Genomes and Genes
interferon alfa 2a
Summary: A recombinant alfa interferon consisting of 165 amino acids with lysine at position 23 and histidine at position 34. It is used extensively as an antiviral and antineoplastic agent.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a randomised trialM P Manns
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical School of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Lancet 358:958-65. 2001..In this randomised trial, peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin was compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin...
- Peginterferon-alpha2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin doseStephanos J Hadziyannis
Department of Medicine and Hepatology, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ann Intern Med 140:346-55. 2004..Treatment with pegylated interferon (peginterferon) and ribavirin for 48 weeks is more effective than conventional interferon and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Early virologic response to treatment with peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis CGary L Davis
Division of Hepatology, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Hepatology 38:645-52. 2003..Patients who fail to achieve EVR will not clear virus even if an additional 9 months of therapy is received. Therapy can be confidently discontinued in those cases...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a in patients with chronic hepatitis CS Zeuzem
Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
N Engl J Med 343:1666-72. 2000..We compared the clinical effects of a regimen of peginterferon alfa-2a with those of a regimen of interferon alfa-2a in the initial treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- A randomized, double-blind trial comparing pegylated interferon alfa-2b to interferon alfa-2b as initial treatment for chronic hepatitis CK L Lindsay
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Hepatology 34:395-403. 2001..The higher rate of virologic response during treatment with 1.5 microg/kg peginterferon alfa-2b in patients infected with genotype 1 and high viral levels warrants further evaluation...
- Predictors of response of US veterans to treatment for the hepatitis C virusLisa I Backus
Center for Quality Management in Public Health, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California, USA
Hepatology 46:37-47. 2007..Few of these factors affect the rate for genotype 2 patients, and even fewer do so for genotype 3 patients...
- Randomized phase II trial of first-line treatment with sorafenib versus interferon Alfa-2a in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinomaBernard Escudier
Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 27:1280-9. 2009....
- Interferon (IFN)-gamma-inducible protein-10: association with histological results, viral kinetics, and outcome during treatment with pegylated IFN-alpha 2a and ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infectionAna I Romero
Department of Virology, , , Sweden
J Infect Dis 194:895-903. 2006..CONCLUSION: Baseline IP-10 levels are predictive of the response to HCV treatment...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infectionMichael W Fried
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
N Engl J Med 347:975-82. 2002....
- Acute hepatitis C: high rate of both spontaneous and treatment-induced viral clearanceJ Tilman Gerlach
Medical Department II, Klinikum Grosshadern and Institute for Immunology, Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Gastroenterology 125:80-8. 2003..The aim of this study was to define the natural course of the disease and to contribute to the development of treatment strategies for acute hepatitis C virus...
- Peginterferon alpha-2a (40 kDa): an advance in the treatment of hepatitis B e antigen-positive chronic hepatitis BW G E Cooksley
Royal Brisbane Hospital, Herston, Queensland, Australia
J Viral Hepat 10:298-305. 2003..These results indicate that peginterferon alpha-2a (40 kDa) is superior in efficacy to conventional interferon alpha-2a in chronic hepatitis B based on clearance of HBeAg, suppression of HBV DNA, and normalization of ALT...
- Peginterferon-alfa2a plus ribavirin for 48 versus 72 weeks in patients with detectable hepatitis C virus RNA at week 4 of treatmentJose M Sanchez-Tapias
Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 131:451-60. 2006..This study investigated whether treatment for 72 weeks increases the rate of SVR in patients with detectable hepatitis C virus (HCV)-RNA levels at week 4 of treatment...
- Side effects of therapy for chronic hepatitis CMark W Russo
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Gastroenterology 124:1711-9. 2003
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in Latino and non-Latino whites with hepatitis CMaribel Rodriguez-Torres
Fundacion de Investigacion de Diego, San Juan, Puerto Rico
N Engl J Med 360:257-67. 2009..We evaluated the effect of Latino ethnic background on the response to treatment with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in patients infected with HCV genotype 1 who had not been treated previously...
- Peginterferon and ribavirin for chronic hepatitis CJay H Hoofnagle
Liver Disease Research Branch, Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2444-51. 2006
- A randomized, prospective trial of ribavirin 400 mg/day versus 800 mg/day in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a in hepatitis C virus genotypes 2 and 3Peter Ferenci
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Hepatology 47:1816-23. 2008..CONCLUSION: The results suggest that when administered for 24 weeks with peginterferon alfa-2a, ribavirin doses of 400 and 800 mg/day produce equivalent outcomes in patients infected with HCV genotype 3...
