Genomes and Genes
Summary: A specific protein in egg albumin that interacts with BIOTIN to render it unavailable to mammals, thereby producing biotin deficiency.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Construction of a dual chain pseudotetrameric chicken avidin by combining two circularly permuted avidinsHenri R Nordlund
NanoScience Center (NSC, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, P. O. Box 35, , Finland
J Biol Chem 279:36715-9. 2004Two distinct circularly permuted forms of chicken avidin were designed with the aim of constructing a fusion avidin containing two biotin-binding sites in one polypeptide...
- Avidin-biotin technology in targeted therapyHanna P Lesch
University of Eastern Finland, A I Virtanen Institute, Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine, Kuopio, Finland
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 7:551-64. 2010..Many approaches in cancer treatment are limited because of their broad range of unwanted side effects on healthy cells. Targeting can reduce side effects and increase efficacy of drugs in the patient...
- Tetravalent single-chain avidin: from subunits to protein domains via circularly permuted avidinsHenri R Nordlund
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Nanoscience Center, P.O. Box 35 (YAB, , Finland
Biochem J 392:485-91. 2005scAvd (single-chain avidin, where two dcAvd are joined in a single polypeptide chain), having four biotin-binding domains, was constructed by fusion of topologically modified avidin units...
- Three-dimensional structures of avidin and the avidin-biotin complexO Livnah
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:5076-80. 1993The crystal structures of a deglycosylated form of the egg-white glycoprotein avidin and of its complex with biotin have been determined to 2.6 and 3.0 A, respectively...
- Genetically engineered avidins and streptavidinsO H Laitinen
A. I. Virtanen Institute, Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Kuopio, P. O. Box 1627, 70211, Kuopio, Finland
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:2992-3017. 2006Chicken avidin and bacterial streptavidin, (strept)avidin, are proteins widely utilized in a number of applications in life science, ranging from purification and labeling techniques to diagnostics, and from targeted drug delivery to ..
- Structural and functional characteristics of xenavidin, the first frog avidin from Xenopus tropicalisJuha A E Määttä
Institute of Medical Technology, Biokatu 6, FI 33014 University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
BMC Struct Biol 9:63. 2009..Here we structurally and functionally characterise a novel avidin named xenavidin, which is to our knowledge the first reported avidin from a frog.
- Controlling quaternary structure assembly: subunit interface engineering and crystal structure of dual chain avidinVesa P Hytönen
Nanoscience Center, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Mol Biol 359:1352-63. 2006Dual chain avidin (dcAvd) is an engineered avidin form, in which two circularly permuted chicken avidin monomers are fused into one polypeptide chain...
- Accurate titration of avidin and streptavidin with biotin-fluorophore conjugates in complex, colored biofluidsH J Gruber
Institute of Biophysics, J Kepler University, Altenberger Str 69, A 4040 Linz, Austria
Biochim Biophys Acta 1381:203-12. 1998A new fluorimetric assay is presented for the specific and reliable quantitation of >/=2 nM avidin and streptavidin...
- Bifunctional avidin with covalently modifiable ligand binding siteJenni Leppiniemi
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
PLoS ONE 6:e16576. 2011The extensive use of avidin and streptavidin in life sciences originates from the extraordinary tight biotin-binding affinity of these tetrameric proteins...
- Bradavidin II from Bradyrhizobium japonicum: a new avidin-like biotin-binding proteinSatu H Helppolainen
Institute of Medical Technology, Biokatu 6, FI 33014 University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Finland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1784:1002-10. 2008A gene encoding an avidin-like protein was discovered in the genome of B. japonicum. The gene was cloned to an expression vector and a protein, named bradavidin II, was produced in E. coli...
- Rational modification of ligand-binding preference of avidin by circular permutation and mutagenesisJuha A E Määttä
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, 33014 University of Tampere, Finland
Chembiochem 9:1124-35. 2008Chicken avidin is a key component used in a wide variety of biotechnological applications. Here we present a circularly permuted avidin (cpAvd4-->3) that lacks the loop between beta-strands 3 and 4...
- The lipocalin protein family: structure and functionD R Flower
Department of Physical Chemistry and BioAnalysis, Astra Charnwood, Loughborough, Leics, U K
Biochem J 318:1-14. 1996..The lipocalins have also been implicated in the regulation of cell homoeostasis and the modulation of the immune response, and, as carrier proteins, to act in the general clearance of endogenous and exogenous compounds...
- Rhizavidin from Rhizobium etli: the first natural dimer in the avidin protein familySatu H Helppolainen
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, FI 33014 Tampere, Finland
Biochem J 405:397-405. 2007..The symbiotic plasmid p42d of R. etli comprises a gene encoding a putative (strept)avidin-like protein, named rhizavidin...
- Three-step tumor targeting of paclitaxel using biotinylated PLA-PEG nanoparticles and avidin-biotin technology: Formulation development and in vitro anticancer activityMika Pulkkinen
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 70:66-74. 2008..In this study, three-step tumor targeting of paclitaxel using biotinylated PLA-PEG nanoparticles and avidin-biotin technology was evaluated in vitro as a way of enhancing delivery of paclitaxel...
