Genomes and Genes
Summary: A water-soluble extractive mixture of sulfated polysaccharides from RED ALGAE. Chief sources are the Irish moss CHONDRUS CRISPUS (Carrageen), and Gigartina stellata. It is used as a stabilizer, for suspending COCOA in chocolate manufacture, and to clarify BEVERAGES.
Publications345 found, 100 shown here
- Efficacy of Carraguard for prevention of HIV infection in women in South Africa: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialStephanie Skoler-Karpoff
Population Council, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 372:1977-87. 2008Female-initiated HIV-prevention options, such as microbicides, are urgently needed. We assessed Carraguard, a carrageenan-based compound developed by the Population Council, for its efficacy and long-term safety in prevention of HIV ..
- Sinularin from indigenous soft coral attenuates nociceptive responses and spinal neuroinflammation in carrageenan-induced inflammatory rat modelShi Ying Huang
Department of Marine Biotechnology and Resources, Asia Pacific Ocean Research Center, National Sun Yat Sen University, Kaohsiung 80424, Taiwan
Mar Drugs 10:1899-919. 2012..ago, the marine-derived compound sinularin was shown to have anti-edematous effects on paw edema induced by carrageenan or adjuvant...
- Pure MnTBAP selectively scavenges peroxynitrite over superoxide: comparison of pure and commercial MnTBAP samples to MnTE-2-PyP in two models of oxidative stress injury, an SOD-specific Escherichia coli model and carrageenan-induced pleurisyInes Batinic-Haberle
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical School, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 46:192-201. 2009..This SOD-specific system indicates that MnTBAP does not act as an SOD mimic in vivo. In another model, carrageenan-induced pleurisy in mice, inflammation was evidenced by increased pleural fluid exudate and neutrophil ..
- The nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor MIV-150 in carrageenan gel prevents rectal transmission of simian/human immunodeficiency virus infection in macaquesR Singer
Center for Biomedical Research, Population Council, New York, New York, USA
J Virol 85:5504-12. 2011..demonstrated that a formulation of the nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI) MIV-150 in carrageenan reduced vaginal infection of macaques with simian immunodeficiency virus SIVmac239 with HIV-1(HxB2) reverse ..
- Effects of dopaminergic agents on carrageenan hyperalgesia after intrathecal administration to ratsX Gao
Department of Neurobiology, State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Medical Center of Fudan University, 200032, Shanghai, China
Eur J Pharmacol 418:73-7. 2001The present study explored the role of dopaminergic transmission in spinal cord in a model of carrageenan-induced inflammatory pain by examining the effects of selective agonists and antagonists of dopamine receptors...
- Sequence determination of sulfated carrageenan-derived oligosaccharides by high-sensitivity negative-ion electrospray tandem mass spectrometryGuangli Yu
Institute of Marine Drug and Food, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, Shandong 266003, China
Anal Chem 78:8499-505. 2006..dissociation is assessed for sequence determination of multiply sulfated oligosaccharide fragments of carrageenan obtained from partial depolymerization of the polysaccharides by either enzymatic digestion or mild acid ..
- Protective effects of radon inhalation on carrageenan-induced inflammatory paw edema in miceTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, 5 1 Shikata cho 2 chome, Kita ku, Okayama Shi, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Inflammation 35:713-22. 2012We assessed whether radon inhalation inhibited carrageenan-induced inflammation in mice. Carrageenan (1% v/v) was injected subcutaneously into paws of mice that had or had not inhaled approximately 2,000 Bq/m(3) of radon for 24 h...
- Excitatory amino acid receptor antagonists and electroacupuncture synergetically inhibit carrageenan-induced behavioral hyperalgesia and spinal fos expression in ratsYu Qiu Zhang
Institute of Neurobiology, Fudan University, 220 Han Dan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Pain 99:525-35. 2002..AMPA/KA) receptor antagonist, (6,7-dinitroquinoxaline-2,3 (1H,4H); DNQX) administered intrathecally on carrageenan-induced thermal hyperalgesia and spinal c-Fos expression was investigated...
- Changes in the expression of tetrodotoxin-sensitive sodium channels within dorsal root ganglia neurons in inflammatory painJoel A Black
Department of Neurology and Paralyzes Veterans of America, Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association Neuroscience Research Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven CT 06510, USA
Pain 108:237-47. 2004..In addition, 4 days following injection of carrageenan into the hind paw, an established model of inflammatory pain, Na(v)1...
- Interference in dengue virus adsorption and uncoating by carrageenansLaura B Talarico
Laboratorio de Virologia, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Pabellon 2, Piso 4, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Virology 363:473-85. 2007..001-1. The inhibitory action of the lambda-carrageenan, an heparan sulfate (HS)-imitative compound, was exerted by a dual interference with virus adsorption and ..
- Acceptability of Carraguard vaginal gel use among Thai couplesSara J Whitehead
National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STDs, and Tuberculosis Prevention proposed, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
AIDS 20:2141-8. 2006..To evaluate the acceptability of candidate microbicide Carraguard among couples participating in a safety trial...
- Spinal phosphinositide 3-kinase-Akt-mammalian target of rapamycin signaling cascades in inflammation-induced hyperalgesiaQinghao Xu
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Neurosci 31:2113-24. 2011..with inhibitors to PI3K or Akt attenuated Formalin-induced second-phase flinching behavior, as well as carrageenan-induced thermal hyperalgesia and tactile allodynia...
- Fetuin, a negative acute phase protein, attenuates TNF synthesis and the innate inflammatory response to carrageenanM Ombrellino
Department of Surgery, North Shore University Hospital-New York University School of Medicine, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Shock 15:181-5. 2001..of fetuin were studied in vivo in an LPS-independent model of acute inflammation caused by administration of carrageenan. Administration of fetuin (5-500 mg/kg intraperitoneally) dose-dependently attenuated the development of paw ..
- Antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties of the ethanolic extract, dichloromethane fraction and costunolide from Magnolia ovata (Magnoliaceae)Candida Aparecida Leite Kassuya
Department of Pharmacology, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 124:369-76. 2009..This study investigated the antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effects of the ethanolic extract (EEMO), dichloromethane fraction (DCM), and the isolated compound costunolide...
