Genomes and Genes
Summary: A 21-amino acid peptide that circulates in the plasma, but its source is not known. Endothelin-3 has been found in high concentrations in the brain and may regulate important functions in neurons and astrocytes, such as proliferation and development. It also is found throughout the gastrointestinal tract and in the lung and kidney. (N Eng J Med 1995;333(6):356-63)
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- A heterozygous endothelin 3 mutation in Waardenburg-Hirschsprung disease: is there a dosage effect of EDN3/EDNRB gene mutations on neurocristopathy phenotypes?V Pingault
J Med Genet 38:205-9. 2001
- Contribution of RET, NTRK3 and EDN3 to the expression of Hirschsprung disease in a multiplex familyA Sánchez-Mejías
Unidad de Gestión Clínica de Genética, Reproducción y Medicina Fetal, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Seville, Spain
J Med Genet 46:862-4. 2009..Although HSCR commonly appears as a sporadic trait, approximately 20% of HSCR cases are familial, with complex patterns of inheritance...
- Maintenance of mammalian enteric nervous system progenitors by SOX10 and endothelin 3 signallingNadege Bondurand
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 133:2075-86. 2006The transcriptional regulator SOX10 and the signalling molecule endothelin 3 have important roles in the development of the mammalian enteric nervous system (ENS)...
- Endothelin 3 induces the reversion of melanocytes to glia through a neural crest-derived glial-melanocytic progenitorE Dupin
Institut d Embryologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique FRE 2160, 49 bis Avenue Belle Gabrielle, 94736 Nogent sur Marne Cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:7882-7. 2000Functional signaling of endothelin 3 (ET3) and its receptor B (ETRB) has been shown to be required for the development of neural crest (NC)-derived pigment cells in mouse, but the precise role of ET3 is not completely understood...
- The endothelin axis: a novel target for pharmacotherapy of female malignanciesMartin Smollich
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Munster, D 48145 Münster, Germany
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 5:239-48. 2007..Targeting the ET axis via ET(A)R or ECE blockade seems to be a promising approach in the treatment of female malignancies...
- Endothelins may modulate invasion and proliferation of Ewing's sarcoma and neuroblastomaPaul Berry
Division of Cancer Medicine, Cancer Research U K Clinical Centre, St James s University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, U K
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:322S-326S. 2002..The ET-3 ligand and ET-B receptor may be associated with migration and metastasis of ES and NBL, whereas ET-1 (acting through the ET-A receptor) may regulate their proliferation...
- Endothelin-3 growth factor levels decreased in cervical cancer compared with normal cervical epithelial cellsDe Jun Sun
Gene Therapy Program, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Hum Pathol 38:1047-56. 2007..These results suggest that the reduction of ET-3 growth factor levels may be important in the transition from normal to cancerous cervical epithelium...
- Endothelin 3 induces skin pigmentation in a keratin-driven inducible mouse modelRoman J Garcia
Department of Biological Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, Florida 33199, USA
J Invest Dermatol 128:131-42. 2008b>Endothelin 3 (Edn3) encodes a ligand important to developing neural crest cells and is allelic to the spontaneous mouse mutation occurring at the lethal spotting (ls) locus...
- Expression of endothelin 3 by mesenchymal cells of embryonic mouse caecumM A Leibl
Department of Human Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Liverpool, Ashton Street, Liverpool L69 3GE, UK
Gut 44:246-52. 1999Mutations in endothelin 3 (EDN3) and endothelin B receptor (EDNRB) genes cause terminal colonic aganglionosis in mice, and mutations in these genes have also been linked to the terminal aganglionosis seen in human Hirschsprung's disease...
- Cooperative and indispensable roles of endothelin 3 and KIT signalings in melanocyte developmentHitomi Aoki
Department of Tissue and Organ Development, Regeneration and Advanced Medical Science, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Dev Dyn 233:407-17. 2005..During the 21-day period necessary for the induction of mature melanocytes from undifferentiated ES cells, endothelin 3 (EDN3), a ligand for EDNRB, increased the number of melanocytes in proportion to the period during which it was ..
- Endothelins stimulate deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis and cell proliferation in rat adrenal zona glomerulosa, acting through an endothelin A receptor coupled with protein kinase C- and tyrosine kinase-dependent signaling pathwaysG Mazzocchi
Department of Anatomy, University of Padua, Italy
Endocrinology 138:2333-7. 1997....
- Effects of endothelin B receptor agonists on amyloid beta protein (25-35)-induced neuronal cell deathTatsurou Yagami
Discovery Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Co, Ltd, 12 4 Sagisu 5 chome, Fukushima ku, Osaka 553 0002, Japan
Brain Res 948:72-81. 2002..In conclusion, ET(B) receptor agonists exhibit a protective effect against neurotoxicity of Abeta. Furthermore, these agonists appear to act as anti-apoptotic factors by blocking of L-VSCCs...
