- The crystal and solution studies of glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase from Candida albicans
Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, ul Noskowskiego 12 14, 61 704 Poznan, Poland
J Mol Biol 372:672-88. 2007
..This study of Gfa1p focuses on the features that distinguish it from the prokaryotic homologue in terms of quaternary structure, control of the enzymatic activity and details of the isomerase active site...
- Structure and catalytic mechanism of glucosamine 6-phosphate deaminase from Escherichia coli at 2.1 A resolution
Instituto de Fisica de Sao Carlos, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Structure 3:1323-32. 1995
..The determination of the structure of this protein provides fundamental knowledge for understanding its mode of action and the nature of allosteric conformational changes that regulate its function...
- Accumulation of glucose 6-phosphate or fructose 6-phosphate is responsible for destabilization of glucose transporter mRNA in Escherichia coli
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:15608-14. 2003
..We conclude that the RNase E-dependent destabilization of ptsG mRNA occurs in response to accumulation of glucose-6-P or fructose-6-P...
- Crystal structure of the hypoxia-inducible form of 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase (PFKFB3): a possible new target for cancer therapy
Song Gun Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803, USA
J Biol Chem 281:2939-44. 2006
..This finding suggests that a molecule in which EDTA is covalently linked to ADP is a good starting molecule for the development of new cancer-therapeutic molecules...
- A direct substrate-substrate interaction found in the kinase domain of the bifunctional enzyme, 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase
Song Gun Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
J Mol Biol 370:14-26. 2007
..The site-directed mutant study and inhibition kinetics suggest that this reaction will be catalyzed most efficiently by the protein when the substrates bind to the active pocket in an ordered manner in which ATP binds first...
- Involvement of the C terminus in intramolecular nitrogen channeling in glucosamine 6-phosphate synthase: evidence from a 1.6 A crystal structure of the isomerase domain
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Germany
Structure 6:1047-55. 1998
..Knowledge of the three-dimensional structure of GlmS is essential for understanding the general principles of catalysis by ketol isomerases and the mechanism of nitrogen transfer in glutamine amidotransferases...
- Identification of fructose 6-phosphate- and fructose 1-phosphate-binding residues in the regulatory protein of glucokinase
Laboratory of Physiological Chemistry, University of Louvain and Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 277:8466-73. 2002
..These results are consistent with GKRP having one single binding site for phosphate esters. They also show that a missense mutation of GKRP can lead to a gain of function...
- Differences in regulatory properties between human and rat glucokinase regulatory protein
Katy J Brocklehurst
Cardiovascular and Gastrointestinal Department, AstraZeneca, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 4TG, UK
Biochem J 378:693-7. 2004
..Residues that are not conserved between the rodent and human proteins affect both the affinity for fructose 6-phosphate and sorbitol 6-phosphate and the inhibitory potency of GKRP on glucokinase in the absence of these ligands...
- Enzymic activities in two populations of purified rat islet beta-cells
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Brussels Free University, B-1070 Brussels, Belgium
Int J Mol Med 8:285-9. 2001
..These findings thus argue against a low expression of either low-Km hexokinase(s) or lactate dehydrogenase as major determinants of the glucose-sensing device in beta-cells...
- Purification and kinetic properties of 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase from gilthead sea bream muscle
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Barcelona, Diagonal 643, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1770:706-15. 2007
..Unlike the mammalian muscle enzyme, our findings support that phosphorylation of PFKM may exert a major role during starvation in fish muscle...
- A deeper investigation on carbohydrate cycling in Sinorhizobium meliloti
, UMR CNRS 6022, , , 33 rue Saint Leu, 80039 Cedex, Amiens, France
FEBS Lett 499:45-9. 2001
..Furthermore, carbohydrate cycling in S. meliloti is also observed on fructose, making the situation in this bacterium significantly different from that depicted for alginate-synthesizing species...
- Creation of an allosteric phosphofructokinase starting with a nonallosteric enzyme. The case of dictyostelium discoideum phosphofructokinase
Departamento de Bioquímica and Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas Alberto Sols UAM CSIC, Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Autonoma, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 277:1210-6. 2002
- MgATP-dependent activation by phosphoenolpyruvate of the E187A mutant of Escherichia coli phosphofructokinase
A S Pham
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biochemistry 40:4150-8. 2001
..The present study examines the role of Glu 187 at the allosteric site in the binding of Fru-6-P and offers a more complex explanation of the mechanism than that described by traditional allosteric mechanistic models...
