Genomes and Genes
Summary: Porphyrins which are combined with a metal ion. The metal is bound equally to all four nitrogen atoms of the pyrrole rings. They possess characteristic absorption spectra which can be utilized for identification or quantitative estimation of porphyrins and porphyrin-bound compounds.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Postischemic cardiac recovery in heme oxygenase-1 transgenic ischemic/reperfused mouse myocardiumBela Juhasz
Department of Pharmacology, Health Science Center, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
J Cell Mol Med 15:1973-82. 2011..Immunohistochemical staining of HO-1 was intensified in HO-1 Tg compared to the NTg myocardium. Thus, the HO-1 Tg mouse model suggests a valuable therapeutic approach in the treatment of ischemic myocardium...
- Manganic porphyrins possess catalase activity and protect endothelial cells against hydrogen peroxide-mediated injuryB J Day
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 347:256-62. 1997..We tested whether these metalloporphyrins could also dismute hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and whether they could protect endothelial cells against H2O2...
- Celastrol suppresses IFN-gamma-induced ICAM-1 expression and subsequent monocyte adhesiveness via the induction of heme oxygenase-1 in the HaCaT cellsWon Yong Seo
Department of Biomedical Science and Research Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 398:140-5. 2010..These results suggest that celastrol may exert anti-inflammatory responses by suppressing IFN-gamma-induced expression of ICAM-1 and subsequent monocyte adhesion via expression of HO-1 in the keratinocytes...
- Haem homeostasis is regulated by the conserved and concerted functions of HRG-1 proteinsAbbhirami Rajagopal
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Nature 453:1127-31. 2008Haems are metalloporphyrins that serve as prosthetic groups for various biological processes including respiration, gas sensing, xenobiotic detoxification, cell differentiation, circadian clock control, metabolic reprogramming and ..
- Temporal and spatial profiles of cell loss after spinal cord injury: Reduction by a metalloporphyrinXiang Ling
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0881, USA
J Neurosci Res 85:2175-85. 2007..Our profiles provide a database for pharmacological intervention, and our results on MnTBAP treatment support an important role for antioxidant therapy in spinal cord injury...
- Cholesterol diet-induced hyperlipidemia impairs the cardioprotective effect of postconditioning: role of peroxynitriteKrisztina Kupai
Cardiovascular Research Group, Department of Biochemistry, University of Szeged, Hungary
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H1729-35. 2009..Furthermore, hyperlipidemia blocks the cardioprotective effect of postconditioning at least in part via deterioration of the postconditioning-induced early increase in peroxynitrite formation...
- Diverse functions of cationic Mn(III) N-substituted pyridylporphyrins, recognized as SOD mimicsInes Batinic-Haberle
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 51:1035-53. 2011....
- Peroxynitrite generated at the level produced by spinal cord injury induces peroxidation of membrane phospholipids in normal rat cord: reduction by a metalloporphyrinDanxia Liu
Departments of Neurology, Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0881, USA
J Neurotrauma 22:1123-33. 2005....
- Attenuation of bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis by a catalytic antioxidant metalloporphyrinT D Oury
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 25:164-9. 2001..Future studies on the oxidant mechanisms that MnTBAP is affecting in this bleomycin model of lung fibrosis may shed light on potential new therapeutic approaches for treating interstitial lung diseases...
- Red wine polyphenol-induced, endothelium-dependent NO-mediated relaxation is due to the redox-sensitive PI3-kinase/Akt-dependent phosphorylation of endothelial NO-synthase in the isolated porcine coronary arteryMamadou Ndiaye
Pharmacologie et Physico chimie des Interactions Cellulaires et Moléculaires, UMR CNRS 7034, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Louis Pasteur de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
FASEB J 19:455-7. 2005..These data demonstrate that RWPs induce the redox-sensitive activation of the PI3-kinase/Akt pathway in endothelial cells which, in turn, causes phosphorylation of eNOS, resulting in an increased formation of NO...
- A metalloporphyrin-based superoxide dismutase mimic inhibits adoptive transfer of autoimmune diabetes by a diabetogenic T-cell cloneJon D Piganelli
Department of Immunology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, Denver, Colorado, USA
Diabetes 51:347-55. 2002..Finally, this compound protected NIT-1 insulinoma cells from interleukin-1beta and alloxan cytotoxicity in vitro...
- A small molecular weight catalytic metalloporphyrin antioxidant with superoxide dismutase (SOD) mimetic properties protects lungs from radiation-induced injuryZeljko Vujaskovic
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 33:857-63. 2002..In conclusion, the novel SOD mimetic, AEOL 10113, demonstrates a significant protective effect from radiation-induced lung injury...
- Zinc protoporphyrin: A metabolite with a missionR F Labbe
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Box 359743, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Clin Chem 45:2060-72. 1999..Biochemical research techniques, both in vivo and in vitro, are described for further studies into the role of ZnPP in metabolism and physiology...
- The time course of hydroxyl radical formation following spinal cord injury: the possible role of the iron-catalyzed Haber-Weiss reactionDanxia Liu
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, 77555 0653, USA
J Neurotrauma 21:805-16. 2004..All together, we demonstrated that *OH is an endogenous secondary damaging agent following SCI and the metal-catalyzed Haber-Weiss reaction may contribute to early *OH formation after SCI...
- Differential coordination demands in Fe versus Mn water-soluble cationic metalloporphyrins translate into remarkably different aqueous redox chemistry and biologyArtak Tovmasyan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, United States
Inorg Chem 52:5677-91. 2013..coli was anticipated by both metalloporphyrins. Yet, while (H2O)2MnTE-2-PyP(5+) was fully efficacious at ≥20 μM, the Fe analogue (OH)(H2O)FeTE-2-PyP(4+) ..
- Mn (III) tetrakis (4-benzoic acid) porphyrin protects against neuronal and glial oxidative stress and death after spinal cord injuryLokanatha Valluru
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Rt 0881, Galveston, TX 77555 0881, USA
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 11:774-90. 2012..Our results demonstrated that MnTBAP combats oxidative stress, thereby attenuating all types of cell death after SCI...
