Genomes and Genes
Summary: Family of cell adhesion molecules consisting of a lectin-like domain, an epidermal growth factor-like domain, and a variable number of domains that encode proteins homologous to complement-binding proteins. Selectins mediate the binding of leukocytes to the vascular endothelium. (From Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- Molecular mechanisms of leukocyte recruitment: organ-specific mechanisms of actionLixin Liu
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thromb Haemost 89:213-20. 2003..In the brain microvasculature, where shears are high and adhesion molecule expression low, platelets may play an important role as a bridge between the leukocytes and endothelium...
- Selectins promote tumor metastasisHeinz Laubli
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Cancer Biol 20:169-77. 2010..b>Selectins are carbohydrate-binding molecules that bind to sialylated, fucosylated glycan structures, and are found on ..
- Selectins and selectin ligands in extravasation of cancer cells and organ selectivity of metastasisStéphanie Gout
Le Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie de l Université Laval, L Hôtel Dieu de Québec, Quebec, Canada
Clin Exp Metastasis 25:335-44. 2008..The aim of this review is to make an integrative up-date of the mechanisms that govern the organ selectivity of the metastatic process focusing more especially on the role of selectins and selectin ligands.
- Selectins and glycosyltransferases in leukocyte rolling in vivoMarkus Sperandio
University Children s Hospital Heidelberg, Division of Neonatal Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany
FEBS J 273:4377-89. 2006..Leukocyte rolling is mediated by a group of C-type lectins, termed selectins. Three different selectins have been identified - P-, E- and L-selectin - which recognize and bind to crucial ..
- High circulating levels of cytokines (IL-6 and TNFalpha), adhesion molecules (VCAM-1 and ICAM-1) and selectins in patients with peripheral arterial disease at rest and after a treadmill testSalvatore Santo Signorelli
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties, Faculty of Medicine, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Vasc Med 8:15-9. 2003..001 or 0.0001, controls p < 0.05 or 0.001). These results confirm that white blood cell activation is characteristic of systemic atherosclerosis and that these inflammation markers increase in conditions of hemodynamic stress...
- Cancer cells in transit: the vascular interactions of tumor cellsKonstantinos Konstantopoulos
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 11:177-202. 2009..review brings together diverse observations about the contributions of key molecular constituents, including selectins, fibrin(ogen), and CD44, in one mechanistic interpretation...
- The role of selectins in inflammation and diseaseKlaus Ley
Cardiovascular Research Center, MR5 Building, Room 1013, University of Virginia, PO Box 801394, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1394, USA
Trends Mol Med 9:263-8. 2003b>Selectins are carbohydrate-binding molecules that bind to fucosylated and sialylated glycoprotein ligands, and are found on endothelial cells, leukocytes and platelets...
- Fuc-TVII is required for T helper 1 and T cytotoxic 1 lymphocyte selectin ligand expression and recruitment in inflammation, and together with Fuc-TIV regulates naive T cell trafficking to lymph nodesG Smithson
Department of Pathology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Exp Med 194:601-14. 2001....
- Fucosyltransferase IV and VII-directed selectin ligand function determines long-term survival in experimental tuberculosisStefan Ehlers
Molecular Inflammation Medicine, Christian Albrechts Universitat, Kiel, Germany Microbial Inflammation Research, Research Center Borstel, Parkallee 1, 23845 Borstel, Borstel, Germany
Immunobiology 214:674-82. 2009..These results suggest that targeting selectin ligand function during treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders may run the risk of accelerating TB disease progression...
- Physiology and pathophysiology of selectins, integrins, and IgSF cell adhesion molecules focusing on inflammation. A paradigm model on infectious endocarditisChristos Golias
Department of Physiology, Medical Faculty, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Cell Commun Adhes 18:19-32. 2011..CAMs such as selectins, integrins, and immunoglobulin superfamily take part in interactions between leukocyte and vascular endothelium (..
- Targeting adenovirus gene delivery to activated tumour-associated vasculature via endothelial selectinsHouria Bachtarzi
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford OX3 7DQ, UK
J Control Release 150:196-203. 2011..Employment of optimal viral modification using protein G will enable exploration and comparison of alternative targeting ligands targeting tumour-associated endothelium...
- Molecular stiffness of selectinsKrishna K Sarangapani
Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
J Biol Chem 286:9567-76. 2011..From mechanical measurements with atomic force microscopy, we analyzed the molecular characteristics of selectins complexed with ligands and antibodies. Respective stiffness of L-, E-, and P-selectins (4.2, 1.4, and 0...
