Genomes and Genes
Summary: A myogenic regulatory factor that controls myogenesis. Myogenin is induced during differentiation of every skeletal muscle cell line that has been investigated, in contrast to the other myogenic regulatory factors that only appear in certain cell types.
Publications194 found, 100 shown here
- The molecular regulation of myogenesisL A Sabourin
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, MOBIX, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Genet 57:16-25. 2000..studies have unraveled important mechanisms by which the four myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs: MyoD, Myf-5, myogenin, and MRF4) control the specification and the differentiation of the muscle lineage...
- Failure of Myf5 to support myogenic differentiation without myogenin, MyoD, and MRF4M R Valdez
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas, 75235 9148, USA
Dev Biol 219:287-98. 2000The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors-MyoD, Myf5, myogenin, and MRF4-can each activate the skeletal muscle-differentiation program in transfection assays...
- Cyclic amplification and selection of targets (CASTing) for the myogenin consensus binding siteW E Wright
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas 75235
Mol Cell Biol 11:4104-10. 1991The consensus binding site for the muscle regulatory factor myogenin was determined from an unbiased set of degenerate oligonucleotides using CASTing (cyclic amplification and selection of targets)...
- Suppression of testosterone does not blunt mRNA expression of myoD, myogenin, IGF, myostatin or androgen receptor post strength training in humansThue Kvorning
Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
J Physiol 578:579-93. 2007..05). mRNA expression of IGF-IE(bc) and myogenin increased, while expression of myostatin decreased (P < 0...
- p53-independent expression of p21Cip1 in muscle and other terminally differentiating cellsS B Parker
Department of Biochemistry, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Science 267:1024-7. 1995..p21 expression in 10T1/2 cells, p21 was expressed in myogenic cells of mice lacking the genes encoding MyoD and myogenin, demonstrating that p21 expression does not require these transcription factors...
- Myogenic factors that regulate expression of muscle-specific microRNAsPrakash K Rao
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8721-6. 2006..By using CHIP analysis, we demonstrate that the myogenic factors Myogenin and MyoD bind to regions upstream of these microRNAs and, therefore, are likely to regulate their expression...
- Myogenin and class II HDACs control neurogenic muscle atrophy by inducing E3 ubiquitin ligasesViviana Moresi
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cell 143:35-45. 2010..We show that myogenin, an essential regulator of muscle development, controls neurogenic atrophy...
- An initial blueprint for myogenic differentiationAlexandre Blais
Department of Pathology, New York University Cancer Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Genes Dev 19:553-69. 2005..We identified a cadre of overlapping and distinct targets of the key myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs)--MyoD and myogenin--and Myocyte Enhancer Factor 2 (MEF2)...
- Muscle deficiency and neonatal death in mice with a targeted mutation in the myogenin geneP Hasty
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Nature 364:501-6. 1993b>Myogenin is a muscle-specific transcription factor that can induce myogenesis in a variety of cell types in tissue culture. To test myogenin's role in vivo, mice homozygous for a targeted mutation in the myogenin gene were generated...
- MyoD and myogenin are coexpressed in regenerating skeletal muscle of the mouseE M Füchtbauer
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Dev Dyn 193:34-9. 1992..Little is known about the presence of MyoD1 and myogenin during the process of regeneration...
- Cooperative synergy between NFAT and MyoD regulates myogenin expression and myogenesisAnne Sophie Armand
The Hubrecht Institute and Interuniversity Cardiology Institute Netherlands, Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 283:29004-10. 2008..The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors, MyoD, myogenin, Myf5, and MRF4 specify the myogenic lineage...
- Myogenin induces higher oxidative capacity in pre-existing mouse muscle fibres after somatic DNA transferMerete Ekmark
Department of Biology, University of Oslo, PO Box 1051, Blindern, N-0316 Oslo, Norway
J Physiol 548:259-69. 2003..b>Myogenin is a muscle-specific, basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor that is important during early muscle ..
- MyoD and myogenin protein expression in skeletal muscles of senile ratsEduard I Dedkov
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 4643 Medical Sciences II Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Cell Tissue Res 311:401-16. 2003We analyzed the level of protein expression of two myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs), MyoD and myogenin, in senile skeletal muscles and determined the cellular source of their production in young adult (4 months old), old (24, 26, and 28 ..
- The effects of age and hindlimb supension on the levels of expression of the myogenic regulatory factors MyoD and myogenin in rat fast and slow skeletal musclesS E Alway
Division of Exercise Physiology, Robert C Byrd Health Science Center, West Virginia School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26506 9227, USA
Exp Physiol 86:509-17. 2001..Plantaris muscles from young adult rats had significantly higher levels of myogenin mRNA and protein (890 % and 314 %, respectively, P < 0...
