Genomes and Genes
epidermal growth factor
Summary: A 6-kDa polypeptide growth factor initially discovered in mouse submaxillary glands. Human epidermal growth factor was originally isolated from urine based on its ability to inhibit gastric secretion and called urogastrone. EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR exerts a wide variety of biological effects including the promotion of proliferation and differentiation of mesenchymal and epithelial cells.
Publications422 found, 100 shown here
- Activating mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor underlying responsiveness of non-small-cell lung cancer to gefitinibThomas J Lynch
Cancer Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02129, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2129-39. 2004..non-small-cell lung cancer have no response to the tyrosine kinase inhibitor gefitinib, which targets the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR). However, about 10 percent of patients have a rapid and often dramatic clinical response...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling in cancerNicola Normanno
Cell Biology and Preclinical Models Unit, INT Fondazione Pascale, 80131 Naples, Italy
Gene 366:2-16. 2006The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) belongs to the ErbB family of receptor tyrosine kinases (RTK). These trans-membrane proteins are activated following binding with peptide growth factors of the EGF-family of proteins...
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cervical cancer: correlation with tumor progression, epidermal growth factor receptor overexpression, and snail up-regulationMei Yi Lee
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Cancer Res 14:4743-50. 2008..Little is known about the existence and function of EMT in cervical cancer. This study aims to investigate the regulation of EMT in cervical squamous cell carcinoma...
- Stat3: a STAT family member activated by tyrosine phosphorylation in response to epidermal growth factor and interleukin-6Z Zhong
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021
Science 264:95-8. 1994..Stat3, becomes activated through phosphorylation on tyrosine as a DNA binding protein in response to epidermal growth factor (EGF) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) but not interferon gamma (IFN-gamma)...
- Reiterative use of the EGF receptor triggers differentiation of all cell types in the Drosophila eyeM Freeman
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cell 87:651-60. 1996..I have used a dominant-negative form of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor (DER) to show that this receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) is required for the differentiation of ..
- Microglial stimulation of glioblastoma invasion involves epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and colony stimulating factor 1 receptor (CSF-1R) signalingSalvatore J Coniglio
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Mol Med 18:519-27. 2012..Pharmacological inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) strongly inhibited microglia-stimulated invasion...
- A heparin-binding growth factor secreted by macrophage-like cells that is related to EGFS Higashiyama
Department of Surgical Research, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115
Science 251:936-9. 1991..acid sequence predicted from complementary DNA clones indicates that the mitogen is a new member of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) family...
- Growth factor-induced MAPK network topology shapes Erk response determining PC-12 cell fateSilvia D M Santos
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Cell Biology and Biophysics, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 9:324-30. 2007..These results show that growth factor context determines the topology of the MAPK signalling network and that the resulting dynamics govern cell fate...
- EGF-ERBB signalling: towards the systems levelAmi Citri
Department of Biological Regulation, The Weizmann Institute of Science, 1 Hertzl Street, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 7:505-16. 2006..Because network fragility is an inevitable trade-off of robustness, systems-level understanding is expected to generate therapeutic opportunities to intercept aberrant network activation...
- Ubiquitin ligase activity and tyrosine phosphorylation underlie suppression of growth factor signaling by c-Cbl/Sli-1G Levkowitz
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Mol Cell 4:1029-40. 1999..system indicates that Cbl adaptor proteins directly control downregulation of the receptor for the epidermal growth factor (EGFR) by recruiting ubiquitin-activating and -conjugating enzymes...
- Crystal structure of the complex of human epidermal growth factor and receptor extracellular domainsHideo Ogiso
RIKEN Genomic Sciences Center, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi, 230 0045, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Cell 110:775-87. 2002b>Epidermal growth factor (EGF) regulates cell proliferation and differentiation by binding to the EGF receptor (EGFR) extracellular region, comprising domains I-IV, with the resultant dimerization of the receptor tyrosine kinase...
- Global, in vivo, and site-specific phosphorylation dynamics in signaling networksJesper V Olsen
Center for Experimental Bioinformatics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, DK 5230 Odense, Denmark
Cell 127:635-48. 2006..sites on 2,244 proteins and have determined their temporal dynamics after stimulating HeLa cells with epidermal growth factor (EGF) and recorded them in the Phosida database...
- Differential roles of ERK and Akt pathways in regulation of EGFR-mediated signaling and motility in prostate cancer cellsY Gan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
Oncogene 29:4947-58. 2010Upregulation of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and subsequent increases in extracellular-regulated kinase (ERK) and Akt signaling are implicated in prostate cancer progression...
- Binding of proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 to epidermal growth factor-like repeat A of low density lipoprotein receptor decreases receptor recycling and increases degradationDa Wei Zhang
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, Howard Hughes Institute, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 282:18602-12. 2007..Recombinant human PCSK9 interacted in a sequence-specific manner with the first epidermal growth factor-like repeat (EGF-A) in the EGF homology domain of the human LDLR...
- Estrogen-induced activation of Erk-1 and Erk-2 requires the G protein-coupled receptor homolog, GPR30, and occurs via trans-activation of the epidermal growth factor receptor through release of HB-EGFE J Filardo
Department of Medicine and Surgery, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University, Providence 02903, USA
Mol Endocrinol 14:1649-60. 2000..Reinforcing this idea, estradiol signaling to Erk-1/-2 was dependent upon trans-activation of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor via release of heparan-bound EGF (HB-EGF)...
- A module of negative feedback regulators defines growth factor signalingIdo Amit
Department of Biological Regulation, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Nat Genet 39:503-12. 2007..Using epidermal growth factor receptor signaling as the major model system and concentrating on regulation of transcription and mRNA ..
- Multi-institutional randomized phase II trial of gefitinib for previously treated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (The IDEAL 1 Trial) [corrected]Masahiro Fukuoka
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Ohnohigashi Osakasayama, Osaka 589, Japan
J Clin Oncol 21:2237-46. 2003..and tolerability of two doses of gefitinib (Iressa [ZD1839]; AstraZeneca, Wilmington, DE), a novel epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with pretreated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (..
- EGF converts transit-amplifying neurogenic precursors in the adult brain into multipotent stem cellsFiona Doetsch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Neuron 36:1021-34. 2002..Furthermore, purified C cells are 53-fold enriched for neurosphere generation. We conclude that transit-amplifying cells retain stem cell competence under the influence of growth factors...
- Distinct roles for ADAM10 and ADAM17 in ectodomain shedding of six EGFR ligandsUmut Sahin
Cell Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Box 368, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Cell Biol 164:769-79. 2004All ligands of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), which has important roles in development and disease, are released from the membrane by proteases...