- B-cell CLL/lymphoma 10 (BCL10) is required for NF-kappaB production by both canonical and noncanonical pathways and for NF-kappaB-inducing kinase (NIK) phosphorylationSumit Bhattacharyya
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 285:522-30. 2010..NF)-kappaB by both canonical and noncanonical pathways, following stimulation by the sulfated polysaccharide carrageenan (CGN)...
- Carrageenan is a potent inhibitor of papillomavirus infectionChristopher B Buck
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS Pathog 2:e69. 2006..Comparison of a variety of compounds revealed that carrageenan, a type of sulfated polysaccharide extracted from red algae, is an extremely potent infection inhibitor for a ..
- Suppressive effects of propolis in rat adjuvant arthritisE H Park
College of Pharmacy, Sookmyung Women s University, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 22:554-8. 1999..5 mg/kg/day, p.o.) and acetyl salicylic acid (100 mg/kg/day, p.o.). In carrageenan rat hind paw edema, which was conducted to test the effects of subfractions of EEP, the petroleum ether sub-..
- The revised NMR chemical shift data of carrageenansFred van de Velde
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, PO Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Carbohydr Res 339:2309-13. 2004A new set of (13)C and (1)H NMR chemical shifts of most common carrageenan types is given relative to DSS as the internal standard according to the IUPAC recommendations...
- Effect of Pap smear collection and carrageenan on cervicovaginal human papillomavirus-16 infection in a rhesus macaque modelJeffrey N Roberts
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:737-43. 2011..Therefore, we determined whether a cytology specimen collection procedure (Pap smear), which disrupts the epithelium by design, renders the cervix more susceptible to HPV infection in a primate model...
- Carrageenan-induced mouse paw oedema is biphasic, age-weight dependent and displays differential nitric oxide cyclooxygenase-2 expressionInmaculada Posadas
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Naples Federico II, via D Montesano 49, Naples 80131, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 142:331-8. 2004Injection of carrageenan 1% (50 microl) in the mouse paw causes a biphasic response: an early inflammatory response that lasts 6 h and a second late response that peaks at 72 h, declining at 96 h...
- Inflammatory pain alters blood-brain barrier permeability and tight junctional protein expressionJ D Huber
Department of Pharmacology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H1241-8. 2001..Inflammation was produced by subcutaneous injection of formalin, lambda-carrageenan, or complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA) into the right hind paw...
- In vitro inhibitory effect of carrageenan oligosaccharide on influenza A H1N1 virusWei Wang
Key Laboratory of Marine Drugs, Ministry of Education, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, PR China
Antiviral Res 92:237-46. 2011b>Carrageenan polysaccharide has been reported to be able to inhibit the infection and replication of many different kinds of viruses...
- Antinociceptive and antihyperalgesic effects of tapentadol in animal models of inflammatory painKlaus Schiene
Global Preclinical Research and Development, Department of Pharmacology, Grunenthal GmbH, Zieglerstrasse 6, 52078 Aachen, Germany
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 339:537-44. 2011..Analgesia was evaluated in the formalin test (pain behavior, rat and mouse), carrageenan-induced mechanical hyperalgesia (paw-pressure test, rat), complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA)-induced paw ..
- Prevention of human enterovirus 71 infection by kappa carrageenanYa Huang Chiu
Department of Food Science, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
Antiviral Res 95:128-34. 2012..In this study, we report kappa carrageenan also has a strong and effective anti-EV 71 activity able to reduce plaque formation, prevent viral replication ..
- Prolongation of carrageenan-induced inflammation in human colonic epithelial cells by activation of an NFκB-BCL10 loopAlip Borthakur
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1822:1300-7. 2012b>Carrageenan, a sulfated polysaccharide that is widely used as a food additive, induces inflammatory responses in animal models and human cells...
- Inhibitors of fatty acid amide hydrolase reduce carrageenan-induced hind paw inflammation in pentobarbital-treated mice: comparison with indomethacin and possible involvement of cannabinoid receptorsSandra Holt
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Neuroscience, Umea University, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 146:467-76. 2005..of inhibitors of fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH) upon oedema volume and FAAH activity was evaluated in the carrageenan induced hind paw inflammation model in the mouse...
- Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of a lectin-like substance from Clitoria fairchildiana R. Howard seedsJoana Filomena Magalhães Leite
Laboratory of Biologically Actives Molecules, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Federal University of Ceara, P O Box 6043, CEP 60455 970 Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Molecules 17:3277-90. 2012..It was observed that CFAL has anti-inflammatory activity in the paw edema induced by carrageenan model, in which a 64% diminution in edema was observed...
- Vanilloid receptor-1 is essential for inflammatory thermal hyperalgesiaJ B Davis
Department of Neuroscience Research, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Harlow, UK
Nature 405:183-7. 2000..wide range of behavioural tests, including responses to acute noxious thermal stimuli, their ability to develop carrageenan-induced thermal hyperalgesia was completely absent...
- Relevance of anti-reactive oxygen species activity to anti-inflammatory activity of components of eviprostat, a phytotherapeutic agent for benign prostatic hyperplasiaMichiko Oka
Research Laboratories, Nippon Shinyaku Co, Ltd, 14 Nishinosho Monguchi cho, Kisshoin, Minami Ku, Kyoto 601 8550, Japan
Phytomedicine 14:465-72. 2007..These findings suggest that the suppression of ROS by EVI-1, EVI-2 and EVI-4 may partly contribute to the anti-inflammatory action of eviprostat, and this action may be implicated in its therapeutic effect on BPH...
- Carrageenan as an adjuvant to enhance peptide-based vaccine potencyYu Qian Zhang
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Vaccine 28:5212-9. 2010..In the current study, we explored the employment of a sulfated polysaccharide compound from red algae, carrageenan (CGN) as an adjuvant for their ability to generate antigen-specific immune responses and antitumor effects in ..
- Pain behavior and spinal cell activation due to carrageenan-induced inflammation in two inbred rat strains with differential hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis reactivityPierre Eric Juif
Laboratory of Neurophysiology and Psychobiology, University of Luxembourg, 162A, avenue de la Faiencerie, L 1511 Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Physiol Behav 105:901-8. 2012..and thermal pain thresholds were measured prior to and during one week after intraplantar injection of carrageenan. The activation of nociceptive neurons (FosB), astroglia (GFAP) and microglia (OX-42) in the spinal cord of ..