- Modulatory effect of endothelin-1 and -3 on neuronal norepinephrine release in the rat posterior hypothalamusAndrea S di Nunzio
Cátedra de Fisiología Instituto de Química y Metabolismo del Fármaco Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956 Piso 7, 1113, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Regul Pept 118:51-9. 2004..Both ETs would enhance the sympathoexcitatory response elicited by the posterior hypothalamus and thus participate in cardiovascular regulation...
- Endothelin-1 increases calcium and attenuates renin gene expression in As4.1 cellsMichael J Ryan
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York at Buffalo, 14214, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283:H2458-65. 2002..With the use of a renin-luciferase reporter system in As4.1 cells, ET-1 reduced luciferase activity by 51%, suggesting that renin gene transcription is directly modified by ET-1...
- Regulation of vasopressin secretion by ETA and ETB receptors in compartmentalized rat hypothalamo-neurohypophysial explantsNoreen F Rossi
Deptartments of Medicine and Physiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 4160 John R 908, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E535-41. 2004..The integration of these excitatory and inhibitory inputs endows the vasopressinergic system with greater plasticity in its response to physiological and pathophysiological states...
- [Endothelin---biosynthesis, function and role in cardiovascular diseases]Daniel Piotr Potaczek
II Katedra Chorób Wewnetrznych Collegium Medicum Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego w Krakowie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 108:703-14. 2002
- Possible therapeutic role of endothelin antagonists in cardiovascular diseaseC Venkata S Ram
Texas Blood Pressure Institute, Dallas Nephrology Associates, and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75240, USA
Am J Ther 10:396-400. 2003..Preliminary experimental and clinical studies reveal a role played by endothelin as a pathogenetic substance and, conversely, a possible role for endothelin antagonism in clinical medicine...
- Multiple roles for endothelin in melanocyte development: regulation of progenitor number and stimulation of differentiationK Reid
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Development 122:3911-9. 1996Melanocytes in the skin are derived from the embryonic neural crest. Recently, mutations in endothelin 3 and the endothelin receptor B genes have been shown to result in gross pigment defects, indicating that this signalling pathway is ..
- Regulation of endothelin-converting enzyme 1 in nephrotic syndrome in ratsMika Ikebe
Department of Nephrology, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto, Japan
Nephron Exp Nephrol 94:e137-45. 2003..Although endothelin (ET) 1 can cause natriuresis or antinatriuresis, the role played by ET-1 in proteinuria and in sodium retention due to nephrotic syndrome remains unclear...
- Unique endothelin receptor binding in kidneys of ETB receptor deficient ratsTraci A Taylor
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R674-81. 2003..In addition, homozygous ETB-deficient rats express a novel inner medullary ET-3 binding site...
- Binding of a new bioactive 31-amino-acid endothelin-1 to an endothelin ET(B) or ET(B)-like receptor in porcine lungsHiroko Kitamura
Division of Enzyme Chemistry, Institute for Enzyme Research, The University of Tokushima, Kuramoto cho 3 18 15, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 465:31-8. 2003..This unique quasi-irreversibility may explain the slow-onset and long-lasting biologic effects of this peptide in vivo...
- Inhibition of in vitro enteric neuronal development by endothelin-3: mediation by endothelin B receptorsJ J Wu
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Development 126:1161-73. 1999....
- Endothelin and neural crest developmentH Kurihara
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 45:639-51. 1999....
- Endothelin-induced modulation of neuropeptide Y and norepinephrine release from the rat mesenteric bedDan Hoang
Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Missouri 63104, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283:H1523-30. 2002..These results are consistent with the idea that sympathetic cotransmitters can be preferentially modulated by paracrine mediators at the vascular neuroeffector junction...
- The neurogenic vasodilator response to endothelin-1: a study in human skin in vivoR Katugampola
Allergy and Inflammation Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, UK
Exp Physiol 85:839-46. 2000..There appears to be little evidence for the involvement of mast cell-derived histamine in the initiation or modulation of ET-induced vasodilatation, in vivo...
- Use of A-192621 to provide evidence for involvement of endothelin ET(B)-receptors in endothelin-1-mediated cardiomyocyte hypertrophyJ P Cullen
Department of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, Centre for Cardiovascular and Genetics Research, School of Medicine, The Queen's University of Belfast, Whitla Medical Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Northern Ireland, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 417:157-68. 2001....
- EDNRB/EDN3 and Hirschsprung disease type IIA S McCallion
Johns Hopkins University, McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Pigment Cell Res 14:161-9. 2001..Mutations in the genes encoding the endothelin type-B receptor (EDNRB) and its physiological ligand endothelin 3 (EDN3) are now known to account for the majority of HSCR II patients...
