Genomes and Genes
Summary: A ketotriose compound. Its addition to blood preservation solutions results in better maintenance of 2,3-diphosphoglycerate levels during storage. It is readily phosphorylated to dihydroxyacetone phosphate by triokinase in erythrocytes. In combination with naphthoquinones it acts as a sunscreening agent.
Publications177 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of pyruvate and dihydroxyacetone on metabolism and aerobic endurance capacityJ L Ivy
Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, University of Texas at Austin, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 30:837-43. 1998Pyruvate and dihydroxyacetone are three carbon compounds that when infused directly into the blood or taken orally produce strong metabolic effects...
- Metabolic and regulatory changes associated with growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in 1.4 M NaCl. Evidence for osmotic induction of glycerol dissimilation via the dihydroxyacetone pathwayJ Norbeck
Department of General and Marine Microbiology, Goteborg University, Medicinaregatan 9 C, 413 90 Goteborg, Sweden
J Biol Chem 272:5544-54. 1997..We furthermore present evidence for salt induction of glycerol dissimilation via dihydroxyacetone and also identify genes putatively encoding the two enzymes involved; dihydroxyacetone kinase (DAK1 and DAK2) ..
- Microbial production of dihydroxyacetoneRuchi Mishra
Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 208016 Kanpur, India
Biotechnol Adv 26:293-303. 2008b>Dihydroxyacetone is extensively used in cosmetic industry as an artificial suntan besides having clinical and biological applications...
- Water-compatible organocatalysts for direct asymmetric syn-aldol reactions of dihydroxyacetone and aldehydesS S V Ramasastry
The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, and Departments of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Org Lett 10:1621-4. 2008A novel organocatalyst was developed that effectively catalyzed the reactions of unprotected or protected dihydroxyacetone with a variety of aldehydes to provide syn-aldol products with good yields and ee values up to >99%...
- An inducible phosphoenolpyruvate: dihydroxyacetone phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coliR Z Jin
J Gen Microbiol 130:83-8. 1984A phosphoenolpyruvate: dihydroxyacetone phosphotransferase was induced in Escherichia coli grown on dihydroxyacetone as sole carbon source or in its presence...
- Engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for the production of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) from sugars: a proof of conceptH T T Nguyen
Department of Microbiology and Genetics, Berlin University of Technology, Seestr 13, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Metab Eng 11:335-46. 2009b>Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) has numerous industrial applications. In this work, we pursue the idea to produce DHA from sugars in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, via glycerol as an intermediate...
- Dihydroxyacetone metabolism in Salinibacter ruber and in Haloquadratum walsbyiRahel Elevi Bardavid
The Institute of Life Sciences, and The Moshe Shilo Minerva Center for Marine Biogeochemistry, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, 91904, Israel
Extremophiles 12:125-31. 2008..We here identify this product of incomplete glycerol oxidation by Salinibacter as dihydroxyacetone. Genomic information suggests that H...
- Dihydroxyacetone induced autophagy in African trypanosomesNestor L Uzcategui
Interfaculty Institute of Biochemistry, University of Tubinge, Tubinge, Germany
Autophagy 3:626-9. 2007b>Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) was examined to explore its trypanocidal activity. The compound is easily taken up by trypanosomes via its aquaglyceroporins but is not converted to a glycolytic intermediate due to the lack of a respective kinase...
- Dihydroxyacetone: a safe camouflaging option in vitiligoNatta Rajatanavin
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, 270 Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Int J Dermatol 47:402-6. 2008..Most treatment protocols for vitiligo usually do not result in complete repigmentation. Therefore, cosmetically acceptable camouflage, low cost and easy to handle alternatives are warranted...
- Role of GldA in dihydroxyacetone and methylglyoxal metabolism of Escherichia coli K12Krishna P Subedi
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Yusong Ku, Taejon, Korea
FEMS Microbiol Lett 279:180-7. 2008The metabolic pathway involving dihydroxyacetone is poorly characterized although novel enzymes associated with this metabolite have recently been demonstrated...
- Antiproliferative effect of dihydroxyacetone on Trypanosoma brucei bloodstream forms: cell cycle progression, subcellular alterations, and cell deathNestor L Uzcategui
Interfaculty Institute of Biochemistry, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3960-8. 2007We evaluated the effects of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) on Trypanosoma brucei bloodstream forms. DHA is considered an energy source for many different cell types. T. brucei takes up DHA readily due to the presence of aquaglyceroporins...
- Enzymes for the NADPH-dependent reduction of dihydroxyacetone and D-glyceraldehyde and L-glyceraldehyde in the mould Hypocrea jecorinaJanis Liepins
VTT Biotechnology, Espoo, Finland
FEBS J 273:4229-35. 2006..the conversion of d-glyceraldehyde and l-glyceraldehyde to glycerol, whereas GLD2 catalyses the conversion of dihydroxyacetone to glycerol. Both enzymes are specific for NADPH as a cofactor...
- Enhancement of arm exercise endurance capacity with dihydroxyacetone and pyruvateR T Stanko
Department of Medicine, Montefiore Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213
J Appl Physiol 68:119-24. 1990The effects of dietary supplementation of dihydroxyacetone and pyruvate (DHAP) on endurance capacity and metabolic responses during arm exercise were determined in 10 untrained males (20-26 yr)...