- Characterization of poultry egg-white avidins and their potential as a tool in pretargeting cancer treatmentVesa P Hytönen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, P O Box 35 YAB, Jyvaskyla, FIN 40014, Finland
Biochem J 372:219-25. 2003Chicken avidin and bacterial streptavidin are proteins used in a wide variety of applications in the life sciences due to their strong affinity for biotin. A new and promising use for them is in medical pretargeting cancer treatments...
- Hidden variety of biotin-streptavidin/avidin local interactions revealed by site-selective dynamic force spectroscopyAtsushi Taninaka
Institute of Applied Physics, CREST JST, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Phys Chem Chem Phys 12:12578-83. 2010..between the local structures of amino acid residues at the middle sites, SER45 and THR35 for streptavidin and avidin, respectively, strongly affects the microscopic reaction processes, i.e...
- Radioimmunotherapy: is avidin-biotin pretargeting the preferred choice among pretargeting methods?David M Goldenberg
Center for Molecular Medicine and Immunology, Garden State Cancer Center, 520 Belleville Avenue, NJ 07109 0023, Belleville, USA
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 30:777-80. 2003
- Impedimetric immunosensor using avidin-biotin for antibody immobilizationO Ouerghi
, UMR CNRS 5621, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, BP 163, , France
Bioelectrochemistry 56:131-3. 2002..IgG), used as a model system, was attached to free biotin groups on the electrogenerated polypyrrole film using avidin as a coupling reagent. This immobilization method allows to obtain a highly reproducible and stable device...
- Lectin precipitation using phytohemagglutinin-L(4) coupled to avidin-agarose for serological biomarker discovery in colorectal cancerYong Sam Kim
Daejeon KRIBB FHCRC Research Cooperation Center, KRIBB, 111 Gwahangno, Yuseong Gu, Deajeon, Korea
Proteomics 8:3229-35. 2008..serum proteins were subjected to immunodepletion, alkylation, and lectin precipitation using L-PHA coupled to avidin-agarose bead complexes, and tryptic digestion...
- Application of the avidin-biotin interaction to immobilize DNA in the development of electrochemical impedance genosensorsA Bonanni
Sensors and Biosensors Group, Department of Chemistry, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Edifici Cn, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:851-61. 2007..In this work, an avidin bulk-modified graphite-epoxy biocomposite (Av-GEB) was employed to immobilize biotinylated oligonucleotides as ..
- The AviD-tag, a NeutrAvidin/avidin specific peptide affinity tag for the immobilization and purification of recombinant proteinsThomas Gaj
Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Protein Expr Purif 56:54-61. 2007..we discovered a phage-display selected cyclic peptide motif that was shown to bind selectively to NeutrAvidin and avidin but not to the structurally similar streptavidin...
- Chimeric avidin shows stability against harsh chemical conditions--biochemical analysis and 3D structureJuha A E Määttä
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Biotechnol Bioeng 108:481-90. 2011b>Avidin and its bacterial analog streptavidin have been widely used in applications in life sciences...
- DNA family shuffling within the chicken avidin protein family - A shortcut to more powerful protein toolsBarbara Niederhauser
Institute of Biomedical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
J Biotechnol 157:38-49. 2012..In this study, we show that it is possible to create functional chimeric proteins from the avidin protein family when applying DNA family shuffling to the genes of the avidin protein family: avidin, avidin ..
- Single and multiple bonds in (strept)avidin-biotin interactionsJean Marie Teulon
CEA, IBEB, Service de Biochimie et Toxicologie Nucléaire, F 30207 Bagnols sur Ceze, France
J Mol Recognit 24:490-502. 2011..We have chosen the well-known system, (strept)avidin-biotin complex, as an experimental model due to the lack of consensus on interpretations of the rupture force ..
- Active targeting behaviors of biotinylated pluronic/poly(lactic acid) nanoparticles in vitro through three-step biotin-avidin interactionXiang Yuan Xiong
School of Life Science, Jiangxi Science and Technology Normal University, Nanchang, PR China
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 22:1607-19. 2011..properties of B-F87-PLA and B-P85-PLA nanoparticles in vitro were investigated through a three-step biotin-avidin interaction by 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) tests and fluorescence ..
- Chicken avidin exhibits pseudo-catalytic properties. Biochemical, structural, and electrostatic consequencesT Huberman
Department of Biological Chemistry, The Institute of Life Sciences, Wolfson Centre for Applied Structural Biology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Givat Ram, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
J Biol Chem 276:32031-9. 2001b>Avidin and its bacterial analogue streptavidin exhibit similarly high affinities toward the vitamin biotin. The extremely high affinity of these two proteins has been utilized as a powerful tool in many biotechnological applications...