- Accelerated response of the myogenin gene to denervation in mutant mice lacking phosphorylation of myogenin at threonine 87Chris S Blagden
Molecular Neurobiology Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical School, New York, New York 10016, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1983-9. 2004..The binding of these bHLH proteins, notably MyoD and myogenin, to E-boxes in their own regulatory regions is blocked by protein kinase C (PKC)-mediated phosphorylation of a ..
- A highly conserved molecular switch binds MSY-3 to regulate myogenin repression in postnatal muscleLibera Berghella
Institute of Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, San Raffaele Biomedical Science Park, Rome 00128, Italy
Genes Dev 22:2125-38. 2008b>Myogenin is the dominant transcriptional regulator of embryonic and fetal muscle differentiation and during maturation is profoundly down-regulated...
- The insulin-like growth factor-phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt signaling pathway regulates myogenin expression in normal myogenic cells but not in rhabdomyosarcoma-derived RD cellsQ Xu
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China
J Biol Chem 275:36750-7. 2000..One of the molecular mechanisms underlying IGF-stimulated myogenesis is transcriptional induction of myogenin. The current work is aimed to elucidate the signaling pathways mediating the IGF effect on myogenin promoter in ..
- The methyl-CpG-binding protein CIBZ suppresses myogenic differentiation by directly inhibiting myogenin expressionYu Oikawa
Division of Gene Function in Animals, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Cell Res 21:1578-90. 2011..of skeletal muscle are carried out mainly by satellite cells, which, upon stimulation, begin to express myogenin (Myog), the critical determinant of myogenic differentiation...
- Myogenin is required for late but not early aspects of myogenesis during mouse developmentJ M Venuti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
J Cell Biol 128:563-76. 1995Mice with a targeted mutation in the myogenic basic helix-loop-helix regulatory protein myogenin have severe muscle defects resulting in perinatal death...
- SMYD1, the myogenic activator, is a direct target of serum response factor and myogeninDali Li
The Institute of Biomedical Sciences and School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200241
Nucleic Acids Res 37:7059-71. 2009..and characterized the human SMYD1 promoter, which contains highly conserved serum response factor (SRF) and myogenin binding sites...
- The transcription of MyoD1 and myogenin genes in thymic cells in vivoM D Grounds
Department of Pathology, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands
Exp Cell Res 198:357-61. 1992The skeletal muscle specific genes MyoD1 and myogenin are closely associated with commitment of cells to the myogenic lineage and differentiation of skeletal muscle precursor cells...
- Insulin-like growth factor-mediated muscle differentiation: collaboration between phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt-signaling pathways and myogeninJ Tureckova
Oregon Health and Science University, Molecular Medicine Division, Department of Medicine, Portland, Oregon 97201-3098, USA
J Biol Chem 276:39264-70. 2001..Here we use this cell line to identify signaling pathways controlling IGF-mediated differentiation. Induction of myogenin by IGF-I and myotube formation were prevented by the phosphatidylinositol (PI) 3-kinase inhibitor, LY294002, even ..
- Mammalian myotube dedifferentiation induced by newt regeneration extractC J McGann
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13699-704. 2001..The muscle differentiation proteins MyoD, myogenin, and troponin T were reduced to undetectable levels in 15-30% of treated murine myotubes...
- MyoD synergizes with the E-protein HEB beta to induce myogenic differentiationMaura H Parker
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Molecular Medicine Program, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 26:5771-83. 2006..Upon induction of differentiation, a MyoD-HEB beta complex bound the E1 E-box of the myogenin promoter leading to transcriptional activation...
- MyoD(-/-) satellite cells in single-fiber culture are differentiation defective and MRF4 deficientD D Cornelison
Biology Division 156 29, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Dev Biol 224:122-37. 2000..upregulate MRF4, displayed a major deficit in m-cadherin expression, and showed a significant diminution in myogenin-positive status compared with wildtype...
- Myogenin regulates a distinct genetic program in adult muscle stem cellsEric Meadows
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 322:406-14. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine the role that the myogenic basic helix-loop-helix regulatory factor myogenin has in postnatal muscle growth and adult muscle stem cell gene expression...
- A gene with homology to the myc similarity region of MyoD1 is expressed during myogenesis and is sufficient to activate the muscle differentiation programD G Edmondson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
Genes Dev 3:628-40. 1989..Together, these results suggest the existence of a family of myogenic regulatory genes that share a conserved motif with c-myc...
- Membrane hyperpolarization triggers myogenin and myocyte enhancer factor-2 expression during human myoblast differentiationStephane Konig
Departement de Physiologie, Centre Medical Universitaire, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, 1 rue Michel Servet, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 279:28187-96. 2004It is widely thought that myogenin is one of the earliest detectable markers of skeletal muscle differentiation. Here we show that, during human myoblast differentiation, an inward rectifier K(+) channel (Kir2...
