- FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer
Nancy University and Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Alexis Vautrin, Nancy, France
N Engl J Med 364:1817-25. 2011
- Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer
Joan H Schiller
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, USA
N Engl J Med 346:92-8. 2002
..We conducted a randomized study to determine whether any of three chemotherapy regimens was superior to cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer...
- Phase III study comparing cisplatin plus gemcitabine with cisplatin plus pemetrexed in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer
Giorgio Vittorio Scagliotti
University of Torino, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, S Luigi Hospital, Regione Gonzole, 10, Orbassano Torino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:3543-51. 2008
..Cisplatin plus gemcitabine is a standard regimen for first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Phase II studies of pemetrexed plus platinum compounds have also shown activity in this setting...
- Inhibition of Hedgehog signaling enhances delivery of chemotherapy in a mouse model of pancreatic cancer
Kenneth P Olive
Cancer Research UK, Cambridge Research Institute, Li Ka Shing Centre, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 ORE, UK
Science 324:1457-61. 2009
..Thus, inefficient drug delivery may be an important contributor to chemoresistance in pancreatic cancer...
- Erlotinib plus gemcitabine compared with gemcitabine alone in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase III trial of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group
Malcolm J Moore
Division of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Clin Oncol 25:1960-6. 2007
..We studied the effects of adding the HER1/EGFR-targeted agent erlotinib to gemcitabine in patients with unresectable, locally advanced, or metastatic pancreatic cancer...
- Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III study
Leonard B Saltz
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, Room H 917, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2013-9. 2008
- Lapatinib plus capecitabine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer
Charles E Geyer
Allegheny Cancer Center, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2733-43. 2006
..In this trial, we compared lapatinib plus capecitabine with capecitabine alone in such patients...
- Pancreatic cancer
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Box 426, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Lancet 363:1049-57. 2004
..However, new therapeutic strategies based on the molecular biology of pancreatic cancer seem to hold the greatest promise...
- Up-regulation of miR-200 and let-7 by natural agents leads to the reversal of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic cancer cells
Department of Pathology, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 69:6704-12. 2009
- Cisplatin plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine for biliary tract cancer
Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 362:1273-81. 2010
..After we found an improvement in progression-free survival, the trial was extended to the phase 3 trial reported here...
- Addition of cetuximab to oxaliplatin-based first-line combination chemotherapy for treatment of advanced colorectal cancer: results of the randomised phase 3 MRC COIN trial
Timothy S Maughan
School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Lancet 377:2103-14. 2011
- Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer
Royal Marsden Hospital National Health Service Foundation Trust, Surrey and London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 358:36-46. 2008
..We evaluated capecitabine (an oral fluoropyrimidine) and oxaliplatin (a platinum compound) as alternatives to infused fluorouracil and cisplatin, respectively, for untreated advanced esophagogastric cancer...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy with gemcitabine vs observation in patients undergoing curative-intent resection of pancreatic cancer: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Charite School of Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
JAMA 297:267-77. 2007
..The role of adjuvant therapy in resectable pancreatic cancer is still uncertain, and no recommended standard exists...
- Chemotherapy, bevacizumab, and cetuximab in metastatic colorectal cancer
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 360:563-72. 2009
..We studied the effect of adding the anti-epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) antibody cetuximab to a combination of capecitabine, oxaliplatin, and bevacizumab for metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Phase III study of erlotinib in combination with cisplatin and gemcitabine in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the Tarceva Lung Cancer Investigation Trial
Zentrum fur Pneumologie und Thoraxchirurgie, Krankenhaus D LVA, Germany
J Clin Oncol 25:1545-52. 2007
- Acquisition of epithelial-mesenchymal transition phenotype of gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic cancer cells is linked with activation of the notch signaling pathway
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 69:2400-7. 2009
- Randomized phase III study of cisplatin plus irinotecan versus carboplatin plus paclitaxel, cisplatin plus gemcitabine, and cisplatin plus vinorelbine for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: Four-Arm Cooperative Study in Japan
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Oncol 18:317-23. 2007
..To compare the efficacy and toxicity of three platinum-based combination regimens against cisplatin plus irinotecan (IP) in patients with untreated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) by a non-inferiority design...
