Genomes and Genes
Summary: Autoantibodies directed against phospholipids. These antibodies are characteristically found in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS, SYSTEMIC;), ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROME; related autoimmune diseases, some non-autoimmune diseases, and also in healthy individuals.
Publications269 found, 100 shown here
- International consensus statement on an update of the classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)S Miyakis
St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Thromb Haemost 4:295-306. 2006..had been addressed at a workshop in Sydney, Australia, before the Eleventh International Congress on antiphospholipid antibodies. In this document, we appraise the existing evidence on clinical and laboratory features of APS ..
- Behavioral and cognitive deficits occur only after prolonged exposure of mice to antiphospholipid antibodiesS Shrot
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Lupus 11:736-43. 2002..The mechanism involved in these CNS manifestations remains to be elucidated...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies induce a pro-inflammatory response in first trimester trophoblast via the TLR4/MyD88 pathwayMelissa J Mulla
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 62:96-111. 2009Women with antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) are at risk for recurrent miscarriage, pre-eclampsia, and pre-term labor...
- Urgent termination of pregnancy in pre-eclampsia and panel of antiphospholipid antibodiesLibor Hradecky
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Charles University and Faculty Hospital, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Am J Reprod Immunol 62:412-7. 2009....
- The role of TLR2 in the inflammatory activation of mouse fibroblasts by human antiphospholipid antibodiesNathalie Satta
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Blood 109:1507-14. 2007b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (APLAs) promote inflammatory and procoagulant responses in endothelial cells and monocytes. Previous studies have shown that MyD88, TRAF6, and NF-kappaB mediate cell activation by APLAs...
- Hughes syndrome crosses boundariesGuillermo Ruiz-Irastorza
Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Autoimmun Rev 1:43-8. 2002..to beta(2)-glycoprotein I, phospholipids other than cardiolipin or phospholipid mixtures), the role of antiphospholipid antibodies in neurological conditions such as demyelinating disease, cognitive impairment or migraine and the ..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in acute coronary syndromeK Veres
Intensive Care Unit, 3rd Department of Internal Medicine, University of Debrecen Medical Center, Debrecen, Hungary
Lupus 13:423-7. 2004..Finally, anti-beta2GPI antibodies in ACS were associated with previous stroke, but not with hypertension or previous myocardial infarction. Thus, anti-beta2GPI antibodies may be involved in the thrombotic events underlying ACS...
- Characterization of monocyte tissue factor activity induced by IgG antiphospholipid antibodies and inhibition by dilazepHong Zhou
Division of Rheumatology and Immunology, CB 7280, Rm 3330 Thurston Bldg, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7280, USA
Blood 104:2353-8. 2004..Pharmacologic agents that block monocyte TF activity may be a novel therapeutic approach in APS...
- Fluvastatin increases the expression of adhesion molecules, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and tissue factor in HUVEC stimulated by patient IgG fractions containing antiphospholipid antibodiesSylvie Dunoyer-Geindre
Unit of Haemostasis, University Hospital of Geneva, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland, E mail
Thromb Haemost 93:339-45. 2005The presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (APLA) is associated with an increased risk of recurrent thrombosis and pregnancy loss...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in patients with autoimmune blistering diseaseTakeshi Echigo
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Ishikawa 920 8641, Japan
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:397-400. 2007Our purpose was to determine the serum levels and frequency of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPLs) and confirm the clinical importance of these antibodies in patients with autoimmune blistering disease (ABD).
- Antiphospholipid antibodies affect human endometrial angiogenesisNicoletta Di Simone
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Biol Reprod 83:212-9. 2010b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) represent an important risk factor for thrombosis and recurrent miscarriage in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome (APS). The mechanisms of aPL-mediated pregnancy failure have been researched...
- The association of anti-parvovirus B19-VP1 unique region antibodies with antiphospholipid antibodies in patients with antiphospholipid syndromeDer Yuan Chen
Department of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Clin Chim Acta 411:1084-9. 2010..Human parvovirus B19 (B19) infection has been identified as a trigger of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS). However, the precise role of B19-VP1 unique region (VP1u) in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome remains unclear...
- Thrombus formation induced by antibodies to beta2-glycoprotein I is complement dependent and requires a priming factorFabio Fischetti
Department of Physiology and Pathology, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Blood 106:2340-6. 2005..In conclusion, our data indicate that antibodies to beta2-glycoprotein I trigger coagulation subsequent to a priming proinflammatory factor and that the terminal C complex is the main mediator of the coagulation process...
