Genomes and Genes
gonadal steroid hormones
Summary: Steroid hormones produced by the GONADS. They stimulate reproductive organs, germ cell maturation, and the secondary sex characteristics in the males and the females. The major sex steroid hormones include ESTRADIOL; PROGESTERONE; and TESTOSTERONE.
Publications305 found, 100 shown here
- Body mass index, serum sex hormones, and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal womenT J Key
Cancer Research U K Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Gibson Bldg, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1218-26. 2003..Obesity is associated with increased breast cancer risk among postmenopausal women. We examined whether this association could be explained by the relationship of body mass index (BMI) with serum sex hormone concentrations...
- Mutant P450 oxidoreductase causes disordered steroidogenesis with and without Antley-Bixler syndromeChrista E Flück
Department of Pediatrics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0978, USA
Nat Genet 36:228-30. 2004..Mutations of POR also affect drug-metabolizing P450 enzymes, explaining the association of ABS with maternal fluconazole ingestion...
- Sex-associated hormones and immunity to protozoan parasitesC W Roberts
Department of Immunology, Strathclyde Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, 27 Taylor St, Glasgow G4 ONR, Scotland, United Kingdom
Clin Microbiol Rev 14:476-88. 2001..In this article we review the impact of sex-associated hormones on the immune system and the development and maintenance of immunity to the intracellular protozoan parasites Toxoplasma gondii, Plasmodium spp., and Leishmania spp...
- Sex steroid hormone concentrations and risk of death in US menAndy Menke
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Epidemiol 171:583-92. 2010..Future studies should be conducted to fully characterize the association of low free and bioavailable testosterone concentrations and mortality in men and to describe the mechanism underlying the association...
- Effect of polymorphisms in selected genes involved in pituitary-testicular function on reproductive hormones and phenotype in aging menIlpo T Huhtaniemi
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1898-908. 2010..Polymorphisms in genes involved in regulation, biosynthesis, metabolism, and actions of testicular sex hormones may influence hormone balance and phenotype of aging men...
- Hormonal and reproductive factors in relation to melanoma in women: current review and meta-analysisSara Gandini
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 47:2607-17. 2011..In contrast, significant associations of CM with parity and age at first pregnancy were observed in this meta-analysis finds and warrant further research...
- Steroid regulation of drug-metabolizing cytochromes P450Katalin Monostory
Chemical Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Curr Drug Metab 12:154-72. 2011..The purpose of this review is to highlight the interplay between drug-metabolizing P450s and steroid hormones as well as the interactions of xenosensor with steroid signaling pathways...
- Brain tumors and hormonal factors: review of the epidemiological literatureAnne Cowppli-Bony
Laboratoire Santé Travail Environnement, Institut de Santé Publique d Epidémiologie et de Développement, IFR 99, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Cancer Causes Control 22:697-714. 2011..To date, the etiology of primary tumors of the central nervous system (mainly gliomas and meningiomas) is poorly understood. The role of sex hormones has been suggested, based on clinical, experimental, biological, and epidemiological data...
- Reproductive hormone levels in men exposed to persistent organohalogen pollutants: a study of inuit and three European cohortsAleksander H Giwercman
Molecular Reproductive Medicine Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 114:1348-53. 2006..Persistent organohalogen pollutant (POP) exposure may have a negative impact on reproductive function. The objective of this study was to assess the impact of POP exposure on the male hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis...
- Polymorphisms associated with circulating sex hormone levels in postmenopausal womenAlison M Dunning
Cancer Research UK, Department of Oncology, University of Cambridge, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:936-45. 2004..We investigated the association between levels of sex hormones and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in genes coding for the enzymes that regulate them...
- Sex hormones as immunomodulators in health and diseaseD Verthelyi
Retroviral Immunology Section, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Building 29A, Rm 3 D 2, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 1:983-93. 2001..Understanding the physiology of the interaction between sex hormones and immune function and its potential pathological consequences may provide insight into the autoimmune diseases and new directions for their treatment...
- Endogenous sex hormones and the development of type 2 diabetes in older men and women: the Rancho Bernardo studyJee Young Oh
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0607, USA
Diabetes Care 25:55-60. 2002..To determine the prospective association between endogenous sex hormones and the development of type 2 diabetes in older men and women...
- Protective effects of Launaea procumbens on rat testis damage by CCl4Rahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Science and Technology Bannu, Bannu, KPK, Pakistan
Lipids Health Dis 11:103. 2012..In the present study protective effects of methanolic extract of Launaea procumbens (LPME) was evaluated against CCl4-induced oxidative damages in rat testis...
- Sex differences and reproductive hormone influences on human odor perceptionRichard L Doty
Smell and Taste Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia PA 19104, USA
Physiol Behav 97:213-28. 2009..We conclude that the relationship between reproductive hormones and human olfactory function is complex and that simple associations between circulating levels of gonadal hormones and measures of olfactory function are rarely present...
- The mechanism of sex determination in vertebrates-are sex steroids the key-factor?Masahisa Nakamura
Department of Biology, Faculty of Education and Integrated Arts and Sciences, Waseda University, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 313:381-98. 2010..In both cases, a sex-determining gene is not always necessary for sex determination. Taken together, sex steroids may be the key-factor for sex determination in some species of vertebrates...
- Coordinate regulation of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein dynamics by steroid hormones in the human fallopian tube and endometrium in vivo and in vitroRuijin Shao
Dept of Physiology Endocrinology, Sahlgrenska Academy, Univ of Gothenburg, Box 434, Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E1269-82. 2012..Both actions may contribute to regulation of gene transcription...