- Gemcitabine plus bevacizumab compared with gemcitabine plus placebo in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer: phase III trial of the Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB 80303)
Hedy Lee Kindler
University of Chicago Cancer Research Center, Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3617-22. 2010
..These encouraging data led Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) to conduct a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized phase III trial of gemcitabine/bevacizumab versus gemcitabine/placebo in advanced pancreatic cancer patients...
- Gemcitabine and cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in advanced or metastatic bladder cancer: results of a large, randomized, multinational, multicenter, phase III study
H von der Maase
Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
J Clin Oncol 18:3068-77. 2000
..Gemcitabine plus cisplatin (GC) and methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin (MVAC) were compared in patients with locally advanced or metastatic transitional-cell carcinoma (TCC) of the urothelium...
- A phase III randomized comparison of lapatinib plus capecitabine versus capecitabine alone in women with advanced breast cancer that has progressed on trastuzumab: updated efficacy and biomarker analyses
University of Leeds, Leeds, England, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:533-43. 2008
..Updated efficacy and initial biomarker results from this trial are reported...
- Comparison of two neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy regimens for locally advanced rectal cancer: results of the phase III trial ACCORD 12/0405-Prodige 2
Jean Pierre Gerard
Centre Antoine Lacassagne, 06189 Nice Cedex 2, France
J Clin Oncol 28:1638-44. 2010
..Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy is considered a standard approach for T3-4 M0 rectal cancer. In this situation, we compared neoadjuvant radiotherapy plus capecitabine with dose-intensified radiotherapy plus capecitabine and oxaliplatin...
- Phase III randomized comparison of gemcitabine versus gemcitabine plus capecitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer
Royal Marsden National HealthService NHS Foundation Trust, London and Surrey, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 27:5513-8. 2009
..This open-label study was designed to compare the overall survival (OS) of patients randomly assigned to GEM alone or GEM plus capecitabine (GEM-CAP)...
- Randomized phase III study of capecitabine plus oxaliplatin compared with fluorouracil/folinic acid plus oxaliplatin as first-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer
Glasgow University, Garscube Estate, Switchback Rd, Glasgow, Scotland
J Clin Oncol 26:2006-12. 2008
..To evaluate whether capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) is noninferior to fluorouracil. folinic acid, and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX-4) as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer (MCRC)...
- Simplification of antiretroviral therapy with tenofovir-emtricitabine or abacavir-Lamivudine: a randomized, 96-week trial
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research UNSW, 5St Vincent s Centre for Applied Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 49:1591-601. 2009
..Which fixed-dose-combination tablet is more effective and safe is uncertain...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil plus folinic acid vs gemcitabine following pancreatic cancer resection: a randomized controlled trial
John P Neoptolemos
Liverpool Cancer Research UK Cancer Trials Unit, Cancer Research UK Centre, University of Liverpool, Fifth Floor, UCD Bldg, Daulby Street, Liverpool, L69 3GA, United Kingdom
JAMA 304:1073-81. 2010
..Gemcitabine is known to be the most effective agent in advanced disease as well as an effective agent in patients with resected pancreatic cancer...
- Phase III study comparing gemcitabine plus cetuximab versus gemcitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma: Southwest Oncology Group-directed intergroup trial S0205
Philip A Philip
Wayne State University, Karmanos Cancer Institute, GI Oncology, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3605-10. 2010
..This trial was conducted to evaluate the contribution of an EGFR-targeted agent to standard gemcitabine therapy. Cetuximab is a monoclonal antibody against the ligand-binding domain of the receptor...
- Antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis prevents vaginal transmission of HIV-1 in humanized BLT mice
Paul W Denton
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Med 5:e16. 2008
..Given the importance of this route of transmission, we investigated the susceptibility of humanized mice to intravaginal HIV-1 infection...
- Antiretroviral therapies in women after single-dose nevirapine exposure
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
N Engl J Med 363:1499-509. 2010
..Peripartum administration of single-dose nevirapine reduces mother-to-child transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) but selects for nevirapine-resistant virus...