- European attempts for the standardisation of the antiphospholipid antibodiesA Tincani
Unit of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Spedali Civili, University of Brescia, Italy
Lupus 18:913-9. 2009..Sydney criteria, antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) diagnosis is closely related to the demonstration of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in patients sera...
- Brain MRI white matter lesions in migraine patients: is there a relationship with antiphospholipid antibodies and coagulation parameters?D Intiso
Department of Neurology and Rehabilitation, Scientific Institute, Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, S Giovanni Rotondo FG, Italy
Eur J Neurol 13:1364-9. 2006..b>Antiphospholipid antibodies are known to have a role in many diseases including migraine...
- Prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies, factor V G1691A (Leiden) and prothrombin G20210A mutations in early and late recurrent pregnancy lossNabil Mtiraoui
Research Unit of Haematological and Autoimmune Diseases, Faculty of Pharmacy, Monastir, Center University, Tunisia
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 119:164-70. 2005..We assessed the prevalence of inherited (FV-Leiden and PRT G20210A), and acquired (anti-PL antibodies) risk factors among habitual aborters in Tunisia...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and risk of myocardial infarction and ischaemic stroke in young women in the RATIO study: a case-control studyRolf T Urbanus
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Haematology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Lancet Neurol 8:998-1005. 2009..Although the presence of circulating antiphospholipid antibodies in individuals who have a thrombotic event is a prerequisite for the diagnosis of the antiphospholipid ..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and stroke in young womenRobin L Brey
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Tex 78229 3900, USA
Stroke 33:2396-400. 2002b>Antiphospholipid antibodies have been associated with ischemic stroke in some but not all studies.
- Antiphospholipid syndrome nephropathy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid antibodies: prevalence, clinical associations, and long-term outcomeMaria G Tektonidou
Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, National University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Arthritis Rheum 50:2569-79. 2004To evaluate the prevalence, clinical associations, and outcome of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) nephropathy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) and in SLE patients without aPL.
- Involvement of p38 MAPK in the up-regulation of tissue factor on endothelial cells by antiphospholipid antibodiesMariano Vega-Ostertag
Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:1545-54. 2005..mechanism involved in the up-regulation of tissue factor (TF) on endothelial cells (ECs) by antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL), we examined the effects of aPL on the transcription, expression, and function of TF, the ..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in pediatric and adult patients with rheumatic disease are associated with parvovirus B19 infectionPhilipp von Landenberg
Klinik and Poliklinik fur Innere Medizin I, Universitatsklinikum Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 48:1939-47. 2003To show a possible association between parvovirus B19 infection and the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in patients with rheumatic diseases.
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and the antiphospholipid syndrome: pathogenic mechanismsSilvia S Pierangeli
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1165, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 34:236-50. 2008b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (Abs) are associated with thrombosis and are a risk factor for recurrent pregnancy loss and obstetric complications in patients with the antiphospholipid syndrome...
- Thrombotic microangiopathic haemolytic anaemia and antiphospholipid antibodiesG Espinosa
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, Institut Clinic d Infeccions i Immunologia, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 63:730-6. 2004To analyse the clinical and laboratory features of patients with thrombotic microangiopathic haemolytic anaemia (TMHA) associated with antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL).
- Antiphospholipid antibodies: paradigm in transitionLawrence L Horstman
Department of Neurology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
J Neuroinflammation 6:3. 2009..We bring to attention recent evidence that aPL may be equally relevant to non-thrombotic autoimmune conditions, notably, multiple sclerosis and ITP...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and renal involvementAntonietta Gigante
Department of Nephrology, First Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita, 37 IT 00185 Rome, Italy
Am J Nephrol 30:405-12. 2009b>Antiphospholipid antibodies are a heterogeneous group of autoantibodies associated with the hypercoagulable state affecting all vascular districts with thrombosis named antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies may be a new prognostic parameter in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomaOsnat Bairey
Institute of Hematology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Eur J Haematol 76:384-91. 2006Patients with malignancies have an increased prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies (APA)...
- Viral infections and antiphospholipid antibodiesImad W Uthman
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Semin Arthritis Rheum 31:256-63. 2002..To study the relationship between viral infections and the induction of antiphospholipid (aPL) antibodies...
- Endothelial cell activation by antiphospholipid antibodiesP L Meroni
Allergy, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology Unit, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Clin Immunol 112:169-74. 2004b>Antiphospholipid antibodies are mainly directed against beta 2 glycoprotein I, a phospholipid-binding protein expressed on endothelial cell membranes of different anatomical localizations and recognized by the specific autoantibodies...
