Genomes and Genes
Summary: Family of cell adhesion molecules consisting of a lectin-like domain, an epidermal growth factor-like domain, and a variable number of domains that encode proteins homologous to complement-binding proteins. Selectins mediate the binding of leukocytes to the vascular endothelium. (From Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications203 found, 100 shown here
- Molecular mechanisms of leukocyte recruitment: organ-specific mechanisms of actionLixin Liu
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thromb Haemost 89:213-20. 2003..In the brain microvasculature, where shears are high and adhesion molecule expression low, platelets may play an important role as a bridge between the leukocytes and endothelium...
- Selectins promote tumor metastasisHeinz Laubli
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Cancer Biol 20:169-77. 2010..b>Selectins are carbohydrate-binding molecules that bind to sialylated, fucosylated glycan structures, and are found on ..
- Cancer cells in transit: the vascular interactions of tumor cellsKonstantinos Konstantopoulos
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 11:177-202. 2009..review brings together diverse observations about the contributions of key molecular constituents, including selectins, fibrin(ogen), and CD44, in one mechanistic interpretation...
- The role of selectins in inflammation and diseaseKlaus Ley
Cardiovascular Research Center, MR5 Building, Room 1013, University of Virginia, PO Box 801394, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1394, USA
Trends Mol Med 9:263-8. 2003b>Selectins are carbohydrate-binding molecules that bind to fucosylated and sialylated glycoprotein ligands, and are found on endothelial cells, leukocytes and platelets...
- Interactions between endothelial selectins and cancer cells regulate metastasisCatherine A St Hill
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, University of Minnesota, Room C339, Veterinary Medical Center, 1352 Boyd Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 16:3233-51. 2011The selectins: E-selectin, P-selectin, and L-selectin are adhesion molecules that are crucial for binding of circulating leukocytes to vascular endothelium during the inflammatory response to injury or infection...
- Differential expression of selectins by mouse brain capillary endothelial cells in vitro in response to distinct inflammatory stimuliCaroline Coisne
EA 2465 Université d Artois, Faculté des Sciences Jean Perrin, 62307 Lens, France
Neurosci Lett 392:216-20. 2006..Although the role of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 has been well documented, the expression and role of selectins is still a matter of controversy...
- Memory T cells are enriched in lymph nodes of selectin-ligand-deficient miceJohn R Harp
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Immunol 185:5751-61. 2010..These results suggest that memory T cells are enriched in LNs with T cell deficits by several mechanisms, including longer T cell retention and increased homeostatic proliferation...
- Selectins and glycosyltransferases in leukocyte rolling in vivoMarkus Sperandio
University Children s Hospital Heidelberg, Division of Neonatal Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany
FEBS J 273:4377-89. 2006..Leukocyte rolling is mediated by a group of C-type lectins, termed selectins. Three different selectins have been identified - P-, E- and L-selectin - which recognize and bind to crucial ..
- Physiology and pathophysiology of selectins, integrins, and IgSF cell adhesion molecules focusing on inflammation. A paradigm model on infectious endocarditisChristos Golias
Department of Physiology, Medical Faculty, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Cell Commun Adhes 18:19-32. 2011..CAMs such as selectins, integrins, and immunoglobulin superfamily take part in interactions between leukocyte and vascular endothelium (..
- Selectins: lectins that initiate cell adhesion under flowRodger P McEver
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oklahoma Center for Medical Glycobiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 14:581-6. 2002Interactions of selectins with cell-surface glycoconjugates mediate tethering and rolling adhesion of leukocytes and platelets on vascular surfaces...
- Targeting adenovirus gene delivery to activated tumour-associated vasculature via endothelial selectinsHouria Bachtarzi
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford OX3 7DQ, UK
J Control Release 150:196-203. 2011..Employment of optimal viral modification using protein G will enable exploration and comparison of alternative targeting ligands targeting tumour-associated endothelium...
- The role of selectins in Drosophila eye and bristle developmentL A Leshko-Lindsay
Department of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Development 124:169-80. 1997..Thefw gene has been cloned and shown to encode a protein homologous to vertebrate selectins. Like selectins, Fw contains a lectin-binding domain, ten complement binding repeats, and a transmembrane domain...
- Relative contributions of selectins and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 to tissue injury induced by immune complex depositionKoichi Yanaba
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
Am J Pathol 162:1463-73. 2003..To assess the relative contribution of adhesion molecules, including selectins and ICAM-1, in this pathogenetic process, the cutaneous passive Arthus reaction was examined in mice lacking E-..
- Lymphocyte trafficking through blood and lymphatic vessels: more than just selectins, chemokines and integrinsDietmar Vestweber
Max Planck Institute of Vascular Biology and Institute of Cell Biology, ZMBE, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Eur J Immunol 33:1361-4. 2003
- Molecular stiffness of selectinsKrishna K Sarangapani
Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
J Biol Chem 286:9567-76. 2011..From mechanical measurements with atomic force microscopy, we analyzed the molecular characteristics of selectins complexed with ligands and antibodies. Respective stiffness of L-, E-, and P-selectins (4.2, 1.4, and 0...
- Sepsis: emerging role of nitric oxide and selectinsAbhijit Chandra
Department of Surgery, King George Medical University Lucknow, India
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 61:71-6. 2006..an abnormally enhanced host inflammatory response that leads to neutrophil recruitment and activation involving selectins, a class of adhesion molecules, in the initial stages...
- Selectins and selectin ligands in extravasation of cancer cells and organ selectivity of metastasisStéphanie Gout
Le Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie de l Université Laval, L Hôtel Dieu de Québec, Quebec, Canada
Clin Exp Metastasis 25:335-44. 2008..The aim of this review is to make an integrative up-date of the mechanisms that govern the organ selectivity of the metastatic process focusing more especially on the role of selectins and selectin ligands.
- Overlapping roles of endothelial selectins and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 in immune complex-induced leukocyte recruitment in the cremasteric microvasculatureM Ursula Norman
Centre for Inflammatory Diseases, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Am J Pathol 163:1491-503. 2003..These observations demonstrate that immune complex-mediated leukocyte recruitment in the cremaster muscle involves overlapping roles for the endothelial selectins and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1.