- Preparation and in vitro antioxidant activity of kappa-carrageenan oligosaccharides and their oversulfated, acetylated, and phosphorylated derivativesHuamao Yuan
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266071, PR China
Carbohydr Res 340:685-92. 2005..between chemical structure and properties of modified carrageenans versus antioxidant activity in vitro, kappa-carrageenan oligosaccharides were prepared through mild hydrochloric acid hydrolysis of the polysaccharide, and these were ..
- Blood-brain barrier tight junctions are altered during a 72-h exposure to lambda-carrageenan-induced inflammatory painJ D Huber
Department of Pharmacology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283:H1531-7. 2002In this study, we examined the effect of lambda-carrageenan-induced inflammatory pain on the functional and structural properties of the rat blood-brain barrier (BBB) over a 72-h time period...
- CGS 21680, an agonist of the adenosine (A2A) receptor, decreases acute lung inflammationDaniela Impellizzeri
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Via C Valeria, Gazzi, 98100 Messina, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 668:305-16. 2011..1mg/kgi.p.), an agonist of the adenosine (A(2A)) receptor, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy...
- Low-frequency electroacupuncture suppresses carrageenan-induced paw inflammation in mice via sympathetic post-ganglionic neurons, while high-frequency EA suppression is mediated by the sympathoadrenal medullary axisHyun Woo Kim
Department of Veterinary Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and BK21 Program for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
Brain Res Bull 75:698-705. 2008..of low (1Hz, LF EA) versus high (120Hz, HF EA) frequency EA stimulation on SNS activation and ultimately on carrageenan-induced inflammation...
- Iota-carrageenan is a potent inhibitor of influenza A virus infectionAndreas Leibbrandt
Marinomed Biotechnologie GmbH, Vienna, Austria
PLoS ONE 5:e14320. 2010..In vitro tests demonstrated that iota-carrageenan is a potent inhibitor of influenza A virus infection, most importantly also of pandemic H1N1/2009 in vitro...
- Anti-inflammatory effect of lycopene on carrageenan-induced paw oedema and hepatic ischaemia-reperfusion in the ratLetícia Bignotto
Departamentos de Farmacologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Br J Nutr 102:126-33. 2009..In order to study the effects of lycopene in local inflammation, a carrageenan-induced paw oedema model in rats was performed...
- Morphological and biochemical characterization of macrophages activated by carrageenan and lipopolysaccharide in vivoValéria Pereira Nacife
Laboratorio de Ultra estrutura Celular, Departamento de Ultra estrutura e Biologia Celular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, 21045 900, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Cell Struct Funct 29:27-34. 2004..In this work our aim was to analyze the surface charge of cells activated by carrageenan (CAR) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) through light and electron microscopy approaches as well as the release of ..
- Occludin oligomeric assembly at tight junctions of the blood-brain barrier is disrupted by peripheral inflammatory hyperalgesiaGwen McCaffrey
Department of Medical Pharmacology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85745, USA
J Neurochem 106:2395-409. 2008..In this study, we investigated the effect of lambda-carrageenan-induced peripheral inflammatory pain (i.e...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of red pepper (Capsicum baccatum) on carrageenan- and antigen-induced inflammationFernando Spiller
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Pharm Pharmacol 60:473-8. 2008..baccatum juice in animal models of acute inflammation induced by carrageenan and immune inflammation induced by methylated bovine serum albumin...
- Protective effect of Arbutus unedo aqueous extract in carrageenan-induced lung inflammation in miceSofia Mariotto
Biochemistry Division, Department of Neuroscience and Vision, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Pharmacol Res 57:110-24. 2008..whether AuE administration attenuates inflammatory response of murine induced by intrapleural injection of carrageenan. For this purpose we studied: (1) STAT1/3 activation, (2) TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 production in pleural ..
- The effects of oleuropein aglycone, an olive oil compound, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisyDaniela Impellizzeri
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Via C Valeria, Gazzi 98100 Messina, Italy
Clin Nutr 30:533-40. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of oleuropein aglycone, a hydrolysis product of oleuropein, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy.
- Crucial role of neutrophils in the development of mechanical inflammatory hypernociceptionThiago M Cunha
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Leukoc Biol 83:824-32. 2008..In the present study, we addressed these mechanisms in the carrageenan-induced mechanical hypernociception, which was determined using a modification of the Randall-Sellito test in ..
- Carrageenan-induced paw edema in the rat and mouseChristopher J Morris
University of Bath, UK
Methods Mol Biol 225:115-21. 2003
- Role of vagus nerve signaling in CNI-1493-mediated suppression of acute inflammationL V Borovikova
The Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Auton Neurosci 85:141-7. 2000..c.) injection of carrageenan). I.c.v...
- Peripheral inflammation induces tumor necrosis factor dependent AMPA receptor trafficking and Akt phosphorylation in spinal cord in addition to pain behaviorJeong Il Choi
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Pain 149:243-53. 2010In the present study, intraplantar carrageenan induced increased mechanical allodynia, phosphorylation of PKB/Akt and GluR1 ser 845 (PKA site) as well as GluR1, but not GluR2 movement into neuronal membranes...
- An electronic pressure-meter nociception paw test for miceT M Cunha
Departamento de Farmacologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:401-7. 2004....
- Glycyrrhizin attenuates the development of carrageenan-induced lung injury in miceMarta Menegazzi
Biochemistry Division, Department of Neuroscience and Vision, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Pharmacol Res 58:22-31. 2008..this study we evaluated the anti-inflammatory activities of glycyrrhizin in mice model of acute inflammation, carrageenan-induced pleurisy. We report here that glycyrrhizin (given at 10 mg/kg i.p...
- Peripheral nitric oxide in carrageenan-induced inflammationK Omote
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1, West 16, Chuoku, 060 8543, Sapporo, Japan
Brain Res 912:171-5. 2001..The present study was designed to examine the effects of NOS isoforms on NO release in carrageenan-induced inflammation at various time points...
- Changes in the expression of NaV1.7, NaV1.8 and NaV1.9 in a distinct population of dorsal root ganglia innervating the rat knee joint in a model of chronic inflammatory joint painIain T Strickland
Division of Neuroscience, University of Edinburgh, Medical College, 1 George Sq, Edinburgh EH8 9JZ, UK
Eur J Pain 12:564-72. 2008..work has revealed acute administration of inflammatory mediators, such as Freund's complete adjuvant (FCA) or carrageenan caused an upregulation in the levels of Na(V)1.7 and Na(V)1...