- Expression of key substrate cycle enzymes in rat spermatogenic cells: fructose 1,6 bisphosphatase and 6 phosphofructose 1-kinase
Alejandro J Yañez
Instituto de Bioquimica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Austral de Chile, Valdivia, Chile
J Cell Physiol 212:807-16. 2007
- Profiling of pentose phosphate pathway intermediates in blood spots by tandem mass spectrometry: application to transaldolase deficiency
Jojanneke H J Huck
Department of Pediatrics, VU University Medical Centre, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 49:1375-80. 2003
..We hypothesized that they are derived from sugar phosphate intermediates of the pentose phosphate pathway (PPP), and we developed a semiquantitative method for profiling of pentose phosphate pathway intermediates...
- Excess mannose limits the growth of phosphomannose isomerase PMI40 deletion strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Juha Pekka Pitkänen
MediCel Ltd, Haartmaninkatu 8, FIN 00290 Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 279:55737-43. 2004
- Quantitative estimation of channeling from early glycolytic intermediates to CO in intact Escherichia coli
Department of Biology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
FEBS J 272:3260-9. 2005
..The data also suggest that, in addition to pathway enzymes being associated with one another, some are free in the aqueous cytosol. How sensitive the degree of channeling is to growth or experimental conditions remains to be determined...
- The structures of inhibitor complexes of Pyrococcus furiosus phosphoglucose isomerase provide insights into substrate binding and catalysis
John M Berrisford
The Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
J Mol Biol 343:649-57. 2004
..These similarities suggest that aspects of the catalytic mechanisms of these two structurally unrelated PGIs may be similar and based on an enediol intermediate...
- Development of a quantification system of ionic dissociative metabolites using an FT-IR/ATR method
Department of Sustainable Resource Sciences, Faculty of Bioresources, Mie University, 1515 Kamihama cho, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 26:133-9. 2003
..In addition, the stability of quantification results for a pK shift was also verified...
- Disentangling the web of allosteric communication in a homotetramer: heterotropic inhibition of phosphofructokinase from Bacillus stearothermophilus
Allison D Ortigosa
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and Center for Advanced Biomolecular Research, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 2128, USA
Biochemistry 43:577-86. 2004
..The results do not agree with either the concerted or sequential models that are often invoked to explain allosteric behavior in oligomeric enzymes...
- Low rate of glucose 6-phosphate hydrolysis in liver cells is a physiological feature of non-diabetic wild sand rats (Psammomys obesus)
E A Koceir
INSERM E 0221 Bioénergétique Fondamentale et Appliquée, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
Diabetes Metab 29:363-74. 2003
..Psammomys obesus is a natural model of insulin resistance when fed a rodent laboratory chow...
- Emetine inhibits glycolysis in isolated, perfused rat hearts
Shujia J Pan
Department of Kinesiology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Cardiovasc Toxicol 3:311-8. 2003
..Homogenate centrifugation studies indicate that emetine acts on bound rather than unbound phosphofructokinase. The inhibition may be uncompetitive in nature...
- Crystal structure of Pyrococcus furiosus phosphoglucose isomerase. Implications for substrate binding and catalysis
John M Berrisford
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:33290-7. 2003
- Inactivation of sll1556 in Synechocystis strain PCC 6803 impairs isoprenoid biosynthesis from pentose phosphate cycle substrates in vitro
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics, Microbiology Building, Campus Dr, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Bacteriol 186:4685-93. 2004
..Our findings are consistent with an alternate metabolic shunt for biosynthesis of isoprenoids...
- Effect of 6-phosphogluconate on phosphoglucose isomerase in rat brain in vitro and in vivo
M K Gaitonde
Department of Biochemistry, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, England
J Neurochem 52:1348-52. 1989
..No significant changes were observed in the values of Km, Vmax, and Ki for phosphoglucose isomerase in the brain of 6-aminonicotinamide-treated rats.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Crystal structure of human phosphoglucose isomerase and analysis of the initial catalytic steps
A T Cordeiro
Laboratory of Protein Crystallography and Structural Biology, Physics Institute of São Carlos, University of Sao Paulo USP, Av Trabalhador Saocarlense 400, PO Box 369, 13566 590 Sao Carlos SP, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1645:117-22. 2003
- Enzyme-to-enzyme channeling in the early steps of glycolysis in rat pancreatic islets
Willy J Malaisse
Laboratory of Experimental Hormonology, Brussels Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Endocrine 24:105-9. 2004
- Leishmania donovani phosphofructokinase. Gene characterization, biochemical properties and structure-modeling studies
Instituto de Biologia Experimental, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Eur J Biochem 269:3978-89. 2002
..Modelling studies and site-directed mutagenesis were employed to shed light on the structural basis for the AMP effector specificity and on ATP/PPi specificity among PFKs...
