Genomes and Genes
essential amino acids
Summary: Amino acids that are not synthesized by the human body in amounts sufficient to carry out physiological functions. They are obtained from dietary foodstuffs.
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- Essential amino acids increase microRNA-499, -208b, and -23a and downregulate myostatin and myocyte enhancer factor 2C mRNA expression in human skeletal muscleMicah J Drummond
Department of Physical Therapy, Division of Rehabilitation Science, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Nutr 139:2279-84. 2009b>Essential amino acids (EAA) stimulate muscle protein synthesis in humans. However, little is known about whether microRNAs (miRNA) and genes associated with muscle growth are expressed differently following EAA ingestion...
- Jasmonate-inducible plant enzymes degrade essential amino acids in the herbivore midgutHui Chen
Department of Energy Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan Proteome Consortium, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:19237-42. 2005..sexta midgut to catabolize the essential amino acids Arg and Thr, respectively. Transgenic plants that overexpress arginase were more resistant to M...
- Improving the content of essential amino acids in crop plants: goals and opportunitiesShai Ufaz
Department of Plant Sciences, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Plant Physiol 147:954-61. 2008
- Aging is associated with diminished accretion of muscle proteins after the ingestion of a small bolus of essential amino acidsChristos S Katsanos
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1065-73. 2005Previous evidence suggests that aging in healthy persons does not result in decreased incorporation of muscle proteins after a bolus ingestion of 15 g essential amino acids (EAAs).
- Essential amino acids are primarily responsible for the amino acid stimulation of muscle protein anabolism in healthy elderly adultsElena Volpi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 78:250-8. 2003..We have shown that balanced amino acids stimulate muscle protein anabolism in the elderly, but it is unknown whether all amino acids are necessary to achieve this effect...
- Resistance training and timed essential amino acids protect against the loss of muscle mass and strength during 28 days of bed rest and energy deficitNaomi Brooks
Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:241-8. 2008..These data support the efficacy of combined AA and RT as a countermeasure against muscle wasting due to low gravity...
- Rats rapidly reject diets deficient in essential amino acidsThomas J Koehnle
School of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Cell Biology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Nutr 133:2331-5. 2003..Rats were fed low protein diets for 5-7 d and then exposed to diets with and without essential amino acids. Rats consistently demonstrated recognition of essential amino acid deficiency within the first meal by a ..
- Infectious tolerance via the consumption of essential amino acids and mTOR signalingStephen P Cobbold
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3RE, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:12055-60. 2009..within skin grafts and dendritic cells, the expression of enzymes that consume at least 5 different essential amino acids (EAAs)...
- Aging differentially affects human skeletal muscle microRNA expression at rest and after an anabolic stimulus of resistance exercise and essential amino acidsMicah J Drummond
Dept of Physical Therapy, Univ of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1144, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1333-40. 2008..However, aging is associated with higher basal skeletal muscle primary miRNA expression and a dysregulated miRNA response after the anabolic stimulus...
- Supplementation with essential amino acids in middle age maintains the health of rat kidneyG Corsetti
Division of Human Anatomy, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 23:523-33. 2010..Recently, the beneficial dietary effect of a specific mixture of essential amino acids (EAA) has been studied in elderly subjects, but no data were collected from the kidney...
- Effect of essential amino acids on mouse embryo viability and ammonium productionM Lane
Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, Research and Development, Englewood, Colorado, USA
J Assist Reprod Genet 18:519-25. 2001To examine the effect of essential amino acids concentrations on mouse embryo development.
- A high proportion of leucine is required for optimal stimulation of the rate of muscle protein synthesis by essential amino acids in the elderlyChristos S Katsanos
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E381-7. 2006..We conclude that increasing the proportion of leucine in a mixture of EAA can reverse an attenuated response of muscle protein synthesis in elderly but does not result in further stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in young subjects...
- Zinc increases the effects of essential amino acids-whey protein supplements in frail elderlyA Rodondi
Division of Bone Diseases, Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, University Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine of Geneva, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Nutr Health Aging 13:491-7. 2009..Protein undernutrition is frequent in the elderly. It contributes to the development of osteoporosis, possibly via lower IGF-I. Dietary zinc can influence IGF-I production...
- Addition of glutamine to essential amino acids and carbohydrate does not enhance anabolism in young human males following exerciseSarah B Wilkinson
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 31:518-29. 2006..The addition of glutamine to a CHO + EAA beverage had no effect on post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis or muscle protein synthesis, but may suppress a rise in whole-body proteolysis during the later stages of recovery...
- Adding essential amino acids at a low concentration improves the development of in vitro fertilized porcine embryosLuke F S Beebe
Reproduction Biotechnology Group, Centre for Stem Cell Research, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
J Reprod Dev 55:373-7. 2009..For experiment 2, the addition of essential amino acids at either a 1:50 or a 1:100 dilution of the purchased stock solution for day 1 to 6 or for days 3 to 6 ..
- Utilization of essential amino acids synthesized in the intestinal microbiota of monogastric mammalsCornelia C Metges
Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals FBN, Research Unit Nutritional Physiology, Wilhelm Stahl Allee 2, D 18196 Dummerstorf, Germany
Br J Nutr 94:621-2. 2005
- Enhancing essential amino acids and health benefit components in grain crops for improved nutritional valuesIda Wenefrida
Rice Research Station, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, Rayne, LA 70578, USA
Recent Pat DNA Gene Seq 3:219-25. 2009Improving essential amino acids or protein content, along with other phytonutrients in the food crops, will affect a great portion of the world population, especially in developing countries where rice grain is the main source of protein...
- Skeletal muscle protein anabolic response to resistance exercise and essential amino acids is delayed with agingMicah J Drummond
Department of Physical Therapy, Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 1144, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:1452-61. 2008..On the other hand, essential amino acids (EAA) increase MPS equally in both young and old subjects when sufficient EAA is ingested...
- Catabolism of nutritionally essential amino acids in developing porcine enterocytesLixiang Chen
Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, 410128, Changsha, Hunan, China
Amino Acids 37:143-52. 2009..model to test the hypothesis that mucosal cells of the neonatal small intestine can degrade nutritionally essential amino acids (EAA)...