- Complete protection from repeated vaginal simian-human immunodeficiency virus exposures in macaques by a topical gel containing tenofovir alone or with emtricitabine
Urvi M Parikh
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Virol 83:10358-65. 2009
..Thus, single drugs with durable antiviral activity can provide highly effective topical prophylaxis and overcome the need for noncoital use or for drug combinations which are more complex and costly to formulate and approve...
- Development and characterization of gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic tumor cells
Ami N Shah
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:3629-37. 2007
..To study the mechanisms of chemoresistance in pancreatic cancer we developed two gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic cancer cell lines...
- Role of NF-kappaB and Akt/PI3K in the resistance of pancreatic carcinoma cell lines against gemcitabine-induced cell death
1Laboratory of Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 1st Department of Medicine, University of Kiel, Germany
Oncogene 22:3243-51. 2003
- BRCA1 mRNA expression levels as an indicator of chemoresistance in lung cancer
Medical Oncology Service, Institut Catala d Oncologia, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Hum Mol Genet 13:2443-9. 2004
..020) compared with those in the top quartile. BRCA1 expression is potentially an important tool for use in cancer management and should be assessed for predicting differential chemosensitivity and tailoring chemotherapy in lung cancer...
- Gemcitabine alone versus gemcitabine plus radiotherapy in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial
Patrick J Loehrer
Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center, 980 West Walnut St, Suite C528, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:4105-12. 2011
..The purpose of this trial was to evaluate the role of radiation therapy with concurrent gemcitabine (GEM) compared with GEM alone in patients with localized unresectable pancreatic cancer...
- Gemcitabine in combination with oxaliplatin compared with gemcitabine alone in locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer: results of a GERCOR and GISCAD phase III trial
Service d Oncologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
J Clin Oncol 23:3509-16. 2005
..Given the promising phase II results obtained with the Gem-oxaliplatin (GemOx) combination, we conducted a phase III study comparing GemOx with Gem alone in advanced pancreatic cancer...
- Randomized phase III trial of gemcitabine-based chemotherapy with in situ RRM1 and ERCC1 protein levels for response prediction in non-small-cell lung cancer
US Oncology, The Woodlands, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:5808-15. 2009
- Axitinib plus gemcitabine versus placebo plus gemcitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a double-blind randomised phase 3 study
Hedy L Kindler
University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Lancet Oncol 12:256-62. 2011
..On the basis of these results, we aimed to assess the effect of treatment with gemcitabine plus axitinib on overall survival in a phase 3 trial...
- Phase III trial of bevacizumab in combination with gemcitabine and erlotinib in patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer
Eric Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg Leuven, Digestive Oncology Unit, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 27:2231-7. 2009
..Phase II results for bevacizumab plus gemcitabine provided the rationale for a phase III trial of gemcitabine-erlotinib plus bevacizumab or placebo...
- Meta-analysis of randomized trials: evaluation of benefit from gemcitabine-based combination chemotherapy applied in advanced pancreatic cancer
Department of Internal Medicine III, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Germany
BMC Cancer 8:82. 2008
..Single-agent gemcitabine (GEM) is a standard treatment for advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer. This study examines the question whether GEM-based combination chemotherapy can further improve treatment efficacy...
- Randomized phase III trial of ixabepilone plus capecitabine versus capecitabine in patients with metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline and a taxane
Joseph A Sparano
Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3256-63. 2010
- Oral mTOR inhibitor everolimus in patients with gemcitabine-refractory metastatic pancreatic cancer
Brian M Wolpin
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:193-8. 2009
..We performed a multi-institutional, single-arm, phase II study of RAD001(everolimus), an oral inhibitor of mTOR, in patients who experienced treatment failure on first-line therapy with gemcitabine...
- Randomized comparison of renal effects, efficacy, and safety with once-daily abacavir/lamivudine versus tenofovir/emtricitabine, administered with efavirenz, in antiretroviral-naive, HIV-1-infected adults: 48-week results from the ASSERT study
Frank A Post
King s College London, London, United Kingdom
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:49-57. 2010
..Abacavir/lamivudine and tenofovir/emtricitabine fixed-dose combinations are commonly used first-line antiretroviral therapies, yet few studies have comprehensively compared their safety profiles...
