Genomes and Genes
ciliary neurotrophic factor
Summary: A neurotrophic factor that promotes the survival of various neuronal cell types and may play an important role in the injury response in the nervous system.
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) for human retinal degeneration: phase I trial of CNTF delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implantsPaul A Sieving
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3896-901. 2006..In this Phase I safety trial, human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was delivered by cells transfected with the human CNTF gene and sequestered within capsules that ..
- Neuroprotective and axon growth-promoting effects following inflammatory stimulation on mature retinal ganglion cells in mice depend on ciliary neurotrophic factor and leukemia inhibitory factorMarco Leibinger
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Neurosci 29:14334-41. 2009..Here, we investigated the contribution of glial-derived ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to LI-mediated regeneration and neuroprotection using wild-type and CNTF-deficient mice...
- Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus depends on ciliary neurotrophic factor and signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signalingStephan Müller
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Stem Cells 27:431-41. 2009..The gp130-associated cytokines ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) have been implicated in regulating NSC self-renewal and ..
- AAV-mediated delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor prolongs photoreceptor survival in the rhodopsin knockout mouseF Q Liang
F. M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104, USA
Mol Ther 3:241-8. 2001..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to promote survival of a number of different neuronal cell types, including ..
- Encapsulated cell-based delivery of CNTF reduces photoreceptor degeneration in animal models of retinitis pigmentosaWeng Tao
Neurotech USA, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3292-8. 2002The objective of the present study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) delivered through encapsulated cells directly into the vitreous of the eye in an rcd1 canine model of retinitis pigmentosa...
- Neuroprotective gene therapy for Huntington's disease, using polymer-encapsulated cells engineered to secrete human ciliary neurotrophic factor: results of a phase I studyJ Bloch
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Hum Gene Ther 15:968-75. 2004..Proteins with neuroprotective effects in the adult brain have been identified, among them ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), which protected striatal neurons in animal models of HD...
- Longitudinal study of cone photoreceptors during retinal degeneration and in response to ciliary neurotrophic factor treatmentKatherine E Talcott
Department of Ophthalmology, Division of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of California at San Francisco, CA, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:2219-26. 2011To study cone photoreceptor structure and function in patients with inherited retinal degenerations treated with sustained-release ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF).
- Cryptic physiological trophic support of motoneurons by LIF revealed by double gene targeting of CNTF and LIFM Sendtner
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Curr Biol 6:686-94. 1996..The multifactorial support of motoneurons represents a system of high security, because the inactivation of individual ligands has either no detectable, or relatively small, atrophic or degenerative effect on motoneurons...
- Intraocular elevation of cyclic AMP potentiates ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cell axonsQi Cui
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 22:49-61. 2003..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor increased RGC viability and axonal regrowth, the latter effect substantially enhanced by coapplication ..
- Exogenous CNTF stimulates axon regeneration of retinal ganglion cells partially via endogenous CNTFAdrienne Müller
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Alee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:233-46. 2009..These data demonstrate that CNTF is a potent axon growth-promoting factor for mature RGCs. However, exogenously applied CNTF stimulates RGCs in vivo partially indirectly via a mechanism that depends on astrocyte-derived CNTF...
- CNTF induces regeneration of cone outer segments in a rat model of retinal degenerationYiwen Li
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9495. 2010..In the present work, we investigated cone degeneration secondary to rod loss in the S334ter-3 transgenic rats carrying the rhodopsin mutation S334ter...
- Serine phosphorylation and maximal activation of STAT3 during CNTF signaling is mediated by the rapamycin target mTORK Yokogami
Molecular Neuro Oncology, Neurosurgical Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02129, USA
Curr Biol 10:47-50. 2000Neuropoletic cytokines such as ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can activate multiple signaling pathways in parallel, including those involving Janus kinase (JAK)-signal transducers and activators of transcription (STATs), mitogen-..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor mediates dopamine D2 receptor-induced CNS neurogenesis in adult micePeng Yang
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center and Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
J Neurosci 28:2231-41. 2008..Degeneration of dopaminergic projections in Parkinson's disease and animals reduces, whereas ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes, neurogenesis...
- Regulation of rod phototransduction machinery by ciliary neurotrophic factorRong Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 26:13523-30. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes photoreceptor survival but also suppresses electroretinogram (ERG) responses...
- Endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor is a lesion factor for axotomized motoneurons in adult miceM Sendtner
Clinical Research Unit for Neuroregeneration, Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Neurosci 17:6999-7006. 1997b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is an abundant cytosolic molecule in myelinating Schwann cells of adult rodents...
- Sortilin facilitates signaling of ciliary neurotrophic factor and related helical type 1 cytokines targeting the gp130/leukemia inhibitory factor receptor beta heterodimerJakob Vejby Larsen
MIND Center, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Mol Cell Biol 30:4175-87. 2010..Here we report that ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), and related ligands targeting the established CNTF receptor alpha, binds to sortilin with high ..
- Intraocular gene delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor results in significant loss of retinal function in normal mice and in the Prph2Rd2/Rd2 model of retinal degenerationF C Schlichtenbrede
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, UK
Gene Ther 10:523-7. 2003..The most commonly studied factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), has been shown to preserve retinal morphology and to promote cell survival in a variety of ..
- Effects of adeno-associated virus-vectored ciliary neurotrophic factor on retinal structure and function in mice with a P216L rds/peripherin mutationDean Bok
Department of Neurobiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Exp Eye Res 74:719-35. 2002Past studies have shown that acute administration of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can prolong the survival of retinal photoreceptor cells that have undergone phototoxic injury or that express gene mutations...
- Upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor in reactive Müller cells in the rat retina following optic nerve transectionM H Chun
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Socho gu, 137 701, Seoul, South Korea
Brain Res 868:358-62. 2000We have investigated the expression and cellular localization of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in the rat retina following optic nerve transection...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor and stress stimuli activate the Jak-STAT pathway in retinal neurons and gliaW M Peterson
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, New York 10591, USA
J Neurosci 20:4081-90. 2000b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is pleiotrophic for central, peripheral, and sensory neurons. In the mature retina, CNTF treatment enhances survival of retinal ganglion and photoreceptor cells exposed to otherwise lethal perturbation...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor induces genes associated with inflammation and gliosis in the retina: a gene profiling study of flow-sorted, Müller cellsWei Xue
Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20326. 2011b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a member of the interleukin-6 cytokine family, has been implicated in the development, differentiation and survival of retinal neurons...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor is an early lesion-induced retrograde signal for axotomized facial motoneuronsMatthias Kirsch
Institute of Anatomy, University of Freiburg, P O Box 111, D 79001 Freiburg, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 24:130-8. 2003..Other cytokines like leukemia inhibitory factor obviously become active at later time points...
- Long-term protection of retinal structure but not function using RAAV.CNTF in animal models of retinitis pigmentosaF Q Liang
F. M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Ther 4:461-72. 2001..aimed to determine whether intravitreal administration of an adeno-associated virus (AAV) carrying ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can achieve long-term morphological and physiological rescue of photoreceptors in animal models ..
- Cytokine-induced SOCS expression is inhibited by cAMP analogue: impact on regeneration in injured retinaKevin K Park
School of Anatomy and Human Biology M309, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:313-24. 2009..Survival and regeneration of RGCs is increased by intraocular injections of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and axonal regeneration is further enhanced by co-injection of a cyclic AMP analogue (CPT-cAMP)...
- Purification, cloning, and expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)L F Lin
Protein Chemistry Group, Synergen, Inc, Boulder, CO 80301
Science 246:1023-5. 1989b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is one of a small number of proteins with neurotrophic activities distinct from nerve growth factor (NGF)...
- Function and mechanism of CNTF/LIF signaling in retinogenesisKun Do Rhee
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 664:647-54. 2010b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) exhibit multiple biological effects in the developing vertebrate retina...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents degeneration of motor neurons in mouse mutant progressive motor neuronopathyM Sendtner
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Martinsried, Germany
Nature 358:502-4. 1992b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) supports the survival of embryonic motor neurons in vitro and in vivo, and prevents lesion-mediated degeneration of rat motor neurons during early post-natal stages...
- CNTF and LIF act on neuronal cells via shared signaling pathways that involve the IL-6 signal transducing receptor component gp130N Y Ip
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591
Cell 69:1121-32. 1992b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has a variety of actions within the nervous system...
- Requirement of serine phosphorylation for formation of STAT-promoter complexesX Zhang
Brookdale Center for Molecular Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Science 267:1990-4. 1995..DNA complex formation was inversely correlated with the affinity of Stat3-Stat3 for the binding site. Thus, serine phosphorylation appears to enhance or to be required for the formation of stable Stat3-Stat3.DNA complexes...