- Nutritional supplementation with mixed essential amino acids enhances myocyte survival, preserving mitochondrial functional capacity during ischemia-reperfusion injuryTiziano M Scarabelli
Division of Cardiology, St John Hospital and Medical Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Am J Cardiol 93:35A-40A. 2004..Sprague-Dawley rats were fed (by enteral route) a liquid diet, with or without mixed essential amino acids (daily dose of 1 g/kg) for 30 days...
- Higher urinary excretion of essential amino acids in preterm infants fed protein hydrolysatesL Maggio
Division of Neonatology, Department of Paediatrics, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Acta Paediatr 94:75-84. 2005..We designed a randomized, controlled trial to test the effects of a preterm formula with hydrolysed cow's milk proteins on short-term growth and urinary and plasma amino acids levels...
- AtCAT6, a sink-tissue-localized transporter for essential amino acids in ArabidopsisUlrich Z Hammes
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, 975 North Warson Road, St Louis, MO 63122, USA
Plant J 48:414-26. 2006..Our data suggest that AtCAT6 plays a role in supplying amino acids to sink tissues of plants and nematode-induced feeding structures...
- Functional properties of whey, whey components, and essential amino acids: mechanisms underlying health benefits for active people (review)Ewan Ha
Functional Ingredients Research, Inc, Twin Falls, Idaho, USA
J Nutr Biochem 14:251-8. 2003..This paper will review the recent literature that describes functional properties of essential amino acids, whey proteins, whey-derived minerals and other compounds and the mechanisms by which they may confer ..
- Toward a feline-optimized culture medium: impact of ions, carbohydrates, essential amino acids, vitamins, and serum on development and metabolism of in vitro fertilization-derived feline embryos relative to embryos grown in vivoJason R Herrick
Center for Conservation and Research of Endangered Wildlife, Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
Biol Reprod 76:858-70. 2007..5, 3.0, or 6.0 mM; l-lactate, 3.0, 6.0, or 12.0 mM; and pyruvate, 0.1 or 1.0 mM) and essential amino acids (EAAs; 0, 0.5, or 1.0x) in the medium during Days 1-3 and Days 3-6 of culture. Inclusion of vitamins (0 vs...
- Essential amino acids of Escherichia coli DnaC protein in an N-terminal domain interact with DnaB helicaseA V Ludlam
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1319, USA
J Biol Chem 276:27345-53. 2001..Bond, M. W., Miyajima, A., Kobori, J., and Arai, K. (1987) J. Biol. Chem. 262, 10475-10480)...
- Improving the levels of essential amino acids and sulfur metabolites in plantsGad Galili
Department of Plant Sciences, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Biol Chem 386:817-31. 2005..Among the essential amino acids needed in human diets, Lys, Met, Thr and Trp are considered as the most important because they are present ..
- Endocrine effects of food intake: insulin, ghrelin, and leptin responses to a single bolus of essential amino acids in humansI Knerr
Department of Paediatrics, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Loschgestrasse 15, DE 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 47:312-8. 2003This study deals with the physiological effects of an oral bolus of essential amino acids (AA) on the secretion of insulin, ghrelin and leptin in fasting humans.
- Hypercortisolemia alters muscle protein anabolism following ingestion of essential amino acidsDouglas Paddon-Jones
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch and Metabolism Unit, Shriners Burns Hospital, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E946-53. 2003..hypercortisolemia alters muscle protein metabolism following ingestion of a potent anabolic stimulus: essential amino acids (EAA). A 27-h infusion (80 microg. kg(-1)...
- Determination of essential amino acids involved in the CD4-independent tropism of the X4 human immunodeficiency virus type 1 m7NDK isolate: role of potential N glycosylations in the C2 and V3 regions of gp120J Dumonceaux
INSERM Unite 380, , , 75014 Paris, France
J Virol 75:5425-8. 2001..Site-directed mutagenesis revealed that three amino acids are essential to maintain this tropism, one in the C2 region and two in the V3 loop. Two mutations implied N glycosylation modifications...
- Overproduction of human interleukin-2 in recombinant Escherichia coli BL21 high-cell-density culture by the determination and optimization of essential amino acids using a simple stoichiometric modelS Yegane-Sarkandy
Chemical Engineering Department, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 54:31-9. 2009..the productivity of human IL-2 (interleukin-2), a stoichiometric model has been used to determine the most essential amino acids and precise values of their amounts to be added to the culture during expression of human IL-2 (as a model ..
- Analysis of the Yersinia enterocolitica PspBC proteins defines functional domains, essential amino acids and new roles within the phage-shock-protein responseErwan Gueguen
Department of Microbiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mol Microbiol 74:619-33. 2009..and physiological functions of PspBC and discovered unexpected new roles, functional domains and essential amino acids. First, we showed that PspB controls PspC concentration by both pre- and post-transcriptional mechanisms...
- The group A streptococcal dipeptide permease (Dpp) is involved in the uptake of essential amino acids and affects the expression of cysteine proteaseA Podbielski
Department of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University Hospital Ulm, Germany
Mol Microbiol 28:1323-34. 1998..They have been found to be involved in the uptake of essential amino acids, haem production, chemotaxis and sporulation. A 5...
- Comprehensive effects of supplemented essential amino acids in patients with severe COPD and sarcopeniaR W Dal Negro
U O C di Pneumologia, ULSS22 Regione Veneto, Ospedale Orlandi, Bussolengo, Verona, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 73:25-33. 2010Aim of the study was to investigate whether or not oral supplementation of essential amino acids (EAAs) may improve body composition, muscle metabolism, physical activity, cognitive function, and health status in a population of subjects ..
- Essential amino acids improve insulin activation of AKT/MTOR signaling in soleus muscle of aged ratsV Flati
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of LAquila, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 23:81-9. 2010b>Essential amino acids (EAA) improve basal muscle protein synthesis in the elderly. Nevertheless, in settings of prolonged supplementation, putative signal pathways of EAA are currently unknown...