- Hexon-specific PEGylated adenovirus vectors utilizing avidin-biotin interactionEmi Suzuki-Kouyama
Laboratory of Gene Transfer and Regulation, National Institute of Biomedical Innovation, Osaka, Japan
Biomaterials 32:1724-30. 2011..hexon, which is not involved in the binding to CAR, and PEG was then specifically conjugated to the hexon HVR5 via avidin-biotin interaction...
- An SPR immunosensor for human cardiac troponin T using specific binding avidin to biotin at carboxymethyldextran-modified gold chipRosa Fireman Dutra
Departamento de Patologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade de Pernambuco, Recife, Brasil, Rua Arnóbio Marques, 310, Santo Amaro, 50100 130 Recife, PE, Brazil
Clin Chim Acta 376:114-20. 2007..Surface plasmon resonance (SPR) immunosensor was developed for the quick detection of human cTnT in real time...
- Tumor targeting and imaging of intraperitoneal tumors by use of antisense oligo-DNA complexed with dendrimers and/or avidin in miceN Sato
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging, Kyoto University, 54 Kawaharacho, Shogoin, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 7:3606-12. 2001..111)In-oligo/G4-Bt and (111)In-oligo-Bt were conjugated to avidin ((111)In-oligo/G4-Av and (111)In-oligo-Av, respectively)...
- Electrostatic polarization makes a substantial contribution to the free energy of avidin-biotin bindingYan Tong
Institute of Theoretical and Computational Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200062, China
J Am Chem Soc 132:5137-42. 2010b>Avidin-biotin is one of the strongest protein-ligand binding systems, with broad applications in biomedical science...
- CD16/32-specific biotinylated 2.4G2 single-chain Fv complexed with avidin-FITC enhances FITC-specific humoral immune response in vivo in a CD16-dependent mannerAdrienn Angyal
Department of Immunology, Eotvos Lorand University, 1117 Budapest, Hungary
Int Immunol 22:71-80. 2010..4G2, linked to avidin-FITC, and tested its effect on the FITC-hapten-specific T-independent type 2 (TI-2) and T-dependent (TD) immune ..
- Layer-by-layer construction of protein architectures through avidin-biotin and lectin-sugar interactions for biosensor applicationsShigehiro Takahashi
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Aramaki, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Anal Bioanal Chem 402:1749-58. 2012..the preparation and properties of protein architectures constructed by layer-by-layer (LbL) deposition through avidin-biotin and concanavalin A (Con A)-sugar interactions are discussed in relation to their use for optical and ..
- Use of avidin/biotin-liposome system for enhanced peritoneal drug delivery in an ovarian cancer modelCristina L Zavaleta
Department of Radiology, MSC 7800, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Int J Pharm 337:316-28. 2007The goal of this study was to determine the distribution of the avidin/biotin-liposome system in an ovarian cancer xenograft model...
- Fluorescent avidin-bound silver particle: a strategy for single target molecule detection on a cell membraneJian Zhang
Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 725 West Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Anal Chem 81:883-9. 2009Cy5-avidin conjugate-bound silver nanoparticles were prepared as a fluorescence molecular reagent for the cell imaging...
- Radiosynthesis, biodistribution and micro-SPECT imaging study of dendrimer-avidin conjugateXiaoping Xu
Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Bioorg Med Chem 19:1643-8. 2011..minepentaacetic acid (1B4M-DTPA), respectively to form the complex Bt-G5-Ac-1B4M which was further conjugated with avidin to give the conjugate Av-G5-Ac-1B4M...
- Molecular events contributing to cell death in malignant human hematopoietic cells elicited by an IgG3-avidin fusion protein targeting the transferrin receptorPatrick P Ng
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of California Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1782, USA
Blood 108:2745-54. 2006We have previously reported that an anti-human transferrin receptor IgG3-avidin fusion protein (anti-hTfR IgG3-Av) inhibits the proliferation of an erythroleukemia-cell line...
- Rapid hepatic cell attachment onto biodegradable polymer surfaces without toxicity using an avidin-biotin binding systemNobuhiko Kojima
Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, 4 6 1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8505 Japan
Biomaterials 27:4904-10. 2006..In this article, we demonstrate the efficiency of avidin-biotin binding systems (ABBS) for the initial attachment of biotinylated Hep G2 cells to avidin adsorbed flat, two-..
- Distribution and residual activity of two insecticidal proteins, avidin and aprotinin, expressed in transgenic tobacco plants, in the bodies and frass of Spodoptera litura larvae following feedingJohn T Christeller
The Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand Limited, Palmerston North Research Centre, Private Bag 11030, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Insect Physiol 51:1117-26. 2005..Lepidoptera, Noctuidae) larvae were fed on tobacco leaves expressing either the biotin-binding protein, avidin, or the protease inhibitor, aprotinin. Control larvae received non-transgenic tobacco...
- Avidin plate assay system for enzymatic characterization of a histone lysine methyltransferaseHumaira Gowher
School of Engineering and Science, International University Bremen, Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Anal Biochem 342:287-91. 2005..The microplate biotin/avidin peptide methylation assay developed here is convenient, very accurate, reproducible, and inexpensive...