- Radiation and a metalloporphyrin radioprotectant in a mouse prostate tumor modelDaila S Gridley
Departments of Radiation Medicine, Loma Linda University and Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Anticancer Res 27:3101-9. 2007..The major objectives were to determine whether a metalloporphyrin antioxidant affects prostate tumor response to radiation and identify possible mechanisms of interaction...
- Early and late administration of MnTE-2-PyP5+ in mitigation and treatment of radiation-induced lung damageBenjamin Gauter-Fleckenstein
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 48:1034-43. 2010..The radioprotective effects are presumably mediated through its ability both to suppress oxidative stress and to decrease activation of key transcription factors and proangiogenic and profibrogenic cytokines...
- Mn (III) tetrakis (4-benzoic acid) porphyrin administered into the intrathecal space reduces oxidative damage and neuron death after spinal cord injury: a comparison with methylprednisoloneJorge E Hachmeister
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0881, USA
J Neurotrauma 23:1766-78. 2006....
- Non-iron metalloporphyrins: potent antibacterial compounds that exploit haem/Hb uptake systems of pathogenic bacteriaI Stojiljkovic
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Microbiol 31:429-42. 1999A new group of potent antibacterial compounds, non-iron metalloporphyrins (MPs), is described. MPs possess a strong antibacterial activity against Gram-positive bacteria, Gram-negative bacteria and mycobacteria...
- Redox modulation protects islets from transplant-related injuryMartha M Sklavos
Division of Immunogenetics, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Rangos Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes 59:1731-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine whether redox modulation, using the catalytic antioxidant (CA), FBC-007, can improve in vivo islet function post-transplant...
- Development of an intrabiliary MR imaging-monitored local agent delivery technique: a feasibility study in pigsFeng Zhang
Image Guided Bio Molecular Intervention Research and Section of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, 815 Mercer St, Room S470, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Radiology 262:846-52. 2012..To investigate the feasibility of using magnetic resonance (MR) imaging to monitor intrabiliary delivery of motexafin gadolinium (MGd) into pig common bile duct (CBD) walls...
- Beneficial effects of FeTSPP, a peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst, in a mouse model of spinal cord injuryTiziana Genovese
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, 98100 Messina, Italy
Free Radic Biol Med 43:763-80. 2007....
- Survival and neurologic outcomes in a randomized trial of motexafin gadolinium and whole-brain radiation therapy in brain metastasesMinesh P Mehta
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department Human Oncology Radiation Oncology, 53792, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2529-36. 2003....
- Protein and DNA oxidation in spinal injury: neurofilaments--an oxidation targetM L Leski
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555-0653, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 30:613-24. 2001..Therefore, blockage of protein and DNA oxidation in the secondary injury stage may improve long-term recovery-important information for development of the SCI therapies...
- Role of free radicals and poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase-1 in the development of spinal cord injury: new potential therapeutic targetsT Genovese
IRCCS Centro Neurolesi Bonino Pulejo, Messina, Italy
Curr Med Chem 15:477-87. 2008..g. peroxynitrite decomposition catalysts, selective superoxide dismutase mimetics (SODm), PARP-1 and PARG inhibitors...
- Motexafin gadolinium: a novel redox active drug for cancer therapyDarren Magda
Pharmacyclics Inc, 995 E Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 16:466-76. 2006..The molecular target for MGd appears to be thioredoxin reductase which, when inhibited, results in cellular redox stress, cytotoxicity and an increase in tumor responsiveness to a variety of treatments...
- Metalloporphyrin-based superoxide dismutase mimic attenuates the nuclear translocation of apoptosis-inducing factor and the subsequent DNA fragmentation after permanent focal cerebral ischemia in miceByung I Lee
Department of Neurology, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Stroke 36:2712-7. 2005....
- A neuronal model of Alzheimer's disease: an insight into the mechanisms of oxidative stress-mediated mitochondrial injuryP Sompol
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Neuroscience 153:120-30. 2008..However, continuing development of neurons under oxidative damage conditions may suppress the expression of MnSOD and enhance cell death in mature neurons...
- Rapamycin induces heme oxygenase-1 in human pulmonary vascular cells: implications in the antiproliferative response to rapamycinGary A Visner
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
Circulation 107:911-6. 2003..Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) has also been shown to have graft protective effects and to inhibit vascular remodeling. In this study, we evaluated whether there is an interaction between rapamycin and HO-1...
- Binding specificity of the Porphyromonas gingivalis heme and hemoglobin receptor HmuR, gingipain K, and gingipain R1 for heme, porphyrins, and metalloporphyrinsT Olczak
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Bacteriol 183:5599-608. 2001..gingivalis HmuR protein and native gingipains for hemoglobin, hemin, various porphyrins, and metalloporphyrins as assessed by spectrophotometric assays, by affinity chromatography, and by enzyme-linked immunosorbent ..
- Homocysteine induces cell death in H9C2 cardiomyocytes through the generation of peroxynitriteSandra Levrand
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Center, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 359:445-50. 2007..These results provide the first demonstration that HCY kills cardiomyocytes through the generation of peroxynitrite and can activate key signaling cascades in the myocardium...
- Lead-in phase to randomized trial of motexafin gadolinium and whole-brain radiation for patients with brain metastases: centralized assessment of magnetic resonance imaging, neurocognitive, and neurologic end pointsMinesh P Mehta
Department of Human Oncology, Medical School, University of Wisconsin Madison, K4 334 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3445-53. 2002....
- In vitro inhibition of heme oxygenase isoenzymes by metalloporphyrinsR J Wong
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Perinatol 31:S35-41. 2011..b>Metalloporphyrins (Mps) are heme derivatives that competitively inhibit HO and thereby suppress hyperbilirubinemia...
- Optical sensor for amine vapors based on dimer-monomer equilibrium of indium(III) octaethylporphyrin in a polymeric filmWei Qin
Department of Chemistry, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1055, USA
Anal Chem 75:332-40. 2003..A simple mathematical model for the response of the amine sensor is presented and shown to predict the optical behavior observed...