- A Mena invasion isoform potentiates EGF-induced carcinoma cell invasion and metastasisUlrike Philippar
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Koch Institute, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Dev Cell 15:813-28. 2008..Mena and Mena(INV) potentiate epidermal growth factor (EGF)-induced membrane protrusion and increase the matrix degradation activity of tumor cells...
- Post-transcriptional up-regulation of ADAM17 upon epidermal growth factor receptor activation and in breast tumorsBelen Santiago-Josefat
Medical Oncology Research Program, Vall d Hebron University Hospital Research Institute, Passeig Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Biol Chem 282:8325-31. 2007..Here we show that long term treatment with epidermal growth factor (EGF) leads to a marked increase in the levels of ADAM17...
- Ultraviolet irradiation-induces epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) nuclear translocation in human keratinocytesYiru Xu
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Cell Biochem 107:873-80. 2009b>Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) plays a critical role in mediating ultraviolet (UV) irradiation-induced signal transduction and gene expression in human keratinocytes...
- A clathrin-dependent pathway leads to KRas signaling on late endosomes en route to lysosomesAlbert Lu
Departament de Biologia Cellular, Immunologia i Neurociencies, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Serveis Cientificotecnics, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Cell Biol 184:863-79. 2009..In this study, we report that epidermal growth factor triggers Kirsten Ras (KRas) translocation onto endosomal membranes (independently of calmodulin and ..
- Expression and regulation of the novel vascular endothelial growth factor receptor neuropilin-1 by epidermal growth factor in human pancreatic carcinomaAlexander A Parikh
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 98:720-9. 2003....
- Anchorage-dependent ERK signaling--mechanisms and consequencesAlan K Howe
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Campus Box 7365, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 3765, USA
Curr Opin Genet Dev 12:30-5. 2002..Recent work has demonstrated that cell adhesion can regulate ERK signaling at several checkpoints and has begun to define the mechanism and consequences associated with anchorage-dependent effects on the ERK cascade...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor cooperates with signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 to induce epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cancer cells via up-regulation of TWIST gene expressionHui Wen Lo
Department of Surgery, The Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Cancer Res 67:9066-76. 2007Aberrant epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling is a major cause of tumor progression and metastasis; the underlying mechanisms, however, are not well understood...
- Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitroJ Sanchez-Ramos
Department of Neurology, University of South Florida, Tampa, USA
Exp Neurol 164:247-56. 2000..When labeled human or mouse BMSC were cultured with rat fetal mesencephalic or striatal cells, a small proportion of BMSC-derived cells differentiated into neuron-like cells expressing NeuN and glial cells expressing GFAP...
- Distinct roles of Akt1 and Akt2 in regulating cell migration and epithelial-mesenchymal transitionHanna Y Irie
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Cell Biol 171:1023-34. 2005..These results highlight the distinct functions of Akt isoforms in regulating growth factor-stimulated EMT and cell migration, as well as the importance of Akt1 in cross-regulating the ERK signaling pathway...
- Downregulation of caveolin-1 function by EGF leads to the loss of E-cadherin, increased transcriptional activity of beta-catenin, and enhanced tumor cell invasionZhimin Lu
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cancer Cell 4:499-515. 2003..We propose that EGF-induced negative regulation of caveolin-1 plays a central role in the complex cellular changes leading to metastasis...
- Role of epidermal growth factor receptor and STAT-3 activation in autonomous proliferation of SUM-102PT human breast cancer cellsC I Sartor
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0582, USA
Cancer Res 57:978-87. 1997..were isolated and have been continually cultured in three defined media, one of which contains exogenous epidermal growth factor (EGF). SUM-102PT cells have also been carried in an EGF-free medium supplemented with progesterone...
- Autocrine ligands for the epidermal growth factor receptor mediate interleukin-8 release from bronchial epithelial cells in response to cigarette smokeAudrey Richter
Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology Division, School of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 27:85-90. 2002..As cigarette smoke (CS) and epidermal growth factor (EGF) both cause release of interleukin-8 (IL-8) from epithelial cells in vitro, we investigated whether ..
- Clathrin-mediated internalization is essential for sustained EGFR signaling but dispensable for degradationSara Sigismund
IFOM, Fondazione Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare, Via Adamello 16, 20139 Milan, Italy
Dev Cell 15:209-19. 2008Clathrin-mediated endocytosis (CME) is the major pathway of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) internalization...
- Transforming growth factor-β-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition facilitates epidermal growth factor-dependent breast cancer progressionM K Wendt
Division of General Medical Sciences Oncology, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Oncogene 29:6485-98. 2010Transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) and epidermal growth factor (EGF) have critical roles in regulating the metastasis of aggressive breast cancers, yet the impact of epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) induced by TGF-β in ..
- ID1 facilitates the growth and metastasis of non-small cell lung cancer in response to nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and epidermal growth factor receptor signalingSmitha Pillai
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:3052-67. 2011..Here we show that ID1 is induced by nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling in a panel of NSCLC cell lines and primary cells from the lung...
- Specific Rab GTPase-activating proteins define the Shiga toxin and epidermal growth factor uptake pathwaysEvelyn Fuchs
Department of Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Martinsried 82152, Germany
J Cell Biol 177:1133-43. 2007..the trafficking of Shiga toxin from the cell surface to the Golgi apparatus and studied transport of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) from the cell surface to endosomes...
- Fringe is a glycosyltransferase that modifies NotchD J Moloney
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Institute for Cell and Developmental Biology, SUNY Stony Brook, New York 11794 5215, USA
Nature 406:369-75. 2000..activity that initiates elongation of O-linked fucose residues attached to epidermal growth factor-like sequence repeats of Notch...
- Epidermal growth factor-induced tumor cell invasion and metastasis initiated by dephosphorylation and downregulation of focal adhesion kinaseZ Lu
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Cell Biol 21:4016-31. 2001Upregulated epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor (EGFR) expression and EGFR-induced signaling have been correlated with progression to invasion and metastasis in a wide variety of carcinomas, but the mechanism behind this is not well ..
- Drosophila rhomboid-1 defines a family of putative intramembrane serine proteasesS Urban
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, United Kingdom
Cell 107:173-82. 2001..Rhomboid-1 is conserved throughout evolution from archaea to humans, and our results show that a human Rhomboid promotes Spitz cleavage by a similar mechanism. This growth factor activation mechanism may therefore be widespread...
- Spatio-temporal images of growth-factor-induced activation of Ras and Rap1N Mochizuki
Department of Structural Analysis, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, 5 7 1 Fujishirodai, Suita Shi, Osaka 565 8565, Japan
Nature 411:1065-8. 2001..b>Epidermal growth factor activated Ras at the peripheral plasma membrane and Rap1 at the intracellular perinuclear region of COS-1 ..