- Transaldolase B: trapping of Schiff base intermediate between dihydroxyacetone and epsilon-amino group of active-site lysine residue by borohydride reductionGunter Schneider
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, S-171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Methods Enzymol 354:197-201. 2002
- Dihydroxyacetone and methylglyoxal as permeants of the Plasmodium aquaglyceroporin inhibit parasite proliferationSlavica Pavlovic-Djuranovic
Department of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, , Morgenstelle 8, , Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758:1012-7. 2006..we show PfAQP permeability for the glycolysis-related metabolites methylglyoxal, a cytotoxic byproduct, and dihydroxyacetone, a ketotriose. AQP3, the red cell aquaglyceroporin, also passed dihydroxacetone but excluded methylglyoxal...
- Optimization of the microbial synthesis of dihydroxyacetone from glycerol with Gluconobacter oxydansD Hekmat
Institute of Chemical Engineering, Munich University of Technology, Boltzmannstrasse 15, 85747 Garching, Germany
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 26:109-16. 2003An optimized repeated-fed-batch fermentation process for the synthesis of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) from glycerol utilizing Gluconobacter oxydans is presented...
- Alterations of the glucose metabolism in a triose phosphate isomerase-negative Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutantC Compagno
Dipartimento di Fisiologia e Biochimica Generali, Sezione Biochimica Comparata, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 26, 20133 Milan, Italy
Yeast 18:663-70. 2001The absence of triose phosphate isomerase activity causes an accumulation of only one of the two trioses, dihydroxyacetone phosphate, and this produces a shift in the final product of glucose catabolism from ethanol to glycerol (Compagno ..
- Repeated use of immobilized Gluconobacter oxydans cells for conversion of glycerol to dihydroxyacetoneShenghua Wei
State Key Lab of Bioreactor Engineering, New World Institute of Biotechnology, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, PR China
Prep Biochem Biotechnol 37:67-76. 2007b>Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is of great interest in the fine chemical and pharmaceutical industry; therefore, the discovery of suitable biocatalysts for the efficient production of it is very necessary...
- Contribution of L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine metabolism to the inhibition of gluconeogenesis in rabbit kidney-cortex tubulesJakub Drozak
Department of Metabolic Regulation, Institute of Biochemistry, Warsaw University, ul. Miecznikowa 1, 02-096 Warszawa, Poland
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37:1269-80. 2005..is accompanied by 25-40% decrease in glucose production from pyruvate, alanine + glycerol + octanoate and dihydroxyacetone due to augmented generation of hydrogen peroxide via monoamine oxidase B, resulting in a decline of ..
- Production of Gluconobacter oxydans cells from low-cost culture medium for conversion of glycerol to dihydroxyacetoneShenghua Wei
State Key Lab of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, PR China
Prep Biochem Biotechnol 37:113-21. 2007Gluconobacter oxydans could be immobilized as a biocatalyst for the conversion of glycerol to dihydroxyacetone. To reduce the production cost, the cells were produced from agricultural byproducts...
- Role of botrytized grape micro-organisms in SO2 binding phenomenaJ C Barbe
, , Talence Cedex, France
J Appl Microbiol 90:34-42. 2001..produce gluconic acid (in balance with delta-gluconolactone) from glucose, 5-oxofructose from fructose and dihydroxyacetone from glycerol...
- The effect of sunless tanning on behavior in the sun: a pilot studyDaniel J Sheehan
Section of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30904, USA
South Med J 98:1192-5. 2005..Physicians should advocate the use of sunless tanning to their patients who use traditional UVL tanning beds as a means of decreasing their UVL exposure and cancer risk...
- Factors influencing sunless tanning with dihydroxyacetoneB-C Nguyen
Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, WEL-224, Harvard Medical School, 50 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Br J Dermatol 149:332-40. 2003..The pigment is the product of reactions between dihydroxyacetone (DHA) and amino acids in the stratum corneum...
- Durability of the sun protection factor provided by dihydroxyacetoneA Faurschou
Department of Dermatology, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke, University of Copenhagen, 23 DK 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 20:239-42. 2004The sunless tanning agent dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is known to protect against longwave ultraviolet radiation (UVA) and visible light...
- Sunless skin tanning with dihydroxyacetone delays broad-spectrum ultraviolet photocarcinogenesis in hairless miceAnita B Petersen
Department of Dermatology D92, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, DK-2400, Copenhagen NV, Denmark
Mutat Res 542:129-38. 2003Sunless tanning with dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is not considered to be a sunscreen although it does absorb parts of the ultraviolet (UV) spectrum...
- Don't be in the dark about tanningMichelle Meadows
FDA Consum 37:16-7. 2003
- By the way, doctor. I'd like to keep the tanned look I got during summer vacation. Are self-tanning lotions and sprays a good idea? Are they safe to use?Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Harv Womens Health Watch 14:8. 2006
- The maillard reaction for sunlight protectionRamon M Fusaro
Dept of Internal Medicine, 984360 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 4360, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1043:174-83. 2005..spring, summer, and fall, 30 UVA/B/Soret band-photosensitive patients used sequential topical applications of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) followed by naphthoquinone only at bedtime and received excellent photoprotection without a single ..