- Motexafin gadolinium generates reactive oxygen species and induces apoptosis in sensitive and highly resistant multiple myeloma cellsAndrew M Evens
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 676 N St Clair, Suite 850, Chicago, IL, 60611, USA
Blood 105:1265-73. 2005..These studies provide a rationale for clinical investigation of this novel redox-mediating agent in patients with multiple myeloma and related disorders...
- The metalloporphyrin FeTPPS but not by cyclosporin A antagonizes the interaction of peroxynitrate and hydrogen peroxide on cardiomyocyte cell deathShaun S Klassen
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1M9, Canada
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 379:149-61. 2009..The ability of FeTPPS to reduce reactive nitrogen-induced cell death, and protein nitration suggests that FeTPPS is a useful agent to maintain cell viability and is better than cyclosporin in this situation...
- Angiotensin II induces the vascular expression of VEGF and MMP-2 in vivo: preventive effect of red wine polyphenolsAllison Walter
Institut Gilbert Laustriat, Département de Pharmacologie et Physicochimie, Faculte de Pharmacie, Université Louis Pasteur Strasbourg I, Illkirch, France
J Vasc Res 45:386-94. 2008..Therefore, the aim of the present study was to determine whether intake of RWPs is able to prevent these effects in rats and, if so, to characterize the underlying mechanism...
- The impact of mid-treatment MRI on defining boost volumes in the radiation treatment of glioblastoma multiformeRafael Manon
University of Wisconsin, Department of Radiation Oncology, K4 B100, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 3:303-7. 2004....
- Electrical detection of amine ligation to a metalloporphyrin via a hybrid SOI-MOSFETBharath R Takulapalli
Center for Solid State Electronics Research, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:2226-33. 2008..A transistor response to a few hundred attomoles of bound pyridine can be readily detected. This extreme sensitivity, coupled with the ability to reset the device using light, suggests that such systems might be useful as sensors...
- Mapping of the chick heme oxygenase-1 proximal promoter for responsiveness to metalloporphyrinsYing Shan
Department of Medicine, and the The Liver Biliary Pancreatic Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 399:159-66. 2002..confers up-regulation of reporter gene (luciferase) expression in the presence of heme and other selected metalloporphyrins. This new metalloporphyrin-responsive element (MPRE) was localized to a 200-bp region 3.8 to 3...
- Effects of texaphyrins on the oxygenation of EMT6 mouse mammary tumorsErling T Donnelly
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8040, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1570-6. 2004..Metallotexaphyrin compounds containing gadolinium (MGd), lutetium (MLu), europium (Eu-Tex), dysprosium (Dy-Tex), and manganese (Mn-Tex) were evaluated...
- In vitro antimalarial activity of metalloporphyrins against Plasmodium falciparumKhurshida Begum
Department of Drug Informatics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Tsushima, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
Parasitol Res 90:221-4. 2003..in vitro antimalarial activity against Plasmodium falciparum and heme polymerization were evaluated for ten metalloporphyrins: gallium protoporphyrin IX (GaPPIX), sodium salt of gallium protoporphyrin IX, silver protoporphyrin IX, ..
- Mouse spinal cord compression injury is ameliorated by intrathecal cationic manganese(III) porphyrin catalytic antioxidant therapyHuaxin Sheng
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neurosci Lett 366:220-5. 2004..However, efficacy was dependent upon route of administration suggesting that bioavailability is critical in defining efficacy...
- Imidazole metalloporphyrins as photosensitizers for photodynamic therapy: role of molecular charge, central metal and hydroxyl radical productionPawel Mroz
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Cancer Lett 282:63-76. 2009The in vitro photodynamic therapy activity of four imidazole-substituted metalloporphyrins has been studied using human (HeLa) and mouse (CT26) cancer cell lines: an anionic Zn porphyrin and a homologous series of three cationic Zn, Pd ..
- Motexafin gadolinium disrupts zinc metabolism in human cancer cell linesDarren Magda
Pharmacyclics, Inc, Sunnyvale, California, USA
Cancer Res 65:3837-45. 2005..This class of compounds may provide insight into the development of novel cancer drugs targeting control of intracellular free zinc and the roles that zinc and other metal cations play in biochemical pathways relevant to cancer...
- Hydroxyl radicals generated in the rat spinal cord at the level produced by impact injury induce cell death by necrosis and apoptosis: protection by a metalloporphyrinF Bao
Department of Neurology, 301 University Boulevard, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0653, USA
Neuroscience 126:285-95. 2004....
- Model systems for fluorescence and singlet oxygen quenching by metalloporphyrinsJason R McCarthy
Center for Molecular Imaging Research, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 149 13th St, Rm 5406, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
ChemMedChem 2:360-5. 2007..developed a model system to systematically investigate the excited-state quenching ability of a number of metalloporphyrins. Central metal ions that prefer four-coordinate, square planar orientations (Ag(II), Cu(II), Ni(II), Pd(II), ..
- Aura of corrolesIris Aviv-Harel
Schulich Faculty of Chemistry, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
Chemistry 15:8382-94. 2009..The main examples that are emphasized regarding the above respect are catalysis, imaging, and aspects relevant to drug development...
- Interactions of water-soluble metalloporphyrins with nucleic acids studied by resonance Raman spectroscopyJ H Schneider
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53233
Nucleic Acids Res 16:10323-38. 1988....
- Intracellular localization of the radiation enhancer motexafin gadolinium using interferometric Fourier fluorescence microscopyK W Woodburn
Pharmacyclics Inc, Sunnyvale, California, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 297:888-94. 2001..Interferometric Fourier fluorescence microscopy is a potentially powerful tool in delineating and verifying localization sites of therapeutic agents...
- Mechanism of inhibition of ribonucleotide reductase with motexafin gadolinium (MGd)Farnaz Zahedi Avval
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 379:775-9. 2009..These data can elucidate an important effect of MGd on the cancer cells with overproduction of RNR and its efficacy as an anticancer agent and not only as a general radiosensitizer...
