Genomes and Genes
Summary: An alkylating nitrogen mustard that is used as an antineoplastic in the form of the levo isomer - MELPHALAN, the racemic mixture - MERPHALAN, and the dextro isomer - MEDPHALAN; toxic to bone marrow, but little vesicant action; potential carcinogen.
Publications268 found, 100 shown here
- Prospective oral mucositis audit: oral mucositis in patients receiving high-dose melphalan or BEAM conditioning chemotherapy--European Blood and Marrow Transplantation Mucositis Advisory GroupNicole Blijlevens
Department of Hematology, University Medical Center St Radboud, PO Box 9101 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:1519-25. 2008....
- Association of melphalan and high-dose dexamethasone is effective and well tolerated in patients with AL (primary) amyloidosis who are ineligible for stem cell transplantationGiovanni Palladini
Amyloid Center Biotechnology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, University Hospital, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico-Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Blood 103:2936-8. 2004..Patients ineligible for ASCT are usually treated with standard oral melphalan and prednisone, but the response rate to this regimen is unsatisfactory, and time to response is long...
- Changes in quality-of-life and psychosocial adjustment among multiple myeloma patients treated with high-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantationAllen C Sherman
Behavioral Medicine, Winthrop P Rockefeller Cancer Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:12-20. 2009High-dose melphalan and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is a standard treatment for myeloma, but very little is known about the psychosocial or quality-of-life difficulties that these patients encounter during ..
- Substitution of cyclophosphamide and busulfan by fludarabine, treosulfan and melphalan in a preparative regimen for children and adolescents with Shwachman-Diamond syndromeM Sauer
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Hannover Medical University, Hannover, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 39:143-7. 2007..In an attempt to minimize regimen-related toxicity (RRT), we have initiated a fludarabine/treosulfan/melphalan-based pilot protocol avoiding the combination of busulfan and cyclophosphamide...
- Long-term outcome of patients with AL amyloidosis treated with high-dose melphalan and stem-cell transplantationVaishali Sanchorawala
Stem Cell Transplantation Program of the Section of Hematology Oncology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Blood 110:3561-3. 2007..outcome were determined for 80 patients with immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis treated with high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation (HDM/SCT) more than 10 years ago...
- Isolated limb perfusion with tumor necrosis factor and melphalan for non-resectable soft tissue sarcomas: long-term results on efficacy and limb salvage in a selected group of patientsStephane Cherix
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Surg Oncol 98:148-55. 2008Isolated limb perfusion with TNF-alpha and melphalan (TM-ILP) is a limb salvage therapy for non-resectable soft tissue sarcomas (STS) of the extremities...
- Targeting the Fanconi anemia/BRCA pathway circumvents drug resistance in multiple myelomaDanielle N Yarde
Cancer Biology Ph D Program, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer Res 69:9367-75. 2009..We recently reported that FA/BRCA genes are overexpressed and causative for drug resistance in human melphalan-resistant multiple myeloma cell lines...
- High-dose melphalan versus melphalan plus dexamethasone for AL amyloidosisArnaud Jaccard
Department of Hematology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Université et Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 6101, Limoges, France
N Engl J Med 357:1083-93. 2007....
- Fludarabine-melphalan as a preparative regimen for reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic stem cell transplantation in relapsed and refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma: the updated M.D. Anderson Cancer Center experiencePaolo Anderlini
The U T M D Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 423, Houston, TX 77030 USA
Haematologica 93:257-64. 2008..We here present an update of our single-center experience with fludarabine-melphalan as a preparative regimen.
- Randomized multicenter trial of hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion with melphalan alone compared with melphalan plus tumor necrosis factor: American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Trial Z0020Wendy R Cornett
The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4196-201. 2006..prospective multi-institutional trial whether the addition of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) to a melphalan-based hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion (HILP) treatment would improve the complete response rate for locally ..
- A phase I/II study of direct intraarterial (ophthalmic artery) chemotherapy with melphalan for intraocular retinoblastoma initial resultsDavid H Abramson
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ophthalmology 115:1398-404, 1404.e1. 2008..to cannulate repeatedly the ophthalmic artery of young children with advanced retinoblastoma, to find a dose of melphalan that would be tolerable and tumoricidal for retinoblastoma when given intraarterially, and to study the local ..
- Comparison between two fludarabine-based reduced-intensity conditioning regimens before allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation: fludarabine/melphalan is associated with higher incidence of acute graft-versus-host disease and non-relapse mortalA Shimoni
The Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Leukemia 21:2109-16. 2007..malignancies; 72 conditioned with fludarabine and intravenous-busulfan (FB) and 79 with fludarabine and melphalan (FM). FM was more myelosuppressive...
- Melphalan, prednisone, and lenalidomide treatment for newly diagnosed myeloma: a report from the GIMEMA--Italian Multiple Myeloma NetworkAntonio Palumbo
Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 25:4459-65. 2007Lenalidomide has shown significant antimyeloma activity in clinical studies. Oral melphalan, prednisone, and thalidomide have been regarded as the standard of care in elderly multiple myeloma patients...