- Endocrine-disrupting chemicals in ovarian function: effects on steroidogenesis, metabolism and nuclear receptor signalingZelieann R Craig
Department of Comparative Biosciences, University of Illinois, 2001 S Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61802, USA
Reproduction 142:633-46. 2011..g. dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane and methoxychlor), plasticizers (e.g. bisphenol A and phthalates), dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (e.g. benzo[a]pyrene)...
- Characterization of endocrine-disrupting chemicals based on hormonal balance disruption in male and female adult ratsNadia Quignot
Experimental Toxicology Unit, INERIS, Parc Technologique ALATA, 60550 Verneuil en Halatte, France
Reprod Toxicol 33:339-52. 2012..In vinclozolin-treated animals, the decreased estrogen-to-androgen ratios reported might be due to an increase of peripheral (adrenal) steroidogenesis. Thus, measurement of many endpoints is necessary for good risk assessment...
- The potential use of hormone-based therapeutics for the treatment of Alzheimer's diseaseJenna C Carroll
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease Research, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 9:18-34. 2012..However, additional research is needed to optimize these and other translational tools towards the successful use of hormone therapies in both men and women to delay, prevent, and or treat AD...
- Getting back at nature: understanding thymic development and overcoming its atrophyTracy S P Heng
Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
Curr Opin Pharmacol 10:425-33. 2010..Achievement of this goal will open up many avenues for the application of thymus-based immune rejuvenation and manipulation...
- Reproductive hormones in the early menopausal transition: relationship to ethnicity, body size, and menopausal statusJohn F Randolph
Clinical Centers University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1516-22. 2003..All hormone concentrations were significantly correlated with body mass index. We conclude that serum sex steroid, FSH, and SHBG levels vary by ethnicity, but are highly confounded by ethnic disparities in body size...
- Relationship between caffeine intake and plasma sex hormone concentrations in premenopausal and postmenopausal womenJoanne Kotsopoulos
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer 115:2765-74. 2009..Caffeine intake may decrease risk of breast and ovarian cancer, although the data are not entirely consistent. Whether or not caffeine affects cancer risk by altering sex hormone levels is currently unknown...
- Second to fourth digit length ratio (2D:4D) and adult sex hormone levels: new data and a meta-analytic reviewJohannes Hönekopp
Technische Universitat Chemnitz, Institut fur Psychologie, Wilhelm Raabe Str 43, D 09120 Chemnitz, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 32:313-21. 2007..The findings from this current study add to the growing body of evidence demonstrating that 2D:4D is a suitable tool to study the effects of prenatal androgenization on human behavior and cognition...
- Influence of sex steroid hormones on cerebrovascular functionDiana N Krause
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 92697 4625, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 101:1252-61. 2006..Cerebrovascular effects of sex steroids also need to be considered in untangling current controversies regarding consequences of hormone replacement therapies and steroid abuse...
- Sex differences of endogenous sex hormones and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysisEric L Ding
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 295:1288-99. 2006..Inconsistent data suggest that endogenous sex hormones may have a role in sex-dependent etiologies of type 2 diabetes, such that hyperandrogenism may increase risk in women while decreasing risk in men...
- Habituation to humans affects yolk steroid levels and offspring phenotype in quailAline Bertin
Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle, University of Vienna, A 4645 Grünau, Austria
Horm Behav 54:396-402. 2008..This has obvious implications for keeping and handling laboratory animals, for conservation biology and for animal welfare...
- Effect of four different oral contraceptives on various sex hormones and serum-binding globulinsI Wiegratz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, J W Geothe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Contraception 67:25-32. 2003..In contrast to EE, the use of estradiol in OCs appeared to increase prolactin release, while the cycle control was better with the OC containing 30 microg EE...
- Bioavailable estradiol and an aromatase gene polymorphism are determinants of bone mineral density changes in men over 70 years of ageI Van Pottelbergh
Department of Endocrinology, Ghent University Hospital, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3075-81. 2003....
- Plasma sex hormone concentrations and subsequent risk of breast cancer among women using postmenopausal hormonesShelley S Tworoger
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:595-602. 2005....
- Bioavailable estradiol may be an important determinant of osteoporosis in men: the MINOS studyP Szulc
Hospital Neuro-Cardiology, 69437 Lyon, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:192-9. 2001..These data suggest that the age-related decrease in bio-17betaE(2) contributes to bone loss in elderly men by increasing bone turnover. Low 17betaE(2) levels may be an important risk factor for osteoporosis in men...
- Standardization of steroid hormone assays: why, how, and when?Frank Z Stanczyk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Women s and Children s Hospital, Room 1M2, 1240 North Mission Road, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1713-9. 2007..These criteria would allow validation of sensitivity, specificity, precision, and accuracy of current steroid hormone assay methodology and provide surrogates until a true gold standard can be developed...
- What is the evidence for gender differences in ferritin and haemoglobin?D Hugh Rushton
School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, Hants PO1 2DT, UK
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 73:1-9. 2010..Reference ranges should be re-evaluated in populations proven to be iron replete...
- Gonadectomy of adult male rats reduces contractility of isolated cardiac myocytesKish L Golden
Department of Physiology and Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 421 E Canfield Ave, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E449-53. 2003....
- 17Beta-estradiol triggers postspawning in spermatogenically active gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata L.) malesE Chaves-Pozo
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Biology, University of Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Biol Reprod 76:142-8. 2007....
- Sex hormones and urticariaA Kasperska-Zajac
Clinical Department of Internal Diseases, Allergology and Clinical Immunology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
J Dermatol Sci 52:79-86. 2008..This review endeavours to outline what is known about the possible influence of sex hormones in the expression of urticaria...
- Sex hormones and modulation of immunity against leishmaniasisHeidi Snider
Department of Microbiology, The Ohio State University, 484 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Neuroimmunomodulation 16:106-13. 2009..This review highlights our current knowledge concerning the role of sex hormones in modulating leishmaniasis in both clinical settings and experimental disease models...