- Regulation of agonist binding to rat ET(B) receptors by cations and GTPgammaSF Ceccarelli
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pisa, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 62:537-45. 2001..In the presence of 5 mM MgCl2 or 50 mM NaCl, a partial regulation of 125I-ET-1 binding by GTPgammaS was detectable, while in the absence of cations no GTPgammaS-dependent inhibition was evident...
- Endocardial expression and functional characterization of endothelin-1O Saetrum Opgaard
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Mol Cell Biochem 224:151-8. 2001....
- Naftidrofuryl exerts antiserotonergic but no endothelin-receptor blocking effects in AS4.1 cells, juxtaglomerular cells and isolated perfused rat kidneysDierk Endemann
Department of Medicine II, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 39:1-8. 2002..The present results suggest that naftidrofuryl is a potent antagonist of serotonin's renal effects, but has no endothelin receptor-blocking properties...
- Evidence for altered ETB receptor characteristics during development and progression of ventricular cardiomyocyte hypertrophyGraham R Lee
Department of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, Centre for Cardiovascular and Genetics Research, School of Medicine, Queen s University of Belfast, Whitla Medical Bldg, 97 Lisburn Rd, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H425-32. 2004....
- Endothelins regulate mediator production of rat tissue-cultured mucosal mast cells. Up-regulation of Th1 and inhibition of Th2 cytokinesMartin Coulombe
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, Universite Laval, 2725 Chemin Sainte Foy, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G5
J Leukoc Biol 71:829-36. 2002..Thus, our data suggest that ETs may play an important role in modulating the cytokine network by regulating Th1/Th2 cytokine production by mast cells...
- Functional coupling of G proteins to endothelin receptors is ligand and receptor subtype specificZ Shraga-Levine
Department of Neurobiochemistry, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Cell Mol Neurobiol 20:305-17. 2000..4. It remains to be established whether this diversity of receptor-G protein coupling is of relevance for the various endothelin signaling pathways and/or pathological states...
- Functional cross-talk of Ca2+-mobilizing endothelin receptors in C6 glioma cellsR Malik
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
Physiol Res 51:73-8. 2002..The pattern and/or functional parameters of endothelin receptors in C6 rat glioma cells are modified by cell differentiation...
- Endothelin-mediated calcium signaling in preglomerular smooth muscle cellsA C Schroeder
Louisiana State University, School of Medicine, New Orleans 70112, USA
Hypertension 35:280-6. 2000..Furthermore, these results suggest that ET-1 increases [Ca(2+)](i) by stimulating both the release of intracellular calcium and the influx of calcium from the extracellular medium...
- Effects of a selective endothelin A receptor antagonist, ABT-627, in healthy normotensive anaesthetized rats developing acute pulmonary air embolismBilal Ayach
Laval Hospital Research Center, Quebec Heart and Lung Institute, Department of Medicine, Laval University, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Ste Foy, QC G1V 4G5, Canada
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:371S-375S. 2002..These results show that ET(A)-R subtype is involved in the pathogenesis of APAE since a blockade of this receptor subtype attenuated the cardiopulmonary deterioration and improved blood gas exchanges in rats with this disease...
- Effect of castration on endothelin receptorsRobert J Padley
Pharmaceutical Products Division, Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064, U S A
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:442S-445S. 2002....
- Endothelins induce Fos expression in neurons and glia in organotypic cultures of rat cerebellumA M Sullivan
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, England
J Neurochem 67:1409-18. 1996..It appears likely that ETs play an important neuromodulatory role in the cerebellum...
- Differential inhibition by TAK-044 of the inotropic effects of endothelin-1 and endothelin-3Shin Ichi Yomogida
Department of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2 2 2 Iida nishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 492:217-24. 2004....
- Endothelin 1 and 3 enhance neuronal nitric oxide synthase activity through ETB receptors involving multiple signaling pathways in the rat anterior hypothalamusMaría S Jaureguiberry
Catedra de Fisiologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Peptides 25:1133-8. 2004..Our results showed that both ET-1 and ET-3 modulate neuronal NOS activity through the ETB receptor in the rat anterior hypothalamus involving the participation of the PLC-PKC/IP3 pathway as well as PKA and CaMK-II...
- The effect of castration on endothelins, their receptors and endothelin converting enzyme in rat prostateWataru Takahashi
Section of Urology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 366:166-76. 2002..These results suggest the existence of a region/lobe-specific regulatory role for testosterone in the expression of the ET receptor system in the rat prostate...
- Involvement of nitric oxide pathways in short term modulation of tyrosine hydroxylase activity by endothelins 1 and 3 in the rat anterior hypothalamusCarolina Morgazo
Cátedra de Fisiología e Instituto de Química y Metabolismo del Fármaco IQUIMEFA CONICET, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 334:796-802. 2005..Taken jointly present and previous results it can be concluded that both ETs play an important role as modulators of norepinephrine neurotransmission in the rat AHR...