- Maternal low-protein diet or hypercholesterolemia reduces circulating essential amino acids and leads to intrauterine growth restrictionKum Kum S Bhasin
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Diabetes 58:559-66. 2009..We have examined maternal mechanisms for adult-onset glucose intolerance, increased adiposity, and atherosclerosis using two mouse models for intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR): maternal protein restriction and hypercholesterolemia...
- The transplacental transport of essential amino acids in uncomplicated human pregnanciesHenry L Galan
Section of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:91.e1-7. 2009The purpose of this study was to assess the placental transport of the essential amino acids (EAAs) in normal pregnancies.
- Different levels of transcriptional regulation due to trophic constraints in the reduced genome of Buchnera aphidicola APSNancie Reymond
UMR 203 INRA INSA de Lyon, Biologie Fonctionnelle Insectes et Interactions BF2I, INSA, Bat Louis Pasteur, 69621 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:7760-6. 2006..the obligate intracellular bacterium associated with most aphid species, provides its hosts with essential amino acids (EAAs), nutrients in short supply in the plant phloem sap...
- Endocrine responses to the oral ingestion of a physiological dose of essential amino acids in humansM Groschl
Department of Paediatrics, Friedrich Alexander Universität Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
J Endocrinol 179:237-44. 2003..was measured at 10 minute intervals following the oral ingestion of a standardised physiological dose of essential amino acids (AA). Twenty-eight healthy male, fasted volunteers (aged 18-40 yrs, BMI 18.0-24...
- Amino acid supplementation alters bone metabolism during simulated weightlessnessS R Zwart
Human Adaptation and Countermeasures Office, NASA Lyndon B Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
J Appl Physiol 99:134-40. 2005..5 g essential amino acids and 90 g carbohydrate per day for 28 days...
- What are the essential elements needed for the determination of amino acid requirements in humans?Peter Fürst
Institute of Nutrition Science, University of Bonn, D 53115 Bonn, Germany
J Nutr 134:1558S-1565S. 2004..Based on these measurements tentative values for conditionally indispensable amino acids during disease are given in the article...
- Evaluation of protein fractionation systems used in formulating rations for dairy cattleC Lanzas
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:507-21. 2007..Approaches need to be developed to account for their variability. Research is needed to provide better methods for measuring pool sizes and ruminal digestion rates for protein fractionation systems...
- Effects of amino acid supplementation on left ventricular remodeling in patients with chronic heart failure with decreased systolic function and diabetes mellitus: rationale and design of a magnetic resonance imaging studyLiviu Klein
Division of Cardiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Cardiol 93:44A-46A. 2004....
- Effect of amino acid mixture on the isolated ischemic heartEvasio Pasini
Service of Metabolic and Nutritional Pathophysiology, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, IRCCS, Medical Center of Montescano, Pavia, Italy
Am J Cardiol 93:30A-34A. 2004..05) and lactate (15 +/- 1.5 mg/min/gww vs 5 +/- 1 mg/min/gww; p <0.05). We conclude that long-term supplementation of an amino acid mixture reduced myocardial ischemic damage...
- Metabolic effects of orally administered amino acid mixture in elderly subjects with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes mellitusSebastiano B Solerte
Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatric Clinic, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Am J Cardiol 93:23A-29A. 2004..We suggest that increased amino acid availability for skeletal muscle function and strength could ameliorate metabolic control and insulin sensitivity in elderly patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes...
- Early myocardial dysfunction in the diabetic heart: current research and clinical applicationsRoldano Scognamiglio
Metabolic Cardiology Unit, Giustinianco Hospital, Division of Metabolic Diseases, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Am J Cardiol 93:17A-20A. 2004....
- Lysine deficiency and feed restriction independently alter cationic amino acid transporter expression in chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus)Brooke D Humphrey
Department of Animal Science, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 143:218-27. 2006..By expressing high affinity CAT isoforms, developing lymphocytes may have a greater ability to obtain lysine than their surrounding tissue during a lysine deficiency...
- Almond (Prunus dulcis L.) protein qualitySusan Ahrens
Department of Nutrition, Food and Exercise Sciences, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, 32306 1493, USA
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 60:123-8. 2005..55 +/- 1.26, 92.25 +/- 1.05, and 82.62 +/- 1.47, respectively. Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS) values suggested almond proteins to be of poor nutritional quality...
- The use of low-protein, low-phosphorus, amino acid- and phytase-supplemented diets on laying hen performance and nitrogen and phosphorus excretionK Keshavarz
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Poult Sci 83:75-83. 2004..5% CP) and a negative control (13% CP) with and without supplementation with the limiting essential amino acids. In experiment 1, supplementing the negative control with lysine, methionine, and tryptophan resulted in ..
- Cold exposure and associated metabolic changes in adult tropical beetles exposed to fluctuating thermal regimesL Lalouette
UMR CNRS 6553, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
FEBS J 274:1759-67. 2007..The increase of several essential amino acids (Lys, Iso, Leu, Phe and Trp) in cold-exposed beetles supports the conclusion that it results from the ..
- Microbial production of single-cell protein from deproteinized whey concentratesNadja Schultz
Universitat Stuttgart, Institut für Bioverfahrenstechnik, Allmandring 31, 70569, Stuttgart, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 69:515-20. 2006..used for the analysis of amino acid and ash composition, showing a distinct increase of eight out of ten essential amino acids compared to sweet and sour whey protein and exceeding the World Health Organisation guidelines for valine, ..
- Effect of ruminally protected methionine on splanchnic metabolism of amino acids in lactating dairy cowsR Berthiaume
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lennoxville, QC, Canada J1M 1Z3
J Dairy Sci 89:1621-34. 2006..1 microM). Although it had no significant effect on net portal and hepatic fluxes of other essential amino acids, RPM resulted in a linear increase in the total splanchnic output of Ile, Leu, Phe, and Thr...
