Genomes and Genes
Summary: A nonreducing disaccharide composed of GLUCOSE and FRUCTOSE linked via their anomeric carbons. It is obtained commercially from SUGARCANE, sugar beet (BETA VULGARIS), and other plants and used extensively as a food and a sweetener.
Publications285 found, 100 shown here
- Sucrose efflux mediated by SWEET proteins as a key step for phloem transportLi Qing Chen
Carnegie Institution for Science, 260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 335:207-11. 2012Plants transport fixed carbon predominantly as sucrose, which is produced in mesophyll cells and imported into phloem cells for translocation throughout the plant...
- Membrane-transport systems for sucrose in relation to whole-plant carbon partitioningBrian G Ayre
University of North Texas, Department of Biological Sciences, Denton, Texas, USA
Mol Plant 4:377-94. 2011b>Sucrose is the principal product of photosynthesis used for the distribution of assimilated carbon in plants...
- Impaired function of the tonoplast-localized sucrose transporter in rice, OsSUT2, limits the transport of vacuolar reserve sucrose and affects plant growthJoon Seob Eom
Graduate School of Biotechnology and Plant Metabolism Research Center, Kyung Hee University, Yongin 446 701, Korea
Plant Physiol 157:109-19. 2011Physiological functions of sucrose (Suc) transporters (SUTs) localized to the tonoplast in higher plants are poorly understood. We here report the isolation and characterization of a mutation in the rice (Oryza sativa) OsSUT2 gene...
- Sucrose transporters of higher plantsChristina Kuhn
Humboldt University of Berlin, Institute of Biology, Department of Plant Physiology, Philippstrasse 13, Building 12, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Curr Opin Plant Biol 13:288-98. 2010Recent advances have provided new insights into how sucrose is moved from sites of synthesis to sites of utilisation or storage in sink organs...
- Sucrose utilization in budding yeast as a model for the origin of undifferentiated multicellularityJohn H Koschwanez
FAS Center for Systems Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Biol 9:e1001122. 2011..Yeast cells can cooperate by secreting invertase, an enzyme that digests sucrose into monosaccharides, and many wild isolates are multicellular because cell walls remain attached to each other ..
- Inhibition of orexin-1/hypocretin-1 receptors inhibits yohimbine-induced reinstatement of ethanol and sucrose seeking in Long-Evans ratsJemma K Richards
Ernest Gallo Clinic and Research Center, University of California San Francisco, 5858 Horton Street, Suite 200, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 199:109-17. 2008..In the current study, we examined the role of orexin-1/hypocretin-1 receptors in operant self-administration of ethanol and sucrose and in yohimbine-induced reinstatement of ethanol and sucrose seeking.
- Proton-driven sucrose symport and antiport are provided by the vacuolar transporters SUC4 and TMT1/2Alexander Schulz
University of Wuerzburg, Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology and Biophysics, Julius von Sachs Platz 2, D 97082 Wuerzburg, Germany
Plant J 68:129-36. 2011..Some members of the SUC family are plasma membrane proton/sucrose symporters...
- The sucrose transporter family in Populus: the importance of a tonoplast PtaSUT4 to biomass and carbon partitioningRaja S Payyavula
School of Forest Resources and Environmental Sciences, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI 49931, USA
Plant J 65:757-70. 2011Plasma membrane, proton-coupled Group II sucrose symporters (SUT) mediate apoplastic phloem loading and sucrose efflux from source leaves in Arabidopsis and agricultural crop species that have been studied to date...
- The effects of long-term honey, sucrose or sugar-free diets on memory and anxiety in ratsLynne M Chepulis
Department of Biological Sciences, Waikato University, Hamilton, New Zealand
Physiol Behav 97:359-68. 2009b>Sucrose is considered by many to be detrimental to health, giving rise to deterioration of the body associated with ageing...
- The Arabidopsis plastid-signalling mutant gun1 (genomes uncoupled1) shows altered sensitivity to sucrose and abscisic acid and alterations in early seedling developmentAmanda Cottage
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EA, UK
J Exp Bot 61:3773-86. 2010..gun1 seedlings accumulated less anthocyanin than wild-type seedlings when grown in the presence of 2% (w/v) sucrose, due to lower amounts of transcripts of early anthocyanin biosynthesis genes in gun1...
- The orexin₁ receptor antagonist SB-334867 dissociates the motivational properties of alcohol and sucrose in ratsBianca Jupp
Florey Neuroscience Institutes, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Brain Res 1391:54-9. 2011..schedules of reinforcement, and whether this differs from the motivation to administer a natural food reward, sucrose (0.2-0.7% w/v) in alcohol preferring (iP) rats...
- Involvement of AMP-activated protein kinase in beneficial effects of betaine on high-sucrose diet-induced hepatic steatosisZhenyuan Song
Dept of Medicine, Univ of Louisville Medical Center, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G894-902. 2007..In this study, we examined the effects of betaine on fat accumulation in the liver induced by high-sucrose diet and evaluated mechanisms by which betaine could attenuate or prevent hepatic steatosis in this model...
- Role of ghrelin in food reward: impact of ghrelin on sucrose self-administration and mesolimbic dopamine and acetylcholine receptor gene expressionKarolina P Skibicka
Department of Physiology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Addict Biol 17:95-107. 2012..for natural sugar reward by examining the role of ghrelin receptor (GHS-R1A) stimulation and blockade for sucrose progressive ratio operant conditioning, a procedure used to measure motivational drive to obtain a reward...