- Cloning, heterologous expression, and characterization of three aquaglyceroporins from Trypanosoma bruceiNestor L Uzcategui
Biochemical Institute, Department of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, and Institute of Physiology, ,
J Biol Chem 279:42669-76. 2004..TbAQP expression in Xenopus oocytes increased permeability for water, glycerol and, interestingly, dihydroxyacetone. Except for urea, TbAQPs were virtually impermeable for other polyols; only TbAQP3 transported erythritol and ..
- Comparative genomic analysis of dha regulon and related genes for anaerobic glycerol metabolism in bacteriaJibin Sun
GBF - German Research Center for Biotechnology, Mascheroder Weg 1, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Biotechnol Prog 19:263-72. 2003The dihydroxyacetone (dha) regulon of bacteria encodes genes for the anaerobic metabolism of glycerol...
- Cloning, sequencing and characterization of a gene encoding dihydroxyacetone kinase from Zygosaccharomyces rouxii NRRL2547Zheng-Xiang Wang
Department of Microbiology, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag X1, 7602 Matieland, South Africa
Yeast 19:1447-58. 2002The dihydroxyacetone pathway, an alternative pathway for the dissimilation of glycerol via reduction by glycerol dehydrogenase and subsequent phosphorylation by dihydroxyacetone (DHA) kinase, is activated in the yeasts Saccharomyces ..
- Cloning and overexpression in Escherichia coli of the gene encoding dihydroxyacetone kinase isoenzyme I from Schizosaccharomyces pombe, and its application to dihydroxyacetone phosphate productionN Itoh
Biotechnology Research Center, Toyama Prefectural University, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 51:193-200. 1999The gene dak1 encoding a dihydroxyacetone kinase (DHAK) isoenzyme I, one of two isoenzymes in the Schizosaccharomyces pombe IFO 0354 strain, was cloned and sequenced. The dak1 gene comprises 1743 bp and encodes a protein of 62,245 Da...
- A metabolic study of the regulation of proteolysis by sugars in maize root tips: effects of glycerol and dihydroxyacetoneRenaud Brouquisse
Unité Mixte de Recherche de Physiologie et Biotechnologie Végétales, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Universite de Bordeaux 1, IFR 103, BP 81, 33883 Villenave d Ornon Cedex, France
Planta 225:693-709. 2007..sugar sensing and signaling we compared the effects of carbon starvation with those of glucose, glycerol and dihydroxyacetone on carbon metabolism, proteolysis, and protease expression in excised maize (Zea mays L.) root tips...
- Formation of pyrazines and a novel pyrrole in Maillard model systems of 1,3-dihydroxyacetone and 2-oxopropanalAn Adams
Department of Organic Chemistry, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Agric Food Chem 56:2147-53. 2008..The model reaction of 20 different amino acids with 1,3-dihydroxyacetone, as a precursor of 2-oxopropanal, was studied by means of SPME-GC-MS to investigate the involvement of the ..
- Glyceraldehyde metabolism in human erythrocytes in comparison with that of glucose and dihydroxyacetoneTadao Taguchi
Department of Pathobiochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Meijo University, Nagoya 468-8503, Japan
Cell Biochem Funct 20:223-6. 2002Metabolism of D-glyceraldehyde in human erythrocytes in comparison with that of glucose and dihydroxyacetone was studied. Both trioses were metabolized to produce L-lactate at rates comparable to that of L-lactate formation from glucose...
- Mitochondrial metabolism sets the maximal limit of fuel-stimulated insulin secretion in a model pancreatic beta cell: a survey of four fuel secretagoguesPeter A Antinozzi
Division of Clinical Biochemistry and Experimental Diabetology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 277:11746-55. 2002..each of these metabolic pathways, we have compared the fates of four fuel secretagogues (glucose, pyruvate, dihydroxyacetone, and glycerol) in the INS1-E beta cell line...
- Interrelation between the inhibition of glycolytic flux by silibinin and the lowering of mitochondrial ROS production in perifused rat hepatocytesDominique Detaille
Departamento de Fisiologia y Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Salamanca, Campus Miguel de Unamuno, E D S 11, E 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Life Sci 82:1070-6. 2008....
- Mimicking fructose and rhamnulose aldolases: organocatalytic syn-aldol reactions with unprotected dihydroxyacetoneS S V Ramasastry
The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology and Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 46:5572-5. 2007
- Mimicking aldolases through organocatalysis: syn-selective aldol reactions with protected dihydroxyacetoneNaoto Utsumi
The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology and Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Org Lett 9:3445-8. 2007..Threonine-based catalysts facilitated the aldol reaction of protected dihydroxyacetone or protected hydroxacetone with a variety of aldehydes to provide syn-aldol products with good yields and ee'..
- Highly enantioselective direct syn- and anti-aldol reactions of dihydroxyacetones catalyzed by chiral primary amine catalystsSanzhong Luo
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences BNLMS, Center for Chemical Biology, Institute of Chemistry and Graduate School, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Org Lett 10:653-6. 2008..This type of organocatalysts functionally mimics all four DHA aldolases, namely L-fuculose-1-phosphate aldolase, D-tagatose-1,6-diphosphate aldolase, D-fructose-1,6-diphosphate aldolase, and L-rhamnulose-1-phosphate aldolase...
