Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of the two major classes of cholinergic receptors. Muscarinic receptors were originally defined by their preference for MUSCARINE over NICOTINE. There are several subtypes (usually M1, M2, M3....) that are characterized by their cellular actions, pharmacology, and molecular biology.
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- Lack of coupling of muscarinic receptors to phosphoinositide metabolism and adenylyl cyclase in human lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear leukocytes: studies in healthy subjects and allergic asthmatic patientsH Meurs
Department of Allergology, University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 100:19-27. 1993..The results indicate that leukocytes are not a suitable model to investigate the muscarinic receptor function in relation to bronchial asthma...
- Nigrostriatal dopamine release modulated by mesopontine muscarinic receptorsAnthony D Miller
Department of Psychology, Macquarie University, Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
Neuroreport 15:1805-8. 2004..These results suggest that M2/4 muscarinic receptors in the mesopontine tonically influence SNc basal dopamine cell activity and striatal dopamine release.
- Nucleus accumbens acetylcholine regulates appetitive learning and motivation for food via activation of muscarinic receptorsWayne E Pratt
Wisconsin Psychiatric Institute and Clinics, Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, WI 53719, USA
Behav Neurosci 118:730-9. 2004..These novel results implicate nucleus accumbens muscarinic receptors in the modulation of appetitive learning, performance, and motivation for food.
- Regulation of IPSP theta rhythm by muscarinic receptors and endocannabinoids in hippocampusChristian G Reich
Department of Physiology, Program in Neuronscience, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, 21201, USA
J Neurophysiol 94:4290-9. 2005..Simultaneous recordings from pyramidal cell pairs reveal synchronous theta-frequency IPSPs in neighboring pyramidal cells, suggesting that these IPSPs may help entrain or modulate small groups of pyramidal cells...
- Muscarinic receptors, leukotriene B4 production and neutrophilic inflammation in COPD patientsM Profita
Institute of Biomedicine and Molecular Immunology, Italian National Research Council, Palermo, Italy
Allergy 60:1361-9. 2005....
- Smoke, choline acetyltransferase, muscarinic receptors, and fibroblast proliferation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMirella Profita
Institute of Biomedicine and Molecular Immunology, Italian National Research Council, Palermo, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:753-63. 2009..These results suggest that cigarette smoke might alter the expression of ChAT and MRs, promoting airway remodeling in COPD and that anticholinergic drugs, including tiotropium, might prevent these events...
- Endogenous ACh enhances striatal NMDA-responses via M1-like muscarinic receptors and PKC activationP Calabresi
Clinica Neurologica, Dip Neuroscienze, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 10:2887-95. 1998..were antagonized either by scopolamine (3 microM) or by pirenzepine (10-100 nM), an antagonist of M1-like muscarinic receptors, but not by methoctramine (300 nM), an antagonist of M2-like muscarinic receptor...
- Muscarinic receptors induce LTD of NMDAR EPSCs via a mechanism involving hippocalcin, AP2 and PSD-95Jihoon Jo
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Nat Neurosci 13:1216-24. 2010..We found that stimulation of muscarinic receptors, either by an agonist or by the synaptic release of acetylcholine, led to long-term depression (LTD) of ..
- Muscarinic toxins: tools for the study of the pharmacological and functional properties of muscarinic receptorsDenis Servent
CEA, iBiTecS, Service d Ingenierie Moleculaire des Proteines SIMOPRO, Gif sur Yvette, France
J Neurochem 109:1193-202. 2009b>Muscarinic receptors mediate metabotropic actions of acetylcholine in the CNS and PNS and autocrine functions of acetylcholine in non-neuronal systems...
- Muscarinic receptors mediate stimulation of collagen synthesis in human lung fibroblastsS Haag
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bonn, Reuterstrasse 2b, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Eur Respir J 32:555-62. 2008..Human lung fibroblasts express muscarinic receptors and the present study aimed to explore their role in controlling collagen synthesis...
- Enhanced cholinergic-mediated increase in the pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-6 in irritable bowel syndrome: role of muscarinic receptorsTimothy G Dinan
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Am J Gastroenterol 103:2570-6. 2008..We tested the hypothesis that the pro-inflammatory cytokine profile in IBS is driven by the cholinergic system and determined if the responses are mediated by muscarinic receptors.
- Role of acetylcholine and muscarinic receptors in serotonin-induced bronchoconstriction in the mouseWolfgang Kummer
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, JLU, 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Mol Neurosci 30:67-8. 2006..2003)...
- Muscarinic receptors in perirhinal cortex control trace conditioningSun Jung Bang
Departments of Psychology and Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Neurosci 29:4346-50. 2009..The present study evaluated the role of PR muscarinic receptors in trace fear conditioning...
- Striatal muscarinic receptors promote activity dependence of dopamine transmission via distinct receptor subtypes on cholinergic interneurons in ventral versus dorsal striatumSarah Threlfell
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:3398-408. 2010..How DA signaling is regulated by striatal muscarinic receptors (mAChRs) is unresolved; contradictory reports indicate suppression or facilitation, implicating several ..