- Nuclear factor-kappaB activation via tyrosine phosphorylation of inhibitor kappaB-alpha is crucial for ciliary neurotrophic factor-promoted neurite growth from developing neuronsDenis Gallagher
School of Biosciences, Cardiff CF10 3US, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:9664-9. 2007The cytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes the growth of neural processes from many kinds of neurons in the developing and regenerating adult nervous system, but the intracellular signaling mechanisms mediating this ..
- Intraocular gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents death and increases responsiveness of rod photoreceptors in the retinal degeneration slow mouseM Cayouette
Laboratoire de Transfert de Gènes, Centre de Recherche Universite Laval Robert Giffard, Beauport, Quebec, Canada, G1J 2G3
J Neurosci 18:9282-93. 1998..Here, we report that intraocular adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in this mutant reduces photoreceptor loss, causes a significant increase in the length of ..
- Chronically increased ciliary neurotrophic factor and fibroblast growth factor-2 expression after spinal contusion in ratsRicha B Tripathi
Neuroscience Graduate Studies Program and Department of Neuroscience, Center for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Comp Neurol 510:129-44. 2008..Here, we examined ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) expression, because both factors alter progenitor ..
- Transplantation of ciliary neurotrophic factor-expressing adult oligodendrocyte precursor cells promotes remyelination and functional recovery after spinal cord injuryQilin Cao
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Neurosci 30:2989-3001. 2010..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was the most effective neurotrophic factor to promote oligodendrocyte (OL) differentiation and ..
- Neurotrophic factors in Huntington's diseaseJordi Alberch
Department of Cell Biology and Pathology, Medical School, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Casanova 143, E 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Prog Brain Res 146:195-229. 2004..Neurotrophins, glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor family members and ciliary neurotrophic factor have shown a potent neuroprotective effects on different neuronal populations of the striatum...
- Selective vulnerability and pruning of phasic motoneuron axons in motoneuron disease alleviated by CNTFSan Pun
Friedrich Miescher Institut, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH-4058 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Neurosci 9:408-19. 2006..It is alleviated by ciliary neurotrophic factor and triggers proteasome-dependent pruning of peripheral axon branches...
- CNTF negatively regulates the phototransduction machinery in rod photoreceptors: implication for light-induced photostasis plasticityRong Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 613:407-13. 2008
- Effect of CNTF on retinal ganglion cell survival in experimental glaucomaMary Ellen Pease
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe Street, 175 Woods Research Building, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2194-200. 2009..To assess the neuroprotective effect of virally mediated overexpression of ciliary-derived neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in experimental rat glaucoma...
- Cellular and subcellular patterns of expression of bFGF and CNTF in the normal and light stressed adult rat retinaN Walsh
NSW Retinal Dystrophy Research Centre, Department of Anatomy and Histology, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Exp Eye Res 72:495-501. 2001..stressed rat retina of the neuroprotective factors bFGF (basic fibroblast growth factor) and CNTF (ciliary neurotrophic factor)...
- Relation of weight maintenance and dietary restraint to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2, glucocorticoid receptor, and ciliary neurotrophic factor polymorphismsNeeltje Vogels
Departments of Human Biology and Methodology and Statistics, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 82:740-6. 2005Genetic variation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2 (PPARgamma2), glucocorticoid receptor (GRL), and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) genes may play a role in the etiology of obesity.
- Endogenous and exogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor enhances forebrain neurogenesis in adult miceJ G Emsley
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Exp Neurol 183:298-310. 2003..The receptor for ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), CNTFRalpha, is expressed in the adult subventricular zone...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signals through STAT3-SOCS3 pathway and protects rat pancreatic islets from cytokine-induced apoptosisLuiz F Rezende
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Cytokine 46:65-71. 2009..These findings indicate that CNTF may be a potential therapeutic tool against Type 1 and/or Type 2 diabetes...
- Differential response of neuronal cells to a fusion protein of ciliary neurotrophic factor/soluble CNTF-receptor and leukemia inhibitory factorPia März
Department of Physiology, University of Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 269:3023-31. 2002b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) displays neurotrophic activities on motor neurons and neural cell populations both in vivo and in vitro...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor, cardiotrophin-like cytokine, and neuropoietin share a conserved binding site on the ciliary neurotrophic factor receptor alpha chainFrancois Rousseau
Unité Mixte INSERM 564, Bâtiment Montéclair, 4 rue Larrey, 49033 Angers Cedex 01, France
J Biol Chem 283:30341-50. 2008b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor, cardiotrophin-like cytokine, and neuropoietin are members of the four-helix bundle cytokine family...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor protects retinal ganglion cells from axotomy-induced apoptosis via modulation of retinal glia in vivoB A van Adel
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, HSC-1R1, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Neurobiol 63:215-34. 2005Adenoviral-mediated transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to the retina rescued retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) from axotomy-induced apoptosis, presumably via activation of the high affinity CNTF receptor alpha (CNTFRalpha) ..
