- Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases: molecular regulation to clinical use
Andrew T Bender
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington Medical School, Health Sciences Building, Box 357280, Seattle, WA 98195 7280, USA
Pharmacol Rev 58:488-520. 2006
..PDEs hold great promise as drug targets and recent research advances make this an exciting time for the field of PDE research...
- CNG and HCN channels: two peas, one pod
Kimberley B Craven
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Annu Rev Physiol 68:375-401. 2006
..By opening in response to intracellular cyclic nucleotides, they translate changes in concentrations of signaling molecules to changes in membrane potential...
- Role of cyclic nucleotides in vasodilations of the rat thoracic aorta induced by adenosine analogues
S M Hourani
School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH
Br J Pharmacol 133:833-40. 2001
..The role of cyclic nucleotides in these relaxations was investigated in isolated aortic rings using inhibitors of adenylate and guanylate ..
- Compartmentation of cyclic nucleotide signaling in the heart: the role of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases
INSERM U769, Universite Paris Sud 11, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5, rue J B Clement, F 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex, France
Circ Res 99:816-28. 2006
..This obviously applies to cAMP and cGMP signaling in the heart, where these cyclic nucleotides determine the regulation of cardiac function by many hormones and neuromediators...
- Allosteric activation and tuning of ligand efficacy in cyclic-nucleotide-gated channels
G R Tibbs
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 386:612-5. 1997
..The allosteric transition provides an important mechanism for tuning the physiological response of ligand-binding proteins, such as cyclic-nucleotide-gated channels, to different biological signals...
- Potassium currents expressed from Drosophila and mouse eag cDNAs in Xenopus oocytes
G A Robertson
Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School 53706, USA
Neuropharmacology 35:841-50. 1996
..These studies should facilitate identification of currents mediated by Eag and M-EAG channels in vivo...
- Patch cramming reveals the mechanism of long-term suppression of cyclic nucleotides in intact neurons
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
J Neurosci 22:8819-26. 2002
..Because the molecular machinery underlying LTS is common to many cells, LTS may be a widespread mechanism for long-term silencing of cyclic nucleotide signaling...
- Novel thienylacylhydrazone derivatives inhibit platelet aggregation through cyclic nucleotides modulation and thromboxane A2 synthesis inhibition
Fernanda C F Brito
Laboratório de Avaliação e Síntese de Substâncias Bioativas LASSBio, Departamento de Fármacos, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Centro de Ciencias da Saude CCS, P O Box 68006, Ilha do Fundao, 21941 902, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 638:5-12. 2010
..The effects on the production of cyclic nucleotides and thromboxane A(2) (TXA(2)) in human platelets were also investigated...
- Cyclic nucleotides and mitogen-activated protein kinases: regulation of simvastatin in platelet activation
Ye Ming Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 17:45. 2010
..Although the inhibitory effect of simvastatin in platelet activation has been studied; the detailed signal transductions by which simvastatin inhibit platelet activation has not yet been completely resolved...
- Role of cyclic nucleotides in the control of hepatic autophagy
Department of Tissue Culture, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo
Biomed Biochim Acta 50:389-92. 1991
Using isolated hepatocytes as a model system we have investigated whether the cyclic nucleotides cAMP and cGMP are involved in the regulation of the autophagic process...
- Cytokines increase neonatal cardiac myocyte calcium concentrations: the involvement of nitric oxide and cyclic nucleotides
R J Bick
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston 77030, USA
J Interferon Cytokine Res 19:645-53. 1999
..It is also apparent that the two NO inhibitors function via different mechanisms or that LNMMA has a direct effect on the calcium-signaling pathway...
- Regulation of cyclic nucleotides in the urinary tract
Marcia A Wheeler
The Department of Surgery, Section of Urology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8041, USA
J Smooth Muscle Res 41:1-21. 2005
..By exploitation of differences in PDE expression in disease, such as the overexpression of PDEs in cancer, treatment options may present themselves...
- Regulation of VASP phosphorylation in cardiac myocytes: differential regulation by cyclic nucleotides and modulation of protein expression in diabetic and hypertrophic heart
Juliano L Sartoretto
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H1697-710. 2009
..findings establish differential receptor-modulated regulation of VASP phosphorylation in cardiomyocytes by cyclic nucleotides. Furthermore, these studies demonstrate for the first time that VASP expression is upregulated in ..