- Application of avidin-biotin technology and adsorptive transfer stripping square-wave voltammetry for detection of DNA hybridization and avidin in transgenic avidin maizeMichal Masarik
Institute of Biophysics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Kralovopolska 135, CZ-612 65 Brno, Czech Republic
Anal Chem 75:2663-9. 2003The proteins streptavidin and avidin were electrochemically detected in solution by adsorptive transfer stripping square wave voltammetry (AdTS SWV) at a carbon paste electrode (CPE)...
- Magnetic resonance imaging visualization of targeted cells by the internalization of supramolecular adducts formed between avidin and biotinylated Gd3+ chelatesSimonetta Geninatti Crich
Department of Chimica I.F.M, , Via P. Giuria 7, Turin 10125, Italy
J Biol Inorg Chem 10:78-86. 2005The high binding affinity between avidin and biotin has been exploited to develop a procedure for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) visualization of target cells...
- An analysis of avidin, biotin and their interaction at attomole levels by voltammetric and chromatographic techniquesRene Kizek
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry, Zemedelska 1, 613 00, Brno, Czech Republic
Anal Bioanal Chem 381:1167-78. 2005The electroanalytical determination of avidin in solution, in a carbon paste, and in a transgenic maize extract was performed in acidic medium at a carbon paste electrode (CPE)...
- Effects of an avidin-biotin binding system on chondrocyte adhesion and growth on biodegradable polymersWei Bor Tsai
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University, No 1, Roosevelt Road, Sec 4, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Macromol Biosci 5:214-21. 2005..In this study, we applied an avidin-biotin binding system to enhance chondrocyte adhesion to biodegradable polymers...
- Localization of single avidin-biotin interactions using simultaneous topography and molecular recognition imagingAndreas Ebner
Institute of Biophysics, University of Linz, 4040 Linz, Austria
Chemphyschem 6:897-900. 2005
- An anti-transferrin receptor-avidin fusion protein exhibits both strong proapoptotic activity and the ability to deliver various molecules into cancer cellsPatrick P Ng
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics and Molecular Biology Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1489, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10706-11. 2002..It consists of avidin genetically fused to the C(H)3 region of a human IgG3 specific for the rat transferrin receptor...
- Mutation of the important Tyr-33 residue of chicken avidin: functional and structural consequencesAri T Marttila
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, , Finland
Biochem J 369:249-54. 2003The strong interaction between avidin and biotin is so tight (dissociation constant 10(-15) M) that conditions usually sufficient for protein denaturing fail to dislodge biotin from the avidin-biotin complex...
- Targeting of biotinylated compounds to its target tissue using a low-density lipoprotein receptor-avidin fusion proteinP Lehtolainen
A.I. Virtanen Institute, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Gene Ther 10:2090-7. 2003The very high binding affinity of avidin to biotin is one of the highest to occur in nature...
- Contributions to the binding free energy of ligands to avidin and streptavidinThemis Lazaridis
Department of Chemistry, City College of the City University of New York, New York, New York 10031, USA
Proteins 47:194-208. 2002..solvation are used to evaluate these contributions in the binding of biotin, biotin analogs, and two peptides to avidin and streptavidin...
- Theoretical and experimental studies of biotin analogues that bind almost as tightly to streptavidin as biotinRichard W Dixon
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Org Chem 67:1827-37. 2002..to the CO(2)(-) group, might be changed to a larger group and lead to better binding with streptavidin and avidin. Free energy calculations supported this suggestion and predicted that the methyl analogue should bind ..
- Biotin-avidin as a protease-responsive cap system for controlled guest release from colloidal mesoporous silicaAxel Schlossbauer
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Center for NanoScience CeNS, University of Munich LMU, Butenandtstrasse 11 E, 81377 Munich, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 48:3092-5. 2009Tell your guests when it's time to go: When avidin caps are attached to biotinylated colloidal mesoporous silica, the four subunits of the protein avidin can each bind to a biotin moiety attached to the surface (see picture)...
- Biochemical and biological characterization of a new oxidized avidin with enhanced tissue binding propertiesAntonio Verdoliva
Research and Development Department, Tecnogen SpA, Piana di Monte Verna, 81013 Caserta, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:9090-9. 2010Chicken avidin and bacterial streptavidin are widely employed in vitro for their capacity to bind biotin, but their pharmacokinetics and immunological properties are not always optimal, thereby limiting their use in medical treatments...
- Biotin-avidin binding kinetics measured by single-molecule imagingJoshua R Wayment
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, 315 South 1400 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 0850, USA
Anal Chem 81:336-42. 2009The high affinity of avidin for biotin has made it useful for many bioanalytical applications involving the immobilization of proteins, vesicles, and other biomolecules to surfaces...
- OXavidin for tissue targeting biotinylated therapeuticsRita De Santis
Immunology Department, Sigma Tau SpA R and D, Pomezia, 00040 Rome, Italy
J Biomed Biotechnol 2009:921434. 2009b>Avidin is a glycoprotein from hen egg white that binds biotin with very high affinity. Here we describe OXavidin, a product containing aldehyde groups, obtained by ligand-assisted sugar oxidation of avidin by sodium periodate...