- Loss of myogenin in postnatal life leads to normal skeletal muscle but reduced body sizeJennifer R Knapp
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 133:601-10. 2006..Here, we test this assumption by determining the role of the myogenic regulator myogenin in postnatal life...
- The regulation of myogenin gene expression during the embryonic development of the mouseS P Yee
Laboratory of Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, UK
Genes Dev 7:1277-89. 1993..minimal sequences required for the complete recapitulation of the temporal and spatial expression pattern of the myogenin gene during embryogenesis...
- Myogenin gene disruption results in perinatal lethality because of severe muscle defectY Nabeshima
Department of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Neuroscience, Tokyo, Japan
Nature 364:532-5. 1993b>Myogenin is a member of the basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) gene family and converts multipotential mesodermal cells to myoblasts...
- Target gene selectivity of the myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor myogenin in embryonic muscleJudith K Davie
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Unit 1000, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 311:650-64. 2007The myogenic regulatory factors MyoD and myogenin are crucial for skeletal muscle development. Despite their importance, the mechanisms by which these factors selectively regulate different target genes are unclear...
- Decreased Jun-D and myogenin expression in muscle wasting of human cachexiaSonia Ramamoorthy
Department of Surgery, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E392-401. 2009..model of muscle wasting, TNF-alpha induces oxidative stress and nitric oxide synthase-2 (NOS2) and decreases myogenin, Jun-D, and creatinine kinase muscle isoform (CKM) expression...
- MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic phases in brown trout: a precocious onset of mosaic hyperplasia is a prerequisite for fast somatic growthP Steinbacher
Division of Zoology and Functional Anatomy, Department of Organismic Biology, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Dev Dyn 236:1106-14. 2007..Here, we use molecular techniques to provide a comprehensive characterization of MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic cell activation in embryos and larvae of brown trout, a fast-growing salmonid with ..
- Prototypical anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 prevents loss of IGF-I-induced myogenin protein expression caused by IL-1betaKlemen Strle
Laboratory of Integrative Immunophysiology, Integrative Immunology and Behavior Program, Department of Animal Sciences, College of Agricultural, Consumer and Enviromental Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E709-18. 2008..role in nonhematopoietic cells by suppressing the ability of exogenous IL-1beta to inhibit IGF-I-induced myogenin and myosin heavy chain expression in myoblasts...
- The small chromatin-binding protein p8 coordinates the association of anti-proliferative and pro-myogenic proteins at the myogenin promoterRamkumar Sambasivan
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, 500 007 India
J Cell Sci 122:3481-91. 2009..We show that, similar to MyoD and p300, p8 and p68 are located at the myogenin promoter, and that knockdown of p8 compromises chromatin association of all four proteins...
- Regulation of skeletal muscle differentiation in fibroblasts by exogenous MyoD gene in vitro and in vivoRui Feng Qin
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Qin Du Stomatological College, Fourth Military Medical University, Xian, P R China
Mol Cell Biochem 302:233-9. 2007..RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry confirmed the increased expression of characteristic downstream molecule myogenin and mysion heavy chains during myogenic differentiation...
- Regulating a master regulator: establishing tissue-specific gene expression in skeletal muscleArif Aziz
Sprott Center for Stem Cell Research, Regenerative Medicine Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, CA
Epigenetics 5:691-5. 2010..Thus Mef2d, Six4, and p38α MAPK function coordinately as regulators of a master regulator to mediate expression of MyoD target genes...
- Nitric oxide down-regulates caveolin-3 levels through the interaction with myogenin, its transcription factorMónica Martínez-Moreno
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040, Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 282:23044-54. 2007..in caveolin-3 levels are due to the alteration of the DNA binding activity of the muscular transcription factor myogenin. In the presence of *NO, the binding of transcription factors from cell nuclear extracts of muscular tissues to ..
- Sequential recruitment of PCAF and BRG1 contributes to myogenin activation in 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced early differentiation of rhabdomyosarcoma-derived cellsZhao Yong Li
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100005, China
J Biol Chem 282:18872-8. 2007b>Myogenin and its upstream regulator MyoD are known to be required for myogenic cell differentiation...
- Regulation of heterochromatin remodelling and myogenin expression during muscle differentiation by FAK interaction with MBD2Shi Wen Luo
Department of Neurology, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
EMBO J 28:2568-82. 2009..chromatin remodelling by its interaction with MBD2 (methyl CpG-binding protein 2), underlying FAK regulation of myogenin expression and muscle differentiation...
