Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances that lower the levels of certain LIPIDS in the BLOOD. They are used to treat HYPERLIPIDEMIAS.
- Padwal R, Rashead M, Snider J, Morrin L, Lehman A, Campbell N. Worksite-based cardiovascular risk screening and management: a feasibility study. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2017;13:209-213 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the feasibility and usefulness of collaborative, worksite-based cardiovascular risk factor screening and management. Expansion of this type of partnership in a cost-effective manner is warranted. ..
- Wiernek S, Cavender M. Effect of non-insulin-based glucose-lowering therapies on cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Fam Pract. 2017;66: pubmed..In this review, we aim to present the basic mechanisms for each class of commonly used non-insulin-based glucose-lowering drugs and to discuss the effect of these medications on CV events. ..
- . Persistent Effects of Intensive Glycemic Control on Retinopathy in Type 2 Diabetes in the Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) Follow-On Study. Diabetes Care. 2016;39:1089-100 pubmed publisher..The benefit of fenofibrate, however, did not persist. Intensive blood pressure control had no effect. ..
- Jorgensen N, Sibley C, McClelland R. Using imputed pre-treatment cholesterol in a propensity score model to reduce confounding by indication: results from the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013;13:81 pubmed publisher..These techniques could be useful in any example where inclusion of participants exposed at baseline in the analysis is desirable, and reasonable estimates of pre-exposure biomarker values can be estimated. ..
- Skolnik N, Jaffa F, Kalyani R, Johnson E, Shubrook J. Reducing CV risk in diabetes: An ADA update. J Fam Pract. 2017;66:300-308 pubmed..This Q&A highlights changes to the ADA's 2017 Standards of Care to help you fine-tune your approach to patients who have, or are at risk for, atherosclerotic CV disease. ..
- Frick M, Elo O, Haapa K, Heinonen O, Heinsalmi P, Helo P, et al. Helsinki Heart Study: primary-prevention trial with gemfibrozil in middle-aged men with dyslipidemia. Safety of treatment, changes in risk factors, and incidence of coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med. 1987;317:1237-45 pubmed..The results are in accord with two previous trials with different pharmacologic agents and indicate that modification of lipoprotein levels with gemfibrozil reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease in men with dyslipidemia. ..
- Manktelow B, Potter J. Interventions in the management of serum lipids for preventing stroke recurrence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;:CD002091 pubmed publisher..In view of this and the evidence of the benefit of statin therapy in those with a history of CHD, patients with ischaemic stroke or TIA, with or without a history of established CHD, should receive statins. ..
- Tung C, Han M, Qi J. Total control of fat cells from adipogenesis to apoptosis using a xanthene analog. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179158 pubmed publisher..These dual functionalities make MI-401 an effective agent in the regulation of the birth and death of adipocytes. ..
- Boden W, Probstfield J, Anderson T, Chaitman B, Desvignes Nickens P, Koprowicz K, et al. Niacin in patients with low HDL cholesterol levels receiving intensive statin therapy. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2255-67 pubmed publisher..Funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and Abbott Laboratories; AIM-HIGH ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00120289.). ..
- Alibaz Oner F, Koster M, Unal A, Yildirim H, Çikikçi C, Schmidt J, et al. Assessment of the frequency of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with Takayasu's arteritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1939-1944 pubmed publisher..We aimed to assess the frequency of cardiovascular (CV) risk factors and the incidence of CV events (CVEs) in patients with TAK from two ethnically different populations...
- Shukla K, Dikshit P, Shukla R, Sharma S, Gambhir J. Hypolipidemic and antioxidant activity of aqueous extract of fruit of Withania coagulans (Stocks) Dunal in cholesterol-fed hyperlipidemic rabbit model. Indian J Exp Biol. 2014;52:870-5 pubmed..These results suggest that the aqueous extract of W. coagulans has potent lipid lowering and antioxidant activities. ..
- He D, Wang M, Zhao S, Shu Y, Zeng H, Xiao C, et al. Pharmaceutical prospects of naturally occurring quinazolinone and its derivatives. Fitoterapia. 2017;119:136-149 pubmed publisher..In addition, structure-activity relationships of quinazolinone derivatives are also reviewed. ..
