Genomes and Genes
Summary: An alkylating nitrogen mustard that is used as an antineoplastic in the form of the levo isomer - MELPHALAN, the racemic mixture - MERPHALAN, and the dextro isomer - MEDPHALAN; toxic to bone marrow, but little vesicant action; potential carcinogen.
Publications341 found, 100 shown here
- Prospective oral mucositis audit: oral mucositis in patients receiving high-dose melphalan or BEAM conditioning chemotherapy--European Blood and Marrow Transplantation Mucositis Advisory GroupNicole Blijlevens
Department of Hematology, University Medical Center St Radboud, PO Box 9101 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:1519-25. 2008....
- Bortezomib-melphalan-prednisone-thalidomide followed by maintenance with bortezomib-thalidomide compared with bortezomib-melphalan-prednisone for initial treatment of multiple myeloma: a randomized controlled trialAntonio Palumbo
Myeloma Unit, Division of Hematology, University of Torino, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria A O U S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 28:5101-9. 2010The combination of bortezomib-melphalan-prednisone (VMP) is a new standard of care for newly diagnosed multiple myeloma...
- Outcome of AL amyloidosis after high-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation: long-term results in a series of 421 patientsMaria Teresa Cibeira
Amyloid Treatment and Research Program, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Blood 118:4346-52. 2011Previous studies have suggested that, in patients with AL amyloidosis treated with high-dose melphalan and autologous stem-cell transplantation (HDM/SCT), the greatest benefit is seen in those patients achieving a hematologic complete ..
- Genotypic and phenotypic comparisons of de novo and acquired melphalan resistance in an isogenic multiple myeloma cell line modelLori A Hazlehurst
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, at the University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Cancer Res 63:7900-6. 2003..To examine mechanisms of cellular resistance to melphalan, we compared genotypic and phenotypic profiles of acquired and de novo melphalan resistance in an isogenic human ..
- A randomized phase 3 study on the effect of thalidomide combined with adriamycin, dexamethasone, and high-dose melphalan, followed by thalidomide maintenance in patients with multiple myelomaHenk M Lokhorst
University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Blood 115:1113-20. 2010..After induction therapy and stem cell mobilization, patients were to receive high-dose melphalan, 200 mg/m(2), followed by maintenance with alpha-interferon (arm A) or thalidomide 50 mg daily (arm B)...
- Intravitreal melphalan for refractory or recurrent vitreous seeding from retinoblastomaFariba Ghassemi
Eye Research Center, Farabi Eye Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Arch Ophthalmol 130:1268-71. 2012..To evaluate the efficacy and complications of intravitreal chemotherapy for viable vitreous seeding from retinoblastoma...
- Inhibition of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 function enhances the sensitivity of multiple myeloma cells to melphalanYongzhen Hu
Department of Hematology and Oncology, University of Yamanashi, Yamanashi, Japan
Mol Cancer Ther 8:2329-38. 2009..by echinomycin, a specific HIF-1 inhibitor, or a siRNA against HIF-1alpha resulted in enhanced sensitivity to melphalan in myeloma cells...
- Experimental study enhancing the chemosensitivity of multiple myeloma to melphalan by using a tissue-specific APE1-silencing RNA expression vectorZhen Zhou Yang
Department of Hematology, Xinqiao Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, PR China
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 7:296-304. 2007....
- Bortezomib, melphalan, and prednisone versus bortezomib, thalidomide, and prednisone as induction therapy followed by maintenance treatment with bortezomib and thalidomide versus bortezomib and prednisone in elderly patients with untreated multiple myelomMaria Victoria Mateos
University Hospital of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Lancet Oncol 11:934-41. 2010Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone (VMP) is significantly better than melphalan plus prednisone alone for elderly patients with untreated multiple myeloma; however, toxic effects are high...
- A comparison of the cytogenetic alterations and global DNA hypomethylation induced by the benzene metabolite, hydroquinone, with those induced by melphalan and etoposideZ Ji
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Leukemia 24:986-91. 2010..with HQ for 48 h, and compared the HQ-induced alterations with those induced by two well-known leukemogens, melphalan, an alkylating agent, and etoposide, a DNA topoisomerase II inhibitor...
- Melphalan, prednisone, and lenalidomide treatment for newly diagnosed myeloma: a report from the GIMEMA--Italian Multiple Myeloma NetworkAntonio Palumbo
Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 25:4459-65. 2007Lenalidomide has shown significant antimyeloma activity in clinical studies. Oral melphalan, prednisone, and thalidomide have been regarded as the standard of care in elderly multiple myeloma patients...
- Melphalan and its role in the management of patients with multiple myelomaPatrizia Falco
Azienda Ospedaliera San Giovanni Battista, Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, Torino, Italy
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 7:945-57. 2007b>Melphalan is an alkylating agent approved for the treatment of multiple myeloma and ovarian cancer...
- Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone for initial treatment of multiple myelomaJesus F San Miguel
Hospital Universitario Salamanca, CIC, IBMCC USAL CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
N Engl J Med 359:906-17. 2008The standard treatment for patients with multiple myeloma who are not candidates for high-dose therapy is melphalan and prednisone...
- Lenalidomide, melphalan, and prednisone, followed by lenalidomide maintenance, improves health-related quality of life in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma patients aged 65 years or older: results of a randomized phase III trialMeletios A Dimopoulos
University of Athens School of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
Haematologica 98:784-8. 2013..diagnosed multiple myeloma aged 65 years or over were randomized 1:1:1 to nine 4-week cycles of lenalidomide, melphalan, and prednisone, followed by lenalidomide maintenance; or lenalidomide, melphalan, and prednisone, or melphalan ..
- Phase III study of the value of thalidomide added to melphalan plus prednisone in elderly patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: the HOVON 49 StudyPierre Wijermans
Haga Hospital, Leyweg 275, The Hague, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 28:3160-6. 2010For several decades, the treatment of elderly patients with multiple myeloma (MM) has consisted of melphalan and prednisone (MP)...
- Superior outcomes associated with complete response in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma patients treated with nonintensive therapy: analysis of the phase 3 VISTA study of bortezomib plus melphalan-prednisone versus melphalan-prednisoneJean Luc Harousseau
Centre Rene Gauducheau, Nantes St Herblain, France
Blood 116:3743-50. 2010The phase 3 Velcade as Initial Standard Therapy in Multiple Myeloma: Assessment with Melphalan and Prednisone study in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma patients ineligible for high-dose therapy demonstrated that bortezomib-melphalan-..
- The FA/BRCA pathway is involved in melphalan-induced DNA interstrand cross-link repair and accounts for melphalan resistance in multiple myeloma cellsQing Chen
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology and Experimental Therapeutics Program, Biostatistics Core Facility, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute at University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Dr, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Blood 106:698-705. 2005b>Melphalan, a DNA cross-linker, is one of the most widely used and effective drugs in the treatment of multiple myeloma (MM)...
- Long-term results of tumor necrosis factor alpha- and melphalan-based isolated limb perfusion in locally advanced extremity soft tissue sarcomasJan P Deroose
Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 29:4036-44. 2011..or facilitate function-preserving surgery can be achieved by tumor necrosis factor α (TNF) -based and melphalan-based isolated limb perfusion (TM-ILP)...