- The alpha(1,3)fucosyltransferases FucT-IV and FucT-VII exert collaborative control over selectin-dependent leukocyte recruitment and lymphocyte homingJ W Homeister
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Immunity 15:115-26. 2001..These observations reveal essential FucT-IV-dependent contributions to E-, P-, and L-selectin ligand synthesis and to the control of leukocyte recruitment and lymphocyte homing...
- Selectins: critical mediators of leukocyte recruitmentKamala D Patel
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Semin Immunol 14:73-81. 2002b>Selectins are multi-functional adhesion molecules that mediate the initial interactions between circulating leukocytes and the endothelium...
- Selectins: lectins that initiate cell adhesion under flowRodger P McEver
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oklahoma Center for Medical Glycobiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 14:581-6. 2002Interactions of selectins with cell-surface glycoconjugates mediate tethering and rolling adhesion of leukocytes and platelets on vascular surfaces...
- Sulfated glycans induce rapid hematopoietic progenitor cell mobilization: evidence for selectin-dependent and independent mechanismsP S Frenette
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Blood 96:2460-8. 2000..We report on a role for selectins and fucoidan in progenitor mobilization...
- Selectins in T-cell recruitment to non-lymphoid tissues and sites of inflammationKlaus Ley
Cardiovascular Research Center and Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 4:325-35. 2004
- Application of Evidence Investigator for the simultaneous measurement of soluble adhesion molecules: L-, P-, E- selectins, VCAM-1, ICAM-1 in a biochip platformDamien McAleer
Randox Laboratories, 55 Diamond Rd, Crumlin, County Antrim BT29 4QY, United Kingdom
J Immunoassay Immunochem 27:363-78. 2006..Investigator has been applied to the simultaneous specific measurement of soluble adhesion molecules: L-, P-, E- selectins, VCAM-1, ICAM-1 using a reduced volume of sample...
- Blood oxidative status and selectins plasma levels in healthy donors receiving granulocyte-colony stimulating factorG Cella
Department of Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Padova, Italy
Leukemia 20:1430-4. 2006..MPO), hydroperoxides, nitric oxide (NO), and soluble endothelium (sES), leukocyte (sLS), and platelet (sPS) selectins were measured...
- Increased plasma levels of soluble selectins in patients with unstable anginaE Atalar
Cardiology Department, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Cardiol 78:69-73. 2001Inflammation plays an important role in the pathogenesis of unstable angina. Adhesion molecules, such as selectins, mediate the interactions between leukocytes, platelets and endothelial cells during inflammation and thrombogenesis.
- Differential expression of selectins by mouse brain capillary endothelial cells in vitro in response to distinct inflammatory stimuliCaroline Coisne
EA 2465 Université d Artois, Faculté des Sciences Jean Perrin, 62307 Lens, France
Neurosci Lett 392:216-20. 2006..Although the role of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 has been well documented, the expression and role of selectins is still a matter of controversy...
- Cooperativity between selectins and beta2-integrins define neutrophil capture and stable adhesion in shear flowDaniel B McDonough
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 32:1179-92. 2004..These data are the first to quantify adhesion efficiency mediated by selectin tethering and conformational activation of beta2-integrin in neutrophils in shear flow...
- Rolling and transient tethering of leukocytes on antibodies reveal specializations of selectinsS Chen
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:3172-7. 1997..In contrast to selectins, antibodies supported rolling only within a restricted range of site densities and wall shear stresses, outside ..
- Endoglycan, a member of the CD34 family of sialomucins, is a ligand for the vascular selectinsSheena C Kerr
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Immunol 181:1480-90. 2008..Under inflammatory conditions, the vascular selectins, E- and P-selectin, are expressed on activated vessels and interact with carbohydrate-based ligands on the ..
- Interactions between endothelial selectins and cancer cells regulate metastasisCatherine A St Hill
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, University of Minnesota, Room C339, Veterinary Medical Center, 1352 Boyd Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 16:3233-51. 2011The selectins: E-selectin, P-selectin, and L-selectin are adhesion molecules that are crucial for binding of circulating leukocytes to vascular endothelium during the inflammatory response to injury or infection...
- Functional selectin ligands mediating human CD34(+) cell interactions with bone marrow endothelium are enhanced postnatallyAndres Hidalgo
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Clin Invest 110:559-69. 2002..Using fluorescence intravital microscopy and homing assays in NOD/SCID mice, we show that endothelial selectins are necessary for human adult CD34(+) cell homing, since rolling on BM endothelium and retention in the BM ..