- Carrageenan-induced paw edema in rat elicits a predominant prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) response in the central nervous system associated with the induction of microsomal PGE2 synthase-1Jocelyne Guay
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Merck Frosst Centre for Therapeutic Research, Kirkland, Quebec H9H 3L1, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:24866-72. 2004..levels and in expression of terminal prostanoid synthases in both the CNS and inflamed peripheral tissue during carrageenan-induced paw inflammation in the rat...
- The protective role of endogenous glutathione in carrageenan-induced pleurisy in the ratS Cuzzocrea
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 372:187-97. 1999..the protective role of endogenous glutathione, a known free radical scavenger, in rats subjected to carrageenan-induced pleurisy...
- Resveratrol decreases hyperalgesia induced by carrageenan in the rat hind pawM Gentilli
, , , France
Life Sci 68:1317-21. 2001..inducible cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) and its transcription were examined in a model of hyperalgesia induced by carrageenan in the rat...
- Unilateral carrageenan injection into muscle or joint induces chronic bilateral hyperalgesia in ratsRajan Radhakrishnan
Graduate Program in Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of Iowa, 100 Medical Education Building 1 252, Iowa, IA 52242 1190, USA
Pain 104:567-77. 2003..b>Carrageenan is commonly used to produce short-lasting acute inflammation and hyperalgesia in animal models...
- Genital transmission of HPV in a mouse model is potentiated by nonoxynol-9 and inhibited by carrageenanJeffrey N Roberts
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4263, USA
Nat Med 13:857-61. 2007..In contrast, carrageenan, a polysaccharide present in some vaginal lubricants, prevented infection even in the presence of N-9, ..
- Carrageenan/MIV-150 (PC-815), a combination microbicideJose A Fernández-Romero
Population Council, New York, NY, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:9-14. 2007The objective of this article is to study the effect of PC-815, a novel combination microbicide containing carrageenan and the nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI) MIV-150, in blocking HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections in vitro ..
- TEMPOL, a membrane-permeable radical scavenger, attenuates peroxynitrite- and superoxide anion-enhanced carrageenan-induced paw edema and hyperalgesia: a key role for superoxide anionMahmoud M Khattab
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Eur J Pharmacol 548:167-73. 2006b>Carrageenan produces both inflammation and pain when injected in rat paws via enhancement of the formation of reactive oxygen species...
- Central administration of palmitoylethanolamide reduces hyperalgesia in mice via inhibition of NF-kappaB nuclear signalling in dorsal root gangliaGiuseppe D'Agostino
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 613:54-9. 2009..Using the carrageenan-induced paw model of hyperalgesia in mice, we report here that intracerebroventricular administration of PEA (0...
- Evaluation of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of Peltigera rufescens lichen species in acute and chronic inflammation modelsSevil Tanas
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Nat Med 64:42-9. 2010..Humb (MEPR) (Peltigeraceae) on acute (carrageenan-induced) and chronic (cotton pellet granule) phases of inflammation were investigated...
- Analgesic effects of serotonergic, noradrenergic or dual reuptake inhibitors in the carrageenan test in rats: evidence for synergism between serotonergic and noradrenergic reuptake inhibitionCarrie K Jones
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Neuropharmacology 51:1172-80. 2006..antidepressant drugs with serotonergic, noradrenergic, or dual reuptake inhibition was evaluated in reversing carrageenan-induced thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical allodynia in rats. Duloxetine (1-30mg/kg, i.p...
- A newly identified role for superoxide in inflammatory painZhi Qiang Wang
Department of Biological and Pharmacological Research, MetaPhore Pharmaceuticals, 1910 Innerbelt Business Center Drive, St Louis, MO 63114, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 309:869-78. 2004..Intraplantar injection of carrageenan in rats led to time-dependent development of peripheral inflammation [measured parameters of inflammation ..
- Immunomodulation and antitumor activity of kappa-carrageenan oligosaccharidesHuamao Yuan
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 7 Nanchi Road, Qingdao, Shandong 266071, People s Republic of China
Cancer Lett 243:228-34. 2006The modulation of carrageenan oligosaccharides from Kappaphycus striatum on the immune system in S180-bearing mice was investigated. The mice inoculated with S180 cell suspension were treated p.o...
- Antiinflammatory and antinociceptive effects of the selective histamine H4-receptor antagonists JNJ7777120 and VUF6002 in a rat model of carrageenan-induced acute inflammationGabriella Coruzzi
Department of Human Anatomy, Pharmacology and Forensic Medicine, Section of Pharmacology, University of Parma, Via Volturno 39, 43100 Parma, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 563:240-4. 2007..of the highly selective histamine H4 receptor antagonists JNJ7777120 and VUF6002 were investigated on the carrageenan-induced inflammation and thermal hyperalgesia in rats. JNJ7777120 (10 and 30 mg/kg, s.c...
- Low level laser therapy modulates kinin receptors mRNA expression in the subplantar muscle of rat paw subjected to carrageenan-induced inflammationF Bortone
Departamento de Ciências da Reabilitação, Centro Universitário Nove de Julho, UNINOVE Rua Vergueiro, 235 Liberdade, CEP 01504001 São Paulo SP, Brazil
Int Immunopharmacol 8:206-10. 2008..In this work, we evaluated if LLLT alters kinin receptors mRNA expression in the carrageenan-induced rat paw edema...
- The immune regulation of κ-carrageenan oligosaccharide and its desulfated derivatives on LPS-activated microglial cellsLing Xu
Bioengineering College of Dalian University, Dalian 116622, China
Neurochem Int 61:689-96. 2012..To reveal the immune regulation activity of κ-carrageenan oligosaccharides (KOS) on microglia cell activated by LPS and the relationship between the sulfate group ..
- The monoacylglycerol lipase inhibitor JZL184 suppresses inflammatory pain in the mouse carrageenan modelSudeshna Ghosh
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 410 North 12th Street, P O Box 980613, Richmond, VA 23298 0613, USA
Life Sci 92:498-505. 2013The present study tested whether the selective monoacylglycerol lipase (MAGL) inhibitor JZL184 would reduce allodynia and paw edema in the carrageenan test.
