008..Intriguingly, the embryonic lethality could be reversed by myo-inositol supplementation via the pregnant mothers...
- Normal glutamate but elevated myo-inositol in anterior cingulate cortex in recovered depressed patientsMatthew J Taylor
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Affect Disord 119:186-9. 2009..Frontal Glx levels appear to be normalised after recovery from depression, but it is not known if this composite measure masks ongoing differences in glutamate or glutamine alone...
- 1H-magnetic resonance spectroscopy markers of cognitive and language ability in clinical subtypes of autism spectrum disordersLidia Gabis
Weinberg Child Development Center, Safra Children s Hospital, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Child Neurol 23:766-74. 2008..lower N-acetyl-aspartate/creatine ratios bilaterally in the hippocampus-amygdala but not cerebellum, whereas myo-inositol/creatine was significantly increased in all measured regions...
- In vivo mapping of brain myo-inositolMohammad Haris
Center for Magnetic Resonance and Optical Imaging CMROI, Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6100, USA
Neuroimage 54:2079-85. 2011Myo-Inositol (MI) is one of the most abundant metabolites in the human brain located mainly in glial cells and functions as an osmolyte...
- Down-regulation of the myo-inositol oxygenase gene family has no effect on cell wall composition in ArabidopsisStefanie Endres
Department of Cell Biology, Plant Physiology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstr 34, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Planta 234:157-69. 2011The enzyme myo-inositol oxygenase (MIOX; E.C. 1.13.99...
- The antiepileptic drug valproic acid and other medium-chain fatty acids acutely reduce phosphoinositide levels independently of inositol in DictyosteliumPishan Chang
Centre for Biomedical Sciences, School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, TW20 0EX, UK
Dis Model Mech 5:115-24. 2012..and dose dependent, and that this effect occurs independently of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) activity, inositol recycling and inositol synthesis...
- Pseudoglycosyltransferase catalyzes nonglycosidic C-N coupling in validamycin a biosynthesisShumpei Asamizu
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 3507, USA
J Am Chem Soc 133:12124-35. 2011..The enzyme operates in sequence with a phosphatase, which dephosphorylates validoxylamine A 7'-phosphate to validoxylamine A...
- Membrane aberrancy and unfolded proteins activate the endoplasmic reticulum stress sensor Ire1 in different waysThanyarat Promlek
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 22:3520-32. 2011..In contrast, this mutant was activated like wild-type Ire1 by depletion of the membrane lipid component inositol or by deletion of genes involved in lipid homeostasis...
- Structure-function studies for the panacea, valproic acidNicole Terbach
Centre for Biomedical Sciences, School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 37:1126-32. 2009..This short review will describe potential therapeutic pathways targeted by VPA, and highlight studies showing structural constraints necessary for these effects...
- Molecular definition of a novel inositol polyphosphate metabolic pathway initiated by inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate 3-kinase activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAndrew M Seeds
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 280:27654-61. 2005The production of inositol polyphosphate (IPs) and pyrophosphates (PP-IPs) from inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate (I(1,4,5)P3) requires the 6-/3-/5-kinase activity of Ipk2 (also known as Arg82 and inositol polyphosphate multikinase)...
- Role of myo-inositol by magnetic resonance spectroscopy in early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in APP/PS1 transgenic miceShuang Qing Chen
Department of Radiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 28:558-66. 2009To explore the potential value of myo-inositol (mIns), which is regarded as a biomarker for early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, in APP/PS1 transgenic (tg) mice detected by (1)H-MRS.
- Regulation of phospholipid synthesis in yeastGeorge M Carman
Department of Food Science and Rutgers Center for Lipid Research, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Lipid Res 50:S69-73. 2009..Phosphatidic acid, whose levels are controlled by the biochemical regulation of key phospholipid synthesis enzymes, plays a central role in the regulation of phospholipid synthesis gene expression...
- Myoinositol oxygenase controls the level of myoinositol in Arabidopsis, but does not increase ascorbic acidStefanie Endres
University of Salzburg, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Plant Physiol 149:1042-9. 2009..We conclude that D-GlcUA derived from the Miox reaction plays a negligible role for AsA biosynthesis. However, Miox controls the metabolite level of myoinositol in plants...
- Myo-inositol may improve oocyte quality in intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. A prospective, controlled, randomized trialEnrico Papaleo
IVF Unit, Gynecologic Obstetric Department, Istituto di Ricovera e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, San Raffaele Hospital, Vita Salute University, Milan, Italy
Fertil Steril 91:1750-4. 2009To determine the effects of myo-inositol on oocyte quality in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) patients undergoing intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) cycles.
