Summary: An alloy used in restorative dentistry that contains mercury, silver, tin, copper, and possibly zinc.
Publications323 found, 100 shown here
- Economic impact of regulating the use of amalgam restorationsTryfon Beazoglou
Department of Craniofacial Sciences, School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Ave, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Public Health Rep 122:657-63. 2007..This article estimates the financial impact of a ban on amalgam restorations for selected population groups: the entire population, children, and children and women of childbearing age...
- Survival and reasons for failure of amalgam versus composite posterior restorations placed in a randomized clinical trialMario Bernardo
Community and Preventive Dentistry, Faculdade de Medicina Dentaria, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
J Am Dent Assoc 138:775-83. 2007..Study dentists saw subjects annually to conduct follow-up oral examinations and take bitewing radiographs. Restorations needing replacement were failures. The dentists recorded differential reasons for restoration failure...
- 12-year survival of composite vs. amalgam restorationsN J M Opdam
College of Dental Science, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, NL 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 89:1063-7. 2010..Large composite restorations showed a higher survival in the combined population and in the low-risk group. For three-surface restorations in high-risk patients, amalgam showed better survival...
- LTT-MELISA is clinically relevant for detecting and monitoring metal sensitivityElizabeth Valentine-Thon
Laboratory Center Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 27:17-24. 2006..In addition, we determined the reproducibility of the assay and assessed its clinical relevance for detecting and monitoring hypersensitivity to metals...
- Neurobehavioral effects of dental amalgam in children: a randomized clinical trialTimothy A DeRouen
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
JAMA 295:1784-92. 2006..No randomized clinical trials have determined whether there are significant health risks associated with this low-level mercury exposure...
- Mercury exposure and risks from dental amalgam in the US population, post-2000G M Richardson
SNC Lavalin Environment, Suite 110, 20 Colonnade Road, Ottawa, ON Canada
Sci Total Environ 409:4257-68. 2011b>Dental amalgam is 50% metallic mercury (Hg) by weight and Hg vapour continuously evolves from in-place dental amalgam, causing increased Hg content with increasing amalgam load in urine, faeces, exhaled breath, saliva, blood, and various ..
- Modification of neurobehavioral effects of mercury by a genetic polymorphism of coproporphyrinogen oxidase in childrenJames S Woods
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 34:513-21. 2012..years of age at baseline, participated in a clinical trial to evaluate the neurobehavioral effects of Hg from dental amalgam tooth fillings in children...
- Amalgam studies: disregarding basic principles of mercury toxicityJ Mutter
Institute for Environmental Medicine and Hospital Epidemiology, University Hospital, Freiburg, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 207:391-7. 2004b>Dental amalgam, which has been used for over 150 years in dental practice, consists of about 50% metallic mercury...
- Oral lichen planus and dental materials: a case-control studyMichael D Martin
Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Contact Dermatitis 48:331-6. 2003....
- Determination of mercury in blood, urine and saliva for the biological monitoring of an exposure from amalgam fillings in a group with self-reported adverse health effectsHolger Zimmer
Institute and Policlinic of Occupational and Social Medicine, University Hospital of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 205:205-11. 2002..Mercury levels in saliva did not correlate with the concentrations in blood and urine, but merely with the number of amalgam fillings or of the filling surfaces. Mercury in saliva is therefore not recommended for a biological monitoring...
- Release of mercury from dental amalgam and its influence on salivary antioxidant activityM Pizzichini
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Siena, Italy
Sci Total Environ 284:19-25. 2002b>Dental amalgam fillings are known to release significant amounts of mercury (Hg) in saliva which could represent a continuous source of oxidative damage to mouth tissues...
- Mercury concentrations in urine, scalp hair, and saliva in children from GermanyA Pesch
Department of Hygiene, Social and Environmental Medicine, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 12:252-8. 2002..Up to now, saliva does not seem to be a suitable tool to monitor the mercury burden, at least not at low exposure levels...
- The three modern faces of mercuryThomas W Clarkson
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:11-23. 2002..Mechanisms of action are discussed where possible. Key gaps in our current knowledge are identified from the points of view both of risk assessment and of mechanisms of action...
- Dental amalgam and mercury levels in autopsy tissues: food for thoughtGianpaolo Guzzi
Italian Association for Metals and Biocompatibility Research AIRMEB, Milan, Italy
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 27:42-5. 2006..On these same cadavers, all dental amalgam fillings (the most important source of inorganic mercury exposure in the general population, according to the ..
- Comments on the article "the toxicology of mercury and its chemical compounds" by Clarkson and Magos (2006)Joachim Mutter
University Hospital, Institute for Environmental Medicine and Hospital Epidemiology, Freiburg, Germany
Crit Rev Toxicol 37:537-49; discussion 551-2. 2007Clarkson and Magos (2006) provide their perspectives on the toxicology of mercury vapor and dental amalgam. As scientists who are involved in preparing a German federal guideline regarding dental amalgam, we welcome additional scientific ..
- The role of environmental factors in autoimmune thyroiditisMonika Hybenova
Institute of Immunology and Microbiology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 31:283-9. 2010..The important source of mercury is dental amalgam. Replacement of amalgam in mercury-allergic subjects resulted in improvement of health in about 70% of ..