- Isolated limb perfusion with the tumor-targeting human monoclonal antibody-cytokine fusion protein L19-TNF plus melphalan and mild hyperthermia in patients with locally advanced extremity melanomaFrancesco Papadia
Department of Surgery DI C M I, Genoa University, Genoa, Italy
J Surg Oncol 107:173-9. 2013..This exploratory trial evaluates safety and clinical activity of L19-TNF plus melphalan-containing isolated limb perfusion (ILP) in extremity melanoma patients.
- The novel, orally bioavailable HSP90 inhibitor NVP-HSP990 induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in multiple myeloma cells and acts synergistically with melphalan by increased cleavage of caspasesBritta Lamottke
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Haematol 88:406-15. 2012..Exposure of MM cells to a combination of NVP-HSP990 and either melphalan or histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors caused synergistic inhibition of viability, increased induction of ..
- Phase II study of melphalan, thalidomide and prednisone combined with oral panobinostat in patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myelomaMassimo Offidani
Clinica di Ematologia, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Ospedali Riuniti, Ancona, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 53:1722-7. 2012The combination of melphalan, prednisone and thalidomide (MPT) has demonstrated efficacy and acceptable toxicity in newly diagnosed and relapsed/refractory patients with multiple myeloma (MM)...
- Pharmacokinetic analysis of melphalan after superselective ophthalmic artery infusion in preclinical models and retinoblastoma patientsPaula Schaiquevich
CONICET, Clinical Pharmacokinetics Unit, Hospital de Pediatria JP Garrahan, and Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:4205-12. 2012To characterize melphalan pharmacokinetics after superselective ophthalmic artery infusion (SSOAI) in animals and children with retinoblastoma.
- Phase I study of continuous-infusion L-S,R-buthionine sulfoximine with intravenous melphalanH H Bailey
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, Madison 53792, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 89:1789-96. 1997..We performed a phase I study of BSO administered with the anticancer drug melphalan to determine the combination's safety/tolerability and to determine clinically whether BSO produced the desired ..
- Isolated limb perfusion with high-dose tumor necrosis factor-alpha in combination with interferon-gamma and melphalan for nonresectable extremity soft tissue sarcomas: a multicenter trialA M Eggermont
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 14:2653-65. 1996..limb perfusion (ILP) with tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF) in combination with interferon-gamma (IFN) and melphalan as induction therapy to render tumors resectable and avoid amputation in patients with nonresectable extremity ..
- Efficacy and complications of super-selective intra-ophthalmic artery melphalan for the treatment of refractory retinoblastomaWisam J Muen
Retinoblastoma Unit, Barts and The London NHS Trust, Royal London Hospital, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 119:611-6. 2012To report the efficacy of super-selective intra-ophthalmic artery melphalan (IAM) for the treatment of refractory retinoblastoma and any associated complications of this treatment.
- Thalidomide for previously untreated elderly patients with multiple myeloma: meta-analysis of 1685 individual patient data from 6 randomized clinical trialsPeter M Fayers
Institute of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Blood 118:1239-47. 2011..Six randomized controlled trials, launched in or after 2000, compared melphalan and prednisone alone (MP) and with thalidomide (MPT). The effect on overall survival (OS) varied across trials...
- Lenalidomide, melphalan, prednisone and thalidomide (RMPT) for relapsed/refractory multiple myelomaA Palumbo
Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, AOU S Giovanni Battista, Turin, Italy
Leukemia 24:1037-42. 2010..non-comparative phase II trial evaluated the safety and efficacy of salvage therapy with lenalidomide, melphalan, prednisone and thalidomide (RMPT) in patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma (MM)...
- High-dose melphalan and autologous stem-cell transplantation in patients with AL amyloidosis: an 8-year studyMartha Skinner
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:85-93. 2004..AL amyloidosis is a fatal disease resulting from tissue deposition of amyloid fibrils derived from monoclonal immunoglobulin light chains. Treatment with oral chemotherapy is minimally effective...
- Efficacy of melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide in patients older than 75 years with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: IFM 01/01 trialCyrille Hulin
Service d Hematologie, rue du Morvan, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nancy Brabois, 54511 Vandoeuvre, France
J Clin Oncol 27:3664-70. 2009Until recently, melphalan and prednisone were the standards of care in elderly patients with multiple myeloma. The addition of thalidomide to this combination demonstrated a survival benefit for patients age 65 to 75 years...
- Thalidomide-dexamethasone compared with melphalan-prednisolone in elderly patients with multiple myelomaHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine I, Wilhelminenspital Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Blood 113:3435-42. 2009We compared thalidomide-dexamethasone (TD) with melphalan-prednisolone (MP) in 289 elderly patients with multiple myeloma (MM)...
- The Prospective Oral Mucositis Audit: relationship of severe oral mucositis with clinical and medical resource use outcomes in patients receiving high-dose melphalan or BEAM-conditioning chemotherapy and autologous SCTS McCann
Department of Haematology, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Bone Marrow Transplant 43:141-7. 2009..in 197 patients with multiple myeloma (MM) or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) undergoing, respectively, high-dose melphalan or BEAM chemotherapy and autologous SCT at 25 European centres...
- The combination of bortezomib, melphalan, dexamethasone and intermittent thalidomide is an effective regimen for relapsed/refractory myeloma and is associated with improvement of abnormal bone metabolism and angiogenesisE Terpos
Department of Hematology and Medical Research, 251 General Air Force Hospital, Athens, Greece
Leukemia 22:2247-56. 2008This phase 2 study aimed to determine the efficacy and safety of the combination of bortezomib, melphalan, dexamethasone and intermittent thalidomide (VMDT) and its effect on bone remodeling and angiogenesis in relapsed/refractory ..
- Reduced intensity conditioning with thiotepa, fludarabine, and melphalan is effective in advanced multiple myelomaIgnazio Majolino
Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera S Camillo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 48:759-66. 2007..siblings using a reduced-intensity conditioning consisting of thioteopa 5 mg/kg, fludarabine 90 mg/m(2), and melphalan 80 mg/m(2). Their median age was 52 years (range 38 - 68) and the interval from diagnosis 12 months...
- Oral melphalan, prednisone, and thalidomide in elderly patients with multiple myeloma: updated results of a randomized controlled trialAntonio Palumbo
Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
Blood 112:3107-14. 2008The initial analysis of the oral combination melphalan, prednisone, and thalidomide (MPT) in newly diagnosed patients with myeloma showed significantly higher response rate and longer progression-free survival (PFS) than did the standard ..
- Prospective randomised trial of amifostine cytoprotection in myeloma patients undergoing high-dose melphalan conditioned autologous stem cell transplantationA Spencer
Clinical Haematology and BMT, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Bone Marrow Transplant 35:971-7. 2005..transplantation (ASCT) were randomised to receive (n=43) or not receive (n=47) amifostine 910 mg/m(2) prior to melphalan 200 mg/m(2)...
