Genomes and Genes
Summary: Integrin alpha1beta1 functions as a receptor for LAMININ and COLLAGEN. It is widely expressed during development, but in the adult is the predominant laminin receptor (RECEPTORS, LAMININ) in mature SMOOTH MUSCLE CELLS, where it is important for maintenance of the differentiated phenotype of these cells. Integrin alpha1beta1 is also found in LYMPHOCYTES and microvascular endothelial cells, and may play a role in angiogenesis. In SCHWANN CELLS and neural crest cells, it is involved in cell migration. Integrin alpha1beta1 is also known as VLA-1 and CD49a-CD29.
Publications190 found, 100 shown here
- Collagen and collagenase gene expression in three-dimensional collagen lattices are differentially regulated by alpha 1 beta 1 and alpha 2 beta 1 integrinsO Langholz
Department of Dermatology, University of Cologne, Germany
J Cell Biol 131:1903-15. 1995..The data presented here indicate that different signaling pathways exist leading to the three events discussed here, and that these pathways do not per se depend upon each other...
- Loss of integrin alpha1beta1 ameliorates Kras-induced lung cancerInes Macias-Perez
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Veterans Affairs Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Cancer Res 68:6127-35. 2008The collagen IV binding receptor integrin alpha1beta1 has been shown to regulate lung cancer due to its proangiogenic properties; however, it is unclear whether this receptor also plays a direct role in promoting primary lung tumors...
- Jararhagin-derived RKKH peptides induce structural changes in alpha1I domain of human integrin alpha1beta1Yvonne Nymalm
Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacy, Abo Akademi University, P O Box 66, FIN 20521, Turku, Finland
J Biol Chem 279:7962-70. 2004....
- Human alpha1 type IV collagen NC1 domain exhibits distinct antiangiogenic activity mediated by alpha1beta1 integrinAkulapalli Sudhakar
Cell Signaling and Angiogenesis Laboratory, Department of Genetics, Boys Town National Research Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Clin Invest 115:2801-10. 2005..Collectively, the above data indicate that alpha1(IV)NC1 is a potential therapeutic candidate for targeting tumor angiogenesis...
- Mapping of potent and specific binding motifs, GLOGEN and GVOGEA, for integrin α1β1 using collagen toolkits II and IIISamir W Hamaia
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QW, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 287:26019-28. 2012..These data confirm the selectivity of GFOGER for α2β1 and establish GLOGEN as a high affinity site for α1β1...
- Structure of collagen receptor integrin α(1)I domain carrying the activating mutation E317AMatti Lahti
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, Turku FI 20014, Finland
J Biol Chem 286:43343-51. 2011..To conclude, the activated α(1)I domain represents a novel conformation of the αI domain, mimicking the structural state where the Arg(287)-Glu(317) ion pair has just broken during the integrin activation...
- Integrin alpha1beta1 regulates matrix metalloproteinases via P38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in mesangial cells: implications for Alport syndromeDominic Cosgrove
Boys Town National Research Hospital, 555 No 30th St, Omaha, NE 68131, USA
Am J Pathol 172:761-73. 2008....
- Absence of integrin alpha1beta1 in the mouse causes loss of feedback regulation of collagen synthesis in normal and wounded dermisH Gardner
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California USA 92037, USA
J Cell Sci 112:263-72. 1999b>Integrin alpha1beta1 is a collagen receptor predominantly found in mesenchymal tissues. Mice lacking this receptor are viable...
- Role of integrin alpha1beta1 in the regulation of renal medullary osmolyte concentrationGilbert W Moeckel
Renal Pathology Division, Dept of Pathology, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 2561, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F223-31. 2006..Utilizing inner medullary collecting duct cells, we demonstrate that the lack of integrin alpha1beta1 results in an impaired ability to induce the tonicity enhancer-binding protein TonEBP under hypertonic ..
- Integrin-mediated cell adhesion to type I collagen fibrilsJohanna Jokinen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla FI 40014, Finland
J Biol Chem 279:31956-63. 2004....
- Lack of integrin alpha1beta1 leads to severe glomerulosclerosis after glomerular injuryXiwu Chen
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Vanderbilt University, Medical Center North, B3109, 1161 21st Ave, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Am J Pathol 165:617-30. 2004..Thus, we have identified integrin alpha1beta1 as a modulator of glomerulosclerosis...
- Importance of innate immunity and collagen binding integrin alpha1beta1 in TNBS-induced colitisStefano Fiorucci
Clinica di Gastroenterologia ed Endoscopia Digestiva, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Patologia Università di Perugia, Italy
Immunity 17:769-80. 2002..We investigated the role of the collagen binding integrin alpha1beta1 in a model of colitis. alpha1beta1 was expressed on lamina propria T cells and monocytes during disease...