- Endothelin-1 induces CXCL1 and CXCL8 secretion in human melanoma cellsCatherine R Mangahas
The Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Invest Dermatol 125:307-11. 2005..This study demonstrates that ET-1 additionally induces secretion of CXC chemokines critical for melanoma metastasis and tumor progression...
- Transient expression of endothelins in the amoeboid microglial cells in the developing rat brainChun Yun Wu
Department of Anatomy, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Glia 54:513-25. 2006..The present novel finding has added microglia as a new cellular source of ET that may take part in multiple functions including regulating vascular constriction and chemokines release...
- A direct effect of aldosterone on endothelin-1 gene expression in vivoStephen Wong
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Endocrinology 148:1511-7. 2007..5-fold after 1 h in the kidney and colon, respectively. These results suggest that ET-1 is a direct aldosterone gene target in the kidney and colon and may play an important role in aldosterone-regulated ion homeostasis...
- Short-term regulation of tyrosine hydroxylase activity and expression by endothelin-1 and endothelin-3 in the rat posterior hypothalamusGuadalupe Perfume
Catedra de Fisiologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Regul Pept 142:69-77. 2007..Taken jointly present and previous results support that ET-1 and ET-3 may play a relevant role in the modulation of catecholaminergic neurotransmission in the posterior hypothalamus of the rat...
- Endothelin-2 in ovarian follicle ruptureChemyong Ko
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, 40536, USA
Endocrinology 147:1770-9. 2006..As a target tissue of EDN2 action, we identified a layer of smooth muscle cells in the follicular wall of each follicle. Taken together, our data indicate that EDN2 induces follicular rupture by constricting periovulatory follicles...
- Long-term modulation of tyrosine hydroxylase activity and expression by endothelin-1 and -3 in the rat anterior and posterior hypothalamusGuadalupe Perfume
Catedra de Fisiologia, Instituto de Química y Metabolismo del Fármaco, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientifica y Técnicas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R905-14. 2008..Present and previous studies may partially explain the cardiovascular effects produced by ETs when applied to the brain...
- Endothelin (ET)-1 and ET-3 promote expression of c-fos and c-jun in human choriocarcinoma via ET(B) receptor-mediated G(i)- and G(q)-pathways and MAP kinase activationA Rauh
Center of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Br J Pharmacol 154:13-24. 2008..Choriocarcinoma cells display many of the biochemical and morphological characteristics of in utero invasive trophoblast cells and may therefore be used as a suitable model to study epithelial tumour progression of foetal-derived cells...
- Endothelin 1 versus endothelin 3 in the development of the slow force response to myocardial stretchMaría N Ros
Residencia de Cardiología, Hospital Italiano de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina
Can J Cardiol 21:435-8. 2005..The SFR results from an autocrine/paracrine mechanism of angiotensin II and endothelin (ET) release that is triggered by the stretch...
- Synergistic stimulation of aldosterone production in human adrenocortical carcinoma NCI-H295R cells by endothelin-1 and angiotensin IIChii Whei Hu
Cardiovascular Diseases Research, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, East Hanover, New Jersey 07936 1080, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S289-92. 2004..These results suggest that ET-1 and Ang II stimulated aldosterone secretion synergistically in NCIH295R cells and that the effect of ET-1 was mediated via the ETA receptor subtype...
- Chronic endothelin exposure inhibits connexin43 expression in cultured cortical astrogliaJoanna Rozyczka
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Medical Faculty, Leipzig, Germany
J Neurosci Res 79:303-9. 2005..We suggest that the observed ET-dependent inhibition of Cx43 expression and the resulting decline of GJIC might represent a major pathway by which ETs regulate astrocytic gene expression in the injured brain...
- Endothelium-restricted overexpression of human endothelin-1 causes vascular remodeling and endothelial dysfunctionFarhad Amiri
Experimental Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Circulation 110:2233-40. 2004..To directly test the role of endothelium-derived ET-1 in cardiovascular pathophysiology, we specifically targeted expression of the human preproET-1 gene to the endothelium by using the Tie-2 promoter in C57BL/6 mice...
- Endothelin ETB receptor signaling in the median eminence and subfornical organ of the rat brainMaria del Rosario Garrido
School of Pharmacy, Laboratory of Neuropeptides, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado Postal 50176, Sabana Grande 1050A, Caracas, Venezuela
Neuropeptides 38:304-10. 2004..These results support the concept that endothelin could play a role in the regulation of brain functions...
- Endothelin receptors in lower esophageal sphincter circular smooth muscleShih Che Huang
Department of Internal Medicine, Tzu Chi General Hospital and Tzu Chi University, 707, Section 3, Chung Yang Road, Hualien 970, Taiwan
Regul Pept 127:27-35. 2005..These results demonstrate that the guinea-pig lower esophageal sphincter possesses ETA receptors mediating relaxation and ETB receptors mediating contraction...