- Cytogenetically defined myelodysplasia after melphalan-based autotransplantation for multiple myeloma linked to poor hematopoietic stem-cell mobilization: the Arkansas experience in more than 3,000 patients treated since 1989Bart Barlogie
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Blood 111:94-100. 2008..While the risk of MDS-CAs was low and clinical MDS occurred infrequently, monitoring after post-HDT consolidation chemotherapy appears warranted...
- Treatment with oral melphalan plus dexamethasone produces long-term remissions in AL amyloidosisGiovanni Palladini
Blood 110:787-8. 2007
- Pharmacodynamics of tandem high-dose melphalan with peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in children with neuroblastoma and medulloblastomaG Vassal
Department of Paediatric Oncology, Institut Gustave-Roussy, Villejuif, France
Bone Marrow Transplant 27:471-7. 2001..of this study was to evaluate the tolerance, pharmacokinetics (PK) and pharmacodynamics (PD) of HD single-agent melphalan administered over two consecutive courses (C1 and C2) in children...
- In vitro evidence for homologous recombinational repair in resistance to melphalanZ M Wang
Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Sir Mortimer B. Davis-Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1473-8. 2001..cross-links is thought to be important in the cytotoxicity of nitrogen mustard alkylating agents, such as melphalan, which have antitumor activity...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of melphalan in isolated limb infusion for recurrent localized limb malignancyM S Roberts
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland 4102, Australia
Melanoma Res 11:423-31. 2001..b>Melphalan is the preferred cytotoxic agent for the treatment of melanoma by ILP or ILI...
- Antimyeloma effects of arsenic trioxide are enhanced by melphalan, bortezomib and ascorbic acidRichard A Campbell
Institute for Myeloma and Bone Cancer Research, West Hollywood, CA 90069, USA
Br J Haematol 138:467-78. 2007..To evaluate this, we examined the antimyeloma effects of ATO alone and in combination with bortezomib, melphalan and ascorbic acid (AA) both in vitro and in vivo using a severe combined immunodeficient (SCID)-hu murine ..
- Genetic polymorphisms in the amino acid transporters LAT1 and LAT2 in relation to the pharmacokinetics and side effects of melphalanAnnett Kühne
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Pharmacogenet Genomics 17:505-17. 2007b>Melphalan is widely used in the treatment of multiple myeloma. Pharmacokinetics of this alkylating drug shows high inter-individual variability...
- Successful treatment of systemic amyloidosis with hepatic involvement and factor X deficiency by high dose melphalan chemotherapy and autologous stem cell reinfusionDimitri A Breems
Department of Hematology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Haematol 72:181-5. 2004..One of the patients was treated with high dose melphalan chemotherapy and autologous stem cell reinfusion, resulting in a normalization of the liver enzyme tests and the ..
- Risk-adjusted manipulation of melphalan dose before stem cell transplantation in patients with amyloidosis is associated with a lower response rateM A Gertz
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 34:1025-31. 2004..The patients comprised two groups: those receiving standard high-dose melphalan and those receiving intermediate-dose melphalan...
- Melphalan pharmacokinetics in children with malignant disease: influence of body weight, renal function, carboplatin therapy and total body irradiationChrista E Nath
Department of Biochemistry and Oncology, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia
Br J Clin Pharmacol 59:314-24. 2005To analyse the pharmacokinetics of melphalan in 52 children (0...
- The nitrogen mustard melphalan activates mitogen-activated phosphorylated kinases (MAPK), nuclear factor-kappaB and inflammatory response in lung epithelial cellsCamilla Osterlund
Division of NBC Defence, Swedish Defence Research Agency, Ume, Sweden
J Appl Toxicol 25:328-37. 2005..agent, we exposed human bronchial (BEAS-2B) and alveolar (A549) cells to the nitrogen mustard derivative melphalan. The BEAS-2B cells were highly sensitive to melphalan, as shown by a reduced viability after a 10-min incubation ..
- Necrobiotic xanthogranuloma-rapid progression under treatment with melphalanMirjana Ziemer
Department of Dermatology, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Erfurter Strasse 35, 07743 Jena, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 15:363-5. 2005..We treated this extraordinary widespread condition with melphalan and prednisolone...
- Reduced intensity allogeneic stem cell transplantation for systemic primary amyloidosis refractory to high-dose melphalanYasukazu Kawai
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Fukui, Matsuoka, Japan
Eur J Haematol 72:448-50. 2004..High-dose melphalan with autologous stem cell transplantation has shown the ability to induce complete hematological response (HR) ..
- Isolated limb perfusion with tumor necrosis factor alpha and melphalan for locally advanced soft tissue sarcoma: the value of adjuvant radiotherapyKatja M J Thijssens
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Medical Center Groningen, P.O. Box 30.001, Groningen, RB, 9700, The Netherlands
Ann Surg Oncol 13:518-24. 2006..soft tissue sarcoma after hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion (ILP) with tumor necrosis factor alpha and melphalan followed by limb-saving surgery...
- A phase II trial of isolated limb infusion with melphalan and dactinomycin for regional melanoma and soft tissue sarcoma of the extremityMary S Brady
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 13:1123-9. 2006..Reports from Australia of efficacy similar to that of isolated limb perfusion prompted us to conduct a phase II trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of ILI...