- Cholinergic pathways in the lungs and anticholinergic therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseKristen E Belmonte
Respiratory and Inflammation Centre of Excellence in Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 2:297-304; discussion 311-2. 2005..Nonselective anticholinergic agents might be the best choice, because M2 muscarinic receptors on airway smooth muscle inhibit the generation and accumulation of cyclic adenosine monophosphate...
- Activation of M1-like muscarinic receptors is required for the induction of corticostriatal LTPP Calabresi
Clinica Neurologica, Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita degli Studi di Roma, Italy
Neuropharmacology 38:323-6. 1999..receptor antagonists scopolamine and pirenzepine fully prevented the induction of LTP suggesting that the activation of M1-like muscarinic receptors is a crucial event in the conditioning phase of this form of synaptic plasticity.
- Signal transduction underlying the control of urinary bladder smooth muscle tone by muscarinic receptors and beta-adrenoceptorsElfaridah P Frazier
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 377:449-62. 2008..contraction of the urinary bladder, which is required for voiding, is predominantly mediated by muscarinic receptors, primarily the M3 subtype, with the M2 subtype providing a secondary backup role...
- Acetylcholine contributes through muscarinic receptors to attentional modulation in V1J L Herrero
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Nature 454:1110-4. 2008..These results demonstrate that muscarinic cholinergic mechanisms play a central part in mediating the effects of attention in V1...
- Involvement of nicotinic and muscarinic receptors in the endogenous cholinergic modulation of the balance between excitation and inhibition in the young rat visual cortexEstelle Lucas-Meunier
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, UPR CNRS 9040, Gif sur Yvette, France
Cereb Cortex 19:2411-27. 2009..We conclude that endogenous-released ACh amplifies the dominance of the inhibitory drive and thus decreases the excitability and sensory responsiveness of layer 5 pyramidal neurons...
- Extraneuronal cholinergic system in lymphocytesK Kawashima
Department of Pharmacology, Kyoritsu College of Pharmacy, 1 5 30 Shibakoen, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
Pharmacol Ther 86:29-48. 2000..In summary, these data present a compelling picture in which immune function is not only regulated by the cytokine system, but is also under the control of an independent, lymphoid cholinergic system...
- Immunohistochemical expression of muscarinic receptors in the urothelium and suburothelium of neurogenic and idiopathic overactive human bladders, and changes with botulinum neurotoxin administrationSoumendra N Datta
Institute of Neurology, University College London, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, University College London Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Urol 184:2578-85. 2010To investigate the possible associations of urothelial and suburothelial muscarinic receptors with human bladder pathophysiology we examined the immunohistochemical expression of muscarinic receptors types 1, 2 and 3 in the bladder ..
- The effects of repeated oral exposures to methyl parathion on rat brain cholinesterase and muscarinic receptors during postnatal developmentJun Tang
Center for Environmental Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi 39726, USA
Toxicol Sci 76:400-6. 2003..The lesser effects on surface mAChR may explain why more severe signs appeared after each treatment with the high dosage of MPS than were observed previously with CPS, indicating little or no tolerance had developed to MPS...
- Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by muscarinic receptors in astroglial cells: role in DNA synthesis and effect of ethanolK Yagle
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Glia 35:111-20. 2001..that activation of MAPK by carbachol may be necessary but not sufficient for its mitogenic effect in astroglial cells, and that does not represent a target for ethanol-induced inhibition of DNA synthesis elicited by muscarinic receptors.
- Quantitation of mRNAs for M(1) to M(5) subtypes of muscarinic receptors in rat heart and brain cortexAlena Krejci
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Mol Pharmacol 61:1267-72. 2002It has been generally accepted that, of the five subtypes of muscarinic receptors (M(1)-M(5)), only the M(2) subtype is expressed in mammalian heart...
- Function of pulmonary neuronal M(2) muscarinic receptors in stable chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseL S On
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Aintree, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L9 7AL, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:1320-5. 2001..Pulmonary neuronal M(2) muscarinic receptors function to limit the magnitude of vagally induced bronchoconstriction...
- Autoantibodies against the myocardial beta1-adrenergic and M2-muscarinic receptors in patients with congestive heart failureLin Zhang
Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Heart Center, Beijing Chao Yang Hospital, Beijing 100020, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 115:1127-31. 2002To determine whether autoantibodies against beta(1)-adrenergic and M(2)-muscarinic receptors are related to patients with congestive heart failure (CHF).
- Acetylcholine acts on M3 muscarinic receptors and induces the translocation of aquaporin5 water channel via cytosolic Ca2+ elevation in rat parotid glandsY Ishikawa
Department of Pharmacology, Tokushima University School of Dentistry, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 245:835-40. 1998..These results indicated that ACh acted on M3 muscarinic receptors and induced the translocation of AQP5 between ICM and APM, and that the cytosolic Ca2+ elevation by ACh may ..
- Blockade of M2-like muscarinic receptors enhances long-term potentiation at corticostriatal synapsesP Calabresi
Clinica Neurologica, Dip Neuroscienze, Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 10:3020-3. 1998..We have investigated the role of M2-like muscarinic receptors in striatal LTP by utilizing intracellular recordings in vitro from a rat corticostriatal slice preparation...