- Phase I study of hepatic arterial melphalan infusion and hepatic venous hemofiltration using percutaneously placed catheters in patients with unresectable hepatic malignanciesJames F Pingpank
Surgical Metabolism Section, Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1502, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:3465-74. 2005We conducted a phase I study of a 30-minute hepatic artery infusion of melphalan via a percutaneously placed catheter and hepatic venous hemofiltration using a double balloon catheter positioned in the retrohepatic inferior vena cava to ..
- Targeted delivery of tumor necrosis factor-alpha to tumor vessels induces a therapeutic T cell-mediated immune response that protects the host against syngeneic tumors of different histologic originEnrica Balza
Department of Translational Oncology, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Unit of Innovative Therapies, Istituto Giannina Gaslini, Centro Biotecnologie Avanzate, Genoa, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 12:2575-82. 2006..for the oncofetal ED-B domain of fibronectin and tumor necrosis factor alpha, TNFalpha) in combination with melphalan induced complete and long-lasting tumor eradication in tumor-bearing mice and triggered the generation of a ..
- Pegfilgrastim compared with filgrastim after high-dose melphalan and autologous hematopoietic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma patientsMassimo Martino
Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Bianchi Melacrino Morelli, Reggio Calabria, Italy
Eur J Haematol 77:410-5. 2006We undertook a comparative study of Pegfilgrastim vs. Filgrastim after high-dose melphalan and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation (APBSCT) in multiple myeloma (MM) patients...
- Rapid induction of complete donor chimerism by the use of a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen composed of fludarabine and melphalan in allogeneic stem cell transplantation for metastatic solid tumorsNaoto T Ueno
Department of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 448, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 102:3829-36. 2003We evaluated the feasibility and efficacy of a reduced-intensity conditioning (RIC) regimen of fludarabine and melphalan to achieve rapid complete donor chimerism after allogeneic stem cell transplantation (SCT) in patients with ..
- Apoptosis of human carcinoma cells in the presence of potential anti-cancer drugs: III. Treatment of Colo-205 and SKBR3 cells with: cis -platin, Tamoxifen, Melphalan, Betulinic acid, L-PDMP, L-PPMP, and GD3 gangliosideSubhash Basu
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Glycoconj J 20:563-77. 2004..Cancer cells are non-apoptotic. Seven anti-cancer agents (cis -platin, Tamoxifen, Melphalan, Betulinic acid, D-PDMP, L-PPMP, and GD3) have been tested with human breast (SKBR3) and colon (Colo-205) ..
- Pentoxifyllin attenuates the systemic inflammatory response induced during isolated limb perfusion with recombinant human tumor necrosis factor-alpha and melphalanPeter Hohenberger
Division of Surgery and Surgical Oncology, Robert Rössle Hospital and Tumor Institute, Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Ann Surg Oncol 10:562-8. 2003Isolated limb perfusion (ILP) with recombinant human tumor necrosis factor-alpha (rhTNF-alpha) and melphalan harbors the risk of septic shock-like syndrome...
- Isolated hepatic perfusion for the treatment of patients with colorectal cancer liver metastases after irinotecan-based therapyH Richard Alexander
Surgical Metabolism Section, Surgery Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1502, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 12:138-44. 2005..However, the response duration is <1 year, and second-line systemic chemotherapy has limited efficacy. We analyzed the efficacy of isolated hepatic perfusion (IHP) for patients with progressive CRC liver metastases after irinotecan...
- Therapy-induced antitumor vaccination by targeting tumor necrosis factor alpha to tumor vessels in combination with melphalanLorenzo Mortara
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Eur J Immunol 37:3381-92. 2007..targeted to tumor vasculature by the anti-ED-B fibronectin domain antibody L19(scFv) and combined with melphalan, induces a therapeutic immune response...
- Effectiveness of regional chemotherapy with TNF-alpha/melphalan in advanced soft tissue sarcoma of the extremitiesG Taeger
West German Cancer Centre, University Hospital of Essen, Marburg, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 24:193-203. 2008Hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion with tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) and melphalan was repeatedly reported to achieve extraordinarily high clinical remission rates in advanced and non-resectable soft tissue sarcoma of the ..
- A phase I/II study of direct intraarterial (ophthalmic artery) chemotherapy with melphalan for intraocular retinoblastoma initial resultsDavid H Abramson
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ophthalmology 115:1398-404, 1404.e1. 2008..to cannulate repeatedly the ophthalmic artery of young children with advanced retinoblastoma, to find a dose of melphalan that would be tolerable and tumoricidal for retinoblastoma when given intraarterially, and to study the local ..
- Consolidation therapy with low-dose thalidomide and prednisolone prolongs the survival of multiple myeloma patients undergoing a single autologous stem-cell transplantation procedureAndrew Spencer
Malignant Haematology and Stem Cell Transplantation Service, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Oncol 27:1788-93. 2009..This study assessed whether the addition of thalidomide consolidation following ASCT would improve the durability of responses achieved and overall survival...
- Isolated hepatic perfusion with high-dose melphalan results in immediate alterations in tumor gene expression in patients with metastatic ocular melanomaSheelu Varghese
Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1870-7. 2010..In this study, we characterized the early molecular changes that occur in tumors immediately after vascular isolation perfusion with melphalan with hyperthermia in patients with hepatic metastases from ocular melanoma.
- Pegfilgrastim reduces the length of hospitalization and the time to engraftment in multiple myeloma patients treated with melphalan 200 and auto-SCT compared with filgrastimPanagiotis Samaras
Department of Oncology, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Hematol 90:89-94. 2011..engraftment, hospital stay, and supportive measures in patients with multiple myeloma after conditioning with Melphalan 200 (Mel200) followed by APBSCT...
- Tumor vascularization and histopathologic regression of soft tissue sarcomas treated with isolated limb perfusion with TNF-α and melphalanFlorian Grabellus
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, Sarcoma Center, West German Cancer Center, University Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
J Surg Oncol 103:371-9. 2011..Some tumors show an insufficient association between radiological and pathological response. We investigated STS after TM-ILP with a primary emphasis on histologic regression patterns...
- Isolated limb perfusion with TNF-alpha and melphalan for distal parts of the limb in soft tissue sarcoma patientsJan P Deroose
Division of Surgical Oncology, Daniel den Hoed Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Surg Oncol 105:563-9. 2012..Tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF) and melphalan-based isolated limb perfusion (TM-ILP) is effective in locally advanced STS of the extremities...
- Generation of a predictive melphalan resistance index by drug screen of B-cell cancer cell linesMartin Boegsted
Department of Haematology, Aalborg Hospital Science and Innovation Center, Aarhus University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
PLoS ONE 6:e19322. 2011..MM) a range of new drugs have been introduced and now challenge conventional therapy including high dose melphalan. Consequently, the generation of predictive signatures for response to melphalan may have a clinical impact...
- Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone compared with melphalan and prednisone in previously untreated multiple myeloma: updated follow-up and impact of subsequent therapy in the phase III VISTA trialMaria Victoria Mateos
Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Paseo San Vicente 58 182, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
J Clin Oncol 28:2259-66. 2010The purpose of this study was to confirm overall survival (OS) and other clinical benefits with bortezomib, melphalan, and prednisone (VMP) versus melphalan and prednisone (MP) in the phase III VISTA (Velcade as Initial Standard Therapy ..