- Multiple mechanisms collectively regulate clathrin-mediated endocytosis of the epidermal growth factor receptorLai Kuan Goh
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Cell Biol 189:871-83. 2010Endocytosis of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is important for the regulation of EGFR signaling...
- Phenobarbital indirectly activates the constitutive active androstane receptor (CAR) by inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor signalingShingo Mutoh
Pharmacogenetics Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Sci Signal 6:ra31. 2013..We found that phenobarbital activated CAR by inhibiting epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling...
- Plasma epidermal growth factor levels predict cognitive decline in Parkinson diseaseAlice S Chen-Plotkin
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Neurol 69:655-63. 2011..Most people with Parkinson disease (PD) eventually develop cognitive impairment (CI). However, neither the timing of onset nor the severity of cognitive symptoms can be accurately predicted. We sought plasma-based biomarkers for CI in PD...
- Synergistic coupling of histone H3 phosphorylation and acetylation in response to epidermal growth factor stimulationP Cheung
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Mol Cell 5:905-15. 2000..Here we report that these two modifications are synergistic. Stimulation of mammalian cells by epidermal growth factor (EGF) results in rapid and sequential phosphorylation and acetylation of H3, and these dimodified H3 ..
- Epidermal growth factor induction of front-rear polarity and migration in keratinocytes is mediated by integrin-linked kinase and ELMO2Ernest Ho
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5C1, Canada
Mol Biol Cell 23:492-502. 2012b>Epidermal growth factor (EGF) is a potent chemotactic and mitogenic factor for epidermal keratinocytes, and these properties are central for normal epidermal regeneration after injury...
- Emergence of bimodal cell population responses from the interplay between analog single-cell signaling and protein expression noiseMarc R Birtwistle
Dept of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
BMC Syst Biol 6:109. 2012..Here, we apply deterministic and probabilistic models and biochemical measurements to study how network topologies and cell-to-cell protein abundance variations interact to shape signaling responses...
- WASP family members and formin proteins coordinate regulation of cell protrusions in carcinoma cellsCorina Sarmiento
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Cell Biol 180:1245-60. 2008..promoters neural Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein (N-WASP) and WAVE2 in cell protrusion in response to epidermal growth factor (EGF), a key regulator in carcinoma cell invasion...
- Multiple reaction monitoring for robust quantitative proteomic analysis of cellular signaling networksAlejandro Wolf-Yadlin
Biological Engineering Division, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5860-5. 2007..Using this approach, it should now be possible to routinely monitor the phosphorylation status of hundreds of nodes across multiple biological conditions...
- The enhanced tumorigenic activity of a mutant epidermal growth factor receptor common in human cancers is mediated by threshold levels of constitutive tyrosine phosphorylation and unattenuated signalingH S Huang
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0660, USA
J Biol Chem 272:2927-35. 1997Deregulation of signaling by the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is common in human malignancy progression...
- Epidermal growth factor induces tumour marker AKR1B10 expression through activator protein-1 signalling in hepatocellular carcinoma cellsZiwen Liu
Department of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology, Simmons Cancer Institute, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, 913 North Rutledge Street, Springfield, IL 62794, U S A
Biochem J 442:273-82. 2012..The present study showed that AKR1B10 is induced by mitogen EGF (epidermal growth factor) and insulin through the AP-1 (activator protein-1) signalling pathway...
- Gefitinib induces epidermal growth factor receptor dimers which alters the interaction characteristics with ¹²⁵I-EGFHanna Björkelund
Biomedical Radiation Sciences, Department of Radiology, Oncology and Radiation Science, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e24739. 2011The tyrosine kinase inhibitor gefitinib inhibits growth in some tumor types by targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)...
- Expansion of human trophoblastic spheroids is promoted by decidualized endometrial stromal cells and enhanced by heparin-binding epidermal growth factor-like growth factor and interleukin-1 βMarina González
Endokrinologikum Hamburg, Falkenried 88, 20251 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Hum Reprod 17:421-33. 2011..Co-cultures were treated with epidermal growth factor (EGF), hepatocyte growth factor, heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor (HB-EGF), interleukin-1β (IL-1β)..
- ERK/MAPK pathways play critical roles in EGFR ligands-induced MMP1 expressionSarah Park
Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine, Seoul St Mary s Hospital, Catholic University School of Medicine, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 407:680-6. 2011Activation of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-induced signaling pathways has been correlated with tumor progression, invasion and metastasis in a variety of cancers including breast carcinoma, but the underlying mechanism is not ..
- Inhibitory effects of fucoidan on activation of epidermal growth factor receptor and cell transformation in JB6 Cl41 cellsNa Yeon Lee
College of Pharmacy, Chosun University, Gwangju, South Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1793-800. 2008..hypothesis that fucoidan may suppress neoplastic cell transformation by inhibiting the phosphorylation of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) in mouse epidermal JB6 Cl41 cells...
- Modulation of hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha expression by the epidermal growth factor/phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/PTEN/AKT/FRAP pathway in human prostate cancer cells: implications for tumor angiogenesis and therapeuticsH Zhong
The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Cancer Res 60:1541-5. 2000..These data indicate that pharmacological agents that target PI3K, AKT, or FRAP in tumor cells inhibit HIF-1alpha expression and that such inhibition may contribute to therapeutic efficacy...
- A family of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases activates all Drosophila membrane-tethered EGF ligandsSinisa Urban
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
EMBO J 21:4277-86. 2002Drosophila has three membrane-tethered epidermal growth factor (EGF)-like proteins: Spitz, Gurken and Keren. Spitz and Gurken have been genetically confirmed to activate the EGF receptor, but Keren is uncharacterized...
- (-)-Epigallocatechin gallate causes internalization of the epidermal growth factor receptor in human colon cancer cellsSeiji Adachi
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center and Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, HHSC 1509, 701 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032 2704, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:1986-93. 2008We recently found that the inhibitory effect of (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) on epidermal growth factor (EGF) binding to the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is associated with alterations in lipid organization in the ..
- Cardiac hypertrophy is inhibited by antagonism of ADAM12 processing of HB-EGF: metalloproteinase inhibitors as a new therapyMasanori Asakura
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Nat Med 8:35-40. 2002..We found that the shedding of heparin-binding epidermal growth factor (HB-EGF) resulting from metalloproteinase activation and subsequent transactivation of the epidermal ..
- Differential effects of EGFR ligands on endocytic sorting of the receptorKirstine Roepstorff
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, The Panum Building, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Traffic 10:1115-27. 2009..The Cbl ubiquitin ligases, especially c-Cbl, are responsible for EGFR ubiquitination after stimulation with all ligands, and persistent EGFR phosphorylation and ubiquitination largely correlate with receptor degradation...
