Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of the two major classes of cholinergic receptors. Muscarinic receptors were originally defined by their preference for MUSCARINE over NICOTINE. There are several subtypes (usually M1, M2, M3....) that are characterized by their cellular actions, pharmacology, and molecular biology.
Publications265 found, 100 shown here
- Muscarinic receptors, leukotriene B4 production and neutrophilic inflammation in COPD patientsM Profita
Institute of Biomedicine and Molecular Immunology, Italian National Research Council, Palermo, Italy
Allergy 60:1361-9. 2005....
- Signal transduction underlying the control of urinary bladder smooth muscle tone by muscarinic receptors and beta-adrenoceptorsElfaridah P Frazier
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 377:449-62. 2008..contraction of the urinary bladder, which is required for voiding, is predominantly mediated by muscarinic receptors, primarily the M3 subtype, with the M2 subtype providing a secondary backup role...
- Activation of sphingosine kinase by muscarinic receptors enhances NO-mediated and attenuates EDHF-mediated vasorelaxationArthur C M Mulders
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Basic Res Cardiol 104:50-9. 2009..Moreover, a disturbed regulation of sphingolipid metabolism in the vascular wall may therefore play a role in the aetiology/pathology of disease states characterized by endothelial dysfunction...
- Enhanced cholinergic-mediated increase in the pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-6 in irritable bowel syndrome: role of muscarinic receptorsTimothy G Dinan
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Am J Gastroenterol 103:2570-6. 2008..We tested the hypothesis that the pro-inflammatory cytokine profile in IBS is driven by the cholinergic system and determined if the responses are mediated by muscarinic receptors.
- Fluorescence changes reveal kinetic steps of muscarinic receptor-mediated modulation of phosphoinositides and Kv7.2/7.3 K+ channelsJill B Jensen
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Gen Physiol 133:347-59. 2009..0 s) to become nearly contemporaneous with Galpha(q)/PLC interaction. Evidently, channel release of PIP(2) and closure are rapid, and the availability of active PLC limits the rate of M current suppression...
- Acetylcholine contributes through muscarinic receptors to attentional modulation in V1J L Herrero
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Nature 454:1110-4. 2008..These results demonstrate that muscarinic cholinergic mechanisms play a central part in mediating the effects of attention in V1...
- Recovery from muscarinic modulation of M current channels requires phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate synthesisByung Chang Suh
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neuron 35:507-20. 2002Suppression of M current channels by muscarinic receptors enhances neuronal excitability...
- Smoke, choline acetyltransferase, muscarinic receptors, and fibroblast proliferation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMirella Profita
Institute of Biomedicine and Molecular Immunology, Italian National Research Council, Palermo, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:753-63. 2009..These results suggest that cigarette smoke might alter the expression of ChAT and MRs, promoting airway remodeling in COPD and that anticholinergic drugs, including tiotropium, might prevent these events...
- Endogenous ACh enhances striatal NMDA-responses via M1-like muscarinic receptors and PKC activationP Calabresi
Clinica Neurologica, Dip Neuroscienze, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 10:2887-95. 1998..were antagonized either by scopolamine (3 microM) or by pirenzepine (10-100 nM), an antagonist of M1-like muscarinic receptors, but not by methoctramine (300 nM), an antagonist of M2-like muscarinic receptor...
- Relationship between membrane phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate and receptor-mediated inhibition of native neuronal M channelsJoanna S Winks
1Ion Channel Pharmacology Group, IPC 388, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Sandwich Laboratories, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9NJ, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 25:3400-13. 2005....
- Muscarinic receptors induce LTD of NMDAR EPSCs via a mechanism involving hippocalcin, AP2 and PSD-95Jihoon Jo
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Nat Neurosci 13:1216-24. 2010..We found that stimulation of muscarinic receptors, either by an agonist or by the synaptic release of acetylcholine, led to long-term depression (LTD) of ..
- Mechanisms of altered vagal control in heart failure: influence of muscarinic receptors and acetylcholinesterase activityMark E Dunlap
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Medical Research Service 151W, 10701 East Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H1632-40. 2003..We conclude that muscarinic receptors are upregulated and acetylcholinesterase is reduced in the sinus node in HF...
- Expression of muscarinic and nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the mouse urotheliumShirin Zarghooni
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Justus Liebig University, Aulweg 123, 35385 Giessen, Germany
Life Sci 80:2308-13. 2007....
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes in smooth muscleR M Eglen
Institute of Pharmacology, Syntex Discovery Research, Palo Alto, CA 94304
Trends Pharmacol Sci 15:114-9. 1994....
- Autoantibodies against the myocardial beta1-adrenergic and M2-muscarinic receptors in patients with congestive heart failureLin Zhang
Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Heart Center, Beijing Chao Yang Hospital, Beijing 100020, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 115:1127-31. 2002To determine whether autoantibodies against beta(1)-adrenergic and M(2)-muscarinic receptors are related to patients with congestive heart failure (CHF).
- Muscarinic receptors in perirhinal cortex control trace conditioningSun Jung Bang
Departments of Psychology and Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Neurosci 29:4346-50. 2009..The present study evaluated the role of PR muscarinic receptors in trace fear conditioning...
- Role of acetylcholine and muscarinic receptors in serotonin-induced bronchoconstriction in the mouseWolfgang Kummer
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, JLU, 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Mol Neurosci 30:67-8. 2006..2003)...
- Muscarinic toxins: tools for the study of the pharmacological and functional properties of muscarinic receptorsDenis Servent
CEA, iBiTecS, Service d Ingenierie Moleculaire des Proteines SIMOPRO, Gif sur Yvette, France
J Neurochem 109:1193-202. 2009b>Muscarinic receptors mediate metabotropic actions of acetylcholine in the CNS and PNS and autocrine functions of acetylcholine in non-neuronal systems...
- Muscarinic receptors mediate stimulation of collagen synthesis in human lung fibroblastsS Haag
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bonn, Reuterstrasse 2b, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Eur Respir J 32:555-62. 2008..Human lung fibroblasts express muscarinic receptors and the present study aimed to explore their role in controlling collagen synthesis...
- Striatal muscarinic receptors promote activity dependence of dopamine transmission via distinct receptor subtypes on cholinergic interneurons in ventral versus dorsal striatumSarah Threlfell
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:3398-408. 2010..How DA signaling is regulated by striatal muscarinic receptors (mAChRs) is unresolved; contradictory reports indicate suppression or facilitation, implicating several ..
