Genomes and Genes
adenomatous polyposis coli protein
Summary: A negative regulator of beta-catenin signaling which is mutant in ADENOMATOUS POLYPOSIS COLI and GARDNER SYNDROME.
Publications237 found, 100 shown here
- Activation of beta-catenin-Tcf signaling in colon cancer by mutations in beta-catenin or APCP J Morin
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, 424 North Bond Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Science 275:1787-90. 1997..These results indicate that regulation of beta-catenin is critical to APC's tumor suppressive effect and that this regulation can be circumvented by mutations in either APC or beta-catenin...
- Constitutive transcriptional activation by a beta-catenin-Tcf complex in APC-/- colon carcinomaV Korinek
Department of Immunology, University Hospital, Post Office Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Netherlands
Science 275:1784-7. 1997..Constitutive transcription of Tcf target genes, caused by loss of APC function, may be a crucial event in the early transformation of colonic epithelium...
- Wnt signaling and cancerP Polakis
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080 USA
Genes Dev 14:1837-51. 2000
- Loss of Apc in vivo immediately perturbs Wnt signaling, differentiation, and migrationOwen J Sansom
School of Biosciences, University of Cardiff, Cardiff CF10 3US, Wales
Genes Dev 18:1385-90. 2004..Critically, for the first time we confirm a series of Wnt target molecules in an in vivo setting and also identify a series of new candidate targets within the same setting...
- Linking colorectal cancer to Wnt signalingM Bienz
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cell 103:311-20. 2000
- Functional interaction of an axin homolog, conductin, with beta-catenin, APC, and GSK3betaJ Behrens
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Science 280:596-9. 1998..Thus, conductin is a component of the multiprotein complex that directs beta-catenin to degradation and is located downstream of APC. In Xenopus embryos, conductin interfered with wnt-induced axis formation...
- Essential role of beta-catenin in postnatal bone acquisitionSheri L Holmen
Laboratory of Cell Signaling and Carcinogenesis, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
J Biol Chem 280:21162-8. 2005..These findings suggest that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in osteoblasts coordinates postnatal bone acquisition by controlling the differentiation and activity of both osteoblasts and osteoclasts...
- Association of the APC gene product with beta-cateninB Rubinfeld
Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Richmond, CA 94806
Science 262:1731-4. 1993..An antibody specific to beta-catenin also recognized the 95-kilodalton protein in the immunoprecipitates. These results suggest that APC is involved in cell adhesion...
- Myc deletion rescues Apc deficiency in the small intestineOwen J Sansom
The Beatson Institute, Garscube Estate, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Nature 446:676-9. 2007..Array analysis revealed that Myc is required for the majority of Wnt target gene activation following Apc loss. These data establish Myc as the critical mediator of the early stages of neoplasia following Apc loss...
- EB1 and APC bind to mDia to stabilize microtubules downstream of Rho and promote cell migrationYing Wen
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nat Cell Biol 6:820-30. 2004..These results show an evolutionarily conserved pathway for microtubule capture, and suggest that mDia functions as a scaffold protein for EB1 and APC to stabilize microtubules and promote cell migration...
- Association of the APC tumor suppressor protein with cateninsL K Su
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231
Science 262:1734-7. 1993..A 27-residue fragment of APC containing a 15-amino acid repeat was sufficient for the interaction with the catenins. These results suggest an important link between tumor initiation and cell adhesion...
- Genome-wide screen reveals APC-associated RNAs enriched in cell protrusionsStavroula Mili
Department of Microbiology, Center for Cell Signaling, University of Virginia, HSC, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0577, USA
Nature 453:115-9. 2008..APC is required for the accumulation of transcripts in protrusions. Our results suggest a new type of RNA anchoring mechanism as well as a new, unanticipated function for APC in localizing RNAs...
- Epigenetic inactivation of the Wnt antagonist DICKKOPF-1 (DKK-1) gene in human colorectal cancerO Aguilera
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas Alberto Sols and Departamento de Bioquímica, Facultad de Medicina, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Oncogene 25:4116-21. 2006....
- E-cadherin binding prevents beta-catenin nuclear localization and beta-catenin/LEF-1-mediated transactivationS Orsulic
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, Stubeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
J Cell Sci 112:1237-45. 1999..The potent ability of E-cadherin to recruit beta-catenin to the cell membrane and prevent its nuclear localization and transactivation was also demonstrated using SW480 colon carcinoma cells...
- APC binds to the novel protein EB1L K Su
Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Cancer Res 55:2972-7. 1995..This conservation suggests an essential function for EB1 that might provide clues to the mechanism through which APC suppresses colonic neoplasia...
- Beta-catenin regulation during the cell cycle: implications in G2/M and apoptosisDavid Olmeda
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Mol Biol Cell 14:2844-60. 2003..These results support a role for beta-catenin in the control of cell cycle and apoptosis at G2/M in normal and transformed epidermal keratinocytes...
