Summary: Chemical agents or ODORANTS that stimulate sexual desires. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
- Ratnasooriya W, Dharmasiri M. Effects of Terminalia catappa seeds on sexual behaviour and fertility of male rats. Asian J Androl. 2000;2:213-9 pubmed..They were due to marked sedation. The kernel of T. catappa seeds has aphrodisiac activity and may be useful in the treatment of certain forms of sexual inadequacies, such as premature ejaculation. ..
- Jia L, Zhao Y, Liang X. Current evaluation of the millennium phytomedicine- ginseng (II): Collected chemical entities, modern pharmacology, and clinical applications emanated from traditional Chinese medicine. Curr Med Chem. 2009;16:2924-42 pubmed
- Ang H, Ngai T, Tan T. Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on sexual qualities in middle aged male rats. Phytomedicine. 2003;10:590-3 pubmed..Hence, this study shows that E. longifolia Jack enhanced the sexual qualities of the middle aged male rats, further supports the folkuse of E. longifolia Jack as an aphrodisiac...
- Ali S, Rakkah N. Probable neuro sexual mode of action of Casimiroa edulis seed extract versus [correction of verses] sildenafil citrate (Viagra(tm)) on mating behavior in normal male rats. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2008;21:1-6 pubmed
- Subramoniam A, Gangaprasad A, Sureshkumar P, Radhika J, Arun K, Arun B. A novel aphrodisiac compound from an orchid that activates nitric oxide synthases. Int J Impot Res. 2013;25:212-6 pubmed publisher..2.1] heptane. We anticipate that our findings could lead to the development of a commercially viable and valuable drug for erectile dysfunction. ..
- Daolio C, Beltrame F, Ferreira A, Cass Q, Cortez D, Ferreira M. Classification of commercial Catuaba samples by NMR, HPLC and chemometrics. Phytochem Anal. 2008;19:218-28 pubmed..A comparative study of HPLC, HR-MAS and liquid-NMR techniques is also reported. ..
- Chaturapanich G, Chaiyakul S, Verawatnapakul V, Yimlamai T, Pholpramool C. Enhancement of aphrodisiac activity in male rats by ethanol extract of Kaempferia parviflora and exercise training. Andrologia. 2012;44 Suppl 1:323-8 pubmed publisher..None of the treatments altered male fertility. It is concluded that KD enhanced sexual motivation whereas exercise training promoted both sexual motivation and performance. ..
- Appelgren L. Spanish flies in the veterinary pharmacy in Skara--their medicinal use yesterday and to day. Hist Med Vet. 2010;35:35-48 pubmed..Recent studies has shown cantharidin to possess antitumour effect--something that Dioscorides noted in his texts from around A.D. 40-80! ..
- Toda H, Zhao X, Dickson B. The Drosophila female aphrodisiac pheromone activates ppk23(+) sensory neurons to elicit male courtship behavior. Cell Rep. 2012;1:599-607 pubmed publisher..Artificial activation of these ppk23(+) neurons stimulates male-male courtship even without 7,11-HD perfuming. These data identify the ppk23(+) sensory neurons as the primary targets for female sex pheromones in Drosophila. ..
- Forsyth R, Moulden A. Methaemoglobinaemia after ingestion of amyl nitrite. Arch Dis Child. 1991;66:152 pubmed..The availability of these products, their poor labelling, and their intended presence in domestic bedrooms all serve to increase the hazard they pose to young children. ..
- Murty O, Mahinda H. Bandaged penis. J Forensic Leg Med. 2007;14:301-3 pubmed..These changes were considered to be caused by bites. The micro-photographic findings in the case were of acute myocardial ischemia, pulmonary oedema, and fatty liver. ..
- Pertovaara A, Linnankoski I, Artchakov D, Rämä P, Carlson S. A potential aphrodisiac for female macaques. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2004;79:137-41 pubmed
- Ndhlala A, Ncube B, Okem A, Mulaudzi R, van Staden J. Toxicology of some important medicinal plants in southern Africa. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013;62:609-21 pubmed publisher..These include important medicinal uses and pharmacological properties ranging from antimicrobial, antiviral, anticancer, anti-inflammatory as well as those that are used as aphrodisiacs and for maternal health care.