- Involvement of sex steroid hormones in the early stages of spermatogenesis in Japanese huchen (Hucho perryi )M A Amer
Division of Marine Biosciences, Graduate School of Fisheries Science, Hokkaido University, Hakodate 041-8611, Hokkaido, Japan
Biol Reprod 65:1057-66. 2001..The three steroids were also able to induce DNA synthesis, spermatogonial renewal, and/or spermatogonial proliferation in vitro...
- Serum sex steroids measured in middle-aged European and African-Caribbean men by gas chromatography-mass spectrometryFrank Giton
AP HP CIB GHU Sud, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Eur J Endocrinol 165:917-24. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine the serum levels of a wide panel of steroid hormones, both androgens and estrogens, in healthy middle-aged African-Caribbean and European men...
- Endothelial function, vascular reactivity and gender differences in the cardiovascular systemMark A Sader
Department of Cardiology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, 2050 NSW, Australia
Cardiovasc Res 53:597-604. 2002
- The steroid hormone biosynthesis pathway as a target for endocrine-disrupting chemicalsJ Thomas Sanderson
INRS Institut Armand Frappier, Universite du Quebec, 245 Hymus Boulevard Pointe Claire, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H9R 1G6
Toxicol Sci 94:3-21. 2006..Considerably more detailed and systematic research in this area of (endocrine) toxicology is required for a better understanding of risks to humans and wildlife...
- Critical assessment of new risk factors for breast cancer: considerations for development of an improved risk prediction modelRichard J Santen
Department of Internal Medicine Endocrinology, University of Virginia Health System, Box 801416, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 14:169-87. 2007..The BCPCG analyzed potentially available clinical material from previous prospective studies and determined that a large case/control study to evaluate these new factors might be feasible at this time...
- Measurement of sex steroids in murine blood and reproductive tissues by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryK M McNamara
Andrology, ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2139, Australia
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 121:611-8. 2010..Hence, we demonstrate that this LC-MS/MS method has the sensitivity, specificity and multi-analyte capability to offer accurate steroid profiling in mouse serum and reproductive tissues...
- Modulation of appetite by gonadal steroid hormonesLori Asarian
Institute for Animal Science, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, Schwerzenbach, Zurich, Switzerland
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 361:1251-63. 2006Several sex differences in eating, their control by gonadal steroid hormones and their peripheral and central mediating mechanisms are reviewed...
- Overview of steroidogenic enzymes in the pathway from cholesterol to active steroid hormonesAnita H Payne
Division of Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, California 94305 5317, USA
Endocr Rev 25:947-70. 2004..This review presents a detailed description of the enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of active steroid hormones, with emphasis on the human and mouse enzymes and their expression in gonads, adrenal glands, and placenta...
- The uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 2B15 D85Y and 2B17 deletion polymorphisms predict the glucuronidation pattern of androgens and fat mass in menCharlotte Swanson
Center for Bone Research at the Sahlgrenska Academy, Department of Internal Medicine, Goteborg University, SE 41345 Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4878-82. 2007..Previous in vitro studies have demonstrated that the UDP glucuronosyltransferase (UGT)2B15 and UGT2B17 glucuronidate androgens and their metabolites...
- Influence of gonadal steroids on brain corticosteroid receptors: a minireviewB B Turner
Department of Physiology, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City 37614 0576, USA Turner
Neurochem Res 22:1375-85. 1997..Estrogen and androgen are both more potent in regulating pituitary-adrenal function than would be suggested by their actions on receptor binding parameters...
- Sex hormone-binding globulin as an independent determinant of cortical bone status in men at the age of peak bone massGriet Vanbillemont
Department of Endocrinology, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9K12IE, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1579-86. 2010..A large fraction of these hormones are bound by SHBG, and previous studies have shown that SHBG could be a determinant of bone characteristics...
- Association of CYP17, CYP19, CYP1B1, and COMT polymorphisms with serum and urinary sex hormone concentrations in postmenopausal womenShelley S Tworoger
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Cancer Prevention Research Program, Seattle, Washington, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:94-101. 2004..This study provides further evidence that genetic variation may appreciably alter sex hormone concentrations in postmenopausal women not taking hormone therapy...
- Associations of organochlorines with endogenous hormones in male Great Lakes fish consumers and nonconsumersMary E Turyk
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1603 W Taylor Street, Room 879, M C 923, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Environ Res 102:299-307. 2006..Further studies should help delineate specific exposure effects and effects of exposures to other common environmental contaminants alone and in combination with PCBs...
- Serum sex steroids in premenopausal women and breast cancer risk within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)Rudolf Kaaks
Nutrition and Hormones Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC WHO, Lyon, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:755-65. 2005..We conducted a case-control study nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort to examine associations among premenopausal serum concentrations of sex steroids and subsequent breast cancer risk...
- The effects of PCB exposure and fish consumption on endogenous hormonesV Persky
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:1275-83. 2001..Elucidation of specific mechanisms must await future investigations...
- A longitudinal study of the perimenopausal transition: altered profiles of steroid and pituitary hormones, SHBG and bone mineral densityG Rannevik
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Lund, , Sweden
Maturitas 21:103-13. 1995..The impact of this will influence the severity of symptoms, the degree of bone loss and the need for supplementary therapy...
- The role of sex in cardiac function and diseaseMichael P Czubryt
Division of Stroke and Vascular Disease, St Boniface General Hospital Research Centre, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:93-109. 2006....
- Genetic evidence that raised sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) levels reduce the risk of type 2 diabetesJohn R B Perry
Genetics of Complex Traits, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Exeter, Magdalen Road, Exeter, UK
Hum Mol Genet 19:535-44. 2010..Our results, together with those from another recent genetic study, strengthen evidence that SHBG and sex hormones are involved in the aetiology of type 2 diabetes...