- Safarova M, Trukhacheva E, Ezhov M, Afanas eva O, Afanas eva M, Tripoten M, et al. [Pleiotropic effects of nicotinic acid therapy in men with coronary heart disease and elevated lipoprotein(a) levels]. Kardiologiia. 2011;51:9-16 pubmed..This is the first study providing the evidence of using Lp(a) as one of therapeutic targets in patients with high Lp(a) levels for achieving beneficial effect on a surrogate marker of atherosclerosis. ..
- de Sousa J, Pereira P, Allgayer M, Marroni N, de Barros Falcão Ferraz A, Picada J. Evaluation of DNA damage in Wistar rat tissues with hyperlipidemia induced by tyloxapol. Exp Mol Pathol. 2017;103:51-55 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this surfactant might be used in models to evaluate new hypolipidemic drugs with associated chemopreventive properties. ..
- Liu Q, Luo Q, HALIM A, Song G. Targeting lipid metabolism of cancer cells: A promising therapeutic strategy for cancer. Cancer Lett. 2017;401:39-45 pubmed publisher..Understanding the regulation of lipid metabolism in cancer cells has important implications for exploring a new therapeutic strategy for management and treatment of cancer. ..
- Cheung B, Cheng C, Lau C, Wong C, Ma R, Chu D, et al. 2016 Consensus statement on prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in the Hong Kong population. Hong Kong Med J. 2017;23:191-201 pubmed publisher..Pharmacological interventions should be selected as appropriate after lifestyle modification. ..
- Ahmadian M, Roshan V, Aslani E, Stannard S. Taurine supplementation has anti-atherogenic and anti-inflammatory effects before and after incremental exercise in heart failure. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;11:185-194 pubmed publisher..05). our results suggest that 2 weeks of oral taurine supplementation increases the taurine levels and has anti-atherogenic and anti-inflammatory effects prior to and following incremental exercise in HF patients. ..
- Ryden M, Arner P. Subcutaneous Adipocyte Lipolysis Contributes to Circulating Lipid Levels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1782-1787 pubmed publisher..Thus, although several other factors also play a role, subcutaneous adipose tissue may have a causal influence on dyslipidemia. ..
- Grützmacher P, Ohm B, Szymczak S, Dorbath C, Brzoska M, Kleinert C. Primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease in patients with hyperlipoproteinemia (a). Clin Res Cardiol Suppl. 2017;12:22-26 pubmed publisher..Statin-based lowering of LDL cholesterol and thrombocyte aggregation inhibitors still represent the basis of medical treatment. Target levels for LDL-cholesterol should be modified in patients with hyperlipoproteinemia (a). ..
- Madhuri K, Naik P. Modulatory effect of garcinol in streptozotocin-induced diabetic Wistar rats. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2017;123:322-329 pubmed publisher..The effect produced by the drug was compared with that of glibenclamide, a standard hypoglycaemic drug. These findings reveal that garcinol can be a promising antidiabetic candidate in the future. ..
- Olaiya M, Cadilhac D, Kim J, Nelson M, Srikanth V, Gerraty R, et al. Community-Based Intervention to Improve Cardiometabolic Targets in Patients With Stroke: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stroke. 2017;48:2504-2510 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: ACTRN12608000166370. ..
- Vogt A. Hyperlipoproteinaemia(a) - apheresis and emerging therapies. Clin Res Cardiol Suppl. 2017;12:12-17 pubmed publisher..Currently LA is the standard of care as a last resort treatment in high-risk patients with elevated Lp(a) and severe CVD despite optimal control of all other cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Dodds S. The How-To for Type 2: An Overview of Diagnosis and Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Nurs Clin North Am. 2017;52:513-522 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for evidence-based lifestyle measures and current pharmacologic options are addressed. A priority on individualized, holistic care with patient-specified goals and the management of comorbidities is emphasized. ..