- Biotinylated transferrin/avidin/biotinylated disulfide containing PEI bioconjugates mediated p53 gene delivery system for tumor targeted transfectionXuan Zeng
Key Laboratory of Biomedical Polymers of Ministry of Education and Department of Chemistry, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, PR China
Biomaterials 31:4771-80. 2010..In this paper, biotinylated transferrin/avidin/biotinylated disulfide containing PEI bioconjugates (TABP-SS) mediated p53 gene delivery system was formed ..
- Application of biotin-4-fluorescein in homogeneous fluorescence assays for avidin, streptavidin, and biotin or biotin derivativesAndreas Ebner
University of Linz, Linz, Austria
Methods Mol Biol 418:73-88. 2008Biotin-4-fluorescein (B4F) is a convenient molecular probe for (strept)avidin and for unlabeled biotin in homogeneous fluorescence assays...
- RGD-avidin-biotin pretargeting to alpha v beta 3 integrin enhances the proapoptotic activity of TNF alpha related apoptosis inducing ligand (TRAIL)Marc Tarrus
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Delivery, Groningen University Institute for Drug Exploration, Groningen, The Netherlands
Apoptosis 13:225-35. 2008..For this purpose, we developed TRAIL complexes that bind to angiogenic endothelial cells. We employed an avidin-biotin pretargeting approach, in which biotinylated TRAIL interacted with RGD-equipped avidin...
- Anomalous fluorescence enhancement of Cy3 and cy3.5 versus anomalous fluorescence loss of Cy5 and Cy7 upon covalent linking to IgG and noncovalent binding to avidinH J Gruber
Institute of Biophysics and Institute of Chemistry, J Kepler University, Altenberger Strasse 69, A 4040 Linz, Austria
Bioconjug Chem 11:696-704. 2000..The fluorescence properties of these biotin-Cy dye conjugates were examined at all ligand/(strept)avidin ratios (0 </= n </= 4)...
- Avidin and streptavidin in clinical diagnosticsH Schetters
Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Labsystems R and D, Rare Reagents, Penzberg, Germany
Biomol Eng 16:73-8. 1999..The turn around time for standard clinical immunological tests was reduced to 10-20 min from 2-4 h in old assays...
- Reversibility of biotin-binding by selective modification of tyrosine in avidinE Morag
Department of Membrane Research and Biophysics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Biochem J 316:193-9. 1996The tight interaction between the vitamin biotin and the protein avidin is so strong (Ka approximately 10(15) M-1) that conditions which are usually sufficient for protein denaturation fail to dissociate the avidin-biotin complex...
- AvidinOX for highly efficient tissue-pretargeted radionuclide therapyRita De Santis
Department of Immunology, Sigma Tau SpA R and D, Rome, Italy
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 25:143-8. 2010b>Avidin is widely used in vitro for its capacity to bind biotin. However, avidin's in vivo use is limited by its short residence in blood and tissues. An avidin variant, named AvidinOX, has been recently described...
- Conjugation of an anti transferrin receptor IgG3-avidin fusion protein with biotinylated saporin results in significant enhancement of its cytotoxicity against malignant hematopoietic cellsTracy R Daniels
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1782, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:2995-3008. 2007..protein composed of a mouse/human chimeric IgG3 specific for the human transferrin receptor genetically fused to avidin (anti-hTfR IgG3-Av) as a universal delivery system for cancer therapy...
- Construction of chimeric dual-chain avidin by tandem fusion of the related avidinsTiina A Riihimäki
Institute of Biomedical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
PLoS ONE 6:e20535. 2011b>Avidin is a chicken egg-white protein with high affinity to vitamin H, also known as D-biotin. Many applications in life science research are based on this strong interaction...
- Dual-affinity avidin moleculesVesa P Hytönen
Nanoscience Center, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
Proteins 61:597-607. 2005A recently reported dual-chain avidin was modified further to contain two distinct, independent types of ligand-binding sites within a single polypeptide chain...
- Enhanced gene delivery by avidin-displaying baculovirusJani K Raty
A I Virtanen Institute, Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70120 Kuopio, Finland
Mol Ther 9:282-91. 2004..A useful approach could be based on a high-affinity receptor-ligand pair, such as avidin and biotin. In this study, we have constructed an avidin-displaying baculovirus, Baavi...
- Proteomic analysis of carbonylated proteins in two-dimensional gel electrophoresis using avidin-fluorescein affinity stainingByoung-Sam Yoo
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
Electrophoresis 25:1334-41. 2004..detecting carbonylated proteins in two-dimensional electrophoresis (2-DE) was developed using biotinylation and avidin-fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC) affinity staining...
- My life with affinityMeir Wilchek
Protein Sci 13:3066-70. 2004
- Transfer in SDS of biotinylated proteins from acrylamide gels to an avidin-coated membrane filterArthur Karlin
Center for Molecular Recognition, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Biotechniques 36:1010-6. 2004b>Avidin was covalently linked to aldehyde-derivatized polyethersulfone membrane filters...