- Crystal structure of the amino-terminal coiled-coil domain of the APC tumor suppressorC L Day
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, 229 Stanley Hall 3206, Berkeley, CA, 94720 3206, USA
J Mol Biol 301:147-56. 2000..The low stability of APC-55 and divergence from the expected coiled-coil fold support the suggestion that the APC dimerization domain may extend beyond the first 55 residues...
- Mechanism of phosphorylation-dependent binding of APC to beta-catenin and its role in beta-catenin degradationNam Chul Ha
Department of Structural Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94043, USA
Mol Cell 15:511-21. 2004..Phosphorylated APC and axin bind to the same surface of, and compete directly for, beta-catenin. The structural and biochemical data suggest a novel model for how APC functions in beta-catenin degradation...
- Wnt regulates axon behavior through changes in microtubule growth directionality: a new role for adenomatous polyposis coliSilvia A Purro
Research Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 28:8644-54. 2008..Consistently, short hairpin RNA knockdown of APC mimics Wnt3a function. Together, our findings define APC as a key Wnt signaling target in the regulation of microtubule growth direction...
- The dynamic behavior of the APC-binding protein EB1 on the distal ends of microtubulesY Mimori-Kiyosue
Tsukita Cell Axis Project, Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, Shimogyo ku, 600 8813, Japan
Curr Biol 10:865-8. 2000b>Adenomatous polyposis coli protein (APC) is a well-characterized tumor suppressor protein   ...
- Cancer genes and the pathways they controlBert Vogelstein
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Johns Hopkins University Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Nat Med 10:789-99. 2004..The purposes of this review are to highlight examples of progress in these areas, indicate where knowledge is scarce and point out fertile grounds for future investigation...
- Apc modulates embryonic stem-cell differentiation by controlling the dosage of beta-catenin signalingMenno F Kielman
Center for Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, Sylvius Laboratory, Wassenaarseweg 72, 2333 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 32:594-605. 2002..Our results imply that constitutive activation of the Apc/beta-catenin signaling pathway results in differentiation defects in tissue homeostasis, and possibly underlies tumorigenesis in the colon and other self-renewing tissues...
- Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) differentially regulates beta-catenin phosphorylation and ubiquitination in colon cancer cellsJun Yang
Sealy Center for Cancer Cell Biology and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 281:17751-7. 2006..The APC domains required for beta-catenin ubiquitination were analyzed. Our results suggest that APC regulates beta-catenin phosphorylation and ubiquitination by distinct domains and by separate molecular mechanisms...
- Independent interactions of phosphorylated β-catenin with E-cadherin at cell-cell contacts and APC at cell protrusionsMaree C Faux
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e14127. 2010..The APC tumour suppressor functions in several cellular processes including the regulation of β-catenin in Wnt signalling and in cell adhesion and migration...
- Adenomatous polyposis coli protein nucleates actin assembly and synergizes with the formin mDia1Kyoko Okada
Department of Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
J Cell Biol 189:1087-96. 2010..These observations define a new function for APC and support an emerging view of collaboration between distinct actin assembly-promoting factors with complementary activities...
- Misorientation and reduced stretching of aligned sister kinetochores promote chromosome missegregation in EB1- or APC-depleted cellsV M Draviam
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
EMBO J 25:2814-27. 2006..We find that RNAi-mediated depletion of two kMAPs, the adenomatous polyposis coli protein (APC) and its binding partner, EB1, are unusual in affecting the movement and orientation of paired ..
- Nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling of APC regulates beta-catenin subcellular localization and turnoverB R Henderson
Westmead Institute for Cancer Research, University of Sydney, Westmead Millenium Institute, Westmead NSW 2145, Australia
Nat Cell Biol 2:653-60. 2000..These findings suggest that wild-type APC controls the nuclear accumulation of beta-catenin by a combination of nuclear export and cytoplasmic degradation...
- Molecular mechanisms of beta-catenin recognition by adenomatous polyposis coli revealed by the structure of an APC-beta-catenin complexK Eklof Spink
Departments of Structural Biology and of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 299 Campus Dr West Stanford, CA 94305, USA
EMBO J 20:6203-12. 2001....
- Mal3, the fission yeast homologue of the human APC-interacting protein EB-1 is required for microtubule integrity and the maintenance of cell formJ D Beinhauer
Institut fur Mikrobiologie und Molekularbiologie, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Cell Biol 139:717-28. 1997..We propose that Mal3 plays a role in regulating the integrity of microtubules possibly by influencing their stability...
- Role of APC and DNA mismatch repair genes in the development of colorectal cancersSatya Narayan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and UF Shands Cancer Center, College of Medicine, Academic Research Building, Room R4 216, 1600 SW Archer Road, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Mol Cancer 2:41. 2003..The focus of this review is to summarize the functions of APC and MMR gene products in the development of colorectal cancers...
- Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC): a multi-functional tumor suppressor geneKoji Aoki
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Cell Sci 120:3327-35. 2007..Deregulation of these processes caused by mutations in APC is implicated in the initiation and expansion of colon cancer...
- APC is essential for targeting phosphorylated beta-catenin to the SCFbeta-TrCP ubiquitin ligaseYunyun Su
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Mol Cell 32:652-61. 2008..Thus, by acting to protect the E3 ligase binding site, APC ensures the ubiquitin conjugation of phosphorylated beta-catenin...
- Mutations in the APC tumour suppressor gene cause chromosomal instabilityR Fodde
Department of Human and Clinical Genetics, and Center for Biomedical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9503, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Nat Cell Biol 3:433-8. 2001..We conclude that loss of APC sequences that lie C-terminal to the beta-catenin regulatory domain contributes to chromosomal instability in colorectal cancer...
- Wnt signaling and an APC-related gene specify endoderm in early C. elegans embryosC E Rocheleau
Department of Cell Biology, Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Cancer Center, Worcester 01605, USA
Cell 90:707-16. 1997..We present evidence that there may be partially redundant inputs into endoderm specification and that a subset of these genes appear also to function in determining cytoskeletal polarity in certain early blastomeres...
- Identification of a link between the tumour suppressor APC and the kinesin superfamilyTakeshi Jimbo
Laboratory of Molecular and Genetic Information, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 4:323-7. 2002..These results suggest that APC and beta-catenin are transported along microtubules by KAP3-KIF3A-KIF3B, accumulate in the tips of membrane protrusions, and may thus regulate cell migration...
- Spindle orientation bias in gut epithelial stem cell compartments is lost in precancerous tissueAaron J Quyn
Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 5EH, UK
Cell Stem Cell 6:175-81. 2010..This loss correlates with cell shape changes specifically in the stem cell compartment. Our data suggest that loss of asymmetric division in stem cells might contribute to the oncogenic effect of Apc mutations in gut epithelium...
- Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) is essential for maintaining the integrity of the seminiferous epitheliumPradeep S Tanwar
Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:1725-39. 2011....
- Messing up disorder: how do missense mutations in the tumor suppressor protein APC lead to cancer?David P Minde
Cellular Protein Chemistry, Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Cancer 10:101. 2011..Insight in the underlying molecular events will be invaluable in the development of novel strategies to counter dysregulated Wnt signaling by APC mutations in cancer...
- Crystal structure of a beta-catenin/APC complex reveals a critical role for APC phosphorylation in APC functionYi Xing
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Mol Cell 15:523-33. 2004..Our work suggests that the phosphorylation of the APC 20 aa repeats could be a critical switch for APC function...
- Multiple rare nonsynonymous variants in the adenomatous polyposis coli gene predispose to colorectal adenomasDuncan Azzopardi
Institute of Medical Genetics, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 68:358-63. 2008..These data suggest that multiple rare nonsynonymous variants in APC play a significant role in predisposing to CRAs...
- A common role for various human truncated adenomatous polyposis coli isoforms in the control of beta-catenin activity and cell proliferationShree Harsha Vijaya Chandra
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Glückstrasse, Erlangen, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e34479. 2012..Thus, truncated APC is an essential component of colorectal cancer cells, required for cell proliferation, possibly by adjusting β-catenin signalling to the "just right" level...
- Beta-catenin defines head versus tail identity during planarian regeneration and homeostasisKyle A Gurley
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine, 401 MREB, 20N 1900E, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Science 319:323-7. 2008..We suggest that beta-catenin functions as a molecular switch to specify and maintain anteroposterior identity during regeneration and homeostasis in planarians...
- Functional definition of the mutation cluster region of adenomatous polyposis coli in colorectal tumoursEva Maria Kohler
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Glückstrasse 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 17:1978-87. 2008..Thus, our data provide a functional definition of the MCR: the APC fragments typical of colon cancer are selected for the presence of a single functional 20R, the first one, and are therefore equivalent relative to beta-catenin binding...
- Somatic mutations of adenomatous polyposis coli gene and nuclear b-catenin accumulation have prognostic significance in invasive urothelial carcinomas: evidence for Wnt pathway implicationEfstathios Kastritis
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Athens University, School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Int J Cancer 124:103-8. 2009..Further study of the role of the Wnt pathway, potential crosstalk with other pathways and potential candidate therapeutic targets in urothelial cancer is needed...