- Neuroprotective properties of ciliary neurotrophic factor for cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion neuronsKazunori Sango
Division of Neural Development and Regeneration, Department of Developmental Morphology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashidai, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 130:669-79. 2008We observed that recombinant ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) enhanced survival and neurite outgrowth of cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced sprouting preserves motor function in a mouse model of mild spinal muscular atrophyChristian M Simon
Institute for Clinical Neurobiology, Josef Schneider Str 11, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 19:973-86. 2010..Confocal analysis reveals pronounced sprouting of innervating motor axons. As ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is highly expressed in Schwann cells, we investigated its role for a compensatory sprouting ..
- The ciliary neurotrophic factor and its receptor, CNTFR alphaM W Sleeman
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, NY 10591 6707, USA
Pharm Acta Helv 74:265-72. 2000b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is expressed in glial cells within the central and peripheral nervous systems...
- The effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor on neurological function and glial activity following contusive spinal cord injury in the ratsJunli Ye
Department of Neurobiology, Second Military Medical University, 800 Xiangyin Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Brain Res 997:30-9. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been implicated in the pathophysiology of injury to the central nervous system...
- Molecular cloning, expression and regional distribution of rat ciliary neurotrophic factorK A Stöckli
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Planegg Martinsried, FRG
Nature 342:920-3. 1989b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was originally characterized as a survival factor for chick ciliary neurons in vitro...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor is required for motoneuron sproutingS G Siegel
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience Program, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, 30322, USA
Exp Neurol 166:205-12. 2000We used mutant mice that lack the gene for ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to test the hypothesis that it is an endogenous sprouting factor...
- CNTF genotype is associated with muscular strength and quality in humans across the adult age spanS M Roth
Department of Kinesiology, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, Maryland, USA
J Appl Physiol 90:1205-10. 2001The relationship between ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) genotype and muscle strength was examined in 494 healthy men and women across the entire adult age span (20-90 yr)...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor and its receptors are differentially expressed in the optic nerve transected adult rat retinaVimal Sarup
Department of Ophthalmology and Cell Biology and Anatomy, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Brain Res 1013:152-8. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been implicated in the survival and regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Location of CNTFRalpha on outer segments: evidence of the site of action of CNTF in rat retinaKrisztina Valter
CNS Stability and Degeneration Group, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Brain Res 985:169-75. 2003b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is an important factor in the retina's mechanisms of self-protection. It is generated by retinal glial cells in response to stress, and has a significant protective effect on retinal neurones...
- Continuous exposure to bright light upregulates bFGF and CNTF expression in the rat retinaR Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Curr Eye Res 17:494-500. 1998..To examine mRNA expression of neurotrophic factors in the retina after exposure to bright light...
- A bidirectional regulation between the TR2/TR4 orphan receptors (TR2/TR4) and the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signaling pathwayW J Young
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Pathology, Urology, and Biochemistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 273:20877-85. 1998..that the nuclear orphan receptor TR4 could induce transcriptional activity via the 5th intron of the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) alpha receptor gene (CNTFR-I5)...
- Inhibition of Ras extracellular-signal-regulated kinase (ERK) mediated signaling promotes ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) expression in Schwann cellsK Abe
Departments of Anatomy and Psychiatry and Neurology, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa, Japan
J Neurochem 77:700-3. 2001b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can prevent injury-induced motor neuron death. However, it is also evident that expression of CNTF in Schwann cells is suppressed during nerve regeneration...
- Upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and CNTF receptor alpha in rat kidney with ischemia-reperfusion injuryC W Yang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kangnam St. Mary's Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo-dong, Seocho-Ku, 137-701, Seoul, Korea
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:749-57. 2001b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is presumed to play a role as a survival factor in neuronal cells, but little is known about its role in the kidney...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor: a survival and differentiation inducer in human retinal progenitorsKamla Dutt
Department of Pathology, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive, S W, Atlanta, GA 30310 1495, USA
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 46:635-46. 2010..One of the neurotrophins with promise is the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- AAV-mediated expression of CNTF promotes long-term survival and regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cellsS G Leaver
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Gene Ther 13:1328-41. 2006..adeno-associated viral (AAV-2) vectors encoding enhanced green fluorescent protein (GFP) and either ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) or growth-associated protein-43 (GAP43) on adult ..
- Dedifferentiation of adult human myoblasts induced by ciliary neurotrophic factor in vitroXiaoping Chen
Department of Neurophysiology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Beijing 100850, China
Mol Biol Cell 16:3140-51. 2005b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is primarily known for its important cellular effects within the nervous system. However, recent studies indicate that its receptor can be highly expressed in denervated skeletal muscle...
- Intravitreal injection of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) causes peripheral remodeling and does not prevent photoreceptor loss in canine RPGR mutant retinaWilliam A Beltran
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Exp Eye Res 84:753-71. 2007b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) rescues photoreceptors in several animal models of retinal degeneration and is currently being evaluated as a potential treatment for retinitis pigmentosa in humans...
- Chronic intravitreous infusion of ciliary neurotrophic factor modulates electrical retinal stimulation thresholds in the RCS ratTiffany L Kent
Department of Ophthalmology, Kresge Eye Institute, Ligon Research Center of Vision, Wayne State University, 4717 St Antoine, Detroit, MI 47201, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:372-9. 2008..To determine whether the sustained intravitreous delivery of CNTF modulates cortical response thresholds to electrical retinal stimulation in the RCS rat model of retinal degeneration...
- Regulation of cytokine signaling components in developing rat retina correlates with transient inhibition of rod differentiation by CNTFDaniel Hertle
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Freiburg, P O Box 111, 79001, Freiburg, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 334:7-16. 2008b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is known to inhibit the differentiation of rod photoreceptors from postmitotic precursor cells. During early postnatal development, photoreceptor precursors lose their responsiveness to CNTF...
- The regulation and activation of ciliary neurotrophic factor signaling proteins in adipocytesSanjin Zvonic
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 70803, USA
J Biol Chem 278:2228-35. 2003b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is primarily known for its roles as a lesion factor released by the ruptured glial cells that prevent neuronal degeneration...
- Central nervous system-initiated inflammation and neurotrophism in trauma: IL-1 beta is required for the production of ciliary neurotrophic factorL M Herx
Departments of Clinical Neurosciences and Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Immunol 165:2232-9. 2000..for CNS-initiated inflammation was addressed by examining the expression of the neurotrophic factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Association and activation of Jak-Tyk kinases by CNTF-LIF-OSM-IL-6 beta receptor componentsN Stahl
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Science 263:92-5. 1994A recently defined family of cytokines, consisting of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF), oncostatin M (OSM), and interleukin-6 (IL-6), utilize the Jak-Tyk family of cytoplasmic tyrosine kinases...
- Preventing blindness in retinal disease: ciliary neurotrophic factor intraocular implantsIan M Macdonald
National Eye Institute, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1860, USA
Can J Ophthalmol 42:399-402. 2007A recent phase I trial of an encapsulated cell therapy device that delivers ciliary neurotrophic factor has shown the potential of this approach in the treatment of retinitis pigmentosa...
- Transplanted astrocytes derived from BMP- or CNTF-treated glial-restricted precursors have opposite effects on recovery and allodynia after spinal cord injuryJeannette E Davies
Department of Neurosurgery, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Biol 7:24. 2008..This is of particular concern in the case of spinal cord injury, where recent studies have shown that transplanted neuroepithelial stem cells can generate pain syndromes...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factorAx15 alters energy homeostasis, decreases body weight, and improves metabolic control in diet-induced obese and UCP1-DTA miceSusann Bluher
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 99 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 53:2787-96. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) potently reduces appetite and body weight in rodents and humans...
- Involvement of Ath3 in CNTF-mediated differentiation of the late retinal progenitorsSumitra Bhattacharya
Department Ophthalmology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 27:32-43. 2004..Our study suggests that the influence of CNTF on the differentiation of late retinal progenitors is mediated through Ath3...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor suppresses hypothalamic AMP-kinase signaling in leptin-resistant obese miceGregory R Steinberg
St Vincent s Institute, 9 Princes Street, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Endocrinology 147:3906-14. 2006We examined the actions of a second-generation ciliary neurotrophic factor analog (CNTF(Ax15)) on AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), a known regulator of food intake...