- Cholinergic pathways in the lungs and anticholinergic therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseKristen E Belmonte
Respiratory and Inflammation Centre of Excellence in Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 2:297-304; discussion 311-2. 2005..Nonselective anticholinergic agents might be the best choice, because M2 muscarinic receptors on airway smooth muscle inhibit the generation and accumulation of cyclic adenosine monophosphate...
- Activation of M1-like muscarinic receptors is required for the induction of corticostriatal LTPP Calabresi
Clinica Neurologica, Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita degli Studi di Roma, Italy
Neuropharmacology 38:323-6. 1999..receptor antagonists scopolamine and pirenzepine fully prevented the induction of LTP suggesting that the activation of M1-like muscarinic receptors is a crucial event in the conditioning phase of this form of synaptic plasticity.
- Disruption of the m1 receptor gene ablates muscarinic receptor-dependent M current regulation and seizure activity in miceS E Hamilton
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195 7750, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:13311-6. 1997..Thus, the m1 receptor subtype mediates M current modulation in sympathetic neurons and induction of seizure activity in the pilocarpine model of epilepsy...
- Allosteric activators of muscarinic receptors as novel approaches for treatment of CNS disordersGregory J Digby
Mol Biosyst 6:1345-54. 2010..These novel allosteric modulators of mAChRs may provide therapeutic potential for treatment of a number of CNS disorders such as Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia...
- Cholinergic neurotransmission and muscarinic receptors in the enteric nervous systemAndrea M Harrington
F Douglas Stephens Surgical Research Laboratory, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Parkville 3052, Australia
Prog Histochem Cytochem 44:173-202. 2010..This review will concentrate on one of two classes of ACh receptors, Muscarinic receptors (mAChr), in particular their location and function in mediating synaptic transmission within enteric ..
- M(2) and M(4) receptor knockout mice: muscarinic receptor function in cardiac and smooth muscle in vitroP W Stengel
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Research Laboratories, Neuroscience Research, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 292:877-85. 2000Peripheral muscarinic receptors play key roles in the control of heart rate and smooth muscle activity...
- PIP(2) activates KCNQ channels, and its hydrolysis underlies receptor-mediated inhibition of M currentsHailin Zhang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
Neuron 37:963-75. 2003..Finally, native or recombinant channels inhibited by muscarinic agonists can be activated by PIP(2). Our data strongly suggest that PIP(2) acts as a membrane-diffusible second messenger to regulate directly the activity of KCNQ currents...
- Purinergic and muscarinic modulation of the cell cycle and calcium signaling in the chick retinal ventricular zoneRachel Pearson
Department of Physiology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 22:7569-79. 2002..Calcium transients resulting from the activation of purinergic and muscarinic receptors occur in a mixed population of interphase and mitotic cells, whereas those produced by ionotropic GABA and ..
- Muscarinic receptors and gastrointestinal tract smooth muscle functionR M Eglen
DiscoveRx Corp, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Life Sci 68:2573-8. 2001..Therapeutically, non-selective, as well as selective M3 receptor antagonists are being clinically studied, although it remains to be shown which is the optimal approach to disorders of smooth muscle motility...
- Chronic decentralization of the heart differentially remodels canine intrinsic cardiac neuron muscarinic receptorsF M Smith
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H1919-30. 2001..ICN ganglia, neuronal postsynaptic responses were mediated by acetylcholine, acting at nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. Muscarine- but not nicotine-mediated synaptic responses that were enhanced after chronic ICN ..
- Muscarinic receptors prevent oxidative stress-mediated apoptosis induced by domoic acid in mouse cerebellar granule cellsGennaro Giordano
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, 98105, USA
J Neurochem 109:525-38. 2009..By activating M(3) muscarinic receptors, the cholinergic agonist carbachol inhibits DomA-induced apoptosis, and the anti-apoptotic action of ..
- Involvement of nicotinic and muscarinic receptors in the endogenous cholinergic modulation of the balance between excitation and inhibition in the young rat visual cortexEstelle Lucas-Meunier
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, UPR CNRS 9040, Gif sur Yvette, France
Cereb Cortex 19:2411-27. 2009..We conclude that endogenous-released ACh amplifies the dominance of the inhibitory drive and thus decreases the excitability and sensory responsiveness of layer 5 pyramidal neurons...
- Extraneuronal cholinergic system in lymphocytesK Kawashima
Department of Pharmacology, Kyoritsu College of Pharmacy, 1 5 30 Shibakoen, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
Pharmacol Ther 86:29-48. 2000..In summary, these data present a compelling picture in which immune function is not only regulated by the cytokine system, but is also under the control of an independent, lymphoid cholinergic system...
- Immunohistochemical expression of muscarinic receptors in the urothelium and suburothelium of neurogenic and idiopathic overactive human bladders, and changes with botulinum neurotoxin administrationSoumendra N Datta
Institute of Neurology, University College London, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, University College London Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Urol 184:2578-85. 2010To investigate the possible associations of urothelial and suburothelial muscarinic receptors with human bladder pathophysiology we examined the immunohistochemical expression of muscarinic receptors types 1, 2 and 3 in the bladder ..
- Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by muscarinic receptors in astroglial cells: role in DNA synthesis and effect of ethanolK Yagle
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Glia 35:111-20. 2001..that activation of MAPK by carbachol may be necessary but not sufficient for its mitogenic effect in astroglial cells, and that does not represent a target for ethanol-induced inhibition of DNA synthesis elicited by muscarinic receptors.
- Acetylcholine acts on M3 muscarinic receptors and induces the translocation of aquaporin5 water channel via cytosolic Ca2+ elevation in rat parotid glandsY Ishikawa
Department of Pharmacology, Tokushima University School of Dentistry, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 245:835-40. 1998..These results indicated that ACh acted on M3 muscarinic receptors and induced the translocation of AQP5 between ICM and APM, and that the cytosolic Ca2+ elevation by ACh may ..
- Function of pulmonary neuronal M(2) muscarinic receptors in stable chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseL S On
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Aintree, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L9 7AL, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:1320-5. 2001..Pulmonary neuronal M(2) muscarinic receptors function to limit the magnitude of vagally induced bronchoconstriction...
- Blockade of M2-like muscarinic receptors enhances long-term potentiation at corticostriatal synapsesP Calabresi
Clinica Neurologica, Dip Neuroscienze, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 10:3020-3. 1998..We have investigated the role of M2-like muscarinic receptors in striatal LTP by utilizing intracellular recordings in vitro from a rat corticostriatal slice preparation...
- Determination of [35S]guanosine-5'-O-(3-thio)triphosphate binding mediated by cholinergic muscarinic receptors in membranes from Chinese hamster ovary cells and rat striatum using an anti-G protein scintillation proximity assayN W Delapp
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 289:946-55. 1999..Antibody capture GTPgamma35S binding using scintillation proximity assay technology provides a convenient, productive alternative to immunoprecipitation for exploration of receptor-G protein interaction in cells and tissues...
