Genomes and Genes
Summary: A myogenic regulatory factor that controls myogenesis. Myogenin is induced during differentiation of every skeletal muscle cell line that has been investigated, in contrast to the other myogenic regulatory factors that only appear in certain cell types.
Publications224 found, 100 shown here
- The molecular regulation of myogenesisL A Sabourin
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, MOBIX, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Genet 57:16-25. 2000..studies have unraveled important mechanisms by which the four myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs: MyoD, Myf-5, myogenin, and MRF4) control the specification and the differentiation of the muscle lineage...
- Teashirt-3, a novel regulator of muscle differentiation, associates with BRG1-associated factor 57 (BAF57) to inhibit myogenin gene expressionHervé Faralli
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, UMR 6216, CNRS Université de la Méditerranée, Campus de Luminy, Case 907, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
J Biol Chem 286:23498-510. 2011..we showed that overexpression of Tshz3 impaired myogenic differentiation and promoted the down-regulation of myogenin (Myog) and up-regulation of paired-box factor 7 (Pax7)...
- Failure of Myf5 to support myogenic differentiation without myogenin, MyoD, and MRF4M R Valdez
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas, 75235 9148, USA
Dev Biol 219:287-98. 2000The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors-MyoD, Myf5, myogenin, and MRF4-can each activate the skeletal muscle-differentiation program in transfection assays...
- Expression of myogenin during embryogenesis is controlled by Six/sine oculis homeoproteins through a conserved MEF3 binding siteF Spitz
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U129, Institut Cochin de Genetique Moleculaire, Universite Rene Descartes Paris V, 24 rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75014 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14220-5. 1998b>Myogenin, one of the MyoD family of proteins, is expressed early during somitogenesis and is required for myoblast fusion in vivo...
- Myogenin and class II HDACs control neurogenic muscle atrophy by inducing E3 ubiquitin ligasesViviana Moresi
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cell 143:35-45. 2010..We show that myogenin, an essential regulator of muscle development, controls neurogenic atrophy...
- Cyclic amplification and selection of targets (CASTing) for the myogenin consensus binding siteW E Wright
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas 75235
Mol Cell Biol 11:4104-10. 1991The consensus binding site for the muscle regulatory factor myogenin was determined from an unbiased set of degenerate oligonucleotides using CASTing (cyclic amplification and selection of targets)...
- The small chromatin-binding protein p8 coordinates the association of anti-proliferative and pro-myogenic proteins at the myogenin promoterRamkumar Sambasivan
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, 500 007 India
J Cell Sci 122:3481-91. 2009..We show that, similar to MyoD and p300, p8 and p68 are located at the myogenin promoter, and that knockdown of p8 compromises chromatin association of all four proteins...
- MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic phases in brown trout: a precocious onset of mosaic hyperplasia is a prerequisite for fast somatic growthP Steinbacher
Division of Zoology and Functional Anatomy, Department of Organismic Biology, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Dev Dyn 236:1106-14. 2007..Here, we use molecular techniques to provide a comprehensive characterization of MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic cell activation in embryos and larvae of brown trout, a fast-growing salmonid with ..
- The methyl-CpG-binding protein CIBZ suppresses myogenic differentiation by directly inhibiting myogenin expressionYu Oikawa
Division of Gene Function in Animals, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Cell Res 21:1578-90. 2011..of skeletal muscle are carried out mainly by satellite cells, which, upon stimulation, begin to express myogenin (Myog), the critical determinant of myogenic differentiation...
- Suppression of testosterone does not blunt mRNA expression of myoD, myogenin, IGF, myostatin or androgen receptor post strength training in humansThue Kvorning
Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
J Physiol 578:579-93. 2007..05). mRNA expression of IGF-IE(bc) and myogenin increased, while expression of myostatin decreased (P < 0...
- A gene with homology to the myc similarity region of MyoD1 is expressed during myogenesis and is sufficient to activate the muscle differentiation programD G Edmondson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
Genes Dev 3:628-40. 1989..Together, these results suggest the existence of a family of myogenic regulatory genes that share a conserved motif with c-myc...
- Regulating a master regulator: establishing tissue-specific gene expression in skeletal muscleArif Aziz
Sprott Center for Stem Cell Research, Regenerative Medicine Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, CA
Epigenetics 5:691-5. 2010..Thus Mef2d, Six4, and p38α MAPK function coordinately as regulators of a master regulator to mediate expression of MyoD target genes...
- Mirk/dyrk1B is a Rho-induced kinase active in skeletal muscle differentiationXiaobing Deng
Departments of Pathology and Cell and Developmental Biology, Upstate Medical University, State University of New York, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
J Biol Chem 278:41347-54. 2003..Mirk was induced with similar kinetics to another Rho-induced differentiation gene, myogenin. Mirk protein levels increased 10-fold within 24-48 h after primary cultured muscle cells; C2C12 mouse myoblasts ..