- Efficient production of active chicken avidin using a bacterial signal peptide in Escherichia coliVesa P Hytönen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Nanoscience Center, P O Box 35 YAB, FIN 40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
Biochem J 384:385-90. 2004Chicken avidin is a highly popular tool with countless applications in the life sciences. In the present study, an efficient method for producing avidin protein in the periplasmic space of Escherichia coli in the active form is described...
- Artificial metalloenzymes: (strept)avidin as host for enantioselective hydrogenation by achiral biotinylated rhodium-diphosphine complexesMyriem Skander
Institute of Chemistry, , Avenue Bellevaux 51, CP2, , Switzerland
J Am Chem Soc 126:14411-8. 2004..metalloenzymes based on the noncovalent incorporation of biotinylated rhodium-diphosphine complexes in (strept)avidin as host proteins...
- Disintegration of layer-by-layer assemblies composed of 2-iminobiotin-labeled poly(ethyleneimine) and avidinHiroyuki Inoue
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8578, Japan
Biomacromolecules 6:27-9. 2005A layer-by-layer thin film composed of avidin and 2-iminobiotin-labeled poly(ethyleneimine) (ib-PEI) was prepared and their sensitivity to the environmental pH and biotin was studied...
- Fibronectin and culture temperature modulate the efficacy of an avidin-biotin binding system for chondrocyte adhesion and growth on biodegradable polymersWei Bor Tsai
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Biotechnol Bioeng 98:498-507. 2007..Previously, we showed that immobilization of biotin molecules to chondrocyte surfaces enhanced cell adhesion to avidin-coated biodegradable polymers such as poly-L-lactic acid, poly-D,L-lactic acid and polycaprolactone...
- Evaluation of indirect and avidin-biotin enzyme linked immunosorbent assays for detection of anti-listeriolysin O antibodies in bovine milk samplesD R Kalorey
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Nagpur Veterinary College, Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University, Nagpur 440 006, India
Zoonoses Public Health 54:301-6. 2007..Enzyme linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) [indirect and avidin-biotin (A-B)] for detecting L...
- Micropatterned avidin arrays on silicon substrates via photolithography, self-assembly and bioconjugationTimothy L Vail
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, P O Box 5698, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5698, USA
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 43:85-91. 2006..Carboxylates were used to couple a form of avidin to create a microarray of protein. This microarray was successfully probed with biotinylated quantum dots...
- Assessing the sensitivity of commercially available fluorophores to the intracellular environmentAntony K Chen
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anal Chem 80:7437-44. 2008..Overall, the present study provides a means to select fluorophores for studies that require an absolute quantification of fluorescence in the intracellular environment...
- Improved magnetic resonance molecular imaging of tumor angiogenesis by avidin-induced clearance of nonbound bimodal liposomesGeralda A F van Tilborg
Biomedical NMR, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Neoplasia 10:1459-69. 2008..This was accomplished by the use of a so-called avidin chase, which allowed rapid clearance of non-bound paramagnetic RGD-biotin-liposomes from the blood circulation...
- Chicken genome analysis reveals novel genes encoding biotin-binding proteins related to avidin familyEinari A Niskanen
Nanoscience Center, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, FIN 40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
BMC Genomics 6:41. 2005....
- Antibody-mediated targeting of siRNA via the human insulin receptor using avidin-biotin technologyChun Fang Xia
Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Mol Pharm 6:747-51. 2009..cells in culture, and in vivo, is possible with combined use of a receptor-specific monoclonal antibody (mAb) and avidin-biotin technology...
- Highly selective cyclic peptide ligands for NeutrAvidin and avidin identified by phage displayScott C Meyer
Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Chem Biol Drug Des 68:3-10. 2006..In methods such as phage-display selections, biotinylated macromolecular targets are often immobilized on avidin- and streptavidin-functionalized supports...
- Novel avidin-like protein from a root nodule symbiotic bacterium, Bradyrhizobium japonicumHenri R Nordlund
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Nanoscience Center, P. O. Box 35 (YAB, , Finland
J Biol Chem 280:13250-5. 2005..These bacteria have a gene encoding a putative avidin- and streptavidin-like protein, which bears an amino acid sequence identity of only about 30% over the core ..
- Design of attachment type of drug delivery system by complex formation of avidin with biotinyl drug model and biotinyl saccharideTatsuro Ouchi
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Kansai University, Suita Osaka 564 8680, Japan
J Control Release 94:281-91. 2004..We propose a new type of drug delivery system (DDS) by formation of a complex containing avidin (Av) plus biotinyl drug with a biotinyl homing device, which easily accommodates the combination of various drugs ..
- Biotin induces tetramerization of a recombinant monomeric avidin. A model for protein-protein interactionsO H Laitinen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, , FIN-40351, , Finland
J Biol Chem 276:8219-24. 2001Chicken avidin, a homotetramer that binds four molecules of biotin was converted to a monomeric form by successive mutations of interface residues to alanine...