- The nonnucleoside reverse transcription inhibitor MIV-160 delivered from an intravaginal ring, but not from a carrageenan gel, protects against simian/human immunodeficiency virus-RT InfectionMeropi Aravantinou
Population Council, New York, New York, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1467-75. 2012We previously showed that a carrageenan (CG) gel containing 50 μM MIV-150 (MIV-150/CG) reduced vaginal simian/human immunodeficiency virus (SHIV)-RT infection of macaques (56%, p>0...
- Assessment of antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of Cymbopogon winterianus leaf essential oilBárbara L S Leite
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal de Sergipe, Campus Universitário Prof Aloisio de Campos, Sao Cristovao, SE, Brazil
Pharm Biol 48:1164-9. 2010..The LEO inhibited the carrageenan-induced neutrophil migration to the peritoneal cavity in a dose-dependent manner (35.5%, 42.8%, and 66...
- Review of harmful gastrointestinal effects of carrageenan in animal experimentsJ K Tobacman
College of Medicine, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242 1081, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:983-94. 2001In this article I review the association between exposure to carrageenan and the occurrence of colonic ulcerations and gastrointestinal neoplasms in animal models...
- Anti-inflammatory effects and acute toxicity of hydroethanolic extract of Jacaranda decurrens roots in adult male ratsJoyce Alencar Santos
School of Health Sciences, Federal University of Grande Dourados, Dourados MS, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 144:802-5. 2012..Jacaranda decurrens subsp. symmetrifoliolata Farias and Proença (Bignoniaceae) is a species traditionally used for the treatment of inflammatory diseases. However, until this moment, there is no scientific evidence of these effects...
- An excitatory role for 5-HT in spinal inflammatory nociceptive transmission; state-dependent actions via dorsal horn 5-HT(3) receptors in the anaesthetized ratG M Green
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT, London, UK
Pain 89:81-88. 2000The involvement of 5-HT(3) receptor mediated modulation of formalin and carrageenan induced inflammatory transmission was investigated...
- Carrageenan primes leukocytes to enhance lipopolysaccharide-induced tumor necrosis factor alpha productionM Ogata
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Infect Immun 67:3284-9. 1999We have previously reported that pretreatment with carrageenan (CAR) enhances lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) production in and lethality for mice...
- Structural basis for both pro- and anti-inflammatory response induced by mannose-specific legume lectin from Cymbosema roseumBruno A M Rocha
BioMol Lab, Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, P O Box 6043, 60 455 970 Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Biochimie 93:806-16. 2011..This may be due to carbohydrate binding site design, which differs at Tyr12 and Glu205 position...
- Further studies on anti-inflammatory activity of maprotiline in carrageenan-induced paw edema in ratHossein Sadeghi
Medicinal Plants Research Center, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences, Yasuj, Iran
Int Immunopharmacol 15:505-10. 2013..of maprotiline, as an antidepressant, decreased paw edema at the fourth hour after subplantar injection of carrageenan. Therefore, this work was undertaken to investigate anti-inflammatory effects of maprotiline in more details...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of patchouli alcohol isolated from Pogostemonis Herba in animal modelsYu Cui Li
College of Chinese Medicines, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, Guangzhou, PR China
Fitoterapia 82:1295-301. 2011..e., xylene-induced ear edema in mice and carrageenan-induced paw edema in rats...
- TRPA1 contributes to the acute inflammatory response and mediates carrageenan-induced paw edema in the mouseLauri J Moilanen
The Immunopharmacology Research Group, University of Tampere School of Medicine and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Sci Rep 2:380. 2012..AITC) induced inflammatory edema when injected intraplantarly to mice, mimicking the classical response to carrageenan. Interestingly, the TRPA1 antagonist HC-030031 and the cyclo-oxygenase (COX) inhibitor ibuprofen inhibited not ..
- Seaweed polysaccharides and derived oligosaccharides stimulate defense responses and protection against pathogens in plantsJeannette Vera
Laboratory of Marine Biotechnology, Faculty of Chemistry and Biology, University of Santiago, Santiago, Chile
Mar Drugs 9:2514-25. 2011..Thus, seaweed polysaccharides and their derived oligosaccharides induced the accumulation of proteins and compounds with antimicrobial activities that determine, at least in part, the enhanced protection against pathogens in plants...
- An electronic pressure-meter nociception paw test for ratsG G Vivancos
Departamento de Farmacologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:391-9. 2004....
- Chondrogenic phenotype of different cells encapsulated in κ-carrageenan hydrogels for cartilage regeneration strategiesElena Popa
3B s Research Group Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics, University of Minho, Headquarters of the European Institute of Excellence on Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Taipas, Guimaraes, Portugal
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 59:132-41. 2012..Hydrogels based on κ-carrageenan (κC), a thermoreversible natural-origin polymer, have been recently proposed as new cell/growth factor ..
- Exposure to the common food additive carrageenan leads to glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and inhibition of insulin signalling in HepG2 cells and C57BL/6J miceS Bhattacharyya
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 South Wood Street, CSN 440, M C 718, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Diabetologia 55:194-203. 2012The aim of this study was to determine the impact of the common food additive carrageenan (E407) on glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity and insulin signalling in a mouse model and human hepatic cells, since carrageenan is known to ..
- Role of oxygen radicals and arachidonic acid metabolites in the reverse passive Arthus reaction and carrageenin paw oedema in the ratN K Boughton Smith
Department of Pharmacology, Wellcome Research Laboratories, Beckenham, Kent
Br J Pharmacol 110:896-902. 1993..Furthermore, the results suggest that the anti-inflammatory actions of BW755C can be dissociated from its effects on arachidonic acid metabolism and are attributed to its anti-oxidant activity...
- Vernonia cinerea L. scavenges free radicals and regulates nitric oxide and proinflammatory cytokines profile in carrageenan induced paw edema modelP Pratheesh Kumar
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, Kerala State, India
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 31:94-102. 2009..It was also found that Vernonia cinerea extract significantly inhibited carrageenan induced inflammation, compared with control models...
- Electroacupuncture inhibits phosphorylation of spinal phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt in a carrageenan-induced inflammatory rat modelHa Neui Kim
Division of Meridian and Structural Medicine, School of Korean Medicine, Pusan National University, Yangsan 626 870, Republic of Korea
Brain Res Bull 87:199-204. 2012..the changes of pain-related spinal signaling pathway after electroacupuncture (EA) stimulation in a carrageenan-induced rat model...
