Genomes and Genes
Summary: A compound produced from succinyl-CoA and GLYCINE as an intermediate in heme synthesis. It is used as a PHOTOCHEMOTHERAPY for actinic KERATOSIS.
Publications265 found, 100 shown here
- Fluorescence-guided surgery with 5-aminolevulinic acid for resection of malignant glioma: a randomised controlled multicentre phase III trialWalter Stummer
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Lancet Oncol 7:392-401. 20065-Aminolevulinic acid is a non-fluorescent prodrug that leads to intracellular accumulation of fluorescent porphyrins in malignant gliomas-a finding that is under investigation for intraoperative identification and resection of these ..
- Gross total resection rates in contemporary glioblastoma surgery: results of an institutional protocol combining 5-aminolevulinic acid intraoperative fluorescence imaging and brain mappingPhilippe Schucht
Department of Neurosurgery, Bern University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Neurosurgery 71:927-35; discussion 935-6. 2012..Various intraoperative technologies have recently been introduced to improve glioma surgery...
- Novel development of 5-aminolevurinic acid (ALA) in cancer diagnoses and therapyMasahiro Ishizuka
SBI ALApromo Co, LTD Roppongi 1 6 1, Minato ku, Tokyo 106 6019, Japan
Int Immunopharmacol 11:358-65. 2011..5-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) is a natural, delta amino acid biosynthesized by animal and plant mitochondria...
- Fluorescence-guided resection of glioblastoma multiforme by using 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced porphyrins: a prospective study in 52 consecutive patientsW Stummer
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute for Neuropathology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Neurosurg 93:1003-13. 2000It has been established that 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) induces the accumulation of fluorescent porphyrins in glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), a phenomenon potentially exploitable to guide tumor resection...
- Apoptosis of SAS cells induced by sonodynamic therapy using 5-aminolevulinic acid sonosensitizerWei Song
Department of Physics and Laboratory of Sono and Photo theranostic Technologies, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, Heilongjiang, PR China
Anticancer Res 31:39-45. 20115-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has been used as a photodynamic sensitizer for cancer treatment using photodynamic therapy. However, the light has markedly limited penetration depth...
- 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)-induced fluorescence in intracerebral metastases: a retrospective studyMarcel A Kamp
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, Moorenstraße 5, Geb 13 71, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154:223-8; discussion 228. 2012..Microsurgical, circumferential stripping of intracerebral metastases often proves to be insufficient to prevent local tumor recurrence...
- Topical delivery of 5-aminolevulinic acid-encapsulated ethosomes in a hyperproliferative skin animal model using the CLSM technique to evaluate the penetration behaviorYi Ping Fang
School of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 73:391-8. 2009..Currently, the topical delivery of 5-aminolevulinic acid-photodynamic therapy (ALA-PDT) is an optional treatment for psoriasis which provides long-term therapeutic ..
- Impact of the combination of 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced fluorescence with intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging-guided surgery for gliomaAtsushi Tsugu
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
World Neurosurg 76:120-7. 2011To compare intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided resection with resection guided by 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)-induced fluorescence in patients with gliomas and to evaluate the impact of intraoperative MRI in glioma ..
- Surgery guided by 5-aminolevulinic fluorescence in glioblastoma: volumetric analysis of extent of resection in single-center experienceRicardo Díez Valle
Departamento de Neurocirugia, Clinica Universitaria de Navarra, Avda Pio XII, 36, 31008 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
J Neurooncol 102:105-13. 2011We analyzed the efficacy and applicability of surgery guided by 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) fluorescence in consecutive patients with glioblastoma multiforme (GBM). Thirty-six patients with GBM were operated on using ALA fluorescence...
- Coregistered fluorescence-enhanced tumor resection of malignant glioma: relationships between δ-aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX fluorescence, magnetic resonance imaging enhancement, and neuropathological parameters. Clinical articleDavid W Roberts
Section of Neurosurgery, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
J Neurosurg 114:595-603. 2011....
- Resection and survival in glioblastoma multiforme: an RTOG recursive partitioning analysis of ALA study patientsUwe Pichlmeier
Medac Gesellschaft für klinische Spezialpräparate mbH, Wedel, Germany
Neuro Oncol 10:1025-34. 2008..The 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) study investigated the influence of fluorescence-guided resections on outcome and generated an ..
- Histological examination of false positive tissue resection using 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced fluorescence guidanceSatoshi Utsuki
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 47:210-3; discussion 213-4. 2007Intraoperative 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)-induced fluorescence guidance for resection of malignant brain tumors was correlated with histological examination to investigate false positive findings in 42 patients with malignant glioma ..
- Guidelines on the use of photodynamic therapy for nonmelanoma skin cancer: an international consensus. International Society for Photodynamic Therapy in Dermatology, 2005Lasse R Braathen
Dermatological University Clinic, Bern, Switzerland
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:125-43. 2007..article presents up-to-date, practical, evidence-based recommendations on the use of topical PDT using 5-aminolevulinic acid or methyl aminolevulinate for the treatment (and prevention) of nonmelanoma skin cancers...
- Detection and photodynamic therapy of inflamed atherosclerotic plaques in the carotid artery of rabbitsChenghai Peng
Department of Cardiology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150086, PR China
J Photochem Photobiol B 102:26-31. 2011..This study aimed to detect the accumulation of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-derived protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) in inflamed atherosclerotic plaque in rabbit model and evaluate the ..
- Pathological characterization of the glioblastoma border as shown during surgery using 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced fluorescenceMiguel Angel Idoate
Department of Pathology, Clinical University of Navarra, Navarra, Spain
Neuropathology 31:575-82. 2011Thirty consecutive surgical patients with glioblastoma, were operated upon using fluorescence induced by 5-aminolevulinic acid as guidance...
- Comparison of 5-aminolevulinic acid-encapsulated liposome versus ethosome for skin delivery for photodynamic therapyYi Ping Fang
Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Int J Pharm 356:144-52. 2008Topical photodynamic therapy (PDT) with 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) is an alternative therapy for many non-melanoma skin cancers...
- Optical touch pointer for fluorescence guided glioblastoma resection using 5-aminolevulinic acidNeda Haj-Hosseini
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Linkoping University, Linköping 58185, Sweden
Lasers Surg Med 42:9-14. 2010..The objective of this study was to develop and evaluate a hand-held optical touch pointer using a fluorescence spectroscopy system to quantitatively distinguish healthy from malignant brain tissue intraoperatively...