- [Effects of H2O2 addition on oxygen supply and metabolism of microorganisms]Shuliang Li
Department of Chemical Engineering, Institute of Biochemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 42:129-32. 2002
- Influence of hydration on dihydroxyacetone-induced pigmentation of stratum corneumBach-Cuc Nguyen
Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
J Invest Dermatol 120:655-61. 2003b>Dihydroxyacetone, the browning ingredient in sunless tanning formulations, reacts with amino acids in the outer stratum corneum to form a mixture of high molecular weight pigments...
- Modulated photoacoustic spectroscopy study of an artificial tanning on human skin induced by dihydroxyacetoneN Benamar
Departement de Physique, Faculté des Sciences de Meknès, Université Moulay Ismaïl BP 4010 Beni M hamed, Meknes, Morocco
Physiol Meas 25:1199-210. 2004A modulated photoacoustic spectroscopy study on the effect of dihydroxyacetone, commonly used for artificial tan, is presented...
- Sunless tanningJennifer M Fu
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Dermatology Service, Department of Medicine, New York, New York 10022, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:706-13. 2004..Future investigations are warranted to assess both the medical and behavioral implications of perpetuating the aesthetic appeal of the tan...
- Sun protection effect of dihydroxyacetoneAnnesofie Faurschou
Arch Dermatol 140:886-7. 2004
- UV-generated free radicals (FR) in skin: their prevention by sunscreens and their induction by self-tanning agentsK Jung
Gematria Test Lab, Berlin, Germany
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 69:1423-8. 2008..effect of UV filters and sunscreens as well as the radical induction capacity of self-tanning agents as dihydroxyacetone (DHA)...
- Xanthotrichia (yellow hair) due to selenium sulfide and dihydroxyacetoneNoel Prevost
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Dermatology, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 7:689-91. 2008..Two cases of new chemicals causing yellow hair shaft discoloration are reported. The chemicals include selenium sulfide 2.5% shampoo and dihydroxyacetone.
- Self-tanning lotions: are they a healthy way to achieve a tan?Zoe D Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University, North Carolina and Dermatology Consulting Services, Winston Salem, High Point, North Carolina, USA
Am J Clin Dermatol 3:317-8. 2002Self-tanning creams utilize dihydroxyacetone (DHA) as an active agent, to produce a temporary staining of the skin...
- Dihydroxyacetone, the active browning ingredient in sunless tanning lotions, induces DNA damage, cell-cycle block and apoptosis in cultured HaCaT keratinocytesAnita B Petersen
Department of Dermatology, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, DK-2400 Copenhagen, NV, Denmark
Mutat Res 560:173-86. 2004b>Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), the active substance in sunless tanning lotions reacts with the amino groups of proteins to form a brown-colored complex...
- Detailed investigation of the production of the bread flavor component 6-acetyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydropyridine in proline/1,3-dihydroxyacetone model systemsAn Adams
Department of Organic Chemistry, Faculty of Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Agric Food Chem 52:5685-93. 2004..ATHP), an important Maillard flavor component, in the reaction of L-(-)-proline and 1,3-dihydroxyacetone was investigated as a function of different reaction conditions...
- Is reduction of the sulfonated tetrazolium 2,3-bis (2-methoxy-4-nitro-5-sulfophenyl)-2-tetrazolium 5-carboxanilide a reliable measure of intracellular superoxide production?Ludmil Benov
The Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923, 13110, Safat, Kuwait
Anal Biochem 310:186-90. 2002..We now show that soluble extracts of Escherichia coli contain two NADPH:XTT reductases that act aerobically or anaerobically. That being the case, XTT reduction is not a reliable measure of intracellular O(2)(-)...
- The nicotinamide biosynthetic pathway is a by-product of the RNA worldH J Cleaves
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0506, USA
J Mol Evol 52:73-7. 2001..The most primitive pathway for nicotinic acid biosynthesis is the reaction of aspartic acid with dihydroxyacetone phosphate...
- Superoxide-dependence of the short chain sugars-induced mutagenesisLudmil Benov
The Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Free Radic Biol Med 34:429-33. 2003..Glycolaldehyde, glyceraldehyde, and dihydroxyacetone greatly enhanced the mutation rates in SOD-deficient E. coli...
- H2S cytotoxicity mechanism involves reactive oxygen species formation and mitochondrial depolarisationMohammad A Eghbal
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S2
Toxicology 203:69-76. 2004..Treatment of H2S poisoning may benefit from interventions aimed at minimizing ROS-induced damage and reducing mitochondrial damage...
- Overexpression of short heterodimer partner recovers impaired glucose-stimulated insulin secretion of pancreatic beta-cells overexpressing UCP2Y-H Suh
Department of Physiology and Chronic Disease Research Center, Keimyung University School of Medicine, 194 Dongsan-Dong, Jung-gu, Daegu, 700-712, South Korea
J Endocrinol 183:133-44. 2004..KATP channel inhibition mediated by dihydroxyacetone, which gives reducing equivalents directly to complex II of the electron transport system, was similar in Ad-..