- Regulation of sucrose and starch synthesis in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves: role of fructose 2,6-bisphosphate
S J Trevanion
IACR Rothamsted, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2JQ, UK
Planta 215:653-65. 2002
..However F26BP does not appear to be involved in regulating the partitioning of fixed carbon between sucrose and starch in wheat under the experimental conditions examined...
- Exploring the active site of Trypanosoma brucei phosphofructokinase by inhibition studies: specific irreversible inhibition
Laboratoire Synthèse et Physico Chimie de Molécules d Intérêt Biologique UMR CNRS 5068, Universite Paul Sabatier, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062 Toulouse Cedex, France
Biochemistry 41:10183-93. 2002
..This first example of a specific irreversible inactivation of T. brucei PFK offers an opportunity to develop biologically active compounds against the sleeping sickness, the causative agent of which is the trypanosome...
- Integrated effects of multiple modulators on human liver glycogen phosphorylase a
Metabolic Research Laboratory and Section of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E29-37. 2002
..Of these effectors, only glucose changes greatly in vivo. Thus it may be the major regulator of HLGPa activity...
- Isomerase activity of the C-terminal fructose-6-phosphate binding domain of glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase from Escherichia coli
Institute of Biophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia
J Enzyme Inhib 16:373-80. 2001
..The fructose-6P binding domain possibly includes a regulatory site, different from the catalytic center of the enzyme...
- Control of phosphofructokinase from rat skeletal muscle. Effects of fructose diphosphate, AMP, ATP, and citrate
J Biol Chem 251:7322-8. 1976
..Citrate is a potent inhibitor at physiological concentrations, whereas AMP is a strong activator. Both AMP and citrate affect the maximum velocity and have little effect on affinity of the enzyme for fructose diphosphate...
- Isoenzymes of phosphofructokinase in the rat. Demonstration of the three non-identical subunits by biochemical, immunochemical and kinetic studies
Biochem J 229:333-41. 1985
- Crystal structures of the effector-binding domain of repressor Central glycolytic gene Regulator from Bacillus subtilis reveal ligand-induced structural changes upon binding of several glycolytic intermediates
Department of Biochemistry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
Mol Microbiol 69:895-910. 2008
..Our results suggest that CggR stability and function may be modulated by various effectors in a complex fashion...
- Pyruvate kinase from Lactobacillus bulgaricus: possible regulation by competition between strong and weak effectors
G Le Bras
Laboratoire d Enzymologie du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Gif sur Yvette, France
Biochimie 75:797-802. 1993
- Antibiotic overproduction in Streptomyces coelicolor A3 2 mediated by phosphofructokinase deletion
Center for Microbial Biotechnology, BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, 2800 Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
J Biol Chem 283:25186-99. 2008
- Isozyme analysis of human polymorphonuclear leukocyte phosphofructokinase from insulin resistant individuals
Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 225:975-82. 1996
- The glycosomal ATP-dependent phosphofructokinase of Trypanosoma brucei must have evolved from an ancestral pyrophosphate-dependent enzyme
P A Michels
International Institute of Cellular and Molecular Pathology and Laboratory of Biochemistry, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Biochem 250:698-704. 1997
..brucei PFK shows many structural differences, even at the active site, when compared with other ATP-dependent PFKs. These differences offer great potential for the structure-based design of trypanocidal drugs...
- Effects of oral administration of sodium citrate or acetate to pigs on blood parameters, postmortem glycolysis, muscle pH decline, and quality attributes of pork
J W Stephens
Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506, USA
J Anim Sci 86:1669-77. 2008
..10). There was no significant inhibition of the PFK enzyme by orally administered CIT or ACE; however, the PFK glycolytic metabolite data analysis indicated that PFK was a main regulatory enzyme in postmortem muscle...
- Peripheral glucose metabolism is altered by epileptic seizures
Fernanda K S Pereira
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antonio Carlos 6627, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Metab Brain Dis 23:105-14. 2008
..6-fold higher than that observed in resistant rats and that the audiogenic stimulus led to decreased concentration of this receptor in the muscle of WAR animals...