- 5-aminolevulinic acid-incorporated poly(vinyl alcohol) nanofiber-coated metal stent for application in photodynamic therapyJin Ju Yoo
National Research and Development Center for Hepatobiliary Diseases, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Gyeongnam 626 770, Korea
Int J Nanomedicine 7:1997-2005. 2012..For this purpose, 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) was incorporated into poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA) nanofiber, and coated onto metal stents...
- 5-aminolevulinic acid induced protoporphyrin IX fluorescence in high-grade glioma surgery: a one-year experience at a single institutuionM Hefti
Department of Neurosurgery, Kantonsspital Aarau, Aarau, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 138:180-5. 2008..We report on the feasibility of the method in daily clinical practice, the benefits for patients and surgeons, the technical limitations and the methods we have devised of overcoming these limitations...
- 5-aminolevulinic acid alleviates the salinity-induced changes in Brassica napus as revealed by the ultrastructural study of chloroplastMuhammad S Naeem
Institute of Crop Science and Key Laboratory of Crop Germplasm Resource of Zhejiang Province, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310058, China
Plant Physiol Biochem 57:84-92. 20125-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) is an important plant growth regulator which is derived from 5-carbon aliphatic amino acid...
- Colorectal cancer cell detection by 5-aminolaevulinic acid-loaded chitosan nano-particlesShu Jyuan Yang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine and College of Engineering, National Taiwan University, No 1, Sec 1, Jen Ai Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Cancer Lett 273:210-20. 2009..This result implies that CNA could exclude the influence of normal flora inside the gut and serves as an adequate tool for fluorescent endoscopic detection of colorectal cancer cells in vivo...
- Aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-protoporphyrin IX fluorescence guided tumour resection. Part 1: Clinical, radiological and pathological studiesMichael J Colditz
Kenneth G Jamieson Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Herston, Queensland 4029, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 19:1471-4. 2012..The theoretical, biochemical and practical aspects of ALA use are reviewed in Part 2...
- Precise detection of lymph node metastases in mouse rectal cancer by using 5-aminolevulinic acidYasutoshi Murayama
Department of Pathology and Cell Regulation, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Int J Cancer 125:2256-63. 2009..Our aim was to evaluate the diagnostic power of 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) for LN metastasis in mouse rectal cancer...
- 5-aminolevulinic acid-conjugated gold nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy of cancerMaung Kyaw Khaing Oo
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, Castle Point on Hudson, Hoboken, NJ 07030, USA
Nanomedicine (Lond) 3:777-86. 2008..Effective delivery of photosensitizer to target tumor cells that causes minimal damage to healthy cells is an important requirement in photodynamic therapy of cancer...
- Photodynamic therapy: a review of the literature and image documentationMaria Cláudia Almeida Issa
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brasil
An Bras Dermatol 85:501-11. 2010..The most extensively studied photosensitizing agents for PDT are 5-aminolevulinic acid for the treatment of actinic keratosis and methyl-aminolevulinate, which has been approved for the ..
- Photodynamic therapy with BF-200 ALA for the treatment of actinic keratosis: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III studyR M Szeimies
Department of Dermatology, Regensburg University Hospital, Regensburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 163:386-94. 2010..Different strategies are applied to overcome the chemical instability of ALA in solution and to improve skin penetration. A new stable nanoemulsion-based ALA formulation, BF-200 ALA, is currently in clinical development for PDT of AK...
- ALA and malignant glioma: fluorescence-guided resection and photodynamic treatmentHerbert Stepp
Laser Forschungslabor, LIFE Center, University Clinic Munich Grosshadern, Marchioninistr 23, 81377 Munich, Germany
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 26:157-64. 2007Oral application of 20 mg/kg body weight of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) leads to a highly specific accumulation of fluorescent Protoporphyrin IX (PPIX) in malignant glioma tissue...
- Resection of malignant brain tumors in eloquent cortical areas: a new multimodal approach combining 5-aminolevulinic acid and intraoperative monitoringGuenther C Feigl
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tuebingen Medical Center, Tuebingen, Germany
J Neurosurg 113:352-7. 2010..Interestingly, 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) has been shown to help visualize tumor tissue intraoperatively and, thus, can significantly improve ..
- Efficacy of a methyl ester of 5-aminolevulinic acid in photodynamic therapy for ovarian cancersM Wakui
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu cho, Hirosaki, Aomori, 036 8562, Japan
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 136:1143-50. 2010..cancers, the present study was conducted to evaluate the antitumor effect of PDT using a methyl ester of 5-aminolevulinic acid (Methyl-ALA) on various types of human ovarian cancer in a subcutaneous xenograft model in nude mice and to ..
- Photodynamic therapy with BF-200 ALA for the treatment of actinic keratosis: results of a multicentre, randomized, observer-blind phase III study in comparison with a registered methyl-5-aminolaevulinate cream and placeboT Dirschka
Private Dermatological Practice Centre, Wuppertal, Germany
Br J Dermatol 166:137-46. 2012..BF-200 ALA (Biofrontera Bioscience GmbH, Leverkusen, Germany) is a gel formulation of ALA with nanoemulsion for the treatment of AK which overcomes previous problems of ALA instability and improves skin penetration...
- Low-intensity ultrasound combined with 5-aminolevulinic acid administration in the treatment of human tongue squamous carcinomaYanhong Lv
Department of Anatomy, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, P R China
Cell Physiol Biochem 30:321-33. 2012..6 and 0.8 W/cm(2), plus 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)...
- ALA and Photofrin fluorescence-guided resection and repetitive PDT in glioblastoma multiforme: a single centre Phase III randomised controlled trialM Sam Eljamel
The Scottish Photodynamic Therapy Centre, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Lasers Med Sci 23:361-7. 2008..A multicentre randomized controlled trial is warranted to confirm these results...
- Kinetics and subcellular localization of 5-ALA-induced PpIX in DHL cells via two-photon excitation fluorescence microscopyRong Chen
Key Laboratory of Optoelectronic Science and Technology for Medicine, Ministry of Education, Fujian Normal University, Fuzhou, Fujian 350007, PR China
Int J Oncol 32:861-7. 2008Two-photon excitation fluorescence (TPEF) microscopy was used to measure the 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)-induced PpIX fluorescence in follicular lymphoma DHL cells...
- Folic acid-conjugated chitosan nanoparticles enhanced protoporphyrin IX accumulation in colorectal cancer cellsShu Jyuan Yang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine and College of Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10051, Taiwan
Bioconjug Chem 21:679-89. 2010..Therefore, the folic acid-chitosan conjugate appears to be an ideal vector for colorectal-specific delivery of 5-ALA for fluorescent endoscopic detection...
- Biomodulatory approaches to photodynamic therapy for solid tumorsSanjay Anand
Department of Dermatology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Cancer Lett 326:8-16. 2012..An emerging biomodulatory approach, using methotrexate or Vitamin D in combination with aminolevulinate-based PDT, is described. Finally, current clinical uses of PDT for solid malignancies are reviewed...