- Association of pretreatment serum interferon gamma inducible protein 10 levels with sustained virological response to peginterferon plus ribavirin therapy in genotype 1 infected patients with chronic hepatitis CM Diago
Section of Hepatology, University General Hospital, Valencia, Spain
Gut 55:374-9. 2006..99 (95% CI 0.996-0.999); p=0.03) were identified as predictive factors of SVR. CONCLUSION: Pretreatment serum IP-10 behaves as a predictive factor of SVR to peginterferon plus ribavirin therapy in genotype 1 infected patients...
- Peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C in blacks and non-Hispanic whitesAndrew J Muir
Division of Gastroenterology, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2265-71. 2004..The increased prevalence of infection with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1, which has a lower response rate than other genotypes, has been suggested as the cause...
- Predicting sustained virological response and anaemia in chronic hepatitis C patients treated with peginterferon alfa-2a (40KD) plus ribavirinEric Snoeck
Exprimo NV, Lummen, Belgium, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Nutley, NJ, USA
Br J Clin Pharmacol 62:699-709. 2006....
- Early virologic response after peginterferon alpha-2a plus ribavirin or peginterferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin treatment in patients with chronic hepatitis CA M Di Bisceglie
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Viral Hepat 14:721-9. 2007....
- Peginterferon and ribavirin treatment in African American and Caucasian American patients with hepatitis C genotype 1Hari S Conjeevaram
Division of Gastroenterology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0362, USA
Gastroenterology 131:470-7. 2006..Compared with Caucasian Americans (CA), African Americans (AA) with chronic hepatitis C are less likely to respond to interferon-based antiviral therapy...
- Extended treatment duration for hepatitis C virus type 1: comparing 48 versus 72 weeks of peginterferon-alfa-2a plus ribavirinThomas Berg
Universitatsklinikum Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Gastroenterology 130:1086-97. 2006..The extension of treatment duration beyond 48 weeks is one possible strategy to address this problem...
- Early identification of HCV genotype 1 patients responding to 24 weeks peginterferon alpha-2a (40 kd)/ribavirin therapyDonald M Jensen
Center for Liver Diseasees, University of Chicago Hospitals, 60637, USA
Hepatology 43:954-60. 2006..In conclusion, patients infected with HCV genotype 1 and treated with peginterferon alpha-2a/ribavirin sustained a RVR 24% of the time. This portends an 89% probability of a SVR after 24 weeks of treatment...
- Predictors of alpha-fetoprotein elevation in patients with chronic hepatitis C, but not hepatocellular carcinoma, and its normalization after pegylated interferon alfa 2a-ribavirin combination therapyTsung Ming Chen
Division of Hepato Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Tungs Taichung Metroharbor Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:669-75. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the predictors of elevated serum AFP in patients with CHC, and its change after Peg-IFN/RBV therapy...
- High-dose ribavirin in combination with standard dose peginterferon for treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis CKarin Lindahl
Department of Infectious Diseases, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Hepatology 41:275-9. 2005..In conclusion, a high dose of ribavirin according to an individualized schedule is feasible but associated with more frequent and serious side effects such as anemia. The viral response merits further evaluation...
- Insulin resistance impairs sustained response rate to peginterferon plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patientsManuel Romero-Gomez
Hepatology Unit, Hospital Universitario de Valme, Sevilla, Spain
Gastroenterology 128:636-41. 2005..We evaluated the effect of insulin resistance and viral factors on sustained virological response in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with peginterferon plus ribavirin...
- IP-10 predicts viral response and therapeutic outcome in difficult-to-treat patients with HCV genotype 1 infectionMartin Lagging
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Hepatology 44:1617-25. 2006..Thus, pretreatment IP-10 analysis may prove helpful in decision-making regarding pharmaceutical intervention...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 24 weeks in hepatitis C type 1 and 4 patients with rapid virological responsePeter Ferenci
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Gastroenterology 135:451-8. 2008....
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 16 or 24 weeks in HCV genotype 2 or 3Mitchell L Shiffman
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
N Engl J Med 357:124-34. 2007..We conducted a large, randomized, multinational, noninferiority trial to determine whether similar efficacy could be achieved with only 16 weeks of treatment with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin...
- Impact of reducing peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin dose during retreatment in patients with chronic hepatitis CMitchell L Shiffman
Hepatology Section, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Gastroenterology 132:103-12. 2007..However, prior studies did not assess the impact of reducing the dose of peginterferon independent of ribavirin or differentiate between dose reduction or interrupting or prematurely discontinuing treatment...
- Insulin resistance and hepatitis CManuel Romero-Gomez
Unit for The Clinical Management of Digestive Diseases Hospital Universitario de Valme Ctra de Cadiz s n Sevilla 41014, Spain
World J Gastroenterol 12:7075-80. 2006..In summary, hepatitis C promotes insulin resistance and insulin resistance induces interferon resistance, steatosis and fibrosis progression...