- Specific cGMP binding by the cGMP binding domains of cGMP-binding cGMP specific phosphodiesterase
Cell Pathways, Inc, 702 Electronic Drive, Horsham, PA 19044, USA
Cell Signal 14:45-51. 2002
..These results establish that recombinant fusion proteins of PDE5 domains may be used to further characterize the structure of PDE5...
- Nitric oxide and cyclic nucleotides: their roles in junction dynamics and spermatogenesis
Nikki P Y Lee
Department of Medicine and Surgery, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Adv Exp Med Biol 636:172-85. 2008
..Thus, NOS/NO bears an irreplaceable role in maintaining the homeostasis of the microenvironment in the seminiferous epithelium via its different downstream signaling pathways...
- Effect of sildenafil on reperfusion function, infarct size, and cyclic nucleotide levels in the isolated rat heart model
Eugene Francois du Toit
Department of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Health Science, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, South Africa
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 19:23-31. 2005
..The phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE 5) inhibitor, sildenafil could potentially increase myocardial cGMP levels and thus protect the heart against ischaemic/reperfusion injury...
- The murine HCN3 gene encodes a hyperpolarization-activated cation channel with slow kinetics and unique response to cyclic nucleotides
Department of Pharmazie, Pharmakologie für Naturwissenschaften, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Butenandtstr 7, 81377 Munchen, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:27056-61. 2005
..5) to more hyperpolarized potentials. A negative shift of V0.5 induced by cyclic nucleotides is an unprecedented feature within the HCN channel family...
- Bioactivatable, membrane-permeant analogs of cyclic nucleotides as biological tools for growth control of C6 glioma cells
Zentrum für Umwellforschung und Umwelttechnologie UFT, Abt Bioorganische Chemie, Universitat Bremen, Leobener Strasse, D 28359 Bremen, Germany
Biol Chem 384:1321-6. 2003
..Chromatographic analysis revealed that the AM-ester analogs of the cyclic nucleotides penetrate quantitatively into rat C6 glioma cells and generate high amounts of their parent cyclic ..
- Cross talk between cyclic nucleotides and polyphosphoinositide hydrolysis, protein kinases, and contraction in smooth muscle
A A Abdel-Latif
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 226:153-63. 2001
..examines further evidence, both from nonvascular and vascular smooth muscle, for cross talk between the cyclic nucleotides, cAMP and cGMP via their respective protein kinases, and the Ca2+-dependent- and Ca2+-independent-signaling ..
- The role of cyclic nucleotides in axon guidance
Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, UK
Adv Exp Med Biol 621:134-43. 2007
..will review some of the work that has addressed these fundamental questions, with a specific focus on the role of the cyclic nucleotides, cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), in axon guidance.
- Nitric oxide and cyclic nucleotides are regulators of neuronal migration in an insect embryo
School of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Cell Biology, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
Development 130:3977-87. 2003
..These findings reveal an accessible invertebrate model in which the role of the NO and cyclic nucleotide signalling in neuronal migration can be analyzed in a natural setting...
- The multidrug resistance protein 5 functions as an ATP-dependent export pump for cyclic nucleotides
Division of Tumor Biochemistry, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 275:30069-74. 2000
Cellular export of cyclic nucleotides has been observed in various tissues and may represent an elimination pathway for these signaling molecules, in addition to degradation by phosphodiesterases...
- Modulation of the hyperpolarization-activated current (Ih) by cyclic nucleotides in guinea-pig primary afferent neurons
S L Ingram
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
J Physiol 492:97-106. 1996
..6. These results indicate that Ih is regulated by cyclic nucleotides in sensory neurons...
- Cyclic nucleotide binding proteins in the Arabidopsis thaliana and Oryza sativa genomes
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4 Canada
BMC Bioinformatics 6:6. 2005
b>Cyclic nucleotides are ubiquitous intracellular messengers. Until recently, the roles of cyclic nucleotides in plant cells have proven difficult to uncover...