- Intestinal protein supply alters amino acid, but not glucose, metabolism by the sheep gastrointestinal tractSamer W El-Kadi
Department of Animal and Avian Scienes, University of Maryland College Park, MD 00742, USA
J Nutr 136:1261-9. 2006..05, r = 0.90; PDV, P < 0.05, r = 0.93). The ruminant GIT appears to metabolize increasing amounts of the branched-chain AAs and certain nonessential AAs when the intestinal supply of protein is increased...
- Interplay of stress and physical inactivity on muscle loss: Nutritional countermeasuresDouglas Paddon-Jones
The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
J Nutr 136:2123-6. 2006..This review focuses on the role of amino acid supplementation in the maintenance of skeletal muscle mass during age-related and clinically mandated inactivity...
- Exogenous amino acids stimulate human muscle anabolism without interfering with the response to mixed meal ingestionDouglas Paddon-Jones
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E761-7. 2005..to determine whether ingestion of a between-meal supplement containing 30 g of carbohydrate and 15 g of essential amino acids (CAA) altered the metabolic response to a nutritionally mixed meal in healthy, recreationally active male ..
- Increasing dietary crude protein does not increase the essential amino acid requirements of kittensM J Strieker
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 90:344-53. 2006..These results indicate that the EAA requirements of kittens are not positively correlated with dietary CP concentrations...
- Responses to amino acid imbalances and deficiencies in lactating dairy cowsT L Weekes
Centre for Nutrition Modelling, Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1 Canada
J Dairy Sci 89:2177-87. 2006..Infusion of the complete amino acid mix resulted in an increase in the plasma concentrations of several essential amino acids, insulin, and glucagon...
- Sparing of methionine requirements: evaluation of human data takes sulfur amino acids beyond proteinNaomi K Fukagawa
Department of Medicine and General Clinical Research Center, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
J Nutr 136:1676S-1681S. 2006..Other pathways may influence the specific requirement for methionine and/or cysteine, especially when the person is challenged by disease, inadequate availability of food, or environmental stress...
- Skeletal muscle protein mobilization during the progression of lactationEmma J Clowes
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E564-72. 2005....
- Human soleus and vastus lateralis muscle protein metabolism with an amino acid infusionChad C Carroll
Nutrition, Metabolism, and Exercise Laboratory, DWR Department of Geriatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E479-85. 2005..The greater 4E-BP1 in the soleus suggests that there is a muscle-specific distribution of general translational initiation machinery in human skeletal muscle...
- Amino acids and muscle loss with agingSatoshi Fujita
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
J Nutr 136:277S-80S. 2006..For this reason, long-term essential amino acid supplementation may be a useful tool for the prevention and treatment of sarcopenia, particularly if excess leucine is provided in the supplement...
- Effect of level of metabolizable protein on splanchnic flux of amino acids in lactating dairy cowsG Raggio
Departement des Sciences Animales, Universite Laval, Ste Foy, QC, Canada, G1K 7P4
J Dairy Sci 87:3461-72. 2004..Yields of milk and protein increased, as did urinary N excretion with increasing MP. Portal absorption of essential amino acids (EAA) increased linearly with increasing MP supply, as did liver removal of His, Met, and Phe...
- Absorption of chemically unmodified lysine from proteins in foods that have sustained damage during processing or storagePaul J Moughan
Massey University, Riddet Centre, Private Bag 11 222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J AOAC Int 88:949-54. 2005..The development and application of an assay for absorbed (ileal digestible) reactive lysine is discussed...
- Enhanced fracture and soft-tissue healing by means of anabolic dietary supplementationMichael S Hughes
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Missouri School of Medicine, One Hospital Drive, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2386-94. 2006..This animal study was designed to examine the effects of dietary protein intake and the role of conditionally essential amino acids in muscle and bone-healing after a fracture.
- Essential amino acid and carbohydrate supplementation ameliorates muscle protein loss in humans during 28 days bedrestDouglas Paddon-Jones
Metabolism Unit, 815 Market Street, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4351-8. 2004..The experimental group (EXP) also consumed 16.5 g essential amino acids and 30 g carbohydrate (1100, 1600, and 2100 h). The dietary regimen was maintained during bedrest...
- Nutrient signalling in the regulation of human muscle protein synthesisSatoshi Fujita
University of Texas Medical Branch, Department of Internal Medicine, Galveston, TX 77555 1144, USA
J Physiol 582:813-23. 2007..On the other hand, essential amino acids (leucine in particular) and insulin stimulate mTOR signalling and protein synthesis...
- Relationship of dietary lysine level to the concentration of all essential amino acids in broiler dietsJ Si
Poultry Science Department, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72701, USA
Poult Sci 80:1472-9. 2001A study was conducted to evaluate the relationship of dietary Lys and other essential amino acids (EAA) in diets for broilers. Diets were formulated based upon NRC (1994) recommendations...
- Stable nitrogen isotopes in essential versus non-essential amino acids of different plankton size fractionsNatalie Loick
Baltic Sea Research Institute Warnemünde, Rostock, Germany
Isotopes Environ Health Stud 43:281-93. 2007..isotope values (delta(15)N) of the essential amino acid (EAA) leucine and the delta(15)N values of six non-essential amino acids (NEAAs) from plankton size fractions from the South China Sea (SCS) were analysed...
- Evaluation of amino acid patterns in recipes for kidney disease patientsJunko Kawakami
Department of Home Economics, Sagami Women s Junior College, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
J Ren Nutr 13:126-32. 2003..In addition, this research explored practical knowledge about which combination of foods could cause an imbalance, if any, of amino acids, and seek to further improve diets for patients with kidney disease...
- Leucine-enriched essential amino acid and carbohydrate ingestion following resistance exercise enhances mTOR signaling and protein synthesis in human muscleHans C Dreyer
Department of Physical Therapy, Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 1144, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E392-400. 2008We recently showed that resistance exercise and ingestion of essential amino acids with carbohydrate (EAA+CHO) can independently stimulate mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling and muscle protein synthesis in humans...
- Effect of soybean meal particle size on amino acid and energy digestibility in grower-finisher swineN D Fastinger
Department of Animal Sciences, The Ohio State University and Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, Columbus 43210, USA
J Anim Sci 81:697-704. 2003..05) as particle size decreased. When the essential amino acids were averaged, apparent digestibility increased (P < 0.10) from 83.5% to 84...