- Wnt signaling in oncogenesis and embryogenesis--a look outside the nucleusM Peifer
Department of Biology and Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3280, USA
Science 287:1606-9. 2000
- Adenomatous polyposis coli regulates endothelial cell migration independent of roles in beta-catenin signaling and cell-cell adhesionElizabeth S Harris
Department of Biology, The James H Clark Center, Bio X Program, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Mol Biol Cell 21:2611-23. 2010..These results uncouple different APC functions and show that GSK3 beta/CKI phosphorylation regulates APC clusters and cell migration independently of cell-cell adhesion and beta-catenin transcriptional activity...
- APC and its modifiers in colon cancerLawrence N Kwong
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 656:85-106. 2009....
- Correlations between mutation site in APC and phenotype of familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP): a review of the literatureM H Nieuwenhuis
The Netherlands Foundation for the Detection of Hereditary Tumours, Leiden University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 61:153-61. 2007..No consistent correlations were found for upper gastrointestinal tumours. Genotype-phenotype correlations in FAP will be useful in decisions concerning screening and surgical management of FAP...
- Beta- and gamma-catenin mutations, but not E-cadherin inactivation, underlie T-cell factor/lymphoid enhancer factor transcriptional deregulation in gastric and pancreatic cancerK Caca
Department of Internal Medicine, The Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Cell Growth Differ 10:369-76. 1999..Furthermore, these data imply that the consequences of APC and beta-cat mutations are distinct from the effects of E-cad inactivation...
- Adenomatous polyposis coli is required for early events in the normal growth and differentiation of the developing cerebral cortexUladzislau Ivaniutsin
Genes and Development Group, Centre for Integrative Physiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Neural Dev 4:3. 2009..We examined the consequences of loss of Apc function for the early development of the cerebral cortex...
- EB1 proteins regulate microtubule dynamics, cell polarity, and chromosome stabilityJ S Tirnauer
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biol 149:761-6. 2000
- Spontaneous intestinal carcinomas and skin neoplasms in Msh2-deficient miceA H Reitmair
Department of Medical Biophysics, Ontario Cancer Institute Amgen Institute, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Res 56:3842-9. 1996..Some animals (7%) developed a variety of skin neoplasms analogous to the Muir-Torre syndrome. Msh2-/- mice implicate a direct role for mismatch repair in several neoplasms with striking phenotypic similarities to humans...
- Nuclear export of the APC tumour suppressor controls beta-catenin function in transcriptionRina Rosin-Arbesfeld
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
EMBO J 22:1101-13. 2003..Our evidence indicates that the rate of nuclear export of APC, rather than its nuclear import or steady-state levels, determines the transcriptional activity of beta-catenin...
- GSK-3beta-dependent phosphorylation of adenomatous polyposis coli gene product can be modulated by beta-catenin and protein phosphatase 2A complexed with AxinS Ikeda
Department of Biochemistry, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, Japan
Oncogene 19:537-45. 2000..Taken together, these results suggest that GSK-3beta-dependent phosphorylation of APC can be modulated by beta-catenin and PP2A complexed with Axin...
- Regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 expression by the Wnt and ras pathwaysYuzuru Araki
Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Res 63:728-34. 2003..Taken together, our data support the hypothesis that COX-2 is down-regulated by APC and up-regulated by nuclear beta-catenin accumulation, and additionally implicate the Wnt signal transduction pathway in colon and liver carcinogenesis...
- Cdc42 regulates GSK-3beta and adenomatous polyposis coli to control cell polaritySandrine Etienne-Manneville
MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology and Cell Biology Unit, Cancer Research UK Oncogene and Signal Transduction Group, and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Nature 421:753-6. 2003..We conclude that Cdc42 regulates cell polarity through the spatial regulation of GSK-3beta and Apc. This role for Apc may contribute to its tumour-suppressor activity...
- Characterization of functional domains of human EB1 family proteinsWen Bu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 278:49721-31. 2003..We also determined that the EB1 family protein-binding regions are amino acids 2781-2820 and 18-111 of APC and p150glued, respectively...
- Interaction with IQGAP1 links APC to Rac1, Cdc42, and actin filaments during cell polarization and migrationTakashi Watanabe
Department of Cell Pharmacology, Nagoya University, Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai, Showa, Nagoya, Aichi 466 8550, Japan
Dev Cell 7:871-83. 2004....
- The adenomatous polyposis coli protein: the Achilles heel of the gut epitheliumInke S Nathke
Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Dundee Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20:337-66. 2004..In this review, I discuss the molecular mechanisms that govern the various functions of APC and their relationship to the role of APC in colon cancer...
- The canonical Wnt signalling pathway and its APC partner in colon cancer developmentJean Schneikert
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Glückstr 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Gut 56:417-25. 2007
- Promoter hypermethylation leads to decreased APC mRNA expression in familial polyposis and sporadic colorectal tumours, but does not substitute for truncating mutationsStefania Segditsas
Molecular and Population Genetics Laboratory, London Research Institute, Cancer Research UK, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Exp Mol Pathol 85:201-6. 2008..Our data suggest that APC promoter 1A hypermethylation may influence APC expression levels in a subtle fashion, but methylation does not result in complete gene inactivation or act as a 'second hit'...