- Cross-talk between epidermal growth factor receptor and c-Met signal pathways in transformed cellsM Jo
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Biol Chem 275:8806-11. 2000..We proposed that TGFalpha and the autocrine activation of its receptor, epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), leads to phosphorylation and activation of c-Met...
- Localization of the MP1-MAPK scaffold complex to endosomes is mediated by p14 and required for signal transductionDavid Teis
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Dev Cell 3:803-14. 2002..Reduction of MP1 or p14 protein levels by siRNAi results in defective signal transduction. Therefore, our results suggest that the endosomal localization of the p14/MP1-MAPK scaffold complex is crucial for signal transduction...
- Epidermal growth factor signaling induces behavioral quiescence in Caenorhabditis elegansCheryl Van Buskirk
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Division of Biology 156 29, California Institute of Technology, 1200 E California Blvd Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:1300-7. 2007The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)/ErbB receptor tyrosine kinases regulate several aspects of development, including the development of the mammalian nervous system...
- Endocytosis and intracellular trafficking of ErbBsAlexander Sorkin
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045 0508, USA
Exp Cell Res 314:3093-106. 2008..However, these ErbBs are internalized and targeted to lysosomes less efficiently than EGFR. When overexpressed endocytosis-impaired ErbBs may inhibit the internalization and degradation of EGFR...
- EGF decreases the abundance of microRNAs that restrain oncogenic transcription factorsRoi Avraham
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Sci Signal 3:ra43. 2010b>Epidermal growth factor (EGF) stimulates cells by launching gene expression programs that are frequently deregulated in cancer...
- Systems-level interactions between insulin-EGF networks amplify mitogenic signalingNikolay Borisov
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Mol Syst Biol 5:256. 2009..experimental and computational approaches to reveal how a concordant interplay between the insulin and epidermal growth factor (EGF) signaling networks can potentiate mitogenic signaling...
- Membrane-anchored growth factors, the epidermal growth factor family: beyond receptor ligandsShigeki Higashiyama
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Center for Regenerative Medicine CEREM, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Shitsukawa, Toon, Ehime 791 0295, Japan
Cancer Sci 99:214-20. 2008The epidermal growth factor (EGF) family and the EGF receptor (EGFR, ErbB) tyrosine kinase family have been spearheading the studies of signal transduction events that determine cell fate and behavior in vitro and in vivo...
- ADP-ribosylation factor 4 small GTPase mediates epidermal growth factor receptor-dependent phospholipase D2 activationSung Woo Kim
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:2661-8. 2003The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) plays a critical role in the development, proliferation, and differentiation of cells of epithelial and mesenchymal origin...
- Quantum dot ligands provide new insights into erbB/HER receptor-mediated signal transductionDiane S Lidke
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Nat Biotechnol 22:198-203. 2004The erbB/HER family of transmembrane receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs) mediate cellular responses to epidermal growth factor (EGF) and related ligands...
- Temporal analysis of phosphotyrosine-dependent signaling networks by quantitative proteomicsBlagoy Blagoev
Nat Biotechnol 22:1139-45. 2004..Each population was stimulated by epidermal growth factor for a different length of time, and tyrosine-phosphorylated proteins and closely associated binders were ..
- Not just a sink: endosomes in control of signal transductionMarta Miaczynska
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauerstrasse 108, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Curr Opin Cell Biol 16:400-6. 2004..By deciphering the interplay between endocytosis and signalling, we will be able to gain a more sophisticated level of understanding of signal transduction mechanisms...
- EGF stimulates annexin 1-dependent inward vesiculation in a multivesicular endosome subpopulationIan J White
Division of Cell Biology, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, UK
EMBO J 25:1-12. 2006..Annexin 1 accumulates on internal vesicles of MVB after EGF-stimulated inward vesiculation, suggesting that it may be required for a late stage in inward vesiculation...
- Epidermal growth factor-induced nuclear factor kappa B activation: A major pathway of cell-cycle progression in estrogen-receptor negative breast cancer cellsD K Biswas
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:8542-7. 2000The epidermal growth factor (EGF) family of receptors (EGFR) is overproduced in estrogen receptor (ER) negative (-) breast cancer cells...
- Cross-talk between epidermal growth factor receptor and hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha signal pathways increases resistance to apoptosis by up-regulating survivin gene expressionXiang Hong Peng
Department of Surgery and Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 281:25903-14. 2006Although increasing evidence supports a link between epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling and resistance to apoptosis, the mechanism by which the EGFR signaling pathway inhibits apoptosis is not well understood...
- ADAMTS1 and MMP1 proteolytically engage EGF-like ligands in an osteolytic signaling cascade for bone metastasisXin Lu
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
Genes Dev 23:1882-94. 2009..Proteolytic release of membrane-bound epidermal growth factor (EGF)-like growth factors, including Amphiregulin (AREG), heparin-binding EGF (HB-EGF), and transforming ..
- Amphiregulin and epiregulin mRNA expression in primary tumors predicts outcome in metastatic colorectal cancer treated with cetuximabBart Jacobs
Department of Pathology, Digestive Oncology Unit, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 27:5068-74. 2009To study the power of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) epiregulin (EREG) and amphiregulin (AREG) ligands' expression in primary tumors to predict the outcome in patients with chemorefractory metastatic colorectal cancer (cmCRC)..
- Identification of a Pax6-dependent epidermal growth factor family signaling source at the lateral edge of the embryonic cerebral cortexStavroula Assimacopoulos
Department of Neurobiology, Pharmacology, and Physiology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Neurosci 23:6399-403. 2003..The cortical antihem is identified by gene expression for three epidermal growth factor (EGF) family members, Tgf(alpha), Neuregulin 1, and Neuregulin 3, as well as two other signaling ..
- Enhanced degradation of EGF receptors by a sorting nexin, SNX1R C Kurten
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0650, USA
Science 272:1008-10. 1996..A protein, sorting nexin-1 (SNX1), was identified in a human cell line that bound to a region of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) containing the lysosomal targeting code...
- Urinary epidermal growth factor, monocyte chemotactic protein-1, and β2-microglobulin in children with ureteropelvic junction obstructionFabio Bartoli
Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 46:530-6. 2011We demonstrated down-regulation of epidermal growth factor (EGF) and up-regulation of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1) in the renal parenchyma in children who underwent pyeloplasty for ureteropelvic junction obstruction (UPJO)...
- Amphiregulin and Epiregulin mRNA expression in primary colorectal cancer and corresponding liver metastasesHidekazu Kuramochi
Department of Chemotherapy and Palliative Care, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawadacho, Shinjukuku, Tokyo, Japan
BMC Cancer 12:88. 2012..The purpose of this study is to determine the correlation of AREG and EREG expression between primary colorectal cancer and corresponding liver metastases...