- MAPMAN: a user-driven tool to display genomics data sets onto diagrams of metabolic pathways and other biological processesOliver Thimm
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Golm, Germany
Plant J 37:914-39. 2004....
- Sucrose synthase is an integral component of the cellulose synthesis machinerySatoshi Fujii
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Osaka, 560 0043 Japan f
Plant Cell Physiol 51:294-301. 2010..to as the catalytic unit of cellulose synthesis, was enriched with a 78 kDa polypeptide which was verified as sucrose synthase like by mass spectrometry and immunoblotting...
- Temporal analysis of sucrose-induced phosphorylation changes in plasma membrane proteins of ArabidopsisTotte Niittyla
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:1711-26. 2007b>Sucrose is the main product of photosynthesis and the most common transport form of carbon in plants. In addition, sucrose is a compound that serves as a signal affecting metabolic flux and development...
- Sucrose induction of Arabidopsis miR398 represses two Cu/Zn superoxide dismutasesDiana V Dugas
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005, USA
Plant Mol Biol 67:403-17. 2008..Here we show that miR398 is positively regulated by sucrose, resulting in decreased CSD1 and CSD2 mRNA and protein accumulation...
- Intake of sucrose-sweetened water induces insulin resistance and exacerbates memory deficits and amyloidosis in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer diseaseDongfeng Cao
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
J Biol Chem 282:36275-82. 2007..In the present study, we provided 10% sucrose-sweetened water to a transgenic mouse model of AD with a normal rodent diet...
- Hexoses as phloem transport sugars: the end of a dogma?Aart J E van Bel
Plant Cell Biology Research Group, Institute of General Botany, Justus Liebig University, Senckenbergstrasse 17, D 35390 Giessen, Germany
J Exp Bot 59:261-72. 2008According to most textbooks, only non-reducing carbohydrate species such as sucrose, sugar alcohols, and raffinose-family sugars function as phloem translocates...
- Sugarcane for bioenergy production: an assessment of yield and regulation of sucrose contentAlessandro J Waclawovsky
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Av Prof Lineu Prestes, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Plant Biotechnol J 8:263-76. 2010..The most important biofuel to date is bioethanol produced from sugars (sucrose and starch)...
- Transport of Poly(n-butylcyano-acrylate) nanoparticles across the blood-brain barrier in vitro and their influence on barrier integrityRalf Rempe
Department of Biochemistry, University of Muenster, Wilhelm Klemm Strasse 2, D 48149 Muenster, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 406:64-9. 2011..the integrity of the BBB in vitro was verified by measuring the passage of the reference substances (14)C-sucrose and FITC-BSA after addition of PBCA-NP...
- A new subfamily of sucrose transporters, SUT4, with low affinity/high capacity localized in enucleate sieve elements of plantsA Weise
Plant Physiology, Zentrum für Molekularbiologie der Pflanzen, University of Tubingen, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Plant Cell 12:1345-55. 2000A new subfamily of sucrose transporters from Arabidopsis (AtSUT4), tomato (LeSUT4), and potato (StSUT4) was isolated, demonstrating only 47% similarity to the previously characterized SUT1...
- Strain differences in sucrose preference and in the consequences of unpredictable chronic mild stressStéphanie Pothion
Key Obs SA, Parc Technologique, 3 allée du Titane, 16 rue Leonard de Vinci, 45100 Orleans, France
Behav Brain Res 155:135-46. 2004..These strains were chosen among 11 strains that were tested in a first experiment for their sucrose consumption and preference for sucrose solutions of different concentrations...
- Sucrose-mediated priming of plant defense responses and broad-spectrum disease resistance by overexpression of the maize pathogenesis-related PRms protein in rice plantsJorge Gómez-Ariza
Departamento de Genetica Molecular, Laboratório de Genética Molecular Vegetal, Consorcio CSIC IRTA, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:832-42. 2007..We also have found that sucrose accumulates at higher levels in leaves of PRms plants...
- The potato sucrose transporter StSUT1 interacts with a DRM-associated protein disulfide isomeraseUndine Krügel
Institute of Biology, Department of Plant Physiology, Humboldt University, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Mol Plant 5:43-62. 2012..We used the yeast two-hybrid split ubiquitin system (SUS) to systematically screen for interaction between the sucrose transporter StSUT1 and other membrane-associated or soluble proteins in vivo...
- Starch synthesis in potato tubers is regulated by post-translational redox modification of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase: a novel regulatory mechanism linking starch synthesis to the sucrose supplyAxel Tiessen
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Plant Cell 14:2191-213. 2002..Furthermore, activation of AGPase resulted in a stimulation of starch synthesis and decreased levels of glycolytic intermediates...
- Functional analysis of sucrose phosphate synthase (SPS) and sucrose synthase (SS) in sugarcane (Saccharum) cultivarsA K Verma
U P Council of Sugarcane Research, Shahjahanpur, India
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 13:325-32. 2011b>Sucrose phosphate synthase (SPS; EC 126.96.36.199) and sucrose synthase (SS; EC 188.8.131.52) are key enzymes in the synthesis and breakdown of sucrose in sugarcane...
- Differential patterns of reactive oxygen species and antioxidative mechanisms during atrazine injury and sucrose-induced tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana plantletsFanny Ramel
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite de Rennes I, UMR 6553 Ecobio, Campus de Beaulieu, Bâtiment 14A, F 35042, Rennes Cedex, France
BMC Plant Biol 9:28. 2009..b>Sucrose has been shown to confer to Arabidopsis seedlings a high level of tolerance to the herbicide atrazine, which ..