- Targeted therapies for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: an overview of toxicity and dosing strategiesThomas E Hutson
Baylor University Medical Center, Sammons Cancer Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Oncologist 13:1084-96. 2008..Recognition and prompt management of side effects are important to avoid unnecessary dose reductions that may result in suboptimal efficacy...
- Rational design of a potent, long-lasting form of interferon: a 40 kDa branched polyethylene glycol-conjugated interferon alpha-2a for the treatment of hepatitis CP Bailon
Hoffmann La Roche Inc, Nutley, New Jersey 07110, USA
Bioconjug Chem 12:195-202. 2001..Results of Phase II/III hepatitis C clinical trials in humans confirmed the superior efficacy of pegylated interferon alpha-2a compared to unmodified interferon alpha-2a...
- Improved outcomes in patients with hepatitis C with difficult-to-treat characteristics: randomized study of higher doses of peginterferon alpha-2a and ribavirinMichael W Fried
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
Hepatology 48:1033-43. 2008....
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C who have failed prior treatmentMitchell L Shiffman
Hepatology Section, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23298, USA
Gastroenterology 126:1015-23; discussion 947. 2004..This study evaluated the effectiveness of this treatment in patients who were nonresponders to previous interferon-based therapy...
- Blunted cytopenias and weight loss: new correlates of virologic null response to re-treatment of chronic hepatitis CKaren L Lindsay
Division of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:234-41. 2008..Although viral kinetic profiles in treatment responders shed light on the mechanism of action of interferon and ribavirin, minimal information is available to explain why some patients experience little or no virologic suppression...
- Interleukin-2- and interferon alfa-2a-based immunochemotherapy in advanced renal cell carcinoma: a Prospectively Randomized Trial of the German Cooperative Renal Carcinoma Chemoimmunotherapy Group (DGCIN)J Atzpodien
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
J Clin Oncol 22:1188-94. 2004..We conducted a prospectively randomized clinical trial to compare the efficacy of three outpatient therapy regimens in 341 patients with progressive metastatic renal cell carcinoma...
- Predicting the therapeutic response in patients with chronic hepatitis C: the role of viral kinetic studiesPeter Ferenci
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:15-8. 2004..Patients who become HCV-RNA negative after 4 weeks have the best chance of achieving an SVR. The rapidity of viral elimination may be a useful guide to tailoring the length of treatment in patients with an EVR...
- Pegylated interferons for chronic hepatitis BAntonio Craxi
Divisione di Gastroenterologia, Instituto di Clinica Medica Policlinico, University di Palermo, Piazzale Delle Cliniche 2, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Antiviral Res 60:87-9. 2003..In conclusion, peginterferon alpha-2a (40 kDa) is a promising emerging therapy for CHB...
- Expression modes of interferon-alpha inducible genes in sensitive and resistant human melanoma cells stimulated with regular and pegylated interferon-alphaUlrich Certa
Roche Center for Medical Genomics, F Hoffmann La Roche, Ltd, Postfach, Building 93 610, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Gene 315:79-86. 2003..Finally, we propose that the ISRGs are activated downstream of the primary response genes by a molecule or pathway, which awaits identification, and interferon inducible gene expression is thus more complicated than previously thought...
- Future trends in managing hepatitis CJohn G McHutchison
Division of Gastroenterology and GI Hepatology Research, Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, P O Box 17969, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 33:S51-61. 2004..Multiple-drug regimens will likely be required to enhance viral clearance and reduce viral resistance, while providing greater tolerability...
- Treatment extension to 72 weeks of peginterferon and ribavirin in hepatitis c genotype 1-infected slow respondersBrian L Pearlman
Center For Hepatitis C, Atlanta Medical Center, Atlanta, GA 30309, USA
Hepatology 46:1688-94. 2007..Treatment extension does not seem to increase the rate of dose reduction or therapy discontinuation...
- Medroxyprogesterone, interferon alfa-2a, interleukin 2, or combination of both cytokines in patients with metastatic renal carcinoma of intermediate prognosis: results of a randomized controlled trialSylvie Negrier
Universite de Lyon, Department of Medical Oncology and Cytokines and Cancer Research Unit, Leon Berard Center, INSERM U590, Lyon, France
Cancer 110:2468-77. 2007..The Programme Etude Rein Cytokines (PERCY) Quattro trial was designed to evaluate both cytokines for their survival benefit to intermediate prognosis patients, who represent the majority of candidates for these treatments...