- Expression and distribution of cholinergic receptors in the human urotheliumThomas Bschleipfer
Department of Urology and Pediatric Urology, Justus Liebig University, Rudolf Buchheim Str 7, D 35385 Giessen, Germany
Life Sci 80:2303-7. 2007..g. by acetylcholine. Its actions are conferred by two classes of receptors, i.e. G-protein-coupled muscarinic receptors (MR) and ionotropic nicotinic receptors (nAChR)...
- Muscarinic receptors and ligands in cancerNirish Shah
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Univ of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 South Greene St, N3W62, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 296:C221-32. 2009Emerging evidence indicates that muscarinic receptors and ligands play key roles in regulating cellular proliferation and cancer progression...
- Bone marrow-derived regenerated cardiomyocytes (CMG Cells) express functional adrenergic and muscarinic receptorsDaihiko Hakuno
Cardiopulmonary Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Advanced Cardiac Therapeutics, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Circulation 105:380-6. 2002..In native cardiomyocytes, adrenergic and muscarinic receptors play crucial roles in mediating heart rate, conduction velocity, contractility, and cardiac hypertrophy...
- Acetylcholine affects rat liver metabolism via type 3 muscarinic receptors in hepatocytesM Z Vatamaniuk
Biochemistry and Biophysics Department, University of Pennsylvania, 501 Stemmler Hall, 36th and Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Life Sci 72:1871-82. 2003..Elimination of the described effects of Ach by atropine, the antagonist of muscarinic receptors, and identification of the type 3 muscarinic receptors (m3) in isolated hepatocytes as well as in whole ..
- MAPK pathway mediates muscarinic receptor-induced human lung fibroblast proliferationSonja Matthiesen
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bonn, Reuterstr 2b, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Life Sci 80:2259-62. 2007..We recently reported expression of multiple muscarinic receptors in human lung fibroblasts and demonstrated muscarinic receptor-induced, G(i)-mediated proliferation in ..
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes in cerebral cortex and hippocampusLaura A Volpicelli
Department of Neurology, Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University School of Medicine, Whitehead Biomedical Research Building, Suite 505, 615 Michael St, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Prog Brain Res 145:59-66. 2004....
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors and airway diseasesFiona R Coulson
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Pharmacol Ther 98:59-69. 2003..Release of acetylcholine from parasympathetic nerves activates postjunctional muscarinic receptors present on airway smooth muscle, submucosal glands, and blood vessels to cause bronchoconstriction, mucus ..
- Role of muscarinic receptors in the regulation of immune and inflammatory responsesSeddigheh Razani-Boroujerdi
Immunology Program, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, 2425 Ridgecrest Dr SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, United States
J Neuroimmunol 194:83-8. 2008Leukocytes contain both nicotinic and muscarinic receptors, and while activation of nicotinic receptors suppresses immune/inflammatory responses, the role of muscarinic receptors in immunity is unclear...
- Muscarinic M3-receptors mediate cholinergic synergism of mitogenesis in airway smooth muscleReinoud Gosens
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, University Centre for Pharmacy, Groningen, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 28:257-62. 2003..Therefore, we investigated mitogenesis induced by stimulation of muscarinic receptors, alone and in combination with stimulation by platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)...
- Ionic basis of ON and OFF persistent activity in layer III lateral entorhinal cortical principal neuronsBabak Tahvildari
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Neurophysiol 99:2006-11. 2008..e., BK) channels is required to induce the off state...
- Phosphorylation-dependent activation of the Ras-GRF/CDC25Mm exchange factor by muscarinic receptors and G-protein beta gamma subunitsR R Mattingly
Department of Pathology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington 05405, USA
Nature 382:268-72. 1996b>Muscarinic receptors activate Ras through a pathway distinct from that mediated through translocation of the exchange factor mSos1 by receptor tyrosine kinases...
- Changes in muscarinic receptors in the toad urothelial cell line TBM-54 following acrolein treatmentD Giglio
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35:217-22. 2008..In the present study, we investigated whether the toad urothelial cell line TBM-54 expresses functional muscarinic receptors and whether changes in muscarinic receptors can be induced in vitro by treating cells with acrolein, a ..
- Modulation of neuritogenesis by astrocyte muscarinic receptorsMarina Guizzetti
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
J Biol Chem 283:31884-97. 2008..Astrocytes express muscarinic receptors whose activation stimulates a robust intracellular signaling, although the role of these receptors in glial ..
- Calmodulin binding to peptides derived from the i3 loop of muscarinic receptorsJulie L Lucas
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0446, USA
Pharm Res 23:647-53. 2006....
- Muscarinic receptors: do they have a role in the pathology and treatment of schizophrenia?Elizabeth Scarr
Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Vic, Australia
J Neurochem 107:1188-95. 2008..typical) antipsychotic medications, to the development of drugs designed to specifically activate selected muscarinic receptors. This review presents data implicating a decrease in muscarinic receptors, particularly the M1 receptor, in ..
- Muscarinic inhibition of calcium current and M current in Galpha q-deficient miceJ E Haley
Wellcome Laboratory for Molecular Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, University College London, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 20:3973-9. 2000....
- Presynaptic muscarinic receptors enhance glutamate release at the mitral/tufted to granule cell dendrodendritic synapse in the rat main olfactory bulbAmbarish S Ghatpande
Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:2052-61. 2009....
- Activation of muscarinic receptors inhibits beta-amyloid peptide-induced signaling in cortical slicesZhenglin Gu
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
J Biol Chem 278:17546-56. 2003..Activation of M1 muscarinic receptors, but not nicotinic receptors, significantly inhibited the Abeta activation of PKC and CaMKII...
- Effects of (+/-)-huprine Y and (+/-)-huprine Z, two new anticholinesterasic drugs, on muscarinic receptorsM M Alcalá
Dpt de Farmacologia, de Terapeutica i de Toxicologia, Facultat de Medicina Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 379:106-9. 2005The cholinergic profile of (+/-)-huprine Y and (+/-)-huprine Z on muscarinic receptors has been determined. Displacement of [3H]-pirenzepine and [3H]-QNB plus pirenzepine was performed in rat hippocampus...
- Muscarinic receptors couple to modulation of nicotinic ACh receptor desensitization in myenteric neuronsErika N Brown
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G37-44. 2003..ACh excites myenteric neurons by activating nicotinic ACh receptors (nAChRs) and muscarinic receptors expressed by the same neurons...