- Effects of cyclic nucleotides, calcium ionophore, and phorbol ester on vitellogenin mRNA levels in incubated ovarian fragments of the kuruma prawn Marsupenaeus japonicus
National Research Institute of Aquaculture, Fisheries Research Agency, Minami Ise, Mie 516 0193, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 148:245-51. 2006
..This result suggests that cyclic nucleotides, Ca2+, and protein kinase C are involved in the signalling pathways for the regulation of VTG mRNA levels in ..
- GAF domains: two-billion-year-old molecular switches that bind cyclic nucleotides
Sergio E Martinez
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7280, USA
Mol Interv 2:317-23. 2002
..Because of their unique ligand-binding topologies, the GAF domains of PDEs are likely to offer good new targets for rational drug design...
- CNGCs: prime targets of plant cyclic nucleotide signalling?
Ina N Talke
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Am Muhlenberg 1, D 14476 Golm, Germany
Trends Plant Sci 8:286-93. 2003
..Heterologously expressed plant CNGCs show activation by cyclic nucleotides and permeability to monovalent and divalent cations...
- Regulation of renal ouabain-resistant Na+-ATPase by leptin, nitric oxide, reactive oxygen species, and cyclic nucleotides: implications for obesity-associated hypertension
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University, Lublin, Poland
Clin Exp Hypertens 29:189-207. 2007
..Chronic hyperleptinemia is associated with increased Na(+)-ATPase activity due to excessive oxidative stress...
- Platelet resistance to the antiaggregatory cyclic nucleotides in central obesity involves reduced phosphorylation of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein
Diabetes Unit, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences of University of Turin, San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, Orbassano Turin, Italy
Clin Chem 53:1053-60. 2007
..In this study we evaluated whether this impairment involves the antiaggregatory pathways regulated by cAMP and cGMP...
- Comparison between the effects of the rapid recombinant insulin analog aspart and those of human regular insulin on platelet cyclic nucleotides and aggregation
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Turin, San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, 10043 Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Thromb Res 107:31-7. 2002
..RESULTS: (i). Human regular insulin and insulin aspart increased both cyclic nucleotides; (ii)...
- Fluorescence spectroscopic quantification of the release of cyclic nucleotides from photocleavable [bis(carboxymethoxy)coumarin-4-yl]methyl esters inside cells
Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie Robert Rössle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 41:3625-8, 3516. 2002
- The role of cyclic nucleotides and calcium in the relaxation produced by amrinone in rat aorta
A van der Zypp
Department of Medical Laboratory Science, RMIT University, PO Box 71, Bundoora, Victoria 3083, Australia
Gen Pharmacol 34:245-53. 2000
- GAF domains: cyclic nucleotides come full circle
James H Hurley
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0580, USA
Sci STKE 2003:PE1. 2003
b>Cyclic nucleotides are ubiquitous signaling molecules that are present in life forms ranging from bacteria to yeast to humans...
- Cyclic nucleotides inhibit MAP kinase activity in low-dose collagen-stimulated platelets
Elke C G Jackson
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, 780 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 0W2
Thromb Res 125:147-51. 2010
..b>Cyclic nucleotides are conventionally regarded as mediators of platelet inhibition...
- Cyclic nucleotides
Russell P Newton
Biochemistry Group, School of Biological Sciences, Wallace Building, University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Phytochemistry 65:2423-37. 2004
The natural occurrence of cyclic nucleotides in higher plants, formerly a topic of fierce debate, is now established, as is the presence of nucleotidyl cyclases and cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases capable of their synthesis and ..
- Cyclic nucleotides and neuroblastoma differentiation
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 23:1551-4. 2004
..No appreciable effect was observed using Dipyridamole, another specific PDE5 inhibitor...
- Expression and localization of the multidrug resistance protein 5 (MRP5/ABCC5), a cellular export pump for cyclic nucleotides, in human heart
Department of Pharmacology, Peter Holtz Research Center of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Am J Pathol 163:1567-77. 2003
The multidrug resistance protein 5 (MRP5/ABCC5) has been recently identified as cellular export pump for cyclic nucleotides with 3',5'-cyclic GMP (cGMP) as a high-affinity substrate...
- Cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 19:23-44. 2003
..that open an ion-permeable pore across the membrane in response to the direct binding of intracellular cyclic nucleotides. CNG channels have been identified in a number of other tissues, including the brain, where their roles are ..
