Genomes and Genes
Summary: Drugs that are used to treat RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS.
- Vincent F, Morand E, Murphy K, Mackay F, Mariette X, Marcelli C. Antidrug antibodies (ADAb) to tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-specific neutralising agents in chronic inflammatory diseases: a real issue, a clinical perspective. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:165-78 pubmed publisher..Such an approach could improve chronic inflammatory disease management toward a personalized and more cost-effective approach. ..
- Harigai M, Takamura A, Atsumi T, Dohi M, Hirata S, Kameda H, et al. Elevation of KL-6 serum levels in clinical trials of tumor necrosis factor inhibitors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a report from the Japan College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee for Safety of Biological DMARDs. Mod Rheumatol. 2013;23:284-96 pubmed publisher..7 % of these patients. Serum KL-6 levels may increase during anti-TNF therapy without significant clinical events. In these patients, continuing treatment with TNF inhibitors under careful observation is a reasonable option. ..
- Dervieux T, Weinblatt M, Kivitz A, Kremer J. Methotrexate polyglutamation in relation to infliximab pharmacokinetics in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:908-10 pubmed publisher..1 to 20.8; p=0.02). None of the 12 patients with RBC MTXPG levels above 50 nmol/l tested positive for ATIs. These hypothesis-generating data indicate that MTXPGs are associated with infliximab pharmacokinetics and ATI formation. ..
- de Jong P, Hazes J, Barendregt P, Huisman M, Van Zeben D, van der Lubbe P, et al. Induction therapy with a combination of DMARDs is better than methotrexate monotherapy: first results of the tREACH trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:72-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, no differences were seen in medication adjustments due to adverse events after stratification for drug. Intramuscular and oral GCs are equally effective as bridging treatments and both can be used. ..
- Coates L, Navarro Coy N, Brown S, Brown S, McParland L, Collier H, et al. The TICOPA protocol (TIght COntrol of Psoriatic Arthritis): a randomised controlled trial to compare intensive management versus standard care in early psoriatic arthritis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013;14:101 pubmed publisher..isrctn30147736, nct01106079. ..
- Gabay C, Emery P, van Vollenhoven R, Dikranian A, Alten R, Pavelka K, et al. Tocilizumab monotherapy versus adalimumab monotherapy for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (ADACTA): a randomised, double-blind, controlled phase 4 trial. Lancet. 2013;381:1541-50 pubmed publisher..The adverse event profiles of tocilizumab and adalimumab were consistent with previous findings. F Hoffmann-La Roche. ..
- Machado P, Landewe R, Braun J, Baraliakos X, Hermann K, Hsu B, et al. MRI inflammation and its relation with measures of clinical disease activity and different treatment responses in patients with ankylosing spondylitis treated with a tumour necrosis factor inhibitor. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:2002-5 pubmed publisher..As a status and response measure ASDAS better reflects the spinal inflammatory disease process in AS than other composite measures. ..
- Shen C, Yeh K, Ou L, Yao T, Chen L, Huang J. Clinical features of children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis using the ILAR classification criteria: a community-based cohort study in Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2013;46:288-94 pubmed publisher..Ongoing disease activity was evident in a substantial number of children. These results provided a good starting point in understanding the epidemiology of this serious disease in the Chinese population. ..
- Bannwarth B, Kostine M, Poursac N. A pharmacokinetic and clinical assessment of tofacitinib for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2013;9:753-61 pubmed publisher..In view of its undetermined benefit to risk ratio, in the real-world population, tofacitinib should, for now, only be prescribed to selected patients. ..
- Spadaro A, Lubrano E, Marchesoni A, D Angelo S, Ramonda R, Addimanda O, et al. Remission in ankylosing spondylitis treated with anti-TNF-? drugs: a national multicentre study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:1914-9 pubmed publisher..Our real-life study on PR confirmed the effectiveness of ADA, ETA or INF as first or second anti-TNF-? drugs. The presence at baseline of enthesitis or psoriasis or low CRP values yielded a lower probability of obtaining PR. ..
- Choy E, Kavanaugh A, Jones S. The problem of choice: current biologic agents and future prospects in RA. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2013;9:154-63 pubmed publisher..We differentiate among the modes of action of each of these types of therapy and consider the challenges associated with their use in clinical practice. ..
- van der Goes M, Jacobs J, Jurgens M, Bakker M, Van Der Veen M, Van der Werf J, et al. Are changes in bone mineral density different between groups of early rheumatoid arthritis patients treated according to a tight control strategy with or without prednisone if osteoporosis prophylaxis is applied?. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24:1429-36 pubmed publisher..A small increase in lumbar BMD during the first year of treatment was found, regardless of use of glucocorticoids. ..