- Structural basis of the Axin-adenomatous polyposis coli interactionK E Spink
Department of Structural Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 299 Campus Drive West, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
EMBO J 19:2270-9. 2000..The molecular interactions observed in the Axin-APC complex provide a rationale for the evolutionary conservation seen in both proteins...
- Beta-catenin degradation mediated by the CID domain of APC provides a model for the selection of APC mutations in colorectal, desmoid and duodenal tumoursEva Maria Kohler
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Glückstrasse 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 18:213-26. 2009..The CID is a direct target of the selective pressure acting on APC during tumourigenesis. It explains the interdependence of both APC mutations, not only in colorectal but also in duodenal and desmoid tumours...
- Regulation of intracellular beta-catenin levels by the adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) tumor-suppressor proteinS Munemitsu
Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Richmond, CA 94806, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:3046-50. 1995..These results suggest that the tumor-suppressor activity of mutant APC may be compromised due to a defect in its ability to regulate beta-catenin...
- APC mutations in colorectal tumours from FAP patients are selected for CtBP-mediated oligomerization of truncated APCJean Schneikert
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Erlangen Nu rnberg, Glu ckstrasse 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 20:3554-64. 2011..This suggests that the sensitivity of truncated APC to oligomerization by CtBP constitutes an essential facet of tumour development...
- The ins and outs of APC and beta-catenin nuclear transportBeric R Henderson
Westmead Institute for Cancer Research, University of Sydney, Westmead Millennium Institute, NSW, Australia
EMBO Rep 3:834-9. 2002..Models that link APC and beta-catenin transport to function are discussed...
- Downregulation of beta-catenin by human Axin and its association with the APC tumor suppressor, beta-catenin and GSK3 betaM J Hart
Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Richmond, California 94806, USA
Curr Biol 8:573-81. 1998..This suggests a possible link between Axin, the Wnt-1 signaling components beta-catenin and glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta (GSK3 beta), and APC...
- Characterization of human MAPRE genes and their proteinsL K Su
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genomics 71:142-9. 2001..We showed that the three EB1 family proteins had different abilities to interact with APC in vitro, and we provided the first direct evidence for the association between endogenous EB1 and APC...
- Tracking the molecular features of nonpolypoid colorectal neoplasms: a systematic review and meta-analysisQuirinus J M Voorham
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 108:1042-56. 2013..We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to clarify the major biological events in NP-CRNs...
- Comprehensive mutation analysis in colorectal flat adenomasQuirinus J M Voorham
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e41963. 2012..In the present study, we aimed to compare the mutation spectrum of 14 cancer genes, between these two phenotypes...
- Wnt-signalling pathway in ovarian epithelial tumours: increased expression of beta-catenin and GSK3betaK Rask
Department of Physiology, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Br J Cancer 89:1298-304. 2003..However, it remains to be demonstrated whether it is an increased participation of beta-catenin in transcriptional regulation, or in the stabilisation of cellular integrity, or both, that is the crucial event in ovarian tumorigenesis...
- Stabilization of beta-catenin affects mouse embryonic liver growth and hepatoblast fateThomas Decaens
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR 8104, Paris, France
Hepatology 47:247-58. 2008..According to these data, in normal embryonic livers, beta-catenin was transiently activated in the nascent bile ducts...
- The roles of intrinsic disorder in orchestrating the Wnt-pathwayBin Xue
Department of Molecular Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Biomol Struct Dyn 29:843-61. 2012..Intrinsically disordered APC helps the collection of β-catenin from cytoplasm, facilitates the b-catenin delivery to the binding sites on Axin, and controls the final detachment of β-catenin from Axin...
- The ABC of APCN S Fearnhead
Cancer and Immunogenetics Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
Hum Mol Genet 10:721-33. 2001..This review deals with our understanding to date of how mutations in the APC gene translate into changes at the protein level, which in turn contribute to the role of APC in tumorigenesis...
- Nucleo-cytoplasmic distribution of beta-catenin is regulated by retentionEva Krieghoff
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Glückstr 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Cell Sci 119:1453-63. 2006....
- Binding of the adenomatous polyposis coli protein to microtubules increases microtubule stability and is regulated by GSK3 beta phosphorylationJ Zumbrunn
School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland
Curr Biol 11:44-9. 2001Truncation mutations in the adenomatous polyposis coli protein (APC) are responsible for familial polyposis, a form of inherited colon cancer...
- Axin-dependent phosphorylation of the adenomatous polyposis coli protein mediated by casein kinase 1epsilonB Rubinfeld
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
J Biol Chem 276:39037-45. 2001Axin and the adenomatous polyposis coli protein (APC) interact to down-regulate the proto-oncogene beta-catenin...
