Genomes and Genes
Summary: A blood plasma glycoprotein that mediates cell adhesion and interacts with proteins of the complement, coagulation, and fibrinolytic cascade. (From Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Publications288 found, 100 shown here
- Integrin-linked kinase is required for vitronectin-mediated internalization of Streptococcus pneumoniae by host cellsSimone Bergmann
Max von Pettenkofer Institute for Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Pettenkoferstrasse 9a, 80336 Munchen, Germany
J Cell Sci 122:256-67. 2009..Here, we characterized the interaction of pneumococci with the adhesive glycoprotein vitronectin and the contribution of this protein to pneumococcal uptake by host cells in an integrin-dependent manner...
- Vitronectin and collagen I differentially regulate osteogenesis in mesenchymal stem cellsAnup K Kundu
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of California, Irvine, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 347:347-57. 2006..To investigate this question, we cultured MSCs on purified vitronectin or type-I collagen, motivated by our earlier tissue engineering work demonstrating that MSC adhesion to polymer ..
- Involvement of vitronectin in lipopolysaccaride-induced acute lung injuryYuko Tsuruta
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Immunol 179:7079-86. 2007b>Vitronectin is present in large concentrations in serum and participates in regulation of humoral responses, including coagulation, fibrinolysis, and complement activation...
- The initial steps of ovarian cancer cell metastasis are mediated by MMP-2 cleavage of vitronectin and fibronectinHilary A Kenny
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Section of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Clin Invest 118:1367-79. 2008..MMP-2 enhanced peritoneal adhesion of OvCa cells through cleavage of ECM proteins fibronectin (FN) and vitronectin (Vn) into small fragments and increased binding of OvCa cells to these FN and Vn fragments and their receptors, ..
- Mechanisms of integrin-vascular endothelial growth factor receptor cross-activation in angiogenesisGanapati H Mahabeleshwar
Department of Molecular Cardiology, The Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Circ Res 101:570-80. 2007....
- Fibronectin- and vitronectin-induced microglial activation and matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression is mediated by integrins alpha5beta1 and alphavbeta5Richard Milner
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, 20550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 178:8158-67. 2007..the blood-brain barrier is compromised, which leads to deposition of the plasma proteins fibronectin and vitronectin in cerebral parenchyma...
- Vitronectin and its receptorsB Felding Habermann
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037
Curr Opin Cell Biol 5:864-8. 1993The extracellular matrix protein vitronectin is recognized as an adhesive substrate by cells expressing at least one of four known vitronectin receptors: integrins alpha v beta 1, alpha v beta 3, alpha v beta 5 or alpha IIb beta 3...
- Extracellular matrix remodeling by human granzyme B via cleavage of vitronectin, fibronectin, and lamininMarguerite S Buzza
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton 3800, Australia
J Biol Chem 280:23549-58. 2005..revealed that GrB efficiently cleaves three proteins involved in extracellular matrix structure and function: vitronectin, fibronectin, and laminin...
- Substrate-bound insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I-IGF binding protein-vitronectin-stimulated breast cell migration is enhanced by coactivation of the phosphatidylinositide 3-Kinase/AKT pathway by alphav-integrins and the IGF-I receptorBrett G Hollier
Tissue Repair and Regeneration ProgramInstitute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, 60 Musk Avenue, Kelvin Grove, Queensland 4059, Australia
Endocrinology 149:1075-90. 2008IGF-I can bind to the extracellular matrix protein vitronectin (VN) through the involvement of IGF-binding proteins-2, -3, -4, and -5...
- Recombinant vitronectin is a functionally defined substrate that supports human embryonic stem cell self-renewal via alphavbeta5 integrinStefan R Braam
Leiden University Medical Centre, Postal Zone S 1 P, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Stem Cells 26:2257-65. 2008..Cells attached efficiently to natural human vitronectin, fibronectin, and Matrigel but poorly to laminin + entactin and collagen IV...
- Vitronectin in bacterial pathogenesis: a host protein used in complement escape and cellular invasionBirendra Singh
Medical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine Malmö, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Mol Microbiol 78:545-60. 2010The multifunctional human glycoprotein vitronectin (Vn) plays a significant role in cell migration, tissue repair and regulation of membrane attack complex (MAC) formation...
- Nano-topography sensing by osteoclastsDafna Geblinger
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
J Cell Sci 123:1503-10. 2010..The mechanisms whereby the physical properties of the substrate influence osteoclast behavior and their involvement in osteoclast function are discussed...
- Vitronectin in the cirrhotic liver: an immunomarker of mature fibrosisG K Koukoulis
Department of Pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hum Pathol 32:1356-62. 2001b>Vitronectin (Vn) is a multifunctional plasma glycoprotein produced by hepatocytes. Vn has been studied extensively as a cell adhesion molecule...
- TLR3 activation inhibits human mast cell attachment to fibronectin and vitronectinM Kulka
Allergy-Immunology Division, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 240 E Huron McGaw Pavilion #2305, Chicago, IL, USA
Mol Immunol 43:1579-86. 2006..affect mast cells via an influence on adhesion, we employed huMC; and as substrates, fibronectin (FN) and vitronectin (VN). huMC were thus treated with double-stranded RNA (dsRNA) and adhesion to ECM was quantified...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and vitronectin promote the cellular clearance of thrombin by low density lipoprotein receptor-related proteins 1 and 2S Stefansson
Biochemistry Department, J H Holland Laboratory, American Red Cross, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
J Biol Chem 271:8215-20. 1996..alone, a poor solution phase inhibitor of thrombin, can efficiently inhibit thrombin in the presence of native vitronectin (VN)...