- Selectins and beta 2-integrins mediate post-ischaemic venular adhesion of polymorphonuclear leukocytes, but not capillary plugging, in isolated heartsH Habazettl
Institute for Surgical Research, University of Munich, Germany
Pflugers Arch 438:479-85. 1999..aim of the present study was to characterize the contribution of two different families of adhesion molecules, selectins and integrins, to post-ischaemic capillary plugging and venular adhesion of leukocytes in an isolated heart ..
- Effect of acarbose on platelet-derived microparticles, soluble selectins, and adiponectin in diabetic patientsTakayuki Shimazu
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
J Thromb Thrombolysis 28:429-35. 2009Platelet-derived microparticles (PDMP), selectins, and adiponectin play an important role in the development of atherosclerosis in diabetes...
- Importance of donor- and recipient-derived selectins in cardiac allograft rejectionAtsushi Izawa
Transplantation Research Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2929-36. 2007The selectins expressed on activated endothelial cells (E- and P-selectin), leukocytes (L-selectin), and platelets (P-selectin) play crucial roles in the rolling and tethering of leukocytes...
- Naïve T cells re-distribute to the lungs of selectin ligand deficient miceJohn R Harp
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e10973. 2010..Selectin mediated binding also plays a key role in T cell entry to inflamed organs...
- Natural killer cells require selectins for suppression of subcutaneous tumorsOlga Sobolev
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, David H Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer Res 69:2531-9. 2009..Previously it has been shown that subcutaneous tumor growth is enhanced in mice lacking selectins, a family of cell adhesion molecules that mediate the first step of immune cell entry into tissue from the blood...
- [Clinical significance of soluble selectins and matrix metalloproteinases-9 in patients after successful cardiopulmonary resuscitation]Pei Jie Li
Second Affiliated Hospital of Lanzhou Medical College, Lanzhou Emergency Center of Gansu Province, Lanzhou 730030, Gansu, China
Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue 16:137-41. 2004....
- Memory T cells are enriched in lymph nodes of selectin-ligand-deficient miceJohn R Harp
Department of Microbiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Immunol 185:5751-61. 2010..These results suggest that memory T cells are enriched in LNs with T cell deficits by several mechanisms, including longer T cell retention and increased homeostatic proliferation...
- Intravital microscopy identifies selectins that regulate T cell traffic into allograftsThomas R Jones
Emory Transplant Center and Department of Surgery, Emory Universuty School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 112:1714-23. 2003..These data indicated that a specific retinue of molecules is upregulated during the rejection response, and they suggest potential future therapeutic targets...
- Ezrin-radixin-moesin-binding sequence of PSGL-1 glycoprotein regulates leukocyte rolling on selectins and activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinasesCaroline Spertini
Service and Central Laboratory of Hematology, Lausanne University Hospital, Rue du Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 287:10693-702. 2012..ligand-1 (PSGL-1) mediates the capture (tethering) of free-flowing leukocytes and subsequent rolling on selectins. PSGL-1 interactions with endothelial selectins activate Src kinases and spleen tyrosine kinase (Syk), leading ..
- Functions of selectinsK Ley
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Results Probl Cell Differ 33:177-200. 2001The selectins are cell surface lectins that have evolved to mediate the adhesion of white blood cells to endothelial cells and platelets under flow...
- The engagement of selectins and their ligands in colorectal cancer liver metastasesKonstantinos A Paschos
Liver Research Group, Section of Oncology, School of Medicine, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Cell Mol Med 14:165-74. 2010..In the sinusoids, cell connection and signalling is mediated by multiple cell adhesion molecules, such as the selectins. The three members of the selectin family, E-, P- and L-selectin, in conjunction with sialylated Lewis ligands ..
- Fucosyltransferase VII-deficient mice with defective E-, P-, and L-selectin ligands show impaired CD4+ and CD8+ T cell migration into the skin, but normal extravasation into visceral organsIris Erdmann
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Zurich, Gloriastrasse 31, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Immunol 168:2139-46. 2002The first step of leukocyte extravasation, leukocyte rolling, is mediated by E-, P-, and L-selectins. Mice deficient for alpha-1,3-fucosyltransferase VII (FucTVII)(-/-) are characterized by deficiency of E-, P-, and L-selectin ligand ..
- Molecular pathways in bone marrow homing: dominant role of alpha(4)beta(1) over beta(2)-integrins and selectinsT Papayannopoulou
Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7710, USA
Blood 98:2403-11. 2001..These data are in contrast to the importance of beta(2)-integrin and selectins in the adhesion/migration cascade of mature leukocytes...