- Association of HLA-DM polymorphism with the production of antiphospholipid antibodiesM L Sanchez
Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London, SE1 7EH, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1645-8. 2004..whether variation in the HLA-DM gene is important in producing a group of pathogenic autoantibodies-antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL)-on the basis that HLA class II restricted antigen presentation is involved in the production of ..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies prevent extravillous trophoblast differentiationSiobhan Quenby
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Liverpool Women s Hospital, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 83:691-8. 2005We investigated the hypothesis that antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) have a detrimental effect on human extravillous trophoblast (EVT) differentiation into giant multinucleated cells "in vitro."
- Infant perinatal thrombosis and antiphospholipid antibodies: a reviewM C Boffa
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Jean Verdier, Assistance Publique, Hospitaux de Paris, Bondy, France
Lupus 16:634-41. 2007Perinatal thrombosis in infants born to mothers with antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) is a rare event, but with risk of death or severe sequelae...
- Microangiopathic antiphospholipid-associated syndromes revisited new concepts relating to antiphospholipid antibodies and syndromesRonald A Asherson
J Rheumatol 34:1793-5. 2007
- Antigenic profile, prevalence, and clinical significance of antiphospholipid antibodies in women referred for in vitro fertilizationM Sanmarco
Fédération Autoimmunité et Thrombose, Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1108:457-65. 2007The aim of this prospective study was to assess the prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in women who had undergone in vitro fertilization (IVF) and the relationship between aPL and IVF outcome...
- In vivo effects of an inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappa B on thrombogenic properties of antiphospholipid antibodiesG Montiel-Manzano
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1165, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1108:540-53. 2007..shown that endothelial cell (EC) activation and tissue factor (TF) upregulation in EC and monocytes by antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL Abs) leads to a prothrombotic state and involves translocation of nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-..
- Thrombogenicity of beta 2-glycoprotein I-dependent antiphospholipid antibodies in a photochemically induced thrombosis model in the hamsterMilosz Jankowski
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Blood 101:157-62. 2003..immune complex formation plays an important role in the genesis of arterial thrombosis by certain antiphospholipid antibodies. Cellular activation via the Fc portion of these immune complexes, however, is not essential, because F(..
- Severe valvular regurgitation and antiphospholipid antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus: a prospective, long-term, followup studyFelix Perez-Villa
Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 53:460-7. 2005To assess whether the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies is related to the incidence and progression of severe valvular dysfunction and the need for valve replacement in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Human antiphospholipid antibodies induce TNFalpha in monocytes via Toll-like receptor 8Yvonne Döring
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University, Langenbeckstr 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Immunobiology 215:230-41. 2010..is characterized by recurrent arterial and/or venous thromboses, pregnancy loss and the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL)...
- Antiphosphatidylethanolamine antibodies are associated with an increased odds ratio for thrombosis. A multicenter study with the participation of the European Forum on antiphospholipid antibodiesMarielle Sanmarco
Fédération Autoimmunité et Thrombose, Laboratoire d Immunologie, Hopital de la Conception, CHU 147, Bd Baille, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Thromb Haemost 97:949-54. 2007....
- Vascular endothelial growth factor, lipoporotein-associated phospholipase A2, sP-selectin and antiphospholipid antibodies, biological markers with prognostic value in pulmonary hypertension associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and systemiC Tanaseanu
Internal Medicine Department, Sf Pantelimon Emergency Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
Eur J Med Res 12:145-51. 2007..endothelial growth factor (VEGF), sP-selectin, lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 (PLA2-LDL), antiphospholipid antibodies (APLA) and their relation with PH, in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and chronic obstructive ..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and reproductive failureZ Ulcova-Gallova
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Medical School, Charles University, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Chem Immunol Allergy 88:139-49. 2005b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPLs) are characterized as heterogeneous and nonspecific autoantibodies directed against cardiolipin, ph-serine, ph-inositol, ph-acid, ph-glycerol, ph-choline, annexin V, and co-actor Beta2-glycoprotein I...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in primary Sjögren's syndrome: prevalence and clinical significance in a series of 74 patientsA L Fauchais
Department of Internal Medicine, Regional University Hospital of Lille, France
Lupus 13:245-8. 2004The aim of this study is to determine prevalence, clinical significance of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) including anticardiolipin antibodies (aCL), anti-beta2GP1 and lupus anticoagulant (LA) in a cohort of 74 patients with primary ..
