Genomes and Genes
Summary: A trisaccharide occurring in Australian manna (from Eucalyptus spp, Myrtaceae) and in cottonseed meal.
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- Galactinol and raffinose constitute a novel function to protect plants from oxidative damageAyako Nishizawa
Department of Advanced Bioscience, Faculty of Agriculture, Kinki University, 3327 204 Nakamachi, Nara 631 8505, Japan
Plant Physiol 147:1251-63. 2008Galactinol synthase (GolS) is a key enzyme in the synthesis of raffinose family oligosaccharides that function as osmoprotectants in plant cells...
- Mrt, a gene unique to fungi, encodes an oligosaccharide transporter and facilitates rhizosphere competency in Metarhizium robertsiiWeiguo Fang
Department of Entomology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Plant Physiol 154:1549-57. 2010..Here, we demonstrate that sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides in root exudates are important for rhizosphere competence in the insect pathogen ..
- Protection mechanisms in the resurrection plant Xerophyta viscosa (Baker): both sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs) accumulate in leaves in response to water deficitShaun Peters
University of Cape Town, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Private Bag, Rhodes Gift, 7701, Cape Town, South Africa
J Exp Bot 58:1947-56. 2007..Sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs), particularly raffinose, increased under these conditions, with the highest ..
- A genetic element present on megaplasmids allows Enterococcus faecium to use raffinose as carbon sourceXinglin Zhang
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Environ Microbiol 13:518-28. 2011..faecium gene cluster that is responsible for the metabolism of the α-galactoside sugar raffinose. Phenotypic testing of seven E...
- Hypothermia causes a marked injury to rat proximal tubular cells that is aggravated by all currently used preservation solutionsMiranda Bartels-Stringer
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cryobiology 47:82-91. 2003..Iron-dependent MPT is suggested to play a role in this damage. Strategies to prevent cold-induced injury should aim at reducing the availability of "free" iron...
- alpha-Galactoside uptake in Rhizobium meliloti: isolation and characterization of agpA, a gene encoding a periplasmic binding protein required for melibiose and raffinose utilizationD J Gage
Department of Biological Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 5020, USA
J Bacteriol 180:5739-48. 1998..meliloti and at low levels in the free-living bacteria, we propose that AgpA may belong to the class of gene products whose expression decreases when R. meliloti becomes an intracellular symbiont...
- Addition of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activators to University of Wisconsin solution: a way of protecting rat steatotic liversIsmail Ben Mosbah
Experimental Hepatic Ischemia Reperfusion Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Spain
Liver Transpl 13:410-25. 2007..TMZ and AICAR may constitute new additives to UW solution in steatotic liver preservation, whereas a combination of both seems unnecessary...
- Static cold storage preservation of ischemically damaged kidneys. a comparison between IGL-1 and UW solutionMark Hugo J Maathuis
University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transpl Int 21:473-82. 2008..In the present experiment, static CS preservation of ischemically damaged rat kidneys in either IGL-1 or UW-CSS rendered equal results after transplantation...
- Effects of polyethylene glycol and hydroxyethyl starch in University of Wisconsin preservation solution on human red blood cell aggregation and viscosityI B Mosbah
Liver Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury Unit, , CSIC-IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Transplant Proc 38:1229-35. 2006..These results were consistent with reduced viscosity for PEG-containing solutions. In conclusion, the use of PEG did not change the physiologic function of human RBCs and thus may be an alternative to HES in UW liquids...
- Role of perfusion medium, oxygen and rheology for endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced cell death after hypothermic machine preservation of the liverSteffen Manekeller
Surgical Research Division, University Clinic of Surgery, Bonn, Germany
Transpl Int 21:169-77. 2008..The simple insufflation of gaseous O2 may be considered a feasible alternative, apparently indifferent to the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Polyethylene glycol modified-albumin enhances the cold preservation properties of University of Wisconsin solution in rat liver and a hepatocyte cell lineRime Abbas
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5047, USA
J Surg Res 164:95-104. 2010..Peg-Alb-UW solution improved the integrity of the glutathione redox buffer system of a hepatocyte cell line after cold storage and reperfusion...
- Regulation of the alpha-galactosidase activity in Streptococcus pneumoniae: characterization of the raffinose utilization systemC Rosenow
Versicor, Inc, Fremont, California 94555, USA
Genome Res 9:1189-97. 1999..the Streptococcus pneumoniae genome sequence that contains eight genes involved in regulation and metabolism of raffinose. The genes rafR and rafS are transcribed as one operon, and their gene products regulate the raffinose-dependent ..
- Effect of University of Wisconsin organ-preservation solution on haemorheologyArjan van der Plaats
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, P O Box 196, 9700 AD Groningen, The Netherlands
Transpl Int 17:227-33. 2004..The aggregates are larger than the diameter of the sinusoids. Initial washout could be optimised by pre-flushing to improve the viability of the liver and to decrease delayed graft function...