- Umićević Mirkov M, Cui J, Vermeulen S, Stahl E, Toonen E, Makkinje R, et al. Genome-wide association analysis of anti-TNF drug response in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1375-81 pubmed publisher..Using a multistage strategy, we have identified eight genetic loci associated with response to anti-TNF treatment. Further studies are required to validate these findings in additional patient collections. ..
- Cui J, Stahl E, Saevarsdottir S, Miceli C, Diogo D, Trynka G, et al. Genome-wide association study and gene expression analysis identifies CD84 as a predictor of response to etanercept therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003394 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which CD84 genotypes and/or expression may serve as a useful biomarker for response to etanercept treatment in RA patients of European ancestry. ..
- Pasma A, van T Spijker A, Hazes J, Busschbach J, Luime J. Factors associated with adherence to pharmaceutical treatment for rheumatoid arthritis patients: a systematic review. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2013;43:18-28 pubmed publisher..The strongest relation with adherence is found to be prior use of DMARDs before using anti-TNF and beliefs about the necessity of the medication. Because the last one is modifiable, this provides hope to improve adherence. ..
- Garcés S, Demengeot J, Benito Garcia E. The immunogenicity of anti-TNF therapy in immune-mediated inflammatory diseases: a systematic review of the literature with a meta-analysis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1947-55 pubmed publisher..74). ADA reduces drug response, an effect that can be attenuated by concomitant immunosuppression, which reduces ADA frequency. Drug immunogenicity should be considered for the management of patients receiving biological therapies. ..
- Nam J, Ramiro S, Gaujoux Viala C, Takase K, Leon Garcia M, Emery P, et al. Efficacy of biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs: a systematic literature review informing the 2013 update of the EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:516-28 pubmed publisher..It addresses different treatment strategies with the potential for reduction in therapy, particularly with early disease control, and highlights emerging therapies. ..
- Lee E, Fleischmann R, Hall S, Wilkinson B, Bradley J, Gruben D, et al. Tofacitinib versus methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:2377-86 pubmed publisher..The benefits of tofacitinib need to be considered in the context of the risks of adverse events. (Funded by Pfizer; ORAL Start ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01039688.). ..
- Bakker M, Cavet G, Jacobs J, Bijlsma J, Haney D, Shen Y, et al. Performance of a multi-biomarker score measuring rheumatoid arthritis disease activity in the CAMERA tight control study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:1692-7 pubmed publisher..Upon further validation, this test could be used to complement currently available disease activity measures and improve patient care and outcomes. ..
- Bykerk V, Ostor A, Alvaro Gracia J, Pavelka K, Ivorra J, Graninger W, et al. Tocilizumab in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis and inadequate responses to DMARDs and/or TNF inhibitors: a large, open-label study close to clinical practice. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:1950-4 pubmed publisher..5% (TNFi-previous) and 50.4% (TNFi-recent) patients achieved DAS28 remission. In patients with RA who were DMARD-IR/TNFi-IR, tocilizumab ± DMARDs provided rapid and sustained efficacy without unexpected safety concerns. ..
- Ribeiro A, Laurindo I, Guedes L, Saad C, Moraes J, Silva C, et al. Abatacept and reduced immune response to pandemic 2009 influenza A/H1N1 vaccination in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013;65:476-80 pubmed publisher..The results suggest an influence of costimulatory modulation in humoral response to this vaccine. ..
- Fagerli K, Lie E, van der Heijde D, Heiberg M, Kalstad S, Rødevand E, et al. Switching between TNF inhibitors in psoriatic arthritis: data from the NOR-DMARD study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1840-4 pubmed publisher..Evidence supporting this practice is limited, and we wanted to investigate the effectiveness of switching to a second TNFi...
- Plasencia C, Pascual Salcedo D, Nuno L, Bonilla G, Villalba A, Peiteado D, et al. Influence of immunogenicity on the efficacy of longterm treatment of spondyloarthritis with infliximab. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:1955-60 pubmed publisher..5%) vs 4/36 (11.1%), p=0.011). In patients with SpA treated with IFX, ATI formation is associated with a poor clinical response, the appearance of infusion reactions and the discontinuation of treatment. ..
- Gerfaud Valentin M, Maucort Boulch D, Hot A, Iwaz J, Ninet J, Durieu I, et al. Adult-onset still disease: manifestations, treatment, outcome, and prognostic factors in 57 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2014;93:91-9 pubmed publisher..GF and FDG-PET scans were of value in the diagnostic approach. The condition in highly symptomatic patients evolved to systemic AOSD, whereas more progressive patterns with arthritis predicted chronic AOSD. ..