- Prevalence rates of antiphospholipid antibodies in ischemic stroke patientsHirohisa Okuma
Department of Neurology, Tokai University Tokyo Hospital, 1 2 5 Yoyogi, Shibuya ku, Tokyo 151 0053, Japan
Intern Med 45:1017-8. 2006
- Antiphospholipid antibodies as cause of pregnancy lossP L Meroni
Allergy, Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology Unit, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Lupus 13:649-52. 2004b>Antiphospholipid antibodies detected by lupus anticoagulant, anticardiolipin or anti-beta2 glycoprotein I assays were associated with fetal loss...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies, thrombin and LPS activate brain endothelial cells and Ras-dependent pathways through distinct mechanismsRamona Aronovich
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978, Israel
Immunobiology 210:781-8. 2005..b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) activate endothelial cells but the specific activation of brain vascular endothelial cells (BVEC) ..
- Circulating levels of tissue factor and proinflammatory cytokines in patients with primary antiphospholipid syndrome or leprosy related antiphospholipid antibodiesR R Forastiero
Favaloro University, Favaloro Foundation, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lupus 14:129-36. 2005The antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) is characterized by the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in patients with thromboembolic complications...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and ischemic neuropathy following cardiac surgeryR Mazzoleni
Department of Neurology, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 103:176-8. 2003..We here describe a new case which is the first described with transient elevation of antiphospholipid antibodies. Although transient elevation of lupus coagulation inhibitor is known to occur frequently in patients ..
- A case of Churg-Strauss syndrome associated with antiphospholipid antibodiesKatalin Ferenczi
Department of Dermatology, Case University Hospitals of Cleveland, OH 44106 5028, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:701-4. 2007..We report an unusual case of a patient with CSS with antiphospholipid antibodies who developed severe digital gangrene in addition to cutaneous vasculitis...
- The interface of multiple sclerosis and antiphospholipid antibodiesJoab Chapman
Department of Neurology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Thromb Res 114:477-81. 2004..The main diagnostic feature of APS, the antiphospholipid antibodies (aPLAb), is relatively common in multiple sclerosis and increased fibrin deposition is a feature of ..
- Vasculitis, antiphospholipid antibodies, and renal artery stenosisS N Paul
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1800-2. 2005
- Neuropsychiatric lupus syndromes: relationship with antiphospholipid antibodiesAntonella Afeltra
University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Neurology 61:108-10. 2003..of Rheumatology standardized definitions for NPSLE, and evaluated the relationship between NPSLE and antiphospholipid antibodies. Sixty-one consecutive SLE patients were studied...
- Some recent insights into the prothrombogenic mechanisms of antiphospholipid antibodiesMaria Todorova
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Curr Med Chem 14:811-26. 2007b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) are a heterogeneous group of autoantibodies, detected in the sera of patients with both autoimmune and various non-autoimmune diseases...
- The HELLP syndrome, antiphospholipid antibodies, and syndromesRonald A Asherson
Clin Rheumatol 27:1-4. 2008
- The effect of platelet activation on the hypercoagulability induced by murine monoclonal antiphospholipid antibodiesAurelie Membre
Inserm U734, Nancy, France
Haematologica 93:566-73. 2008To identify the mechanisms of the hypercoagulability associated with antiphospholipid antibodies, we investigated antibody-mediated platelet activation and interference of antibodies with phospholipid-dependent reactions.
- Risk factors for thrombosis and primary thrombosis prevention in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus with or without antiphospholipid antibodiesMaria G Tektonidou
National University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Arthritis Rheum 61:29-36. 2009b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL), namely anticardiolipin antibodies (aCL) and lupus anticoagulant (LAC), have been associated with an increased risk of thrombosis in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Pregnancy outcome in recurrent spontaneous abortion associated with antiphospholipid antibodies: a comparative study of intravenous immunoglobulin versus prednisone plus low-dose aspirinE Vaquero
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Isola Tiberina, Italy
Am J Reprod Immunol 45:174-9. 2001..CONCLUSION: In patients with aPL syndrome, IVIG treatment improved pregnancy outcome, with significantly lower pregnancy complication rates, when compared with prednisone plus LDA therapy...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and the protein C pathwayN L Esmon
Cardiovascular Biology Research Program, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
J Autoimmun 15:221-5. 2000Among the mechanisms suggested for the prothrombotic activity of lupus anticoagulant and antiphospholipid antibodies is the direct inhibition of the anticoagulant activated protein C (APC) pathway...
- A critical assessment of the role of antiphospholipid antibodies in infertilityK L Buckingham
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
J Reprod Immunol 80:132-45. 2009b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) are a family of autoantibodies that are associated with pregnancy complications including stillbirth and recurrent miscarriage...