- P-, E-, and L-selectin mediate migration of activated CD8+ T lymphocytes into inflamed skinTakako Hirata
Center for Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Immunol 169:4307-13. 2002..and E-selectin, the infiltration of CD8+ T cells in the inflamed skin is reduced, suggesting the role of these selectins in CD8+ T cell migration. We directly studied the role of selectins using in vitro-generated Tc1 cells...
- Neutrophil capture by selectins on endothelial cells exposed to cigarette smokeP C W Stone
Department of Physiology, The Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:1150-5. 2002..This pro-inflammatory response may contribute to pathology associated with smoking, especially in tissues remote from the lung...
- Mice lacking two or all three selectins demonstrate overlapping and distinct functions for each selectinU Jung
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Immunol 162:6755-62. 1999b>Selectins support the capture and rolling of leukocytes in venules at sites of inflammation and in lymphocyte homing...
- Targeting selectins and selectin ligands in inflammation and cancerSteven R Barthel
Harvard Skin Disease Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Room 669, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 11:1473-91. 2007....
- Selectins ligand decorated drug carriers for activated endothelial cell targetingXavier Banquy
Faculte de Pharmacie, Ecole d Optometrie, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bioconjug Chem 19:2030-9. 2008..These nanoparticles could be used for specific drug delivery to the activated vascular endothelium, suggesting their application in the treatment of diseases with an inflammatory component such as rheumatoid arthritis and cancer...
- Selectins mediate macrophage infiltration in obstructive nephropathy in newborn miceBärbel Lange-Sperandio
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0386, USA
Kidney Int 61:516-24. 2002..Macrophage infiltration into the interstitium plays a central role in this process. Selectins, a family of three adhesion molecules, are involved in leukocyte recruitment to sites of inflammation and immune ..
- Mobilization of stem/progenitor cells by sulfated polysaccharides does not require selectin presenceE A Sweeney
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:6544-9. 2000..of wild-type controls, suggesting that the mode of action of sulfated fucans is not through blockade of known selectins. Other mechanisms have been entertained, in particular, the release of chemokines/cytokines, including some ..
- Selectins and integrins but not platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 regulate opioid inhibition of inflammatory painHalina Machelska
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 142:772-80. 2004..2. Here we evaluate the relative contribution of selectins, integrins alpha(4) and beta(2), and platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) to the opioid-..
- Protective effects of inhibiting both blood and vascular selectins after stroke and reperfusionMary L Ruehl
University of Arizona College of Nursing, USA
Neurol Res 24:226-32. 2002..These results indicate that treatment of the blood and the endothelium with a selectin anti-inflammatory agent is protective after focal stroke and reperfusion in the rat...
- Correlation between expression of selectins and migration of eosinophils into the bovine ovary during the periovulatory periodF Rohm
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 13, Leipzig 04103, Leipzig, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 309:313-22. 2002..expression on activated ECs and the appearance of CD62L-positive leukocytes in the early corpus luteum development stage, suggesting the participation of both selectins in the migration of eosinophils under physiological conditions.
- In silico determination of intracellular glycosylation and phosphorylation sites in human selectins: implications for biological functionIshtiaq Ahmad
Institute of Molecular Sciences and Bioinformatics, Lahore, Pakistan
J Cell Biochem 100:1558-72. 2007..Structural modifications of hydroxyl groups of P-, E-, and L-selectins have been predicted and possible functions resulting from such modifications are proposed...
- A 3-D computational model predicts that cell deformation affects selectin-mediated leukocyte rollingSameer Jadhav
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Biophys J 88:96-104. 2005....
- Cellular adhesion molecules and cardiovascular disease. Part I. Their expression and role in atherogenesisS A Hope
Cardiovascular Research Centre, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 33:380-6. 2003....
- Selectins facilitate carcinoma metastasis and heparin can prevent themLubor Borsig
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
News Physiol Sci 19:16-21. 2004b>Selectins are cell adhesion molecules mediating attachment of leukocytes to activated endothelium as well as the adhesion reaction of tumors during malignancy...
- The role of selectins and integrins in adenovirus vector-induced neutrophil recruitment to the liverYang Li
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Eur J Immunol 32:3443-52. 2002..In conclusion, adenovirus vectors induce rapid neutrophil-mediated inflammation in the post-sinusoidal venules by selectins and alpha(4)-integrin but surprisingly not by CD18.