- Capecitabine as adjuvant treatment for stage III colon cancer
University of Leeds and Bradford NHS Hospitals Trust, Leeds, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 352:2696-704. 2005
..The oral fluoropyrimidine capecitabine is an established alternative to bolus fluorouracil plus leucovorin as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer. We evaluated capecitabine in the adjuvant setting...
- Phase II trial of cetuximab, gemcitabine, and oxaliplatin followed by chemoradiation with cetuximab for locally advanced (T4) pancreatic adenocarcinoma: correlation of Smad4(Dpc4) immunostaining with pattern of disease progression
Christopher H Crane
Dept of Radiation Oncology, Unit 97, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX
J Clin Oncol 29:3037-43. 2011
..This phase II trial was designed to assess the efficacy and safety of cetuximab, gemcitabine, and oxaliplatin followed by cetuximab, capecitabine, and radiation therapy in locally advanced pancreatic cancer (LAPC)...
- Comparison of changes in bone density and turnover with abacavir-lamivudine versus tenofovir-emtricitabine in HIV-infected adults: 48-week results from the ASSERT study
Hans Jurgen Stellbrink
Infektions Medizinisches Centrum Hamburg Study Center, Hamburg, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 51:963-72. 2010
..Abacavir-lamivudine and tenofovir DF-emtricitabine fixed-dose combinations are commonly used as first-line antiretroviral therapies. However, few studies have comprehensively compared their relative safety profiles...
- Neoadjuvant chemoradiation with Gemcitabine for locally advanced pancreatic cancer
Department of Radiation Oncology, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Radiat Oncol 7:28. 2012
..To evaluate efficacy and secondary resectability in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer (LAPC) treated with neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (CRT)...
- Involvement of ribonucleotide reductase M1 subunit overexpression in gemcitabine resistance of human pancreatic cancer
Department of Surgery and Clinical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Int J Cancer 120:1355-63. 2007
..016). RRM1 should be a key molecule in gemcitabine resistance in human pancreatic cancer through both in vitro and clinical models. RRM1 may have the potential as predictor and modulator of gemcitabine treatment...
- In vitro evaluation of photon and carbon ion radiotherapy in combination with chemotherapy in glioblastoma cells
Stephanie E Combs
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Radiat Oncol 7:9. 2012
..To evaluate the cytotoxic effect of carbon ion radiotherapy and chemotherapy in glioblastoma cells in vitro...
- Low ERCC1 expression correlates with prolonged survival after cisplatin plus gemcitabine chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer
Reginald V N Lord
University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2286-91. 2002
..We investigated whether ERCC1 mRNA expression levels were associated with clinical outcomes after treatment with a combination Gem/CDDP regimen for patients with advanced stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Overall survival with cisplatin-gemcitabine and bevacizumab or placebo as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer: results from a randomised phase III trial (AVAiL)
Department of Thoracic Oncology, Krankenhaus Grosshansdorf, Grosshansdorf
Ann Oncol 21:1804-9. 2010
..We report the final overall survival (OS) analysis from the phase III AVAiL trial...
- Bone mineral density and fractures in antiretroviral-naive persons randomized to receive abacavir-lamivudine or tenofovir disoproxil fumarate-emtricitabine along with efavirenz or atazanavir-ritonavir: Aids Clinical Trials Group A5224s, a substudy of ACTG
Grace A McComsey
Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Infect Dis 203:1791-801. 2011
..Long-term effects of abacavir (ABC)-lamivudine (3TC), compared with tenofovir (TDF)-emtricitabine (FTC) with efavirenz (EFV) or atazanavir plus ritonavir (ATV/r), on bone mineral density (BMD) have not been analyzed...
- Gemcitabine and docetaxel in patients with unresectable leiomyosarcoma: results of a phase II trial
Martee L Hensley
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:2824-31. 2002
..Few chemotherapy agents are active in leiomyosarcoma (LMS), particularly LMS that has progressed after doxorubicin treatment. We sought to determine the response to gemcitabine plus docetaxel among patients with LMS...