- The antioxidant mimetic, MnTE-2-PyP, reduces intracellular growth of Mycobacterium abscessusRebecca E Oberley-Deegan
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 41:170-8. 2009..A mechanism of bacterial growth inhibition by MnTE-2-PyP was then elucidated. It was found that MnTE-2-PyP promoted the survival of infected THP-1 cells and increased fusion of M. abscessus-containing phagosomes with lysosomes...
- Decreased hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury by manganese-porphyrin complexesTzong Jin Wu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Free Radic Res 41:127-34. 2007Reactive oxygen and nitrogen species have been implicated in ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury. Metalloporphyrins (MP) are stable catalytic antioxidants that can scavenge superoxide, hydrogen peroxide, peroxynitrite and lipid peroxyl ..
- Effect of a metalloporphyrin antioxidant (MnTE-2-PyP) on the response of a mouse prostate cancer model to radiationAdeola Y Makinde
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Loma Linda University and Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Anticancer Res 29:107-18. 2009..The major objectives were to evaluate the effects of Mn (III) tetrakis (N-ethylpyridinium-2-yl) porphyrin (MnTE-2-PyP) on tumor response to radiation and to explore mechanisms responsible for the observed effects...
- Metalloporphyrins inactivate caspase-3 and -8Signe B Blumenthal
Department of Pharmacy, Center of Drug Research, University of Munich, Germany
FASEB J 19:1272-9. 2005..Different metalloporphyrins representing inducers and inhibitors of this enzyme are often used, followed by assessment of apoptotic cell ..
- Metalloporphyrins, used for HO-1 inhibition, themselves affect hepatic microcirculation, liver function, and hepatocellular integrityStefan Scheingraber
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Pediatric Surgery, University of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Microcirculation 16:355-63. 2009b>Metalloporphyrins (MPs) are broadly used in the studies of the role of the heme oxygenase (HO)-1 system in different stress models. However, possible side effects of the MP administration itself have to be further investigated.
- Metalloporphyrins in the management of neonatal hyperbilirubinemiaDavid K Stevenson
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 15:164-8. 2010..Preventing the production of excess bilirubin may be a more logical approach. Synthetic heme analogs, metalloporphyrins, are competitive inhibitors of heme oxygenase, the rate-limiting enzyme in bilirubin production, and their ..
- Heme synthase (ferrochelatase) catalyzes the removal of iron from heme and demetalation of metalloporphyrinsShigeru Taketani
Department of Biotechnology, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Japan
Biochemistry 46:15054-61. 2007..Metal ions such as zinc and cobalt were also removed from the corresponding metalloporphyrins. The addition of zinc ions led to the formation of zinc protoporphyrin...
- Reduction of manganese porphyrins by flavoenzymes and submitochondrial particles: a catalytic cycle for the reduction of peroxynitriteGerardo Ferrer-Sueta
Laboratorio de Fisicoquímica Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo 11400, Uruguay
Free Radic Biol Med 41:503-12. 2006..The data presented here serve to rationalize the pharmacological action of MnPorphyrins as peroxynitrite reduction catalysts in vivo and opens avenues for the development of MnPorphyrins to protect mitochondria from oxidative damage...
- Metalloporphyrins improve the survival of Sod2-deficient neuronsManisha N Patel
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center Denver, CO 80262, USA
Aging Cell 2:219-22. 2003..Furthermore, Sod2-deficient neuronal cultures provide a simple model system to screen the biological efficacy of mitochondrial antioxidants...
- Formation kinetics of insulin-based amyloid gels and the effect of added metalloporphyrinsRobert F Pasternack
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA
Biophys J 90:1033-42. 2006..The influence of added metalloporphyrins on the rate and extent of gel formation is described...
- Peroxynitrite generated in the rat spinal cord induces oxidation and nitration of proteins: reduction by Mn (III) tetrakis (4-benzoic acid) porphyrinFeng Bao
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0653, USA
J Neurosci Res 71:220-7. 2003..7 for DNP and 0.2 for Ntyr). These results further demonstrate peroxynitrite-induced protein oxidation and nitration and the efficiency of MnTBAP in scavenging peroxynitrite...
- Nanofibrous and nanotubular supports for the immobilization of metalloporphyrins as oxidation catalystsShirley Nakagaki
Universidade Federal do Parana, Departamento de Quimica, CP 19081, CEP 81531990, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
J Colloid Interface Sci 315:142-57. 2007..and synthetic, are important alternative matrices for the immobilization of metallocomplexes, especially metalloporphyrins, as oxidation catalysts...
- SOD-like activity of Mn(II) beta-octabromo-meso-tetrakis(N-methylpyridinium-3-yl)porphyrin equals that of the enzyme itselfGilson DeFreitas-Silva
Departamento de Quimica, ICEx, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627, Pampulha, Belo Horizonte, MG 31270 901, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 477:105-12. 2008....
- High-resolution MRI of deep-seated atherosclerotic arteries using motexafin gadoliniumChris Brushett
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 27:246-50. 2008..To evaluate the potential of using motexafin gadolinium (MGd) to characterize atherosclerotic plaques of deep-seated arteries with MRI...
- Fe L- and K-edge XAS of low-spin ferric corrole: bonding and reactivity relative to low-spin ferric porphyrinRosalie K Hocking
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Inorg Chem 48:1678-88. 2009..These differences decrease the bonding interactions with axial ligands and contribute to the increased axial ligand lability and reactivity of ferric corroles relative to ferric porphyrins...
- Probing the mechanism of insulin aggregation with added metalloporphyrinsScott P Sibley
Department of Chemistry, Goucher College, Baltimore, Maryland 21204, USA
Biochemistry 47:2858-65. 2008..the correlation between observed kinetics and amyloid structure for various concentration ranges of added metalloporphyrins. Observed structures include fibrils as well as circular, ring-like structures formed as a result of the ..
- Radioprotective effect of a metalloporphyrin compound in rat eye modelX W Mao
Department of Radiation Medicine, Molecular Radiation Biology Laboratories, Loma Linda University and Medical Center, Loma Linda, California, USA
Curr Eye Res 34:62-72. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of the antioxidant Mn (III) tetrakis (N-ethylpyridinium-2-yl) porphyrin (MnTE-2-PyP) in protecting ocular tissue and retinal microvasculature from radiation damage...