- Glucose 6-phosphate hydrolysis is activated by glucagon in a low temperature-sensitive mannerC Ichai
, , Grenoble 38041, France
J Biol Chem 276:28126-33. 2001..By using a model of liver cells, perifused with dihydroxyacetone, we show here that the acute stimulation of gluconeogenesis by glucagon (10(-7) m) was not related to the ..
- Crystal structures of human glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase 1 (GPD1)Xianjin Ou
National Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, Institute of Biophysics IBP, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
J Mol Biol 357:858-69. 2006..sapiens L-alpha-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase 1 (GPD1) catalyzes the reversible biological conversion of dihydroxyacetone (DHAP) to glycerol-3-phosphate...
- The dihydroxyacetone unit--a versatile C(3) building block in organic synthesisDieter Enders
Institut fur Organische Chemie, Rheinisch Westfalische Technische Hochschule, Professor Pirlet Strasse 1, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 44:1304-25. 2005Nature employs dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) as the donor component in various enzyme-catalyzed aldol reactions...
- Microbial aldolases as C-C bonding enzymes--unknown treasures and new developmentsAnne K Samland
, , Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 71:253-64. 2006..These are either other dihydroxyacetone phosphate aldolases or aldolases depending on pyruvate/phosphoenolpyruvate, glycine, or acetaldehyde as donor ..
- Dihydroxyacetone variants in the organocatalytic construction of carbohydrates: mimicking tagatose and fuculose aldolasesJeff T Suri
Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Org Chem 71:3822-8. 2006b>Dihydroxyacetone variants have been explored as donors in organocatalytic aldol reactions with various aldehyde and ketone acceptors...
- Subcellular localization of liver FBPase is modulated by metabolic conditionsAlejandro J Yañez
Instituto de Bioquimica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Austral de Chile, Casilla 567, Valdivia, Chile
FEBS Lett 577:154-8. 2004In primary cultured hepatocytes, fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase (FBPase) localization is modulated by glucose, dihydroxyacetone (DHA) and insulin...
- Crystal structure of the reduced Schiff-base intermediate complex of transaldolase B from Escherichia coli: mechanistic implications for class I aldolasesJ Jia
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Protein Sci 6:119-24. 1997Transaldolase catalyzes transfer of a dihydroxyacetone moiety from a ketose donor to an aldose acceptor...
- A convenient synthesis of immunosuppressive agent FTY720 using the petasis reactionShigeo Sugiyama
Meiji Pharmaceutical University, Tokyo, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 53:100-2. 2005..Hydroboration of 11 using catecholborane and hydrolysis gave (E)-2-(4-octylphenyl)vinylboronic acid (4). The Petasis reaction of 4, dihydroxyacetone (3), and benzylamine following catalytic hydrogenation afforded FTY720 (1).
- New quinoproteins in oxidative fermentationO Adachi
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1647:10-7. 2003..b>Dihydroxyacetone can be replaced by L-erythrulose for cosmetics for those who are sensitive to dihydroxyacetone...
- New developments in oxidative fermentationO Adachi
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 60:643-53. 2003..oxidize meso-erythritol at 37 degrees C leading to the accumulation of L-erythrulose, which may replace dihydroxyacetone in cosmetics. G...
- Pseudo infantile Refsum's disease: catalase-deficient peroxisomal particles with partial deficiency of plasmalogen synthesis and oxidation of fatty acidsP Aubourg
INSERM U342, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Pediatr Res 34:270-6. 1993..of phytanic and pipecolic acids was severely impaired, whereas oxidation of very-long-chain fatty acids and dihydroxyacetone phosphate acyltransferase activity were only partially decreased...
- Starch degradation in chloroplasts isolated from C3 or CAM (crassulacean acid metabolism)-induced Mesembryanthemum crystallinum LH E Neuhaus
Fachbereich Biologie chemie, Universitat Osnabruck, Germany
Biochem J 318:945-53. 1996..exported into the incubation medium by these chloroplasts are glucose 6-phosphate, 3-phosphoglyceric acid, dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glucose...
- Immunological analyses of alkyl-dihydroxyacetone-phosphate synthase in human peroxisomal disordersJ Biermann
Centre for Biomembranes and Lipid Enzymology, Institute for Biomembranes, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Eur J Cell Biol 78:339-48. 1999..Immunoelectron microscopy showed that the enzyme is predominantly located on the lumenal side of the peroxisomal membrane in rat and guinea pig liver...
- Structural insights into the substrate binding and stereoselectivity of giardia fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolaseAndrey Galkin
W M Keck Laboratory for Structural Biology, Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
Biochemistry 48:3186-96. 2009..class II zinc-dependent aldolase family that catalyzes the cleavage of d-fructose 1,6-bisphosphate (FBP) into dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) and d-glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate (G3P)...
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of various carbonyl compounds against cyanide toxicity with particular reference to alpha-ketoglutaric acidRahul Bhattacharya
Defence Research and Development Establishment, Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Gwalior, India
Drug Chem Toxicol 31:149-61. 2008..acid, maleic acid, malic acid, fumaric and oxaloacetic acid, glucose, sucrose, fructose, mannitol, sorbitol, dihydroxyacetone, and glyoxal (5 or 10 mM; -10 min) against toxicity of potassium cyanide (KCN; 10 mM) in rat thymocytes in ..