- Calmodulin regulation of cyclic-nucleotide-gated channels
R S Molday
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2146 Health Sciences Mall, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Curr Opin Neurobiol 6:445-52. 1996
..has been shown to bind directly to the rod and olfactory channels and to modulate their sensitivity to cyclic nucleotides. This Ca2+-dependent regulation of channel activity appears to play a role in the termination of the signal-..
- Maturation alters cyclic nucleotide and relaxation responses to nitric oxide donors in ovine cerebral arteries
Surya M Nauli
Division of Perinatal Biology, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, Calif 92350, USA
Biol Neonate 83:123-35. 2003
..Together, these findings emphasize that the cerebrovascular effects of NO are highly age dependent and artery specific, and should be carefully considered when administering NO therapeutically in the neonate...
- Cyclic nucleotide kinases and tachyzoite-bradyzoite transition in Toxoplasma gondii
Michael S Eaton
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Int J Parasitol 36:107-14. 2006
..The beta-GAL/CAT reporter parasite provides a method to quantify and compare agents that cause differentiation in T. gondii...
- Cyclic nucleotide signaling mediates an odorant-suppressible chloride conductance in lobster olfactory receptor neurons
Richard E Doolin
Whitney Laboratory, University of Florida, 9505 Ocean Shore Blvd, St Augustine, FL 32080, USA
Chem Senses 30:127-35. 2005
..These findings further our understanding of the cellular mechanisms through which odorants can modulate the output of lobster ORNs...
- Presynaptic cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels modulate neurotransmission in the mammalian olfactory bulb
Gabe J Murphy
Neuroscience Graduate Program and Department of Neuroscience, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Neuron 37:639-47. 2003
..Do CNGCs also play a role in the axons and/or nerve terminals of ORNs? We find that the cyclic nucleotides cAMP and cGMP can both facilitate and depress synaptic transmission between olfactory nerve fibers and their ..
- Functional ion channels in pulmonary alveolar type I cells support a role for type I cells in lung ion transport
Meshell D Johnson
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4964-9. 2006
- Movement of the C-helix during the gating of cyclic nucleotide-gated channels
INFM Section and International School for Advanced Studies, Via Beirut 2 4, I 34014 Trieste, Italy
Biophys J 83:3283-95. 2002
..In the closed state the C-helices are in a different configuration and undergo significant fluctuations...
- Interaction between prostaglandin E2 and l-cis-diltiazem, a specific blocker of cyclic nucleotide gated channels in bovine aortic endothelial cells
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, POB 653, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
Eur J Pharmacol 543:8-13. 2006
..Recently we have shown that cyclic nucleotides affect prostaglandins binding to bovine aortic endothelial cells independent of protein kinases...
- Insulin influences the nitric oxide cyclic nucleotide pathway in cultured human smooth muscle cells from corpus cavernosum by rapidly activating a constitutive nitric oxide synthase
Diabetes Unit, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences of the University of Turin, San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, 10043 Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 147:689-700. 2002
..nitric oxide synthase (cNOS) and the ability of insulin to induce nitric oxide (NO) production and to increase intracellular cyclic nucleotides guanosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (cGMP) and adenosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (cAMP).
- Hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channels regulate auditory coincidence detection in nucleus laminaris of the chick
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Neurosci 25:8867-77. 2005
- Temporal development of cyclic nucleotide-gated and Ca2+ -activated Cl- currents in isolated mouse olfactory sensory neurons
International School for Advanced Studies, SISSA, Sector of Neurobiology, Basovizza, Trieste, Italy
J Neurophysiol 98:153-60. 2007
..These data show how to unravel the CNG and Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) component of the current rising phase...
- Cyclic nucleotide specific phosphodiesterases of the kinetoplastida: a unified nomenclature
Institute of Cell Biology, University of Bern, Baltzerstrasse 4, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Mol Biochem Parasitol 145:133-5. 2006
- Cyclic nucleotide signaling in cavernous smooth muscle
Ching Shwun Lin
Knuppe Molecular Urology Laboratory, Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 1695, USA
J Sex Med 2:478-91. 2005
..The involvement of these molecules in the development of erectile dysfunction and the possibility of using them as therapeutic agents or targets are also discussed...
- Cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in plants
Nirit Seeds Ltd, Moshav Hadar Ham 42935, Israel
FEBS Lett 581:2237-46. 2007
..The picture emerging, albeit still fragmented, is of proteins with diverse functions in the control of ion homeostasis, development, and defense against biotic and abiotic threats...
- Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 5 and sildenafil: promises realized
Section on Biochemical Physiology, Pulmonary Critical Care Medical Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute NIH DHHS, Building 10, Room 5N307, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD
Mol Pharmacol 63:1209-11. 2003
- Modulation of PMN-endothelial cells interactions by cyclic nucleotides
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Jichi Medical School, Japan
Curr Pharm Des 10:163-70. 2004
..cGMP and cAMP are cyclic nucleotides that work as second messengers and control numerous functions in PMN...
- Remodeling of the cardiac pacemaker L-type calcium current and its beta-adrenergic responsiveness in hypertension after neuronal NO synthase gene transfer
Daniel A Heaton
Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Oxford, United Kingdom
Hypertension 48:443-52. 2006
..Decreased calcium current after cardiac nNOS gene transfer contributes to the normalization of beta-adrenergic hyperresponsiveness in the SAN from hypertensive rats by modulating cyclic nucleotide signaling...
- Relative contribution of intracellular and extracellular Ca2+ to alpha2-adrenoceptor-mediated contractions of ovine pulmonary artery
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar 243 122 UP, India
Pharmacol Res 54:219-25. 2006
..elicited by guanfacine, a selective agonist for alpha(2A/D)-adrenoceptors and its modulations by cyclic nucleotides in isolated ovine resistance intra-pulmonary artery...
- Sustained entry of Ca2+ is required to activate Ca2+-calmodulin-dependent phosphodiesterase 1A
Tasmina A Goraya
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Rd, Cambridge, CB2 1PD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:40494-504. 2004
- A sea urchin egg jelly peptide induces a cGMP-mediated decrease in sperm intracellular Ca(2+) before its increase
Department of Developmental Genetics and Molecular Physiology, Institute of Biotechnology, UNAM, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62210, Mexico
Dev Biol 272:376-88. 2004
..Using membrane-permeant caged cyclic nucleotides (cNMP), only cGMP induced the decrease in [Ca(2+)]i although both cGMP and cAMP increased the [Ca(2+)]i...
- Disruption of an intersubunit interaction underlies Ca2+-calmodulin modulation of cyclic nucleotide-gated channels
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195 7290, USA
J Neurosci 23:8167-75. 2003
..The quaternary arrangement presents a structural framework for understanding the molecular mechanism of olfactory adaptation...
- Effects of various selective phosphodiesterase inhibitors on carbachol-induced contraction and cyclic nucleotide contents in guinea pig taenia coli
Division of Veterinary Pharmacology, Nippon Veterinary and Animal Science University, Musashino, Tokyo, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 66:1047-52. 2004
..In conclusion, it was indicated that vinpocetine- or Ro20-1724-induced relaxation was correlated with cAMP but EHNA- or zaprinast- induced relaxation was correlated with cGMP...
- Compartmentation of cyclic nucleotide signaling in the heart: the role of A-kinase anchoring proteins
Kimberly L Dodge-Kafka
Pat and Jim Calhoun Center for Cardiology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Circ Res 98:993-1001. 2006
..For cAMP signaling, A-kinase anchoring proteins (AKAPs) provide a molecular mechanism for cAMP compartmentation, allowing for the precise control of PKA-mediated phosphorylation events. (cAMP, PKA, AKAP, PKG)...
- Endothelium-dependent and -independent vasorelaxation by a theophylline derivative MCPT: roles of cyclic nucleotides, potassium channel opening and phosphodiesterase inhibition
Yi Ching Lo
Department and post graduate institute of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shin Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
Life Sci 76:931-44. 2005
..It is concluded that the vasorelaxation by MCPT may be mediated by the inhibition of phosphodiesterase, stimulation of NO/sGC/ cGMP and AC/cAMP pathways, and the opening of K+ channels...
- Intracellular cyclic nucleotide analogues inhibit in vitro mitogenesis and activation of fibroblasts derived from obstructed rat kidneys
T D Hewitson
Department of Nephrology, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Nephron Exp Nephrol 96:e59-66. 2004
As several studies indirectly suggest that inhibiting the intracellular breakdown of cyclic nucleotides may inhibit fibrogenesis, this study used membrane permeable cyclic nucleotide analogues to examine the role of cAMP and cGMP ..