- Repair of DNA interstrand crosslinks as a mechanism of clinical resistance to melphalan in multiple myelomaVictoria J Spanswick
Cancer Research UK Drug-DNA Interactions Research Group, Department of Oncology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Blood 100:224-9. 2002b>Melphalan is widely used as a preparative agent in patients with multiple myeloma (MM) undergoing autologous stem cell transplantation (SCT)...
- Low-dose continuous oral melphalan for the treatment of primary systemic (AL) amyloidosisVaishali Sanchorawala
Department of Medicine, Section of Hematology Oncology, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 88 East Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Br J Haematol 117:886-9. 2002..with AL amyloidosis with clinically significant cardiac involvement is 5 months when treated with cyclic melphalan and prednisone...
- Population pharmacokinetics of melphalan in paediatric blood or marrow transplant recipientsChrista E Nath
Department of Biochemistry, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia
Br J Clin Pharmacol 64:151-64. 2007To develop a population pharmacokinetic model for melphalan in children with malignant diseases and to evaluate limited sampling strategies for melphalan.
- Synergistic cytotoxicity of buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) and intensive melphalan (L-PAM) for neuroblastoma cell lines established at relapse after myeloablative therapyC P Anderson
Division of Hematology-Oncology, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 30:135-40. 2002..We examined the ability of buthionine sulfoximine (BSO)-mediated glutathione (GSH) depletion to modulate melphalan (L-PAM) resistance in five NB cell lines established after progressive disease following myeloablative therapy (..
- An overview of high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation in the treatment of AL amyloidosisVaishali Sanchorawala
Section of Hematology Oncology in the Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Amyloid 14:261-9. 2007..This review outlines an overview of high-dose intravenous melphalan and stem cell transplantation in the treatment of AL amyloidosis...
- Phase I/II study of gemtuzumab ozogamicin added to fludarabine, melphalan and allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for high-risk CD33 positive myeloid leukemias and myelodysplastic syndromeM De Lima
Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cell Therapy, U T M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Leukemia 22:258-64. 2008..hypothesis that gemtuzumab ozogamicin (GO), an anti-CD33 immunotoxin would improve the efficacy of fludarabine/melphalan as a preparative regimen for allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) in a phase I/II trial...
- Predictors of survival in patients with systemic light-chain amyloidosis and cardiac involvement initially ineligible for stem cell transplantation and treated with oral melphalan and dexamethasoneD Lebovic
Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell School of Medicine, New York Hospital, NY, USA
Br J Haematol 143:369-73. 2008..AL cardiac patients who were not candidates for stem cell transplant and therefore received monthly oral melphalan and dexamethasone. Median survival was 10...
- Supraselective injection of intraarterial melphalan as the primary treatment for late presentation unilateral multifocal stage Vb retinoblastomaHassan A Aziz
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Retina 30:S63-5. 2010..The purpose of this study was to report a case of a 7-year-old girl with unilateral, multifocal Reese Ellsworth Stage Vb retinoblastoma who was successfully treated using intraarterial chemotherapy infusion as the primary therapy...
- Evaluation of 47 soft tissue sarcoma resection specimens after isolated limb perfusion with TNF-alpha and melphalan: histologically characterized improved margins correlate with absence of recurrencesFlorian Grabellus
Institute of Pathology and Neuropathology, University Hospital Essen and Sarcoma Center at the West German Cancer Center, University of Duisburg Essen, 45122 Essen, Germany
Ann Surg Oncol 16:676-86. 2009..Isolated limb perfusion (TM-ILP) is an effective limb-sparing treatment for primarily nonresectable soft tissue sarcomas (STS). Surgical margins of STS after ILP were yet not systematically studied...
- Vorinostat enhances the antimyeloma effects of melphalan and bortezomibRichard A Campbell
Institute for Myeloma and Bone Cancer Research, West Hollywood, CA, USA
Eur J Haematol 84:201-11. 2010..Examine the antitumor activity of the histone deacetylase inhibitor vorinostat's antitumor activity against multiple myeloma (MM) using cell lines and a murine xenograft model...
- Optimizing melphalan pharmacokinetics in regional melanoma therapy: does correcting for ideal body weight alter regional response or toxicity?N McMahon
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:953-61. 2009This study aims to determine what effect correcting melphalan dosing for ideal body weight (IBW) has on toxicity and response in isolated limb infusion (ILI) in patients with advanced extremity melanoma.
- Expression of human organic cation transporter 3 in kidney carcinoma cell lines increases chemosensitivity to melphalan, irinotecan, and vincristineVolodymyr Shnitsar
Abteilung Vegetative Physiologie und Pathophysiologie, Georg August Universitat, Gottingen, Germany
Cancer Res 69:1494-501. 2009..into hOCT3 stably transfected Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells was inhibited by irinotecan, vincristine, and melphalan. The K(i) values [determined from Dixon plots] for irinotecan, vincristine, and melphalan were 1.72 +/- 0...
- Hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion in locally advanced soft tissue sarcoma and progressive desmoid-type fibromatosis with TNF 1 mg and melphalan (T1-M HILP) is safe and efficientSylvie Bonvalot
Department of Surgery, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif Cedex, France
Ann Surg Oncol 16:3350-7. 2009..The objective of the present study was to confirm these data on a larger sample size of locally advanced or recurrent extremity soft tissue sarcomas with low-dose TNF-alpha...
- Factors predictive of acute regional toxicity after isolated limb infusion with melphalan and actinomycin D in melanoma patientsHidde M Kroon
Sydney Melanoma Unit and Melanoma Institute Australia, Royal Prince Alfred and Mater Hospitals, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1184-92. 2009..Previously we have shown that more significant limb toxicity is not associated with a higher response rate or improved patient outcome. In this study we sought to determine factors predicting toxicity following ILI...
- Efficacy of repeat isolated limb infusion with melphalan and actinomycin D for recurrent melanomaHidde M Kroon
Sydney Melanoma Unit, Sydney Cancer Center, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Cancer 115:1932-40. 2009..Recurrent or progressive disease after an ILI, however, presents a challenge for further treatment. The value of repeat ILI in this situation has not been well documented...
- Fludarabine-melphalan conditioning for AML and MDS: alemtuzumab reduces acute and chronic GVHD without affecting long-term outcomesKoen Van Besien
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:610-7. 2009..We compared the outcome of 95 patients treated at the University of Chicago with fludarabine melphalan (Flu + Mel) + alemtuzumab conditioning and 59 patients treated at the M.D...
- Potentiation of the cytostatic effect of melphalan on colorectal cancer hepatic metastases by infusion of buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) in the rat: enhanced tumor glutathione depletion by infusion of BSO in the hepatic arteryA L Vahrmeijer
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 44:111-6. 1999..bearing intrahepatically implanted tumors of the CC531 colorectal cancer cell line on the antitumor activity of melphalan (L-PAM)...
- High-dose melphalan with autologous stem-cell rescue in metastatic rhabdomyosarcomaM Carli
Department of Pediatrics, Oncology Hematology Division, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Clin Oncol 17:2796-803. 1999The European Collaborative MMT4-91 trial was conducted as a prospective nonrandomized study to evaluate the potential benefit of high-dose melphalan as consolidation of first complete remission in children with stage IV rhabdomyosarcoma.
- High-dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation as consolidation treatment in patients with chemosensitive ovarian cancer: results of a single-institution randomized trialC Papadimitriou
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Alexandra Hospital, University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:547-54. 2008..paclitaxel and carboplatin combination chemotherapy were randomly assigned to receive or not high-dose melphalan. The primary objective was to compare time to disease progression (TTP)...
- High-dose melphalan versus melphalan plus dexamethasone for AL amyloidosisShaji Kumar
N Engl J Med 358:91; author reply 92-3. 2008
- High incidence of graft failure in unrelated cord blood transplantation using a reduced-intensity preparative regimen consisting of fludarabine and melphalanH Narimatsu
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:753-6. 2008
- Fewer bone disease events, improvement in bone remodeling, and evidence of bone healing with bortezomib plus melphalan-prednisone vs. melphalan-prednisone in the phase III VISTA trial in multiple myelomaMichel Delforge
Myeloma Study Group, Belgian Hematological Society, Belgium
Eur J Haematol 86:372-84. 2011..This post hoc analysis of the phase III VISTA trial of bortezomib plus melphalan-prednisone (VMP) vs...
- A phase 1 study of systemic ADH-1 in combination with melphalan via isolated limb infusion in patients with locally advanced in-transit malignant melanomaGeorgia M Beasley
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Cancer 115:4766-74. 2009Isolated limb infusion with melphalan is a well-tolerated treatment for patients with in-transit extremity melanoma with an approximately 30% complete response (CR) rate...
- Lenalidomide in combination with melphalan and dexamethasone in patients with newly diagnosed AL amyloidosis: a multicenter phase 1/2 dose-escalation studyPhilippe Moreau
University Hospital, Nantes, France
Blood 116:4777-82. 2010..dose-escalation study aimed to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of lenalidomide in combination with melphalan and dexamethasone (M-dex), and assess the efficacy and tolerability of this therapy for patients with de novo AL ..
- Phase III study of the value of thalidomide added to melphalan plus prednisone in elderly patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: the HOVON 49 StudyPierre Wijermans
Haga Hospital, Leyweg 275, The Hague, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 28:3160-6. 2010For several decades, the treatment of elderly patients with multiple myeloma (MM) has consisted of melphalan and prednisone (MP)...
- Melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide or placebo in elderly patients with multiple myelomaAnders Waage
Department of Hematology, St Olavs Hospital, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Blood 116:1405-12. 2010..placebo-controlled study, 363 patients with untreated multiple myeloma were randomized to receive either melphalan-prednisone and thalidomide (MPT) or melphalan-prednisone and placebo (MP). The dose of melphalan was 0...
- Dose intensive melphalan and cyclophosphamide with autologous hematopoietic stem cells for recurrent medulloblastoma or germinomaRichard P Kadota
Rady Children s Hospital, San Diego, California, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:675-8. 2008..To determine the response, toxicity, and survival for children with progressive or recurrent medulloblastoma and germinoma using a single myeloablative course of chemotherapy supported by autologous hematopoietic stem cells...