- Muscle metabolic responses during 16 hours of intermittent heavy exercise
H J Green
Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 85:634-45. 2007
..It is concluded that repetitive heavy exercise results in less of a disturbance in phosphorylation potential, possibly as a result of increased mitochondrial respiration during the rest-to-work non-steady-state transition...
- Characterisation of glutamine fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase (EC 126.96.36.199) and N-acetylglucosamine metabolism in Bifidobacterium
School of Life Sciences, Napier University, Edinburgh, EH10 5DT, UK
Arch Microbiol 189:157-67. 2008
..This is of interest considering the apparently reduced coding potential in bifidobacteria for enzymes associated with glutamine metabolism...
- The ancestral activation promiscuity of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylases from oxygenic photosynthetic organisms
Misty L Kuhn
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Loyola University Chicago, 1032 W, Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL 60660, USA
BMC Evol Biol 13:51. 2013
- Structure-based development of small molecule PFKFB3 inhibitors: a framework for potential cancer therapeutic agents targeting the Warburg effect
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24179. 2011
..This study validates PFKFB3 as a target for new cancer therapies and provides a framework for future development efforts...
- Resolving the sources of plasma glucose excursions following a glucose tolerance test in the rat with deuterated water and [U-13C]glucose
Teresa C Delgado
Intermediary Metabolism Group, Center for Neurosciences and Cell Biology, Coimbra, Portugal
PLoS ONE 7:e34042. 2012
..In rats that were placed on high-fat diet, the development of glucose intolerance was associated with a significantly higher gluconeogenic contribution to plasma glucose levels after the load...
- Changes in the contents of metabolites and enzyme activities in rice plants responding to Rhizoctonia solani Kuhn infection: activation of glycolysis and connection to phenylpropanoid pathway
J Musembi Mutuku
Saga University, Faculty of Agriculture, 1 Honjo Machi, Saga City, 840 8502 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 53:1017-32. 2012
- The glycosylation pathway of Eimeria tenella is upregulated during gametocyte development and may play a role in oocyst wall formation
Robert A Walker
Institute for the Biotechnology of Infectious Diseases, University of Technology, Sydney, New South Wales 2007, Australia
Eukaryot Cell 9:127-35. 2010
..tenella sexual stages and may play a role in directing a number of macrogamete proteins to the developing oocyst wall...
- Clotrimazole potentiates the inhibitory effects of ATP on the key glycolytic enzyme 6-phosphofructo-1-kinase
Mariah Celestino Marcondes
Laboratório de Oncobiologia Molecular LabOMol and Laboratório de Enzimologia e Controle do Metabolismo LabECoM, Departamento de Fármacos, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 497:62-7. 2010
..Altogether, the results presented here suggest that PFK inhibition by CTZ involves a decrease in the affinity of PFK for its substrates at the catalytic site with the concomitant potentiation of the inhibitory properties of ATP...
- Methylglyoxal is an intermediate in the biosynthesis of 6-deoxy-5-ketofructose-1-phosphate: a precursor for aromatic amino acid biosynthesis in Methanocaldococcus jannaschii
Robert H White
Department of Biochemistry 0308, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Biochemistry 45:12366-79. 2006
..This work is the first report of methylglyoxal functioning in central metabolism...
- The crystal complex of phosphofructokinase-2 of Escherichia coli with fructose-6-phosphate: kinetic and structural analysis of the allosteric ATP inhibition
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Biol Chem 286:5774-83. 2011
..Differences and resemblances in the patterns of fructose-6-P binding and the mechanism of inhibition are discussed for Pfk-1 and Pfk-2, as an example of evolutionary convergence, because these enzymes do not share a common ancestor...
- The crystal structure of mouse phosphoglucose isomerase at 1.6A resolution and its complex with glucose 6-phosphate reveals the catalytic mechanism of sugar ring opening
J T Graham Solomons
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Mol Biol 342:847-60. 2004
..The structure with G6P also explains the specificity of PGI for glucose 6-phosphate over mannose 6-isomerase (M6P). To isomerize M6P to F6P requires a rotation of its C2-C3 bond but in PGI this is sterically blocked by Gln511...
- Characterization of hyperthermostable fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase from Thermococcus onnurineus NA1
Yeol Gyun Lee
Division of Life Science, Korea Basic Science Institute, Daejeon, 305 806, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 48:803-7. 2010
..However, this enzyme shows a different range of substrate specificities. These results suggest that TNA1-Fbp can establish new criterion for class V FBPases...
