Genomes and Genes
vitamin b complex
Summary: A group of water-soluble vitamins, some of which are COENZYMES.
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- B-vitamin status and concentrations of homocysteine in Austrian omnivores, vegetarians and vegansD Majchrzak
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ann Nutr Metab 50:485-91. 2006..However, a vegetarian diet may be deficient in some nutrients. Exclusion of animal products in vegetarian diets may affect the status of certain B-vitamins, and further cause the rise of plasma homocysteine concentration...
- Effects of lowering homocysteine levels with B vitamins on cardiovascular disease, cancer, and cause-specific mortality: Meta-analysis of 8 randomized trials involving 37 485 individualsRobert Clarke
University of Oxford, England
Arch Intern Med 170:1622-31. 2010..Dietary supplementation with folic acid to lower homocysteine levels had no significant effects within 5 years on cardiovascular events or on overall cancer or mortality in the populations studied...
- Reduction in neural-tube defects after folic acid fortification in CanadaPhilippe De Wals
Laval University, Quebec, Canada
N Engl J Med 357:135-42. 2007..We assessed changes in the prevalence of neural-tube defects in Canada before and after food fortification with folic acid was implemented...
- Mortality and cardiovascular events in patients treated with homocysteine-lowering B vitamins after coronary angiography: a randomized controlled trialMarta Ebbing
Department of Heart Disease, Haukeland University Hospital, Jonas Liesvei 65, 5021 Bergen, Norway
JAMA 300:795-804. 2008..Observational studies have reported associations between circulating total homocysteine concentration and risk of cardiovascular disease. Oral administration of folic acid and vitamin B(12) can lower plasma total homocysteine levels...
- Cancer incidence and mortality after treatment with folic acid and vitamin B12Marta Ebbing
Department of Heart Disease, Haukeland University Hospital, Jonas Liesvei 65, Bergen, Norway 5021
JAMA 302:2119-26. 2009..Recently, concern has been raised about the safety of folic acid, particularly in relation to cancer risk...
- Folic acid supplements in pregnancy and severe language delay in childrenChristine Roth
Division of Mental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404, Nydalen, 0403 Oslo, Norway
JAMA 306:1566-73. 2011..Prenatal folic acid supplements reduce the risk of neural tube defects and may have beneficial effects on other aspects of neurodevelopment...
- Riboflavin (vitamin B-2) and healthHilary J Powers
Centre for Human Nutrition, The University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 77:1352-60. 2003..Riboflavin deficiency may exert some of its effects by reducing the metabolism of other B vitamins, notably folate and vitamin B-6...
- Folic acid food fortification-its history, effect, concerns, and future directionsKrista S Crider
The Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
Nutrients 3:370-84. 2011..This review highlights the history, effect, concerns, and future directions of folic acid food fortification programs...
- Efficacy of folic acid supplementation in stroke prevention: a meta-analysisXiaobin Wang
Mary Ann and J Milburn Smith Child Health Research Program, Children s Memorial Hospital and Children s Memorial Research Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614 3394, USA
Lancet 369:1876-82. 2007..Our aim was to do a meta-analysis of relevant randomised trials to assess the efficacy of folic acid supplementation in the prevention of stroke...
- Dietary intake of selected B vitamins in relation to risk of major cancers in womenG C Kabat
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, NY 10461, USA
Br J Cancer 99:816-21. 2008..There was no evidence of effect modification among the nutrients. This large study provides little support for an association of dietary intake thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, or methionine with five major cancers in women...
- Effect modification by population dietary folate on the association between MTHFR genotype, homocysteine, and stroke risk: a meta-analysis of genetic studies and randomised trialsMichael V Holmes
Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Lancet 378:584-94. 2011..We aimed to reduce the effect of small-study bias and investigate whether folate status modifies the association between MTHFR 677C→T and stroke in a genetic analysis and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials...
- Effects of high-dose B vitamin complex with vitamin C and minerals on subjective mood and performance in healthy malesDavid O Kennedy
Brain, Performance and Nutrition Research Centre, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 211:55-68. 2010..Few studies have assessed the relationship between supplementation with vitamins/minerals and psychological functioning in healthy cohorts of non-elderly adults...
- Effect of homocysteine-lowering B vitamin treatment on angiographic progression of coronary artery disease: a Western Norway B Vitamin Intervention Trial (WENBIT) substudyKjetil H Løland
Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Am J Cardiol 105:1577-84. 2010..In conclusion, vitamin B treatment showed no beneficial effect on the angiographic progression of coronary artery disease, and the post hoc analyses suggested that folic acid/vitamin B(12) treatment might promote more rapid progression...
- Combined analyses and extended follow-up of two randomized controlled homocysteine-lowering B-vitamin trialsM Ebbing
Department of Heart Disease, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
J Intern Med 268:367-82. 2010....
- Protective effect of periconceptional folic acid supplements on the risk of congenital heart defects: a registry-based case-control study in the northern NetherlandsIngrid M van Beynum
Children s Heart Centre, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, Nijmegen 6500 HB, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 31:464-71. 2010..To investigate the potentially protective of periconceptional folic acid use on the risk of congenital heart defects (CHDs) relative to other non-folate related malformations...
- Effect of folic acid and B vitamins on risk of cardiovascular events and total mortality among women at high risk for cardiovascular disease: a randomized trialChristine M Albert
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 900 Commonwealth Ave E, Boston, Massachusetts 02215 1204, USA
JAMA 299:2027-36. 2008..Observational data suggest benefits may be greater among women, yet women have been underrepresented in published randomized trials...
