Genomes and Genes
radioactive water pollutants
Summary: Pollutants, present in water or bodies of water, which exhibit radioactivity.
- Cukrov N, Mlakar M, Cuculić V, Barisic D. Origin and transport of (238)U and (226)Ra in riverine, estuarine and marine sediments of the Krka River, Croatia. J Environ Radioact. 2009;100:497-504 pubmed publisher..238)U and (226)Ra from the phosphate ore discharge in the port of Sibenik did not spread further in estuary, which was also confirmed by (238)U and (226)Ra activities detected in Mytilus sp. mussels' tissue. ..
- Hou X, Aldahan A, Nielsen S, Possnert G, Nies H, Hedfors J. Speciation of 129I and 127I in seawater and implications for sources and transport pathways in the North Sea. Environ Sci Technol. 2007;41:5993-9 pubmed
- Ly S, Lee J, Jung D. Radioactive uranium measurement in vivo using a handheld interfaced analyzer. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2010;29:1025-30 pubmed publisher..007 ng/L. The method was applied to soil of a natural rock in a radioactive mineralogy site. Earthworms that resided at this site were assayed. The method was found to be applicable in biological diagnosis or in real-time in vivo survey. ..
- Varga B, Tarján S, Vajda N. Plutonium isotopes in the Hungarian environment. J Environ Radioact. 2008;99:641-8 pubmed..The isotope ratios 241Pu/239+240Pu prove that the origin of the plutonium in Hungary is the global fallout determined by the atmospheric nuclear weapon tests. ..
- Brandl A, Jimenez A. Statistical criteria to set alarm levels for continuous measurements of ground contamination. Health Phys. 2008;95 Suppl 2:S128-32 pubmed publisher..This paper describes the derivation of these alarm levels and the operational experience gained by detector deployment in the field. ..
- Burnett W, Chanyotha S, Wattayakorn G, Taniguchi M, Umezawa Y, Ishitobi T. Underground sources of nutrient contamination to surface waters in Bangkok, Thailand. Sci Total Environ. 2009;407:3198-207 pubmed publisher..It thus appears very likely that seepage of shallow groundwater is an important pathway for nutrient contamination of the klongs, and thus to the river, and ultimately to the Gulf of Thailand...
- Lerebours A, Gonzalez P, Adam C, Camilleri V, Bourdineaud J, Garnier Laplace J. Comparative analysis of gene expression in brain, liver, skeletal muscles, and gills of zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to environmentally relevant waterborne uranium concentrations. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2009;28:1271-8 pubmed publisher..During the depuration phase, uranium excretion was inefficient in brain and skeletal muscles, and expression of most of the tissue-specific genes was repressed or unchanged. ..
- Jungck M, Andrey J, Froidevaux P. Determination of radionuclide levels in rainwater using ion exchange resin and gamma-spectrometry. J Environ Radioact. 2009;100:361-5 pubmed publisher..Because of these great advantages, we anticipate it could replace former rainwater determination methods. Moreover, it does not necessitate the transportation of large rainwater volumes to the laboratory. ..
- Mowlavi A, Shahbahrami A, Binesh A. Dose evaluation and measurement of radon concentration in some drinking water sources of the Ramsar region in Iran. Isotopes Environ Health Stud. 2009;45:269-72 pubmed publisher..The results show all of the water supplies have radon concentration greater than 10kBq/m(3) as normal level. Moreover, the estimated mean annual radiation dose to public due to waterborne radon has also been evaluated. ..
- Rao D, Baburajan A, Sudheendran V, Verma P, Hegde A. Evaluation and assessment of 25 years of environmental radioactivity monitoring data at Tarapur (India) nuclear site. J Environ Radioact. 2010;101:630-42 pubmed publisher..The evaluation of environmental data indicated that the radionuclide concentrations and potential impacts, in terms of effective dose to the members of public, have significantly reduced since 1969. ..
- Lerebours A, Adam Guillermin C, Brèthes D, Frelon S, Floriani M, Camilleri V, et al. Mitochondrial energetic metabolism perturbations in skeletal muscles and brain of zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to low concentrations of waterborne uranium. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;100:66-74 pubmed publisher..These effects were largest at the lowest concentration, following 28 days of exposure. ..
- Ruberu S, Liu Y, Perera S. Occurrence and distribution of 210Pb and 210Po in selected California groundwater wells. Health Phys. 2007;92:432-41 pubmed..Activities of Pb measured from wells two years apart clearly demonstrated the continuous flux of groundwater within aquifers. ..
- Um W, Serne R, Brown C, Last G. U(VI) adsorption on aquifer sediments at the Hanford Site. J Contam Hydrol. 2007;93:255-69 pubmed
- Reszat T, Hendry M. Complexation of aqueous elements by DOC in a clay aquitard. Ground Water. 2007;45:542-53 pubmed..Our data suggest that competitive complexation by other ligands may limit the importance of DOC-facilitated transport of the elements studied in water of similar chemical composition. ..