- Activation of sphingosine kinase by muscarinic receptors enhances NO-mediated and attenuates EDHF-mediated vasorelaxationArthur C M Mulders
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Basic Res Cardiol 104:50-9. 2009..Moreover, a disturbed regulation of sphingolipid metabolism in the vascular wall may therefore play a role in the aetiology/pathology of disease states characterized by endothelial dysfunction...
- Determination of [35S]guanosine-5'-O-(3-thio)triphosphate binding mediated by cholinergic muscarinic receptors in membranes from Chinese hamster ovary cells and rat striatum using an anti-G protein scintillation proximity assayN W Delapp
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 289:946-55. 1999..Antibody capture GTPgamma35S binding using scintillation proximity assay technology provides a convenient, productive alternative to immunoprecipitation for exploration of receptor-G protein interaction in cells and tissues...
- Bone marrow-derived regenerated cardiomyocytes (CMG Cells) express functional adrenergic and muscarinic receptorsDaihiko Hakuno
Cardiopulmonary Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Advanced Cardiac Therapeutics, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Circulation 105:380-6. 2002..In native cardiomyocytes, adrenergic and muscarinic receptors play crucial roles in mediating heart rate, conduction velocity, contractility, and cardiac hypertrophy...
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes in cerebral cortex and hippocampusLaura A Volpicelli
Department of Neurology, Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University School of Medicine, Whitehead Biomedical Research Building, Suite 505, 615 Michael St, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Prog Brain Res 145:59-66. 2004....
- MAPK pathway mediates muscarinic receptor-induced human lung fibroblast proliferationSonja Matthiesen
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bonn, Reuterstr 2b, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Life Sci 80:2259-62. 2007..We recently reported expression of multiple muscarinic receptors in human lung fibroblasts and demonstrated muscarinic receptor-induced, G(i)-mediated proliferation in ..
- Acetylcholine affects rat liver metabolism via type 3 muscarinic receptors in hepatocytesM Z Vatamaniuk
Biochemistry and Biophysics Department, University of Pennsylvania, 501 Stemmler Hall, 36th and Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Life Sci 72:1871-82. 2003..Elimination of the described effects of Ach by atropine, the antagonist of muscarinic receptors, and identification of the type 3 muscarinic receptors (m3) in isolated hepatocytes as well as in whole ..
- Fluorescence changes reveal kinetic steps of muscarinic receptor-mediated modulation of phosphoinositides and Kv7.2/7.3 K+ channelsJill B Jensen
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Gen Physiol 133:347-59. 2009..0 s) to become nearly contemporaneous with Galpha(q)/PLC interaction. Evidently, channel release of PIP(2) and closure are rapid, and the availability of active PLC limits the rate of M current suppression...
- Muscarinic receptors: do they have a role in the pathology and treatment of schizophrenia?Elizabeth Scarr
Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Vic, Australia
J Neurochem 107:1188-95. 2008..typical) antipsychotic medications, to the development of drugs designed to specifically activate selected muscarinic receptors. This review presents data implicating a decrease in muscarinic receptors, particularly the M1 receptor, in ..
- Ionic basis of ON and OFF persistent activity in layer III lateral entorhinal cortical principal neuronsBabak Tahvildari
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Neurophysiol 99:2006-11. 2008..e., BK) channels is required to induce the off state...
- Muscarinic receptors and ligands in cancerNirish Shah
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Univ of Maryland School of Medicine, 22 South Greene St, N3W62, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 296:C221-32. 2009Emerging evidence indicates that muscarinic receptors and ligands play key roles in regulating cellular proliferation and cancer progression...
- Phosphorylation-dependent activation of the Ras-GRF/CDC25Mm exchange factor by muscarinic receptors and G-protein beta gamma subunitsR R Mattingly
Department of Pathology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington 05405, USA
Nature 382:268-72. 1996b>Muscarinic receptors activate Ras through a pathway distinct from that mediated through translocation of the exchange factor mSos1 by receptor tyrosine kinases...
- Effects of developmental co-exposure to methylmercury and 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexachlorobiphenyl (PCB153) on cholinergic muscarinic receptors in rat brainTeresa Coccini
Toxicology Division, Institute of Pavia, IRCCS Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Neurotoxicology 27:468-77. 2006..Effects of perinatal co-exposure to PCB153 and MeHg on brain cholinergic muscarinic receptors (MRs) were investigated by saturation binding studies in mature and immature rats...
- Chronic decentralization of the heart differentially remodels canine intrinsic cardiac neuron muscarinic receptorsF M Smith
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H1919-30. 2001..ICN ganglia, neuronal postsynaptic responses were mediated by acetylcholine, acting at nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. Muscarine- but not nicotine-mediated synaptic responses that were enhanced after chronic ICN ..
- Cholinergic neurotransmission and muscarinic receptors in the enteric nervous systemAndrea M Harrington
F Douglas Stephens Surgical Research Laboratory, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Parkville 3052, Australia
Prog Histochem Cytochem 44:173-202. 2010..This review will concentrate on one of two classes of ACh receptors, Muscarinic receptors (mAChr), in particular their location and function in mediating synaptic transmission within enteric ..