- MyoD and myogenin are coexpressed in regenerating skeletal muscle of the mouseE M Füchtbauer
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Dev Dyn 193:34-9. 1992..Little is known about the presence of MyoD1 and myogenin during the process of regeneration...
- Myogenin and MyoD1 expression in paediatric rhabdomyosarcomasN J Sebire
Department of Histopathology, Camelia Botnar Laboratories, Great Ormond Street Hospital, Great Ormond Street, London GU21 2FB, UK
J Clin Pathol 56:412-6. 2003..This review examines the use of the immunohistochemical markers, MyoD1 and myogenin, in the diagnosis of paediatric rhabdomyosarcoma, including its subtypes.
- Sequential recruitment of PCAF and BRG1 contributes to myogenin activation in 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced early differentiation of rhabdomyosarcoma-derived cellsZhao Yong Li
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100005, China
J Biol Chem 282:18872-8. 2007b>Myogenin and its upstream regulator MyoD are known to be required for myogenic cell differentiation...
- Mirk/dyrk1B decreases the nuclear accumulation of class II histone deacetylases during skeletal muscle differentiationXiaobing Deng
Department of Pathology, Upstate Medical University, State University of New York, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
J Biol Chem 280:4894-905. 2005..We now demonstrate that knockdown of Mirk blocks transcription of the muscle regulatory factor myogenin. Co-expression of Mirk with MEF2C, but not MyoD or Myf5, enhanced activation of the myogenin promoter in a Mirk ..
- Muscle differentiation. Which myogenic factors make muscle?M Buckingham
Department of Molecular Biology, Pasteur Institute, CNRS ERS 67, Paris, France
Curr Biol 4:61-3. 1994Mice lacking myogenin have little skeletal muscle as fibres fail to differentiate. Lack of both MyoD and myf-5 results in no skeletal muscle and apparently no myoblasts, suggesting that these factors act earlier in muscle development.
- An initial blueprint for myogenic differentiationAlexandre Blais
Department of Pathology, New York University Cancer Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Genes Dev 19:553-69. 2005..We identified a cadre of overlapping and distinct targets of the key myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs)--MyoD and myogenin--and Myocyte Enhancer Factor 2 (MEF2)...
- Regulation of heterochromatin remodelling and myogenin expression during muscle differentiation by FAK interaction with MBD2Shi Wen Luo
Department of Neurology, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
EMBO J 28:2568-82. 2009..chromatin remodelling by its interaction with MBD2 (methyl CpG-binding protein 2), underlying FAK regulation of myogenin expression and muscle differentiation...
- Muscle deficiency and neonatal death in mice with a targeted mutation in the myogenin geneP Hasty
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Nature 364:501-6. 1993b>Myogenin is a muscle-specific transcription factor that can induce myogenesis in a variety of cell types in tissue culture. To test myogenin's role in vivo, mice homozygous for a targeted mutation in the myogenin gene were generated...
- MyoD, myogenin independent differentiation of primordial myoblasts in mouse somitesM G Cusella-De Angelis
Institute of Histology and Embryology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
J Cell Biol 116:1243-55. 1992The accumulation of two myogenic regulatory proteins, MyoD and myogenin, was investigated by double-immunocytochemistry and correlated with myosin heavy chain expression in different classes of myoblasts in culture and during early ..
- Regulation of skeletal muscle differentiation in fibroblasts by exogenous MyoD gene in vitro and in vivoRui Feng Qin
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Qin Du Stomatological College, Fourth Military Medical University, Xian, P R China
Mol Cell Biochem 302:233-9. 2007..RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry confirmed the increased expression of characteristic downstream molecule myogenin and mysion heavy chains during myogenic differentiation...
- RNA-binding motif protein 24 regulates myogenin expression and promotes myogenic differentiationDonghao Jin
Department of Bioscience, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Genes Cells 15:1158-67. 2010..b>Myogenin is a major player in the initiation and maintenance of myogenic differentiation in a mouse myoblast cell line, ..
- Early demethylation of non-CpG, CpC-rich, elements in the myogenin 5'-flanking region: a priming effect on the spreading of active demethylationAndrea Fuso
Department of Surgery P Valdoni, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Cell Cycle 9:3965-76. 2010..In this work, we analyzed the DNA methylation pattern of the 5'-flanking of the myogenin gene, a positive regulator of muscle differentiation with no CpG island and low CpG density, in both C2C12 muscle ..
- MyoD and myogenin protein expression in skeletal muscles of senile ratsEduard I Dedkov
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 4643 Medical Sciences II Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Cell Tissue Res 311:401-16. 2003We analyzed the level of protein expression of two myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs), MyoD and myogenin, in senile skeletal muscles and determined the cellular source of their production in young adult (4 months old), old (24, 26, and 28 ..