- Amino acid metabolism and regulatory effects in agingKyle L Timmerman
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0460, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11:45-9. 2008..To examine recent discoveries related to the amino acid metabolism and regulatory effects in aging, focusing on the development and treatment of age-related muscle loss (sarcopenia)...
- Dietary crude protein has minimal effect on the activity of selected enzymes of methionine catabolism in kittens fed diets near-limiting in methionineM J Strieker
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 92:149-56. 2008....
- Acute response of net muscle protein balance reflects 24-h balance after exercise and amino acid ingestionKevin D Tipton
Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E76-89. 2003The purpose of this study was to determine if the acute anabolic muscle response to resistance exercise and essential amino acids (EAA) reflects the response over 24 h...
- L-threonine supplementation increases the amplitude of the feed intake cycle of rats fed a low-protein zinc-deficient dietKazuhiro Yamasaki
Faculty of Nutrition and High Technology Research Center, Kobe Gakuin University, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 48:230-7. 2002..patterns in rats fed a zinc-deficient diet before and after supplementation with protein and several essential amino acids were determined...
- [Effect of hypoproteic diets enriched with essential and non-essential amino acids on the uninephrectomized rat ]Virginia Leticia Colina
Universidad Central de Venezuela, Sección de Investigaciones Cardio Renales, Instituto de Medicina Experimental, Facultad de Medicina, Apartado Postal 50587, Caracas 1050, Venezuela
Acta Cient Venez 53:21-8. 2002..The hypoproteinic diets were enriched with Lysine and Arginine (essential amino acids) and Proline, Glutamic Acid and Asparagine (non essential amino acids)...
- Dietary essential amino acid supplements increase bone strength by influencing bone mass and bone microarchitecture in ovariectomized adult rats fed an isocaloric low-protein dietP Ammann
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Bone Miner Res 17:1264-72. 2002..The animals fed the 2.5% casein diet were given isocaloric supplements of essential amino acids in similar relative proportion to that of casein at doses of 2...
- Protein and amino acid metabolism in the human newbornSatish C Kalhan
Department of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 28:389-410. 2008..Finally, the physiological rationale and the impact of nutrient (amino acids) interventions on the dynamics of protein metabolism are discussed...
- Effects of amino acid intake on anabolic processesR R Wolfe
University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriners Burns Hospital, Galveston, TX, USA
Can J Appl Physiol 26:S220-7. 2001..of muscle protein synthesis appears to be the extracellular concentrations of one or more of the essential amino acids (EAAs)...
- Protein quality assessment: impact of expanding understanding of protein and amino acid needs for optimal healthD Joe Millward
School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, University of Surrey, Surrey, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1576S-1581S. 2008..As research continues to evolve in assessing protein's role in optimal health at higher intakes, there is also need to continue to explore implications for protein quality assessment...
- Free amino acid pool and muscle protein balance after resistance exerciseHannu T Pitkanen
Neuromuscular Research Center, Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:784-92. 2003..The aim of this study was to assess the effects of a resistance exercise session (RES) on free amino acid concentrations and protein synthesis and breakdown of the vastus lateralis (VL) muscle during recovery in male subjects...
- Body composition of patients on a very low-protein diet: a two-year survey with DEXAPhilippe Chauveau
Service de Nephrologie, Hopital Pellegrin, Bordeaux
J Ren Nutr 13:282-7. 2003..However, only few studies have examined the course of nutritional status and body composition in the long term (2 years)...
- Nutrition support in critical illness: amino acidsPeter Stehle
Department of Nutrition Science, University Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 8:57-66; discussion 67-73. 2003
- Aging does not impair the anabolic response to a protein-rich mealT Brock Symons
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1144, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 86:451-6. 2007..We previously showed that free-form essential amino acids acutely stimulate muscle protein synthesis in both the young and the elderly...
- Lysine requirement of healthy school-age children determined by the indicator amino acid oxidation methodRajavel Elango
Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 86:360-5. 2007..The current Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommendations for lysine requirements in children are based on a factorial estimate...
- Dietary arginine supplementation enhances the growth of milk-fed young pigsSung Woo Kim
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409 2141, USA
J Nutr 134:625-30. 2004..Collectively, both the metabolic and growth data demonstrate unequivocally that arginine is deficient in milk-fed young pigs and that this arginine deficiency represents a major obstacle to maximal growth in piglets...
- Dried distillers grains plus solubles with corn silage or alfalfa hay as the primary forage source in dairy cow dietsD H Kleinschmit
Dairy Science Department, South Dakota State University, Brookings 57007 0647, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:5587-99. 2007..Feeding alfalfa hay as the sole forage source improved feed efficiency compared with diets containing corn silage...
- Nitrogen balance and ileal amino acid digestibility in growing pigs fed diets reduced in protein concentrationE R Otto
Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
J Anim Sci 81:1743-53. 2003....
- Crude protein and essential amino acid requirements in chicks during the first week posthatchD Sklan
Faculty of Agriculture, Hebrew University, Rehovot, Israel
Br Poult Sci 44:266-74. 2003..lysine and sulphur amino acid supply in the first week posthatch in broilers and the relationship between essential amino acids and dietary crude protein during the first week posthatch on performance at 7 d and through marketing. 2...
- Growth, carcass traits, and plasma amino acid concentrations of gilts fed low-protein diets supplemented with amino acids including histidine, isoleucine, and valineJ L Figueroa
Department of Animal Science, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 68583 0908, USA
J Anim Sci 81:1529-37. 2003..These data suggest that valine is the fifth-limiting amino acid and that either histidine or isoleucine is the sixth-limiting amino acid in an 11% CP diet...
- [The modulating role of essential and non-essential amino acids in organotypic tissue culture in rats of different ages]N I Chalisova
I P Pavlov Institute of Physiology, Russian Acad Sci, 199034, St Petersburg, Nab Makarova, 6, Russia
Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 89:591-7. 2003..The data obtained suggest a modulating role of amino acids in the tissues at different stages of maturation...