- Gonadal hormones and sex differences in pain reactivityAnna Maria Aloisi
Department of Physiology, University of Sienna, Italy
Clin J Pain 19:168-74. 2003....
- Relationships between sex hormones assessed in amniotic fluid, and maternal and umbilical cord serum: what is the best source of information to investigate the effects of fetal hormonal exposure?Cornelieke van de Beek
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University Medical Centre Utrecht, and the Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neurosciences, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Horm Behav 46:663-9. 2004..Our data show that, of all available sources, amniotic fluid seems to be the best candidate to investigate the effects of early fetal androgen exposure...
- Ovarian hormones and migraine headache: understanding mechanisms and pathogenesis--part IVincent T Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH 45267 4217, USA
Headache 46:3-23. 2006..The second manuscript will focus on the clinical studies detailing the influence of estrogen and progesterone on migraine headache...
- Attenuated sex steroid receptor expression in fallopian tube of women with ectopic pregnancyAndrew W Horne
Division of Reproductive and Developmental Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:5146-54. 2009..Sex steroid hormone receptor (SHR) dynamics are well-documented in human endometrium but have not been comprehensively studied in Fallopian tube (FT)...
- Chronic stress and neural function: accounting for sex and ageV N Luine
Department of Psychology, Hunter College of CUNY, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 19:743-51. 2007..Moreover, these results suggest that other stressors and neural functions should be investigated to determine whether age, sex and gonadal hormones also have an impact...
- Inhibin A, inhibin B, follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, estradiol, and sex hormone-binding globulin levels in 473 healthy infant girlsM Chellakooty
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3515-20. 2003..In conclusion, reproductive hormones showed a large variation, and concentrations corresponded to those observed in puberty. Our findings support the concept of a minipuberty in infant girls similar to that in boys...
- Steroid hormones as bactericidal agents to Helicobacter pyloriKouichi Hosoda
Department of Infection and Immunity, Division of Bacteriology, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 318:68-75. 2011..Taken in sum, these results suggest that progesterone and FC may bind to the identical region on the H. pylori cell surface. We expect these findings to contribute to the development of a novel anti-H. pylori steroidal agent...
- Reproducibility of serum sex steroid assays in men by RIA and mass spectrometryAnn W Hsing
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, EPS 5024, MSC 7234, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Bethesda, MD 20852 7234, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1004-8. 2007....
- Myofilament response to Ca2+ and Na+/H+ exchanger activity in sex hormone-related protection of cardiac myocytes from deactivation in hypercapnic acidosisTepmanas Bupha-Intr
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Medicine and Center for Cardiovascular Research, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 835 S Wolcott Ave, Chicago, IL 60612 7342, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R837-43. 2007....
- Influence of sex hormones and phytoestrogens on heart disease in men and womenPoornima Bhupathy
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 80347, USA
Womens Health (Lond Engl) 6:77-95. 2010..In this review, the sex-based differences in cardiac (patho-) physiology are discussed with emphasis on the impact of sex hormones, hormone receptors and diet on heart disease...
- Energy balance and cancer: the role of sex hormonesT J Key
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 60:81-9. 2001..In men, increasing BMI has little effect on bioavailable androgen levels, and any effect of obesity on prostate cancer risk is small...
- The effect of pregnancy and parity on headache prevalence: the Head-HUNT studyKaren Aegidius
Norwegian National Headache Centre, Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Headache 49:851-9. 2009..In previous studies, pregnancy has been associated with less headache, but the influence of parity on this association is largely unknown...
- Reference levels for 17-hydroxyprogesterone, 11-desoxycortisol, cortisol, testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and androstenedione in infants from birth to six months of ageJesus M Garagorri
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Eur J Pediatr 167:647-53. 2008..These standards, displayed as smoothed percentiles, may be used as reference values in the management of congenital endocrine (adrenal or gonadal) abnormalities that appear in the first weeks of life...
- Reproductive and sex hormonal factors and oesophageal and gastric junction adenocarcinoma: a pooled analysisDeirdre P Cronin-Fenton
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Olof Palmes 43 45, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Eur J Cancer 46:2067-76. 2010..We therefore pooled data on women from four population-based case-control studies to examine the association of female reproductive and sex hormonal factors with oesophageal and gastric junction adenocarcinoma...
- Drugs for men and women - how important is gender as a risk factor for TdP?Susan J Coker
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, 27 Taylor Street, Glasgow G4 0NR, United Kingdom
Pharmacol Ther 119:186-94. 2008..Such information would assist in risk:benefit analysis and may allow the development of "drugs for men" and "drugs for women"...
- Spatial reference memory and neocortical neurochemistry vary with the estrous cycle in C57BL/6 miceK M Frick
Department of Biological Sciences, Wellesley College, Massachusetts 02481-8203, USA
Behav Neurosci 115:229-37. 2001..Neocortical, rather than hippocampal, neurochemistry was more sensitive to hormonal modulation, suggesting that hormonal mediation of neocortical function may play a critical role in regulating spatial reference memory in female mice...
- Relation of demographic factors, menstrual history, reproduction and medication use to sex hormone levels in postmenopausal womenAnne McTiernan
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 108:217-31. 2008..These results suggest that while age, oophorectomy status, and NSAID use may be associated with selected sex hormone concentrations, few menstrual or reproductive factors affect endogenous sex hormones in the postmenopausal period...
- Sex differences and individual differences in cognitive performance and their relationship to endogenous gonadal hormones and gonadotropinsRozmin Halari
Department of Psychology, City University, London, England
Behav Neurosci 119:104-17. 2005....