- Preventing Alzheimer's disease-related gray matter atrophy by B-vitamin treatmentGwenaelle Douaud
Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain FMRIB Centre, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:9523-8. 2013..Further B-vitamin supplementation trials focusing on elderly subjets with high homocysteine levels are warranted to see if progression to dementia can be prevented...
- Serum B vitamin levels and risk of lung cancerMattias Johansson
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
JAMA 303:2377-85. 2010..B vitamins and factors related to 1-carbon metabolism help to maintain DNA integrity and regulate gene expression and may affect cancer risk...
- Homocysteine-lowering and cardiovascular disease outcomes in kidney transplant recipients: primary results from the Folic Acid for Vascular Outcome Reduction in Transplantation trialAndrew G Bostom
Rhode Island Hospital, 110 Lockwood Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Circulation 123:1763-70. 2011..Observational studies of patients with chronic kidney disease suggest increased homocysteine is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The impact of lowering total homocysteine levels in kidney transplant recipients is unknown...
- Folic acid to reduce neonatal mortality from neural tube disordersHannah Blencowe
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:i110-21. 2010..The burden of NTDs in low-income countries and the effectiveness of folic acid fortification/supplementation are unclear...
- Vitamins and perinatal outcomes among HIV-negative women in TanzaniaWafaie W Fawzi
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1423-31. 2007..Prematurity and low birth weight are associated with high perinatal and infant mortality, especially in developing countries. Maternal micronutrient deficiencies may contribute to these adverse outcomes...
- Homocysteine, B-vitamins and CVDHelene McNulty
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 67:232-7. 2008..About 10% of the UK and Irish populations have the TT genotype. In the present paper the potential role of folate and related B-vitamins in the primary prevention of CVD and the implications for nutrition policy are explored...
- Effect of combined folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 on cancer risk in women: a randomized trialShumin M Zhang
Division of Preventive Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
JAMA 300:2012-21. 2008..Folate, vitamin B(6), and vitamin B(12) are thought to play an important role in cancer prevention...
- Vitamin B12 and the risk of neural tube defects in a folic-acid-fortified populationJoel G Ray
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Epidemiology 18:362-6. 2007..Prior studies used relatively insensitive measures of B(12), did not adjust for folate levels, and were conducted in countries without folic acid food fortification. In Canada, flour has been fortified with folic acid since mid-1997...
- Effect of B-vitamin therapy on progression of diabetic nephropathy: a randomized controlled trialAndrew A House
Division of Nephrology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 303:1603-9. 2010..Hyperhomocysteinemia is frequently observed in patients with diabetic nephropathy. B-vitamin therapy (folic acid, vitamin B(6), and vitamin B(12)) has been shown to lower the plasma concentration of homocysteine...
- Homocysteine and vascular disease: review of published results of the homocysteine-lowering trialsRobert Clarke
Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit, University of Oxford, Richard Doll Building, Oxford, UK
J Inherit Metab Dis 34:83-91. 2011..However, available evidence does not support the routine use of B vitamins to prevent cardiovascular disease...
- Effect of vitamin B12 deficiency on neurodevelopment in infants: current knowledge and possible mechanismsDaphna K Dror
Department of Nutrition at the University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
Nutr Rev 66:250-5. 2008....
- B vitamins and the risk of total mortality and cardiovascular disease in end-stage renal disease: results of a randomized controlled trialJudith Heinz
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, Magdeburg University Hospital, Magdeburg, Germany
Circulation 121:1432-8. 2010..We conducted a randomized clinical trial with B vitamins to reduce homocysteine levels and therefore cardiovascular events and total mortality...
- Plasma B vitamins and their relation to the severity of chronic heart failureMarkus Herrmann
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 85:117-23. 2007..Total homocysteine (tHcy) has been linked to the severity of chronic heart failure (CHF). Elevated tHcy concentrations are mainly caused by folate and vitamin B-12 deficiencies...
- Folate and vitamin B6 rapidly normalize endothelial dysfunction in children with type 1 diabetes mellitusKaren E MacKenzie
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Children, Youth, and Women s Health Service, Adelaide, Australia
Pediatrics 118:242-53. 2006..Endothelial dysfunction, a precursor of vascular disease, begins early in type 1 diabetes mellitus and is associated with folate status...
- Frequent consumption of milk, yogurt, cold breakfast cereals, peppers, and cruciferous vegetables and intakes of dietary folate and riboflavin but not vitamins B-12 and B-6 are inversely associated with serum total homocysteine concentrations in the US poVijay Ganji
Department of Clinical Nutrition, College of Health Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 80:1500-7. 2004..Elevated circulating total homocysteine (tHcy) is an independent risk factor for vascular diseases...
- Nutritional and genetic determinants of vitamin B and homocysteine metabolisms in neural tube defects: a multicenter case-control studyMirande Candito
INSERM U 145, Department of Biochemistry, CHU Nice Hôpital Pasteur, Nice, France
Am J Med Genet A 146:1128-33. 2008..Genetic polymorphisms played only a small role. Until folic acid fortification becomes mandatory, all women of reproductive age should consume folic acid in a multivitamin that also contains B12 and B6...
- Folic acid and orofacial clefts: a review of the evidenceG L Wehby
Department of Health Management and Policy, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Oral Dis 16:11-9. 2010..The role of folic acid in the prevention of neural tube defects is also briefly summarized and discussed as a reference model for orofacial clefts...