- Effects of nutrients (in food) on the structure and function of the nervous system: update on dietary requirements for brain. Part 1: micronutrientsJ M Bourre
French Academy of Medicine INSERM, U705 CNRS, UMR 7157 Universités Paris 7 et 5, Department of Neuro pharmaco nutrition Hôpital Fernand Widal, 200, rue du Faubourg Saint Denis, 75475 Paris Cedex 10
J Nutr Health Aging 10:377-85. 2006..Macronutrients are presented in the accompanying paper...
- Dietary protein reduction in sheep and goats: different effects on L-alanine and L-leucine transport across the brush-border membrane of jejunal enterocytesB Schroder
Department of Physiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Bischofsholer Damm 15, 30173 Hannover, Germany
J Comp Physiol B 173:511-8. 2003..amino acids L-alanine (representative for nonessential amino acids) and L-leucine (representative for essential amino acids) as model substances...
- [Co-expressions of phosphoenolpyruvate synthetase A (ppsA) and transketolase A (tktA) genes of Escherichia coli]Yong Hui Li
Institute of Radiation Medicine, Academy of Military Medicine Science, Beijing 100850, China
Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao 19:301-6. 2003..Aromatic metabolites such as tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine are essential amino acids for human and animals. In addition, phenylalanine is used in aspartame production...
- Mechanism of inhibition of peptide chain initiation by amino acid deprivation in perfused rat liver. Regulation involving inhibition of eukaryotic initiation factor 2 alpha phosphatase activityS R Kimball
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033
J Biol Chem 266:1969-76. 1991..initiation of protein synthesis was shown to be inhibited in perfused rat livers deprived of single essential amino acids. In the present study, histidinol, a competitive inhibitor of histidinyl-tRNA synthetase, was used to ..
- Plasma amino acid levels in patients with colorectal cancers and liver cirrhosis with hepatocellular carcinomaJenq Chang Lee
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1269-73. 2003..In this study, we try to investigate the plasma free amino acid profile in patients with colorectal cancer and liver cirrhosis with hepatocellular carcinoma, which are the most common cancers in Taiwan...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of essential residues involved in the mechanism of bacterial glycosylasparaginaseY Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama 36688, USA
J Biol Chem 273:9688-94. 1998..Based on the activity of the mutant enzymes, six catalytically essential amino acids were identified: Trp-11, Asp-66, Thr-152, Thr-170, Arg-180, and Asp-183...
- L-leucine, L-methionine, and L-lysine are involved in the regulation of intermediary metabolism-related gene expression in rainbow trout hepatocytesMarine Lansard
INRA, UMR1067 Nutrition Aquaculture et Génomique, Pôle d Hydrobiologie, CD918, F 64310 St Pée sur Nivelle, France
J Nutr 141:75-80. 2011..was placed on leucine, known to be a signaling molecule in mammals, and methionine and lysine that are essential amino acids limiting in plant-based diets for fish...
- [HFR vs HDF-ON line: plasmatic amino acids loss evaluation]E Ragazzoni
U O Aziendale di Nefrologia e Dialisi, Ospedale di Borgomanero, Borgomanero, Novara
G Ital Nefrol 21:S85-90. 2004..These amino acids, often present with low plasmatic levels in hemodialyzed patients, seem to be related to a picture of malnourishment...
- Identification of six novel allosteric effectors of Arabidopsis thaliana aspartate kinase-homoserine dehydrogenase isoforms. Physiological context sets the specificityGilles Curien
Laboratoire de Physiologie Cellulaire Végétale UMR5168, CEA CNRS INRA Université Joseph Fourier, 38054 Grenoble, France
J Biol Chem 280:41178-83. 2005..These two activities catalyze the first and the third steps toward the synthesis of the essential amino acids threonine, isoleucine, and methionine...
- Impact of increasing parenteral protein loads on amino acid levels and balance in critically ill anuric patients on continuous renal replacement therapyC D Scheinkestel
Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Nutrition 19:733-40. 2003....
- Effects of estrous cycle stage and transport temperature of ovaries on in vitro maturation of canine oocytesMithat Evecen
Department of Reproduction and Artificial Insemination, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Istanbul University, 34320 Avcilar, Istanbul, Turkey
Anim Reprod Sci 117:160-5. 2010..mSOF) supplemented with follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), essential and non-essential amino acids at 38.5 degrees C in a humidified 5% CO(2), 5% O(2), and 90% N(2) atmosphere for 72 h...
- Nutrition and Anabolic Interventions in Cancer CachexiaMelinda Sheffield-Moore; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our general hypothesis is that the antianorectic and anticachectic effects of leucine-enhanced essential amino acids (L-EAA) supplemented concomitantly with testosterone's anabolic and anticatabolic properties will ..
- Remodeling of Lipid Metabolism by Dietary Methionine RestrictionERIC PAUL PLAISANCE; Fiscal Year: 2012..general control non-derepressible 2 (GCN2) kinase, a protein which is activated when any one of the 9-10 essential amino acids (EAAs) in the diet are removed...
- Benefits of dietary essential amino acid restrictionJames Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, we have also found that restriction of two other essential amino acids - tryptophan and leucine - lend similar benefits...
- Immune-based nutrient deprivation and neurodegenerative diseaseCarol Anne Colton; Fiscal Year: 2013..By increasing arginine and tryptophan uptake, immune cells reduce the levels of these essential amino acids in the microenvironment...
- Nutritional Supplement to Reduce Triglycerides and CholesterolSharon L Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..The blend consists of a specific formulation of essential amino acids (EAAs) and the amino acid arginine that have been shown to lower circulating TGs and liver fat, and plant ..
- NUTRITION &EXERCISE TO IMPROVE PROTEIN METABOLISM &PREVENT SARCOPENIA IN AGINGElena Volpi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary data indicate that essential amino acids are the most efficient nutrients for the acute stimulation of muscle protein anabolism, and that long term ..