- The effects of exercise training on myocardial adrenergic and muscarinic receptorsJulie Barbier
Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics of Muscular Exercise, UFR APS, University of Rennes 2, av Charles Tillon, 35044 Rennes Cedex, France
Clin Auton Res 16:61-5. 2006..investigated the effects of exercise training on heart rate variability (HRV) and myocardial adrenergic and muscarinic receptors in rats...
- Muscarinic receptors and gastrointestinal tract smooth muscle functionR M Eglen
DiscoveRx Corp, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Life Sci 68:2573-8. 2001..Therapeutically, non-selective, as well as selective M3 receptor antagonists are being clinically studied, although it remains to be shown which is the optimal approach to disorders of smooth muscle motility...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of m1-toxin1: two amino acids responsible for stable toxin binding to M(1) muscarinic receptorsJ L Krajewski
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Mol Pharmacol 60:725-31. 2001m1-Toxin1 binds specifically and irreversibly to M(1) muscarinic receptors and can slow the dissociation of [(3)H]N-methylscopolamine ([(3)H]NMS) from these receptors...
- In vivo visualization of central muscarinic receptors using [11C]quinuclidinyl benzilate and positron emission tomography in baboonsM Varastet
URA CEA CNRS 1285, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, DSV, DRIPP, Orsay, France
Eur J Pharmacol 213:275-84. 1992....
- Evidence that muscarinic receptors are involved in nicotine-facilitated spatial memoryYue Liu
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Beijing 100850, China
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 78:775-9. 2004..Therefore, mAChRs are involved in the spatial memory-enhancing effect of nicotine...
- Light-microscopic distribution and parasagittal organisation of muscarinic receptors in rabbit cerebellar cortexD Jaarsma
Department of Anatomy, Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, Netherlands
J Chem Neuroanat 9:241-59. 1995..injections of muscarinic agonists and antagonists on compensatory eye movements in rabbit, indicate that muscarinic receptors may play a modulatory role in the rabbit cerebellar circuitry...
- Recovery from muscarinic modulation of M current channels requires phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate synthesisByung Chang Suh
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neuron 35:507-20. 2002Suppression of M current channels by muscarinic receptors enhances neuronal excitability...
- Reconstitution of muscarinic modulation of the KCNQ2/KCNQ3 K(+) channels that underlie the neuronal M currentM S Shapiro
Department of Physiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurosci 20:1710-21. 2000..whole-cell clamp, we studied tsA-201 cells in which cloned KCNQ2/KCNQ3 channels were coexpressed with M(1) muscarinic receptors. Heteromeric KCNQ2/KCNQ3 currents were modulated by the muscarinic agonist oxotremorine-M (oxo-M) in a ..
- Activation of muscarinic M1 receptors by acetylcholine to increase glucose uptake into cultured C2C12 cellsTsang Pai Liu
Department of General Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC
Auton Neurosci 96:113-8. 2002..001 to 1.0 micromol/l. This effect was suppressed by the muscarinic antagonist atropine. Effect of ACh on muscarinic receptors was further supported by the blockade of scopolamine, another classical antagonist...
- Effects of benzodiazepine treatment on cortical GABA(A) and muscarinic receptors: studies in schizophrenia and ratsMark C McLeod
The Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, The Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Australia
Psychiatry Res 179:139-46. 2010Changes in cortical γ-aminobutyric acid A (GABA(A)) receptors and muscarinic receptors have been reported in schizophrenia, a disorder treated with antipsychotic drugs and benzodiazepines...
- Urotheliogenic modulation of intrinsic activity in spinal cord-transected rat bladders: role of mucosal muscarinic receptorsY Ikeda
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 295:F454-61. 2008..In summary, we suggest an urotheliogenic origin for intrinsic activity, where structures within the mucosal layer organize and thereby enhance intrinsic detrusor contractions...
- Lack of changes in brain muscarinic receptor and motor activity of mice after neonatal inhalation exposure to d-allethrinRyozo Tsuji
Environmental Health Science Laboratory, Sumitomo Chemical Co, Ltd, Osaka Japan
J Appl Toxicol 22:423-9. 2002..The effects of allethrins on developmental neurotoxicity that Eriksson and co-workers reported previously were not reproduced in the present study...
- Methylmercury interaction with lymphocyte cholinergic muscarinic receptors in developing ratsTeresa Coccini
Toxicology Division, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation IRCCS, Institute of Pavia, via Maugeri, 10, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Environ Res 103:229-37. 2007Cerebral cholinergic muscarinic receptors (MR) have been suggested as one of the sensitive biochemical endpoints of the central nervous system altered by developmental exposure to the widespread seafood contaminant methylmercury (MeHg)...
- Dynamin mediates caveolar sequestration of muscarinic cholinergic receptors and alteration in NO signalingC Dessy
Department of Medicine, Unit of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, FATH 53 49, Universite Catholique de Louvain, avenue E Mounier, 53, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
EMBO J 19:4272-80. 2000..These findings emphasize the role of caveolae in mAchR trafficking and NO signaling, and suggest that caveolae fission may contribute to G-protein-coupled receptor desensitization...
- PIP(2) activates KCNQ channels, and its hydrolysis underlies receptor-mediated inhibition of M currentsHailin Zhang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
Neuron 37:963-75. 2003..Finally, native or recombinant channels inhibited by muscarinic agonists can be activated by PIP(2). Our data strongly suggest that PIP(2) acts as a membrane-diffusible second messenger to regulate directly the activity of KCNQ currents...