- [Effect of 17beta-estradiol on content of cyclic nucleotides and protein kinases A and C activity in human adrenal cortex]
E N Grinchenko
Ukr Biokhim Zh 78:88-92. 2006
..Significant increasing of steroidogenesis was observed. These data support our conclusion that cAMP dependent siganling system is involved in activation of steroidogenesis by 17beta-estradiol...
- Cyclic nucleotides induce long-term augmentation of glutamate-activated chloride current in molluscan neurons
Julia V Bukanova
Brain Research Institute, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, per Obukha 5, 105064, Moscow, Russia
Cell Mol Neurobiol 25:1185-94. 2005
..The aim of present work was to elucidate whether cyclic nucleotides can cause the same effect. 2...
- A second subunit of the olfactory cyclic nucleotide-gated channel confers high sensitivity to cAMP
E R Liman
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Neuron 13:611-21. 1994
..This suggests that the native olfactory CNG channel is a hetero-oligomer composed of rOCNC1 and rOCNC2 subunits...
- Cyclic nucleotide-mediated regulation of hippocampal mossy fiber development: a target-specific guidance
Laboratory of Chemical Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
J Neurosci 21:6181-94. 2001
..e., an attractant derived from the CA3 region and a repellent from the CA1 region. These factors may be regulated differently by cAMP and cGMP signaling pathways...
- In vivo assessment of local phosphodiesterase activity using tailored cyclic nucleotide-gated channels as cAMP sensors
T C Rich
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Gen Physiol 118:63-78. 2001
..Modulation of constitutively active adenylyl cyclase and PDE would allow for rapid control of cAMP-regulated processes such as cellular excitability...
- Generating new ligand-binding RNAs by affinity maturation and disintegration of allosteric ribozymes
G A Soukup
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8103, USA
RNA 7:524-36. 2001
..This "affinity maturation" effect is expected to be a valuable attribute of allosteric selection as future endeavors seek to apply engineered allosteric ribozymes as biosensor components and as controllable genetic switches...
- C-terminal movement during gating in cyclic nucleotide-modulated channels
Kimberley B Craven
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Biol Chem 283:14728-38. 2008
..These results support our hypothesis that the SB triad forms in the closed channel and indicate that this region expands as the channel opens...
- Drosophila odorant receptors are both ligand-gated and cyclic-nucleotide-activated cation channels
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knöll St 8, D 07745 Jena, Germany
Nature 452:1007-11. 2008
..Thereby, they provide rapid and transient as well as sensitive and prolonged odorant signalling...
- Neuroscience: current views on odour receptors
Nature 452:944. 2008
- Ca2+ permeation in cyclic nucleotide-gated channels
Institut für Biologische Informationsverarbeitung, Forschungszentrum Julich, 52425 Julich
EMBO J 18:131-44. 1999
- Molecular cloning and expression of the Modulatory subunit of the cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel
Institut für Pharmakologie and Toxikologie der Technischen Universität Munchen, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 271:6349-55. 1996
..The results suggest that CNG4 forms functional heterooligomeric channels with CNG3 in vitro and probably also in intact tissues...
- Structural and energetic analysis of activation by a cyclic nucleotide binding domain
Stephen L Altieri
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8114, USA
J Mol Biol 381:655-69. 2008
..These data help to identify ligand-protein interactions that are important for ligand dependence in MlotiK1 and, more globally, in the class of nucleotide-dependent proteins...
- Cyclic nucleotides in platelets of genetically hypertriglyceridemic and hypertensive rats. Thrombin and nitric oxide responses are unrelated to plasma triglyceride levels
M G Pernollet
Pharmacologie, , CNRS UMR 8604, , 156 rue de Vaugirard, 75015 Paris, France
Thromb Res 104:29-37. 2001
..aggregation, we examined whether triglycerides could modulate cell responsiveness through changes in cyclic nucleotides in platelets of HTG rats...
- Manipulation of papillary muscle cyclic nucleotides during anoxia-reoxygenation: effects on contractility
Jeanne J Upton
Department of Medical Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Cardiovasc J S Afr 13:10-6. 2002
..4 +/- 20.89 pmoles/gww), had no effects on the contractility pattern of muscles during normoxia, anoxia or reoxygenation, suggesting that in isolated ventricular muscle, cGMP levels play a minor role in regulating muscle contractility...