- Normal cellular prion protein is a ligand of selectins: binding requires Le(X) but is inhibited by sLe(X)Chaoyang Li
Institute of Pathology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44107 1712, U S A
Biochem J 406:333-41. 2007..sLe(X) is a ligand of selectins. To examine whether PrP(C) is a ligand of selectins, we generated three human PrP(C)-Ig fusion proteins: one ..
- Selectins-an emerging target for drug deliveryCarsten Ehrhardt
Department of Biopharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Saarland University, Building 8 1, 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:527-49. 2004b>Selectins are multifunctional adhesion molecules that mediate the initial interactions between circulating leukocytes and cells of the endothelium...
- Fuc-TVII is required for T helper 1 and T cytotoxic 1 lymphocyte selectin ligand expression and recruitment in inflammation, and together with Fuc-TIV regulates naive T cell trafficking to lymph nodesG Smithson
Department of Pathology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Exp Med 194:601-14. 2001....
- Signal transduction by cell adhesion receptors and the cytoskeleton: functions of integrins, cadherins, selectins, and immunoglobulin-superfamily membersR L Juliano
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 42:283-323. 2002..Recent advances have provided insights into mechanisms underlying the ability of integrins, cadherins, selectins, and other cell adhesion molecules to regulate signal transduction cascades...
- Blood oxidative status and selectins plasma levels in healthy donors receiving granulocyte-colony stimulating factorG Cella
Department of Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Padova, Italy
Leukemia 20:1430-4. 2006..MPO), hydroperoxides, nitric oxide (NO), and soluble endothelium (sES), leukocyte (sLS), and platelet (sPS) selectins were measured...
- Application of Evidence Investigator for the simultaneous measurement of soluble adhesion molecules: L-, P-, E- selectins, VCAM-1, ICAM-1 in a biochip platformDamien McAleer
Randox Laboratories, 55 Diamond Rd, Crumlin, County Antrim BT29 4QY, United Kingdom
J Immunoassay Immunochem 27:363-78. 2006..Investigator has been applied to the simultaneous specific measurement of soluble adhesion molecules: L-, P-, E- selectins, VCAM-1, ICAM-1 using a reduced volume of sample...
- Functional selectin ligands mediating human CD34(+) cell interactions with bone marrow endothelium are enhanced postnatallyAndres Hidalgo
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Clin Invest 110:559-69. 2002..Using fluorescence intravital microscopy and homing assays in NOD/SCID mice, we show that endothelial selectins are necessary for human adult CD34(+) cell homing, since rolling on BM endothelium and retention in the BM ..
- Selectins and beta 2-integrins mediate post-ischaemic venular adhesion of polymorphonuclear leukocytes, but not capillary plugging, in isolated heartsH Habazettl
Institute for Surgical Research, University of Munich, Germany
Pflugers Arch 438:479-85. 1999..aim of the present study was to characterize the contribution of two different families of adhesion molecules, selectins and integrins, to post-ischaemic capillary plugging and venular adhesion of leukocytes in an isolated heart ..
- Endoglycan, a member of the CD34 family of sialomucins, is a ligand for the vascular selectinsSheena C Kerr
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Immunol 181:1480-90. 2008..Under inflammatory conditions, the vascular selectins, E- and P-selectin, are expressed on activated vessels and interact with carbohydrate-based ligands on the ..
- Rolling and transient tethering of leukocytes on antibodies reveal specializations of selectinsS Chen
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:3172-7. 1997..In contrast to selectins, antibodies supported rolling only within a restricted range of site densities and wall shear stresses, outside ..
- Naïve T cells re-distribute to the lungs of selectin ligand deficient miceJohn R Harp
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e10973. 2010..Selectin mediated binding also plays a key role in T cell entry to inflamed organs...
- [Clinical significance of soluble selectins and matrix metalloproteinases-9 in patients after successful cardiopulmonary resuscitation]Pei Jie Li
Second Affiliated Hospital of Lanzhou Medical College, Lanzhou Emergency Center of Gansu Province, Lanzhou 730030, Gansu, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 16:137-41. 2004....
- Natural killer cells require selectins for suppression of subcutaneous tumorsOlga Sobolev
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, David H Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer Res 69:2531-9. 2009..Previously it has been shown that subcutaneous tumor growth is enhanced in mice lacking selectins, a family of cell adhesion molecules that mediate the first step of immune cell entry into tissue from the blood...
- Ezrin-radixin-moesin-binding sequence of PSGL-1 glycoprotein regulates leukocyte rolling on selectins and activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinasesCaroline Spertini
Service and Central Laboratory of Hematology, Lausanne University Hospital, Rue du Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 287:10693-702. 2012..ligand-1 (PSGL-1) mediates the capture (tethering) of free-flowing leukocytes and subsequent rolling on selectins. PSGL-1 interactions with endothelial selectins activate Src kinases and spleen tyrosine kinase (Syk), leading ..
- The alpha(1,3)fucosyltransferases FucT-IV and FucT-VII exert collaborative control over selectin-dependent leukocyte recruitment and lymphocyte homingJ W Homeister
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Immunity 15:115-26. 2001..These observations reveal essential FucT-IV-dependent contributions to E-, P-, and L-selectin ligand synthesis and to the control of leukocyte recruitment and lymphocyte homing...
- Trafficking of Th1 cells to lung: a role for selectins and a P-selectin glycoprotein-1-independent ligandJoan G Clark
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 30:220-7. 2004Trafficking of lymphocytes to lung is a critical component of pulmonary immune defense and surveillance. Selectins, expressed on vascular endothelium, regulate T lymphocyte emigration into tissues, such as skin, but the role of the ..
- Increased primary tumor growth in mice null for beta3- or beta3/beta5-integrins or selectinsDaniela Taverna
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:763-8. 2004Expression of alphavbeta3- or alphavbeta5-integrins and selectins is widespread on blood cells and endothelial cells. Here we report that human tumor cells injected s.c...