- Association between transcriptional activity, local chromatin structure, and the efficiencies of both subpathways of nucleotide excision repair of melphalan adductsHara Episkopou
Institute of Biological Research and Biotechnology, National Hellenic Research Foundation, Athens, Greece
Cancer Res 69:4424-33. 2009The repair of melphalan-induced N-alkylpurine monoadducts and interstrand cross-links was examined in different repair backgrounds, focusing on four genes (beta-actin, p53, N-ras, and delta-globin) with dissimilar transcription ..
- Resveratrol chemosensitizes breast cancer cells to melphalan by cell cycle arrestFabiana Casanova
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
J Cell Biochem 113:2586-96. 2012b>Melphalan (MEL) is a chemotherapeutic agent used in breast cancer therapy; however, MEL's side effects limit its clinical applications...
- Thalidomide and dexamethasone vs. bortezomib and dexamethasone for melphalan refractory myeloma: a randomized studyMartin Hjorth
Department of Medicine, Lidköping Hospital, Lidköping, Sweden
Eur J Haematol 88:485-96. 2012..have been frequently used for second-line therapy in patients with myeloma relapsing after or refractory to initial melphalan-based treatment, but no randomized trials have been published comparing these two treatment alternatives.
- Technique and results of hyperthermic isolated hepatic perfusion with tumor necrosis factor and melphalan for the treatment of unresectable hepatic malignanciesS K Libutti
Surgical Metabolism Section, Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1502, USA
J Am Coll Surg 191:519-30. 2000..This article describes the technique of isolated hepatic perfusion using tumor necrosis factor and melphalan under conditions of moderate hyperthermia for the treatment of unresectable liver tumors...
- Intermediate doses of melphalan and dexamethasone are better than vincristine, adriamycin, and dexamethasone (VAD) and polychemotherapy for the treatment of primary plasma cell leukemiaJ Vela-Ojeda
Department of Hematology, Hospital de Especialidades Centro Médico Nacional La Raza, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Apartado postal 14 878, Código postal 07001, Mexico D F, Mexico
Ann Hematol 81:362-7. 2002..Four patients were treated with vincristine, melphalan, cyclophosphamide, prednisone, and adriamycin (VMCPA), 12 with vincristine, adriamycin, and dexamethasone (VAD), ..
- Intermediate-dose melphalan improves survival of myeloma patients aged 50 to 70: results of a randomized controlled trialAntonio Palumbo
Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, Ospedale Molinette, Via Genova 3, 10126 Torino, Italy
Blood 104:3052-7. 2004..study, 194 patients were randomized to receive at diagnosis either conventional chemotherapy (6 courses of oral melphalan and prednisone [MP]) or intermediate-dose therapy (2 courses of melphalan at 100 mg/m(2) [MEL100]) with stem ..
- High-dose melphalan and peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for light-chain amyloidosis with cardiac involvementSumit Madan
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Blood 119:1117-22. 2012High-dose melphalan (HDM) plus stem cell transplantation is an effective treatment for light-chain amyloidosis (AL), but is associated with high treatment-related mortality in patients with cardiac involvement...
- Long-term outcomes after reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic stem cell transplantation for low-grade lymphoma: a survey by the French Society of Bone Marrow Graft Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (SFGM-TC)Stephane Vigouroux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Haematologica 92:627-34. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the outcome of patients with LGL treated with RIC allogeneic SCT...
- Long-term results of melphalan-based isolated limb perfusion with or without low-dose TNF for in-transit melanoma metastasesCarlo Riccardo Rossi
Department of Oncological and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 17:3000-7. 2010..of the perfused patients; (2) to compare toxicity, response, and survival among patients who underwent melphalan-based perfusion with or without low-dose tumor necrosis factor (TNF); and (3) to identify factors that predict a ..
- BeEAM (bendamustine, etoposide, cytarabine, melphalan) before autologous stem cell transplantation is safe and effective for resistant/relapsed lymphoma patientsGiuseppe Visani
Hematology and Stem Cell Transplant Center, Marche Nord Hospital, Pesaro, Italy
Blood 118:3419-25. 2011..180 mg/m², and 200 mg/m² given on days -7 and -6) coupled with fixed doses of etoposide, cytarabine, and melphalan (BeEAM regimen) as the conditioning regimen to autologous stem cell transplantation for resistant/relapsed ..
- Repair of DNA interstrand crosslinks as a mechanism of clinical resistance to melphalan in multiple myelomaVictoria J Spanswick
Cancer Research UK Drug DNA Interactions Research Group, Department of Oncology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Blood 100:224-9. 2002b>Melphalan is widely used as a preparative agent in patients with multiple myeloma (MM) undergoing autologous stem cell transplantation (SCT)...
- Predictors of survival in patients with systemic light-chain amyloidosis and cardiac involvement initially ineligible for stem cell transplantation and treated with oral melphalan and dexamethasoneD Lebovic
Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell School of Medicine, New York Hospital, NY, USA
Br J Haematol 143:369-73. 2008..AL cardiac patients who were not candidates for stem cell transplant and therefore received monthly oral melphalan and dexamethasone. Median survival was 10...
- Addition of thalidomide to oral melphalan/prednisone in patients with multiple myeloma not eligible for transplantation: results of a randomized trial from the Turkish Myeloma Study GroupMeral Beksac
Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Haematol 86:16-22. 2011The combination of melphalan-prednisone-thalidomide (MPT) has been investigated in several clinical studies that differed significantly with regard to patient characteristics and treatment schedules...
- Hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion with tumor necrosis factor-alpha and melphalan in patients with locally advanced soft tissue sarcomas: treatment response and clinical outcome related to changes in proliferation and apoptosisB E Plaat
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Clin Cancer Res 5:1650-7. 1999Hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion with tumor necrosis factor-alpha and melphalan (HILP-TM) with or without IFN-gamma is a promising local treatment in patients with locally advanced extremity soft tissue sarcomas (STSs), with response ..
- Selective ophthalmic arterial injection therapy for intraocular retinoblastoma: the long-term prognosisShigenobu Suzuki
Division of Ophthalmic Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ophthalmology 118:2081-7. 2011..To report the success rate, adverse events, and long-term prognosis of selective ophthalmic arterial injection (SOAI) therapy for intraocular retinoblastoma...
- Hyperthermia modifies pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution of intraperitoneal melphalan in a rat modelO Glehen
Surgical Department, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Lyon Sud, 69495 Pierre Benite, France
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 54:79-84. 2004..b>Melphalan is a chemotherapeutic agent that shows increased pharmacological activity with heat...
- Renal response after high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation is a favorable marker in patients with primary systemic amyloidosisNelson Leung
Division of Nephrology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 46:270-7. 2005..High-dose melphalan followed by autologous stem cell transplantation currently has become the treatment of choice...
- Prerequisites for effective isolated limb perfusion using tumour necrosis factor alpha and melphalan in ratsJ H de Wilt
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt Daniel den Hoed Cancer Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 80:161-6. 1999..Combination of 50 microg TNF and 40 microg melphalan demonstrated synergistic activity leading to a partial and complete response rate of 71%...