- Intraoperative confocal microscopy in the visualization of 5-aminolevulinic acid fluorescence in low-grade gliomasNader Sanai
Barrow Brain Tumor Research Center, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Neurosurg 115:740-8. 2011..Although 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)-induced tumor fluorescence is a strategy that can improve EOR in gliomas, only glioblastomas ..
- Intraoperative fluorescence-guided resection of high-grade malignant gliomas using 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced porphyrins: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studiesShiguang Zhao
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
PLoS ONE 8:e63682. 2013We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis to address the (added) value of intraoperative 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)-guided resection of high-grade malignant gliomas compared with conventional neuronavigation-guided resection, ..
- Detection of metastatic lymph nodes using 5-aminolevulinic acid in patients with gastric cancerNoriaki Koizumi
Department of Pathology and Cell Regulation, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 20:3541-8. 2013..In this study, we focused on a known photosensitizer, 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA), and examined the feasibility of 5-ALA-induced protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) fluorescence to detect ..
- Synergistic increase in osteosarcoma cell sensitivity to photodynamic therapy with aminolevulinic acid hexyl ester in the presence of hyperthermiaShigeaki Yanase
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Division of Reparative and Regenerative Medicine, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu, Mie, Japan
Photomed Laser Surg 27:791-7. 2009..from the same tumor displayed marked differences in their sensitivities to photodynamic therapy (PDT) with aminolevulinic acid hexyl ester (hALA-PDT)...
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX fluorescence as immediate intraoperative indicator to improve the safety of malignant or high-grade brain tumor diagnosis in frameless stereotactic biopsiesGord von Campe
Universitätsklinik für Neurochirurgie, Medizinische Universitat Graz, Austria
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154:585-8; discussion 588. 2012..In order to avoid a sampling bias or negative histology, multiple specimens are often taken. This in turn increases the risk of hemorrhagic complications...
- Optimization of photodynamic therapy with a novel self-adhesive 5-aminolaevulinic acid patch: results of two randomized controlled phase III studiesA Hauschild
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology, University of Kiel, Schittenhelmstr 7, D 24105 Kiel, Germany
Br J Dermatol 160:1066-74. 2009..Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is increasingly used for treatment of actinic keratoses (AKs) but is a cumbersome procedure. A thin self-adhesive patch (PD P 506 A) containing 5-aminolaevulinic acid (5-ALA) was developed to facilitate PDT...
- Strong 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced fluorescence is a novel intraoperative marker for representative tissue samples in stereotactic brain tumor biopsiesGeorg Widhalm
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Neurosurg Rev 35:381-91; discussion 391. 2012..Five-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) has been shown to accumulate in malignant tumor tissue...
- Staging fluorescence laparoscopy for gastric cancer by using 5-aminolevulinic acidYasutoshi Murayama
Department of Surgery, Division of Digestive Surgery, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine Graduate School of Medical Science, 465 Kajii cho Hirokoji Kawaramachi, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Anticancer Res 32:5421-7. 2012Precise staging of gastric cancer is essential when selecting for the appropriate treatment approach. 5-Aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) is metabolized and accumulated as protoporphyrin IX (PpIX), which is a photosensitizer...
- Photodynamic diagnosis of prostate cancer using 5-aminolevulinic acid--first clinical experiencesDirk Zaak
Department of Urology, University of Munich, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Urology 72:345-8. 2008..To study the feasibility of 5-aminolevulinic-acid (5-ALA)-induced photodynamic diagnosis (PDD) for the evaluation of the surgical margins (SMs) during radical prostatectomy (RP) in patients with prostate cancer (PCa)...
- Macromolecular delivery of 5-aminolaevulinic acid for photodynamic therapy using dendrimer conjugatesSinan Battah
National Medical Laser Centre, University College London, Charles Bell House, 67 73 Riding House Street, London W1W 7EJ, United Kingdom
Mol Cancer Ther 6:876-85. 2007..In conclusion, macromolecular dendritic derivatives are capable of delivering 5-ALA efficiently to cells for sustained porphyrin synthesis...
- Randomized, double-blind, prospective study to compare topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid methylester with topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid photodynamic therapy for extensive scalp actinic keratosisF J Moloney
City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital, Dublin 2, Ireland
Br J Dermatol 157:87-91. 2007..While MAL is significantly more expensive than ALA, no studies have directly compared their efficacy in the treatment of extensive scalp AK...
- Successful treatment of oral verrucous hyperplasia with topical 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapyHsin Ming Chen
School of Dentistry, National Taiwan University Hospital, National Taiwan University, 1 Chang Te Street, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Oral Oncol 40:630-7. 2004Previous studies have shown a selective accumulation of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-derived protoporphrin IX (PpIX) in oral premalignant and malignant tissues...
- Role of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) on active oxygen-scavenging system in NaCl-treated spinach (Spinacia oleracea)Eiji Nishihara
Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University, 401 1 Koyama Minami, Tottori, Tottori 680 8553, Japan
J Plant Physiol 160:1085-91. 2003..18, 0.60 and 1.80 mmol/L 5-aminolevulinic acid under 50 and 100 mmol/L NaCl were analyzed. Plants treated with 0.60 and 1...
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid ameliorates cadmium-induced morphological, biochemical, and ultrastructural changes in seedlings of oilseed rapeBasharat Ali
Institute of Crop Science and Zhejiang Key Laboratory of Crop Germplasm, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310058, China
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 20:7256-67. 2013..The present study evaluates the ameliorate effects of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA, 0, 0.4, 2, and 10 mg/l) on the growth of oilseed rape (B. napus L. cv...
- Noninvasive fluorescence excitation spectroscopy during application of 5-aminolevulinic acid in vivoPetras Juzenas
Department of Biophysics, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Photochem Photobiol Sci 1:745-8. 2002The fluorescence of PpIX induced by topical application of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) in normal mouse skin was studied noninvasively by means of a fibre optic probe...
- The influence of iron chelators on the accumulation of protoporphyrin IX in 5-aminolaevulinic acid-treated cellsK Berg
Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Biophysics, Montebello, Norway
Br J Cancer 74:688-97. 1996..The ferrochelatase inhibitor dihydropyridine 3,5-diethoxycarbonyl-1,4-dihydrocollidine reduced the accumulation of PpIX in both cell lines...
- Finding the anaplastic focus in diffuse gliomas: the value of Gd-DTPA enhanced MRI, FET-PET, and intraoperative, ALA-derived tissue fluorescenceChristian Ewelt
Department of Neurosurgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 113:541-7. 2011..The relationship between these modalities and their value for guiding biopsies during resection has not yet been elucidated in the group of diffuse gliomas...