- Selectins in T-cell recruitment to non-lymphoid tissues and sites of inflammationKlaus Ley
Cardiovascular Research Center and Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 4:325-35. 2004
- High circulating levels of cytokines (IL-6 and TNFalpha), adhesion molecules (VCAM-1 and ICAM-1) and selectins in patients with peripheral arterial disease at rest and after a treadmill testSalvatore Santo Signorelli
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties, Faculty of Medicine, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Vasc Med 8:15-9. 2003..001 or 0.0001, controls p < 0.05 or 0.001). These results confirm that white blood cell activation is characteristic of systemic atherosclerosis and that these inflammation markers increase in conditions of hemodynamic stress...
- Selectins: critical mediators of leukocyte recruitmentKamala D Patel
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Semin Immunol 14:73-81. 2002b>Selectins are multi-functional adhesion molecules that mediate the initial interactions between circulating leukocytes and the endothelium...
- Fucosyltransferase IV and VII-directed selectin ligand function determines long-term survival in experimental tuberculosisStefan Ehlers
Molecular Inflammation Medicine, Christian Albrechts Universitat, Kiel, Germany Microbial Inflammation Research, Research Center Borstel, Parkallee 1, 23845 Borstel, Borstel, Germany
Immunobiology 214:674-82. 2009..These results suggest that targeting selectin ligand function during treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders may run the risk of accelerating TB disease progression...
- Selectins ligand decorated drug carriers for activated endothelial cell targetingXavier Banquy
Faculte de Pharmacie, Ecole d Optometrie, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bioconjug Chem 19:2030-9. 2008..These nanoparticles could be used for specific drug delivery to the activated vascular endothelium, suggesting their application in the treatment of diseases with an inflammatory component such as rheumatoid arthritis and cancer...
- Mice lacking two or all three selectins demonstrate overlapping and distinct functions for each selectinU Jung
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Immunol 162:6755-62. 1999b>Selectins support the capture and rolling of leukocytes in venules at sites of inflammation and in lymphocyte homing...
- P-, E-, and L-selectin mediate migration of activated CD8+ T lymphocytes into inflamed skinTakako Hirata
Center for Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Immunol 169:4307-13. 2002..and E-selectin, the infiltration of CD8+ T cells in the inflamed skin is reduced, suggesting the role of these selectins in CD8+ T cell migration. We directly studied the role of selectins using in vitro-generated Tc1 cells...
- Neutrophil capture by selectins on endothelial cells exposed to cigarette smokeP C W Stone
Department of Physiology, The Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:1150-5. 2002..This pro-inflammatory response may contribute to pathology associated with smoking, especially in tissues remote from the lung...
- Targeting selectins and selectin ligands in inflammation and cancerSteven R Barthel
Harvard Skin Disease Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Room 669, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 11:1473-91. 2007....
- Fucosyltransferase VII-deficient mice with defective E-, P-, and L-selectin ligands show impaired CD4+ and CD8+ T cell migration into the skin, but normal extravasation into visceral organsIris Erdmann
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Zurich, Gloriastrasse 31, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Immunol 168:2139-46. 2002The first step of leukocyte extravasation, leukocyte rolling, is mediated by E-, P-, and L-selectins. Mice deficient for alpha-1,3-fucosyltransferase VII (FucTVII)(-/-) are characterized by deficiency of E-, P-, and L-selectin ligand ..
- The engagement of selectins and their ligands in colorectal cancer liver metastasesKonstantinos A Paschos
Liver Research Group, Section of Oncology, School of Medicine, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Cell Mol Med 14:165-74. 2010..In the sinusoids, cell connection and signalling is mediated by multiple cell adhesion molecules, such as the selectins. The three members of the selectin family, E-, P- and L-selectin, in conjunction with sialylated Lewis ligands ..
- Molecular pathways in bone marrow homing: dominant role of alpha(4)beta(1) over beta(2)-integrins and selectinsT Papayannopoulou
Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7710, USA
Blood 98:2403-11. 2001..These data are in contrast to the importance of beta(2)-integrin and selectins in the adhesion/migration cascade of mature leukocytes...
- Selectins mediate macrophage infiltration in obstructive nephropathy in newborn miceBärbel Lange-Sperandio
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0386, USA
Kidney Int 61:516-24. 2002..Macrophage infiltration into the interstitium plays a central role in this process. Selectins, a family of three adhesion molecules, are involved in leukocyte recruitment to sites of inflammation and immune ..
- Mobilization of stem/progenitor cells by sulfated polysaccharides does not require selectin presenceE A Sweeney
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:6544-9. 2000..of wild-type controls, suggesting that the mode of action of sulfated fucans is not through blockade of known selectins. Other mechanisms have been entertained, in particular, the release of chemokines/cytokines, including some ..
- The state diagram for cell adhesion mediated by two receptorsSujata K Bhatia
Department of Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering, and Institute for Medicine and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biophys J 84:2671-90. 2003..Cells first transiently adhere, or "roll" (via interactions between selectins and sialyl-Lewis-x), and then firmly adhere to the vascular wall (via interactions between integrins and ICAM-1)...
- In silico determination of intracellular glycosylation and phosphorylation sites in human selectins: implications for biological functionIshtiaq Ahmad
Institute of Molecular Sciences and Bioinformatics, Lahore, Pakistan
J Cell Biochem 100:1558-72. 2007..Structural modifications of hydroxyl groups of P-, E-, and L-selectins have been predicted and possible functions resulting from such modifications are proposed...
- The molecular mechanics of P- and L-selectin lectin domains binding to PSGL-1Linda J Rinko
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Biophys J 86:544-54. 2004..Human PSGL-1 was covalently coupled to polystyrene beads. Chimeric selectins were adsorbed to nitrocellulose-coated glass beads on a coverslip...
- Selectin-carbohydrate interactions in shear flowM B Lawrence
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Health Sciences Center, Box 377, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 3:659-64. 1999..L-selectin bond formation rates may be strongly influenced by sulfate orientation in sulfo sialyl Lewis(x)...