- Muscle differentiation. Which myogenic factors make muscle?M Buckingham
Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute, CNRS ERS 67, Paris, France
Curr Biol 4:61-3. 1994Mice lacking myogenin have little skeletal muscle as fibres fail to differentiate. Lack of both MyoD and myf-5 results in no skeletal muscle and apparently no myoblasts, suggesting that these factors act earlier in muscle development.
- Myostatin inhibits myoblast differentiation by down-regulating MyoD expressionBrett Langley
Animal Genomics, AgResearch, Private Bag 3123, East Street, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Biol Chem 277:49831-40. 2002..analysis indicated that addition of myostatin to the low serum culture media repressed the levels of MyoD, Myf5, myogenin, and p21 leading to the inhibition of myogenic differentiation...
- Early demethylation of non-CpG, CpC-rich, elements in the myogenin 5'-flanking region: a priming effect on the spreading of active demethylationAndrea Fuso
Department of Surgery P Valdoni, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Cell Cycle 9:3965-76. 2010..In this work, we analyzed the DNA methylation pattern of the 5'-flanking of the myogenin gene, a positive regulator of muscle differentiation with no CpG island and low CpG density, in both C2C12 muscle ..
- Akt phosphorylation is not sufficient for insulin-like growth factor-stimulated myogenin expression but must be accompanied by down-regulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase phosphorylationNicki Tiffin
Department of Pediatrics, Box 0434, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0434, USA
Endocrinology 145:4991-6. 2004IGF-I has a unique biphasic effect on skeletal muscle differentiation. Initially, IGF-I inhibits expression of myogenin, a skeletal muscle-specific regulatory factor essential for myogenesis...
- Wild-type myoblasts rescue the ability of myogenin-null myoblasts to fuse in vivoA Myer
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Dev Biol 185:127-38. 1997..In mice lacking the bHLH transcription factor myogenin, myoblasts are specified and positioned correctly, but few fuse to form multinucleated fibers...
- Inhibition of myogenin expression by activated Raf is not responsible for the block to avian myogenesisSally E Johnson
Department of Poultry Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
J Biol Chem 277:28742-8. 2002..We examined the effects of activated Raf on myogenin gene expression in avian myoblasts...
- Effect of genetic selection on MyoD and myogenin expression in turkeys with different growth ratesC Liu
Department of Animal Sciences, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
Poult Sci 84:376-84. 2005..development requires the ordered expression of specific myogenic regulatory factors, which include MyoD, Myf5, myogenin, and MRF4...
- Analysis of the DNA-binding properties of MyoD, myogenin, and E12 by fluorescence anisotropySoheila J Maleki
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham Street, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Biochemistry 41:10888-94. 2002MyoD and Myogenin are dominant myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs), which are involved in control of muscle-specific gene expression...
- Absence of dysferlin alters myogenin expression and delays human muscle differentiation "in vitro"Noemi De Luna
Servei de Neurologia i Laboratori de Neurologia Experimental, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Biol Chem 281:17092-8. 2006..A luciferase reporter assay was performed to study myogenin activity in dysferlin-deficient cultures...
- Expression of MyoD and myogenin in dystrophic mice, mdx and dy, during regenerationY Jin
Department of Ultrastructural Research, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry NCNP, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 99:619-27. 2000Expression of two myogenic regulatory factors, MyoD and myogenin, was studied in regenerating muscles of dystrophic mice and compared to a chemically induced regeneration process...
- Diffuse myogenin expression by immunohistochemistry is an independent marker of poor survival in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma: a tissue microarray study of 71 primary tumors including correlation with molecular phenotypeAmy Heerema-McKenney
Department of Pathology parallelBiochemistry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1513-22. 2008..containing 71 paraffin-embedded pediatric RMSs was immunostained with antibodies against p53, bcl-2, Ki-67, CD44, myogenin, and MyoD1...
- Myogenin regulates denervation-dependent muscle atrophy in mouse soleus musclePeter C D Macpherson
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Cell Biochem 112:2149-59. 2011..Muscle denervation stimulates muscle atrophy and Myogenin (Myog) is a muscle-specific transcription factor that is highly induced following muscle denervation...
- Rhabdomyosarcoma subtyping by immunohistochemical assessment of myogenin: tissue array study and review of the literatureD A Morgenstern
Unit of Molecular Haematology and Cancer Biology, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Pathol Oncol Res 14:233-8. 2008b>Myogenin immunostaining has been described as a useful marker of the alveolar subtype of rhabdomyosarcoma and as a tool for distinguishing it from the more common embryonal subtype...
- Rhabdomyosarcoma of the urinary bladder in adults: predilection for alveolar morphology with anaplasia and significant morphologic overlap with small cell carcinomaGladell P Paner
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1022-8. 2008..All tumors showed immunohistochemical expression for desmin, myogenin, and/or MyoD1. Synaptophysin was performed in 4 cases, and 3 showed weak cytoplasmic immunoreactivity...