- Pharmacologic ascorbate synergizes with gemcitabine in preclinical models of pancreatic cancer
Michael Graham Espey
Molecular and Clinical Nutrition Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 50:1610-9. 2011
..These data support the testing of pharmacologic ascorbate in adjunctive treatments for cancers prone to high failure rates with conventional therapeutic regimens, such as pancreatic cancer...
- AZD7762, a novel checkpoint kinase inhibitor, drives checkpoint abrogation and potentiates DNA-targeted therapies
Sonya D Zabludoff
AstraZeneca R and D Boston, 35 Gatehouse Drive, Waltham, MA 02451, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:2955-66. 2008
- Capecitabine/cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer: a randomised phase III noninferiority trial
Y K Kang
Division of Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Ann Oncol 20:666-73. 2009
..To compare capecitabine/cisplatin with 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin as first-line treatment for advanced gastric cancer (AGC)...
- Multicenter phase II study of lapatinib in patients with brain metastases from HER2-positive breast cancer
Nancy U Lin
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:1452-9. 2009
..The current study was done to further evaluate the CNS activity of lapatinib. The study was later amended to allow patients who progressed on lapatinib the option of receiving lapatinib plus capecitabine...
- Phase III trial of gemcitabine plus tipifarnib compared with gemcitabine plus placebo in advanced pancreatic cancer
E Van Cutsem
Department Internal Medicine, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 22:1430-8. 2004
- Long-term survival results of a randomized trial comparing gemcitabine plus cisplatin, with methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin in patients with bladder cancer
Hans von der Maase
Department of Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Clin Oncol 23:4602-8. 2005
..To compare long-term survival in patients with locally advanced or metastatic transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the urothelium treated with gemcitabine/cisplatin (GC) or methotrexate/vinblastine/doxorubicin/cisplatin (MVAC)...
- Novel approaches to deliver gemcitabine to cancers
L Harivardhan Reddy
Univ Paris Sud XI, Faculte de Pharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex, France
Curr Pharm Des 14:1124-37. 2008
..Altogether, the delivery strategies adopted for gemcitabine led to a considerable improvement in the treatment of cancers at the preclinical stage, and some of them are potential candidates for clinical trials...
- Clinical benefit of lapatinib-based therapy in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast tumors coexpressing the truncated p95HER2 receptor
Department of Medical Oncology, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 16:2688-95. 2010
..We have studied the correlation between p95HER2 expression and response to lapatinib, both in preclinical models and in the clinical setting...
- Gemcitabine and arabinosylcytosin pharmacogenomics: genome-wide association and drug response biomarkers
Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7765. 2009
- Capecitabine, bevacizumab, and mitomycin in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: results of the Australasian Gastrointestinal Trials Group Randomized Phase III MAX Study
Niall C Tebbutt
Austin Health, Studley Rd, Heidelberg, Victoria, 3084, Australia
J Clin Oncol 28:3191-8. 2010
..To determine whether adding bevacizumab, with or without mitomycin, to capecitabine monotherapy improves progression-free survival (PFS) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) in an open-label, three-arm randomized trial...
- Pancreatic cancer cells resistant to chemoradiotherapy rich in "stem-cell-like" tumor cells
Department of General Surgery, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University Medical School, 200025, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Dig Dis Sci 56:741-50. 2011
..Tumor resistance to chemoradiation therapy is partly attributed to the presence of apoptosis-resistant cancer stem cells (CSCs). Chemoradiation therapy can enrich CSCs by killing apoptosis-susceptible cancer cells...
- An increase in the expression of ribonucleotide reductase large subunit 1 is associated with gemcitabine resistance in non-small cell lung cancer cell lines
Jennifer D Davidson
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Cancer Res 64:3761-6. 2004
..The results from this study indicate that the level of RRM1 may affect gemcitabine response. Furthermore, RRM1 may serve as a biomarker for gemcitabine response...
- Nucleoside analogues: mechanisms of drug resistance and reversal strategies
C M Galmarini
, Laboratoire de Cytologie Analytique, , Lyon, France
Leukemia 15:875-90. 2001
..Strategies aiming to increase the intracellular concentrations of active compounds are presented...