- Elevated white matter myo-inositol in clinically isolated syndromes suggestive of multiple sclerosisK T M Fernando
Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Brain 127:1361-9. 2004..total creatine and phosphocreatine (Cr), choline-containing compounds, glutamate plus glutamine, and myo-inositol (Ins) were estimated automatically using the LCModel...
- The biosynthesis of acarbose and validamycinT Mahmud
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195-1700, USA
Chem Rec 1:300-10. 2001..The stage is now set for unraveling the mechanism or mechanisms by which the two components of the pseudodisaccharide moieties of acarbose and validamycin are uniquely coupled to each other via a nitrogen bridge...
- A defective ABC transporter of the MRP family, responsible for the bean lpa1 mutation, affects the regulation of the phytic acid pathway, reduces seed myo-inositol and alters ABA sensitivityDario Panzeri
Istituto di Biologia e Biotecnologia Agraria, CNR, Milano, Italy
New Phytol 191:70-83. 2011..expression level of several genes of the InsP(6) pathway are reduced in the lpa1(280-10) mutant as well as the inositol and raffinosaccharide content. PvMrp2, a very similar paralogue of PvMrp1 was also mapped and sequenced...
- Scyllo-inositol in normal aging human brain: 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy study at 4 TeslaLana G Kaiser
Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, MR Unit VA Medical Center at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94141, USA
NMR Biomed 18:51-5. 2005The scyllo-inositol and myo-inositol concentrations of 24 normal human subjects were measured in vivo using 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 4 T...
- Maturation of limbic regions in Asperger syndrome: a preliminary study using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy and structural magnetic resonance imagingFinian M O'Brien
Department of Psychological Medicine, Kings College London, UK
Psychiatry Res 184:77-85. 2010..1)H-MRS) to measure concentrations of N-acetyl aspartate (NAA), creatine+phosphocreatine (Cr+PCr), myo-inositol (mI) and choline (Cho)...
- Crystal structure of the phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C from Bacillus cereus in complex with myo-inositolD W Heinz
Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Universitat Freiburg, Germany
EMBO J 14:3855-63. 1995..site of the enzyme has been identified by determining the structure of PI-PLC in complex with its inhibitor, myo-inositol, at 2.6 A resolution (R factor = 19.5%)...
- Yeast Gaa1p is required for attachment of a completed GPI anchor onto proteinsD Hamburger
Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Switzerland
J Cell Biol 129:629-39. 1995..Therefore, Gaa1p is required for a terminal step of GPI anchor attachment and could be part of the putative GPI:protein transamidase...
- How do inositol and glucose modulate feeding in Manduca sexta caterpillars?J I Glendinning
Department of Biological Science, Barnard College, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
J Exp Biol 203:1299-315. 2000Many species of caterpillar possess taste cells that respond exceptionally vigorously to the sugar alcohol myo-inositol. We examined the functional significance of these inositol-sensitive taste cells in Manduca sexta caterpillars through ..
- ValC, a new type of C7-Cyclitol kinase involved in the biosynthesis of the antifungal agent validamycin AKazuyuki Minagawa
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331 3507, USA
Chembiochem 8:632-41. 2007..The results provide new insights into the activity of this enzyme and also confirm the existence of two different pathways leading to the same end-product: the valienamine moiety common to acarbose and validamycin A...
- Biosynthesis of the C(7)-cyclitol moiety of acarbose in Actinoplanes species SE50/110. 7-O-phosphorylation of the initial cyclitol precursor leads to proposal of a new biosynthetic pathwayChang Sheng Zhang
Institute of Chemical Microbiology Bergische University, Gauss Strasse 20, D 42097 Wuppertal, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:22853-62. 2002..A biosynthetic pathway for the pseudodisaccharidic acarviosyl moiety of acarbose is proposed on the basis of these data...
- Untreated glioblastoma multiforme: increased myo-inositol and glutamine levels in the contralateral cerebral hemisphere at proton MR spectroscopyKai Kallenberg
MR Research in Neurology and Psychiatry, Department of Neuroradiology, Universitymedicine, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37099 Gottingen, Germany
Radiology 253:805-12. 2009....
- Brief report: biochemical correlates of clinical impairment in high functioning autism and Asperger's disorderNatalia M Kleinhans
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Box 357115, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 39:1079-86. 2009..This suggests that altered metabolite levels in the amygdala may be associated with a more severe early developmental course in ASD...
- Alternative epimerization in C(7)N-aminocyclitol biosynthesis is catalyzed by ValD, a large protein of the vicinal oxygen chelate superfamilyHui Xu
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Chem Biol 16:567-76. 2009..Our data have established ValD as one of the largest proteins of the VOC superfamily, catalyzing an alternative epimerization for C(7)N-aminocyclitol biosynthesis...