- CARM1 activates myogenin gene via PCAF in the early differentiation of TPA-induced rhabdomyosarcoma-derived cellsXin Gao
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
J Cell Biochem 110:162-70. 2010..Here, we show that CARM1 can be recruited to the promoter of myogenin gene to enhance its transcriptional activation via PCAF at the early stage of TPA-induced RD cell differentiation...
- Induced expression of myoD, myogenin and desmin during myoblast differentiation in embryonic mouse tongue developmentA Yamane
Department of Pharmacology, School of Dental Medicine, Tsurumi University, Yokohama, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 43:407-16. 1998..myogenesis in embryonic mouse tongue through the induction of myogenic regulatory factors such as myoD, myf5, myogenin and MRF4/myf6/herculin...
- Opposing control of rhabdomyosarcoma growth and differentiation by myogenin and interleukin 4Patrizia Nanni
Section of Cancer Research, Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Mol Cancer Ther 8:754-61. 2009..Terminal myogenesis is controlled by cell-intrinsic myogenic transcription factors like myogenin and environmental mediators like interleukin 4 (IL-4)...
- Myogenin regulates exercise capacity and skeletal muscle metabolism in the adult mouseJesse M Flynn
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13535. 2010..The myogenic transcription factor myogenin is required for skeletal muscle development during embryonic and fetal life, but myogenin's role in adult ..
- Influence of PDGF-BB on proliferation and transition through the MyoD-myogenin-MEF2A expression program during myogenesis in mouse C2 myoblastsZ Yablonka-Reuveni
Department of Biological Structure, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Growth Factors 15:1-27. 1997..We demonstrate that mononucleated C2 cells first express MyoD (MyoD+/myogenin- cells) and subsequently, myogenin...
- Fine regulation of RhoA and Rock is required for skeletal muscle differentiationLoriana Castellani
Istituto di Biologia Cellulare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, 00016 Monterotondo Scalo RM, Italy
J Biol Chem 281:15249-57. 2006..Finally, we have reported that Rock acts independently from RhoA in preventing myoblast exit from the cell cycle and commitment to differentiation and may receive signaling inputs from Raf-1 kinase...
- Mrf4 determines skeletal muscle identity in Myf5:Myod double-mutant miceLina Kassar-Duchossoy
Stem Cells and Development, Department of Developmental Biology, CNRS URA 2578, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 431:466-71. 2004..Gene targeting studies have revealed hierarchical relationships between these and the other MRF genes, Mrf4 and myogenin, where the latter are regarded as differentiation genes...
- Myostatin imposes reversible quiescence on embryonic muscle precursorsHelge Amthor
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, London, UK
Dev Dyn 235:672-80. 2006..We report that in contrast to the down-regulation in expression of Pax-3, Myf-5, MyoD, and Myogenin, expression of Pax-7 was maintained...
- MyoD recruits the cdk9/cyclin T2 complex on myogenic-genes regulatory regionsCristina Giacinti
Department of Biology, Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, College of Science and Technology Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122, USA
J Cell Physiol 206:807-13. 2006....
- Myogenin, a factor regulating myogenesis, has a domain homologous to MyoDW E Wright
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235
Cell 56:607-17. 1989..isolation, sequence, and initial characterization of the cDNA for the muscle-specific regulatory factor skeletal myogenin. Transfection of myogenin into the mesenchymal cell line C3H10T1/2 produces cells expressing muscle-specific ..
- MyoD targets TAF3/TRF3 to activate myogenin transcriptionMaria Divina E Deato
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Mol Cell 32:96-105. 2008..system to analyze the properties of a TAF3/TRF3 complex in directing transcription initiation at the Myogenin promoter...
- SMD and NMD are competitive pathways that contribute to myogenesis: effects on PAX3 and myogenin mRNAsChenguang Gong
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Genes Dev 23:54-66. 2009..remarkable balance between SMD and the two types of NMD in view of data indicating that PAX3 mRNA is an SMD target whose decay promotes myogenesis whereas myogenin mRNA is a classical NMD target encoding a protein required for myogenesis.
- Phosphorylation of a proline-directed kinase motif is responsible for structural changes in myogeninN Hashimoto
Mitsubishi Kasei Institute of Life Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
FEBS Lett 352:236-42. 1994b>Myogenin, a member of the MyoD family which governs skeletal muscle differentiation, was identified as a pair of phosphorylated bands on SDS-PAGE during myogenesis. The slow migrating form was found to be hyperphosphorylated myogenin...