- A 3-D computational model predicts that cell deformation affects selectin-mediated leukocyte rollingSameer Jadhav
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Biophys J 88:96-104. 2005....
- Correlation between expression of selectins and migration of eosinophils into the bovine ovary during the periovulatory periodF Rohm
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 13, Leipzig 04103, Leipzig, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 309:313-22. 2002..expression on activated ECs and the appearance of CD62L-positive leukocytes in the early corpus luteum development stage, suggesting the participation of both selectins in the migration of eosinophils under physiological conditions.
- Neutrophil-bead collision assay: pharmacologically induced changes in membrane mechanics regulate the PSGL-1/P-selectin adhesion lifetimeK E Edmondson
Institute for Medicine and Engineering, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, 3320 Smith Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biophys J 89:3603-14. 2005..Membrane tether growth can be enhanced or reduced pharmacologically with consequent effects on PSGL-1/P-selectin lifetimes...
- Cellular adhesion molecules and cardiovascular disease. Part I. Their expression and role in atherogenesisS A Hope
Cardiovascular Research Centre, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 33:380-6. 2003....
- Selectin antagonists : therapeutic potential in asthma and COPDSuzanne J Romano
Novasite Pharmaceuticals Inc, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Treat Respir Med 4:85-94. 2005..Three known selectins are expressed in distinct subsets of cells: P-selectin is presented on the surface of activated platelets and ..
- The role of selectins and integrins in adenovirus vector-induced neutrophil recruitment to the liverYang Li
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Eur J Immunol 32:3443-52. 2002..In conclusion, adenovirus vectors induce rapid neutrophil-mediated inflammation in the post-sinusoidal venules by selectins and alpha(4)-integrin but surprisingly not by CD18.
- Effect of microvillus deformability on leukocyte adhesion explored using adhesive dynamics simulationsKelly E Caputo
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biophys J 89:187-200. 2005..Furthermore, simulated rolling trajectories of cells with deformable microvilli display periods of rolling interdispersed with pauses, consistent with that seen in experiments where microvilli were observed to stretch...
- Soluble cellular adhesion molecules, selectins, VEGF and endothelin-1 in patients with Wuchereria bancrofti infection and association with clinical statusP Esterre
Immunology Unit, Institut de Recherches Medicales Malarde, Papeete 98713 Tahiti French Polynesia
Parasite Immunol 27:9-16. 2005....
- Selectins facilitate carcinoma metastasis and heparin can prevent themLubor Borsig
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
News Physiol Sci 19:16-21. 2004b>Selectins are cell adhesion molecules mediating attachment of leukocytes to activated endothelium as well as the adhesion reaction of tumors during malignancy...
- The involvement of selectins and their ligands in tumor-progressionIsaac P Witz
Department of Cell Research and Immunology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Immunol Lett 104:89-93. 2006..This review focuses on the role played by the selectins and their ligands in these interactions and especially in tumor cell extravasation...
- Catch bonds: physical models, structural bases, biological function and rheological relevanceCheng Zhu
Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Biorheology 42:443-62. 2005....
- The two-pathway model for the catch-slip transition in biological adhesionYuriy V Pereverzev
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Biophys J 89:1446-54. 2005..is applied to four experimentally studied systems taken from the literature, involving the binding of P- and L-selectins to sialyl Lewis(X) oligosaccharide-containing ligands...
- Sulfated glycans induce rapid hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization: evidence for selectin-dependent and independent mechanismsP S Frenette
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Blood 96:2460-8. 2000..We report on a role for selectins and fucoidan in progenitor mobilization...
- Functions of selectinsK Ley
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Results Probl Cell Differ 33:177-200. 2001The selectins are cell surface lectins that have evolved to mediate the adhesion of white blood cells to endothelial cells and platelets under flow...
- Selectins--potential pharmacological targets?Carsten Kneuer
Institute for Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 15, Leipzig, Germany
Drug Discov Today 11:1034-40. 2006..in our (patho)physiological understanding have underpinned the frequent involvement of the protein family of selectins in the progression of serious illnesses, including cancer and cancer metastasis, and immunological diseases, ..
- Cooperativity between selectins and beta2-integrins define neutrophil capture and stable adhesion in shear flowDaniel B McDonough
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 32:1179-92. 2004..These data are the first to quantify adhesion efficiency mediated by selectin tethering and conformational activation of beta2-integrin in neutrophils in shear flow...
- Leukocyte adhesion deficiency type IID J Becker
Cellular and Molecular Biology Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0650, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1455:193-204. 1999..The genetic lesion in LAD II that accounts for the generalized fucosylation defect in LAD II patients remains to be determined...
- Effect of acarbose on platelet-derived microparticles, soluble selectins, and adiponectin in diabetic patientsTakayuki Shimazu
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
J Thromb Thrombolysis 28:429-35. 2009Platelet-derived microparticles (PDMP), selectins, and adiponectin play an important role in the development of atherosclerosis in diabetes...
- Protective effects of inhibiting both blood and vascular selectins after stroke and reperfusionMary L Ruehl
University of Arizona College of Nursing, USA
Neurol Res 24:226-32. 2002..These results indicate that treatment of the blood and the endothelium with a selectin anti-inflammatory agent is protective after focal stroke and reperfusion in the rat...
- Selectins and integrins but not platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 regulate opioid inhibition of inflammatory painHalina Machelska
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 142:772-80. 2004..2. Here we evaluate the relative contribution of selectins, integrins alpha(4) and beta(2), and platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) to the opioid-..
- Importance of donor- and recipient-derived selectins in cardiac allograft rejectionAtsushi Izawa
Transplantation Research Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2929-36. 2007The selectins expressed on activated endothelial cells (E- and P-selectin), leukocytes (L-selectin), and platelets (P-selectin) play crucial roles in the rolling and tethering of leukocytes...
- Intravital microscopy identifies selectins that regulate T cell traffic into allograftsThomas R Jones
Emory Transplant Center and Department of Surgery, Emory Universuty School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 112:1714-23. 2003..These data indicated that a specific retinue of molecules is upregulated during the rejection response, and they suggest potential future therapeutic targets...