- Ang H, Ngai T. Aphrodisiac evaluation in non-copulator male rats after chronic administration of Eurycoma longifolia Jack. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2001;15:265-8 pubmed..Hence, this study lends further support to the use of the plant by indigenous populations as a traditional medicine for its aphrodisiac property. ..
- Riaz M, Shahid M, Jamil A, Saqib M. In vitro antioxidant potential of selected aphrodisiac medicinal plants. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2017;31:419-424 pubmed..Therefore, the present study concluded that all the studied medicinal plants possess varying concentrations of secondary active metabolites responsible for the antioxidant properties of the tested plant extracts. ..
- Hosseinzadeh H, Ziaee T, Sadeghi A. The effect of saffron, Crocus sativus stigma, extract and its constituents, safranal and crocin on sexual behaviors in normal male rats. Phytomedicine. 2008;15:491-5 pubmed..increased MF, IF and EF behaviors and reduced EL, IL and ML parameters. Safranal did not show aphrodisiac effects. The present study reveals an aphrodisiac activity of saffron aqueous extract and its constituent crocin. ..
- El Tantawy W, Temraz A, El Gindi O. Free serum testosterone level in male rats treated with Tribulus alatus extracts. Int Braz J Urol. 2007;33:554-8; discussion 558-9 pubmed..The present study was undertaken to investigate the effect of Tribulus alatus extracts on free serum testosterone in male rats...
- Sharma V, Thakur M, Chauhan N, Dixit V. Effects of petroleum ether extract of Anacyclus pyrethrum DC. on sexual behavior in male rats. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2010;8:767-73 pubmed..This suggests that the drug has prolonged effect and capacitate the treated rats for improved sexual potential. ..
- Carro Juarez M, Cervantes E, Cervantes Méndez M, Rodriguez Manzo G. Aphrodisiac properties of Montanoa tomentosa aqueous crude extract in male rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2004;78:129-34 pubmed..Present findings provide experimental evidence that the crude extract preparation of M. tomentosa, used as a traditional remedy, possesses aphrodisiac properties. ..
- Ang H. An insight into Malaysian herbal medicines. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2004;25:297-8 pubmed
- Kaur S, Kumar P, Kumar D, Kharya M, Singh N. Parasympathomimetic effect of shilajit accounts for relaxation of rat corpus cavernosum. Am J Mens Health. 2013;7:119-27 pubmed publisher..The peripheral parasympathomimetic effects of shilajit were confirmed by blockade of shilajit-induced relaxations (in vitro) and shilajit-induced lowering of MABP and HR (in vivo) by atropine. ..
- Brubacher J, Lachmanen D, Ravikumar P, Hoffman R. Efficacy of digoxin specific Fab fragments (Digibind) in the treatment of toad venom poisoning. Toxicon. 1999;37:931-42 pubmed..00003 for mortality and p = 0.009 for seizures). Digoxin specific Fab fragments are effective in the treatment of Chan Su poisoning in mice and may be effective for poisoning by other cardioactive steroids of the bufadienolide class. ..
- Chauhan N, Sharma V, Thakur M, Dixit V. Curculigo orchioides: the black gold with numerous health benefits. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2010;8:613-23 pubmed..The present review is an attempt to enumerate various biologically tested activities and evaluation of different phytochemicals present in this important medicinal plant...
- Jianfeng C, Pengying Z, Chengwei X, Taotao H, Yungui B, Kaoshan C. Effect of aqueous extract of Arctium lappa L. (burdock) roots on the sexual behavior of male rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:8 pubmed publisher..These results thus support the traditional use of Arctium lappa L. root extract for treating impotence and sterility. ..