- Two myogenin-related genes are differentially expressed in Xenopus laevis myogenesis and differ in their ability to transactivate muscle structural genesFrederic Charbonnier
Laboratoire de Biologie du Développement et de la Différenciation Musculaire EA 2507, Centre Universitaire des Saints Peres, Universite Rene Descartes, F 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
J Biol Chem 277:1139-47. 2002Among the myogenic regulatory factors, myogenin is a transcriptional activator situated at a crucial position for terminal differentiation in muscle development...
- Skeletal muscle specification by myogenin and Mef2D via the SWI/SNF ATPase Brg1Yasuyuki Ohkawa
Department of Cell Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
EMBO J 25:490-501. 2006b>Myogenin is required not for the initiation of myogenesis but instead for skeletal muscle formation through poorly understood mechanisms...
- Inactivation of the myogenic bHLH gene MRF4 results in up-regulation of myogenin and rib anomaliesW Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Genes Dev 9:1388-99. 1995The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) proteins MyoD, myf5, myogenin, and MRF4 can initiate myogenesis when expressed in nonmuscle cells...
- Muscle-specific expression of myogenin in zebrafish embryos is controlled by multiple regulatory elements in the promoterShao Jun Du
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, 701 E Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 134:123-34. 2003b>Myogenin is a member of the basic Helix-Loop-Helix transcription factor family that play key roles in myoblast specification and differentiation...
- MyoD is functionally linked to the silencing of a muscle-specific regulatory gene prior to skeletal myogenesisAsoke Mal
Department of Molecular Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1735-9. 2003..we show by chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP) assays that MyoD and HDAC1 are both occupying the promoter of myogenin and that this gene is in a region of repressed chromatin, as revealed by enrichment in histone H3 lysine 9 (Lys-9)..
- A skeletal muscle-specific enhancer regulated by factors binding to E and CArG boxes is present in the promoter of the mouse myosin light-chain 1A geneF Catala
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, URA 1947, Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
Mol Cell Biol 15:4585-96. 1995..Two E boxes located at bp -76 and -519 are necessary for this regulation. MyoD and myogenin proteins bind to them as heterodimers with E12 protein and, moreover, transactivate them in cotransfection ..
- Nerve activity-independent regulation of skeletal muscle atrophy: role of MyoD and myogenin in satellite cells and myonucleiJon Philippe K Hyatt
Department of Physiological Science, University of California Los Angeles, 621 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 285:C1161-73. 2003..A rapid increase in myogenin and, to a lesser extent, MyoD mRNAs and proteins was observed in denervated and SI muscles: at the later time ..
- MyoD targets chromatin remodeling complexes to the myogenin locus prior to forming a stable DNA-bound complexIvana L de la Serna
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Department of Cell Biology, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:3997-4009. 2005..To understand the mechanism of activation, we performed chromatin immunoprecipitations analyzing the myogenin promoter...
- The dynamics of myogenin site-specific demethylation is strongly correlated with its expression and with muscle differentiationM Lucarelli
Department of Cellular Biotechnologies and Hematology and I Department of Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Biol Chem 276:7500-6. 2001..We analyzed the methylation status of specific CCGG sites in the 5'-flanking region and exon 1 of myogenin gene, a very important myogenic differentiation factor...
- Skeletal muscle cells lacking the retinoblastoma protein display defects in muscle gene expression and accumulate in S and G2 phases of the cell cycleB G Novitch
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biol 135:441-56. 1996..muscle differentiation program characterized by normal expression of early differentiation markers such as myogenin and p21, but attenuated expression of late differentiation markers such as myosin heavy chain (MHC)...
- Myocyte enhancer factor 2 acetylation by p300 enhances its DNA binding activity, transcriptional activity, and myogenic differentiationKewei Ma
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clearwater Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Mol Cell Biol 25:3575-82. 2005..of these lysines affects MEF2 DNA binding and transcriptional activity, as well as its synergistic effect with myogenin in myogenic conversion assays...
- Functional redundancy of the muscle-specific transcription factors Myf5 and myogeninY Wang
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Nature 379:823-5. 1996The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors, Myf5, MyoD, myogenin and MRF4, play key roles in skeletal muscle development...
- Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-5 blocks skeletal muscle differentiation by inhibiting IGF actionsAditi Mukherjee
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:206-15. 2008....
- The myotonic dystrophy expanded CUG repeat tract is necessary but not sufficient to disrupt C2C12 myoblast differentiationJ D Amack
Laboratory of Genetics, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 445 Henry Mall, Room 5322, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Hum Mol Genet 10:1879-87. 2001..determination factors MyoD or Myf5, but significantly impedes upregulation of the differentiation factors myogenin and p21. C2C12 provide a good model to study adult muscle regeneration...
- Differential binding of quadruplex structures of muscle-specific genes regulatory sequences by MyoD, MRF4 and myogeninAnat Yafe
Department of Biochemistry, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, POB 9649 Bat Galim, Haifa 31096, Israel
Nucleic Acids Res 36:3916-25. 2008Four myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs); MyoD, Myf-5, MRF4 and Myogenin direct muscle tissue differentiation...