- APC in cell migrationSandrine Etienne-Manneville
Institut Pasteur CNRS URA, Paris, France
Adv Exp Med Biol 656:30-40. 2009....
- Colocalization of APC and DLG at the tips of cellular protrusions in cultured epithelial cells and its dependency on cytoskeletonsAkiko Iizuka-Kogo
Department of Anatomy I, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake, 470 1192 Aichi, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 123:67-73. 2005..This colocalization suggests that DLG functions not only at the lateral cell-cell contact sites of polarized epithelial cells but also at the protrusions of non-polarized epithelial cells through the interaction with APC protein...
- Directional neuronal migration is impaired in mice lacking adenomatous polyposis coli 2Takafumi Shintani
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
J Neurosci 32:6468-84. 2012..Thus, APC2 is an essential mediator of the cytoskeletal regulation at leading edges in response to extracellular signals...
- A new mechanism of SOX9 action to regulate PKCalpha expression in the intestine epitheliumSebastien Dupasquier
CNRS, UMR 5203, Institut de Genomique Fonctionnelle, 34094, Montpellier, France
J Cell Sci 122:2191-6. 2009..These results provide a potential explanation for the decrease of PKCalpha expression in colorectal cancers with constitutive activation of the Wnt-APC pathway...
- APC is a component of an organizing template for cortical microtubule networksAmy Reilein
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Beckman Center for Molecular and Genetic Medicine B121, 279 Campus Drive, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5435, USA
Nat Cell Biol 7:463-73. 2005..proteins that are involved in organizing this network, and we show that end-binding protein 1 (EB1), adenomatous polyposis coli protein (APC) and p150Glued - although considered to be microtubule plus-end-binding proteins - are ..
- ARM domain-dependent nuclear import of adenomatous polyposis coli protein is stimulated by the B56 alpha subunit of protein phosphatase 2AM A Galea
Westmead Institute for Cancer Research, University of Sydney, Westmead Millennium Institute at Westmead Hospital, New South Wales 2145, Australia
J Biol Chem 276:45833-9. 2001..We conclude that APC nuclear import is regulated by the ARM domain through its interaction with B56 alpha and postulate that APC/B56 alpha complexes target the dephosphorylation of specific proteins within the nucleus...
- Novel self-association of the APC molecule affects APC clusters and cell migrationZhuoyu Li
Division of Cell and Developmental Biology, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, WTB MSI Complex, Dundee, UK
J Cell Sci 121:1916-25. 2008....
- E-cadherin and APC compete for the interaction with beta-catenin and the cytoskeletonJ Hülsken
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
J Cell Biol 127:2061-9. 1994....
- The adenomatous polyposis coli protein is an essential regulator of radial glial polarity and construction of the cerebral cortexYukako Yokota
UNC Neuroscience Center and the Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuron 61:42-56. 2009..Thus, APC is an essential regulator of radial glial polarity and is critical for the construction of cerebral cortex in mammals...
- Tumor-associated NH2-terminal fragments are the most stable part of the adenomatous polyposis coli protein and can be regulated by interactions with COOH-terminal domainsZhuoyu Li
Division of Cell and Developmental Biology, School of Life Sciences, WTB MSI Complex, University of Dundee, Dundee, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 65:5195-204. 2005..Thus, the dominant function of NH2-terminal APC fragments found in tumor cells could be explained by loss of this regulation in tumors where COOH-terminal domains are missing...
- Telomere dysfunction and evolution of intestinal carcinoma in mice and humansK L Rudolph
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Genet 28:155-9. 2001..We propose that early and transient telomere dysfunction is a major mechanism underlying chromosomal instability of human cancer...
- The APC tumor suppressor binds to C-terminal binding protein to divert nuclear beta-catenin from TCFFumihiko Hamada
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, United Kingdom
Dev Cell 7:677-85. 2004..Our evidence indicates that APC is an adaptor between beta-catenin and CtBP and that CtBP lowers the availability of free nuclear beta-catenin for binding to TCF by sequestering APC/beta-catenin complexes...
- Promoter hypermethylation of multiple genes in carcinoma of the uterine cervixS M Dong
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Head and Neck Cancer Research Division, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205-2196, USA
Clin Cancer Res 7:1982-6. 2001..The pattern of gene promoter hypermethylation is distinctly different between AC and SCC. The absence of these epigenetic alterations in normal cervical tissue suggests that they may also be valuable as cancer markers...
- Truncated APC regulates the transcriptional activity of beta-catenin in a cell cycle dependent mannerJean Schneikert
Nikolaus Fiebiger Center for Molecular Medicine, University Erlangen Nurnberg, Glückstrasse 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 16:199-209. 2007....