- Signaling of human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) revisited. The interleukin-6 receptor can serve as an alpha-receptor for CTNFBjörn Schuster
Biochemisches Institut, Christian Albrechts Universitat zu Kiel, Olshausenstr 40, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:9528-35. 2003Human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a neurotrophic cytokine that exerts a neuroprotective effect in multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis...
- Chick ciliary neurotrophic factor is secreted via a nonclassical pathwayC G Reiness
Department of Biology, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon 97219, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 17:931-44. 2001..When synthesized in vitro, chick CNTF did not translocate into microsomes. We conclude that chick CNTF is secreted via a nonclassical pathway...
- Corticostriatopallidal neuroprotection by adenovirus-mediated ciliary neurotrophic factor gene transfer in a rat model of progressive striatal degenerationVincent Mittoux
Unité de Recherche Associée 2210, Commissariat a l Energie Atomique, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, 91401 Orsay Cedex, France
J Neurosci 22:4478-86. 2002b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a potent protective factor for striatal neurons in animal models of Huntington's disease (HD)...
- Association of a null mutation in the CNTF gene with early onset of multiple sclerosisRalf Giess
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 11, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Arch Neurol 59:407-9. 2002..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a potent survival factor for neurons and oligodendrocytes and may be relevant in reducing ..
- GFAP promoter drives Müller cell-specific expression in transgenic miceMilena Kuzmanovic
Department of Ophthalmology, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3606-13. 2003....
- The ciliary neurotrophic factor/leukemia inhibitory factor/gp130 receptor complex operates in the maintenance of mammalian forebrain neural stem cellsT Shimazaki
Genes and Development Research Group, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Neurosci 21:7642-53. 2001The cytokines that signal through the common receptor subunit gp130, including ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), interleukin-6, leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) and oncostatin M, have pleiotropic functions in CNS development...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor increases the survival of magnocellular vasopressin and oxytocin neurons in rat supraoptic nucleus in organotypic culturesMilan Rusnak
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Microsc Res Tech 56:101-12. 2002..Vutskits et al. [(1998) Neuroscience 87:571-582] reported that ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was a selective survival factor for rat VP-MCNs in organotypic cultures of the rat hypothalamic ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) enhances myelin formation: a novel role for CNTF and CNTF-related moleculesBruno Stankoff
Biologie des Interactions Neurones-Glie, , Paris Cedex 13, France
J Neurosci 22:9221-7. 2002..Our results demonstrate a novel role for neurotrophic factors of the CNTF family and raise the possibility that these factors might be of therapeutic interest to promote remyelination in multiple sclerosis...
- CNTF reverses obesity-induced insulin resistance by activating skeletal muscle AMPKMatthew J Watt
Cellular and Molecular Metabolism Laboratory, School of Medical Sciences, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, PO Box 71, Bundoora, 3083, Australia
Nat Med 12:541-8. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) induces weight loss and improves glucose tolerance in humans and rodents...
- Nuclear export of OLIG2 in neural stem cells is essential for ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced astrocyte differentiationTakao Setoguchi
Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, E D Adrian Building, Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
J Cell Biol 166:963-8. 2004..We propose that the AKT-stimulated export of OLIG2 from the nucleus of NSCs is essential for the astrocyte differentiation...
- The role of p75NTR in modulating neurotrophin survival effects in developing motoneuronsS Wiese
Klinische Forschergruppe Neuroregeneration, Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 11:1668-76. 1999..Survival of cultured motoneurons in the presence of 0.5 ng/mL of either ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) or glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) was not reduced by 20 ng/mL NGF...
- CNTF promotes the survival and differentiation of adult spinal cord-derived oligodendrocyte precursor cells in vitro but fails to promote remyelination in vivoJason F Talbott
MD PhD Program, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Exp Neurol 204:485-9. 2007..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a neuropoietic cytokine that promotes both survival and maturation of a variety of neuronal ..
- Bone marrow stromal cells promoting corticospinal axon growth through the release of humoral factors in organotypic cocultures in neonatal ratsNaosuke Kamei
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 6:412-9. 2007....
- Enhanced neurotrophin synthesis and molecular differentiation in non-transformed human retinal progenitor cells cultured in a rotating bioreactorRavindra Kumar
Department of Pathology, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Tissue Eng 12:141-58. 2006..of neurotrophins, basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), transforming growth factor alpha (TGFalpha), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), and brain-delivered neurotrophic factor (BDNF)...