- Effect of surfactant on 5-aminolevulinic acid uptake and PpIX generation in human cholangiocarcinoma cellChung Wook Chung
Research Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 80:453-8. 2012..PDT was shown to improve the median survival time of advanced-stage patients. Recently, 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has been used as a pro-photosensitizer, which can be transferred to intercellular protoporphyrin IX (..
- Heat-shock protein 70-dependent dendritic cell activation by 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic treatment of human glioblastoma spheroids in vitroN Etminan
Department of Neurosurgery, Heinrich Heine University Hospital, Bldg 13 71, Moorenstrasse 5, Dusseldorf 40225, Germany
Br J Cancer 105:961-9. 2011..Here, we have studied the effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-mediated PDT on DCs in vitro in a human spheroid model of glioblastoma (GB).
- δ-aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX concentration correlates with histopathologic markers of malignancy in human gliomas: the need for quantitative fluorescence-guided resection to identify regions of increasing malignancyPablo A Valdes
Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:846-56. 2011..In this study we evaluate whether quantitative ex vivo tissue measurements of δ-aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) identify regions of increasing malignancy in low- and high-grade gliomas ..
- Effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid-based photodynamic therapy via reactive oxygen species in human cholangiocarcinoma cellsCy Hyun Kim
National Research and Development Center for Hepatobiliary Cancer, Research Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Republic of Korea
Int J Nanomedicine 6:1357-63. 2011..exhibit an enhanced capacity for protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) synthesis facilitated by the administration of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)...
- Counterbalancing risks and gains from extended resections in malignant glioma surgery: a supplemental analysis from the randomized 5-aminolevulinic acid glioma resection study. Clinical articleWalter Stummer
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Munster, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Neurosurg 114:613-23. 2011..However, extended surgery may increase morbidity. The randomized Phase III 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) study investigated 5-ALA-induced fluorescence as a tool for improving resections...
- Detection and clinical outcome of urinary bladder cancer with 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced fluorescence cystoscopy : A multicenter randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialArnulf Stenzl
Medical Center of Eberhard Karls University, Department of Urology, Tubingen, Germany
Cancer 117:938-47. 2011The medical community lacks results from prospective controlled multicenter studies of the diagnostic efficacy of 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) cystoscopy on tumor recurrence in patients with superficial bladder tumors.
- An Arabidopsis GluTR binding protein mediates spatial separation of 5-aminolevulinic acid synthesis in chloroplastsOlaf Czarnecki
Department of Plant Physiology, Institute of Biology, Humboldt University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Plant Cell 23:4476-91. 20115-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) is the universal precursor for tetrapyrrole biosynthesis and is synthesized in plants in three enzymatic steps: ligation of glutamate (Glu) to tRNA(Glu) by glutamyl-tRNA synthetase, reduction of activated Glu ..
- 5-Aminolaevulinic acid methyl ester transport on amino acid carriers in a human colon adenocarcinoma cell lineO A Gederaas
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Medical Faculty, Norwegain University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Photochem Photobiol 73:164-9. 2001The transport mechanisms of 5-aminolevulinic acid methyl ester (5-ALA-ME) have been studied in a human adenocarcinoma cell line (WiDr) by means of 14[C]-labeled 5-ALA-ME...
- Fluorescence and image guided resection in high grade gliomaPier Paolo Panciani
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin, Via Cherasco 15 10126 Torino, Italy
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 114:37-41. 2012..Thus, the use of auxiliary techniques should always be subject to critical skills of the surgeon. We advocate a large-scale study to further improve the assessment of multimodal approaches...
- Endoscopic detection of transitional cell carcinoma with 5-aminolevulinic acid: results of 1012 fluorescence endoscopiesD Zaak
Department of Urology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany
Urology 57:690-4. 2001OBJECTIVES: The initial encouraging results using 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) induced fluorescence endoscopy (AFE) have promised a procedure with an outstanding sensitivity for the detection of early stage bladder cancer...
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid-based photodynamic detection and therapy of brain tumors (review)Scott A Friesen
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital and Institute for Cancer Research, University of Oslo, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, Norway
Int J Oncol 21:577-82. 2002..The utility of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has been recognized in many different treatment fields over the past decade...
- Treatment with 5-aminolaevulinic acid methylester is less painful than treatment with 5-aminolaevulinic acid nanoemulsion in topical photodynamic therapy for actinic keratosisPatrick Gholam
Department of Dermatology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Dermatology 222:358-62. 2011..Topical photodynamic therapy (PDT) is an excellent treatment option for actinic keratosis (AK). Pain is one of the major adverse effects...
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin-IX accumulation and associated phototoxicity in macrophages and oral cancer cell linesSulbha Sharma
Laser Biomedical Applications and Instrumentation Division, Raja Ramanna Center for Advanced Technology, R and D BLOCK D, Indore 452 013, India
J Photochem Photobiol B 88:156-62. 2007Studies were carried out on 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-induced protoporphyrin (PpIX) synthesis in mice peritoneal macrophages and two human oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) cell lines NT8e and 4451...
- Subcellular localization of Photofrin and aminolevulinic acid and photodynamic cross-resistance in vitro in radiation-induced fibrosarcoma cells sensitive or resistant to photofrin-mediated photodynamic therapyB C Wilson
Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Photochem Photobiol 65:166-76. 1997The subcellular and, specifically, mitochondrial localization of the photodynamic sensitizers Photofrin and aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-induced protoporphyrin-IX (PpIX) has been investigated in vitro in radiation-induced fibrosarcoma (RIF) ..
- Use of 5-aminolevulinic acid for the confirmation of deep-seated brain tumors during stereotactic biopsy. Report of 2 casesShusuke Moriuchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Rinku General Medical Center, Izumisano, Osaka, Japan
J Neurosurg 115:278-80. 20115-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has been successfully used to confirm the target tumor tissues obtained during stereotactic biopsy...
- Photodynamic Therapy of oral dysplasia with topical 5-aminolevulinic acid and light-emitting diode arrayJui Chang Tsai
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, No 1 Jen Ai Road, Section 1st, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Lasers Surg Med 34:18-24. 2004..We developed a light-emitting diode (LED) array combined with topical 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) for photodynamic therapy (PDT) and evaluated its effectiveness for the treatment of oral lesions.
- Aminolevulinic acid-photodynamic therapy combined with topically applied vascular disrupting agent vadimezan leads to enhanced antitumor responsesALLISON MARRERO
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Cancer Therapeutics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
Photochem Photobiol 87:910-9. 2011..Colon26 murine colon adenocarcinoma tumors to PDT using the locally applied photosensitizer precursor aminolevulinic acid (ALA) in combination with a topical formulation of vadimezan...