- Daylength and circadian effects on starch degradation and maltose metabolismYan Lu
Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Plant Physiol 138:2280-91. 2005..Light is necessary for the cycling of transcript levels and maltose levels. Under continuous darkness, these genes were barely expressed, and no cycling of maltose levels was observed...
- Gr64f is required in combination with other gustatory receptors for sugar detection in DrosophilaYuchen Jiao
Department of Biological Chemistry, Department of Neuroscience, Center for Sensory Biology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Curr Biol 18:1797-801. 2008..Disruption of Gr5a prevents the detection of trehalose [1-3], whereas mutation of Gr64a impairs the responses to sucrose, maltose, and glucose [4, 5]...
- Varenicline, an alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor partial agonist, selectively decreases ethanol consumption and seekingPia Steensland
Ernest Gallo Clinic and Research Center, University of California, San Francisco, 5858 Horton Street, Suite 200, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:12518-23. 2007..administration of varenicline, in doses reported to reduce nicotine reward, selectively reduced ethanol but not sucrose seeking using an operant self-administration drinking paradigm and also decreased voluntary ethanol but not water ..
- Sucrose transporter NtSUT4 from tobacco BY-2 involved in plant cell shape during miniprotoplast cultureEmiko Okubo-Kurihara
Department of Integrated Biosciences, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Kashiwanoha 5 1 5, Kashiwa, Chiba, 277 8562, Japan
J Plant Res 124:395-403. 2011b>Sucrose plays an important role in several cellular processes since it is a general source of metabolic energy, serves as a precursor for starch and cellulose synthesis, and is a metabolic starting point for carboxylate- and amino acid ..
- Downregulation of pyrophosphate: D-fructose-6-phosphate 1-phosphotransferase activity in sugarcane culms enhances sucrose accumulation due to elevated hexose-phosphate levelsMargaretha J van der Merwe
Institute of Plant Biotechnology, University of Stellenbosch, Merriman Avenue, Stellenbosch 7602, South Africa
Planta 231:595-608. 2010..In three independent transgenic lines, sucrose concentrations increased between three- and sixfold in immature internodes, compared to the levels in the ..
- Restricted access to food, but not sucrose, saccharine, or salt, synchronizes the expression of Period2 protein in the limbic forebrainE Waddington Lamont
Center for Studies in Behavioral Neurobiology, Department of Psychology, Concordia University, SP 244, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neuroscience 144:402-11. 2007..Daily limited access to sucrose or saccharine in freely fed rats or scheduled access to saline in sodium-deprived rats had no effect on these ..
- Sucrose metabolism: regulatory mechanisms and pivotal roles in sugar sensing and plant developmentKaren Koch
Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, Horticultural Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 7:235-46. 2004b>Sucrose cleavage is vital to multicellular plants, not only for the allocation of crucial carbon resources but also for the initiation of hexose-based sugar signals in importing structures...
- Alterations of sucrose preference after Roux-en-Y gastric bypassM Bueter
Department of Investigative Medicine, Imperial Weight Centre, Imperial College London, London, UK
Physiol Behav 104:709-21. 2011..This study aimed to further investigate alterations in sweet food intake in rats and sucrose detection in humans after gastric bypass...
- Protection of SH-SY5Y neuronal cells from glutamate-induced apoptosis by 3,6'-disinapoyl sucrose, a bioactive compound isolated from Radix PolygalaYuan Hu
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Center of Pharmacy, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
J Biomed Biotechnol 2012:1-5. 2012The neuroprotective effects of 3,6'-disinapoyl sucrose (DISS) from Radix Polygala against glutamate-induced SH-SY5Y neuronal cells injury were evaluated in the present study...
- The circadian oscillator gene GIGANTEA mediates a long-term response of the Arabidopsis thaliana circadian clock to sucroseNeil Dalchau
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EA, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:5104-9. 2011..Here we report sensitivity of the Arabidopsis thaliana circadian oscillator to sucrose, providing evidence that plant metabolism can regulate circadian function...
- Intracerebroventricular administration of HIV-1 Tat induces brain cytokine and indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase expression: a possible mechanism for AIDS comorbid depressionMarcus A Lawson
Neuroscience Program University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Brain Behav Immun 25:1569-75. 2011..Furthermore, adult C57BL/6J mice injected with Tat and tested in a two-bottle 1% sucrose preference test displayed reduced preference for sucrose during the 24 h post-injection period...
- Sucrose metabolism contributes to in vivo fitness of Streptococcus pneumoniaeRamkumar Iyer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02110, USA
Mol Microbiol 66:1-13. 2007We characterized two sucrose-metabolizing systems -sus and scr- and describe their roles in the physiology and virulence of Streptococcus pneumoniae in murine models of carriage and pneumonia...
- Sensing embolism in xylem vessels: the role of sucrose as a trigger for refillingFrancesca Secchi
Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, BioLabs 3114, 16 Dinivity Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Plant Cell Environ 34:514-24. 2011..Analysis of Populus trichocarpa's response to infiltration of sucrose, monosaccharides, polyethylene glycol and potassium chloride into the xylem revealed that only presence of ..
- Stress-induced depressive behaviors are correlated with Par-4 and DRD2 expression in rat striatumXiongzhao Zhu
Medical Psychological Institute, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410011, China
Behav Brain Res 223:329-35. 2011..This process is associated with down-regulated Par-4 and DRD2 gene expression in the striatum through a non-methylation mechanism...
