Genomes and Genes
ciliary neurotrophic factor
Summary: A neurotrophic factor that promotes the survival of various neuronal cell types and may play an important role in the injury response in the nervous system.
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) for human retinal degeneration: phase I trial of CNTF delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implantsPaul A Sieving
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3896-901. 2006..In this Phase I safety trial, human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was delivered by cells transfected with the human CNTF gene and sequestered within capsules that ..
- Neuroprotective and axon growth-promoting effects following inflammatory stimulation on mature retinal ganglion cells in mice depend on ciliary neurotrophic factor and leukemia inhibitory factorMarco Leibinger
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Neurosci 29:14334-41. 2009..Here, we investigated the contribution of glial-derived ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to LI-mediated regeneration and neuroprotection using wild-type and CNTF-deficient mice...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor induces genes associated with inflammation and gliosis in the retina: a gene profiling study of flow-sorted, Müller cellsWei Xue
Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20326. 2011b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a member of the interleukin-6 cytokine family, has been implicated in the development, differentiation and survival of retinal neurons...
- AAV-mediated delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor prolongs photoreceptor survival in the rhodopsin knockout mouseF Q Liang
F. M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104, USA
Mol Ther 3:241-8. 2001..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to promote survival of a number of different neuronal cell types, including ..
- Encapsulated cell-based delivery of CNTF reduces photoreceptor degeneration in animal models of retinitis pigmentosaWeng Tao
Neurotech USA, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3292-8. 2002The objective of the present study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) delivered through encapsulated cells directly into the vitreous of the eye in an rcd1 canine model of retinitis pigmentosa...
- Central nervous system-initiated inflammation and neurotrophism in trauma: IL-1 beta is required for the production of ciliary neurotrophic factorL M Herx
Departments of Clinical Neurosciences and Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Immunol 165:2232-9. 2000..for CNS-initiated inflammation was addressed by examining the expression of the neurotrophic factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- The ciliary neurotrophic factor/leukemia inhibitory factor/gp130 receptor complex operates in the maintenance of mammalian forebrain neural stem cellsT Shimazaki
Genes and Development Research Group, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Neurosci 21:7642-53. 2001The cytokines that signal through the common receptor subunit gp130, including ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), interleukin-6, leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) and oncostatin M, have pleiotropic functions in CNS development...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced sprouting preserves motor function in a mouse model of mild spinal muscular atrophyChristian M Simon
Institute for Clinical Neurobiology, Josef Schneider Str 11, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 19:973-86. 2010..Confocal analysis reveals pronounced sprouting of innervating motor axons. As ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is highly expressed in Schwann cells, we investigated its role for a compensatory sprouting ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor protects retinal ganglion cells from axotomy-induced apoptosis via modulation of retinal glia in vivoB A van Adel
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, HSC 1R1, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Neurobiol 63:215-34. 2005Adenoviral-mediated transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) to the retina rescued retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) from axotomy-induced apoptosis, presumably via activation of the high affinity CNTF receptor alpha (CNTFRalpha) ..
- Longitudinal study of cone photoreceptors during retinal degeneration and in response to ciliary neurotrophic factor treatmentKatherine E Talcott
Department of Ophthalmology, Division of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of California at San Francisco, CA, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:2219-26. 2011To study cone photoreceptor structure and function in patients with inherited retinal degenerations treated with sustained-release ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF).
- Exogenous CNTF stimulates axon regeneration of retinal ganglion cells partially via endogenous CNTFAdrienne Müller
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Alee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:233-46. 2009..These data demonstrate that CNTF is a potent axon growth-promoting factor for mature RGCs. However, exogenously applied CNTF stimulates RGCs in vivo partially indirectly via a mechanism that depends on astrocyte-derived CNTF...
- CNTF induces regeneration of cone outer segments in a rat model of retinal degenerationYiwen Li
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9495. 2010..In the present work, we investigated cone degeneration secondary to rod loss in the S334ter-3 transgenic rats carrying the rhodopsin mutation S334ter...
- ROCK inhibition and CNTF interact on intrinsic signalling pathways and differentially regulate survival and regeneration in retinal ganglion cellsPaul Lingor
1Department of Neurology, Georg August University Gottingen, University Medicine, Waldweg 33, 37073 Gottingen, Germany
Brain 131:250-63. 2008..The interaction of intracellular signalling pathways may, however, attenuate more pronounced synergy and has to be taken into account for future treatment strategies...