- Signal transduction by cell adhesion receptors and the cytoskeleton: functions of integrins, cadherins, selectins, and immunoglobulin-superfamily membersR L Juliano
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 42:283-323. 2002..Recent advances have provided insights into mechanisms underlying the ability of integrins, cadherins, selectins, and other cell adhesion molecules to regulate signal transduction cascades...
- Leukocyte adhesion deficiency type IID J Becker
Cellular and Molecular Biology Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0650, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1455:193-204. 1999..The genetic lesion in LAD II that accounts for the generalized fucosylation defect in LAD II patients remains to be determined...
- Selectin-carbohydrate interactions in shear flowM B Lawrence
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Health Sciences Center, Box 377, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 3:659-64. 1999..L-selectin bond formation rates may be strongly influenced by sulfate orientation in sulfo sialyl Lewis(x)...
- Neutrophil-bead collision assay: pharmacologically induced changes in membrane mechanics regulate the PSGL-1/P-selectin adhesion lifetimeK E Edmondson
Institute for Medicine and Engineering, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, 3320 Smith Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biophys J 89:3603-14. 2005..Membrane tether growth can be enhanced or reduced pharmacologically with consequent effects on PSGL-1/P-selectin lifetimes...
- Selectins--potential pharmacological targets?Carsten Kneuer
Institute for Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 15, Leipzig, Germany
Drug Discov Today 11:1034-40. 2006..in our (patho)physiological understanding have underpinned the frequent involvement of the protein family of selectins in the progression of serious illnesses, including cancer and cancer metastasis, and immunological diseases, ..
- The two-pathway model for the catch-slip transition in biological adhesionYuriy V Pereverzev
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Biophys J 89:1446-54. 2005..is applied to four experimentally studied systems taken from the literature, involving the binding of P- and L-selectins to sialyl Lewis(X) oligosaccharide-containing ligands...
- The involvement of selectins and their ligands in tumor-progressionIsaac P Witz
Department of Cell Research and Immunology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Immunol Lett 104:89-93. 2006..This review focuses on the role played by the selectins and their ligands in these interactions and especially in tumor cell extravasation...
- The molecular mechanics of P- and L-selectin lectin domains binding to PSGL-1Linda J Rinko
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Biophys J 86:544-54. 2004..Human PSGL-1 was covalently coupled to polystyrene beads. Chimeric selectins were adsorbed to nitrocellulose-coated glass beads on a coverslip...
- Selectin antagonists : therapeutic potential in asthma and COPDSuzanne J Romano
Novasite Pharmaceuticals Inc, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Treat Respir Med 4:85-94. 2005..Three known selectins are expressed in distinct subsets of cells: P-selectin is presented on the surface of activated platelets and ..
- Soluble cellular adhesion molecules, selectins, VEGF and endothelin-1 in patients with Wuchereria bancrofti infection and association with clinical statusP Esterre
Immunology Unit, Institut de Recherches Medicales Malarde, Papeete 98713 Tahiti French Polynesia
Parasite Immunol 27:9-16. 2005....
- Catch bonds: physical models, structural bases, biological function and rheological relevanceCheng Zhu
Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Biorheology 42:443-62. 2005....
- Lymphocyte trafficking through blood and lymphatic vessels: more than just selectins, chemokines and integrinsDietmar Vestweber
Max Planck Institute of Vascular Biology and Institute of Cell Biology, ZMBE, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Eur J Immunol 33:1361-4. 2003
- The state diagram for cell adhesion mediated by two receptorsSujata K Bhatia
Department of Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering, and Institute for Medicine and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biophys J 84:2671-90. 2003..Cells first transiently adhere, or "roll" (via interactions between selectins and sialyl-Lewis-x), and then firmly adhere to the vascular wall (via interactions between integrins and ICAM-1)...
- Effect of microvillus deformability on leukocyte adhesion explored using adhesive dynamics simulationsKelly E Caputo
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biophys J 89:187-200. 2005..Furthermore, simulated rolling trajectories of cells with deformable microvilli display periods of rolling interdispersed with pauses, consistent with that seen in experiments where microvilli were observed to stretch...
- Sepsis: emerging role of nitric oxide and selectinsAbhijit Chandra
Department of Surgery, King George Medical University Lucknow, India
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 61:71-6. 2006..an abnormally enhanced host inflammatory response that leads to neutrophil recruitment and activation involving selectins, a class of adhesion molecules, in the initial stages...
- Increased primary tumor growth in mice null for beta3- or beta3/beta5-integrins or selectinsDaniela Taverna
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:763-8. 2004Expression of alphavbeta3- or alphavbeta5-integrins and selectins is widespread on blood cells and endothelial cells. Here we report that human tumor cells injected s.c...