- Genetic diversity of the hepatitis C virus: impact and issues in the antiviral therapyH Le Guillou Guillemette
Laboratory of Virology, Department of Infectious Agents, University Hospital of Angers, 4 rue Larrey, 49933 Angers Cedex 9, France
World J Gastroenterol 13:2416-26. 2007..Both mechanisms of the Interferon resistance and of the new antiviral drugs are described in this review...
- Relapse to prior therapy is the most important factor for the retreatment response in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infectionAbdurrahman Sagir
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Infektiologie, Universitätsklinik Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Liver Int 27:954-9. 2007..In this report, we investigated response rates to combination therapy [standard IFN-alpha or PEG-IFN-alpha and ribavirin] in patients who relapsed or failed in prior therapy...
- Diagnosis and treatment of chronic hepatitis C infectionKeyur Patel
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27707, USA
BMJ 332:1013-7. 2006
- Zidovudine use but not weight-based ribavirin dosing impacts anaemia during HCV treatment in HIV-infected personsD Alvarez
Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Viral Hepat 13:683-9. 2006..However, ZDV use was not associated with higher rates of treatment discontinuation or lower early virologic response rates. HIV and hepatitis C care providers should be cognizant of these data...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kd) and ribavirin for black American patients with chronic HCV genotype 1Lennox J Jeffers
Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL, USA
Hepatology 39:1702-8. 2004....
- Quasispecies heterogeneity within the E1/E2 region as a pretreatment variable during pegylated interferon therapy of chronic hepatitis C virus infectionThomas J Chambers
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis University Health Sciences Center, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Virol 79:3071-83. 2005..One interpretation of these data is that early viral responses are governed to some extent by viral factors, whereas sustained responses may be more influenced by host factors, in addition to effects of viral complexity and diversity...
- Interferon and ribavirin with or without amantadine for interferon non-responders with chronic hepatitis C. A randomized, controlled pilot studyChrista Wenger
Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 137:418-23. 2007..Our aim was to compare efficacy and tolerability of an interferon-alfa-2a (INF), ribavirin (RIBA) and amantadine (AMA) combination with those of an INF and RIBA combination...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kilodaltons) and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C and normal aminotransferase levelsStefan Zeuzem
Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Gastroenterology 127:1724-32. 2004....
- Managing the hematologic side effects of antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis C: anemia, neutropenia, and thrombocytopeniaJanus P Ong
Center for Liver Diseases, Inova Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 71:S17-21. 2004..The impact of growth factors on sustained virologic response and their cost-effectiveness in patients with chronic hepatitis C need further assessment...
- Efficacy and tolerance of HCV treatment in HIV-HCV coinfected patients: the potential interaction of PI treatmentI Poizot-Martin
CISIH-Sud, , , CHU de Marseille, France
HIV Clin Trials 4:262-8. 2003..Treatment permitted SVR in at least 17% of the cases. This is likely when patients initiate treatment at the early fibrosis stage and are infected with genotype 3a. The potential interaction with PI therapy should be explored...
- Prediction of treatment outcome in patients with chronic hepatitis C: significance of baseline parameters and viral dynamics during therapyThomas Berg
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Hepatologie und Gastroenterologie, , Campus Virchow-Klinikum, , Berlin, Germany
Hepatology 37:600-9. 2003..This algorithm recognizes 53.7% of nonresponders previously identified at week 24 of treatment...
- Peginterferon-alpha-2a (40 kD): a review of its use in the management of chronic hepatitis CC M Perry
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 61:2263-88. 2001....
- Peginterferon alone or with ribavirin enhances HCV-specific CD4 T-helper 1 responses in patients with chronic hepatitis CSanaa M Kamal
Department of Internal Medicine II, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Freiburg, Germany
Gastroenterology 123:1070-83. 2002..This study investigated if the greater efficacy of pegylated IFNs might be related to modulation of immunologic responses...
- Early changes in hepatitis C viral quasispecies during interferon therapy predict the therapeutic outcomePatrizia Farci
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Cagliari, 09124 Cagliari, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:3081-6. 2002....
- Side effects of therapy of hepatitis C and their managementMichael W Fried
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Hepatology 36:S237-44. 2002..Strategies to maximize adherence are being developed and, in the future, may include early identification of and therapy for depression and the selective use of hematopoietic growth factors to ameliorate hematologic abnormalities...
- Weight-based versus fixed dosing of peginterferon (40kDa) alfa-2aMatthew W Lamb
Department of Clinical Science, Hoffmann-LaRoche Inc, 340 Kingsland Street, Nutley, NJ 07110-1199, USA
Ann Pharmacother 36:933-5. 2002
- Use of peginterferon alfa-2a (40 KD) (Pegasys) for the treatment of hepatitis CK Rajender Reddy
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 54:571-86. 2002..Peginterferon alfa-2a (40 KD) has comparable safety to interferon alfa-2a. The addition of ribavirin to peginterferon alfa-2a (40 KD) further enhances the therapeutic benefit for patients with hepatitis C...