- Integrin alpha1beta1 regulates epidermal growth factor receptor activation by controlling peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-dependent caveolin-1 expressionXiwu Chen
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Medical Center North B3109, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3048-58. 2010b>Integrin alpha1beta1 negatively regulates the generation of profibrotic reactive oxygen species (ROS) by inhibiting epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) activation; however, the mechanism by which it does this is unknown...
- Integrin alpha1beta1 and transforming growth factor-beta1 play distinct roles in alport glomerular pathogenesis and serve as dual targets for metabolic therapyD Cosgrove
Department of Genetics, Boys Town National Research Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Am J Pathol 157:1649-59. 2000..that two different pathways, one mediated by transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1 and the other by integrin alpha1beta1, affect Alport glomerular pathogenesis in distinct ways...
- The role of alpha1beta1 integrin in wound contraction. A quantitative analysis of liver myofibroblasts in vivo and in primary cultureL Racine-Samson
Liver Center Laboratory, San Francisco General Hospital, and the Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
J Biol Chem 272:30911-7. 1997..Although alpha2beta1 is capable of mediating contraction, its expression by myofibroblasts occurs largely, if not exclusively, in response to culture...
- Collagen-binding integrin alpha1beta1 regulates intestinal inflammation in experimental colitisChristian F Krieglstein
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130 3932, USA
J Clin Invest 110:1773-82. 2002..Therapeutic strategies designed to disrupt such interactions may prove beneficial in treating intestinal inflammation...
- The alpha(1)beta(1) and alpha(2)beta(1) integrins provide critical support for vascular endothelial growth factor signaling, endothelial cell migration, and tumor angiogenesisDonald R Senger
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston 02215, USA
Am J Pathol 160:195-204. 2002..Collectively, these studies identify critical collaborative functions for the alpha(1)beta(1) and alpha(2)beta(1) integrins in supporting VEGF signal transduction, EC migration, and tumor angiogenesis...
- Alterations in fibroblast alpha1beta1 integrin collagen receptor expression in keloids and hypertrophic scarsGreg Szulgit
Department of Biology, Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio, USA
J Invest Dermatol 118:409-15. 2002....
- A novel binding site in collagen type III for integrins alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1Jiyeun Kate Kim
The Center for Extracellular Matrix Biology, Texas A and M University Health Science Center, Institute of BioScience and Technology, Houston, 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 280:32512-20. 2005..Furthermore, the GROGER-containing peptide supported adhesion of human lung fibroblast cells when coated on a culture dish. Thus, we have identified a novel high affinity binding sequence for the collagen-binding integrin I domains...
- Characterization of the anti-angiogenic properties of arresten, an alpha1beta1 integrin-dependent collagen-derived tumor suppressorPia Nyberg
Center for Matrix Biology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Exp Cell Res 314:3292-305. 2008..Collectively, this data sheds more light into the anti-angiogenic mechanism of arresten...
- Integrin alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 are the key regulators of hepatocarcinoma cell invasion across the fibrotic matrix microenvironmentChangqing Yang
Department of Medicine and the Liver Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Cancer Res 63:8312-7. 2003....
- Integrin alpha1beta1 is involved in the differentiation into myofibroblasts in adult reactive tissues in vivoAlejandro Rodriguez
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, Biomedical Center, Uppsala, Sweden
J Cell Mol Med 13:3449-62. 2009....
- Integrin alpha1beta1 controls reactive oxygen species synthesis by negatively regulating epidermal growth factor receptor-mediated Rac activationXiwu Chen
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:3313-26. 2007..Thus, our study demonstrates that integrin alpha1beta1-EGFR cross talk is a key step in negatively regulating Rac1 activation, ROS production, and excessive ..
- Enhancement of cell adhesion and spreading by a cartilage-specific noncollagenous protein, cartilage matrix protein (CMP/Matrilin-1), via integrin alpha1beta1S Makihira
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Hiroshima University School of Dentistry, 1 2 3, Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8553, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:11417-23. 1999..is a potent adhesion factor for chondrocytes, particularly in the presence of type II collagen, and that integrin alpha1beta1 is involved in CMP-mediated cell adhesion and spreading...
- Integrin alpha1beta1 mediates collagen induction of MMP-13 expression in MC615 chondrocytesMarie Claire Ronzière
Laboratoire de Biologie et Ingénierie du Cartilage, Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Proteines, UMR 5086 CNRS UCBL, IFR 128 Biosciences Lyon Gerland, 7 passage du Vercors, 69367 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1746:55-64. 2005..Interestingly, bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-2 opposed this induction, an effect that may be related to a role of BMP-2 in the maintenance of cartilage matrix...