- The insulin-like growth factor-phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt signaling pathway regulates myogenin expression in normal myogenic cells but not in rhabdomyosarcoma-derived RD cellsQ Xu
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China
J Biol Chem 275:36750-7. 2000..One of the molecular mechanisms underlying IGF-stimulated myogenesis is transcriptional induction of myogenin. The current work is aimed to elucidate the signaling pathways mediating the IGF effect on myogenin promoter in ..
- A highly conserved molecular switch binds MSY-3 to regulate myogenin repression in postnatal muscleLibera Berghella
Institute of Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, San Raffaele Biomedical Science Park, Rome 00128, Italy
Genes Dev 22:2125-38. 2008b>Myogenin is the dominant transcriptional regulator of embryonic and fetal muscle differentiation and during maturation is profoundly down-regulated...
- Accelerated response of the myogenin gene to denervation in mutant mice lacking phosphorylation of myogenin at threonine 87Chris S Blagden
Molecular Neurobiology Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical School, New York, New York 10016, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1983-9. 2004..The binding of these bHLH proteins, notably MyoD and myogenin, to E-boxes in their own regulatory regions is blocked by protein kinase C (PKC)-mediated phosphorylation of a ..
- Myogenin induces higher oxidative capacity in pre-existing mouse muscle fibres after somatic DNA transferMerete Ekmark
Department of Biology, University of Oslo, PO Box 1051, Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
J Physiol 548:259-69. 2003..b>Myogenin is a muscle-specific, basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor that is important during early muscle ..
- The transcription of MyoD1 and myogenin genes in thymic cells in vivoM D Grounds
Department of Pathology, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands
Exp Cell Res 198:357-61. 1992The skeletal muscle specific genes MyoD1 and myogenin are closely associated with commitment of cells to the myogenic lineage and differentiation of skeletal muscle precursor cells...
- Insulin-like growth factor-mediated muscle differentiation: collaboration between phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt-signaling pathways and myogeninJ Tureckova
Oregon Health and Science University, Molecular Medicine Division, Department of Medicine, Portland, Oregon 97201-3098, USA
J Biol Chem 276:39264-70. 2001..Here we use this cell line to identify signaling pathways controlling IGF-mediated differentiation. Induction of myogenin by IGF-I and myotube formation were prevented by the phosphatidylinositol (PI) 3-kinase inhibitor, LY294002, even ..
- Myogenin is required for late but not early aspects of myogenesis during mouse developmentJ M Venuti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
J Cell Biol 128:563-76. 1995Mice with a targeted mutation in the myogenic basic helix-loop-helix regulatory protein myogenin have severe muscle defects resulting in perinatal death...
- SMYD1, the myogenic activator, is a direct target of serum response factor and myogeninDali Li
The Institute of Biomedical Sciences and School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200241
Nucleic Acids Res 37:7059-71. 2009..and characterized the human SMYD1 promoter, which contains highly conserved serum response factor (SRF) and myogenin binding sites...
- Myostatin negatively regulates satellite cell activation and self-renewalSeumas McCroskery
Animal Genomics, AgResearch, Hamilton 2015, New Zealand
J Cell Biol 162:1135-47. 2003..satellite cell number could be due to increased self-renewal and delayed expression of the differentiation gene (myogenin) in Mstn-/- adult myoblasts...
- Are myogenin and myoD1 expression specific for rhabdomyosarcoma? A study of 150 cases, with emphasis on spindle cell mimicsM H Cessna
Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1150-7. 2001..Immunohistochemistry is used extensively to distinguish RMS from its mimics. Myogenin and MyoD1, myogenic transcriptional regulatory proteins expressed early in skeletal muscle differentiation, are ..
- Interplay between DNA methylation and transcription factor availability: implications for developmental activation of the mouse Myogenin geneDaniela Palacios
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, London, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 30:3805-15. 2010..Using the mouse Myogenin promoter as an example of the weak CpG island class of promoters, we find that it is initially methylated but ..
- p53-independent expression of p21Cip1 in muscle and other terminally differentiating cellsS B Parker
Department of Biochemistry, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Science 267:1024-7. 1995..p21 expression in 10T1/2 cells, p21 was expressed in myogenic cells of mice lacking the genes encoding MyoD and myogenin, demonstrating that p21 expression does not require these transcription factors...
- Effects of interleukin-6, leukemia inhibitory factor, and ciliary neurotrophic factor on the proliferation and differentiation of adult human myoblastsXuan Wang
Department of Physiology, Capital Medical University, Key Laboratory for Neurodegenerative Disorders of the Ministry of Education, 10 You An Men, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, P R China
Cell Mol Neurobiol 28:113-24. 2008..This study will provide the experimental and theoretic foundations for the basic and clinical researches about human myoblasts...
- MyoD synergizes with the E-protein HEB beta to induce myogenic differentiationMaura H Parker
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Molecular Medicine Program, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 26:5771-83. 2006..Upon induction of differentiation, a MyoD-HEB beta complex bound the E1 E-box of the myogenin promoter leading to transcriptional activation...
