Genomes and Genes
beta subunit thyrotropin
Summary: The beta subunit of thyroid stimulating hormone, thyrotropin. It is a 112-amino acid glycopolypeptide of about 16 kD. Full biological activity of TSH requires the non-covalently bound heterodimers of an alpha and a beta subunit.
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Pituitary-thyroid setpoint and thyrotropin receptor expression in consomic ratsLars C Moeller
Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Endocrinology 148:4727-33. 2007..These strains of rat provide a model to study the cis- and trans-acting factors underlying the difference in TSHR expression...
- Thyroid-hormone-dependent negative regulation of thyrotropin beta gene by thyroid hormone receptors: study with a new experimental system using CV1 cellsKeiko Nakano
Second Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Biochem J 378:549-57. 2004..The dominant-negative effects of various receptor mutants measured on the TSHbeta-CAT reporter were not simple mirror images of those in the positive regulation under physiological T3 concentration...
- Compound heterozygous and homozygous mutations of the TSHbeta gene as a cause of congenital central hypothyroidism in EuropeBeate Karges
University Children s Hospital, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Horm Res 62:149-55. 2004..Thyroid hormones are crucial for normal growth and central nervous system development. In recent years, germline variants of the TSHbeta subunit gene have been identified as a cause of congenital TSH deficiency...
- Four new cases of congenital secondary hypothyroidism due to a splice site mutation in the thyrotropin-beta gene: phenotypic variability and founder effectGuntram Borck
Children s Hospital of the Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4136-41. 2004....
- Simultaneous changes in central and peripheral components of the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in lipopolysaccharide-induced acute illness in miceA Boelen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, F5 171, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Endocrinol 182:315-23. 2004..Serum T(3) and T(4) fell only after 24 h. Our results suggested almost simultaneous involvement of the whole HPT axis in the downregulation of thyroid hormone metabolism during acute illness...
- Human alpha-subunit analogs act as partial agonists to the thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor: differential effects of free and yoked subunitsKrassimira Angelova
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Life Sciences Building, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Endocrine 24:25-31. 2004....
- Vitamin A repletion in rats with concurrent vitamin A and iodine deficiency affects pituitary TSHbeta gene expression and reduces thyroid hyperstimulation and thyroid sizeRalf Biebinger
Human Nutrition Laboratory, Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
J Nutr 137:573-7. 2007..In concurrent VAD and ID, VAS, independent of iodine repletion, reduces thyroid hyperstimulation and size, an effect likely mediated through the effects of VA on pituitary TSHbeta gene expression...
- Expression and hypophysiotropic actions of corticotropin-releasing factor in Xenopus laevisGraham C Boorse
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 137:272-82. 2004..laevis as in other vertebrates. Furthermore, we provide evidence for a dual hypophysiotropic action of CRF on the thyroid and interrenal axes in X. laevis as has been shown previously in other amphibian species...
- Increased receptor binding by bovine (b) TSH bound to monoclonal antibody to bTSHbeta-subunitYukio Ochi
Research Institute for Production Development, Shimogamo, Kyoto, Japan
Endocr J 55:105-11. 2008..The increased TSHR binding and the decreased cAMP production by bTSH bound to MoAbs may be due to the conformational change of TSH molecule or TSHR by binding of both bTSH and MoAb...
- Expression of hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis related genes in the human skinAndrzej Slominski
Departments of Pathology, and Surgery, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Invest Dermatol 119:1449-55. 2002..We conclude that the expanding list of neuroendocrine elements expressed in the skin supports a strong role for this system in cutaneous biology...
- Gene expression profiling during cellular differentiation in the embryonic pituitary gland using cDNA microarraysLaura E Ellestad
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Physiol Genomics 25:414-25. 2006....
- Effects of long-term treatment with resveratrol and subcutaneous and oral estradiol administration on the pituitary-thyroid-axisM Bottner
Department of Anatomy, University of Lubeck, Lubeck, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 114:82-90. 2006..In all animals, we could not detect changes in thyroid morphology as assessed by hematoxylin-eosin (HE) and Perjod-Acid Schiff's (PAS) staining...
- Differential expression of thyroid-stimulating hormone beta subunit in gonads during sex reversal of orange-spotted and red-spotted groupersYang Wang
State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Wuhan Center for Developmental Biology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430072, China
Mol Cell Endocrinol 220:77-88. 2004..akaara. Importantly, the TSHbeta identification in germ cells allows us to further investigate the functional roles and the molecular mechanisms in gametogenesis of groupers, especially in sex reversal and in spermatogenesis...