- Motellier S, Devol Brown I, Savoye S, Thoby D, Alberto J. Evaluation of tritiated water diffusion through the Toarcian clayey formation of the Tournemire experimental site (France). J Contam Hydrol. 2007;94:99-108 pubmed..On the contrary, a significant decrease of this transport parameter was induced by the occurrence of a pre-existing tectonic fracture, which was assigned to the dense structure of the filling phases. ..
- Dickinson M, Scott T. The application of zero-valent iron nanoparticles for the remediation of a uranium-contaminated waste effluent. J Hazard Mater. 2010;178:171-9 pubmed publisher..The efficient uptake and retention of U on the INP for periods up to 48 h provide proof that INP may be effectively used for the remediation of complex U-contaminated effluents. ..
- Wilkins M, Verberkmoes N, Williams K, Callister S, Mouser P, Elifantz H, et al. Proteogenomic monitoring of Geobacter physiology during stimulated uranium bioremediation. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:6591-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, metagenomics-independent community proteogenomics can be used to diagnose the status of the subsurface consortia upon which remediation biotechnology relies...
- Yamada M, Wang Z. 137Cs in the western South Pacific Ocean. Sci Total Environ. 2007;382:342-50 pubmed
- Magdo H, Forman J, Graber N, Newman B, Klein K, Satlin L, et al. Grand rounds: nephrotoxicity in a young child exposed to uranium from contaminated well water. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:1237-41 pubmed
- Ulrich K, Singh A, Schofield E, Bargar J, Veeramani H, Sharp J, et al. Dissolution of biogenic and synthetic UO2 under varied reducing conditions. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:5600-6 pubmed..Even in anoxic aquifers, UO2 dissolution may be controlled by surface U(VI) rather than U(IV) phases. ..
- Connan O, Tessier E, Maro D, Amouroux D, Hébert D, Rozet M, et al. Water to atmosphere fluxes of 131I in relation with alkyl-iodide compounds from the Seine Estuary (France). J Environ Radioact. 2008;99:1102-10 pubmed publisher..Measurements of (131)I in water varying between 0.4 and 11.9 Bq m(-3). Fluxes of (131)I from water to atmosphere are in the range 2.4 x 10(5)-1.3 x 10(7)Bq y(-1), close to an annual discharge of (131)I by a nuclear reactor. ..
- Yamada M, Zheng J. Determination of 240Pu/239Pu atom ratio in coastal surface seawaters from the western North Pacific Ocean and Japan Sea. Appl Radiat Isot. 2008;66:103-7 pubmed..227 +/- 0.006 was significantly higher than the mean global fallout ratio of 0.18. The contribution of the Pacific Proving Grounds close-in fallout was estimated to be 33% of the (239+240)Pu. ..
- Saari H, Schmidt S, Huguet S, Lanoux A. Spatiotemporal variation of dissolved (238)U in the Gironde fluvial-estuarine system (France). J Environ Radioact. 2008;99:426-35 pubmed publisher..Dissolved (238)U distribution in the Gironde fluvial-estuarine system can be explained by the characteristics of considered drainage basins. There is no evidence of anthropogenic pollution. ..
- Picardo M, Ferreira A, Da Costa A. Continuous thorium biosorption--dynamic study for critical bed depth determination in a fixed-bed reactor. Bioresour Technol. 2009;100:208-10 pubmed publisher..The 30.0 cm bed produced an effluent still containing detectable levels of thorium. The critical bed depth suitable for a complete removal of thorium by S.filipendula biomass was equal to 40.0 cm...
- Rollins E. Ambient environmental profile for the Savannah River Site. Health Phys. 2008;95:55-68 pubmed publisher..This being accomplished, the estimated intakes and ambient radiation exposures were used to estimate the dose rates to major body organs of interest at specific time intervals. ..
- Powell B, Hughes L, Soreefan A, Falta D, Wall M, Devol T. Elevated concentrations of primordial radionuclides in sediments from the Reedy River and surrounding creeks in Simpsonville, South Carolina. J Environ Radioact. 2007;94:121-8 pubmed
- N guessan A, Vrionis H, Resch C, Long P, Lovley D. Sustained removal of uranium from contaminated groundwater following stimulation of dissimilatory metal reduction. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:2999-3004 pubmed..This unexpected enhanced adsorption of U(VI) onto sediments following the stimulation of microbial growth in the subsurface may potentially enhance the cost effectiveness of in situ uranium bioremediation. ..
- Heckel A, Vogl K. Rapid method for determination of the activity concentrations of (89)Sr and (90)Sr. Appl Radiat Isot. 2009;67:794-6 pubmed publisher..From both spectra the activities of strontium are calculated by means of a spectrum deconvolution method. The results can be obtained within 4.5 hours for particulate filters and 2 hours for water. ..