- Gene cluster responsible for validamycin biosynthesis in Streptomyces hygroscopicus subsp. jinggangensis 5008Yi Yu
Bio X Life Science Research Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200030, China
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:5066-76. 2005..coli. The information obtained should pave the way for further detailed analysis of the complete biosynthetic pathway, which would lead to a complete understanding of validamycin biosynthesis...
- Identification of a species-specific inhibitor of glycosylphosphatidylinositol synthesisC Sutterlin
Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Switzerland
EMBO J 16:6374-83. 1997..Consistent with the block in GPI synthesis, YW3548 prevents the incorporation of [3H]myo-inositol into proteins, transport of GPI-anchored proteins to the Golgi and is toxic...
- The cellular language of myo-inositol signalingGlenda E Gillaspy
Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
New Phytol 192:823-39. 2011The simple polyol, myo-inositol, is used as a building block of a cellular language that plays various roles in signal transduction...
- Genome-wide screen for inositol auxotrophy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae implicates lipid metabolism in stress response signalingManuel J Villa-García
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, 249 Biotechnology Building, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Mol Genet Genomics 285:125-49. 2011b>Inositol auxotrophy (Ino(-) phenotype) in budding yeast has classically been associated with misregulation of INO1 and other genes involved in lipid metabolism...
- A novel salt-tolerant L-myo-inositol-1-phosphate synthase from Porteresia coarctata (Roxb.) Tateoka, a halophytic wild rice: molecular cloning, bacterial overexpression, characterization, and functional introgression into tobacco-conferring salt toleranceManoj Majee
Plant Molecular and Cellular Genetics, Bose Institute Centenary Building, P 1 12, CIT Scheme VII M, Kolkata 700054, India
J Biol Chem 279:28539-52. 2004l-myo-Inositol-1-phosphate synthase (EC 22.214.171.124, MIPS), an evolutionarily conserved enzyme protein, catalyzes the synthesis of inositol, which is implicated in a number of metabolic reactions in the biological kingdom...
- High-frequency rTMS treatment increases left prefrontal myo-inositol in young patients with treatment-resistant depressionHuirong Zheng
Mental Health Institute, The Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha 410011, Hunan, China
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 34:1189-95. 2010..In this study metabolic changes within PFC of severely depressed patients before and after rTMS were evaluated by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H-MRS)...
- The C7N aminocyclitol family of natural productsTaifo Mahmud
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1700, USA
Nat Prod Rep 20:137-66. 2003..The literature from 1970 to July 2002 is reviewed, with 269 references cited...
- Functional analysis of the validamycin biosynthetic gene cluster and engineered production of validoxylamine ALinquan Bai
Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism and School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200030, China
Chem Biol 13:387-97. 2006..The role of valG in the glycosylation of validoxylamine to VAL-A was demonstrated in vitro by enzymatic assay...
- Enhanced salt tolerance of transgenic tobacco plants by co-expression of PcINO1 and McIMT1 is accompanied by increased level of myo-inositol and methylated inositolBarunava Patra
Plant Molecular and Cellular Genetics, Bose Institute Centenary Building, P1 12, C I T Scheme VIIM, Kolkata, 700054, India
Protoplasma 245:143-52. 2010Introgression and functional expression of either the PcINO1 (L: -myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase or MIPS coding gene from the wild halophytic rice, Porteresia coarctata) or McIMTI (inositol methyl transferase, IMTI coding gene from ..
- Inositol and higher inositol phosphates in neural tissues: homeostasis, metabolism and functional significanceStephen K Fisher
Mental Health Research Institute, and Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurochem 82:736-54. 2002b>Inositol phospholipids and inositol phosphates mediate well-established functions in signal transduction and in Ca2+ homeostasis in the CNS and non-neural tissues...
- Structural and functional analysis of validoxylamine A 7'-phosphate synthase ValL involved in validamycin A biosynthesisLina Zheng
Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei, China
PLoS ONE 7:e32033. 2012..Furthermore, the modeling of V7P in the active site of ValL suggests that ValL might have a similar SNi-like mechanism as OtsA...
- Transcription regulation of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae PIS1 gene by inositol and the pleiotropic regulator, Ume6pNiketa M Jani
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Mol Microbiol 70:1529-39. 2008..g. INO1, CHO1, CHO2 and OPI3) is repressed by growth in the presence of inositol and choline and derepressed in their absence...