- Novel TSHbeta subunit gene mutation causing congenital central hypothyroidism in a newborn maleAlba E Morales
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 17:355-9. 2004..State screening programs that measure both T4 and TSH levels have the potential to detect newborns with congenital central hypothyroidism...
- Cloning of the cDNA for thyroid stimulating hormone beta subunit and changes in activity of the pituitary-thyroid axis during silvering of the Japanese eel, Anguilla japonicaY-S Han
Institute of Zoology, College of Science, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Mol Endocrinol 32:179-94. 2004..The serum thyroxine levels also increased in parallel with TSH beta mRNA expression during silvering, supporting the hypothesis that the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis is correlated to silvering in the wild female Japanese eels...
- A systematic immunohistochemical survey of the distribution patterns of GH, prolactin, somatolactin, beta-TSH, beta-FSH, beta-LH, ACTH, and alpha-MSH in the adenohypophysis of Oreochromis niloticus, the Nile tilapiaRomano Silvio Kasper
Division of Neuroendocrinology, Institute of Anatomy, , Winterthurerstrasse 190, , CH-8057, Switzerland
Cell Tissue Res 325:303-13. 2006..This cross-reactivity was abolished by pre-absorption. We present a complete map of the distinct localisation sites for the classical pituitary hormones, thereby providing a solid basis for future research on teleost pituitary...
- Pituitary tumors arising from glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit-deficient mice contain transcription factors and receptors present in thyrotropesVirginia D Sarapura
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80045, USA
Pituitary 9:11-8. 2006..The overall similarity between the two tumor types renders the alphaSUnull tumor as a suitable thyrotropic tumor model...
- micro-Crystallin as an intracellular 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine holder in vivoSatoru Suzuki
Department of Aging Medicine and Geriatrics, Institute on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University, Graduate School of Medicine, 3 1 1, Asahi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 21:885-94. 2007..These data suggest that because of rapid T(3) turnover, disruption of the CRYM gene decreases T(3) concentrations in tissues and serum without alteration of peripheral T(3) action in vivo...
- Ontogeny of pituitary thyrotrophs and regulation by endogenous thyroid hormone feedback in the chick embryoMichael Muchow
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Endocrinol 184:407-16. 2005....
- Photorefractoriness in mammals: dissociating a seasonal timer from the circadian-based photoperiod responseGerald A Lincoln
The Queen s Medical Research Instiute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, Scotland, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 146:3782-90. 2005..Under constant photoperiod the two timers can dissociate, leading to the apparent refractory state...
- Thyroid hormone receptor-specific interactions with steroid receptor coactivator-1 in the pituitaryPeter M Sadow
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mol Endocrinol 17:882-94. 2003..We conclude that SRC-1 action in the pituitary mediates TH action via specific TR subtypes...
- Induction of GH, PRL, and TSH beta mRNA by transfection of Pit-1 in a human pituitary adenoma-derived cell lineShunsuke Miyai
Department of Pathology, Tokai University School of Medicine, Bohseidai Isehara Campus, Kanagawa 259 1193, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 322:269-77. 2005....
- [Progress on pituitary-specific transcription factor (POU1F1) in poultry]Run Shen Jiang
College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100094, China
Yi Chuan 26:957-61. 2004..Considering the biological importance of POU1F1 and the results got in our research, we suggested that Pit-1 be a candidate gene for growth, egg laying and broodiness research in poultry...
- Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of the cDNA encoding thyroid-stimulating hormone beta-subunit of common duck and mule duck pituitaries: in vitro regulation of steady-state TSHbeta mRNA levelYa Lun Hsieh
Endocrinology Laboratory, Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 146:307-17. 2007..The results may suggest that glucocorticoids exert suppressive action directly at pituitary level in modulation of steady-state TSHbeta mRNA level...
- Development of thyroid-stimulating hormone beta subunit-producing cells in the chicken embryonic pituitary glandKazuaki Nakamura
Department of Regulation Biology, Faculty of Science, Saitama University, Sakura, Saitama, Japan
Cells Tissues Organs 177:21-8. 2004....
- Cloning of the elk TSH beta-subunit cDNA and seasonal expression of the pituitary glycoprotein hormone genesRena J Clark
Department of Veterinary Biomedical Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
J Reprod Dev 51:385-92. 2005..Samples collected before the breeding season demonstrated decreased expression of the gonadotropin genes. TSH, which is not directly tied to reproduction, had similar levels of expression, regardless of the animal's reproductive status...
- MT1 melatonin receptor mRNA expressing cells in the pars tuberalis of the European hamster: effect of photoperiodH Dardente
Neurobiologie des Rythmes, UMR 7518 CNRS/ULP, Strasbourg, France
J Neuroendocrinol 15:778-86. 2003..Together, our data suggest that melatonin exerts its seasonal effects in the PT by signalling to PT specific-cells through the MT1 receptor subtype...