- Long-range charge transport through double-stranded DNA mediated by manganese or iron porphyrinsMagdalena Makarska
Laboratoire de Chimie de Coordination du CNRS, 205 route de Narbonne, 31077 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Biol Inorg Chem 13:973-9. 2008..Long-range charge transport is likely to be a universal mechanism for any two-electron oxidant acting by electron abstraction provided that the second electron abstraction is slower than hole transfer...
- Preserving charge and oxidation state of Au(III) ions in an agent-functionalized nanocrystal model systemStefan Müllegger
Institute of Semiconductor and Solid State Physics, Centre for Nanobionics and Photochemical Sciences CNPS, Johannes Kepler University, 4040 Linz, Austria
ACS Nano 5:6480-6. 2011....
- Pharmacokinetics of the potent redox-modulating manganese porphyrin, MnTE-2-PyP(5+), in plasma and major organs of B6C3F1 miceIvan Spasojevic
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical School, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 45:943-9. 2008..The calculated pharmacokinetic parameters will be used to design optimal dosing regimens in future preclinical studies utilizing this and similar compounds...
- Triplet photophysics of gold(III) porphyrinsMattias P Eng
Department of Chemistry and Bioscience, Chalmers University of Technology, SE 412 96 Goteborg, Sweden
J Phys Chem A 109:1776-84. 2005....
- Gold(III) porphyrin 1a inhibited nasopharyngeal carcinoma metastasis in vivo and inhibited cell migration and invasion in vitroChing Tung Lum
Department of Chemistry and Open Laboratory of Chemical Biology of the Institute of Molecular Technology for Drug Discovery and Synthesis, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
Cancer Lett 294:159-66. 2010..Consistently, in in vitro studies, gold-1a inhibited migration and invasion of C666-1 human NPC cells. The data strongly support the use of gold(III) compounds to treat cancer metastasis...
- Symmetry and bonding in metalloporphyrins. A modern implementation for the bonding analyses of five- and six-coordinate high-spin iron(III)-porphyrin complexes through density functional calculation and NMR spectroscopyRu Jen Cheng
Department of Chemistry, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan 402, Republic of China
J Am Chem Soc 125:6774-83. 2003....
- Aggregation and supramolecular chirality of achiral amphiphilic metalloporphyrinsWei Yu
School of Material Science and Chemical Engineering, Harbin Engineering University, Harbin 150001, PR China
J Colloid Interface Sci 326:460-4. 2008..All the metalloporphyrins showed good spreading behavior on water surface and can be transferred onto solid substrates...
- Fluidity of liposome membranes doped with metalloporphyrins: an ESR studyDariusz Man
Institute of Physics, Opole University, Oleska 48, 45 052 Opole, Poland
Z Naturforsch C 63:440-4. 2008..25 and 50 h, most probably due to hydration of the hydrophilic part of the membrane...
- Inhibition of mitochondrial hydrogen peroxide production by lipophilic metalloporphyrinsPablo R Castello
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4200 East Ninth Ave, School of Pharmacy, C238, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324:970-6. 2008..b>Metalloporphyrins are a class of catalytic antioxidants that are capable of detoxifying a wide range of reactive oxygen ..
- Interfacial molecular assemblies of metalloporphyrins with two trans or one axial ligandsPingping Yao
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Science, CAS Key Laboratory of Colloid, Interface and Chemical Thermodynamics, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P R China
Chemphyschem 11:722-9. 2010Molecular assemblies of metalloporphyrins trans-dichloro(5,10,15,20-tetra-p-tolylporphyrinato)tin(IV) (SnCl2TPPMe) and trans-dihydroxo(5,10,15,20-tetra-p-tolylporphyrinato)tin(IV) (Sn(OH)2TPPMe), which have two trans axial ligands, as ..
- Effects of non-iron metalloporphyrins on growth and gene expression of Porphyromonas gingivalisHideharu Yukitake
Division of Microbiology and Oral Infection, Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 55:141-53. 2011..Non-iron metalloporphyrins, In-PPIX and Ga-PPIX, were examined for antibacterial effects on P. gingivalis...
- DNA interactions and photocatalytic strand cleavage by artificial nucleases based on water-soluble gold(III) porphyrinsMartin Haeubl
Institut fur Organische Chemie, Johannes Kepler Universität Linz JKU, Altenberger Str 69, 4040 Linz, Austria
J Biol Inorg Chem 14:1037-52. 2009..The potential of the novel water-soluble cationic metallointercalator complex [Au(III)(TMPy3Pyr1P)]Cl4 to serve as a catalytic photonuclease for the cleavage of DNA has been demonstrated...
- Early intervention of tyrosine nitration prevents vaso-obliteration and neovascularization in ischemic retinopathyMohammed A Abdelsaid
Program in Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 332:125-34. 2010..Early inhibition of tyrosine nitration with use of epicatechin or NAC can represent safe and effective vascular-protective agents in ischemic retinopathy...
- Potent metalloporphyrin peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst protects against the development of doxorubicin-induced cardiac dysfunctionPal Pacher
Inotek Pharmaceuticals Corp, Beverly, Mass 01915, USA
Circulation 107:896-904. 2003....
- Metalloporphyrins are potent inhibitors of lipid peroxidationB J Day
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 26:730-6. 1999The objectives of these studies were to determine whether metalloporphyrins could inhibit lipid peroxidation, characterize factors that influence their potency and compare their potency to prototypical antioxidants...
- Neuroprotection from delayed postischemic administration of a metalloporphyrin catalytic antioxidantG B Mackensen
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 21:4582-92. 2001..This was associated with decreased postischemic superoxide-mediated oxidative stress...
- A novel neurological phenotype in mice lacking mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutaseS Melov
Center for Molecular Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Nat Genet 18:159-63. 1998..Consequently, MnTBAP-treated Sod2tm1Cje(-/-) mice may provide an excellent model for examining the relationship between free radicals and neurodegenerative diseases and for screening new drugs to treat these disorders...