- Chain Elongation of raffinose in pea seeds. Isolation, characterization, and molecular cloning of mutifunctional enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of stachyose and verbascoseThomas Peterbauer
Institute of Ecology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 277:194-200. 2002b>Raffinose oligosaccharides are major soluble carbohydrates in seeds and other tissues of plants...
- myo-Inositol and sucrose concentrations affect the accumulation of raffinose family oligosaccharides in seedsUte Karner
Institute of Ecology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Exp Bot 55:1981-7. 2004b>Raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs) fulfil multiple functions in plants. In seeds, they possibly protect cellular structures during desiccation and constitute carbon reserves for early germination...
- Over-expression of OsUGE-1 altered raffinose level and tolerance to abiotic stress but not morphology in ArabidopsisHui Li Liu
Key Laboratory of Photosynthesis and Environmental Molecular Physiology, Institute of Botany, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanxincun 20, Xiangshan, Beijing 100093, China
J Plant Physiol 164:1384-90. 2007..In addition, transgenic plants showed a higher level of the soluble sugar raffinose than did wild-type plants...
- Inhibition of raffinose oligosaccharide breakdown delays germination of pea seedsAndreas Blöchl
Department of Chemical Ecology and Ecosystem Research, University of Vienna, Althanstr 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Plant Physiol 164:1093-6. 2007b>Raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs) are almost ubiquitous in seeds and have been hypothesized to constitute an important energy source during germination...
- Proteomic analysis of common bean seed with storage protein deficiency reveals up-regulation of sulfur-rich proteins and starch and raffinose metabolic enzymes, and down-regulation of the secretory pathwayFrédéric Marsolais
Southern Crop Protection and Food Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, London, ON, Canada
J Proteomics 73:1587-600. 2010..starch composition, whereas increased levels of UDP-glucose 4-epimerase were correlated with a 30% increase in raffinose content. Induction of cell division cycle protein 48 and ubiquitin suggested enhanced ER-associated degradation...
- Crystal structure of inactivated Thermotoga maritima invertase in complex with the trisaccharide substrate raffinoseFrançois Alberto
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR6098, CNRS, Universités Aix Marseille I and II, Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Biochem J 395:457-62. 2006..a member of the glycoside hydrolase family GH-32, readily releases beta-D-fructose from sucrose, raffinose and fructan polymers such as inulin...
- Phloem loading in Verbascum phoeniceum L. depends on the synthesis of raffinose-family oligosaccharidesAshlee McCaskill
Department of Plant Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19619-24. 2007..It has been proposed that loading occurs symplastically in species that translocate carbohydrate primarily as raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs)...
- The role of raffinose in the cold acclimation response of Arabidopsis thalianaEllen Zuther
, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
FEBS Lett 576:169-73. 2004In many plants raffinose family oligosaccharides are accumulated during cold acclimation. The contribution of raffinose accumulation to freezing tolerance is not clear...
- The preservation of liposomes by raffinose family oligosaccharides during drying is mediated by effects on fusion and lipid phase transitionsDirk K Hincha
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, D 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1612:172-7. 2003b>Raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFO) have been implicated as protective agents in the cellular dehydration tolerance, especially of many plant seeds...
- Effect of pH on Lactobacillus fermentum growth, raffinose removal, alpha-galactosidase activity and fermentation productsJ G LeBlanc
Centro de Referencia para Lactobacilos CERELA CONICET, Chacabuco 145, San Miguel de Tucuman, 4000 Tucuman, Argentina
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 65:119-23. 2004..Growth was similar under all conditions assayed except at pH 4.5. These microorganisms were able to eliminate raffinose, a nondigestible alpha-oligosaccharide (NDO) found in soy products, showing a consumption rate of 0...
- Induction of sucrose utilization genes from Bifidobacterium lactis by sucrose and raffinoseMarla I Trindade
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:24-32. 2003..In B. lactis, total sucrase activity was induced by the presence of sucrose, raffinose, or oligofructose in the culture medium and was repressed by glucose...
- Cloning, functional expression, and characterization of the raffinose oligosaccharide chain elongation enzyme, galactan:galactan galactosyltransferase, from common bugle leavesEsther M Tapernoux-Lüthi
Institute of Plant Biology, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Plant Physiol 134:1377-87. 2004Galactan:galactan galactosyltransferase (GGT) is a unique enzyme of the raffinose family oligosaccharide (RFO) biosynthetic pathway...
- Transport and metabolism of raffinose family oligosaccharides in transgenic potatoMatthew A Hannah
, D-14424 Potsdam, Germany
J Exp Bot 57:3801-11. 2006b>Raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs) are involved in the storage and transport of carbon and serve as compatible solutes for protection against abiotic stresses like drought or cold...
- Cloning and expression analysis of a UDP-galactose/glucose pyrophosphorylase from melon fruit provides evidence for the major metabolic pathway of galactose metabolism in raffinose oligosaccharide metabolizing plantsNir Dai
Department of Vegetable Research, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, Bet Dagan, 50250, Israel
Plant Physiol 142:294-304. 2006The Cucurbitaceae translocate a significant portion of their photosynthate as raffinose and stachyose, which are galactosyl derivatives of sucrose...