- Increased plasma levels of soluble selectins in patients with unstable anginaE Atalar
Cardiology Department, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Cardiol 78:69-73. 2001Inflammation plays an important role in the pathogenesis of unstable angina. Adhesion molecules, such as selectins, mediate the interactions between leukocytes, platelets and endothelial cells during inflammation and thrombogenesis.
- The beta2, alpha4, alpha5 integrins and selectins mediate chemotactic factor and endotoxin-enhanced neutrophil sequestration in the lungJ A Burns
Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Am J Pathol 158:1809-19. 2001..contribution of cell adhesion molecules in this process, we used blocking monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) to rat selectins and integrins in a model of PMNL margination (reflected by acute blood neutropenia) induced by N-formyl-met-leu-..
- Mice genetically lacking endothelial selectins are resistant to the lethality in septic peritonitisAkihiro Matsukawa
Department of Pathology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, 860 0811, Japan
Exp Mol Pathol 72:68-76. 2002..with vascular endothelium are an initial step for leukocyte entry into infectious foci where endothelial selectins may play a key role...
- Selectins induced by interleukin-1beta on the human liver endothelial cells act as ligands for sialyl Lewis X-expressing human colon cancer cell metastasisY Matsushita
Department of Pathology II, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Cancer Lett 133:151-60. 1998..It is now well known that SLeX antigen and sialyl Lewis A (SLeA) antigen are ligands for the selectins expressed on the endothelial cells...
- Blocking endothelial adhesion molecules: a potential therapeutic strategy to combat atherogenesisBianca C H Lutters
Division of Biopharmaceutics, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Lipidol 15:545-52. 2004....
- Distinct kinetic and mechanical properties govern selectin-leukocyte interactionsWilliam D Hanley
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
J Cell Sci 117:2503-11. 2004....
- Role of selectins in the triggering, growth, and dissemination of T-lymphoma cells: implication of L-selectin in the growth of thymic lymphomaSimon D Bélanger
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite du Quebec, Laval, Canada
Blood 105:4800-6. 2005..Because selectins usually act in a coordinated fashion with ICAM-1 in the recruitment of circulating normal cells, we investigated ..
- Emerging roles for ectodomain shedding in the regulation of inflammatory responsesKyle J Garton
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
J Leukoc Biol 79:1105-16. 2006....
- Long-distance running modulates the expression of leucocyte and endothelial adhesion moleculesH G Nielsen
Center for Clinical Research, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Immunol 60:356-62. 2004..Our study thus supports the 'open-window' hypothesis, indicating a reduced capacity to combat infectious agents during the immediate post-exercise period...
- Hypoxia induces adhesion molecules on cancer cells: A missing link between Warburg effect and induction of selectin-ligand carbohydratesTetsufumi Koike
Department Molecular Pathology, Aichi Cancer Center, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8132-7. 2004....
- Transport features, reaction kinetics and receptor biomechanics controlling selectin and integrin mediated cell adhesionSriram Neelamegham
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 11:35-50. 2004..This review discusses the current state of understanding on how molecular bond formation rates coupled with cellular and hydrodynamic features regulate leukocyte binding to endothelial cells...
- Therapeutic targeting of endothelial ligands for L-selectin (PNAd) in a sheep model of asthmaSteven D Rosen
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Am J Pathol 166:935-44. 2005..Furthermore, MECA-79 inhibited the accumulation of all classes of leukocytes in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. These findings represent the first demonstration that targeting of PNAd has therapeutic efficacy in an inflammatory disease...
- Force as a facilitator of integrin conformational changes during leukocyte arrest on blood vessels and antigen-presenting cellsRonen Alon
Department of Immunology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Immunity 26:17-27. 2007..Evidence suggests that preformed cytoskeletal anchorage rather than free integrin mobility is key for force-enhanced integrin activation by chemokines and TCR signals...
- A novel class of potent nonglycosidic and nonpeptidic pan-selectin inhibitorsHolger K Ulbrich
Department of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry, Institute of Pharmacy, Johannes Gutenberg University, Staudingerweg 5, DE 55099 Mainz, Germany
J Med Chem 49:5988-99. 2006..The assays used are predictive for the in vivo efficacy of test compounds as shown for 2a in a proteose peptone induced peritonitis model of acute inflammation in mice...
- Rational design of novel, potent small molecule pan-selectin antagonistsRemo Kranich
Revotar Biopharmaceuticals AG, Neuendorfstrasse 24a, 16761 Hennigsdorf, Germany
J Med Chem 50:1101-15. 2007..first results of a rational hit-finding strategy to design novel small molecule antiinflammatory drugs targeting selectins, a family of three cellular adhesion molecules...
- Imaging molecular expression on vascular endothelial cells by in vivo immunofluorescence microscopyJudith M Runnels
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Mol Imaging 5:31-40. 2006..Live imaging is particularly useful for following the dynamic expression of inducible molecules such as E-selectin during an inflammatory response...
- Roflumilast inhibits leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions, expression of adhesion molecules and microvascular permeabilityM J Sanz
Department of Pharmacology, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 152:481-92. 2007..The present study addressed the effects of the investigational PDE4 inhibitor roflumilast on leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions and endothelial permeability in vivo and in vitro...
- [Role of platelets in atherosclerosis and inflammation]Dorothea Siegel-Axel
Abteilung Kardiologie und Kreislauferkrankungen, Medizinische Klinik III, Eberhard Karls Universitat, Tubingen
Med Klin (Munich) 101:467-75. 2006..Platelet-induced chronic inflammatory processes at the vascular wall result in development of atherosclerotic lesions and atherothrombosis...
- Stepping out of the flow: capillary extravasation in cancer metastasisFayth L Miles
Department of Biological Sciences, Center for Translational Cancer Research, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
Clin Exp Metastasis 25:305-24. 2008..Leukocyte extravasation is characterized by a process whereby rolling mediated by cytokine-activated endothelial selectins is followed by firmer adhesions with beta1 and beta2 integrin subunits to an activated endothelium and ..