- Serum-dependent export of protoporphyrin IX by ATP-binding cassette transporter G2 in T24 cellsTetsuya Ogino
Department of Pathology and Experimental Medicine, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Mol Cell Biochem 358:297-307. 2011Accumulation of protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) in cancer cells is a basis of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-induced photodymanic therapy...
- Protoporphyrin IX production and its photodynamic effects on glioma cells, neuroblastoma cells and normal cerebellar granule cells in vitro with 5-aminolevulinic acid and its hexylesterS M Wu
Department of Physics, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
Cancer Lett 200:123-31. 20035-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has shown promising in photodynamic detection and therapy of brain tumor. However, the knowledge on selective accumulation of ALA-induced protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) in brain tumor tissue is still fragment...
- Photodynamic therapy of multiple actinic keratoses: reduced pain through use of visible light plus water-filtered infrared A compared with light from light-emitting diodesV von Felbert
Department of Dermatology, RWTH Aachen University, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 163:607-15. 2010..Photodynamic therapy (PDT) with methyl aminolaevulinate (MAL) is an effective treatment for multiple actinic keratoses (AKs). Pain, however, is a major side-effect...
- delta-Aminolevulinic acid dehydratase activity, urinary delta-aminolevulinic acid concentration and zinc protoporphyrin level among people with low level of lead exposureQi Wang
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, No 13 Hangkong Road, Wuhan 430030, People s Republic of China
Int J Hyg Environ Health 213:52-8. 2010To evaluate the relationship of delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) activity, urinary delta-aminolevulinic acid (ALAU) level and blood zinc protoporphyrin (ZPP) concentration to low blood lead (PbB) levels, these biomarkers were ..
- High and sustained efficacy after two sessions of topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid photodynamic therapy for basal cell carcinoma: a prospective, clinical and histological 10-year follow-up studyE Christensen
Department of Dermatology, St Olav s University Hospital HF, Institute of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Br J Dermatol 166:1342-8. 2012..Prolonged follow-up data on topical photodynamic therapy (PDT) in basal cell carcinoma (BCC) are necessary for a full evaluation of its effect and for comparison with conventional treatment methods...
- Poly(L-histidine)-tagged 5-aminolevulinic acid prodrugs: new photosensitizing precursors of protoporphyrin IX for photodynamic colon cancer therapyRenjith P Johnson
WCU Centre for Synthetic Polymer Bioconjugate Hybrid Materials, Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea
Int J Nanomedicine 7:2497-512. 20125-Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) and its derivatives have been widely used in photodynamic therapy...
- Porphobilinogen deaminase deficiency in mice causes a neuropathy resembling that of human hepatic porphyriaR L Lindberg
Department of Pharmacology, University of Basel, Switzerland
Nat Genet 12:195-9. 1996..typical biochemical characteristics of human AIP, notably, decreased hepatic Pbgd activity, increased delta-aminolevulinic acid synthase activity and massively increased urinary excretion of the heme precursor, delta-aminolevulinic ..
- Porphyrin metabolism in some malignant diseasesM M el Sharabasy
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Mansoura University, Egypt
Br J Cancer 65:409-12. 1992..C. 184.108.40.206) was highly significantly activated in the blood of children, while the activities of blood 5-aminolevulinic acid dehydrase (E.C. 220.127.116.11) and ferrochelatase (E.C. 18.104.22.168...
- The outcome of 5-ALA-mediated photodynamic treatment in melanoma cells is influenced by vitamin C and heme oxygenase-1Stefanie Grimm
Institute of Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Dornburger Strasse 24, Jena, Germany
Biofactors 37:17-24. 2011..However, further studies are necessary to investigate more antioxidants and other substances, which might affect the outcome of photodynamic treatment in cancer therapy...
- Fluorescence-guided resection of metastatic brain tumors using a 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX: pathological studySatoshi Utsuki
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Brain Tumor Pathol 24:53-5. 2007..Patients with metastatic brain tumors (n = 11) received 1 g of 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) perorally 2 h before undergoing surgery...
- Mechanism of cell death by 5-aminolevulinic acid-based photodynamic action and its enhancement by ferrochelatase inhibitors in human histiocytic lymphoma cell line U937Takashi Amo
Department of Cytology and Histology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Cell Biochem Funct 27:503-15. 2009..However, the molecular mechanism of cell death caused by PDT has not been fully elucidated. The 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-based photodynamic action (PDA) was dependent on the accumulation of PpIX, the level of which ..
- Fluorescence spectroscopy combined with 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX fluorescence in detecting oral premalignancyA Sharwani
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Healthcare Sciences, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, United Kingdom
J Photochem Photobiol B 83:27-33. 2006..This procedure depends mainly on comparing the intensity of red and green fluorescence emitted from tissues during examination...
- Enhancement of 5-Aminolevulinic acid-induced oxidative stress on two cancer cell lines by gold nanoparticlesShinji Ito
Radiation Biology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1002, USA
Free Radic Res 43:1214-24. 20095-Aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) and its methyl ester (5-ALA-Me) at mM concentration levels induce oxidative stress via the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS)...
- Antitumor effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapy can be enhanced by the use of a low dose of photofrin in human tumor xenograftsQ Peng
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Institute for Cancer Research, University of Oslo, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, Norway
Cancer Res 61:5824-32. 2001..Porphyrins synthesized endogenously from 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) accumulate within cells...
- Peptide transporter 2 (PEPT2) expression in brain protects against 5-aminolevulinic acid neurotoxicityYongjun Hu
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Upjohn Center for Clinical Pharmacology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Neurochem 103:2058-65. 2007..In this study, we report a neuroprotective role for PEPT2 in modulating the toxicity of a heme precursor, 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA)...
- Prenatal exposure to lead, delta-aminolevulinic acid, and schizophrenia: further evidenceMark G A Opler
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1586-90. 2008A previously conducted study of prenatal lead exposure and schizophrenia using delta-aminolevulinic acid, a biologic marker of Pb exposure, in archived maternal serum samples collected from subjects enrolled in the Childhood Health and ..
- Parasiticidal effect of delta-aminolevulinic acid-based photodynamic therapy for cutaneous leishmaniasis is indirect and mediated through the killing of the host cellsOleg E Akilov
Department of Dermatology, Harvard Medical School, Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Exp Dermatol 16:651-60. 2007Several clinical reports have shown promising, but not optimal, results from photodynamic therapy with delta-aminolevulinic acid-derived protoporphyrin IX, termed ALA-PDT, as a treatment for cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL)...