- Betaines and dimethylsulfoniopropionate as major osmolytes in cnidaria with endosymbiotic dinoflagellatesPaul H Yancey
Biology Department, Whitman College, Walla Walla, Washington 99362, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 83:167-73. 2010..An enzymatic assay for glycerol plus glycerol 3-phosphate and dihydroxyacetone phosphate yielded 1-10 mmol/kg...
- Dihydroxyacetone phosphate acyltransferase and alkyldihydroxyacetone phosphate synthase activities in rat liver subcellular fractions and human skin fibroblastsH Singh
Department of Chemical Pathology, Adelaide Children s Hospital, South Australia
Arch Biochem Biophys 268:676-86. 1989b>Dihydroxyacetone phosphate acyltransferase (DHAP-AT) and alkyldihydroxyacetone phosphate synthase (DHAP-synthase) activities were examined in subcellular fractions of rat liver...
- Proteotoxicity and the contrasting effects of oxaloacetate and glycerol on Caenorhabditis elegans life span: a role for methylglyoxal?Alan R Hipkiss
School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Rejuvenation Res 13:547-51. 2010..It is proposed that, if not secreted by aquaporin, glycerol is converted to glycerol phosphate and then to dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) via a reaction requiring nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD(+))...
- Glycerol is metabolized in a complex and strain-dependent manner in Enterococcus faecalisAlain Bizzini
Laboratoire de Microbiologie de l Environnement, Universite de Caen, EA956 USC INRA2017 IFR 146, 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 192:779-85. 2010..oxidase (the glpK pathway) or first be oxidized by glycerol dehydrogenase and then phosphorylated by dihydroxyacetone kinase (the dhaK pathway)...
- Transaldolase B of Escherichia coli K-12: cloning of its gene, talB, and characterization of the enzyme from recombinant strainsG A Sprenger
Institut für Biotechnologie 1, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, Julich, Germany
J Bacteriol 177:5930-6. 1995..gene onto high-copy-number vectors, transaldolase B (D-sedoheptulose-7-phosphate:D-glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dihydroxyacetone transferase; EC 18.104.22.168) was overexpressed up to 12.7 U mg of protein-1 compared with less than 0...
- Metabolic flux and metabolic network analysis of Penicillium chrysogenum using 2D [13C, 1H] COSY NMR measurements and cumulative bondomer simulationWouter A van Winden
Bioprocestechnology Group, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
Biotechnol Bioeng 83:75-92. 2003..transketolase and transaldolase reactions, extending the glycolysis with a fructose 6-phosphate aldolase/dihydroxyacetone kinase reaction sequence or adding a phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase reaction to the model considerably ..
- Microbial conversion of glycerol to 1,3-propanediol: physiological comparison of a natural producer, Clostridium butyricum VPI 3266, and an engineered strain, Clostridium acetobutylicum DG1(pSPD5)Maria Gonzalez-Pajuelo
Escola Superior B8iotecnologia, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, Rua Dr Antonio Bernardino de Almeida, 4200 072 Porto, Portugal
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:96-101. 2006..Firstly, the pathway for glycerol oxidation was different: C. butyricum uses a glycerol dehydrogenase and a dihydroxyacetone kinase, while C. acetobutylicum uses a glycerol kinase and a glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase...
- Dihydroxyacetone phosphate aldolase catalyzed synthesis of structurally diverse polyhydroxylated pyrrolidine derivatives and evaluation of their glycosidase inhibitory propertiesJordi Calveras
Biotransformation and Bioactive Molecules group, Catalonia Institute for Advanced Chemistry CSIC, Jordi Girona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Chemistry 15:7310-28. 2009..The chemoenzymatic synthesis of a collection of pyrrolidine-type iminosugars generated by the aldol addition of dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) to C-alpha-substituted N-Cbz-2-aminoaldehydes derivatives, catalyzed by DHAP aldolases is ..
- Rickettsia prowazekii uses an sn-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase and a novel dihydroxyacetone phosphate transport system to supply triose phosphate for phospholipid biosynthesisKyla M Frohlich
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, Alabama 36688, USA
J Bacteriol 192:4281-8. 2010..Here we describe a novel biochemical pathway that relies on rickettsial transport of host cytosolic dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP) and its subsequent conversion to sn-glycerol-3-phosphate (G3P) for synthesis of ..
- In vivo selection for the directed evolution of L-rhamnulose aldolase from L-rhamnulose-1-phosphate aldolase (RhaD)Masakazu Sugiyama
Department of Chemistry and The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 15:5905-11. 2007b>Dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP)-dependent aldolases have been widely used for organic synthesis. The major drawback of DHAP-dependent aldolases is their strict donor substrate specificity toward DHAP, which is expensive and unstable...