- Strategies for acquiring the phospholipid metabolite inositol in pathogenic bacteria, fungi and protozoa: making it and taking itTodd B Reynolds
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Microbiology 155:1386-96. 2009myo-Inositol (inositol) is an essential nutrient that is used for building phosphatidylinositol and its derivatives in eukaryotes and even in some eubacteria such as the mycobacteria...
- Gray and white matter brain chemistry in young children with autismSeth D Friedman
Department of Radiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105 6099, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:786-94. 2006..The brain pathophysiological abnormalities underlying autism remain unclear. Neuroimaging and histological studies suggest cellular abnormalities early in the course of the disease...
- Comparisons of [18F]-1-deoxy-1-fluoro-scyllo-inositol with [18F]-FDG for PET imaging of inflammation, breast and brain cancer xenografts in athymic miceKristin McLarty
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1R8
Nucl Med Biol 38:953-9. 2011The aim of the study was to evaluate the uptake of [(18)F]-1-deoxy-1-fluoro-scyllo-inositol ([(18)F]-scyllo-inositol) in human breast cancer (BC) and glioma xenografts, as well as in inflammatory tissue, in immunocompromised mice...
- Effect of treating streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with sorbinil, myo-inositol or aminoguanidine on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity and vascular function of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerveLawrence J Coppey
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52246, USA
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:21-36. 2002..Treatment of diabetic rats with aldose reductase inhibitors, aminoguanidine or myo-inositol supplementation have been shown to improve motor nerve conduction velocity and/or decreased endoneurial blood ..
- Determination of transport stoichiometry for two cation-coupled myo-inositol cotransporters: SMIT2 and HMITFrancis Bourgeois
Groupe d étude des protéines membranaires GÉPROM, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
J Physiol 563:333-43. 2005Three different mammalian myo-inositol cotransporters are currently known; two are Na+-coupled (SMIT1 and SMIT2) and one is proton-coupled (HMIT)...
- D-chiro-inositol-enriched tartary buckwheat bran extract lowers the blood glucose level in KK-Ay miceYang Yao
Institute of Crop Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, No 80 South Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing, People s Republic of China 100081
J Agric Food Chem 56:10027-31. 2008D-chiro-inositol (DCI) is an active compound in tartary buckwheat [Fagopyrum tataricum (L.) Gaench] with an insulin-like bioactivity...
- The Arabidopsis thaliana Myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase1 gene is required for Myo-inositol synthesis and suppression of cell deathJanet L Donahue
Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Plant Cell 22:888-903. 2010l-myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase (MIPS; EC 126.96.36.199) catalyzes the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of myo-inositol, a critical compound in the cell. Plants contain multiple MIPS genes, which encode highly similar enzymes...
- Inositol monophosphate phosphatase genes of Mycobacterium tuberculosisFarahnaz Movahedzadeh
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, London NW1 0TU, UK
BMC Microbiol 10:50. 2010Mycobacteria use inositol in phosphatidylinositol, for anchoring lipoarabinomannan (LAM), lipomannan (LM) and phosphatidylinosotol mannosides (PIMs) in the cell envelope, and for the production of mycothiol, which maintains the redox ..
- Crosstalks between myo-inositol metabolism, programmed cell death and basal immunity in ArabidopsisPing Hong Meng
Institut de Biotechnologie des Plantes, UMR CNRS 8618, Universite Paris Sud XI, Bat 630, Plateau de Moulon, Orsay, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7364. 2009..yeast two-hybrid screen using ATXR5 as bait captured AtIPS1, an enzyme which catalyses the committed step of myo-inositol (MI) biosynthesis...
- Small molecule beta-amyloid inhibitors that stabilize protofibrillar structures in vitro improve cognition and pathology in a mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseCheryl A Hawkes
Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 31:203-13. 2010..We have previously reported that scyllo-inositol inhibits Abeta(42) fibril formation but the mechanism(s) by which this occurs has not been investigated in detail...
- Genetic control of lithium sensitivity and regulation of inositol biosynthetic genesJason King
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
PLoS ONE 5:e11151. 2010..Further studies demonstrated that PO is a negative regulator of inositol(1,4,5)trisphosphate (IP(3)) synthesis, a Li(+) sensitive intracellular signal...
- Evaluation of butylated hydroxyanisole, myo-inositol, curcumin, esculetin, resveratrol and lycopene as inhibitors of benzo[a]pyrene plus 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone-induced lung tumorigenesis in A/J miceS S Hecht
University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Cancer Lett 137:123-30. 1999The potential activities of butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), myo-inositol, curcumin, esculetin, resveratrol and lycopene-enriched tomato oleoresin (LTO) as chemopreventive agents against lung tumor induction in A/J mice by the tobacco ..