- Mice genetically lacking endothelial selectins are resistant to the lethality in septic peritonitisAkihiro Matsukawa
Department of Pathology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, 860 0811, Japan
Exp Mol Pathol 72:68-76. 2002..with vascular endothelium are an initial step for leukocyte entry into infectious foci where endothelial selectins may play a key role...
- Trafficking of Th1 cells to lung: a role for selectins and a P-selectin glycoprotein-1-independent ligandJoan G Clark
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 30:220-7. 2004Trafficking of lymphocytes to lung is a critical component of pulmonary immune defense and surveillance. Selectins, expressed on vascular endothelium, regulate T lymphocyte emigration into tissues, such as skin, but the role of the ..
- The beta2, alpha4, alpha5 integrins and selectins mediate chemotactic factor and endotoxin-enhanced neutrophil sequestration in the lungJ A Burns
Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Am J Pathol 158:1809-19. 2001..contribution of cell adhesion molecules in this process, we used blocking monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) to rat selectins and integrins in a model of PMNL margination (reflected by acute blood neutropenia) induced by N-formyl-met-leu-..
- Selectins induced by interleukin-1beta on the human liver endothelial cells act as ligands for sialyl Lewis X-expressing human colon cancer cell metastasisY Matsushita
Department of Pathology II, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Cancer Lett 133:151-60. 1998..It is now well known that SLeX antigen and sialyl Lewis A (SLeA) antigen are ligands for the selectins expressed on the endothelial cells...
- Overlapping roles of endothelial selectins and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 in immune complex-induced leukocyte recruitment in the cremasteric microvasculatureM Ursula Norman
Centre for Inflammatory Diseases, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Am J Pathol 163:1491-503. 2003..These observations demonstrate that immune complex-mediated leukocyte recruitment in the cremaster muscle involves overlapping roles for the endothelial selectins and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1.
- Selectins-an emerging target for drug deliveryCarsten Ehrhardt
Department of Biopharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Saarland University, Building 8 1, 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:527-49. 2004b>Selectins are multifunctional adhesion molecules that mediate the initial interactions between circulating leukocytes and cells of the endothelium...
- Gal3ST-2 involved in tumor metastasis process by regulation of adhesion ability to selectins and expression of integrinsBi Zhi Shi
Department of Biochemistry, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:934-40. 2005..These results suggested that Gal3ST-2 was involved in tumor metastasis process by regulation of adhesion ability to selectins and expression of integrins.
- Systemic administration of a TLR7 ligand leads to transient immune incompetence due to peripheral-blood leukocyte depletionMatthias Gunzer
German Research Centre for Biotechnology, Junior Research Group Immunodynamics, Braunschweig, Germany
Blood 106:2424-32. 2005....
- Biological mediators of acute inflammationJames A Rankin
University of Calgary, Faculty of Nursing, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
AACN Clin Issues 15:3-17. 2004..Rather, the author provides a review of inflammation, an overview of the role of certain biological mediators in inflammation, and a discussion of the implications of certain biological response modifiers in clinical practice...
- Molecular mechanics and dynamics of leukocyte recruitment during inflammationScott I Simon
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 5294, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 7:151-85. 2005..there is heightened interest in the cell mechanics and receptor dynamics that lead from transient tethering via selectins to affinity shifts and adhesion strengthening through integrins...
- Adhesion molecules in inflammatory bowel disease: therapeutic implications for gut inflammationS Danese
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University School of Medicine, L go Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:811-8. 2005..This paper reviews the major molecules that mediate leukocyte-endothelial interactions, and summarises the results of the most recent clinical trials targeting adhesion molecules in inflammatory bowel disease...
- Blocking endothelial adhesion molecules: a potential therapeutic strategy to combat atherogenesisBianca C H Lutters
Division of Biopharmaceutics, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Lipidol 15:545-52. 2004....
- [Molecular mechanisms regulating trafficking of immune-competent cells: role of cell adhesion molecules]Toshiyuki Tanaka
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Recognition, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:431-6. 2005
- A critical temporal window for selectin-dependent CD4+ lymphocyte homing and initiation of late-phase inflammation in contact sensitivityJohn M Hwang
Immunology Research Group, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr N W, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4N1 Canada
J Exp Med 199:1223-34. 2004....
- Long-distance running modulates the expression of leucocyte and endothelial adhesion moleculesH G Nielsen
Center for Clinical Research, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Immunol 60:356-62. 2004..Our study thus supports the 'open-window' hypothesis, indicating a reduced capacity to combat infectious agents during the immediate post-exercise period...