- Amino acid sensing and phenotypic adaptation in T cellsPeter J Murray; Fiscal Year: 2013..The availability of essential amino acids has emerged as a central metabolic mechanism that regulates both T cell growth and the eventual T cell ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF INSECT AMINO ACID TRANSPORTDmitri Y Boudko; Fiscal Year: 2010..We determined that NATs comprise the major mechanism for the active absorption and redistribution of all essential amino acids in mosquitoes...
- Role of unique ADP-ribosylating vacuolating Mycoplasma pneumoniae toxin iJOEL BARRY BASEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..CARDS TX ADP-ribosylating airway protein targets, delineating functionally important CARDS TX domains and essential amino acids that mediate CARDS TX binding to human surfactant protein A (SP-A) and airway cells, and generating ..
- Optimal Amino Acid Nutrition in SepsisRobert R Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our overriding hypothesis is that there is a unique formulation based primarily on essential amino acids (EAAs) that will maximally stimulate protein synthesis in muscle and gut mucosa, while maintaining protein ..
- Muscle Regrowth during Physical Rehabilitation and Amino Acid SupplementationHANS CHRISTIAN DREYER; Fiscal Year: 2012..mainly by reducing muscle protein synthesis;(2) TKA induced catabolism is attenuated by the ingestion of essential amino acids (EAA);(3) EAA supplementation in combination with physical therapy (PT) will stimulate muscle protein ..
- Maximizing Protein Growth in the Early Neonatal PeriodPatti Thureen; Fiscal Year: 2009..growth should approximate that of the fetus at the same gestational age;2) that optimal concentrations of essential amino acids in parenteral nutrition can be determined that will improve the quality of amino acid intake in order to ..
- MECHANISMS OF METABOLIC REGULATION BY DIETARY METHIONINE RESTRICTIONThomas W Gettys; Fiscal Year: 2013..in vivo and in vitro approach to establish the specificity of restricting dietary methionine versus other essential amino acids. The goal of this work is to identify the nutrient sensing and signaling systems which detect the ..
- Severe falciparum malaria: mechanisms of hypoargininemiaBert Lopansri; Fiscal Year: 2006..associated with the uptake, biosynthesis and catabolism of arginine, and levels of other essential and non-essential amino acids. Plasma samples will be analyzed using HPLC with pre-column derivatization and fluorescence detection...
- THERAPY IN DIALYSIS HYPOALBUMINEMIA AND HOMOCYSTEINEMIAJoseph Eustace; Fiscal Year: 2004..0 g/dl, examining in one arm of the trial the efficacy of oral essential amino acids supplements versus placebo at improving serum albumin levels and reducing hospitalization rates and (1C) ..
- ACTIVE SITE STUDIES OF HUMAN SULFOTRANSFERASESGuangping Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Mutagenesis of essential amino acids and/or functional domains of human STs. 4.Computational molecular structure studies of human STs...
- REGULATING BRANCHED-CHAIN--A-KETOACID DEHYDROGENASER Paxton; Fiscal Year: 1992..Catabolism of these essential amino acids (leucine, valine and isoleucine) is altered by various physiological conditions: diabetes, fasting, ..
- IMPLICATION OF BRANCHED-CHAIN AMINO AND KETOACIDSMackenzie Walser; Fiscal Year: 1980..Clinical studies have established that these compounds alone, or mixures of these compounds with other essential amino acids or nitrogen-free analogues thereof, may be effective therapeutic agents in a variety of disorders, ..
- SOY PROTEIN USE IN EARLY DIABETIC NEPHROPATHYPaolo Fanti; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose that soy protein, a plant protein relatively high in essential amino acids and with high nutritional value, may be particularly beneficial to Type 1 diabetic patients with incipient ..
- Nutritional Formulation to Target Muscle Loss in CKD PatientsSharon Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have repeatedly demonstrated the anabolic capacity of a formulation of essential amino acids (EAA) and have developed a supplement designed to maintain muscle mass and function in the elderly...
- BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER LARGE NEUTRAL AMINO ACID TRANSPORTERWilliam Pardridge; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will provide new molecular biological information on a crucial transporter at the blood-brain barrier that regulates the supply in the brain of essential amino acids.
- BEDREST AND PROTEIN LOSS IN THE ELDERLYT Stein; Fiscal Year: 2000..The two groups are: (1) control, supplemented for the bedrest period with 30 mMol.kg-l.d-l of three non-essential amino acids glycine, serine and alanine and (2) BCAA supplemented for the bed rest period with 30 mMol.kg-1...
- METABOLIC REGULATION IN THE ACUTE PHASEDavid Ron; Fiscal Year: 2002..This information will be invaluable for rational selection of targets for therapeutic interventions that rely on manipulating the cellular response to ER stress. ..
- BRAIN SPECTRIN AND SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSIONSteven Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2000..207-445 of beta(Sp)IIsigma1) can bind synaptic vesicles, and define the smallest functional subdomain and essential amino acids for attachment...
- TRANSLATION INITIATION IN MULTICELLULAR EUKARYOTESDouglas Cavener; Fiscal Year: 2002..the response to amino acid deprivation in higher eukaryotes is dependent upon whether essential or non- essential amino acids are limiting...
- REGULATION OF LIVER GROWTH AND FUNCTIONLeonard Jefferson; Fiscal Year: 1993..Studies of translational control are to focus on peptide-chain initiation using deficiency of single essential amino acids to induce an inhibition in formation of 40S initiation complexes, and diabetes to induce an inhibition ..
- Inhibitors of sulfate assimilation as new therapy for TBStefan Hemmerich; Fiscal Year: 2003..Thus, new classes of antibiotics are desperately needed. Sulfur-containing metabolites, including the essential amino acids cysteine and methionine, and the virulence factors mycothiol and sulfolipid-1, are crucial for the ..
- Nutritional Countermeasures Against Sarcopenic ObesitySharon Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have demonstrated the effectiveness of essential amino acids in stimulating muscle protein synthesis under a variety of physiological scenarios, even under conditions ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF HEPATIC HYPERMETABOLISM IN BURNSMartin Yarmush; Fiscal Year: 2001..in the liver in response to burn trauma, and how these changes affect the metabolism of conditionally essential amino acids and the conversion of amino acid nitrogen into urea. The specific aims of the proposed work are: 1...