- Human sodium/inositol cotransporter 2 (SMIT2) transports inositols but not glucose in L6 cellsXiaobo Lin
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue Box 8127, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 481:197-201. 2009To characterize the function of the sodium/inositol symporter SMIT2 in skeletal muscle, human SMIT2 cDNA was transfected into L6 myoblasts using pcDNA3.1 expression vector. Compared with the pcDNA3...
- Targeted metabolomic analyses of cellular models of pelizaeus-merzbacher disease reveal plasmalogen and myo-inositol solute carrier dysfunctionPaul L Wood
Phenomenome Discoveries Inc, 204 407 Downey Road, Saskatoon, SK S7N4L8, Canada
Lipids Health Dis 10:102. 2011..Further targeted metabolomics analyses were conducted to obtain a preliminary evaluation of the metabolic consequences of lipid changes and gene mutations in these cell models...
- Measurement of brain glutamate using TE-averaged PRESS at 3TRalph Hurd
GE Medical Systems, Menlo Park, California, USA
Magn Reson Med 51:435-40. 2004..A repeatibility error of <5%, and a coefficient of variation (CV) of <10% were observed for brain Glu levels in a study of six normal volunteers...
- Inositol prevents folate-resistant neural tube defects in the mouseN D Greene
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University of London, UK
Nat Med 3:60-6. 1997..Here, we show that a second vitamin, myo-inositol, is capable of significantly reducing the incidence of spinal NTDs in curly tail mice, a genetic model of folate-..
- Small molecule enhancers of autophagy for neurodegenerative diseasesSovan Sarkar
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, UK
Mol Biosyst 4:895-901. 2008..We will discuss various autophagy-inducing small molecules that have emerged in the past few years that may be leads towards the treatment of such devastating diseases...
- IRE1 encodes a putative protein kinase containing a membrane-spanning domain and is required for inositol phototrophy in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ Nikawa
Department of Biochemistry, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Mol Microbiol 6:1441-6. 1992..Disruption of the IRE1 locus caused myo-inositol auxotrophy. The IRE1 product is very likely a protein kinase required for myo-inositol synthesis.
- Regulation of gene expression by lithium and depletion of inositol in slices of adult rat cortexPhilip E Brandish
Merck and Co, Inc, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
Neuron 45:861-72. 2005Lithium inhibits inositol monophosphatase at therapeutically effective concentrations, and it has been hypothesized that depletion of brain inositol levels is an important chemical alteration for lithium's therapeutic efficacy in bipolar ..
- Candida albicans uses multiple mechanisms to acquire the essential metabolite inositol during infectionYing Lien Chen
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Infect Immun 76:2793-801. 2008..In order to cause infections, C. albicans must be able to synthesize the essential metabolite inositol or acquire it from the host. Based on the similarity of C...
- Cloning and sequence of the SCS2 gene, which can suppress the defect of INO1 expression in an inositol auxotrophic mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ Nikawa
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Science, Faculty of Computer Science and Systems Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Fukuoka
J Biochem 118:39-45. 1995Saccharomyces cerevisiae ire15 mutant has a defect in the expression of INO1, showing the inositol auxotrophic phenotype [Nikawa, J. (1994) Gene 149, 367-372]...
- Evidence of elevated glutamate in multiple sclerosis using magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 3 TRadhika Srinivasan
Center for Molecular and Functional Imaging, Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, 185 Berry Street, 350, San Francisco, CA 94107 1739, USA
Brain 128:1016-25. 2005..Metabolite concentrations (glutamate, glutamine, N-acetyl-aspartate, myo-inositol, choline, creatine) were derived from LCmodel and corrected for T1 relaxation time...
- Myoinositol content in the human brain is modified by transcranial direct current stimulation in a matter of minutes: a 1H-MRS studyM Rango
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Milan, Fondazione Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Magn Reson Med 60:782-9. 2008..1)H-MRS represents a powerful tool to follow the regional effects of tDCS on brain mI and, possibly, on the related phosphoinositide system...
- Knockout mice in understanding the mechanism of action of lithiumGalila Agam
Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Biochem Soc Trans 37:1121-5. 2009Lithium inhibits IMPase (inositol monophosphatase) activity, as well as inositol transporter function...
- InCa-SiteFinder: a method for structure-based prediction of inositol and carbohydrate binding sites on proteinsMahesh Kulharia
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
J Mol Graph Model 28:297-303. 2009..In this paper we present a new method called InCa-SiteFinder for predicting non-covalent inositol and carbohydrate binding sites on the surface of protein structures...