- Glucose-6-phosphate isomerase deficiency results in mTOR activation, failed translocation of lipin 1α to the nucleus and hypersensitivity to glucose: Implications for the inherited glycolytic disease
Jorge F Haller
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Boston University School of Medicine, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1812:1393-402. 2011
..These results shed light on the mechanism underlying the pathologies associated with inherited GPI deficiency and the variability in the severity of the symptoms observed in these patients...
- Estimation of binding constants for the substrate and activator of Rhodobacter sphaeroides adenosine 5'-diphosphate-glucose pyrophosphorylase using affinity capillary electrophoresis
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, California State University at Los Angeles, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032 8202, USA
Anal Biochem 327:252-60. 2004
..This method demonstrates the quantitative ability of ACE to study different binding sites/ligand interactions in allosteric enzymes...
- Gene cloning and catalysis features of a new mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase (BbMPD) from Beauveria bassiana
Zheng Liang Wang
Institute of Microbiology, College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310058, People s Republic of China
Carbohydr Res 345:50-4. 2010
..0 and was much more sensitive to Cu(2+) and Zn(2+) than to Li(+) and Mn(2+). The results indicate a crucial role of BbMPD in the mannitol biosynthesis of B. bassiana...
- The crystal structure of ATP-bound phosphofructokinase from Trypanosoma brucei reveals conformational transitions different from those of other phosphofructokinases
Iain W McNae
Structural Biochemistry Group, Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, King s Buildings, Edinburgh, Scotland
J Mol Biol 385:1519-33. 2009
..brucei PFK compared with bacterial and mammalian PFKs give optimism for the discovery of species-specific drugs for the treatment of diseases caused by protist parasites of the trypanosomatid family...
- Simultaneous quantification of metabolites involved in central carbon and energy metabolism using reversed-phase liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry and in vitro 13C labeling
Wen Chu Yang
Bindley Bioscience Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Anal Chem 80:9508-16. 2008
..Thirty common metabolites involved in glycolysis, the pentose phosphate pathway, and tricarboxylic acid cycle were identified and quantified from yeast lysate with a relative standard deviation of less than 10%...
- Noninvasive analysis of hepatic glycogen kinetics before and after breakfast with deuterated water and acetaminophen
John G Jones
NMR Research Unit, Department of Biochemistry and Center for Neurosciences and Cell Biology, Faculty of Sciences and Technology, University of Coimbra, 3001 401 Coimbra, Portugal
Diabetes 55:2294-300. 2006
..Unlike current measurements of human hepatic glycogen metabolism, the (2)H(2)O/acetaminophen assay does not require specialized on-site clinical equipment or personnel...
- Evidence for impaired gluconeogenesis in very long-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase-deficient mice
Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:625-30. 2006
..Whether this is due to lack of a substrate, inhibitory effects on other gluconeogenic enzymes or impaired transcription of gluconeogenic enzymes needs to be resolved in the future...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of Plasmodium falciparum transketolase
Division of Biochemistry, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Mol Biochem Parasitol 160:32-41. 2008
..The availability of a structural model of PfTk and the observed differences in its kinetic properties compared to the host enzyme may facilitate designing of novel inhibitors of PfTk with potential anti-malarial activity...
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of the two domains of glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase from Escherichia coli
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, c o DESY, Hamburg, Germany
J Mol Biol 242:703-5. 1994
..5 A, c = 334.3 A and with two molecules in the asymmetric unit. Diffraction data to 2.6 A resolution have been collected...
- Revised procedures for yeast metabolites extraction: application to a glucose pulse to carbon-limited yeast cultures, which reveals a transient activation of the purine salvage pathway
Marie Odile Loret
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie et Bioprocédés, UMR CNRS 5504, UMR INRA 792, Avenue de Rangueil, 31077 Toulouse Cedex 04, France
Yeast 24:47-60. 2007
..This metabolic perturbation was accompanied by a rapid increase in the activity of the ISN1-encoded specific IMP-5'-nucleotidase. The mechanism of this activation remains to be determined...