- EGF-induced activation of the EGF receptor does not trigger mobilization of caveolaeMaja Kazazic
Institute of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Traffic 7:1518-27. 2006..Our results show that caveolae are not involved in endocytosis of EGF-bound EGFR to any significant degree and that high concentrations of EGF do not further mobilize caveolae...
- Cross-talk between the receptor tyrosine kinases Ron and epidermal growth factor receptorBelinda E Peace
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Exp Cell Res 289:317-25. 2003..Accordingly, the interaction of two dissimilar tyrosine kinase receptors, Ron and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) was investigated...
- Rational bases for the development of EGFR inhibitors for cancer treatmentRoberto Bianco
Dipartimento di Endocrinologia e Oncologia Molecolare e Clinica, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39:1416-31. 2007..The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR/ErbB1/HER1) belongs to the ErbB/HER-family of tyrosine kinase receptors (RTKs)...
- The efficacy of ErbB receptor-targeted anticancer therapeutics is influenced by the availability of epidermal growth factor-related peptidesAndrea B Motoyama
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Cancer Res 62:3151-8. 2002..Likewise, BT474 cells treated with mAb 4D5 in the presence of epidermal growth factor, betacellulin, and HRG were rescued from its antiproliferative effects by 57, 84, and 90%, respectively...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor plays an anabolic role in bone metabolism in vivoXianrong Zhang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:1022-34. 2011While the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-mediated signaling pathway has been shown to have vital roles in many developmental and pathologic processes, its functions in the development and homeostasis of the skeletal system has ..
- Asymmetric distribution of EGFR receptor during mitosis generates diverse CNS progenitor cellsYu Sun
Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Neuron 45:873-86. 2005..These data suggest that asymmetric EGFR distribution contributes to forebrain development by creating progenitors with different proliferative, migratory, and differentiation responses to ligand...
- Functional selectivity of EGF family peptide growth factors: implications for cancerKristy J Wilson
Purdue University School of Pharmacy and Purdue Cancer Research Center, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2064, USA
Pharmacol Ther 122:1-8. 2009..We also discuss the roles of divergent ligand activity in establishing and maintaining malignant phenotypes. Finally, we discuss the potential of mutant EGF family ligands as cancer chemotherapeutics targeted to ErbB receptors...
- Cofilin determines the migration behavior and turning frequency of metastatic cancer cellsMazen Sidani
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Cell Biol 179:777-91. 2007..The changes in cell shape, directional migration, and turning frequency were related to the re-localization of Arp2/3 complex to one pole of the cell upon suppression of cofilin expression...
- Epidermal growth factor inhibits Campylobacter jejuni-induced claudin-4 disruption, loss of epithelial barrier function, and Escherichia coli translocationJennifer M Lamb-Rosteski
Department of Biological Sciences, Inflammation Research Network, University of Calgary, 2500 University Dr N W, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4, Canada
Infect Immun 76:3390-8. 2008..jejuni and is thought to act as a principal vehicle of transmission to humans. Epidermal growth factor (EGF) is a small amino acid peptide that exerts a broad range of activities on the intestinal epithelium...
- Mammary tumorigenesis induced by fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 requires activation of the epidermal growth factor receptorLindsey K Bade
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Cell Sci 124:3106-17. 2011..Previous studies have demonstrated that upon iFGFR1 activation in vivo, the epidermal growth factor (EGF) ligands amphiregulin (AREG) and epiregulin (EREG) are upregulated...
- GRB2 couples RhoU to epidermal growth factor receptor signaling and cell migrationJin San Zhang
Division of Oncology Research and Schulze Center for Novel Therapeutics
Mol Biol Cell 22:2119-30. 2011..We show that after epidermal growth factor (EGF) stimulation RhoU colocalizes with EGF receptor (EGFR) on endosomes, which requires both its N- and ..
- Heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor and ErbB signaling is essential for heart functionRyo Iwamoto
Department of Cell Biology, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3221-6. 2003The heparin-binding epidermal growth factor (EGF)-like growth factor (HB-EGF) is a member of the EGF family of growth factors that binds to and activates the EGF receptor (EGFR) and the related receptor tyrosine kinase, ErbB4...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor and PTEN modulate tissue factor expression in glioblastoma through JunD/activator protein-1 transcriptional activityYuan Rong
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Cancer Res 69:2540-9. 2009..b>Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) amplification and PTEN loss are two common genetic alterations seen in GBM but not in ..
- Epidermal growth factor-stimulated extravillous cytotrophoblast motility is mediated by the activation of PI3-K, Akt and both p38 and p42/44 mitogen-activated protein kinasesHeather L LaMarca
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Hum Reprod 23:1733-41. 2008..Evidence suggests that the potent mitogen epidermal growth factor (EGF) regulates cytotrophoblast (CTB) differentiation and invasion during early pregnancy.
- Enterocyte-specific epidermal growth factor prevents barrier dysfunction and improves mortality in murine peritonitisJessica A Clark
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G471-9. 2009Systemic administration of epidermal growth factor (EGF) decreases mortality in a murine model of septic peritonitis...
- Targeting the heparin-binding epidermal growth factor-like growth factor in ovarian cancer therapyHiroshi Tsujioka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 23:24-30. 2011..This review discusses the possibility of the clinical adaptation of targeting against heparin-binding epidermal growth factor-like growth factor (HB-EGF), one of the ligands of the ErbB system, in ovarian cancer therapy.
- Synergistic effects of epidermal growth factor and hepatocyte growth factor on human ovarian cancer cell invasion and migration: role of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinaseHong Y Zhou
University of Hong Kong, School of Biological Sciences, 4S 14 Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building, Hong Kong
Endocrinology 148:5195-208. 2007..However, mechanisms of invasion and metastasis in ovarian cancer remain poorly understood. Epidermal growth factor (EGF) and hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) are often both overexpressed and contribute to the growth of ..
- Fibroblast growth factor and epidermal growth factor differently affect differentiation of murine retinal stem cells in vitroFrancesca Giordano
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine, Naples, Italy
Mol Vis 13:1842-50. 2007..Similarly, RSC in culture may exhibit alternative molecular characteristics in response to different GF stimuli...
- Tissue transglutaminase is an essential participant in the epidermal growth factor-stimulated signaling pathway leading to cancer cell migration and invasionMarc A Antonyak
Department of Molecular Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 284:17914-25. 2009b>Epidermal growth factor (EGF) exerts pleiotropic effects during oncogenesis, including the stimulation of cell migration and invasiveness. Although a number of traditional signaling proteins (e.g...