- Joner E, Munier Lamy C, Gouget B. Bioavailability and microbial adaptation to elevated levels of uranium in an acid, organic topsoil forming on an old mine spoil. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2007;26:1644-8 pubmed
- Galanda D, Rajec P, MÃ¡tel L, RosskopfovÃ¡ O, DulanskÃ¡ S. Separation techniques for quantification of radionuclides in environmental samples. ScientificWorldJournal. 2009;9:1206-14 pubmed publisher..The main criterion in evaluating these methods was the chemical recovery of (90)Sr, which was less than we had expected. We also considered speed of separation and additional steps needed to prepare the sample for separation. ..
- Salahel Din K, Vesterbacka P. Spatial distribution of U isotopes in sea-water sediments, Red Sea, Egypt. J Environ Radioact. 2010;101:165-9 pubmed publisher..Secular equilibrium between (234)U and (238)U was found in the analyzed samples. The average activity ratio of (235)U/(238)U was close to the value 0.046 for uranium in nature. ..
- Massarin S, Alonzo F, Garcia Sanchez L, Gilbin R, Garnier Laplace J, Poggiale J. Effects of chronic uranium exposure on life history and physiology of Daphnia magna over three successive generations. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;99:309-19 pubmed publisher..The observed increase in toxic effects across generations indicated the necessity of carrying out multigeneration tests to assess environmental risk of uranium in daphnids. ..
- Goss O, Liddiard M. Management of particles detected on the Dounreay site. J Radiol Prot. 2007;27:A89-96 pubmed..It is unlikely that there will be a full removal of particles from the total environment, so some form of long term monitoring programme may be required plus a high standard of record keeping. ..
- Someda H. Influence of the support base on the sorption of Co(II) with mixed solvents. J Hazard Mater. 2007;149:189-98 pubmed..Thermodynamic parameters have also been calculated for the three systems and sorption process was found to be spontaneous and endothermic one. ..
- Lansard B, Charmasson S, Gasco C, Antón M, Grenz C, Arnaud M. Spatial and temporal variations of plutonium isotopes (238Pu and 239,240Pu) in sediments off the Rhone River mouth (NW Mediterranean). Sci Total Environ. 2007;376:215-27 pubmed..This comparison highlights the decrease with time in plutonium concentrations close to the Rhone River mouth, but further away this reduction is not so evident. ..
- Tang Y, McDonald J, Reeder R. Enhanced uranium sorption on aluminum oxide pretreated with arsenate. Part II: Spectroscopic studies. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:4452-8 pubmed..Current findings evaluate the mechanism by which the pretreatment results in enhanced U uptake and stability and provides a conceptual basis for designing other pretreatment technologies for uranium remediation. ..
- Zotina T, Bolsunovskiĭ A, Bondareva L. [The accumulation of 241Am by suspended matter of the Yenisei River]. Radiats Biol Radioecol. 2008;48:117-22 pubmed..No energy-dependent accumulation of americium by algae was detected in the experiments. Addition of dissolved organics and hydrogen carbonates led to a lower uptake of 241Am from the Yenisei water by seston. ..
- Beresford N, Howard B, Mayes R, Lamb C. The transfer of radionuclides from saltmarsh vegetation to sheep tissues and milk. J Environ Radioact. 2007;98:36-49 pubmed..A field study to determine the activity concentrations of (137)Cs and (239,240)Pu in the milk of ewes grazing a saltmarsh close to Sellafield is also described. ..
- Toole J. History of monitoring beaches around Dounreay, and some future work. J Radiol Prot. 2007;27:A13-21 pubmed..Finally, the implications of the detection of a small particle at a large public beach some 23 km east of the Dounreay site are briefly discussed, as is the nature of some future work related to this environmental legacy. ..
- Bare J, Evrard M, Mertens C, De Lellis C, Tondeur F. Gamma spectrum unfolding for a NaI monitor of radioactivity in aquatic systems. Appl Radiat Isot. 2010;68:836-8 pubmed publisher..The main parameter influencing the quality of the results is the chi(2). The goal of this study is to optimize the choice of this factor. The statistical accuracy of the technique is evaluated. ..
- Boonchayaanant B, Nayak D, Du X, Criddle C. Uranium reduction and resistance to reoxidation under iron-reducing and sulfate-reducing conditions. Water Res. 2009;43:4652-64 pubmed publisher..The likely reason is that more of the added electrons are present in a form that can reduce oxygen to water and U(VI) back to U(IV). ..
- Outola I, Saxén R, Heinävaara S. Transfer of 90Sr into fish in Finnish lakes. J Environ Radioact. 2009;100:657-64 pubmed publisher..More (90)Sr was transferred into fish in lakes with a low electrical conductivity and a low Ca concentration. Among other water parameters evaluated were pH, color, total nitrogen, and phosphorus...
- Mishra S, Bhalke S, Pandit G, Puranik V. Estimation of 210Po and its risk to human beings due to consumption of marine species at Mumbai, India. Chemosphere. 2009;76:402-6 pubmed publisher..5th, 50th and 95th percentile of life time risk was calculated to be 9.74E-06, 4.39E-05 and 2.12E-04, respectively...