- Age-related changes in the properties of the endothelin receptor system at protein and mRNA levels in the rat vas deferensMakoto Yono
Section of Urology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 24:53-66. 2004..These results demonstrate the presence of age-related changes in the properties of the ET receptor system at both protein and mRNA levels in the rat vas deferens...
- Endothelin upregulates the expression of vasopressin V2 mRNA in the inner medullary collecting duct of the ratMarc Sonntag
University of British Columbia, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Center, Vancouver, Canada
Metabolism 53:1177-83. 2004..Overall, these data indicate that in the IMCD ET-1 increases AVP V(2) receptor expression and these changes are mediated by the ET(B) receptor...
- Endothelin-B receptor blockade inhibits molecular effectors of melanoma cell progressionLaura Rosanò
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology and Ultrastructure, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S136-9. 2004....
- The effect of endothelin-1, endothelin-2 and endothelin-3 in early cerulein-induced acute pancreatitis in ratsJ W Długosz
Department of Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine, Medical University of Białystok, Poland
Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 49:85-92. 2004..To assess the effect of endothelins: ET-1, ET-2 and ET-3 on trypsinogen activation, lipase activity and histological changes in the pancreas in early (4 hrs) cerulein acute pancreatitis (AP) in rats...
- Mechanism of endothelin-induced contraction in guinea-pig trachea: comparison with rat aortaD W Hay
Department of Pharmacology, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, King of Prussia, Pa 19406 0939
Br J Pharmacol 100:383-92. 1990....
- Endothelin receptors mediating functional responses in human small arteries and veinsJ Riezebos
Dept of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, St George s Hospital Medical School, Tooting, London
Br J Pharmacol 111:609-15. 1994..There is no evidence of contractions mediated by 'classical' ETB receptors in these vessels, but small veins appear to contain a functional non ETA/non ETB receptor with a high affinity for endothelin-3...
- Different pressor and bronchoconstrictor properties of human big-endothelin-1, 2 (1-38) and 3 in ketamine/xylazine-anaesthetized guinea-pigsJ P Gratton
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, , , Canada
Br J Pharmacol 114:720-6. 1995..In contrast, in the pulmonary vasculature is localized in the vicinity of the sites responsible for eicosanoid release, an ECE which converts more readily big-endothelin-1 than big-endothelin-2...
- A novel ETA-receptor antagonist, FR 139317, inhibits endothelin-induced contractions of guinea-pig pulmonary arteries, but not tracheaL O Cardell
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, , Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 108:448-52. 1993..This suggests an ETA-receptor in the guinea-pig pulmonary artery and another receptor, probably of ETB-type, in the guinea-pig trachea...
- Contractile effects of endothelins on isolated ampullar segment of human oviduct in luteal phase of menstrual cycleSlobodan M Jankovic
Pharmacology Department, Medical Faculty, University of Kragujevac, Kragujevac, Serbia
Pharmacol Res 59:69-73. 2009..The results of our study suggest that in the luteal phase both ET(A) and ET(B) receptors regulate tone, and only ET(A) receptors regulate rhythmic activity of human oviduct's ampullar segment...
- Altered microvascular reactivity to endothelin-1, endothelin-3 and NG-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester in streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitusE Lawrence
Pharmacology Group, Biomedical Sciences Division, King s College, London
Br J Pharmacol 106:1035-40. 1992..The effect of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor L-NAME is also suppressed in the diabetics, suggesting that there may be decreased local production of, or response, to nitric oxide...
- Endothelin-1 and endothelin-3 regulate differently vasoconstrictor responses of smooth muscle of the porcine coronary arteryM Ushio Fukai
Division of Molecular Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 114:171-9. 1995....
- Endothelium-dependent mesenteric vasorelaxant effects and systemic actions of endothelin (16-21) and other endothelin-related peptides in the ratS A Douglas
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge
Br J Pharmacol 104:311-20. 1991....
- Molecular bases of congenital hypopigmentary disorders in humans and oculocutaneous albinism 1 in JapanY Tomita
Department of Dermatology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
Pigment Cell Res 13:130-4. 2000..The disease gene and its chromosomal localization have not been identified yet. Our trial of linkage analysis and positional cloning to determine the disease gene is presented...
- Immunoreactivity of endothelins and endothelin receptor in the stria vascularis of the mouse cochleaT Fujimura
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Kitakyushu, Japan
Hear Res 128:135-46. 1999..In addition, the role of lysosomes in the crinophagy of the endothelins in the strial intermediate cells is proposed in the +/+ mice...
- Evidence for multiple endothelin receptors in the guinea-pig pulmonary artery and tracheaL O Cardell
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, , Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 105:376-80. 19921. The responses of the three peptides, endothelin 1 (ET-1), endothelin 2 (ET-2) and endothelin 3 (ET-3) were analysed on isolated circular segments of pulmonary arteries and trachea from the guinea-pig. 2...