- Cytogenetically defined myelodysplasia after melphalan-based autotransplantation for multiple myeloma linked to poor hematopoietic stem-cell mobilization: the Arkansas experience in more than 3,000 patients treated since 1989Bart Barlogie
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Blood 111:94-100. 2008..While the risk of MDS-CAs was low and clinical MDS occurred infrequently, monitoring after post-HDT consolidation chemotherapy appears warranted...
- Melphalan as a treatment for BRCA-related ovarian carcinoma: can you teach an old drug new tricks?Deidra J Osher
Department of Medical Genetics, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Pathol 64:924-6. 2011..The patient was subsequently treated with oral melphalan therapy and has not recurred in over 25 years...
- Expression of multidrug resistance genes MVP, MDR1, and MRP1 determined sequentially before, during, and after hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion of soft tissue sarcoma and melanoma patientsUlrike Stein
Division of Surgery and Surgical Oncology, Charite, Humboldt University, Campus Berlin Buch, Robert Rössle Hospital and Tumor Institute, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13092 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Oncol 20:3282-92. 2002Isolated, hyperthermic limb perfusion (ILP) with recombinant human tumor necrosis factor alpha and melphalan is a highly effective treatment for advanced soft tissue sarcoma (STS) and locoregional metastatic malignant melanoma...
- Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone vs. lenalidomide plus melphalan and prednisone: a retrospective study in newly diagnosed elderly myelomaFrancesca Gay
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Eur J Haematol 85:200-8. 2010The goal of this retrospective study was to compare the efficacy and toxicity of lenalidomide-dexamethasone (len/dex) vs. melphalan-prednisone-lenalidomide (MPR) as upfront therapy for newly diagnosed elderly patients with myeloma.
- Association of melphalan and high-dose dexamethasone is effective and well tolerated in patients with AL (primary) amyloidosis who are ineligible for stem cell transplantationGiovanni Palladini
Amyloid Center Biotechnology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, University Hospital, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Blood 103:2936-8. 2004..Patients ineligible for ASCT are usually treated with standard oral melphalan and prednisone, but the response rate to this regimen is unsatisfactory, and time to response is long...
- Fludarabine-melphalan as a preparative regimen for reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic stem cell transplantation in relapsed and refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma: the updated M.D. Anderson Cancer Center experiencePaolo Anderlini
The U T M D Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 423, Houston, TX 77030 USA
Haematologica 93:257-64. 2008..We here present an update of our single-center experience with fludarabine-melphalan as a preparative regimen.
- Changes in quality-of-life and psychosocial adjustment among multiple myeloma patients treated with high-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantationAllen C Sherman
Behavioral Medicine, Winthrop P Rockefeller Cancer Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:12-20. 2009High-dose melphalan and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is a standard treatment for myeloma, but very little is known about the psychosocial or quality-of-life difficulties that these patients encounter during ..
- High-dose melphalan versus melphalan plus dexamethasone for AL amyloidosisArnaud Jaccard
Department of Hematology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Université et Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 6101, Limoges, France
N Engl J Med 357:1083-93. 2007....
- Long-term outcome of patients with AL amyloidosis treated with high-dose melphalan and stem-cell transplantationVaishali Sanchorawala
Stem Cell Transplantation Program of the Section of Hematology Oncology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Blood 110:3561-3. 2007..outcome were determined for 80 patients with immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis treated with high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation (HDM/SCT) more than 10 years ago...
- Substitution of cyclophosphamide and busulfan by fludarabine, treosulfan and melphalan in a preparative regimen for children and adolescents with Shwachman-Diamond syndromeM Sauer
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Hannover Medical University, Hannover, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 39:143-7. 2007..In an attempt to minimize regimen-related toxicity (RRT), we have initiated a fludarabine/treosulfan/melphalan-based pilot protocol avoiding the combination of busulfan and cyclophosphamide...
- Isolated limb perfusion with tumor necrosis factor and melphalan for non-resectable soft tissue sarcomas: long-term results on efficacy and limb salvage in a selected group of patientsStephane Cherix
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Surg Oncol 98:148-55. 2008Isolated limb perfusion with TNF-alpha and melphalan (TM-ILP) is a limb salvage therapy for non-resectable soft tissue sarcomas (STS) of the extremities...
- Targeting the Fanconi anemia/BRCA pathway circumvents drug resistance in multiple myelomaDanielle N Yarde
Cancer Biology Ph D Program, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer Res 69:9367-75. 2009..We recently reported that FA/BRCA genes are overexpressed and causative for drug resistance in human melphalan-resistant multiple myeloma cell lines...
- Melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide or placebo in elderly patients with multiple myelomaAnders Waage
Department of Hematology, St Olavs Hospital, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Blood 116:1405-12. 2010..placebo-controlled study, 363 patients with untreated multiple myeloma were randomized to receive either melphalan-prednisone and thalidomide (MPT) or melphalan-prednisone and placebo (MP). The dose of melphalan was 0...
- High-dose melphalan, etoposide, total-body irradiation, and autologous stem-cell reconstitution as consolidation therapy for high-risk Ewing's sarcoma does not improve prognosisP A Meyers
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:2812-20. 2001To determine whether consolidation therapy with high-dose melphalan, etoposide, and total-body irradiation (TBI) with autologous stem-cell support would improve the prognosis for patients with newly diagnosed metastatic Ewing's sarcoma (..
- High-dose chemotherapy with hematopoietic stem-cell rescue for multiple myelomaJ Anthony Child
Academic Unit of Haematology and Oncology, Cancer Research United Kingdom Clinical Centre, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 348:1875-83. 2003..In multiple myeloma, first-line regimens incorporating high-dose therapy yield higher remission rates than do conventional-dose treatments, but evidence that this translates into improved survival is limited...
- Intermediate-dose melphalan compared with myeloablative treatment in multiple myeloma: long-term follow-up of the Dutch Cooperative Group HOVON 24 trialPieter Sonneveld
Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Haematologica 92:928-35. 2007..The Dutch-Belgian HOVON group performed a randomized phase 3 trial to compare single non-myeloablative intensive treatment with double, intensive treatment in previously untreated patients with multiple myeloma (MM)...
- Thalidomide versus bortezomib based regimens as first-line therapy for patients with multiple myeloma: a systematic reviewAmbuj Kumar
Center for Evidence based Medicine and Health Outcome Research, University of South Florida
Am J Hematol 86:18-24. 2011Thalidomide (T) or bortezomib (B) in combination with melphalan plus prednisone (MP) is superior to MP as first line therapy for previously untreated myeloma...
- Thalidomide and hematopoietic-cell transplantation for multiple myelomaBart Barlogie
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
N Engl J Med 354:1021-30. 2006High-dose therapy with melphalan can prolong survival among patients with multiple myeloma. We assessed whether the addition of thalidomide, which has activity against advanced and refractory myeloma, would further improve survival.
- Fewer bone disease events, improvement in bone remodeling, and evidence of bone healing with bortezomib plus melphalan-prednisone vs. melphalan-prednisone in the phase III VISTA trial in multiple myelomaMichel Delforge
Myeloma Study Group, Belgian Hematological Society, Belgium
Eur J Haematol 86:372-84. 2011..This post hoc analysis of the phase III VISTA trial of bortezomib plus melphalan-prednisone (VMP) vs...