- Mycothiol biosynthesis is essential for ethionamide susceptibility in Mycobacterium tuberculosisCatherine Vilcheze
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Mol Microbiol 69:1316-29. 2008..Mutations in mshA demonstrate the non-essentiality of mycothiol for growth in vitro and in vivo, and provide a novel mechanism of ethionamide resistance in M. tuberculosis...
- An autocrine insulin feedback loop maintains pancreatic beta-cell 3-phosphorylated inositol lipidsJia Yu
The Rolf Luft Research Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Endocrinol 21:2775-84. 2007..Fewer data are available on the 3-phosphorylated inositol lipids (3-PIs) that are the primary products of these kinases...
- Inositol augmentation of lithium or valproate for bipolar depressionA Eden Evins
Harvard Bipolar Research Program and Department of Psychiatry of the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Bipolar Disord 8:168-74. 2006..Up to half of patients do not respond adequately to currently approved treatments. This study evaluated the efficacy of adjunctive inositol for bipolar depression.
- Homozygote inositol transporter knockout mice show a lithium-like phenotypeYuly Bersudsky
Stanley Research Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheva, Israel
Bipolar Disord 10:453-9. 2008Lithium inhibits inositol monophosphatase and also reduces inositol transporter function. To determine if one or more of these mechanisms might underlie the behavioral effects of lithium, we studied inositol transporter knockout mice...
- Inositol supplementation in pregnancies at risk of apparently folate-resistant NTDsPietro Cavalli
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:540-2. 2008
- Glycogen synthase kinase-3 is required for optimal de novo synthesis of inositolAbed N Azab
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Mol Microbiol 63:1248-58. 2007Studies have shown that the inositol biosynthetic pathway and the enzyme glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) are targets of the mood-stabilizing drugs lithium and valproate...
- Structural and biophysical characterization of human myo-inositol oxygenaseAnn Gerd Thorsell
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Medical Nobel Institute, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Biol Chem 283:15209-16. 2008Altered inositol metabolism is implicated in a number of diabetic complications...
- Significance of subnuclear localization of key players of inositol lipid cycleLucio Cocco
Cellular Signaling Laboratory, Department of Anatomical Sciences, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, Bologna 40126, Italy
Adv Enzyme Regul 44:51-60. 2004
- Quantitative proton MRS of Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease: evidence of dys- and hypomyelinationF A Hanefeld
Abteilung Kinderheilkunde, Schwerpunkt Neuropadiatrie, Gottingen, Germany
Neurology 65:701-6. 2005..MRI reveals loss of T1 contrast between gray and affected white matter and T2 hyperintensities of white matter due to elevated water content...
- Genetic modification of Bacillus subtilis for production of D-chiro-inositol, an investigational drug candidate for treatment of type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovary syndromeKen ichi Yoshida
Department of Biofunctional Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Kobe University, 1 1 Rokkodai, Kobe, Hyogo 657 8501, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:1310-5. 2006D-chiro-inositol (DCI) is a drug candidate for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovary syndrome, since it improves the efficiency with which the body uses insulin and also promotes ovulation...
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) in obsessive-compulsive disorder before and after treatment with inositolP D Carey
MRC Research Unit for Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Metab Brain Dis 19:125-34. 2004b>Inositol, a glucose isomer and second messenger precursor, regulates numerous cellular functions and has demonstrated efficacy in obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) through mechanisms that remain unclear...
- myo-Inositol and sucrose concentrations affect the accumulation of raffinose family oligosaccharides in seedsUte Karner
Institute of Ecology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Exp Bot 55:1981-7. 2004..Galactinol synthase (GolS), which mediates the synthesis of galactinol from myo-inositol and UDP-galactose, has been proposed to be the key enzyme of the pathway...
- Lithium treatment effects on Myo-inositol in adolescents with bipolar depressionNick C Patel
Division of Bipolar Disorders Research, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0004, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:998-1004. 2006..This study used proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H MRS) to identify the in vivo effects of lithium on myo-inositol (mI) concentrations in adolescent bipolar depression.
- Hippocampal myo-inositol and cognitive ability in adults with Down syndrome: an in vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyFelix Beacher
Section of Brain Maturation, Department of Psychological Medicine, Neuroimaging Research Group, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, England, UK
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:1360-5. 2005..However, the biological determinants of this are poorly understood. The serum sodium/myo-inositol cotransporter gene is located on chromosome 21, and myo-inositol affects neuronal survival and function...
- SMIT2 mediates all myo-inositol uptake in apical membranes of rat small intestineRym Aouameur
Groupe d étude des protéines membranaires GÉPROM, Departement de Physiologie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 3J7
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G1300-7. 2007This study presents the characterization of myo-inositol (MI) uptake in rat intestine as evaluated by use of purified membrane preparations...