- Pubertal presentation in seven patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to P450 oxidoreductase deficiencyJan Idkowiak
Centre for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E453-62. 2011..P450 oxidoreductase deficiency (ORD) commonly presents neonatally, with disordered sex development in both sexes, skeletal malformations, and glucocorticoid deficiency...
- Endogenous sex hormone levels and cognitive function in aging men: is there an optimal level?M Muller
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neurology 64:866-71. 2005..To determine whether endogenous sex hormone levels are associated with cognitive functioning in men...
- Current concepts in aesthetic endocrinologyC J Gruber
Department of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Gynecol Endocrinol 16:431-41. 2002..Apart from the difficult problem of hirsutism, acne and changes in body composition offer promising therapeutical options for endocrinological methods...
- Estrogen, cognition and female ageingAndrea Riccardo Genazzani
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Hum Reprod Update 13:175-87. 2007..A critical update of HRT use in women and a discussion of possible prospectives for steroid use are subsequently proposed...
- The endocrinology of sexual arousalJ Bancroft
The Kinsey Institute, Indiana University, Morrison Hall third floor, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
J Endocrinol 186:411-27. 2005..Whereas the traditional concept of 'hormone' continues to apply to the role of testosterone and oestradiol in sexual arousal, peptides present a more complex role...
- Sex steroids and metabolic parameter levels in a seasonal breeding fish (Sparus aurata L.)E Chaves-Pozo
Department of Cell Biology and Histology, Faculty of Biology, University of Murcia, Campus Universitario de Espinardo, 30100 Espinardo Murcia, Spain
Gen Comp Endocrinol 156:531-6. 2008..Moreover, glucose and lactate might be important sources of energy during the resting and testicular involution stages...
- Monosaccharide-induced lipogenesis regulates the human hepatic sex hormone-binding globulin geneDavid M Selva
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of British Columbia, Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Invest 117:3979-87. 2007..This provides a biological explanation for why SHBG is a sensitive biomarker of the metabolic syndrome and the metabolic disturbances associated with increased fructose consumption...
- Are there reasons why adult asthma is more common in females?Barbro N Melgert
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, NW 628 MUH, 3459 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 7:143-50. 2007..More research is needed to understand these mechanisms in order to improve treatment of women with asthma...
- Role of sex hormones in allergic inflammation in miceY Riffo-Vasquez
The Sackler Institute of Pulmonary Pharmacology, King s College London, London, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 37:459-70. 2007..A number of clinical studies have documented both a pro- and anti-inflammatory role for sex hormones in the context of lung inflammation and worsening of asthma...
- Importance of gender and sex hormones in regulation of susceptibility of the small intestine to peroral infection with Toxoplasma gondii tissue cystsO Liesenfeld
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Research Institute, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, California 94301, USA
J Parasitol 87:1491-3. 2001..Thus, the gender and sex hormones are important factors for determining susceptibility of the small intestine to T. gondii infection...
- Gonadectomy reverses the sexually diergic patterns of circadian and stress-induced hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity in male and female ratsJ V Seale
LINE, Dorothy Hodgkin Building, University of Bristol, Bristol, Bristol, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 16:516-24. 2004....
- Expression and activities of hepatic cytochrome P450 (CYP1A, CYP2A and CYP2E1) in entire and castrated male pigsC Brunius
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences SLU, PO Box 7051, S 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Animal 6:271-7. 2012..However, this suppression was not always reflected in decreased protein expression and activities of these isoforms, suggesting that at least some CYP450s (e.g. CYP2E1) are regulated by a post-transcriptional mechanism...
- Serum sex hormones and breast cancer risk factors in postmenopausal womenCharisee A Lamar
Extramural Program, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12:380-3. 2003..Although BMI and parity could potentially modify breast cancer risk through hormonal mechanisms, age-related increases in breast cancer incidence do not appear to be mediated through changes in serum levels of the hormones evaluated...
- The neuroimmunoendocrine network in the complex host-parasite relationship during murine cysticercosisJ Morales-Montor
Departamento de Inmunologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, AP 70228, Mexico DF 04510, Mexico
Curr Top Med Chem 8:400-7. 2008..Such complexity may also help to explain the often conflicting results, observed between infections with respect to the role of the host sex, and hints to other avenues of research and strategies for their treatment and control...
- Association between sex hormone levels and abnormal metabolism in a population of elderly Chinese menYanping Gong
Department of Geriatric Endocrinology, The Chinese People s Liberation Army General Hospital, Beijing, China
Aging Male 16:8-16. 2013..Low testosterone levels may be a signal of poor health. This study aimed to investigate the effects of age and abnormal metabolism on sex hormones in Chinese male...
- Steroidobacter denitrificans gen. nov., sp. nov., a steroidal hormone-degrading gammaproteobacteriumMichael Fahrbach
Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Eawag, Uberlandstr 133, PO Box 611, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:2215-23. 2008..nov., sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain of Steroidobacter denitrificans is FS(T) (=DSM 18526(T) =JCM 14622(T))...
- The influence of cholesterol, progesterone, 4-androstenedione and testosterone on the growth of Treponema denticola ATCC 33520 in batch culturesDouglas T Clark
Department of Microbiology, King s College London Dental Institute at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, Floor 17 Guy s Tower, London SE1 9RS, UK
Anaerobe 12:267-73. 2006..001microg/mL of progesterone. The potential of the hormonal steroids to inhibit growth was in the order of progesterone, 4-androstenedione and testosterone...
- Comparison of postmenopausal endogenous sex hormones among Japanese, Japanese Brazilians, and non-Japanese BraziliansMotoki Iwasaki
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, Tokyo, Japan
BMC Med 9:16. 2011....