- AAV-mediated expression of CNTF promotes long-term survival and regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cellsS G Leaver
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Gene Ther 13:1328-41. 2006..adeno-associated viral (AAV-2) vectors encoding enhanced green fluorescent protein (GFP) and either ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) or growth-associated protein-43 (GAP43) on adult ..
- SOCS3 deletion promotes optic nerve regeneration in vivoPatrice D Smith
F M Kirby Neurobiology Center, Children s Hospital, and Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 64:617-23. 2009..Consistently, a transient upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was observed within the retina following optic nerve injury...
- Intraocular elevation of cyclic AMP potentiates ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cell axonsQi Cui
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 22:49-61. 2003..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor increased RGC viability and axonal regrowth, the latter effect substantially enhanced by coapplication ..
- Neuroprotective effect of a CNTF-expressing lentiviral vector in the quinolinic acid rat model of Huntington's diseaseL P de Almeida
Division of Surgical Research and Gene Therapy Center, Lausanne Medical School, Switzerland
Neurobiol Dis 8:433-46. 2001..further examined with a potential therapeutic gene for the treatment of Huntington's disease, the human ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Serine phosphorylation and maximal activation of STAT3 during CNTF signaling is mediated by the rapamycin target mTORK Yokogami
Molecular Neuro Oncology, Neurosurgical Service, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02129, USA
Curr Biol 10:47-50. 2000Neuropoletic cytokines such as ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can activate multiple signaling pathways in parallel, including those involving Janus kinase (JAK)-signal transducers and activators of transcription (STATs), mitogen-..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor mediates dopamine D2 receptor-induced CNS neurogenesis in adult micePeng Yang
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center and Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
J Neurosci 28:2231-41. 2008..Degeneration of dopaminergic projections in Parkinson's disease and animals reduces, whereas ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes, neurogenesis...
- Regulation of rod phototransduction machinery by ciliary neurotrophic factorRong Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 26:13523-30. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes photoreceptor survival but also suppresses electroretinogram (ERG) responses...
- ROCK inhibition promotes adult retinal ganglion cell neurite outgrowth only in the presence of growth promoting factorsZubair Ahmed
Molecular Neuroscience Group, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Room WX2 17 Institute of Biomedical Research West, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 42:128-33. 2009..model to show that Y27632 only promotes disinhibited neurite outgrowth if RGC are co-stimulated with ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Long-distance axonal regeneration induced by CNTF gene transfer is impaired by axonal misguidance in the injured adult optic nerveVincent Pernet
Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich, and Dept of Health Sciences and Technology, ETH Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Neurobiol Dis 51:202-13. 2013..The infection of retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) with an adeno-associated virus serotype 2 - ciliary neurotrophic factor (AAV2.CNTF) was previously shown to stimulate axonal regeneration...
- Neuroprotective properties of ciliary neurotrophic factor for cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion neuronsKazunori Sango
Division of Neural Development and Regeneration, Department of Developmental Morphology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashidai, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 130:669-79. 2008We observed that recombinant ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) enhanced survival and neurite outgrowth of cultured adult rat dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons...
- Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus depends on ciliary neurotrophic factor and signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signalingStephan Müller
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Stem Cells 27:431-41. 2009..The gp130-associated cytokines ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) have been implicated in regulating NSC self-renewal and ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor corrects obesity and diabetes associated with leptin deficiency and resistanceI Gloaguen
Istituto di Ricerche di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti IRBM, Via Pontina Km 30 600, 00040 Pomezia, Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6456-61. 1997Receptor subunits for the neurocytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) share sequence similarity with the receptor for leptin, an adipocyte-derived cytokine involved in body weight homeostasis...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signals through STAT3-SOCS3 pathway and protects rat pancreatic islets from cytokine-induced apoptosisLuiz F Rezende
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Cytokine 46:65-71. 2009..These findings indicate that CNTF may be a potential therapeutic tool against Type 1 and/or Type 2 diabetes...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents degeneration of motor neurons in mouse mutant progressive motor neuronopathyM Sendtner
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Martinsried, Germany
Nature 358:502-4. 1992b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) supports the survival of embryonic motor neurons in vitro and in vivo, and prevents lesion-mediated degeneration of rat motor neurons during early post-natal stages...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for treatment of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degenerationKang Zhang
Shiley Eye Center and Institute for Genomic Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:6241-5. 2011..In a pilot, proof of concept phase 2 study, we evaluated ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) delivered via an intraocular encapsulated cell technology implant for the treatment of GA...