- Coeliac haemodynamic effects of endothelin-1, endothelin-3, proendothelin-1 [1-38] and proendothelin-3 [1-41] in conscious ratsS M Gardiner
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Nottingham Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre
Br J Pharmacol 106:483-8. 1992....
- Endothelin receptors mediating contraction in goat cerebral arteriesJ B Salom
, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 109:826-30. 1993..The different antagonistic potency of BQ-123 against endothelin-I and sarafotoxin S6b suggests the existence of subtypes of ETA receptors...
- Potent constrictor actions of endothelin-1, endothelin-2, and endothelin-3 in rat isolated portal veinC L Guimaraes
Department of Pharmacology, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil
Hypertension 19:II79-86. 1992..Their action appears to rely largely on Ca2+ influx from the external medium (only in part via L- and T-type Ca2+ channels) and activation of protein kinase C but not on eicosanoid generation.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Cosegregation of the endothelin-3 locus with blood pressure and relative heart weight in inbred Dahl ratsG T Cicila
Cosmopolitan International Diabetes Center, University of Missouri, Columbia 65212
J Hypertens 12:643-51. 1994..To determine whether the endothelin-1 or endothelin-3 genes are genetically linked with blood pressure and relative heart weight in segregating rat populations, in the context of an elevated dietary sodium chloride intake...
- Expression of endothelin peptides and mRNA in the human heartC Plumpton
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, U K
Clin Sci (Lond) 90:37-46. 1996..If released from the endothelial cells in vivo, this potent cardiotonic peptide may play an important paracrine role in human cardiovascular function...
- Activation of endogenous thromboxane A2 biosynthesis mediates presynaptic inhibition by endothelin-3 of dog stellate ganglionic transmissionK Kushiku
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 272:70-6. 1995....
- Characterization of endothelin receptors in the human umbilical artery and veinG Bogoni
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Ferrara, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 119:1600-4. 1996....
- Evidence of genetic underexpression in chorionic villi samples of euploid fetuses with increased nuchal translucency at 10-11 weeks' gestationAntonio Farina
Prenatal Medicine Unit, Embryology and Applied Biology, University of Bologna, Italy
Prenat Diagn 26:128-33. 2006..To retrospectively investigate whether the genetic profile from chorionic villous sampling (CVS) found in euploid fetuses with increased NT differs from matched controls...
- A high-resolution linkage map of the lethal spotting locus: a mouse model for Hirschsprung diseaseW J Pavan
Laboratory for Genetic Disease Research, National Center for Human Genome Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Mamm Genome 6:1-7. 1995..Only Edn3 and Gnas did not recombine with the ls mutation. Mutational analysis of the Edn3 and Gnas genes will determine whether either gene is responsible for the neural crest deficiencies observed in ls/ls mice...
- Different pharmacological profiles of big-endothelin-3 and big-endothelin-1 in vivo and in vitroP D'Orléans-Juste
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 104:440-4. 1991..The ECE is present in the guinea-pig pulmonary vasculature. Furthermore, our results suggest that the ECE activity is specific for big-ET-1 and may not convert big-ET-3 to its active metabolite, ET-3...
- A mouse model of Waardenburg syndrome type 4 with a new spontaneous mutation of the endothelin-B receptor geneYoshibumi Matsushima
Saitama Cancer Center, Research Institute 818 Komuro, Ina, Saitama 362 0806, Japan
Mamm Genome 13:30-5. 2002..To date, three genes responsible for WS4 have been cloned: genes for a transcription factor SOX10, endothelin 3 (EDN3), and endothelin B receptor (EDNRB)...
- Gi2 signaling enhances proliferation of neural progenitor cells in the developing brainHaruo Shinohara
Department of Anatomy, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:41141-8. 2004..These findings indicate that Gi2 mediates signaling from receptors such as the endothelin-B receptor to maintain mitogenic activity in the neural progenitor cells of developing brain...
- Contribution of endogenous endothelin to the extension of myocardial infarct size in ratsT Watanabe
Biology Research Laboratories, Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Circ Res 69:370-7. 1991..endothelin 1 (AwETN40) suppressed changes induced by endothelin 1 and endothelin 2 but did not modify those by endothelin 3 in vivo or in vitro. Effects of AwETN40 on myocardial infarct size were investigated...
- Sox10 mutation disrupts neural crest development in Dom Hirschsprung mouse modelE M Southard-Smith
Mouse Embryology Section, Laboratory of Genetic Disease Research, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4472, USA
Nat Genet 18:60-4. 1998..These include mice with deficiencies of endothelin B receptor (Ednrb(s-l); refs 1,2) endothelin 3 (Edn3(ls): refs 1,3) the tyrosine kinase receptor cRet and glial-derived neurotrophic factor...
- Novel nonsense mutation of the endothelin-B receptor gene in a family with Waardenburg-Hirschsprung diseaseP Syrris
Medical Genetics Unit, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet 87:69-71. 1999....