- Isolated hepatic perfusion with high-dose melphalan for the treatment of colorectal metastasis confined to the liverJ Rothbarth
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 90:1391-7. 2003..METHODS: Seventy-three patients with irresectable colorectal metastases underwent IHP with high-dose melphalan (200 mg) for 1 h...
- Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone compared with melphalan and prednisone in previously untreated multiple myeloma: updated follow-up and impact of subsequent therapy in the phase III VISTA trialMaria Victoria Mateos
Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Paseo San Vicente 58 182, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
J Clin Oncol 28:2259-66. 2010The purpose of this study was to confirm overall survival (OS) and other clinical benefits with bortezomib, melphalan, and prednisone (VMP) versus melphalan and prednisone (MP) in the phase III VISTA (Velcade as Initial Standard Therapy ..
- Randomized comparison of dexamethasone combined with melphalan versus melphalan with prednisone in the treatment of elderly patients with multiple myelomaJ M Hernandez
Department of Haematology, Hospital General de Segovia, Segovia, Spain
Br J Haematol 127:159-64. 2004b>Melphalan-prednisone (MP) has been the gold standard treatment for more than 30 years in elderly multiple myeloma (MM) patients...
- Isolated hypoxic hepatic perfusion with orthograde or retrograde flow in patients with irresectable liver metastases using percutaneous balloon catheter techniques: a phase I and II studyBoudewijn van Etten
Department of Surgical Oncology, Erasmus University Medical Center-Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, PO Box 5201, 3008 AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg Oncol 11:598-605. 2004..Two different perfusion methods were used, both with inflow via the hepatic artery, using melphalan 1 mg/kg...
- Fludarabine, melphalan, and alemtuzumab conditioning in adults with standard-risk advanced acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromeKoen Van Besien
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Health Studies, University of Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:5728-38. 2005..rate, progression-free survival, and overall survival after allogeneic transplantation and conditioning with fludarabine, melphalan, and alemtuzumab in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).
- Differential protein expression in the cytosol fraction of an MCF-7 breast cancer cell line selected for resistance toward melphalanYetrib Hathout
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland, College Park Maryland 20742, USA
J Proteome Res 1:435-42. 2002Analysis of differential protein expression in the cytosol of melphalan-resistant and -susceptible MCF-7 cell lines has been carried out using a combination of two-dimensional gel electrophoresis, mass spectrometry, and bioinformatics...
- Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone in elderly untreated patients with multiple myeloma: updated time-to-events results and prognostic factors for time to progressionMaria Victoria Mateos
Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Haematologica 93:560-5. 2008..One strategy is to combine melphalan and prednisone with novel agents...
- High-dose therapy and autologous peripheral blood stem cells transplantation followed by a very low reduced intensity regimen with fludarabine + cyclophosphamide and allograft improve complete remission rate in de novo multiple myeloma patientsMassimo Martino
Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Bianchi Melacrino Morelli, Reggio Calabria, Italy
Am J Hematol 81:973-8. 2006..Fifteen subjects with stage III MM (median age 51 years, range 40-57) received high dose melphalan (200 mg/m(2)) followed by APBSCT previously collected after cyclophosphamide (4 g/m(2)) and granulocyte colony-..
- Long-term outcomes after reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic stem cell transplantation for low-grade lymphoma: a survey by the French Society of Bone Marrow Graft Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (SFGM-TC)Stephane Vigouroux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Haematologica 92:627-34. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the outcome of patients with LGL treated with RIC allogeneic SCT...
- Oral mucositis and outcomes of autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation following high-dose melphalan conditioning for multiple myelomaMontserrat Vera Llonch
Policy Analysis Inc PAI, Brookline, Massachusetts 02445, USA
J Support Oncol 5:231-5. 2007..clinical and economic outcomes of autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation (HSCT) following high-dose melphalan (Alkeran) conditioning in patients with multiple myeloma...
- Long-term follow up of high-dose chemotherapy with autologous stem cell rescue in adults with Ewing tumorValerie Laurence
Department of Medical Oncology, Institut Curie, Paris, France
Am J Clin Oncol 28:301-9. 2005..71%, P = 0.017) and poor pathologic response (5-year overall survival 44% vs.77%, P = 0.03). This retrospective study shows a high long-term survival rate with high-dose chemotherapy in adults...
- Long-term outcome of autologous stem-cell transplantation in relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphomaB Sirohi
Lymphoma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital and Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Ann Oncol 19:1312-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess prognostic factors and outcome of patients with relapsed/refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) who received high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem-cell transplant (ASCT)...
- Biological modifiers as cytoreductive therapy before stem cell transplant in previously untreated patients with multiple myelomaA Aviles
Oncology Research Unit and Department of Hematology, Oncology Hospital National Medical Center, Mexico, D F Mexico
Ann Oncol 16:219-21. 2005..The use of biological modifiers has not been considered in this situation. We developed a new cytoreductive regimen, in an attempt to retain clinical efficacy but reduce toxicity...