- The hormonal effects of long-term DDT exposure on malaria vector-control workers in Limpopo Province, South AfricaMohamed A Dalvie
Occupational and Environmental Health Research Unit, Department of Public Health, Medical School, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road, Observatory, 7925 Cape Town, South Africa
Environ Res 96:9-19. 2004..The results therefore do not suggest an overt anti-androgenic or estrogenic effect of long-term DDT exposure on hormone levels, but correlations do exist in a manner that is not understood...
- Sex hormones and primary headaches other than migraineDoris Lieba-Samal
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Curr Pain Headache Rep 15:407-14. 2011..This article reviews the available literature on changes of tension-type headache, cluster headache, other trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias, and hemicrania continua during women's reproductive periods...
- Migraine in women: the role of hormones and their impact on vascular diseasesSimona Sacco
Department of Neurology and Regional Referral Center for Headache Disorders, University of L Aquila, Piazzale Salvatore Tommasi, 1, 67100, L Aquila, Italy
J Headache Pain 13:177-89. 2012..Consequently, in women suffering from migraine with aura caution should be deserved when prescribing combined oral contraceptives...
- Quantification of steroids and endocrine disrupting chemicals in rat ovaries by LC-MS/MS for reproductive toxicology assessmentNadia Quignot
Experimental Toxicology Unit, INERIS, Parc Technologique ALATA, BP 2, 60550 Verneuil en Halatte, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 403:1629-40. 2012..These results highlight the need to develop an integrative evaluation with the simultaneous measurement of EDCs and numerous steroids for good risk assessment...
- Alcohol and endogenous sex steroid levels in postmenopausal women: a cross-sectional studyN Charlotte Onland-Moret
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Room Str 6 131, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1414-9. 2005..This finding supports the hypothesis that alcohol use may increase breast cancer risk at least partially through an effect on sex steroid levels...
- Sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) sex hormone binding globulin: molecular and biochemical properties and phylogenetic comparison of its orthologues in multiple fish speciesSolange Miguel-Queralt
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of British Columbia, BC, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 229:21-9. 2005..The availability of SHBG sequences in sea bass and other fish set the stage for detailed studies of SHBG function in fish reproductive physiology, as well as its potential role as a target of endocrine disruptors...
- Asthma and atopy: endocrine or metabolic conditions?L Forbes
Thorax 60:793-4. 2005
- Withdrawal of sex steroids reverses age- and chemotherapy-related defects in bone marrow lymphopoiesisJarrod A Dudakov
Immune Regeneration Laboratory, Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, Monash University, Clayton, Australia
J Immunol 182:6247-60. 2009..Since SSA has been achieved clinically for over 25 years, this provides a novel, rational basis for approaching the need for immune recovery in many clinical conditions...
- The effects of cocaine on gonadal steroid hormones and LH in male and female rhesus monkeysNancy K Mello
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:2024-34. 2004..T), and luteinizing hormone (LH) in rhesus monkeys, but the temporal interactions between the gonadal steroid hormones and LH have not been determined. The effects of i.v. cocaine (0...
- Tension-type headache and women: do sex hormones influence tension-type headache?Jessica Ailani
Department of Neurology, Georgetown University Hospital, Headache Center, 3800 Reservoir Road Northwest, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 14:436-40. 2010....
- Targeting rapid action of sex steroid receptors in breast and prostate cancersPia Giovannelli
Department of General Pathology II University of Naples Via L De Crecchio, 7, 80138 Napoli, Italy
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 16:2224-32. 2011..The final section highlights recent advances from our laboratory and future directions in alternative approaches for the treatment of breast and prostate cancers...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Hypothalamic Orexin Role in Menopause-Associated Hot Flashes and Mood/Sleep DisruPHILIP LEE JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will allow me to make significant contributions to our knowledge of the neural and neurochemical mechanisms that lead to hot flashes and to identify potential novel nonhormonal targets for treatment. ..
- 5-HT transporter function: Interaction of hormones and antidepressantsAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our basic research studies could have treatment implications for patients with either MDD and/or PTSD. ..
- Weight Loss &Exercise Effects on Telomere Length in Postmenopausal WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Shorter telomeres have been linked to cancer risk. The project includes 438 postmenopausal, overweight/obese, sedentary women who have already completed the trial from which blood samples will be used. ..
- Sex Hormones in Postmenopausal Women in the Diabetes Prevention ProgramCatherine Kim; Fiscal Year: 2012..The SHIP study will provide insight into the pathophysiology of glucose intolerance, and the findings will have implications not only for diabetes prevention but also for other diseases that focus on sex hormones as mediators. ..
- X chromosome, injury and infectionZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2012..Better understanding of the protecting cellular mechanisms that are in effect during septic conditions could lead to advanced protocols in treating the critically ill. ..
- Runx Proteins and Sex Steroid Signaling in BoneBaruch Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2009..They will decipher cryptic mechanisms of action of existing SERMs, and support the rationale development of novel ones, based on their influence on Runx proteins. ..
- Photoperiod Brain and BehaviorRandy J Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 2: What is the role of gonadal steroid hormones in mediating photoperiod-induced brain plasticity? We will examine aromatase activity, androgen (AR), and ..
- Role of Sex Chromosome Complement in the CNS during Autoimmune DiseaseSienmi Du; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mechanisms Regulating Reduced c-Kit-Dependent EAE Susceptibility in Male SJL MiceMELISSA ANN BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These mice provide a perfect system to explore the how c-kit signaling, in concert with influences from male sex hormones, confers neuroprotection and may lead to better therapies for this devastating CNS disease. ..
- Sex-Hormones and the TMPRSS2: ERG Fusion in Prostate Cancer ProgressionLorelei Mucci; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results of the proposed study will not only aid our understanding of lupus, but will also potentially lead to identification of newer targets of treatment. ..