- Phase II study of gemcitabine and oxaliplatin in combination with bevacizumab in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma
Andrew X Zhu
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1898-903. 2006
- Levels of gemcitabine transport and metabolism proteins predict survival times of patients treated with gemcitabine for pancreatic adenocarcinoma
Department of Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Cancer Unit, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Gastroenterology 143:664-74.e1-6. 2012
..gemcitabine cytotoxicity include the activities of the human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 (hENT1), deoxycytidine kinase (dCK), and ribonucleotide reductase subunit 1 (RRM1)...
- Impact of KRAS and BRAF Gene Mutation Status on Outcomes From the Phase III AGITG MAX Trial of Capecitabine Alone or in Combination With Bevacizumab and Mitomycin in Advanced Colorectal Cancer
Timothy J Price
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville, SA 5011 Australia
J Clin Oncol 29:2675-82. 2011
- RRM1 modulated in vitro and in vivo efficacy of gemcitabine and platinum in non-small-cell lung cancer
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, MRC 4W, Room 4046, 12902 Magnolia Dr, Tampa, FL 33612 9497, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4731-7. 2006
..However, the principal hypothesis that intratumoral levels of gene expression are associated with disease response has not been addressed...
- Gemcitabine plus docetaxel versus docetaxel in patients with predominantly human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer: a randomized, phase III study by the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group
Dorte Lisbet Nielsen
Herlev Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Oncol 29:4748-54. 2011
..The objective of this phase III study was to compare the efficacy of gemcitabine plus docetaxel (GD) versus docetaxel in patients with advanced breast cancer...
- H2AX phosphorylation marks gemcitabine-induced stalled replication forks and their collapse upon S-phase checkpoint abrogation
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:1239-48. 2007
..Thus, H2AX becomes phosphorylated and forms nuclear foci in response to gemcitabine-induced stalled replication forks, and this is greatly increased upon checkpoint abrogation...
- Glycogen synthase kinase 3β inhibition sensitizes pancreatic cancer cells to gemcitabine
Department of Medical Oncology, Kanazawa Medical University, 1 1 Daigaku, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
J Gastroenterol 47:321-33. 2012
..Here, we investigated the effect of GSK3β inhibition on pancreatic cancer cell sensitivity to gemcitabine and the underlying molecular mechanism...
- Meta-analysis of the REAL-2 and ML17032 trials: evaluating capecitabine-based combination chemotherapy and infused 5-fluorouracil-based combination chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced oesophago-gastric cancer
A F C Okines
The Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Ann Oncol 20:1529-34. 2009
- Prognostic factors in japanese patients with advanced pancreatic cancer treated with single-agent gemcitabine as first-line therapy
Division of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 38:755-61. 2008
..The purpose of the retrospective analysis is to elucidate the treatment efficacy and toxicity as well as to identify prognostic factors in Japanese patients with advanced pancreatic cancer treated with gemcitabine...
- Curcumin potentiates antitumor activity of gemcitabine in an orthotopic model of pancreatic cancer through suppression of proliferation, angiogenesis, and inhibition of nuclear factor-kappaB-regulated gene products
Ajaikumar B Kunnumakkara
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 67:3853-61. 2007
..018 versus control). Overall, our results suggest that curcumin potentiates the antitumor effects of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer by suppressing proliferation, angiogenesis, NF-kappaB, and NF-kappaB-regulated gene products...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-matched, multicenter trial of abacavir/lamivudine or tenofovir/emtricitabine with lopinavir/ritonavir for initial HIV treatment
Kimberly Y Smith
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
AIDS 23:1547-56. 2009
..This is the first completed, randomized clinical trial to directly compare the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of these agents, each in combination with lopinavir/ritonavir in antiretroviral-naive patients...
- XELOX vs FOLFOX-4 as first-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer: NO16966 updated results
Institute of Cancer Sciences, Beatson Oncology Centre, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Br J Cancer 105:58-64. 2011
..We report updated overall survival (OS) data from study NO16966, which compared capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) vs 5-fluorouracil/folinic acid plus oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4) as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Safety and adherence to intermittent pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV-1 in African men who have sex with men and female sex workers
Kenya AIDS Vaccine Initiative, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
PLoS ONE 7:e33103. 2012
..We present safety and adherence data from the first trial of an intermittent PrEP regimen among Kenyan men who have sex with men (MSM) and female sex workers (FSW)...