- Cryptic physiological trophic support of motoneurons by LIF revealed by double gene targeting of CNTF and LIFM Sendtner
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Curr Biol 6:686-94. 1996..The multifactorial support of motoneurons represents a system of high security, because the inactivation of individual ligands has either no detectable, or relatively small, atrophic or degenerative effect on motoneurons...
- Transplantation of ciliary neurotrophic factor-expressing adult oligodendrocyte precursor cells promotes remyelination and functional recovery after spinal cord injuryQilin Cao
Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
J Neurosci 30:2989-3001. 2010..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was the most effective neurotrophic factor to promote oligodendrocyte (OL) differentiation and ..
- Activation of GABA(A) receptors facilitates astroglial differentiation induced by ciliary neurotrophic factor in neural progenitors isolated from fetal rat brainMasanori Yoneyama
Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
J Neurochem 100:1667-79. 2007..facilitated the subsequent expression of an astroglial marker protein in cells differentiated by ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) toward an astroglial lineage, with a concomitant decrease in the neuronal marker protein ..
- Intraocular gene delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor results in significant loss of retinal function in normal mice and in the Prph2Rd2/Rd2 model of retinal degenerationF C Schlichtenbrede
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, UK
Gene Ther 10:523-7. 2003..The most commonly studied factor, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), has been shown to preserve retinal morphology and to promote cell survival in a variety of ..
- Upregulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor in reactive Müller cells in the rat retina following optic nerve transectionM H Chun
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Socho gu, 137 701, Seoul, South Korea
Brain Res 868:358-62. 2000We have investigated the expression and cellular localization of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in the rat retina following optic nerve transection...
- Effects of adeno-associated virus-vectored ciliary neurotrophic factor on retinal structure and function in mice with a P216L rds/peripherin mutationDean Bok
Department of Neurobiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Exp Eye Res 74:719-35. 2002Past studies have shown that acute administration of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can prolong the survival of retinal photoreceptor cells that have undergone phototoxic injury or that express gene mutations...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor and stress stimuli activate the Jak-STAT pathway in retinal neurons and gliaW M Peterson
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, New York 10591, USA
J Neurosci 20:4081-90. 2000b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is pleiotrophic for central, peripheral, and sensory neurons. In the mature retina, CNTF treatment enhances survival of retinal ganglion and photoreceptor cells exposed to otherwise lethal perturbation...
- Sortilin facilitates signaling of ciliary neurotrophic factor and related helical type 1 cytokines targeting the gp130/leukemia inhibitory factor receptor beta heterodimerJakob Vejby Larsen
MIND Center, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Mol Cell Biol 30:4175-87. 2010..Here we report that ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), and related ligands targeting the established CNTF receptor alpha, binds to sortilin with high ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor is an early lesion-induced retrograde signal for axotomized facial motoneuronsMatthias Kirsch
Institute of Anatomy, University of Freiburg, P O Box 111, D 79001 Freiburg, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 24:130-8. 2003..Other cytokines like leukemia inhibitory factor obviously become active at later time points...
- Cytokine-induced SOCS expression is inhibited by cAMP analogue: impact on regeneration in injured retinaKevin K Park
School of Anatomy and Human Biology M309, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:313-24. 2009..Survival and regeneration of RGCs is increased by intraocular injections of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and axonal regeneration is further enhanced by co-injection of a cyclic AMP analogue (CPT-cAMP)...
- Function and mechanism of CNTF/LIF signaling in retinogenesisKun Do Rhee
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 664:647-54. 2010b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) exhibit multiple biological effects in the developing vertebrate retina...
- Purification, cloning, and expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)L F Lin
Protein Chemistry Group, Synergen, Inc, Boulder, CO 80301
Science 246:1023-5. 1989b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is one of a small number of proteins with neurotrophic activities distinct from nerve growth factor (NGF)...
- Long-term protection of retinal structure but not function using RAAV.CNTF in animal models of retinitis pigmentosaF Q Liang
F. M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Ther 4:461-72. 2001..aimed to determine whether intravitreal administration of an adeno-associated virus (AAV) carrying ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can achieve long-term morphological and physiological rescue of photoreceptors in animal models ..
- Microglia-Müller glia cell interactions control neurotrophic factor production during light-induced retinal degenerationTakayuki Harada
Department of Degenerative Neurological Diseases, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Kodaira, Tokyo 187 8502
J Neurosci 22:9228-36. 2002..photoreceptor layer and alter expression of neurotrophic factors such as nerve growth factor (NGF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF)...