- Human red blood cells targeted metabolome analysis of glycolysis cycle metabolites by capillary electrophoresis using an indirect photometric detection method
Michał J Markuszewski
Department of Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacodynamics, Medical University of Gdansk, Gen J Hallera 107, 80 416 Gdansk, Poland
J Pharm Biomed Anal 39:636-42. 2005
..6 microM for fructose-6-phosphate (F-6-P) to 3.1 mM for 2,3-diphospho-D-glyceric acid (2,3-DPG). The method can be readily applied in clinical, pathophysiological and epidemiological studies...
- Endogenous effectors of human liver glycogen phosphorylase modulate effects of indole-site inhibitors
Metabolic Research Laboratory, Section of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nutrition, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E366-72. 2005
..However, at higher concentrations (10-30 microM), the GPI effect was dominant and resulted in inhibition of phosphorylase a activity irrespective of the presence or absence of the other modulators of the enzyme...
- Anomeric specificity of D-glucose production by rat hepatocytes
W J Malaisse
Laboratory of Experimental Hormonology ULB and High Resolution NMR Centre VUB, Brussels Free Universities, Brussels, Belgium
Mol Cell Biochem 266:145-50. 2004
- Strain and near attack conformers in enzymic thiamin catalysis: X-ray crystallographic snapshots of bacterial transketolase in covalent complex with donor ketoses xylulose 5-phosphate and fructose 6-phosphate, and in noncovalent complex with acceptor aldo
Institut für Biochemie Biotechnologie, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Kurt Mothes Strasse 3, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Biochemistry 46:12037-52. 2007
- Expression and purification of active human internal His(6)-tagged L-glutamine: D-Fructose-6P amidotransferase I
Institut de Chimie des Substances Naturelles, ICSN CNRS, Avenue de la Terrasse, 91198 Gif sur Yvette, France
Protein Expr Purif 54:45-53. 2007
..The stimulation of hydrolysis of the alternate substrate L-glutamine para-nitroanilide by D-fructose-6P (Fru-6P) afforded a K(d) of 5 microM for Fru-6P...
- Portal vein caffeine infusion enhances net hepatic glucose uptake during a glucose load in conscious dogs
R Richard Pencek
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 0615, USA
J Nutr 134:3042-6. 2004
..5 +/- 3.8 vs. 5.5 +/- 1.5 micromol/(kg . min)]. These findings indicate that physiologic circulating levels of caffeine can enhance NHGU during a glucose load, and the added glucose consumed by the liver is in part converted to lactate...
- Unfolding pathway of the dimeric and tetrameric forms of phosphofructokinase-2 from Escherichia coli
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
Biochemistry 46:6141-8. 2007
- In silico exploration of the fructose-6-phosphate phosphorylation step in glycolysis: genomic evidence of the coexistence of an atypical ATP-dependent along with a PPi-dependent phosphofructokinase in Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii
INRA STLO, Rennes Cedex, France
In Silico Biol 4:517-28. 2004
..2001]. The possible significance of the co-existence of these two PFKs and their importance for the regulation of glycolytic pathway flux in P. shermanii is discussed...
- Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase/phosphatase may be an ancestral gluconeogenic enzyme
Rafael F Say
Mikrobiologie, Fakultat Biologie, Universitat Freiburg, Schanzlestrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 464:1077-81. 2010
..We propose that this highly conserved, heat-stabile and bifunctional FBP aldolase/phosphatase represents the pace-making ancestral gluconeogenic enzyme, and that in evolution gluconeogenesis preceded glycolysis...
- Effects of hyperglycemia on hepatic gluconeogenic flux during glycogen phosphorylase inhibition in the conscious dog
Dale S Edgerton
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, 702 Light Hall, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E510-22. 2004
..We conclude that, in the absence of appreciable glycogen breakdown, the increase in glycolytic flux that accompanies hyperglycemia results in decreased net carbon flux to G-6-P but no effect on gluconeogenic flux to G-6-P...
- Structure of a ternary complex of an allosteric lactate dehydrogenase from Bacillus stearothermophilus at 2.5 A resolution
D B Wigley
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, U K
J Mol Biol 223:317-35. 1992
..His188 is connected to His195 (which binds the carbonyl group of the substrate) and Arg173 is connected to Arg171 (the residue that binds the carboxylate group of the substrate)...
- The allosteric transition of glucosamine-6-phosphate deaminase: the structure of the T state at 2.3 A resolution
Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico UNAM, Cuernavaca, Mor, Mexico
Structure 7:527-37. 1999
..The reversibility of the catalysis and its rapid-equilibrium random kinetic mechanism, among other properties, make this enzyme a good model for studying allosteric processes...
