Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pancreatic peptide hormone of about 29 amino acids secreted by PANCREATIC ALPHA CELLS. It has an important role in regulation of BLOOD GLUCOSE concentration, ketone metabolism, and several other biochemical and physiological processes. (From Gilman et al., Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 9th ed, p1511)
Publications245 found, 100 shown here
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 augments insulin-mediated glucose uptake in the obese stateJosephine M Egan
Diabetes Section, Laboratory of Clinical Investigation, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3768-73. 2002The insulinotropic hormone, glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), is being examined as a potential new agent for treatment in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Glycemic control in mice with targeted disruption of the glucagon receptor geneJanice C Parker
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton Laboratories, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290:839-43. 2002The action of glucagon in the liver is mediated by G-coupled receptors. To examine the role of glucagon in glucose homeostasis, we have generated mice in which the glucagon receptor was inactivated (GR(-/-) mice)...
- Human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells differentiate into insulin, somatostatin, and glucagon expressing cellsKatharina Timper
Department of Research, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:1135-40. 2006..Using quantitative PCR a down-regulation of ABCG2 and up-regulation of pancreatic developmental transcription factors Isl-1, Ipf-1, and Ngn3 were observed together with induction of the islet hormones insulin, glucagon, and somatostatin.
- Insulin signaling in alpha cells modulates glucagon secretion in vivoDan Kawamori
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell Metab 9:350-61. 2009b>Glucagon plays an important role in glucose homeostasis by regulating hepatic glucose output in both normo- and hypoglycemic conditions...
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 can directly protect the heart against ischemia/reperfusion injuryAmal K Bose
The Hatter Institute for Cardiovascular Studies, University College London Hospital and Medical School, Grafton Way, London WC1E, UK
Diabetes 54:146-51. 2005b>Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), a gut incretin hormone that stimulates insulin secretion, also activates antiapoptotic signaling pathways such as phosphoinositide 3-kinase and mitogen-activated protein kinase in pancreatic and insulinoma ..
- Effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 on endothelial function in type 2 diabetes patients with stable coronary artery diseaseThomas Nystrom
Dept of Internal Medicine, Stockholm South Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm SE 118 83, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287:E1209-15. 2004GLP-1 stimulates insulin secretion, suppresses glucagon secretion, delays gastric emptying, and inhibits small bowel motility, all actions contributing to the anti-diabetogenic peptide effect...
- Glutamate is a positive autocrine signal for glucagon releaseOver Cabrera
Diabetes Research Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Cell Metab 7:545-54. 2008An important feature of glucose homeostasis is the effective release of glucagon from the pancreatic alpha cell. The molecular mechanisms regulating glucagon secretion are still poorly understood...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 promotes islet cell growth and inhibits apoptosis in Zucker diabetic ratsLoredana Farilla
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Endocrinology 143:4397-408. 2002..In this study, we investigated the effect of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in Zucker diabetic rats, an animal model in which the onset of diabetes occurs when the ..
- Production of functional glucagon-secreting α-cells from human embryonic stem cellsAlireza Rezania
BetaLogics Venture, Centocor Research and Development, Skillman, New Jersey, USA
Diabetes 60:239-47. 2011..Here we describe an efficient differentiation protocol for the in vitro conversion of hES cells to functional glucagon-producing α- cells.
- Glucagon like peptide-1 is protective against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury when given either as a preconditioning mimetic or at reperfusion in an isolated rat heart modelAmal K Bose
The Hatter Institute and Centre for Cardiology, University College London Hospital and Medical School, London, UK
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 19:9-11. 2005
- Generation of insulin-producing islet-like clusters from human embryonic stem cellsJianjie Jiang
Cell Therapy Research, Geron Corporation, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Stem Cells 25:1940-53. 2007..The hESC-derived ILCs contained 2%-8% human C-peptide-positive cells, as well as glucagon- and somatostatin-positive cells...
- Persistent improvement of type 2 diabetes in the Goto-Kakizaki rat model by expansion of the beta-cell mass during the prediabetic period with glucagon-like peptide-1 or exendin-4Cécile Tourrel
LPPN, CNRS UMR 7059, Universite Paris 7, Paris, France
Diabetes 51:1443-52. 2002..We investigated in GK females the short- and the long-term effects of a treatment with glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) or its long-acting analog exendin-4 (Ex-4) during the first postnatal week (during the ..
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 decreases endogenous amyloid-beta peptide (Abeta) levels and protects hippocampal neurons from death induced by Abeta and ironTracyAnn Perry
Section of Drug Design and Development, Laboratory of Neuroscience, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci Res 72:603-12. 2003b>Glucagon-like peptide-1(7-36)-amide (GLP-1) is an endogenous insulinotropic peptide that is secreted from the gastrointestinal tract in response to food...