- Long-term lentiviral-mediated expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor in the striatum of Huntington's disease transgenic miceDiana Zala
Institute of Neuroscience, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Exp Neurol 185:26-35. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to prevent behavioral deficits and striatal degeneration in neurotoxic models of Huntington's disease (HD), but its effect in a genetic model has not been evaluated...
- Stimulation of axon regeneration in the mature optic nerve by intravitreal application of the toll-like receptor 2 agonist Pam3CysThomas G Hauk
Department of Experimental Neurology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:459-64. 2010....
- Effects of interleukin-6, leukemia inhibitory factor, and ciliary neurotrophic factor on the proliferation and differentiation of adult human myoblastsXuan Wang
Department of Physiology, Capital Medical University, Key Laboratory for Neurodegenerative Disorders of the Ministry of Education, 10 You An Men, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, P R China
Cell Mol Neurobiol 28:113-24. 2008Our previous studies have demonstrated that ciliary neurotrophic factor, a member of the interleukin-6-type cytokine superfamily, could inhibit the differentiation of myoblasts into mature myotubes at a certain concentration...
- Activation of the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signalling pathway in cortical neurons of multiple sclerosis patientsRanjan Dutta
Department of Neurosciences, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Brain 130:2566-76. 2007..67 transcripts increased in MS cortex nine were related to the signalling mediated by the neurotrophin ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Selective vulnerability and pruning of phasic motoneuron axons in motoneuron disease alleviated by CNTFSan Pun
Friedrich Miescher Institut, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Neurosci 9:408-19. 2006..It is alleviated by ciliary neurotrophic factor and triggers proteasome-dependent pruning of peripheral axon branches...
- Requirement of serine phosphorylation for formation of STAT-promoter complexesX Zhang
Brookdale Center for Molecular Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Science 267:1990-4. 1995..DNA complex formation was inversely correlated with the affinity of Stat3-Stat3 for the binding site. Thus, serine phosphorylation appears to enhance or to be required for the formation of stable Stat3-Stat3.DNA complexes...
- CNTF and LIF act on neuronal cells via shared signaling pathways that involve the IL-6 signal transducing receptor component gp130N Y Ip
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591
Cell 69:1121-32. 1992b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has a variety of actions within the nervous system...
- Nuclear factor-kappaB activation via tyrosine phosphorylation of inhibitor kappaB-alpha is crucial for ciliary neurotrophic factor-promoted neurite growth from developing neuronsDenis Gallagher
School of Biosciences, Cardiff CF10 3US, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:9664-9. 2007The cytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes the growth of neural processes from many kinds of neurons in the developing and regenerating adult nervous system, but the intracellular signaling mechanisms mediating this ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor cell-based delivery prevents synaptic impairment and improves memory in mouse models of Alzheimer's diseasePierre Garcia
JE2482 Lipidomix, Nancy Universite, Vandoeuvre, France
J Neurosci 30:7516-27. 2010..We aimed to determine whether the loco-regional delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) could prevent amyloid-beta (Abeta) oligomer-induced synaptic damages and associated cognitive ..
- The ciliary neurotrophic factor and its receptor, CNTFR alphaM W Sleeman
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, NY 10591 6707, USA
Pharm Acta Helv 74:265-72. 2000b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is expressed in glial cells within the central and peripheral nervous systems...
- Endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor is a lesion factor for axotomized motoneurons in adult miceM Sendtner
Clinical Research Unit for Neuroregeneration, Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Neurosci 17:6999-7006. 1997b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is an abundant cytosolic molecule in myelinating Schwann cells of adult rodents...
- Delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor via lentiviral-mediated transfer protects axotomized retinal ganglion cells for an extended period of timeBrian A van Adel
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, L8N 3ZS, Canada
Hum Gene Ther 14:103-15. 2003b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has recently been demonstrated to be one of the most promising neurotrophic factors to improve both the survival and regeneration of injured retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Intraocular gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor prevents death and increases responsiveness of rod photoreceptors in the retinal degeneration slow mouseM Cayouette
Laboratoire de Transfert de Gènes, Centre de Recherche Universite Laval Robert Giffard, Beauport, Quebec, Canada, G1J 2G3
J Neurosci 18:9282-93. 1998..Here, we report that intraocular adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in this mutant reduces photoreceptor loss, causes a significant increase in the length of ..
- Chronically increased ciliary neurotrophic factor and fibroblast growth factor-2 expression after spinal contusion in ratsRicha B Tripathi
Neuroscience Graduate Studies Program and Department of Neuroscience, Center for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Comp Neurol 510:129-44. 2008..Here, we examined ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) expression, because both factors alter progenitor ..