- Gating of CFTR CI Channels by ATP HydrolysisTzyh Chang Hwang; Fiscal Year: 2009..pockets? Is binding of ATP at both NBDs absolutely required for channel opening? Since NBD1 lacks the essential amino acids for ATP hydrolysis, what is the role of ATP binding at NBD1? Our specific aims are: Aim 1...
- SERUM PROTEIN SYNTHESIS BY MOUSE HEPATOMA CELLSBARRY LEDFORD; Fiscal Year: 1980..regulatory phenomena will be studied in Hepa: 1) autoregulation of albumin synthesis, 2) effects of essential amino acids on albumin synthesis, 3) effects of cyclic AMP on serum protein synthesis, and 4) the effects of ..
- BIOCHEMICAL STUDIES OF THE NA, K-ATPASE ENZYMEMARCIA STEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 1980..2) Chemical modifications of essential amino acids with group-specific reagents and site-directed inhibitors (affinity labels) are designed to examine the ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC DISSECTION OF AVRRXV FUNCTIONMAUREEN WHALEN; Fiscal Year: 1999..mutagenesis of codons for shared domains will eliminate AvrRxv function; random mutagenesis will identify essential amino acids for function; AvrRxv will function when directly expressed by the host cell bypassing the type III ..
- Liver Fibrosis, Inflammation & Oxidative Stress MarkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM AND ROLE OF MICROSOMAL ETHANOL OXIDATIONCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such information is aimed at elucidating key aspects of alcohol mediated pathology in a way which may eventually affect alcohol related medical complications, their prevention and treatment. ..
- ANTIVIRAL & ANTIFIBROTIC LIVER THERAPY OF HCV+ DRINKERSCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2005..Funds are requested for special laboratory tests, study nurses, travel to meetings, patient monitoring expenses and a core office. ..
- Synergistic Nutraceutical Effects of DLPC and SAMeCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antiviral/Antifibrotic Liver Therapy of Hepatitis C positive Alcohol DrinkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accordingly, support is requested for the completion of this novel approach for the treatment of HCV+ patients who become abstinent or who continue to consume alcohol moderately. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DLPC Treatment of Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic FibrosisCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS AND SEIZURE SUSCEPTIBILITYDorothy Gietzen; Fiscal Year: 2001..The effect of essential amino acids in the anterior piriform cortex will be evaluated in vitro by assessing calcium flux and ..
- INTEGRATIVE RESPONSES TO AMINO ACID DEFICIENCYDorothy Gietzen; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Brain Signaling of Essential Amino Acid DeficiencyDorothy Gietzen; Fiscal Year: 2006..When APC neurons are activated, their glutamatergic output first acts at AMPA receptors to signal AA deficiency to other parts of the brain for the anorectic responses. ..
- MINIMAL ENTERAL NUTRIENT REQUIREMENTS IN NEONATESDouglas Burrin; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MUSCLE PROTEIN METABOLISM, EXERCISE AND NUTRITIONKevin Tipton; Fiscal Year: 2001..These groups might include the elderly or those in rehabilitation from injuries, illnesses and burns. ..
- MECHANISMS AND CONSEQUENCES OF DELETERIOUS EVOLUTION IN BACTERIAJennifer J Wernegreen; Fiscal Year: 2010..By deciphering fundamental mechanisms that influence bacterial genome evolution, this study will contribute to a predictive framework for understanding how microbes evolve. ..
- REGULATION OF LEUCINE OXIDATIONRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2001..To clone, express, and characterize BCKDH phosphatase and determine its role in regulation of the activity state of the BCKDH complex. ..
- Sulfur Amino Acid Metabolism in NAFLDSatish C Kalhan; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies are aimed at examining the metabolic mechanisms involved in the progression of this disease, so that specific targeted intervention strategies related to the stage of the disease can be identified and evaluated. ..
- EXERCISE EFFECTS ON PROTEIN METABOLISMRobert Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this study will also contribute to our understanding of the mechanism whereby nutritional intake affects muscle protein metabolism. ..
- EXERCISE, LIPOLYSIS AND FAT OXIDATIONRobert Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Peripheral Arterial Disease and Leg Muscle MetabolismLOIS KILLEWICH; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is my ultimate hope that the combined interventions of bypass surgery and nutritional supplementation with amino acids can be used to improve overall functional status of these elderly Americans. ..
- REGULATION OF PLACENTAL METABOLISM BY GLUCOSE SUPPLYWilliam Hay; Fiscal Year: 2006..These are essential studies to conduct, as IUGR, primarily caused by placental insufficiency, is an important national and international health problem affecting the fetus, neonate, child, and adult. ..
- Amino Acids and Muscle Protein SynthesisRobert Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Fetal Velocimetry & Amino Acid Transport in PregnancyFREDERICK BATTAGLIA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The transport of the 9 essential amino acids across the placenta will be studied using stable isotopes and determining the fetal/maternal enrichments ..
- Regulation of Mammalian Oocyte MaturationStephen Downs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will benefit the development of in vitro systems where either meiotic arrest or completion of meiotic maturation is the desired endpoint. ..
- Therapeutic Adaptation of Insulin Action in HumansRobert Coker; Fiscal Year: 2007..Coker to develop into an independent basic scientist in diabetes research. ..
- REGULATION OF PYRUVATE DEHYDROGENASE KINASERobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- EXERCISE AND A HIGH CARBOHYDRATE DIETWilliam Evans; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed studies will have important implications for the treatment of obesity and its vast array of complications that are often seen in older men and women. ..
- LONGEVITY/CANDIDATE GENE POLYMORPHISMS IN DROSOPHILAMarc Tatar; Fiscal Year: 2003..The genotype-phenotype associations detected with this design will be of broad significance to the problem of genetic variation for longevity in general populations. ..
- Sex Steroids, and TMJ PainLarry Bellinger; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Genetics of Reproductive SenescenceMarc Tatar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Coupled with the program-wide multidimensional measures of somatic aging, we shall evaluate the extent that reproductive and somatic aging are concordant or independent. ..