- Evaluation of 47 soft tissue sarcoma resection specimens after isolated limb perfusion with TNF-alpha and melphalan: histologically characterized improved margins correlate with absence of recurrencesFlorian Grabellus
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital Essen and Sarcoma Center at the West German Cancer Center, University of Duisburg Essen, 45122 Essen, Germany
Ann Surg Oncol 16:676-86. 2009..Isolated limb perfusion (TM-ILP) is an effective limb-sparing treatment for primarily nonresectable soft tissue sarcomas (STS). Surgical margins of STS after ILP were yet not systematically studied...
- Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone in elderly untreated patients with multiple myeloma: results of a multicenter phase 1/2 studyMaria Victoria Mateos
Hematology Division, Grupo Español de MM, Spain Paseo San Vicente 58 182 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Blood 108:2165-72. 2006..first-line treatment for elderly multiple myeloma (MM) patients ineligible for stem cell transplantation is melphalan plus prednisone (MP). However, complete responses (CRs) are rare...
- Tumour necrosis factor alpha increases melphalan concentration in tumour tissue after isolated limb perfusionJ H de Wilt
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam Dijkzigt Daniel den Hoed Cancer Centre, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 82:1000-3. 2000..possible mechanisms for the synergistic anti-tumour effects between tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) and melphalan after isolated limb perfusion (ILP) have been presented...
- Synergistic cytotoxicity of buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) and intensive melphalan (L-PAM) for neuroblastoma cell lines established at relapse after myeloablative therapyC P Anderson
Division of Hematology Oncology, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 30:135-40. 2002..We examined the ability of buthionine sulfoximine (BSO)-mediated glutathione (GSH) depletion to modulate melphalan (L-PAM) resistance in five NB cell lines established after progressive disease following myeloablative therapy (..
- Aneugenic potential of the nitrogen mustard analogues melphalan, chlorambucil and p-N,N-bis(2-chloroethyl)aminophenylacetic acid in cell cultures in vitroM Efthimiou
Division of Genetics, Cell and Developmental Biology, Department of Biology, University of Patras, Patras 265 00, Greece
Mutat Res 617:125-37. 2007b>Melphalan (MEL), chlorambucil (CAB) and p-N,N-bis(2-chloroethyl)aminophenylacetic acid (PHE) are nitrogen mustard analogues, which are clinically used as chemotherapeutic agents. They also exert carcinogenic activity...
- A phase 1 study of systemic ADH-1 in combination with melphalan via isolated limb infusion in patients with locally advanced in-transit malignant melanomaGeorgia M Beasley
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Cancer 115:4766-74. 2009Isolated limb infusion with melphalan is a well-tolerated treatment for patients with in-transit extremity melanoma with an approximately 30% complete response (CR) rate...
- p53 status correlates with histopathological response in patients with soft tissue sarcomas treated using isolated limb perfusion with TNF-alpha and melphalanJ Muret
Department of AnesthesiaInstitut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Ann Oncol 19:793-800. 2008Recombinant tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) combined to melphalan is clinically administered through isolated limb perfusion (ILP) for regionally advanced soft tissue sarcomas of the limbs...
- Adenine-containing DNA-DNA cross-links of antitumor nitrogen mustardsShawn Balcome
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Room 760E, Box 806 Mayo, 420 Delaware Street Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 17:950-62. 2004..The presence of cross-linked adenine-adenine lesions may explain the enhanced cytotoxicity and mutagenicity of NMs in cells deficient in N3-alkyladenine glycosylase...
- Randomized multicenter trial of hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion with melphalan alone compared with melphalan plus tumor necrosis factor: American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Trial Z0020Wendy R Cornett
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4196-201. 2006..prospective multi-institutional trial whether the addition of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) to a melphalan-based hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion (HILP) treatment would improve the complete response rate for locally ..
- Novel amidine analogue of melphalan as a specific multifunctional inhibitor of growth and metabolism of human breast cancer cellsKrzysztof Bielawski
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Technology, Medical University of Białystok, Kilinskiego 1, 15 089 Białystok, Poland
Biochem Pharmacol 72:320-31. 2006A novel amidine analogue of melphalan (AB4) was compared to its parent drug, melphalan in respect to cytotoxicity, DNA and collagen biosynthesis in MDA-MB-231 and MCF-7 human breast cancer cells...
- Acute left ventricular failure following melphalan and fludarabine conditioningD S Ritchie
Bone Marrow Transplant Service, Department of Clinical Haematology and Medical Oncology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:101-3. 2001Cardiotoxicity has rarely been reported as a complication of melphalan or fludarabine administration as single agents...
- CD34+ cell dose and establishment of full donor chimerism at day +100 are important factors for survival with reduced-intensity conditioning with fludarabine and melphalan before allogeneic hematopoietic SCT for hematologic malignanciesS G Holtan
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:1699-703. 2010The combination of fludarabine and melphalan as a reduced-intensity conditioning (RIC) regimen extends allogeneic hematopoietic SCT (HSCT) as a therapeutic option for elderly or frail patients with relapsed, refractory or other high-risk ..
- Nebraska/Kansas Blood and Marrow Transplant Research NetworkJULIE MARIE VOSE; Fiscal Year: 2013..for patients with relapsed diffuse large B-cell lymphoma using Rituximab/Carmustine, Etoposide, Cytarabine, and Melphalan (R-BEAM) or Bexxar/BEAM + autologous HSCT as the control and R-BEAM or Bexxar/BEAM + autologous HSCT + ..
- Detoxification of Electrophilic Chemical Threat Agents by Nucleophilic ScavengersMichael C MacLeod; Fiscal Year: 2010..Both of these have been shown to completely detoxify the carcinogen BPDE. DTP has also been shown to detoxify melphalan, a nitrogen mustard, and in preliminary studies we have demonstrated facile reaction of DTP with a sulfur ..
- Systemic Chemotherapy of Melanoma: NMR Studies of Lonidamine &N-Mustard ActivityJerry D Glickson; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Melphalan (LPAM 7.5 mg/kg i.v.)+ LND exhibited a growth delay of 10.5[unreadable]0.5 d vs. LND alone, 0.6[unreadable]0.7 d...
- Microenvironment Function Following ChemotherapyLaura F Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pilot data relevant to the current application indicate that primary human osteoblasts exposed to melphalan or VP-16 have diminished CXCL12 expression and chemotactic support and altered support of CD34+ bone marrow cell ..
- Mechanism of Activity of LonidamineJerry D Glickson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have recently shown that administration of lonidamine (LND, 100 mg/kg) substantially enhances the activity of melphalan and have now extended this finding to doxorubicin treatment...
- Predicting Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis with Genetic and Clinical FactorsELIZABETH ANN contact COLEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Severe mucositis is a dose limiting toxicity of high dose melphalan (MEL) with autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT), the cornerstone of treatment of myeloma and other cancers ..
- Improving current therapies for myelomaDAN TOBY VOGL; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) To determine, in a prospective cohort study, whether administration of high-dose melphalan induces autophagy in malignant plasma cells purified from patient bone marrow samples...