- Economic burden of neural tube defects and impact of prevention with folic acid: a literature reviewYunni Yi
Mapi Values, Bollington, Cheshire SK10 5JB, UK
Eur J Pediatr 170:1391-400. 2011..Further intervention with folic acid is justified in countries where the full potential of folic acid to reduce the risk of NTDs has not been realized...
- Dietary intake of B vitamins and methionine and risk of lung cancerJ K Bassett
Cancer Epidemiology Centre, Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton South, Victoria, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 66:182-7. 2012..Disruption of one-carbon mechanism may affect cancer risk. We investigated prospectively the relationship between dietary intakes of methionine, B vitamins associated with one-carbon metabolism and risk of lung cancer...
- Thiamine prevents obesity and obesity-associated metabolic disorders in OLETF ratsTakao Tanaka
Laboratory of Pharmacotherapy, Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Takatsuki, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 56:335-46. 2010..Cardiac and renal functions were preserved in thiamine treatment. Thiamine has a potential to prevent obesity and metabolic disorders in OLETF rats...
- Folic acid effects on s-adenosylmethionine, s-adenosylhomocysteine, and DNA methylation in patients with intermediate hyperhomocysteinemiaFrancesca Pizzolo
Department of Medicine, University of Verona School of Medicine, Verona, Italy
J Am Coll Nutr 30:11-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of FA supplementation on AdoMet, AdoHcy, and genomic DNA methylation in hyperhomocysteinemic subjects without end-stage renal disease...
- [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate increases plasma folate more effectively than folic acid in women with the homozygous or wild-type 677C-->T polymorphism of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductaseR Prinz-Langenohl
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Human Nutrition II, Pathophysiology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 158:2014-21. 2009..The metabolism of [6S]-5-MTHF and FA was evaluated by measuring plasma folate derivatives...
- Association between B vitamin intake and plasma homocysteine concentration in the general Dutch population aged 20-65 yA de Bree
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, the Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Bilthoven, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 73:1027-33. 2001..An elevated plasma total homocysteine (tHcy) concentration is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases. Folate, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, and vitamin B-12 are essential in homocysteine metabolism...
- B-group vitamin supplementation mitigates oxidative damage after acute ischaemic strokeRajesh Ullegaddi
Sheffield Institute for Nutritional Studies on Ageing, The University of Sheffield, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 107:477-84. 2004..05). In conclusion, B-group vitamin supplementation immediately post-infarct may have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects in stroke disease independent of a homocysteine-lowering effect...
- Folic acid therapy reduces plasma homocysteine levels and improves plasma antioxidant capacity in hemodialysis patientsVinicius Daher Alvares Delfino
Nephrology Section, Department of Internal Medicine, State University of Londrina, Londrina, Brazil
Nutrition 23:242-7. 2007..We evaluated the effects of folic acid on homocysteine levels and oxidative stress in 46 stable patients on hemodialysis...
- Roles of vitamins B5, B8, B9, B12 and molybdenum cofactor at cellular and organismal levelsFabrice Rebeille
Laboratoire de Physiologie Cellulaire Végétale, UMR5168, Université Joseph Fourier CNRS CEA INRA, Institut de Recherche en Technologies et Sciences du Vivant, CEA Grenoble, Grenoble, Cedex 9, France
Nat Prod Rep 24:949-62. 2007..In the second part we will present some nutritional aspects and potential strategies to enhance the cofactor contents in organisms of interest...
- Preconceptional folate supplementation and the risk of spontaneous preterm birth: a cohort studyRadek Bukowski
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Med 6:e1000061. 2009..Low plasma folate concentrations in pregnancy are associated with preterm birth. Here we show an association between preconceptional folate supplementation and the risk of spontaneous preterm birth...
- [Infant coma in the emergency department: 2 cases of MCAD deficiency]M Hoflack
Service de Pediatrie, hôpital de l Archet II, 151 route de Saint Antoine de Ginestiere, Nice Cedex 3, France
Arch Pediatr 17:1074-7. 2010..We report the cases of 2 patients whose presentation was typical and severe. Early diagnosis of MCAD deficiency helped to start a simple treatment in both patients aimed at preventing further decompensation...
- [Update of clinical findings in cobalamin deficiency: personal data and review of the literature]L Federici
Service de Medecine Interne, diabète et maladies métaboliques, clinique médicale B, Hopital Civil, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 1, Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Med Interne 28:225-31. 2007..PROSPECTS AND PROJECTS: Future studies will confirm these data with the routine use of the new cobalamin assay: holotranscobalamin and validate the usefulness of oral cobalamin therapy...
- Relationship between dietary folate intakes, maternal plasma total homocysteine and B-vitamins during pregnancy and fetal growth in JapanHidemi Takimoto
Dept of Health Promotion and Research, National Institute of Public Health, 2 3 6 minami, Wako, Saitama, 351 0197, Japan
Eur J Nutr 46:300-6. 2007..Adequate folate status in pregnancy is important for satisfactory pregnancy outcome...
- B-vitamins and fatty acids in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease and dementia: a systematic reviewAlan D Dangour
Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
J Alzheimers Dis 22:205-24. 2010..In summary, the available evidence is insufficient to draw definitive conclusions on the association of B vitamins and fatty acids with cognitive decline or dementia, and further long-term trials are required...