- Prognostic factors and early predictability of sustained viral response with peginterferon alfa-2a (40KD)Samuel S Lee
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Hepatol 37:500-6. 2002..We evaluated the prognostic value of baseline factors and early viral RNA among patients treated with peginterferon alfa-2a (40KD)...
- Adherence to combination therapy enhances sustained response in genotype-1-infected patients with chronic hepatitis CJohn G McHutchison
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27715, USA
Gastroenterology 123:1061-9. 2002..We evaluated the impact of adherence to combination therapy with interferon or peginterferon plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patients...
- Viral kinetics in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with standard or peginterferon alpha2aS Zeuzem
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Gastroenterology 120:1438-47. 2001..The aim of the study was to compare viral kinetics in patients treated with standard or peginterferon alpha2a...
- Evolution of the hepatitis C virus second envelope protein hypervariable region in chronically infected patients receiving alpha interferon therapyJ M Pawlotsky
Department of Bacteriology and Virology, Hopital Henri Mondor, Universite Paris XII, 94010 Creteil, France
J Virol 73:6490-9. 1999..These changes are associated with profound alterations of the natural outcome of HCV-related liver disease, raising the hypothesis of a causal relationship...
- Hepatitis C virus therapy to dateGraham Foster
Queen Mary Hospital, University of London, London, UK
Antivir Ther 13:3-8. 2008....
- Recurrent hepatitis C after liver transplantation: on-treatment prediction of response to peginterferon/ribavirin therapyIbrahim A Hanouneh
Department of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Liver Transpl 14:53-8. 2008..Given its high PPV and NPV, RVR appears to be the most appropriate decision time point for continuation of therapy...
- Efficacy of pegylated interferon and ribavirin for retreatment of chronic HCV infection in HIV co-infected patients failing a previous standard interferon-based regimenManuel Crespo
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:793-6. 2008..However, data available on the efficacy of this therapy in co-infected patients who failed a former interferon-based regimen are limited...
- Undetectable hepatitis C virus RNA at week 4 as predictor of sustained virological response in HIV patients with chronic hepatitis CLuz Martin-Carbonero
Hospital Carlos III, CIBERehd, Madrid, Spain
AIDS 22:15-21. 2008..It is unclear whether this applies to HIV/HCV-co-infected patients...
- Management of patients with chronic hepatitis C infectionS K Herrine
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Clin Exp Med 6:20-6. 2006..As intravenous drug use remains the most important source of HCV transmission in the US and Europe, education within this group is an important preventive tool...
- Low response to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin in HIV-infected patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with abacavirEugenia Vispo
Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Antivir Ther 13:429-37. 2008..There is little information about the influence of antiretroviral drugs on the antiviral activity of pegylated interferon (PEG-IFN) plus ribavirin (RBV) against hepatitis C virus (HCV)...
- Clinical usefulness of total hepatitis C virus core antigen quantification to monitor the response to treatment with peginterferon alpha-2a plus ribavirin*V Gonzalez
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Viral Hepat 12:481-7. 2005..6 and 75% respectively. HCV core antigen detection is quick, and easy to perform alternative to HCV RNA, and could be used as a marker of HCV viraemia for monitoring the progress of therapy...
- Rationale and design of the REPEAT study: a phase III, randomized, clinical trial of peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kDa) plus ribavirin in non-responders to peginterferon alfa-2b (12 kDa) plus ribavirinDonald M Jensen
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:899-904. 2005..Safety data will be recorded and analysed throughout the entire course of the study with the assistance of a Safety Review Board...
- [Treatment of hepatitis C virus infection]S Zeuzem
Klinik für Innere Medizin II mit den Schwerpunkten Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg, Saar
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:721-6. 2005..Possibly, interferon-alpha also reduces the risk for patients with chronic hepatitis C to develop hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Peginterferon alpha-2a combination therapies in chronic hepatitis C patients who relapsed after or had a viral breakthrough on therapy with standard interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin: a pilot study of efficacy and safetySteven K Herrine
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107 5244, USA
Dig Dis Sci 50:719-26. 2005..These findings suggest that the combination of peginterferon alpha-2a plus ribavirin or with ribavirin and amantadine is effective in some HCV patients who relapse after treatment with interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin...
- Extended-therapy duration for chronic hepatitis C, genotype 1: the long and the short of itBrian L Pearlman
Center For Hepatitis C, Atlanta Medical Center, Medical College of Georgia, Emory School of Medicine, 315 Boulevard NE Suite 200, Atlanta, Georgia 30312, United States
World J Gastroenterol 14:3621-7. 2008..Based on data from both viral kinetic and clinical studies, therapy prolongation in slow responders may be a reasonable strategy to improve response rates in these treatment-refractory patients...