- Sex Steroids and Runx Signaling in BoneBaruch Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2013..They will decipher cryptic mechanisms of action of existing SERMs, and support the rationale development of novel ones, based on their influence on Runx proteins. ..
- Modulation of Colonic Epithelial Permeability by Sex HormonesMuriel Larauche; Fiscal Year: 2013..and secretion in IBS and enable the candidate to propose new testable hypotheses regarding mechanisms of IBS pain and constipation, in particular regarding differential treatment approaches based on pathophysiology and sex differences ..
- Epigenetic Regulation Of Sex-dependent Liver CancerArlin B Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies are the first to define epigenetic modifiers of liver sexual differentiation, and to interrogate a novel mechanism of gender-specific tumor promotion predicated on chromatin sensitivity to inflammation. ..
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in women: reproductive, hormonal and genetic factorsPaige M Bracci; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- The Role of Sex in Self Antigen Generation in SLEDavid Stephen Pisetsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding these mechanisms should lead to new approaches to diagnosis and treatment as well as the development of novel biomarkers relevant to both lupus and other immune-mediated diseases. ..
- Neuroendocrine Contribution to Behavior &Cognition in the Female LifespanC NEILL NEILL EPPERSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- The relative roled of sex and genes during development of systemic autoimmunityTRINE NORGAARD JORGENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of Estrogen Receptors in Lupus-Modulators of the Inflammatory ResponseGary S Gilkeson; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Sex Differences in Complement during Myocarditis/DCMDelisa Fairweather; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research will provide further insight into the function of complement pathways that applies to other cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases that are influenced by sex/gender. ..
- Sex Differences in the Cannabioid Regulation of Energy HomeostasisEdward J Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..cannabinoids modulate energy balance in a sex-dependent fashion that can be differentially influenced by gonadal steroid hormones. They do so by 1) presynaptically altering the balance between excitatory + and inhibitory ..
- Sex chromosome aneuploidies in autoimmune diseaseR Hal Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Specific Aim 2, we will determine differential interferon production as mediated by DDX3X by women versus men. In the final Specific aim, we will comprehensively study the importance of DDX3X in knock-out animals. ..
- Role of the Sex Hormones and Insulin/IGF-Axes in Endometrial Cancer RecurrenceHoward D Strickler; Fiscal Year: 2012..The study will be conducted in a large, prospective cohort study of endometrial cancer (GOG-0210). ..
- Variations in estrogen exposures may modify pulmonary arterial hypertensionERIC DOUGLAS AUSTIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will allow me to compete effectively for future NIH support and propel me to an independent career in patient-oriented research. ..
- HORMONAL INFLUENCES ON AIRWAY DISEASERaksha Jain; Fiscal Year: 2013..These findings could lead to novel therapeutic approaches involving inhaled hormone manipulation in patients with bronchiectasis and other airway diseases such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. ..
- Sex Hormones and Visceral HypersensitivityElie D Al-Chaer; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Foxp2 regulation of sex specific transcriptional pathways and brain developmentJERALD MICHAEL BOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..For the R00 phase, I will write up the research collected from Aims 1.2 and Aims 2.1 and 2.1. I will then begin setting up my lab. Concurrent with opening the lab, I will begin work on Aim 3. ..
- MAINTENANCE OF ORGAN FUNCTION FOLLOWING INJURYIrshad H Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2012..The funding will help to develop gender-specific therapy. Such therapy should prevent organ dysfunction after injury and reduce morbidity and mortality from subsequent sepsis in male and female trauma victims. ..
- Sex Hormones and the Innate Immune Response to Influenza InfectionDIONNE ROBINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..These data and our preliminary studies support the need for an in depth evaluation of the effects of sex steroid hormones on immune responses during influenza A infection. ..
- Cellular Mechanisms for the hormonal Modulation of SleepJessica Mong; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- 5-HT transporter function: Interaction of antidepressants and hormonesAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results obtained could have important implications for understanding treatment non-response in some women. ..
- Risk Factors for Ischemic Stroke in WomenKathryn M Rexrode; Fiscal Year: 2012..These promising biochemical and genetic markers may have implications for improving prevention strategies, enhancing treatment options and generating additional testable hypotheses for stroke research. ..
- Gender differences in aortic baroreceptor function and neural integrationJohn H Schild; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evidence for a gender-related difference in baroreceptors could potentially lead to novel advances in the effective management of cardiovascular health and disease in the female population. ..
- Regulation of dendritic cells by estrogen receptors during influenza infectionSusan Kovats; Fiscal Year: 2012..This knowledge will determine how natural estrogen levels regulate the immune response during influenza infection and help elucidate why men and women differ in susceptibility to viral infections. ..
- Prenatal exposure to high-fat diets promotes alcohol preference in the offspringMiriam E Bocarsly; Fiscal Year: 2012..Understanding the cause and mechanism of gestational diet-induced, alcohol preference will improve prenatal care with the aim of preventing destructive, alcohol prone behavior in the next generation. ..
- Epidemiology of Biomarkers of Risk and Progression in LOADNicole Schupf; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the last primary specific aim, brain imaging variables are predictors and cognitive decline, MCI, LOAD as well as LOAD progression are main outcomes. ..
- Interplay between the Endocrine and Innate Systems of DrosphilaNeal Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 3, we will test a novel alternative hypothesis that steroid-regulated immune signaling and antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) production facilitate developmental cell death. ..
- Low birth weight, the kidney, and hypertensionBarbara T Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Biological Mechanisms of Arterial Stiffening With Age and Estrogen DeficiencyKERRIE MOREAU; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results should provide new insight into the integrative biological mechanisms by which sex hormone deficiency modulates the age-related reduction in large artery compliance in women as they transition through the menopause. ..