- Community mobilization and social marketing to promote weekly iron-folic acid supplementation in women of reproductive age in Vietnam: impact on anemia and iron statusJacques Berger
Institute of Research for Development IRD, Research Unit, Nutrition, Food, Societies, Montpellier, France
Nutr Rev 63:S95-108. 2005..This demonstrates the effectiveness and safety of the preventive approach as implemented here to prevent and control iron deficiency and anemia in women of reproductive age before and during pregnancy...
- Folate, related B vitamins, and homocysteine in childhood and adolescence: potential implications for disease risk in later lifeMaeve A Kerr
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland
Pediatrics 123:627-35. 2009....
- Asymmetric dimethylarginine and the effect of folate substitution in children with familial hypercholesterolemia and diabetes mellitus type 1P Jehlicka
Department of Pediatrics, Charles University in Prague, Plzen, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 58:179-84. 2009..In conclusion, ADMA and oxLDL appear to be associated with endothelial dysfunction in children with FH. Administration of folic acid did not influence these markers in both FH and DM1 children...
- Thiamine-responsive megaloblastic anemia: identification of novel compound heterozygotes and mutation updateAnke K Bergmann
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr 155:888-892.e1. 2009..249270), a recessive disorder of thiamine transporter Slc19A2...
- Effect of maternal multiple micronutrient supplementation on fetal loss and infant death in Indonesia: a double-blind cluster-randomised trialA H Shankar
Helen Keller International, Jakarta, Indonesia Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Lancet 371:215-27. 2008..We assessed the effect of maternal supplementation with MMN, compared with IFA, on fetal loss and infant death in the setting of routine prenatal care services...
- Homocysteine-lowering vitamin B treatment decreases cardiovascular events in hemodialysis patientsMarco Righetti
Nephrology and Dialysis Unit, Vimercate Hospital, Vimercate, Italy
Blood Purif 24:379-86. 2006..We planned a long-term study to analyze the effects of homocysteine-lowering vitamin B therapy on cardiovascular disease in hemodialysis patients...
- B vitamins, cognition, and aging: a reviewE Calvaresi
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Division of Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, South Australia
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 56:P327-39. 2001..Important considerations for future research include the use of placebo-controlled intervention studies, sensitive outcome measures of cognitive performance, and exploration of bioavailability and dose-response relationships...
- Folate, vitamin B12 and postmenopausal breast cancer in a prospective study of French womenMartin Lajous
INSERM, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, ERI 20, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, F 94805, Villejuif Cedex, France
Cancer Causes Control 17:1209-13. 2006..We sought to evaluate folate intake in relation to breast cancer risk and examine whether the relation is affected by alcohol and intake of vitamin B(2) and B(12)...
- Patterns and predictors of folic acid supplement use among pregnant women: the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort StudyRoy M Nilsen
Section for Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care and Environmental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1134-41. 2006..Patterns and predictors of maternal folic acid supplement use have not been examined in large prospective studies of pregnant women...
- Possible association of folic acid supplementation during pregnancy with reduction of preterm birth: a population-based studyA E Czeizel
Foundation for the Community Control of Hereditary Diseases, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 148:135-40. 2010..Thus the possible fetal growth promoting and/or preterm birth reducing effect of vitamin supplements in the second and mainly in the third trimester was studied...
- Shmt1 and de novo thymidylate biosynthesis underlie folate-responsive neural tube defects in miceAnna E Beaudin
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 93:789-98. 2011....
- Plasma B vitamins, homocysteine, and their relation with bone loss and hip fracture in elderly men and womenRobert R McLean
Institute for Aging Research, Hebrew SeniorLife, 1200 Centre Street, Boston, MA 02131, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2206-12. 2008..Elevated homocysteine is a strong risk factor for osteoporotic fractures among elders, yet it may be a marker for low B-vitamin status...
- Weekly iron as a safe alternative to daily supplementation for nonanemic pregnant womenEsther Casanueva
Instituto Nacional de Perinatología Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes INPer, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 37:674-82. 2006..We undertook this study to compare the effectiveness and safety of antenatal daily and weekly supplementation with iron, folic acid, and vitamin B(12) in healthy, pregnant women who were not anemic at gestational week 20...
- Folic acid and risk of prostate cancer: results from a randomized clinical trialJane C Figueiredo
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:432-5. 2009..These findings highlight the potential complex role of folate in prostate cancer and the possibly different effects of folic acid-containing supplements vs natural sources of folate...
- Effect of increased vegetable and fruit consumption on plasma folate and homocysteine concentrationsRik P Bogers
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Nutrition 23:97-102. 2007..We assessed the effects of an intervention aimed at increasing the consumption of fruits and vegetables on plasma folate and homocysteine concentrations...
- Effect of folic acid, with or without other B vitamins, on cognitive decline: meta-analysis of randomized trialsDavid S Wald
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Am J Med 123:522-527.e2. 2010..We aimed to quantify the effect of folic acid supplementation on the prevention of cognitive decline...
- Homocysteine concentration, related B vitamins, and betaine in pregnant women recruited to the Seychelles Child Development StudyJulie Mw Wallace
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 87:391-7. 2008..Both folate and betaine are important predictors of total homocysteine (tHcy) during pregnancy. However, studies to date have only been undertaken in populations with Western dietary patterns...
- Thiamine-responsive megaloblastic anemia: early diagnosis may be effective in preventing deafnessHasan Onal
Department of Pediatrics, Bakirköy Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 51:301-4. 2009..3...
- Chronic niacin overload may be involved in the increased prevalence of obesity in US childrenDa Li
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Medical College, Dalian University, Dalian 116622, Liaoning Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:2378-87. 2010..To investigate nicotinamide's action on glucose metabolism, and the association between niacin consumption and obesity prevalence...