- Imaging molecular expression on vascular endothelial cells by in vivo immunofluorescence microscopyJudith M Runnels
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Mol Imaging 5:31-40. 2006..Live imaging is particularly useful for following the dynamic expression of inducible molecules such as E-selectin during an inflammatory response...
- Transport features, reaction kinetics and receptor biomechanics controlling selectin and integrin mediated cell adhesionSriram Neelamegham
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 11:35-50. 2004..This review discusses the current state of understanding on how molecular bond formation rates coupled with cellular and hydrodynamic features regulate leukocyte binding to endothelial cells...
- [Role of platelets in atherosclerosis and inflammation]Dorothea Siegel-Axel
Abteilung Kardiologie und Kreislauferkrankungen, Medizinische Klinik III, Eberhard Karls Universitat, Tubingen
Med Klin (Munich) 101:467-75. 2006..Platelet-induced chronic inflammatory processes at the vascular wall result in development of atherosclerotic lesions and atherothrombosis...
- Emerging roles for ectodomain shedding in the regulation of inflammatory responsesKyle J Garton
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, 325 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
J Leukoc Biol 79:1105-16. 2006....
- Cell adhesion molecules, leukocyte trafficking, and strategies to reduce leukocyte infiltrationZ A Radi
Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames 50011-1250, USA
J Vet Intern Med 15:516-29. 2001..An initial slowing of leukocytes on the vascular endothelium is mediated by selectins. This event is followed by (1) activation of beta2 integrins after leukocyte exposure to cytokines and pro-..
- Hypoxia induces adhesion molecules on cancer cells: A missing link between Warburg effect and induction of selectin-ligand carbohydratesTetsufumi Koike
Department Molecular Pathology, Aichi Cancer Center, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8132-7. 2004....
- Role of selectins in the triggering, growth, and dissemination of T-lymphoma cells: implication of L-selectin in the growth of thymic lymphomaSimon D Bélanger
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite du Quebec, Laval, Canada
Blood 105:4800-6. 2005..Because selectins usually act in a coordinated fashion with ICAM-1 in the recruitment of circulating normal cells, we investigated ..
- Therapeutic targeting of endothelial ligands for L-selectin (PNAd) in a sheep model of asthmaSteven D Rosen
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Am J Pathol 166:935-44. 2005..Furthermore, MECA-79 inhibited the accumulation of all classes of leukocytes in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. These findings represent the first demonstration that targeting of PNAd has therapeutic efficacy in an inflammatory disease...
- [Selectins in the pathogenesis and diagnosis of early atherosclerotic changes in children and adolescents with risk factors (obesity, hypertension and diabetes)]Barbara Głowińska
II Klinika Chorób Dzieci, Akademia Medyczna w Białymstoku
Przegl Lek 61:935-9. 2004b>Selectins are the group of adhesion molecules, which main role is the tethering of leukocytes to the endothelium. They induce relatively weak and transient adhesion allowing the cells to roll along the vascular wall...
- Distinct kinetic and mechanical properties govern selectin-leukocyte interactionsWilliam D Hanley
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
J Cell Sci 117:2503-11. 2004....
- Cell adhesion molecules: potential therapeutic and diagnostic implicationsShaker A Mousa
Albany College of Pharmacy, NY, USA
Methods Mol Med 93:157-74. 2004
- Effects of pulmonary ischemia-reperfusion on platelet adhesion in subpleural arterioles in rabbitsAndrew M Roberts
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Microvasc Res 67:29-37. 2004..Thus, it appears that platelet-endothelial interactions may contribute to the development of pulmonary IR injury...
- Rational design of novel, potent small molecule pan-selectin antagonistsRemo Kranich
Revotar Biopharmaceuticals AG, Neuendorfstrasse 24a, 16761 Hennigsdorf, Germany
J Med Chem 50:1101-15. 2007..first results of a rational hit-finding strategy to design novel small molecule antiinflammatory drugs targeting selectins, a family of three cellular adhesion molecules...
- Cooperation between lateral ligand mobility and accessibility for receptor recognition in selectin-induced cell rollingUdo Bakowsky
Department of Membrane Cell Biology, University of Groningen, 9700 AD Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 41:4704-12. 2002..This might help to develop a better understanding for the function of the natural selectin ligands...
- Roflumilast inhibits leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions, expression of adhesion molecules and microvascular permeabilityM J Sanz
Department of Pharmacology, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 152:481-92. 2007..The present study addressed the effects of the investigational PDE4 inhibitor roflumilast on leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions and endothelial permeability in vivo and in vitro...