- PIG-W is critical for inositol acylation but not for flipping of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchorYoshiko Murakami
Department of Immunoregulation, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 14:4285-95. 2003..The inositol ring of phosphatidylinositol is acylated during biosynthesis of GPI...
- Localized 1H-NMR spectroscopy in patients with fibromyalgia: a controlled study of changes in cerebral glutamate/glutamine, inositol, choline, and N-acetylaspartateNicolas Fayed
Department of Radiology, Hospital Quiron, Paseo de Mariano Renovales, Zaragoza, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R134. 2010..We also searched for correlations between neuroimaging abnormalities and neuropsychological variables...
- Involvement of inositol in reproductionPatricia Beemster
Department of Epidemiology, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nutr Rev 60:80-7. 2002b>Inositol is involved in several aspects of reproduction. It affects overall embryogenesis, may prevent neural tube defects, and stimulates the production of lung surfactant...
- Prefrontal myo-inositol concentration and visuospatial functioning among diabetic depressed patientsEbrahim Haroon
Semel Institute of Neurosciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Psychiatry Res 171:10-9. 2009..Myo-inositol (mI), a neuronal/glial metabolite associated with multiple functions in the brain, has been shown to be increased ..
- D-chiro-inositol--its functional role in insulin action and its deficit in insulin resistanceJoseph Larner
Department of Pharmacology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:47-60. 2002In this review we discuss the biological significance of D-chiro-inositol, originally discovered as a component of a putative mediator of intracellular insulin action, where as a putative mediator, it accelerates the dephosphorylation of ..
- Control of mRNA export and translation termination by inositol hexakisphosphate requires specific interaction with Gle1Abel R Alcázar-Román
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8240, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16683-92. 2010..At the cytoplasmic side of the NPC, the conserved mRNA export factors Gle1 and inositol hexakisphosphate (IP(6)) play an essential role in mRNA export by activating the ATPase activity of the DEAD-box ..
- Double-blind, controlled, crossover trial of inositol versus fluvoxamine for the treatment of panic disorderA Palatnik
Ministry of Health Mental Health Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheba, Israel
J Clin Psychopharmacol 21:335-9. 2001..myo-Inositol, a natural isomer of glucose and a precursor for the second-messenger phosphatidyl-inositol system, has ..
- Evaluation of expression and function of the H+/myo-inositol transporter HMITElena Di Daniel
Psychiatry Discovery Technology Group, GlaxoSmithKline, New Frontiers Science Park, Harlow, UK
BMC Cell Biol 10:54. 2009..been shown to inhibit key enzymes that regulate PIns production and alter neuronal growth cone morphology in an inositol-reversible manner...
- PtdIns(3,4,5)P(3) and inositol depletion as a cellular target of mood stabilizersRegina Teo
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, Cardiff, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 37:1110-4. 2009..In the 1980s, Berridge and colleagues proposed that Li(+) treatment acts via inhibition of IMPase (inositol monophosphatase) to deplete the cellular concentration of myo-inositol...
- The pssB gene product of Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. trifolii is homologous to a family of inositol monophosphatasesM Janczarek
Department of General Microbiology, M Curie Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland
FEMS Microbiol Lett 173:319-25. 1999..A mutant strain was also defective in nitrogen fixation suggesting a regulatory role of pssB in symbiosis with clover...
- Ovulatory and metabolic effects of D-chiro-inositol in the polycystic ovary syndromeJ E Nestler
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0111, USA
N Engl J Med 340:1314-20. 1999..ovary syndrome have insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, possibly because of a deficiency of a D-chiro-inositol-containing phosphoglycan that mediates the action of insulin...
- Effects of anti-7,8-dihydroxy-9,10-epoxy-7,8,9,10-tetrahydrobenzo[a]pyrene on human small airway epithelial cells and the protective effects of myo-inositolH Jyonouchi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, School of Medicine, UMHC, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Carcinogenesis 20:139-45. 1999..Tumorigenesis is inhibited by dietary myo-inositol in the post-initiation phase...
- Biogenesis of lipoarabinomannan in mycobacteriaMary Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2010..mannosyltransferase;MPI, mannosylated phosphatidylinositol;MS, mass spectrometry;myo-Ins, myo-inositol;ORF, open reading frame;investigator, phosphatidyl-myo-inositol;PIM, phosphatidyl-myo-inositol mannosides;TFA, ..