- Negative regulation of EGFR signalling through integrin-alpha1beta1-mediated activation of protein tyrosine phosphatase TCPTPElina Mattila
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Medical Biotechnology and University of Turku Centre for Biotechnology, Turku FIN 20520, Finland
Nat Cell Biol 7:78-85. 2005..These data are the first demonstration of the regulation of TCPTP activity in vivo and represent a new molecular paradigm of integrin-mediated negative regulation of receptor tyrosine kinase signalling...
- Expression of collagen-binding integrin receptors in the mammalian sclera and their regulation during the development of myopiaNeville A McBrien
Department of Optometry and Vision Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia 3010
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:4674-82. 2006..This study identified the major collagen-binding integrin receptors in the mammalian sclera and investigated their mRNA expression during the development of and recovery from experimental myopia...
- Favourable melanoma prognosis associated with the expression of the tumour necrosis factor receptor and the alpha1beta1 integrin: a preliminary reportA Gilhar
The B Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Melanoma Res 7:486-95. 1997....
- Collagen I initiates endothelial cell morphogenesis by inducing actin polymerization through suppression of cyclic AMP and protein kinase AMary C Whelan
Division of Cancer Biology and Angiogenesis, Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 278:327-34. 2003....
- Prolyl hydroxylation of collagen type I is required for efficient binding to integrin alpha 1 beta 1 and platelet glycoprotein VI but not to alpha 2 beta 1Stéephanie Perret
Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Proteines, CNRS UMR 5086, IFR128 Biosciences Lyon Gerland, 7 passage du Vercors, 69367 Lyon, Cedex 7, France
J Biol Chem 278:29873-9. 2003..These observations give new insights into the molecular basis of collagen-receptor interactions and offer new selective applications for the recombinant unhydroxylated collagen I...
- Regulation of inflammation by collagen-binding integrins alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 in models of hypersensitivity and arthritisA R de Fougerolles
Biogen Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Clin Invest 105:721-9. 2000....
- Binding and docking of synthetic heterotrimeric collagen type IV peptides with alpha1beta1 integrinBarbara Saccà
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Chembiochem 3:904-7. 2002
- The collagen binding alpha1beta1 integrin VLA-1 regulates CD8 T cell-mediated immune protection against heterologous influenza infectionSteven J Ray
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, Aab Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Immunity 20:167-79. 2004..This suggests that VLA-1 is responsible for retaining protective memory CD8 T cells in the lung and other tissues via attachment to the extracellular matrix...
- Phospholipase Cgamma binds alpha1beta1 integrin and modulates alpha1beta1 integrin-specific adhesionDörte Vossmeyer
Institut fur Molekularbiologie und Biochemie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Arnimallee 22, D 14195 Berlin Dahlem, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:4636-43. 2002..Cells lacking the conserved domain of the alpha(1) subunit fail to respond to the PLC inhibition, indicating that this domain is necessary for PLC-dependent adhesion modulation of alpha(1)beta(1) integrin...
- Collagen-binding I domain integrins--what do they do?Donald E Gullberg
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Biomedical Center, Box 582, Uppsala University, S 75123 Uppsala, Sweden
Prog Histochem Cytochem 37:3-54. 2002..In this review we will describe what is currently known about the collagen-binding integrins and discuss their biological functions...
- Structural determinants of the selectivity of KTS-disintegrins for the alpha1beta1 integrinDariusz G Kisiel
Center for Neurovirology and Cancer Biology, Temple University, College of Science and Technology, 1900 N, 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
FEBS Lett 577:478-82. 2004....
- Adaptor protein-2 exhibits alpha 1 beta 1 or alpha 6 beta 1 integrin-dependent redistribution in rhabdomyosarcoma cellsNikhat D Boyd
Department of Chemistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5B7, Canada
Biochemistry 41:7232-40. 2002..Interestingly, alpha(6)beta(1) integrins are not located in coated pits, demonstrating that integrin colocalization with AP-2 is not necessary to induce redistribution of AP-2...
- Role of the I-domain in collagen binding specificity and activation of the integrins alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1A Kern
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Cell Physiol 176:634-41. 1998..This ion requirement was not found in CHO cells, implicating the I domain in cell type-specific activation of integrins...
- Integrin-mediated preadipocyte adhesion and migration on laminin-1Charles W Patrick
Laboratory of Reparative Biology and Bioengineering, Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 443, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 31:505-14. 2003..These results strongly support the hypothesis that preadipocyte adhesion to and migration on laminin-1 substrata are regulated, in part, by integrins...
- Lymphocytes expressing alpha1beta1 integrin (very late antigen-1) in peripheral blood of patients with arthritis are a subset of CD45RO(+) T-cells primed for rapid adhesion to collagen IVIlan Bank
Department of Medicine F, Chaim Sheba Medical Center and Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, 52621, Israel
Clin Immunol 105:247-58. 2002..These results suggest that VLA-1(+) CD45RO(+) T-cells in patients with arthritis could play a role in both systemic and local inflammation by rapidly adhering to collagen IV...