- Response rates to combination therapy for chronic HCV infection in a clinical setting and derivation of probability tables for individual patient managementB J Thomson
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
J Viral Hepat 15:271-8. 2008....
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor dosing in pegylated interferon alpha-induced neutropenia and its impact on outcome of anti-HCV therapyJ Koirala
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, IL 62794 9636, USA
J Viral Hepat 14:782-7. 2007..Timing of G-CSF administration did not make any significant impact on the patient's neutrophil counts but was better tolerated when given 2 days apart from PEG-IFN-alpha...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a/ribavirin in hepatitis C virus patients nontolerant or nonresponsive to peginterferon alfa-2b/ribavirinV K Rustgi
Liver Transplantation Unit, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:433-40. 2008....
- [Therapy of chronic Hepatitis C in 2008]C Niederau
Kath. Kliniken Oberhausen gGmbH, , St. Josef Hospital Oberhausen, Oberhausen
MMW Fortschr Med 150:31-4. 2008
- Short-duration therapy for hepatitis C: suitable for all?A Mangia
Division of Gastroenterology, Hospital Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
J Viral Hepat 14:221-7. 2007..However, some issues on this topic, are still open. In this review, existing evidence is discussed, and both the relevance and limitations of published studies are considered...
- Optimizing outcomes in patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 1 or 4Samuel S Lee
Liver Unit, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Antivir Ther 13:9-16. 2008..Here, we discuss the importance of baseline predictors of response and the emerging concept of response-guided therapy in genotype 1 and 4 patients...
- Optimizing outcomes in patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 2 or 3Thomas Berg
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Antivir Ther 13:17-22. 2008..As in genotype 1 and 4 patients, response-guided therapy aims to optimize treatment outcomes for individuals, without compromising SVR rates...
- Response-guided therapy: optimizing treatment now and in the futurePatrick Marcellin
Antivir Ther 13:1-2. 2008
- Treatment of dialysis patients with chronic hepatitis C using pegylated interferon and low-dose ribavirinD Carriero
Division of Liver Diseases, Mount Sinai Medical Center and School of Medicine, New York City, USA
Int J Artif Organs 31:295-302. 2008..No safe and effective therapy exists for chronic hepatitis C in dialysis patients. Available data on the antiviral treatment of hepatitis C in dialysis population is mostly based on standard interferon monotherapy...
- Baseline serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels predict response to hepatitis C virus therapy in HIV/hepatitis C virus coinfected patientsJosé del Valle
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Universitario de Valme, Sevilla, Spain
AIDS 22:923-30. 2008..There are no data concerning this topic in HIV/hepatitis C virus coinfected patients in whom lipid disorders are particularly common...
- Incidence of neutropenia and infections during combination treatment of chronic hepatitis C with pegylated interferon alfa-2a or alfa-2b plus ribavirinM G Antonini
Dept of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Infection 36:250-5. 2008..Combination therapy with pegylated interferon (peginterferon) plus ribavirin is associated with several side effects, including neutropenia and infection...
- Chronic hepatitis C responds poorly to combination therapy in chronic hepatis B carriersH Senturk
Department Gastroenterology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Neth J Med 66:191-5. 2008..We aimed to evaluate the response rate and side effects of conventional or pegylated interferon combined with ribavirin on chronic HBV/HCV coinfection therapy...
- Early and sustained virological response in non-responders with chronic hepatitis C: a randomized open-label study of pegylated interferon-alpha-2a versus pegylated interferon-alpha-2bGaetano Scotto
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
Drugs 68:791-801. 2008....
- [Toxicity of the treatment of chronic hepatitis C with peginterferon alpha (2a or 2b) plus ribavirin in patients not previously treated]Juan Francisco Márquez Peiró
Servicio de Farmacia, Hospital Universitario Dr Peset, Valencia, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 129:612-4. 2007..The aims of this study are to determine the ADR that the patients have presented according to the type of peginterferon alpha, and the effect of these in treatment duration and accumulated dose...
- Hepatitis C treatment: shorter and better?Evaldo Stanislau Affonso de Araújo
Outpatient Hepatitis Clinic, Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Hospital das Clinicas, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:118-24. 2007....
- Serum tumour necrosis factor-alpha and transforming growth factor-beta levels in chronic hepatitis C patients are immunomodulated by therapyManuela G Neuman
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, E 240, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
Cytokine 17:108-17. 2002....