- Vitronectin stabilizes thrombi and vessel occlusion but plays a dual role in platelet aggregationA Reheman
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Thromb Haemost 3:875-83. 2005The role of vitronectin (Vn) in thrombosis is currently controversial; both inhibitory and supportive roles have been reported...
- Vitronectin inhibits plasminogen activator inhibitor-1-induced signalling and chemotaxis by blocking plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 binding to the low-density lipoprotein receptor-related proteinYuichi Kamikubo
Department of Cell Biology, Division of Vascular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:578-85. 2009..However, the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 can also interact with vitronectin which acts as a cofactor by increasing the half-life of the active form of the serpin...
- Identification and characterization of genes associated with human hepatocellular carcinogenesisN Kondoh
Department of Biochemistry II, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
Cancer Res 59:4990-6. 1999..ribosomal phosphoprotein P0 (rpP0), dek, insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP) 1, vitronectin, retinoic acid-induced gene E (RIG-E), and CYP3A4 (cytochrome P450 nifedipine oxidase) were identified as ..
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and vitronectin expression level and stoichiometry regulate vascular smooth muscle cell migration through physiological collagen matricesN Garg
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine and Research Service, Harry S Truman Memorial Veterans Affairs Hospital, Columbia, MO, USA
J Thromb Haemost 8:1847-54. 2010..Vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) migration is a critical process in arterial remodeling. Purified plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) is reported to both promote and inhibit VSMC migration on two-dimensional (D) surfaces...
- The alphavbeta5 integrin functions as an endocytic receptor for vitronectinL M Memmo
Cell and Molecular Biology Program, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208, USA
J Cell Sci 111:425-33. 1998Endocytosis and degradation of vitronectin by human skin fibroblasts are regulated by the beta5 integrin...
- The integrin alphavbeta6 is critical for keratinocyte migration on both its known ligand, fibronectin, and on vitronectinX Huang
Lung Biology Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Center for Occupational and Environmental Health and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Cell Sci 111:2189-95. 1998..Interestingly, keratinocytes from beta6-/- mice also demonstrated markedly reduced migration on vitronectin, a protein not previously known to be a ligand for alphavbeta6...
- Absence of the alpha v beta 3 integrin dictates the time-course of angiogenesis in the hypoxic central nervous system: accelerated endothelial proliferation correlates with compensatory increases in alpha 5 beta 1 integrin expressionLongxuan Li
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1031-43. 2010..alpha v beta 3 integrin was strongly induced on angiogenic brain endothelial cells (BEC), along with its ligand vitronectin. In the hypoxia model, beta 3 integrin-null mice showed no obvious defect in cerebral angiogenesis...
- Integrin αvβ3 promotes vitronectin gene expression in human ovarian cancer cells by implicating rel transcription factorsUte Reuning
Clinical Research Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
J Cell Biochem 112:1909-19. 2011We previously showed that integrin αvβ3 expression upon engagement by its major ligand vitronectin (VN) correlated with enhanced human ovarian cancer cell adhesion, motility, and proliferation, by triggering intracellular signaling ..
- Detection of vitronectin mRNA in tissues and cells of the mouseD Seiffert
Committee on Vascular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:9402-6. 1991Mouse vitronectin (Vn) was isolated from serum by heparin affinity chromatography...
- Identification of vitronectin as an extrinsic inducer of cancer stem cell differentiation and tumor formationElaine M Hurt
Cancer Stem Cell Section, Laboratory of Cancer Prevention, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 28:390-8. 2010..Here we show that vitronectin is the component of human serum driving stem cell differentiation through an integrin alpha V beta 3-dependent ..
- The interaction between urokinase receptor and vitronectin in cell adhesion and signallingChris D Madsen
FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology, Via Adamello, 16, I 20139 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cell Biol 87:617-29. 2008..role in ECM degradation, uPAR modulates cell-matrix contact through a direct engagement with the ECM component, vitronectin (Vn), and by regulating the activity state of integrins thus promoting or inhibiting integrin signalling and ..
- Vitronectin and integrin vitronectin receptor localization in multiple sclerosis lesionsR A Sobel
Pathology Service, Palo Alto Veterans Administration Medical Center, CA 94304
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 54:202-13. 1995b>Vitronectin (Vn) is a multifunctional plasma and extracellular matrix glycoprotein involved in cell attachment, coagulation, phagocytosis, and the protection of bystander cells from complement- and T cell-mediated lysis...
- Developmental expression of prion protein and its ligands stress-inducible protein 1 and vitronectinGlaucia N M Hajj
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, São Paulo 01323 903, Brazil
J Comp Neurol 517:371-84. 2009..interaction with the secreted protein stress-inducible protein 1 (STI1) and the extracellular matrix protein vitronectin (Vn)...
- Functional role of death-associated protein 3 (DAP3) in anoikisTadaaki Miyazaki
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 279:44667-72. 2004..Involvement of DAP3 in anoikis signaling demonstrates a novel role for this GTP-binding protein in apoptosis induction caused by cell detachment...