- Stambach T, Haire K, Soni N, Booth J. Saturday night blue--a case of near fatal poisoning from the abuse of amyl nitrite. J Accid Emerg Med. 1997;14:339-40 pubmed..This report presents the clinical picture and the background information leading to the detection and treatment of this unusual problem. ..
- Guohua H, Yanhua L, Rengang M, Dongzhi W, Zhengzhi M, Hua Z. Aphrodisiac properties of Allium tuberosum seeds extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;122:579-82 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we examined the effect of Allium tuberosum seeds extract upon the expression of male rat sexual behavior, in order to know whether Allium tuberosum seeds extract possess aphrodisiac property...
- Gowda R, Cohen R, Khan I. Toad venom poisoning: resemblance to digoxin toxicity and therapeutic implications. Heart. 2003;89:e14 pubmed..The treatment approach to patients with suspected toad venom poisoning is described. ..
- McMahan J. Causing disabled people to exist and causing people to be disabled. Ethics. 2005;116:77-99 pubmed
- Ratnasooriya W, Jayakody J. Effects of aqueous extract of Alpinia calcarata rhizomes on reproductive competence of male rats. Acta Biol Hung. 2006;57:23-35 pubmed..Further, the HWE was nontoxic. It is concluded that A. calcarata rhizomes possess a strong and safe oral aphrodisiac activity...
- Chauhan N, Rao C, Dixit V. Effect of Curculigo orchioides rhizomes on sexual behaviour of male rats. Fitoterapia. 2007;78:530-4 pubmed..Penile erection index was also incremented in treated group...
- Zamble A, Sahpaz S, Brunet C, Bailleul F. Effects of Microdesmis keayana roots on sexual behavior of male rats. Phytomedicine. 2008;15:625-9 pubmed..A short-term toxicity study undertaken to establish the therapeutic index of aqueous extract, showed that a high dose of the extract (2g/kg body weight) caused no mortality or changes in rats' behavior. ..
- Yakubu M, Quadri A. Garcinia kola seeds: is the aqueous extract a true aphrodisiac in male Wistar rats?. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2012;9:530-5 pubmed..This study has refuted the claim that one of the rationales for consuming the seeds by the aged population of Nigeria is to enhance sexual invigoration in males. ..
- Gillis C. Panax ginseng pharmacology: a nitric oxide link?. Biochem Pharmacol. 1997;54:1-8 pubmed
- Pajovic B, Radosavljevic M, Radunović M, Radojevic N, Bjelogrlic B. Arthropods and their products as aphrodisiacs--review of literature. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012;16:539-47 pubmedAfter a short review of impotence, the definitions of erectants and aphrodisiacs are presented. The Authors propose division of arthropods according to the places of effect...
- Wacharapluesadee S, Boongird K, Wanghongsa S, Phumesin P, Hemachudha T. Drinking bat blood may be hazardous to your health. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:269 pubmed
- Chiou W, Wu T. 9-hydroxycanthin-6-one induces penile erection and delays ejaculation. J Sex Med. 2012;9:1027-36 pubmed publisher..longifolia regulates directly the muscle tone of corpus cavernosa and/or seminal vesicle (SV) remains unclear. Even until now, the compositions that could account for its aphrodisiac property are still unknown..
- Bridges T. Pharmaceutical aphrodisia. Curr Top Med Chem. 2007;7:1152 pubmed
- Tambi M, Imran M. Eurycoma longifolia Jack in managing idiopathic male infertility. Asian J Androl. 2010;12:376-80 pubmed publisher..The proprietary extract of Eurycoma longifolia Jack significantly improved the sperm quality in these patients, allowing for 11 (14.7%) spontaneous pregnancies...
- Balick M, Lee R. Maca: from traditional food crop to energy and libido stimulant. Altern Ther Health Med. 2002;8:96-8 pubmed
- Suresh S, Prithiviraj E, Prakash S. Effect of Mucuna pruriens on oxidative stress mediated damage in aged rat sperm. Int J Androl. 2010;33:22-32 pubmed publisher..pruriens. Collectively, sperm damage in ageing was significantly reduced by quenching ROS, improving antioxidant defence system and mitochondrial function...