- Identification of an animal sucrose transporterHeiko Meyer
Department of Biology and Chemistry, University of Osnabruck, 49069 Osnabruck, Germany
J Cell Sci 124:1984-91. 2011..Here, we present the first report of an animal sucrose transporter, SCRT, which we detected in Drosophila melanogaster at each developmental stage...
- Screening of valid reference genes for real-time RT-PCR data normalization in Hevea brasiliensis and expression validation of a sucrose transporter gene HbSUT3Heping Li
Key Lab of Rubber Biology, Ministry of Agriculture and Rubber Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Danzhou, Hainan 571737, China
Plant Sci 181:132-9. 2011..In addition, examination of relative expression of a sucrose transporter HbSUT3 in different RNA samples demonstrated the importance of additional reference genes to ensure ..
- Doubled sugar content in sugarcane plants modified to produce a sucrose isomerLuguang Wu
Botany Department SIB, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Plant Biotechnol J 5:109-17. 2007b>Sucrose is the feedstock for more than half of the world's fuel ethanol production and a major human food. It is harvested primarily from sugarcane and beet...
- Metabolism of soluble sugars in developing melon fruit: a global transcriptional view of the metabolic transition to sucrose accumulationNir Dai
Institute of Plant Science, Agricultural Research Organization, Bet Dagan, Israel
Plant Mol Biol 76:1-18. 2011..by a metabolic transition during its development that leads to extensive accumulation of the disaccharide sucrose in the mature fruit...
- Sucrose-predictive cues evoke greater phasic dopamine release than saccharin-predictive cuesJames E McCutcheon
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Synapse 66:346-51. 2012..sweetener (saccharin) would evoke similar dopamine release as cues paired with a nutritive sweetener (sucrose). We trained food-restricted rats to associate distinct cues with sucrose or saccharin pellets...
- Social isolation in adolescence alters behaviors in the forced swim and sucrose preference tests in female but not in male ratsSuzie Hong
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, United States
Physiol Behav 105:269-75. 2012..Dawley rats on behavior in the forced swim test at the end of adolescence and in adulthood and on behavior in the sucrose preference test in adulthood...
- Real-time chemical responses in the nucleus accumbens differentiate rewarding and aversive stimuliMitchell F Roitman
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:1376-7. 2008..This rapid encoding may serve to guide ongoing behavioral responses and promote plastic changes in underlying circuitry...
- AKINbeta1 is involved in the regulation of nitrogen metabolism and sugar signaling in ArabidopsisXiao Fang Li
School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200062, China
J Integr Plant Biol 51:513-20. 2009b>Sucrose non-fermenting-1-related protein kinase 1 (SnRK1) has been located at the heart of the control of metabolism and development in plants. The active SnRK1 form is usually a heterotrimeric complex...
- Natural honey lowers plasma glucose, C-reactive protein, homocysteine, and blood lipids in healthy, diabetic, and hyperlipidemic subjects: comparison with dextrose and sucroseNoori S Al-Waili
Dubai Specialized Medical Center and Medical Research Laboratories, Islamic Establishment for Education, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
J Med Food 7:100-7. 2004..g of dextrose or 90 g of honey on PGL in seven patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus; and (7) effects of 30 g of sucrose or 30 g of honey on PGL, plasma insulin, and plasma C-peptide in five diabetic patients...
- Comparison of the cariogenicity of cola, honey, cow milk, human milk, and sucroseWilliam H Bowen
Center for Oral Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Pediatrics 116:921-6. 2005..We chose to examine sucrose, cola drink, honey, human milk, cow milk, and water because some of these have been associated with development ..
- Mrt, a gene unique to fungi, encodes an oligosaccharide transporter and facilitates rhizosphere competency in Metarhizium robertsiiWeiguo Fang
Department of Entomology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Plant Physiol 154:1549-57. 2010..Here, we demonstrate that sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides in root exudates are important for rhizosphere competence in the insect ..
- A flux model of glycolysis and the oxidative pentosephosphate pathway in developing Brassica napus embryosJorg Schwender
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Biol Chem 278:29442-53. 2003Developing oilseeds synthesize large quantities of triacylglycerol from sucrose and hexose...
- Prospects for increasing starch and sucrose yields for bioethanol productionAlison M Smith
Department of Metabolic Biology, John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK
Plant J 54:546-58. 2008..b>Sucrose accumulation is much less well understood than starch synthesis, but recent results from research on sugar cane ..
- ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase is activated by posttranslational redox-modification in response to light and to sugars in leaves of Arabidopsis and other plant speciesJanneke H M Hendriks
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Plant Physiol 133:838-49. 2003..AGPB is converted from a dimer to monomer when sucrose is supplied to leaves via the petiole in the dark...
- Dynamics of Streptococcus mutans transcriptome in response to starch and sucrose during biofilm developmentMarlise I Klein
Center for Oral Biology and Eastman Department of Dentistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13478. 2010The combination of sucrose and starch in the presence of surface-adsorbed salivary α-amylase and bacterial glucosyltransferases increase the formation of a structurally and metabolically distinctive biofilm by Streptococcus mutans...
- Genetic and genomic evidence that sucrose is a global regulator of plant responses to phosphate starvation in ArabidopsisMingguang Lei
Protein Science Laboratory of the Ministry of Education, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Plant Physiol 156:1116-30. 2011..Molecular and genetic analyses indicated that the mutant phenotype is caused by overexpression of the SUCROSE TRANSPORTER2 (SUC2) gene...