- Assessment of reference values for mercury in urine: the results of an Italian polycentric studyP Apostoli
Institute of Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene, University of Brescia, Italy
Sci Total Environ 289:13-24. 2002....
- Mercury release from dental amalgam restorations after magnetic resonance imaging and following mobile phone useS M J Mortazavi
Department of Medical Physics, School of Paramedical Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 11:1142-6. 2008..b>Dental amalgam restoration was performed for all 14 students...
- Mercury in amalgam tattoosGianpaolo Guzzi
Micron 38:694-5; author reply 696. 2007
- Diagnosis and treatment of metal-induced side-effectsVera Stejskal
Dept of Immunology and Microbiology, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 27:7-16. 2006..RID has to be done done with extreme caution and according to standard working protocol. If performed properly, this treatment can result in decreased systemic inflammation and improved health in sensitized patients...
- Overview of the clinical toxicity of mercuryLaszlo Magos
Ann Clin Biochem 43:257-68. 2006..It covers not only symptoms and signs observed in poisoned individuals by a clinician but also subclinical effects in population studies, the final evaluation of which is the domain of statisticians...
- The use of amalgam in pediatric dentistryAnna B Fuks
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Hebrew University, Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Pediatr Dent 24:448-55. 2002..Currently, amalgam demonstrates the best clinical success for Class II restorations that extend beyond the proximal line angles of permanent molars...
- Inhibition of human gelatinases by metals released from dental amalgamA P Souza
Department de Morfologia, Faculdade de Odontologia de Piracicaba, UNICAMP, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Biomaterials 22:2025-30. 2001..The aim of this study was to test the effect of metal ions released from dental amalgam on the major gingival gelatinolytic MMPs...
- Blood mercury following DMPS administration to subjects with and without dental amalgamJan S Vamnes
Department of Odontology Dental Biomaterials, University of Bergen, Aarstadveien 17, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Sci Total Environ 308:63-71. 2003The use of DMPS as a diagnostic tool in patients with symptoms allegedly caused by mercury from dental amalgam fillings is disputed. We have previously shown that the mercury concentrations in urine cannot be used in such a way...
- Purchasing, installing and operating dental amalgam separators: practical issuesKevin R McManus
EnviroBusiness, Cambridge, Mass, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:1054-65. 2003..Dental offices are an identifiable source of mercury in the form of dental amalgam. Although mercury in dental amalgam is not immediately bioavailable (that is, it has not been shown to ..
- Evaluation of the mercury exposure of dental amalgam patients by the Mercury Triple TestG Hansen
Laboratoire d Hygiène du Milieu et de Surveillance Biologique, Laboratoire National de Santé, Luxembourg
Occup Environ Med 61:535-40. 2004..To establish and analyse reference data for the mercury burden of patients with and without amalgam fillings...
- Issues in design and analysis of a randomized clinical trial to assess the safety of dental amalgam restorations in childrenTimothy A DeRouen
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7475, USA
Control Clin Trials 23:301-20. 2002..in Children is a randomized clinical trial designed to assess the safety of low-level mercury exposure from dental amalgam restorations in children...
- Mercury from dental amalgam: looking beyond the averageL Barregard
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Academy, PB 414, 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Occup Environ Med 62:352-3. 2005
- Urinary mercury concentrations associated with dental restorations in adult women aged 16-49 years: United States, 1999-2000B A Dye
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Occup Environ Med 62:368-75. 2005..Previous studies have reported a positive association between urine mercury levels and the number of dental amalgams, but this relation has never been described in a nationally representative sample in the United States...
- Urinary mercury in people living near point sources of mercury emissionsLars Barregard
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Sci Total Environ 368:326-34. 2006..This was the case also when the comparison was restricted to subjects with no dental amalgam and low fish consumption...
- Oral lichen planus: mercury and its kinPaolo D Pigatto
Arch Dermatol 141:1472-3; author reply 1473. 2005
- New insight into biomarkers of human mercury exposure using naturally occurring mercury stable isotopesLaura S Sherman
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Michigan, 1100 N University Ave, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, United States
Environ Sci Technol 47:3403-9. 2013..These data suggest that within populations that consume fish, urine total Hg concentrations may overestimate Hg exposure from personal dental amalgams...
- Catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) VAL158MET functional polymorphism, dental mercury exposure, and self-reported symptoms and moodNicholas J Heyer
Battelle Centers for Public Health Research and Evaluation, Seattle, WA, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 72:599-609. 2009..These findings extend evidence of genetic factors potentially affecting human susceptibility to the toxic effects of mercury and other environmental chemicals...
- A significant dose-dependent relationship between mercury exposure from dental amalgams and kidney integrity biomarkers: a further assessment of the Casa Pia children's dental amalgam trialD A Geier
Institute of Chronic Illnesses, Inc, Silver Spring, USA
Hum Exp Toxicol 32:434-40. 2013..Urinary biomarkers of kidney integrity were examined in children of 8-18 years old, with and without dental amalgam fillings, from a completed clinical trial (parent study)...
- Dental amalgam, mercury toxicity, and renal autoimmunityGianpaolo Guzzi
Italian Association for Metals and Biocompatibility Research A I R M E B, Milan, Italy
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 27:147-55. 2008..Since humans are exposed to mercury vapor (Hg0) from dental amalgam restorations and kidney is an important target organ of mercury vapor and mercury deposition in kidney ..