- Protective effect of melatonin in carrageenan-induced acute local inflammationD Bilici
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, Ataturk University, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Pharmacol Res 46:133-9. 2002..to investigate the protective effect of the pineal hormone melatonin in a model of acute local inflammation (carrageenan-induced paw oedema)...
- Levels of endocannabinoids and palmitoylethanolamide and their pharmacological manipulation in chronic granulomatous inflammation in ratsD De Filippis
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Naples Federico II, Via Domenico Montesano 49, 80131 Naples, Italy
Pharmacol Res 61:321-8. 2010..These findings suggest that chronic inflammation might develop also because of endocannabinoid and palmitoylethanolamide tissue concentration impairment, the correction of which might be exploited to develop new anti-inflammatory drugs...
- Regulation of prostaglandin production in carrageenan-induced pleurisy by melatoninS Cuzzocrea
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
J Pineal Res 27:9-14. 1999..of melatonin on the production of the inflammatory mediator prostaglandins in a model of acute inflammation, carrageenan-induced pleurisy, where prostaglandins are known to play a crucial role. The results show that melatonin (12...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of Albizia lebbeck Benth., an ethnomedicinal plant, in acute and chronic animal models of inflammationN Prakash Babu
Division of Ethnopharmacology, Entomology Research Institute, Loyola College, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600 034, Tamil Nadu, India
J Ethnopharmacol 125:356-60. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the scientific basis of anti-inflammatory activity of different organic solvent extracts of Albizia lebbeck...
- Esenbeckia leiocarpa Engl. inhibits inflammation in a carrageenan-induced murine model of pleurisyPatricia Pozzatti
Department of Clinical Analysis, Centre for Health Sciences, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Campus Universitario, Trindade, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
J Pharm Pharmacol 63:1091-102. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the anti-inflammatory effects of the crude hydroalcoholic extract (CHE) isolated from Esenbeckia leiocarpa Engl., and fractions and subfractions derived from it...
- Diclofenac attenuates the regional effect of lambda-carrageenan on blood-brain barrier function and cytoarchitectureTracy A Brooks
Departments of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arizona Colleges of Pharmacy, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:665-73. 2008..Edema and hyperalgesia were induced by lambda-carrageenan and attenuated by the additional administration of diclofenac...
- Differing effects of exogenous and endogenous hydrogen sulphide in carrageenan-induced knee joint synovitis in the ratE Ekundi-Valentim
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 159:1463-74. 2010..This study was undertaken to evaluate the ability of endogenous and exogenous H(2)S to modulate carrageenan-induced synovitis in the rat knee.
- Preparation and application of poly(N,N-dimethylacrylamide-co-acrylamide) and poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-acrylamide)/kappa-Carrageenan hydrogels for immobilization of lipaseH Tumturk
Gazi University, Faculty of Art and Science, Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology Research Laboratory, 06500 Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Biol Macromol 40:281-5. 2007..that are poly(N,N-dimethylacrylamide-co-acrylamide) and poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-acrylamide)/kappa-Carrageenan was synthesized and applied for immobilization of lipase...
- Central nervous system mast cells in peripheral inflammatory nociceptionDimitris N Xanthos
Department of Neurophysiology, Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna, Spitalgasse 4, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Mol Pain 7:42. 2011..Changes of lower spinal cord dura mast cells and their contribution to hyperalgesia are examined in animal models of peripheral neurogenic and non-neurogenic inflammation...
- Compartmental relaxation and diffusion tensor imaging measurements in vivo in lambda-carrageenan-induced edema in rat skeletal muscleReuben H Fan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University School of Engineering, Nashville, TN 37232 2310, USA
NMR Biomed 21:566-73. 2008....
- Anti-inflammatory activities of 6β-acetoxy-7α-hydroxyroyleanone from Taiwania cryptomerioides Hayata ex vivo and in vivoGuan Jhong Huang
School of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences and Chinese Medicine Resources, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 59:11211-8. 2011..7) ex vivo and carrageenan (Carr)-induced mouse paw edema model in vivo. When RAW 264...
- Analgesic effects and mechanisms of anti-inflammation of taraxeren-3-one from Diospyros maritima in miceTien Ning Chang
School of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences and Chinese Medicine Resources, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung 404, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 59:9112-9. 2011..acid-induced writhing response and the formalin test, and its anti-inflammatory effects using the model of λ-carrageenan (Carr)-induced paw edema...
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial to assess the safety and acceptability of use of carraguard vaginal gel by heterosexual couples in ThailandPeter H Kilmarx
National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:226-32. 2008To determine the safety and acceptability of use of Carraguard, a carrageenan-derived candidate microbicide gel, during sexual intercourse in women and men.
- Amiodarone has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties: an experimental study in rats with carrageenan-induced paw edemaZekai Halici
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Ataturk University, 25240, Erzurum, Turkey
Eur J Pharmacol 566:215-21. 2007..as marker of acute inflammation, following oral administration of amiodarone and diclofenac in rats with carrageenan-induced paw edema...
- Effects of the Geiji-Bokryung-Hwan on carrageenan-induced inflammation in mice and cyclooxygenase-2 in hepatoma cells of HepG2 and Hep3BWon Hwan Park
National Research Laboratory for Glycobiology, Korean Ministry of Science and Technology, Kyungju, Kyungbuk, Korea
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 26:103-12. 2004..Effects of the GBH extracts on carrageenan-induced edema inflammation using female (C57BL/6XC3H) F1 (B6C3F1) mice and tumorigenesis were examined...
- Carraguard acceptability among men and women in a couples study in ThailandSarah Martin
Ibis Reproductive Health, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19:1561-7. 2010..The aim of this study is to evaluate the use and acceptability of Carraguard among men and women enrolled as couples in a microbicide trial...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of methanol extract of Antrodia cinnamomea mycelia both in vitro and in vivoChi Luan Wen
Taiwan Seed Improvement and propagation Station, Council of Agriculture, Propagation Technology Section, Taichung, Taiwan
J Ethnopharmacol 137:575-84. 2011..This study aimed to explore the folk use of Antrodia cinnamomea on pharmacological grounds to characterize the scientific basis of anti-inflammatory activity...