- Neurocognitive function and progression in patients with brain metastases treated with whole-brain radiation and motexafin gadolinium: results of a randomized phase III trialChristina A Meyers
Department of Neuro Oncology, Unit 431, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:157-65. 2004....
- Inhibition of airway inflammation and hyperreactivity by an antioxidant mimeticLing Yi Chang
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 33:379-86. 2002..These results suggest that oxidative stress is an important factor in the pathogenesis of asthma and that a synthetic catalytic antioxidant could be effective in the treatment of asthma...
- Preservation of human islet cell functional mass by anti-oxidative action of a novel SOD mimic compoundRita Bottino
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Immunogenetics, Diabetes Institute, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Rangos Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Diabetes 51:2561-7. 2002..The ability to preserve functional islets without a dramatic loss represents a major advantage considering the scarce availability of islet tissue for clinical transplantation...
- Superoxide dismutase mimetic reduces hypoxia-induced O2*-, TGF-beta, and VEGF production by macrophagesIsabel L Jackson
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Res 41:8-14. 2007....
- Gold(III) compound is a novel chemocytotoxic agent for hepatocellular carcinomaChing Tung Lum
Department of Chemistry and Open Laboratory of Chemical Biology of the Institute of Molecular Technology for Drug Discovery and Synthesis, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Int J Cancer 118:1527-38. 2006..Results from our study demonstrated that gold-1a might be a novel promising chemocytotoxic agent for treating HCC...
- A mechanism-based antioxidant approach for the reduction of skin carcinogenesisYunfeng Zhao
Graduate Center for Toxicology and Department of Radiation Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Cancer Res 65:1401-5. 2005..Remarkably, the incidence and multiplicity of skin tumors were reduced in mice that received MnTE-2-PyP(5+) before cell proliferation. These results show a novel strategy for an antioxidant approach to cancer intervention...
- Principle and mechanism of direct porphyrin metalation: joint experimental and theoretical investigationTatyana E Shubina
Computer Chemie Centrum, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Nagelsbachstrasse 25, Erlangen, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 129:9476-83. 2007..For metalation with Zn, we calculated a barrier of the first hydrogen transfer step of 32.6 kcal mol(-1), in good agreement with the overall experimental activation energy of 31 kcal mol(-1)...
- Neuroprotective efficacy and therapeutic time window of peroxynitrite decomposition catalysts in focal cerebral ischemia in ratsMeenakshisundaram Thiyagarajan
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, S A S Nagar, Mohali, Punjab, India
Br J Pharmacol 142:899-911. 2004....
- Peroxynitrite scavenging by metalloporphyrins and thiolatesJ P Crow
Departments of Anesthesiology, and Pharmacology Toxicology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 28:1487-94. 2000..Sacrificial thiol/thiolate scavengers effectively quench the total oxidative yield of peroxynitrite, whereas the catalytic porphyrins redirect it and can, under some conditions, enhance total nitration and oxidative yield...
- Systemic effects of orally-administered zinc and tin (IV) metalloporphyrins on heme oxygenase expression in miceIchiro Morioka
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5208, USA
Pediatr Res 59:667-72. 2006Some metalloporphyrins (Mps) inhibit heme oxygenase (HO), the rate-limiting enzyme in the production of bilirubin, and are potential compounds for the treatment of neonatal jaundice...
- Design and synthesis of manganese porphyrins with tailored lipophilicity: investigation of redox properties and superoxide dismutase activityDorothee Lahaye
Department of Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 15:7066-86. 2007..The influence of the substituents on the Mn(III)/Mn(II) reduction potentials has been characterized, and the superoxide dismutase activity of the compounds has been examined...
- Role of oxidative stress in multiparity-induced endothelial dysfunctionHuda E Tawfik
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Department of Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1736-42. 2008..53+/-0.1 protein/actin vs. virgins: 1.0+/-0.14 protein/actin). These data suggest that multiparity induces endothelial dysfunction through decreased NO bioavailability and increased reactive oxygen species formation...
- Synthesis of symmetrical tetraaryltetranaphtho[2,3]porphyrinsOlga S Finikova
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Org Chem 70:4617-28. 2005..The X-ray crystallographic data suggest that these spectral shifts are caused not by the differences in nonplanar distortions of the macrocycles but by the purely electronic effects of the substituents...
- Regulation of ionizing radiation-induced apoptosis by a manganese porphyrin complexJin Hyup Lee
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University, Taegu 702 701, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 334:298-305. 2005..This study indicates that MnTMPyP may play an important role in regulating the apoptosis induced by ionizing radiation presumably through scavenging of reactive oxygen species...
- Emerging applications of phosphorescent metalloporphyrinsDmitri B Papkovsky
Biochemistry Department ABCRF, University College Cork, College Road, Cork, Ireland
J Fluoresc 15:569-84. 2005The subject of phosphorescent metalloporphyrins is reviewed, focusing mainly on the development and application of Pt- and Pd-porphyrins...
- Anti HCV Protease Activities of MetalloporphyrinsWarren N Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Metalloporphyrins (MPs) such as heme and heme oxidation products such as biliverdin potently inhibit HCV NS3/4a protease...
- Molecular Probes of the Mechanisms of Cytocrhome P450JOHN TAYLOR GROVES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Other metalloporphyrins have emerged as effective biomimics of P450 action, alowing the facile production of useful quantities of ..
- Effect of Heme on mRNA and miRNA ProfilesHerbert L Bonkovsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that heme and other metalloporphyrins regulate ALAS1, HMBS and HMOX1 expression by altering selected microRNAs and mRNA profiles Our specific aims ..
- Polymer Membrane Ion/Gas/Polyion Sensors: New FrontiersMark E Meyerhoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..film technology can be employed for similar measurements;2) further optimize the utility of rhodium(III) metalloporphyrins as ionophores in polymeric films for developing highly selective electrochemical and optical sensors for ..
- A VOC Dosimeter Based On A Colorimetric Sensor ArrayKenneth S Suslick; Fiscal Year: 2010..These are inexpensive, disposable sensor arrays based on equilibrium interactions of analytes with metalloporphyrins and other chemically responsive dyes...