- Angiogenesis promoted by vascular endothelial growth factor: regulation through alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 integrinsD R Senger
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:13612-7. 1997....
- Modulation of alpha1beta1 integrin mediated adhesion of hepatocytes to collagen IV and laminin by divalent cationsB Menon
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Trivandrum, India
Indian J Biochem Biophys 38:159-65. 2001....
- Lovastatin and phospholipase Cgamma regulate constitutive and protein kinase C dependent integrin mediated interactions of human T-cells with collagenIlan Bank
Department of Medicine F, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Cell Immunol 223:35-45. 2003..These results suggest new ways for functional modulation of activated T-cells interacting with collagen...
- Differential expression of collagen- and laminin-binding integrins mediates ureteric bud and inner medullary collecting duct cell tubulogenesisDong Chen
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287:F602-11. 2004..This suggests that temporal and spatial changes in integrin expression could help organize the pattern of branching morphogenesis of the developing collecting system in vivo...
- Synthetic heterotrimeric collagen peptides as mimics of cell adhesion sites of the basement membraneChristian Renner
Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Biopolymers 76:34-47. 2004..Optimal local breathing of the rod-shaped collagens is apparently crucial for selective recognition by proteins interacting with these main components of the extracellular matrix...
- The alpha 1 beta 1 and alpha E beta 7 integrins define a subset of dendritic cells in peripheral lymph nodes with unique adhesive and antigen uptake propertiesJonathan T Pribila
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Center for Immunology, Cancer Center, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Immunol 172:282-91. 2004....
- Expression and functional importance of collagen-binding integrins, alpha 1 beta 1 and alpha 2 beta 1, on virus-activated T cellsSusanne Ø Andreasen
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Panum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark Biogen, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Immunol 171:2804-11. 2003....
- Distinct recognition of collagen subtypes by alpha(1)beta(1) and alpha(2)beta(1) integrins. Alpha(1)beta(1) mediates cell adhesion to type XIII collagenP Nykvist
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, FIN 40351 Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Biol Chem 275:8255-61. 2000..However, despite the fact that CHO-alpha1beta1 cells could not spread on type II collagen alpha(1)I domain could bind to this collagen type. Thus, the cell spreading on collagens may also be regulated by factors other than the integrins...
- Type VIII collagen stimulates smooth muscle cell migration and matrix metalloproteinase synthesis after arterial injuryG Hou
Terrence Donnelly Research Laboratories, Division of Cardiology, St Michael s Hospital, Department of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 156:467-76. 2000....
- Detection of soluble alpha1 integrin in human serumI Bank
Department of Medicine, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Israel
J Lab Clin Med 134:599-604. 1999..These results suggest, for the first time, that salpha1 are present in healthy and diseased human serum...
- The small Gtpase ras is involved in growth factor-regulated expression of the alpha1 integrin subunit in PC12 cellsK Danker
, , Germany
Biol Chem 382:969-72. 2001..In cells expressing the dominant-negative RasN17 variant, alpha1 integrin expression and alpha1beta1-specific adhesion remain unchanged in response to both growth factors...
- Integrin alpha1beta1 (VLA-1) mediates adhesion of activated intraepithelial lymphocytes to collagenA I Roberts
Department of Medicine, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NY, USA
Immunology 97:679-85. 1999..Therefore, IELs bind collagen through integrin alpha1beta1 after protein kinase C activation. Adhesion is modulated by divalent cations.
- RGD-CAP ((beta)ig-h3) enhances the spreading of chondrocytes and fibroblasts via integrin alpha(1)beta(1)S Ohno
Department of Orthodontics, Hiroshima University School of Dentistry, Hiroshima 734 8553, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1451:196-205. 1999..Accordingly, an RGD-CAP fragment, which carries a deletion in the C-terminal region containing the RGD motif, was still capable of stimulating cell spreading...
- Endothelin-1 is a potent stimulator of alpha1beta1 integrin-mediated collagen matrix remodeling by rat mesangial cellsA Kitamura
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Tokushima, Kuramoto cho 3 chome, Tokushima 770 8504, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299:555-61. 2002..We therefore conclude that ET is a potential molecule inducing pathological collagen matrix remodeling observed in progressive GN...
- Mycophenolate mofetil modulates adhesion receptors of the beta1 integrin family on tumor cells: impact on tumor recurrence and malignancyTobias Engl
Zentrum der Chirurgie, Klinik für Urologie und Kinderurologie, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
BMC Cancer 5:4. 2005..We therefore investigated the adhesion capacity of colon, pancreas, prostate and kidney carcinoma cell lines to endothelium, as well as their beta1 integrin expression profile before and after MMF treatment...