- Mercury (Hg) burden in children: the impact of dental amalgamIman Al-Saleh
Biological and Medical Research Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, PO Box 3354, Riyadh 11211, Saudi Arabia
Sci Total Environ 409:3003-15. 2011The risks and benefits of using mercury (Hg) in dental amalgam have long been debated...
- Dental magnetic resonance imaging: making the invisible visibleDjaudat Idiyatullin
The Center for Magnetic Resonance Research and Department of Radiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Endod 37:745-52. 2011..The purpose of this work was to assess the feasibility of a recently developed magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technique, called SWeep Imaging with Fourier Transform (SWIFT), to visualize dental tissues...
- Effect of dental amalgam on gene expression profiles in rat cerebrum, cerebellum, liver and kidneyYoshifumi Takahashi
Department of Dental Material Science, School of Dentistry, Aichi Gakuin University, Aichi, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 37:663-6. 2012b>Dental amalgam is a source of exposure to elemental mercury vapor in the general population...
- Immune function effects of dental amalgam in children: a randomized clinical trialBruce J Shenker
Department of Pathology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:1496-505. 2008b>Dental amalgam is a widely used restorative material containing 50 percent elemental mercury that emits mercury vapor...
- Shear bond strength of brackets bonded to amalgam with different intermediate resins and adhesivesDerya Germec
Department of Orthodontics, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Orthod 31:207-12. 2009..Bond failure occurred at the amalgam-adhesive interface regardless of the adhesive system and without damage to the amalgam restoration...
- The role of histopathological characteristics in distinguishing amalgam-associated oral lichenoid reactions and oral lichen planusMartin H Thornhill
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine and Surgery, University of Sheffield School of Clinical Dentistry, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 35:233-40. 2006..To identify histological features that distinguish amalgam-associated oral lichenoid reactions (AAOLR) from oral lichen planus (OLP)...
- Oral lichenoid reaction associated with tin component of amalgam restorations: a case reportVivek Aggarwal
Department of Dental Surgery, Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
Am J Dermatopathol 32:46-8. 2010..The clinician should be aware of all possible pathological etiologies of white lesions. If there is any doubt about the nature or management of an unusual oral lesion, referral to appropriate specialists is mandatory...
- The association between serotonin transporter gene promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR), self-reported symptoms, and dental mercury exposureNicholas J Heyer
Battelle Centers for Public Health Research and Evaluation, Seattle, Washington 98109 3598, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 71:1318-26. 2008..These findings suggest that within this restricted population increased symptoms of depression, anxiety, and memory are associated with the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism among both males and females...
- Oral lichenoid lesions related to dental restorative materialsY Issa
Turner School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, UK
Br Dent J 198:361-6; disussion 549; quiz 372. 2005..To determine the effectiveness of replacing restorations considered to be the cause of an oral lichenoid lesion (oral lichenoid reaction)(OLL)...
- Amalgam exposure and neurological functionAlbert Kingman
Division of Clinical Research and Health Promotion, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, 45 Center Drive, Room 4As 25U, Bethesda, MD 20892 6401, USA
Neurotoxicology 26:241-55. 2005..An assessment of exposure to dental amalgam fillings was added to the 1997-1998 health examination to investigate possible associations between amalgam ..
- Stressful negative life events and amalgam-related complaintsAnna Sundström
Centre for Population Studies Ageing and Living Conditions Programme, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 39:12-8. 2011..The role of stressful life events in the onset of self-reported amalgam-related complaints is unclear. The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between life events and amalgam-related complaints...
- Lichenoid reaction associated to amalgam restorationJuan Jose Segura-Egea
Dpto de Estomatologia, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Sevilla
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 9:423-4; 421-3. 2004..a delayed, type IV, cell mediated immune response to mercury or one of the other constituents of the dental amalgam. We report a case of oral lichenoid reaction associated to amalgam restoration...
- The clinicopathological characteristics of oral lichen planus and its relationship with dental materialsP Lopez-Jornet
Oral Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Contact Dermatitis 51:210-1. 2004..The histological variables showed no statistically significant differences between the groups...
- A significant relationship between mercury exposure from dental amalgams and urinary porphyrins: a further assessment of the Casa Pia children's dental amalgam trialDavid A Geier
Institute of Chronic Illnesses, Inc, Silver Spring, MD, USA
Biometals 24:215-24. 2011..trial that was designed to evaluate the potential health consequences of prolonged exposure to Hg from dental amalgam fillings (the parent study)...
- Oral lichen planus and allergy to dental amalgam restorationsRonald Laeijendecker
Department of Dermatology, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Dordrecht, The Netherlands
Arch Dermatol 140:1434-8. 2004....
- Maternal and neonatal hair mercury concentrations: the effect of dental amalgamS W Lindow
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Hull Maternity Hospital, UK
BJOG 110:287-91. 2003To evaluate maternal and fetal hair mercury levels in relation to the placement of dental amalgam tooth restorations.
- Effects of surface treatment on orthodontic bonding to amalgamJonathan W Skilton
School of Dental Science, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust Orthod J 22:59-66. 2006..This study aimed to compare the shear bond strengths of metal brackets bonded to amalgam surfaces...