- Transcript and metabolite profiling during cold acclimation of Arabidopsis reveals an intricate relationship of cold-regulated gene expression with modifications in metabolite contentFatma Kaplan
Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, Department of Environmental Horticulture, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Plant J 50:967-81. 2007..The present findings demonstrate that regulatory processes independent of transcript abundance represent a key part of the metabolic adjustments that occur during cold acclimation...
- Assessment of hypolactasia and site-specific intestinal permeability by differential sugar absorption of raffinose, lactose, sucrose and mannitolJan Hessels
Clinical Laboratory, Twenteborg Hospital, Almelo, The Netherlands
Clin Chem Lab Med 41:1056-63. 2003..In this study, we evaluated the utility of raffinose, lactose, sucrose and mannitol as probe sugars and calculated their urinary recovery as a percentage of ingested ..
- O-raffinose cross-linking markedly reduces systemic and renal vasoconstrictor effects of unmodified human hemoglobinW Lieberthal
Renal Division, Evans Department of Medicine, Naval Blood Research Laboratory, Boston University Medical Center, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 288:1278-87. 1999..We compared unmodified hemoglobin with hemoglobin cross-linked with O-raffinose. Unmodified hemoglobin increased systemic vascular resistance and mean arterial pressure more than the O-..
- Suppressive effect of dietary raffinose on T-helper 2 cell-mediated immunityTaizo Nagura
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Nutr 88:421-6. 2002The effects of the dietary oligosaccharide raffinose on immune responses, with special reference to its anti-allergic functions, were examined in vivo...
- Pancreas preservation with University of Wisconsin and Celsior solutions: a single-center, prospective, randomized pilot studyUgo Boggi
Divisione di Chirurgia Generale e Trapianti, Dipartimento di Oncologia, Trapianti e Nuove Tecnologie in Medicina, Universita di Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Transplantation 77:1186-90. 2004..We report the results of a single-center, prospective, randomized pilot study specifically designed to compare the safety profile of Celsior solution with University of Wisconsin (UW) solution in clinical pancreas transplantation...
- Histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution maximally preserves endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor-mediated function during heart preservation: comparison with University of Wisconsin solutionQin Yang
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, and Wuhan Central Hospital, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:352-9. 2004..1 mV, [p = 0.3] vs control). CONCLUSIONS: HTK is superior to UW solution in protecting EDHF-mediated endothelial function in porcine small coronary arteries. The present findings supports the use of HTK solution in heart preservation...
- Comparison of histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution and University of Wisconsin solution for organ preservation in clinical pancreas transplantationJonathan A Fridell
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Transplantation 77:1304-6. 2004..This study assesses the efficacy of histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate (HTK) compared with UW in pancreas transplantation...
- Wash-out of the non-heart-beating donor liver: a matter of flush solution and temperature?Maud Bessems
Surgical Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Liver Int 26:880-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the type of flush solution, temperature and anticoagulant content on the wash-out of the non-heart-beating donor (NHBD) rat liver...
- Impact of organ preservation using HTK for graft flush and subsequent storage in UW in rat kidney transplantationVolker Schmitz
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Eur Surg Res 38:388-98. 2006..Since previous reports have indicated a benefit of combining histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate (HTK) and University of Wisconsin (UW) solution, we evaluated the effects of initial flush with low viscosity HTK, followed by storage in UW...
- Ex-vivo study of flow dynamics and endothelial cell structure during extended hypothermic machine perfusion preservation of liversShailendra Jain
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Science, UNC Charlotte, Charlotte, NC, USA
Cryobiology 48:322-32. 2004..Histological findings confirm these results. As a result, heterogeneous flow pattern, red cell stasis, and edema occur, which may lead to the failure of these tissues following extended HMP...
- Current status and perspective of liver preservation solutionsXiao-Ning Feng
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310003, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 5:490-4. 2006..Protective gene modification and addition of substrates like TNF-alpha antibody, FK506 and FBP are prominent approaches to improve liver preservation...
- Pancreas preservation with University of Wisconsin and Celsior solutionsU Boggi
Divisione di Chirurgia Generale e Trapianti, , Pisa, Italy
Transplant Proc 36:563-5. 2004..0% for UW as compared with 96.4% for Celsior (P = NS). CONCLUSIONS: Within the range of cold ischemia times reported in this study, UW and Celsior solutions have similar safety profiles for pancreas transplantation...
- Comparison of Celsior and University of Wisconsin solutions in cold preservation of liver from octogenarian donorsB Nardo
Department of Surgery and Transplantation, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Transplant Proc 36:523-4. 2004..We compared University of Wisconsin (UW) and CS solutions for the preservation of livers from old donors, with regard to initial function as well as short- and long-term graft and patient survival...
- A new model for human intestinal preservation: comparison of University of Wisconsin and Celsior preservation solutionsA deRoover
Departments of Transplantation and Pathology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Liege, Belgium
Transplant Proc 36:270-2. 2004..We compared University of Wisconsin (UW) and Celsior preservation solutions using a new model of human intestinal preservation that mimics the clinical conditions of small bowel procurement...