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor knockout mice: novel phenotypes and clinical implicationsJurgen Wess
Molecular Signaling Section, Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 44:423-50. 2004..The novel insights gained from these studies should prove instrumental for the development of novel classes of muscarinic drugs...
- The subtypes of muscarinic receptors for neurogenic bladder contraction in ratsHiroyasu Hirose
Tsukuba Research Institute, Banyu Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Okubo 3, Ibaraki, Tsukuba 300 2611, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 452:245-53. 2002..Compound A would be an excellent pharmacological tool to give a better understanding of which subtypes of muscarinic receptors act in bladder function so far, and muscarinic M(3), but not M(2), receptors mainly mediate the cholinergic ..
- Long distance communication between muscarinic receptors and Ca2+ release channels revealed by carbachol uncaging in cell-attached patch pipetteMichael C Ashby
Medical Research Council Secretory Control Research Group, The Physiological Laboratory, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3BX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:20860-4. 2003..This local activation of basal muscarinic receptors elicited local cytosolic Ca2+ spikes in the apical pole more than 15 microm away from the site of ..
- The effects of repeated oral exposures to methyl parathion on rat brain cholinesterase and muscarinic receptors during postnatal developmentJun Tang
Center for Environmental Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi 39726, USA
Toxicol Sci 76:400-6. 2003..The lesser effects on surface mAChR may explain why more severe signs appeared after each treatment with the high dosage of MPS than were observed previously with CPS, indicating little or no tolerance had developed to MPS...
- Constitutive inhibitory action of muscarinic receptors on adenylyl cyclase in cardiac membranes and its stereospecific suppression by hyoscyamineJ Ricny
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
Physiol Res 51:131-7. 2002..We investigated whether an inhibition of the constitutive activity of muscarinic receptors induced by the binding of antagonist brings about a change in the synthesis of cyclic AMP in rat cardiac ..
- M(3) muscarinic receptors mediate contraction of human urinary bladderCharlotte Fetscher
Department of Medicine, University of Essen, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 136:641-3. 2002Since muscarinic receptors appear to be the physiologically most important control system for urinary bladder contraction, we have characterized the receptor subtype mediating contraction in response to the muscarinic agonist carbachol in ..
- Quantitation of mRNAs for M(1) to M(5) subtypes of muscarinic receptors in rat heart and brain cortexAlena Krejci
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Mol Pharmacol 61:1267-72. 2002It has been generally accepted that, of the five subtypes of muscarinic receptors (M(1)-M(5)), only the M(2) subtype is expressed in mammalian heart...
- NO donors potentiate the beta-adrenergic stimulation of I(Ca,L) and the muscarinic activation of I(K,ACh) in rat cardiac myocytesNajah Abi-Gerges
Laboratoire de Cardiologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, INSERM U 446, Universite Paris Sud, Faculte de Pharmacie, F 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
J Physiol 540:411-24. 2002..Although this action of NO seemed to occur at the level of G proteins, it appeared to require a component distinct from receptors, G proteins or their effectors...
- Muscarinic receptors and their mRNAs in type 2 Goto-Kakizaki diabetic rat prostateMotoaki Saito
Department of Pathophysiological and Therapeutic Science, Division of Molecular Pharmacology, Tottori University School of Medicine, Yonago, Japan
Prostate 70:1533-9. 2010..towards the relationship between diabetes and benign prostatic hyperplasia/lower urinary tract symptoms, we investigated the pharmacological properties and gene expressions of the muscarinic receptors in type 2 diabetes rat prostate.
- Activation of muscarinic receptors in rat bladder sensory pathways alters reflex bladder activityF Aura Kullmann
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurosci 28:1977-87. 2008..These findings suggest that the urothelial-afferent nerve interactions can influence reflex voiding function...
- Molecular characterization of muscarinic receptors in the human vestibular periphery. Implications for pharmacotherapyA Ishiyama
Otology Group, EAR Foundation, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Am J Otol 18:648-54. 1997..Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes are expressed in the human vestibular periphery to receive efferent innervation on the type II vestibular hair cells and primary afferent dendrites...
- Dysfunction of muscarinic M2 receptors after the early allergic reaction: possible contribution to bronchial hyperresponsiveness in allergic guinea-pigsR E Ten Berge
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, University Centre for Pharmacy, Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 114:881-7. 1995....
- Modulation of muscarinic receptors and acetylcholinesterase activity in lymphocytes and in brain areas following repeated organophosphate exposure in ratsB B Fitzgerald
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle 98105
Fundam Appl Toxicol 20:210-6. 1993Repeated exposures to organophosphorus (OP) insecticides has been shown to cause a decrease of cholinergic muscarinic receptors (mAChR) in brain and in peripheral tissues...
- Neonatal exposure to a type-I pyrethroid (bioallethrin) induces dose-response changes in brain muscarinic receptors and behaviour in neonatal and adult miceJ Ahlbom
Department of Zoophysiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Brain Res 645:318-24. 1994..In these adult mice the behavioural variables 'locomotion' and 'total activity' showed significant (P < or = 0.01) dose-dependent increases at all doses up to and including 0.70 mg/kg b.wt...
- Functional characterization of muscarinic receptors in murine airwaysJ Garssen
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 109:53-60. 1993..M3 receptors (4-diphenyl acetoxy N-methyl-piperidine (4-DAMP)) were used to investigate the existence of muscarinic receptors subtypes in murine airways. Atropine was used as a nonselective antagonist...
- Interaction of deglycosylated muscarinic receptors with ligands and G proteinsK Ohara
Department of Biochemistry, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 189:341-6. 1990..These results suggest that the carbohydrate moiety of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors is not involved in their interaction with muscarinic ligands and G proteins...
- The effects of exercise training on myocardial adrenergic and muscarinic receptorsJulie Barbier
Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics of Muscular Exercise, UFR APS, University of Rennes 2, av Charles Tillon, 35044 Rennes Cedex, France
Clin Auton Res 16:61-5. 2006..investigated the effects of exercise training on heart rate variability (HRV) and myocardial adrenergic and muscarinic receptors in rats...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of m1-toxin1: two amino acids responsible for stable toxin binding to M(1) muscarinic receptorsJ L Krajewski
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Mol Pharmacol 60:725-31. 2001m1-Toxin1 binds specifically and irreversibly to M(1) muscarinic receptors and can slow the dissociation of [(3)H]N-methylscopolamine ([(3)H]NMS) from these receptors...
- Effects of developmental co-exposure to methylmercury and 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexachlorobiphenyl (PCB153) on cholinergic muscarinic receptors in rat brainTeresa Coccini
Toxicology Division, Institute of Pavia, IRCCS Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Neurotoxicology 27:468-77. 2006..Effects of perinatal co-exposure to PCB153 and MeHg on brain cholinergic muscarinic receptors (MRs) were investigated by saturation binding studies in mature and immature rats...