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 abolishes the postprandial rise in triglyceride concentrations and lowers levels of non-esterified fatty acids in humansJ J Meier
Department of Medicine I, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Diabetologia 49:452-8. 2006..Exogenous glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) lowers postprandial glycaemia predominantly by slowing gastric emptying...
- Patients with neuroglycopenia after gastric bypass surgery have exaggerated incretin and insulin secretory responses to a mixed mealA B Goldfine
Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4678-85. 2007..The etiology of the syndrome and metabolic characteristics remain incompletely understood. Recent studies suggest that levels of incretin hormones are increased after GB and may promote excessive beta-cell function and/or growth...
- Glutamine potently stimulates glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion from GLUTag cellsF Reimann
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Wellcome Trust MRC Building, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2XY, UK
Diabetologia 47:1592-601. 2004b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and peptide YY (PYY) are secreted from enteroendocrine L cells in response to nutrient ingestion...
- Direct and indirect mechanisms regulating secretion of glucagon-like peptide-1 and glucagon-like peptide-2Patricia L Brubaker
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 81:1005-12. 2003The proglucagon-derived peptide family consists of three highly related peptides, glucagon and the glucagon-like peptides GLP-1 and GLP-2...
- Distribution of pancreatic endocrine cells including IAPP-expressing cells in non-diabetic and type 2 diabetic casesKatsumichi Iki
UNMC Eppley Cancer Center, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 55:111-8. 2007..immunohistochemical study was performed to obtain information on the distribution of cells expressing insulin, glucagon, somatostatin, pancreatic polypeptide (PP), and IAPP in the pancreases of non-diabetic (n=4) and diabetic ..
- Novel use of glucagon in a closed-loop system for prevention of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetesJessica R Castle
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1282-7. 2010To minimize hypoglycemia in subjects with type 1 diabetes by automated glucagon delivery in a closed-loop insulin delivery system.
- Glucagon signaling modulates sweet taste responsivenessAmanda E T Elson
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 20 S Penn St, Rm S251, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
FASEB J 24:3960-9. 2010..We report that glucagon, which plays important roles in the maintenance of glucose homeostasis, enhances sweet taste responsiveness ..
- Divergent tissue-specific and developmental expression of receptors for glucagon and glucagon-like peptide-1 in the mouseR V Campos
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 134:2156-64. 1994..The receptors for two of these peptides, glucagon and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), have recently been identified, but only limited information is available ..
- Glucagon-like peptide-2 inhibits antral emptying in man, but is not as potent as glucagon-like peptide-1C F Nagell
Dept. of Surgical Gastroenterology, Glostrup University Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:353-8. 2004BACKGROUND: GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) and GLP-2 (glucagon-like peptide-2) are released in equimolar amounts in response to meal ingestion...
- Glucagon receptor knockout prevents insulin-deficient type 1 diabetes in miceYoung Lee
Touchstone Center for Diabetes Research, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Diabetes 60:391-7. 2011To determine the role of glucagon action in the metabolic phenotype of untreated insulin deficiency.
- Liver enzymes are associated with hepatic insulin resistance, insulin secretion, and glucagon concentration in healthy men and womenFabrice Bonnet
Service endocrinologie diabétologie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire CHU Rennes, University Rennes 1, Inserm UMR 991, Rennes, France
Diabetes 60:1660-7. 2011..We explored the association of liver enzymes with peripheral and hepatic insulin resistance, insulin secretion, insulin clearance, and glucagon concentration.
- Regulation of the pancreatic pro-endocrine gene neurogenin3J C Lee
Hormone Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Diabetes 50:928-36. 2001..Together with previous genetic data, these results suggest a model in which the ngn3 gene is activated by the coordinated activities of several pancreatic transcription factors and inhibited by Notch signaling through HES1...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 plasmid construction and delivery for the treatment of type 2 diabetesSuna Choi
Center for Controlled Chemical Delivery, Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Utah, 30 South 2000 East, Biochemical Polymer Research Building RM201, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-5820, USA
Mol Ther 12:885-91. 2005b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) is a 30-amino-acid hormone produced by intestinal L cells...
- Characterization and functional role of voltage gated cation conductances in the glucagon-like peptide-1 secreting GLUTag cell lineF Reimann
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, University of Cambridge, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Wellcome Trust MRC Building, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
J Physiol 563:161-75. 2005b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) is released from intestinal L-cells in response to nutrient ingestion. It is currently under therapeutic evaluation because it enhances insulin secretion in type 2 diabetes...
- Glucose suppression of glucagon secretion: metabolic and calcium responses from alpha-cells in intact mouse pancreatic isletsSylvain J Le Marchand
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 285:14389-98. 2010b>Glucagon is released from alpha-cells present in intact pancreatic islets at glucose concentrations below 4 mm, whereas higher glucose levels inhibit its secretion...