- Hydrocortisone reinforces the blood-brain properties in a serum free cell culture systemD Hoheisel
Institut fur Biochemie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247:312-5. 1998..In correspondence to the TER increase hydrocortisone decreased cell monolayer permeability for sucrose down to 5x10(-7) cm/s, which is close to the in vivo value of 1...
- Three Drosophila mutations that block associative learning also affect habituation and sensitizationJ S Duerr
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 79:3646-50. 1982..Fruit flies have taste receptors on their feet. When a starved, water-satiated fly has sucrose applied to one foot, it usually responds by extending its proboscis...
- Clinical outcome of oocyte cryopreservation after slow cooling with a protocol utilizing a high sucrose concentrationA Borini
Tecnobios Procreazione, Via Dante 15 University of Bologna, 40125 Bologna, Italy
Hum Reprod 21:512-7. 2006..However, the clinical efficiency of these protocols has not been exhaustively explored and therefore remains controversial...
- Resistance to the two-spotted spider mite (Tetranychus urticae) by acylsucroses of wild tomato (Solanum pimpinellifolium) trichomes studied in a recombinant inbred line populationJuan Manuel Alba
Estacion Experimental La Mayora CSIC, Algarrobo Costa, 29760, Malaga, Spain
Exp Appl Acarol 47:35-47. 2009..Altogether, these results indicate that S. pimpinellifolium may be a suitable genetic source of resistance to spider mites to be used in cultivated tomato...
- Sucrose rescues seedling establishment but not germination of Arabidopsis mutants disrupted in peroxisomal fatty acid catabolismHelen Pinfield-Wells
CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, PO Box 373, York YO10 5YW, UK
Plant J 43:861-72. 2005..In acx1-1 and acx2-1, seedling growth and establishment in the absence of an exogenous supply of sucrose was unaffected...
- The sucrose transporter HbSUT3 plays an active role in sucrose loading to laticifer and rubber productivity in exploited trees of Hevea brasiliensis (para rubber tree)Chaorong Tang
Key Lab of Rubber Biology, Ministry of Agriculture and Rubber Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, College of Agronomy, Hainan University, Danzhou, Hainan 571737, China
Plant Cell Environ 33:1708-20. 2010Efficient sucrose loading in rubber-producing cells (laticifer cells) is essential for retaining rubber productivity in Hevea brasiliensis, but the molecular mechanisms underlying the regulation of this process remain unknown...
- Structure of the sucrose-specific porin ScrY from Salmonella typhimurium and its complex with sucroseD Forst
Institut fur Biophysik und Strahlenbiologie, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Nat Struct Biol 5:37-46. 1998The X-ray structure of a sucrose-specific porin (ScrY) from Salmonella typhimurium has been determined by multiple isomorphous replacement at 2.4 A resolution both in its uncomplexed form and with bound sucrose...
- Development of a humanized in vitro blood-brain barrier model to screen for brain penetration of antiepileptic drugsLuca Cucullo
Center for Cerebrovascular Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Epilepsia 48:505-16. 2007....
- Beneficial effects of exercise and its molecular mechanisms on depression in ratsHang Zheng
West China Medical Center, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, PR China
Behav Brain Res 168:47-55. 2006..Stressed rats consumed significantly less of a 1% sucrose solution during CNS and exhibited a significant decrease in open field behavior...
- Temporal responses of transcripts, enzyme activities and metabolites after adding sucrose to carbon-deprived Arabidopsis seedlingsDaniel Osuna
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Plant J 49:463-91. 2007Arabidopsis seedlings were subjected to 2 days of carbon starvation, and then resupplied with 15 mm sucrose. The transcriptional and metabolic response was analyzed using ATH1 arrays, real-time quantitative (q)RT-PCR analysis of >2000 ..
- Sucrose to starch: a transition in molecular plant physiologyAlisdair R Fernie
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476, Golm, Germany
Trends Plant Sci 7:35-41. 2002The major flux in potato tuber carbon metabolism is the conversion of sucrose through hexose phosphates to starch...
- Differential effects of sucrose and auxin on localized phosphate deficiency-induced modulation of different traits of root system architecture in ArabidopsisAjay Jain
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1165, USA
Plant Physiol 144:232-47. 2007..Here, we present the differential effects of sucrose (Suc) and auxin on the Pi deficiency responses of the primary and lateral roots of Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis ..
- Elevated basal PI 3-kinase activity and reduced insulin signaling in sucrose-induced hepatic insulin resistanceMichael J Pagliassotti
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E170-6. 2002b>Sucrose feeding reduces the ability of insulin to suppress glucose production and hepatic gluconeogenesis. The present study examined the effect of a high-sucrose diet on early insulin-signaling steps in the liver...
- Sucrose transport in the phloem: integrating root responses to phosphorus starvationJohn P Hammond
Warwick HRI, University of Warwick, Wellesbourne, Warwick CV35 9EF, UK
J Exp Bot 59:93-109. 2008..Photosynthate is primarily transported to sink tissues as sucrose via the phloem. Under phosphorus (P) starvation, plants accumulate sugars and starch in their leaves...
- Expression of biofilm-associated genes of Streptococcus mutans in response to glucose and sucroseMoshe Shemesh
Institute of Dental Sciences, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Hebrew University Hadassah, POB 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Med Microbiol 56:1528-35. 2007..In spite of a significant upregulation in biofilm-associated gene expression in the presence of sucrose, the presence of glucose with sucrose reduced expression of most tested genes...