- Signal transduction from bradykinin, angiotensin, adrenergic and muscarinic receptors to effector enzymes, including ADP-ribosyl cyclaseH Higashida
Department of Biophysical Genetics, Molecular Medicine and Bioinformatics, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Biol Chem 382:23-30. 2001..cADPR also functions through activating calcineurin released from A-kinase anchoring protein (AKAP79). Thus, some G(q/11)-coupled receptors can control cADPR-dependent modulation in Ca2+ signaling...
- Activation of hippocampal postsynaptic muscarinic receptors is involved in long-term spatial memory formationWendy Herrera-Morales
Departamento de Neurociencias, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, A P 70 253 Mexico D F, 04510, Mexico
Eur J Neurosci 25:1581-8. 2007..These results support the view that muscarinic receptors are involved in spatial learning and that postsynaptic muscarinic receptors in the dorsal hippocampus are ..
- Development of fetal nicotine and muscarinic receptors in uteroC Mao
Soochow University School of Medicine, Suzhou, China
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:735-41. 2007..Fetal nicotine and muscarinic receptors develop in a pattern (e.g., amount and distribution) related to gestational periods...
- Critical analysis of potential body temperature confounders on neurochemical endpoints caused by direct dosing and maternal separation in neonatal mice: a study of bioallethrin and deltamethrin interactions with temperature on brain muscarinic receptorsJürgen Pauluhn
Institute of Toxicology, Bayer AG, 42096 Wuppertal, Germany
J Appl Toxicol 23:9-18. 2003..An enormous influence of environmental temperature on the density of muscarinic receptors in the crude synaptosomal fraction of the cerebral cortex was ascertained...
- Differential signalling by muscarinic receptors in smooth muscle: m2-mediated inactivation of myosin light chain kinase via Gi3, Cdc42/Rac1 and p21-activated kinase 1 pathway, and m3-mediated MLC20 (20 kDa regulatory light chain of myosin II) phosphorylatKarnam S Murthy
Departments of Physiology and Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Biochem J 374:145-55. 2003..m2-dependent phosphorylation and inactivation of MLCK precluded its involvement in sustained MLC20 phosphorylation and contraction...
- Distinct muscarinic receptors enhance spontaneous GABA release and inhibit electrically evoked GABAergic synaptic transmission in the chick lateral spiriform nucleusJ Guo
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, The George Washington University, 2300 Eye Street N W, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Neuroscience 104:1057-66. 2001..The results demonstrate that distinct muscarinic receptors oppositely modulate GABAergic transmission in the lateral spiriform nucleus...
- Muscarinic receptors as a target for drugs treating schizophreniaFrank P Bymaster
Neuroscience Research Division, Eli Lilly Research Laboratories, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285 0510, USA
Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 1:163-81. 2002..b>Muscarinic receptors are anatomically positioned in cortical and subcortical areas and modulate dopaminergic and glutamatergic ..
- Distribution of mRNA and binding sites of adrenoceptors and muscarinic receptors in the rat heartJaromir Myslivecek
Institute of Physiology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Life Sci 79:112-20. 2006..the gene expression (mRNA levels) of adrenoceptors (alpha1A-, alpha1B-, beta1-, beta2-, beta3-) and muscarinic receptors (M2) and the density of receptor binding sites (alpha1A-, alpha1B-, beta1-, beta2-adrenoceptors, muscarinic ..
- Neonatal exposure to DDT induces increased susceptibility to pyrethroid (bioallethrin) exposure at adult age.--Changes in cholinergic muscarinic receptor and behavioural variablesP Eriksson
Department of Zoophysiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Toxicology 77:21-30. 1993..The present study indicates an increased susceptibility in the cholinergic muscarinic receptors and a different behaviour reaction in animals already exposed to DDT (at a physiologically relevant dose), ..
- Adaptation to excess acetylcholine by downregulation of adrenoceptors and muscarinic receptors in lungs of acetylcholinesterase knockout miceJaromir Myslivecek
Institute of Physiology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Albertov 5, 12800 Prague, Czech Republic
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 376:83-92. 2007..The hypothesis was tested that not only muscarinic receptors but also alpha(1)-adrenoceptors and beta-adrenoceptors are downregulated, thus maintaining a proper balance ..
- Muscarinic receptors in the prenatal mouse embryo. Comparison of M35-immunohistochemistry with [3H]quinuclidinyl benzylate autoradiographyM Lammerding-Koppel
Institute of Anatomy, University of Tubingen, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 103:301-10. 1995..In the embryo, muscarinic receptors are transitorily expressed in the early blastoderm and later on in blastemic tissues during morphogenesis...
- Muscarinic receptors: A comparative analysis of structural features and binding modes through homology modelling and molecular dockingAlessandro Pedretti
Istituto di Chimica Farmaceutica, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita di Milano, Viale Abruzzi 42, I 20131 Milano, Italy
Chem Biodivers 3:481-501. 2006Three-dimensional models of the five human muscarinic receptors were obtained from their known sequences...