- Localization and regulation of glucagon receptors in the chick eye and preproglucagon and glucagon receptor expression in the mouse eyeMarita P Feldkaemper
Section of Neurobiology of the Eye, University Eye Hospital Tuebingen, Calwerstrasse 7 1, 72076, Germany
Exp Eye Res 79:321-9. 2004..that are released by the retina to control axial eye growth in the animal model of the chicken revealed that glucagon-immunoreactive amacrine cells are involved in the retinal image processing that controls the growth of the sclera...
- Mixed-meal tolerance test versus glucagon stimulation test for the assessment of beta-cell function in therapeutic trials in type 1 diabetesCarla J Greenbaum
TrialNet Publications, The Biostatistics Center, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 31:1966-71. 2008..is commonly measured by C-peptide response to a secretagogue in either a mixed-meal tolerance test (MMTT) or a glucagon stimulation test (GST)...
- Elevated plasma glucagon-like peptide 1 and 2 concentrations in ileum resected short bowel patients with a preserved colonP B Jeppesen
Department of Medicine CA 2121, Section of Gastroenterology, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Gut 47:370-6. 2000The glucagon-like peptides (GLP) 1 and 2 are secreted postprandially from L cells located mainly in the ileum. Both hormones prolong intestinal transit and GLP-2 is intestinotrophic in rodents...
- CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein beta is required for activation of genes for ornithine cycle enzymes by glucocorticoids and glucagon in primary-cultured hepatocytesT Kimura
Department of Molecular Genetics, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
FEBS Lett 494:105-11. 2001Transcription of genes for enzymes of the ornithine cycle is activated by hormones such as glucocorticoids and glucagon. Promoters and enhancers of several genes for the enzymes interact with the CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein (C/EBP) ..
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 (1-37) converts intestinal epithelial cells into insulin-producing cellsAtsushi Suzuki
Department of Surgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:5034-9. 2003b>Glucagon-like peptide (GLP) 1 is produced through posttranslational processing of proglucagon and acts as a regulator of various homeostatic events...
- The glucagon-like peptidesT J Kieffer
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Endocr Rev 20:876-913. 1999
- The effect of physiological levels of glucagon-like peptide-1 on appetite, gastric emptying, energy and substrate metabolism in obesityA Flint
Research Department of Human Nutrition, Center for Food Research, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:781-92. 2001Peripheral infusions of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in humans have been shown to inhibit gastrointestinal motility and decrease hunger and energy intake. However, these investigations used supraphysiological doses...
- Bile acids promote glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion through TGR5 in a murine enteroendocrine cell line STC-1Susumu Katsuma
Bioinformatics Center, Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329:386-90. 2005..In this study, we show that bile acids promote glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) secretion through TGR5 in a murine enteroendocrine cell line STC-1...
- A novel neurotrophic property of glucagon-like peptide 1: a promoter of nerve growth factor-mediated differentiation in PC12 cellsTracyAnn Perry
Section of Drug, Design, and Development, Laboratory of Neuroscience, Gerontology Research Center, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 300:958-66. 2002The insulinotropic hormone glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36)-amide (GLP-1) has potent effects on glucose-dependent insulin secretion, insulin gene expression, and pancreatic islet cell formation and is presently in clinical trials as a ..
- Active metabolite of GLP-1 mediates myocardial glucose uptake and improves left ventricular performance in conscious dogs with dilated cardiomyopathyLazaros A Nikolaidis
Dept of Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, 320 E North Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289:H2401-8. 2005We have shown previously that the glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)-(7-36) amide increases myocardial glucose uptake and improves left ventricular (LV) and systemic hemodynamics in both conscious dogs with pacing-induced dilated ..
- Glucagon represses signaling through the mammalian target of rapamycin in rat liver by activating AMP-activated protein kinaseScot R Kimball
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 279:54103-9. 2004The opposing actions of glucagon and insulin on glucose metabolism within the liver are essential mechanisms for maintaining plasma glucose concentrations within narrow limits...
- Effects of exenatide versus sitagliptin on postprandial glucose, insulin and glucagon secretion, gastric emptying, and caloric intake: a randomized, cross-over studyRalph A DeFronzo
University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Medicine, Diabetes Division MSC 7886, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:2943-52. 2008This study evaluated the effects of exenatide, a GLP-1 receptor agonist, and sitagliptin, a DPP-4 inhibitor, on 2-h postprandial glucose (PPG), insulin and glucagon secretion, gastric emptying, and caloric intake in T2D patients.
- Inulin-type fructans modulate gastrointestinal peptides involved in appetite regulation (glucagon-like peptide-1 and ghrelin) in ratsPatrice D Cani
Unit of Pharmacokinetics, Metabolism, Nutrition and Toxicology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, , B-1200 Brussels, Belgium
Br J Nutr 92:521-6. 2004..dietary fructans are able to modulate gastrointestinal peptides involved in the control of food intake, namely glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 (7-36) amide and ghrelin...