- Loss of myogenin in postnatal life leads to normal skeletal muscle but reduced body sizeJennifer R Knapp
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 133:601-10. 2006..Here, we test this assumption by determining the role of the myogenic regulator myogenin in postnatal life...
- MyoD(-/-) satellite cells in single-fiber culture are differentiation defective and MRF4 deficientD D Cornelison
Biology Division 156 29, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Dev Biol 224:122-37. 2000..upregulate MRF4, displayed a major deficit in m-cadherin expression, and showed a significant diminution in myogenin-positive status compared with wildtype...
- Membrane hyperpolarization triggers myogenin and myocyte enhancer factor-2 expression during human myoblast differentiationStephane Konig
Departement de Physiologie, Centre Medical Universitaire, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, 1 rue Michel Servet, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 279:28187-96. 2004It is widely thought that myogenin is one of the earliest detectable markers of skeletal muscle differentiation. Here we show that, during human myoblast differentiation, an inward rectifier K(+) channel (Kir2...
- Myogenin regulates a distinct genetic program in adult muscle stem cellsEric Meadows
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 322:406-14. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine the role that the myogenic basic helix-loop-helix regulatory factor myogenin has in postnatal muscle growth and adult muscle stem cell gene expression...
- Expression of MyoD and myogenin in dystrophic mice, mdx and dy, during regenerationY Jin
Department of Ultrastructural Research, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry NCNP, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 99:619-27. 2000Expression of two myogenic regulatory factors, MyoD and myogenin, was studied in regenerating muscles of dystrophic mice and compared to a chemically induced regeneration process...
- Myogenin regulates denervation-dependent muscle atrophy in mouse soleus musclePeter C D Macpherson
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Cell Biochem 112:2149-59. 2011..Muscle denervation stimulates muscle atrophy and Myogenin (Myog) is a muscle-specific transcription factor that is highly induced following muscle denervation...
- The effects of age and hindlimb supension on the levels of expression of the myogenic regulatory factors MyoD and myogenin in rat fast and slow skeletal musclesS E Alway
Division of Exercise Physiology, Robert C Byrd Health Science Center, West Virginia School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26506 9227, USA
Exp Physiol 86:509-17. 2001..Plantaris muscles from young adult rats had significantly higher levels of myogenin mRNA and protein (890 % and 314 %, respectively, P < 0...
- Inhibition of desmin expression blocks myoblast fusion and interferes with the myogenic regulators MyoD and myogeninH Li
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
J Cell Biol 124:827-41. 1994..inhibition of desmin expression was followed by differential inhibition of the myogenic regulators myoD and/or myogenin, depending on the stage and extent of desmin inhibition in these cells...
- Myogenin and oxidative enzyme gene expression levels are elevated in rat soleus muscles after endurance trainingParco M Siu
Division of Exercise Physiology, School of Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown WV 26506 9227, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:277-85. 2004..whether endurance exercise training regulates increases in metabolic enzymes, which parallel modulations of myogenin and MyoD in skeletal muscle of rats...
- Skeletal muscle cells lacking the retinoblastoma protein display defects in muscle gene expression and accumulate in S and G2 phases of the cell cycleB G Novitch
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biol 135:441-56. 1996..muscle differentiation program characterized by normal expression of early differentiation markers such as myogenin and p21, but attenuated expression of late differentiation markers such as myosin heavy chain (MHC)...
- Diffuse myogenin expression by immunohistochemistry is an independent marker of poor survival in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma: a tissue microarray study of 71 primary tumors including correlation with molecular phenotypeAmy Heerema-McKenney
Department of Pathology parallelBiochemistry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1513-22. 2008..containing 71 paraffin-embedded pediatric RMSs was immunostained with antibodies against p53, bcl-2, Ki-67, CD44, myogenin, and MyoD1...
- Myogenic factors that regulate expression of muscle-specific microRNAsPrakash K Rao
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8721-6. 2006..By using CHIP analysis, we demonstrate that the myogenic factors Myogenin and MyoD bind to regions upstream of these microRNAs and, therefore, are likely to regulate their expression...
- Cooperative synergy between NFAT and MyoD regulates myogenin expression and myogenesisAnne Sophie Armand
The Hubrecht Institute and Interuniversity Cardiology Institute Netherlands, Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 283:29004-10. 2008..The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors, MyoD, myogenin, Myf5, and MRF4 specify the myogenic lineage...
- Myogenin gene disruption results in perinatal lethality because of severe muscle defectY Nabeshima
Department of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Neuroscience, Tokyo, Japan
Nature 364:532-5. 1993b>Myogenin is a member of the basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) gene family and converts multipotential mesodermal cells to myoblasts...
- The regulation of myogenin gene expression during the embryonic development of the mouseS P Yee
Laboratory of Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, UK
Genes Dev 7:1277-89. 1993..minimal sequences required for the complete recapitulation of the temporal and spatial expression pattern of the myogenin gene during embryogenesis...