- Chemical modification of SH groups of E. coli phosphofructokinase-2 induces subunit dissociation: monomers are inactive but preserve ligand binding properties
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
Arch Biochem Biophys 376:313-9. 2000
..These results show the presence of SH groups in the interface of Pfk-2 subunits, critical for subunit interactions, and that conformational changes occurring through the dimers are essential for catalytic activity...
- Hepatic intralobular mapping of fructose metabolism in the rat liver
S P Burns
Cell Regulation Unit, Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, 5th Floor Alexandra Wing, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BB, UK
Biochem J 349:539-45. 2000
..It may be inferred that fructokinase activity is expressed throughout the hepatic lobule...
- Sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1 is regulated by glucose at the transcriptional level
A H Hasty
Department of Metabolic Diseasese, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
J Biol Chem 275:31069-77. 2000
..These data provide strong evidence for the induction of SREBP-1c mRNA by glucose leading to increased mature protein in the nucleus, thus providing a potential mechanism for the up-regulation of lipogenic genes by glucose in vivo...
- Regulation of glycolysis during acclimation of scallops (Patinopecten yessoensis Jay) to anaerobiosis
Department of Food Science, Ishikawa Agricultural College, Nonoichi, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 127:45-52. 2000
..7.1.11) (PFK1) was strongly activated by 1 microM Fru 2,6-BP when 0.2 mM Fru 6-P was used as a substrate, but the activity was not affected at 5 mM Fru 6-P. In view of these results, the regulation mechanism of glycolysis is discussed...
- Multisite control of the Crabtree effect in ascites hepatoma cells
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia, Mexico
Eur J Biochem 268:2512-9. 2001
..6 mM) at pH 6.8, exhibited a 40% inhibition of oxidative phosphorylation. The data suggest that the Crabtree effect is the result of several small metabolic changes promoted by addition of exogenous glucose or fructose...
- Reaction path of phosphofructo-1-kinase is altered by mutagenesis and alternative substrates
Departments of Microbiology and Immunology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, Illinois 60064, USA
Biochemistry 40:3938-42. 2001
..These unusual kinetic patterns could be interpreted within the random, steady-state model as reflecting changes in the rates of particular binding and catalytic events...
- Persistent binding of MgADP to the E187A mutant of Escherichia coli phosphofructokinase in the absence of allosteric effects
A S Pham
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biochemistry 40:4140-9. 2001
..These results clarified the mechanism of a three-ligand interaction and offered a nontraditional perspective on allosteric mechanism...
- Photoaffinity labeling and photoaffinity cross-linking of phosphofructokinase-1 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae by 8-azidoadeninenucleotides
, Fachbereich Chemie und Pharmazie, , Germany
Arch Biochem Biophys 385:301-10. 2001
- Triosephosphate metabolism by mature boar spermatozoa
A R Jones
Department of Biochemistry, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Reprod Fertil Dev 9:577-81. 1997
..This suggests that these cells may have the capacity to convert glycolytic intermediates into a storage metabolite to conserve carbon atoms for the eventual synthesis of lactate...
- Inhibition of phosphomannose isomerase by fructose 1-phosphate: an explanation for defective N-glycosylation in hereditary fructose intolerance
Department of Pediatrics, University of Leuven, Belgium
Pediatr Res 40:764-6. 1996
..3.1.8), the first enzyme of the N-glycosylation pathway thus explaining the N-glycosylation disturbances in HFI...
- Yeast phosphofructokinase: kinetic characterization of a substrate-imprinted enzyme conformation
Institut fur Biochemie, Universitat Leipzig, FRG
Biomed Biochim Acta 50:1159-65. 1991
- Crystal structure of the neutral form of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase complexed with the product fructose 6-phosphate at 2.1-A resolution
H M Ke
Gibbs Chemical Laboratory, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:2989-93. 1991
..Possible functions of the active-site residues are discussed, and candidates are suggested for site-directed mutagenesis...
- Glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase from Escherichia coli yields two proteins upon limited proteolysis: identification of the glutamine amidohydrolase and 2R ketose/aldose isomerase-bearing domains based on their biochemical properties
M A Denisot
Laboratoire de Bioorganique et Biotechnologies, UA CNRS 1389, Paris, France
Arch Biochem Biophys 288:225-30. 1991
- Control of the fructose 6-phosphate/fructose 2,6-bisphosphate cycle by sn-glycerol 3-phosphate
Institut fur Biochemie, Karl Marx Universität, Leipzig
Biomed Biochim Acta 47:461-70. 1988
..In addition, sn-glycerol 3-phosphate was found to increase the concentration control coefficient of Fru 2,6-P2 with respect to Fru 6-P...