- Oral sucrose stimulation increases accumbens dopamine in the ratAndras Hajnal
Department of Neural and Behavioral Sciences H181, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 286:R31-7. 2004..from possible postingestive consequences, we investigated the quantitative relationship between sham feeding of sucrose and extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens with microdialysis in rats...
- Analgesic properties of oral sucrose during routine immunizations at 2 and 4 months of ageLinda A Hatfield
Pennsylvania State University School of Nursing, College of Health and Human Development, 307B HHD East, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Pediatrics 121:e327-34. 2008The purpose of this work was to evaluate the analgesic properties of oral sucrose during routine immunizations in infants at 2 and 4 months of age.
- Long-term dietary compensation for added sugar: effects of supplementary sucrose drinks over a 4-week periodMarie Reid
Psychology Department, Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh, UK
Br J Nutr 97:193-203. 2007..Subjects were categorised as 'watchers' or 'non-watchers' of what they ate then received sucrose or artificially sweetened drinks (4 x 250 ml per d)...
- Genome-wide analysis of the Arabidopsis leaf transcriptome reveals interaction of phosphate and sugar metabolismRenate Müller
Plant Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Plant Biology, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, DK 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Plant Physiol 143:156-71. 2007..Leaf segments derived from phosphorus (P)-starved and P-replenished plants were incubated with or without sucrose (Suc) to obtain tissues with contrasting combinations of P and carbohydrate levels...
- Breastfeeding or oral sucrose solution in term neonates receiving heel lance: a randomized, controlled trialLuigi Codipietro
ASL 10 Agnelli Hospital, Stradale Fenestrelle 72, Pinerolo 10064, Italy
Pediatrics 122:e716-21. 2008The purpose of this work was to compare the efficacy of breastfeeding versus orally administered sucrose solution in reducing pain response during blood sampling through heel lance...
- Characterization of physico-chemical properties and pharmaceutical performance of sucrose co-freeze-dried solid nanoparticulate powders of the anti-HIV agent loviride prepared by media millingB van Eerdenbrugh
Laboratory for Pharmacotechnology and Biopharmacy, K U Leuven, Gasthuisberg O and N2, Herestraat 49, box 921, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Int J Pharm 338:198-206. 2007In order to improve the dissolution and absorption properties of loviride, a poorly soluble antiviral agent, sucrose co-freeze-dried nanopowders were prepared, characterized and evaluated...
- Evidence-based review of oral sucrose administration to decrease the pain response in newborn infantsKathleen H Leef
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Christiana Care Health Services, Newark, Delaware, USA
Neonatal Netw 25:275-84. 2006..This article reviews the evidence regarding the safety and efficacy of oral sucrose administration, to help answer the clinical question of how to manage an infant's pain response to minor invasive ..
- Effects of sucrose on the extracellular matrix of plaque-like biofilm formed in vivo, studied by proteomic analysisA F Paes Leme
Piracicaba Dental School, UNICAMP, Piracicaba, Brazil
Caries Res 42:435-43. 2008Previous studies have shown that sucrose promotes changes in the composition of the extracellular matrix (ECM) of plaque-like biofilm (PLB), but its effect on protein expression has not been studied in vivo...
- Increased sucrose level and altered nitrogen metabolism in Arabidopsis thaliana transgenic plants expressing antisense chloroplastic fructose-1,6-bisphosphataseMariam Sahrawy
Department of Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology of Plants, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, Prof Albareda 1, 18008 Granada, Spain
J Exp Bot 55:2495-503. 2004..Decreased FBPase activity boosted the foliar carbohydrate contents, with a shift in the sucrose:starch ratio, which reached a maximum of 0.99 when the activity loss was 41%...
- Distribution of callose synthase, cellulose synthase, and sucrose synthase in tobacco pollen tube is controlled in dissimilar ways by actin filaments and microtubulesGiampiero Cai
Dipartimento Scienze Ambientali G Sarfatti, Universita di Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
Plant Physiol 155:1169-90. 2011..Callose synthase also comigrates with tubulin by Blue Native-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. Membrane sucrose synthase, which expectedly provides UDP-glucose to callose synthase and cellulose synthase, binds to actin ..
- High sucrose intake in rats is associated with increased ACE2 and angiotensin-(1-7) levels in the adipose tissueMichella Soares Coelho
Department of Internal Medicine, Laboratory of Experimental Hypertension of the University of São Paulo School of Medicine, Brazil
Regul Pept 162:61-7. 2010b>Sucrose-fed rats, a model of metabolic syndrome, are characterized by insulin resistance, obesity, hypertension, and high plasma levels of triacylglycerols and angiotensin II (Ang II)...
- Oral sucrose as an analgesic drug for procedural pain in newborn infants: a randomised controlled trialRebeccah Slater
Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 376:1225-32. 2010Many infants admitted to hospital undergo repeated invasive procedures. Oral sucrose is frequently given to relieve procedural pain in neonates on the basis of its effect on behavioural and physiological pain scores...
- Obesity induced by a pair-fed high fat sucrose diet: methylation and expression pattern of genes related to energy homeostasisAlmudena Lomba
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Physiology and Toxicology, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Lipids Health Dis 9:60. 2010..regulation of gene expression and with obesity development, we investigated the effects on methylation and expression patterns of two pair-fed isocaloric diets in rats: control (rich in starch) and HFS (rich in fat and sucrose).
- NTRC links built-in thioredoxin to light and sucrose in regulating starch synthesis in chloroplasts and amyloplastsJustyna Michalska
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9908-13. 2009..In leaves, AGPase was activated in planta either by light or external feeding of sucrose in the dark...