- Role of tissue factor in a mouse model of thrombotic microangiopathy induced by antiphospholipid antibodiesSurya V Seshan
Department of Pathology, Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, USA
Blood 114:1675-83. 2009..Treatment with pravastatin, which down-regulates glomerular TF synthesis, prevents aPL-induced TMA in this mouse model, thus emphasizing that targeting TF might be a good therapeutic intervention in patients with TMA...
- Antiphospholipid syndrome, antiphospholipid antibodies, and atherosclerosisY Sherer
Department of Medicine 'B, Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer 52621, Israel
Curr Atheroscler Rep 3:328-33. 2001..arterial and venous thrombosis, as well as pregnancy morbidity, in the presence of elevated levels of antiphospholipid antibodies. These autoantibodies have procoagulant activity, as they affect platelets, humoral coagulation factors,..
- Analysis of prothrombotic effects of two human monoclonal IgG antiphospholipid antibodies of apparently similar specificityK J Lackner
Institute for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Regensburg, Germany
Thromb Haemost 83:583-8. 2000Two human monoclonal antiphospholipid antibodies (APA) of the IgG type, HL-5B and RR-7F have been generated from a patient with primary antiphospholipid syndrome and recurrent cerebral microemboli (H.L...
- Prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies among women experiencing unexplained infertility and recurrent implantation failureRuben Sauer
National Institute of Perinatology, Mexico City, Mexico
Fertil Steril 93:2441-3. 2010The prevalences of antiphospholipid antibodies (APAs) among 1,325 women with a history of unexplained infertility and 676 women experiencing recurrent implantation failure were compared with 789 women experiencing recurrent pregnancy ..
- Molecular pathogenesis of the antiphospholipid syndromeJacob H Rand
Thrombosis and Hemostasis Section, Hematology Division, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Circ Res 90:29-37. 2002..This review focuses on some of the major mechanisms that have been proposed to explain this disorder...
- Paediatric systemic lupus erythematosus: prognostic impact of antiphospholipid antibodiesE Descloux
Service de Medecine Interne, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud 69 495, Pierre Benite Cedex, France
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:183-7. 2008..The aim of our study was to investigate the prognostic impact of aPL in paediatric onset systemic lupus erythematosus (p-SLE)...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies limit trophoblast migration by reducing IL-6 production and STAT3 activityMelissa J Mulla
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 63:339-48. 2010Women with antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) are at risk of recurrent miscarriage and pre-eclampsia. aPL target the placenta by binding to beta(2)-glycoprotein I (beta(2) GPI) expressed by the trophoblast...
- The association of antiphospholipid antibodies with pregnancy-related first time venous thrombosis--a population-based case-control studyA Bergrem
Department of Hematology Oslo University Hospital Ullevål, Oslo, Norway
Thromb Res 125:e222-7. 2010In this population-based case-control study we explored the association of antiphospholipid antibodies with pregnancy-related venous thrombosis...
- Hydroxychloroquine protects the annexin A5 anticoagulant shield from disruption by antiphospholipid antibodies: evidence for a novel effect for an old antimalarial drugJacob H Rand
Department of Pathology, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Blood 115:2292-9. 2010..b>Antiphospholipid antibodies disrupt AnxA5 binding, thereby accelerating coagulation reactions...
- Pulmonary hypertension, antiphospholipid antibodies, and syndromesRonald A Asherson
Division of Immunology, School of Pathology, University of the Witwatersrand and the Rosebank Clinic, Johannesburg, 2000, South Africa
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 32:153-8. 2007b>Antiphospholipid antibodies have been associated with two types of pulmonary hypertension (PHT), the thromboembolic type, after deep venous thromboses in the lower limbs complicated by pulmonary embolism and the "primary" plexogenic type...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in lymphoma: prevalence and clinical significanceSimona Pusterla
Divisione di Ematologia, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Hematol J 5:341-6. 2004To evaluate whether the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies in lymphoma patients influences their response to treatment, and their rate of thromboembolic complications, we followed up 100 consecutive patients with different lymphomas,..
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and subsequent thrombo-occlusive events in patients with ischemic strokeSteven R Levine
Department of Neurology, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
JAMA 291:576-84. 2004The presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) has been associated with vascular occlusive events. However, the role of aPL in predicting ischemic events, particularly recurrent ischemic stroke, is controversial.
- Transverse myelitis as the first manifestation of systemic lupus erythematosus or lupus-like disease: good functional outcome and relevance of antiphospholipid antibodiesDavid P D'Cruz
Louise Coote Lupus Unit, St Thomas Hospital, London Rivermead Rehabilitation Centre, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Rheumatol 31:280-5. 2004..Although usually a late manifestation of SLE, it can occur at presentation. We investigated the clinical presentation, treatment and outcome of 15 patients with TM as the presenting manifestation of SLE or lupus-like disease...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and the protein C pathwayR T Urbanus
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Haematology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Lupus 19:394-9. 2010..is an example in which this balance is shifted to a more prothrombotic state due to the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies. One of the most extensively proposed pathogenic mechanisms within the antiphospholipid syndrome is the ..