- Ciurea A, Scherer A, Exer P, Bernhard J, Dudler J, Beyeler B, et al. Tumor necrosis factor ? inhibition in radiographic and nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis: results from a large observational cohort. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:3096-106 pubmed publisher..With the exception of patients with elevated CRP levels at baseline, higher rates of response to TNF inhibition were achieved in the group of patients with radiographic axial SpA than in the group with nonradiographic axial SpA. ..
- Schiff M, Weinblatt M, Valente R, van der Heijde D, Citera G, Elegbe A, et al. Head-to-head comparison of subcutaneous abatacept versus adalimumab for rheumatoid arthritis: two-year efficacy and safety findings from AMPLE trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:86-94 pubmed publisher..Overall, AE frequency was similar in both groups but there were less discontinuations due to AEs, SAEs, serious infections and fewer local ISRs with abatacept. ..
- Nam J, Villeneuve E, Hensor E, Conaghan P, Keen H, Buch M, et al. Remission induction comparing infliximab and high-dose intravenous steroid, followed by treat-to-target: a double-blind, randomised, controlled trial in new-onset, treatment-naive, rheumatoid arthritis (the IDEA study). Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:75-85 pubmed publisher..MTX+IFX was not statistically superior to MTX+intravenous steroid when combined with a treat-to-target approach. ..
- Detert J, Bastian H, Listing J, Weiß A, Wassenberg S, Liebhaber A, et al. Induction therapy with adalimumab plus methotrexate for 24 weeks followed by methotrexate monotherapy up to week 48 versus methotrexate therapy alone for DMARD-naive patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: HIT HARD, an investigator-initiated study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:844-50 pubmed publisher..This sustained effect was not found at the primary endpoint (DAS28 reduction). ..
- Canhao H, Rodrigues A, Mourão A, Martins F, Santos M, Canas Silva J, et al. Comparative effectiveness and predictors of response to tumour necrosis factor inhibitor therapies in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012;51:2020-6 pubmed publisher..Over 1 year, we found no difference in effectiveness between adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab. ..
- Gibofsky A. Comparative effectiveness of current treatments for rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Manag Care. 2012;18:S303-14 pubmed
- Glintborg B, Ostergaard M, Krogh N, Andersen M, Tarp U, Loft A, et al. Clinical response, drug survival, and predictors thereof among 548 patients with psoriatic arthritis who switched tumor necrosis factor ? inhibitor therapy: results from the Danish Nationwide DANBIO Registry. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:1213-23 pubmed publisher..Thirty-nine percent of the patients with PsA switched TNFi agents. Response rates and drug survival were lower after switching; however, half of the switchers had an ACR20 response 2 years after starting the first TNFi. ..
- Gaujoux Viala C, Nam J, Ramiro S, Landewe R, Buch M, Smolen J, et al. Efficacy of conventional synthetic disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, glucocorticoids and tofacitinib: a systematic literature review informing the 2013 update of the EULAR recommendations for management of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:510-5 pubmed publisher..Addition of low-dose glucocorticoids to csDMARD therapy produces benefits in early RA. Under tight control conditions, combination therapy with csDMARDs is no better than MTX monotherapy. Tofacitinib is a new DMARD with proven efficacy. ..
- Haroon N, Inman R, Learch T, Weisman M, Lee M, Rahbar M, et al. The impact of tumor necrosis factor ? inhibitors on radiographic progression in ankylosing spondylitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:2645-54 pubmed publisher..Treatment with TNF? inhibitors appears to reduce radiographic progression in AS patients, especially with early initiation and with longer duration of followup. ..
- Barnabe C, Thanh N, Ohinmaa A, Homik J, Barr S, Martin L, et al. Healthcare service utilisation costs are reduced when rheumatoid arthritis patients achieve sustained remission. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1664-8 pubmed publisher..Coupled with an expected increase in productivity from improved disease control, there is societal benefit to the utilisation of biologics in RA management to achieve treatment goals. ..
- van Vollenhoven R, Fleischmann R, Cohen S, Lee E, Garcia Meijide J, Wagner S, et al. Tofacitinib or adalimumab versus placebo in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:508-19 pubmed publisher..Funded by Pfizer; ORAL Standard ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00853385.). ..