- In vitro effects of mammalian leptin, neuropeptide-Y, beta-endorphin and galanin on transcript levels of thyrotropin beta and common alpha subunit mRNAs in the pituitary of bighead carp (aristichthys nobilis)I Chowdhury
Institute of Zoology, Academia Sinica, Endocrinology Laboratory, No. 128, Sec. 2, Academic Rd, Nan, Taipei, Taiwan 115, ROC
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 139:87-98. 2004..The results suggest that endogenous TRH, leptin, NPY, beta-endorphin and galanin may modulate transcript levels of TSHbeta and alpha-subunits in pituitary of bighead carp...
- Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of multiple cDNA variants for thyroid-stimulating hormone beta subunit (TSHbeta) in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)Sean C Lema
Physiology and Endocrinology Program, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, NOAA Fisheries, 2725 Montlake Boulevard East, Seattle, WA 98112, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 155:472-80. 2008..Sequencing of this gene revealed a hairpin loop structure of approximately 300-bp located in the 3' UTR and corresponding to the region of the 332-bp deletion in the 818-bp transcript...
- Activation of the thyroid-stimulating hormone beta-subunit gene by LIM homeodomain transcription factor Lhx2Kee K Kim
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Biotechnology, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Korea
Endocrinology 148:3468-76. 2007..These results provide multiple lines of evidence consistent with a role for Lhx2 in modulating expression of the TSH beta-subunit gene...
- Characterization of a novel set of resident intrathyroidal bone marrow-derived hematopoietic cells: potential for immune-endocrine interactions in thyroid homeostasisJohn R Klein
Department of Basic Sciences, Dental Branch, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Exp Biol 207:55-65. 2004..These findings define a novel bone marrow-derived hematopoietic cell population that resides in the thyroid of normal mice, which may have a unique role in the microregulation of thyroid physiology and homeostasis...
- [Congenital hypothyroidism]Kazumichi Onigata
Department of Pediatrics and Developmental Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 63:105-10. 2005
- Congenital thyrotropin deficiency--from discovery to molecular biology, postgenome and preventive medicineKiyoshi Miyai
Osaka University (Professor Emeritus, Osaka, Japan
Endocr J 54:191-203. 2007
- Redefining the limits of day length responsiveness in a seasonal mammalGabriela C Wagner
School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 149:32-9. 2008..This adaptive mechanism may be related to the latitude of origin and the timing of the seasonal transitions...
- Essential role of GATA2 in the negative regulation of thyrotropin beta gene by thyroid hormone and its receptorsAkio Matsushita
Second Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 431 3192, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 21:865-84. 2007....
- [Central hypothyroidism]Takayuki Ogiwara
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 63:93-8. 2005
- Congenital isolated central hypothyroidism caused by a "hot spot" mutation in the thyrotropin-beta geneMichael T McDermott
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Thyroid 12:1141-6. 2002..quot;..
- Thyrotropin-releasing hormone-stimulated thyrotropin expression involves islet-brain-1/c-Jun N-terminal kinase interacting protein-1Hiroshi Abe
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Endocrinology 145:5623-8. 2004..This effect is not found in the presence of a mutated nonfunctional (IB1S59N) IB1/JIP-1 protein. Together, these facts point to a central role of the IB1/JIP-1 protein in the control of TRH-mediated TSH-beta stimulation...
- Gene symbol: TSH B. Disease: congenital hypothyroidismA Sertedaki
First Department of Pediatrics, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Hum Genet 115:174. 2004
- Receptor-selective determinants in catfish gonadotropin seat-belt loopsHenry F Vischer
Department of Endocrinology, Utrecht University, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Endocrinol 224:55-63. 2004....
- Clinical manifestations of genetic defects affecting gonadotrophins and their receptorsG S Conway
Department of Medicine, University College London Medical School, Middlesex Hospital, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 45:657-63. 1996..Thus, while mutation analysis provides new insights into the gender specific role of the gonadotrophins the cause of early gonadal failure in the majority of individuals remains a mystery...
- Gene expression by the anterior pituitary gland: effects of age and caloric restrictionHaolin Chen
Division of Reproductive Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 222:21-31. 2004..The fact that fewer than 30% genes derived benefit also suggests that the effect of caloric restriction is rather limit, which is consistent with the thesis that caloric restriction may slow, but not prevent, the aging process...
- Expression of the gene for the beta subunit of mouse thyrotropin results in multiple mRNAs differing in their 5'-untranslated regionsO Wolf
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021
J Biol Chem 262:16596-603. 1987..Each start site in the mouse gene is flanked by characteristic TATAA box and CAAT box sequences.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)..