- Diabetic thigh muscle infarction in association with antiphospholipid antibodiesG W Palmer
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 30:272-80. 2001..CONCLUSIONS/RELEVANCE: aPL antibodies may be involved in the pathogenesis of diabetic muscle infarction and could serve as an important target of therapeutic intervention, namely with anticoagulation...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies increase the risk of pregnancy-induced hypertension and adverse pregnancy outcomesHideto Yamada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita ku N15 W7, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
J Reprod Immunol 79:188-95. 2009..7-66.7) or IgG aPE plus LA (22.2, 5.4-909) measurements predicted severe PIH with 30.8% sensitivity and 99.2% specificity. We conclude that aPL measurements during early pregnancy may be useful in predicting adverse pregnancy outcome...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and multiple organ failure in critically ill cancer patientsJorge I F Salluh
Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Hospital de Câncer I, Instituto Nacional de Cancer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:79-82. 2009..To describe the clinical outcomes and thrombotic events in a series of critically ill cancer patients positive for antiphospholipid (aPL) antibodies...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in young adults with strokeRobin L Brey
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78284 7883, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 20:105-12. 2005b>Antiphospholipid antibodies have been associated with a clinical syndrome consisting thrombosis and recurrent, unexplained fetal loss.
- Antiphospholipid antibodies predict early damage in patients with systemic lupus erythematosusG Ruiz-Irastorza
Service and Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital de Cruces, Universidad del Pais Vasco Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, Bizkaia, The Basque Country, Spain
Lupus 13:900-5. 2004..11-10.03) and increasing damage since diagnosis (OR 2.46, 95% CI 1.24-4.87). No autoantibody was a predictor of the outcome 'SDI > or = 1 or death at five years'. The conclusion was that aPL predict early damage in patients with SLE...
- Different types of antiphospholipid antibodies in AIDS: a comparison with syphilis and the antiphospholipid syndromeG F de Larrañaga
Hospital of Infectious Diseases F J Muñiz, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thromb Res 96:19-25. 1999Alloimmune antiphospholipid antibodies react with phospholipids and are an epiphenomenon of an infectious disease...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies: are they pro-atherogenic or an epiphenomenon of atherosclerosis?Yaniv Sherer
Department of Medicine B and Center of Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Immunobiology 207:13-6. 2003b>Antiphospholipid antibodies are the hallmark of the antiphospholipid syndrome which is characterized by thrombosis. There are currently data supporting an association between these autoantibodies and atherosclerosis as well...
- The presence of infection-related antiphospholipid antibodies in infective endocarditis determines a major risk factor for embolic eventsL I Kupferwasser
II Medical Clinic, Mainz University, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 33:1365-71. 1999The impact of infection-associated antiphospholipid antibodies (APA) on endothelial cell activation, blood coagulation and fibrinolysis was evaluated in patients with infective endocarditis with and without major embolic events.
- Prophylactic antithrombotic therapy for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus with or without antiphospholipid antibodies: do the benefits outweigh the risks? A decision analysisD G Wahl
Service de Médecine H, Hopital Central, CO 34, 29, avenue de Lattre de Tassigny, F54035 Nancy, France
Arch Intern Med 160:2042-8. 2000..We measured the clinical benefit of 3 antithrombotic regimens in patients with SLE without antiphospholipid antibodies, with anticardiolipin antibodies, or with lupus anticoagulant.
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in response to infectionTadej Avcin
Department of Allergology, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Ljubljana, Vrazov trg 1, SI 1525 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Curr Rheumatol Rep 9:212-8. 2007An association between infections and antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) has been reported in several epidemiologic and experimental studies...
- Mechanisms of disease: antiphospholipid antibodies-from clinical association to pathologic mechanismBas de Laat
Department of Plasma Proteins Blood coagulation at Sanquin Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 4:192-9. 2008The discovery that antiphospholipid antibodies recognize plasma proteins that bind to phospholipids rather than recognizing phospholipids themselves has been a major advance in research into antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies associated with alcoholic liver disease specifically recognise oxidised phospholipidsR Rolla
Department of Medical Sciences and Medical Clinic, University Amedeo Avodagro of East Piedmont, Via Solaroli 17, 28100, Novara, Italy
Gut 49:852-9. 2001BACKGROUND: Circulating antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) are often detected in patients with alcoholic liver disease (ALD) but little is known about the causes of their formation...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and atherosclerosis: insights from systemic lupus erythematosus and primary antiphospholipid syndromePaul R J Ames
Department of Haematology, Royal Preston Hospital, Preston, UK
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 37:29-35. 2009..lupus erythematosus (SLE) nand primary APS in the attempt to unravel a possible association between antiphospholipid antibodies and premature atherosclerosis...