- Mercury vapor release from dental amalgam after laser treatmentT Pioch
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Oral Sci 106:600-2. 1998..With the solid state lasers tested, however, the Hg vapor measurements taken indicated that pulses applied to amalgam cause a substantially increased release of Hg vapor. This vapor may contribute to the patient's total mercury exposure...
- Memory functions in persons with dental amalgamK Dalen
Department of Clinical Neuropsychology, University of Bergen, Jonas Liesvei 91, N 5009, Bergen, Norway
J Dent 31:487-92. 2003Memory and psychophysiological variables in persons with self-reported reactions to dental amalgam (amalgam patients: N=26) and in persons without such symptoms (controls: N=21) were compared...
- Improved orthodontic bonding to silver amalgam. Part 2. Lathe-cut, admixed, and spherical amalgams with different intermediate resinsT Buyukyilmaz
Department of Orthodontics, Dental Faculty, Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Angle Orthod 68:337-44. 1998..05). The implications of these findings are discussed in relationship to clinical experience bonding orthodontic attachments to large amalgam restorations in posterior teeth...
- A method of eliminating streak artifacts from metallic dental restorations in CTs of head and neck cancer patientsO Odlum
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, 789 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 0W2
Spec Care Dentist 21:72-4. 2001..The substitution of radiolucent for metallic restorations in special cases should be considered as a solution to CT dental artifact problems...
- A new multipurpose dental adhesive for orthodontic use: an in vitro bond-strength studyD Harari
Department of Orthodontics, Hebrew University Hadassah Faculty of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 118:307-10. 2000..It is suggested that HQB can be applied for orthodontic use, but further clinical studies are required to evaluate its efficacy...
- Magnetic susceptibility and electrical conductivity of metallic dental materials and their impact on MR imaging artifactsJana Starcuková
Institute of Scientific Instruments of the ASCR, v v i, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Kralovopolska 147, 612 64 Brno, Czech Republic
Dent Mater 24:715-23. 2008....
- Maternal-fetal distribution of mercury (203Hg) released from dental amalgam fillingsM J Vimy
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol 258:R939-45. 1990In humans, the continuous release of Hg vapor from dental amalgam tooth restorations is markedly increased for prolonged periods after chewing...
- Compressive strength of some polyalkenoates with or without dental amalgam alloy incorporationH M Beyls
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Pedodontics, University of Ghent
Dent Mater 7:151-4. 1991..restorative materials with that of glass ionomers reinforced by the addition of ceramic-coated silver or dental amalgam alloy particles to the aluminosilicate glass powder...
- Decrease of trace elements in erythrocytes and plasma after removal of dental amalgam and other metal alloysPeter Frisk
Foundation for Metal Biology, Uppsala, Sweden
Biol Trace Elem Res 113:247-59. 2006..was to determine the concentration changes of 13 elements in erythrocytes and plasma after the removal of dental amalgam and other metal alloys...
- Renal effects of dental amalgam in children: the New England children's amalgam trialLars Barregard
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Academy, Gothenburg, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 116:394-9. 2008Mercury is nephrotoxic and dental amalgam is a source of mercury exposure.
- A 30-year follow-up of residual effects on New Zealand School Dental Nurses, from occupational mercury exposureLinda Jones
School of Psychology, Massey University, Wellington, New Zealand
Hum Exp Toxicol 26:367-74. 2007..In general, the study suggests that acute symptoms from mercury exposure may be reversible, while some residual health effects may be becoming more of a concern with the women's increasing age...
- Neuropsychological and renal effects of dental amalgam in children: a randomized clinical trialDavid C Bellinger
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital Boston, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 295:1775-83. 2006..No randomized trials have been published that address the concern that inhalation of mercury vapor released by amalgam dental restorations causes adverse health effects...
- Effect of amalgam fillings on the mercury concentration in human amniotic fluidPier Franca Luglie
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Arch Gynecol Obstet 271:138-42. 2005Methyl mercury (MeHg) and metallic Hg are well known as neurotoxic agents. Dental amalgam contributes significantly to elemental Hg vapour exposure in the general population...
- Oral lichenoid reactions associated with amalgam: improvement after amalgam removalA Dunsche
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Kiel, Arnold Heller Str 16, Germany
Br J Dermatol 148:70-6. 2003The pathogenetic relationship between oral lichenoid reactions (OLR) and dental amalgam fillings is still a matter of controversy.
- Blood and urine mercury levels in adult amalgam patients of a randomized controlled trial: interaction of Hg species in erythrocytesS Halbach
Institute of Toxicology, GSF Research Center for Environment and Health, Munich, Germany
Environ Res 107:69-78. 2008Parts of the population are permanently exposed to low levels of Hg degrees and Hg(II) from dental amalgam. It was the aim (1) to investigate the internal exposure to amalgam-related mercury from the kinetics of inorganic Hg in plasma and ..
- Amalgam-contact hypersensitivity lesions and oral lichen planusMartin H Thornhill
Department of Dental Diagnostic Science, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 78229 3900, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 95:291-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between amalgam restorations and oral lichen planus...