- Preparation of avidin-labeled protein nanoparticles as carriers for biotinylated peptide nucleic acidK Langer
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Technologie, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt aM, Main, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 49:303-7. 2000The possibility of preparing protein nanoparticles followed by covalent linkage of avidin was investigated...
- Poly(ethylene glycol)-avidin bioconjugates: suitable candidates for tumor pretargetingPaolo Caliceti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Via F Marzolo 5, 35131 Padova, Italy
J Control Release 83:97-108. 2002b>Avidin-poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) conjugates were obtained by derivatization of about 10% of the protein amino groups (four amino groups per protein molecule) with linear 5 kDa PEG or branched 10 or 20 kDa PEGs...
- Radiolabeling of avidin with very high specific activity for internal radiation therapy of intraperitoneally disseminated tumorsMarcelo Mamede
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 9:3756-62. 2003PURPOSE: For the effective internal radiation therapy of i.p. disseminated tumors, we developed avidin (Av)-dendrimer-chelate complex, which can be labeled with indium-111, emitting Auger and conversion electrons, with very high specific ..
- Easily reversible desthiobiotin binding to streptavidin, avidin, and other biotin-binding proteins: uses for protein labeling, detection, and isolationJames D Hirsch
Molecular Probes, Inc, Eugene, OR 97402, USA
Anal Biochem 308:343-57. 2002The high-affinity binding of biotin to avidin, streptavidin, and related proteins has been exploited for decades...
- Differential recovery of biotinylated microbial proteins using monomeric or polymeric avidinTripti Khare
Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Biotechniques 40:584, 586, 588. 2006
- Synthesis and biodistribution of 211At-labeled, biotinylated, and charge-modified poly-L-lysine: evaluation for use as an effector molecule in pretargeted intraperitoneal tumor therapySture Lindegren
Department of Radiation Physics, Goteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45, Sweden
Bioconjug Chem 13:502-9. 2002..The in vitro avidin binding ability of the modified polymer was almost complete (90-95%), as determined by binding to avidin beads ..
- Detection of biotinylated proteins in polyacrylamide gels using an avidin-fluorescein conjugateMichihiro Nakamura
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Tokushima University, 3-18-15 Kuramoto, Tokushima 770-8503, Japan
Anal Biochem 304:231-5. 2002..paper, we demonstrated that biotinylated proteins after electrophoresis were detected directly in gels using an avidin-fluorescein conjugate with a fluorescence image analyzer...
- Fabrication of disposable sensors for biomolecule detection using hydrazine electrocatalystMuhammad J A Shiddiky
Department of Chemistry and Center for Innovative BioPhysio Sensor Technology, Pusan National University, Busan 609 735, South Korea
Anal Biochem 379:170-5. 2008..The thiolated DNA probe or primary antibody was subsequently immobilized on the AuNP-covered dendrimer surfaces. Avidin-labeled hydrazine (Av-Hyd) was then immobilized on the sensor surfaces through the avidin-biotin interaction ..
- Charge patterns as templates for the assembly of layered biomolecular structuresNicola Naujoks
Nanotechnology Group, ETH Zurich, Tannenstr 3, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:2445-50. 2006..these patterns can now be used to initiate the localized layer-by-layer assembly of biomolecules based on the avidin-biotin mechanism...
- A versatile system for site-specific enzymatic biotinylation and regulated expression of proteins in cultured mammalian cellsJohn D Kulman
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Protein Expr Purif 52:320-8. 2007....
- Synthesis and characterization of novel biotinylated biodegradable poly(ethylene glycol)-b-poly(carbonate-lactic acid) copolymersZhigang Xie
State Key Laboratory of Polymer Physics and Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun, Jilin 130022, PR China
Acta Biomater 1:635-41. 2005..Gel permeation chromatography, Fourier transform infrared, differential scanning calorimetry and 1H nuclear magnetic resonance studies confirmed the copolymer structures and successful attachment of biotin to the copolymer...
- Metabolic biotinylation provides a unique platform for the purification and targeting of multiple AAV vector serotypesGregory S Arnold
Gene Therapy Center, Columbus Children's Research Institute, Columbus Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Mol Ther 14:97-106. 2006..Biotin moieties are exposed on the surface of assembled AAV particles and can interact with avidin. Metabolically biotinylated AAV vectors produced in this manner maintained endogenous titer and tissue tropism, ..
- Synthesis of a biotin-derived alkyne for pd-catalyzed coupling reactionsCesear Corona
New Mexico State University, P.O. Box 30001MSC 3C, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003, USA
Org Lett 8:1883-6. 2006..Strept)avidin binding was observed using soluble and immobilized receptors...
- Phospholipid biotinylation of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) for protein immobilizationBo Huang
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-5080, USA
Lab Chip 6:369-73. 2006..We demonstrate the immobilization of biotinylated antibodies and lectins through biotin-avidin interactions.