- Involvement of Pleiotrophin in CNTF-mediated differentiation of the late retinal progenitor cellsJérôme Roger
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire de la Retine, UMR S 592 INSERM, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Dev Biol 298:527-39. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) participates in retinal development by inhibiting rod differentiation and promoting bipolar and Müller cell differentiation...
- Analysis of function and expression of the chick GPA receptor (GPAR alpha) suggests multiple roles in neuronal developmentS Heller
Max Planck Institut für Hirnforschung, Abt Neurochemie, Frankfurt M, Germany
Development 121:2681-93. 1995Growth promoting activity (GPA) is a chick growth factor with low homology to mammalian ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) (47% sequence identity with rat CNTF) but displays similar biological effects on neuronal development...
- Temporal neurotransmitter conditioning restores the functional activity of adult spinal cord neurons in long-term cultureMainak Das
NanoScience Technology Center, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32826, USA
Exp Neurol 209:171-80. 2008..Approximately 60% of the neurons treated regained their electrophysiological signature, often firing single, double and, most importantly, multiple action potentials...
- Neuroprotection in the juvenile rat model of light-induced retinopathy: evidence suggesting a role for FGF-2 and CNTFSandrine Joly
Departments of Biological Sciences, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:2311-20. 2007..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying this endogenous resistance to light-induced damage...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor protects rat retina cells in vitro and in vivo via PI3 kinaseKazuhito Ikeda
Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals Research Division, Osaka 554 0022, Japan
Curr Eye Res 29:349-55. 2004..The aim of this experiment is to investigate the signal transduction pathway of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) on the upregulation of viability of retinal primary culture and retinal protection against ..
- Progressive and selective striatal degeneration in primary neuronal cultures using lentiviral vector coding for a mutant huntingtin fragmentDiana Zala
Institute of Neurosciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, EPFL, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Neurobiol Dis 20:785-98. 2005..The present study demonstrates that viral vectors coding for mutant htt provides an advantageous system for histological and biochemical analysis of HD pathogenesis in primary striatal cultures...
- BDNF and CNTF regulate cholinergic properties of sympathetic neurons through independent mechanismsJohn D Slonimsky
Department of Biology, Volen Center for Complex Systems, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 23:648-60. 2003..In contrast, short-term growth in ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) resulted in the upregulation of cholinergic and downregulation of noradrenergic markers without ..
- Neurotrophic signaling in normal and degenerating rodent retinasK J Wahlin
Department of Ophthalmology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 9277, USA
Exp Eye Res 73:693-701. 2001..of degeneration, or in wild type animals, intravitreous injection of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor, or fibroblast growth factor-2 caused immunostaining for pERK and c-fos in cells of the inner retina, ..
- Differences in neurotrophic factor gene expression profiles between neonate and adult rat spinal cord after injuryM Nakamura
Department of Neuroscience, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Exp Neurol 169:407-15. 2001..3 (NT-3), and glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) mRNA expression and a lower level of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) mRNA expression...
- IAPs are essential for GDNF-mediated neuroprotective effects in injured motor neurons in vivoD Perrelet
Division Clinical Neuromuscular Research and Department APSIC, Faculty of Medicine, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Nat Cell Biol 4:175-9. 2002..The inhibition of XIAP or NAIP activity prevents GDNF-mediated neuroprotective effects. These results suggest that XIAP and NAIP are essential for intracellular signalling of GDNF in motor neuron survival...
- Adenoviral gene transfer of GDNF, BDNF and TGF beta 2, but not CNTF, cardiotrophin-1 or IGF1, protects injured adult motoneurons after facial nerve avulsionTsuyoshi Sakamoto
Department of Molecular Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurosci Res 72:54-64. 2003..encoding glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), cardiotrophin-1 (CT1), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1), and transforming growth factor-..
- Gene expression profiling of ciliary neurotrophic factor-overexpressing rat striatal progenitor cells (ST14A) indicates improved stress response during the early stage of differentiationTobias Böttcher
Department of Neurology, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
J Neurosci Res 73:42-53. 2003..A clonally derived, immortalized rat striatal cell line (ST14A) expressing ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) offers a stable and controlled background with which to analyze CNTF actions on the ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor as a transient negative regulator of rod development in rat retinaSteffen Schulz-Key
Institute of Anatomy I, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3099-108. 2002PURPOSE: Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to inhibit the developmental expression of rod differentiation markers in rat retinal cultures...