- Sex/Gender Factors in Nicotine AddictionNancy K Mello; Fiscal Year: 2012..cycle phase influence nicotine self-administration, and how acute and chronic treatment with neuroactive gonadal steroid hormones (estradiol, testosterone and progesterone) alters the reinforcing effects of nicotine...
- Sex Hormones and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Transgenic LQT2 RabbitsGideon Koren; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Sex Steroids, and TMJ PainLarry Bellinger; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Cross-Talk Between Estrogen and T Cells Mediated Pathways in Lupus PathogenesisAlessandra B Pernis; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically, we will: 1. Assess the mechanisms by which IBP controls the expression of ERa in T cells. 2. Investigate the role of estrogen on the lupus-like syndrome that develops in the absence of IBP. ..
- Sex steroids and cognition: the marmoset as a new primate modelAGNES LACREUSE; Fiscal Year: 2012..The findings will be of direct relevance for women's cognitive health and should validate the marmoset as a new primate model for furthering our understanding of the neurocognitive effects of sex steroids across the lifespan. ..
- Mechanisms Underlying Sex-Specific Effects of Creatine Supplementation on DepressPATRICIA JOAN ALLEN; Fiscal Year: 2011..This research is highly relevant to public health interests, as creatine is among the most extensively used nutritional supplements to date and the potential for creatine to alter mood may directly impact management of depression. ..
- Gender Effects on Amphetamine-Induced Dopamine Release and Subjective ResponsesMary E McCaul; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Gender differences in Bone Loss and Incident FracturesElizabeth L Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Young Women With Acute Myocardial InfarctionHARLAN MARC KRUMHOLZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to conduct the largest, most comprehensive study of young women with heart attacks to identify the key determinants of their recovery and discover knowledge that will assist us in improving their care. ..
- Mesenteric Lymph Linking Gut & Distant Organ InjuryEdwin A Deitch; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Sex differences in obesity and metabolic diseaseKaren Reue; Fiscal Year: 2013..Understanding the molecular basis of sex differences will shed light on factors that can prevent metabolic disease in both sexes. ..
- Estrogen receptor activity in zebrafish mating behaviorsDANIEL AARON GORELICK; Fiscal Year: 2011..Gaining a better understanding of how estrogens function in the brain may provide insights that will allow us to better combat toxic environmental contaminants and cancer. ..
- Sex Hormones and Rat Anterior Cruciate Ligament StrengthWilliam A Romani; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies are important and they will help direct future studies to identify women at risk for ACL injury and develop novel strategies to prevent their occurrence. ..
- Adolescence, Impulsivity, and Drug Abuse: Sex/HormonesMarilyn E Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2012..The study of impulsivity in drug-seeking behavior will increase our understanding of the etiology, prevention, and treatment of drug abuse. ..
- Smoking, Sex Hormones and PregnancySharon S Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further, this study has the potential to inform new and innovative smoking cessation treatments for women of childbearing age. ..
- Interactions of dynorphin, NKB, and kisspeptin in control of GnRH secretionMichael N Lehman; Fiscal Year: 2013..and functions of the GnRH neuroendocrine system, a detailed knowledge of the pathways by which endogenous gonadal steroid hormones are conveyed to GnRH neurons and control their secretory activity during the ovarian cycle remains ..
- Sex differences in the aversive effects of kappa-opioid receptor activationElena H Chartoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given that the majority of sex differences have been linked to actions of circulating gonadal steroid hormones, this proposal uses two complementary approaches to test the role of gonadal hormones in kappa-opioid ..
- Sex/Gender and Nicotine Addiction: Hormones, Behavior and NeuroimagingPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..the menstrual cycle to determine if the effects of nicotine are influenced by changes in the neuroactive gonadal steroid hormones that define phases of the menstrual cycle...
- Open Angle Glaucoma in Soluble Guanylate Cyclase Alpha 1 Deficient MiceEmmanuel S Buys; Fiscal Year: 2013..We furthermore expect to identify cGMP signaling as a promising therapeutic target in the treatment of OAG. ..
- Gender Differences in Caloric Restriction CardioprotectionLin Yan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Sex Differences in Vascular Markers of Stroke RiskCheryl D Bushnell; Fiscal Year: 2012..This could naturally lead to development of a predictive panel of markers for future stroke risk. ..
- Risk Factors for Gout Among WomenHyon Choi; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will build upon our previous work on gout among men to comprehensively extend our investigation of risk factors for gout specifically among women in the Nurses'Health Study. ..
- MEMBRANE DYNAMICS AND STEROL BIOSYNTHESIS IN YEASTRobin Wright; Fiscal Year: 1999..This information has medical significance for understanding the regulation of cholesterol synthesis and may also uncover novel approaches for clinical therapies aimed at controlling cholesterol biosynthesis in vivo. ..
- Phytoestrogens as an alternative treatment for MSLarry Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hormone Mediated Knee Joint Laxity and NeuromechanicsSANDRA SHULTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- GENETIC SUSCEPTIBILITY TO HORMONAL CARCINOGENESISROLF PERSSON; Fiscal Year: 2000..It gives prospects for better definition of individual susceptibility and thereby a possibility for selective advice and improved cancer prevention. ..
- ANDROGEN AS ADJUNCT THERAPY IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITISJohn Davis; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Gender-Specific Role of p202 in Lupus SusceptibilityDivaker Choubey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our studies will increase the understanding of the molecular basis of sex bias in lupus disease and could potentially lead to better diagnostic tools as well as disease monitoring, and effective treatments. 1 ..
- Serum Sex Hormones and Cardiovascular Risk in the MACSAdrian Dobs; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will lead to a better understanding of the contribution and temporal nature of low sex hormones to metabolic diseases. ..