- A genistein-sensitive Na+/Ca2+ exchange is responsible for the resting [Ca2+]i and most of the Ca2+ plasma membrane fluxes in stimulated rat cerebellar type 1 astrocytesH Rojas
Laboratorio de Permeabilidad Ionica, Centro de Biofisica y Bioquimica, IVIC Apartado 21827, Caracas 1020 A, Venezuela
Jpn J Physiol 54:249-62. 2004....
- Endothelin mediates local and systemic disease sequelae in severe experimental pancreatitisT Foitzik
Department of Surgery, Benjamin Franklin Medical Center, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Pancreas 22:248-54. 2001..These observations underscore the role of endothelin as a mediator of disease severity in AP and suggest that endothelin receptor blockade may become a promising therapeutic tool in this disease...
- Endothelin-1-induced vasodilatation in rat breast tumor is mediated through endothelin-B receptorsAnil Gulati
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S483-6. 2004..The increase in perfusion was attenuated (-25.2%; P < 0.05) with the administration of BQ788. Results indicate that ET-1 induced an increase in blood flow to tumors in tumor-bearing rats, which is mediated by endothelin-B receptors...
- Activation of mineralocorticoid receptors by exogenous glucocorticoids and the development of cardiovascular inflammatory responses in adrenalectomized ratsMorag J Young
P O Box 5152, Clayton 3168, Victoria, Australia
Endocrinology 151:2622-8. 2010..increased by DOC and CORT/CBX; in contrast, DOC had no effect on mRNA levels for channel inducing factor or endothelin 3, which were elevated only by CORT/CBX. All changes noted were reversed by eplerenone...
- Presence of messenger ribonucleic acid for endothelin-1, endothelin-2, and endothelin-3 in human endometrium and a change in the ratio of ETA and ETB receptor subtype across the menstrual cycleG O'Reilly
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Cambridge Clinical School, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:1545-9. 1992....
- ETB-type receptors mediate endothelin-stimulated contraction in the aortic vascular smooth muscle of the spiny dogfish shark, Squalus acanthiasD H Evans
Mt Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, ME 04672, USA
J Comp Physiol B 165:659-64. 1996..Our data are consistent with the hypothesis that the receptor involved in the contractile response to endothelin of shark aortic vascular smooth muscle is of the ETB-rather than the ETA-type...
- Human homology and candidate genes for the Dominant megacolon locus, a mouse model of Hirschsprung diseaseV Pingault
INSERM U91, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Genomics 39:86-9. 1997..have been identified: the RET proto-oncogene, the gene coding for the endothelin B receptor (EDNRB), and the endothelin 3 gene (EDN3)...
- Cloning and characterization of an endothelin-3 specific receptor (ETC receptor) from Xenopus laevis dermal melanophoresS Karne
Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510
J Biol Chem 268:19126-33. 1993..Competition binding experiments performed on HeLa cells transiently expressing pETc show that the apparent Ki values for ET-3 and ET-1 to displace [125I]ET-3 are 45.5 +/- 16 and 114 +/- 22 nM, respectively...
- Interstitial deletion of the endothelin-B receptor gene in the spotting lethal (sl) ratI Ceccherini
Laboratorio di Genetica Molecolare, Istituto G Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 4:2089-96. 1995..The discovery of the molecular defect underlying the sl rat phenotype should contribute to the understanding of the genetic heterogeneity of HSCR in man...
- Cloning and functional expression of a vascular smooth muscle endothelin 1 receptorH Y Lin
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:3185-9. 1991..The affinity of the cloned endothelin receptor for endothelin 3 is greater than 100 times less in A10 cells and in a CHO cell line stably transformed by the endothelin ..
- A homozygous mutation in the endothelin-3 gene associated with a combined Waardenburg type 2 and Hirschsprung phenotype (Shah-Waardenburg syndrome)R M Hofstra
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 12:445-7. 1996..which has pigment abnormalities, but also colonic aganglionosis, carries a mutation in the gene coding for endothelin 3 (Edn3), the ligand for the receptor protein encoded by EDNRB...
- Localization of immunoreactive endothelin and proendothelin in the human lungS J Marciniak
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Cambridge, UK
Pulm Pharmacol 5:175-82. 1992..If immunoreactive endothelin is released onto these sites in vivo, endothelin may act as a paracrine mediator in the human lung...
- Endothelin-3-converting enzyme activity of the KEL1 and KEL6 phenotypes of the Kell blood group systemQuan Sha
Lindsley F Kimball Research Institute of the New York Blood Center, 310 East 67th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Biol Chem 281:7180-2. 2006....
- Identification of endothelin-1, endothelin-2 and endothelin-3 in human endometriumI T Cameron
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Cambridge Clinical School, UK
J Reprod Fertil 98:251-5. 1993..These data provide evidence that the three endothelin isoforms are present in human endometrium, and suggest that these potent vasoactive agents may play a role in the paracrine control of the uterine vascular bed...