- Decreased Jun-D and myogenin expression in muscle wasting of human cachexiaSonia Ramamoorthy
Department of Surgery, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E392-401. 2009..model of muscle wasting, TNF-alpha induces oxidative stress and nitric oxide synthase-2 (NOS2) and decreases myogenin, Jun-D, and creatinine kinase muscle isoform (CKM) expression...
- Target gene selectivity of the myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor myogenin in embryonic muscleJudith K Davie
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Unit 1000, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 311:650-64. 2007The myogenic regulatory factors MyoD and myogenin are crucial for skeletal muscle development. Despite their importance, the mechanisms by which these factors selectively regulate different target genes are unclear...
- Identification of MAFbx as a myogenin-engaged F-box protein in SCF ubiquitin ligaseMisako Jogo
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Chiba University, Inage Ku, Chiba, Japan
FEBS Lett 583:2715-9. 2009Myogenesis is conducted by transcription factors including MyoD and myogenin. Myogenin is known to be polyubiquitinated by SCF (Skp1/Cullin 1/F-box protein) followed by proteasomal degradation, though the participating F-box protein is ..
- Myogenin and desmin immunohistochemistry in the assessment of post-chemotherapy genitourinary embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma: prognostic and management implicationsP Godbole
Department of Paediatric Urology, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, United Kingdom
J Urol 176:1751-4. 2006..However, the recent use of immunohistochemical staining with desmin and myogenin in resected specimens and surveillance biopsies following adjuvant therapy may demonstrate scant positive ..
- Satellite cell heterogeneity with respect to expression of MyoD, myogenin, Dlk1 and c-Met in human skeletal muscle: application to a cohort of power lifters and sedentary menMona Lindström
Section for Anatomy, Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Umea University, 90187 Umea, Sweden
Histochem Cell Biol 134:371-85. 2010..Our study unequivocally shows that staining for MyoD and myogenin are present in nuclei of SCs and of myoblasts and myotubes in areas of muscle fibre regeneration...
- Myogenin protein stability is decreased by BMP-2 through a mechanism implicating Id1Francesc Vinals
Unitat de Bioquimica, Departament de Ciències Fisiològiques II, Campus de Bellvitge, Universitat de Barcelona, E 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
J Biol Chem 279:45766-72. 2004..Here we describe that in C2C12 cells, BMP-2 decreases myogenin expression induced by des-(1,3) insulin-like growth factor-1 (des-(1,3)IGF-1) or ectopically expressed from a ..
- Induction of myogenin messenger ribonucleic acid in rat skeletal muscle after 1 hour of passive repetitive stretchingSatoshi Ikeda
Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:166-7. 2004To investigate the effect of repetitive passive stretch of living rat muscle on myogenin messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) expression.
- Effect of mechanical stretching on expressions of muscle specific transcription factors MyoD, Myf-5, myogenin and MRF4 in proliferated myoblastsS Abe
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Dental College, Mihama ku, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan
Anat Histol Embryol 38:305-10. 2009..Myf-5 expressed only at early stage of the stretch group. Although mRNA and protein expressions of myogenin and MRF4 were detected both in the stretch and in the control group at 12 h after the stretching, their ..
- Interaction of the myogenic determination factor myogenin with E12 and a DNA target: mechanism and kineticsDaryl S Spinner
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook 11794 5215, USA
J Mol Biol 317:431-45. 2002The myogenic determination factors MyoD, myogenin, myf5, and MRF4 are members of the basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) family of transcription factors and crucial agents of myogenesis...
- A histone deacetylase 4/myogenin positive feedback loop coordinates denervation-dependent gene induction and suppressionHuibin Tang
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mol Biol Cell 20:1120-31. 2009..Recently, it was reported that histone deacetylase 4 (HDAC4) can mediate denervation-induced myogenin and nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene expression...
- Increased exchange rate of histone H1 on chromatin by exogenous myogenin expressionMing Gong
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100083, China
Cell Res 12:395-400. 2002..involved in the regulation of transcriptional activation of specific genes by a myogenic regulatory factor Myogenin, we used NIH3T3 fibroblasts with a stably integrated H1...
- Repetitive stretch induces c-fos and myogenin mRNA within several hours in skeletal muscle removed from ratsSatoshi Ikeda
Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:419-23. 2003..To investigate what effect repetitive stretch has on gene transcription in muscle tissues removed from rats...
- Opposing functions of ATF2 and Fos-like transcription factors in c-Jun-mediated myogenin expression and terminal differentiation of avian myoblastsL Daury
, , Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA, 2 place Viala, 34060 Montpellier Cedex 1, France
Oncogene 20:7998-8008. 2001..In addition, myogenin expression was a positive target of this cooperation and this regulation occurred through a stimulation of ..
- The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors myogenin and Id2 mediate specific induction of caveolin-3 gene expression during embryonic developmentC H Biederer
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, Cancer Research Institute, San Francisco, California 94143 0128, USA
J Biol Chem 275:26245-51. 2000..Promoter analyses demonstrate that the proximal E box element serves as a myogenin binding site and is both necessary and sufficient to control caveolin-3 gene transcription...