- Cologne high-dose sequential chemotherapy in relapsed and refractory Hodgkin lymphoma: results of a large multicenter study of the German Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group (GHSG)A Josting
First Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Cologne, Germany
Ann Oncol 16:116-23. 2005..We designed a dose- and time-intensified high-dose sequential chemotherapy regimen for patients with relapsed and refractory Hodgkin lymphoma (HD)...
- A reduced intensity conditioning regimen for allografting following autografting is feasible and has strong anti-myeloma activityAngelo Michele Carella
Haematologica 89:1534-6. 2004..We suggest that this two-step approach is feasible and it has strong anti-myeloma activity...
- [Nutritional pathway for autologous stem cell transplantation]Takashi Aoyama
Division of Nutrition, Shizuoka Cancer Center
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 34:1249-53. 2007..Although the long-term clinical outcome was not fully evaluated, the efficacy of nutritional pathway for autologous SCT was suggested...
- Effect of chemotherapy with alkylating agents on the yield of CD34+ cells in patients with multiple myeloma. Results of the Spanish Myeloma Group (GEM) StudyJavier de la Rubia
Grupo Español de Mieloma
Haematologica 91:621-7. 2006..We analyzed the impact of first-line chemotherapy with alkylating agents on stem cell collection in MM patients...
- Intensive chemotherapy (high-dose CHOP/ESHAP regimen) followed by autologous stem-cell transplantation in previously untreated patients with peripheral T-cell lymphomaS Mercadal
Department of Hematology, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Ann Oncol 19:958-63. 2008..Aim: To analyze toxicity, response and outcome of a phase II trial with intensive chemotherapy plus autologous stem-cell transplantation (ASCT) for young patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma (PTCL)...
- The VAD-DCEP sequence is an effective pre-transplant therapy in untreated multiple myelomaAlessandro Corso
The Division of Hematology from IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo University of Pavia, Ospedale Niguarda Milano, Italy
Haematologica 89:1124-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of a new regimen and compare it with that of a previous regimen...
- Results of autologous transplantation in lymphoma are not improved by increasing the dose of etoposide in the BEAM regimen: a single-centre sequential-cohort studyA Martin
Servicio de Hematologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Salamanca, Paseo de San Vicente 58 182, Salamanca, Spain
Bone Marrow Transplant 34:675-82. 2004..Our results indicate that while escalation of the etoposide doses in the BEAM conditioning regimen does not appear to improve outcome, encouraging results in IL and HD may warrant further studies...
- High-dose CEB vs BEAM with autologous stem cell transplant in lymphomaE H Wang
Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 34:581-7. 2004..conditioned with either cyclophosphamide, etoposide, carmustine (CEB) or carmustine, etoposide, cytarabine, melphalan (BEAM) at a single institution. In all, 52 patients received CEB and 20 patients received the BEAM regimen...
- High-dose melphalan-based autotransplants for multiple myeloma: the Arkansas experience since 1989 in 3077 patientsMauricio Pineda-Roman
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Cancer 112:1754-64. 2008In this report, the authors describe their collective experience with melphalan-based autotransplants since the inception of their program at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in 1989.
- Comparison of high-dose melphalan with a more intensive regimen of thiotepa, busulfan, and cyclophosphamide for patients with multiple myelomaAthanasios Anagnostopoulos
Department of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 100:2607-12. 2004..In the current study, the authors compared the outcomes associated with high-dose melphalan (HDM) and a more intensive regimen of thiotepa, busulfan, and cyclophosphamide (TBC) in patients with multiple ..
- [Comparison of regimen-related toxicity between high-dose melphalan and ICE as a preparatory regimen for autologous stem cell transplantation]Osamu Imataki
Division of Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Shizuoka Cancer Center
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 34:1633-6. 2007Chemotherapy-susceptive multiple myeloma (MM) has an indication for high-dose melphalan (HDM) followed by autologous stem cell transplantation (auto-SCT)...
- Ifosfamide, epirubicin, etoposide (IEV) and autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplant: a feasible and effective salvage treatment for lymphoid malignanciesMarino Clavio
Department of Haematology, University of Genova, Viale Benedetto XV, n6, 16132 Genova, Italy
Oncol Rep 14:933-40. 2005..conditioning therapy with BEAM [for the Hodgkin's Lymphoma (HL) and non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL) groups], or melphalan 100 mg/m2 and mitoxantrone [for the multiple myeloma (MM) patients]...
- The role of transplant in multiple myelomaBart Barlogie
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 3:604-6. 2005
- Limited feasibility of double transplant in multiple myeloma: results of a multicenter study on 153 patients aged <65 yearsAlessandro Corso
Division of Hematology, IRCCS Fondazione Policlinico San Matteo University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cancer 109:2273-8. 2007..The current study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and the feasibility of a front-line double transplant program in young MM patients...
- High-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation for Hodgkin's lymphoma in relapse or failure after initial chemotherapy : results of the Centre National de Greffe de Moelle Osseuse de TunisLamia Torjman
Centre National de Greffe de Moelle Osseuse, Tunis
Tunis Med 85:35-8. 2007..In the present study we report the clinical outcome of 27 patients with refractory or relapsed Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) undergoing autologous peripheral stem-cell transplantation (ASCT)...