- Cellular and subcellular patterns of expression of bFGF and CNTF in the normal and light stressed adult rat retinaN Walsh
NSW Retinal Dystrophy Research Centre, Department of Anatomy and Histology, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Exp Eye Res 72:495-501. 2001..stressed rat retina of the neuroprotective factors bFGF (basic fibroblast growth factor) and CNTF (ciliary neurotrophic factor)...
- Effect of CNTF on retinal ganglion cell survival in experimental glaucomaMary Ellen Pease
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe Street, 175 Woods Research Building, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2194-200. 2009..To assess the neuroprotective effect of virally mediated overexpression of ciliary-derived neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in experimental rat glaucoma...
- CNTF negatively regulates the phototransduction machinery in rod photoreceptors: implication for light-induced photostasis plasticityRong Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 613:407-13. 2008
- Relation of weight maintenance and dietary restraint to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2, glucocorticoid receptor, and ciliary neurotrophic factor polymorphismsNeeltje Vogels
Departments of Human Biology and Methodology and Statistics, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 82:740-6. 2005Genetic variation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2 (PPARgamma2), glucocorticoid receptor (GRL), and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) genes may play a role in the etiology of obesity.
- A putative physiological role of hypothalamic CNTF in the control of energy homeostasisC M Vacher
Laboratoire de Neuroendocrinologie Moléculaire de la Prise Alimentaire, UMR 1197 INRA, Université Paris 11, Bâtiment 447, 91405 Orsay, France
FEBS Lett 582:3832-8. 2008..Thus endogenous CNTF may act, in some individuals, as a protective factor against weight gain during hypercaloric diet and could account for individual differences in the susceptibility to obesity...
- Encapsulated cell-based intraocular delivery of ciliary neurotrophic factor in normal rabbit: dose-dependent effects on ERG and retinal histologyRonald A Bush
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:2420-30. 2004ERG and histologic changes were investigated in normal rabbits after intravitreal implantation of encapsulated cell technology (ECT) devices releasing ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF).
- Selective upregulation of RB3/stathmin4 by ciliary neurotrophic factor following optic nerve axotomyToru Nakazawa
Department of Ophthalmology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Brain Res 1061:97-106. 2005..In contrast, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) administration increased the peak level of RB3 mRNA induction significantly at 3 days after ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) in combination with its soluble receptor (CNTFRalpha) increases connexin43 expression and suppresses growth of C6 glioma cellsMark A Ozog
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, N6A 5C1, Canada
Cancer Res 62:3544-8. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine whether ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) can be used to increase endogenous connexin43 levels, increase intercellular coupling, and ..
- Suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 limits protection of leukemia inhibitory factor receptor signaling against central demyelinationBen Emery
Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:7859-64. 2006..These results indicate that modulation of SOCS3 expression could facilitate the endogenous response to CNS injury...
- Neurotrophic factors in Huntington's diseaseJordi Alberch
Department of Cell Biology and Pathology, Medical School, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Casanova 143, E 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Prog Brain Res 146:195-229. 2004..Neurotrophins, glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor family members and ciliary neurotrophic factor have shown a potent neuroprotective effects on different neuronal populations of the striatum...
- Variation in the ciliary neurotrophic factor gene and muscle strength in older Caucasian womenDan E Arking
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 733 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:823-6. 2006To determine whether genetic variants in the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) gene are associated with muscle strength in older women.
- Neuroprotective gene therapy for Huntington's disease, using polymer-encapsulated cells engineered to secrete human ciliary neurotrophic factor: results of a phase I studyJ Bloch
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Hum Gene Ther 15:968-75. 2004..Proteins with neuroprotective effects in the adult brain have been identified, among them ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), which protected striatal neurons in animal models of HD...
- Topical instillation of ciliary neurotrophic factor inhibits retinal degeneration in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsYoshinori Aizu
Research and Development Center, BML, 1361 1 Matoba, Kawagoe City, Saitama 350 1101, Japan
Neuroreport 14:2067-71. 2003Intraocular injections of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) or intraocular adenovirus-mediated CNTF gene transfer have been reported to inhibit retinal alterations in inherited retinal degeneration in mice strains...
- CNTF induces dose-dependent alterations in retinal morphology in normal and rcd-1 canine retinaCaroline J Zeiss
Section of Comparative Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 375 Congress Ave, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:395-404. 2006b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) provides morphologic preservation of rods in several animal models of retinitis pigmentosa (RP)...