- The serpin PAI-1 inhibits cell migration by blocking integrin alpha V beta 3 binding to vitronectinS Stefansson
Biochemistry Department, J H Holland Laboratory, American Red Cross, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
Nature 383:441-3. 1996During wound healing, migrating cells increase expression of both the vitronectin receptor (VNR) integrins and plasminogen activators...
- Plasmin and plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 promote cellular motility by regulating the interaction between the urokinase receptor and vitronectinD A Waltz
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Children s Hospital, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 100:58-67. 1997..coordinates plasmin-mediated cell-surface proteolysis and promotes cellular adhesion via a binding site for vitronectin on uPAR...
- Cerebral microenvironment influences expression of the vitronectin gene in astrocytic tumorsC L Gladson
Department of Pathology Division of Neuropathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294, USA
J Cell Sci 108:947-56. 1995Expression of the vitronectin gene was detected in advanced human astrocytoma by in situ hybridization, whereas vitronectin mRNA was undetectable in low grade tumors or in normal adult brain, indicating that vitronectin is a marker of ..
- Neisseria meningitidis Opc invasin binds to the sulphated tyrosines of activated vitronectin to attach to and invade human brain endothelial cellsClaudia Sa E Cunha
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000911. 2010..bacteria can increase human brain endothelial cell line (HBMEC) adhesion and entry by first binding to serum vitronectin and, to a lesser extent, fibronectin...
- Chimeric vitronectin:insulin-like growth factor proteins enhance cell growth and migration through co-activation of receptorsDerek R Van Lonkhuyzen
Tissue Repair and Regeneration Program, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Queensland, Australia
Growth Factors 25:295-308. 2007Complexes comprised of IGF-I, IGF-binding proteins and the ECM protein vitronectin (VN) stimulate cell migration and growth and can replace the requirement for serum for the ex vivo expansion of cells, as well as promote wound healing in ..
- Vitronectin in human breast carcinomasMads Aaboe
Laboratory for Cellular Protein Science, Department for Molecular Biology, Aarhus University, Gustav Wied s Vej 10C, DK 8000 C, Aarhus, Denmark
Biochim Biophys Acta 1638:72-82. 2003We have analysed the occurrence of the extracellular glycoprotein vitronectin in carcinomas and normal tissue of human breast...
- Induction of glioma cell migration by vitronectin in human serum and cerebrospinal fluidYuji Fukushima
Department of Biology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka, Japan
J Neurosurg 107:578-85. 2007..Malignant gliomas are often highly invasive and can migrate along blood vessels. The purpose of the current study was to identify the substance in human serum and/or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) that promotes glioma cell migration...
- Type 1 plasminogen activator inhibitor induces multimerization of plasma vitronectin. A suggested mechanism for the generation of the tissue form of vitronectin in vivoD Seiffert
Department of Vascular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 271:29644-51. 1996The conformation and degree of multimerization of vitronectin (Vn) appears to be of critical importance for its functions, but little is known about the underlying mechanisms that control Vn multimerization...
- Integrin alpha(v)beta(3)/vitronectin interaction affects expression of the urokinase system in human ovarian cancer cellsS Hapke
, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, , Germany
J Biol Chem 276:26340-8. 2001..The two systems are functionally linked because uPAR and PAI-1 bind to the ECM component vitronectin (VN)...
- Mapping of the vitronectin-binding site on the urokinase receptor: involvement of a coherent receptor interface consisting of residues from both domain I and the flanking interdomain linker regionHenrik Gardsvoll
Finsen Laboratory, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen Biocenter, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
J Biol Chem 282:13561-72. 2007..In contrast, the structural basis for the interaction between uPAR and the extracellular matrix protein vitronectin, which is involved in the regulation of cell adhesion and motility, remains to be clarified...
- Long term culture of human embryonic stem cells on recombinant vitronectin in ascorbate free mediaAndrew B J Prowse
The Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Biomaterials 31:8281-8. 2010..In this work we have investigated the applicability of a recombinantly produced domain of human vitronectin as an extracellular matrix alternative to the common standards Geltrex or Matrigel...
- Effect of cancer procoagulant (CP) on the growth and adhesion of MCF-7 cells to vitronectin in vitroMałgorzata Kamocka
Department of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, Medical University of Lodz, ul Muszyńskiego 1, 90151 Lodz, Poland
Cancer Lett 222:89-94. 2005..Effects of anti-CP antibody on the growth of MCF-7 breast cancer cells and on the cells adhesion to vitronectin have been analyzed in vitro...
- Involvement of alpha(v)beta3 integrin-like receptor and glycosaminoglycans in Candida albicans germ tube adhesion to vitronectin and to a human endothelial cell lineG Santoni
Department of Pharmacological Sciences and Experimental Medicine, University of Camerino, Camerino, Italy
Microb Pathog 31:159-72. 2001The present study was undertaken to investigate the expression of alpha(v)beta3 and alpha(v)beta5 integrin-like vitronectin receptors (VNRs) on Candida albicans germ tube and their involvement in its adhesion to vitronectin (VN) and ..
- Molecular interactions and functional interference between vitronectin and transforming growth factor-betaMichael Schoppet
Department of Biochemistry, Justus Liebig University, Friedrichstrasse 24, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Lab Invest 82:37-46. 2002..The multifunctional adhesive glycoprotein vitronectin (VN), which is found in the circulation and widely distributed throughout different tissues, has been ..