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 stimulates collagen matrix remodeling through increased adhesive and contractive potential by human renal fibroblastsShuji Kondo
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Tokushima, Kuramoto cho 3 chome, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1693:91-100. 2004....
- Integrin alpha2beta1 mediates the anti-angiogenic and anti-tumor activities of angiocidin, a novel tumor-associated proteinYamini Sabherwal
Department of Neuroscience, Center for Neurovirology, Temple University School of Medicine, 1900 North 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Exp Cell Res 312:2443-53. 2006..Our results provide support for the concept that targeting matrix-cell interactions is a viable strategy for the development of anti-cancer therapeutics...
- Integrins alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 are receptors for the rotavirus enterotoxinNeung Seon Seo
Center for Extracellular Matrix Biology, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:8811-8. 2008....
- The role of the I domain in ligand binding of the human integrin alpha 1 beta 1A Kern
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032
J Biol Chem 269:22811-6. 1994..Since a previously reported mutation of a homologous Asp in the Mac-1 I domain has similar consequences, these results suggest a central role for the I domain in ligand recognition for all integrin alpha subunits containing this domain...
- Collagen receptor integrins: rising to the challengeK D McCall-Culbreath
Department of Microbiology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Curr Drug Targets 9:139-49. 2008..Finally, we will elucidate the interesting and sometimes overlapping roles for alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 integrins in disease and will propose potential stategies to therapeutically target these receptors to alleviate or treat disease...
- Matrilins mediate weak cell attachment without promoting focal adhesion formationHenning H Mann
Center for Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Matrix Biol 26:167-74. 2007..deficient in beta1 integrins are able to adhere, although weaker, and matrilins do not bind the soluble integrin alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 ectodomains...
- Collagen distribution and expression of collagen-binding alpha1beta1 (VLA-1) and alpha2beta1 (VLA-2) integrins on CD4 and CD8 T cells during influenza infectionMartin Richter
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, Aab Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Immunol 178:4506-16. 2007..These observations suggest that CD4 T cell interaction with the tissue microenvironment is distinct from CD8 T cells and support the concept that CD4+ T cells in peripheral tissues are regulated differently than the CD8 subset...
- A novel subcellular collagen organization process visualized by total internal reflection fluorescence microscopyErik F Young
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 14:169-80. 2007..Cells expressing alpha1beta1 also perform this collagen organization process, but less proficiently. This work will provide a basis for subsequent studies of cell-mediated collagen fibril assembly...
- Effects of anti-alpha1 integrin subunit antibody on anti-Thy-1 glomerulonephritisShoji Kagami
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Tokushima, Japan
Lab Invest 82:1219-27. 2002..Platelet-derived growth factor-BB may be involved in early collagen matrix reorganization leading to pathologic mesangial remodeling in this GN model...
- Collagen XVI harbors an integrin alpha1 beta1 recognition site in its C-terminal domainsJohannes A Eble
Institute for Physiological Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, Muenster University Hospital, Waldeyerstrasse 15, 48149 Muenster, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:25745-56. 2006....
- Integrins and dystroglycan regulate astrocyte wound healing: the integrin beta1 subunit is necessary for process extension and orienting the microtubular networkHuashan Peng
Centre for Research in Neuroscience, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1A4
Dev Neurobiol 68:559-74. 2008..Functionally, inhibitory antibodies to DG and integrin alpha1beta1 or the RGD peptide all inhibit process extension, showing that ligand engagement of integrins and DG ..
- Lebestatin, a disintegrin from Macrovipera venom, inhibits integrin-mediated cell adhesion, migration and angiogenesisKallech Ziri Olfa
Laboratoire des Venins et Toxines, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Tunis Belvedere, Tunisie
Lab Invest 85:1507-16. 2005..This disintegrin also affected adhesion and migration of endothelial cells and exhibited an anti-angiogenic effect in vivo when using the 8-day-old embryo chick chorioallantoic membrane model...
- Genetic deletion or antibody blockade of alpha1beta1 integrin induces a stable plaque phenotype in ApoE-/- miceKitty Schapira
Department of Pathology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1917-24. 2005Adhesive interactions between cells and the extracellular matrix play an important role in inflammatory diseases like atherosclerosis. We investigated the role of the collagen-binding integrin alpha1beta1 in atherosclerosis.
- Adrenocortical zonation factor 1 is a novel matricellular protein promoting integrin-mediated adhesion of adrenocortical and vascular smooth muscle cellsDan Li
Department of Biochemistry and Integrative Medical Biology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
FEBS J 274:2506-22. 2007..Collectively with the putative role of AZ-1 in the adrenocortical zonation, we propose that AZ-1 potentially regulates functions of adrenocortical and VSM cells by modulating cell-matrix interactions...