- Thoracic skeletal defects in myogenin- and MRF4-deficient mice correlate with early defects in myotome and intercostal musculatureJ L Vivian
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Graduate Program in Genes and Development, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77050, USA
Dev Biol 224:29-41. 2000b>Myogenin and MRF4 are skeletal muscle-specific bHLH transcription factors critical for muscle development...
- Identification of MRF4: a new member of the muscle regulatory factor gene familyS J Rhodes
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
Genes Dev 3:2050-61. 1989..a rat cDNA encoding MRF4, a new member of the muscle regulatory factor gene family that includes MyoD1, myogenin, and Myf-5...
- Myogenin, a factor regulating myogenesis, has a domain homologous to MyoDW E Wright
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235
Cell 56:607-17. 1989..isolation, sequence, and initial characterization of the cDNA for the muscle-specific regulatory factor skeletal myogenin. Transfection of myogenin into the mesenchymal cell line C3H10T1/2 produces cells expressing muscle-specific ..
- Single-cell analysis of regulatory gene expression in quiescent and activated mouse skeletal muscle satellite cellsD D Cornelison
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Dev Biol 191:270-83. 1997..express either MyoD or myf5 first among the MRFs; most cells then expressed both myf-5 and MyoD simultaneously; myogenin came on later in cells expressing both MyoD and myf5; and many cells ultimately expressed all four MRFs ..
- Sodium arsenite represses the expression of myogenin in C2C12 mouse myoblast cells through histone modifications and altered expression of Ezh2, Glp, and Igf-1Gia Ming Hong
Environmental Toxicology Graduate Program, Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson University, 132 Long Hall, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 260:250-9. 2012..that 20 nM sodium arsenite exposure to C2C12 mouse myocyte cells delayed myoblast differentiation due to reduced myogenin expression, the transcription factor that differentiates myoblasts into myotubes...
- Myogenin (Myf4) upregulation in trans-differentiating fibroblasts from a congenital myopathy with arrest of myogenesis and defects of myotube formationClaudia Weise
Department of Molecular Embryology, Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Albertstrasse 17, 79104, Freiburg, Germany
Anat Embryol (Berl) 211:639-48. 2006..The abnormal upregulation of Myf4 and p21 in the patient who suffered from a severe congenital myopathy suggests that the regulation of Myf4 and p21 gene expression during myogenesis might be of interest for further studies...
- Sodium arsenite delays the differentiation of C2C12 mouse myoblast cells and alters methylation patterns on the transcription factor myogeninAmanda A Steffens
Environmental Toxicology Graduate Program, Clemson University, 132 Long Hall, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 250:154-61. 2011..arsenite, allowed to differentiate into myotubes, and expression of the muscle-specific transcription factor myogenin, along with the expression of tropomyosin, suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (Socs3), prostaglandin I2 synthesis ..
- p21(CIP1) and p57(KIP2) control muscle differentiation at the myogenin stepP Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 USA
Genes Dev 13:213-24. 1999..point of arrest during muscle development is identical to that of mice lacking the myogenic transcription factor myogenin, indicating a role for cell-cycle exit in myogenin function...
- Nitric oxide down-regulates caveolin-3 levels through the interaction with myogenin, its transcription factorMónica Martínez-Moreno
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040, Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 282:23044-54. 2007..in caveolin-3 levels are due to the alteration of the DNA binding activity of the muscular transcription factor myogenin. In the presence of *NO, the binding of transcription factors from cell nuclear extracts of muscular tissues to ..
- Prototypical anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 prevents loss of IGF-I-induced myogenin protein expression caused by IL-1betaKlemen Strle
Laboratory of Integrative Immunophysiology, Integrative Immunology and Behavior Program, Department of Animal Sciences, College of Agricultural, Consumer and Enviromental Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E709-18. 2008..role in nonhematopoietic cells by suppressing the ability of exogenous IL-1beta to inhibit IGF-I-induced myogenin and myosin heavy chain expression in myoblasts...
- Myostatin inhibits myoblast differentiation by down-regulating MyoD expressionBrett Langley
Animal Genomics, AgResearch, Private Bag 3123, East Street, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Biol Chem 277:49831-40. 2002..analysis indicated that addition of myostatin to the low serum culture media repressed the levels of MyoD, Myf5, myogenin, and p21 leading to the inhibition of myogenic differentiation...
- Influence of PDGF-BB on proliferation and transition through the MyoD-myogenin-MEF2A expression program during myogenesis in mouse C2 myoblastsZ Yablonka-Reuveni
Department of Biological Structure, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Growth Factors 15:1-27. 1997..We demonstrate that mononucleated C2 cells first express MyoD (MyoD+/myogenin- cells) and subsequently, myogenin...