- A randomised trial to compare the pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and antiviral effects of peginterferon alfa-2b and peginterferon alfa-2a in patients with chronic hepatitis C (COMPARE)Marcelo Silva
Hospital Universitario Austral, Pilar, Argentina
J Hepatol 45:204-13. 2006....
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis C with PEGylated interferon and ribavirinMarkus Cornberg
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Medical School Hannover, Carl-Neuberg-Strasse 1, D-30623 Hannover, Germany
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 4:23-30. 2002..This review describes recent advances in the treatment of HCV infection with PEGylated interferon (interferon modified with polyethylene glycol [PEG] ) combined with ribavirin...
- Initial treatment for chronic hepatitis C: current therapies and their optimal dosing and durationKeyur Patel
Duke Clinical Research Institute and Division of Gastroenterology, Duke University Medical Center, P.O. Box 17969, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 71:S8-12. 2004..Early virologic response is a good predictor of eventual sustained response for patients with HCV genotype 1 infection. Despite important gains in treating chronic hepatitis C, many treatment challenges remain...
- [Treatment of chronic hepatitis C]Janos Feher
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, II Belgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:1065-7. 2004
- A comparison of the exponential decay slope between PEG-IFN alfa-2b/ribavirin and IFN alfa-2b/ribavirin combination therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C genotype 1b infection and a high viral loadNamiki Izumi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Musashino Red Cross Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Intervirology 47:102-7. 2004..Viral dynamics have been utilized for the evaluation of antiviral effects, especially the exponential second decay slope, which represents the elimination of infected cells...
- Albinterferon alfa-2b dosed every two or four weeks in interferon-naïve patients with genotype 1 chronic hepatitis CStefan Zeuzem
JW Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Hepatology 48:407-17. 2008..1 versus 4.3 days; P = 0.006). CONCLUSION: Alb-IFN administered q2wk or q4wk may offer comparable efficacy, with an improved dosing schedule, compared with PEG-IFNalpha-2a...
- Hepatitis C virus (HCV) relapses after anti-HCV therapy are more frequent in HIV-infected patientsVincent Soriano
Service of Infectious Diseases, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 20:351-3. 2004..8% for HCV genotypes 1-4) and/or the use of either standard or pegylated IFN (37% versus 29%, respectively). Thus, extended periods of anti-HCV therapy might reduce HCV relapses in HIV-coinfected patients initially responding to therapy...
- Heterogeneity of HVR-1 quasispecies is predictive of early but not sustained virological response in genotype 1b-infected patients undergoing combined treatment with PEG- or STD-IFN plus RBVI Abbate
S. Pertini Hospital, Rome, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 17:162-5. 2003..The loss of correlation between viral heterogeneity and therapy outcome at 6 months of therapy, or later, suggests that other factors may play a role in maintaining sustained response to treatment...
- Pegylated interferon alpha2b plus ribavirin for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C in HIV-infected patientsLeonor Moreno
Department of Infectious Diseases, , Madrid, Spain
AIDS 18:67-73. 2004..Response at week 12 may be useful to help guide therapy in HCV-HIV co-infected patients...
- Very early viral kinetics on interferon treatment in chronic hepatitis C virus genotype 4 infectionWolfgang Jessner
Department of Internal Medicine III, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Vienna Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Antivir Ther 13:581-9. 2008..Our aim was to investigate this approach in genotype 4 patients...
Research Grants112 found, 100 shown here
- SUBMACULAR SURGERY TRIALS--PHOTOGRAPH READING CENTERSusan Bressler; Fiscal Year: 2003..BUDGET NOTE: NEI Staff should evaluate the requested budget in light of their experience with the budget needs of reading centers in other clinical trials. ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: Awards, if made, are limited to 5 years. ..
- HCV TREATMENT IN AFRICAN AMERICANS VS NON HISPANIC WHIT*Lennox Jeffers; Fiscal Year: 2004..SPECIFIC AIM 7. To identify sociodemographic (e.g., age, education income, gender, ethnicity) and psychosocial (e.g., anxiety, depression, coping) predictors of adherence to treatment and virologic response to HCV RNA. ..
- Non-toxic Human Interferon-Alpha AnalogLorelie Villarete; Fiscal Year: 2004..If this project is successful, it should be possible to administer NLVgalpha2b to patients in higher doses than can be achieved with current IFNalpha's, resulting in improved clinical outcomes. ..
- A phase I/II trial of silymarin for chronic liver diseasesRajender Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will examine the safety and tolerability of various doses of milk thistle as well as start to explore its role in hepatitis C. ..
- HEPATITIS C VIRAL QUASISPECIES WITHIN THE LIVERAdrian Di Bisceglie; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies have great potential significance for understanding of viral clearance, development of persistent infection and for the development of a vaccine against HCV. ..