- Adhesion molecules in inflammatory bowel disease: therapeutic implications for gut inflammationS Danese
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University School of Medicine, L go Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:811-8. 2005..This paper reviews the major molecules that mediate leukocyte-endothelial interactions, and summarises the results of the most recent clinical trials targeting adhesion molecules in inflammatory bowel disease...
- Molecular mechanics and dynamics of leukocyte recruitment during inflammationScott I Simon
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 5294, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 7:151-85. 2005..there is heightened interest in the cell mechanics and receptor dynamics that lead from transient tethering via selectins to affinity shifts and adhesion strengthening through integrins...
- Systemic administration of a TLR7 ligand leads to transient immune incompetence due to peripheral-blood leukocyte depletionMatthias Gunzer
German Research Centre for Biotechnology, Junior Research Group Immunodynamics, Braunschweig, Germany
Blood 106:2424-32. 2005....
- Gal3ST-2 involved in tumor metastasis process by regulation of adhesion ability to selectins and expression of integrinsBi Zhi Shi
Department of Biochemistry, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:934-40. 2005..These results suggested that Gal3ST-2 was involved in tumor metastasis process by regulation of adhesion ability to selectins and expression of integrins.
- 3. Adhesion molecules and receptorsC Wayne Smith
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Children s Nutrition Research Center, 1100 Bates, Rm 6014, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:S375-9; quiz S414. 2008..Adhesion molecules might serve as therapeutic targets for inflammatory diseases...
- [Molecular mechanisms regulating trafficking of immune-competent cells: role of cell adhesion molecules]Toshiyuki Tanaka
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Recognition, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:431-6. 2005
- Central nervous system inflammationS G Soriano
Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital Boston, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Eur J Anaesthesiol Suppl 42:154-9. 2008..This review will highlight the role of adhesion molecules in the evolution of secondary injury after cerebral ischaemia and trauma. Potential therapeutic avenues will then be discussed...
- Role of Selectins in Burns and Inhalation InjuryDaniel Traber; Fiscal Year: 2009..activation of PARP and NF-kappaB, the loss of L-selectin from blood neutrophils and the expression of P and E selectins and limit tissue damage in the lung, ileum, pancreas, skeletal muscle and liver with bum and inhalation injuries...
- Homing of Stem Cells in Stroke TherapeuticsEVAN YALE contact SNYDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..The net effect is to increase recognition of the PSGL for selectins on endothelial cells. It is unknown whether this works, however, for brain vascular endothelium...
- Development of an Anti-PSGL-1 Antibody to Treat Crohn's DiseaseScott A Rollins; Fiscal Year: 2011..directed against P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 (PSGL-1), a dimeric mucin on circulating leukocytes that binds selectins and chemokines, for the treatment of Crohn's Disease...
- Mechanisms mediating circadian oscillations of leukocyte migrationPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2012..recruitment were abolished in mice with an impaired SNS and were dependent on the fluctuations of endothelial selectins in the BM...
- Control of Mucin Glycan Branching in Membrane-bound and Secreted MucinsPi Wan Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..tissues through interaction of sialyl Lewis x- containing glycans located at the non-reducing termini with selectins. The major function of mucin-type glycans in secreted mucins is to protect mucus-secetroy tissues by retention ..
- Regulation of Adipose Tissue Inflammation by P-selectin Glycoprotein Ligand-1Daniel T Eitzman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2 will determine mechanisms by which PSGL-1 induces expression of endothelial selectins and MCP-1 in obesity...
- Oligosaccharies of Normal and Malignant CellsAjit P Varki; Fiscal Year: 2013..tumor-specific" changes in Sia-terminated glycans, and on their interactions with Sia-binding proteins such as Selectins and Siglecs...
- Novel Cellular Therapies for Ph+ leukemiaRICHARD A contact VAN ETTEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, having demonstrated that HSC in CML are uniquely dependent on selectins and their ligands for homing and engraftment in mice, we will develop clinically relevant methods for blocking ..
- Selectin inhibitor therapeutics for blood flow related complications of diabetesJohn L Magnani; Fiscal Year: 2010..and oral bioavailability, with the intention of interfering with the interaction between vascular endothelial selectins and carbohydrates expressed on the surface of leukocytes...
- Investigating the Homing and Engraftment of CML Stem Cells in the Bone MarrowJULIANA BETH LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent studies in our laboratory indicate an abnormal and increased dependency on selectins and their ligands for homing and engraftment of these leukemic stem cells within the bone marrow (BM) niche...
- New Frontiers at the Interface of Immunity and GlycobiologyAndrew D Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2011..Inflammation can be strongly influenced by carbohydrate-binding proteins on immune cells. Selectins play critical roles in cell homing to the site of infection, while glycosylation directly influences cellular ..
- Cellular Regulation of Selectin-Ligand InteractionsRODGER PAUL MCEVER; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): During inflammation, flowing leukocytes roll on vascular surfaces through interactions of selectins with their glycosylated ligands. Activated endothelial cells express P-selectin and E-selectin...
- The role of neutrophil recruitment in arterial diseasesYuqing Huo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Glycosylation of selectin ligands is crucial for the binding of selectin ligands to the selectins. Core2 1-6-N- glucosaminyltransferase-I (C2GlcNAcT-I) is one of the enzymes that mediate the glycosylation of ..
- Molecular and Force Dynamics: Leukocyte Adhesion MoleculesSCOTT IRWIN SIMON; Fiscal Year: 2013..expression and functional activation of leukocyte and endothelial cell adhesion molecules (CAMs) including selectins, integrins, and Ig-super family ligands...
- Amyloid-B peptide on endothelial adhesion and its related cellular pathwaysJames C M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. P- and E-selectins) and actin polymerization;2) cellular mechanical properties;and the forces involved in adhesion;and 3) these ..
- SELECTIN MEDIATED CELL ADHESION UNDER HYDRODYNAMIC SHEARSriram Neelamegham; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The selectins are adhesion molecules belonging to the C-type lectin family. They are expressed constitutively on the surface of blood leukocytes and on activated endothelial cells and platelets...