- Efficacy of B vitamins in lowering homocysteine in older men: maximal effects for those with B12 deficiency and hyperhomocysteinemiaLeon Flicker
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Stroke 37:547-9. 2006..Previous studies, largely in younger individuals, have shown that B vitamins lowered tHcy by substantial amounts and that this effect is greater in people with higher tHcy and lower folate levels...
- Thiamine-responsive megaloblastic anemia syndrome: long term follow-upCaterina Borgna-Pignatti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine Pediatrics, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Pediatr 155:295-7. 2009..We describe a 20-year follow-up of 2 previously reported patients and of 1 patient diagnosed before onset of symptoms and treated with thiamine since the first sign of disease...
- Dietary intake of folate, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, genetic polymorphism of related enzymes, and risk of breast cancer: a case-control study in JapanEnbo Ma
National Cancer Center, Tokyo, Japan
Nutr Cancer 61:447-56. 2009..We conclude that dietary intake of folate and related B vitamins and genotypes of MTHFR or MTR have no overall association with breast cancer risk in Japanese women...
- Consideration of betaine and one-carbon sources of N5-methyltetrahydrofolate for use in homocystinuria and neural tube defectsNorlin J Benevenga
Department of Animal Sciences and Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:946-9. 2007....
- Characterization of folate uptake by choroid plexus epithelial cells in a rat primary culture modelJan B Wollack
Department of Pediatrics, Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
J Neurochem 104:1494-503. 2008..This is consistent with the role we have proposed for proton-coupled folate transporter in FRalpha-mediated transport as the mechanism of export of folates from the endocytic compartment containing FRalpha...
- Correlation between plasma total homocysteine and copper in patients with peripheral vascular diseaseM A Mansoor
Division of Clinical Chemistry, Central Hospital in Rogaland, 4003 Stavanger, Norway
Clin Chem 46:385-91. 2000..Correlations between plasma total homocysteine, trace elements, and vitamins in patients with peripheral vascular disease have not been investigated...
- The effect of 90 day administration of a high dose vitamin B-complex on work stressCon Stough
Centre for Human Psychopharmacology, Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
Hum Psychopharmacol 26:470-6. 2011..The present study examined for the first time the efficacy of 3 months administration of two forms of high dose vitamin B complex on mood and psychological strain associated with chronic work stress.
- The role of B vitamins in the management of heart failureParastoo Azizi-Namini
Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nutr Clin Pract 27:363-74. 2012..Therefore, there is a need for larger, more robust trials to assist in defining the B vitamin requirements as well as the impact of supplementation on both morbidity and mortality in patients with HF...
- Nicotinamide treatment reduces behavioral impairments and provides cortical protection after fluid percussion injury in the ratMichael R Hoane
Restorative Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USA
J Neurotrauma 23:1535-48. 2006..This data suggests that nicotinamide has substantial preclinical efficacy for TBI, and there appears to be some differences in the ability of the doses to improve performance in the MWM...
- Evidence for the use of intramuscular injections in outpatient practiceMark Shatsky
Providence Medical Group, Portland, Oregon, USA
Am Fam Physician 79:297-300. 2009..For other indications, the intramuscular route should be considered only when the delivery of a medication must be confirmed, such as when a patient cannot tolerate an oral medication, or when compliance is uncertain...
- Bioconversion of isoflavone glycosides to aglycones, mineral bioavailability and vitamin B complex in fermented soymilk by probiotic bacteria and yeastC R Rekha
Food Microbiology Department, Central Food Technological Research Institute, CSIR, Mysore, India
J Appl Microbiol 109:1198-208. 2010To study the role of β-glucosidase producing probiotic bacteria and yeast in the biotransformation of isoflavone glycosides to aglycones, mineral bioavailability and vitamin B complex in fermented soymilk.
- Oral cobalamin remains medicine's best kept secretIan D Graham
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Room 2 008, Administrative Services Building, 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1Y 4E9
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 44:49-59. 2007..Strategies to promote the use of oral cobalamin should be directed at educating physicians of its efficacy and providing them with prescribing information on where it can be purchased...
- B-vitamins reduce the long-term risk of depression after stroke: The VITATOPS-DEP trialOsvaldo P Almeida
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Perth, WA, Australia
Ann Neurol 68:503-10. 2010..The purpose of this research was to determine if treatment with B-vitamins reduces the hazard of poststroke depression compared with placebo...
- Antiplatelet therapy and the effects of B vitamins in patients with previous stroke or transient ischaemic attack: a post-hoc subanalysis of VITATOPS, a randomised, placebo-controlled trialGraeme J Hankey
Department of Neurology, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, WA, Australia
Lancet Neurol 11:512-20. 2012....
- Folic acid supplementation and spontaneous preterm birth: adding grist to the mill?Leonie Callaway
School of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
PLoS Med 6:e1000077. 2009
- Nicotinamide protects against ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing mouse brainAlessandro Ieraci
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
PLoS Med 3:e101. 2006..The present study was aimed at determining whether nicotinamide may prevent ethanol-induced neurodegeneration...
- Maternal dietary B vitamin intake, other than folate, and the association with orofacial cleft in the offspringIngrid P C Krapels
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Nutr 43:7-14. 2004..Periconceptional folic acid supplementation is suggested to prevent orofacial clefts (OFCs). Other B vitamins however may be beneficial as well...