- HCV Disease Management in HIV- HCV Coinfected IDUsMARK SEBASTIAN SULKOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research applies two highly innovative interventions, transient elastography and contingent behavioral reinforcement, to the evaluation and management of persons with HIV/HCV coinfection. ..
- HCV Disease Management in HIV- HCV Coinfected IDUsMark Sulkowski; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research applies two highly innovative interventions, transient elastography and contingent behavioral reinforcement, to the evaluation and management of persons with HIV/HCV coinfection. ..
- Management/Hepatitis C/HIV-infected and Uninfected IDU'sMark Sulkowski; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mentorship in Liver DiseaseKenneth Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Review of the specific research activities funded by NIH and the pharmaceutical industry that serve as a structural framework for patient-oriented research ..
- Antiretroviral Therapy and the Hepatitis C VirusKenneth Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- CLINICAL TRIALS AND MENTORING IN ONCOLOGY RESEARCHRobert Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..One recently joined staff at MSKCC in the Genito-urinary Section. Mentoring of clinical trials is extended beyond fellowship to junior faculty members. ..
- Antiretroviral Therapy and the Hepatitis C VirusKenneth E Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Liver Disease and HIVKenneth Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Particular attention will be played to development of new research concepts and establishment of collaborative associations. ..
- HCV Genomic Variability in HIV Infected HemophiliacsKenneth Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Treatment nonresponders will be followed in a prospective cohort study for up to 3 additional years so that the evolution of the virus, and its associated immune response in this group can be evaluated. ..
- U.T. SOUTHWESTERN ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITMamta Jain; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- U.T. SOUTHWESTERN ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITMamta Jain; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Basis of Interferon Response in HCVMamta Jain; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A Randomized Trial and Reduce to Disparity in Live Donor Kidney TransplantationJames Rodrigue; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal directly addresses three of the priority areas of HealthyPeople2010 (4-1, 4-5, 4-6). ..
- Pharmacogenetics of lipid response to estrogen therapyJeanette McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2009..This may result in future clinically useful diagnostic tests that aid postmenopausal women in their decision whether to use estrogen therapy. ..
- Mechanisms of Innate and Adaptive Immunity In HCVDavid Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2009..A better understanding of the immunologic factors that determine resolution or persistence of the infection may help in the design of therapies and vaccines for the control of HCV infection. ..
- A Randomized Trial and Reduce to Disparity in Live Donor Kidney TransplantationJames Rodrigue; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal directly addresses three of the priority areas of HealthyPeople2010 (4-1, 4-5, 4-6). ..
- Vulnerability to major depression: The role of delta sleep in patients receivingFrancis E Lotrich; Fiscal Year: 2010..This may be a common pathway for genes, stress, and inflammation to influence risk for depression. ..
- A Randomized Trial and Reduce to Disparity in Live Donor Kidney TransplantationJames R Rodrigue; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal directly addresses three of the priority areas of HealthyPeople2010 (4-1, 4-5, 4-6). ..
- Determinants of Medication Adherence in HIV-Infected Adults with HypertensionJeffrey J Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Randomized Trial and Reduce to Disparity in Live Donor Kidney TransplantationJames R Rodrigue; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Addiction Medicine Physicians and Care for Hepatitis CALAIN LITWIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Data from this study will have relevance to both drug abuse treatment policy and clinical practice. ..
- VIRAHEP-C Clinical CenterAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Signaling Pathways in Hepatic FibrogenesisBruce Bacon; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since activated HSC play a key role in hepatic fibrogenesis, these experiments will contribute to an improved understanding of the basic biochemical processes underlying hepatic fibrosis. ..
- Adherence to HCV Treatment in HCV and HCV/HIV PatientsJeffrey Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings of this study will have important implications for the development of interventions to support and assist HCV and HCV/HIV patients in completing their course of PEG-IFN/RBV treatment. ..
- Basic & Clinical Research Training in Gastroenterology and HepatologyDavid Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since 2002 the Gl Division has trained 21 Gl fellows, with 12 still in training. Of these 21 individuals, 2 are African American (10%), 2 are Hispanic (10%), and 7 are women (33%). ..
- Investigating structural-functional brain abnormalities in late-life depressionPaul Holtzheimer; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hoped that a better understanding of the pathophysiology of late-life depression will lead to improvements in its diagnosis, prevention and treatment. ..
- Biochemical Pharmacology of Anti-HIV CompoundsYung Chi Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2009..4'-Ed4T could have the potential to replace AZT or D4T in anti-HIV HARRT and in overcoming drug resistant virus to other anti-HIV drugs at the relevant dosage without causing toxicity. ..
- BIOCHEMICAL ASPECTS OF CHEMOTHERAPYYung Chi Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2007....