- Roles of integrins in human induced pluripotent stem cell growth on Matrigel and vitronectinTeisha J Rowland
Center for Stem Cell Biology and Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Stem Cells Dev 19:1231-40. 2010..Integrin function was investigated in iPSCs cultured without feeder layers on Matrigel or vitronectin, in comparison to human embryonic stem cells...
- Expression of alphav integrins and vitronectin receptor identity in breast cancer cellsT Meyer
Richard Dimbleby Department of Cancer Research, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 77:530-6. 1998..We show that the classical vitronectin receptor alphavbeta3 is expressed in only one cell line (MDA-MB-231), whereas alphavbeta5 is expressed on all ..
- Promotion of leukocyte adhesion by a novel interaction between vitronectin and the beta2 integrin Mac-1 (alphaMbeta2, CD11b/CD18)Sandip M Kanse
Institute for Biochemistry, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:2251-6. 2004..b>Vitronectin (VN) is an adhesion-promoting factor that is abundantly present as matrix molecule in vascular diseases such as ..
- Potential role for insulin-like growth factor II and vitronectin in the endothelial-mesenchymal transition processEnrique Arciniegas
Servicio Autónomo Instituto de Biomedicina, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado de correos 4043, Carmelitas, Caracas 1010, Venezuela
Differentiation 74:277-92. 2006..These cellular events also occurred when IGFII was added to medium containing vitronectin (VN)...
- Surface modification by complexes of vitronectin and growth factors for serum-free culture of human osteoblastsIris Schleicher
Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Tissue Eng 11:1688-98. 2005..Complexes composed of vitronectin (VN), insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), and insulin growth factor-binding proteins (IGFBPs) have been ..
- Mechanistic investigations into interactions between IGF-I and IGFBPs and their impact on facilitating cell migration on vitronectinJennifer A Kricker
Tissue Repair and Regeneration Program, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland University of Technology, 60 Musk Avenue, Kelvin Grove, 4059, Queensland, Australia
Growth Factors 28:359-69. 2010..studies have reported links between insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) and the extra-cellular matrix protein vitronectin (VN)...
- Role of alphavbeta5 integrins and vitronectin in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAK interaction with A549 respiratory cellsJohanne Leroy-Dudal
Laboratoire ERRMECe EA1391, , France
Microbes Infect 6:875-81. 2004..we explored the role of alpha5beta1 and alphavbeta5 integrins and their natural ligands, fibronectin (Fn) and vitronectin (Vn), in P...
- Galectin 1 inhibits incorporation of vitronectin and chondroitin sulfate B into the extracellular matrix of human vascular smooth muscle cellsElena P Moiseeva
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Leicester, Clinical Sciences Wing, Glenfield General Hospital, Leicester LE3 9QP, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1619:125-32. 2003..with glycosaminoglycan (GAG) chains, (2) cross-links between ligands and facilitates the incorporation of GAGs, vitronectin and plasma fibronectin in the ECM of vascular SMCs...
- Vitronectin decreases microvascular endothelial cell apoptosisF F Isik
Department of Surgery, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, USA
J Cell Physiol 175:149-55. 1998Angiogenesis after tissue injury occurs in a matrix environment consisting of fibrin, fibronectin, and vitronectin as the major extracellular matrix (ECM) constituents...
- Vitronectin inhibits the thrombotic response to arterial injury in miceW P Fay
Departments of Internal Medicine and Human Genetics and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Blood 93:1825-30. 1999b>Vitronectin (VN) binds to plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) and integrins and may play an important role in the vascular response to injury by regulating fibrinolysis and cell migration...
- Ovarian cancer cell proliferation and motility is induced by engagement of integrin alpha(v)beta3/Vitronectin interactionSandra Hapke
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clinical Research Unit, Technical University Munich, D-81675 Munich, Germany
Biol Chem 384:1073-83. 2003..Human ovarian OV-MZ-6 cancer cells express the integrin alpha(v)beta3, which associates with vitronectin (VN) and correlates with ovarian cancer progression...
- Vitronectin and its receptors partly mediate adhesion of ovarian cancer cells to peritoneal mesothelium in vitroLoraine Heyman
ERRMECe, EA 1391, UFR Sciences et Techniques, Cergy Pontoise, France
Tumour Biol 29:231-44. 2008..The aim of our study was to focus on the role of vitronectin (Vn) and its receptors, alpha(v) integrins and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (uPAR), in the ..
- Novel hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) binding domains on fibronectin and vitronectin coordinate a distinct and amplified Met-integrin induced signalling pathway in endothelial cellsSalman Rahman
Coagulation Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, GKT School of Medicine, St, Thomas Hospital, London, UK
BMC Cell Biol 6:8. 2005..Signals emanating from growth factors and the extracellular matrix are important in regulating these processes...
- Fibronectin, vitronectin, and collagen I induce chemotaxis and haptotaxis of human and rabbit mesenchymal stem cells in a standardized transmembrane assayMarc M Thibault
Department of Chemical Engineering, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Stem Cells Dev 16:489-502. 2007..standardized transmembrane chemotaxis assay to assess the chemotactic and haptotactic potential of fibronectin, vitronectin, and collagen type 1 on MSCs from both rabbit and human origin...