- Protein-glycan Interactions in the Vascular SystemLijun Xia; Fiscal Year: 2013..The emphasis is on processes that regulate the interactions of selectins with their glycoconjugate ligands, a critical early response during inflammation and thrombosis...
- Mechanistic Analysis of Anti-inflammatory Activity by FluorosugarsCharles J Dimitroff; Fiscal Year: 2012Trafficking of leukocytes to skin is directed by adhesive interactions between vascular endothelial selectins and leukocyte selectin ligands...
- Mechanisms for Blood Cell Adhesion Under FlowRODGER PAUL MCEVER; Fiscal Year: 2012..The focus is the interaction of the three selectins (P-selectin, E- selectin, and L-selectin) with P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 (PSGL-1) and other cell- surface ..
- Mechanical regulation of selectin-ligand binding kineticsCheng Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The objective of this proposal is to elucidate the mechanical regulation of molecular interactions between selectins and glycoconjugate ligands, which mediate the first step of a multistep adhesion and signaling cascade for ..
- Dynamic Strenghts of Leukoctye Adhesion BondsEvan A Evans; Fiscal Year: 2011..bonds and their kinetics under force, (i) first for interactions between the sialo mucin ligand PSGL-1 and selectins that initiate leukocyte attachments to vessel walls, (ii) second for interactions between super immunoglobulin (..
- UFRCC for Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research NetworkCarl J Pepine; Fiscal Year: 2013..Novel features include a method to enhance binding to selectins using fucosyltransferase and its substrate (ASC-101) to complete sialylated Lewis X formation...
- T CELL MEMORY TO PATHOGENS: GENERATION AND FUNCTIONSusan L Swain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Regulation Of T Cell Homeostasis and Memory" (Bradley), will determine whether signals from "selectins" expressed on lung cells control CD4 and CD8 T cell responses and are needed for the development and persistence ..
- Hematopoietic Progenitor Cells - Cord BloodPAUL JOHN SIMMONS; Fiscal Year: 2013..been attributed to low levels of fucosylation of cell surface molecules responsible for binding to P- and/or E-selectins expressed by the marrow microvasculature...
- Regulation of T lymphocyte immunology to influenza virusEmilio Flano; Fiscal Year: 2010..Control of lymphocyte migration is a complex process mediated by several mechanisms including selectins, integrins and chemokines, and it is orchestrated by early inflammatory signals...
- The cellular basis of CCM gene function in developmentKevin J Whitehead; Fiscal Year: 2010..in Human Molecular Biology and Genetics (HMBG) and a recognized expert in vascular cell biology, integrins and selectins. This work will be done in collaboration with Douglas Marchuk, Associate Professor of Genetics at Duke ..
- Protein disulfide isomerase in neutrophil recruitment and vascular inflammationJaehyung Cho; Fiscal Year: 2013..Interaction of selectins with their ligands mediates neutrophil rolling over the inflamed endothelium and further regulates integrin ..
- SEQUENTIAL MODEL OF LEUKOCYTE ROLLING AND ARREST IN FLOWMichael Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 1999..A recently described family of leukocyte adhesion receptors, the selectins, appear to mediate the distinctive rolling of neutrophils on the blood vessel wall that marks the early stages ..
- FLOW CYTOMETRY, SAMPLE HANDLING AND CELL ADHESIONLarry Sklar; Fiscal Year: 2003..Weaker interactions are mediated by protein-carbohydrate binding between selectins and carbohydrate-bearing cellular mucins...
- FLOW CYTOMETRY, SAMPLE HANDLING AND CELL ADHESIONLarry Sklar; Fiscal Year: 2002..Weaker interactions are mediated by protein-carbohydrate binding between selectins and carbohydrate-bearing cellular mucins...
- LEUKOCYTE ADHESION IN ALLERGIC INFLAMMATIONP Sriramarao; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our preliminary studies suggest that in addition to cell surface selectins and integrins, galectin- 3 (Gal-3), a carbohydrate-binding lectin that recognizes N-glycans expressed by MgatS, ..
- GLYCOLIPID E-SELECTIN LIGANDS ON HUMAN GRANULOCYTESBruce Bochner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although several glycoconjugates which bind to selectins have been identified, the natural ligands for E-selectin on human granulocytes have yet to be fully elucidated...
- Genetic mechanisms which control hematopoietic cell migrationGEOFFREY KANSAS; Fiscal Year: 2009..of HSC and hematopoietic progenitors both during BMT and during normal homeostasis is controlled in part by selectins, a family of 3 adhesion molecules which are also critical for mature leukocyte recruitment in settings of ..
- SELECTIN MEDIATED LEUKOCYTE ADHESION IN VIVOKlaus Ley; Fiscal Year: 2002..E, P and L-selectins have been shown to mediate leukocyte rolling and to be required for the recruitment of inflammatory cells in ..
- Trophoblast Selectins and Their Uterine Mucin LigandsSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..Together these observations suggested that selectins and their mucin-oligosaccharide ligands could play novel roles in TB adhesion to the uterus...
- SELECTINS AND HEMATOPOIETIC HOMING AND HOMEOSTASISMichael Long; Fiscal Year: 2000..The second specific aim investigates the role of selectins in early events of HSC homing and/or engraftment...
- Substrata Interactions of Normal and Leukemic Hematopoietic Stem CellsJane Liesveld; Fiscal Year: 2009..It has been shown that hematopoieitic stem cells roll more slowly on selectins and other substrata than do other blood elements...
- Glycoside Inhibitors of Tumor MetastasisJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2009..leukocytes, and endothelial cells, sLe x-containing ligands expressed on many types of carcinomas interact with selectins on these cells...
- BIOMECHANICS OF LEUKOCYTE ADHESION MOLECULESKlaus Ley; Fiscal Year: 2002..Some adhesion molecules, among them the selectins, are specialized to mediate adhesion in the presence of blood flow...