- Evidence that SNF1-related kinase and hexokinase are involved in separate sugar-signalling pathways modulating post-translational redox activation of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in potato tubersAxel Tiessen
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, 14476 Golm, Germany
Plant J 35:490-500. 2003..AGPase) is a powerful new mechanism to adjust the rate of starch synthesis to the availability of sucrose in growing potato tubers...
- Functional characterization of cell-wall-associated protein WapA in Streptococcus mutansLin Zhu
School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Microbiology 152:2395-404. 2006..More interestingly, these phenotypic differences diminished as sucrose concentration in the medium was increased to 0.5 %...
- Biochemical composition and cariogenicity of dental plaque formed in the presence of sucrose or glucose and fructoseJ A Cury
Faculty of Dentistry of Piracicaba, State University of Campinas, SP, Brazil
Caries Res 34:491-7. 2000The composition of dental plaque formed in the presence of sucrose or glucose and fructose and its relation to cariogenicity was evaluated. Twelve adult volunteers took part in this crossover study done in three phases of 28 days each...
- Protection mechanisms in the resurrection plant Xerophyta viscosa (Baker): both sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs) accumulate in leaves in response to water deficitShaun Peters
University of Cape Town, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Private Bag, Rhodes Gift, 7701, Cape Town, South Africa
J Exp Bot 58:1947-56. 2007..b>Sucrose and raffinose family oligosaccharides (RFOs), particularly raffinose, increased under these conditions, with the ..
- Role of sucrose in the fitness of Streptococcus mutansJ Kreth
School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 23:213-9. 2008Dental caries has been closely linked to fermentable carbohydrates as key environmental factors. Sucrose has been identified as the most cariogenic carbohydrate...
- Human oocyte cryopreservation: new perspectives regarding oocyte survivalR Fabbri
IVF Center, Human Reproductive Medicine Unit, Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Bologna, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Hum Reprod 16:411-6. 2001..Therefore the effect of some factors, such as the presence or absence of the cumulus oophorus, the sucrose concentration in the freezing solution and the exposure time to cryoprotectants, on human oocyte survival after ..
- Adipose tissue, liver and pancreas structural alterations in C57BL/6 mice fed high-fat-high-sucrose diet supplemented with fish oil (n-3 fatty acid rich oil)Fernanda A M Nascimento
Laboratorio de Morfometria e Morfologia Cardiovascular, Centro Biomedico, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Av 28 de Setembro 87 fds 20551 030 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Exp Toxicol Pathol 62:17-25. 2010Fish oil treatment was used in reversing the morphological and metabolic changes of C57BL/6 mice fed high-fat-high-sucrose (HFHS) diet. Two-month-old male C57BL/6 mice were fed HFHS chow or standard chow (SC)...
- Effect of starch on the cariogenic potential of sucroseCecilia C C Ribeiro
Faculty of Dentistry of Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Av Limeira 901, CEP 13414 903, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Br J Nutr 94:44-50. 2005Since in vitro and animal studies suggest that the combination of starch with sucrose may be more cariogenic than sucrose alone, the study assessed in situ the effects of this association applied in vitro on the acidogenicity, ..
- Sucrose, sucrosyl oligosaccharides, and oxidative stress: scavenging and salvaging?Wim Van den Ende
Laboratory for Molecular Plant Physiology, KU Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 31, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
J Exp Bot 60:9-18. 2009..They are believed to act as important membrane protectors in planta. So far a putative role for sucrose and SOS during oxidative stress has largely been neglected, as has the contribution of the vacuolar compartment...
- Molecular physiology of higher plant sucrose transportersNorbert Sauer
Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, FAU Erlangen Nürnberg, Staudtstrasse 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
FEBS Lett 581:2309-17. 2007b>Sucrose is the primary product of photosynthetic CO(2) fixation that is used for the distribution of assimilated carbon within higher plants...
- Effects of sucrose, glucose and fructose on peripheral and central appetite signalsAndreas Lindqvist
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Regul Pept 150:26-32. 2008..Soft drinks, originally sweetened by sucrose, are now sweetened by other caloric sweeteners, such as fructose...
- The protein kinase SnRK2.6 mediates the regulation of sucrose metabolism and plant growth in ArabidopsisZhifu Zheng
Dow AgroSciences LLC, Indianapolis, Indiana 46268, USA
Plant Physiol 153:99-113. 2010In higher plants, three subfamilies of sucrose nonfermenting-1 (Snf1)-related protein kinases have evolved...
- Sucrose synthase affects carbon partitioning to increase cellulose production and altered cell wall ultrastructureHeather D Coleman
Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13118-23. 2009Overexpression of the Gossypium hirsutum sucrose synthase (SuSy) gene under the control of 2 promoters was examined in hybrid poplar (Populus alba x grandidentata)...
- Decreased expression of two key enzymes in the sucrose biosynthesis pathway, cytosolic fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase and sucrose phosphate synthase, has remarkably different consequences for photosynthetic carbon metabolism in transgenic Arabidopsis thalianA Strand
Umea Plant Science Centre, Department of Plant Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Plant J 23:759-70. 2000Photosynthetic carbon metabolism was investigated in antisense Arabidopsis lines with decreased expression of sucrose phosphate synthase (SPS) and cytosolic fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase (cFBPase)...
- Effects of expectation on gustatory cortical activityAlfredo Fontanini; Fiscal Year: 2009..of specific expectation: the first task, a go/no-go in which one tone cues the availability of a palatable taste (sucrose or NaCl) and the other a punishment (quinine) at a press of a lever, will reveal the effects of expectation of ..