- Core Clinical Consortium for Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials NetworkJohn R Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2013..the optimal conditioning regimen for the first HSCT of myeloma patients testing the combination of high-dose melphalan plus bortezomib versus melphalan alone as conditioning prior to autologous hematopoietic stem cell ..
- Inhibition of glutathione reductase and ovarian cancer drug resistance reversalXiangming Guan; Fiscal Year: 2006..first and rate-determining step in GSH biosynthesis significantly increased the sensitivity of the cell line to melphalan, a chemotherapeutic agent...
- DETECTION & REVERSAL OF OVARIAN CANCER DRUG RESISTANCERobert Ozols; Fiscal Year: 1992..pharmacologic depletion of GSH levels with buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) leads to potentiation of cytotoxicity of melphalan and carboplatin, (2) inhibition of GST with ethacrynic acid potentiates the cytotoxicity in vitro and in vivo of ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC HORMONES IN PANCREATIC CANCERAndrew Schally; Fiscal Year: 1991..5) Synthesis of somatostatin analogs containing cytostatic radicals such as Melphalan, Aziridine, Mitomycin C and their evaluation in models of pancreatic cancer as targeted hormonal carriers for ..
- GLUTATHIONE AND RESISTANCE TO CANCER CHEMOTHERAPYOwen Griffith; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: (Applicant's Abstract) Bifunctional alkylating agents (e.g., melphalan, cyclophosphamide, chlorambucil) and platinum antitumor compounds (e.g. cisplatin, carboplatin) are used to treat a wide range of human malignancies...
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUPStephen Lauer; Fiscal Year: 2002..relapsed AML with idarubicin and chlordeoxyadenosine, treatment of relapsed solid tumors with high-dose busulfan/melphalan and ABMT, transplantation of haploidentical CD34+ cells for relapsed ALL or AML, and vincristine plus dose-..
- Minor Histocompatilibity Vaccination After Allo-Transpl*Koen Van Besien; Fiscal Year: 2004..The conditioning regimen will consist of fludarabine-melphalan-campath...
- Glutathione reductase and tumor sensitivity to radiationXiangming Guan; Fiscal Year: 2003..of GR did reduce intracellular GSH and the reduction of GSH led to an increase in the sensitivity of OVCAR-3 to melphalan, a chemotherapeutic agent...
- MicroRNAs Regulating The Fanconi Anemia-BRCA PathwayToshiyasu Taniguchi; Fiscal Year: 2009..by applicant): DNA-crosslinking agents such as cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclophosphamide, mitomycin C and melphalan are widely-used drugs for treatment of cancers including leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma...
- DRUG SEQUENCING RESISTANCE IN MULTIPLE MYELOMADaniel Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 1999..1. To establish the toxicity and potential efficacy of a high-dose regimen sequenced as melphalan followed by topotecan followed by VP-16 phosphate (MTV) followed by peripheral blood stem cell rescue in the ..
- INTERACTION OF AMINOTHIOLS AND ALKYLATING AGENTSFrederick Valeriote; Fiscal Year: 1990..We expect to determine from these studies whether this findings has potential clinical therapeutic application...
- GLUTATHIONE BIOSYSTHESIS AND DRUG RESISTANCER Mulcahy; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- LH-RH ANALOGS IN BREAST AND OVARIAN CANCERAndrew Schally; Fiscal Year: 1991..chemotherapeutic agents; 5) continued synthesis of various LH-RH analogs containing cytostatic radicals such as Melphalan, Aziridine, Mitomycin C and their evaluation in models of breast and ovarian cancer as targeted hormonal ..
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUPHenry Shibata; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- Development of Anticancer 1,2-Bis(sulfonyl)hydrazinesAlan Sartorelli; Fiscal Year: 2009..brain barrier, is active both orally and parenterally, is not cross-resistant with cyclophosphamide, BCNU, or melphalan, and a by-product of its activation, methyl isocyanate, has synergistic cytotoxic activity with the generated ..
- MECHANISMS OF DRUG RESISTANCE IN MULTIPLE MYELOMAWilliam Dalton; Fiscal Year: 1990..Specifically, the mechanism of resistance to doxorubicin and its possible cross resistance with melphalan will be analyzed...
- USE OF LH-RH AGONISTS & ANTAGONISTS IN PROSTATE CANCERAndrew Schally; Fiscal Year: 1993..2) continued synthesis of various agonists and antagonists of LH-RH containing cytotoxic radicals such as Melphalan, Aziridine and Mitomycin C, the evaluation of their binding to LH-RH receptors and testing of their effects in ..
- SYNERGY OF TUMOR CHEMOTHERAPY AND HOST IMMUMITYSHELDON DRAY; Fiscal Year: 1991A single injection of less than one-tenth of the maximal tolerable dose of cyclophosphamide or melphalan cures a BALB/c mouse bearing a large subcutaneous MOPC-315 plasmacytoma and extensive metastases at a late stage of tumor growth, ..
- Akylating agent Water-soluble Sulfonyl Hydrazine ProdrugXu Lin; Fiscal Year: 2001..Various alkylating agents are approved for the treatment of cancer including cyclophosphamide, busulfan, melphalan, nitrogen mustard, chlorambucil, and the nitrosoureas...
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUPRoger Poisson; Fiscal Year: 1991..An ancillary aim is to enhance the multidisciplinary capabilities of this institution in clinical trials...
- MELPHALAN PLUS AMIFOSTINE CYTOPROTECTION CANCER PATIENTSGordon Phillips; Fiscal Year: 1999..aim of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of amifostine in preventing excessive RRT of the chemotherapy drug melphalan used in "transplant doses" of 220mg/m2 and greater...
- ASSAY OF TUMOR INDUCTION BY X-RAY AND DRUG MODALITIESEDGAR RILEY; Fiscal Year: 1980..We also monitor the weights of the rats after treatments and do periodic blood counts looking for hematopoietic changes. ..
- NEW ISOPHOSPHORAMIDE MUSTARD PRODRUGSDavid Farquhar; Fiscal Year: 2005..activities against experimental tumors and human tumor xenografts in mice, (d) organ toxicities in the mouse, and (e) antitumor efficacy compared with IPM and melphalan when administered by limb perfusion in a rat sarcoma tumor model.
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUPRoger Poisson; Fiscal Year: 1980..This group has the same capability to accomplish any new breast cancer protocol as it has done for the protocols already mentioned...
- ROLE OF GRP78 IN ALKYLATING AGENT SENSITIVITYSatadal Chatterjee; Fiscal Year: 2005..in V79 Chinese hamster cells is associated with potentiation of cytotoxicity inflicted by BCNU, cisplatin or melphalan as determined by clonogenic survival assays...
- A Novel Antibody Therapeutic for Multiple MyelomaKoteswara Chintalacharuvu; Fiscal Year: 2004..Although conventional therapy of multiple myeloma with oral melphalan and prednisone can effect remissions in approximately 40% of patients, the disease remains incurable, with a ..
- INTERGROUP RHABDOMYOSARCOMA STUDYGregory Reaman; Fiscal Year: 2002..vs ifosfamide vs ifosfamide + VP-l6, and (2) rank ordering of induction drug doublets (vincristine/melphalan vs ifosfamide/etoposide vs ifosfamide doxorubicin) and their clinical cross-resistance to VAC therapy...