- Treatment of alcoholic polyneuropathy with vitamin B complex: a randomised controlled trialT J Peters
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Kings College, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Alcohol Alcohol 41:636-42. 2006..To evaluate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of BEFACT Forte 'new formulation' and BEFACT Forte 'old formulation' in the treatment of sensory symptoms of alcoholic polyneuropathy...
- [Periconceptional folates and the prevention of orofacial clefts: role of dietary intakes in France]F Rouget
INSERM U625 Groupe d Etude de la Reproduction chez l Homme et les Mammiferes GERHM, Universite Rennes I, IFR 140, Campus de Beaulieu, 35042 Rennes
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 53:351-60. 2005..The role of folic acid, or folates, in the prevention of orofacial clefts is still debated although its efficacy has been demonstrated for the prevention of neural tube defects...
- Computerized counseling for folate knowledge and use: a randomized controlled trialEleanor Bimla Schwarz
Center for Research on Health Care Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:568-71. 2008..This study evaluated whether computer-assisted counseling and the provision of free folate tablets increases women's knowledge and use of folate supplements...
- Predictive value of folate, vitamin B12 and homocysteine levels in late-life depressionJae Min Kim
Department of Psychiatry and Depression Clinical Research Centre, Chonnam National University Medical School, Kwangju, Republic of Korea
Br J Psychiatry 192:268-74. 2008..The role of folate, vitamin B(12) and homocysteine levels in depression is not clear...
- Folic acid supplementation delays atherosclerotic lesion development in apoE-deficient miceRicardo Carnicer
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Celular, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Life Sci 80:638-43. 2007..The administration of folic acid decreased atherosclerotic lesions independently of plasma homocysteine and cholesterol levels, but was associated with plasma levels of apolipoproteins A-I, A-IV and B, and decreased oxidative stress...
- Vitamin A and vitamin B-12 concentrations in relation to mortality and morbidity among children born to HIV-infected womenAnirban Chatterjee
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Trop Pediatr 56:27-35. 2010..Higher vitamin A concentrations in plasma are protective against mortality in children born to HIV-infected women...
- A novel mutation in the SLC19A2 gene in a Turkish female with thiamine-responsive megaloblastic anemia syndromeEdiz Yesilkaya
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Gazi University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Trop Pediatr 55:265-7. 2009....
- The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C-->T polymorphism as a modulator of a B vitamin network with major effects on homocysteine metabolismSteinar Hustad
The Hormone Laboratory, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Am J Hum Genet 80:846-55. 2007..Individuals with the TT genotype were particularly sensitive to the status of several B vitamins and might be candidates for personalized nutritional recommendations...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the safety and efficacy of vitamin B complex in the treatment of nocturnal leg cramps in elderly patients with hypertensionP Chan
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Taipei Medical College, Taipei Wan Fang Hospital, No 111, Hsin Lung Road, Section 3, Wen Shan, Taipei, Taiwan 117
J Clin Pharmacol 38:1151-4. 1998..This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted to evaluate the safety and efficacy of vitamin B complex capsules (fursulthiamine 50 mg, hydroxocobalamin 250 micrograms, pyridoxal phosphate 30 mg, and riboflavin 5 ..
- Studies of biomarker responses to intervention with vitamin B-12: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsLeane Hoey
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1981S-1996S. 2009..Furthermore, different biomarkers of vitamin B-12 status have not been systematically reviewed...
- Homocysteine-lowering therapy and stroke risk, severity, and disability: additional findings from the HOPE 2 trialGustavo Saposnik
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 40:1365-72. 2009..Our aim was to determine whether vitamin therapy reduces the risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, as well as stroke-related disability...
- Neural tube defects and maternal folate intake among pregnancies conceived after folic acid fortification in the United StatesBridget S Mosley
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Arkansas Children s Hospital Research Institute, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:9-17. 2009..Further investigation is warranted to possibly identify women who remain at increased risk of preventable neural tube defects...
- Effect of homocysteine lowering on mortality and vascular disease in advanced chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease: a randomized controlled trialRex L Jamison
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care Systems and Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94304, USA
JAMA 298:1163-70. 2007..Folic acid and B vitamins decrease homocysteine levels in this population but whether they lower mortality is unknown...
- Effect of folic acid supplementation on risk of cardiovascular diseases: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsLydia A Bazzano
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112 2715, USA
JAMA 296:2720-6. 2006..Epidemiologic studies have suggested that folate intake decreases risk of cardiovascular diseases. However, the results of randomized controlled trials on dietary supplementation with folic acid to date have been inconsistent...
- Folic acid improves vascular reactivity in humans: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsAngelika de Bree
Unilever Research and Development, Unilever Food and Health Research Institute, Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 86:610-7. 2007..The effect of folic acid on endothelial function, a prognostic factor for cardiovascular diseases, is not well established. We calculated this effect in a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials in humans...
- Association between folate, vitamin B(6) and vitamin B(12) intake and depression in the SUN cohort studyA Sanchez-Villegas
School of Health Sciences, Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Spain
J Hum Nutr Diet 22:122-33. 2009..The present study aimed to assess the association between folate, vitamins B(6) and B(12) intake and depresion prevalence in the SUN cohort study...
- Folic acid and risk of twinning: a systematic review of the recent literature, July 1994 to July 2006Evelyne E Muggli
Public Health Genetics, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 186:243-8. 2007....