- Improved right heart function after myocardial preservation with 2,3-butanedione 2-monoxime in a porcine model of allogenic heart transplantationGregor Warnecke
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 123:81-8. 2002..The increase in volume load and developed right ventricular pressure achieved by BDM application would translate into a decreased risk of right ventricular failure after clinical transplantation...
- Experience with hystidine tryptophan ketoglutarate versus University Wisconsin preservation solutions in transplantationRuben Canelo
Department of Surgery, Hammersmith Hospital, London University Campus, London, UK
Int Surg 88:145-51. 2003..The same conclusion can be taken from the literature analyzed concerning renal transplantation, and in smaller groups of pancreas transplants, similar results were published...
- Coronary oxygen persufflation for heart preservation in pigs: analyses of endothelium and myocytesFerdinand Kuhn-Regnier
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Transplantation 77:28-35. 2004..The aim of the present study was to assess the structural, metabolic, and functional myocardial and endothelial integrity after COP in mature pig hearts...
- Flow and pressure during liver preservation under ex situ and in situ perfusion with University of Wisconsin solution and histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solutionC Moench
Department of Transplantation and Hepatobiliarypancreatic Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Eur Surg Res 39:175-81. 2007..No major differences between HTK and UW solutions could be detected. Therefore, an additional ex situ perfusion of the hepatic artery should be mandatory in every liver procurement...
- Pancreas preservation with the University of Wisconsin versus Celsior solutionsA Manrique
Servicio de Cirugia General, Ap Digestivo y Trasplante de Organos Abdominales, Hospital Universitario Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Transplant Proc 38:2582-4. 2006..The use of Celsior solution for organ preservation has not been thoroughly studied in pancreas transplantation. The aim of this study was to compare University of Wisconsin and Celsior solutions for preservation of pancreas grafts...
- Preservation of the liver graft with Celsior solutionF A Garcia-Gil
Liver Transplant Unit, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, Zaragoza, Spain
Transplant Proc 38:2385-8. 2006..We studied the evolution of the liver graft with preservation in Celsior (CS) compared with University of Wisconsin solution (UW)...
- Evidence for a mitochondrial impact of trimetazidine during cold ischemia and reperfusionHerve Baumert
INSERM ERM 324, Poitiers, Département de Génétique Animale, Institut National de Recherche Agronomique, Domaine du Magneraud, Surgeres, and Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire, Hopital Jean Bernard, Poitiers, France
Pharmacology 71:25-37. 2004..Mitochondria integrity was improved in TMZ-preserved groups. This study indicates that TMZ is efficiently protective against IRI even after prolonged preservation and in different preservation solutions...
- Pronlonged hypothermic machine perfusion preserves hepatocellular function but potentiates endothelial cell dysfunction in rat liversHongzhi Xu
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Transplantation 77:1676-82. 2004....
- A comparative prospective study of two available solutions for kidney and liver preservationPaola Pedotti
Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology Unit-IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Milano, Italy
Transplantation 77:1540-5. 2004..In LT patients, biliary function recovery is significantly better in the CEL group. CEL solution represents an efficacious option in multiorgan harvesting...
- Short-term ischaemic storage of human uterine myometrium--basic studies towards uterine transplantationC Almén Wranning
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Sweden
Hum Reprod 20:2736-44. 2005..Transplantation of the uterus has been suggested as a possible future treatment of absolute uterine infertility. The tolerability of human uterine tissue to cold ischaemic storage was tested in the present study...
- Experimental small bowel preservation using Polysol: a new alternative to University of Wisconsin solution, Celsior and histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution?Lai Wei
House of Experimental Therapy, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 13:3684-91. 2007....
- Ischemic type biliary lesions in histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate (HTK) preserved liver graftsC Moench
Department of Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Int J Artif Organs 29:329-34. 2006..We suggest that low viscosity of the preservation fluid by itself does not guarantee reliable perfusion of the small arteries of a liver graft and a pressure perfusion might be beneficial even in HTK solution...
- Histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution vs. University of Wisconsin solution for liver transplantation: a systematic reviewLi Feng
Key Laboratory of Transplant Engineering and Immunology, Ministry of Health, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, PR China
Liver Transpl 13:1125-36. 2007..Adequately powered RCTs with longer follow-up periods are required to evaluate the long-term effect of these 2 solutions...
- Improved viability and reduced apoptosis in sub-zero 21-hour preservation of transplanted rat hearts using anti-freeze proteinsGabriel Amir
Heart Transplantation Unit, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:1915-29. 2005..We sought to evaluate and compare the effects of prolonged sub-zero cryopreservation of transplanted rat hearts using AFP I or AFP III...
- 24-h storage of pig livers in UW, HTK, hydroxyethyl starch, and saline solution: is microdialysis an appropriate method for the continuous graft monitoring during preservation?Gero Puhl
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Charite Campus Virchow Klinikum, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Transpl Int 19:303-9. 2006..Whether or not glycerol monitoring could represent an additional and rational complementation to the current practice of macroscopic, microscopic and donor evaluation has to be clarified by further studies...