- Maiques Galán A, Villar Alvarez F, Brotons Cuixart C, Torcal Laguna J, Orozco Beltran D, Navarro Perez J, et al. [Preventive cardiovascular recommendations]. Aten Primaria. 2007;39 Suppl 3:15-26 pubmed
- Okolo C, Ejere V, Chukwuka C, Ezeigbo I, Nwibo D, Okorie A. HEXANE EXTRACT OF Dacryodes edulis FRUITS POSSESSES ANTI-DIABETIC AND HYPOLIPIDAEMIC POTENTIALS IN ALLOXAN DIABETES OF RATS. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2016;13:132-144 pubmed publisher..However no scientific substantiation of their claim and use exist in literature. Hence, the need to evaluate the antidiabetic and hypolipidaemic activity of hexane extracts of D. edulis fruit in alloxanised animal model...
- Dhruva S, Huang C, Spatz E, Coppi A, Warner F, Li S, et al. Heterogeneity in Early Responses in ALLHAT (Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial). Hypertension. 2017;70:94-102 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate heterogeneity in response to antihypertensive therapies and show that chlorthalidone is associated with more favorable initial response than the other medications. ..
- Kostapanos M, Katsiki N, Elisaf M, Mikhailidis D. Editorial: reducing cardiovascular risk: is low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (LDL-C) lowering enough?. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2012;10:173-7 pubmed
- De Marco V, Noronha K, Casado T, Nakandakare E, Florio J, Santos E, et al. Therapy of Canine Hyperlipidemia with Bezafibrate. J Vet Intern Med. 2017;31:717-722 pubmed publisher..No adverse effects were observed, but ALT activity decreased significantly after 30 days of treatment. Over 30 days, BZF was safe and effective in treatment of primary and secondary hyperlipidemia in dogs. ..
- Sun L, Yang X, Li Q, Zeng P, Liu Y, Liu L, et al. Activation of Adiponectin Receptor Regulates Proprotein Convertase Subtilisin/Kexin Type 9 Expression and Inhibits Lesions in ApoE-Deficient Mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1290-1300 pubmed publisher..However, ADP355 activated hepatic LDLR expression and ameliorated lipid metabolism in both types of mice and inhibited atherosclerosis in apoE-/- mice. ..
- Ginsberg H, Elam M, Lovato L, Crouse J, Leiter L, Linz P, et al. Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:1563-74 pubmed publisher..These results do not support the routine use of combination therapy with fenofibrate and simvastatin to reduce cardiovascular risk in the majority of high-risk patients with type 2 diabetes. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00000620.) ..
- van Doorn Klomberg A, Braspenning J, Wolters R, Bouma M, Wensing M. Effect of accreditation on the quality of chronic disease management: a comparative observational study. BMC Fam Pract. 2014;15:179 pubmed publisher..Further development of accreditation is needed to enhance its effectiveness on chronic disease management. ..
- Ferri N, Corsini A, Sirtori C, Ruscica M. PPAR-? agonists are still on the rise: an update on clinical and experimental findings. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2017;26:593-602 pubmed publisher..Although the use of fibrates is rated 'second choice' by many clinicians, new PPAR-? agonists may offer a more accessible route to the management of hypertriglyceridemia, a frequent clinical condition. ..
- Durkar A, Patil R, Naik S. Hypolipidemic and antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of Symplocos racemosa Roxb. in hyperlipidemic rats: an evidence of participation of oxidative stress in hyperlipidemia. Indian J Exp Biol. 2014;52:36-45 pubmed..The hypolipidemic activity of EESR may be due to the presence of flavonoids phenolic compounds, phenolic glycosides and steroids. ..
- Huang Z, Huang S, Cong H, Li Z, Li J, Keller K, et al. Smell and Taste Dysfunction Is Associated with Higher Serum Total Cholesterol Concentrations in Chinese Adults. J Nutr. 2017;147:1546-1551 pubmed publisher..4 y) who did not take hypolipidemic agents. Participants were categorized into 3 groups based on the number of smell and taste dysfunctions, ranging ..
- Zaher N, Rashed E, El Ghazaly M. Semi-synthetic thymoquinone analogs: new prototypes as potential antihyperlipidemics in irradiated rats. Future Med Chem. 2017;9:1483-1493 pubmed publisher..TQ derivatives (4-7), could be considered as promising agents in pathologies implicating impaired lipid metabolism, preclinical evaluation is warranted. [Formula: see text]. ..