- Quantitative analysis of the loss of muscarinic receptors in various peripheral tissues in M1-M5 receptor single knockout miceYoshihiko Ito
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics and Global Center of Excellence Program, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Suruga ku, Shizuoka, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 156:1147-53. 2009To compare loss in binding to muscarinic receptor (mAChR) subtypes with their known functions, the total density of muscarinic receptors was measured in peripheral tissues from wild type (WT) and mAChR knockout (KO) mice.
- Cholinergic neurons of the pelvic autonomic ganglia and uterus of the female rat: distribution of axons and presence of muscarinic receptorsR E Papka
Department of Neurobiology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown 44272, USA
Cell Tissue Res 296:293-305. 1999..neurons, choline acetyltransferase and the vesicular acetylcholine transporter, and (3) examined muscarinic receptors in the paracervical ganglia using autoradiography and a radiolabeled agonist...
- The role of pirenzepine-sensitive (M1) muscarinic receptors in vagally mediated bronchoconstriction in humansJ W Lammers
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Brompton Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am Rev Respir Dis 139:446-9. 1989..vagally mediated bronchoconstriction in humans can be inhibited by blockade of pirenzepine-sensitive (M1) muscarinic receptors probably present on a different site from muscarinic receptors at the neuromuscular junction and presumably ..
- Activation of muscarinic receptors by a hydroalcoholic extract of Dicksonia sellowiana Presl. HooK (Dicksoniaceae) induces vascular relaxation and hypotension in ratsYanna D Rattmann
Department of Pharmacology, Centro Politecnico, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Vascul Pharmacol 50:27-33. 2009..possess substances with both in vivo and in vitro activities and that the vascular effect of HEDS involves activation of muscarinic receptors, stimulation of the nitric oxide pathway and opening of calcium-activated potassium channels.
- Coupling of M(2) muscarinic receptors to Src activation in cultured canine colonic smooth muscle cellsCherie A Singer
Department of Pharmacology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, Nevada 89557 0046, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 282:G61-8. 2002..Together these results indicate that M(2) receptors are coupled to Src tyrosine kinase and subsequent activation of ERK in cultured CSMC...
- Altered hippocampal muscarinic receptors in acetylcholinesterase-deficient miceLaura A Volpicelli-Daley
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease and Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Ann Neurol 53:788-96. 2003..The alterations of mAChRs in AChE -/- mice suggest that mAChR downregulation may contribute to the limited efficacy of AChE inhibitors in Alzheimer's disease treatment...
- Mediation by M3-muscarinic receptors of both endothelium-dependent contraction and relaxation to acetylcholine in the aorta of the spontaneously hypertensive ratC M Boulanger
Center for Experimental Therapeutics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Br J Pharmacol 112:519-24. 1994..15 +/- 0.23 and 9.63 +/- 0.28, respectively. These results suggest that the muscarinic M3 receptor subtype mediates both endothelium-dependent relaxation and contraction to acetylcholine in SHR aorta...
- Both nicotinic and muscarinic receptors in ventral tegmental area contribute to brain-stimulation rewardJ Yeomans
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Canada
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 57:915-21. 1997..activate dopamine neurons of the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area (VTA) via nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. The nicotinic receptors near the VTA have been proposed to be important for nicotine self-administration ..
- Role of muscarinic receptors in the regulation of immune and inflammatory responsesSeddigheh Razani-Boroujerdi
Immunology Program, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, 2425 Ridgecrest Dr SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, United States
J Neuroimmunol 194:83-8. 2008Leukocytes contain both nicotinic and muscarinic receptors, and while activation of nicotinic receptors suppresses immune/inflammatory responses, the role of muscarinic receptors in immunity is unclear...
- M2 muscarinic receptors induce airway smooth muscle activation via a dual, Gbetagamma-mediated inhibition of large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel activityXiao Bo Zhou
Institut für Pharmakologie für Pharmazeuten, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:21036-44. 2008Airway smooth muscle is richly endowed with muscarinic receptors of the M(2) and M(3) subtype...
- Impaired modulation of GABAergic transmission by muscarinic receptors in a mouse transgenic model of Alzheimer's diseasePing Zhong
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
J Biol Chem 278:26888-96. 2003..These results show that the muscarinic regulation of GABA transmission is impaired in the AD model, probably due to the Abeta-mediated interference of mAChR activation of PKC...
- Evidence that M1 muscarinic receptors enhance noradrenaline release in mouse atria by activating protein kinase CM Costa
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 110:910-6. 1993..This has been found previously to be due to activation of muscarinic receptors of the M1 subtype, probably located on sympathetic nerve terminals...
- Cooperativity manifest in the binding properties of purified cardiac muscarinic receptorsK A Wreggett
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:22488-99. 1995b>Muscarinic receptors were solubilized from porcine atria in digitonin-cholate and were purified by chromatography on DEAE-Sepharose and 3-(2'-aminobenzhydryloxy)tropane-Sepharose...
- Use of knockout mice reveals involvement of M2-muscarinic receptors in control of the kinetics of acetylcholine releaseI Slutsky
The Otto Loewi Minerva Center for Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Neurobiology, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
J Neurophysiol 89:1954-67. 2003We have previously suggested that presynaptic M(2)-muscarinic receptors (M(2)R) are involved in the control of the time course of evoked acetylcholine release in the frog neuromuscular junction...