- Influence of ligands on the aggregation of the normal and mutant forms of phosphofructokinase 2 of Escherichia coli
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Santiago
Arch Biochem Biophys 264:519-24. 1988
..Possibly Pfk-2* is not able to form a tetramer because of an alteration in the regulatory site for the Mg-nucleotide complex...
- Localization of phosphoglucose isomerase in Escherichia coli and its relation to the induction of the hexose phosphate transport system
J Bacteriol 112:1201-5. 1972
..S6P was not taken by intact cells. The data indicate that the isomerization of F6P to G6P can take place on the cell surface, and this explains the indirect induction of hexose phosphate transport by F6P...
- Partial purification and regulatory properties of phosphofructokinase from Aspergillus niger
Biochem J 209:669-76. 1983
- Changes of liver metabolite concentrations in adults with disorders of fructose metabolism after intravenous fructose by 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy
Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Informatics, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Pediatr Res 36:436-40. 1994
..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Effects of temperature shifts on the activities of Neurospora crassa glycogen synthase, glycogen phosphorylase and trehalose-6-phosphate synthase
M A Noventa-Jordão
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brasil
FEBS Lett 378:32-6. 1996
..Altogether, these results may contribute to explain the preferential accumulation of trehalose 45 degrees C, or that of glycogen at 30 degrees C...
- Crystal structure of rabbit phosphoglucose isomerase complexed with its substrate D-fructose 6-phosphate
J H Lee
Laboratory for Molecular Biology, MC567, Department of Biology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Biochemistry 40:7799-805. 2001
- A comparative study on diurnal changes in metabolite levels in the leaves of three crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) species, Ananas comosus, Kalanchoë daigremontiana and K. pinnata
Li Song Chen
Faculty of Agriculture, Saga University, Saga, 840 8502 Japan
J Exp Bot 53:341-50. 2002
..Diurnal changes in oxaloacetate (OAA), pyruvate (Pyr) and phosphoenolpyruvate (PEP) levels in the three CAM species were similar...
- Differential effects of glucose and fructose on hexose metabolism in dog spermatozoa
Unit of Animal Reproduction, Department of Animal Medicine and Surgery, Autonomous University of Barcelona, E 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Reproduction 123:579-91. 2002
..Moreover, the differential hexose metabolism induced by the two sugars had distinct effects on the function of dog spermatozoa, as revealed by the diverse patterns of tyrosine phosphorylation...
- Bifunctional phosphomannose isomerase/GDP-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase is the point of control for GDP-D-mannose biosynthesis in Helicobacter pylori
Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
FEBS Lett 519:87-92. 2002
..The inhibition is of non-competitive (mixed) type. As the enzyme is found only in bacteria probably participating in capsular polysaccharide biosynthesis, it could be a specific therapeutic target against bacterial infection...
- Isolation of a single activating allosteric interaction in phosphofructokinase from Escherichia coli
Aron W Fenton
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and the Center for Advanced Biomolecular Research, Texas A and M University, 2128 TAMU, College Station, Texas 77843 2128, USA
Biochemistry 41:13410-6. 2002
..56 kcal/mol under these conditions, indicating that the effects of MgADP are diminished by a homotropic activation equal to -1.3 kcal/mol. These data are not consistent with a concerted allosteric mechanism...
- A radioassay for phosphofructokinase-1 activity in cell extracts and purified enzyme
Laboratório de Enzimologia e Controle do Metabolismo LabECoM, Departamento de Fármacos, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21944 910, Brazil
J Biochem Biophys Methods 50:129-40. 2002
..The proposed method is precise and relatively inexpensive, and can be applied to determine phosphofructokinase-1 activity in cellular extracts as well as in the purified enzyme...
- Biosynthesis of 1-deoxy-1-imino-D-erythrose 4-phosphate: a defining metabolite in the aminoshikimate pathway
Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:528-9. 2002
..mediterranei crude cell lysate. Retention of both 15N and 2H2 labeling in product aminoDAHP indicates that 3-amino-3-deoxy-d-fructose 6-phosphate is serving as a sequestered form of 1-deoxy-1-imino-d-erythrose 4-phosphate...