- REGULATION OF HEPATIC HEME METABOLISMHERBERT BONKOVSKY; Fiscal Year: 2009..perturbations, including oxidative stress, heat shock, transition metals, heavy metals, heme, and other metalloporphyrins. There is growing evidence that HO-1 (also called heat shock protein 32) plays a key role in protecting ..
- HEME PROTEINS, MICROSPHERES AND SYNTHETIC ANALOGSKENNETH SUSLICK; Fiscal Year: 2004..The chemical reactivities of interest include ligand and peptide binding to heme proteins and metalloporphyrins, oxygen activation and hydrocarbon oxidation by metalloporphyrins, and the interactions between porphyrins ..
- BIOSYNTHETIC INTERMEDIATES OF PORPHYRINSBenjamin Frydman; Fiscal Year: 1990..These studies are important in view of the fact that porphyrins and metalloporphyrins are increasingly being used as therapeutic, diagnostic and as phototherapeutic agents...
- REGULATION OF HEME OXYGENASE IN NEONATAL ANIMALSDavid Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Metalloporphyrins (Mps), heme analogs, are clinically relevant inhibitors of HO enzyme activity, but some Mps have also been ..
- TRANSITION METAL ORGANOIMIDO PORPHYRINSJOANNE SMIEJA; Fiscal Year: 1990..The study of these model metalloporphyrins may provide needed information for bio-inorganic chemistry. This proposal will proceed in three stages...
- STRUCTURE AND MECHANISM OF PROSTAGLANDIN H2 SYNTHASEPATRICK LOLL; Fiscal Year: 2002..deficient forms of PGHS (using chemical modification techniques and/or reconstitution with non-iron metalloporphyrins. Comparison of these structures with that of the peroxidase competent form of the enzyme will contribute to ..
- Heme Acquisition in Shigella Dysenteriae.Angela Wilks; Fiscal Year: 2005..The redox nature of heme transport will also be investigated with redox inactive non-iron metalloporphyrins such as Co and Zn-protoporphyrin IX...
- Reactions of N-Nitroso Compounds with HemeGEORGE RICHTER ADDO; Fiscal Year: 2007..complexes of metalloporphyrins. We are now entering the second major phase of our study to develop the representative reaction chemistry of ..
- APPROACHES TO DESIGNED METALLOPROTEINSDavid Benson; Fiscal Year: 2000..which are either covalently attached to a metalloporphyrin scaffold, or which form complexes with exogenous metalloporphyrins or transition metal ions...
- NITROSYL AND NITROSO COMPLEXES OF METALLOPORPHYRINSGEORGE RICHTER ADDO; Fiscal Year: 2000..No such studies have been done previously. Thus, the preparation of a series of NO complexes of metalloporphyrins (of varying electron-donating ability) and metallochlorins of some late first-row transition metals (Mn, Fe, ..
- Nanosensor probes for oxygen imaging in vivoDavid Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2009..The near-infrared absorbing luminescent metalloporphyrins will act as the actual sensors for oxygen...
- POLYMER MEMBRANE ION/POLYION SENSORS--NEW FRONTIERSMARK MEYERHOFF; Fiscal Year: 2001..Beyond further studies of polyion sensing films, research on the use of metalloporphyrins as membrane active components in the development of new anion selective sensors will continue, specifically ..
- TANDEM MASS SPECTROMETER FOR BIOMOLECULAR ANALYSISGlenn Dryhurst; Fiscal Year: 1999..brain chemistry, identification of bacterial siderophores, determination of physical binding donors to metalloporphyrins containing Ru or Os, determination of the binding site for interaction of protein and RNA nucleotide, and ..
- MECHANISMS OF BIOLOGICAL REDOX REACTIONS OF COPPERJames Hurst; Fiscal Year: 1980..solutions, (2) the effect of increasing pi-unsaturation in organic ligands upon Cu(I) reduction of metalloporphyrins and other transition metal oxidants, (3) internal electron transfer reactions between redox components of ..
- PORPHYRINS AS MICROBICIDES FOR PREVENTION OF STDS/HIVRichard Compans; Fiscal Year: 2003..Luigi Marzilli and Dabney Dixon will synthesize, purify, and characterize porphyrins and metalloporphyrins for biological studies in projects and will support the biological studies with biophysical and analytical ..
- Hangman Metalloporphyrins as Heme Hydroperoxidase ModelsJAKE SOPER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results of these studies will complement others' current work in this area on enzymatic systems. ..
- TEMPLATE-MEDIATED BIOMINERALIZATION OF HEMOZOINDAVID SEYBERT; Fiscal Year: 2000..critical for the interactions between heme substrate and nucleating domain by using topologically defined metalloporphyrins and related complexes as probes...
- CORE ABSORPTION SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOPORPHYRINSRobert Hayes; Fiscal Year: 1980It is proposed to study the spectra of a number of iron series transition element compounds, especially metalloporphyrins, in the region of M11,111 absorption...
- Biomimetic Studies of NO-binding Respiratory Chain HemesJAMES COLLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..An emphasis will be placed on kinetic and mechanistic studies to elucidate the putitive reaction pathways of CcO and NOR. ..
- Functional active-site models of cytochrome c oxidaseJAMES COLLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..The role that the copper ion (CuB) and a phenolic group, in the amino acid tyrosine (Tyr244) play in the catalytic function of CcO are of particular interest. ..
- Neuroprotection by a metalloporphyrin in spinal injuryDanxia Liu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The immunohistochemical stained cells will be counted to determine the effect of MnTBAP on cell death. The therapeutic potential of MnTBAP will be assessed by behavioral tests. ..
- Role of Oxidatve Stress in Chronic Beryllium DiseaseBrian Day; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies have the potential to further define the etiology of CBD, risk factors, and suggest novel approaches to prevent and treat this disease. ..
- Improving Cancer Outcome--Adaptive Helical TomotherapyMinesh Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our Program Project will allow Tomotherapy to reach a level of scientific and technological maturity where, in the future, technological intercomparisons through Phase III trials may be undertaken. ..