- Gauthaman K, Ganesan A, Prasad R. Sexual effects of puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris) extract (protodioscin): an evaluation using a rat model. J Altern Complement Med. 2003;9:257-65 pubmed..The increase in ICP which confirms the proerectile aphrodisiac property of TT could possibly be the result of an increase in androgen and subsequent release of nitric oxide from the nerve endings innervating the corpus cavernosum. ..
- Chaturapanich G, Chaiyakul S, Verawatnapakul V, Pholpramool C. Effects of Kaempferia parviflora extracts on reproductive parameters and spermatic blood flow in male rats. Reproduction. 2008;136:515-22 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that alcohol extract of KD had an aphrodisiac activity probably via a marked increase in blood flow to the testis...
- Arletti R, Benelli A, Cavazzuti E, Scarpetta G, Bertolini A. Stimulating property of Turnera diffusa and Pfaffia paniculata extracts on the sexual-behavior of male rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1999;143:15-9 pubmed..Neither extract affected locomotor activity. These results seem to support the folk reputation of Turnera diffusa and Pfaffia paniculata as sexual stimulants. ..
- Zamble A, Martin Nizard F, Sahpaz S, Hennebelle T, Staels B, Bordet R, et al. Vasoactivity, antioxidant and aphrodisiac properties of Caesalpinia benthamiana roots. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;116:112-9 pubmed publisher..The action of Caesalpinia benthamiana on sexual behaviour and some assays on potential modes of action were performed...
- Balayssac S, Gilard V, Zedde C, Martino R, Malet Martino M. Analysis of herbal dietary supplements for sexual performance enhancement: first characterization of propoxyphenyl-thiohydroxyhomosildenafil and identification of sildenafil, thiosildenafil, phentolamine and tetrahydropalmatine as adulterants. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2012;63:135-50 pubmed publisher..The last formulation containing osthole, a bioactive natural coumarine improving sexual dysfunction, is most probably truly natural. ..
- Giridharan W, Papanikolou V, Knight L. 'Buzz' in the ear. Ear Nose Throat J. 2004;83:83 pubmed
- Kletter C, Glasl S, Presser A, Werner I, Reznicek G, Narantuya S, et al. Morphological, chemical and functional analysis of catuaba preparations. Planta Med. 2004;70:993-1000 pubmed..Neither aqueous nor methanolic extracts of the Trichilia catigua reference material nor alkaloid-enriched fractions of commercial samples showed any effect on the rabbit corpus cavernosum in an in vitro test. ..
- Erhabor J, Idu M. Aphrodisiac potentials of the ethanol extract of Aloe barbadensis Mill. root in male Wistar rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:360 pubmed publisher..The plant may also be used to treat hypotestosteronemia following its ability to increase testosterone. These findings therefore give backing to the acclaimed local use of A. barbadensis root as an aphrodisiac in males. ..
- Csupor D, Szekeres A, Kecskeméti A, Vékes E, Veres K, Micsinay A, et al. [Dietary supplements on the domestic market adulterated with sildenafil and tadalafil]. Orv Hetil. 2010;151:1783-9 pubmed publisher..of ten plant-based preparations, marketed in Hungary, and recommended as (or alleged to be) natural aphrodisiacs, are reported. Sildenafil and/or tadalafil or related analogs were detected in six of the ten products...
- Thakur M, Chauhan N, Bhargava S, Dixit V. A comparative study on aphrodisiac activity of some ayurvedic herbs in male albino rats. Arch Sex Behav. 2009;38:1009-15 pubmed publisher..The present results, therefore, support the folklore claim for the usefulness of these herbs and provide a scientific basis for their purported traditional usage...
- Ghosh K, Bhattacharya T. Chemical constituents of Piper betle Linn. (Piperaceae) roots. Molecules. 2005;10:798-802 pubmed..stigmast-4-en-3,6-dione. All these compounds were characterized by spectroscopic means. Isolation of these compounds from this source is being reported here for the first time. ..