- Conaghan P, Durez P, Alten R, Burmester G, Tak P, Klareskog L, et al. Impact of intravenous abatacept on synovitis, osteitis and structural damage in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate: the ASSET randomised controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1287-94 pubmed publisher..This randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase IIIb study evaluated the impact of abatacept on MRI pathology as a primary outcome in methotrexate (MTX)-refractory patients with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Vermeer M, Kuper H, Moens H, Drossaers Bakker K, van der Bijl A, van Riel P, et al. Sustained beneficial effects of a protocolized treat-to-target strategy in very early rheumatoid arthritis: three-year results of the Dutch Rheumatoid Arthritis Monitoring remission induction cohort. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013;65:1219-26 pubmed publisher..0 (IQR 3.0-13.0) for the total SHS. In very early RA, T2T leads to high (sustained) remission rates, improved physical function and health-related quality of life, and limited radiographic damage after 3 years in daily clinical practice. ..
- Tanaka Y, Yamaoka K. JAK inhibitor tofacitinib for treating rheumatoid arthritis: from basic to clinical. Mod Rheumatol. 2013;23:415-24 pubmed publisher..Taken together, an orally available kinase inhibitor tofacitinib targeting JAK-mediated signals would be expected to be a new option for RA treatment. ..
- Wollenhaupt J, Albrecht K, Kruger K, Müller Ladner U. The new 2012 German recommendations for treating rheumatoid arthritis : differences compared to the European standpoint. Z Rheumatol. 2013;72:6-9 pubmed publisher..The guidelines also include a treatment algorithm for sequential therapy of RA with disease-modifying agents including biologics. ..
- O Dell J, Mikuls T, Taylor T, Ahluwalia V, Brophy M, Warren S, et al. Therapies for active rheumatoid arthritis after methotrexate failure. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:307-18 pubmed publisher..Funded by the Cooperative Studies Program, Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Research and Development, and others; CSP 551 RACAT ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00405275.) ..
- Fleischmann R, Kremer J, Cush J, Schulze Koops H, Connell C, Bradley J, et al. Placebo-controlled trial of tofacitinib monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:495-507 pubmed publisher..Funded by Pfizer; ORAL Solo ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00814307.). ..
- Wasko M, Dasgupta A, Hubert H, Fries J, Ward M. Propensity-adjusted association of methotrexate with overall survival in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:334-42 pubmed publisher..Only MTX use for >1 year was associated with lower risks of mortality, but associations were not stronger with longer durations of use. MTX use was associated with a 70% reduction in mortality in RA. ..
- Winthrop K, Baddley J, Chen L, Liu L, Grijalva C, Delzell E, et al. Association between the initiation of anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy and the risk of herpes zoster. JAMA. 2013;309:887-95 pubmed publisher..09 (95% CI, 0.88-1.36). Among patients with RA and other inflammatory diseases, those who initiated anti-TNF therapies were not at higher risk of herpes zoster compared with patients who initiated nonbiologic treatment regimens. ..
- Smolen J, Landewe R, Breedveld F, Buch M, Burmester G, Dougados M, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs: 2013 update. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:492-509 pubmed publisher..They are based on evidence and expert opinion and intended to improve outcome in patients with RA. ..
- Peterfy C, Østergaard M, Conaghan P. MRI comes of age in RA clinical trials. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:794-6 pubmed publisher..The time is right for regulatory authorities to include MRI as an alternative to radiographic data in support of claims of inhibition of progression of structural damage in RA trials...
- Yano F, Hojo H, Ohba S, Fukai A, Hosaka Y, Ikeda T, et al. A novel disease-modifying osteoarthritis drug candidate targeting Runx1. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:748-53 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that TD-198946 is a novel class of DMOAD candidate, and that targeting Runx1 will provide a promising new approach in the development of disease-modifying drugs against OA. ..
- Smolen J, Emery P, Fleischmann R, van Vollenhoven R, Pavelka K, Durez P, et al. Adjustment of therapy in rheumatoid arthritis on the basis of achievement of stable low disease activity with adalimumab plus methotrexate or methotrexate alone: the randomised controlled OPTIMA trial. Lancet. 2014;383:321-32 pubmed publisher..Outcomes were much the same whether adalimumab was continued or withdrawn in patients who initially responded to adalimumab plus methotrexate. AbbVie. ..
- Rubbert Roth A. Assessing the safety of biologic agents in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012;51 Suppl 5:v38-47 pubmed publisher..Safe use of biologic agents requires thorough risk assessment of potential candidates for treatment and careful monitoring during and after therapy. ..
- Horak P, Skácelová M, Hejduk K, Smrzova A, Pavelka K. Abatacept and its use in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in the Czech Republic-data from the ATTRA registry. Clin Rheumatol. 2013;32:1451-8 pubmed publisher..Just one non-serious allergic reaction was reported. Data from the ATTRA registry confirms a good overall efficacy and safety profile and a very good on drug survival with abatacept. ..