- Supplementation with iron and riboflavin enhances dark adaptation response to vitamin A-fortified rice in iron-deficient, pregnant, nightblind Nepali womenJoanne M Graham
Program in International Nutrition, Department of Nutritional Biology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1375-84. 2007..Iron and riboflavin affect vitamin A utilization and photoreceptor function, respectively, and pilot data in the study population showed a high prevalence of iron and riboflavin deficiencies...
- Prognostic Significance of DNA and Histone MethylationChandrika Piyathilake; Fiscal Year: 2007..Investigator talent, equipment, facilities and access to study subjects at UAB are ideal for conducting this study. ..
- Prognostic Significance of Altered DNA MethylationChandrika Piyathilake; Fiscal Year: 2002..A newly developed and tested immunohistochemical technique, which measures the degree of global methylation in intact and specific types of cells, will be used to evaluate global DNA methylation in the proposed study. ..
- HPV Clearance by Folic Acid SupplementationChandrika J Piyathilake; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because this study will be conducted among women positive for HPV 16, the most prevalent and powerful causative agent of CC, the public health significance of this study could be enormous and will complement HPV vaccine studies. ..
- Effects of Folate Fortification on Cancer Prevention an*Chandrika Piyathilake; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DELAYING MITOCHONDRIAL DECAY WITH CARNITINE AND LIPOATEBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Role of 10-formyldihydrofolate in purine biosynthesisTsunenobu Tamura; Fiscal Year: 2004..If this pathway is proven, derivatives of 10-HCO-H2folate could be used to inhibit de novo purine biosynthesis for developing new anticancer drugs. ..
- QUANTITATIVE METALLOPROTEOMICS: THE HUMAN ERYTHROCYTEBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Mitochondrial Nutrients Protect RPE from Oxidant DamageBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2006..This in vitro analysis of mitochondrial nutrients may provide the basis for the development of therapeutic agents that can prevent and/or reduce the retinal and RPE pathophysiology observed in AMD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diethanolamine, brain development and adult memorySteven Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- A Pilot Trial of Oral Melatonin Supplementation in Breast Cancer SurvivorsEva Schernhammer; Fiscal Year: 2007..This pilot data could lay the groundwork for a large scale trial to assess the chemopreventive potential of melatonin in women, both with and without a personal history of breast cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Partnership on Nutrition and HIV/AIDS Research in Tanza*Wafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2006..The program will be carried out as a collaborative effort between Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania and the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA. ..
- Metalloproteome of the Aging Rat Brain MitochondriaBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, this work has significant potential to integrate numerous aspects of mitochondrial metabolism and physiology and reveal novel opportunities for combating aging-related decline. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Light at Night on Circadian System in NursesEva Schernhammer; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Trial of Vitamins in HIV Progression and TransmissionWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study is a collaborative effort between Harvard School of Public Health and Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. ..
- Pilot Study of Huperzine A in Alzheimer's DiseasePaul Aisen; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MALDI-TOF MASS SPECTROMETERBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of Statins on Pathobiology of Alzheimer's DiseaseCynthia Carlsson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Cognitive testing will also be repeated at the 3-month follow-up. Outcome measures at 9 months will be compared to baseline. Results will be analyzed by apolipoprotein E4 status. ..
- NUTRITION, IMMUNOLOGY, AND EPIDEMIOLOGY OF TBWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DO HIGH DOSE B VITAMINS DELAY AGE-RELATED DECAYBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Clock Genes, Night Work, and Breast Cancer RiskEva Schernhammer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results from this study could help identify individuals who are more susceptible to night work than others, based on their genetic profile. ..
- Nutritional Influences on Aresenic ToxicityMary Gamble; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Vitamins, Breast Milk HIV Shedding and Child HealthEduardo Villamor; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV PREVENTION TRIALS UNITWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2004..S., the commitment of the authorities in Tanzania to HIV research, and the political stability in Tanzania, would make this collaboration a valuable addition to the HPTN. ..
- Tuning-Up Human MetabolismBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005..Previous results showed that high doses of key mitochondrial metabolites delay mitochondrial decay and involve Km. 4) Minimizing DNA damage and cancer by optimizing micronutrient levels, particularly in the elderly. ..
- NUTRITIONAL BIOCHEMISTRY AND EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CANCERSteven Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are requesting two postdoctoral and six predoctoral trainee positions each year for this purpose. ..
- Aspartame Intake and the Risk of CancerEva Schernhammer; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our results may help decision-makers formulate guidelines and direct future aspartame studies. Even a null finding would be important in this context. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mitochondrial Metabiolites to Treat Parkinson's DiseaseBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005..This project on PD is a new direction for our work on preventing mitochondrial decay and could lead to an effective and cost efficient prevention /therapy for PD. ..
- Effect of Statins on Pathobiology of Alzheimer's DiseaseCynthia Carlsson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Cognitive testing will also be repeated at the 3-month follow-up. Outcome measures at 9 months will be compared to baseline. Results will be analyzed by apolipoprotein E4 status. ..
- Trial of Vitamins among Children of HIV-infected MothersWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will be carried out as a collaborative effort between the Harvard School of Public Health and Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. ..
- A TRAIL OF MICRONUTRIENTS AND ADVERSE PREGNACY OUTCOMESWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2003..To examine potential mechanisms of action of the supplements or dietary patterns and intake of individual nutrients, they will assess the following secondary outcomes among women: hemoglobin levels, T cell counts, and placental weight. ..
- Metabolic Biomarkers of Autism: Predictive Potential and Genetic SusceptibilitySANDRA JILL JAMES; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Comparative Effectiveness Study for Bipolar DisorderAndrew A Nierenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..The two treatments will be the second generation antipsychotic mood stabilizer quetiapine and the classic mood stabilizer lithium. In addition to quetiapine or lithium, participants can be treated with other medications as needed. ..