- Central hypothyroidism associated with retinoid X receptor-selective ligandsS I Sherman
Section of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 340:1075-9. 1999....
- Substitution of the seat-belt region of the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) beta-subunit with the corresponding regions of choriogonadotropin or follitropin confers luteotropic but not follitropic activity to chimeric TSHM Grossmann
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine and the Institute of Human Virology, Medical Biotechnology Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 272:15532-40. 1997..In contrast, the seat-belt appears not to discriminate between the TSH and the FSH receptors, indicating for the first time that domains outside the seat-belt region contribute to glycoprotein hormone specificity...
- Development of radioimmunoassay for bullfrog thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH): effects of hypothalamic releasing hormones on the release of TSH from the pituitary in vitroReiko Okada
Department of Biology, School of Education, Waseda University, Nishiwaseda 1 6 1, Shinjuku ku, 169 8050, Tokyo, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 135:42-50. 2004....
- Neonatal thyroid disordersAnnette Gruters
Department of Paediatric Endocrinology, Charite Children s Hospital, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Horm Res 59:24-9. 2003....
- Effects of starvation and refeeding on gonadotropin and thyrotropin subunit mRNAs in male Japanese quailMasaki Kobayashi
Department of Biology, School of Education, Waseda University, Tokyo 169 8050, Japan
Zoolog Sci 19:449-61. 2002..The remarkable change in hepatic weight leads us to assume that hepatic thyroid hormone metabolism is affected by starvation and re-feeding...
- Dominant inheritance of resistance to thyroid hormone not linked to defects in the thyroid hormone receptor alpha or beta genes may be due to a defective cofactorR E Weiss
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:4196-203. 1996..An abnormal cofactor with a specific function in the regulation of thyroid hormone action is probably involved in the expression of the RTH phenotype in this family...
- Steroid receptor coactivator-1 deficiency causes variable alterations in the modulation of T(3)-regulated transcription of genes in vivoYoko Takeuchi
Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Endocrinology 143:1346-52. 2002..SRC-1 appears to be involved not only in transcriptional activation by liganded TRs, but also in the suppression by liganded or unliganded TRs. Some of the effects of SRC-1 may be TR isoform specific...
- A homozygous deletion in the c-erbA beta thyroid hormone receptor gene in a patient with generalized thyroid hormone resistance: isolation and characterization of the mutant receptorS J Usala
Department of Medicine, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina 27858 4354
Mol Endocrinol 5:327-35. 1991..Kindred S showed the effect in man of heterozygous and homozygous expression of a dominant negative form of c-erbA beta...
- Food restriction differentially affects pituitary hormone mRNAs throughout the adult life span of male F344 ratsE S Han
Department of Physiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Nutr 131:1687-93. 2001....
- A thyrotrope-specific variant of Pit-1 transactivates the thyrotropin beta promoterB R Haugen
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262
J Biol Chem 268:20818-24. 1993..These data suggest that Pit-1T is a thyrotrope-specific splice variant of Pit-1 that is required for TSH beta promoter stimulation; furthermore, both Pit-1 and Pit-1T are required for TSH beta promoter activity in thyrotrope cells...
- Human follicle-stimulating hormone beta-subunit gene encodes multiple messenger ribonucleic acidsJ L Jameson
Thyroid Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Mol Endocrinol 2:806-15. 1988..The distribution of different FSH beta mRNAs is similar in normal human pituitary tissue and several different FSH producing pituitary adenomas...
- Simultaneous effect of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) on the expression of two gonadotropin beta genes by passive immunization to GnRHY Kato
Hormone Assay Center, Gunma University, Japan
Mol Cell Endocrinol 62:135-9. 1989..0-fold for alpha, 1.2-fold for LH beta and 1.1-fold for FSH beta relative to the respective control values. These results showed that the two gonadotropin beta genes respond more rapidly to GnRH action that the common alpha gene...
- A nuclear factor that enhances binding of thyroid hormone receptors to thyroid hormone response elementsJ Burnside
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Biol Chem 265:2500-4. 1990..These data suggest that the binding of the T3 receptor to a TRE is augmented by another nuclear protein, which may be involved in the mechanism of action of thyroid hormone...
- Thyroid hormone resistance and increased metabolic rate in the RXR-gamma-deficient mouseN S Brown
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Clin Invest 106:73-9. 2000....
- N-terminal variants of thyroid hormone receptor beta: differential function and potential contribution to syndrome of resistance to thyroid hormoneL Ng
Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, New Jersey 07110, USA
Mol Endocrinol 9:1202-13. 1995....
- Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction analysis of pituitary hormone, Pit-1 and steroidogenic factor-1 messenger RNA expression in pituitary tumorsM T McDermott
Division of Endocrinology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
Pituitary 2:217-24. 1999..Combined analysis of hormone and transcription factor mRNA in pituitary tumor tissue may therefore be a more meaningful approach to pituitary tumor characterization...
- Nuclear receptor corepressors activate rather than suppress basal transcription of genes that are negatively regulated by thyroid hormoneT Tagami
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Mol Cell Biol 17:2642-8. 1997..Addition of T3 reverses basal activation, perhaps by dissociation of CoRs...
- Ultrastructural characteristics of TSH-producing adenomas with special reference to its close similarity to BFA-treated pituitary adenoma cellsH Ikeda
Department of Neurosurgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Pituitary 1:221-6. 1999..These ultrastructural similarities between TSH cell adenoma and BFA-treated pituitary adenoma cells indicate the functional disturbances in the secretory passage through the Golgi apparatus in TSH cell adenoma cells...
- Cloning of cDNAs encoding the three pituitary glycoprotein hormone beta subunit precursor molecules in the Japanese toad, Bufo japonicusYuta Komoike
Department of Biology, School of Education, Waseda University, 1 6 1 Nishi Waseda, Shinjuku, Tokyo 169 8050, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 132:333-47. 2003....
- Expression of an orphan nuclear receptor DAX-1 in human pituitary adenomasS Ikuyama
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 48:647-54. 1998..CONCLUSIONS: The results shown here indicate that DAX-1 is expressed in the majority of human pituitary adenomas of gonadotrophic origin in parallel with Adrenal-4-binding protein/steroidogenic factor-1...
- Dominant inhibition of thyroid hormone action selectively in the pituitary of thyroid hormone receptor-beta null mice abolishes the regulation of thyrotropin by thyroid hormoneE Dale Abel
Division of Endocrinology, University of Utah School of Medicine, 15 North 2030 East, Building 533, Room 3410B, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Mol Endocrinol 17:1767-76. 2003....
- Spatio-temporal expression of TSH beta and FSH beta genes in normally metamorphosing, metamorphosed, and metamorphosis-arrested Hynobius retardatusK Kanki
Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0810, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 119:276-86. 2000..retardatus...
- Expression of biologically active human follitropin in Chinese hamster ovary cellsJ L Keene
Department of Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
J Biol Chem 264:4769-75. 1989..Human FSH produced by this cell line provides a source of bioactive FSH for experimental and clinical use...
- The human thyrotropin beta-subunit gene differs in 5' structure from murine TSH-beta genesP T Guidon
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021
DNA 7:691-9. 1988..By isolating the promoter region of the hTSH-beta gene, we can begin to identify specific sequences involved in the regulation of hTSH gene expression...
- Review: molecular thyroidologyW E Winter
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville 32610 0275, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 31:221-44. 2001....
- Expression of the beta-subunit gene of murine thyrotropin results in multiple messenger ribonucleic acid species which are generated by alternative exon splicingW M Wood
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262
Mol Endocrinol 1:875-83. 1987..In the hypothyroid state, transcripts initiated at the upstream site were considerably less abundant than those initiated at the downstream site. Transcription from both start sites was inhibited by thyroid hormone in both mice and rats...
- Isolation and characterization of the human thyrotropin beta-subunit gene. Differences in gene structure and promoter function from murine speciesF E Wondisford
Molecular, Cellular and Nutritional Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Biol Chem 263:12538-42. 1988..Thus, while alternative exon splicing and differential start site utilization in response to thyroid hormone may be important in the regulation of murine thyrotropin beta-subunit genes, they are not found in man...
- A zinc finger homeodomain transcription factor binds specific thyroid hormone response elementsD S Darling
Department of Biological and Biophysical Sciences, University of Louisville, School of Dentistry, Kentucky 40292, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 139:25-35. 1998..Interactions of non-receptor transcription factors (such as Zfhep) with certain TREs are important to modify gene-specific regulation by thyroid hormones...
- Testosterone increases TSH-beta mRNA, and modulates alpha-subunit mRNA differentially in mouse thyrotropic tumor and castrate rat pituitaryD S Ross
Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Horm Metab Res 22:163-9. 1990..Total" TSH-beta and alpha-subunit concentrations were estimated as one-half of intact TSH plus the respective free subunit concentration.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Hyperplastic pituitary gland, high serum glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit, and variable circulating thyrotropin (TSH) levels as hallmark of central hypothyroidism due to mutations of the TSH beta geneM Bonomi
Institute of Endocrine Sciences, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore Istituto de Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1600-4. 2001..In conclusion, high circulating free glycoprotein alpha-subunit levels, variable TSH levels, and, possibly, hyperplastic pituitary gland are the hallmark of ICH due to mutations of the TSH beta gene...