- Phase II randomized controlled trial of an epidermal growth factor vaccine in advanced non-small-cell lung cancerElia Neninger Vinageras
Hospital Hermanos Ameijeiras, San Lazaro 701, PO Box 10300, Ciudad Habana, Cuba
J Clin Oncol 26:1452-8. 2008We show the result of a randomized phase II clinical trial with an epidermal growth factor (EGF)-based cancer vaccine in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients, evaluating immunogenicity, safety, and effect on survival.
- Tissue remodeling induced by hypersecreted epidermal growth factor and amphiregulin in the airway after an acute asthma attackYukinori Enomoto
Division of Molecular Cell Immunology and Allergology, Advanced Medical Research Center, Nihon University Graduate School of Medical Science, Tokyo, Japan
J Allergy Clin Immunol 124:913-20.e1-7. 2009b>Epidermal growth factor receptor ligands, such as epidermal growth factor (EGF) and amphiregulin, may play key roles in tissue remodeling in asthma...
- Role of epidermal growth factor inhibition in experimental pulmonary hypertensionBhola Kumar Dahal
Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Parkstrasse 1, 61231 Bad Nauheim, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:158-67. 2010b>Epidermal growth factor (EGF) and its receptors play a role in cell proliferation and survival and are implicated in the pathobiology of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
- Prediction and validation of the distinct dynamics of transient and sustained ERK activationSatoru Sasagawa
Undergraduate Program for Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 7:365-73. 2005..We predicted and validated that transient ERK activation depends on rapid increases of epidermal growth factor and nerve growth factor (NGF) but not on their final concentrations, whereas sustained ERK activation ..
- Xenoestrogen regulation of Leydig cellsBENSON TOKUNBO AKINGBEMI; Fiscal Year: 2010..the cell survival factor protein Akt (protein kinase B) acting in concert with estrogen receptor ER1, epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR), insulin growth factor-1 receptors (IGF-1R) and mitogen activated protein kinases (MAPK) ..
- Genetic and physiological causes of inherited Vascular and Metabolic DiseasesArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2013..The mutation, substitutes cysteine for arginine (R611C) at a highly conserved residue of the second epidermal growth factor precursor domain in the LDL receptor like protein (LRP6), which encodes a co-receptor in the Wnt ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF TRACHEAL MUCOUS GLYCOPROTEINSPi Wan Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..Expression of C2GnT-M gene can be inhibited by epidermal growth factor but enhanced by retinoic acid and Th2 cytokines...
- Bioflavonoid Effects on EGF Signaling and Cell Cycle Pathways in Prostate CancerBARRY MATTHEW MARKAVERICH; Fiscal Year: 2013..research proposal indicate that diet-derived plant bioflavonids influence the activity of genes in the epidermal growth factor (EGF) Signaling and cell cycle pathways...
- Phosphotyrosine signaling pathways controlling tracheal tube geometryKAI G ZINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..involves the loss of negative regulation by the RPTPs of three growth factor receptor TK orthologs: epidermal growth factor receptor (Egfr), Btl, and Pvr (VEGFR ortholog)...
- Histone Chaperones in AngiogenesisSoumen Paul; Fiscal Year: 2012..in endothelial cells in response to angiogenic signals, mediated by fibroblast growth factor 2 and epidermal growth factor. We also found that transcription factors ETS1 and hypoxia inducible factor 2-alpha function in a ..
- Dual-Receptor Targeted Nanoparticles for Photodynamic Therapy of Brain CancerAnn Marie Broome; Fiscal Year: 2013..to synthesize PEG-coated gold nanoparticles conjugated to Pc 4 and tethered peptide ligands for targeting epidermal growth factor (EGF) and transferrin (Tf) cell surface receptors, which are overexpressed in brain cancer cells...
- Regulation of PTHrP in Squamous Cell Carcinoma by the EGF ReceptorGWENDOLEN LORCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Her research goal is to investigate epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) kinase signaling that leads to perturbed signal transduction and increased parathyroid ..
- Evaluating Novel Multi-kinase Peptide Inhibitors as a Treatment for Rheumatoid ArDAVID MEN HWEI TSAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have isolated a novel milk peptide mixture (AX-3) that inhibits the tyrosine kinase activity of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 (VEGFR2), and insulin receptor (IR)...
- Regulation of Human Papillomavirus Replication via Cell Signaling PathwaysANASTACIA GRIEGO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Early proteins E5, E6, And E7 from oncogenic HPV types are known to regulate epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene transcription and recycling in infected cells...
- Zot, Zonulin, and Pathophysiology of Intestinal Tight JunctionsAlessio Fasano; Fiscal Year: 2013..that Zot and zonulin both induce proteinase-activated receptor 2 (PAR2)-mediated transactivation of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)...
- Theranostic Nanomedicine for Breast Cancer Prevention and Image-Guided TherapyPrakash R Rai; Fiscal Year: 2011..range from secreted cytokines, vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), to membrane bound receptors, epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR and HER2), their intracellular counterparts (intracellular VEGF ,EGFR and HER2), and the ..
- Experimental COPD: remediation, mitigationDONALD JOHN MASSARO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific aim 1a tests the hypothesis that signaling via epidermal growth factor receptor induces alveolar regeneration and increases lung tissue recoil in mice with elastase induced ..
- REGULATION OF CXC CHEMOKINE EXPRESSION BY H. PYLORIYoshio Yamaoka; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will focus on the cell surface receptors epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and G protein coupled receptor (GPCR)...
- MECHANISM OF ENDOTOXIN ABSORPTION IN ALCOHOLISMRadhakrishna Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, our studies demonstrated that epidermal growth factor (EGF) and L-glutamine prevent acetaldehyde-mediated increase in permeability to endotoxins by a PLC?, PKC?..
- Regulation of Fibronectin Matrix Assembly by uPARPAULA J MC KEOWN-LONGO; Fiscal Year: 2012..uPAR ligation results in a Src-dependent transactivation of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) which results in the formation of EGFR/1521 integrin complexes, integrin activation and ..
- microRNAs as novel biomarkers for management of breast cancerLORENZO SEMPERE; Fiscal Year: 2012..The activation status of the Estrogen Receptor (ER), Progesterone Receptor (PR) and Human Epidermal growth factor Receptor-like 2 (HER2) are the main diagnostic and prognostic factors and dictate treatment selection...
- Mechanisms of Coronary Arteriolar Dysfunction in Type 2 DiabetesKhalid Matrougui; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase, of the many factors involved in cell growth and migration has been shown ..
- COMBINATORIAL-DESIGNED NANO-PLATFORMS TO OVERCOME TUMOR DRUG RESISTANCEZhenfeng Duan; Fiscal Year: 2013..dextran-based macrostructures with fatty acids, thiol groups, poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG), and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)- targeting peptide for combinatorial self-assembly in aqueous media into nanostructures ..