- Endothelin activation of an inwardly rectifying K+ current in atrial cellsD Kim
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Chicago Medical School, Ill 60064
Circ Res 69:250-5. 1991..These results indicate that endothelin has a potent negatively chronotropic effect by activation of the inwardly rectifying, muscarinic K+ channel and therefore could be an important regulator of heart function...
- Culture of human intestinal epithelial cell using the dissociating enzyme thermolysin and endothelin-3Z Liu
Department of Surgery, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated Sixth People s Hospital, China
Braz J Med Biol Res 43:451-9. 2010..This is relatively simple, requiring no sophisticated techniques or instruments, and may have a number of varied applications...
- Human embryonic stem cell-derived neural crest stem cells and Hirschsprung diseaSean J Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will test whether NCSCs with specific regional characteristics can be derived from hES cells and whether these cells engraft in the gut of an animal model of Hirschsprung disease. ..
- Human embryonic stem cell-derived neural crest stem cells and Hirschsprung diseaSEAN MORRISON; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will test whether NCSCs with specific regional characteristics can be derived from hES cells and whether these cells engraft in the gut of an animal model of Hirschsprung disease. ..
- Gdnf and endothelin-3 regulate colorectal enteric nervous system developmentAllan M Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this proposal is to understand the mechanisms that control development of the intestinal nervous system in order to improve our ability to diagnose and treat children born with these chronic and disabling conditions. ..
- Characterization of neural crest stem cells in human hair follicles.Xiaowei Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies may lead to potential use of these cells in regenerative therapy and establish a novel model to study the etiology of neural crest cells related human diseases. ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF HIRSCHSPRUNG DISEASEAravinda Chakravarti; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term objective of this study is to understand the molecular genetic basis of HSCR. More generally, our aim is to develop a paradigm for sequence-based biology in complex, human diseases. ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF HIRSCHSPRUNG DISEASEAravinda Chakravarti; Fiscal Year: 2001..More generally, the aim is to develop a paradigm for the genetic and molecular analysis of complex, multifactorial human diseases. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HEPATIC FIBROSIS AND PORTAL HYPERTENSIONDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 1999..These studies have direct relevance to human liver disease and are likely to lead to new approaches for the treatment of portal hypertension, hepatic fibrosis and possibly other forms of fibrosing injury. ..
- Development of the enteric nervous system: Cells & genesMichael Gershon; Fiscal Year: 2006..The invited speakers include all of the leading researchers in the field, including Professor Nicole Le Douarin. We also anticipate that many post-graduate students and post-doctoral fellows will also attend. ..
- Functions of Kell and XK Blood Group ProteinsSoohee Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that findings from our proposed studies will shed important insights into the functions of two important but poorly understood red cell membrane proteins. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL TRANSFORMATION OF HUMAN MELANOCYTES IN VIVOMeenhard Herlyn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our unique model allows a systematic dissection of the biological and molecular events leading to human melanoma formation. ..
- Mechanisms of Endothelin 1-Induced Sickle Cell PathologyAlicia Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2009..We plan to characterize mechanisms of ET-1-stimulated sickle red cell dehydration as a means to develop ET-1 receptor antagonists as a novel therapy in the treatment of sickle cell disease. ..
- Mechanisms of Endothelin 1-Induced Sickle Cell PathologyAlicia Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2009..We plan to characterize mechanisms of ET-1-stimulated sickle red cell dehydration as a means to develop ET-1 receptor antagonists as a novel therapy in the treatment of sickle cell disease. ..
- CHANNEL-MEDIATED RBC DEHYDRATION IN SICKLE CELL DISEASEAlicia Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is additionally significant, because it will provide the means for the applicant to establish an independent research career and to become competitive for a tenure-track assistant professional position. ..
- Cytokines in Sickle Cell Volume RegulationAlicia Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Endothelin-2 in Ovarian Follicle RuptureChemyong Ko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed experiments will provide clinical direction in identifying the therapeutic target for the cure of annovulatory symptoms, one of the leading causes of female infertility. ..
- Cellular Quiescence and Brain Tumor Stem CellsCho Lea Tso; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Neural Control of Sodium Balance in Hypertension: ExerciseNoreen Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will provide data to direct strategic pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions for cardiovascular health that may be readily translated into clinical practice. ..
- Nociception in Diabetic Neuropathy: Role of EndothelinsLiliana Berti Mattera; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- THE SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM AND PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAPaul Walden; Fiscal Year: 2002..The second system is the spontaneously hypertensive rat, an animal model that displays elevated sympathetic activity with concomitant prostatic hyperplasia. ..
- Endothelin-2 in Ovarian Follicle RuptureChemyong Ko; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed experiments will provide clinical direction in identifying the therapeutic target for the cure of annovulatory symptoms, one of the leading causes of female infertility. ..