- Inter-alpha-trypsin inhibitor promotes bronchial epithelial repair after injury through vitronectin bindingJennifer E Adair
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 284:16922-30. 2009..The extracellular matrix (ECM) plays an important role in epithelial repair after injury. Vitronectin is a major ECM component that promotes epithelial repair...
- Endoproteolytic activation of alpha(v) integrin by proprotein convertase PC5 is required for vascular smooth muscle cell adhesion to vitronectin and integrin-dependent signalingPhilipp Stawowy
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Circulation 109:770-6. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the activation of alpha(v) by PCs in VSMCs and its consequences for alpha(v)-dependent cell functions...
- Initial formation of IGROV1 ovarian cancer multicellular aggregates involves vitronectinSabrina Kellouche
ERRMECe, EA 1391, Institut des materiaux, UFR Sciences et Techniques, Universite de Cergy Pontoise, 2 rue Adolphe Chauvin, 95302, Cergy Pontoise Cedex, France
Tumour Biol 31:129-39. 2010..We have previously demonstrated the involvement of the vitronectin/alphav integrin adhesive system in the dissemination of ovarian cancer cells and continue to investigate the ..
- Vitronectin is up-regulated after vascular injury and vitronectin blockade prevents neointima formationPascale Dufourcq
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, INSERM Unité 441, Athéroclérose, Avenue du Haut Leveque, 33600 Pessac, France
Cardiovasc Res 53:952-62. 2002..We investigated the expression and the functional role of vitronectin (VN) in the response after vascular injury.
- Vitronectin--a major cell attachment-promoting protein in fetal bovine serumE G Hayman
Exp Cell Res 160:245-58. 1985..cell attachment protein in bovine serum and present the evidence that this molecule is the bovine equivalent of vitronectin. The molecular size of this protein is in the same range as the size of the adhesive human plasma protein, ..
- Presence of plasma complement regulatory proteins clusterin (Apo J) and vitronectin (S40) on circulating immune complexes (CIC)A K Chauhan
ProGen Biologics, Wildwood, MO 63021, USA
Clin Exp Immunol 145:398-406. 2006The complement regulatory (CR) proteins clusterin and vitronectin bind to the membrane attack complex (MAC) and thus prevent cytolysis...
- Vitronectin concentrations predict risk in patients undergoing coronary stentingWolfgang Derer
Berlin Buch, Franz Volhard Klinik Berlin, Germany
Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2:14-9. 2009b>Vitronectin is a multifunctional protein with a multiple binding domain that interacts with a variety of plasma and cell proteins. Vitronectin binds multiple ligands, including the soluble vitronectin receptor...
- Vitronectin promotes oligodendrocyte differentiation during neurogenesis of human embryonic stem cellsJung Eun Gil
Laboratory of Stem Cell Biology, Division of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
FEBS Lett 583:561-7. 2009..during neurogenesis of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) using an extracellular matrix protein, vitronectin (VN). We show that VN is expressed in the ventral part of the developing human spinal cord...
- Mesothelial vitronectin stimulates migration of ovarian cancer cellsLoraine Heyman
ERRMECe, EA 1391, Institut des materiaux, Universite de Cergy Pontoise, UFR Sciences et Techniques, Cergy Pontoise, France
Cell Biol Int 34:493-502. 2010..secretions affect the migration of ovarian cancer cells and focuses on the role of the adhesive molecule Vn (vitronectin) and its integrin receptors...
- Role of vitronectin and fibronectin receptors in oral mucosal and dermal myofibroblast differentiationKate A Lygoe
Division of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, 256 Grays Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Biol Cell 99:601-14. 2007....
- Inhibition of HIV replication by the plasminogen activator is dependent on vitronectin-mediated cell adhesionChiara Elia
DIBIT, AIDS Immunopathogenesis Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina, 58, 20132, Milan, Italy
J Leukoc Biol 82:1212-20. 2007..Moreover, U1 cells were also maintained in the presence or absence of vitronectin (VN)-containing sera or serum from VN(-/-) mice...
- Urokinase/urokinase receptor and vitronectin/alpha(v)beta(3) integrin induce chemotaxis and cytoskeleton reorganization through different signaling pathwaysB Degryse
Department of Molecular Pathology and Medicine, , Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Oncogene 20:2032-43. 2001b>Vitronectin (VN) and pro-urokinase (pro-uPA) stimulated migration of rat smooth muscle cells in a dose-dependent and additive way, and induced motile-type changes in cell morphology together with a complete reorganization of the actin ..
- Distribution of vitronectin mRNA during murine developmentD Seiffert
Department of Vascular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037
Dev Dyn 203:71-9. 1995b>Vitronectin (Vn) is not only a major adhesive glycoprotein in plasma but also regulates cell-mediated proteolytic enzyme cascades, including the complement, coagulation, and fibrinolytic systems...
- Candida albicans expresses a focal adhesion kinase-like protein that undergoes increased tyrosine phosphorylation upon yeast cell adhesion to vitronectin and the EA.hy 926 human endothelial cell lineGiorgio Santoni
Department of Pharmacological Sciences and Experimental Medicine, University of Camerino, 62032 Camerino, Italy
Infect Immun 70:3804-15. 2002..related to the vertebrate p125Fak, and its involvement in integrin-like-mediated fungus adhesion to vitronectin (VN) and EA.hy 926 human endothelial cell line...