- Direct effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 on myocardial contractility and glucose uptake in normal and postischemic isolated rat heartsTingcun Zhao
Department of Pediatrics, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 317:1106-13. 2006Recent evidence suggests that glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) enhances recovery of left ventricular (LV) function after transient coronary artery occlusion...
- Pax6 is required for differentiation of glucagon-producing alpha-cells in mouse pancreasL St-Onge
Max Planck Institut fur biophysikalische Chemie, Gottingen, Germany
Nature 387:406-9. 1997..core of the islet, whereas alpha-, delta- and gamma-cells are arranged at the periphery of the islet and secrete glucagon, somatostatin and a pancreatic polypeptide, respectively...
- Effects of a novel glucagon receptor antagonist (Bay 27-9955) on glucagon-stimulated glucose production in humansK F Petersen
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8020, USA
Diabetologia 44:2018-24. 2001To study the effects of a specific glucagon receptor antagonist (Bay 27-9955), on plasma glucose concentrations and rates of glucose production in response to hyperglucagonaemia in humans.
- Effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 in patients with acute myocardial infarction and left ventricular dysfunction after successful reperfusionLazaros A Nikolaidis
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Circulation 109:962-5. 2004..b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) is a naturally occurring incretin with both insulinotropic and insulinomimetic properties ..
- Adult insulin- and glucagon-producing cells differentiate from two independent cell lineagesP L Herrera
Department of Morphology, University of Geneva Medical School, rue Michel Servet, Switzerland
Development 127:2317-22. 2000..Adult glucagon alpha and insulin beta cells are shown to derive from cells that have never transcribed insulin or glucagon, ..
- A novel glucagon receptor antagonist inhibits glucagon-mediated biological effectsSajjad A Qureshi
Department of Metabolic Disorder and Molecular Endocrinology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
Diabetes 53:3267-73. 2004b>Glucagon maintains glucose homeostasis during the fasting state by promoting hepatic gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis. Hyperglucagonemia and/or an elevated glucagon-to-insulin ratio have been reported in diabetic patients and animals...
- Exendin-4 stimulates both beta-cell replication and neogenesis, resulting in increased beta-cell mass and improved glucose tolerance in diabetic ratsG Xu
Elliott P Joslin Research Laboratories, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Diabetes 48:2270-6. 1999..Earlier, we reported that the intestinal hormone glucagon-like peptide I (GLP-I) effectively augments glucose-stimulated insulin secretion...
- Short-term administration of glucagon-like peptide-2. Effects on bone mineral density and markers of bone turnover in short-bowel patients with no colonK V Haderslev
Dept of Gastroenterology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:392-8. 2002b>Glucagon-like peptide 2 (GLP-2) is a newly discovered intestinotrophic hormone. We have recently reported that a 5-week GLP-2 treatment improved the intestinal absorptive capacity of short-bowel patients with no colon...
- Chronic administration of voglibose, an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, increases active glucagon-like peptide-1 levels by increasing its secretion and decreasing dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity in ob/ob miceYusuke Moritoh
Pharmacology Research Laboratories I, Pharmaceutical Research Division, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Yodogawa ku, Osaka, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:669-76. 2009Administration of an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, voglibose, increases the secretion of glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1, a key modulator of pancreatic islet hormone secretion and glucose homeostasis...
- Oral glutamine increases circulating glucagon-like peptide 1, glucagon, and insulin concentrations in lean, obese, and type 2 diabetic subjectsJerry R Greenfield
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research and Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 89:106-13. 2009Incretin hormones, such as glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP), play an important role in meal-related insulin secretion...
- Effect of vildagliptin on glucagon concentration during meals in patients with type 1 diabetesJ E Foley
Novartis Pharmaceutical Corporation, One Health Plaza, East Hanover, NJ 07936, USA
Horm Metab Res 40:727-30. 2008
- Insulin as a physiological modulator of glucagon secretionPritpal Bansal
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E751-61. 2008Glucose homeostasis is regulated primarily by the opposing actions of insulin and glucagon, hormones that are secreted by pancreatic islets from beta-cells and alpha-cells, respectively...
- Improved glucose tolerance and insulin secretion by inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase IV in miceB Ahren
Department of Medicine, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, S 205 02, Malmo, Sweden
Eur J Pharmacol 404:239-45. 2000We explored whether inhibition of the enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP IV) increases endogenous levels of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and improves glucose tolerance and insulin secretion in mice...
- Opposite effects of glucagon and insulin on compensation for spectacle lenses in chicksXiaoying Zhu
Department of Biology, City College, CUNY, New York, New York 10031, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:24-36. 2009Chick eyes compensate for the defocus imposed by positive or negative spectacle lenses. Glucagon may signal the sign of defocus...