- Human skin mast cells express functional beta 1 integrins that mediate adhesion to extracellular matrix proteinsM Columbo
Division of Clinical Immunology, University of Naples Federico II School of Medicine, Italy
J Immunol 154:6058-64. 1995..Interactions between these beta 1 integrins and extracellular matrix proteins may be involved in perivascular tissue localization of human mast cells in vivo...
- Adhesion molecules VLA-1 to VLA-6 define discrete stages of peripheral B lymphocyte development and characterize different types of B cell neoplasiaP Moller
Institute of Pathology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Leukemia 6:256-64. 1992..With respect to the well-known clinical characteristics of the B cell malignancies examined, the leukemic phenotype might crucially depend on the presence of VLA-5...
- Tumour progression and metastatic behaviour in vivo correlates with integrin expression on melanocytic tumoursD Schadendorf
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Rudolf Virchow, FU Berlin, Germany
J Pathol 170:429-34. 1993....
- Exposure to vinblastine modulates beta 1 integrin expression and in vitro binding to extracellular matrix molecules in a human renal carcinoma cell lineS Duensing
Department of Hematology, Hannover University Medical School, Germany
Invasion Metastasis 16:65-72. 1996..Future studies will be needed to characterize the clinical relevance of MDR-associated changes in tumor cells...
- Very late antigen (VLA) expression in various forms of epidermolysis bullosa simplexV Nazzaro
I Clinica Dermatologica, University of Milan IRCCS, Ospedale Maggiore, Italy
Arch Dermatol Res 283:1-4. 1991..Our data show that anti-VLA-3 and anti-VLA-6 can usefully be utilized in diagnostic immunomapping studies of EBs...
- T-cell activation profiles in different granulomatous interstitial lung diseases--a role for CD8+CD28(null) cells?M Heron
Center for Interstitial Lung Diseases, Department of Pulmonology, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Immunol 160:256-65. 2010..In sarcoidosis, blood CD8+CD28(null) cells might be a new biomarker for disease severity but needs further investigation...
- Cellular receptors for matrix proteins in normal human kidney and human mesangial cellsF G Cosio
Department of Internal Medicine and Pathology, Ohio State University, Columbus
Kidney Int 38:886-95. 1990..MC FN receptors (VLA-5) mediate the binding of MC to FN and could mediate the phagocytosis of FN coated antigen or immune complexes by mesangial cells...
- Distribution of beta 1, alpha 1, alpha 2 and alpha 3 integrin chains in basal cell carcinomasG W Stamp
ICRF RCS Histopathology Unit, London
J Pathol 163:307-13. 1991....
- Expression of VLA-alpha 2, VLA-alpha 6, and VLA-beta 1 chains in normal mucosa and adenomas of the colon, and in colon carcinomas and their liver metastasesK Koretz
Institute of Pathology, Heidelberg University, FRG
Am J Pathol 138:741-50. 1991..The down regulation/loss of VLA proteins in a subset of epithelial colon tumors might cause a disturbed cell-cell/cell-matrix interaction that might augment the invasive property of their cells...
- VLA-2 is the integrin used as a collagen receptor by leukocytesR Goldman
Macrophage Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, Great Britain
Eur J Immunol 22:1109-14. 1992..However, LFA-1, CR3 and p150,95 showed no collagen binding activity, suggesting that the I domain has another function...
- Differential expression of very late activation antigen-3 (VLA-3)/VLA-4 in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma and B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemiaL Baldini
Department of Hematology, Centro G Marcora, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Blood 79:2688-93. 1992....
- Recovery of purification-associated reduction in antigen-induced histamine release from rat peritoneal mast cellsN Inagaki
Department of Pharmacology, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 24:829-34. 2001..Adhesion molecules such as ICAM-1, LFA-1 and VLA are not involved...
- Type IV collagen induces expression of thrombospondin-1 that is mediated by integrin alpha1beta1 in astrocytesTomoko Yonezawa
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Okayama, Japan
Glia 58:755-67. 2010..Using function-blocking antibodies, we found that the effect of type IV collagen was attributed to integrin alpha1beta1 in primary astrocytes...
- Collagen type I modulates the platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) regulation of the growth and expression of beta1 integrins by rat mesangial cellsS Kagami
School of Medicine, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, 770 0042, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 252:728-32. 1998..A spatial interaction between MCs and pathological collagen I in GN may influence the PDGF regulation of the MC phenotype regarding the cell growth and the expression of beta1 integrins...