- Differential regulation of ciliary neurotrophic factor and its receptor in the rat hippocampus in response to kainic acid-induced excitotoxicityJeong Sun Choi
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul 137 701, Korea
Mol Cells 17:292-6. 2004We analyzed the changes in expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and its receptor, ligand-binding subunit a (CNTFRa), in the hippocampus following intraperitoneal administration of a convulsant dose of kainic acid (KA)...
- Gene expression in arcuate nucleus-median eminence of rats treated with leptin or ciliary neurotrophic factorSuresh Ambati
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 2771, USA
Biofactors 31:133-44. 2007b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leptin are cytokine-like% hormones and act on their corresponding receptors in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus (ARC)...
- Sustained striatal ciliary neurotrophic factor expression negatively affects behavior and gene expression in normal and R6/1 miceEileen M Denovan-Wright
Department of Pharmacology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Neurosci Res 86:1748-57. 2008..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been shown to protect neurons against chemically induced toxic insults in vitro and in vivo...
- Trophic responsiveness of purified postnatal and adult rat retinal ganglion cellsChi Him Eddie Ma
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 149 Building, 13th Street, Room 4309, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Cell Tissue Res 339:297-310. 2010..by long-term survival (30 days) in medium contained brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and forskolin (F) (BCF)...
- Identification and expression analysis of two fish-specific IL-6 cytokine family members, the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)-like and M17 genes, in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykissTiehui Wang
Scottish Fish Immunology Research Centre, School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, UK
Mol Immunol 46:2290-8. 2009..These results suggest a major role of the CNTF-like molecule in fish nervous and muscular systems and of M17 in the immune system...
- Effects of systemic administration of ciliary neurotrophic factor on Bax and Bcl-2 proteins in the lumbar spinal cord of neonatal rats after sciatic nerve transectionA C S Rezende
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 41:1024-8. 2008b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a cytokine that plays a neuroprotective role in relation to axotomized motoneurons. We determined the effect of daily subcutaneous doses of CNTF (1...
- IAP family proteins delay motoneuron cell death in vivoD Perrelet
Division Clinical Neuromuscular Research and Department of APSIC, Faculty of Medicine, Centre Medical Universitaire, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Eur J Neurosci 12:2059-67. 2000..The efficiency of these proteins was similar to that of two neurotrophic factors, ciliary neurotrophic factor and brain-derived neurotrophic factor, administrated by the same viral technique...
- Oligodendrogenesis of adult neural progenitors: differential effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor and mesenchymal stem cell derived factorsFrancisco J Rivera
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Neurochem 107:832-43. 2008..Here, we hypothesized that ciliary neurotrophic factor might be a candidate for this activity, since (i) it is expressed by mesenchymal stem cells and (ii) it ..
- Role of ciliary neurotrophic factor in microglial phagocytosisTsung I Lee
Department of Life Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan City, 70101, Taiwan
Neurochem Res 34:109-17. 2009..In the present study, ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), which has been reported to be produced by glia, was shown to have stimulatory effect on the ..
- Deletion of the mouse RegIIIbeta (Reg2) gene disrupts ciliary neurotrophic factor signaling and delays myelination of mouse cranial motor neuronsL A Tebar
National Centre for Cancer Research, Melchor Fernandez Almagro, 3 E 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:11400-5. 2008..is both an obligatory intermediate in the downstream signaling of the leukemia inhibitory factor/ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) family of cytokines, maintaining the integrity of motor neurons during development, as well as a ..
- [Bone marrow stromal cells transfected with ciliary neurotrophic factor gene ameliorates the symptoms and inflammation in C57BL/6 mice with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis]Zheng Qi Lu
Department of Neurology, Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510630, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 29:2355-61. 2009To investigate the anti-inflammatory effect of bone marrow stromal cells (MSCs) transfected with recombinant adenovirus-mediated ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) gene in C57BL/6 mice with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE).
- The anorexigenic cytokine ciliary neurotrophic factor stimulates POMC gene expression via receptors localized in the nucleus of arcuate neuronsOdile Couvreur
Neuroendocrinologie Moléculaire de la Prise Alimentaire, University of Paris Sud, Orsay, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E458-67. 2012b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a neural cytokine that reduces appetite and body weight when administrated to rodents or humans...