- In vivo visualization of central muscarinic receptors using [11C]quinuclidinyl benzilate and positron emission tomography in baboonsM Varastet
URA CEA CNRS 1285, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, DSV, DRIPP, Orsay, France
Eur J Pharmacol 213:275-84. 1992....
- Evidence that muscarinic receptors are involved in nicotine-facilitated spatial memoryYue Liu
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Beijing 100850, China
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 78:775-9. 2004..Therefore, mAChRs are involved in the spatial memory-enhancing effect of nicotine...
- Light-microscopic distribution and parasagittal organisation of muscarinic receptors in rabbit cerebellar cortexD Jaarsma
Department of Anatomy, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, Netherlands
J Chem Neuroanat 9:241-59. 1995..injections of muscarinic agonists and antagonists on compensatory eye movements in rabbit, indicate that muscarinic receptors may play a modulatory role in the rabbit cerebellar circuitry...
- Critical analysis of potential body temperature confounders on neurochemical endpoints caused by direct dosing and maternal separation in neonatal mice: a study of bioallethrin and deltamethrin interactions with temperature on brain muscarinic receptorsJürgen Pauluhn
Institute of Toxicology, Bayer AG, 42096 Wuppertal, Germany
J Appl Toxicol 23:9-18. 2003..An enormous influence of environmental temperature on the density of muscarinic receptors in the crude synaptosomal fraction of the cerebral cortex was ascertained...
- Lack of changes in brain muscarinic receptor and motor activity of mice after neonatal inhalation exposure to d-allethrinRyozo Tsuji
Environmental Health Science Laboratory, Sumitomo Chemical Co, Ltd, Osaka Japan
J Appl Toxicol 22:423-9. 2002..The effects of allethrins on developmental neurotoxicity that Eriksson and co-workers reported previously were not reproduced in the present study...
- Reconstitution of muscarinic modulation of the KCNQ2/KCNQ3 K(+) channels that underlie the neuronal M currentM S Shapiro
Department of Physiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurosci 20:1710-21. 2000..whole-cell clamp, we studied tsA-201 cells in which cloned KCNQ2/KCNQ3 channels were coexpressed with M(1) muscarinic receptors. Heteromeric KCNQ2/KCNQ3 currents were modulated by the muscarinic agonist oxotremorine-M (oxo-M) in a ..
- Effects of benzodiazepine treatment on cortical GABA(A) and muscarinic receptors: studies in schizophrenia and ratsMark C McLeod
The Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, The Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Australia
Psychiatry Res 179:139-46. 2010Changes in cortical γ-aminobutyric acid A (GABA(A)) receptors and muscarinic receptors have been reported in schizophrenia, a disorder treated with antipsychotic drugs and benzodiazepines...
- Activation of hippocampal postsynaptic muscarinic receptors is involved in long-term spatial memory formationWendy Herrera-Morales
Departamento de Neurociencias, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, A P 70 253 Mexico D F, 04510, Mexico
Eur J Neurosci 25:1581-8. 2007..These results support the view that muscarinic receptors are involved in spatial learning and that postsynaptic muscarinic receptors in the dorsal hippocampus are ..
- Methylmercury interaction with lymphocyte cholinergic muscarinic receptors in developing ratsTeresa Coccini
Toxicology Division, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation IRCCS, Institute of Pavia, via Maugeri, 10, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Environ Res 103:229-37. 2007Cerebral cholinergic muscarinic receptors (MR) have been suggested as one of the sensitive biochemical endpoints of the central nervous system altered by developmental exposure to the widespread seafood contaminant methylmercury (MeHg)...
- Activation of muscarinic M1 receptors by acetylcholine to increase glucose uptake into cultured C2C12 cellsTsang Pai Liu
Department of General Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC
Auton Neurosci 96:113-8. 2002..001 to 1.0 micromol/l. This effect was suppressed by the muscarinic antagonist atropine. Effect of ACh on muscarinic receptors was further supported by the blockade of scopolamine, another classical antagonist...
- Signal transduction from bradykinin, angiotensin, adrenergic and muscarinic receptors to effector enzymes, including ADP-ribosyl cyclaseH Higashida
Department of Biophysical Genetics, Molecular Medicine and Bioinformatics, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Biol Chem 382:23-30. 2001..cADPR also functions through activating calcineurin released from A-kinase anchoring protein (AKAP79). Thus, some G(q/11)-coupled receptors can control cADPR-dependent modulation in Ca2+ signaling...
- Urotheliogenic modulation of intrinsic activity in spinal cord-transected rat bladders: role of mucosal muscarinic receptorsY Ikeda
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 295:F454-61. 2008..In summary, we suggest an urotheliogenic origin for intrinsic activity, where structures within the mucosal layer organize and thereby enhance intrinsic detrusor contractions...
- Development of fetal nicotine and muscarinic receptors in uteroC Mao
Soochow University School of Medicine, Suzhou, China
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:735-41. 2007..Fetal nicotine and muscarinic receptors develop in a pattern (e.g., amount and distribution) related to gestational periods...
- Dynamin mediates caveolar sequestration of muscarinic cholinergic receptors and alteration in NO signalingC Dessy
Department of Medicine, Unit of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, FATH 53 49, Universite Catholique de Louvain, avenue E Mounier, 53, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
EMBO J 19:4272-80. 2000..These findings emphasize the role of caveolae in mAchR trafficking and NO signaling, and suggest that caveolae fission may contribute to G-protein-coupled receptor desensitization...
- Muscarinic receptors: A comparative analysis of structural features and binding modes through homology modelling and molecular dockingAlessandro Pedretti
Istituto di Chimica Farmaceutica, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita di Milano, Viale Abruzzi 42, I 20131 Milano, Italy
Chem Biodivers 3:481-501. 2006Three-dimensional models of the five human muscarinic receptors were obtained from their known sequences...
- The role of pirenzepine-sensitive (M1) muscarinic receptors in vagally mediated bronchoconstriction in humansJ W Lammers
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Brompton Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am Rev Respir Dis 139:446-9. 1989..vagally mediated bronchoconstriction in humans can be inhibited by blockade of pirenzepine-sensitive (M1) muscarinic receptors probably present on a different site from muscarinic receptors at the neuromuscular junction and presumably ..
- Muscarinic receptors in the prenatal mouse embryo. Comparison of M35-immunohistochemistry with [3H]quinuclidinyl benzylate autoradiographyM Lammerding-Koppel
Institute of Anatomy, University of Tubingen, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 103:301-10. 1995..In the embryo, muscarinic receptors are transitorily expressed in the early blastoderm and later on in blastemic tissues during morphogenesis...