- Outpatient autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for patients with relapsed follicular lymphomaChantal Leger
St Paul s Hospital and University of British Columbia, 440 1144 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ann Hematol 85:723-9. 2006..The median age was 51 years (30-65). Pre-transplantation conditioning regimens consisted of either etoposide/melphalan/TBI, CBV or BEAM. Patients participated in this transplant program for a median of 20.5 days (14-78), and 58...
- Hospital in the home (HITH) care following autologous stem cell transplantation for lymphoma and multiple myelomaWendy Johnson
Mater Acute Care Community Service, Newcastle Mater Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Adv Nurs 23:34-9. 2006..CONCLUSION: Our preliminary experience suggests that with adequate infrastructure support and rigorous patient selection this model of care is both safe and feasible...
- Efficacy of single-dose pegfilgrastim after chemotherapy for the mobilization of autologous peripheral blood stem cells in patients with malignant lymphoma or multiple myelomaFrank Kroschinsky
1st Medical Department, University Hospital Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Transfusion 46:1417-23. 2006....
- Morbidity and transplant-related mortality of CBV and BEAM preparative regimens for patients with lymphoid malignancies undergoing autologous stem-cell transplantationNoemi Puig
Hematology Service, University Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Leuk Lymphoma 47:1488-94. 2006..to 75 patients and 38 received BEAM (BCNU, 300 mg m(-2); VP-16, 800 mg m(-2); cytarabine, 800 mg m(-2); melphalan, 140 mg m(-2)). Patients in the BEAM group had a significantly higher median age (p = 0...
- Intravenous melphalan, thalidomide and prednisone in refractory and relapsed multiple myelomaAntonio Palumbo
Divisione di Ematologia, , Azienda Ospedaliera S. Giovanni Battista, Ospedale Molinette, Turin, Italy
Eur J Haematol 76:273-7. 2006OBJECTIVES: Thalidomide combined with conventional chemotherapies including oral melphalan shows significant anti-myeloma activity. To address this issue, feasibility and efficacy of a three drug combination consisting of intravenous (i...
- High-dose melphalan versus busulfan, cyclophosphamide, and etoposide as preparative regimens for autologous stem cell transplantation in patients with multiple myelomaDon M Benson
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Starling Loving Hall, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Leuk Res 31:1069-75. 2007..experience using two conditioning regimens, busulfan, cyclophosphamide, and etoposide (BCV) or high-dose melphalan (HDM). Between July 1992 and August 2003, 110 patients with MM (median age=56...
- Standard chemotherapy compared with high-dose chemoradiotherapy for multiple myeloma: final results of phase III US Intergroup Trial S9321Bart Barlogie
University of Arkansas for Medical Science, Little Rock, AR, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:929-36. 2006..In 1993, three North American cooperative groups launched a prospective randomized trial (S9321) comparing HDT (melphalan [MEL] 140 mg/m2 plus total-body irradiation 12 Gy) with SDT using the vincristine, carmustine, MEL, ..
- High-dose idarubicin, busulphan and melphalan for autologous stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma responsive to DAV chemotherapy: comparison with a historical controlSaveria Capria
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Cellulari ed Ematologia, , Rome, Italy
Acta Haematol 115:9-14. 2006..multiple myeloma patients responsive to DAV chemotherapy were autografted with idarubicin-intensified busulphan-melphalan (ida-bu-mel)...
- Does consolidation with autologous stem cell transplantation improve the outcome of children with metastatic or relapsed Ewing sarcoma?Nafisah Al-Faris
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Blood Cancer 49:190-5. 2007..To evaluate the role of high-dose chemotherapy (HDC) and autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) as consolidation therapy for children with high-risk Ewing sarcoma (ES) treated at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), Toronto...
- High-dose cyclophosphamide inhibition of humoral immune response to murine monoclonal antibody 3F8 in neuroblastoma patients: broad implications for immunotherapyBrian H Kushner
Department of Pediatrics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 48:430-4. 2007..We assessed the impact on rapid HAMA formation of prior chemotherapy in NB patients...
- Efficacy of diverse high-dose regimens followed by autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in consecutive multiple myeloma patients: a single-centre analysis over a 12-year periodP S Haas
Ann Hematol 85:191-3. 2006
- Results of a phase I/II trial adding carmustine (300 mg/m2) to melphalan (200 mg/m2) in multiple myeloma patients undergoing autologous stem cell transplantationR L Comenzo
Hematology Service, Division of Hematologic Oncology, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Leukemia 20:345-9. 2006Autologous stem cell transplantation (SCT) with high-dose melphalan (HDM, 200 mg/m2) is the most effective therapy for multiple myeloma...
- High dose melphalan or intermediate dose melphalan can be well tolerated and result in good response rates in selected elderly patients with myelomaM Bishton
Department of Haematology, Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Leuk Res 31:1063-8. 2007..Those fit enough underwent Cyclophosphamide mobilisation and PBSCT using melphalan 200mg/m(2) (HDM) (n=15, median 67 years)...