- The protective role of endogenous estrogens in carrageenan-induced lung injury in the ratS Cuzzocrea
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Messina, Italy
Mol Med 7:478-87. 2001..Here we investigate the effects of endogenous estrogens in rats subjected to carrageenan-induced pleurisy.
- Effect of Articular Neurotoxin on Joint Pain and Neurochemical SignatureMaren Lawson Mahowald; Fiscal Year: 2012..These models will be produced by injecting mouse knee joints with carrageenan, and Complete Freund's Adjuvant and by destabilizing the medial meniscus of the knee respectively...
- (R)-flurbiprofen Substrate-Selective Inhibition of COX-2 and Analog DevelopmentDaniel Hermanson; Fiscal Year: 2013..substrate-selective inhibitors will then be evaluated and compared to (R)-flurbiprofen in vivo using the mouse carrageenan footpad inflammation model...
- Mechanisms of postnatal cutaneous afferent development during inflammationMichael P Jankowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..in SA1 except we will analyze the comprehensive phenotypes of sensory afferents after hairy skin injection of carrageenan at different times during postnatal development and correlate these data with changes in gene expression in the ..
- Role of Epoxygenated Fatty Acids in Modulating PainAhmet B Inceoglu; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will utilize the carrageenan induced inflammatory pain model to identify anti- hyperalgesic EpFAs...
- The Pharmacology of Spinal AnalgesicsTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2013..and in evocative pain states over time in rat after local tissue injury (Intraplantar formalin, intraplantar carrageenan) and in mice with KBxN serum-induced arthritis. 2...
- A Model and Mechanism of the Comorbid Interaction between Pain and AnxietyJohn J A Marota; Fiscal Year: 2013..anxiety on nociceptive behavior and brain neural activities (rodent fMRI) following transient (subcutaneous carrageenan injection) or persistent (mental nerve injury) nociception in rats...
- Nociceptor Maturation and Response to Peripheral InjuryCHARLES JEFFERY WOODBURY; Fiscal Year: 2013..induced inflammation in facial skin of newborn mice;the long-term effects of neonatal adjuvant-induced and carrageenan-induced inflammation will be compared to analyze potential differences between persistent versus acute ..
- ZCM: A novel broad-spectrum microbicide for STIsMELISSA J ROBBIANI; Fiscal Year: 2010..ZCM comprises Zn bound to carrageenan and the non-nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor MIV-150...
- Designing Optimal Microbicide Delivery Integrating Rheology and AcceptabilityGREGORY RAY ZIEGLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Human perceptual data will be assessed throughout and guide the design process. Carrageenan will be used for the development of heat-stable softgels that, unlike current gelatin capsules, will not melt ..
- Designing Optimal Microbicide Delivery Integrating Rheology and AcceptabilityJOHN EDWARD HAYES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Human perceptual data will be assessed throughout and guide the design process. Carrageenan will be used for the development of heat-stable softgels that, unlike current gelatin capsules, will not melt ..
- PKC-e Mechanisms in Acute and Chronic PainJON DAVID LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2011..By employing a more generalized model of acute inflammation (induced by carrageenan), the present experiments will make a major step toward our ultimate goal of understanding PKCe-dependent ..
- PEPTIDE RELEASE FROM PERIPHERAL TERMINALS OF AFFERENTSTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 1991..will be examined in the KJ using an acute inflammatory response evoked by intrasynovial injection of kaolin and carrageenan. 3) "The antidromic evoked release of peripheral SP-LI is subject to modulation by several classes of local ..
- A topical treatment for genital papillomavirus infectionsRichard Schlegel; Fiscal Year: 2007..The first compound is carrageenan, which was recently shown by Dr...
- SUPRASPINAL MODULATION OF HYPERALGESIAMark Urban; Fiscal Year: 2000..The model of primary hyperalgesia (noxious stimulation at the site of injury) will involve carrageenan injection into the planter surface of the hind foot, and models of secondary hyperalgesia (noxious stimulation ..
- CARRAGEENAN-STABILIZED COLLOIDAL GOLD BIOSENSORJOHN O DALY; Fiscal Year: 1990Enzymes immobilized on colloidal gold and coated with carrageenan offer an important new route to amperometric biosensor electrodes...
- NEW EXPERIMENTAL MODEL FOR DORMANCY IN BREAST CANCERJEANNE SZALAY; Fiscal Year: 1990..studies we will examine the effects of irradiated and formalinized tumor cells, cyclosporin, cyclophosphamide, carrageenan and anti-asialo GM1 serum on the tumor dormant state...
- Feasibility Study of Three NCEs for Rheumatoid ArthritisJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2004..and our proprietary compound (compound A) and performed in vivo inhibition studies for inflammation induced by carrageenan. Based on the anti-inflammation results, we have selected three most promising compounds (UTL-5b, UTL-5d, and ..
- HETEROGENEITY OF LYMPHOCYTES IN HERPES OCULAR DISEASERose Nagy; Fiscal Year: 1980..non separated populations minus G-10 Sephadex column adherent cells, non separated populations plus carrageenan and non separated populations plus Indomethicin...
- Effects of Peripheral Inflammation on Opioid TransportMelissa Seelbach; Fiscal Year: 2007..as follows: 1) Examine time course dependent alterations in BBB Pgp expression and localization during lambda-carrageenan induced peripheral inflammation, using techniques of Western blot and confocal microscopy...
- Chloride cation co-transporters and hyperalgesic statesTHEODORE PRICE; Fiscal Year: 2007..and/or activity regulate the conversion of primary afferent depolarization to dorsal root reflexes in the carrageenan inflammation model through the following hypothesis: 1) That nociceptive DRG neurons express NKCC1 and NKCC1 ..
- IMMUNOLOGIC CHARACTERIZATION/PROSTATIC ADENOCARCINOMAWilliam Catalona; Fiscal Year: 1980..immunologic mechanisms might also play a role in transplantation resistance to the R3327 tumor have shown that carrageenan treatment of animals before and after tumor innoculation reduced the capacity of nonimmune host to reject the ..
- EVALUATION OF OPIOID REGULATION OF INFLAMMATIONKenneth Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 1993..Specifically, the proposed studies will evaluate the effects of opioids on carrageenan-induced edema, hyperthermia, plasma extravasation and hyperalgesia...