- Diagnostic value of a chelating agent in patients with symptoms allegedly caused by amalgam fillingsJ S Vamnes
University of Bergen, Department of Odontology Dental Biomaterials, Norway
J Dent Res 79:868-74. 2000..21 healthy controls with amalgam fillings; 20 patients who claimed symptoms of "mercury poisoning" from dental amalgam; and 20 patients who had amalgam fillings removed because of such symptoms...
- Changes in health complaints after removal of amalgam fillingsT T Sjursen
Department of Clinical Dentistry, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
J Oral Rehabil 38:835-48. 2011..The mechanisms behind this remain to be identified. Reduced exposure to dental amalgam, patient-centred treatment and follow-ups, and elimination of worry are factors that may have influenced the ..
- A 7-year prospective quasi-experimental study of the effects of removing dental amalgam in 76 self-referred patients compared with 146 controlsPer Nerdrum
Oslo University College, Pilestredet 56, 0167 Oslo, Norway
J Psychosom Res 57:103-11. 2004b>Dental amalgam has been suggested to cause long-term physical and mental problems...
- Whole-body imaging of the distribution of mercury released from dental fillings into monkey tissuesL J Hahn
Department of Radiology, University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, Alberta, Canada
FASEB J 4:3256-60. 1990..The dental profession's advocacy of silver amalgam as a stable tooth restorative material is not supported by these findings...
- Adverse health effects related to mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings: toxicological or psychological causes?J Bailer
Department of Clinical Psychology, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany
Psychol Med 31:255-63. 2001..Thus, a psychosomatic aetiology of the complaints should be considered and psychological factors contributing to their aetiology should be identified...
- Healing of oral lichenoid lesions after replacing amalgam restorations: a systematic reviewY Issa
University Dental Hospital of Manchester, England, UK
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 98:553-65. 2004..We sought to systematically review the literature related to oral lichenoid lesions (OLLs) and amalgam restorations...
- Biomonitoring of mercury in patients with complaints attributed to dental amalgam, healthy amalgam bearers, and amalgam-free subjects: a diagnostic studyDieter Melchart
Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:133-40. 2008To investigate the suitability of measurements of mercury (Hg) concentration as a means of identifying patients with health complaints attributed to dental amalgam.
- Dental amalgam and psychosocial status: the New England Children's Amalgam TrialD C Bellinger
Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Dent Res 87:470-4. 2008..vapor cause emotional dysfunction, but it is uncertain whether the levels of exposure that result from having dental amalgam restorations do so...
- Dental amalgam fillings and the amount of organic mercury in human salivaJ Leistevuo
The National Public Health Institute, Antimicrobial Research Laboratory, Turku University, Turku, Finland
Caries Res 35:163-6. 2001..001) in subjects with dental amalgam fillings (n = 88) compared to the nonamalgam study groups (n = 43 and n = 56): log(e) (organic mercury) was ..
- The effect of hydrogen peroxide concentration on metal ion release from dental amalgamS K al-Salehi
Centre for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Department of Adult Dental Care, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, Claremont Crescent, Sheffield S10 2TA, UK
J Dent 35:172-6. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of hydrogen peroxide (HP) concentration on metal ion release from dental amalgam.
- Biomonitoring of DNA damage in peripheral blood lymphocytes of subjects with dental restorative fillingsAngela Di Pietro
Department of Hygiene, Public Health and Preventive Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
Mutat Res 650:115-22. 2008....
- A dose-effect analysis of children's exposure to dental amalgam and neuropsychological function: the New England Children's Amalgam TrialDavid C Bellinger
Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 138:1210-6. 2007..10-year-old children that compared the neuropsychological outcomes of those whose caries were restored using dental amalgam with the outcomes of those those whose caries were restored using mercury-free resin-based composite...
- Mercury in dental amalgam--a neurotoxic risk?Herbert L Needleman
JAMA 295:1835-6. 2006
- Predictors of treatment outcomes after removal of amalgam fillings: associations between subjective symptoms, psychometric variables and mercury levelsWolfgang Weidenhammer
Centre for Complementary Medicine Research, Internal Medicine II, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 38:180-9. 2010..This analysis aimed to study predictors of different treatment outcomes and associations between subjective symptoms, psychometric variables and mercury levels in patients who subjectively attributed their health problems to dental amalgam.
- Migration of mercury from dental amalgam through human teethHugh H Harris
School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Synchrotron Radiat 15:123-8. 2008..Most importantly the detection of Hg in areas of the tooth that once contained an active bloodstream and in calculus indicates that both exposure pathways should be considered as significant...
- Mercury recovery in situ of four different dental amalgam separatorsLars D Hylander
Department of Earth Sciences, Air and Water Science, Uppsala University, Villavägen 16, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Sci Total Environ 366:320-36. 2006Amalgam separators are used to physically remove dental amalgam from waste water in dental clinics. They are thereby supposed to reduce mercury (Hg) emissions to the municipal waste water system to acceptable levels...
- The release of mercury from dental amalgam and potential neurotoxicological effectsM Sweeney
Hard Tissue Research Group, Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, University of Glasgow, 378 Sauchiehall Street, Scotland Glasgow G2 3JZ, UK
J Dent 30:243-50. 2002..The aim of this study was to estimate the amount of mercury released into both air and saliva from fresh and aged, abraded amalgam discs and then investigate neurotoxic effects of inorganic mercury upon sensory neuronal cultures...