- Vitronectin's basic domain is a syndecan ligand which functions in trans to regulate vitronectin turnoverCynthia E Wilkins-Port
Center for Cell Biology and Cancer Research, Neil Hellman Medical Research Building, Albany Medical College, 47 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 10:85-103. 2003During the process of tissue remodeling, vitronectin (Vn) is deposited in the extracellular matrix where it plays a key role in the regulation of pericellular proteolysis and cell motility...
- Adhesion of human ovarian adenocarcinoma IGROV1 cells to endothelial cells is partly mediated by the alphav integrins-vitronectin adhesive system and induces an alteration of endothelial integrityJohanne Leroy-Dudal
ERRMECe, EA 1391, UFR Sciences et Techniques, 2 rue Adolphe Chauvin, 95302 Cergy Pontoise Cedex, France
Cell Biol Int 29:482-8. 2005..Considering the ability of ovarian carcinoma to disseminate by a haematogenous way, these in vitro events could mimic a preliminary step for carcinoma cells crossing the endothelial barrier to extravasate...
- Identification of disialic acid-containing glycoproteins in mouse serum: a novel modification of immunoglobulin light chains, vitronectin, and plasminogenZenta Yasukawa
Laboratory of Animal Cell Function, Bioscience and Biotechnology Center, Nagoya University, Japan
Glycobiology 16:651-65. 2006..purified three components, 30-, 70-, and 120-kDa gp, and identified them as an immunoglobulin (Ig) light chain, vitronectin, and plasminogen, respectively, using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass ..
- A composite role of vitronectin and urokinase in the modulation of cell morphology upon expression of the urokinase receptorThore Hillig
The Finsen Laboratory, Department 37 35, Rigshospitalet, Ole Maaløes Vej 5, Copenhagen North, Denmark
J Biol Chem 283:15217-23. 2008..A direct matrix adhesion is mediated through the binding of uPAR to vitronectin, and this event is followed by downstream effects including changes in the cytoskeletal organization...
- Increased vitronectin production by complement-stimulated human retinal pigment epithelial cellsSusanne Wasmuth
Department of Ophthalmology, St Franziskus Hospital, Ophtha Lab, Muenster, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5304-9. 2009..Drusen and basal laminar deposits are hallmarks of this AMD manifestation that contain vitronectin as a major component...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 impairs alveolar epithelial repair by binding to vitronectinMichael H Lazar
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, 6301 MSRB III, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0642, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 31:672-8. 2004..By using PAI-1 variants and AEC from mice transgenically deficient in vitronectin (Vn), we demonstrate that the PAI-1 effect requires its Vn-binding activity...
- Building a novel vitronectin assay by immobilization of integrin on calixarene monolayerHongxia Chen
College of Pharmacy, Pusan National University, Pusan 609 735, Republic of Korea
Talanta 75:99-103. 2008..Integrin alpha(v)beta3 was functionally immobilized onto the monolayer and the integrin-vitronectin interaction was investigated by surface plasmon resonance (SPR)...
- Vitronectin in atherosclerotic diseaseOzlem Balci Ekmekci
Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Department of Pediatric Heamatology Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Chim Acta 368:77-83. 2006..b>Vitronectin is a plasma glycoprotein implicated as a regulator of diverse physiological process, including blood ..
- ERK signaling pathways regulate the osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells on collagen I and vitronectinRoman M Salasznyk
Department of Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York 12180-3596, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 11:137-53. 2004Adhesion to the extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins collagen I and vitronectin is sufficient to drive human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) into an osteogenic differentiation pathway, but the mechanisms underlying this stimulation are not ..
- Expression, production, and characterization of full-length vitronectin in Escherichia coliKatherine Wojciechowski
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 711, NY 14642, USA
Protein Expr Purif 36:131-8. 2004b>Vitronectin (VN) is one of the primary adhesive proteins in serum and serves to promote the attachment and spreading of a wide variety of cell types to tissue culture plastic...
- Mechanisms of enhanced osteoblast adhesion on nanophase alumina involve vitronectinT J Webster
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, USA
Tissue Eng 7:291-301. 2001The role, including concentration, conformation, and bioactivity, of adsorbed vitronectin in enhancing osteoblast adhesion on nanophase alumina was investigated in the present study...
- ERK1 associates with alpha(v)beta 3 integrin and regulates cell spreading on vitronectinMarnie S Roberts
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:1975-85. 2003..Expression of a dominant negative mutant of ERK1 (but not ERK2) significantly reduced the spreading of cells on vitronectin, whereas cell spreading on fibronectin was unaffected by inhibition of ERK1...
- Sequences within domain II of the urokinase receptor critical for differential ligand recognitionYang Li
Department of Vascular Biology, Jerome H Holland Laboratory for the Biomedical Sciences, American Red Cross, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
J Biol Chem 278:29925-32. 2003..and pathological processes by virtue of its interactions with urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA), vitronectin (Vn), and several other proteins. The uPA binding site spans all three domains (D1 to D3) of uPAR...
- Different populations of macrophages use either the vitronectin receptor or the phosphatidylserine receptor to recognize and remove apoptotic cellsV A Fadok
National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Denver, CO 80206
J Immunol 149:4029-35. 1992..In contrast, the murine bone marrow macrophage, like the human monocyte-derived macrophage, utilized the vitronectin receptor, an alpha v beta 3 integrin, for the removal of apoptotic cells, regardless of their species or type...