- Clinical thrombotic manifestations in SLE patients with and without antiphospholipid antibodies: a 5-year follow-upTunde Tarr
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Medical and Health Science Centre, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 32:131-7. 2007To analyze the association of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) with the development of clinical thrombotic manifestations and to characterize the efficacy of anti-thrombotic therapies used.
- Excessive complement activation is associated with placental injury in patients with antiphospholipid antibodiesJaime M Shamonki
Department of Pathology, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:167.e1-5. 2007..a critical role for complement activation that leads to fetal and placental injury in the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (APAs)...
- Complement activation: a novel pathogenic mechanism in the antiphospholipid syndromeSilvia S Pierangeli
Department of Microbiology, Biochemistry and Immunology, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30310 1495, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1051:413-20. 2005b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPLs) have been shown to induce thrombosis, activate endothelial cells, and induce fetal loss...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in immune thrombocytopenic purpura tend to emerge in exacerbation and decline in remissionCarlos J Bidot
Wallace H Coulter Platelet Laboratory, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Br J Haematol 128:366-72. 2005Although the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (APLA) in immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) has been reported, their clinical significance is not clear...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and the endotheliumP L Meroni
Allergy and Clinical Immunology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Milan, Italy
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 27:587-602. 2001..The heterogeneity of the APS clinical manifestations is likely linked to the varied effects that aPL can induce on ECs and to the different functions that ECs display depending on the anatomic localization...
- Requirement of activation of complement C3 and C5 for antiphospholipid antibody-mediated thrombophiliaSilvia S Pierangeli
Department of Microbiology, Biochemistry and Immunology, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30310 1495, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:2120-4. 2005b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) have been shown to induce thrombosis, activate endothelial cells, and induce fetal loss...
- Human monoclonal antiphospholipid antibodies disrupt the annexin A5 anticoagulant crystal shield on phospholipid bilayers: evidence from atomic force microscopy and functional assayJacob H Rand
Department of Pathology, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Moses Division Campus, Core Laboratory Office, North 8, 110 East 210th Street, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Am J Pathol 163:1193-200. 2003..The aPL antibody-mediated disruption of the annexin A5 anticoagulant shield may be an important prothrombotic mechanism in the aPL syndrome...
- Epidemiology of the antiphospholipid antibody syndromeM Petri
Division of Rheumatology, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Autoimmun 15:145-51. 2000The prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies in normals and SLE patients is reviewed...
- IgA antiphospholipid antibodies are an independent risk factor for thrombosesY M Shen
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9073, USA
Lupus 17:996-1003. 2008b>Antiphospholipid antibodies (lupus anticoagulant, anti-cardiolipin and anti-beta(2)-glycoprotein I antibodies, mostly IgG isotype) are strong risk factors for thrombosis...
- New facet of antiphospholipid antibodiesGuido Valesini
Dipartimento di Clinica e Terapia Medica Applicata, Cattedra di Reumatologia, Universita La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1051:487-97. 2005..Finally, increasing evidence suggests that oxidative stress could be a pathogenic link between aPL and thrombosis, and antioxidant treatment may have some efficacy in preventing the clinical manifestations of this syndrome...
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in young Indian patients with strokeM N Mishra
Department of Pathology, Command Hospital, Southern Command, Pune, India
J Postgrad Med 55:161-4. 2009Stroke may be caused by antiphospholipid antibodies (APL), especially in young persons without other risk factors.
- Oxidation of beta2-glycoprotein I (beta2GPI) by the hydroxyl radical alters phospholipid binding and modulates recognition by anti-beta2GPI autoantibodiesJ Arvieux
Laboratoire d Immunologie, Institut de Synergie des Sciences et de la Sante, CHU Brest, France
Thromb Haemost 86:1070-6. 2001..These findings may be of clinical relevance for the generation and/or reactivity of anti-beta2GPI antibodies...
- Enhancement of protein S anticoagulant function by beta2-glycoprotein I, a major target antigen of antiphospholipid antibodies: beta2-glycoprotein I interferes with binding of protein S to its plasma inhibitor, C4b-binding proteinJ T Merrill
Division of Rheumatology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 10019, USA
Thromb Haemost 81:748-57. 1999..We sought evidence that beta2-glycoprotein I, a major target antigen for antiphospholipid antibodies, is involved in regulation of protein S activity...