- Oxygenated machine perfusion preservation of predamaged kidneys with HTK and Belzer machine perfusion solution: an experimental study in pigsS Manekeller
Division of Surgical Research, University Hospital of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Transplant Proc 37:3274-5. 2005..In conclusion, provision of oxygen during storage is possible by low-flow perfusion with HTK as with Belzer MPS...
- Inherent toxicity of organ preservation solutions to cultured hepatocytesUrsula Rauen
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstr 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Cryobiology 56:88-92. 2008..These potential toxicities should be taken into account in the development of future preservation solutions...
- Comparison of histidine-tryptophan ketoglutarate solution and University of Wisconsin solution in prolonged cold preservation of kidney allograftsAvinash Agarwal
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Transplantation 81:480-2. 2006..This data suggests that UW and HTK have at least similar efficacy in kidney preservation at longer ischemic times...
- Comparison of histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate and University of Wisconsin preservation in renal transplantationR J Lynch
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Transplant 8:567-73. 2008..Prolonged preservation with HTK compared to UW was not associated with excess risk to the graft or patient. In summary, HTK demonstrated efficacy similar to UW in terms of patient and graft survival...
- Solutions for organ perfusion and storage: haemorheologic aspectsP Panzera
Department of General Surgery and Liver Transplantation, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Transplant Proc 37:2456-8. 2005..DISCUSSION: CS and CU solutions do not aggregate erythrocytes, whereas Wisconsin does massively. CU causes an alteration of RBC cellular membrane as demonstrated by depletion of AChE...
- Calcium-supplemented University of Wisconsin solution in long-term myocardial preservationLourdes Alvarez-Ayuso
Department of Experimental Surgery, Puerta de Hierro University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Histol Histopathol 23:1103-10. 2008..Thus, under the experimental conditions employed in this study, we consider the addition of calcium to Wisconsin solution to be unadvisable...
- Loss of endothelium-dependent relaxation in abdominal aorta preserved in a co-storage systemJane M Knes
Division of Transplantation Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Transpl Int 17:699-706. 2005..We conclude that parenchymal cells exude factors during preservation by cold storage which reversibly inhibit vascular NO production. These factors could significantly impair whole organ function on reperfusion...
- UW is superior to Celsior and HTK in the protection of human liver endothelial cells against preservation injuryHermann Janssen
Klinik für Allgemein und Transplantationschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Liver Transpl 10:1514-23. 2004..In conclusion, our cell culture model reveals the order of efficacy to protect HLEC against preservation injury as: UW >> CS > HTK...
- Suppression of cold ischemic injury in stored kidneys by the antimicrobial peptide bactenecinJonathan F McAnulty
Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Wisconsin, 2015 Linden Dr, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Cryobiology 49:230-40. 2004..Current evidence best supports the hypothesis that bactenecin protects against cold ischemic injury by a controlled permeabilization of the membranes of the kidney during cold storage...
- The influence of short-term fasting on the quality of small bowel graft preservationPayam Salehi
Surgical-Medical Research Institute, 1074 Dentistry-Pharmacy Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2N8
Cryobiology 50:83-92. 2005..Poorer donor nutritional status does not affect energetics throughout storage, but causes mucosal injury as a result of increased oxidative stress, even after a brief period of donor fasting...
- Kidney transplantation from non-heart-beating donors after oxygenated low-flow machine perfusion preservation with histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solutionThomas Minor
Surgical Research Division, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127, Bonn, Germany
Transpl Int 17:707-12. 2005..In conclusion, provision of oxygen during storage is possible by low-flow perfusion with HTK as with Belzer MPS and apparently improves graft viability after transplantation...
- Improvement of the cold storage of blood vessels with a vascular preservation solution. Study in porcine aortic segmentsTimo Wille
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Essen, Germany
J Vasc Surg 47:422-31. 2008..Hypothesizing that this iron-dependent cold-induced injury might also occur in the endothelium of intact vessels, we here set out to optimize the hypothermic storage of blood vessels...
- The UW solution has greater potential for longer preservation periods than the Celsior solution: comparative study for ventricular and coronary endothelial function after 24-h heart preservationNoriyoshi Kajihara
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8582, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:784-9. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: The UW group showed better left ventricular function than the Celsior group, indicating that the UW solution has greater potential for long-term preservation than Celsior solution...
- Testing combinations of protease inhibitor and preservation solution to improve islet quality and yieldI H Al-Abdullah
City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Transplant Proc 40:390-2. 2008..We hypothesized that using both TLM and Pefabloc could enhance islet yield as compared with preservation in University of Wisconsin (UW) or Histidine-Tryptophan Ketoglutarate (HTK) solution...
- Organ preservation with histidine-tryptophan ketogluatarate solution in clinical pancreas transplantation: an update of the indiana university experienceA Agarwal
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Transplant Proc 40:498-501. 2008..Serum fasting blood glucose and serial amylase remained comparable at all intervals posttransplantation to those of a historical UW cohort. Within this range of cold ischemia times, HTK appears to provide effective pancreas preservation...