- Alpha cell-specific Men1 ablation triggers the transdifferentiation of glucagon-expressing cells and insulinoma developmentJieLi Lu
Laboratoire Génétique Moléculaire, Signalisation et Cancer, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, UMR5201, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon1, Centre Leon Berard, Lyon, France
Gastroenterology 138:1954-65. 2010..The purpose of the current study was to address this issue in relation to islet tumor histogenesis...
- Long-term hyperglucagonaemia induces early metabolic and renal phenotypes of Type 2 diabetes in miceXiao C Li
Laboratory of Receptor and Signal Transduction, Division of Hypertension and Vascular Research, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Clin Sci (Lond) 114:591-601. 2008Clinical studies have shown that patients with early Type 2 diabetes often have elevated serum glucagon rather than insulin deficiency...
- Paradoxical regulation of Sp1 transcription factor by glucagonChithra N Keembiyehetty
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Research Services, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
Endocrinology 143:1512-20. 2002Insulin is a potent regulator of Sp1 transcription factor. To examine if glucagon, which usually antagonizes insulin, regulates Sp1, we assessed the levels of Sp1 by Western blotting from H-411E cells exposed to glucagon with or without ..
- The potential role of glucagon-like peptide 1 in diabetesJuris J Meier
Larry Hillblom Islet Research Center, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, 24 130 Warren Hill, 900 Veteran Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 5:402-10. 2004The incretin hormone glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) has a promising potential for the treatment of type 2 diabetes due to its glucose-dependent insulinotropic and glucagonostatic properties...
- Ablation of the glucagon receptor gene increases fetal lethality and produces alterations in islet development and maturationPatricia M Vuguin
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Children s Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center, 111 East 210th Street, Bronx, New York 10476, USA
Endocrinology 147:3995-4006. 2006Although glucagon (GLU) plays a pivotal role in glucose homeostasis, its role in the regulation of fetal growth and maturation is poorly understood...
- Nestin expression in pancreatic endocrine and exocrine cells of mice lacking glucagon signalingMamdouh H Kedees
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Dev Dyn 236:1126-33. 2007..One mutant line comprises mice lacking mature glucagon due to abrogation of proprotein convertase-2 (PC2(-/-)), responsible for the conversion of proglucagon into ..
- Tissue-specific and glucose-dependent expression of receptor genes for glucagon and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)E Yamato
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Horm Metab Res 29:56-9. 1997Both glucagon and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) play an important role in the regulation of nutrient homeostasis. In this study, the tissue distributions of the expression of receptor genes for glucagon and GLP-1 were examined...
- Endogenous GLP-1 regulates postprandial glycemia in humans: relative contributions of insulin, glucagon, and gastric emptyingMathias Nicolaus
Department of Internal Medicine II, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:229-36. 2011Synthetic glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36)amide (GLP-1) lowers postprandial (pp) glycemia by stimulating insulin and inhibiting glucagon release and delaying gastric emptying (GE)...
- Hormonal changes after Roux-en Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity and the control of type-II diabetes mellitusRonald H Clements
Department of Surgery, Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Am Surg 70:1-4; discussion 4-5. 2004..with DM-II were evaluated for demographics and fasting levels of the following: glucose, insulin, C-peptide, glucagon, cortisol, gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP), and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)...
- Insulin secretion and incretin hormones after oral glucose in non-obese subjects with impaired glucose toleranceE Rask
Department of Medicine, , Ume, Sweden
Metabolism 53:624-31. 2004..in non-obese subjects with IGT and we also examined this interrelation in relation to the 2 main incretins, glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1) and gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP)...
- GLP-1 derivative liraglutide in rats with beta-cell deficiencies: influence of metabolic state on beta-cell mass dynamicsJeppe Sturis
Discovery, Novo Nordisk A S, Novo Alle, DK 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark
Br J Pharmacol 140:123-32. 2003....
- Type VIII adenylyl cyclase in rat beta cells: coincidence signal detector/generator for glucose and GLP-1D Delmeire
Molecular Pharmacology Unit, Diabetes Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 46:1383-93. 2003..synergistically stimulated by two signalling pathways which mediate the effects of nutrients and hormones such as glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) or glucagon...
- Effects of 3 months of continuous subcutaneous administration of glucagon-like peptide 1 in elderly patients with type 2 diabetesGraydon S Meneilly
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Diabetes Care 26:2835-41. 2003OBJECTIVE: Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) is an insulinotropic gut hormone that, when given exogenously, may be a useful agent in the treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- Characterization of GLP-1 effects on beta-cell function after meal ingestion in humansBo Ahren
Department of Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetes Care 26:2860-4. 2003b>Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) is an incretin that augments insulin secretion after meal intake and is developed for treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- Degradation, receptor binding, insulin secreting and antihyperglycaemic actions of palmitate-derivatised native and Ala8-substituted GLP-1 analoguesBrian D Green
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland, UK
Biol Chem 385:169-77. 2004The hormone glucagon-like peptide-1(7-36)amide (GLP-1) is released in response to ingested nutrients and acts to promote glucose-dependent insulin secretion ensuring efficient postprandial glucose homeostasis...