- A single-chain tetradomain glycoprotein hormone analog elicits multiple hormone activities in vivoVicenta Garcia-Campayo
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biol Reprod 72:301-8. 2005..Our results establish the permissiveness and conformational plasticity with which the glycoprotein hormones are recognized in vivo by their target cell receptors...
- TEF, a transcription factor expressed specifically in the anterior pituitary during embryogenesis, defines a new class of leucine zipper proteinsD W Drolet
Eukaryotic Regulatory Biology Program, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0648
Genes Dev 5:1739-53. 1991..These data are consistent with a role for a member of a new class of bZIP transcription factors in activating gene expression in the developing thyrotroph...
- Overexpression of beta-subunit of thyroid-stimulating hormone in Meishan swine identified by differential displayM D Li
USDA ARS, Roman L Hruska U S Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
J Anim Sci 74:2104-11. 1996....
- Thyrotropin (TSH) beta-subunit gene expression--an example for the complex regulation of pituitary hormone genesH J Steinfelder
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Gottingen, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 105:196-203. 1997..Identification of different mutations in the human pit-1 gene supported the role of this protein for combined pituitary hormone deficiency (CPHD) characterized by the deficiency of GH, prolactin and TSH...
- Dietary exposure to 2,2',4,4'-tetrabromodiphenyl ether (PBDE-47) alters thyroid status and thyroid hormone-regulated gene transcription in the pituitary and brainSean C Lema
Physiology Program, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Seattle, Washington, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1694-9. 2008..Animals exposed to PBDEs may show reduced plasma thyroid hormone (TH), but it is not known whether PBDEs impact TH-regulated pathways in target tissues...
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) deficiency caused by a single base substitution in the CAGYC region of the beta-subunitY Hayashizaki
Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Osaka University, Japan
EMBO J 8:2291-6. 1989..Southern blot hybridization of genomic DNA digested with MaeI showed that the patients were homozygous and their parents were heterozygous for the mutation. This test was also used to examine other family members for the disease...
- Involvement of thyrotropin in photoperiodic signal transduction in miceHiroko Ono
Laboratory of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Furo cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18238-42. 2008..Taken together, our findings suggest that melatonin-dependent regulation of thyroid hormone levels in the MBH appears to involve TSH in mammals...
- Differential regulation of nuclear receptors, neuropeptides and peptide hormones in the hypothalamus and pituitary of food restricted ratsJonas Lindblom
Department of Neuroscience, Division of Pharmacology, Box 593 BMC, S 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 133:37-46. 2005..The study provides a map of how food restriction affects the regulation of a number of transcripts involved in neuroendocrine control...
- An LXXLL motif in nuclear receptor corepressor mediates ligand-induced repression of the thyroid stimulating hormone-beta geneKristina Loinder
Division of Cell Biology, Department of Biomedicine and Surgery, Linkoping University, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 97:322-7. 2005..We conclude that N-CoR and TRbeta cooperate in the regulation of the TSHbeta gene and that the ligand-dependent repression is mediated by the LXXLL motif in N-CoR...
- Central hypothyroidismJayaraman Muthukrishnan
Department of Endocrinology, Medwin Hospital, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Pediatr 77:94-6. 2010..This mutation in TSHB gene has been reported earlier in three cases with similar phenotype from Japan...
- Fasting Upregulates PPARalpha Target Genes in Brain and Influences Pituitary Hormone Expression in a PPARalpha Dependent MannerBettina König
Institute of Agricultural and Nutritional Sciences, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
PPAR Res 2009:801609. 2009..For proopiomelanocortin and thyrotropin-beta, genotype-specific differences in pituitary mRNA concentrations were observed. Thus, PPARalpha seems to be involved in transcriptional regulation of pituitary hormones...
- Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of a cDNA encoding pituitary thyroid stimulating hormone beta-subunit of the Chinese soft-shell turtle Pelodiscus sinensis and regulation of its gene expressionJung-Tsun Chien
Endocrinology Laboratory, Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei 115, Taiwan, ROC
Gen Comp Endocrinol 146:74-82. 2006..The sequences of cDNA and its deduced peptide of TSHbeta as well as the regulation of its mRNA level were reported for the first time in reptile...