- Cyclic nucleotides: the current dilemma!
Anthony J Trewavas
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, Daniel Rutherford Building, Edinburgh EH9 3JH, United Kingdom
Curr Opin Plant Biol 5:425-9. 2002
..The roles of these molecules in the regulation of ionic channels, defence responses and the apical growth of cells are being uncovered...
- Heat induced HSP20 phosphorylation without increased cyclic nucleotide levels in swine carotid media
Christopher M Rembold
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 USA
BMC Physiol 3:3. 2003
..e., reduce force with only minimal reduction in ser19-myosin regulatory light chain (MRLC) phosphorylation...
- Characterisation of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase isoforms in the media layer of the main pulmonary artery
Laboratoire de Physiologie Cellulaire Respiratoire, INSERM EMI 9937, Universite Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Biochem Pharmacol 63:1763-72. 2002
b>Cyclic nucleotides are involved in the control of pulmonary vascular tone. In the present study, we measured the cyclic nucleotide specific phosphodiesterase (PDE) activity in the media of bovine isolated main pulmonary artery (MPA)...
- Regulation of protease-activated receptor (PAR) 1 and PAR4 signaling in human platelets by compartmentalized cyclic nucleotide actions
Matthew L Bilodeau
Department of Pharmacology, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 442 Robinson Research Building, Nashville, TN 37232 6600, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 322:778-88. 2007
..Specifically, PAR4 inhibition depends on the regulation of both calcium mobilization and dense granule release, and PAR1 inhibition depends predominantly on the regulation of dense granule release...
- NO underlies the muscarinic receptor-mediated inhibition of If in early embryonic heart cells
Institute of Neurophysiology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Cell Physiol Biochem 20:293-302. 2007
..The aim of the present study was to clarify whether and via which signalling pathway(s) I(f) is regulated upon muscarinic receptor activation in early embryonic (E9.5 to E11.5) cardiomyocytes...
- Sperm chemotaxis in marine invertebrates--molecules and mechanisms
U B Kaupp
Institut für Biologische Informationsverarbeitung 1, Forschungszentrum Julich, 52425 Julich, Germany
J Cell Physiol 208:487-94. 2006
..We discuss the motor response during chemotaxis and propose a model of the navigation strategy of sperm...
- Selective phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitors in chronic obstructive lung disease
Francisco J Soto
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 11:129-34. 2005
..Novel anti-inflammatory therapies such as selective phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) inhibitors are in clinical development. Their potential role in the management of COPD is described in this review...
- Biochemistry and physiology of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases: essential components in cyclic nucleotide signaling
Division of Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 943095 5317, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 76:481-511. 2007
- The role of omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in health and disease of the retina
John Paul SanGiovanni
Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Research, National Eye Insitute, National Institutes of Health, 31 Center Drive, Building 31, Room 6A52, MSC 2510, Bethesda, MD 20892 2510, USA
Prog Retin Eye Res 24:87-138. 2005
..compounds classified as eicosanoids, angiogenic factors, matrix metalloproteinases, reactive oxygen species, cyclic nucleotides, neurotransmitters and neuromodulators, pro-inflammatory and immunoregulatory cytokines, and inflammatory ..
- PDE4 and PDE5 regulate cyclic nucleotides relaxing effects in human umbilical arteries
António José Santos-Silva
Centro de Investigacao em Ciencias da Saude, Universidade da Beira Interior, Av Infante D Henrique, 6200 506 Covilha, Portugal
Eur J Pharmacol 582:102-9. 2008
b>Cyclic nucleotides (cAMP and cGMP) are the main second messengers linked to vasodilatation. They are synthesized by cyclases and degraded by different types of phosphodiesterases (PDE)...
E Neil Schachter
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 42:237-47. 2006
The central role of cyclic nucleotides as intracellular second messengers dates back almost 50 years...
- Cardiotonic actions of selective phosphodiesterase inhibitors in rat isolated ventricular cardiomyocytes
E J Kelso
Department of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, Queen s University of Belfast
Br J Pharmacol 110:1387-94. 1993
..e.). Ro 20-1724 did not have any effect on contractile activity. 5. Due to low basal levels of cyclic nucleotides in isolated cells, accumulation of cyclic AMP due to the presence of the PDE inhibitors was detected only ..