- Oxygenated machine perfusion mitigates surface antigen expression and improves preservation of predamaged donor liversHolger Lauschke
Surgical Research Division, University Clinic of Surgery, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53127, Bonn, FRG
Cryobiology 46:53-60. 2003..In this setup HTK appeared equally effective as Belzer's MPS for machine preservation...
- Cold preservation-warm reperfusion perturbs cytosolic calcium ion homeostasis in rat liver sinusoidal endothelial cellsStéphanie Auger
Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Liver Transpl 9:150-9. 2003..Cold preservation does not significantly affect changes in SEC steady-state Ca(2+) levels, but greatly impairs the capacity of SECs to subsequently respond to Ca(2+)-mobilizing agonists...
- Comparative study of Celsior and Belzer solutions for hepatic graft preservation: preliminary resultsC Lama
Liver Transplant Unit, C.S.U. Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
Transplant Proc 34:54-5. 2002
- Evaluation of rat liver apoptotic and necrotic cell death after cold storage using UW, HTK, and CelsiorIrene H Straatsburg
Surgical Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Transplantation 74:458-64. 2002..After 24-hr cold storage, rat livers were best preserved in UW. Furthermore, there was no significant difference in mode of cell death (apoptosis or oncotic necrosis) after storage in any of the three solutions...
- Pathomorphologic and microcirculatory changes and endothelin-1 expression in UW-and Celsior-preserved pancreata in experimental pancreas transplantationS Ludwig
Department of Surgery II, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Transplant Proc 34:2364-5. 2002
- Biochemical and morphological changes in pancreas stored under hypothermic conditionsA Kinasiewicz
Department of General and Transplantation Surgery, Medical University of Warsaw, 59 Nowogrodzka Street, 02-006 Warsaw, Poland
Transplant Proc 34:655-6. 2002
- Glutathione, lactobionate, and histidine: cryptic inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases contained in University of Wisconsin and histidine/tryptophan/ketoglutarate liver preservation solutionsG A Upadhya
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Hepatology 31:1115-22. 2000..Furthermore, GSH appears to be an effective inhibitor of gelatinases at concentrations at which it is normally present in extracellular fluid...
- Tolerance of the porcine pancreas to warm and cold ischemia: comparison between University of Wisconsin and histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solutionR Troisi
Department of General and Transplantation Surgery, Gent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Transplant Proc 34:820-2. 2002
- Evaluation of the vascular permeability after 12-hour preservation of rabbit lungs in HTK solutionJ L Arreola
, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mexico
Transplant Proc 34:1105-7. 2002
- Comparison of solutions for preservation of the rabbit liver as tested by isolated perfusionG den Butter
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53792, USA
Transpl Int 8:466-71. 1995..We conclude that solutions simpler in composition than UW solution may be effective in kidney transplantation but do not appear suitable for successful liver preservation...
- Comparison of UW and Celsior solutions in experimental liver preservation by assessment of alpha-glutathione sulfotransferaseP Cascales
Department of Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, , San Juan, Alicante, Spain
Transplant Proc 34:53. 2002
- May preservation solution affect the incidence of graft vasculopathy in transplanted heart?Miroslaw Garlicki
Cardiac Surgery Dept, Central Clinical Hospital, Ministry of Administration and Internal Affairs, Warsaw, Poland
Ann Transplant 8:19-24. 2003..01). In this study Celsior allowed for better post transplant heart recovery and accounted for less incidence of vasculopathy and chronic rejection in the midterm follow-up...
- Hypothermic machine perfusion of liver grafts for transplantation: technical development in human discard and miniature swine modelsJ V Guarrera
Department of Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York 10032, USA
Transplant Proc 37:323-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to develop a reproducible technique for liver HMP prior to initiating a clinical trial...
- The effect of Celsior solution on 12-hour cardiac preservation in comparison with University of Wisconsin solutionJ Mohara
Second Department of Surgery, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 42:187-92. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: We conclude from our study that the Celsior solution is comparable to the University of Wisconsin solution for use in 12-hour heart preservation in canine models...
- Low potassium dextran lung preservation solution reduces reactive oxygen species productionRosemary F Kelly
Department of Surgery, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1705-10. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate the impact that potassium concentration in lung preservation solutions had on pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cell depolarization and production of reactive oxygen species...
- Engraftment and function of intrasplenically transplanted cold stored rat hepatocytesSilvana V Spinelli
, , , Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina
Cell Transplant 11:161-8. 2002....
- Induction of necrosis and DNA fragmentation during hypothermic preservation of hepatocytes in UW, HTK, and Celsior solutionsSalomon L Abrahamse
Departments of Surgery (Surgical Laboratory, Academic Medical Center, The University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cell Transplant 12:59-68. 2003..With respect to necrosis and DNA fragmentation of hypothermically preserved cells, UW and Celsior were superior to PBS and HTK solutions in this model of isolated porcine hepatocyte preservation...