- Sequential, cycling maintenance therapy for post transplant multiple myelomaC I Chen
Department of Haematology Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:89-94. 2006..The 12-month cycling schedule included dexamethasone (months 1-3); melphalan and prednisone (months 4, 5); cyclophosphamide and prednisone (months 6, 7); alpha-interferon (months 8-10); ..
- Re-use of the original infusional induction chemotherapy as salvage therapy in myeloma patients relapsing after one autograftBhawna Sirohi
Leukaemia Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, Surrey, UK
Hematology 10:361-4. 2005..We studied 62 myeloma patients whose initial treatment consisted of C-VAMP and a single high dose melphalan procedure and who were retreated with C-VAMP at the time of first relapse...
- Megachemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation in children with Ewing's sarcomaKatarzyna Drabko
BMT Unit, Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Children s University Hospital, Lublin, Poland
Pediatr Transplant 9:618-21. 2005..5-18 yr). Megachemotherapy consisted of melphalan 140 mg/m2/busulfan 16 mg/kg in 12 patients, melphalan 140 mg2/treosulfan 10...
- Autologous stem cell transplantation followed by consolidation chemotherapy for patients with multiple myelomaI Gojo
Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 37:65-72. 2006..Patients received conditioning with BCNU, melphalan+/-gemcitabine and auto-PBSCT followed by two cycles of the DCEP+/-G regimen (dexamethasone, cyclophosphamide, ..
- A cost-utility analysis comparing intensive chemotherapy alone to intensive chemotherapy followed by myeloablative chemotherapy with autologous stem-cell rescue in newly diagnosed patients with stage II/III multiple myeloma; a prospective randomised phaseM van Agthoven
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus MC, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 40:1159-69. 2004..Cost-effectiveness of myeloma therapy after 3 years of follow up seems not to be favoured by myeloablative treatment with autologous stem-cell rescue...
- Inhibition of glutathione reductase and ovarian cancer drug resistance reversalXiangming Guan; Fiscal Year: 2006..first and rate-determining step in GSH biosynthesis significantly increased the sensitivity of the cell line to melphalan, a chemotherapeutic agent...
- Glutathione reductase and tumor sensitivity to radiationXiangming Guan; Fiscal Year: 2003..of GR did reduce intracellular GSH and the reduction of GSH led to an increase in the sensitivity of OVCAR-3 to melphalan, a chemotherapeutic agent...
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUPStephen Lauer; Fiscal Year: 2002..relapsed AML with idarubicin and chlordeoxyadenosine, treatment of relapsed solid tumors with high-dose busulfan/melphalan and ABMT, transplantation of haploidentical CD34+ cells for relapsed ALL or AML, and vincristine plus dose-..
- ENHANCING ACTIVITY OF ALKYLATING AGENTS IN NEUROBLASTOMACHARLES PATRICK REYNOLDS; Fiscal Year: 2010..the degree of cross-resistance in a panel of 25 neuroblastoma cell lines of cyclophosphamide, carboplatin, melphalan (L-PAM) alone and in combination with topoisomerase inhibitors or BSO under standard culture conditions (20% O2) ..
- Minor Histocompatilibity Vaccination After Allo-Transpl*Koen Van Besien; Fiscal Year: 2004..The conditioning regimen will consist of fludarabine-melphalan-campath...
- ENHANCING ACTIVITY OF ALKYLATING AGENTS IN NEUROBLASTOMACharles Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2001..depletion of glutathione (GSH) by buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) has a cytotoxic synergy with the alkylator melphalan (L-PAM) that is antagonized by hypoxia and 2) that retinoids improve survival in high-risk neuroblastoma but may ..
- Detoxification of Electrophilic Chemical Threat Agents by Nucleophilic ScavengersMICHAEL MACLEOD; Fiscal Year: 2007..Both of these have been shown to completely detoxify the carcinogen BPDE. DTP has also been shown to detoxify melphalan, a nitrogen mustard, and in preliminary studies we have demonstrated facile reaction of DTP with a sulfur ..
- GLUTATHIONE MODULATION OF ALKYLAYTORS IN MEDULLOBLASTOMAHenry Friedman; Fiscal Year: 1993..have documented the activity of a series of bifunctional alkylating agents including cyclophosphamide and melphalan in the treatment of a panel of medulloblastoma cell lines and transplantable xenografts...
- AFFINITY LABELING OF GLUTATHIONE S TRANSFERASESROBERTA COLMAN; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., the 1-1 isozyme confers the greatest cellular resistance to the anti-cancer drugs, chlorambucil and melphalan, while the 3-3 isozyme confers the most increase in resistance to cisplatin...
- Development of Anticancer 1,2-Bis(sulfonyl)hydrazinesAlan Sartorelli; Fiscal Year: 2009..brain barrier, is active both orally and parenterally, is not cross-resistant with cyclophosphamide, BCNU, or melphalan, and a by-product of its activation, methyl isocyanate, has synergistic cytotoxic activity with the generated ..
- Development of Anticancer 1,2-Bis(sulfonyl)hydrazinesAlan Sartorelli; Fiscal Year: 2007..brain barrier, is active both orally and parenterally, is not cross-resistant with cyclophosphamide, BCNU, or melphalan, and a by-product of its activation, methyl isocyanate, has synergistic cytotoxic activity with the generated ..