- Perinatal Risk of Asthma in Infants of Asthmatic MothersMichael Bracken; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of pregnancy and neonatal risk factors for infant asthma may offer opportunities for early prevention. ..
- Epidemiology of the Metabolic Syndrome in ChildrenXiaobin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, this large twin cohort will better clarifv the eenetic versus environmental influences on the develooment of MS and its markers. ..
- Antenatal and preschool iron and zinc use and cognitionParul Christian; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Folate, DNA Methylation and Breast TumorigenesisJoshua Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Case-Control Study of Adenoma in Sao Paulo JapaneseLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutritional and Genetic Markers of Breast CancerShumin Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Ethnic/Racial Minorities in the Colon CFRLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanism/regulation of human intestinal thiamin uptakeHAMID SAID; Fiscal Year: 2008..This should ultimately assist us in the designing of effective strategies to optimize thiamin body homeostasis in conditions associated with thiamin deficiency and sub-optimal levels. ..
- Studies of Human Folate HydrolaseCharles Halsted; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- High fat feeding and intramyocellular lipid abnormalityZengKui Guo; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, the proposed research will improve the understanding of the mechanism of insulin resistance and imcTG abnormalities in the obese rat that will benefit investigation of human obesity. ..
- PS-341 in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Phase II TrialJordan Berlin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- FOUR-CORNERS BREAST AND ENDOMETRIAL CANCER STUDYMaria Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2003..C-peptide, glycosylated hemoglobin, IGF-1, and IGFBP3 will be evaluated with respect to breast and endometrial cancer in a subset of women. ..
- FOLATE-RESPONSIVE DYSGENESISASOK ANTONY; Fiscal Year: 2004..Also they will evaluate the effect of down-regulation of FR expression by antisense oligonucleotides to both the cis and the trans elements. ..
- Vitamin B12 Status of Elderly AmericansMARTHA MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2003..The third aim is to evaluate the usefulness of a serum vitamin B12 cut-off point of 258 pmol/L, either as the sole indicator of vitamin B12 deficiency in the elderly, or in conjunction with anemia or an elevated metabolite level. ..
- POLYMORPHISMS IN PG/COX PATHWAY AND COLORECTAL POLYPSCornelia Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, we plan to develop a model for integrating information on genetic variability at multiple points in this metabolic pathway. ..
- MODIFIABLE RISK FACTORS FOR SUDDEN DEATH IN MEN/WOMENChristine Albert; Fiscal Year: 2002..At the end of the proposed research program, Dr. Albert will have attained advanced epidemiologic skills which can then be applied to independent research in her chosen subspecialty of electrophysiology. ..
- TRIGGERS OF VENTRICULAR ARRHYTHMIAS (TOVA) STUDYChristine Albert; Fiscal Year: 2002..Characterization of triggering of ICD discharge will provide insights valuable for prevention of sudden death due to primary arrhythmias in the general population. ..
- GENE-ENVIRONMENT INTERACTION AND COLON CARCINOGENESISJia Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- New CVD risk factors for lowered congitive functioningMerrill Elias; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PATERNAL EXPOSURE AND SPORADIC BILATERAL RETINOBLASTOMAGreta Bunin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Sporadic heritable RBL is a childhood cancer worth studying in its own right and an ideal model for the investigation of new germline mutation. ..
- Diet, Hormone Replacement Therapy and Breast CancerShumin Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings from this project could have direct clinical application for efforts to reduce risk of breast cancer. ..
- A Phase II Trial of ACAPHA in Former Smokers with IEN.Stephen Lam; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will also provide new information on the use of novel biomarkers as surrogate endpoints for assessing the effect of chemoprevention. ..
- Diet, Genetic Susceptibility and Colorectal NeoplasiaLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2006..Genotyping for random markers will permit to exclude residual confounding by ethnicity. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS EXPLOITING FOLATE RECEPTORSASOK ANTONY; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Exogenous Stressors and Birth Defects RisksSuzan Carmichael; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research will enhance scientific understanding of the causes of several common, costly, often deadly birth defects, which will undoubtedly have important implications for their risk assessment and prevention. ..
- Measurement of folate in fortified cereal grain productsJacob Selhub; Fiscal Year: 2003..In order to assess the impact of folic acid fortification, it is necessary to have valid data on the actual synthetic folic acid content of fortified foods. ..
- C elegans:a model to study intestinal water-soluble vitamins transport in vivoHAMID SAID; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The TGFbeta Pathway, Gene Variants and Colorectal Neopl*Loic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PKC AND ISCHEMIC PRECONDITIONING OF MUSCLEClaudio Maldonado; Fiscal Year: 2002..The findings of this project will provide new information regarding the mechanisms of ischemic PC and important knowledge regarding the pathogenesis of ischemia in skeletal muscle. (End of Abstract) ..
- MACROPHAGE EXPRESSION OF APOAI AND ATHEROSCLEROSISSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies have the potential to uncover the basis for the therapeutic effect of HDL on the arterial plaque. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ventricular Size and Valve Calcification Measures by CTMatthew J Budoff; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Determinants of Sudden Cardiac DeathChristine Albert; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings generated will have substantial implications for our understanding of the SCD syndrome and risk stratification in the general population. ..
- Society for Pediatric & Perinatal Epidemiologic ResearchAnna Maria Siega Riz; Fiscal Year: 2006....