- Hwang J, Choi H, Kim S, Chung S, Hur H, Park J, et al. Hypolipidemic Activity of Quercus acutissima Fruit Ethanol Extract is Mediated by Inhibition of Acetylation. J Med Food. 2017;20:542-549 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations suggest that QF acts as an HAT inhibitor and attenuates adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes, resulting in the mitigation of HFD-induced obesity. ..
- Forman B, Chen J, Evans R. Hypolipidemic drugs, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and eicosanoids are ligands for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors alpha and delta. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:4312-7 pubmed..Because altered FA levels are associated with obesity, atherosclerosis, hypertension, and diabetes, PPARs may serve as molecular sensors that are central to the development and treatment of these metabolic disorders. ..
- Qaseem A, Hopkins R, Sweet D, Starkey M, Shekelle P. Screening, monitoring, and treatment of stage 1 to 3 chronic kidney disease: A clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159:835-47 pubmed..Grade: strong recommendation, moderate-quality evidence). ..
- Virani S. Non-HDL cholesterol as a metric of good quality of care: opportunities and challenges. Tex Heart Inst J. 2011;38:160-2 pubmed
- Uzzaman R, Ghaffar M. Anti-diabetic and hypolipidemic effects of extract from the seed of Gossypium herbaceum L. in Alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2017;30:75-86 pubmed..Data indicated that GH and its aqueous and ethanol extracts have promising anti-diabetic and hypolipidemic effects. GH and GHE could be effective tool against the development, progression and complication of Diabetes mellitus. ..
- Amor Salamanca A, Castillo S, Gonzalez Vioque E, Dominguez F, Quintana L, Lluís Ganella C, et al. Genetically Confirmed Familial Hypercholesterolemia in Patients With Acute Coronary Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1732-1740 pubmed publisher..FH clinical algorithms do not accurately classify patients with FH. Genetic testing should be advocated in young patients with ACS and high LDL-C levels to allow prompt identification of patients with FH and relatives at risk. ..
- Yimam M, Jiao P, Hong M, Brownell L, Lee Y, Hyun E, et al. UP601, a standardized botanical composition composed of Morus alba, Yerba mate and Magnolia officinalis for weight loss. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:114 pubmed publisher..UP601, a standardized botanical composition from Morus alba, Yerba mate and Magnolia officinalis could potentially be used for achieving healthy weight loss and maintenance. ..
- Trimarco V, Battistoni A, Tocci G, Coluccia R, Manzi M, Izzo R, et al. Single blind, multicentre, randomized, controlled trial testing the effects of a novel nutraceutical compound on plasma lipid and cardiovascular risk factors: Results of the interim analysis. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:850-857 pubmed publisher..In adult subjects with mild hypercholesterolemia we compared in the real life the effects of a new combination of nutraceuticals on lipid and glucose metabolism and blood pressure with those of an established nutraceutical combination...
- ..Individuals with type 1 diabetes are at high risk for glycemic complications caused by potentially preventable errors in medication administration, which can be mitigated with appropriate education. ..
- Yahya R, Mulder M, Sijbrands E, Williams M, Roeters van Lennep J. Low-density lipoprotein receptor-negative compound heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: Two lifetime journeys of lipid-lowering therapy. J Clin Lipidol. 2017;11:301-305 pubmed publisher..These cases tell the story of siblings affected with this rare disease, who are free of symptoms but still are at a very high cardiovascular disease risk, and their treatment from childhood. ..
- Hadjiphilippou S, Ray K. PCSK9 inhibition and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease prevention: does reality match the hype?. Heart. 2017;103:1670-1679 pubmed publisher..With further outcome trials expected, appropriate patient selection will be key considering the higher drug costs of these therapies. ..
- Appleton J, Scutt P, Sprigg N, Bath P. Hypercholesterolaemia and vascular dementia. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1561-1578 pubmed publisher..Although the paucity of randomized controlled evidence makes for challenging clinical decision making, it provides multiple opportunities for on-going and future research, as discussed here. ..