- CLA as a Mediator of Human Prostate Tumor MetastasisCHARLES DIMITROFF; Fiscal Year: 2005..The selectins are a class of cell adhesion molecules that mediate cell adhesion interactions under shear stress, and since ..
- SELECTINS ROLE IN VASCULAR INJURY IN GENE-TARGETEDIan Sarembock; Fiscal Year: 2004..Taken together, these studies will provide new insights into the role(s) of the selectins in inflammatory cell trafficking and neointimal growth after vascular injury in atherosclerosis-prone apoE-..
- AGBD T CELL DEPENDENT MECHANISMS OF GLOMERULONEPHRITISTanya Mayadas; Fiscal Year: 2006..In vivo, our studies during the current funding period revealed a hitherto unexpected complexity for the role of selectins in GN...
- Bone-Homing Molecules on Human Prostate Tumor CellsCHARLES DIMITROFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..The selectins are class of cell adhesion molecules that mediate interactions under shear flow conditions and since endothelial ..
- P SELECTIN LIGAND ON HUMAN T CELLKevin Moore; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Selectins are a family of glycoproteins that initiate adhesion of leukocytes to platelets or endothelial cells by Ca2+-dependent interaction between the lectin domain of the selectin and oligosaccharides on target cells...
- BIOLOGY OF ENDOTHELIAL/LEUKOCYTE ADHESION RECEPTORSDENISA WAGNER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our proposal is mainly concerned with the platelet and endothelial selectins, mediating leukocyte rolling, and the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) that promotes leukocyte firm ..
- CYTOPLASMIC EFFECTOR MOLECULES FOR L-SELECTINGEOFFREY KANSAS; Fiscal Year: 2000..level of leukocyte recognition of endothelium, a process which is initiated by a family of molecules designated selectins. This proposal is directed at understanding the molecular and cellular basis of adhesion mediated by L-selectin, ..
- Structure/Function of the Selectin Ligand PSGL-1Richard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2005..P-, L- and E-selectins mediate leukocyte rolling and are required for the recruitment of inflammatory cells in vivo...
- PEGylation of a Glycosulfopeptide Anti-InflammatoryZIAD KAWAR; Fiscal Year: 2004..The mechanism of recruitment involves receptors termed selectins that recognize their counter receptors on leukocytes...
- BASIS FOR ALCOHOL AND COCAINE STROKES--ROLE OF MG2+Burton Altura; Fiscal Year: 2004..is that both ethanol and cocaine induce cerebrovasospasm, leukocyte rolling-adhesion (probably mediated by P-selectins) and stroke via an initial reduction in cerebral vascular smooth muscle (CVSM) cell [Mg2+]i, triggering entry ..
- MOLECULAR PATHWAYS OF LEUKOCYTE HOMING TO BONE MARROWGEOFFREY KANSAS; Fiscal Year: 2000..This proposal details experiments to determine the role of selectins in HSC traffic, especially homing to bone marrow...
- LYMPHOCYTE HOMING RECEPTORS AND METASTASISMark Siegelman; Fiscal Year: 2001..cell surface structures mediating adherence to HEVs have been designated lymphocyte homing receptors, or L-selectins, and their complementary carbohydrate ligands on the endothelial surface have been called addressins ...
- Control T helper (Th1) cell homingGEOFFREY KANSAS; Fiscal Year: 2006..b>Selectins are a family of carbohydrate-binding adhesion molecules well established to play a crucial role in leukocyte ..
- Selectins and their ligands in leukocyte traffickingErik Vandendries; Fiscal Year: 2005..The molecules expressed on leukocytes, that interact with the selectins have been difficult to elucidate...
- E-SELECTIN LIGANDS ON LYMPHOCYTESMark Jutila; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from investigator's abstract): Selectins are a family of adhesion molecules that control the initial interaction of adhesion molecules that control the initial interaction of leukocytes with the vascular endothelium ..
- ROLE OF THE SELECTIONS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF VASCULITISDaniel Bullard; Fiscal Year: 2001..Inhibition or loss of one or more of the selectins has been shown to reduce leukocyte Recruitment and subsequent tissue damage during both acute and chronic ..
- Selectins and Fetal wound HealingOluyinka Olutoye; Fiscal Year: 2007The overall objective of this project is to gain an in depth understanding into the role of selectins in the modulation of the inflammatory response following wounding in the adult and fetus...
- KINETIC PROPERTIES OF SELECTINSCheng Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2000b>Selectins and their ligands (P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1, PSGL-1, in particular) are important adhesion molecules with demonstrated roles both in normal inflammatory responses and in diseases...
- Role of sLeX-modified O-glycans in carcinoma metastasisCatherine St Hill; Fiscal Year: 2009The selectins are highly selective C-type lectins that bind sialyI-Lewis x (sLex)-related glycans...
- TARGETED COMPLEMENT INHIBITORSStephen Tomlinson; Fiscal Year: 2003..fragments containing a variable region specific for a cell surface molecule, or to a soluble ligand recognizing selectins. Selectins are cell adhesion molecules that are expressed on inflamed endothelium and are involved in leukocyte ..
- Kinetic Analysis of the PSGL-1 MoleculeCheng Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2004..glycoprotein ligand-l (PSGL-1) is a sialomucin molecule on leukocyte surface that interacts with all three selectins. In inflammatory and thrombotic processes, flowing leukocytes use PSGL-1 to tether to and roll on P-selectin on ..
- STRUCTURE AND INTERACTIONS OF MODEL BIOMEMBRANES IIIJacob Israelachvili; Fiscal Year: 2002We hypothesize that "softly supported" bilayers incorporating selectins are excellent in vitro models for Surface Force Apparatus (SFA) measurements of the 'rolling forces' between complementary surfaces expressing selectins and its ..
- STRUCTURE AND INTERACTIONS OF MODEL BIOMEMBRANES IIIJacob Israelachvili; Fiscal Year: 2001We hypothesize that "softly supported" bilayers incorporating selectins are excellent in vitro models for Surface Force Apparatus (SFA) measurements of the 'rolling forces' between complementary surfaces expressing selectins and its ..