- In vitro function of porcine carotid arteries preserved in UW, HTK and Celsior solutionsS T L Abrahamse
Department of Surgery (Surgical Laboratory, Academic Medical Center, The University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 16:503-11. 2002....
- Deregulation of iron homeostasis and cold-preservation injury to rat liver stored in University of Wisconsin solutionSamuel Wyllie
Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery, The Methodist Hospital/Baylor College of Medicine Liver Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Liver Transpl 9:401-10. 2003....
- Aspergillus nidulans alpha-galactosidase of glycoside hydrolase family 36 catalyses the formation of alpha-galacto-oligosaccharides by transglycosylationHiroyuki Nakai
Enzyme and Protein Chemistry, Department of Systems Biology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
FEBS J 277:3538-51. 2010..with alpha-(1-->6) regioselectivity from 40 mm 4-nitrophenol alpha-d-galactopyranoside, melibiose or raffinose, resulting in a 37-74% yield of 4-nitrophenol alpha-D-Galp-(1-->6)-D-Galp, alpha-D-Galp-(1-->6)-alpha-D-Galp-(1--..
- Determination of carbohydrates, sugar alcohols, and glycols in cell cultures and fermentation broths using high-performance anion-exchange chromatography with pulsed amperometric detectionV P Hanko
Dionex Corporation, 500 Mercury Drive, Sunnyvale, California, 94088 3603, USA
Anal Biochem 283:192-9. 2000..erythritol, rhamnose, arabitol, sorbitol, galactitol, mannitol, arabinose, glucose, galactose, lactose, ribose, raffinose, and maltose spiked into a heat-inactivated yeast culture broth supernatant that was analyzed repetitively for ..
- Catabolite repression and inducer control in Gram-positive bacteriaM H Saier
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0116, USA
Microbiology 142:217-30. 1996..Targets regulated include (1) permeases specific for lactose, maltose, melibiose and raffinose, (2) catabolic enzymes such as glycerol kinase that generate cytoplasmic inducers, and (3) the cAMP biosynthetic ..
- Purification and physicochemical characterization of a cotyledonary lectin from Luetzelburgia auriculataJose T A Oliveira
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Caixa Postal 6020, CEP 60451 970, CE, Fortaleza, Brazil
Phytochemistry 61:301-10. 2002..5 mM D-lactose or D-melibiose, 50 mM D-galactose or raffinose. Its hemagglutinating activity was lost at 80 degrees C, 5 min, and the activation energy required for ..
- Genetic relationships among avian isolates classified as Pasteurella haemolytica, 'Actinobacillus salpingitidis' or Pasteurella anatis with proposal of Gallibacterium anatis gen. nov., comb. nov. and description of additional genomospecies within GallibacHenrik Christensen
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Stigbøjlen 4, DK 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 53:275-87. 2003..D-ribose, (+)D-xylose, (-)D-mannitol, (-)D-fructose, (+)D-galactose, (+)D-glucose, (+)D-mannose, sucrose and raffinose. The genus Gallibacterium can be separated from other genera of Pasteurellaceae by differences in catalass, ..
- Separation of motile populations of spermatozoa prior to freezing is beneficial for subsequent fertilization in vitro: a study with various mouse strainsMonika A Szczygiel
Institute for Biogenesis Research, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii Medical School, 1960 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Biol Reprod 67:287-92. 2002..Dulbecco PBS was used for sperm separation on Sephadex, 18% raffinose, and 3% skim milk for cryopreservation; T6 medium for IVF; and mKSOM(AA) for embryo culture...
- Serratia marcescens infection associated with early abortion in cows and buffaloesA M Das
Department of Bacteriology, Bombay Veterinary College, Parel, India
Epidemiol Infect 101:143-9. 1988..the isolates produced prodigiosin, and two of the isolates from buffaloes were atypical in that they fermented raffinose. O-serological, bacteriophage and bacteriocin typing revealed four different strains...
- [Cloning and expression of arom gene of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum]Han ying Yu
Department of Life Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin 150001, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 46:43-7. 2006..cerevisiae was low. Subsequently, the transformant activated by the SC-U medium containing 2% raffinose was inoculated into the SC-U medium containing 2% galactose and the SC-U medium containing 2% glucose ..
- The role of protein kinase A in anaerobic energy production during liver storageT A Churchill
Surgical Medical Research Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Hepatol 32:473-80. 2000....
- Topology of allosteric regulation of lactose permeaseY J Seok
Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 4036, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:13515-9. 1997..The binding is stimulated by transportable substrates such as lactose, melibiose, and raffinose, but not by sugars that are not transported (maltose and sucrose)...