- Molecular linkage underlying microtubule orientation toward cortical sites in yeastW S Korinek
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 7 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 287:2257-9. 2000..Bim1 homolog EB1 was originally identified through its interaction with adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) tumor suppressor, raising the possibility that an APC-EB1 linkage orients microtubules in higher cells...
- Structural determinants for EB1-mediated recruitment of APC and spectraplakins to the microtubule plus endKevin C Slep
The Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
J Cell Biol 168:587-98. 2005..These results provide a structural understanding of how EB1 binds two regulators of microtubule-based cell polarity...
- Bridging of beta-catenin and glycogen synthase kinase-3beta by axin and inhibition of beta-catenin-mediated transcriptionC Sakanaka
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0130, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:3020-3. 1998..These findings suggest that Axin, by forming a complex with beta-catenin and glycogen synthase kinase-3beta, can block signaling stimulated by Wnt or by adenomatous polyposis coli mutations...
- Binding of APC to the human homolog of the Drosophila discs large tumor suppressor proteinA Matsumine
Department of Oncogene Research, Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Japan
Science 272:1020-3. 1996..These results suggest that the APC-DLG complex may participate in regulation of both cell cycle progression and neuronal function...
- A two-step model for colon adenoma initiation and progression caused by APC lossReid A Phelps
Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Cell 137:623-34. 2009..Consistent with this model, human FAP adenomas showed robust upregulation of CtBP1 in the absence of detectable nuclear beta-catenin, whereas nuclear beta-catenin was detected in carcinomas...
- The APC tumor suppressor inhibits DNA replication by directly binding to DNA via its carboxyl terminusJiang Qian
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics, Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210 2207, USA
Gastroenterology 135:152-62. 2008..In an attempt to define its transcription-independent tumor suppressor functions, we tested whether APC directly affects DNA replication...
- Asef, a link between the tumor suppressor APC and G-protein signalingY Kawasaki
Laboratory of Molecular and Genetic Information, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113, Japan
Science 289:1194-7. 2000..These results suggest that the APC-Asef complex may regulate the actin cytoskeletal network, cell morphology and migration, and neuronal function...
- Fas/CD95 deficiency in ApcMin/+ mice increases intestinal tumor burdenHector Guillen-Ahlers
W M Keck Center for Transgene Research, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9070. 2010..Fas, a member of the tumor necrosis family, is responsible for initiating the apoptotic pathway when bound to its ligand, Fas-L. Defects in the Fas-mediated apoptotic pathway have been reported in colorectal cancer...
- The adenomatous polyposis coli tumor suppressor and Wnt signaling in the regulation of apoptosisHassina Benchabane
Dartmouth Medical School, Department of Genetics, Hanover, NH, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 656:75-84. 2009..This chapter summarizes our current understanding of the role of APC and Wnt signaling in the regulation of apoptosis, based upon studies from fly and mouse in vivo models, as well as cultured carcinoma cells...
- Shmt1 heterozygosity impairs folate-dependent thymidylate synthesis capacity and modifies risk of Apc(min)-mediated intestinal cancer riskAmanda J MacFarlane
Division of Nutritional Sciences and Department of Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14850, USA
Cancer Res 71:2098-107. 2011....
- The Role of Wnts in Stem CellGary Coombs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Some cancers, such as colon cancer, have mutations in components of the signaling pathway (i.e. adenomatous polyposis coli protein, "APC", axin, and [unreadable]-catenin)...
- Wnt and beta-Catenin Signaling in Development/DiseaseMariann Bienz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Basic researchers and the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry are invited to discuss how to exploit model systems and how to translate knowledge from these into drug development. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONFOCAL MICROSCOPE FOR LIVE CELL & MULTIWAVELENGTH WORKMark Peifer; Fiscal Year: 2001..Our proposal seeks to meet these new needs, by the creation of a multi-user facility that will provide a state-of-the art confocal microscope to a large group of NIH funded investigators. ..
- Inhibiting Survivin for Chemoprevention of Colon CancerSERGIO LAMPRECHT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PPAR-gamma ligands in colorectal cancerSeung Joon Baek; Fiscal Year: 2010..IV. To investigate the in vivo anti-tumorigenic effects of a novel PPARy ligand, MCC-555, and its affects on NAG-1 expression at different stages of colorectal carcinogenesis. ..
- Anti-cancer effects by the green tea catechinsSEUNG BAEK; Fiscal Year: 2006..2. Profile changes in gene expression following ECG treatment. 3. Compare the preventative and therapeutic efficacy of individual and combination catechins in animal models of colorectal cancer. ..
- Genetic Analysis of DAF-18/PTEN Signaling in C.elegansPATRICK HU; Fiscal Year: 2006..elegans, the well- annotated and complete genome sequence, and the recent adaptation of RNAi to h i gh-throughput analysis, this approach should greatly accelerate our understanding of DAF-18/PTEN signaling. ..