- Theranostic Nanomedicine for Breast Cancer Prevention and Image-Guided TherapyPrakash R Rai; Fiscal Year: 2013..range from secreted cytokines, vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), to membrane bound receptors, epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR and HER2), their intracellular counterparts (intracellular VEGF ,EGFR and HER2), and the ..
- GPCR Signaling &Vascular Wall RemodelingGadiparthi N Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..addition, thrombin possesses the capacity to transactivate receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs), among which epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gained more attention...
- Inhibiting EGFR and ER pathways in NSCLCEdward B Garon; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposal entails evaluation of the role of the estrogen receptor (ER) pathway in combination with the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) pathway in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Chondroitin Sulfate Proteoglycan and Myelination in Intraventricular HemorrhagePraveen Ballabh; Fiscal Year: 2010..primarily produced by reactive astrocytes and are regulated by transforming growth factor-2 (TGF-2) and epidermal growth factor (EGF). CSPGs have key regulatory functions during migration, proliferation and differentiation of pre-OL...
- In vivo imaging of encapsulated stem cells in mouse models of tumor resectionKhalid A Shah; Fiscal Year: 2013..preliminary studies which indicate that a novel anti-tumor agent consisting of a secretable version of epidermal growth factor receptor targeted nanobody fused to tumor necrosis factor apoptosis inducing ligand (Enb-TRAIL), induces ..
- EGF RECEPTOR MEDIATED SIGNALING IN DROSOPHILAGERTRUD M SCHUPBACH; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): This research project investigates the mechanisms that activate the Drosophila Epidermal Growth Factor receptor (Egfr) during oogenesis, and the cellular pathways that mediate the response to this receptor ..
- MOLECULAR REGULATION OF CORNEAL WOUND HEALINGFu Shin X Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The studies in the current grant period demonstrated that epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is the key receptor tyrosine kinase activated upon wounding, and the wound-induced ..
- Immune activation by cetuximab in head and neck cancer patientsRobert L Ferris; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): There is convincing clinical evidence that the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-specific monoclonal antibody (mAb), cetuximab, is effective therapy only for a subset of advanced head and neck ..
- CYTOSKELETAL REGULATION OF VESICLE TRANSPORT IN LIVERMARK A MC NIVEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These include the transferrin receptors (TfRs), the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), and lysosomal hydrolases used in their degradation...
- Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation of the Sodium Chloride CotransporterRobert S Hoover; Fiscal Year: 2013..ERK1/2 MAPK will be examined as a central mediator of the hormonal/physiological effects of Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) and the Calcium-sensing Receptor (CaSR) on NCC...
- Regulating the Immune Microenvironment in Breast CancerLisa Marie Coussens; Fiscal Year: 2013..macrophages (TAMs) promote tumor growth and enhance pulmonary metastasis by high-level expression of epidermal growth factor (EGF) and activation of EGF-regulated signaling in mammary epithelial cells (MECs) critical for invasive ..
- Polymorphism and mutation spectrum in minorities with non-small cell lung cancerDavid P Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling pathway is important in the development, progression, and invasion of non-small ..
- Gene therapy in the corneaRAJIV RAVINDRA MOHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..We found decorin in the cornea interacts with transforming growth factor ? (TGF??), epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)...
- Alcohol and Breast CancerJia Luo; Fiscal Year: 2012..ErbB2, a member of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase family, is frequently over-expressed in human breast cancers...
- Molecular Analysis of NeoAdjuvant Platinum in Triple Negative Breast CancerMARK DANIEL contact PEGRAM; Fiscal Year: 2010..TNBC), defined by lack of expression of estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER-2), accounts for 15-20% of all breast cancers and is associated with poor clinical ..
- Brain tumors with regulatory T-cells treated with EGFRvIII-specific T-cellsJohn H Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2013..EGFRvIII is a tumor-specific mutation of the epidermal growth factor receptor that is expressed in GBMs and several other neoplasms...
- Probiotics-derived soluble proteins regulate intestinal inflammationFang Yan; Fiscal Year: 2013..on p40, a secreted protein which exerts more potent effects than p75, and have found that p40 activates epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor, an known upstream signaling pathway regulating Akt and cell survival...
- Biomarkers to Guide Treatment and Improve Survival in Oral/Oropharyngeal CancerThomas E Carey; Fiscal Year: 2012..High risk human papilloma virus type and copy number, p53 status and expression, BCLXL expression, the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), and p16...
- INTESTINAL MUCOSAL PROTECTION BY EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTORRadhakrishna Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..by inducing phosphorylation of tight junction proteins, and the protective growth factors such as epidermal growth factor prevent such cellular damage by oxidative stress...
- Modifiable lifestyle-related factors and triple negative breast cancer prognosisSARAH JEAN NECHUTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..breast cancers (TNBCs) are defined as estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 (HER2) negative...
- Cellular Determinants of Ah Receptor SignalingThomas R Sutter; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of importance, epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor (EGFR) signaling was shown to block both TCDD-AHR-mediated gene expression and cell ..
- Gene Targeted Therapy of Brain TumorsJohn H Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2010..chemotherapy in GBM and the other identifying a significant association between clinical response to epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors in patients and tumors that co-express PTEN and EGFRvIII...
- A Novel Therapy for Septic ShockXiaoling Qiang; Fiscal Year: 2011..Recent evidence shows that the opsonizing protein milk fat globule epidermal growth factor-factor VIII (MFG-E8) is involved in apoptotic cell clearance...
- Defining the CD44-STAT3 axis in the pathogenesis of triple-negative breast cancerJENNIFER ELYNN YEH; Fiscal Year: 2013..cancers (TNBCs), which do not express estrogen receptor or progesterone receptor or overexpress human epidermal growth factor-related 2 (HER2), are clinically aggressive tumors characterized by high rates of metastases and poor ..
- EGFRvIII in Pancreatic CancerManeesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 2010..Based on the preliminary findings we hypothesize that "naturally occurring epidermal growth factor receptor variant III (EGFRvIII) contributes to the pathogenesis of pancreatic adenocarcinomas"...
- Akt/mTOR Signaling in Energy Balance Modulation of Epithelial CarcinogenesisStephen D Hursting; Fiscal Year: 2013..decreases activity of Akt and mTOR, including reduced phosphorylation of the IGF-1 receptor (IGF-1R) and epidermal growth factor (EGF)-R, in several tissues including the epidermis;and ii) liver-specific IGF-1 deficiency (LID, ..
- Genetic and Molecular Mechanisms of Ethanol-Induced Developmental DefectsRACHAEL LOUISE FRENCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..and behavioral defects are due to ethanol's effects on insulin signaling, as well as effects on the epidermal growth factor receptor (EgfR) pathway...