- NF-KB MEDIATED DRUG RESISTANCE IN OVARIAN CANCERDavid Spriggs; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effect of NF-kappaB activation on resistance to the cytotoxicity of CDDP paclitaxel, melphalan, doxorubicin, topotecan and other agents will be examined...
- MECHANISM OF MELPHALAN-MEDIATED TUMOR ERADICATIONMARGALIT MOKYR; Fiscal Year: 1990The main objective of this proposal is to understand the mechanism by which a widely used anticancer drug, melphalan (L- PAM) shifts the balance from immunosuppression to potent antitumor immunity when administered to mice at an advanced ..
- ALLO STEM CELL TRANSPLANT. FOR HIGH RISK HEMOTOLOGIC CAGordon Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2000..agents that are less likely to provoke these cytokines, namely busulfan (or, when busulfan can not be utilized, melphalan) and T10B9 (MEDI-500), a TCRalpha/beta monoclonal antibody in patients selected as requiring allo-SCT for ..
- MELPHALAN CYTOTOXICITY AND RESISTANCE IN MEDULLOBLASTOMAHenry Friedman; Fiscal Year: 1990..specific mechanisms of drug sensitivity, delivery, and resistance in this tumor, and 2) L-phenylalanine mustard (melphalan) and other phenylalanine mustard isomers represent bifunctional alkylating agents highly cytoxic to human ..
- MECHANISM OF MELPHALAN-MEDIATED TUMOR ERADICATIONMARGALIT MOKYR; Fiscal Year: 1992The main objective of this proposal is to understand the mechanism by which a widely used anticancer drug, melphalan (L- PAM); shifts the balance from immunosuppression to potent antitumor immunity when administered to mice at an ..
- MECHANISMS OF ENHANCEMENT OF MELPHALAN CYTOTOXICITYThomas Guenthner; Fiscal Year: 1993..proposed studies is to examine the biochemical mechanisms whereby the cytotoxicity of the DNAalkylating agent melphalan (L-phenylalanine mustard, LPAM) to human melanoma cells is enhanced by the coadministration of two agents, ..
- INTERACTION OF ANTITUMOR AGENTS WITH ACTIVATED ONCOGENESLEONARD ERICKSON; Fiscal Year: 1991..From these studies it is hoped that anti-tumor agents might be selected for use against specific oncogenes due to the ability of the particular anti-tumor agent to efficiently inactivate critical oncogenes in the tumor cell...
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUP (NSABP)David Plotkin; Fiscal Year: 1980..The Memorial Cancer Research Foundation of Southern California provides the mechanism, both fiduciary and logistical, for the accrual of patients into NSABP protocols through the resources provided by ONSC...
- Novel Therapies for Myeloma and Related MalignanciesTodd Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2006..care for multiple myeloma has remained relatively unchanged since the 1960's with the introduction of pulse melphalan and prednisone...
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUP (NSABP)HARVEY LERNER; Fiscal Year: 1980..This institution participates in these protocols. Finally, an aim of this proposal is to enhance the multidisciplinary approach of this institution in clinical trials...
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUP--NSABPHARVEY LERNER; Fiscal Year: 1991..Finally, the aim of this proposal is to enhance the multidisciplinary approach of this institution in these clinical trials...
- BIOLOGIC AND THERAPEUTIC RESEARCH IN MULTIPLE MYELOMABart Barlogie; Fiscal Year: 1992..Laboratory research will be integrated with a clinical program using high dose melphalan and total body irradiation (supported by bone marrow transplantation) as a consolidation therapy after VAD-..
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUPCARL SUTHERLAND; Fiscal Year: 1980..Sutherland is active in designing this protocol. A final aim of this proposal is to use it as a mechanism to continue to stress the multidisciplinary treatment of cancer that has been the philosophy of Tulane University for many years...
- PRIMARY CANCER THERAPY GROUPJANET WOLTER; Fiscal Year: 1991..placebo in Stage I estrogen receptor positive patients. The colon protocols include registration of patients with Duke's A and D tumors, and 3 drugs vs. BCG vs. surgery alone in patients with Duke's B and C disease...
- Immunoglobulin Light Chain FibrillogenesisDAVID SELDIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have pioneered aggressive treatment using intravenous melphalan and autologous stem cell rescue with promising results for AL amyloidosis, however less than half of the ..
- BIOCHEMICAL RESPONSES OF HYPOXIC CELLS TO CHEMOTHERAPYKatherine Kennedy; Fiscal Year: 1993..DNA repair in EMT 6 mouse mammary tumor cells will be determined using alkaline elution techniques...
- MODULATION OF ANTITUMOR DRUG ACTION BY DNA REPAIRRaymond Meyn; Fiscal Year: 1990..These would include: the bifunctional alkylating agents e.g., nitrogen mustard, melphalan, and 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea; cis-diamminedichloroplatinum; and mitomycin-C...
- GRP78 AND HYPERSENSITIVITY TO DNA CROSS LINKING AGENTSCHARLES BELFI; Fiscal Year: 2004..in p53, alkylguanine transferase or the mismatch repair protein, hMLH1, were sensitized to BCNU, cisplatin or melphalan. This is important, first, since it is known that in many cases, tumors bearing genetic mutations are resistant ..
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUP (NSABP)STEVEN ECONOMOU; Fiscal Year: 1980..Parvum. A primary breast cancer study is examining segmental vs. total mastectomy with and without radiation. A bowel adjuvant project is evaluating the effect of chemotherapy vs. immunoprophylaxis vs. surgery alone...
- Magnetic Targeted Delivery of TNF Alpha and MelphalanYuhua Li; Fiscal Year: 2003..carriers (MTCs) to deliver the highly potent therapeutic agents Tumor Necrosis Factor alpha (TNFalpha) and melphalan to solid tumors or organs...
- The Role of Drug Resistance in Regional Melanoma TherapyElizabeth Grubbs; Fiscal Year: 2002..a more rational approach to the treatment of extremity melanoma, our group has focused on better defining melphalan pharmacokinetics and its relationship to toxicity and outcome, as well as by defining the drug resistance ..
- DRUG-INDUCED SCES IN HUMAN PRIMARY TUMOR CELL CULTUREPHILIP TOFILON; Fiscal Year: 1991..curves will be generated after treatment of primary cultures of human tumor cells with cis-platinum, BCNU or melphalan and the relative sensitivities as predicted by the SCE and a survival assay compared...
- Phase 3 stem cell transplant for light chain amyloidosisMorie A Gertz; Fiscal Year: 2011..In addition, the analysis of clonal precursor B cells in the periphery and kinetics of amyloid formation of the monoclonal light chain will allow us to define and determine the mechanisms of disease progression and response to therapy. ..
- Phase II Trial of Thalidomide in Primary AmyloidosisAngela Dispenzieri; Fiscal Year: 2002..The ultimate goal of the proposed studies is to improve the prognosis of patient with this fatal disease. ..
- Defibrotide for the treatment of severe hepatic veno-cc*Paul Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abstract Not Provided ..