- The homeobox gene Arx is a novel positive regulator of embryonic myogenesisS Biressi
Stem Cell Research Institute, DIBIT, H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, Milan, Italy
Cell Death Differ 15:94-104. 2008..Accordingly, it stimulates the transcriptional activity from the Myogenin promoter and from multimerized E-boxes when co-expressed with MyoD and Mef2C in CH310T1/2...
- Implication of the satellite cell in dystrophic muscle fibrosis: a self-perpetuating mechanism of collagen overproductionCatherine Alexakis
Muscle Cell Biology Group, Medical Research Council Clinical Science Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C661-9. 2007..On a single-cell level, collagen type I and myogenin became mutually exclusive after 3 days in differentiation medium, whereas addition of collagen markedly ..
- Mirk/dyrk1B decreases the nuclear accumulation of class II histone deacetylases during skeletal muscle differentiationXiaobing Deng
Department of Pathology, Upstate Medical University, State University of New York, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
J Biol Chem 280:4894-905. 2005..We now demonstrate that knockdown of Mirk blocks transcription of the muscle regulatory factor myogenin. Co-expression of Mirk with MEF2C, but not MyoD or Myf5, enhanced activation of the myogenin promoter in a Mirk ..
- Myocardin is a bifunctional switch for smooth versus skeletal muscle differentiationXiaochun Long
The Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16570-5. 2007..The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors MyoD and myogenin (Myog) direct the development of skeletal muscle and are thought to be dominant over the program of smooth muscle ..
- Pattern of Pax7 expression during myogenesis in the posthatch chicken establishes a model for satellite cell differentiation and renewalOrna Halevy
Department of Animal Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Dev Dyn 231:489-502. 2004..The expression pattern of Pax7 protein, along with the muscle regulatory proteins MyoD and myogenin, was additionally elucidated in myogenic cultures and in whole muscle from posthatch chickens...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) blocks the differentiation of C2C12 myoblast cellsHidenori Ito
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute for Developmental Research, Aichi Human Service Center, Aichi, Japan
J Cell Physiol 202:874-9. 2005..The levels of muscle specific bHLH proteins MyoD, Myf5, and myogenin were also decreased by addition of NDGA, indicating a block of the initial step of the myogenesis through ..
- Ubc9 expression is essential for myotube formation in C2C12Cecilia Riquelme
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Exp Cell Res 312:2132-41. 2006..However, it does not affect the expression, the localization and the activation of MyoD and myogenin. These novel results suggest that protein sumoylation plays a pivotal role in myoblast differentiation and is ..
- Involvement of transportin 2-mediated HuR import in muscle cell differentiationKate van der Giessen
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Biol Cell 18:2619-29. 2007Muscle fiber formation requires the sequential expression of myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs) such as MyoD and myogenin. The messenger RNAs encoding these two proteins are regulated posttranscriptionally through their ability to ..
- Akt binds prohibitin 2 and relieves its repression of MyoD and muscle differentiationLuguo Sun
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China
J Cell Sci 117:3021-9. 2004..When stably expressed in C2C12 myogenic cells, PHB2 inhibits myogenin induction and phenotypic muscle differentiation...
- Adaptive myogenesis under hypoxiaZhong Yun
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 269 Campus Dr, CCSR 1250, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:3040-55. 2005..This adaptive mechanism is accompanied by initial inhibition of the myoD, E2A, and myogenin genes followed by resumption of their expression in an oxygen-dependent manner...
- Necdin mediates skeletal muscle regeneration by promoting myoblast survival and differentiationDaniela Deponti
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, University of Roma La Sapienza, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Cell Biol 179:305-19. 2007..We also find that in muscle, necdin increases myogenin expression, accelerates differentiation, and counteracts myoblast apoptosis...
- Myogenin-dependent nAChR clustering in aneural myotubesPeter C D Macpherson
Molecular and Behavioral Neurosciences Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 31:649-60. 2006..b>Myogenin is a muscle-specific transcription factor that controls myoblast differentiation and nAChR gene expression...
- MURC, a muscle-restricted coiled-coil protein, is involved in the regulation of skeletal myogenesisMasashi Tagawa
Dept of Experimental Therapeutics, Translational Research Center, Kyoto Univ Hospital, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C490-8. 2008..In C2C12 myoblasts, MURC expression occurred coincidentally with myogenin expression and preceded sarcomeric myosin expression during differentiation into myotubes...
- Altered PPARgamma expression inhibits myogenic differentiation in C2C12 skeletal muscle cellsJaskirat Singh
Signal Transduction Research Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, SAS Nagar, Punjab, India
Mol Cell Biochem 294:163-71. 2007..inhibited the formation of myotubes, as well as expression of muscle-specific myogenic proteins including myogenin, MyoD and creatine kinase activity...