- Five-aminolevulinic acid for fluorescence-guided resection of recurrent malignant gliomas: a phase ii studyArya Nabavi
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Neurosurgery 65:1070-6; discussion 1076-7. 2009To assess the feasibility of 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) fluorescence guidance for resection of recurrent malignant brain tumors.
- Role of PEPT2 in the choroid plexus uptake of glycylsarcosine and 5-aminolevulinic acid: studies in wild-type and null miceScott M Ocheltree
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Pharm Res 21:1680-5. 2004To determine the importance of PEPT2 in the uptake of glycylsarcosine (GlySar) and 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) in mouse choroid plexus whole tissue.
- Differentiation-dependent photodynamic therapy regulated by porphobilinogen deaminase in B16 melanomaD Ickowicz Schwartz
Faculty of Life Science, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Br J Cancer 90:1833-41. 2004..cells is clinically exploited for photodiagnosis and photodynamic therapy following administration of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)...
- Stratum corneum lipids liposomes for the topical delivery of 5-aminolevulinic acid in photodynamic therapy of skin cancer: preparation and in vitro permeation studyM B Pierre
Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av do Cafe S N, CEP 14040 903, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
BMC Dermatol 1:5. 2001Photodynamic therapy (PDT) using 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) is a skin cancer therapy that still has limitations due to the low penetration of this drug into the skin...
- ALA and its clinical impact, from bench to bedsideBarbara Krammer
University of Salzburg, Department of Molecular Biology, Austria
Photochem Photobiol Sci 7:283-9. 2008..Pharmacokinetical studies have demonstrated a low systemic photosensitivity and excretion of PpIX via natural routes...
- Laparoscopic fluorescence diagnosis for intraabdominal fluorescence targeting of peritoneal carcinosis experimental studiesJohannes Gahlen
Department of Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Surg 235:252-60. 2002To assess 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-induced protoporphyrin IX accumulation and fluorescence in peritoneal colon carcinoma metastases and its benefits for laparoscopic fluorescence diagnosis.
- Subcellular localization pattern of protoporphyrin IX is an important determinant for its photodynamic efficiency of human carcinoma and normal cell linesZhenyu Ji
Department of Pathology, The National Hospital Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, Norway
J Photochem Photobiol B 84:213-20. 2006..investigation, protoporphyrin IX (PpIX), an efficient photosensitizer either endogenously induced by 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) or exogenously administered, was used to correlate its subcellular localization pattern with ..
- Pretreatment to enhance protoporphyrin IX accumulation in photodynamic therapyM J P Gerritsen
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Dermatology 218:193-202. 2009..In conclusion, simple pretreatments or additions to the regular practice of PDT, aimed to optimize intralesional PpIX content, improve the clinical outcome...
- Fractional laser as a tool to enhance the skin permeation of 5-aminolevulinic acid with minimal skin disruption: a comparison with conventional erbium:YAG laserWoan Ruoh Lee
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
J Control Release 145:124-33. 2010..examine the in vitro skin delivery and in vivo protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) accumulation of topically applied 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) enhanced by a fractional laser pretreatment...
- A clinical study comparing methyl aminolevulinate photodynamic therapy and surgery in small superficial basal cell carcinoma (8-20 mm), with a 12-month follow-upR M Szeimies
Klinikum der Universitat, Regensburg, Germany
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:1302-11. 2008..To compare the efficacy and cosmetic outcome (CO) of photodynamic therapy with topical methyl aminolevulinate (MAL-PDT) with simple excision surgery for superficial basal cell carcinoma (sBCC) over a 1-year period...
- Anticancer effect of photodynamic therapy with hexenyl ester of 5-aminolevulinic acid in oral squamous cell carcinomaYeon Hee Moon
Department of Pathology, School of Dentistry, Chosun University, Gwangju 501 759, Korea
Head Neck 32:1136-42. 2010..In this study, the effect of photodynamic therapy (PDT) with hexenyl ester of ALA (ALA-hx) was examined in a human oral squamous cell carcinoma, YD10B cells...
- Silencing of human ferrochelatase causes abundant protoporphyrin-IX accumulation in colon cancerWolfgang Kemmner
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Roessle Str 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
FASEB J 22:500-9. 2008..Furthermore, accumulation of intracellular PpIX because of FECH siRNA silencing provides a small-molecule-based approach to molecular imaging and molecular therapy...
- Topical 5-ALA photodynamic therapy for the treatment of cutaneous T-cell lymphomaJ A Leman
University Department of Dermatology, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 27:516-8. 2002..Treatment was repeated on four occasions with clinical and histological clearance. ALA-PDT may be a useful addition to the therapeutic options for CTCL. Further studies are required to define optimal treatment protocols...
- Clearance of a thick invasive squamous cell carcinoma after multiple treatments with topical photodynamic therapyQiang Li
Department of Dermatology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Photomed Laser Surg 28:703-6. 2010..We report an unusual outgrowing SCC with a tumor depth of 5.5 mm, which was successfully treated with PDT...
- Fluorescence staining of human ovarian cancer tissue following application of 5-aminolevulinic acid: fluorescence microscopy studiesMartin C Löning
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 38:549-54. 2006Application of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) for fluorescence-guided second-look laparoscopy has been shown to be a promising new procedure in the early diagnosis of ovarian carcinoma metastases...
- Iron, NO, and Lipid Peroxide in Photodynamic TherapyALBERT GIROTTI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using in vitro models of 5- aminolevulinic acid (ALA)-based PDT and chemical NO donors, we have shown that NO can protect tumor cells against necrotic ..
- PULMONARY VASODILATION AND GUANYLATE CYCLASE REGULATIONMichael S Wolin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 3 studies examine how the control of heme biosynthesis by aminolevulinic acid (ALA) generating protoporphyrin IX, and heme metabolism by heme oxygenase (HO) regulate the activity of sGC ..
- Molecular Genetics of Sideroblastic AnemiaMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinically very similar to X-linked sideroblastic anemia due to mutations in the heme synthesis enzyme 5- aminolevulinic acid (ALA) synthase...
- Acute Hepatic Porphyrias: Pathogenesis &TreatmentMakiko Yasuda; Fiscal Year: 2013..clear the circulating porphyrin precursors and whether the clearance also down-regulates hepatic 5'- aminolevulinic acid synthase 1 (ALAS1) activity...
- Combination Therapy With 5-FU and PDT For The Treatment Of Post-Transplant PremalEdward V Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a modality that combines topical prodrugs, either aminolevulinic acid (ALA) or its methyl ester (mALA), which are selectively taken up by tumor cells and metabolically converted ..