- Is plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 the molecular switch that governs urokinase receptor-mediated cell adhesion and release?G Deng
Department of Vascular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Cell Biol 134:1563-71. 1996..of the urokinase type plasminogen activator receptor (uPAR) promotes cell adhesion through its interaction with vitronectin (VN) in the extracellular matrix, and facilitates cell migration and invasion by localizing uPA to the cell ..
- The cell adhesion domain in plasma vitronectin is crypticD Seiffert
Department of Vascular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 272:13705-10. 1997b>Vitronectin (Vn) is a major adhesive glycoprotein in blood. However, many of the functions of Vn are regulated by its conformational state and degree of multimerization...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 promotes fibrosarcoma cell migration by modifying cellular attachment to vitronectin via alpha(v)beta(5) integrinTsuyoshi Takahashi
First Department of Surgery, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka
Semin Thromb Hemost 31:356-63. 2005..We demonstrate that PAI-1 inhibits human fibrosarcoma cell (HT-1080) adhesion to vitronectin (Vn) via alpha (v)beta (5) integrin, and stimulates cell migration from Vn toward collagen type IV (Col)...
- Purification and functional characterization of integrin alpha v beta 5. An adhesion receptor for vitronectinJ W Smith
Department of Immunology IMM13, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92037
J Biol Chem 265:11008-13. 1990We have purified a novel member of the integrin gene family from placenta that serves as a vitronectin receptor. This integrin is composed of the alpha v subunit and a beta subunit that we designate beta 5...
- Functional effect of contortrostatin, a snake venom disintegrin, on human glioma cell invasion in vitroStephanie Schmitmeier
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine and Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1200 N. State St. #5046, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 10:1-16. 2003..CN), a homodimeric snake venom disintegrin, has previously been demonstrated to be effective in blocking vitronectin/fibronectin-dependent adhesion and invasion of T98G human glioblastoma cells through Matrigel using in vitro ..
- Cytokines regulate microglial adhesion to laminin and astrocyte extracellular matrix via protein kinase C-dependent activation of the alpha6beta1 integrinRichard Milner
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 22:1562-72. 2002..On specific ECM substrates the microglia adhered strongly to fibronectin, vitronectin, and plastic but only weakly to laminin...
- A novel vitronectin receptor integrin (alpha v beta x) is responsible for distinct adhesive properties of carcinoma cellsD A Cheresh
Department of Immunology, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92037
Cell 57:59-69. 1989Carcinoma cells express a novel integrin involved in cell adhesion to vitronectin, but not to fibrinogen or von Willebrand factor, whereas melanoma and endothelial cells express a vitronectin receptor (alpha v beta 3) that promotes cell ..
- The contributions of integrin affinity and integrin-cytoskeletal engagement in endothelial and smooth muscle cell adhesion to vitronectinSteingrimur Stefansson
Department of Physiology and Center for Vascular and Inflammatory Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 282:15679-89. 2007The serine proteinase inhibitor, plasminogen activator inhibitor type-1 (PAI-1), binds to the adhesion protein vitronectin with high affinity at a site that is located directly adjacent to the vitronectin RGD integrin binding sequence...
- H-Ras/mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway inhibits integrin-mediated adhesion and induces apoptosis in osteoblastsYoshiya Tanaka
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health School of Medicine, Kitakyushu 807 8555, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:21446-52. 2002....
- Novel and selective alpha(v)beta3 receptor peptide antagonist: design, synthesis, and biological behaviorAnnarita Del Gatto
Institute of Biostructures and Bioimaging, CNR, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Naples Federico II, and C. I. R. Pe. B, Via Mezzocannone 16, 80134 Naples, Italy
J Med Chem 49:3416-20. 2006..Cell adhesion assays have demonstrated that the peptide is a potent and selective antagonist of the alpha(v)beta3 receptor...
- Targeted deletion of beta 1 integrins in F9 embryonal carcinoma cells affects morphological differentiation but not tissue-specific gene expressionL E Stephens
Department of Stomatology, University of California San Francisco 94143 0512
J Cell Biol 123:1607-20. 1993..F9 cells resulted in reduced adhesion to fibronectin, laminin and collagen, but strongly enhanced adhesion to vitronectin. The absence of beta 1 integrins did not promote significant compensatory upregulation of either beta 3 or beta ..
- Syndecan-1 regulates alphavbeta5 integrin activity in B82L fibroblastsKyle J McQuade
Graduate Programs in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Cell Sci 119:2445-56. 2006B82L mouse fibroblasts respond to fibronectin or vitronectin via a syndecan-1-mediated activation of the alphavbeta5 integrin. Cells attached to syndecan-1-specific antibody display only filopodial extension...
- [The regulation of mast cell migration. Part 1: cell adhesion molecules]Anna Misiak Tłoczek
Zakład Immunologii Doświadczalnej, Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi
Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 61:485-92. 2007..especially integrins, that are involved in mast cell adhesion to such ECM proteins as laminin, fibronectin, vitronectin, and collagens. The expression of adhesion molecules alters during mast cell development and maturation...
- SPARC modulates cell growth, attachment and migration of U87 glioma cells on brain extracellular matrix proteinsS A Rempel
Department of Neurosurgery, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
J Neurooncol 53:149-60. 2001..attachment, and migration analyses on different brain ECMs, including collagen IV, laminin, fibronectin, vitronectin, hyaluronic acid, and tenascin...