- Transplantation of syngeneic Schwann cells to the retina of the rhodopsin knockout (rho(-/-)) mouseDavid J Keegan
Department of Pathology, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3526-32. 2003..To determine whether subretinal Schwann cell transplantation can prolong the survival of photoreceptors in the rhodopsin knockout (rho(-/-)) mouse...
- Growth factors in combination, but not individually, rescue rd mouse photoreceptors in organ cultureJ M Ogilvie
Fay and Carl Simons Center for Biology of Hearing and Deafness, Central Institute for the Deaf, St Louis, Missouri, 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 161:676-85. 2000..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF2), glial cell line-..
- Paradoxical role of BDNF: BDNF+/- retinas are protected against light damage-mediated stressR Brooks Wilson
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:2877-86. 2007..It has been proposed that BDNF released from Müller cells provides a feed-forward loop, increasing ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) production in Müller cells, which may enhance ..
- Aminosterol MSI-1436 as a Therapeutic for ObesityMichael McLane; Fiscal Year: 2004..led to potential therapeutic agents with novel activities, such as leptin, ghrelin antagonists, and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Cytokine Regulation of Photoreceptor Gene ExpressionJohn Ash; Fiscal Year: 2009..The broad-spectrum protective activity of leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) have a clear therapeutic advantage when the genetic mutation or environmental factors are ..
- CNTF Receptors: Neuromuscular Protection/Repair In VivoAlexander MacLennan; Fiscal Year: 2007Several lines of evidence suggest that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling may promote neuromuscular protection and repair...
- CNTF Receptors: Neuromuscular Protection/Repair In VivoAlexander MacLennan; Fiscal Year: 2009Several lines of evidence suggest that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling may promote neuromuscular protection and repair...
- CYTOKINE SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN RETINAL DEVELOPMENTXian Jie Yang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed study focuses on the cytokine-signaling pathway in the mouse retina. Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a member of the cytokine superfamily, has a variety of effects on neuronal development and ..
- GENE EFFECTS ON STRENGTH RESPONSES TO AGE AND EXERCISEBernard Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..In a recent pilot study, we observed that a common polymorphism at the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) gene locus was a significant predictor of age-associated strength levels and that a common ..
- GENE DELIVERY FOR SPIRAL CORD INJURY REPAIRH Shine; Fiscal Year: 2004..Genes for neurotrophin 3 (NT-3), nerve growth factor (NGF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and glial cell line-derived growth factor (GDNF) will ..
- Endogenous CNTF receptors and adult, in vivo neurogenesisALEXANDER JOHN MACLENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Indirect data suggest, and we hypothesize, that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling inhibits the neuronal differentiation of NSP cells...
- ETHANOL AND JAK-STAT SIGNALING PATHWAYEdward Ishac; Fiscal Year: 2002..6-induced STAT activation in hematopoietic cells (BAF3/mp1 cells, platelets, U937, and AF10 cells), and ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced STAT activation in neuronal cells (NBTF neuroblastoma)...
- REGULATION OF POSTNATAL CORTICAL MULTIPOTENT PROGENITORSMARK MEHLER; Fiscal Year: 2002..promotes the expansion of oligodendrocyte progenitors that require additional environmental signals (ciliary neurotrophic factor, CNTF) for oligodendrocyte differentiation...
- ROD NEURODEGENERATIVE AND PROTECTIVE GENESBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..However brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and ciliary neurotrophic factor, the two most widely used factors, do not act on the photoreceptors directly, but indirectly through ..
- Signaling pathways directing cholinergic gene expressionBrygida Berse; Fiscal Year: 2004..stimuli, in particular by two groups of neurotrophins: the cytokines of the leukemia inhibitory factor/ciliary neurotrophic factor (LIF/CNTF) family, and nerve growth factor (NGF)...
- The Glucoregulatory and Liporegulatory Peptide HormonesRoger Unger; Fiscal Year: 2004..complications that result from fat accumulation in vital organs; 3) the relationship between leptin and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a leptin-like hormone produced in brain and other tissues, including the pancreatic islets; and ..
- Targeting CNTF to increase adult forebrain neurogenesisTheo Hagg; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have shown that endogenous and injected ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes neurogenesis in the adult mouse subventricular zone in the adult mouse forebrain (SVZ)...