- Kinetic regulation of the mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase by the external NADH dehydrogenase in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeInga Lill Pahlman
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology Microbiology, Lundberg Laboratory, Gothenburg University, Sweden
J Biol Chem 277:27991-5. 2002..In the latter system, NADH is oxidized to NAD+ and dihydroxyacetone phosphate is reduced to glycerol 3-phosphate by the cytosolic Gpd1p; glycerol 3-phosphate gives two electrons ..
- Glycerol metabolism is important for cytotoxicity of Mycoplasma pneumoniaeClaudine Hames
Department of General Microbiology, Georg August University Gottingen, Grisebachstr 8, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:747-53. 2009..involves uptake by facilitated diffusion, phosphorylation, and the oxidation of glycerol 3-phosphate to dihydroxyacetone phosphate, a glycolytic intermediate...
- Characterization of quinolinate synthases from Escherichia coli, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and Pyrococcus horikoshii indicates that [4Fe-4S] clusters are common cofactors throughout this class of enzymesAllison H Saunders
Department of Chemistry and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Biochemistry 47:10999-1012. 2008Quinolinate synthase (NadA) catalyzes a unique condensation reaction between iminoaspartate and dihydroxyacetone phosphate, affording quinolinic acid, a central intermediate in the biosynthesis of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD)...
- Mouse lacking NAD+-linked glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase has normal pancreatic beta cell function but abnormal metabolite pattern in skeletal muscleM J MacDonald
University of Wisconsin Childrens Diabetes Center, Madison 53706, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 384:143-53. 2000..Levels of glycerol phosphate (low) and dihydroxyacetone phosphate (high) were very abnormal in nonislet tissue, especially in skeletal muscle...
- Glycerol metabolism and PrfA activity in Listeria monocytogenesBiju Joseph
Institut für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie, Universitat Wurzburg, Gebäude E1, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Bacteriol 190:5412-30. 2008..were higher in the presence of glycerol than in the presence of glucose and cellobiose included those for two dihydroxyacetone (Dha) kinases and many genes that are under carbon catabolite repression control...
- Topography of ether phospholipid biosynthesisD Hardeman
Centre for Biomembranes and Lipid Enzymology, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1006:1-8. 1989The enzyme, dihydroxyacetone-phosphate acyltransferase (DHAP-AT) is localized at the inner surface of the peroxisomal membrane but shows no latency. The product, i.e...
- Kinetic study of sn-glycerol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase from the aerobic hyperthermophilic archaeon, Aeropyrum pernix K1Jin Suk Han
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Ikeda, Osaka, Japan
Eur J Biochem 269:969-76. 2002..The enzyme showed substrate specificity for NAD(P)H-dependent dihydroxyacetone phosphate reduction and NAD(+)-dependent glycerol-1-phosphate (Gro1P) oxidation...
- Identification of arginine 331 as an important active site residue in the class II fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolase of Escherichia coliS Qamar
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Protein Sci 5:154-61. 1996..Comparatively small differences in the inhibitor constant Ki for dihydroxyacetone phosphate or its analogue, 2-phosphoglycolate, were found between the wild-type and mutant enzymes...
- Skin pigmentation enhancersD A Brown
AGI Dermatics, 205 Buffalo Avenue, Freeport, NY 11520, USA
J Photochem Photobiol B 63:148-61. 2001..These include topically applied substances that simulate natural pigmentation: dihydroxyacetone and melanins; and substances that stimulate the natural pigmentation process: psoralens with UVA (PUVA), ..
- Mechanism of the Schiff base forming fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolase: structural analysis of reaction intermediatesEsben Lorentzen
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Hamburg Outstation, Germany
Biochemistry 44:4222-9. 2005..FBPA) catalyzes the reversible cleavage of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate to glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate and dihydroxyacetone phosphate...
- Fructose-6-phosphate aldolase is a novel class I aldolase from Escherichia coli and is related to a novel group of bacterial transaldolasesM Schurmann
Institut für Biotechnologie 1, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, D 52425 Julich, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:11055-61. 2001..mg(-)1 of protein was found; K(m) values for the substrates were 9 mm for fructose 6-phosphate, 35 mm for dihydroxyacetone, and 0.8 mm for glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate...
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of native and selenomethionine fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolase from Thermus aquaticusV Sauvé
Departement de Biochimie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal H3C 3J7, Canada
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 57:310-3. 2001..C. 4.1.2) catalyses the reversible cleavage of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate to dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate in the glycolytic pathway of prokaryote and eukaryote organisms...
- Modulation of the interaction between aldolase and glycerol-phosphate dehydrogenase by fructose phosphatesB G Vertessy
Institute of Enzymology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
Biochim Biophys Acta 1078:236-42. 1991..Fructose-1-phosphate or dihydroxyacetone phosphate had no effect on the dissociation constant of the aldolase-dehydrogenase complex...
- Inherited disorders of fatty alcohol metabolismW B Rizzo
Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 23298 0259, USA
Mol Genet Metab 65:63-73. 1998..SjÃ¶gren-Larsson syndrome) and deficient incorporation of fatty alcohol into ether lipids (isolated alkyl dihydroxyacetone phosphate synthase deficiency)...