- Removal of dental amalgam and other metal alloys supported by antioxidant therapy alleviates symptoms and improves quality of life in patients with amalgam-associated ill healthUlf Lindh
Department of Oncology, Radiology and Clinical Immunology, Rudbeck Laboratory, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 23:459-82. 2002The purpose of this study was to evaluate treatment of patients suffering from chronic ill health with a multitude of symptoms associated with metal exposure from dental amalgam and other metal alloys.
- Dental amalgam and multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysisKevin K Aminzadeh
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, Vancouver Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
J Public Health Dent 67:64-6. 2007..To explore and quantify the association between amalgam restorations and MS we have conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature...
- Mercury pink exanthem after dental amalgam placementP D Pigatto
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:377-8. 2008
- Treatment of health complaints attributed to amalgamD Melchart
Centre for Complementary Medicine Research, Internal Medicine II, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Dent Res 87:349-53. 2008..The individuals were randomly assigned either to removal of dental amalgam only (removal group), or removal in combination with a "biological detoxification" therapy with high doses of ..
- Changed clinical chemistry pattern in blood after removal of dental amalgam and other metal alloys supported by antioxidant therapyPeter Frisk
Foundation for Metal Biology, Uppsala, Sweden
Biol Trace Elem Res 120:163-70. 2007This study aimed to investigate a possible connection between removal of dental amalgam restorations supported by antioxidant therapy and indicative changes of clinical chemistry parameters...
- Dental amalgam as one of the risk factors in autoimmune diseasesJirina Bartova
Institute of Dental Research, lst Medical Faculty, Charles University and General Faculty Hospital Prague, Vinohradská 48, 120 60 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 24:65-7. 2003Experimental and clinical data published recently show that dental amalgam can give rise to undesirable immunological responses in susceptible individuals...
- Mercury amalgam dental fillings: an epidemiologic assessmentMichael N Bates
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, 140 Warren Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Int J Hyg Environ Health 209:309-16. 2006b>Dental amalgam fillings containing approximately 50% mercury have been used for almost 200 years and have been controversial for almost the same time. Allegations of effects caused by amalgams have involved many diseases...
- Dental amalgam restorations: daily mercury dose and biocompatibilityRichard J Mitchell
Department of Oral Health Practice, Division of Restorative Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0027, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 15:709-21. 2005..Along the way, the history and chemistry of dental amalgam are outlined...
- Patients' choice of dental treatment following examination at a specialty unit for adverse reactions to dental materialsGunvor Bentung Lygre
University of Bergen, Norway
Acta Odontol Scand 62:258-63. 2004..It appears that the examination at the Dental Biomaterials Adverse Reaction Unit is one of several inputs that influence a person's decision to replace dental materials...
- A follow-up study of patients with subjective symptoms related to dental materialsGunvor Bentung Lygre
Dental Biomaterials Adverse Reaction Unit, UNIFOB, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 33:227-34. 2005....
- Four years of clinical experience with an adverse reaction unit for dental biomaterialsJan Sverre Vamnes
Department of Odontology, Dental Biomaterials, University of Bergen, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:150-7. 2004..We describe the function of, and results from, the Norwegian National Dental Biomaterials Adverse Reaction Unit after 4 years of activity from 1993 to 1997...
- Has dental amalgam been torpedoed and sunk?Derek W Jones
J Dent Res 87:101-2. 2008
- The chemical forms of mercury in aged and fresh dental amalgam surfacesGraham N George
Department of Geological Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, 114 Science Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5E2, Canada
Chem Res Toxicol 22:1761-4. 2009Mercury-containing dental amalgam is known to be a source of human exposure to mercury. We have explored the use of electron yield Hg L(III) X-ray absorption spectroscopy to characterize the chemical nature of dental amalgam surfaces...
- Number of amalgam tooth fillings in relation to subjectively experienced symptoms in a study of Swedish womenM Ahlqwist
Department of Oral Radiology, School of Dentistry, , Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 16:227-31. 1988..This study does not support the view of a correlation between amalgam fillings and symptoms and complaints, at least not on a population level...
- The effect of tin in the Ag-Hg phase of dental amalgam on dissolution of mercuryM Marek
School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA
Dent Mater 13:353-9. 1997The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between the tin content in the gamma 1 phase of dental amalgam and the kinetics of mercury dissolution.
- Mercury inductions in persons with subjective symptoms alleged to dental amalgam fillingsR Stromberg
Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 107:208-14. 1999This study was carried out to determine whether health disturbances alleged to mercury release from dental amalgam fillings, i.e. "amalgam disease", may be caused by an increased sensitivity to mercury (Hg)...
- Genetic Susceptibility to Mercury Toxicity in ChildrenJames S Woods; Fiscal Year: 2012..with neurobehavioral deficits in adults, on the neurotoxic effects of elemental mercury (Hg0) exposure from dental amalgam fillings in children...
- Improved Resin Bonded Dental Restoratives Based on Nanogel-modified AdhesivesJeffrey Stansbury; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- AMALGAM RESTORATIONS AND PREGNANCY OUTCOMESRichard Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 1993A small amount of mercury vapor is released from dental amalgam restorations during mastication. This mercury can potentially influence pregnancy outcomes...