- Molecular mechanisms underlying sex change in hermaphroditic groupersLi Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Wuhan Center for Developmental Biology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430072, China
Fish Physiol Biochem 36:181-93. 2010..Based on the findings, a hypothetic molecular mechanism underlying sex change is proposed in the hermaphroditic groupers, and some candidate genes related to the grouper sex change are also suggested for further research...
- Two novel mutations of the TSH-beta subunit gene underlying congenital central hypothyroidism undetectable in neonatal TSH screeningMaria Sonia Baquedano
Servicio de Endocrinologia, Hospital de Pediatria Garrahan, Buenos Aires C1245AAM, Argentina
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:E98-103. 2010..Patients with TSH-beta subunit defects and congenital hypothyroidism are missed by TSH-based neonatal screening...
- The 26-amino acid beta-motif of the Pit-1beta transcription factor is a dominant and independent repressor domainMatthew D Jonsen
University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Center, P O Box 6511, Mail Stop 8106, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Mol Endocrinol 23:1371-84. 2009....
- A novel thyroid stimulating hormone beta-subunit isoform in human pituitary, peripheral blood leukocytes, and thyroidJeremy S Schaefer
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, Dental Branch, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 162:241-4. 2009..These findings identify an unknown splice variant of human TSHbeta. They also have implications for immune-endocrine interactions in the thyroid and for understanding autoimmune thyroid disease from a new perspective...
- MED220/thyroid receptor-associated protein 220 functions as a transcriptional coactivator with Pit-1 and GATA-2 on the thyrotropin-beta promoter in thyrotropesDavid F Gordon
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center Fitzsimons, Mail Stop 8106, P O Box 6511, Aurora, Colorado 80049, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1073-89. 2006..Thus, the TSHbeta gene is maximally activated by a combination of three thyrotrope transcription factors that act via both protein-DNA and protein-protein interactions...
- Initially elevated TSH and congenital central hypothyroidism due to a homozygous mutation of the TSH beta subunit gene: case report and review of the literatureC J Partsch
Klinik fur Kinder und Jugendliche, Städtische Kliniken Esslingen, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 114:227-34. 2006..We conclude that depending on the assay system variable TSH serum levels in individuals with mutations in the TSHB gene may complicate the diagnostic workup...
- Increasing plasma thyroxine levels during late embryogenesis and hatching in the chicken are not caused by an increased sensitivity of the thyrotropes to hypothalamic stimulationBert De Groef
Laboratory of Comparative Endocrinology, K U Leuven, Naamsestraat 61, B3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Endocrinol 189:271-8. 2006....
- Expression of sodium-iodide symporter mRNA in the thyroid gland of Xenopus laevis tadpoles: developmental expression, effects of antithyroidal compounds, and regulation by TSHRobert Opitz
Department of Inland Fisheries, Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Mueggelseedamm 310, D-12587 Berlin, Germany
J Endocrinol 190:157-70. 2006..laevis tadpoles...
- The chicken pituitary-specific transcription factor PIT-1 is involved in the hypothalamic regulation of pituitary hormonesP Van As
Division of Livestock Nutrition Quality, Department of Biosystems, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 30, B 3001, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Vet Hung 54:455-71. 2006..TRH affected both the GH and TSHbeta mRNA levels. The results of this in vitro study reveal that ggPit-1 * has a role in mediating the stimulatory effects of TRH on pituitary hormones like GH and TSHbeta in the chicken pituitary...
- Evaluation of histological and molecular endpoints for enhanced detection of thyroid system disruption in Xenopus laevis tadpolesRobert Opitz
Department of Inland Fisheries, Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, D-12587 Berlin, Germany
Toxicol Sci 90:337-48. 2006....
- Thyroid hormones down-regulate thyrotropin beta subunit and thyroglobulin during metamorphosis in the flatfish Senegalese sole (Solea senegalensis Kaup)Manuel Manchado
IFAPA Centro El Toruño, Junta de Andalucia, Camino Tiro de pichón s n, 11500 El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Spain
Gen Comp Endocrinol 155:447-55. 2008..Moreover, the TU+T4 treated larvae exhibited similar or lower mRNA levels than in the control. Present results demonstrate that TH mediate metamorphosis and down-regulate TSH beta and Tg at transcriptional level in Senegalese sole...
- Diurnal change of thyroid-stimulating hormone mRNA expression in the rat pars tuberalisS Aizawa
Graduate School of Science and Engineering Division of Life Science, Area of Regulatory Biology, Saitama University, Saitama, Japan
J Neuroendocrinol 19:839-46. 2007..These findings results clearly show that there are diurnal changes in TSH expression and accumulation in rat PT-TSH cells and suggest that these fluctuations are regulated by melatonin...