- Differential effects of selegiline on glucose synthesis in rabbit kidney-cortex tubules and hepatocytes. In vitro and in vivo studiesJakub Drozak
Department of Metabolic Regulation, Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw, ul I Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warszawa, Poland
Chem Biol Interact 170:162-76. 2007..concentration selegiline markedly diminished glucose synthesis in isolated renal tubules incubated with dihydroxyacetone or alanine+glycerol+octanoate (by about 60 and 30%, respectively), while at 5 microM concentration a similar ..
- Posttranslational regulation of fatty acyl-CoA reductase 1, Far1, controls ether glycerophospholipid synthesisMasanori Honsho
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
J Biol Chem 285:8537-42. 2010..alkyl bond is formed in peroxisomes by replacement of a fatty acyl chain in the intermediate 1-acyl-dihydroxyacetone phosphate with a fatty alcohol in a reaction catalyzed by alkyl dihydroxyacetone phosphate synthase...
- Metabolomic and mass isotopomer analysis of liver gluconeogenesis and citric acid cycle: II. Heterogeneity of metabolite labeling patternLili Yang
Departments of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 283:21988-96. 2008..ii) differences in the labeling ratios C-4/C-3 of glucose versus (glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate)/(dihydroxyacetone phosphate); and (iii) labeling of citric acid cycle intermediates in tissue versus effluent perfusate...
- A survey of amoebic infections and differentiation of an Entamoeba histolytica-like variant (JSK2004) in nonhuman primates by a multiplex polymerase chain reactionJun Suzuki
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Microbiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Public Health, 3 24 1, Hyakunin cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 169 0073, Japan
J Zoo Wildl Med 39:370-9. 2008..e., JSK04-Eh-V). An axenic culture medium (yeast extract-iron-maltose-dihydroxyacetone-serum) was developed based on the yeast extract-iron-gluconic acid-dihydroxyacetone-serum medium, which is ..
- Synthesis of sn-glycerol 3-phosphate, a key precursor of membrane lipids, in Bacillus subtilisH R Morbidoni
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
J Bacteriol 177:5899-905. 1995..The gene was sequenced and found to encode an NAD(P)H-dependent dihydroxyacetone phosphate reductase with a deduced molecular mass of 39.5 kDa...
- Mechanistic implications of methylglyoxal synthase complexed with phosphoglycolohydroxamic acid as observed by X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopyG T Marks
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226 3548, USA
Biochemistry 40:6805-18. 2001..similarities, yet the reactions catalyzed by both enzymes are similar, in that both initially convert dihydroxyacetone phosphate to a cis-enediolic intermediate...
- MECHANISMS INVOLVED IN FLAVIN-LINKED OXYGEN METABOLISMAl Claiborne; Fiscal Year: 2005..from Enterococcus faecalis, and (3) alpha-glycerophosphate oxidase (GlpO; alpha-glycerophosphate + O2 - to dihydroxyacetone phosphate + H2O2) from Streptococcus sp...
- Identification of Metabolic Virulence Factors in the Epidemic Typhus RickettsiaJONATHON AUDIA; Fiscal Year: 2007..3'dephosphoCoA (DPC) and 2) rickettsial acquisition of sn-glycerol-3-phosphate (G3P) via transport of G3P and dihydroxyacetone phosphate (DHAP)...
- Genetic Dissection of Age-dependent Neuroprotection Mechanisms in DrosophilaBARRY S GANETZKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..encodes the glycolytic enzyme, triose phosphate isomerase (Tpi) responsible for the interconversion of DHAP (dihydroxyacetone phosphate) and GAP (glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate), only the latter of which is able to continue through ..
- Investigation of a Behavioral Substitute for SunbathingSherry Pagoto; Fiscal Year: 2007..products that come in the form of creams, foams, and sprays to be applied directly to the skin and contain dihydroxyacetone (DMA), a colorless vegetable-derived sugar that temporarily stains the skin a tan color...
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF KINAMYCINS AND LOMAIVITICINSK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2007..feature a unified, highly convergent strategy involving the sequential asymmetric alkylation of a chiral 1,3-dihydroxyacetone equivalent to establish the complete carbon framework of the target molecules, followed by a highly selective ..
- SYNTHESIS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSK C Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2010..feature a unified, highly convergent strategy involving the sequential asymmetric alkylation of a chiral 1,3-dihydroxyacetone equivalent to establish the complete carbon framework of the target molecules, followed by a highly selective ..
- REACTIVE INTERMEDIATES OF ENZYMATIC REACTIONSJohn Richard; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Glucose/Secreatogogue Metabolism in Pancreatic isletsMichael MacDonald; Fiscal Year: 2007..Resulting decreases in insulin release will be compared with alterations in metabolic pathways. In Aim 2B limited focused studies of beta ceil cataplerosis in type 2 diabetes will be performed. ..
- GLUCOSE/SECRETAGOGUE METABOLISM IN PANCREATIC ISLETSMichael MacDonald; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Structural Studies of Metabolic Membrane ProteinsJoanne Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our specific aims are to obtain atomic resolution structures of both membrane proteins, both of which are likely to be novel targets for antibiotic design and therapy. ..
- GLUCOSE/SECRETAGOGUE METABOLISM IN PANCREATIC ISLETSMICHAEL JOHN MACDONALD; Fiscal Year: 2010....