- EVALUATION OF MERCURY RELEASE FROM DENTAL AMALGAMSToru Okabe; Fiscal Year: 2003..to determine the mechanism by which changes in the formulation of the alloy reduce mercury (Hg) release from dental amalgam. A series of alloys will be prepared to test specific hypotheses about the effect of palladium (Pd) additions, ..
- Monomers and nanogel to improve adhesive resin structural integrity/durabilityJeffrey Stansbury; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- DENTAL AMALGAMS AND NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL FUNCTIONPam Factor Litvak; Fiscal Year: 1999..Adverse associations, if found, might lead to less use of mercury amalgams. Alternatively, evidence favoring the null hypothesis would allay widespread fears that a variety of health problems may be associated with amalgam exposure. ..
- Application of Nanogel-modified Resins for Improved Polymeric Dental MaterialsJeffrey Stansbury; Fiscal Year: 2013..The sealant material platform will be further extended to demonstrate the potential bioactivity of polymers with chemically integrated nanogels that convey bactericidal and MMP- inhibition properties. ..
- HEALTH EFFECTS OF DENTAL AMALGAMS IN CHILDRENSonja McKinlay; Fiscal Year: 2005..introduction 150 years ago, but-until recently it has been generally assumed that the exposure to mercury from dental amalgam is limited to the acute placement phase...
- Determinants of the Durability of Resin-Dentin BondsDavid Pashley; Fiscal Year: 2006..This should provide important new insight into designing more durable resin-dentin bonds that can justify the placement of resin-based posterior composites. ..
- CERAMIC WHISKER REINFORCEMENT OF DENTAL COMPOSITE RESINSHUAKUN XU; Fiscal Year: 2002Concerns about mercury in dental amalgam have created a need to extend the use of composite resins to posterior applications...
- HG METABOLIZING BACTERIA IN SUBJECTS WITH DENTAL AMALGAMAnne Summers; Fiscal Year: 1990..press) have demonstrated that a substantial burden of Hg in oral and gastrointestinal tissues can result from dental amalgam Thus, the Hg in such restorations may select for resistant bacteria among the normal flora of either the mouth ..
- ENHANCED DENTAL AMALGAM TRAPCRAIG TURCHI; Fiscal Year: 2003..ADA Technologies will utilize its network of partners and experience in dental waste treatment and equipment manufacturing to bring this enhanced trap rapidly to the marketplace. ..
- THERMALLY INDUCED CHANGES IN DENTAL PORCELAIN EXPANSIONJOHN MACKERT; Fiscal Year: 2002..evidence, as well as assurances from international health advisory groups, that mercury release from dental amalgam poses no health threat to the general population (Mackert and Berglund, 1997a, b), a number of countries have ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITY OF METALLIC MERCURYBernard Weiss; Fiscal Year: 1999..1) Many women in the work force are exposed to mercury vapor. (2) Many, perhaps most, women have dental amalgam fillings. These emit mercury vapor...
- IMMUNOTOXIC PROPERTIES OF MERCURIC COMPOUNDSBRUCE SHENKER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Sources of human exposure to mercury include seafood, seeds, foodstuffs, water, and dental amalgam. In previous studies, the Principal Investigator has shown that mercury, at low concentrations, kills human ..
- HG RELEASE IN DENTAL AMALGAM USING SURFACE SPECTROSCOPYDAVID WIELICZKA; Fiscal Year: 1993..Without conclusive evidence of the concentration of mercury vaporized from the surface of dental amalgam, the public will continue to be swayed by these media reports of mercury poisoning...
- Improved Polymeric Restoratives Through Molecular DesignJ Eick; Fiscal Year: 2005..that will be significantly better than methyacrylate based composite systems and be a suitable replacement for dental amalgam." The specific aims for the overall project are: 1) to focus our research efforts on understanding the ..
- ALTERNATIVE APPROACHES TO MANAGEMENT OF CARIOUS LESIONSW Sneed; Fiscal Year: 2000..for managing dental caries includes excavation of the carious tooth structure followed by "restoration" with dental amalgam. Recently, alternative models have been proposed...
- Neurotoxic Interactions of Different Forms of MercuryBernard Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..The acquisition of these data offers a firm foundation for determining the risks to neurobehavioral development of concurrent exposures to both mercury species. ..
- ENHANCED DENTAL AMALGAM TRAPCRAIG TURCHI; Fiscal Year: 2001..In Europe, similar concerns have led to the development and marketing of devices to capture Dental amalgam. The overall objective of this multiphase SBIR project is to enhance the performance of sedimentation-type ..
- A NOVEL METAL-POLYMER COMPOSITE FOR AMALGAM REPLACEMENTIvan Stangel; Fiscal Year: 2001The use of dental amalgam for the reconstruction of teeth is controversial due to its release of mercury during in-service use. Thus, amalgam alternatives are frequently placed by dental practitioners...
- NANOCOMPOSITE-BASED DENTAL MATERIALSJOSEPH LICHTENHAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Dental restoratives, dentures, and impression materials ..
- CONTRIBUTION OF AMALGAM RESTORATION TO TOTAL BODY BURDENSybil Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2000The overall objective of this project is to determine the contribution that dental amalgam restorations make to the total body burden of mercury in children...