- A phase I/II study of gemcitabine-based chemotherapy plus curcumin for patients with gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic cancer
Outpatient Oncology Unit, Kyoto University Hospital, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 68:157-64. 2011
..We evaluated the safety and feasibility of combination therapy using curcumin with gemcitabine-based chemotherapy...
- Three-dimensional collagen I promotes gemcitabine resistance in pancreatic cancer through MT1-MMP-mediated expression of HMGA2
Division of Hematology Oncology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Cancer Res 71:1019-28. 2011
- New insights into the pharmacology and cytotoxicity of gemcitabine and 2',2'-difluorodeoxyuridine
Stephan A Veltkamp
Division of Experimental Therapy, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Cancer Ther 7:2415-25. 2008
..dFdU-TP is incorporated into DNA and RNA, which correlated with dFdU cytotoxicity. These data provide strong evidence that dFdU can significantly contribute to the cytotoxicity of dFdC...
- Mechanism of radiosensitization by the Chk1/2 inhibitor AZD7762 involves abrogation of the G2 checkpoint and inhibition of homologous recombinational DNA repair
Meredith A Morgan
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5637, USA
Cancer Res 70:4972-81. 2010
..Furthermore, they support the clinical use of AZD7762 in combination with gemcitabine and radiation for patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer...
- Metastatic pancreatic cancer: is gemcitabine still the best standard treatment? (Review)
Mariacristina Di Marco
L e A Seràgnoli Department of Hematology and Oncological Sciences, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Oncol Rep 23:1183-92. 2010
..This study examines the principal clinical trials that will help give clinicians an overview of the progress made in the systemic therapy for advanced pancreatic cancer patients in recent years...
- A pharmacodynamic model for the time course of tumor shrinkage by gemcitabine + carboplatin in non-small cell lung cancer patients
Lai San Tham
Department of Hematology Oncology, National University Hospital, Singapore
Clin Cancer Res 14:4213-8. 2008
- Safety and efficacy of oxaliplatin and fluoropyrimidine regimens with or without bevacizumab as first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: results of the TREE Study
Howard S Hochster
New York University Cancer Institute, 160 East 34th St, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:3523-9. 2008
..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of three oxaliplatin and fluoropyrimidine regimens, with or without bevacizumab, as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- EMAP II-based antiangiogenic-antiendothelial in vivo combination therapy of pancreatic cancer
Roderich E Schwarz
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1442-52. 2010
..We tested the hypothesis that a combination of EMAP with bevacizumab (Bev) and gemcitabine (Gem) targets different pathways of PDAC progression and represents more effective treatment...
- Gemcitabine and cytosine arabinoside cytotoxicity: association with lymphoblastoid cell expression
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer Res 68:7050-8. 2008
..Our results suggest that cell-based model system studies, when combined with complementary functional characterization, may help to identify biomarkers for response to chemotherapy with these cytidine analogues...
- An antiendothelial combination therapy strategy to increase survival in experimental pancreatic cancer
Roderich E Schwarz
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8548, USA
Surgery 146:241-9. 2009
..Combination treatments in addition to gemcitabine have failed to improve outcomes in pancreatic cancer. We tested gemcitabine in combination with the antiendothelial agent endothelial monocyte-activating polypeptide II (EMAP II)...
- Prevention of rectal SHIV transmission in macaques by daily or intermittent prophylaxis with emtricitabine and tenofovir
J Gerardo Garcia-Lerma
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS Med 5:e28. 2008
..We evaluated daily and intermittent PrEP regimens of increasing antiviral activity in a macaque model that closely resembles human transmission...
- Dihydroartemisinin inactivates NF-kappaB and potentiates the anti-tumor effect of gemcitabine on pancreatic cancer both in vitro and in vivo
Shuang Jia Wang
Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, PR China
Cancer Lett 293:99-108. 2010
..We concluded that inhibition of gemcitabine-induced NF-kappaB activation is one of the mechanisms that DHA dramatically promotes its anti-tumor effect on pancreatic cancer...