- The use of laminin modified linear ordered collagen scaffolds loaded with laminin-binding ciliary neurotrophic factor for sciatic nerve regeneration in ratsJiani Cao
Key Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Biomaterials 32:3939-48. 2011..b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) plays a critical role in peripheral nerve regeneration...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor promotes motor reinnervation of the musculocutaneous nerve in an experimental model of end-to-side neurorrhaphyPetr Dubovy
Department of Anatomy, Division of Neuroanatomy, Faculty of Medicine, and Central European Institute of Technology CEITEC, Masaryk University, Kamenice 3, CZ 625 00 Brno, Czech Republic
BMC Neurosci 12:58. 2011..to send a sprout is controversial and may be controlled by cytokines and/or neurotrophic factors like ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Regional distribution, developmental changes, and cellular localization of CNTF-mRNA and protein in the rat brainK A Stöckli
Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Department of Neurochemistry, Planegg Martinsried, Germany
J Cell Biol 115:447-59. 1991b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is a potent survival molecule for a variety of embryonic neurons in culture...
- The effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor on motor dysfunction in wobbler mouse motor neuron diseaseH Mitsumoto
Department of Neurology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH
Ann Neurol 36:142-8. 1994b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor is the first neurotrophic factor to show survival-promoting effects in developing motor neurons in vitro, in ovo, and in vivo...
- The protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP-2 negatively regulates ciliary neurotrophic factor induction of gene expressionA Symes
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Curr Biol 7:697-700. 1997b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor, along with other neuropoietic cytokines, signals through the shared receptor subunit gp130 [1-3], leading to the tyrosine phosphorylation of a number of substrates [4,5], including the transcription factors ..
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor, cardiotrophin-like cytokine, and neuropoietin share a conserved binding site on the ciliary neurotrophic factor receptor alpha chainFrancois Rousseau
Unité Mixte INSERM 564, Bâtiment Montéclair, 4 rue Larrey, 49033 Angers Cedex 01, France
J Biol Chem 283:30341-50. 2008b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor, cardiotrophin-like cytokine, and neuropoietin are members of the four-helix bundle cytokine family...
- Endogenous and exogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor enhances forebrain neurogenesis in adult miceJ G Emsley
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Exp Neurol 183:298-310. 2003..The receptor for ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), CNTFRalpha, is expressed in the adult subventricular zone...
- Differential response of neuronal cells to a fusion protein of ciliary neurotrophic factor/soluble CNTF-receptor and leukemia inhibitory factorPia März
Department of Physiology, University of Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 269:3023-31. 2002b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) displays neurotrophic activities on motor neurons and neural cell populations both in vivo and in vitro...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor and its receptors are differentially expressed in the optic nerve transected adult rat retinaVimal Sarup
Department of Ophthalmology and Cell Biology and Anatomy, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Brain Res 1013:152-8. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been implicated in the survival and regeneration of adult rat retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- The regulation and activation of ciliary neurotrophic factor signaling proteins in adipocytesSanjin Zvonic
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 70803, USA
J Biol Chem 278:2228-35. 2003b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is primarily known for its roles as a lesion factor released by the ruptured glial cells that prevent neuronal degeneration...
- Molecular cloning, expression and regional distribution of rat ciliary neurotrophic factorK A Stöckli
Department of Neurochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Planegg Martinsried, FRG
Nature 342:920-3. 1989b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) was originally characterized as a survival factor for chick ciliary neurons in vitro...
- A bidirectional regulation between the TR2/TR4 orphan receptors (TR2/TR4) and the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) signaling pathwayW J Young
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Pathology, Urology, and Biochemistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 273:20877-85. 1998..that the nuclear orphan receptor TR4 could induce transcriptional activity via the 5th intron of the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) alpha receptor gene (CNTFR-I5)...
- Continuous exposure to bright light upregulates bFGF and CNTF expression in the rat retinaR Wen
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Curr Eye Res 17:494-500. 1998..To examine mRNA expression of neurotrophic factors in the retina after exposure to bright light...
- Ciliary neurotrophic factor: a survival and differentiation inducer in human retinal progenitorsKamla Dutt
Department of Pathology, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive, S W, Atlanta, GA 30310 1495, USA
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 46:635-46. 2010..One of the neurotrophins with promise is the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Location of CNTFRalpha on outer segments: evidence of the site of action of CNTF in rat retinaKrisztina Valter
CNS Stability and Degeneration Group, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Brain Res 985:169-75. 2003b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is an important factor in the retina's mechanisms of self-protection. It is generated by retinal glial cells in response to stress, and has a significant protective effect on retinal neurones...
- The effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor on neurological function and glial activity following contusive spinal cord injury in the ratsJunli Ye
Department of Neurobiology, Second Military Medical University, 800 Xiangyin Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Brain Res 997:30-9. 2004b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) has been implicated in the pathophysiology of injury to the central nervous system...