- Two types of cation channel activated by stimulation of muscarinic receptors in guinea-pig urinary bladder smooth muscleMasayuki Yamamoto
Department of Pathogenic Veterinary Science, United Graduate School of Veterinary Science, Gifu University, Gifu, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 108:248-57. 2008....
- Expression of muscarinic receptors in human and mouse sclera and their role in the regulation of scleral fibroblasts proliferationV A Barathi
Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore
Mol Vis 15:1277-93. 2009....
- Muscarinic receptors in psychiatric disorders - can we mimic 'health'?E Scarr
Centre for Neuroscience, The University of Melbourne, and Rebecca L Cooper Research Laboratories, Mental Health Research Institute, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Neurosignals 17:298-310. 2009..New compounds are now being developed that have the potential to selectively target individual muscarinic receptors in the central nervous system...
- Motor activity-induced dopamine release in the substantia nigra is regulated by muscarinic receptorsDaniel R Andersson
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, the Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
Exp Neurol 221:251-9. 2010....
- Elucidating the role of muscarinic receptors in psychosisC C Felder
Neuroscience Division, Eli Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Life Sci 68:2605-13. 2001b>Muscarinic receptors have been implicated in the regulation of cognition and psychosis based on pharmacological evidence from pre-clinical and clinical studies...
- Simultaneous modulation of retrieval by dopaminergic D(1), beta-noradrenergic, serotonergic-1A and cholinergic muscarinic receptors in cortical structures of the ratD M Barros
, Centro de Memoria, , Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Ramiro Barcellos 2600, 90035-003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Behav Brain Res 124:1-7. 2001..enzymatic activities are known to be modulated by dopamine D(1), beta-noradrenergic, 5HT1A and cholinergic muscarinic receptors. Here we study the effect on retrieval of this task of well-known agonists and antagonists of these ..
- Pathways modulating neural KCNQ/M (Kv7) potassium channelsPatrick Delmas
Laboratoire de Neurophysiologie Cellulaire, UMR 6150 CNRS, Faculte de Medecine, IFR Jean Roche, Bd Pierre Dramard, 13916 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Nat Rev Neurosci 6:850-62. 2005..However, until recently, the link between the receptors and the channels has remained elusive. Here, we summarize recent developments that have begun to clarify this link and discuss their implications for physiology and medicine...
- Involvement of M3 muscarinic receptors of the spinal cord in formalin-induced nociception in miceK Honda
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Brain Res 859:38-44. 2000..that endogenous ACh in the spinal cord acts as a transmitter anti-nociception, and that ACh release regulated by presynaptic M(3) muscarinic receptors in the spinal cord is involved in the second phase of nociception induced by formalin.
- Spinal alpha(2)-adrenergic and muscarinic receptors and the NO release cascade mediate supraspinally produced effectiveness of gabapentin at decreasing mechanical hypersensitivity in mice after partial nerve injuryKeiko Takasu
Laboratory of CNS Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagoya City University, 3 1 Tanabe dori, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8603, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 148:233-44. 2006..on mechanical hypersensitivity involves activation of spinal alpha(2)-adrenergic receptors followed by muscarinic receptors (most likely M(1)) and the NO cascade...
- Recombinant expression of a selective blocker of M(1) muscarinic receptorsJ Nasman
Department of Physiology, Uppsala University, BMC, Uppsala, S 751 23, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:435-9. 2000Mamba venoms contain peptides with high selectivity for muscarinic receptors. Due to the limited availability of the M(1) muscarinic receptor-selective MT7 or m1-toxin 1, the peptide was expressed in Sf9 cells using a synthetic cDNA and ..
- Qualitative and quantitative expression profile of muscarinic receptors in human urothelium and detrusorShachi Tyagi
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Urol 176:1673-8. 2006....
- The relationship between agonist intrinsic activity and the rate of endocytosis of muscarinic receptors in a human neuroblastoma cell lineP G Szekeres
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 53:759-65. 1998..An important implication of this analysis is that extremely weak partial agonists (which may in practice be indistinguishable from antagonists) may produce significant receptor internalization...
- Phosphorylation of serine 916 of Ras-GRF1 contributes to the activation of exchange factor activity by muscarinic receptorsR R Mattingly
Department of Pharmacology, Wayne State University, Program in Molecular Biology and Genetics, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 274:37379-84. 1999..Co-expression of Ras-GRF1 with subtype 1 human muscarinic receptors in COS-7 cells allowed mapping of a carbachol-stimulated phosphorylation site to a region composed of ..
- Nonselective cation channels activated by the stimulation of muscarinic receptors in mammalian gastric smooth muscleInsuk So
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 799, Korea
J Smooth Muscle Res 39:231-47. 2003b>Muscarinic receptors play key roles in the control of gastrointestinal smooth muscle activity. However, specific physiological functions of each subtype remain to be determined...
- Interaction of the chiral forms of ketamine with opioid, phencyclidine, sigma and muscarinic receptorsO Hustveit
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oslo, Norway
Pharmacol Toxicol 77:355-9. 1995..the binding of the chiral forms of ketamine to opioid (mu, delta and kappa), phencyclidine, sigma and muscarinic receptors and we have performed detailed concentration-response experiments in the guinea-pig ileum preparation...