- Cross-talk between fMLP and vitronectin receptors triggered by urokinase receptor-derived SRSRY peptideLucia Gargiulo
Department of Experimental Oncology, National Cancer Institute, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Biol Chem 280:25225-32. 2005..Cell exposure to SRSRY peptide promotes directional migration on vitronectin-coated filters, regardless of uPAR expression, in a specific and dose-dependent manner, with maximal effect at ..
- DNAzymes to beta 1 and beta 3 mRNA down-regulate expression of the targeted integrins and inhibit endothelial cell capillary tube formation in fibrin and matrigelMarcin Cieslak
Center for Molecular and Macromolecular Research, Polish Academy of Sciences, 90-363 Lodz, Poland
J Biol Chem 277:6779-87. 2002..In functional tests, beta1-1053 and beta3-1243 markedly reduced adhesion of cells to fibronectin and vitronectin, respectively...
- MOLECULAR INTERACTIONS REGULATING SERPIN FUNCTIONDaniel Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition to protease inhibition, PAI-1 interacts with a number of important ligands including vitronectin, heparin and lipoprotein receptor-related protein (LRP)...
- Tissue Factor, Flow, and Platelet Adhesion/Aggregation on Activated EndotheliumERIC FRANKLIN GRABOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..may proceed via upregulation of endothelial cell (EC) molecules adhesive for platelets, especially 1v23 (the vitronectin receptor), ICAM-1, P-selectin, and ultra large von Willebrand factor (vWF) strings, accompanied and followed by ..
- TUMOR CELL ADHESIVE GLYCOPROTEINS AND METASTASISKENNETH HONN; Fiscal Year: 1993..Among them, are the vitronectin receptor alpha-v-beta-3 and alpha-II-b-beta-3...
- Urokinase, Neutrophil Activation and Acute Lung Injury.Edward Abraham; Fiscal Year: 2010..in circulating and pulmonary concentrations of urokinase (uPA), plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (PAI-1), and vitronectin, are present in almost all patients with acute lung injury (ALI)...
- CONTROL OF PERICELLULAR PLASMIN BY MATRIX VITRONECTINPAULA MC KEOWN LONGO; Fiscal Year: 1993Our previous studies have indicated that the extracellular matrix protein, vitronectin, directs the localization of both plasminogen activator inhibitor, type I, (PAI-1), and urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) to vitronectin ..
- ERYTHROCYTE MEMBRANE ABNORMALITIES IN SICKLE DISEASERobert Hebbel; Fiscal Year: 1993..The effect of von Willebrand factor, thrombospondin, vitronectin, fibronectin and fibrinogen will be examined...
- HEPARIN-PROTEIN/PEPTIDE INTERACTIONSRobert Linhardt; Fiscal Year: 2000..the same structural features and bind a number of proteins that are found in the extracellular matrix including vitronectin and fibroblast growth factors...
- KININOGEN/UROKINASE RECEPTORS IN TUMOR ANGIOGENESISRobert Colman; Fiscal Year: 2007..By binding to uPAR, HKa also displaces the adhesive protein, vitronectin, thereby allowing the endothelial cells to detach from the ECM...
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001..Then, she will determine the mechanisms by which certain signals, namely those initiated by vitronectin receptors, inhibit asbestos-induced apoptosis...
- KININOGEN/UROKINASE RECEPTORS IN TUMOR ANGIOGENESISRobert Colman; Fiscal Year: 2003..HKa binds to domain 2/3 of uPAR on endothelial cells and competes for occupancy with a major adhesive protein, vitronectin. HKa, when bound, also facilitates the binding and activation of PK to kallikrein, which cleaves pro-urokinase ..
- Roles of Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 and Vitronectin in Failure of CoronaryWilliam P Fay; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Vitronectin (VN) is an adhesive glycoprotein present in extracellular matrix (ECM) and plasma that stabilizes PAI-1 and ..
- OVERALL HEMOCOMPATIBILITY PEO-FUNCTIONALIZED SILOXANESWilliam Collins; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will investigate the role of vitronectin adsorbed to these biomaterials because it should further characterize their biocompatibility...
- The Anti-protease and Vitronectin-binding Functions of PAI-1 in Lung FibrosisThomas Sisson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through this mechanism, PAI-1 limits plasmin-mediated proteolysis. Second, PAI-1 is capable of binding to vitronectin, a provisional matrix protein. This interaction significantly stabilizes PAI-1's antiprotease activity...
- WOUND HEALING ANGIOGENESISFrank Isik; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Vitronectin, a glycoprotein found in plasma and deposited at the site of tissue injury, has no defined role in vivo...
- Control of the Pneumocystis carinii Life CycleAndrew Limper; Fiscal Year: 2007..to epithelial cells is mediated through host extracellular matrix proteins, particularly fibronectin and vitronectin. We recently demonstrated that Pneumocystis expresses an INT1 gene, homologous to integrin-like molecules, ..
- REGULATION OF ANGIOGENESIS BY PAI1Daniel Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will test the hypotheses that, (1) binding of vascular cell integrins to the matrix protein vitronectin is an important step in the angiogenic process, (2) PAI-1 can directly inhibit this interaction, and (3) PA ..