- Determinants of resistance to 2',2'-difluorodeoxycytidine (gemcitabine)
Andries M Bergman
Department of Medical Oncology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Drug Resist Updat 5:19-33. 2002
..this review, we summarize the pre-clinical mechanisms of acquired and inherent resistance to the fluorinated deoxycytidine analog gemcitabine (2',2'-difluorodeoxycytidine, dFdC, Gemzar((R))), which has proven activity in non-small ..
- Randomized, controlled trial of irinotecan plus infusional, bolus, or oral fluoropyrimidines in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: updated results from the BICC-C study
Charles S Fuchs
J Clin Oncol 26:689-90. 2008
- Recent developments in palliative chemotherapy for locally advanced and metastatic pancreas cancer
Division of Hematology Oncology, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, United States
World J Gastroenterol 16:673-82. 2010
..We will also discuss briefly the second-line chemotherapy options for advanced pancreatic cancer...
- CD44-positive cells are responsible for gemcitabine resistance in pancreatic cancer cells
Sung Pil Hong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Cancer 125:2323-31. 2009
- The role of HuR in gemcitabine efficacy in pancreatic cancer: HuR Up-regulates the expression of the gemcitabine metabolizing enzyme deoxycytidine kinase
Christina L Costantino
Department of Surgery, Jefferson Center for Pancreatic, Biliary and Related Cancers, Departments of Pathology and Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer Res 69:4567-72. 2009
..In pancreatic cancer cells, HuR associates with deoxycytidine kinase (dCK) mRNA, which encodes the enzyme that metabolizes and thereby activates gemcitabine...
- Molecular evidence for increased antitumor activity of gemcitabine by genistein in vitro and in vivo using an orthotopic model of pancreatic cancer
Department of Pathology, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 65:9064-72. 2005
- Phase III trial comparing intensive induction chemoradiotherapy (60 Gy, infusional 5-FU and intermittent cisplatin) followed by maintenance gemcitabine with gemcitabine alone for locally advanced unresectable pancreatic cancer. Definitive results of the 2
Department of Oncology, Anticancer Center G F Leclerc, Dijon, France
Ann Oncol 19:1592-9. 2008
..The role of chemoradiation with systemic chemotherapy compared with chemotherapy alone in locally advanced pancreatic cancer (LAPC) is uncertain...
- A double-blind placebo-controlled, randomised study comparing gemcitabine and marimastat with gemcitabine and placebo as first line therapy in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer
S R Bramhall
Department of Surgery, Liver Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
Br J Cancer 87:161-7. 2002
..The combination of marimastat with gemcitabine was well tolerated. Further studies of marimastat as a maintenance treatment following a response or stable disease on gemcitabine may be justified...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in older women with early-stage breast cancer
Hyman B Muss
University of Vermont, Burlington, USA
N Engl J Med 360:2055-65. 2009
..We tested for the noninferiority of capecitabine as compared with standard chemotherapy in women with breast cancer who were 65 years of age or older...
- Cellular pharmacology of gemcitabine
Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Ann Oncol 17:v7-12. 2006
Gemcitabine (2',2'-difluoro 2'-deoxycytidine, dFdC) is the most important cytidine analogue developed since cytosine arabinoside (Ara-C)...
- Predicting the chemosensitivity of pancreatic cancer cells by quantifying the expression levels of genes associated with the metabolism of gemcitabine and 5-fluorouracil
Department of Surgery and Oncology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Int J Oncol 39:473-82. 2011
..05). In conclusion, pancreatic cancer cells showed no cross-resistance to GEM and 5-FU. Quantitative analyses of RRM1, TP, DPD and TS mRNA levels in pancreatic cancer cells may be useful for predicting their sensitivity to GEM and 5-FU...
- Chemoradiotherapy for unresectable pancreatic cancer
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan Medical Center, UH B2C490 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109 0010, USA
Int J Clin Oncol 13:121-6. 2008
..While it is clear that breakthroughs in treatment would come mostly from advances in systemic therapy, the evidence suggests that radiotherapy should not fall out of use, but rather be intensified...