- A growth hormone-secreting adenoma with incomplete nerve bundle formationHidetoshi Ikeda
Department of Neurosurgery, Ohara Medical Center Hospital, Fukushima, Japan
Neuropathology 28:317-21. 2008..Our case is the first GH-secreting pituitary adenoma showing incomplete nerve bundle differentiation and lacking mature ganglion cells...
- The PIT1 gene polymorphisms were associated with chicken growth traitsQinghua Nie
Department of Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction, College of Animal Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, Guangdong, China
BMC Genet 9:20. 2008..In this study, five reported polymorphisms (MR1-MR5) of the PIT1 gene were genotyped in a full sib F2 resource population to evaluate their effects on growth, carcass and fatty traits in chickens...
- Thyrotrophin in the pars tuberalis triggers photoperiodic responseNobuhiro Nakao
Division of Biomodelling, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Furo cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Nature 452:317-22. 2008..Increased TSH in the pars tuberalis therefore seems to trigger long-day photoinduced seasonal breeding...
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (Aroclor 1254) do not uniformly produce agonist actions on thyroid hormone responses in the developing rat brainRuby Bansal
Department of Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Endocrinology 149:4001-8. 2008..However, neither did PCBs mimic T(4) in hypothyroid animals on all end points measured. Thus, PCBs exert a complex action on TH signaling in the developing brain...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF THYROID HORMONE ACTIONFredric Wondisford; Fiscal Year: 2009..The effect of this mutation on both positive and negative T3 regulation will be determined in vivo. Study of other animal models, where co-repressor function has been altered, is also planned in this aim. ..
- THYROID PHYSIOLOGY STUDIES OF INHERITED DISORDERSSamuel Refetoff; Fiscal Year: 2000..Somatic gene transfer of mutant thyroid hormone receptors will be performed, and the transgenic mice outbred to examine the effects on phenotypicexpression of the thyroid hormone resistance. ..
- THYROTROPIN BETA SUBUNIT GENE TRANSCRIPTION FACTORSE Ridgway; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will provide new fundamental knowledge on the structural interactions between multiple classes of transcription factors and the impact of these interactions on normal physiology. ..
- THYROTROPIN BETA SUBUNIT GENE TRANSCRIPTION FACTORSELI RIDGWAY; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will provide new fundamental knowledge on the structural interactions between multiple classes of transcription factors and the impact of these interactions on normal physiology. ..
- REGULATION OF TSH SUBUNIT GENE EXPRESSIONE Ridgway; Fiscal Year: 1991..These studies will provide fundamental information on TSH regulation that is directly applicable to other pituitary hormone genes...
- THYROTROPIN BETA SUBUNIT GENE TRANSCRIPTION FACTORSE Ridgway; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will provide new fundamental knowledge on the structural interactions between different classes of transcription factors and the impact of these interactions on normal physiology. ..
- ABNORMAL GENE EXPRESSION IN A MURINE A-SUBUNIT SECRETINGE Ridgway; Fiscal Year: 1990..Knowledge gained on the regulation of this tumor's alpha-subunit production may contribute substantive information on pathogenetic mechanisms as well as the treatment of human pituitary and non-pituitary neoplasms...
- Insulin resistance and cardiac dysfunction in obesityEVAN ABEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide a detailed and comprehensive analysis of the role that abnormal myocardial insulin signaling plays in the pathogenesis of cardiac dysfunction in obesity. ..
- Nuclear cofactors in Human Thyroid DiseaseRoy Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..3) Determine the cause for hypersensitivity to TH. This will allow clinicians to better identify factors influencing thyroid function. ..
- Antioxidant Defense System and Leydig Cell AgingHaolin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- THYROID HORMONE REGULATION OF MOUSE SOMATOSTATIN TYPE 5WHITNEY WOODMANSEE; Fiscal Year: 2004..The institution and her mentors provide a supportive setting for her to flourish as a physician- scientist. ..
- GUT-DERIVED IMMUNE EFFECTOR CELLSJohn Klein; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- GUT DERIVED IMMUNE EFFECTOR CELLSJohn Klein; Fiscal Year: 2003..Phenotypic analyses will be done using lymphocytes from gastrointestinal inflammatory sites, and characterization of hormone-activated regulatory and effector cells will be identified through adoptive transfer experiments. ..
- GUT-DERIVED IMMUNE EFFECTOR CELLSJohn R Klein; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will use in vitro approaches and in vivo gene therapy strategies to explore the involvement of Roquin, under the influence of IL-10, in the control of colonic IL-17 expression. ..
- Role of CRH in skin physiology and pathologyAndrzej Slominski; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., melanocytes and keratinocytes, and test the role of CRH/CRH-R1 axis in the regulation of human hair growth. ..