- The pathophysiology of diabetes involves a defective amplification of the late-phase insulin response to glucose by glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide-regardless of etiology and phenotypeT Vilsbøll
Department of Internal Medicine F, Gentofte Hospital, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4897-903. 2003The effect of the insulinotropic incretin hormone, glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), is preserved in typical middle-aged, obese, insulin-resistant type 2 diabetic patients, whereas a defective amplification of the so-called late-phase ..
- Antihyperglycemic effects of stevioside in type 2 diabetic subjectsSøren Gregersen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Metabolism 53:73-6. 2004..001). Stevioside tended to decrease glucagon levels, while it did not significantly alter the area under the insulin, glucagon-like peptide 1, and glucose-..
- Metabolic stability, receptor binding, cAMP generation, insulin secretion and antihyperglycaemic activity of novel N-terminal Glu9-substituted analogues of glucagon-like peptide-1Brian D Green
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland, UK
Biol Chem 384:1543-51. 2003b>Glucagon-like peptide-1(7-36)amide (GLP-1) is an incretin hormone with therapeutic potential for type 2 diabetes...
- Dietary fructose reduces circulating insulin and leptin, attenuates postprandial suppression of ghrelin, and increases triglycerides in womenKaren L Teff
Monell Chemical Senses Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2963-72. 2004....
- Initially more rapid small intestinal glucose delivery increases plasma insulin, GIP, and GLP-1 but does not improve overall glycemia in healthy subjectsReawika Chaikomin
Department Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E504-7. 2005..is also dependent on stimulation of insulin secretion by glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)...
- Distinct effects of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide and glucagon-like peptide-1 on insulin secretion and gut motilityTakashi Miki
Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Diabetes 54:1056-63. 2005..In contrast, pretreatment with glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in Kir6...
- alpha-Glucosidase inhibition (acarbose) fails to enhance secretion of glucagon-like peptide 1 (7-36 amide) and to delay gastric emptying in Type 2 diabetic patientsK Hucking
Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum Langendreer Germany
Diabet Med 22:470-6. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the possible influence of acarbose on GLP-1 release and gastric emptying in Type 2 diabetic patients after a mixed test meal...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 and islet lipolysisM Sorhede Winzell
Department of Medicine, Lund University, SE 22184 Lund, Sweden
Horm Metab Res 36:795-803. 2004A role for glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) has been suggested in stimulating beta-cell lipolysis via elevation of cAMP and activation of protein kinase A, which in turn may activate hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL), thereby contributing to ..
- Engineered beta-cells secreting dipeptidyl peptidase IV-resistant glucagon-like peptide-1 show enhanced glucose-responsivenessMd Shahidul Islam
Department of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Life Sci 76:1239-48. 2005..Reduced responsiveness of the beta-cells to glucose is a critical feature of this syndrome. Glucagon-like peptide 1, a product of the pro-glucagon gene makes beta-cells competent and has many other anti-diabetic ..
- Islet adaptation to insulin resistance: mechanisms and implications for interventionB Ahren
Department of Medicine, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:2-8. 2005..insulin resistance such as glucose, free fatty acids, autonomic nerves, fat-derived hormones and the gut hormone glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)...
- Intraduodenal guar attenuates the fall in blood pressure induced by glucose in healthy older adultsChristine Feinle-Bisset
Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA, 5000, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:940-6. 2005..Blood pressure and heart rate were measured every 3 minutes. Levels of blood glucose, plasma insulin, glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), and glucose-dependant insulinotropic-polypeptide (GIP) were also determined...
- Unique characteristics of the geriatric diabetic population and the role for therapeutic strategies that enhance glucagon-like peptide-1 activityMarie Thearle
Columbia University, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center, New York, New York, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8:9-16. 2005..on these considerations, we discuss emerging therapeutic options based on the actions of the incretin hormone glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1, which may be ideal for achieving glycemic control in the elderly diabetic patient...
- Overexpression of a dominant negative GIP receptor in transgenic mice results in disturbed postnatal pancreatic islet and beta-cell developmentNadja Herbach
Institute of Veterinary Pathology, Veterinaerstrasse 13, 80539 Munich, Germany
Regul Pept 125:103-17. 2005..These findings demonstrate in vivo evidence that intact signaling of G-protein coupled receptors is involved in postnatal islet and beta-cell development and neogenesis of the pancreatic islets...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1: regulation of insulin secretion and therapeutic potentialJesper Gromada
Department of Pharmacology, University of Aarhus, Universitetsparken, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 95:252-62. 2004b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) is an intestinally derived insulinotropic hormone currently under investigation for use as a novel therapeutic agent in the treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- Reduction of beta cell mass: partial insulin secretory compensation from the residual beta cell population in the nicotinamide-streptozotocin Göttingen minipig after oral glucose in vivo and in the perfused pancreasM O Larsen
Department of Pharmacology Research 1, Pharmacology, Research and Development, Novo Nordisk Park, F6 1 30, Novo Nordisk, 2760 Måløv, Denmark
Diabetologia 47:1873-8. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of a primary reduction in beta cell mass on beta cell function in vivo and in the perfused pancreas and to relate these characteristics to beta cell mass...