- Leukocyte recruitment in hepatic injury: selectin-mediated leukocyte rolling is a prerequisite for CD18-dependent firm adhesionDaniel Klintman
Department of Surgery, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Hepatol 36:53-9. 2002This study was designed to examine the role of selectins and CD18 in leukocyte recruitment in hepatic injury induced by tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and galactosamine (Gal) in vivo.
- ADHESION MOLECULES AND GLOMERULONEPHRITISTANYA MAYADAS NORTON; Fiscal Year: 2000..effort, or have generated using gene targeting technology, mice deficient in leukocyte adhesion receptors, selectins (P-, E-, P- and E-, and L- selectin), ICAM-1, ICAM-1 and P-selectin, Mac-1, and mice deficient in thrombospondin ..
- MONOCYTE ADHESION TO ATHEROMA IN GENE TARGETED MICEKlaus Ley; Fiscal Year: 2000..Candidate monocyte-endothelial adhesion molecules potentially involved in monocyte recruitment include the selectins, InterCellular Adhesion Molecule ICAM-I, beta2 (CD18) integrins, Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule VCAM-1 and ..
- Anti-ischemic Resuscitation FluidMartin Bluth; Fiscal Year: 2007..Re- initiation of blood flow causes activation of several inflammatory mediators of the cytokine type, selectins and other molecules that rapidly mobilize the inflammatory response with subsequent global organ damage...
- FLOW CYTOMETRY, SAMPLE HANDLING AND CELL ADHESIONLarry Sklar; Fiscal Year: 2003..Weaker interactions are mediated by protein-carbohydrate binding between selectins and carbohydrate-bearing cellular mucins...
- PLATELET CELL ADHESION MOLECULESBruce Furie; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since PSGL-1 has been shown to bind to all selectins, the kinetic and equilibrium binding of soluble PSGL-1 to soluble P-selectin, E-selectin and L-selectin will be ..
- LEUKOCYTE ADHESION IN ALLERGIC INFLAMMATIONP Sriramarao; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our preliminary studies suggest that in addition to cell surface selectins and integrins, galectin- 3 (Gal-3), a carbohydrate-binding lectin that recognizes N-glycans expressed by MgatS, ..
- LEUKOCYTE ADHESION IN ALLERGIC INFLAMMATIONP Sriramarao; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our preliminary studies suggest that in addition to cell surface selectins and integrins, galectin- 3 (Gal-3), a carbohydrate-binding lectin that recognizes N-glycans expressed by MgatS, ..
- T CELL TRAFFICKING IN ADOPTIVE CELLULAR IMMUNOTHERAPYLloyd Stoolman; Fiscal Year: 2000..Consequently, transient induction of selectins on the vasculature associated with metastases as well as enrichment of the Tc/h-1 subset in the population of ..
- GLYCOLIPID E-SELECTIN LIGANDS ON HUMAN GRANULOCYTESBruce Bochner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although several glycoconjugates which bind to selectins have been identified, the natural ligands for E-selectin on human granulocytes have yet to be fully elucidated...
- SELECTIN MEDIATED LEUKOCYTE ADHESION IN VIVOKlaus Ley; Fiscal Year: 2002..E, P and L-selectins have been shown to mediate leukocyte rolling and to be required for the recruitment of inflammatory cells in ..
- Trophoblast Selectins and Their Uterine Mucin LigandsSusan Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..Together these observations suggested that selectins and their mucin-oligosaccharide ligands could play novel roles in TB adhesion to the uterus...
- Role of Selectins in Burns and Inhalation InjuryDaniel Traber; Fiscal Year: 2009..activation of PARP and NF-kappaB, the loss of L-selectin from blood neutrophils and the expression of P and E selectins and limit tissue damage in the lung, ileum, pancreas, skeletal muscle and liver with bum and inhalation injuries...
- AGBD T CELL DEPENDENT MECHANISMS OF GLOMERULONEPHRITISTanya Mayadas; Fiscal Year: 2006..In vivo, our studies during the current funding period revealed a hitherto unexpected complexity for the role of selectins in GN...
- Glycoside Inhibitors of Tumor MetastasisJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2009..leukocytes, and endothelial cells, sLe x-containing ligands expressed on many types of carcinomas interact with selectins on these cells...
- Glycoside Inhibitors of Tumor MetastasisJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2007..leukocytes, and endothelial cells, sLe x-containing ligands expressed on many types of carcinomas interact with selectins on these cells...