- Expression of functional very late antigen-alpha 1, -alpha 2, -alpha 3 and -alpha 6 integrins on Ewing's sarcoma and primitive peripheral neuroectodermal tumour cells and modulation by interferon-gamma and tumour necrosis factor-alphaF van Valen
Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, , , Germany
Eur J Cancer 30:2119-25. 1994..Furthermore, our data indicate that IFN gamma- and TNF alpha-mediated alteration in the level of expression of distinct VLAs on ES and pPNET cells is correlated with changes in the adhesive behaviour of these tumour cells...
- [Expression of beta 1 integrins in normal B lymphocytes at different stages of development and in B cell neoplasias]A Eichelmann
Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol 76:230-6. 1992..Thus, FCCL although roughly corresponding to FC, tended to aberrantly express VLA-3 and/or VLA-4. Burkitt's lymphoma resembled FCCL but expressed VLA-4 more frequently and at higher levels.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Regulation of proteins in the VLA cell substrate adhesion family: influence of cell growth conditions on VLA-1, VLA-2, and VLA-3 expressionE Fingerman
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Exp Cell Res 177:132-42. 1988..Elevation of VLA-1/VLA-2 and VLA-1/VLA-3 ratios is generally associated with quiescence and is not due just to serum deprivation since density arrest of cells at confluence had similar effects on these ratios...
- In vivo distribution of integrins in renal cell carcinoma: integrin-phenotype alteration in different degrees of tumor differentiation and VLA-2 involvement in tumor metastasisG Anastassiou
Department of Hematology Oncology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Cancer Biother 10:287-92. 1995..005). Our results suggest that VLA-2 integrin is involved in metastasis of RCC and that poorly differentiated tumor cells have a different integrin phenotype when compared to normal or highly differentiated tumor cells...
- Association of the VLA alpha 6 subunit with a novel protein. A possible alternative to the common VLA beta 1 subunit on certain cell linesM E Hemler
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Biol Chem 264:6529-35. 1989..The beta 4 subunit may be of major importance because (i) it is highly abundant on the surface of colon carcinoma cell lines, and (ii) it is highly immunogenic relative to other surface proteins...
- Identification of collagen and laminin receptor integrins on murine T lymphocytesS Miyake
Division of Rheumatology and Internal Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Immunol 24:2000-5. 1994..These results indicate that VLA-1 and VLA-2 play an important role in regulating adhesion and cytokine production of activated T cells...
- Flow cytometric analysis of surface antigens on human conjunctival epithelial cellsT Fujihara
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Ophthalmic Res 29:103-9. 1997..Our study suggests that these techniques may aid in identifying changes in the expression levels of various surface antigens on conjunctival epithelial cells that could occur in ocular surface disease...
- Human platelet alloantigens Bra/Brb are expressed on the very late activation antigen 2 (VLA-2) of T lymphocytesS Santoso
Institute for Clinical Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Federal Republic of Germany
Hum Immunol 25:237-46. 1989..Our results provide evidence for the expression of the Bra/Brb platelet alloantigen system on VLA-2 antigens of activated T lymphocytes and demonstrate a genetic polymorphism of VLA-2 molecules on both cell lines...
- [Is chronic graft rejection the reason for degenerative changes in allogeneic and xenogeneic heart valve prostheses: immunohistochemical evaluation of inflammatory factors]Mathias Wilhelmi
Abt f Thorax, Herz und Gefässchirurgie Medizinische Hochschule Hannover Carl Neuberg Strasse 1 30627 Hannover, Germany
Z Kardiol 91:825-32. 2002..Although many efforts have been made to identify underlying mechanisms, many questions remain unanswered. Here we evaluate immunological factors and their potential role in biological heart valve destruction...
- Expression patterns of integrin receptors and extracellular matrix proteins in chronic rejection of human liver allograftsG Demirci
, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Transpl Immunol 7:229-37. 1999....
- VLA family in rheumatoid arthritis: evidence for in vivo regulated adhesion of synovial fluid T cells to fibronectin through VLA-5 integrinR García-Vicuña
Seccione de Reumatología, Hospital de la Princesa, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Clin Exp Immunol 88:435-41. 1992..The evidence for the expression of VLA heterodimers on both SF and SM cells from RA patients suggests the possible implication of ECM proteins in mediating and perpetuating inflammation in vivo...
- Accelerated, aging-dependent development of osteoarthritis in alpha1 integrin-deficient miceMichihisa Zemmyo
The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
Arthritis Rheum 48:2873-80. 2003..Mice with targeted inactivation of the integrin alpha1 gene (alpha1-KO mice) provide a model that can be used to address the role of cell-matrix interactions in cartilage homeostasis and osteoarthritis (OA) pathogenesis...
- Endothelial cells promote human immunodeficiency virus replication in nondividing memory T cells via Nef-, Vpr-, and T-cell receptor-dependent activation of NFATJaehyuk Choi
Section of Immunology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Virol 79:11194-204. 2005....