- Cyclohexanehexol Therapy in Transgenic Models of Alzheimer's DiseaseAlpaslan Dedeoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..We found that oral R-flurbiprofen is well tolerated and detectable in transgenic mouse brain. Scyllo-inositol, an isomer of cyclohexanahexol, inhibits A oligomers formation and, when orally administered to AD transgenicyc ..
- Cyclohexanehexol Therapy in Transgenic Models of Alzheimer's DiseaseAlpaslan Dedeoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..We found that oral R-flurbiprofen is well tolerated and detectable in transgenic mouse brain. Scyllo-inositol, an isomer of cyclohexanahexol, inhibits A oligomers formation and, when orally administered to AD transgenicyc ..
- Molecular T. vaginalis-host interactions in relevance to inflammatory sequelaeRaina N Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2010..LPG is a glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-like anchored molecule, which unlike other GPI-like parasitic molecules, contains no mannose and has poly-N-..
- Molecular T. vaginalis-host interactions in relevance to inflammatory sequelaeRaina Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2009..LPG is a glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-like anchored molecule, which unlike other GPI-like parasitic molecules, contains no mannose and has poly-N-..
- REGULATION OF PHOSPHOLIPASE CT Harden; Fiscal Year: 2002..neurotransmitters, growth factors, and other stimuli produce their physiological effects by stimulation of inositol lipid breakdown...
- ACTIVATION OF PI-SPECIFIC PHOSPHOLIPASE C ENZYMESMary Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2003..the cleavage of phosphoinositides to diacylglycerol (a second messenger activator of protein kinase C) and inositol phosphates...
- Structure-Function Analysis of Leishmania MITAndreas Seyfang; Fiscal Year: 2006..In these protozoan flagellates, myo-inositol plays an especially important role as the precursor for GPI-anchored protective and/or immunomodulatory surface ..
- REGULATION OF PHOSPHOLIPASE CJohn Sondek; Fiscal Year: 2007Many extracellular stimuli produce their physiological effects through promotion of inositol lipid hydrolysis...
- REGULATION OF PHOSPHOLIPASE CJohn Sondek; Fiscal Year: 2007Many extracellular stimuli produce their physiological effects through promotion of inositol lipid hydrolysis...
- Coupling of D-chiro-inositol to insulin in PCOS womenMARIA IUORNO; Fiscal Year: 2004..The cellular mechanisms of insulin resistance in PCOS are still largely unknown. D-chiro-inositol phosphoglycan (DCI-IPG) is a nonclassical mediator of insulin action that has been demonstrated to increase ..
- FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERIZATION OF LEISHMANIA TRANSPORTERScott Landfear; Fiscal Year: 2000..In this proposal we will study the role of three membrane transporters, those for glucose, myo-inositol and nucleosides, in the biology of Leishmania parasites...
- AFFINITY LABELS FOR INOSITOL POLYPHOSPHATE RECEPTORSGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 1999..The second messenger D-myo-inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate (Ins(1,4,5)P3, or IP3) binds stereospecifically to domains of membrane receptors to cause ..
- The Role of Inositol Signaling in Human DiseaseJohn York; Fiscal Year: 2005..is to elucidate how diverse extracellular stimuli elicit selective cellular responses through the activation of inositol polyphosphate (IP) signaling pathways...
- The Role of Inositol Signaling in Human DiseaseJohn York; Fiscal Year: 2001..is to elucidate how diverse extracellular stimuli elicit selective cellular responses through the activation of inositol polyphosphate (IP) signaling pathways...
- MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR COUPLING TO INOSITIDES IN CNSStephen Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..volume, cells release Kv, CI-, and "non-perturbing" organic osmolytes, a major component of which is myo-inositol. Efflux of the osmolytes occurs via a volume-sensitive organic anion channel (VSOAC), which primarily gates CI'...
- Structural study of enzymes of inositol biosynthesisBoguslaw Stec; Fiscal Year: 2002..More specifically, we are interested in enzymes involved in the synthesis of myo-inositol. Myo-inositol is generated by the conversion of D-glucose-6- in enzymes involved in the synthesis of myo-inositol ..
- INSULIN AND THE POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROMEJOHN NESTLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..by putative inositolphosphoglycan (IPG) mediators of insulin action and a deficiency in a specific D-chiro-inositol-containing IPG may contribute to insulin resistance in individuals with impaired glucose tolerance or type 2 ..
- ACTIVATION OF PI-SPECIFIC PHOSPHOLIPASE C ENZYMESMary Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2007..the cleavage of phosphoinositides to diacylglycerol (a second messenger activator of protein kinase C), and inositol phosphates (cyclic 1,2-inositol phosphate in the case of bacterial PI-PLC and both cIP and inositol-1-phosphate ..