- Human PBGS Quaternary Structure Dynamics, Drugs, and Half-of-the-sites ReactivityEileen K Jaffe; Fiscal Year: 2012..Inactivation of human PBGS is involved in the human conditions of ALAD porphyria and lead poisoning, the latter of which remains a pervasive public health problem in the United States and around the world. ..
- Injectable reporters to image tumors and guide resectionRoger Y Tsien; Fiscal Year: 2013..genetically perfectly labeling, whether PDT helps, how well can current injectable agents monitor recurrence, and what materials or procedures most need improvement. ..
- Transcriptional Control of Hemoglobin SynthesisEmery H Bresnick; Fiscal Year: 2013..coregulators to expel globin genes and the gene encoding a rate-limiting enzyme in heme biosynthesis, 4- aminolevulinic acid synthase (Alas2), from the nuclear periphery...
- Therapeutics of XIAP Degradation by Zinc ChelatorsVladimir M Kolenko; Fiscal Year: 2013..the intracellular accumulation of protoporphyrin IX after exogenous administration of its precursor, 5-aminolevulinic acid, coincides with reduced XIAP expression in PC-3 prostate cancer cells and an increased sensitivity to TRAIL-..
- The role of GABA-mimetic metabolites in neurodevelopmental and neuropsychiatric dJoseph A Gogos; Fiscal Year: 2013..proline-like" metabolites that are known to accumulate in two other human neuropsychiatric diseases: -aminolevulinic acid, which accumulates in acute intermittent porphyria, a disease associated with psychosis and seizures, and L-..
- Role and Relevance of Pept1 in Drug Absorption, Disposition, and DynamicsDavid E Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., 5-aminolevulinic acid). However, other members of the POT family (i.e...
- Mechanisms of adverse effects of anti-tuberculosis drugsXiaochao Ma; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our working hypothesis is that human PXR-mediated up-regulation of aminolevulinic acid synthase 1, the rate-limiting enzyme in porphyrin synthesis in liver, is critical in the hepatotoxicity ..
- Molecular Mechanisms Underlying Glioma Invasion of the Human Subventricular ZoneNader Sanai; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using a glioma cell labeling agent, 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA), that is administered to patients prior to tumor resection, we have determined that the human SVZ ..
- Oxygen and photosensitizer levels in photodynamic therapy of head and neck tumorsTheresa M Busch; Fiscal Year: 2013..outcome? Question 3B: Are macroscopic heterogeneities in oxygen and photosensitizer levels measures of underlying microscopic heterogeneities? Question 3C: How are distributions of oxygen and photosensitizer spatially related? ..
- MULTIPLEX ANALYSIS OF INBORN ERRORS OF METABOLISMFrantisek Turecek; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also proposed is a continuation of studies of porphyria-linked enzymes aminolevulinic acid dehydratase, porphobilinogen oxidase, and ferrochelatase to develop a complete battery of assays for ..
- Molecular Target Variation Across Environments and at Margins of GlioblastomaCONSTANTINOS GEORGE HADJIPANAYIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..We initiated a Phase II clinical tria of 5-Aminolevulinic Acid (5-ALA), a fluorescent compound that accumulates in glioma cells, thereby enhancing visualization and ..
- MODULATION OF IRON METABOLISM BY BIOACTIVE MOLECULESKenneth Bridges; Fiscal Year: 2000..The central role of IRP1 in the metabolism of the transferrin receptor and the erythroid form of delta-aminolevulinic acid synthase raises the possibility of a role of ascorbic acid in these proteins as well...
- SEMEN AS A BIOMARKER OF EFFECT AMONG LEAD EXPOSED MENHarvey Checkoway; Fiscal Year: 1993..Acute lead exposure will be determined by blood lead and delta-aminolevulinic acid levels, and chronic lead exposure by urinary coproporphyrin excretion profiles...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF MG-TETRAPYRROLE BIOSYNTHESISCarl Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2005..It should also not be overlooked that tetrapyrrole driven photosynthesis is the primary route of capturing and supplying energy to living cells and, consequently, it is the most important source of energy in our technological world. ..
- UROPORPHYRINOGEN DECARBOXYLASE KNOCKOUT MOUSERICHARD LAMBRECHT; Fiscal Year: 2001..activities, and 2) increased uroporphyrin accumulation after exposure to the porphyrin precursor, delta-aminolevulinic acid. UROD 'knockout' mouse lines will be established by microinjecting ES cells with the defective UROD gene ..
- 5-Aminolevulinate Synthase and Heme BiosynthesisGloria Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- INDUCTION OF AMINOLEVULINIC ACID SYNTHASE BY EXERCISEDavid Essig; Fiscal Year: 1993..Regularly performed endurance training results in a two-fold greater density of skeletal muscle mitochondria. Aminolevulinic acid synthase (AS), the rate limiting enzyme in heme biosynthesis, is increased two-fold in skeletal muscle ..
- PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY OF MAMMARY TUMORSRussell Hilf; Fiscal Year: 1999..These models will be used to investigate, and then increase, the efficacy of delta- aminolevulinic acid (delta-ALA) induced photosensitization, a conceptually different approach to PDT...
- SPECTROSCOPIC PROBES OF LEAD/PROTEIN INTERACTIONSHILARY GODWIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..have pinpointed two proteins that are likely targets for lead in vivo: synaptotagmin (Syt) and delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD)...
- OXYGEN DOSIMETRY IN PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPYBrian Pogue; Fiscal Year: 2001..relevant photosensitizers will be examined in this study: (1) benzoporphyrin derivative (BPD), (2) 5-delta-aminolevulinic acid induced protoporpyrin-IX (ALA), and (3) 5-ethylamino-9-diethylaminobenzo[a] phenothiazinium chloride (EtNBS)..
- OPTICAL SENSOR FOR PHOTODYNAMIC DIAGNOSIS OF ORAL CANCERAllan Wang; Fiscal Year: 2000..near- infrared laser in combination with fiberoptic sensing technology to excite the photosensitizer 5-aminolevulinic acid. As a result, higher fluorescence intensity is emitted from cancerous tissue than from healthy tissue...
- FIBER OPTIC FLUORESCENCE DETECTOR FOR PHOTOSENSITIZERGregory Burke; Fiscal Year: 2003..measure either porphyrin-based or phthalocyanine-based photosensitizers, and will specifically be tested in aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX (ALA - PpIX), Photofrin and aluminum disuiphonated phthalocynanine...
- FIRST STEP OF HEME BIOSYNTHESIS IN MAMMALSGloria Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2000..rate limiting step in heme biosynthesis, the PLP-dependent reaction of glycine and succinyl-CoA to yield aminolevulinic acid, CoA and CO2...