- Anti-annexin II antibodies in systemic autoimmune diseases and antiphospholipid syndromeV Salle
Department of Internal Medicine, Amiens University Hospital, 80054 Amiens Cedex 1, France
J Clin Immunol 28:291-7. 2008....
- Antiphospholipid antibodies from antiphospholipid syndrome patients activate endothelial cells in vitro and in vivoS S Pierangeli
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Antiphospholipid Standardization Laboratory, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310 1495, USA
Circulation 99:1997-2002. 1999..Adhesion molecule expression on human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) after aPL exposure was performed to confirm EC activation in vitro...
- Anti-CD40 antibodies in antiphospholipid syndrome and systemic lupus erythematosusPanayiotis G Vlachoyiannopoulos
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical School, National University of Athens, 75, Mikras Asias St 11527, Athens, Greece
Thromb Haemost 92:1303-11. 2004..Thus, antibodies reacting with the beta2GPI can react and potentially activate different cells which express CD40 molecules at their surface...
- Complement C3 activation is required for antiphospholipid antibody-induced fetal lossV Michael Holers
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Exp Med 195:211-20. 2002..While antigenic epitopes recognized by aPL antibodies are important in the pathogenesis of APS, our data show that in vivo complement activation is required for aPL antibody-induced fetal loss and growth retardation...
- Stroke and aPL: Community-Based Clinicopathological StudySTEVEN RICHARD LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2010We propose to investigate the role and mechanisms of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in the development of pathologically-proven ischemic brain infarction...
- Stroke and aPL: Community-Based Clinicopathological StudySteven Levine; Fiscal Year: 2009We propose to investigate the role and mechanisms of antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) in the development of pathologically-proven ischemic brain infarction...
- Libman-Sacks Endocarditis and NPSLECarlos Roldan; Fiscal Year: 2007..5) neuropsychiatric testing; 6) assessment of coagulation and platelet activation by measurement of antiphospholipid antibodies, prothrombin fragments 1...
- Libman-Sacks Endocarditis and NPSLECarlos Roldan; Fiscal Year: 2009..5) neuropsychiatric testing; 6) assessment of coagulation and platelet activation by measurement of antiphospholipid antibodies, prothrombin fragments 1...
- Surrogate markers for Severe Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..the third aim will test if patients with PE complicated by an adverse outcome are more likely to have antiphospholipid antibodies, or factor V Leiden G1691A, prothrombin G20210A, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T mutations, ..
- THERAPY WITH ANNEXINS FOR ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROMEMARIA BEGONA CAMPOS NACIFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..by venous and arterial thrombosis, recurrent fetal loss, thrombocytopenia and by the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies. Recurrent pregnancy loss is produced also in APS patients due to thrombosis in the placental ..
- PREPROSTAGLANDIN ENDOPEROXIDESRobert Salomon; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID ANTIBODY SYNDROMESThomas Ortel; Fiscal Year: 2003b>Antiphospholipid antibodies are a heterogenous family of antibodies associated with an increased risk for venous and arterial thrombosis, recurrent fetal loss, and thrombocytopenia...
- ANTICARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODIES AND OXIDIZED PHOSPHOLIPIDSJoseph Witztum; Fiscal Year: 2000..Patients with increased antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) have increased risk of stroke and of myocardial infarction...
- ANTICARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODIES AND OXIDIZED PHOSPHOLIPIDSJoseph Witztum; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. aggressive anti-inflammatory and/or antioxidant interventions). ..
- Antiphospholipid Antibody HeterogeneityNeal Rote; Fiscal Year: 2007The Antiphospholipid Syndrome is characterized by naturally occurring antiphospholipid antibodies and increased risk of pregnancy loss or a variety of obstetric complications...
- Genetics of Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) defined by thrombocytopeniaR Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, Specific Aim 4 will assemble a new cohort of families multiplex for SLE so that linkages and associations as well as particular polvmorphisms can be prospectively confirmed. ..
- Antiphospholipids and vascular inflammation in aggressive periodontitisHARVEY ALLEN SCHENKEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have noted that patients with periodontitis have elevated serum levels of antiphospholipid antibodies. Such antibodies, including beta 2 glycoprotein 1-dependant anti-cardiolipin (anti-CL) are present in ..
- Characterization of a new mouse model of autoimmune cardiac valve diseaseBryce Binstadt; Fiscal Year: 2007....