- NABTC (UCSF PROJECT LEADER) U OF WISCONSINMinesh Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glutathione transport, oxidative stress and lung injuryBrian Day; Fiscal Year: 2007..Catalytic antioxidant metalloporphyrins and inhaled GSH are employed to reduce oxidant burden and correct the exaggerated pulmonary oxidative injury ..
- OXIDATION OF MACROMOLECULES IN SPINAL CORD INJURYDanxia Liu; Fiscal Year: 2001..This will directly test whether free radicals damage neurons by inducing oxidation of major cell components and will provide strategies for therapy. ..
- Cerebral Hemorrhage Model: Mechanisms and TreatmentsKenneth Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Heme Uptake and Transport in Caco-2 CellsAliye Uc; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. hereditary hemochromatosis, iron overload secondary to blood transfusions) and explore the role of intestinal epithelial cell bi-directional heme movement on the regulation of iron stores. ..
- Characterization of Pancreatic Disease in a Novel Porcine Cystic Fibrosis ModelAliye Uc; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this application is to fully characterize pancreatic involvement in our novel CF pig model and to better understand the pathophysiological mechanisms leading to PI in CF. ..
- Regulation of heme uptake in intestinal epithelial cellsAliye Uc; Fiscal Year: 2007..heme uptake pathways will have a great impact in understanding disorders associated with iron overload (hereditary hemochromatosis, iron overload secondary to blood transfusions) and nutritional iron deficiency [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst:diabetic neuropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in diabetic nephropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Multifunctional Nanoparticles for Intracellular DeliveryStefan Franzen; Fiscal Year: 2006..5. Develop strategies for covalent attachment of proteins and oligonucleotides to nanoparticles. 6. Determine of the efficiency of regulated in vitro protein expression using a well-characterized model system. ..
- MUSCLE CAPILLARY GEOMETRY, FLOW, AND OXYGEN TRANSFERDavid Poole; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MYOCARDIAL PRESERVATION DURING ISCHEMIC ARRESTDIPAK DAS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Ischemic heart disease represent the major cardiovascular related problems. Straitegies to reduce ischemic injury should improve the heart health leading to the reduction of death due to heart diseases. ..
- ACUTE RENAL FAILURE--IMPACT OF FLUORINATED ANESTHETICSRICHARD ZAGER; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Molecular Signals Against Beta-AR-Stimulated ApoptosisKrishna Singh; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will advance our understanding of the signaling pathways activated by stimulation of beta-AR and Beta1 integrin, and their role in the regulation of cardiac myocyte apoptosis and myocardial remodeling. ..
- Therapeutic Use of Heme Analogs: Absorption in IntestineDavid Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Heme analogs, metalloporphyrins (Mps), are potent competitive inhibitors of HO enzyme activity...
- Chromium Mesoporphyrin in the Prevention of Neonatal JaundiceDavid K Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Heme analogs, metalloporphyrins (Mps), are potent competitive inhibitors of HO enzyme activity...
- EFFECTOR MOLECULES IN DEMYELINATING DISEASEAnne Cross; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since there now have been identified pharmaceutic agents which can inhibit the production of PN, our findings from these studies may indicate an area with therapeutic potential for MS. ..
- HEMOGLOBIN UTILIZATION AND VIRULENCE OF MENINGOCOCCIIgor Stojiljkovic; Fiscal Year: 2002..meningitidis. Finally, understanding Hb-iron acquisition systems may assist scientists in design of a new family of Hb-based blood substitutes that do not increase the risk of infection by Hb-utilizing bacteria. ..
- Effects of Statins on Heme Oxygenase-1 RegulationDavid Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2008..to delineate the role of HO-1 as a novel therapeutic target for statins and mediator of protective effects under conditions of insuffi- cient HO-1 expression such as pre-eclampsia and other pregnancy-related disorders ..
- GENE REGULATION DURING INTERMITTENT HYPOXIANanduri Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- THE ROLE OF B CELLS IN EAE PATHOGENESISAnne Cross; Fiscal Year: 2004..Methods to alter in humans the number and function of B cells and Abs already exist, making our results potentially applicable to MS therapy. ..
- PARS INHIBITOR FOR THE THERAPY OF CIRCULATORY SHOCKLudmila Belayev; Fiscal Year: 2003..The current project will enable the applicants to move forward in two years, near to the level of the beginning of Phase II efficacy trial in septic patients. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not Available ..
- Redox Control of Radiation ResponseJohn Biaglow; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, we hope to develop specific strategies for modifying thiol redox homeostasis in vivo, to make human tumors more sensitive to ionizing radiation. ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL OXIDATIVE STRESS AND NEURODEGENERATIONSimon Melov; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Improving Survival For Small-For-Size Liver GraftsZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work will develop mechanism-based strategies to increase the use and improve the outcome of partial livers for transplantation in the clinic. ..
- Mobilization of Candida albicans BiofilmsPeter Suci; Fiscal Year: 2007..albicans biofilm communities, it will provide the basis for development of methods for screening for adjuvant agents that will inhibit dissemination of these fungal infections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Medicinal Inorganic Chemistry ACS Symposium F-2003Jonathan Sessler; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is thus expected that the present MIC-ACS symposium will afford a unique opportunity to develop further growth in a field of study that is rich in opportunity and central to the NIH mission. ..
- Novel preservation fluid for organ transplantationJon Mabley; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Development of neuromuscular junctions in children with cerebral palsyRobert Akins; Fiscal Year: 2008..The PIs study these interactions in order to develop therapies and treatments that will improve and sustain the physical ability and health of patients with CP. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adenosine-3 agonists for the suppression of arthritisCsaba Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2003..A novel A3 receptor agonist may represent a useful anti-inflammatory adjunct to current therapeutic regimens; funding of the current SBIR Phase II will allow for starting human safety trials in 2 years. ..
- iNOS Posttranslational Regulation in Cardiac RejectionGALEN PIEPER; Fiscal Year: 2009..A better understanding of this molecular process may lead to better strategies to prevent injury cardiac cells in these patients. ..
- Retinal Image Quality in Retinal-diseased EyesMahnaz Shahidi; Fiscal Year: 2010....