- Dedifferentiation of adult human myoblasts induced by ciliary neurotrophic factor in vitroXiaoping Chen
Department of Neurophysiology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Beijing 100850, China
Mol Biol Cell 16:3140-51. 2005b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) is primarily known for its important cellular effects within the nervous system. However, recent studies indicate that its receptor can be highly expressed in denervated skeletal muscle...
- CNTF genotype is associated with muscular strength and quality in humans across the adult age spanS M Roth
Department of Kinesiology, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, Maryland, USA
J Appl Physiol 90:1205-10. 2001The relationship between ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) genotype and muscle strength was examined in 494 healthy men and women across the entire adult age span (20-90 yr)...
- Intravitreal injection of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) causes peripheral remodeling and does not prevent photoreceptor loss in canine RPGR mutant retinaWilliam A Beltran
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Exp Eye Res 84:753-71. 2007b>Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) rescues photoreceptors in several animal models of retinal degeneration and is currently being evaluated as a potential treatment for retinitis pigmentosa in humans...
- Aminosterol MSI-1436 as a Therapeutic for ObesityMichael McLane; Fiscal Year: 2004..led to potential therapeutic agents with novel activities, such as leptin, ghrelin antagonists, and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF)...
- Cytokine Regulation of Photoreceptor Gene ExpressionJohn Ash; Fiscal Year: 2009..The broad-spectrum protective activity of leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) have a clear therapeutic advantage when the genetic mutation or environmental factors are ..
- CNTF Receptors: Neuromuscular Protection/Repair In VivoAlexander MacLennan; Fiscal Year: 2007Several lines of evidence suggest that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling may promote neuromuscular protection and repair...
- CNTF Receptors: Neuromuscular Protection/Repair In VivoAlexander MacLennan; Fiscal Year: 2009Several lines of evidence suggest that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling may promote neuromuscular protection and repair...
- CYTOKINE SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN RETINAL DEVELOPMENTXian Jie Yang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed study focuses on the cytokine-signaling pathway in the mouse retina. Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a member of the cytokine superfamily, has a variety of effects on neuronal development and ..
- GENE EFFECTS ON STRENGTH RESPONSES TO AGE AND EXERCISEBernard Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..In a recent pilot study, we observed that a common polymorphism at the ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) gene locus was a significant predictor of age-associated strength levels and that a common ..
- GENE DELIVERY FOR SPIRAL CORD INJURY REPAIRH Shine; Fiscal Year: 2004..Genes for neurotrophin 3 (NT-3), nerve growth factor (NGF), ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and glial cell line-derived growth factor (GDNF) will ..
- REGULATION OF POSTNATAL CORTICAL MULTIPOTENT PROGENITORSMARK MEHLER; Fiscal Year: 2002..promotes the expansion of oligodendrocyte progenitors that require additional environmental signals (ciliary neurotrophic factor, CNTF) for oligodendrocyte differentiation...
- Endogenous CNTF receptors and adult, in vivo neurogenesisALEXANDER JOHN MACLENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Indirect data suggest, and we hypothesize, that endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) receptor signaling inhibits the neuronal differentiation of NSP cells...
- ETHANOL AND JAK-STAT SIGNALING PATHWAYEdward Ishac; Fiscal Year: 2002..6-induced STAT activation in hematopoietic cells (BAF3/mp1 cells, platelets, U937, and AF10 cells), and ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced STAT activation in neuronal cells (NBTF neuroblastoma)...
- ROD NEURODEGENERATIVE AND PROTECTIVE GENESBaerbel Rohrer; Fiscal Year: 2005..However brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and ciliary neurotrophic factor, the two most widely used factors, do not act on the photoreceptors directly, but indirectly through ..
- Signaling pathways directing cholinergic gene expressionBrygida Berse; Fiscal Year: 2004..stimuli, in particular by two groups of neurotrophins: the cytokines of the leukemia inhibitory factor/ciliary neurotrophic factor (LIF/CNTF) family, and nerve growth factor (NGF)...
- The Glucoregulatory and Liporegulatory Peptide HormonesRoger Unger; Fiscal Year: 2004..complications that result from fat accumulation in vital organs; 3) the relationship between leptin and ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), a leptin-like hormone produced in brain and other tissues, including the pancreatic islets; and ..
- Targeting CNTF to increase adult forebrain neurogenesisTheo Hagg; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have shown that endogenous and injected ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) promotes neurogenesis in the adult mouse subventricular zone in the adult mouse forebrain (SVZ)...