- Eya1 and Eya2 proteins are required for hypaxial somitic myogenesis in the mouse embryoRaphaelle Grifone
département génétique et développement, Institut Cochin Paris, INSERM, U567, Paris, F 75014 France
Dev Biol 302:602-16. 2007..between Six and Eya genes, but corresponding proteins activate key muscle determination genes (Myod, Myogenin and Mrf4)...
- Role of metalloprotease disintegrin ADAM12 in determination of quiescent reserve cells during myogenic differentiation in vitroYi Cao
Department of Biochemistry, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:6725-38. 2003..markers (retinoblastoma-related protein p130 and cell cycle inhibitor p27) and differentiation markers (myogenin and integrin alpha7A isoform)...
- CMF1-Rb interaction promotes myogenesis in avian skeletal myoblastsJ Brian Robertson
Department Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Dev Dyn 237:1424-33. 2008..by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction, MyoD and Myf5 mRNA levels are comparable to wild-type, while myogenin and contractile protein mRNA levels are significantly attenuated...
- MicroRNA-26a targets the histone methyltransferase Enhancer of Zeste homolog 2 during myogenesisChung Fai Wong
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Queensland Bioscience Precinct, 306 Carmody Road, St Lucia 4067, QLD, Australia
J Biol Chem 283:9836-43. 2008..Further, myoD and myogenin mRNA expression levels were also up-regulated...
- DESMIN AND VIMENTIN DURING MYOGENESISYassemi Capetanaki; Fiscal Year: 1993..in replicating presumptive myoblasts proceeding the expression of the myogenic regulator myoD and possibly myogenin. Terminal differentiation of skeletal muscle is associated with down regulation of vimentin and up regulation of ..
- IGFS AND SKELETAL MUSCLE CELL DIFFERENTIATIONStephen Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2002..In this proposal we will examine the mechanisms by which IGF-I initially inhibits and subsequently stimulates myogenin gene transcription, and we will evaluate the potential role of the cdk4/cdk6 inhibitor p19 in mediating the ..
- TURNING SCAR INTO VIABLE MYOCARDIUMRace Kao; Fiscal Year: 2004..Proteins specific to cardiac or skeletal muscel (TnI, myosin, connexin 43, myogenin) will be used to indicate the phenotypes of regenerated muscle by identifying the specific mRNA (Northern blot, ..
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF MRF4 ACTIVITY DURING MYOGENESISSTEPHEN KONIECZNY; Fiscal Year: 1993..of the basic/helix-loop-helix (b/HLH) protein family that also includes the muscle regulatory factors MyoD, myogenin and Myf-5...
- MYOD AND MYOGENIN IN MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY AND SARCOPENIASTEPHEN ALWAY; Fiscal Year: 2001..The overall goal of this proposal is to determine the significant of MRF transcription factors MyoD and myogenin in satellite cells and myonuclei of aged muscle...
- The Role of RNA-Binding Proteins in MyogenesisLubov Timchenko; Fiscal Year: 2007..expression of CUGBP1 in skeletal muscle in vivo leads to an abnormal expression of myogenic regulators (p21, myogenin, MEF2) that is accompanied by significant loss of mouse weight and by underdevelopment...
- Innervation-Dependent TranscriptionSTEVEN BURDEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Myogenin is a good candidate for a transcriptional mediator of electrical activity-dependent transcription, as myogenin ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF MYOGENIC RESPONSE IN DEVELOPMENTM Siddiqui; Fiscal Year: 2003..regulation was brought by the discovery of the activator myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs), MyoD, myf-5, myogenin, MRF-4, it is now becoming clear that other mechanisms, wherein the myogenic regulation can be attributed to the ..
- PAX-3 AND THE REGULATION OF SOMITIC MYOGENESISANDREW LASSAR; Fiscal Year: 2000..Pax-3 (which is normally expressed in the dermomyotome) is sufficient to induce expression of MyoD, Myf-5 and myogenin in paraxial mesoderm in the absence of inducing tissues...
- REGULATION OF PURKINJE FIBER DEVELOPMENT IN THE HEARTTakashi Mikawa; Fiscal Year: 2005..first time that myocytes undergoing Purkinje fiber differentiation express at least two factors similar to myoD/myogenin members of the bHLH transcription factor gene family...
- INTERFERON ANIMAL VIRUSES AND PROTEIN SYNTHESISPeter Lengyel; Fiscal Year: 2005..The transcription factors affected by p202a include: AP2, E2F-1, E2F-4, MyoD, myogenin, NF-kB, c-Myc and p53. By binding UBF, p204 inhibits ribosomal RNA synthesis...