- Rhabdomyosarcoma subtyping by immunohistochemical assessment of myogenin: tissue array study and review of the literatureD A Morgenstern
Unit of Molecular Haematology and Cancer Biology, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Pathol Oncol Res 14:233-8. 2008b>Myogenin immunostaining has been described as a useful marker of the alveolar subtype of rhabdomyosarcoma and as a tool for distinguishing it from the more common embryonal subtype...
- Absence of dysferlin alters myogenin expression and delays human muscle differentiation "in vitro"Noemi De Luna
Servei de Neurologia i Laboratori de Neurologia Experimental, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Biol Chem 281:17092-8. 2006..A luciferase reporter assay was performed to study myogenin activity in dysferlin-deficient cultures...
- Analysis of the DNA-binding properties of MyoD, myogenin, and E12 by fluorescence anisotropySoheila J Maleki
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham Street, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Biochemistry 41:10888-94. 2002MyoD and Myogenin are dominant myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs), which are involved in control of muscle-specific gene expression...
- Rhabdomyosarcoma of the urinary bladder in adults: predilection for alveolar morphology with anaplasia and significant morphologic overlap with small cell carcinomaGladell P Paner
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1022-8. 2008..All tumors showed immunohistochemical expression for desmin, myogenin, and/or MyoD1. Synaptophysin was performed in 4 cases, and 3 showed weak cytoplasmic immunoreactivity...
- Wild-type myoblasts rescue the ability of myogenin-null myoblasts to fuse in vivoA Myer
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Dev Biol 185:127-38. 1997..In mice lacking the bHLH transcription factor myogenin, myoblasts are specified and positioned correctly, but few fuse to form multinucleated fibers...
- Akt phosphorylation is not sufficient for insulin-like growth factor-stimulated myogenin expression but must be accompanied by down-regulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase phosphorylationNicki Tiffin
Department of Pediatrics, Box 0434, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0434, USA
Endocrinology 145:4991-6. 2004IGF-I has a unique biphasic effect on skeletal muscle differentiation. Initially, IGF-I inhibits expression of myogenin, a skeletal muscle-specific regulatory factor essential for myogenesis...
- Inhibition of myogenin expression by activated Raf is not responsible for the block to avian myogenesisSally E Johnson
Department of Poultry Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
J Biol Chem 277:28742-8. 2002..We examined the effects of activated Raf on myogenin gene expression in avian myoblasts...
- Opposing control of rhabdomyosarcoma growth and differentiation by myogenin and interleukin 4Patrizia Nanni
Section of Cancer Research, Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Mol Cancer Ther 8:754-61. 2009..Terminal myogenesis is controlled by cell-intrinsic myogenic transcription factors like myogenin and environmental mediators like interleukin 4 (IL-4)...
- Induced expression of myoD, myogenin and desmin during myoblast differentiation in embryonic mouse tongue developmentA Yamane
Department of Pharmacology, School of Dental Medicine, Tsurumi University, Yokohama, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 43:407-16. 1998..myogenesis in embryonic mouse tongue through the induction of myogenic regulatory factors such as myoD, myf5, myogenin and MRF4/myf6/herculin...
- CARM1 activates myogenin gene via PCAF in the early differentiation of TPA-induced rhabdomyosarcoma-derived cellsXin Gao
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
J Cell Biochem 110:162-70. 2010..Here, we show that CARM1 can be recruited to the promoter of myogenin gene to enhance its transcriptional activation via PCAF at the early stage of TPA-induced RD cell differentiation...
- Effect of genetic selection on MyoD and myogenin expression in turkeys with different growth ratesC Liu
Department of Animal Sciences, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
Poult Sci 84:376-84. 2005..development requires the ordered expression of specific myogenic regulatory factors, which include MyoD, Myf5, myogenin, and MRF4...
- Myogenin regulates exercise capacity and skeletal muscle metabolism in the adult mouseJesse M Flynn
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13535. 2010..The myogenic transcription factor myogenin is required for skeletal muscle development during embryonic and fetal life, but myogenin's role in adult ..
- Mammalian myotube dedifferentiation induced by newt regeneration extractC J McGann
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13699-704. 2001..The muscle differentiation proteins MyoD, myogenin, and troponin T were reduced to undetectable levels in 15-30% of treated murine myotubes...
- Analysis of the myogenin promoter reveals an indirect pathway for positive autoregulation mediated by the muscle-specific enhancer factor MEF-2D G Edmondson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
Mol Cell Biol 12:3665-77. 1992..b>Myogenin, along with other members of the MyoD gene family, possesses the apparent ability to redirect nonmuscle cells ..
- p38 Mitogen-activated protein kinase-, calcium-calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-, and calcineurin-mediated signaling pathways transcriptionally regulate myogenin expressionQing Xu
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Cell 13:1940-52. 2002In this report, we identify myogenin as an important transcriptional target under the control of three intracellular signaling pathways, namely, the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase- (MAPK), calcium-calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-..