- Mechanism of neurodegeneration in dystonia musculorumRONALD LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF THE NEURONAL CYTOSKELETONRONALD LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hope that these transgenic models will give us a better indication of how the disease progresses and they should also give us the best system to study the downstream effects of the mutations. ..
- MODULATION OF COLON CARCINOGENESIS BY CHLOROPHYLLINRoderick Dashwood; Fiscal Year: 2008..3C. Determine CHL effects on beta-catenin nuclear export and Adherins junction remodeling. 3D. Assess direct effects of CHL on a downstream target of beta-catenin, c-Jun. ..
- FAMILIAL COLORECTAL NEOPLASIA COLLABORATIVE GROUPNoralane Lindor; Fiscal Year: 2007..fs20\par \par } ..
- Mechanism of SHeA2 Action in Ovarian CancerDoris Benbrook; Fiscal Year: 2009..The elucidation of the proteins involved in the SHetA2 pathwayswill provide potential biomarkers for ovarian cancer diagnosis, prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in gut morphogenesisDeborah C Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Transcription Regulation and Biological Function of NAG1SEUNG BAEK; Fiscal Year: 2005..Cancer and inflammation are certainly environmentally relevant problems and thus this project will provide new clues to aid in the understanding of how these drugs alter tumor development. ..
- CELLULAR AND NEUROBIOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF AGINGRONALD LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2003..The participating faculty members are all funded and have well equipped laboratories with all the research equipment necessary to do high quality cell and molecular biology. ..
- Steroids and Stem Cell in CarcinogenesisDoris Benbrook; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research will enhance our understanding of the process of carcinogenesis and chemoprevention, which could ultimately translate into strategies and pharmaceuticals for prevention of cancer. ..
- A Cytoskeletal Linker Protein Involved in Axon OutgrowthRONALD LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2004..Other association partners to different domains of MACF will be isolated by using the yeast two-hybrid system and by co-immunoprecipitation experiments. Finally, we will characterize a novel splice variant of MACF. ..
- Molecular Detection of Prostate Cancer in UrinePaul Cairns; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will test this further in two clinically problematic populations in need of better diagnosis. ..
- Nuclear functions of the tumor suppressor protein APCKRISTI NEUFELD; Fiscal Year: 2008..Greater knowledge of APC function in normal cells will improve our understanding of APC's role in tumorigenesis and ultimately illuminate new points for therapeutic intervention. ..
- APOPTOSIS IN COLON CANCER CHEMOPREVENTIONEugene Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- SIGNALING BY FRIZZLED PROTEINS IN DROSOPHILARoel Nusse; Fiscal Year: 2003..Moreover, as many components of Wnt signaling are implicated in human tumors, this work is also relevant to our understanding of carcinogenesis. ..
- Isolated Wnt Proteins as Tools to Control Progenitor CellsRoel Nusse; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ability to combine purified Wnt proteins with cells in culture and genomics offer a powerful approach to study the mechanism of cell fate choices and may lead to the use of a new class of reagents to manipulate progenitor cells. ..
- Gordon Research Conference of PolyamineEugene Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Early Events in Colitis-Associated Colorectal CancerWen Chi Chang; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- APC PATHWAY--A TARGET FOR CHEMOPREVENTIVE INTERVENTIONWen Chi Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..in nutritional biochemistry when combined with the proposed training in cancer prevention and molecular genetics will provide her with the unique ability to develop both natural and synthetic compounds as clinical chemopreventive agents ..
- GLYCOCONJUGATES IN PANCREATIC CANCERYoung Kim; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hoped that these studies will facilitate the development of novel approaches to both the early diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Restoration of beta-catenin signaling by perillyl alcoh*Wen Chi Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from the proposed research will determine the feasibility of developing POH as a chemopreventive agent for patients with colorectal cancer and provide the basis for future R01 funding. ..
- INTERACTION OF APC AND P53 IN COLORECTAL CARCINOGENESISSatya Narayan; Fiscal Year: 2001..Therefore, novel therapeutic strategies may emerge with respect to potential new targets for chemotherapeutic intervention in colon cancer. ..
- Tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli and breast carcinogenesisSatya Narayan; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- HUMAN ABERRANT CRYPT FOCI--BIOMARKERS FOR COLON CANCERTHERESA PRETLOW; Fiscal Year: 2005..Correlation of these multiple studies on the same ACF should provide new insights into the role of ACF in colon tumorigenesis. ..
- The molecular basis of planarian regenerationALEJANDRO SANCHEZ ALVARADO; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Involvement of APC in DNA RepairSatya Narayan; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings of these studies will lay the basis for the development of a new class of chemotherapeutic agents for the prevention of colorectal cancers. [unreadable] [unreadable]..