- Niiranen T, Lyass A, Larson M, Hamburg N, Benjamin E, Mitchell G, et al. Prevalence, Correlates, and Prognosis of Healthy Vascular Aging in a Western Community-Dwelling Cohort: The Framingham Heart Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:267-274 pubmed publisher..Although our data are observational, our findings support prevention strategies targeting modifiable factors and behaviors and obesity, in particular, to prevent or delay vascular aging and the associated risk of CVD. ..
- Pontiroli A, Lanzi R, Monti L, Pozza G. Effect of acipimox, a lipid lowering drug, on growth hormone (GH) response to GH-releasing hormone in normal subjects. J Endocrinol Invest. 1990;13:539-42 pubmed..These data indicate that FFA play an important role in the control of GH release, and that acipimox prevents the FFA rise induced by GH. ..
- DeFilippis A, Young R, Carrubba C, McEvoy J, Budoff M, Blumenthal R, et al. An analysis of calibration and discrimination among multiple cardiovascular risk scores in a modern multiethnic cohort. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162:266-75 pubmed publisher..If validated, overestimation of ASCVD risk may have substantial implications for individual patients and the health care system. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. ..
- Iwano J, Nakamura Y, Izumida T, Yokota M, Takiguchi Y, Minakuchi K, et al. Synergistic effect of combining theophylline and drugs that potentially elevate serum creatine kinase. J Med Invest. 2000;47:9-13 pubmed..The combined treatment of theophylline and CK-elevating drugs induces a synergistic increase in the serum CK level, indicating not pharmacokinetic but pharmacodynamic interactions with these drugs. ..
- Landray M, Haynes R, Hopewell J, Parish S, Aung T, Tomson J, et al. Effects of extended-release niacin with laropiprant in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:203-12 pubmed publisher..Funded by Merck and others; HPS2-THRIVE ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00461630.). ..
- Muka T, Kiefte de Jong J, Hofman A, Dehghan A, Rivadeneira F, Franco O. Polyunsaturated fatty acids and serum C-reactive protein: the Rotterdam study. Am J Epidemiol. 2015;181:846-56 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that high intakes of total PUFAs are associated with lower levels of CRP, reflecting diminished chronic systemic inflammation, which in our study was mainly driven by n-6 PUFAs. ..
- Inoue J, Ikeda S, Kanayama T, Sato R. The flavonoid derivative 4'-nitro-6-hydroxyflavone suppresses the activity of HNF4? and stimulates the degradation of HNF4? protein through the activation of AMPK. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1548-1552 pubmed publisher..Knock-down of AMPK diminishes the effect of NOHF. These results indicate that NOHF is an AMPK activator and attenuates the transcriptional activity of HNF4?, at least in part, by accelerating HNF4? protein degradation. ..
- Lauer M, Fontanarosa P. Updated guidelines for cholesterol management. JAMA. 2001;285:2508-9 pubmed
- Xue Z, Zhang Q, Yu W, Wen H, Hou X, Li D, et al. Potential Lipid-Lowering Mechanisms of Biochanin A. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:3842-3850 pubmed publisher..Moreover, molecular docking of BCA on cholesterol ester transfer protein (CETP) (Asn24 and Thr27 at the N-terminal; Ala274 and Phe270 at the C-terminal) gave new insights into the role of BCA in preventing cholesterol ester transport. ..
- Cheon S, Chung K, Lee K, Choi H, Ham I, Jung D, et al. HVC1 ameliorates hyperlipidemia and inflammation in LDLR-/- mice. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:222 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that HVC1 might be effective in preventing high-cholesterol diet-induced hyperlipidemia by regulating the genes involved in cholesterol and lipid metabolism, and inflammatory responses. ..
- Xu G, Qin X, Wang G, Xie G, Li X, Sun C, et al. Antihyperglycemic, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of standard ethanol extract of Bombax ceiba leaves in high-fat-diet- and streptozotocin-induced Type 2 diabetic rats. Chin J Nat Med. 2017;15:168-177 pubmed publisher..Antioxidant activity and protecting pancreatic ?-cells are the possible mechanisms involved in anti-diabetic activity of BCE. ..