- Characterization of beta-cell function impairment in first-degree relatives of type 2 diabetic subjects: modeling analysis of 24-h triple-meal testsAndrea Mari
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Padua, Italy
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E541-6. 2005....
- Secretion of incretin hormones (GIP and GLP-1) and incretin effect after oral glucose in first-degree relatives of patients with type 2 diabetesMichael A Nauck
Medizinische Klinik 1, St. Josef-Hospital, , Bochum D-44791, Germany
Regul Pept 122:209-17. 2004..Blood was drawn over 240 min for plasma glucose (glucose oxidase), insulin, C-peptide, GIP and glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1; specific immunoassays)...
- Chronic inhibition of circulating dipeptidyl peptidase IV by FE 999011 delays the occurrence of diabetes in male zucker diabetic fatty ratsBéatrice Sudre
Ferring Research Institute and Division of Biology of Growth and Reproduction, Department of Pediatrics, University of Geneva School of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Diabetes 51:1461-9. 2002..glucose tolerance in the Zucker fatty rat, a rodent model of impaired glucose tolerance, through stabilization of glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1...
- Effect of variations in small intestinal glucose delivery on plasma glucose, insulin, and incretin hormones in healthy subjects and type 2 diabetesSelena Doran
Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3431-5. 2004..Between t = 0 and 30 min the magnitude of the rise in plasma glucagon-like peptide-1 was greater with the variable, compared with the constant infusion (P < 0.01, both groups)...
- Hormone-sensitive lipase has a role in lipid signaling for insulin secretion but is nonessential for the incretin action of glucagon-like peptide 1Marie Line Peyot
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Department of Nutrition, University of Montréal and the Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 53:1733-42. 2004..The effect of glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) on GSIS was also studied, as GLP-1 could augment GSIS via protein kinase A activation of ..
- Normal secretion and action of the gut incretin hormones glucagon-like peptide-1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide in young men with low birth weightJakob Hagen Schou
Steno Diabetes Center, Niels Steensens Vej 2, 2820 Gentofte, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4912-9. 2005..Low birth weight (LBW) is associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus. An impaired incretin effect was reported previously in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Both GLP-1 and GIP are insulinotropic at basal and postprandial glucose levels and contribute nearly equally to the incretin effect of a meal in healthy subjectsTina Vilsbøll
Department of Internal Medicine F, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Regul Pept 114:115-21. 2003b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) are both incretin hormones regulating postprandial insulin secretion...
- Mouse pancreatic beta-cells exhibit preserved glucose competence after disruption of the glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor geneD Flamez
Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 47:646-52. 1998Previous work suggested that glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) can acutely regulate insulin secretion in two ways, 1) by acting as an incretin, causing amplification of glucose-induced insulin release when glucose is given orally as opposed ..
- Assessment of the role of interstitial glucagon in the acute glucose secretory responsiveness of in situ pancreatic beta-cellsKaren Moens
Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 51:669-75. 2002b>Glucagon is a potent stimulator of insulin release in the presence of a permissive glucose concentration, activating beta-cells in vitro via both glucagon- and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)-receptors...
- Effect of 6-week course of glucagon-like peptide 1 on glycaemic control, insulin sensitivity, and beta-cell function in type 2 diabetes: a parallel-group studyMette Zander
Department of Medical Physiology, Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Lancet 359:824-30. 2002b>Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) has been proposed as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. We have investigated the long-term effects of continuous administration of this peptide hormone in a 6-week pilot study.
- The multifaceted potential of glucagon-like peptide-1 as a therapeutic agentN T Lam
Departments of Medicine and Physiology, University of Alberta-Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Minerva Endocrinol 27:79-93. 2002b>Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), an intestinal gut hormone, is rapidly emerging as a new therapeutic agent for the treatment of diabetes mellitus...
- Long-term inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase IV improves glucose tolerance and preserves islet function in miceM Kvist Reimer
Department of Medicine, Lund University, Sweden
Eur J Endocrinol 146:717-27. 2002OBJECTIVES: Inhibitors of the glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1)-degrading enzyme, dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPPIV), are being explored in the treatment of diabetes...
- Gastric inhibitory polypeptide: the neglected incretin revisitedJuris J Meier
Medizinische Klinik I, St. Josef-Hospital, , Gudrunstrasse 56, 44791, Bochum, Germany
Regul Pept 107:1-13. 2002..This so-called "incretin effect" is primarily conferred by Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and Gastric Inhibitory Polypeptide (GIP)...