- IMMUNE FUNCTION IN CHILDRENSybil Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2000..will conduct a screen of immune function in children enrolled in a clinical trial on the health effects of dental amalgam conducted through the New England Research Institutes/Forsyth Dental Center Children's Amalgam Trial ..
- SEM/ELECTRON MICROPROBEJack Ferracane; Fiscal Year: 1990..the past twenty years, several of which have been directly responsible for modifications in the composition of dental amalgam. These discoveries have advanced restorative materials...
- DENTAL COMPOSITES BASED ON RIGID, HYPERBRANCHED POLYMERSScott Schricker; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- Novel surface treatment of fillers for dental compositesJeffrey Stansbury; Fiscal Year: 2006..Positive preliminary data offer encouragement that this nanotechnology approach to the resin-filler interface can provide broadly applicable enhancements in function and longevity of widely used Dental restoratives. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF MERCURY-FREE AMALGAM DENTAL FILLINGSRong Wang; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION: (adapted from applicant's abstract) There is a need to develop dental amalgam materials that could continue to utilize the benefits of mercury-based amalgam, in terms of low cost, low technique sensitivity, and long term ..
- BONDED BRIDGES--PROJECTED LONGEVITY/PERIODONTAL RESPONSEMorton Wood; Fiscal Year: 1993..application of Weibull analysis to other clinical data (debond rates for BCPs at the University of Iowa and dental amalgam replacement rates in Denmark). 5...
- CREEP AND CORROSION OF DENTAL AMALGAMSNIKHIL SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 1980..The results obtained so far indicate that the creep resistance of a dental amalgam is adversely affected by the presence of both gamma 1 and gamma 2 whereas beneficial effects on creep ..
- DENTAL AMALGAMS, MERCURYEdward Janoff; Fiscal Year: 2000..resistant and mercury resistant oral bacteria in children 8-10 years who are treated for dental caries with dental amalgam and those treated with composite filling material between baseline (pre- exposure) to 3 months (immediate post-..
- Disruption of Lymphocyte Signal Transduction by HG+2ALLEN ROSENSPIRE; Fiscal Year: 2005..10 ug/day) levels of mercury as a result of ubiquitous environmental factors, including air, food, water, and dental amalgam. For about 3 percent of the population with no known special risk factors, blood levels of mercury exceed 0...
- NON-METAL RESTORATION VIA FREEFORM FABRICATIONWALTER ZIMBECK; Fiscal Year: 2001..not widely used because of their relatively high cost and/or laboratory processing requirements compared to Dental amalgam. It is anticipated the proposed system will offer faster, lower cost process compared to Dental the ..
- A LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF LEAD EXPOSURE AND DENTAL CARIESGene Watson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..Hypothesis: Element mercury released in DWW is converted to Hg(lI) and then in more limited amounts to methyl-mercury by specific biofilm bacterial species in the Dental sewage pipes. ..
- Oramelts with DGL: Treatment of Minor RAUMichael Martin; Fiscal Year: 2004..If these claims are verified in clinical trials, Orahealth Corporation will take the product to market, providing health benefits to the 20% of people who suffer from minor recurrent aphthous ulcers. ..
- CASA PIA STUDY OF DENTAL AMALGAMS IN CHILDRENTimothy Derouen; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- New York State Oral Cancer Control PartnershipJayanth Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also prepare two case studies of oral cancer patients. During the second phase of the project, NYUCD will take the lead in developing, implementing and evaluating interventions. ..
- Growth factor effects on dental pulp cellsDOUGLAS LOBNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a method of maintaining the viability of these cells we are proposing studying the effects of naturally occurring substances called growth factors on dental pulp cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Long-Term Low Level Hydrogen Sulfide ExposureMichael N Bates; Fiscal Year: 2010..Study results will either confirm the adequacy of current U.S. occupational and environmental exposure standards for H2S or provide evidence that they are insufficiently health protective. ..
- DISSOLUTION OF MERCURY FROM DENTAL AMALGAMSMiroslav Marek; Fiscal Year: 2001b>Dental amalgam remains the most common direct filling material for restoration of tooth structure. The presence of mercury in a material used in the oral cavity has raised some concerns...
- Environmental Lead, Thyroid Function & NeurodevelopmentPam Factor Litvak; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Alabama Dental Practice Research Network DevelopmentGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Root deformation and root resorptionThomas Katona; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Statistical Methods for Dental ResearchBrian Leroux; Fiscal Year: 2006..Through this research, we expect to make a significant impact on the analysis of multi-level dental data. ..
- MECHANISMS OF INJURY POTENTIATION BY GROWTH FACTORSDOUGLAS LOBNER; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is believed that these studies will aid in determining under what conditions growth factor induced potentiation of cell death may be of concern regarding their therapeutic use, and how those concerns may be addressed. ..
- Molecular Dynamics in Class II Composite RestorationsBrenda Bohaty; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Oral Health/OHRQOL among low-SES rural adultsGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Mid-Career Investigator Award-Patient-Oriented ResearchGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Asbestos Disease Among Household Contacts of Vermiculite WorkersAlfred Franzblau; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, tests for trend will be conducted to[unreadable] determine significant increasing pleural changes in household contacts by increasing indices of exposure. ..