- Reclassification of Xanthomonas campestris pv. citri (ex Hasse 1915) Dye 1978 forms A, B/C/D, and E as X. smithii subsp. citri (ex Hasse) sp. nov. nom. rev. comb. nov., X. fuscans subsp. aurantifolii (ex Gabriel 1989) sp. nov. nom. rev. comb. nov., and X.Norman W Schaad
ARS USDA, Foreign Disease Weed Science Research Unit, 1301 Ditto Ave, Ft Detrick, MD 21702, USA
Syst Appl Microbiol 28:494-518. 2005..Taxon I strains hydrolyze pectate (pH 7.0) whereas Taxon II strains do not. Taxon III strains utilize raffinose whereas Taxon I strains do not. Each taxon can be differentiated by serology and pathogenicity...
- Substrate Selection in Homologous Bacterial TransportersManuel Varela; Fiscal Year: 2004..coli (LacY) also confer sugar selection in homologous transporters for melibiose (MelY), raffinose (RafB) and sucrose (CseB)...
- Heptocellular Response to CryopreservationMehmet Toner; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed studies will be carried out using several key sugars including trehalose, sucrose, raffinose, stachyose, and mixtures thereof...
- Model of Transport in Renal Medullary MicrovasculatureAURELIE EDWARDS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Permeability of DVR to sodium and raffinose varies with perfusion rate; this dependence may be mediated by NO generation...
- VASOMOTOR CONTROL OF DESCENDING VASA RECTATHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will determine the role of VOCC and nonselective cation channels in Angll signaling and test a role for protein kinase C in their activation. ..
- Factors affecting ice formation in cells and their relevance to cryopreservationPeter Mazur; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- MECHANISMS OF MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIC INJURY IN DIABETESJudy Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- MECHANISMS OF MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIC INJURY IN DIABETESJudy R Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Dissection of a Motor Central Pattern GeneratorJOHN BOUGHTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Comparison of the genes and mechanisms underlying stereotyped repetitive movements versus plastic behaviors will be a source of information relevant for a number of human CMS disorders involving abnormal repetitive movements. ..
- The Transporter Classification Database (TCDB)Milton Saier; Fiscal Year: 2007..6) Develop approaches that will allow integration of the different lines of functional information revealed in specific aims #4 and 5. ..
- The Transporter Classification Database (TCDB)Milton Saier; Fiscal Year: 2009..6) Develop approaches that will allow integration of the different lines of functional information revealed in specific aims #4 and 5. ..
- Factors affecting ice formation in cells and their relevance to cryopreservationPeter Mazur; Fiscal Year: 2007..The final goal will be to use the mechanistic data on IIF to devise better methods of avoiding it and thus improve success in the cryopreservation of cells that currently can not be well cryopreserved. ..
- Factors affecting ice formation in cells and their relevance to cryopreservationPeter Mazur; Fiscal Year: 2009..The final goal will be to use the mechanistic data on IIF to devise better methods of avoiding it and thus improve success in the cryopreservation of cells that currently can not be well cryopreserved. ..
- SENSORY CODING IN TASTEJOHN BOUGHTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..These experiments test the hypothesis that there are differences in voltage- activated conductances and cell morphology between neurons projecting to the VPMpc and the CeA. ..
- Sugars as Novel Cryoprotectants for Primate OocytesAli Eroglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..We predict that the proposed research will result in a reliable preservation technique for primate oocytes by circumventing many of the difficulties associated with conventional protocols. ..
- AQUAPORINS, ICE FORMATION IN CELLS,/CRYOPRESERVATIONPeter Mazur; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- CYROBIOLOGICAL PRESERVATION OF ANOPHELES EMBRYOSPeter Mazur; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such a mutant has been isolated in a related species, Anopheles quadrimaculatus. We also propose to collaborate with the Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases at NIH in the cryopreservation of A gambiae larvae. ..
- ATP DEPENDENT PROTEIN KINASES IN GRAM POSITIVE BACTERIAMilton Saier; Fiscal Year: 2000..The knowledge gained should be applicable to the control of pathogenic bacteria. The protein kinase-mediated regulatory processes under study are expected to be relevant to analogous processes in eukaryotic organisms. ..
- MICROVASCULAR TRANSPORT IN THE RENAL MEDULLATHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Exchange of albumin and middle molecular weight solutes will also be simulated. ..
- MECHANISMS OF MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIC INJURY IN DIABETESJudy Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, this proposal will delineate mechanisms responsible for the adverse consequences of diabetes and hyperglycemia during myocardial ischemia using an integrated approach of in vivo and cellular techniques. ..
- Calcium Signaling in Vasa Recta EndotheliumTHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will test whether DVR contractions to norepinephrine, Angll and KCI are increased, measure NO production and assess effects of OH on endothelial and pericyte Ca2+ signaling. ..
- ATP-DEPENDENT PROTEIN KINASES IN GRAM-POSITIVE BACTERIAMilton Saier; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Bitter Taste: Physiology and BehaviorJOHN BOUGHTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..By examining these strain differences in receptor cell function, these studies should help to link ongoing molecular advances to the neural mechanisms underlying bitter taste function. ..
- VASOMOTOR CONTROL OF DESCENDING VASA RECTATHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will identify molecular mechanisms by which Slc11a1 modulates liver I/R injury, and will provide a novel target for therapeutic intervention in I/R-mediated organ injury. ..