- Distribution of mRNA and binding sites of adrenoceptors and muscarinic receptors in the rat heartJaromir Myslivecek
Institute of Physiology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Life Sci 79:112-20. 2006..the gene expression (mRNA levels) of adrenoceptors (alpha1A-, alpha1B-, beta1-, beta2-, beta3-) and muscarinic receptors (M2) and the density of receptor binding sites (alpha1A-, alpha1B-, beta1-, beta2-adrenoceptors, muscarinic ..
- Differential signalling by muscarinic receptors in smooth muscle: m2-mediated inactivation of myosin light chain kinase via Gi3, Cdc42/Rac1 and p21-activated kinase 1 pathway, and m3-mediated MLC20 (20 kDa regulatory light chain of myosin II) phosphorylatKarnam S Murthy
Departments of Physiology and Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Biochem J 374:145-55. 2003..m2-dependent phosphorylation and inactivation of MLCK precluded its involvement in sustained MLC20 phosphorylation and contraction...
- Distinct muscarinic receptors enhance spontaneous GABA release and inhibit electrically evoked GABAergic synaptic transmission in the chick lateral spiriform nucleusJ Guo
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, The George Washington University, 2300 Eye Street N W, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Neuroscience 104:1057-66. 2001..The results demonstrate that distinct muscarinic receptors oppositely modulate GABAergic transmission in the lateral spiriform nucleus...
- Adaptation to excess acetylcholine by downregulation of adrenoceptors and muscarinic receptors in lungs of acetylcholinesterase knockout miceJaromir Myslivecek
Institute of Physiology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Albertov 5, 12800 Prague, Czech Republic
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 376:83-92. 2007..The hypothesis was tested that not only muscarinic receptors but also alpha(1)-adrenoceptors and beta-adrenoceptors are downregulated, thus maintaining a proper balance ..
- Muscarinic receptors as a target for drugs treating schizophreniaFrank P Bymaster
Neuroscience Research Division, Eli Lilly Research Laboratories, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285 0510, USA
Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 1:163-81. 2002..b>Muscarinic receptors are anatomically positioned in cortical and subcortical areas and modulate dopaminergic and glutamatergic ..
- Cholinergic neurons of the pelvic autonomic ganglia and uterus of the female rat: distribution of axons and presence of muscarinic receptorsR E Papka
Department of Neurobiology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown 44272, USA
Cell Tissue Res 296:293-305. 1999..neurons, choline acetyltransferase and the vesicular acetylcholine transporter, and (3) examined muscarinic receptors in the paracervical ganglia using autoradiography and a radiolabeled agonist...
- REGULATION OF GLANDULAR MUCOUS CELL SECRETIONDAVID CULP; Fiscal Year: 2001..Given the importance of mucins in protection of the oral cavity and the primary role of muscarinic receptors in eliciting mucous cell secretion, studies are proposed to determine the regulation by agonist of ..
- GENETICS OF NEMATODE PHARYNGEAL MUSCLE EXCITABILITYLeon Avery; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will measure the effect of acetylcholine agonists specific for nicotinic or muscarinic receptors on myogenic activity (hypothesis 4)...
- Bile acid-induced colon cancer cell proliferationJean Pierre Raufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..be tested in this proposal is that bile acids induce colon cancer cell proliferation by interaction with M3 muscarinic receptors (M3R), thereby causing transactivation of epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR)...
- Mechanism of Bladder Overactivity in Pelvic IschemiaKazem M Azadzoi; Fiscal Year: 2013..muscle cell PI3-kinase/Akt survival pathway, mitochondrial respiration, and Ca++ uptake by redox-modified muscarinic receptors in bladder ischemia...
- Canonical Transient Receptor Potential (TRPC) subfamily function in Hippocampus.David E Clapham; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, Gq/11-linked receptors such as the type 1 metabotropic glutamate and M1, M3, and M5 muscarinic receptors, activate these currents by altering plasma membrane PIP2 and increasing intracellular Ca2+ concentrations...
- Intranasal CNS delivery of drugs against organophosphorous threat agentsARYAN MANGALAM NAMBOODIRI; Fiscal Year: 2013..to reactivate the inhibited AChE;2) atropine to antagonize the action of excess acetylcholine formed at muscarinic receptors and 3) diazepam or midazolam to allosterically potentiate the action of inhibitory neurotransmitter -amino ..
- A PROOF-OF-CONCEPT CLINICAL TRIAL OF XENIN-25 IN THE TREATMENT OF TYPE 2 DIABETESBurton M Wice; Fiscal Year: 2010..release from parasympathetic neurons that innervate the islets and this neurotransmitter then activates muscarinic receptors on the pancreatic islet -cell...
- Disruption of Autonomic Pathways in Left Atrium by Inhibition of G ProteinsAlan H Kadish; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the adrenergic and muscarinic receptors or their partners Gi and Gs may be viable alternative targets for therapeutic strategies designed to ..
- Disruption of Autonomic Pathways in the Left Atrium by Inhibition of G-proteinsRishi Arora; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, the adrenergic and muscarinic receptors or their partners G1i and G1s may be viable alternative targets for therapeutic strategies designed to ..
- Atrial Fibrillation in Hyperthyroidism: Active Antibodies to Autonomic ReceptorsDAVID KEM; Fiscal Year: 2013..fibrillation (AF) have coexisting activating autoantibodies (AA) to the beta1-adrenergic (B1AR) and M2 muscarinic receptors (M2R). Adrenergic and muscarinic agonists are known to enhance the likelihood for developing AF...
- Molecular mechanism of regulation of mI(CAT) in intestinal smooth muscle cellsMichael X Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2012..This will shed light on the pathogenesis and new treatment of a wide range of human diseases caused by smooth muscle dysfunctions, such as inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and urge incontinence. ..
- Persistent Attenuation of Cocaine-Reinforced BehaviorKENNETH W GRASING; Fiscal Year: 2013..Compare the effectiveness of agonists that are selective for nicotinic or muscarinic receptors. Methods Rats will be trained to respond under a multiple, alternating schedule of liquid-food ..
- Udall Parkinson's Disease Center at Emory University: Circuitry to TherapyTHOMAS N WICHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Genetic Determinants of Drug EffectsTamara J Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2012..Further, our investigations are likely to render mechanisms that can be translationally studied in VA and other clinical populations. ..
- Unconventional Synaptic Modulation at the Vertebrate Neuromuscular JunctionClark A Lindgren; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. rimonabant). Nitric oxide (NO) is essential for synaptic modulation induced by the activation of muscarinic receptors at the NMJ...