- Targeted Therapy of Triple Negative Breast Cancer Using Theranostic NanoparticlesLily Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..First, urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (uPAR) and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) will be validated as molecular targets for targeted therapeutics using two large cohorts (..
- Development of mutant selective EGFR kinase inhibitors against EGFR T790MJohn Chant; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recently, Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs), such as gefitinib and erlotinib, have demonstrated ..
- Trafficking of the EGF receptor to the nucleus: Mechanisms and EffectsMichael H Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, the hypothesis of this FIRCA application is that the Epidermal Growth Factor receptor (EGFR), like c-met, regulates cell growth by inducing InsP3-mediated Ca2+ signals within the ..
- Protein-DNA Drug Carriers for Tumor TargetingLali K Medina-Kauwe; Fiscal Year: 2012..HER2+ breast tumors, which overexpress subunit 2 of the human epidermal growth factor receptor (HER), comprise a significant subset of breast cancers that are recalcitrant to standard methods ..
- Inflammation in the pathogenesis of lung cancerSteven M Dubinett; Fiscal Year: 2013..In fact, targeted therapy with an epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) has been shown to prolong survival in advanced non-small ..
- ASTATINE AND IODINE RADIOLABELED MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIESMichael Rod Zalutsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the emergence of the epidermal growth factor receptor variant III (EGFRvIII) as a tumor-specific molecular target on glioma and other tumors, research ..
- EGF/Gastrin for islet cell regenerationGERARDO M CASTILLO; Fiscal Year: 2010..A recent reports demonstrate that a combination therapy of Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) and gastrin increases beta cell mass and reverses hyperglycemia in diabetic mice and rats...
- Exploiting synthetic-lethal interactions to target triple-negative breast cancersDai Horiuchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..TN) breast cancer, the most difficult-to-treat form of breast cancer, which does not overexpress human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) and lacks the expression of the estrogen and progesterone receptors...
- Role of PUMA in EGFR targeted therapy in HNSCCJian Yu; Fiscal Year: 2012..More than 80% of HNSCC express high levels of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), which correlate with poor prognosis...
- Astrocyte dysfunction in EAEDavid N Irani; Fiscal Year: 2012..This activity has been mapped to their epidermal growth factor-like repeats, via binding to the neuronal a2d-1 voltage-gated calcium channel that is also a receptor for ..
- Mutant Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Signaling in Lung CancerUdayan Guha; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal focuses on lung cancer, the cancer with the highest mortality. Mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene have been associated with sensitivity of lung cancer patients to tyrosine kinase ..
- The central role of c-Met in H. pylori pathogenesis.Sarah E Keates; Fiscal Year: 2010..domain-17 (ADAM-17);and that iii) activation of ADAM-17 can mediate shedding of heparin-binding epidermal growth factor (HB-EGF) which in turn culminates in EGFR transactivation...
- Role of Reishi on cell surface proteins and signaling modulation in IBCIVETTE SUAREZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..IBC invasion remain to be fully elucidated, IBC cell lines and human tissues, overexpress E-cadherin, Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR), and Human Epidermal Growth Factor 2 (HER2) which are cell surface proteins associated ..
- Role of EGFR signaling in bone formation and the anabolic actions of PTHLing Qin; Fiscal Year: 2013..PTH strongly stimulates the expression of amphiregulin, an epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) ligand, in osteoblasts and osteocytes...
- GABA-B-R-mediated prevention of pancreatic cancerHildegard M Schuller; Fiscal Year: 2013..downstream of beta-adrenoreceptors (b-ARs) stimulates PDAC while additionally triggering the release of epidermal growth factor, vascular endothelial growth factor and arachidonic acid...
- GI PEPTIDE SIGNALING THROUGH TYROSINE PHOSPHORYLATIONJUAN ENRIQUE ROZENGURT; Fiscal Year: 2010..GPCR stimulation also induces rapid epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) transactivation...
- An immunoadhesin for treatment of hypercholesterolemiaKEITH WYCOFF; Fiscal Year: 2012..A protein fragment containing the epidermal growth factor-like repeat AB (EGF-AB) domains of the LDLR binds to PCSK9 and blocks the ability of PCSK9 to deplete ..
- Single Cell Analysis of EGFR Activity in Human Airway Cells Exposed to PollutantsRYAN MATTHEW PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2013..The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is a cell surface protein that helps regulate cell growth and response to external ..
- Bile acid-induced colon cancer cell proliferationJean Pierre Raufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..cell proliferation by interaction with M3 muscarinic receptors (M3R), thereby causing transactivation of epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR)...
- Human Choriogonadotropin Signaling in Cell ProliferationMICHAEL HUDECKI; Fiscal Year: 2003..DNA microarray technology will be employed to compare the gene expression profiles of hCG and epidermal growth factor (EGF) signaling when they interact with their respective receptors in signaling in a rat SIGC-hCG/; ..
- Nell-1, A Cbfa 1 Downstream Target, In Bone FormationKang Ting; Fiscal Year: 2009..osteoinductive molecule, long Nell-1 [LNell-1;a protein strongly expressed in neural tissue encoding epidermal growth factor (EGF)-like domain] from prematurely fusing sutures in craniosynostosis (CS) patients (Many of these ..
- Pyrophosphorolysis-activatable helicase dependent amplification assay for lung caBERTRAND LEMIEUX; Fiscal Year: 2007..Cancers over expressing the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) have been shown to increase resistance to chemotherapy, thus increasing the risk of ..
- INTESTINAL MUCOSAL PROTECTION BY EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTORRadhakrishna Rao; Fiscal Year: 2009..The outcome of these studies has a direct relevance to our understanding of the pathogenesis of many GI diseases and has the potential to contribute to the future development of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- EGFR antisense DNA added to cetuximab and radiotherapy for head and neck cancerAthanassios Argiris; Fiscal Year: 2009The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is upregulated in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) and has been associated with poor prognosis...
- Coexpression of EGFRvlll/ErbB2 in Human Breast CancerCareen Tang; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract) EGFRvIII is a tumor specific, ligand-independent, constitutively active variant of the epidermal growth factor receptor...
- ErbB1 signaling and cancer-mediated diseases of boneJohn Foley; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal will study the interface of the epidermal growth factor receptor (a growth stimulating pathway) and PTHrP (a molecule that stimulates bone destruction) in lung ..
- Prognostic and predictive gene sets in HER2-positive breast cancer:The HERA TrialBrian Leyland Jones; Fiscal Year: 2010..cancer, based on combined expression of estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2), have important implications in breast cancer etiology, systemic therapies prescribed, ..