- FLUORESCENCE BASED DETECTION AND DIAGNOSIS OF MALIGNANCYPetra Wilder Smith; Fiscal Year: 2001..Based on laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) techniques for characterization of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)- induced protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) fluorescence and of endogenous fluorescence, the proposed approach ..
- TOPICAL DELIVERY OF AMINOLEVULINIC ACID IN PDT FOR BASALKenneth Norbury; Fiscal Year: 2000..The financial and health related costs of BCC can only rise as worldwide incidence continues to increase. ..
- MECHANISM OF PORPHYRIA CAUSED BY TCDDPeter Sinclair; Fiscal Year: 2002..II. To determine whether human CYP1A2 has an essential role in UROgen oxidation and the development of uroporphyria. III. To study the interaction of Fe and CYP1A2 in the development of uroporphyria. ..
- Environmental & Genetic Risk Factors for Renal FunctionVirginia Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe the proposed work will allow a more complete understanding of the causes of renal function decline and lead to the development of public health interventions to prevent this considerable public health problem. ..
- Spectral-Encoding for Video-Rate Hemodynamic TomographyBrian Pogue; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- IRRADIANCE AND PHOTOBLEACHING METRICS IN ALA PDTAllan Oseroff; Fiscal Year: 2002..3. Determine the irradiance-dependent formation of photoproducts or other endogenous photosensitizers, the changes in hemoglobin oxygenation, and the alterations in tissue optical properties. ..
- Regulation of Skeletal Muscle LKB1WILLIAM WINDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies will provide additional rationale for convincing a predominantly sedentary population of the importance of regular exercise in combating inactivity-related diseases. ..
- Attention in Children with the 22q11 Deletion SyndromeChristina Sobin; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Physiology of Malonyl-CoA in Muscle during ExerciseWILLIAM WINDER; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will provide additional rationale for the use of regular exercise in preventing and treating type 2 diabetes and obesity. ..
- FGF, PTHRP, AND MATRIX SULFATION IN CHONDRODYSPLASIAKaechoong Lee; Fiscal Year: 2001..It may also point to ways in which such loss of control can be overcome, and so could potentially indicate new treatment strategies. ..
- C/EDB BETA AND CHOP IN EPIDERMAL DIFFERENTIATIONEdward Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Gordon Research Conference on TetrapyrrolesGloria Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2002..Strengths of this ongoing Gordon conference are its disciplinary diversity, focus on new unpublished work, time for discussion, informal atmosphere, and ban on dissemination of conference proceeding. ..
- GENETICS AND DEVELOPMENT OF ERYTHROID HEME ENZYMESShigeru Sassa; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will hopefully clarify the role of ALAS2 and transcription factors such as NF-E2 and Bach1 in erythroid differentiation, and shed light on the distinct aspects of erythroid heme synthesis. ..
- LASER PHOTORADIATION THERAPY OF MALIGNANT TUMORSMichael Berns; Fiscal Year: 2002..Response will be evaluated at 3 month intervals for up to one year post treatment. ..
- INTEGRATED PLATFORM FOR CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF LIVE CELLSMichael Berns; Fiscal Year: 2001..The achievement of the technological objectives interfaced into one platform will provide an enabling technology with a wide variety of applications in molecular medicine and biomedical research. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL PHOTOIMMUNOTHERAPY OF OVARIAN CANCERTayyaba Hasan; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is expected that these studies will provide a measure of the efficacy of Lp. PIT in comparison with standard PDT and C225 immunotherapy and form the basis of clinical protocols in the future. ..
- ENHANCEMENT OF PDT USING BIOLOGICAL RESPONSE MODIFIERSDavid A Bellnier; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Photodestruction of Ovarian Cancer: ErbB3 Targeted Aptamer Nanoparticle ConjugateTayyaba Hasan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Characterization of p53R2 in Head and Neck CaStuart Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will identify and characterize the frequency of p53R2 gene SNPs in HNSCC patients and test the hypothesis that p53R2 gene SNPs predict adverse normal tissue radiation effects in HNSCC patients treated with radiation. ..
- Effects of Arsenic on Cytochromes P450RALPH NICHOLS; Fiscal Year: 2005..3) To investigate, in primary cultures of human and rat hepatocytes, the effect of arsenite on translation of the mRNAs of CYPs 1A1, 3A4 and 3A23. ..
- Dermatomyositis Skin Disease Severity Measure ValidationJOSPEH JORIZZO; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ENZYME DEFECTS IN DISORDERS OF PROTOPORPHYRIN METABOLISMJoseph Bloomer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposal thus is designed to define a critical relationship between FECH gene expression and phenotype in EPP which will lead to better genetic counseling and therapy. ..
- Vascular Function in SOD2-deficient MiceJon Andresen; Fiscal Year: 2003..The location and relative levels of other reactive oxygen species (ROS) will be estimated using dichlorofluorescin (DCF) fluorescence. ..
- Carbon monoxide in AngII dependent hypertensionKeith Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Objectives: These studies will establish the role of the HO-CO system in the Angll induced hypertension. This knowledge may lead to novel therapeutic strategies for treating hypertension. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PORPHYRIN SYNTHETIC METHODS FOR BIOORGANIC APPLICATIONSJONATHAN LINDSEY; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- HYALURONAN AND EPIDERMAL DIFFERENTIATIONEdward Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Singlet Molecular Oxygen Imaging Sensor for Photodynamic TherapySEONKYUNG LEE; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will be a valuable research tool to develop new, more effective treatments. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Noninvasive Diagnosis of Early Bladder Cancers with Optical Coherence TomographyYingtian Pan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our preliminary results clearly demonstrate the potential value to provide urologists with rapid, noninvasive diagnosis of abnormalities. No other technique offers this potential at present. ..
- Breast Tissue ablation by Conductive HeatingGal Shafirstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..It can also be applied, through further research, to other types of cancers (e.g. lung, kidney, head and neck) that involve surgical resection of solid tumors. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Age, Lead, Exposure, and Neurobehavioral DeclineBrian Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Stable cationic bacteriochlorins for antimicrobial photodynamic therapyJONATHAN LINDSEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..The two best performing bacteriochlorins will then be tested in a mouse model of a potentially lethal wound infection and monitored by bioluminescence imaging. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF HEPATIC HEME METABOLISMHERBERT BONKOVSKY; Fiscal Year: 2009..the molecular mechanisms that mediate heme regulation of ALAS-1 and HO-1 are similar in avian, human, and murine hepatocytes in culture or in intact organisms. ..
- INTEGRATED PLATFORM FOR CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF LIVE CELLSMichael Berns; Fiscal Year: 2003..The achievement of the technological objectives interfaced into one platform will provide an enabling technology with a wide variety of applications in molecular medicine and biomedical research. ..