- A1 adenosine agonist: antinociceptive effectsAnita Marton; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effect of the A1 agonist will be tested on thermo- and mechano-nociception in the carrageenan-induced acute hyperalgesia test and in the chronic traumatic neuropathy model (Seltzer) in rats...
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF CHRONIC MUSCLE PAINKathleen Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2003..These proposed studies will help in the understanding and thus potential treatment of chronic muscle pain, including such conditions as fibromyalgia, myofascial pain and low back pain. ..
- Central contributions to pathobiology of fibromyalgiaKathleen Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2009..the rostroventral medial medulla (RVM) mediate or maintain secondary hyperalgesia produced by intra-articular carrageenan, and the hyperalgesia associated with neuropathic pain and visceral inflammation...
- Role of ASIC3 in the etiology of fibromyalgiaKathleen A Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies could lead to peripherally based therapeutic approaches to control pain without undesirable CMS (central nervous system) side effects, including gene therapy. ..
- APS Travel AwardKathleen Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2007..C. These funds will allow trainees to attend and interact with both clinicians and researchers from multiple disciplines including medicine, nursing, psychology, and physical therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neurobiology of Musculoskeletal PainKathleen Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2005..These proposed studies are intended to help in the understanding and thus potential treatment of chronic muscle pain including such conditions as fibromyalgia, myofascial pain and low back pain. ..
- Neurobiology of Joint Manipulation Induced AnalgesiaKathleen Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information will further assist the clinician in determining the treatment of choice for a particular patient and potentially guide future clinical research. ..
- Neural blockade with vanilloidsIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2007..functions; (2) if selective neural blockade by RTX prevents and reverses pain behavior and hyperalgesia in carrageenan-induced inflammation and incisional injury; and (3) if the inactivation phase of the local effect of RTX on ..
- ACUTE TOLERANCE IN ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AND INTERACTIONSIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- PROTECTION OF GENITAL MUCOSA AND GANGLIA AGAINST HSV-2Gregg N Milligan; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies should be important for the rational development of HSV vaccines as well as understanding the cellular interactions and specific molecular mechanisms required for resolution of HSV lesions. ..
- The Regulatory Role of Spinal Lipoxins in NociceptionLinda Sorkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The aim of this proposal is to investigate the role of lipoxins in conditions associated with persistent inflammatory pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cytokine and MAP Kinase Involvement in Neuropathic PainLinda Sorkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..This approach has the potential for avoiding some of the problems that occur with complete inhibition of p38 function. ..
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The present studies aim to define the mechanisms of granuloma formation and point to specific methods to prevent granuloma formation, which will increase the utility and reduce the risks of this important pain therapy. ..
- Vaccine-elicited genital and neuronal T cell responsesGregg Milligan; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pain Mechanisms and the Development of AnalgesicsTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. COX2 inhibitors, GABApentin, ziconotide) and failures (NK1 antagonist). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Annual Meeting of the American Pain SocietyLinda Sorkin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstracts will be judged on scientific merit and published in The Journal of Pain. We believe that these awards will encourage meeting attendance by trainees. ..
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF PAINTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2005..The complexity of the problems and the diversity of the training approaches emphasize that the training received by these fellows will provide a broad base of knowledge relevant to wide areas of neurobiology. ..
- Spinal Galanin and its Receptors in Pain ProcessingTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2005..rats on models of acute nociceptive processing (thermal escape), post tissue injury pain states (formalin and carrageenan hyperalgesia), and in post nerve injury pain states (Chung tactile allodynia Vincristine evoked tactile ..
- Ca permeable non-NMDAr: New spinal sensitization pathwayLinda Sorkin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thermal and mechanical hyperalgesia following intraplantar carrageenan are blocked equally well by either NMDA or Ca-permeable non-NMDAr antagonists...
- PAIN EVOKED RELEASE OF AMINO ACIDS AND PROSTANOIDSTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- REGULATION OF MICROVASCULAR PERMEABILITY BY NITRIC OXIDEROLANDO RUMBAUT; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal is to apply the knowledge gained from these studies to allow optimal management of patients with these important clinical entities and their associated microvascular alterations. ..
- LYME DISEASE--HOST PARASITE INTERACTIONSSTEPHEN MALAWISTA; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies may provide the technical and conceptual basis for improvements in diagnostic and prognostic aspects of inflammatory diseases. ..
- Anti-HIV Microbicide: Cellulose Acetate Phthalate (CAP)A Robert Neurath; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed research is expected to help transform this ideal into a reality. ..
- Novel anti-HIV carrageenan-based on microbicidesDavid Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2004The Program Director (who is also the Project Leader [PL] of Project I) has previously developed the carrageenan microbicide, CarraguardTM (PC-515)...
- GONADAL STEROID HORMONAL REGULATION OF PESISTENT PAINKe Ren; Fiscal Year: 2002..The findings will be important for the development of new approaches to the management of these conditions. ..
- Aging Effects on a-Adrenergic Activity in Female BladderNatalia Dmitrieva; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these studies will be the basis for developing a longer research program. ..
- Zeiss Dynamic Laser TIRFRichard Minshall; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Resolution of Gouty InflammationSTEPHEN MALAWISTA; Fiscal Year: 2008..We suggest further that this reprogramming of lipid mediators may explain in part the action of therapeutic agents such as colchicine, and could lead to better treatment for this condition. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF MICROVASCULAR THROMBOSIS IN ENDOTOXEMIAROLANDO RUMBAUT; Fiscal Year: 2009..S. Our goal is to understand the causes of a severe complication of this illness, clots in tiny blood vessels. This information would help develop new treatments for patients with this devastating illness. ..
- RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ALLERGIC RHINITIS AND SINUSITISFuad Baroody; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will hopefully help to improve our therapeutic modalities for this enigmatic illness that affects millions of Americans every year. ..
- NATURAL VITAMIN E FORMS AS ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGSQing Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cytokine pathways and orofacial painKe Ren; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings will further our understanding of the etiology and pathology of muscle-related TMJDs and facilitate the search for novel and efficient I approaches for the management of persistent orofacial pain. ..
- Caveolin-1 and NO Regulate PMN-mediated Increases in Vascular PermeabilityRichard D Minshall; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Glutamate Induced Molecular Events Contributing to Chro*KARIN WESTLUND HIGH; Fiscal Year: 2002....