- Adhesion Mechanisms Mediating Sickle Cell Vasooclusion In VivoPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will provide new insight on the mechanisms regulating sickle cell VOC and lead to novel ways to target inflammation. ..
- MECHANISM OF LACRIMAL GLAND SECRETIONDarlene A Dartt; Fiscal Year: 2012..Ca2+ signaling and protein secretion induced by neurotransmitter activation of a1D- adrenergic and M3-muscarinic receptors has been documented in TSP-1 null mouse lacrimal glands...
- Pharmacology of Intravesical Antisense Based Therapy for Over Active BladderNaoki Yoshimura; Fiscal Year: 2013..changes in voltage- gated sodium and potassium channels, increased cytokines expression/release as well as muscarinic receptors, and such changes are mediated by excessive NGF expression in bladder...
- Mechanism for Reduced Adrenomedullary Epinephrine Release in Type 1 DiabetesBRANLY OSVALDO ORBAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This project seeks to investigate the cellular basis for defective regulation of the body's response to low blood glucose in diabetic patients. This defect limits insulin-based therapies. ..
- Next Generation Oxime Therapeutic for Chemical Agent Inhibited CNS (Brain) ChEsRichard K Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MOLECULAR PROPERTIES OF IONIC PERMEABILITY IN NERVEBertil Hille; Fiscal Year: 2012..The kinetics of signaling steps from M1 muscarinic receptors to phospholipase C will be measured to test the hypothesis that they are fast, perhaps reflecting a ..
- Role of Sterols and Insulin in Cardiac Autonomic ResponseJONAS BERNARD GALPER; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mechanisms of Vascular Dysfunction in CirrhosisSandeep Khurana; Fiscal Year: 2012..This line of investigation will fill critical gaps in understanding the mechanisms of vascular dysfunction in cirrhosis and identify molecules for therapeutic targeting. ..
- Mechanisms of nicotine-induced neuroplasticityKatumi Sumikawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..determine the roles of: 1) nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the proposed pathway, 2) acetylcholine and muscarinic receptors in the nicotine-induced enhancement of NR2B-NMDAR responses;3) muscarinic receptor-Src tyrosine kinase ..
- Gastroesophageal Antireflux MechanismsMICHAEL RAYMOND RUGGIERI; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- The influence of diabetes on M2 muscarinic receptor contractile functionKIRK JIHYON PAK; Fiscal Year: 2012..A major neurotransmitter influencing contractility is acetylcholine (ACh), which acts via M2 and M3 muscarinic receptors (mAChRs) in smooth muscle...
- Interaction of RGS Protein with G beta subunit G beta 5.Vladlen Z Slepak; Fiscal Year: 2013..A family of GPCRs that mediates the action of acetylcholine includes five members called muscarinic receptors (M1R-M5R)...
- B Cell Expressed COX2 and AID Dependent Sjogrens Syndrome AutoimmunityPATRICIA K MONGINI; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Central cholinergic regulation of inflammationVALENTIN ATANASSOV PAVLOV; Fiscal Year: 2013..and improve survival during endotoxemia and this anti- inflammatory function is mediated through brain muscarinic receptors. We have also recently shown that galantamine, a centrally-acting acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor ..
- In Vivo Neuronal Modulation via Engineered G Protein-Coupled ReceptorsSARAH CLAIRE ROGAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..To overcome this barrier, the Roth lab has engineered a family of GPCRs, derived from the human muscarinic receptors, which have lost affinity for their native ligand, acetylcholine, lack any detectable intrinsic activity, ..
- An Animal Model of Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy: Study of Mechanism and TherapyJONAS BERNARD GALPER; Fiscal Year: 2010..This model offers a unique opportunity for new insights into mechanism and therapy of DAN and its relationship to arrhythmia and sudden death. ..
- Effects of bladder control medication on beta-amyloid peptide metabolismJeremy B Tuttle; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, both drugs are relatively non-specific antagonists of muscarinic receptors. Scopolamine increases AD pathology in human brains and in the Tg2576 AD-like mouse...
- Neonatal Methamphetamine Effects on Adult Cholinergic and Cognitive FunctionJessica A Siegel; Fiscal Year: 2010..stereological techniques;2) determine the effects of neonatal MA on the number and affinity of M1 and M2 muscarinic receptors in the hippocampus and cortex in adulthood using muscarinic acetylcholine receptor binding assays;and 3) ..
- Elucidation of M5 Muscarinic Receptor Neurophysiology using Allosteric ModulatorsDaniel J Foster; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies are important to both elucidate the physiological role of M5 as well as to validate the therapeutic potential of M5 modulation in multiple CNS diseases such as Parkinson's Disease, ADHD, and drug addiction. ..
- Muscarinic receptor activators as antipsychotic agentsJeffrey P Conn; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies are proposed to test the hypothesis that these novel molecules have actions that predict efficacy in treatment of schizophrenia. ..
- Auditory Cortex: Synaptic organization and plasticityPaul B Manis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our goal is to understand how hearing loss affects the neural substrate for auditory perception, so that we can identify strategies that can help optimize hearing. ..
- M1 and M4 mAChRs in striatum-implication in treatment of movement disordersZixiu Xiang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Modulation of Odorant Receptor FunctionHiroaki Matsunami; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mechanisms of age-related motor activity decline in C. elegansAO LIN ALLEN HSU; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, in the second part of this proposal, we will focus on understanding the physiological and cellular mechanisms by which these pharmacological or genetic interventions improve motor activity in aged animals. ..
- Muscarinic Receptor Induced LTD in Rat HippocampusLORI LYNN MCMAHON; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Neural Signaling in Age-related Cognitive ImpairmentMichelle M Nicolle; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project will also determine if early intervention with growth hormone will prevent cell signaling changes and the associated age-related cognitive decline. ..
- Transcriptional regulation of matrix metalloproteinases in colon epithelial cellsGuofeng Xie; Fiscal Year: 2012..Xie to develop a novel, clinically important research focus and learn important experimental methods and academic skills thereby laying a solid foundation for an independent research career. ..
- XENIN-25: NOVEL REGULATOR OF INSULIN SECRETION AND B-CELL FUNCTIONBurton M Wice; Fiscal Year: 2013..but stimulates acetylcholine release from cholinergic neurons that innervate the islets thereby activating muscarinic receptors on the pancreatic -cell...
- The role of RGS proteins in the parasympathetic control of heart rateKEVIN D WICKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- GENETICS OF NEMATODE PHARYNGEAL MUSCLE EXCITABILITYLeon Avery; Fiscal Year: 2013..Calcium imaging will test the hypothesis that specific interneurons in the locomotory circuit respond to food quality. ..