- Comparison of adenovirus fiber, protein IX, and hexon capsomeres as scaffolds for vector purification and cell targetingSamuel K Campos
The Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005, USA
Virology 349:453-62. 2006..In contrast, single-step monomeric avidin affinity purification of Ad vectors using the metabolic biotinylation system is most effective through capsomeres ..
- Binding of bovine lactoferrin to Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. dysgalactiae isolated from cows with mastitisHee Myung Park
Food Safety Center of Excellence, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 208:35-9. 2002..UT516, UT519, ATCC 27957) were used to determine if bovine lactoferrin (Lf) binds to bacterial cells by biotin avidin binding assay (BABA), enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), and binding inhibition assay...
- (Strept)avidin as host for biotinylated coordination complexes: stability, chiral discrimination, and cooperativityAndreas Loosli
Institute of Chemistry, , Av. Bellevaux 51, CP 2, , Switzerland
Inorg Chem 45:660-8. 2006Incorporation of a biotinylated ruthenium tris(bipyridine) [Ru(bpy)(2)(Biot-bpy)](2+) (1) in either avidin or streptavidin-(strept)avidin-can be conveniently followed by circular dichroism spectroscopy...
- Dynamic force measurements of avidin-biotin and streptavdin-biotin interactions using AFMMarzena de Odrowaz Piramowicz
Institute of Nuclear Physics, Polish Academy of Sciences, , Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 53:93-100. 2006..atomic force microscopy (AFM) we performed dynamic force measurements of the adhesive forces in two model systems: avidin-biotin and streptavidin-biotin...
- Surface-tethered DNA complexes for enhanced gene deliveryTatiana Segura
Department of Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road E156, Evanston, Illinois 60208-3120, USA
Bioconjug Chem 13:621-9. 2002..different mixtures of biotinylated and nonbiotinylated polylysine and incubated on neutravidin (nonglycosylated avidin)-coated surfaces. DNA surface densities ranging from 0.1 to 4...
- Microwave-accelerated ultrafast nanoparticle aggregation assays using gold colloidsKadir Aslan
Institute of Fluorescence, Laboratory for Advanced Medical Plasmonics, Medical Biotechnology Center, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, 725 West Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Anal Chem 79:2131-6. 2007..heating, was demonstrated using a model aggregation assay based on the well-known interactions of biotin and avidin. Biotinylated gold colloids were aggregated in solution with the addition of streptavidin, which takes 20 min at ..
- Role of electrophilic/redox active quinoids in estrogen carcinogenesisJudy L Bolton; Fiscal Year: 2010..The targeted proteins will be isolated using avidin affinity chromatography, separated by 2D electrophoresis, digested, and analyzed by MALDI-TOF and LC-MS-MS. 3...
- Role of electrophilic/redox active quinoids in estrogen carcinogenesisJUDY BOLTON; Fiscal Year: 2007..The targeted proteins will be isolated using avidin affinity chromatography, separated by 2D electrophoresis, digested, and analyzed by MALDI-TOF and LC-MS-MS. 3...
- BIOSPECIFIC POLYMER ENZYME CONJUGATES FOR DRUG DELIVERYGLEN KWON; Fiscal Year: 2004..fractionating in terms of number of attached biotinylated PEG on CPA using an immobilized monomeric avidin. A biotin moiety may tether an antibody in conjunction with biotin and streptavidin...
- STRUCTURE OF THE GABA A RECEPTOR BINDING SITESCynthia Czajkowski; Fiscal Year: 2003..detection of a modified cysteine can be accomplished by using the SH- reagent, MTSEA-Biotin, in combination with avidin-bead precipitation and Western blotting techniques...
- Carcinogenic Metabolites Formed from AntiestrogenJudy L Bolton; Fiscal Year: 2010..The targeted proteins will be isolated using avidin affinity chromatography, separated by 2D electrophoresis, digested, and analyzed by MALDI-TOF and LC-MS-MS...
- ENHANCING ACTIVITY OF ALKYLATING AGENTS IN NEUROBLASTOMACharles Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2001..recycling assay, ROS by carboxy-DCFDA flow cytometry, ROS-induced 8-oxodeoxyguanosine DNA damage by avidin binding technique, DAN single strand breaks and interstrand crosslinking by alkaline elution, p3/p21 levels by ..
- IMMUNOBIOLOGY OF SCHISTOSOME-MOLLUSK INTERACTIONSTIMOTHY YOSHINO; Fiscal Year: 1993..Surface polypeptides from S and R strain hemocytes will be labeled using a highly sensitive biotin-avidin system and subjected to SDS-PAGE analyses to compare the occurrence of individual surface polypeptides on cells of ..
- STRUCTURE AND INTERACTIONS OF MODEL BIOMEMBRANESJacob Israelachvili; Fiscal Year: 1993..single-tailed vs double-tailed lipids, osmotically swollen bilayers, ligand-receptor interactions such as Avidin/Biotin, and the protein-lipid interactions occuring in the fusogenic protein Synexin and in the lung surfactant ..