- Mrf4 determines skeletal muscle identity in Myf5:Myod double-mutant miceLina Kassar-Duchossoy
Stem Cells and Development, Department of Developmental Biology, CNRS URA 2578, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 431:466-71. 2004..Gene targeting studies have revealed hierarchical relationships between these and the other MRF genes, Mrf4 and myogenin, where the latter are regarded as differentiation genes...
- Fine regulation of RhoA and Rock is required for skeletal muscle differentiationLoriana Castellani
Istituto di Biologia Cellulare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, 00016 Monterotondo Scalo RM, Italy
J Biol Chem 281:15249-57. 2006..Finally, we have reported that Rock acts independently from RhoA in preventing myoblast exit from the cell cycle and commitment to differentiation and may receive signaling inputs from Raf-1 kinase...
- Myostatin imposes reversible quiescence on embryonic muscle precursorsHelge Amthor
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, London, UK
Dev Dyn 235:672-80. 2006..We report that in contrast to the down-regulation in expression of Pax-3, Myf-5, MyoD, and Myogenin, expression of Pax-7 was maintained...
- MyoD recruits the cdk9/cyclin T2 complex on myogenic-genes regulatory regionsCristina Giacinti
Department of Biology, Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, College of Science and Technology Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122, USA
J Cell Physiol 206:807-13. 2006....
- Nerve activity-independent regulation of skeletal muscle atrophy: role of MyoD and myogenin in satellite cells and myonucleiJon Philippe K Hyatt
Department of Physiological Science, University of California Los Angeles, 621 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 285:C1161-73. 2003..A rapid increase in myogenin and, to a lesser extent, MyoD mRNAs and proteins was observed in denervated and SI muscles: at the later time ..
- DESMIN AND VIMENTIN DURING MYOGENESISYassemi Capetanaki; Fiscal Year: 1993..in replicating presumptive myoblasts proceeding the expression of the myogenic regulator myoD and possibly myogenin. Terminal differentiation of skeletal muscle is associated with down regulation of vimentin and up regulation of ..
- IGFS AND SKELETAL MUSCLE CELL DIFFERENTIATIONStephen Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2002..In this proposal we will examine the mechanisms by which IGF-I initially inhibits and subsequently stimulates myogenin gene transcription, and we will evaluate the potential role of the cdk4/cdk6 inhibitor p19 in mediating the ..
- TURNING SCAR INTO VIABLE MYOCARDIUMRace Kao; Fiscal Year: 2004..Proteins specific to cardiac or skeletal muscel (TnI, myosin, connexin 43, myogenin) will be used to indicate the phenotypes of regenerated muscle by identifying the specific mRNA (Northern blot, ..
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF MRF4 ACTIVITY DURING MYOGENESISSTEPHEN KONIECZNY; Fiscal Year: 1993..of the basic/helix-loop-helix (b/HLH) protein family that also includes the muscle regulatory factors MyoD, myogenin and Myf-5...
- MYOD AND MYOGENIN IN MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY AND SARCOPENIASTEPHEN ALWAY; Fiscal Year: 2001..The overall goal of this proposal is to determine the significant of MRF transcription factors MyoD and myogenin in satellite cells and myonuclei of aged muscle...
- The Role of RNA-Binding Proteins in MyogenesisLubov Timchenko; Fiscal Year: 2007..expression of CUGBP1 in skeletal muscle in vivo leads to an abnormal expression of myogenic regulators (p21, myogenin, MEF2) that is accompanied by significant loss of mouse weight and by underdevelopment...
- Innervation-Dependent TranscriptionSTEVEN BURDEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Myogenin is a good candidate for a transcriptional mediator of electrical activity-dependent transcription, as myogenin ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF MYOGENIC RESPONSE IN DEVELOPMENTM Siddiqui; Fiscal Year: 2003..regulation was brought by the discovery of the activator myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs), MyoD, myf-5, myogenin, MRF-4, it is now becoming clear that other mechanisms, wherein the myogenic regulation can be attributed to the ..
- PAX-3 AND THE REGULATION OF SOMITIC MYOGENESISANDREW LASSAR; Fiscal Year: 2000..Pax-3 (which is normally expressed in the dermomyotome) is sufficient to induce expression of MyoD, Myf-5 and myogenin in paraxial mesoderm in the absence of inducing tissues...
- REGULATION OF PURKINJE FIBER DEVELOPMENT IN THE HEARTTakashi Mikawa; Fiscal Year: 2005..first time that myocytes undergoing Purkinje fiber differentiation express at least two factors similar to myoD/myogenin members of the bHLH transcription factor gene family...
- INTERFERON ANIMAL VIRUSES AND PROTEIN SYNTHESISPeter Lengyel; Fiscal Year: 2005..The transcription factors affected by p202a include: AP2, E2F-1, E2F-4, MyoD, myogenin, NF-kB, c-Myc and p53. By binding UBF, p204 inhibits ribosomal RNA synthesis...