- The neurogenic potential of cholinergic activation in AD.ELIZABETH ADAMS ECKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Selective Muscarinic Receptor Ligands as Targets for Cocaine Addiction MedicationMORGANE MARIE THOMSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..research project for this application proposes to evaluate the potential of drugs acting at specific muscarinic receptors to reduce abuse-related effects of cocaine. With the help of collaborators Professors P...
- Mechanisms and behavioral relevance of reward timing in the primary visual cortexEMMA BERYL ROACH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific Aim 1 is to BLOCK the reward signal, hypothesized to be acetylcholine acting on muscarinic receptors, during the operant conditioning task previously used to induce reward-timing activity in V1...
- Signaling in Living CellsNARASIMHAN GAUTAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Role of IK channels in rat distal colonVazhaikkurichi M Rajendran; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, the apparent distinct roles of CCH-induced K+ channels will be investigated and correlated with functional studies. ..
- Goblet Cell Secretion and Antigen DeliveryKATHRYN KNOOP; Fiscal Year: 2013..of GC products during calcium- mediated compound exocytosis (CE), in response to acetylcholine through muscarinic receptors (mAchR)...
- PROCESSING STREAMS IN MOUSE VISUAL CORTEXANDREAS HANS BURKHALTER; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Synaptic Integration in Neurons of the Thalamic Reticular NucleusMichael Beierlein; Fiscal Year: 2013..Under this aim, the dynamics underlying activation of postsynaptic nicotinic and muscarinic receptors by the release of endogenous acetylcholine in the TRN will be examined...
- MeCP2 Dependent Transcriptional Repression &NeurotransmissionLisa M Monteggia; Fiscal Year: 2013..Collectively, these studies will contribute to a better understanding of mechanisms underlying fast-acting antidepressant responses as well as provide novel insight into MeCP2 regulation as a therapeutic target. ..
- Vanderbilt NCDDDG for Discovery of Novel Treatments for SchizophreniaCraig Lindsley; Fiscal Year: 2013..If successful, novel drugs that come from this effort could lead to a fundamental breakthrough in the treatment of this disorder and could dramatically improve the standard of care for this devastating disorder. ..
- Allostery and voltage sensing of membrane proteinsMichael Priest; Fiscal Year: 2013..As these membrane proteins are already successful targets for many therapies, improved understanding of how to modulate their function should lead towards improvements of human health. ..
- Microfluidic Analysis of Oscillatory Signaling Pathways Using Phase LockingShuichi Takayama; Fiscal Year: 2013..Use the experimental observations with mathematical models to delineate mechanisms of action. Aim 4. Disseminate self-regulating chips that make microfluidic phase-locking studies accessible to anyone. ..
- Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptors and Alzheimer's Disease PathogenesisALBERT DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..to use a combination of genetic, biochemical, and histologic techniques to define the molecular subtypes of muscarinic receptors responsible for modulating AD pathology...
- CRCNS: Cholinergic regulation of sensory computationThomas A Cleland; Fiscal Year: 2012..Taken together, the proposed simulations and experiments will elucidate how nicotinic and muscarinic receptors interact within a coordinated neural circuit to improve contrast and signal-to-noise properties in early ..
- Characterization of the molecular biological effects of M1 allosteric modulatorsMeredith Noetzel; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF PANCREATIC MUSCARINIC RECEPTORS IN VITROSETH HOOTMAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Effects of phosphorylating conditions on the electrophoretic mobility and isoelectric point of solubilized muscarinic receptors also will be examined, utilizing (3H) PrBCM as a tag for the receptor molecule...
- Mechanisms of Spinal Plasticity in Diabetic Neuropathic PainHui Lin Pan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings from this project will provide a rationale for the development of new therapies for patients with intractable diabetic neuropathic pain. ..
- Cholinergic control of neural network functionADAM RORY MCQUISTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will then examine how acetylcholine release through the activation of both nicotinic and muscarinic receptors affects interneuron function and ultimately hippocampal CA1 network function...
- HEART & LUNG MUSCARINIC AND BETA-ADRENERGIC RECEPTORSBARRY WOLFE; Fiscal Year: 1980..This interaction mediates the physiological effects of these autonomic neurotransmitters. Muscarinic receptors will be characterized in rat heart and lung using the binding of radioactive agonists and antagonists...
- Determining the cellular mechanisms of gamma oscillations in the olfactory bulb.LOREN JANES SCHMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2013..This better understanding could lead to novel therapeutic approaches using deep brain stimulation paradigms that more accurately reflect the modalities of biological information processing. ..
- AUTONOMIC RECEPTOR FUNCTION IN LV HYPERTROPHY & FAILUREDorothy Vatner; Fiscal Year: 1991..It is proposed that these studies will enhance our understanding at the cellular level, of one of the most important problems in clinical cardiology, i.e., left ventricular hypertrophy and heart failure...
- AUTONOMIC MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR SIGNALING MECHANISMSFRED EHLERT; Fiscal Year: 2000..subtype of the muscarinic receptor is the M2, accounting for approximately 80% of the total density of muscarinic receptors in several smooth muscles...
- Airway Eosinophil Activation by Anticholinergic TherapyDavid Jacoby; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that anticholinergic medications block muscarinic receptors on eosinophils that normally function to limit eosinophil activation...
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF ANESTHETIC-MUSCARINIC INTERACTIONSMarcel Durieux; Fiscal Year: 1999..These actions on muscarinic receptors could explain some of the effects as well as side-effects of the drugs...
- MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR COUPLING TO INOSITIDES IN CNSStephen Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..Accordingly, knowledge of the signal transduction pathways that regulate VSOAC is an essential prerequisite for the rational design of therapeutic agents. ..
- TOXICOLOGICAL STUDIES OF INSECT ACH-RECEPTORSAMIRA ELDEFRAWI; Fiscal Year: 1980Putative nicotinic and muscarinic receptors have been identified in membranes from housefly brain by means of the characteristics of their binding of specific drugs, (125I)alpha-bungarotoxin ((125I)alpha-BGT) for the nicotinic and (3H)..
- MECHANISMS OF MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR CROSS-TALK IN BRAINFRED EHLERT; Fiscal Year: 1993..The results of these studies may reveal new cholinergic mechanisms in the brain which may be compromised in Alzheimer's disease and other mental disorders of cholinergic hypofunction...
- Development of Antagonists for M5 Muscarinic Acetylcholine ReceptorGuangrong Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: These studies will pioneer the development of selective M5 receptor antagonists which have potential as efficacious treatments for drugs of abuse. ..