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsRegina M Carelli; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., sucrose), intracranial self-stimulation (ICSS) and cocaine self-administration...
- STRUCTURE, BIOSYNTHESIS AND FUNCTION OF GLYCOPROTEINSStuart Kornfeld; Fiscal Year: 2007..in hand, the effect of phosphorylation on the conformation of GGAs 1/3 will be studied by gel filtration, sucrose density gradients and protease sensitivity...
- Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (NPAAS)ROSS L contact PRENTICE; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will obtain 24-h urine-derived nutritional measures, including nitrogen (protein), fructose, sucrose (sugars), alkylresorcinols (whole grains) and 1- and 3- methylhistidine (meat);and blood-derived nutritional ..
- BRAIN GLUCOSENSING NEURONS IN HEALTH AND DIABETESBarry E Levin; Fiscal Year: 2010..glucoprivic feeding but lowering it had no effect on energy homeostasis or glucose tolerance in rats fed low, low sucrose diets...
- Pain and Hypoxia in Premature NeonatesDANILYN ANGELES; Fiscal Year: 2009..Premature infants experiencing heel lance will be randomized into either a placebo or sucrose intervention group...
- Pain and Hypoxia in Premature NeonatesDANILYN MAG AKAT ANGELES; Fiscal Year: 2010..Premature infants experiencing heel lance will be randomized into either a placebo or sucrose intervention group...
- Gustatory Control of Sodium AppetiteRalph Norgren; Fiscal Year: 2010..We use the release of dopamine (DA) in the nucleus accumbens as a forebrain index of reward. Sham licking sucrose produces a substantial efflux of accumbens DA even in experienced animals...
- Substrate Selection in Homologous Bacterial TransportersManuel Varela; Fiscal Year: 2004..coli (LacY) also confer sugar selection in homologous transporters for melibiose (MelY), raffinose (RafB) and sucrose (CseB)...
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsREGINA CARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., sucrose), intracranial self-stimulation (ICSS) and cocaine self-administration...
- Identification of anti-cariogenic/low-glycemic activity factors from Lo Han KuoCHIFU HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2006..sweeteners that are commercially available, designed to provide zero- or low-calorie artificial alternatives to sucrose/high fructose corn syrup, there remain concerns regarding potential health concerns in the general population or ..
- Temporal Coding in the Gustatory System of the BrainPatricia M Di Lorenzo; Fiscal Year: 2011..of electrical stimulation can mimic the perceptual properties and behavioral reactivity of either quinine or sucrose and b) construct a temporal sequence of electrical pulses which incorporates the critical features of the ..
- BEHAVIORAL PHYSIOLOGY OF BODY WEIGHT REGULATIONDIANNE FIGLEWICZ LATTEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..or cell signaling inhibitors to modulate performance in a behavioral task that models diet recidivism, relapse to sucrose-seeking;2) the effect of high fat diet experience on sucrose self-administration in pre- and post-pubertal rats;..
- Mechanisms of Virulence Gene Regulation in Streptococcus mutansIndranil Biswas; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. mutans synthesizes glucans from sucrose by three glucosyltransferases (Gtf), and adheres firmly to tooth surfaces with their cooperation...
- MEMBRANES OF THE DENTAL PATHOGEN STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANSARNOLD BLEIWEIS; Fiscal Year: 2001..by a number of virulence factors including an adhesin (P1), which promotes colonization in the absence of dietary sucrose and the ability of this species to withstand the effects of low pH caused by the homofermentation of sugars...
- MEMBRANES OF THE DENTAL PATHOGEN STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANSL Jeannine Brady; Fiscal Year: 2002..by a number of virulence factors including an adhesin (P1), which promotes colonization in the absence of dietary sucrose and the ability of this species to withstand the effects of low pH caused by the homofermentation of sugars...
- SENSORY CODING IN TASTEDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2000..sodium channel projects into NaCl-best afferent fibers in the chorda tympani nerve and into both NaCl- and sucrose-best neurons in the nucleus of the solitary tract (NST) of the hamster...
- Role of Lipoprotein Receptors in Diet-induced Obesity and DiabetesDavid Hui; Fiscal Year: 2007..results showed that VLDLR'/~ mice were resistant to obesity and diabetes after feeding a high fat-high sucrose diabetogenic diet...
- ATP DEPENDENT PROTEIN KINASES IN GRAM POSITIVE BACTERIAMilton Saier; Fiscal Year: 2000..system (PTS) transports and phosphorylates a variety of sugars such as glucose, fructose, mannitol, lactose and sucrose. Glucose and other sugar substrates of the PTS (PTS sugars) repress synthesis of carbohydrate catabolic enzymes, ..
- Development of Novel Therapies or Methamphetamine AbuseLinda Dwoskin; Fiscal Year: 2009..a complete blockade of methamphetamine self-administration (SA) in rats, without any alteration in responding for sucrose, i.e., it specifically decreases methamphetamine SA...
- REGULATION OF AMINO ACID BIOSYNTHESIS GENES IN PLANTSGloria Coruzzi; Fiscal Year: 2003..For example, transcriptional induction of GS by light, can be mimicked by sucrose in the absence of light...
- ANTIBODY MEDIATED GLOMERULAR INJURYDavid Salant; Fiscal Year: 2004..High molecular weight complexes of nephrin will be isolated by co-immunoprecipitation or sucrose density ultracentrifugation and analyzed for interacting proteins using tandem mass spectroscopy...