- Adenosine receptor-induced second messenger production in adult guinea-pig cerebellum
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Nottingham Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre
Br J Pharmacol 110:1085-90. 1993
1. The effects of adenosine receptor agonists on cyclic nucleotides accumulation were investigated in adult guinea-pig cerebellar slices by use of radioactive precursors. 2...
- Factors involved in the relaxation of female pig urethra evoked by electrical field stimulation
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 116:1599-604. 1995
..The mechanism for relaxation was characterized by measurement of cyclic nucleotides and by study of involvement of different subsets of voltage-operated calcium channels (VOCCs). 2...
- Natriuretic peptides modify Pseudomonas fluorescens cytotoxicity by regulating cyclic nucleotides and modifying LPS structure
Laboratory of Cold Microbiology, UPRES EA 2123, University of Rouen, 55 rue Saint Germain, 27000 Evreux, France
BMC Microbiol 8:114. 2008
..In the present study, we investigated the sensitivity of Pseudomonas fluorescens to natriuretic peptides and evaluated the distribution and variability of putative natriuretic peptide-dependent sensor systems in the Pseudomonas genus...
- Differential effects of histamine mediated by histamine H1- and H2-receptors on contractility, spontaneous rate and cyclic nucleotides in the rabbit heart
Department of Pharmacology, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 153:221-9. 1988
- Microfilament dynamics: regulation of actin polymerization by actin-fragmin kinase and phosphatases
Afdeling Biochemie, Faculteit Geneeskunde, Katholieke Universiteit te Leuven, Belgium
Adv Enzyme Regul 35:199-227. 1995
..abstract truncated at 400 words)..
- Nitric oxide and cyclic nucleotides: their roles in junction dynamics and spermatogenesis
Nikki P Y Lee
Department of Medicine Surgery, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Oxid Med Cell Longev 1:25-32. 2008
..Thus, NOS/NO bears an irreplaceable role in maintaining the homeostasis of the microenvironment in the seminiferous epithelium via its different downstream signaling pathways...
- Cyclic AMP is involved in cardioregulation by multiple neuropeptides encoded on the FMRFamide gene
Sussex Centre for Neuroscience, School of Biological Sciences, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QG, UK
J Exp Biol 202:2595-607. 1999
We have used a combination of biochemical and pharmacological techniques to investigate the role of the cyclic nucleotides, 3', 5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cyclic AMP) and 3',5'-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cyclic GMP), in ..
- Enzymatic synthesis and characterizations of cyclic GDP-ribose. A procedure for distinguishing enzymes with ADP-ribosyl cyclase activity
R M Graeff
Department of Physiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455
J Biol Chem 269:30260-7. 1994
b>Cyclic nucleotides such as cAMP and cGMP are second messengers subserving various signaling pathways...
- Prostacyclin among prostanoids
Ryszard J Gryglewski
Jagiellonian Medical Research Centre, Krakow, Sławkowska 17, PL 31 016 Kraków, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 60:3-11. 2008
..Both cyclic nucleotides (c-AMP and c-GMP) act in synergy as two energetic fists which defend the cellular machinery from being ..
- Resolution of cAMP signals in three-dimensional microdomains using novel, real-time sensors
Jeffrey W Karpen
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 47:1-5. 2004
..CNG channels are directly opened by the binding of cyclic nucleotides. They were discovered in retinal photoreceptor cells and olfactory receptor neurons, where they generate the ..
- Prostaglandin E receptors in myometrial cells
1st Institute of Biochemistry, Semmelweis University of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Acta Physiol Hung 85:39-50. 1997
..The second messengers calcium, inositol phosphates (InsPs) and cyclic nucleotides play decisive roles in uterine contractility...
- Implication of calmodulin-dependent phosphodiesterase type 1 during bovine sperm capacitation
Departement des Sciences Animales, Universite Laval, Quebec, Quebec Canada
J Androl 24:104-12. 2003
Phosphodiesterases (PDEs) are enzymes that degrade cyclic nucleotides. The calcium-calmodulin dependent PDE type 1 (PDE 1) and the cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)-specific PDE type 4 (PDE 4) have been implicated in sperm function...