- CD4 T-lymphocyte activation in acute severe asthma. Relationship to disease severity and atopic statusC J Corrigan
Department of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, National Heart and Lung Institute, Brompton Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am Rev Respir Dis 141:970-7. 1990..Concentrations decreased as the patients improved clinically during the first 3-day period of hospital treatment.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Molecular cloning of the rat integrin alpha 1-subunit: a receptor for laminin and collagenM J Ignatius
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0724
J Cell Biol 111:709-20. 1990....
- Evidence of T-cell activation and potential cytokine action in human endometriumS Tabibzadeh
Department of Pathology, City Hospital Center, Elmhurst, New York 11373
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 71:645-9. 1990..Evidence for activation of T-cells and expression of interferon-gamma receptor in human endometrial epithelium suggests that endometrium may be an active site for cytokine action...
- Factor XIIIA mobilizes transglutaminase 2 to induce chondrocyte hypertrophic differentiationKristen A Johnson
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, UCSD, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
J Cell Sci 121:2256-64. 2008..Our results identify a unique functional network between two cartilage TG isoenzymes that accelerates chondrocyte maturation without requirement for TG-catalyzed transamidation by either TG...
- Identification of a melanoma progression antigen as integrin VLA-2C E Klein
Department of Dermatology, University of Ulm, West Germany
J Invest Dermatol 96:281-4. 1991..In sequential immunoprecipitation experiments, we show that A.1.43 is identical with the integrin VLA-2, a cell surface receptor for collagen, laminin, and fibronectin...
- Role of a3a4a5(IV) collagen in podocyte behaviorCorina Borza; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Pivotal role of VLA-1 in CD8 T cell retention & survivalDavid Topham; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also test the prediction that the VLA-1+ memory T cells are functionally distinct and important for secondary immune protection. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeting alfa 1beta1 integrin in cancer developmentCezary Marcinkiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- INTEGRIN ALPHA1BETA1 AND SCLERODERMAHumphrey Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies will enable them to determine the role of integrin a1b1 in scleroderma and may direct them in the future to dissect the a1 signaling pathway as a target for anti-fibrotic agents. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS--BACTERIAL ADHERENCE TO CEMENTUMSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2008..This greatly simplifies the design of artificial salivary molecules that mimic the natural bacterial receptor activity of this fluid, as well as competitive inhibitors of plaque formation. ..
- Role of COX2 in Medullary Interstitial Cell Survival and FunctionGilbert Moeckel; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is necessary to understand how these cells function in order to design better drugs to treat high blood pressure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cataloguing the Human Salivary ProteomeSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2007..We envision that the data from this project will have important relevance to on-going efforts to improve oral health. ..
- Role of Organic Osmolytes in Renal Papillary NecrosisGilbert Moeckel; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is necessary to understand these processes in order to design effective diagnostic procedures, therapeutic approaches and preventive measures for RPN. ..
- VASCULARIZATION IN TISSUE ENGINEERED CONSTRUCTSCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2001..does TEC-recipient inosculation play in TEC vascularization? (b) What are the biological functions of CD144, principally with regards to its role in inosculation and its regulation by the unique TEC microenvironment? ..
- ANTAGONISM OF VEGF-DRIVEN ANGIOGENESISDONALD SENGER; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- BETA 1 INTEGRIN ANTAGONISM & RETINAL NEOVASCULARIZATIONDONALD SENGER; Fiscal Year: 2001..Moreover, it is anticipated that findings here will suggest new strategies for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Trophoblast Selectins and Their Uterine Mucin LigandsSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- A NOVEL VASCULOGENESIS PROGRAM IN CYTOTROPHOBLASTSSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2003..Whether these mechanisms could inhibit tumor-induced angiogenesis, and consequently tumor growth, is another intriguing possibility. ..
- ADAPTATION OF NEURONS TO INHIBITORY EXTRACELLULAR MATRIXMaureen Condic; Fiscal Year: 2002..In summary, these experiments will greatly strengthen our understanding of two novel forms of integrin regulation, and potentially provide a basis for improving the regenerative performance of adult neurons. ..
- 3D Adipose Tissue Generation and Functional VerificationCharles Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- AUTOIMMUNITY CENTERS OF EXCELLENCELeonard Chess; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, we plan new basic studies of the control of the autoreactive T cell repertoire in autoimmune disease by analysis of EAE in the mouse and studies of human regulatory cells in TIDM. ..
- Specification and development of sensory neuronsMaureen Condic; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Neuronal Guidance Mechanisms in Placental DevelopmentSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2009..In doing so, we will gain important insights into the etiology of PE, GTDs and, perhaps, other types of tumors. ..