- G-protein-gated TRP-like cationic channel activated by muscarinic receptors: effect of potential on single-channel gatingAlexander V Zholos
Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology of Cellular Receptors and Ion Channels, A A Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, 01024 Ukraine
J Gen Physiol 123:581-98. 2004..1, 3, 24, and 73%) as P(O) increased 525-fold in three stages...
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor knockout mice: novel phenotypes and clinical implicationsJurgen Wess
Molecular Signaling Section, Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 44:423-50. 2004..The novel insights gained from these studies should prove instrumental for the development of novel classes of muscarinic drugs...
- Differential modulation of CaV2.3 Ca2+ channels by Galphaq/11-coupled muscarinic receptorsR A Bannister
Department of Biology, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322, USA
Mol Pharmacol 65:381-8. 2004..In the present study, we compared modulation of CaV2.3 by the three Galphaq/11-coupled muscarinic receptors (M1, M3, and M5). Our data indicate that these receptors trigger comparable stimulation of CaV2.3...
- Role of M3 muscarinic receptors in bile acid-induced colon cancerJean Pierre Raufman; Fiscal Year: 2010..present line of investigation was initiated by our unanticipated observation that bile acids interact with muscarinic receptors. M3 muscarinic receptors (M3R), which are over-expressed in most colon cancers, are key players in colon ..
- Role of Sterols and Insulin in Cardiac Autonomic ResponseJONAS BERNARD GALPER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- REGULATION OF GLANDULAR MUCOUS CELL SECRETIONDAVID CULP; Fiscal Year: 2001..Given the importance of mucins in protection of the oral cavity and the primary role of muscarinic receptors in eliciting mucous cell secretion, studies are proposed to determine the regulation by agonist of ..
- GENETICS OF NEMATODE PHARYNGEAL MUSCLE EXCITABILITYLeon Avery; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will measure the effect of acetylcholine agonists specific for nicotinic or muscarinic receptors on myogenic activity (hypothesis 4)...
- Next Generation Oxime Therapeutic for Chemical Agent Inhibited CNS (Brain) ChEsRichard Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Bile acid-induced colon cancer cell proliferationJean Pierre Raufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..be tested in this proposal is that bile acids induce colon cancer cell proliferation by interaction with M3 muscarinic receptors (M3R), thereby causing transactivation of epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR)...
- Role of M3 muscarinic receptors in bile acid-induced colon cancerJean Pierre Raufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..present line of investigation was initiated by our unanticipated observation that bile acids interact with muscarinic receptors. M3 muscarinic receptors (M3R), which are over-expressed in most colon cancers, are key players in colon ..
- Neuromuscular blocker-induced asthma during anesthesiaCharles Emala; Fiscal Year: 2006..During intubation of the trachea, parasympathetic nerves release acetylcholine that act on M3 muscarinic receptors on airway smooth muscle to promote bronchoconstriction...
- Canonical Transient Receptor Potential (TRPC) subfamily function in Hippocampus.David E Clapham; Fiscal Year: 2010..In particular, Gq/11-linked receptors such as the type 1 metabotropic glutamate and M1, M3, and M5 muscarinic receptors, activate these currents by altering plasma membrane PIP2 and increasing intracellular Ca2+ concentrations...
- M1 and M4 mAChRs in striatum-implication in treatment of movement disordersZixiu Xiang; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR SUBTYPES ON CULTURED CELLST Harden; Fiscal Year: 1991..Rational therapy of a number of pathophysiological conditions, e.g. Alzheimer's disease, can ultimately benefit from this knowledge...
- Interaction of RGS Protein with G beta subunit G beta 5.Vladlen Z Slepak; Fiscal Year: 2010..A family of GPCRs that mediates the action of acetylcholine includes five members called muscarinic receptors (M1R-M5R)...
- XENIN-25: NOVEL REGULATOR OF INSULIN SECRETION AND B-CELL FUNCTIONBurton M Wice; Fiscal Year: 2010..but stimulates acetylcholine release from cholinergic neurons that innervate the islets thereby activating muscarinic receptors on the pancreatic -cell...
- MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR COUPLING TO INOSITIDES IN CNSStephen Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..Accordingly, knowledge of the signal transduction pathways that regulate VSOAC is an essential prerequisite for the rational design of therapeutic agents. ..
- CHOLINERGIC MECHANISMS IN AGING AND ALZHEIMER'S DISEASELINCOLN POTTER; Fiscal Year: 1993..Novel morphological data should be obtained for AD and PD, and these data should provide a good basis for physiological work with the toxin, and for understanding which cells are most likely to be controllable with muscarinic ligands...
- GALLBLADDER MUSCARINIC RECEPTORS IN ACUTE CHOLECYSTITISStuart Myers; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results from the proposed studies will identify future studies on ways to prevent the motor dysfunction that occurs with gallbladder inflammation. ..
- MODULATION OF MUSCARINIC RESPONSES BY INOSITOL LIPIDSESAM EL FAKAHANY; Fiscal Year: 1991..Activation of muscarinic receptors in mouse neuroblastoma cells results in Ca2+ release and cyclic GMP formation; with the latter response ..