- Defective amplification of the late phase insulin response to glucose by GIP in obese Type II diabetic patientsT Vilsbøll
Department of Internal Medicine F, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Niels Andersens Vej 65, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Diabetologia 45:1111-9. 2002b>Glucagon-like-peptide-1 (GLP-1) is strongly insulinotropic in patients with Type II (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus, whereas glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) is less effective...
- The long-acting GLP-1 derivative NN2211 ameliorates glycemia and increases beta-cell mass in diabetic miceBidda Rolin
Novo Nordisk, DK 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E745-52. 2002NN2211 is a long-acting, metabolically stable glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) derivative designed for once daily administration in humans...
- Determinants of the effectiveness of glucagon-like peptide-1 in type 2 diabetesM B Toft-Nielsen
Department of Endocrinology, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, DK-2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3853-60. 2001..plasma glucose: fasting plasma glucose, fasting nonesterified fatty acid, dipeptidyl peptidase activity, delta glucagon decrement, F-GLP-1 total, logarithm of beta-cell function, and Kg) as independent parameters resulted in fasting ..
- Effect of exendin-(9-39) on glucose metabolism in subjects with hyperinsulinismDIVA DE LEON; Fiscal Year: 2007..in (-cells, recent studies suggest that the KATP channels may play a role in glucose sensing and secretion of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) by intestinal L-cells...
- NEURAL SUBSTRATES OF PEPTIDE INDUCED SATIETYRobert C Ritter; Fiscal Year: 2010..is to define the neural mechanisms through which gastrointestinal hormones, especially cholecystokinin (CCK) and glucagon-related peptide (CCK), control food intake and to appreciate how these substrates are involved in the physiology ..
- 8th International Symposium for VIP, PACAP & Related PeptidesVictor May; Fiscal Year: 2007..amino acid homology with the other related peptides, including growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH), secretin, glucagon, glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), GLP-2, and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) is more distant but ..
- PANCREAS AND ISLET TRANSPLANTATION IN HUMANSR Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2005..to beta cells; and developing a better understanding of the failure of the intrahepatic alpha cell to secrete glucagon during hypoglycemia. The Specific Aims for this proposal are: Specific Aim # 1...
- Control of cAMP-mediated glucagon response by bile acidsBernard Bouscarel; Fiscal Year: 2005..80 percent of cirrhotic patients display glucose intolerance associated with decreased gluconeogenic response to glucagon. Regulation of helpatocellular metabolism by glucagon is in part through increased cAMP synthesis...
- Control of cAMP Mediated Glucagon Response by Bile AcidsNorman H Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..and 80% of cirrhotic patients display glucose intolerance associated with a decreased gluconeogenic response to glucagon. This decreased glucagon-induced hepatocellular glucose production is due to a significant hepatic resistance to ..
- Control of cAMP Mediated Glucagon Response by Bile AcidsBernard Bouscarel; Fiscal Year: 2009..and 80% of cirrhotic patients display glucose intolerance associated with a decreased gluconeogenic response to glucagon. This decreased glucagon-induced hepatocellular glucose production is due to a significant hepatic resistance to ..
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank A Anania; Fiscal Year: 2010..At present there is limited therapy for fatty liver disease. Glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1) is a naturally occurring gut peptide secreted by the L cells of the small intestine...
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank Anania; Fiscal Year: 2009..At present there is limited therapy for fatty liver disease. Glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1) is a naturally occurring gut peptide secreted by the L cells of the small intestine...
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank Anania; Fiscal Year: 2007..At present there is limited therapy for fatty liver disease. Glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1) is a naturally occurring gut peptide secreted by the L cells of the small intestine...
- Changes in neural response to eating after bariatric surgery: MRI resultsTHOMAS A contact WADDEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, postprandial increases in the satiety factors, glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and peptide YY (PYY3-36), are significantly increased after RYGB, compared with LAGB...
- XENIN-25: NOVEL REGULATOR OF INSULIN SECRETION AND B-CELL FUNCTIONBurton M Wice; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) are the two major incretins most ..
- Control of cAMP-mediated glucagon response by bile acidsBernard Bouscarel; Fiscal Year: 2007..and 80% of cirrhotic patients display glucose intolerance associated with a decreased gluconeogenic response to glucagon. This decreased glucagon-induced hepatocellular glucose production is due to a significant hepatic resistance to ..
- Regulation of Renal Cortical Adenosine LevelsEdwin Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Glucagon is a pancreatic hormone secreted into the portal circulation...
- NUTRITION, INFECTION AND HEPATIC CARBOHYDRATE METABOLISMOwen McGuinness; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe the fall in glucagon during NS is essential to allowing the adaptation to occur...